8.0

1. Dec 15, 2011
    Simple the best game I have played since Oblivion was release. I have not had any major issues and I pre-ordered and have been playing since release. That said, there were minor graphics issues that were fixed with the first patch and that patch did create some minor in game bugs that should be easy to patch. However if they made the game this much more awesome then Oblivion I cant waitSimple the best game I have played since Oblivion was release. I have not had any major issues and I pre-ordered and have been playing since release. That said, there were minor graphics issues that were fixed with the first patch and that patch did create some minor in game bugs that should be easy to patch. However if they made the game this much more awesome then Oblivion I cant wait til the construction set gets released so the modding Com can start working and the next expansion WOOO HOOO Expand
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    Depsite certain nostalgic critics, Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game to date. It has the same in depth, complex RPG gaming that TES games have always had, with some slight (welcome) modifications, but a more visceral combat experience. Glitches are a problem, but no more so than Oblivion suffered on release, and the glitches are slowly being patched.
    My favorite game of all time.
    My favorite game of all time. Seriously, this is RPG gaming at its finest.
  3. Dec 18, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is simply one of the greatest single player games of all time! The graphics are absolutely astounding in every aspect. The gameplay is incredible. You really do feel like your apart of the story and that it's up to you to make the decision at the right times. There are some very minor flaws with this game but i stress only minor, plus what game is perfect?The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is simply one of the greatest single player games of all time! The graphics are absolutely astounding in every aspect. The gameplay is incredible. You really do feel like your apart of the story and that it's up to you to make the decision at the right times. There are some very minor flaws with this game but i stress only minor, plus what game is perfect? Some of the very few flaws with this game, and other Bethesda games is the Save system. The seem to follow the old school save system where the "auto save" feature for this game is very scarce and you must remember to save the game manually before entering specific areas or you'll find yourself 30 minutes behind should you be slane. Another old school errer which they make is the invisible barrier. Personally I thought that this feature would have been made obsolete. Clearly not the case but it does exist within the game. Moving onto positives tho, the thought of fighting a dragon 1 vs 1 would generally frighten people, but in Skyrim you really do crave the opportunity battling with them and also giants with their humerous "pet Mammoths" as I like to call them. There is so much to do in Skyrim I wot spoil anything for you now but if ther is ANY game that you buy this year, i emplore you, PLEASE buy Skyrim, you will not be disappointed! Expand
  4. Dec 19, 2011
    After 100 hours of Skyrim I have to say that Bethesda Softworks has made a big leap with Skyrim. It has ALOT of content ingame. There's alot of things to do. You can explore dungeons, do quests, join guilds, master your skills and even try to kill everyone in the world.
    The sidequests are good, but guild quests aren't so good. (Possible spoiler alert!!) Like in Mage guild, there wasn't much time as a pupil. In oblivion you had to do quests to gain ranks and when you were high ranked enough, the "main" part of the questline starts. In Skyrim, you sign up as a pupil to the guild, but after 2 quests you're already on way to become the archmage. There isn't a feeling of progress, it's pretty disappointing.
    The holds (cities) are very interesting. Maybe the first hold you'll see is Whiterun. The first time I got there, I was amazed by the views, there's great mountains close by and they're veeery nice looking. Sometimes you just go somewhere just to see the nice scenery of Skyrim.
    Even though Skyrim has glitches, I haven't encountered glitches that would ruin my game experience. All the glitches that I encountered were rather funny! Like a mammoth dropping from the sky or giant hitting you to the skies.
    The combat is alot better than Oblivions. They could have done it better, but it doesn't care so much.
    So I have played Skyrim for 100 hours now and there's still pretty much to do. Just gotta do quests before the Construction Set (the same program that dev's used to make Skyrim) comes out, which means that everyone can make their own mods easily.
    Overall Skyrim is a great game! I have always loved Elder Scrolls and always will. If you have PC and console, buy it on PC. PC has mods, consoles doesn't.
  5. Dec 29, 2011
    It is one of the best games in which I played! Skirim simply bomb in series The elder scrolls! World research gives unknown pleasure, the world lives! Certainly there are some bugs, but with patches they are gradually corrected! Manually fulfilled vaults, a drawing, all in this game is ideal. Magnificence Skirim can be compared only to magnificence Oblivion in due time!!
  6. Dec 31, 2011
    While The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen theseWhile The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen these past years. That's the main reason why I did not give this game a 10/10. Lost 1 point for lack of ambiance amongst the world. Exploring the world itself can take time and not to mention playing on "Master" difficulty will add plenty of hours to main quests and side quests. Whilst playing on anything below "Master" will definitely leave you wanting for more since the main quest is a bit short but can be elongated if the difficulty setting is changed. Then again, there are plenty of other quests the game provides you that will keep you busy through months, that is if you're the perfectionist or adventurer type. There are plenty of crafts to master from smithing to enchanting weaponry. I took another point off due to the basic level up system Skyrim has, while there are a variety of options there's not enough to say it is a true RPG leveling system. It follows more of the likes of Dragon Age, which is simplistic and does not really leave room to create unique characters from pures to hybrids. The giants are stronger than dragons debate I can say it is the difficulty level you're playing and the dragon you're fighting. A regular dragon is amongst the easiest, whilst a frost dragon can 1 hit KO the character. Most of these people complaining about the length obviously didn't take the time to change the difficulty setting of the game and just basically rushed through the main story instead of allowing themselves to enjoy this game. There's tons of books scattered around to collect that provide knowledge of certain areas, characters, history, organizations, and ect that can keep you busy reading if you're the person who enjoys expanding you're knowledge about Skyrim. I have to agree with some people stating some side quests left more to desire and that's another reason why I'm not giving this game a 10/10. About glitches and bugs found in Skyrim, we have to understand this is an open world sand box game so expect plenty of bugs and glitches. There's really nothing game breaking other than some words cannot be learned due to a bug on the game but does not necessarily impair you from completing quests.Overall this game is worth the $60.00 for players who are RPG fans. Many people claim this game is repetitive but which game isn't? FPS games = shoot/mission over/ cinematic/ infiltrate shoot/ mission over/ cinematic. That debate loses plenty of credibility fast as this game provides plenty of other options to keep yourself busy and away from monotonous dungeon clearing. Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    One of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admitOne of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admit it's hard to stop playing, even after completing the whole game twice. BUT, there's the feeling that something is missing. What could it be? Well, once you get past the distractions, you will realize how utterly broken this game is; it's highly unbalanced in every possible aspect, and it favors exploiting the game's leveling mechanics instead of actually playing in order to level up your skills. If you choose to be a wizard, you will soon realize that magic is pretty weak once you reach a certain point in the game or select a higher difficulty, because the only way to increase magic damage is picking two perks that will (together) boost it by 50%, and that's it. As for the weapons, skill value and perks will increase it's damage by 215% or more (depending on the weapon), and it can be improved with smithing to give over 800% it's initial damage, without cheating. This can be achieved by using your alchemy skill to make potions that increase enchanting, then drink it and enchant your equipment to boost alchemy, repeat the process several times until you have the best possible enchantment potions, then use it to enchant armors which will boost your smithing skill, wear it, drink a smithing potion made with your best alchemy boosting equipment, and, finally, improve your weapon at the grinstone. Then you drink another potion to boost your enchanting and put enchantments on your armor that will increase damage output from weapons. This is the formula for power in Skyrim. I know, it sounds crazy. Anyway, while a Mage will start the game dealing 8 damage with initial spells and improve to a maximum of 80 damage with the top spells and perks, a Warrior or Archer will begin dealing about the same ammount of damage with inferior weapons and skills, but will have his damage improved to over 650 with top enchantments and weapons. And this is only a small example of how unbalanced and exploitable Skyrim is. Once you have your enchanted equipment, all other items you find in the game are just useless and inferior. Skyrim allows the player to save/load at any time, another exploit that takes the fun out of the game; what's the point of having the thrill of being caught pickpocketing when everyone saves the game before such actions to prevent failure? You will save before doing anything in this game to assure your success, because the game allows it. I can't give Skyrim a higher score because, even though it is awesome, it was not tested and balanced before it's release nor patched later, it is broken and will always be. Expand
  8. Jan 7, 2012
    Has passed all for 150 hours, there was a pair of not working quests, and desire to find still something interesting, especially wasn't picked much. Despite that what to complete it it is possible indefinitely, game beautiful enough and thought over.
  9. Jan 13, 2012
    Much like Oblivion this is a game which provides an entirely new world to explore and interact with. The focus is on creating your story and no one really demands of you to be Dragonborn and follow the main quest until the end. I have had loads of fun simply playing as a thief, assassin and an archer. If you are creative and keen on roleplaying, this game is for you.
    There is however at
    There is however at least one huge downside to this game. Where the other Elder Scrolls always managed to make me feel as a part of the world, Skyrim makes me feel distant to it. It doesn't persuade me about its own history, and most of the time I feel like I am playing someone else's made up world.
    Despite that huge downside, this is still one of the best games of 2011 and a must buy for anyone looking for some 200 hours worth of escapism.
  10. Jan 16, 2012
    A startling amount of content in a beautiful package. The environments and the soundtrack blend beautifully to create a world you really want to get lost in. And with so many quests to do, you can easily pour over a hundred hours into this great game. Though there are bound to be glitches in a game of this magnitude as well as a lack of a fully substantial story, Skyrim still offers theA startling amount of content in a beautiful package. The environments and the soundtrack blend beautifully to create a world you really want to get lost in. And with so many quests to do, you can easily pour over a hundred hours into this great game. Though there are bound to be glitches in a game of this magnitude as well as a lack of a fully substantial story, Skyrim still offers the most immersive and enormous world for gamers to explore. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    A fun game with lots of things to do. However, the world doesn't feel very immersive mainly due to the ai. People you just spoke with will forget you in an instant and tell you something generic, such as they took an arrow to the knee or that you shouldn't steal from them. Combat is dull and ultimately depends on the number of health potions you've brought or the level of your stats. FastA fun game with lots of things to do. However, the world doesn't feel very immersive mainly due to the ai. People you just spoke with will forget you in an instant and tell you something generic, such as they took an arrow to the knee or that you shouldn't steal from them. Combat is dull and ultimately depends on the number of health potions you've brought or the level of your stats. Fast travel removes the excitement of exploration, but traveling is ineffective if you don't use it. Dispite having the choice of compainions, the world feels really lonely and there isn't really any characters with a lot of personality (especially guards). It still gets a 8 out of 10 because of the sheer amount of content. Expand
  12. Jan 21, 2012
    Skyrim is the best RPG game of 2011 year. If you like RPG games you should play it. However it is "best" not because it is perfect, but mostly because there are no alternatives (not much RPG games in 2011 year). What's GOOD: Huge world to explore, nice graphics. What's BAD: Combat system, main character development, game physics, AI, ambient sound, minimal player's influence on game world.Skyrim is the best RPG game of 2011 year. If you like RPG games you should play it. However it is "best" not because it is perfect, but mostly because there are no alternatives (not much RPG games in 2011 year). What's GOOD: Huge world to explore, nice graphics. What's BAD: Combat system, main character development, game physics, AI, ambient sound, minimal player's influence on game world. The game fails in the RPG's core principle - character development. Take for example Diablo 2, I had to start playing Diablo 2 from scratch like 10 times, because at some point I was unable to progress further because my character build - suck.Or take as example WOW, where your build and equipment is crucial for game success. This is not the case for Skyrim. Combat system and physics are very disappointing, for example you are holding a huge heavy mace, and swing at your opponent with it, what you would probably expect is something like Sauron from Lord of the rings when he kicks ass with his mace, and enemies flying miles away, in Skyrim however your enemy will stand like it was, it will not fall, nor it will show any sign that you hit him. In general the game lacks physics, except for collision detection, and gravity, and even it fails often. The game AI is dumb, enemies will simply attack you (run to you or do range attacks(bow, magic)), Don't expect NPCs to attack in groups, heal each other, retreat. Your influence on the game world, is very limited. You can exterminate whole city, no one cares, nothing will change. Due to those facts the game reminds a world viewer application, and most likely you will become quickly bored after 40-60 hours of wandering and admiring nature. And still you should play this game to mark a check box that you did it, and forget about it for an year, then give it a try again ("maybe it's not so bad and I can find something worth in it") play it for 2-3 days and tell yourself "Nah it's a boring crap", throw it away and go play some fun MMORPG with your friends. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    Skyrim Leveling has been truly fixed up with the presentation of just out of the plastic new perks. The Skyrim perk Control is determined to help you pick how to build your component. Not with standing provided that you move to playing as an ideal class or blending things up, the Skyrim perk guide will prod you to settle on a clear decision.

Every playing point has skill requirements that

Every playing point has skill requirements that you ought to meet before you could unlock it, so youâ
  14. Mar 13, 2012
    If this game couldn't be more epic, the PC version has access to the modding community, making this game 9001 times greater than it was to start(and this game was JESUS when it came out) for those who said this game sucked, look at MW3, than tell me this game sucks, should your opinion not change, I'd recommend a good psychiatric facility for you.
  15. Apr 19, 2012
    I must admit that Skyrim has disappointed me. It didn't live up to my expectations. This game is an improved version of TES IV: Oblivion. It doesn't really show any innovation. Just improvements... What this game is only good for is exploring. And even if caves and ruins all differ, it still quickly gets repetitive. There's not enough types of opponents. Dragons on the other hand, I mustI must admit that Skyrim has disappointed me. It didn't live up to my expectations. This game is an improved version of TES IV: Oblivion. It doesn't really show any innovation. Just improvements... What this game is only good for is exploring. And even if caves and ruins all differ, it still quickly gets repetitive. There's not enough types of opponents. Dragons on the other hand, I must admit, are epicly made. They are innovative.. But other than that... Well, ok, random events, these are fun as well. But besides that, the story and all of the side quests are really boring. I was seriously hoping that they'll make the story really entertaining... They had so many years to work on that. But all they've done is that they have improved few things, and added dragons. Graphic-wise they've done a good job. I really think this game is far too hyped up. Comparing it to oblivion, it just doesn't offer enough of new things. I got bored sooner than I expected. Oh, and also... "Romancing" is the most shallow in the history of games here. And the only purpose of having a wife is that she may start a shop, and give you money every once in a while... Pros: -Huge open world, which is fun to explore... until it gets boring. -Graphics. -Dragons. Cons: -Just doesn't offer a lot of new things, compared to Oblivion. -Boring main story and side quests. -Could use more types of enemies. Expand
  16. May 8, 2012
    the game was fun for the first 30 hours or so but unfortunately after you began to become aware of how the game feels a bit uninspired and lackluster
  17. May 17, 2012
    Its a mixed feeling really, the game graphics and physics, terrain access, the lighting and shadows!! It truly remarkable... You can see the amount of work put into making this game. But, somehow when you start the game, you feel let down, by the console like transfers/selection, you wanted a prehistoric book like feel and it wasn't there... and as you level up you somehow feel that youIts a mixed feeling really, the game graphics and physics, terrain access, the lighting and shadows!! It truly remarkable... You can see the amount of work put into making this game. But, somehow when you start the game, you feel let down, by the console like transfers/selection, you wanted a prehistoric book like feel and it wasn't there... and as you level up you somehow feel that you can't make that tiny variation in your skills, without the attributes that you normally have in all Elder Scroll Games prior to Skyrim... And the popular saying is, "its been dumbed down".

But then you play for 5 hours... And you get used to it! Slowly you start liking the sheer amount of content! And with the creation kit launched... The variations with the number of people willing to put in dedicated amount of work hours to take the game to a whole new level! I guess its something like reading LOTR, you start with the dreary old patterns, where all the descriptions really gets to you. until it sticks to you! And then you will be in the virtual world for a lot more time that you actually thought you would spend. And you will end up like me, when i was adamant that i would not rate it more than 7... i've already marked it to 9. The more you play the more you want to play. three cheers to the Modders though! 9 on 10
  18. Jul 15, 2012
    What can I say about Skyrim that has not already been said? If you have played the Elder Scrolls before, and thought, "Gee, I wish I could fight dragons and absorb their powers in a Viking-esque portion of the world of Tamriel", then this is your game.
    The grapics are stellar, but if you don't like them, you can mod them for higher textures, and that is where the greatness starts. This game is fully moddable and changeable. If you had the controls, plug in a controller or download one of the control mods. Or, get up off your can and write one yourself.
    Want lightsabers? My little pony? Warcraft? Naked girls? You can put any or all of this in the game, and way, way more.
    Even the game mechanics themselves have mods that you can make or download.

Underneath the layers and layers of customization, the game is the classic Elder Scrolls series, but with added streamlining learned from the creation of the Fallout games. Added are kill shot animations, and a much smoother looking interface. As in all Elder scrolls games, you can really craft the type of hero you want, and adventure in your own way. Want to be a simple wood cutter? A massive orc warrior? A sly rogue? A flower picker? A mass murderer? A powerful wizard? Decide as you go? You can do it all and more. It's this level of choice and freedom that makes Skyrim one of my favorite games of all time. Sure, there are some parts where the action is drab and the quests are predictable, and the game does have some bugs... but the sheer amount of AAA content and options in the game is so impressive that it more than compensates for the shortcomings. You can literally play this game for years and find new content every time and have a unique experience! STOP READING AND BUY IT NOW!!! I give Skyrim my highest recommendations!
  19. Aug 9, 2012
    Beautiful and fun, but oh so ronery. You see, I really like sandbox, open-world games, and I like Norse mythology, a bit of violence, some magic, some cool stuff, and Skyrim delivers on all of that, not to mention graphics that even look pretty on my 256MB GPU (except for horrible shadows on the characters, but that can be tweaked). The trouble is, it's more of an action/exploration gameBeautiful and fun, but oh so ronery. You see, I really like sandbox, open-world games, and I like Norse mythology, a bit of violence, some magic, some cool stuff, and Skyrim delivers on all of that, not to mention graphics that even look pretty on my 256MB GPU (except for horrible shadows on the characters, but that can be tweaked). The trouble is, it's more of an action/exploration game than an RPG. Your character can be male or female, any race, and look how you like (provided you like the weather-beaten, gaunt look. Mods mods mods), but beyond that you're not really a character. You have no personality, and neither really does anyone else. I didn't feel attached to *any* of the characters in the game, including my own. Dialogue options were limited and uninspired, and followers seemed to have one set of options to ask them about, which were mostly about the mechanics of having a follower or what their job was.

The secondary plotline, whilst undeniably gritty and shade-of-grey did not give you any really morally satisfying options: side with the racist, nationalist stormcloaks, or the corrupt, domineering farce of an Empire whose soldiers decided to cut off your head for no better reason than just liking to do that kind of thing.

Quests felt hollow, for the most part. Go fetch thing from some caves and kill a loads of people/things on the way, and overload your packs with junk. I liked the nordic/ germanic voice acting, but it was still a bit bland and they were clearly speaking American, even if they were doing it in their own accents "Gotta lay low for a while, still got a ways to go" etc. They also picked some really distinctive voices and used them on a load of characters, without trying to vary their lines, delivery or intonation at all. So the shopkeeper in Riverwood is the shopkeeper in Whiterun is the King of the Forsworn etc.

Now, none of this would be a problem if it was multiplayer, because you could RP with real people and/or just go on dungeon raids and have fun times, but it's not. So, if you like epic storylines and atmosphere, great scripts and genuinely likable characters, go get Dragon Age (1, not 2). And if you want a fun blast with fast-paced violent action, get left 4 dead 2. Skyrim makes a great initial impression, but after a while you just feel like you're still sitting in the bath long after the water's gone cold.
  20. Aug 9, 2012
    I can't say that i didn't enjoy this game as i played it more than 100 hours, yet i have to say that it didnt live up to my expectations. first of all i liked about this game, that you can go anywhere and there is alot to explore and steal from houses ( ;) ), just like every other TES part, and apart from average textures it still has good looks that create a good vibe when exploring
    the
    the dungeons are fun at first but they grow old after you have seen a few of the same type (especially ancient nord ruins!). when you figured them out you don't feel the urge to enter unless you have to, alltough sometimes they have somethings special (a story of failed expedition, a quest to seek someone upon entering, a unique spot and boss other than another random named dead guy etc) which can be refreshing. as a result i would say they did an average to good job on them regarding that there are so many and i visited alot of them until it became annoying, but i wished they used more kinds of different dungeon types.
    the combat system is great at first as you can have 2 one handed weapons, a shield and a one handed weapon, a bow, a spell and a one handed weapon, two different spells, twice the same spell for more power or a two handed weapon. especially the magic system is something different and i liked it. after some alltough time it annoyed me to change weapons (if you will) to cast. i realy had to put shield and weapon away to cast a spell, with a menu that was clearly designed for a console, and re-equip them to continue fighting. as a pc gamer this realy pissed me off because there was no effort put in to make this work on pc (the same applies for the item menu, which is just dumb for pc). this is the first thing that realy annoyed me, because as an honest pc customer and fan of tes since morrowind i feel cheated. also: items were ok, after somepoint you just had the best and there could have been more variety or special items but its ok all in all.
    this takes me right to the guilds, which have a mixed quality in my opinion. the good guilds in my opinion were the dark brotherhood and the thiefs guild. i enjoyed the questlines far more than the main questline! they were realy well done in my opinion. the mage guild was just ok, nothing special and i missed more locations as there were in tes3 and 4. its almost all about that stupid sphere you find in the first quest, there are some side quests (old orc says get my books ;) ) but not that many, and its realy not that surprising: find sphere, learn its dangerous and powerful, elves steal it, you kill elves + misterious yet meaningless psijic guys who dont have any use more than taking it away in the end. i missed that there was nothing special they taught you or invited you to join (as the nightingales for example) they just appeared and were gone. end of story. in my opinion a lot potential was wasted here, but the quest themselves were fun and so all in all as said the guild is ok. now the companions: the questline was short, it had one nice twist in it with the werewolf thing and its nice you could choose how it would contine. in my opinion also a lot wasted here: do 1-2 quests and they just make you a werewolf. why not make you discover the dark secret? it could have been better, all in all just ok, yet as said too short in my opinion. the civil war factions and questline were the worst in my opinion. it was no fun at all just a big pain in the ass. the quests were dull and repetitive and the result was: no matter what its all the same in red or blue. the worst thing was it werent real factions to begin with and they only matttered in very few things and only for this short war period after which nothing you did seemed to matter at all...this was realy disappointing as it was well introduced in the beginning of the story. also all in all the guild master status didn't realy matter. i tried one quest and after that i never returned, as i also couldnt realy do anything else. further more i missed how every city had a fighters or whatever guild house and different quests for different status in the guild.
    the sidequestlines also had mixed quality but all in all they did a great job keeping the game fun, especially the daedric ones as they were realy unique! also some quests to become thane turned out to be fun. the rest realy had mixed quality as there were investigations in cities that were fun or the usual get something out of a dungeon, which wasnt that great most of the time. the main quest was not too bad but as said two guild questlines outshined it and it didnt feel all that important as it could have.
    further i missed the arena from oblivion the magnitude you had in morrowind/oblivion but i also had alot of fun being the explorakhin in this world. for me it is a 6/10 regarding especially the poor pc version, the civil war, a lack of an average guild in cities, the dungeons for people who love playing the game for a long long time.
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    There are many great games , and I understand that Skyrim is called one of the best games , the graphics are great no doubt , but I find it a complicated and extreme long game.
    BUt the Elder Scrolls are a CLASSIC!
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is simply outstanding. The depth of the story, the details of the world, the shocking beauty of the various environments the character met during his/her journey, the music, the characterization of the several NPC you met make a mix only games may hope to reach. My opinion: superlative.
  23. May 26, 2013
    Skyrim would've been a great game if it was in the rightful set of hands that truly had the compassion for the Elders Scrolls series. The concept of Skyrim is great, but was very poorly executed. The A.I is terrible. I thought I was in a world where I was surrounded by people who were lobotomized. The animations were poorly done. The followers are useless. Instead of them helping me out ISkyrim would've been a great game if it was in the rightful set of hands that truly had the compassion for the Elders Scrolls series. The concept of Skyrim is great, but was very poorly executed. The A.I is terrible. I thought I was in a world where I was surrounded by people who were lobotomized. The animations were poorly done. The followers are useless. Instead of them helping me out I found myself helping them out because they were being slaughtered by the enemies. Theirs simply not enough control over them. The bugs and glitches are migraine creators, and some can impact quests to which you're unable to complete. Don't bother to ask how to fix it on Bethesda's official help forums because the staffs are way to busy on other things rather than to help you with your technical support needs. On April 15, 2013 Bethesda announced that they're no longer releasing DLCs therefor leaving us with unanswered questions.. Who's the next ruler of Skyrim? What is the deal with the Thalmor? those two are the main ones that needs to be answered. Skyrim needs a well deserve ending, not to be shafted. The Storyline was OK, but not great. I know kids who can create a better story then what was presented to us. The price of this game was outrageous. NOT worth it IMO. Skyrim is an incomplete beta project that should've never been release to the public. Without mods this game would be terrible. The menu's were designed for Xbox users, not PC. Without mods this game would be unbearable to play. I'm very concern for the next Elders scrolls game under Bethesda control. Expand
  24. Apr 28, 2014
    I just met Skyrim really good and my verdict is .... awful. Storyline ... where is storyline ? If Bethesda think story like " Dragons ! go kill them all , you are dragon killer like Kickapoo (I don't care) chosen by gods and you have skill to kill dragons blah blah blah blah "
    and that's all ? really ? Another bad thing is stupid skill tree where goes Strange , dexterity ? I can't see them. Bugs ? lot's of bugs. Graphic looks like .... really bad (u can place .... here any bad word).
    Even if i install bunch of mods and DLC - Yes DLC 8 GB of textures ! and what ? nothing change in graphic ! Well Done Bethesda ! Also best way to make Game Of The Year is using oldest game like Fallout 3 add some Swords remove fire weapons and add new world plus a little better graphic and it's done ! GOTY ! At end it's funny but it's true The Elder Scrolls : Skyrim have DLC ... yep DLC not expansion pack just DLC it's funny. Im bored of playing in Skyrim Copy and Past i want my money refund but it's not possible :/ .
  25. Nov 13, 2014
    When I started playing Skyrim I was flashed, the world was big and looked good and it really felt like an Elder Scrolls game.

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is. The game is basically a giant hub for Draugr dungeons with a dragon here and there that I can oneshot with the right build, no matter how strong. The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is.
    The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which was already a major downgrade from Morrowind, but at least Oblivion fixed a lot of bugs compared to Morrowind.
    Skyrim on the other hand has a worse leveling system, a less complex fighting system, badly balanced skill trees, uncreative quests, a badly written plot and badly empty constructed Cities.

The only thing rescuing Skyrim from being completely redundant is how easy it is to mod, like any recent game made by Bethesda.
  26. Jan 23, 2012
    Ok first thing to tell you is that I have finished this game, all the major quest lines and am starting my second play thru, this time as a mage, rather than melee shield combo. This is a very good game, with some pretty major irritants. Ok, what's good, the main quest lines are well done, the world is huge and looks pretty good (thanks to mods) it has that "just one more quest" feelingOk first thing to tell you is that I have finished this game, all the major quest lines and am starting my second play thru, this time as a mage, rather than melee shield combo. This is a very good game, with some pretty major irritants. Ok, what's good, the main quest lines are well done, the world is huge and looks pretty good (thanks to mods) it has that "just one more quest" feeling that will keep you up to 2am and mods add to it all the time, lightsabres? yes please. Ok, so what is not good, too many draughar, are those the only enemies? it seems like it too often. Too many bandits, I would have liked much more enemy variety. Loot, any stuff you find is generally only useful at low levels, even the Daedric artifacts and unique items are no good, you can craft better items yourself. You basically collect money to no good purpose as all I ever bought were crafting supplies. The townsfolk, bethesda seem to have hired 4 voice actors for the whole game, James Hetfield, another guy, a norwegian female and another woman, that's it. And they all spout the same line again and again "EVERYTHING'S for sale!" etc
    People don't look great but mods help this. I also HATED that they'd dumbed down the RPG element of the game by removing stats and streamlining skills. Anyway, I will probably play it thru again, so it must be good, but it could have been better!
  27. Nov 12, 2011
    The world of Skyrim is huge. The graphics are truly amazing. The gameplay is great. This is really worth your money if you love role playing games! I understand that some long-time Elder Scrolls fans might be a bit disappointed with some of the aspects of the game though. Its complexity has been somewhat scaled down to fit the console crowd and casual gamer better. But overall I'm notThe world of Skyrim is huge. The graphics are truly amazing. The gameplay is great. This is really worth your money if you love role playing games! I understand that some long-time Elder Scrolls fans might be a bit disappointed with some of the aspects of the game though. Its complexity has been somewhat scaled down to fit the console crowd and casual gamer better. But overall I'm not personally bothered with that. The game is still immersive and fun, and it's got all the bells and whistles a true role playing game should have. I have shaved one point off my score (from a 10 to a 9) simply because of the few but noticable bugs in the game. Don't worry though, they don't spoil the enjoyment of this fantastic game. Expand
  28. Nov 13, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that I love open-world games. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion though, I much prefer Gothic 2 and 3 and Risen. This is my first review, and I feel compelled to write it because in the span of two or three hours I became hooked by Skyrim. The experience began very weak in my opinion, partially because of the way it was delivered and partially because my NVidiaLet me begin by saying that I love open-world games. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion though, I much prefer Gothic 2 and 3 and Risen. This is my first review, and I feel compelled to write it because in the span of two or three hours I became hooked by Skyrim. The experience began very weak in my opinion, partially because of the way it was delivered and partially because my NVidia drivers weren't up to date so I was getting a strobe effect with sky shadows. Having resolved the graphics issue with the latest drivers and turning down my monitor contrast, I found a beautifully rendered world with many immersive atmospheric touches. I restarted the game from the beginning and chose this time to follow the convict/rebel out of the burning settlement... much more interesting path. Many WOW moments since then, largely to do with the world itself.

Skyrim receives a 9 from me because the UI did take some time to get used to... since I'm left-handed, I remapped some keys and got stuck over-encumbered and unable to drop anything. That took a while to figure out... and just getting out of books and maps etc. seems counter-intuitive and I still occasionally get stumped. Graphically there are some ugly textures as many have mentioned but the overall effect is quite nice, particularly the water rendering. I have had no crashes in my eight hours of play. I'm only at level 4 (I like to take my time) so time will tell but I'm anything but bored at the moment. On the one hand I can't seem to get enough, yet part of me worries that this will eat into my real life. That fact alone tells me that this is a powerful game.
  29. Nov 14, 2011
    An overwhelmingly wonderful installment to the Elder Scrolls series. While playing, the player will delve into stunning graphics, engaging quests and relationships, incredible architecture, and a refined combat system built to impress. This is not to say that there were no issues, as there were. NPCs move strangely, voices don't always line up with mouth movements, and crashes to desktopAn overwhelmingly wonderful installment to the Elder Scrolls series. While playing, the player will delve into stunning graphics, engaging quests and relationships, incredible architecture, and a refined combat system built to impress. This is not to say that there were no issues, as there were. NPCs move strangely, voices don't always line up with mouth movements, and crashes to desktop happen. As it has become the industry norm to release unrefined games, Skyrim is no exception. However, it is one of the best unrefined games released to date. 9/10 Expand
  30. Nov 15, 2011
    Its the next elder scrolls game. so what do you expect? does it feel like the others? gamplay wise yes, not a bad thing. Lore and setting no, its all feels fresh and new. and being set 200 years after TES 4 there are alot of nice lore tid bits for fans who got in to the story. The land of skyrim its self is massive, its what you expect from bethesda. the faction quests and man story arcsIts the next elder scrolls game. so what do you expect? does it feel like the others? gamplay wise yes, not a bad thing. Lore and setting no, its all feels fresh and new. and being set 200 years after TES 4 there are alot of nice lore tid bits for fans who got in to the story. The land of skyrim its self is massive, its what you expect from bethesda. the faction quests and man story arcs are tight and much more story driven that in previous Elder Scrolls games and the world is littered with dungons that promote exploration while on other tasks. if anything the content is overwhelming. the Npc's are simple but feel some what genuine. you realy feel these people are strong and vikeing like but not uniform in there personalities. The PC interface is clunky to say the least. while the "Q" quick change menu would work for a few things. there are to many things (even worse if you play a mage type) such as shouts, wepons, potions, etc. you want to use. And while you can key bind things for most of the game when gear or item rewards are failrly constent and ungrades frequent its more trouble than its worth. a breif text pop up out of sight at the top left of your screen is the only warning you get if your character is in realy harm from spells or effects. otherwise you need to constent cheek your "active effects" tab... in your magic tab... in your overall menu tab... by pressing tab. on the bright side inventory is still 'i'?

then you have the famous bethesda launch bugs. Alot of people are dealing with memory leak issues that is causeing crash to desktop issues and vanishing textures. Bodies with floating eyes and teeth now haunt my dreams. and to play through a major event with one of the characters as a purple skinless mesh was a little sad.

So why a 9? well.. 8.5 isn't posable. and if the launch bugs were fixed this game would be a solid 9 - 9.5 yes it has issues, but nothing that stops the game elements of this game from being the most fun and rewarding elder scrolls to date. and hopefully once a few of these issues are fixed it could deserve the 9.5 I would want to give it.
  31. Nov 15, 2011
    Having racked up hundreds of hours of gameplay in both Morrowind and Oblivion I was looking forward to the release of a new Elder Scrolls game. However, as the release date got closer and they still weren't really talking about the PC version of the game, I started to get a little nervous. When the game turned up, I found that the result was mostly good...

The game itself, is fantastic.

The game itself, is fantastic. The world is huge and amazingly detailed. And, while you still get a fair amount of repeated dialogue from passing NPCs, it's not nearly as bad as Oblivion. The locations are quite varied and the levels of the enemies are far more balanced... you'll still run into the odd low level bandit in the higher levels while giants will continue to squish you for looking at them funny from level 1 till quite a way into the game (they're tougher than dragons!).

This is probably the first Elder Scrolls game, since Daggerfall, that I've actually WANTED to do more of the main quest! I've played Oblivion for over 200 hours and still haven't got round to doing the main quest. In fact the choices of quests can sometimes be a little overwhelming. This is certainly a game that intends to give you value for money.

Sadly, the PC version doesn't really take advantage of the platform. It's still a DirectX 9 game, so no advanced graphics features and it's still restricted to using 2Gb of RAM (although this can be 'fixed' with a mod). The UI is less that perfect, requiring a lot of necessary scrolling and clicking to find out some of the most basic information (although I rather liked the new skill page... I know a lot of people don't). It doesn't help that mouse location and clicks within the menu tend to be a little hit and miss as well. Is it something that will stop be recommending the game? No, definitely not, but it needs mentioning. Also.... press to exit out of containers (or click on the very left of the screen)... a somewhat annoying 'feature' that seems to have caught a few people out. No idea why they didn't allow to be used as well.

Already the mod scene is hard at work creating even better textures and improvements to Skyrim. Hopefully, once Bethesda release a couple of patches (and maybe a DirectX 11 update to really take advantage of the PC) it'll be worth 10 out of 10. Either way... buy it!
  32. Nov 15, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is another great addition to the serie. It is everything a fan would expect. The story is incredible, the lenght of the game is awesome, you have plenty side-missions and you are left with a lot of different ways to play the game. The 2 main problems why this game doesn't deserve a 10 are the fact that the graphics are way out-dated, they look just likeThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is another great addition to the serie. It is everything a fan would expect. The story is incredible, the lenght of the game is awesome, you have plenty side-missions and you are left with a lot of different ways to play the game. The 2 main problems why this game doesn't deserve a 10 are the fact that the graphics are way out-dated, they look just like Oblivion. It sucks that games nowadays are stuck having to develop with 5yo consoles. I think they should've done what bf3 did which is make the game on PC with ultra graphs possibilities and release an xbox/ps3 version which can run only at medium graphs. The second thing is the skill tree really isnt computer friendly, we can clearly see that it was made for console and it sucks. Of course there's also a few minor bugs, but nothing that will ruin your gaming experience. Overall this is a must buy for any rpg fans and even for people who never played any Elder Scrolls! Expand
  33. Nov 15, 2011
    This is an absolutely fantastic game. I have sunk 20 hours into it and barely scratched the main story line. There is so much to do. Bethesda have really improved the graphics and gameplay over oblivion. The character models and facial expressions are a huge improvement as are the voice acting and dialogue. The only thing so far I don't like about the game is the fact they got rid ofThis is an absolutely fantastic game. I have sunk 20 hours into it and barely scratched the main story line. There is so much to do. Bethesda have really improved the graphics and gameplay over oblivion. The character models and facial expressions are a huge improvement as are the voice acting and dialogue. The only thing so far I don't like about the game is the fact they got rid of durability and repairing on items. however this is really nit picking. Absolutely fantastic game, one you dont want to miss! Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2011
    There should have been an option to give 9.8.
    That's what the game deserves. It Ain't perfect, so a 10 is out a place, but 9 is to low. Know what I mean? No?
    Ok, I'm a sucker for non-linearity. This game IS non-linear. In all it's extend. I have 2 char's. One (18hours of play) that inbetween does a bit main-quest. And another character that just gives a sh*t about any main-quest, just
    There should have been an option to give 9.8.

And another character that just gives a sh*t about any main-quest, just fooling around.

That is the beauty of this game, I caught myself, yesterday, in playing for several hours not doing one single quest! I just ran around exploring, and had a hell of a time!

Now that says something.

To all those whiners that trolls any board around, get a grip will ya?
    This game is NOT bad, there is no way anyone can call it bad. Why? because it is freakin' good, and if you don't agree, well this wasn't a game for you.
    That's bad (especially for you, if you paid for this) but the game is not bad. No way.

giving zero?
    You know what criteria lies down to give a zero? The game won't start. it doesn't exists. It fails to be released.
    If it has been released and starts, even just for a bit, it's worth more than 0.

Just my two cents
    M:)
  35. Nov 16, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the best game of the year. The game is massive, biggest Iv'e seen yet! Most reviews already cover the great bits, so I'll just mention the parts I don't like.(I am aware I have given it 10/10. But the problems I found were not huge). First problem is the shadows. They are pretty poor even on everything up on max. This can be fixed though by editing the shadowIn my opinion, this is the best game of the year. The game is massive, biggest Iv'e seen yet! Most reviews already cover the great bits, so I'll just mention the parts I don't like.(I am aware I have given it 10/10. But the problems I found were not huge). First problem is the shadows. They are pretty poor even on everything up on max. This can be fixed though by editing the shadow resolution in the skyrimpref file. Next was some of the animations. For example, I noticed that when some of the NPCs are eating, their mouth doesn't move at all which makes it look kinda silly. Last thing that I noticed was......skeletons bleed? Hmmm, I guess this doesn't bug me. I just noticed it and it made me a tad confused. Expand
  36. Nov 16, 2011
    First impression was very good, game did not crash for 10 hours playing and was stable. After the next day the game started to get crashes to desktop and lag issues. For this reason i give it a 9. The game has improved alot from the other games, graphics and story wise and the fun factor in combat. Alot of detail in the melee department, able to chop of heads and stab mobs inFirst impression was very good, game did not crash for 10 hours playing and was stable. After the next day the game started to get crashes to desktop and lag issues. For this reason i give it a 9. The game has improved alot from the other games, graphics and story wise and the fun factor in combat. Alot of detail in the melee department, able to chop of heads and stab mobs in fun/interesting ways. Some extra fun with casters on how magic is used, able to duel wield and combine magic with interesting magical effects. The world itself is just breath taking, from the night sky to the lush trees and grass you walk on. Very well done in this area. Dungeon traps are fun and make you jump unexpectedly and add a twist of fear when exploring them. Characters models did improve from the last game and from reading the reviews with some people here, i think they just expect alot more or too much now days. Expand
  37. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is incredible. Probably the best role playing game I've ever played. Pretty much the only rule is that your character is a badass. The open world is beautiful on Ultra graphical settings. The only games that top this in terms of graphics are Crysis and Battlefield 3, but those games don't have the massive scale of this game. I know I'll spend at least 500 hours on this game. TheThis game is incredible. Probably the best role playing game I've ever played. Pretty much the only rule is that your character is a badass. The open world is beautiful on Ultra graphical settings. The only games that top this in terms of graphics are Crysis and Battlefield 3, but those games don't have the massive scale of this game. I know I'll spend at least 500 hours on this game. The combat systems are way better than previous games: magic feels awesome, the bow is great, and swords handle better than ever. Expand
  38. Nov 21, 2011
    This is comming from someone whos played like 3 hours of the game. Although I can safely say ill will be playing at least another 10 without getting bored. Graphics look well maybe not astonishing, its no crysis although the effects for weather are quite nice to look at. If im gonna be honest character creation is good enough for me at least some more body shape and hairstyle options couldThis is comming from someone whos played like 3 hours of the game. Although I can safely say ill will be playing at least another 10 without getting bored. Graphics look well maybe not astonishing, its no crysis although the effects for weather are quite nice to look at. If im gonna be honest character creation is good enough for me at least some more body shape and hairstyle options could be lovely although i cannot ask for allot more. The gameplay itself is good fun. Walking tends to get annoying but its not too extreme and wont really throw you off. I wish the choice of weoponry was a little bit more broad (im talking about the first couple of hours) Gave it an 8 instead of a nine as it reminded me too much of Fallout. Expand
  39. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyrim is an excellent game and probably one of the best of the year. It has fun and addictive game play beautiful scenery and graphics fun and rewarding quest lines and it has improved in leaps and bounds upon its already legendary predecessors.

Any game however is far from perfect and Skyrim has some major flaws to boast as well.  The first and most glaring flaw is the interface and menu system. On the PC it is very difficult to navigate and utilize quickly. You will find yourself selling and buying items you don't intend to and saying things in conversation that you don't mean to.
    The save game sorting is also bad. Instead of sorting saves by character profile all games are lumped into one list that you gave to dig through to find your correct choice, also no quick save button is readily available that I have found which makes the games instability all the more frustrating.
    As already mentioned the game is rather unstable and I have had to play through quite a bit of progression again due to crashes.

Some things are immersion breaking particularly the caves and barrows. I like that they used some different tile sets this time but all of the caves are lit up like you are in a jungle canopy rather than a cave and why do I figure out how to open a tomb that has been sealed for hundreds of years just to see a torch burning in a sconce on the other side?

Pathing is poor for NPCs and this can be exploited to kill monsters easily. It also makes having a companion a liability when it comes to traps they will get themselves killed constantly on easily avoidable traps and sometimes take you with them. There is also no way to discern their health easily to know if they need a heal.

Overall I recommend the purchase of the game. If you can wait try to get it on discount and if you have a decent PC get it on that platform.  TES series has a wonderful modding community and I hope many of the issues I have raised will eventually get fixed in patches or by the modders.
  40. Nov 22, 2011
    Most amazing Role-playing game up to date. This game lets u be whoever u want. I've spent about 50 hours in this game since it's released and I've barely done anything related to main quest because Skyrim's world is simply filled with dozens of quests. And awesome thing is these quests aren't generic, they're pretty much all different.
  41. Nov 22, 2011
    Wow! This is a fantastic game, and there's so much content! The quests are entertaining, the world is beautiful, what more could you ask for? I honestly think I'll need to play the game 2-3 times in order to experience all of the content.
  42. Nov 22, 2011
    It is a vast understatement to call this an "Improvement" over Bethesda's previous installment in the series. Almost every feature has been improved upon, from the quick use menu and favourites list, to the graphics and stat system. It is almost difficult to believe that this game is running on the same hardware as Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, as you take in the breathtaking scenery andIt is a vast understatement to call this an "Improvement" over Bethesda's previous installment in the series. Almost every feature has been improved upon, from the quick use menu and favourites list, to the graphics and stat system. It is almost difficult to believe that this game is running on the same hardware as Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, as you take in the breathtaking scenery and character design. From giant, amazing and beautiful creatures such as Dwemer robotic golems, mammoths and of course, dragons, to the small insect life, and birds flying overhead. This game is teeming with life, and features some of the most beautiful creature animations i have seen to date. A couple things bothered me greatly about the still fun and amazing elder scrolls oblivion, such as an extreme abundance of glitches, as well as a horrible stat system, which discouraged playing the game freely without pruning each skill specifically, as to raise your stats to be the highest possible. Skyrim changes the around perfectly, with a system that encourages you to play exactly how you want to, and become exactly who you want to be. I personally chose a heavy armor specializing Khajiit, with a focus on restoration magicka and talents in smithing, alchemy, enchanting and speech. In addition, it is appealing to find a lack of glitches in the game, after experiencing how common they were in previous installments. I have found a handful in perhaps over a hundred hours of gameplay, which is to be expected with any game, none-the-less such a massive open world experience.

So far I have played 100+ hours, and I am still finding creative, entertaining, and often awe inspiring scenes, quests, and situations in the game. I expect to play at least a hundred more hours, not including the guaranteed extra play-though or two in my future.

In my opinion, the improvements made, and complete mass of quality and quantity in this game should put to shame some of the other recent games to come out, such as Skyward Sword, and Modern Warfare 3.
    Same genre or not, it should be easy to see which of the series' titles outshines the others in improvements made and overall quality.
  43. Nov 24, 2011
    Bethesda did a great job on this game here, I was a hue fan of there older games (Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena), but Oblivion and Fallout3 did not impress me much at all.

Now comes Skyrim and Bethesda has done an amazing job improving things since Oblivion. Nearly everything is improved, from the story to the combat to the controls and performance. Its almost like they heard all my issues with Oblivion and fixed them for Skyrim, great effort Bethesda!

The soundtrack is epic as usual and of course the gameworld and lore is extremely well made. This all came as a very nice surprise to me though as I was not expecting all that much, but whats here is an epic rpg.

Skyrim joins The Witcher2 as the best rpgs of 2011, both extremely well made and awesome rpg's that I loved to death. Its great when companies can improve on past games as well as Bethesda has done here with Skyrim, which is the best game from the rpg giants since Morrowind!

Buy this game now!

Here is to Skyrim and the great job by Bethesda!
  44. Nov 26, 2011
    Simply amazing. No words can describe the feeling you get as you roam the vast tundra of skyrim as a dragon circles overhead. Despite the unlimited list of amazing parts included into this game, its not perfect. Some really boring side quests and extremely repetitive voice acting among the cities (And you thought it couldn't get worse than talks of mudcrabs). On the other hand, there areSimply amazing. No words can describe the feeling you get as you roam the vast tundra of skyrim as a dragon circles overhead. Despite the unlimited list of amazing parts included into this game, its not perfect. Some really boring side quests and extremely repetitive voice acting among the cities (And you thought it couldn't get worse than talks of mudcrabs). On the other hand, there are amazing side quests and so many i haven't discovered yet. The diversity of virtually everything leaves me knowing i'll play this for years to come. And the modding community loves Bethseda's games just as much as i do. It is impossible to argue that this game isn't one of the best games ever. Expand
  45. Nov 27, 2011
    I'm not going to say this is incredible, because you already know it. Instead I'll state two facts about my Skyrim experience. One: I've played sixty hours. Two: I feel I've only scratched the surface. There is an unimaginable volume of material in this game. It's so well-realised that fast travelling between locations seems incredibly wasteful - you'll never know what places you'veI'm not going to say this is incredible, because you already know it. Instead I'll state two facts about my Skyrim experience. One: I've played sixty hours. Two: I feel I've only scratched the surface. There is an unimaginable volume of material in this game. It's so well-realised that fast travelling between locations seems incredibly wasteful - you'll never know what places you've missed, or encounters, characters, quests, treasures. I haven't fast travelled once. I haven't wanted to. Each time I'm sent off somewhere, I go by foot, and never cease to come across astounding experiences. Some criticise the game's animations or voice acting or whatever. To me this is anal retentive. The game is **** huge. Experience it. Enjoy its scope and ambition. When I'm walking through an autumnal mountain pass at sundown, I'm not thinking about UI niggles, I'm thinking: "holy **** The animations are fine, the level scaling is fine - a solid compromise between Morrowind and Oblivion - the towns are huge, the characters brilliant, the combat bloody good, the quests well-thought out and, of course, infinite. There is too much excellence in this game to give it 2/10 for a few unsatisfying door textures. Ignore the grumpy little graphics whores who expect games to look better than real life. Try Skyrim for yourself. It's brilliant. And endless. Expand
  46. Nov 30, 2011
    Beautiful world. Excellent graphics. Exhilarating combat. Overall, this game is simply a 10/10.
  47. Dec 12, 2011
    Opinion after 250+ hours. Bethesda's pursuit of freedom is admirable, and this is the best world created to date; but it naturally comes at the cost of a cohesive narrative. If you want great story & characters, better to play a more traditional RPG. Or better still, read a book. 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, but still not enough :). If you're about to play this for the first time,Opinion after 250+ hours. Bethesda's pursuit of freedom is admirable, and this is the best world created to date; but it naturally comes at the cost of a cohesive narrative. If you want great story & characters, better to play a more traditional RPG. Or better still, read a book. 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, but still not enough :). If you're about to play this for the first time, make sure you check the 'Skyrim Nexus' and browse it's 2700+ mods (amended UI, better textures), and I suggest a mod that stops NPC's from clamoring to spout their life-story (no NPC greetings). Expand
  48. Jan 14, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

Skyrim offers an amazingly large free-to-roam world in which many items, quests, monsters and dragons can be found. The game's impressive story-line, life-like characters and action-packed quests definitely make it one of the best games of 2011 - 2012. The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get repetitive, as they tend to repeat the same actions over again and that a lot of glitches are present in this game, which may actually prevent the player from completing a quest, or may just be minor.

Other than that, this game is amazing! 8!
  49. Jan 15, 2012
    Skyrim get's some things right, but ultimately it ended in disappointment. What's done right: 1. Map size and detail. Markarth is one of the most beautiful towns I've seen in a video game. 2. The beginning of the game is fun and engaging. What's done poorly. 1. Level scaling. By the time you hit level 40 and above, the game is incredibly unchallenging at normal difficulty, and on hard,Skyrim get's some things right, but ultimately it ended in disappointment. What's done right: 1. Map size and detail. Markarth is one of the most beautiful towns I've seen in a video game. 2. The beginning of the game is fun and engaging. What's done poorly. 1. Level scaling. By the time you hit level 40 and above, the game is incredibly unchallenging at normal difficulty, and on hard, fights are long and boring. 2. Economy. It's far too easy to acquire gold. It's amazing that there are still beggars in Skyrim. 3. Overall challenge. There is none. I can hit F5 whenever i sense danger and death can always be quickly circumvented. 4. Bugs and Patches. As expected, the game contained many bugs upon launch and most of these were tolerable, but when they released they're "patch" that introduced more bugs, it broke the game for me. I was disappointed to see such a lack of care. Now, I did put 70 hours into the game and the first 40 were solid (though the dark brotherhood was much better in oblivion in my opinion), but I can't bring myself to play it anymore when so many other quality games that involve true character development and provide a challenge are on the market. Expand
  50. Jan 19, 2012
    Besides a few glitches that don't usually alter the main experience to much, skyrim is the best RPG I have ever played combining all the good things of The Elder Scrolls Series.
  51. Feb 10, 2012
    A good game, with a few flaws that greatly diminish any replay value. Played a total 287 hours before i uninstalled though. Even one playthrough that hits all the major points is 60-80 hours easily, so well worth the money. First playthrough as a sneak archer finished. Second as a destro mage, quit at lvl 30 because it was beyond weak. Third 2h melee, almost completed, then just quitA good game, with a few flaws that greatly diminish any replay value. Played a total 287 hours before i uninstalled though. Even one playthrough that hits all the major points is 60-80 hours easily, so well worth the money. First playthrough as a sneak archer finished. Second as a destro mage, quit at lvl 30 because it was beyond weak. Third 2h melee, almost completed, then just quit out of boredom eventually. Once you've seen all the main quest stories once and have gotten a character to a point where it is powerful and you have all your abilities that you will ever really use, there is no point in continuing.

PROS: It's a great epic open world, and most of the main quest lines are actually pretty enjoyable (if not a bit predictable). Plenty of places to go, and really it's just fun to explore... at least at first. The world is very engrossing and entertaining despite any flaws. Personally i found the combat just fine, although others may disagree.
    CONS: The interface... the default interface and even with improved user mods is not great for pc. I didn't find it nearly as gamebreaking as some people, but there is an inherent disconnect between the keys and the mouse and which has priority on certain screens. The res of the textures isn't great and really requires a high res texture pack... after which it looks pretty great. Money has NO purpose after the very early game. On my first completion i had 300k in money and another 4-500k of stuff in my house. Following all the major quest lines doesn't really drive you to most of the minor cities. There are several i never visited even after doing all the major quest lines and finishing the main game quest. Eventually... all the tombs and ruins are just the same, gets a little tedious. Enchanting makes you an instant god once you get to 100... as does playing a sneak archer at all. If you max enchanting and blacksmithing (which there is no reason not to) you make more money than you can spend, you can buy all alchemy mats every time you are in town, and your gear will be better than anything you will ever find. Basically you can become a god at level 30 without having even left whiterun really. It makes no sense. The one exception being destruction mage which is completely broken, because at level 30 with max destruction, you can't even kill a bear without dipping into other trees and it still takes way too long. Destruction has no +damage enchants, so the damage scales incredibly poorly... in that it doesn't scale at all except for the perks in the tree which do not buff it enough. Dwarven ruins... all of them, are way too long and all look the same.
  52. Mar 21, 2012
    More like a buggy attempt at a simulation than anything. There is no fun to be had here. it's a disgrace how the press went nuts over this sack of garbage. If you do something as small as kill a chicken it can cause of chain of events that make you start your entire game over. Towns are magically notified that your an outlaw after you kill this chicken, house wives come out with fryingMore like a buggy attempt at a simulation than anything. There is no fun to be had here. it's a disgrace how the press went nuts over this sack of garbage. If you do something as small as kill a chicken it can cause of chain of events that make you start your entire game over. Towns are magically notified that your an outlaw after you kill this chicken, house wives come out with frying pans (which are somehow more powerful than your fire that should be cooking them). NCP's will camp your hiding spot for days, apparently they have nothing better to do then wait 36 hours for you to move out from behind a rock after you killed that chicken. Really fails short on every level. The combat is horrible too, so rigid and stiff. Expand
  53. May 15, 2012
    Overall, Bethesda did a good job by crafting Skyrim's world and art style. However, the gameplay and story line is a let down. The gameplay has been dumbed down from both Morrowind and Oblivion and the graphics are barely an upgrade over Bethesda's previous titles.
  54. Jun 15, 2012
    Skyrim is not a bad game, to be sure. Some elements (Lockpicking, Archery) feel very natural - although archery is not perfect as you sometimes can't shoot through narrow openings you could shoot through in real life and arrows suddenly drop at long range. The scenery is impressive, but the character models are seriously lacking, human and non-human alike. And there numerous nice stories,Skyrim is not a bad game, to be sure. Some elements (Lockpicking, Archery) feel very natural - although archery is not perfect as you sometimes can't shoot through narrow openings you could shoot through in real life and arrows suddenly drop at long range. The scenery is impressive, but the character models are seriously lacking, human and non-human alike. And there numerous nice stories, but there not *TOLD*. I know, this an open world RPG, so telling stories can get quite complicated. But with Skyrim, there's so much to discover, but everything stays somehow flat, sterile, and unresponsive, though vast. It feels like every commoner now has a name, but it doesn't matter, they're still commoner 1 - 1000. Expand
  55. Nov 12, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic. Everything I had hoped for. It would be a 10/10 only the interface has blatant consolitis and feels very counter-intuitive. For a series that has always been a PC gamers haven it feels like a betrayal. Otherwise, I am enjoying the game immensely: considering the interface frustrations this is testament to how good the base game is.
  56. Nov 12, 2011
    This is n awesome game. The graphic could maybe better but its great cauz the graphic is not the biggest key point at a TES game. The most of the mistakes from Oblivion r better than before. It is n great game experience to walk through that huge world of Skyrim and feel the live atmosphere in the game. All REAL TES player will love this game!!! +1
  57. Nov 12, 2011
    00** I agree with what this guy said - > People either give around 10 points, or 0 points (to compensate the others valuation probably)... I am giving also 10 points. Why? The answer: because if you can overcome those few issues that happen during the game (e.g. Battlefield 3 looks better, BUT IT IS FULLY SCRIPTED AND TOTALLY DETERMINISTIC in contrary to Skyrim, WHICH IS NEARLY TOTALLY00** I agree with what this guy said - > People either give around 10 points, or 0 points (to compensate the others valuation probably)... I am giving also 10 points. Why? The answer: because if you can overcome those few issues that happen during the game (e.g. Battlefield 3 looks better, BUT IT IS FULLY SCRIPTED AND TOTALLY DETERMINISTIC in contrary to Skyrim, WHICH IS NEARLY TOTALLY FREE!!!); if you can configure/tweak (as I did in 1-2-3 hours) the game to work smoothly on your PC; if you try to adapt to the mouse-less, mostly keyboard-driven menu-system (which can become much-much faster and convenient: TAB, W, A, S, D, E, R, Q + mouse-roll = thats it, you can do EVERYTHING in seconds!!) ...and you enjoy the free world, tons of quests, wonderful dialogue, TOTALLY DYNAMIC WORLD, THEN YOU WILL MOST PROBABLY ENJOY THIS GAME VERY-VERY MUCH. Think about this, please! ...and enjoy as I do (after the first, bit disappointing impression, taking a breath, being patient, and DISCOVERING THE TRUE VALUE OF THIS STUFF: Expand
  58. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful graphics and high resolution textures, easy-to-navigate user interface which operates smoothly for the PC, combat is fluid and dynamic, the new perk trees are fun and unique, and the details put into this game are what make it so amazing, from tiny ants crawling on a rock, to being able to use the lumber mills; just for fun.

Ignore the trolls who rate this anything lower than a 3/10 while only listing one or two superficial reasons. If you only buy one game this year - buy Skyrim. Nothing is more fun than killing dragons, or unleashing your fury on a group of bandits as a Werewolf, and the new Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines are nothing short of magnificent. Game of the Year All Years.
  59. Nov 14, 2011
    One of the best games i have ever played. I just thank God Bethesda is alive to bring games like these to us. Games that try to change our reality during our game-play. From the music to the magnificent scenario and landscape (even with those odd textures), it is just too good. It is a game that no only provide a great experience, but many more since you can replay as many time as you wantOne of the best games i have ever played. I just thank God Bethesda is alive to bring games like these to us. Games that try to change our reality during our game-play. From the music to the magnificent scenario and landscape (even with those odd textures), it is just too good. It is a game that no only provide a great experience, but many more since you can replay as many time as you want and you still see different things over and over again. One of the best ROLE playing game that i have had the opportunity to play. Expand
  60. Nov 17, 2011
    Originally pirated the game due to not knowing if it was going to be so epic that i would need to buy it because lets be honest who buys Single-player games now? Anyways i did buy it because it was that impressive.
  61. Nov 15, 2011
    The game is incredibly immersive. As soon as you start up you will have entered another world filled with lore, interesting characters and beautiful scenery. The quests are interesting and engaging and the combat is fun and feels a lot more real than Oblivion. It feels as if Bethesda really listened to the community for this game adding several features that were mods for Oblivion likeThe game is incredibly immersive. As soon as you start up you will have entered another world filled with lore, interesting characters and beautiful scenery. The quests are interesting and engaging and the combat is fun and feels a lot more real than Oblivion. It feels as if Bethesda really listened to the community for this game adding several features that were mods for Oblivion like werewolves, a great crafting system and a new game engine that really shines for performance.

I'm also happy that the game has key mapping and windowed mode which seems like a crazy thing to be happy about but with all of the console ports these days its nice.

This is a game that is enormous and boiling over with content. I could spend months and months going through everything it has to offer and perhaps even longer with the quest generators in the game. The fact of the matter is that Bethesda has really taken a step up with this edition of The Elder Scrolls.

My only complaints are the obvious console centric UI which can be difficult at times with some insensitive menus and some broken key functions. I could not use the favourites menu because I could not set any items as favourites. If you change the movement keys from default you might have issues. Also, at times my NPC companions would block me into small rooms which can be frustrating and there are very minor graphical glitches at certain moments.

However, the few issues I have with the game do not change my overall experience as they are just small problems. I love the game. Love it! I plan to enjoy it for a long, long time. I recommend it to anyone who loves RPG's and entering a world ready to be shaped by your imagination. OUTSTANDING!
  62. Nov 15, 2011
    all we can do is wish for EVERY sandbox electronic creation to be just like this GAME. beacause this is GAME. vast experience. feels like those neverwinter times when atmosphere and journey was your favourite companions.
  63. Nov 16, 2011
    What a great game. Its about time I get a game that seems pretty much complete. Only one issue with the sound and that was an easy fix. So much to do!! This is a game I will be playing a long time and will playing again I'm sure. If you.. sorry WHEN you get this game make sure you have nothing important to do for a few days as this will suck you in and keep you. Graphics are beautifulWhat a great game. Its about time I get a game that seems pretty much complete. Only one issue with the sound and that was an easy fix. So much to do!! This is a game I will be playing a long time and will playing again I'm sure. If you.. sorry WHEN you get this game make sure you have nothing important to do for a few days as this will suck you in and keep you. Graphics are beautiful difficulty is (for me) perfect not easy and not the usual cheating AI.

If you played any of the past elder scrolls and it did didn't appeal to you (like it didn't for me) I think you will enjoy this game even more! OK I took my 10 min break back to playing!
  64. Nov 16, 2011
    My social life is paused for at least a few months until i finish this game entirely, its one of they rare games that draws you in and you become addicted and don't want to stop playing, Ive played around 20 hours and most of it is just wandering around killing beasts and dragons, The graphics have been much improved from bethesda's previous oblivion and the subtle effects do make aMy social life is paused for at least a few months until i finish this game entirely, its one of they rare games that draws you in and you become addicted and don't want to stop playing, Ive played around 20 hours and most of it is just wandering around killing beasts and dragons, The graphics have been much improved from bethesda's previous oblivion and the subtle effects do make a difference to the overall experience. The game is huge and who knows how long it would take to complete this fully but im having a heck of a time playing it and you all will to, buy it now Expand
  65. Nov 16, 2011
    Skyrim is a fantastic game. It is easily the best RPG I have ever played, and one of the best I have ever played period. It has all of the strong points of it's predecessor, Oblivion, but all of my major concerns with the last game have been fixed, and new features added that I had never even thought of, but make Oblivion unplayable in comparison. The combat has been much improved. DualSkyrim is a fantastic game. It is easily the best RPG I have ever played, and one of the best I have ever played period. It has all of the strong points of it's predecessor, Oblivion, but all of my major concerns with the last game have been fixed, and new features added that I had never even thought of, but make Oblivion unplayable in comparison. The combat has been much improved. Dual wielding both spells and weapons gives you a much larger choice in how to play your character, despite the removal of the majority of stats. Spells feel more varied, and combat over all is far more enjoyable, while still retaining the overall feel that it did in the previous game. NPC's are more interesting, and companion AI is better. It is not perfect, but I have had no major issues with the people I have following me around. Enemy AI is also better, and even though I have fought quite a few dragons the fights are still interesting. The world of Skyrim is huge, and there is a lot to explore. Most of the 30+ hours I have spent on the game so far have consisted of simply wandering between towns, doing dungeons and side quests. I recommend using fast travel and the carriage system sparingly, and the journey from place to place is often more interesting and fun than the quests at the either end. Not everything is perfect. I have some issues with the PC interface, although they become less annoying once you get used to them. There are also a few bugs, although I believe that they will soon be fixed, and none have actually stopped me from progressing through the game and the quests. These issues are very small compared to all of the fantastic things about the game. I would give it 9.5, rather than a perfect 10, due to the small interface issues and bugs, but I think that on the scale given here a 10 is more appropriate than a 9.

I would recommend this game to anyone, especially those who have played and enjoyed previous Elder Scrolls games.
  66. Nov 16, 2011
    After twenty-five plus hours played I still have not got around to finishing the main storyline. My quest log is loaded and I have not even explored all of the major towns yet. This game is packed with content and is literally the most fun I've had with a game in years. The combat system, for the most part is familiar to that of Oblivion, but the executions are absoultely awesome. SoAfter twenty-five plus hours played I still have not got around to finishing the main storyline. My quest log is loaded and I have not even explored all of the major towns yet. This game is packed with content and is literally the most fun I've had with a game in years. The combat system, for the most part is familiar to that of Oblivion, but the executions are absoultely awesome. So far I have not encountered any game breaking bugs, or anything really noticeable. The wait for this game was worth it (now the wait for mods begins) and I will be playing it for years to come. Expand
  67. Nov 18, 2011
    This has been the BEST RPG experience of my life... Skyrim > Oblivion. Skyrim is second best game I played this year among with Portal, every other game was just a waste of money and time. Caution: Skyrim may make you forget you have a real life and that humans sleep at night :P
  68. Nov 21, 2011
    Skyrim is the most incredible game i've ever played, i know for certain that once i'm done on the character i'm playing at the moment i'm immediately going to jump straight onto another one because i just can't get enough of it, the combat is incredible, i play on console so the interface issues don't bother me, if i could give it more than 10 i would in a heart beat and i would recommendSkyrim is the most incredible game i've ever played, i know for certain that once i'm done on the character i'm playing at the moment i'm immediately going to jump straight onto another one because i just can't get enough of it, the combat is incredible, i play on console so the interface issues don't bother me, if i could give it more than 10 i would in a heart beat and i would recommend it to anyone. In summary if this is the first game you ever play i pity you because every other game you play from this point on will look like absolute crap compared to it. if you don't have the game yet then BUY IT NOW it's worth every cent Expand
  69. Nov 22, 2011
    Best game I have ever played. I was a huge fan of 3, and I liked 4, but 5 is the BEST EVER! I have played for about 200 hours and still haven't beaten the game.
  70. Nov 24, 2011
    Metacritic users who rate this game below a 5 can suck it, because Skyrim delivers in every possible way for those of you who want to immerse yourself in a fantasy world. Buy it, you will have spent your money as wisely as possible this holiday season.
  71. Nov 15, 2011
    Overall, 14 hours of gameplay... without cheats so far... its a beautiful game, works well, VERY realistic, love the weird glitches that appear occasionally (after all it wouldn't be elder scrolls if there wasn't crazy NPC bugs).
    I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!! plan to spend many many many more hours on it. BEST GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!
  72. Nov 15, 2011
    Ignore the Dark Souls fanboys who didn't actually buy Skyrim before writing a negative review. This game is superb, and possibly the best example of how an enormous amount of good content can outweigh a few flaws (a smattering of minor bugs that will likely be fixed within the month). It's hard to single out any one aspect of the game for praise--instead, it is the individual experiencesIgnore the Dark Souls fanboys who didn't actually buy Skyrim before writing a negative review. This game is superb, and possibly the best example of how an enormous amount of good content can outweigh a few flaws (a smattering of minor bugs that will likely be fixed within the month). It's hard to single out any one aspect of the game for praise--instead, it is the individual experiences that make it so memorable:
    Stalking the shadows with a hand-crafted bow, planting arrows in the backs of vampires.
    Charging ferociously across the tundra into an epic battle with a city whom you had secretly worked to undermine for days.
    Climbing the tallest mountain in the land, with nothing but long expanses of silence and the shimmering northern lights to mark your passage.
    This is certainly the Game of the Year, if not the game of the decade.
  73. Nov 15, 2011
    Absolutely one of the best games I've ever played. The sheer amount of detail is staggering, and the ability to do, quite literally, anything you want is mesmerizing. Join the legion? Sure, crush the rebellion you were introduced to in the beginning of the game. Join any number of guilds throughout the game that have their own story/quest lines? Go for it. Do the main quest? Up to you. TheAbsolutely one of the best games I've ever played. The sheer amount of detail is staggering, and the ability to do, quite literally, anything you want is mesmerizing. Join the legion? Sure, crush the rebellion you were introduced to in the beginning of the game. Join any number of guilds throughout the game that have their own story/quest lines? Go for it. Do the main quest? Up to you. The options are seemingly limitless, and the 300 hour gameplay ideal truly seems possible, if not more so. I'm naturally apprehensive when it comes to paying lots of money for a game, but 60.00$ was completely worth it. This should be game of the year for many, many reasons. And the 95/100 Critic review score is absolutely spot on. If you played Oblivion, it's everything you liked enhanced, and everything you didn't fixed to where it's not there, or just that: fixed. One of my all time favorite games now. Absolute recommendation! Expand
  74. Nov 17, 2011
    Finally a game producer, launched a game! In addition to beautiful, is vast, free, full of books and paths for a long journey.
    Try check the stories of Tamriel, lost in dungeons, in secret places of necromancy, tombs with dread lords... is endless. you can collect and keep books at home, to read later, and found informations about spells, treasures and start a new journey, inside the journey.
    Best of 2011!
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    Not as good as Oblivion or Morrowind, everything has been simplified, the game is too easy, there isn't as much content and movement is restricted by mountains and invisible walls. However Skyrim is much easier to get into than these two games and this must also be the reason for all there positive reviews.
  76. Jun 20, 2012
    First of all, just because I gave the game a 7 doesn't mean that Skyrim is a bad game, in fact, it is quite fun. However I just don't think it is nearly the masterpiece that Fallout 3 or Morrowind was. The mechanics are pretty poor and revolve around a "favorite" system where my bulky fingers often press the wrong buttons and I use stuff I didn't want to, this system also stops combatFirst of all, just because I gave the game a 7 doesn't mean that Skyrim is a bad game, in fact, it is quite fun. However I just don't think it is nearly the masterpiece that Fallout 3 or Morrowind was. The mechanics are pretty poor and revolve around a "favorite" system where my bulky fingers often press the wrong buttons and I use stuff I didn't want to, this system also stops combat which kills the fluidness of the game. I wish that Bethesda had used the hotkey system they did in Morrowind. In this game I saw a lot of rehashing of things that Bethesda used in Fallout 3 and Morrowind, including items, references, and soundtracks which made me laugh. I was also disappointed in how unbalanced the classes were in this game. Warriors are horrible and pretty much useless while mages with fire magic kill just about anything hard, be it spriggans or trolls. Some enemies like the cavebear are just plain overpowered. I think perhaps the most disappointing thing in the game is that you find items according to your level. You can't just walk into a cave at level 1 and stumble upon a daedric longsword like you could in Morrowind. To me this takes away from the fun in the game. I would also like to say that this is the most buggy game I think Bethesda has ever released which was another disappointment. I did however think Skyrim was a big improvement over Oblivion as far as surroundings and storyline, but It just doesn't have the mechanics, fluidness, mystery and fun factor that Morrowind had. Expand
  77. Nov 15, 2011
    This game is a must buy! Bethesda Softworks has gone further than they have with any other title. The amount of content in this game is at such a large scale that you will have to spend hundreds of hours to get a complete 100%. The map design is on a whole other level then compared to oblivion. You will actually feel like you are traversing around a large mountainous region. With more toThis game is a must buy! Bethesda Softworks has gone further than they have with any other title. The amount of content in this game is at such a large scale that you will have to spend hundreds of hours to get a complete 100%. The map design is on a whole other level then compared to oblivion. You will actually feel like you are traversing around a large mountainous region. With more to explore then the simple forests you ran into 80% of the time like in Oblivion. The map feels like it did back when I played Morrowind. I feel like I am actually traversing across a country with being able to walk through a tundra only to be going down a thin mountainous path into a forests of orange and red. Now the typical Bethesda bugs are back, some that you would have expected them to be able to fix. With the rain still falling through buildings. But I blame that more on the choice they made on their engine that is mostly still their ever since it's construction for Oblivion.

But the few bugs and problems the game have is so quickly forgotten when you are exploring and finding everything this game has to offer.
  78. Jun 4, 2013
    The important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of theThe important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of the basic gameplay system and interactions when you compare it to modern games like Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

I do not recommend a purchase unless its at bargain prices or you are completely new to Elder Scrolls.
  79. Oct 7, 2013
    Good game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and youGood game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and you cannot increase strength. It improves on some aspects which other Elder Scrolls games lacked but in return loses a bit here and there but I'd say overall it's a step up as a modernized version. Expand
  80. Dec 8, 2011
    It's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make SkyrimIt's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make Skyrim value for money and worth peoples time. Unfortunately I found the main story fairly lame and I felt disinterested in most of Skyrim's characters and skipped over most of the dialog which should not be the case in an RPG. I found myself only completing quests for rewards rather than any story purpose which is a missed opportunity. I also did not like most of the character models in Skyrim, the humanoid faces were awkward to look at. As I played Skyrim on PC I was disappointed that the UI was very console friendly at the expense of much keyboard/mouse support, which is something that is inexcusable for a game originating on the PC. Overall Skyrim is an epic game and one that has a lot of depth, its a pity that the characters and overall story of the game are not better but it is what it is. Recommended. Expand
  81. Nov 11, 2011
    First the game is gorgeous, love the atmosphere of another TES game. However... my impressions are mixed between the love for the series and the potential - and how they mangled the menus and interface for the PC.

Even in the character creation screen I found it frustrating switching between mouse and keyboard just to tweak how my guy looks. You can't mouse into the next setting and I ran into a problem several times where I had to back out using the top menus with my mouse because the context menus were stuck.

Then there is the inventory system. Ick. I still think that top navigation and splitting the areas out below is way better than this side scrolling system. Do weapons only have two stats? Damage and weight? lol. Where are the more detailed stats like swing rate etc. You can't even view how items look without exiting out of the menu, standing still and pivoting to see your character.

The skills menu is another area where while it looks pretty for the first bit, you should really have an option where you can condense it into a single overview screen.

There needs to be a better way to swtich weapons and spells besides using favourites. I don't like having to pause the action every 2 minutes to switch my loadout from bow to dual wield, to spells etc. Cumbersome.

In my opinion though, menus are pretty easy to change. The actually game plays well and the story captured my interest immediately. The crafting, harvesting and other elements are pretty well done. This is only a first impressions rating. I might have to buy it for PS3 or just hookup my PS3 controller to the PC in order for me to get beyond the cumbersome menu systems though. Looking forward to playing it more this weekend!
  82. Nov 17, 2011
    Hurray sandbox, but it's all handled horrifically. You can fight! But it's the worst fighting engine in any game! You can steal! But it's just picking stuff up! You can housebreak! But it's a terribly done minigame. You can ride a horse! But it handles like you're on foot, just with a horse model stuck to your butt. You can talk to 1000s of NPCs! But they all say one of 4 things andHurray sandbox, but it's all handled horrifically. You can fight! But it's the worst fighting engine in any game! You can steal! But it's just picking stuff up! You can housebreak! But it's a terribly done minigame. You can ride a horse! But it handles like you're on foot, just with a horse model stuck to your butt. You can talk to 1000s of NPCs! But they all say one of 4 things and nothing you say to them will impact anything. And so on... Expand
  83. Mar 25, 2012
    Now that most of the problems seem to e fixed. Its a decent game. Still just kinda "Meeehh"...................................................................
  84. Nov 11, 2011
    Best Elder Scrolls out to date. Free world ROLEPLAYING and beautiful game world exploration at its finest. I give it an 8 due to -1 for it clearly being made for console and they could have taken the time and ported over to PC a little better. Not a major flaw but a flaw none the less. The next -1 is for video driver and pathing/camera issues. No ATI crossfire support and someBest Elder Scrolls out to date. Free world ROLEPLAYING and beautiful game world exploration at its finest. I give it an 8 due to -1 for it clearly being made for console and they could have taken the time and ported over to PC a little better. Not a major flaw but a flaw none the less. The next -1 is for video driver and pathing/camera issues. No ATI crossfire support and some intermittent NPC pathing issues (especially in large groups) are troublesome but not game breaking.

Next, I would like to point out, please make sure your PC meets the recommend requirements before writing a review on performance. This game is hardware demanding, both on Processor and on VideoCard. Many are posting with PC specs half a decade or more older than what is recommended. Recommended = QuadCore Proc, 4GB+ RAM, Nvidia GTX260+ or ATI 4890HD+
  85. Nov 12, 2011
    I've played over 20 hours, and this game meets or far exceeds my expectations. Especially with respect to how greatly optimized the engine is, which is something they hardly spoke about. I expected to have to run the game in medium settings since I'm a fair way below recommended; but I can run it in high with no slowdowns, and the clip range is further than any game I've ever playedI've played over 20 hours, and this game meets or far exceeds my expectations. Especially with respect to how greatly optimized the engine is, which is something they hardly spoke about. I expected to have to run the game in medium settings since I'm a fair way below recommended; but I can run it in high with no slowdowns, and the clip range is further than any game I've ever played before. The difference in quality between this and recent Bioware offerings hammers home that corporations can't make good RPG's; and that Bethesda Game Studios is peerless in the crafting of single player RPGs. Expand
  86. Nov 22, 2011
    I have not played previous Elder Scrolls games (though I have played many other games, RPG and otherwise), so this review (for PC version) comes without any comparison to its prequels. I've played this game for about a week, and on the whole, it feels rather average to me, as though it has several pros, it also has many cons.

Pros: - Very large world / map to explore, with locations that

Pros:
    - Very large world / map to explore, with locations that are not necessary to questing, heightening realism and enjoyable for those who like to explore
    - Fast travel is nice because it allows you to save time travelling to places you have already been to, saving on wasted travelling time without actually cutting out the need to explore first
    - Large amount of side quests which mostly do not have to be done in a linear manner; quests also have some variety in type as they aren't all 'just kill this monster' quests
    - NPCs sometimes follow you around the house when you venture into their private areas, especially if you are sneaking, in an attempt to steal items, a very nice touch which makes stealing more difficult
    - The ability to craft armor and weapons, make potions and cook food are a good addition, as it adds more sophistication to the game
    - Decent, though not fantastic graphics
    - The ability to own a home, decorate it, and store items you don't want to carry or sell adds a personal touch to the game
    - The ability to joins certain groups / factions adds an identifying factor to the character you play

Cons:
    - Quests (in themselves) are very linear; most do not offer multiple options or diversions from the route to completion
    - Barely any attempt at a background or history for your character; race and gender have hardly any impact on the story in general, aside from some NPC comments here or there; your character has little to say at all times, and dialogue options are all straightforward and have no variety of choice based on character / attitude; character also has no movement or quirks that define personality
    - Character build (i.e. warrior, thief, mage) not distinct, and has no impact on quests or stories; NPCs will call you whatever they want - a mage calls you a mage, and an archer calls you an archer
    - The game is simply too easy - combat is extremely straight forward and the combat actions / graphics are highly limited; recovery is also pretty quick
    - Not many cinematic cutscenes to show off graphics or to expand on stories and make you identify with the game story / character(s)
    - NPCs are pretty dull - they lack character, either through back story or voice acting; you have little motivation to actually listen to them speak
    - Followers are even more dull - thorough lack of interest in followers as they seem to have little character, and few events to motivate you to want to have followers; you just have them for pack mules and additional fighting power; they act like robots (and my follower sounds downright rude in fact)
    - Characters can change armor in the middle of combat which removes realism from the game
    - Some glitches and problems with the game, such as weird graphics glitches, black screens upon alt-tabbing, occasional unfathomable crashes
    - NPCs and your followers do not move out of the way when you try to move past them - this can result in you getting stuck in a room when your follower is blocking the doorway (I ended up shoving them with my shield just to get them out of the doorway, thus hurting them in the process)
    - Inability to drop quests you don't want or don't like
    - Have to get around menus mostly using the keyboard; the mouse doesn't work on everything - console port?
    - No one-page-viewable character breakdown, showing how your character looks, his / her stats, EQ, possible states etc.
    - Inventory is clunky to use - you have to scroll down through each category to look for items, rather than having them all listed out clearly on a single viewable list; generally the UI is really inconvenient to use; time is wasted scrolling through stuff all the time

All in all, Skyrim is a game that feels more like a simple intellectual exercise than one that engages your emotions. After many hours of playing this game, it has frankly gotten rather boring and tedious, and has become something to pass time on with routine button pressing, rather than something I can't wait to do.
  87. Nov 14, 2011
    Wow! This is really what I was hoping for. Great game. Excellent story with interesting characters. A significant improvement over Oblivion. You can also see that it pays off to not fall into a yearly schedule like Dragon Age.
  88. Nov 12, 2011
    I don't understand why people give this game a 0, if you can play it you can rate it. I'd give it a 9.5 but rounding it to 10. Firstly the art direction is much better though people say otherwise, the textures are quite low rez though when you look at the scenery as a whole its pretty gorgeous. The shaders, lighting, shadows and hdr effects are 10 times better than oblivion. TheI don't understand why people give this game a 0, if you can play it you can rate it. I'd give it a 9.5 but rounding it to 10. Firstly the art direction is much better though people say otherwise, the textures are quite low rez though when you look at the scenery as a whole its pretty gorgeous. The shaders, lighting, shadows and hdr effects are 10 times better than oblivion. The environments have a much more realistic tone, which reminded me a lot of morrowind, which was till now maybe, my fave TES game.

The world is very dense even though the total land mass may be equivalent to oblivion, running through the tundra seeing forests stretching into the distance, mountain peaks towering on the side with cloud covered peaks, truly makes this game feel much more immense.

Much better looking characters, believable faces, anatomy and textures...oh AND voices thank goodness. As well as animations have improved tenfold, I mean from what I can remember bethesdas animation for previous games aren't what you'd call good, but defiantly much better in skyrim. Can no longer do floaty jumps and swing your swords as if they were made of plastic. Dual wield, dual spells, proper crafting system, disenchanting items to unclock enchantments, etc this game really has surpassed in features of any TES game.

The big plus for me is the game can actually be quite tough, you will sometimes get 2-3 shot by things, trust me you will be utilizing the quick save feature often. Naturally you go exploring you should bump in to some badass things that should eat your face, it adds to the thrill of exploration, which is one of the reasons I loved morrowind, a game that was hugely rewarding to explore. Unlike oblivion which had some doughy scaling system that was so obvious everything was leveled according to you, which got rid of any sense of progression, by the time you hit 30s in oblivion maybe less, bandits all had daedric/ebony armor...cool eh.

And what else...the repetitiveness of caves and etc have been addressed and it's a pleasure to actually see caves and dungeons that differ. The music is just so good too, really adds to the feeling and atmosphere and yes I could write a book but I will leave it here, great game, a must get.

TLDR: Improves on everything that was In oblivion, minus the bad, feels like a new morrowind, get the game.
  89. Nov 15, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game. its everything i had expected form the series and in my opinion its games like this that raise the bar for others. the only thing that sucks is the long wait for the next game in this series.
  90. Feb 28, 2012
    At first I rather liked the game, but the more I played it the more I did not like it. After playing through the main story and doing a few side quests it hit my the game just got old fast. This game is like paying for and playing Oblivion again and the elements that were new, really did not matter much.

Like the other elder scroll games you have a large world with a non-linear go do what you want feel. The problem with an entirely non-linear world is that you give up story development and character development to achieve a non-linear game. This makes it so that there is no re-playability to the game as all the world reacts identical to a character when they are single or when they are married with a wife who fights besides the hero all the time. You would think the characters would at least acknowledge the wife NPCs existence when you talk.

The dragon story is good, I actually liked the Werewolf one better. The problem is both were to short and ultimately shallow in how the stories changed and interacted with the characters and the world. For example once you defeat the main story line and still do other things in the game no seems to recognize that you saved the world. Everyone talks to you as if you have not yet done it. Once your a werewolf the faction which hates werewolves does not get any more aggressive towards you, when you start to become part of a group the werewolf hating faction knows to be werewolves it does not change the lines they use when they see you.... in fact the lines used when things see you are identical between different groups you run into.

Your characters and actions have very little to do with the way the world turns out as it does not really seem to change at all. Even when you cause changes in rulers the new ruler uses the same lines the old ruler did. Its almost like they developed a set of "Ruler" lines and use them for ever ruler in different voices.

The open world is great, but I am not playing an MMO here, its a single player game that should by all current standards morph and change based on what has happened in the world. NPCs should have some different character but in this they all feel the same. That was OK when Morrowind came out, and even somewhat ok when you put out Oblivion but games come along way in character and story development since then and this game is just old.

Specific to the PC version. Its a console port and no real changes were made. If you play a wizard you cant hot key spells onto the number keys of your keyboard you can only ready one spell in each hand. While this has nothing to do with the game unless on a PC it is very annoying on a PC so if you must play this game, get it on a console where it was made to be played rather than a PC as the lack of ability to assign keys will be frustrating.

The Magic system also has much to be desired. While weapons and armor improve in both protection and offensive abilities the magic system does not allow the same progression. The perks for magic reduce costs of casting spells, something you can get with equipment. They should change the perks to cause spells to have longer duration and/or greater damage/effect so that it scales as you level. I like to play magic users and by 30th level even though I had specialized in magic and worked far more with my magic (destruction magic more specifically) I could do better fighting with a long sword and dagger. Magic is great at first but as you level it becomes obsolete by comparison to weapons.

So to recap
    * Bad character development
    * Bad World Development
    * Bad NPC development
    * Really bad Magic System
    * Good non-linear play
    * Good no dialog death

I am amazed this game has such good reviews because its not in the same galaxy as games like Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect (original) or Knight of the Old Republic which I would rather have kept my money and replayed one of these than wasted the time on this game.
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    Simple..... with out a doubt the best game of the year. Some of the reviews from the idiot trollers on here are well just utter total rubbish.

The bottom line is no other studio produces games, or for a better word, Worlds like the elder scrolls games, everything from the sublime production values, the endless time spent by the developers on every little facet and detail, the feeling of complete exploration, the haunting musical score evoking a feeling of drama and isolation, I could go on but I have a world to explore.
    Bethesda thank you for producing games like these, GOTY without a doubt
  92. Nov 11, 2011
    An amazing, amazing game. One of the best games I have ever played. A great sequel to Oblivion and past Elder Scrolls Games. And maybe even one of the best RPGs ever created. This game is a must own for any Elder Scrolls fan, RPG fan and gamer in general. 10/10! :D
  93. Dec 12, 2011
    Skyrim is a great game, with a massive world, hundreds of side quests, and enough gameplay to keep you in front of your rig for a couple hundred hours at least! But I can't give this game a 10 or even a 9 due to the technical issues. The game is filled with bugs to the brim (and the occasional crash, although rare) and although Bethesda have promised us a patch, i haven't seen any patches.Skyrim is a great game, with a massive world, hundreds of side quests, and enough gameplay to keep you in front of your rig for a couple hundred hours at least! But I can't give this game a 10 or even a 9 due to the technical issues. The game is filled with bugs to the brim (and the occasional crash, although rare) and although Bethesda have promised us a patch, i haven't seen any patches. The menu is a console port, even an idiot can see that, and the gameplay does have some glitches and combat does get repetitive sometimes. But overall, I'm really enjoying this! I'm only level 27, but I've been to every town or city there is, and there's always plenty to do! Expand
  94. Nov 13, 2011
    As a new follower to the Elder Scrolls world - only played Oblivion, I can say, without a doubt, this is one of the better games I've EVER played. Period. The depth of the quests, the soothing sounds of the soundtrack, and the absolutely beautiful world created in Skyrim will resonate with me for a long time to come. I have sunk 30 hours in and I haven't even begun to scratch the surfaceAs a new follower to the Elder Scrolls world - only played Oblivion, I can say, without a doubt, this is one of the better games I've EVER played. Period. The depth of the quests, the soothing sounds of the soundtrack, and the absolutely beautiful world created in Skyrim will resonate with me for a long time to come. I have sunk 30 hours in and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of how far the proverbial rabbit-hole goes. They took what was awesome from Oblivion, coupled it with the positive characteristics attached to the new Fallout series, and made one hell of a good game. True, they are some bugs, but nothing that detracts you from the games playability in the least. I even find some hilarious - like woolly mammoths that fly. So I never gave them two thoughts. I can't put this game down. If you love the Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series, or any game in general, get this, you will not regret it. Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    Reading over some of the mixed and negative reviews that have been submitted, it's disappointing to see how the current generation of gamers expect perfection from ambitious games and spoon-fed gameplay.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the pinnacle of the current generation of gaming. With breath-taking graphics, solid, intuitive controls, refined gameplay and a huge sandbox world, there's really not much more that you can ask for from a single-player game well worth the $60 dollar investment.

Although the graphics do at times look rough around the edges, it's the grand scale of things that really defines Skyrim as a precedent for future games. Taking into consideration how ambitious Skyrim aims to be, it can excused when there are tiny blemishes inside of what is a massive package. In terms of graphics, my biggest complaint are animations. Bethesda should look into improving their animations for their next installments of Elder Scrolls.

Sounds are brilliantly programmed, bringing the in-game world to life. There are endless background noises, hacks and slashes sound crisp, and sounds for spells seem real when cast. The music is also on-point, with a fitting score that matches the epic feeling of the game. It's also been much improved since Oblivion, with combat cues more varied, subtle and well placed. I'm looking forward to hearing all of the music.

Game-play is by far the best feature in Skyrim. Whether you decide to become a thief or a battlemage, the game is tailored to your defining your experience. No dragon fight you will have will be the same as the next, and each play-through will have you experiencing new things. The amount of content also seems endless... which is impressive, as the game is only 5 GB on my hard drive. Improvements have also been made in terms of personalization; perks and skill trees have been introduced, changing the way your character plays depending on where you branch off. Also dual-wielding has been introduced, allowing for more interesting gameplay options.

I haven't dived into professions yet, but I look forward to enchanting and smithing soon. Basically, this game is incredible. The story is immerse, the environment is realistic enough to be believable, and fighting dragons is by far one of my favorite experiences in gaming. I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase and I would recommend this game to anyone.
  96. Nov 14, 2011
    Absolutely worth the wait. I fully expect it to take GOTY honors which it absolutely deserves. Improved graphics, combat system, menu navigation. Great story lines and another brilliant soundtrack. Have had the game freeze up twice in about 3 solid days of playing. A couple of graphic glitches here and there and some AI issues... Nothing that has diminished the experience for me.
  97. Nov 14, 2011
    Amazing game if you're a fan of Oblivion and Fallout 3. This is a huge immersive world. Love the new art style, UI design and perks. Very addicting gameplay.
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    Great game, though the controls are a bit awkward because it's designed for the console. Visually speaking, it's about as good as it gets with stunning and well-designed locations/creatures.
  99. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is awesome. I was a big fan of Fallout New Vegas so a lot feels familiar which I like. I can see myself wasting a good 100+ hours on this one which in my opinion makes it worth the purchase price.
  100. Nov 16, 2011
    Great game! Definitely deserves the spot for GOTY. I haven't even played the game yet, and it seems amazing. Not only the graphics but all the interaction around you, and how "doing this and doing that, can lead to this". You really get to live your own life in the game, you can make decisions and all that. For sure the greatest game from Bethesda so far. People will spend a long time onGreat game! Definitely deserves the spot for GOTY. I haven't even played the game yet, and it seems amazing. Not only the graphics but all the interaction around you, and how "doing this and doing that, can lead to this". You really get to live your own life in the game, you can make decisions and all that. For sure the greatest game from Bethesda so far. People will spend a long time on this one, especially on the PC with all the mods that expand the game! Collapse

1. Feb 29, 2012