8.0

1. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time. Takes a crap on both Oblivion & Morrowind. It is what Oblivion wished it was. With all the improvements and added content that Oblivion left out. Skyrim is a complete game.
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    Game is amazing, nothing more to say. Immersion factor 10. I am trying to avoid the game at this point because I wont do anything else. A few ruff edges here and there, but be prepared to not have a girlfriend, sign some divorce papers, lose your job, or any other negative thing that comes with being lost in a game.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Fantastic fun game that does a great job immersing you into its world. It feels like it looks and I love the setting, coldy windy, norse mythology mixed with the deep story and background of Elder Scrolls. It rings familiar of Oblivion but the characters feel like real humans and while still not exactly pretty don't rip you our of the experience any longer. The simplified skilling systemFantastic fun game that does a great job immersing you into its world. It feels like it looks and I love the setting, coldy windy, norse mythology mixed with the deep story and background of Elder Scrolls. It rings familiar of Oblivion but the characters feel like real humans and while still not exactly pretty don't rip you our of the experience any longer. The simplified skilling system is perfect for me because i dont want to get my calculator out and permanently worry about messing up my "build". I can understand if you liked that part of the previous games you might be dissapointed by that. For me it balances out to a great value and I look forward to a long winter in Skyrim. The PC version needs some fixing with some glitches here and there like followers dissapearing but overall its the best RPG i have every played and I have been doing this since the first Baldurs Gate. Expand
  4. Nov 15, 2011
    This game is awesome. Every inch is so rich and just simply amazing looking. Characters, animation, effects, environments are all top notch. I have seen some odd ai behavior here and there, but that is to be expected in a game where you can do almost anything! It is so huge, I will be playing for many months to come. I don't see why some are hating on the UI so bad, I guess that because IThis game is awesome. Every inch is so rich and just simply amazing looking. Characters, animation, effects, environments are all top notch. I have seen some odd ai behavior here and there, but that is to be expected in a game where you can do almost anything! It is so huge, I will be playing for many months to come. I don't see why some are hating on the UI so bad, I guess that because I played with a controller. I tried playing with mouse and keyboard too to figure out what people were talking about. Using ASDW in the menus lets you roll through them pretty fast, I didn't find myself clicking around with the mouse like some seem to be doing. A bit different yes, bad no. I just think peeps need to get used to it. The more I play, the better this game gets. Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    The game was setout as a spiritual successor of oblivion. And that is what it is!

Honestly, if your after something blindingly new in the world of TES then your not going to get it. This game is what oblivion should have been. The immersion is amazing, the environment is vast, changing and beautiful, sure the graphics are not exactly top of the range but honestly, ive never felt for a moment that the graphics detract from the immersion. Wind changes the landscape, water erodes the rock, the world physically changes around you through no choice of your own. You feel small , you feel like the world is there.. and your just living in it.

Theres a whole list of things i could say to sway you, but frankly those who love this genre.. wont need convincing. Those who played oblivion but hoped it could be something more.. wont need convincing. Those who would enjoy this game... dont need convincing... as they will already have it. If you didnt see its announcement and pre-order on the spot.. this game isnt for you.
  6. Nov 17, 2011
    I'd like for everyone to keep in mind that everyone's experience of this game differs according to the graphics settings, kind of character, and type of ad-hoc gameplay style they develop when playing through skyrimz. Myself, I do appreciate a challenge, but I also like to appreciate the storyline without having gut-wrenching, impossible battles. As such, I'm playing the game on theI'd like for everyone to keep in mind that everyone's experience of this game differs according to the graphics settings, kind of character, and type of ad-hoc gameplay style they develop when playing through skyrimz. Myself, I do appreciate a challenge, but I also like to appreciate the storyline without having gut-wrenching, impossible battles. As such, I'm playing the game on the default difficulty level. If you prefer to take a more relaxed approach like me, I recommend doing same. As for my playing style, I'm role playing the game as sort of a noble vigilante much like Robinhood. I haven't officially joined any factions other than the College of Winterhold which is purportedly not involved in world affairs-at least, that's the version of the story your told to believe. Behind the veneer of the college as a distant, scholarly retreat, there is the reality that the college is full of men and women with ulterior motives who have brought unsanctioned practices and customs with them, regardless of approval by the college's authorities. So far, the college if proving to be a very enjoyable experience. Compared to Oblivion's and Morrowind's Mage Guilds, the storyline is much richer, and you really do get the sense that your just a pawn in a dangerous game of mage politics. As for the game-play itself, I was frankly blown right of my socks by the dual casting. The visuals for the spells, the way the body moves when casting, and way spells can combine together nearly made me pee myself. If it's any indication to you of how cool spell casting is in this game, I spent nearly 45 minutes to an hour trying out different spells on the outskirts of a city just to see what they looked like and to test them all out. The only strong criticism I have for Bethesda, in terms of mage combat, is that there a major lack of conjuration spells. I'm hoping they'll make up for this in DLC's they release. Additionally, I'm thinking they may have erred in how they designed the level-up system for mages. It may have been a better idea to have sub-specialties for conjuration crazies like me so that the creatures we summoned gained better hp and attacks buffs as we put more skills into, for example, daedric summoning. In the end design, they probably limited the amount of spells in order to have better balance in the game and to be able to perfect each spell in terms of it's visuals and associated casting movements. Sword and archery combat is a great deal improved now, too. There are spin moves, thrusts, and slashes for sword lovers who want to have more flexibility in terms of their combat style which is a major plus. Then, for those who are more the dark brotherhood types, there are special take down moves that can be done with swords and daggers from up close. Secondly, archery feels much more natural now. The way your arms and body moves when you draw your bow is much more natural. Long distance shots are quite difficult to land since arrows actually do arch, but short range shots almost always hit (even if you're a low level archer). The bowman can even do a sort of shove attack with the bow to fend off attacking enemies although this isn't very effective against enemies wielding large weapons because they hit you long before you can shove them back with your bow. A minor complaint here, but I think Bethesda should have added a richer complement of melee attack options for the bow. In addition to the shove, the archer should be able to swing his bow as a make-shift blunt weapon and even use his arrows as a dagger. Alchemy seems pretty complex, and there are thousands of ingredients and recipe books to keep the alchemy buffs quite content. As for the number and variety of quests, I couldn't do them full justice here, but I think I can sum it up in one sentence. If you wanted to be a full-time adventurer and/or treasure hunter, it's entirely possible to do so given the sheer number of side quests available. I can't tell you the number of times I've run into random bandits, creatures, altars, graves, abandoned forts, mines, and ruins that have their own mini-story lines and often lead to other quests. Freaking awesome!

Overall, the graphics, storylines, and voice-acting collectively work together to produce a role-playing experience so immersive, enthralling, and impressive that you may never put the game down until you finish it.
  7. Nov 21, 2011
    Games like this are the reason I became a gamer. This is video game perfection in every sense of the word. Props to Bethesda for not selling out and adding a garbage multiplayer mode. It's simply not needed. You pay $60, and get a game with literally 1000+ hours of content. Sorry all you little losers who need to rank up every 30 seconds to find joy in a game - this isn't for you.Games like this are the reason I became a gamer. This is video game perfection in every sense of the word. Props to Bethesda for not selling out and adding a garbage multiplayer mode. It's simply not needed. You pay $60, and get a game with literally 1000+ hours of content. Sorry all you little losers who need to rank up every 30 seconds to find joy in a game - this isn't for you. But any true gamer will appreciate this masterpiece. Expand
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is abseloutly amazing! I It's like constantly thrilling, and it never stops! This game has actual content inside, which means the game has a soul. I personally think this game contains an endles experience, you wont regret buying it! 10/10 Expand
  9. Nov 12, 2011
    Perhaps it's a bit early for me to be writing a review (only played about 4 hours), but I'm gonna go ahead and call it - this game is really good. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan - I found Oblivion to be boring. The landscape, the story, everything about it seemed like some half-assed Tolkien ripoff. This game displays more personality, has a landscape that is interesting and pretty (notPerhaps it's a bit early for me to be writing a review (only played about 4 hours), but I'm gonna go ahead and call it - this game is really good. I'm not a huge Elder Scrolls fan - I found Oblivion to be boring. The landscape, the story, everything about it seemed like some half-assed Tolkien ripoff. This game displays more personality, has a landscape that is interesting and pretty (not cut-and-paste woodlands), and shows improvement in almost all ways. It has flaws. The combat is a bit better than Oblivion (especially archery) but still feels stiff. The voice acting can be pretty wooden, and some (very little) of the dialogue has made me cringe. But it's well worth the money.

And as for the people talking about what a buggy mess it is... well, it has a patch out. I patched it before playing and I have not had any graphical bugs or crashes. It's worked perfectly.
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    Best RPG of the year. Nuff' Said. This game will eat away your life; I couldn't even keep track of time while I was playing lol.
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    graphic is sometimes fantastic, but not everywhere. at the beginning i thought the graphic looks average but the longer you play you more get into it. the atmosphere for me is good, its very thick. sometimes you can get some bugs, i hope they patch them out very soon. the game is fun and interesting and not that complicated. its a very good game for 2011 and this game deserves a goodgraphic is sometimes fantastic, but not everywhere. at the beginning i thought the graphic looks average but the longer you play you more get into it. the atmosphere for me is good, its very thick. sometimes you can get some bugs, i hope they patch them out very soon. the game is fun and interesting and not that complicated. its a very good game for 2011 and this game deserves a good rating. the steam feature i thought is useful but i couldn't even install it from the cd but after a trick i could, i mean this should install automatically from cd, we live in the 21 century.
    play it if you love gothic or the witcher,

iam out
  12. Nov 12, 2011
    Graphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of theGraphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of the big horrifying problems though is the obviously built for consoles user interface. It's like a nightmarish laggy iTunes inspired inventory where 5000 songs are spread over only 10 album/artists. Oh, and you can't switch to album view. The worst part is, I don't know if mod tools can fix it. I feel like the UI is a big part of a game since it's basically your window into all of your game interactions. Considering you're going to be using it throughout the ENTIRE game more effort ought to be put into it.

Sure, there is some hotkey support such as pressing 'm' for the map, 'j' for the quest log and being able to pull up a favorites list with 'q'. But it all feels really tacked on. The mouse can pick items in the inventory as you'd expect but the way that the items are presented makes using the mouse feel like you're using one of those extendo-grabber-clow things to pick up a coke can. If a mod that basically presents row/columns of multiple items instead of just one GIANT screen hogging 3D render of an item and allows you to select them through that comes out, this game can be marked for finished.
  13. Nov 12, 2011
    It's here! The Elder Scrolls are back, the dragons have returned, and it's time to take your sword and head into another captivating adventure of the Elder Scrolls series. Now, I won't claim this game is perfect. Far from it, actually. But what this game is... it is captivating, it is huge, it's utterly epic. Unfortunately, living up to the huge hype that followed this title seems to be anIt's here! The Elder Scrolls are back, the dragons have returned, and it's time to take your sword and head into another captivating adventure of the Elder Scrolls series. Now, I won't claim this game is perfect. Far from it, actually. But what this game is... it is captivating, it is huge, it's utterly epic. Unfortunately, living up to the huge hype that followed this title seems to be an impossible task to uphold. First of all, the menus and controls seem to be made for a joypad, rather than the mouse&keyboard combo, which is a shame, because in some situations, when you're facing a horde of enemies, it can be somewhat painful, if not fatal, to change between the various spells, weapons and abilities your character might come in possession of. Secondly, bugs and glitches are ever present, but seeing the scope and the size of the game, they feel petty and unimportant, but then we come across huge bugs that just frustrate you. Also, the small amount of space the game requires on the Hard Drive and its relatively small system requirements have taken a toll in form of low-res textures. Nevertheless, the game still looks gorgeous, even on Medium and High settings, but, also, while animations are better than Oblivions, there's still room for improvement. Animations, however, won't stop you from enjoying the rugged landscapes of Skyrim, as they are stunning and gorgeous, and exploration never gets boring, as there is always something to do, one more cave to explore, one more ruin to clear. Gameplay has undergone some improvements, but, also, one huge drawback: removal of attributes, still, the game is enjoyable, and has depth, as combat has been somewhat improved, the magic system is fantastic and the dragon shouts are useful tools. The crafting system is by far the best in any TES game, and brings memories to the crafting of the Gothic series. So, to conclude: Bethesda has delivered one of the best games of this year. Although it doesn't quite live up to the hype, this game is a very good piece of software, sure, it has its flaws, and many PC gamers may feel disappointed and disgruntled by some of them, but, for the rest of us, with a bit higher level of tolerance, TES 5 is an enjoyable, fun game to play, that will provide a great many hours of entertainment. Expand
  14. Nov 12, 2011
    OK being a huge rpg fan i really like skyrim its great looking compared to earlier elder scrolls games not as many glitches way to much stuff do third person is ok at best but there are some glitches when ever u try to duel wield it will only show one item on u when u put away your weapon which sucks and more often the not your finishing move will look awkward me personally i would haveOK being a huge rpg fan i really like skyrim its great looking compared to earlier elder scrolls games not as many glitches way to much stuff do third person is ok at best but there are some glitches when ever u try to duel wield it will only show one item on u when u put away your weapon which sucks and more often the not your finishing move will look awkward me personally i would have gave this a 11.5 out of ten but i have to look at it from a critics stand point but i suggest u pick it up it could easily b game of the year in my opinion Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2011
    This is a great game, as a previous mod developer for oblivion/heavy mod user, it does make me smile to see how much the developers listened to the community and Incorporated ideas and systems from mods. It feels like oblivion streamlined and made a lot better, and is a great game overall, i have enjoyed the storyline, although I am not done yet, and there is a huge amount of gameplayThis is a great game, as a previous mod developer for oblivion/heavy mod user, it does make me smile to see how much the developers listened to the community and Incorporated ideas and systems from mods. It feels like oblivion streamlined and made a lot better, and is a great game overall, i have enjoyed the storyline, although I am not done yet, and there is a huge amount of gameplay possibilities.

The only thing that prevents me from giving this a ten is that the textures are too low rez for a gaming pc that runs bf3 on ultra, however it still looks nice and I don't doubt that a HD texture pack and perhaps even tools to increase view distance (before LOD kicks in) will be available in the foreseeable future. The freedom in TES titles is about mod-ability as much as vanilla gameplay choices.
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    Brilliant game which immerses you in the Nordic mythology like no other yet with a weird twist which takes you back to the roots of Morrowind. 10/10, cant wait for expansions.
  17. Nov 13, 2011
    I've been playing for around 13 hours now. And I have to say it's a fantastic game. At first I was a little disappointed, but as I progressed I realised how much of a great game it is. I haven't encountered any problems except for 1 or 2 texture glitches. There are some similarities with Oblivion and Morrowind that some people may hate, but you can easily see past it. The game is huge stepI've been playing for around 13 hours now. And I have to say it's a fantastic game. At first I was a little disappointed, but as I progressed I realised how much of a great game it is. I haven't encountered any problems except for 1 or 2 texture glitches. There are some similarities with Oblivion and Morrowind that some people may hate, but you can easily see past it. The game is huge step forward from previous titles no matter what others say. I'm not going to go into any detail as many have already done that

Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with peoples reviews, try the game for yourself. Rent it(on PS3 or Xbox 360) or play it in a friends house first, just in-case you have regrets buying it and wasting your money.
  18. Nov 13, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a triumph. Bethesda's magnum opus and the new benchmark for action RPG's in terms of size, scope, scale, and story. There's a lot to love here. Bethesda managed to take its signature, addicting, open world style of game play and refine it to near perfection. There is a massive amount content here. So much so, it's staggering. I find myself talking toThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a triumph. Bethesda's magnum opus and the new benchmark for action RPG's in terms of size, scope, scale, and story. There's a lot to love here. Bethesda managed to take its signature, addicting, open world style of game play and refine it to near perfection. There is a massive amount content here. So much so, it's staggering. I find myself talking to everybody I meet to obtain new things to do, and even if they have nothing for me, a lot of the time they will add their own unique insight into the events and happenings in the world. This makes the world feel alive and lived in. Quests for the most part, are fun, interesting, and will easily distract you from the main story line in a numerous amount of wonderful ways. I won't list any spoilers here, but it's advisable to partake in these, even if the task seems trivial. The game starts off interestingly enough and it's immediately more engaging than the previous title. While I loved Oblivion, I found the first hour or two of the game to be relatively boring and painful. In fact, i had to pick it up and start over several times over a period of months before I finally got into the game. Again, I won't provide any spoilers, but it's much more engaging and vastly more interesting. I'm about 50 hours into the experience and I've not wanted to put down my controller.

Controller? PC? Rly? Why you ask? Well, it's simple. The game was designed for consoles. It's a simple fact, though this isn't a bad thing. I'll touch more on this later, but the new UI is beautiful, responsive and easy to access with a controller. Important information, for the most part, is easy to access and your treated to absolutely stunning 3D models of available armor, weapons, items, etc. Everything can be examined in real time front to back and there are tons of beautiful details to gorge yourself on. The gameplay is heavily revamped in this time around and there are a few new ways to enjoy combat here. The most notable being the ability to dual wield weapons. Yes, dual wield. This can be a combination of weapon and magic, or weapon weapon. I won't go into a lot of detail on this as it pretty much speaks for itself, but imagine being able to stream a wall of fire at your target, then close in to finish him off with an axe to the head. It's a load of fun. Each weapon can be triggered independently or together to have a cumulative effect which is substantially more powerful. Swordplay this time around feels much more engaging and is vastly more brutal. The finishing moves are also a nice touch, but seem to happen only at random. In other words, you will WANT to get up close in personal with your targets.

Now lets talk about the visuals. Bethesda revamped the entire visual style of the series the results are absolutely stunning. The attention to detail within the world of Skyrim is absolutely insane, setting a new benchmark for the genre visually. From the clouds swirling the mountain tops, the wind blowing freshly falling snow from the ground, and the amazing texture work, there is a lot to take in visually here and I found myself examining everything. In fact, the world looks so good that it's almost distracting. Those who have already made the 7,000 step hike to the top of The Throat of the World will agree with me here. The world of Skyrim is cold, jagged, and harsh....yet Bethesda managed to make such an unsettling place a thing of beauty. Even this said, there is plenty of variety in the environments to keep things from becoming stale.

Character models have been vastly improved and look amazing. Gone are the days of strange looking faces and awkwardly designed characters. Character animations could still use a bit of work, but for the most part they're superior to that of what was seen in Oblivion. The flow of time is greatly improved as well. NPC interact with themselves fluidly without many awkward pauses in their speech. Additionally, the world does not come to a halt when you talk to an NPC. This was a huge annoyance to me in Oblivion and took away from the overall immersion in the world.

The game is not without its flaws though and I wish I had more space to get into these, but there's nothing game breaking here. The UI is awkward if you use a keyboard and there are various bugs in the world such as wobbling plates plates on tables that should be stationary, slow transitions after brawls with NPC, and a few other things, but nothing severe. I also wish that weapons didn't seem to "bounce" off of a target when you swing.

Skyrim is a masterpiece. It's not a game, It's an experience. One that will easily take several hundred hours of your life. There's a lot I've not touched here such as customization of your character, but trust me...there's a lot to love here. Bethesda has not only set a new benchmark for itself, but for all open world games as a medium.
  19. Nov 13, 2011
    While I admit, the menus are a sorry console port, the game itself is breathtaking and amazing. Shame on the trolls who rated the game a zero. The graphics are amazing, the engine is far stabler (heck, the "~" console in oblivion didn't even work for me), and the gameplay is smoother. Some people complain that the game has been "dumbed down", but I must disagree. Fast travel is a majorWhile I admit, the menus are a sorry console port, the game itself is breathtaking and amazing. Shame on the trolls who rated the game a zero. The graphics are amazing, the engine is far stabler (heck, the "~" console in oblivion didn't even work for me), and the gameplay is smoother. Some people complain that the game has been "dumbed down", but I must disagree. Fast travel is a major boon, not a curse, especially with the massive size of the game world (I won't kid you, I haven't experienced 1/10 of it yet, it's so large). I, for one, would not want to spend half an hour getting from city to city just for "shop hopping", for example. As well, the "finishing blows" concept was a pleasant surprise to me. Does it make battles easier? Oh sure, but they're random with powerful strikes, and I've still managed to die a few times (half being falls from tall places - go figure), so I'd hardly say battles are suddenly too easy. I'm sure as soon as I have a run-in with a dragon, I'll invent some new curse words.

I wish there was a way to assign hotkeys to equipment instead of just using the favorite list (as in oblivion), but do like how versatile the favorite list is, as well as how spells and weapons can be given a hand.

The game plays amazingly smooth on my computer. Where Dragon Age II had some points where it stuttered, I've yet to encounter any lag even on the "high" settings that the game defaulted for me.

Is the game an improvement? Most definitely. Ignore the trolls who are rating 0s just because they're unhappy with a single change. The game is most definitely worth it, and then some.
  20. Nov 13, 2011
    Skyrim traditionally isn't a game with a strong main-quest, but with an unbelievable freedom. There are quests everywhere and a giant world to discover. Though the controls are not optimized for PC, its a jewel and a masterpiece. For me personally, it's the RPG-Highlight of the past 5 years.
  21. Nov 13, 2011
    My thoughts more than a review. This game is all around awesome. I never expected to get this game and never played any of the older ones. After getting it, I'm glad I did. CoD MW3 and BF3 are put on hold for awhile.

Run ultra graphics with a GTX 580. Load times are 2-3 seconds average with some loads going up to 5 seconds. Play with XBox controller. Amazing on 5.1 surround sound and 59" TV. Glad I got it for the PC.
  22. Nov 14, 2011
    First i would like to say that if you don't like this type of game don't play it. second don't say it looks worse then Morrowind, if you play on PC like you should and have it set to ultra this game makes everything else look like crap. now that i have the rambling out of the way lets get to the game itself. This game is amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes looking on the vast and beautifulFirst i would like to say that if you don't like this type of game don't play it. second don't say it looks worse then Morrowind, if you play on PC like you should and have it set to ultra this game makes everything else look like crap. now that i have the rambling out of the way lets get to the game itself. This game is amazing! I couldn't believe my eyes looking on the vast and beautiful of Skyrim. Everything has be greatly upgraded from Oblivion. The only reason i couldn't give this a 10 out of 10 was because of the poor scripting of the kill scenes. Half of the time your sword wouldn't even be touching the enemy. But besides that the game is perfect. can't wait to see what DLC comes out for it. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2011
    So far I've played Skyrim for 38 hours. So far I've been completely seduced by game. The quests are great and Skyrim is a marvelous addition to the series. In my opinion Skyrim is worth every penny, if you like the series, Skyrim is definitely a must.
    Even though the game is quite buggy, but which game doesn't have bugs? And I bet Bethesda would do anything to solve them and maybe even further improve it.
    They did a really good job working the engine to give Skyrim a great look, but they also managed to get it running on low spec computers. I run Skyrim on High graphics with an Macbook Pro (I use it for study but who can blame me for having the need to play Skyrim) from last year with Bootcamp with high fps rate. For me the graphics are the only thing which could have been better, but since I give a damn about graphics it doesn't matter at all.
    To all the reviewer giving Skyrim a bad review have proberbly neither played the game for longer then 10 hours or if they had they only **** about the graphics and the bugs. Of course they can't put all their resources on graphics if they unless they want their storyline to be as boring as any other FPS' like BF3 and MW3, which used all their resources on the graphic and left a single player campaign even worse ever. Not only did they get a great storyline but also made Skyrim into a nice piece of art. Not only do they give you the feeling that you are a Viking running around raping people and bashing skulls. But the environment will put you in awe. Never before has Tamriel looked so great as in Skyrim.
  24. Nov 15, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant! Breath-taking visuals, a class system with unparalleled customization, engaging and genuinely fun combat, ridiculous amounts of replay value, crafting that's actually useful, beautiful music and sound effects, interesting side quests, smooth/greatly improved animations and a rich, vibrant world that comes alive with the amount of lore involved! :)

I bought the PC

I bought the PC version, which isn't perfect, the menu system was clearly developed for the console and suffers because of it. Using your mouse to click on icons can cause you to be booted out of the menu, it's a little temperamental and clunky.

Unfortunately, as with the previous Elder Scrolls, there's little to no character development, it feels very lonely, your companions follow you silently, rarely commenting on anything you do, on-top of being incredibly two dimensional with no back story. Some of the voice acting is reused too often and there are many bugs and glitches.

Overall, a fantastic game that delivered on the majority of my expectations, but falls just barely short of being an all round master piece. I give it an 8.5/10.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    Im just going to start off by saying that this one of the best games, if not THE best game i have ever played. I have no idea where you guys are getting that its graphics are terrible- you must be playing on the lowest settings or something, because they are *stunning*. They look NOTHING like oblivion. And the animations are much less stiff. And besides, if youre honestly rating a gameIm just going to start off by saying that this one of the best games, if not THE best game i have ever played. I have no idea where you guys are getting that its graphics are terrible- you must be playing on the lowest settings or something, because they are *stunning*. They look NOTHING like oblivion. And the animations are much less stiff. And besides, if youre honestly rating a game down because of graphics, there is something wrong with you. There is a ridiculous amount of stuff to do, with each guild having an interesting questline, plus the many other side quests to do. Not to mention just running around exploring any cave you can find! The dwarf ruins are truely amazing-a MASSIVE improvement over the boring, grey ayleid ruins in Oblivion. The dragon fights, while easy later on are still really fun. Also to the people complaining about weapons and armor being invincible- it was a stupid concept anyway. Yes, it is more realistic, but does having to bring up a menu and whack your armor 50 times with a hammer really bring you that much satisfaction? Im glad its gone. Also, if you are experiencing alot of bugs, you must be very unlucky, I have not had any, besides, with a game as big as this it is understandable, and they will be fixed. For now, just save often. As for the UI, it is clearly not designed for PC, but i dont see the big deal.. you can still use your mouse. And IMO, the favorites system works great. While the controls are a bit clunky, you can change them easily, for example i changed my dragon shout so Mouse 3 for easy access. The perks system is WAY better than the levelling system in Oblivion, the environments are better, the cities feel more lifelike, crafting and being able to improve armor is really great, sneaking is improved, archery is improved, spells are improved, sprinting is an awesome addition, (Where are people getting that theres no new content??) and the combat feels alot less clunky at least for me. Also, to the person complaining about buildings just "Appearing" that happens.. if it really happens often enough for you to rate the game lower, you must need a better computer, lol. If it is too easy, TURN UP THE DIFFUCULTY.. duh.. And if anyone is complaining about unimaginitive places, just go to the Blackreach. Amazing. The only real complaint I have is that the main questline was somewhat dissapointing. It did bring you to some awesome places, but, i don't know it just didnt feel very satisfying, and the final boss was very easy. But who plays it for the main quest anyway? OH one more nitpick, why get rid of Longswords? Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2011
    I remembered playing oblivion after 150 or so hours of playing i wanted more this game not only kept the things i loved about its predecessor but added new things that expands the enjoyment of the game for me.
    Bethseda deserves a medal the graphics are not that much better than oblivion but makes up for it in other areas most of the glitches that annoyed me in oblivion are gone
    a down side
    a down side is the attack sometimes it feels as if you are striking into thin air also in oblivion but that doesn't bother me that much i love this game and i have to go i must play some more skyrim :).
  27. Nov 20, 2011
    This game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in theThis game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in the streets and people fight over it, trying to take it)

Endless quests, epic weapons, amazing music, many places to live, get married, tons of factions, kill animations, crafting, alchemy, enchanting, smelting, mining, wood chopping, tanning, smelting, sharpening, the world is so beyond alive it's crazy. Everything is so amazing, it's the most beautiful hand crafted world I have ever seen. Skyrim is nothing short of a master piece, and Bethesda earns every amount of praise they get. Game of the year, best game of all time.
  28. Nov 21, 2011
    I normally get bored with games after about 10 hours. I'm 30 hours into Skyrim and everything feels new. There are bugs, but they add to the experience, because its an elder scrolls game. Which just makes them funny! The graphics are great, the gameplay mechanics are awesome. They have really improved on combat since Oblivion. Also, all the guilds in the game have a ton of quests, you canI normally get bored with games after about 10 hours. I'm 30 hours into Skyrim and everything feels new. There are bugs, but they add to the experience, because its an elder scrolls game. Which just makes them funny! The graphics are great, the gameplay mechanics are awesome. They have really improved on combat since Oblivion. Also, all the guilds in the game have a ton of quests, you can literally play this game forever. I'm a wearwolf, and love it. And the vampires are cool too. The story is great, killing dragons really feels epic, but it does kinda get stale after the same old dragon fight. However, all the unique dungeons......this is my favorite part. Running through a random place you find, killing a boss, getting the loot. Its just a wonderful FUN game. Nothing really gets boring. Voice acting is spot on, and you feel like a real bad ass when you climb up on a dragon and shove your axe in its forehead :)'

great game, i love it, can't wait for DLC!
  29. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyrim is simply amazing. First off, any QQ about the game not running properly, LEARN TO UPDATE YOUR HARDWARE and DRIVERS. The PC is not a console. I'm running an i7, gtx570, 8gb of mediocre ram and the game runs PERFECT and max graphics. If you can't run it on high, then DON'T, its really as simple as that. As usual the TES franchise has an excellent mod community offering tons ofSkyrim is simply amazing. First off, any QQ about the game not running properly, LEARN TO UPDATE YOUR HARDWARE and DRIVERS. The PC is not a console. I'm running an i7, gtx570, 8gb of mediocre ram and the game runs PERFECT and max graphics. If you can't run it on high, then DON'T, its really as simple as that. As usual the TES franchise has an excellent mod community offering tons of content and more will be coming out, power to the PC. I love the new weapon system(the default mouse controls are just strange), finally it is viable to play a battlemage, unlike Oblivion. The simplification of the attribute system is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but the new system works very well and I no longer need my spreadsheets :P The world is simply huge, I've had more fun wandering the vast land of Skyrim than completing the main quest line. If you're looking for a great offline RPG to play then look no further than Skyrim. "Once M'aiq got in trouble in Riften, and fled to Windhelm. It is good that nobody there cared." - M'iaq the Liar Expand
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    Bethesda did a great job on this game here, I was a hue fan of there older games (Morrowind, Daggerfall and Arena), but Oblivion and Fallout3 did not impress me much at all.

Now comes Skyrim and Bethesda has done an amazing job improving things since Oblivion. Nearly everything is improved, from the story to the combat to the controls and performance. Its almost like they heard all my issues with Oblivion and fixed them for Skyrim, great effort Bethesda!

The soundtrack is epic as usual and of course the gameworld and lore is extremely well made. This all came as a very nice surprise to me though as I was not expecting all that much, but whats here is an epic rpg.

Skyrim joins The Witcher2 as the best rpgs of 2011, both extremely well made and awesome rpg's that I loved to death. Its great when companies can improve on past games as well as Bethesda has done here with Skyrim, which is the best game from the rpg giants since Morrowind!

Buy this game now!

Here is to Skyrim and the great job by Bethesda!
  31. Nov 27, 2011
    Anybody who gives this game more than 7.5 isn't looking at Skyrim objectively or they know nothing about RPG's in general.

Skyrim is a beautiful, full world. There are plenty of quests to do, people to meet, and dragons to kill. However, none of it is really innovative. Other than dragons Skyrim doesn't really add anything new to the Oblivion formula. Just about everything that made Oblivion good is there, and not much else.

The graphics are beautiful, the game-play is smooth for the most part, the dialogue and voice acting are top notch (even if voice actors are reused ad naseum). Sadly the game has a serious number of little flaws that, when added together, really make Skyrim and overall disappointment.

Starting with the interface. Definitely developed with consoles in mind. For PC users it's slow, clunky, and just plain bad. Even using my 360 controller with the PC version of the game it's just not right. This is probably why I don't own a console, this minimalistic design scheme is weak and uninspired.

The interface is most troubling because it gets in the way of the meat of of any RPG; combat. You'll often find find yourself accessing the inventory several times through combat to change spells, or drink potions, or switch from dual wield to weapon and shield. Even with the "favorites" button which can cut time navigating the menus it still becomes an annoyance breaking up the flow of a particular battle and ruining the overall experience.

Moving on to keyboard controls they are just plain screwed it up. Even after the patch I cannot make my own custom keyboard setup as the game fails to save any of the changes I make. And the default controls are a mess. They could have taken some hints from some of the modern day standards instead of screwing it up just to be different. Different isn't always better.

The level and skill advancement hasn't changed much from Oblivion, except now you can choose various perks from high skill levels that used to be automatically assigned as you progressed in Oblivion. The spells and skill selection hasn't changed much (if at all) which is also disappointing.

Combat is action oriented hack and slash where your skill with the keyboard (or controller) is more important than your character stats. As everything you face will be tailored to your level you will, for the most part, never find anything too hard or too easy if you approach the encounter right.. Honestly, I think my characters skill with a bow should be more important than my skill of aiming the bow for him. While it's a standard for action RPG's it lessens character development.

You will find tho that making a character to your play style will be pretty easy. The balance and difference between various play styles is well done and feel quite different for the most part, requiring different strategies for encounters. Mages, warriors, rogues, and rogue-mages, and warrior mages all feel independent of each other. This is perhaps the highlight of the game mechanics.

The biggest disappointment of this game is Bethesda's promise of certain things that they failed to achieve. One was the "alieness" you felt in Morrowind. They promised players would feel like a stranger in a strange land with Skyrim, much like the unique presentation of Morrowind which was lost with the generic setting of Oblivion. Skyrim has no such sense of being unique in any way. It's more or less like one would expect an RPG set in snowy mountain regions with nordic influence.

Skyrim is a fine game. It's fun to play and it's vast. There is lots to look at and do. But it's not perfect. It's certainly better than most other open world RPG's (Gothic 3 & 4, Risen) but then so are Morrowind and Oblivion to this day. Sadly, Skyrim fails to take what Morrowind and Oblivion games us to the next level. It just gives us more of the same but with a worse interface.
  32. Nov 28, 2011
    Huge and beautiful. Engaging and mesmerizing. The amount of content and replayability is off the charts. If you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect as far as game mechanics are concerned. UI is pretty much identical to the Fallout games. Inventory is a little clunky, but doesn't take long before you're on auto-pilot with it andHuge and beautiful. Engaging and mesmerizing. The amount of content and replayability is off the charts. If you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect as far as game mechanics are concerned. UI is pretty much identical to the Fallout games. Inventory is a little clunky, but doesn't take long before you're on auto-pilot with it and other game controls and just enjoying the game. As awesome and in-depth RPG as you will ever play IN YOUR LIFE. Just buy it and enjoy the game. I'd ignore the nay-sayers who seem more interesting in showing off their "zero" score and going out of their way to find and bemoan the slightest, insignificant defects while overlooking the gaming experience in its entirety. Expand
  33. Jan 20, 2012
    This is my second review of this game because it's worth it. For those of you out there who like to rush through games, then maybe you'll find Skyrim to be too short for your liking; however, this is NOT the reason Bethesda makes their Elder Scrolls games. Like Morrowind and Oblivion before it, Skyrim allows you to sit back and explore an amazing world full of side quests andThis is my second review of this game because it's worth it. For those of you out there who like to rush through games, then maybe you'll find Skyrim to be too short for your liking; however, this is NOT the reason Bethesda makes their Elder Scrolls games. Like Morrowind and Oblivion before it, Skyrim allows you to sit back and explore an amazing world full of side quests and adventures. It's simply a beautiful game in every aspect and is the best in the Elder Scrolls series to date. I have been a fan of since Morrowind and will continue to purchase Elder Scrolls titles as they are released. Sure there are glitches in the game which Bethesda will fix and the menu navigation could be better, but all in all a great gaming experience. I can't wait for upcoming expansions :) Expand
  34. Jan 24, 2012
    I won't waste a lot of time repeating what's been said. I love open end games that take a lifetime to fully explore. However, one thing I absolutely despise are the "run around" quests in games that are basically there just to keep the player in the game so they can make claims that it takes x amount of hours to complete. Skyrim if full of these. Gets old real fast.
  35. Feb 9, 2012
    After playing Skyrim and reading most reviews i found the scores were too high. Graphically its very good as is the control system. The storyline is very good with the element of choice having an effect on what happens next really makes the game play stand out. All great but its full of bugs like i have not seen in a while just looking at other sources for the game its apparent thatAfter playing Skyrim and reading most reviews i found the scores were too high. Graphically its very good as is the control system. The storyline is very good with the element of choice having an effect on what happens next really makes the game play stand out. All great but its full of bugs like i have not seen in a while just looking at other sources for the game its apparent that there are loads of them as well which is killing the game play. A good game that could have been the best ever but spoilt by bug issues which seem common but with no updates to sort out. Expand
  36. Mar 20, 2012
    I do not understand what is the meaning of huge open world in a single player game . If i want to walk long distances (without doing anything) in a game , there are many MMO around to do it . Graphics not so better then them ...
    Combat system 10 years old , may be more .One click to attack and one click to defend . Average story which you forget when walking around doing uninteresting side quests .
    Selling same elder scrolls with some polish and new name . They just know that name will sell this game . I believe old gamers like me never will give more then 0 points to this game . They are making games more and more simple (but make them look like very complex) . Playing 10-15 years old RPGs and adventure games are much better and interesting then these ....
  37. Aug 8, 2012
    I rate this game 10 out of 10, but something is wrong with Metacritic forcing me to rate this awesome game 9 out of 10. With Skyrim you can have the best gaming experience you have ever had. Skyrim It's outstandingly fun, and It haves a really good written story. This is how a RPG need to be. And the world of Skyrim is really huge, where you an explore the unknown.
  38. Oct 3, 2012
    It's... meh. That's the word I used when I put 20 hours in. Just... meh. This game is hilariously overrated. But is it a bad game? No. Is it a glitchy mess? Yes. Oh yes.

If you're going to buy this game, No doubt you'll make a beeline to steam workshop, where you get mods. That's one good thing about this game. The mods. Some mods, which are quests, are better than the main quest in

Some mods, which are quests, are better than the main quest in skyrim. I'm not joking here either. The game does NOT deserve the amount of praise it gets.
  39. Oct 20, 2013
    Overall, a disappointing technological step forward from Oblivion. Your first impression, the graphics, are an underwhelming improvement but the environment design feels good, more varied and interesting than previous games. Human faces look bad and idol animations (such as when speaking) dont look natural. The dialogue is often awkward and contrived. AI sucks. Arrow in face, oh nevermind,Overall, a disappointing technological step forward from Oblivion. Your first impression, the graphics, are an underwhelming improvement but the environment design feels good, more varied and interesting than previous games. Human faces look bad and idol animations (such as when speaking) dont look natural. The dialogue is often awkward and contrived. AI sucks. Arrow in face, oh nevermind, just hearing things.

Whilst the environment looks good, one of the largest downfalls of Skyrim is that, besides dragons (which are intersting and done quite well), theres nothing but dungeons which are repetitive and completely uninviting. The cities are completely BORING. Again, nothing in them. The guilds are only few in number and I could barely begin them before Im bored....Im baffled by it all. This was the nail in the coffin for me, cities are just bad.

Combat is improved but still fails in the same fundamental ways as previous games. Swing swing block, swing swing block. Bows feel more powerful. Magic is the same as it used to be. New shout mechanic is interesting but essentially just magic.

Story, um, I dont remember it lets put it that way. Characters? What are those?

I cant be bothered explaining any more, Im tired of complaining. I honestly feel bad trashing the only game Ive ever pre-ordered. Exploring the land and finding new shouts was the only fun I had.
  40. Sep 12, 2014
    Probably the most overrated game made within the last 5 years. I like the open world. I like how there's many different leveling paths for both crafting skills and combat skills split up into different trees so that doing just about anything counts towards leveling in some way, it's a unique and refreshing system.
    Sadly, everything else about this game sucks. The combat sucks. The dialogs
    Sadly, everything else about this game sucks. The combat sucks. The dialogs suck. The quests and many of the things you can do either suck or are not interesting. I think the fault to the story is that it's just not told very well, so it's very hard to get into it. Another problem, is that coming off of playing WoW for years, I feel like there should be more interaction within an open world like this, however it's nonexistent.
    The combat is also very bad, and I'll give an example from when I started playing:
    I just started the game and am wandering around after getting outside while my brother is watching. See a giant, decide I'm going to go kill it. My brother says, "No, it's way too high level, you'll get killed." Despite this claim, I kite the giant around shooting lighting at it, since I'm a magic user, after taking 20 or so minutes finally kill it. I say, "Not so threatening now huh?"
    The combat never gets more complicated than hit things with combat skill and they eventually die, it's very one-dimensional and makes the combat uninteresting.
    Unfortunately, because of all these things, I couldn't finish Skyrim because I became bored of it. On top of that it feels like it should be an MMO, however even compared to WoW it makes for a weak MMO because WoW has a really good combat system.
  41. Nov 12, 2011
    Great Game, few bugs here and there, issues with graphics and what not on the PC version, nothing too unexpected for launch. Beautiful world to explore, first time I saw the moon I just stopped and stared for a few minutes, a well designed "Perk" system that rewards you for the way you want to play, and a story that is actually engaging and central enough to keep you on task....wheneverGreat Game, few bugs here and there, issues with graphics and what not on the PC version, nothing too unexpected for launch. Beautiful world to explore, first time I saw the moon I just stopped and stared for a few minutes, a well designed "Perk" system that rewards you for the way you want to play, and a story that is actually engaging and central enough to keep you on task....whenever you stop eating butterfly wings :B Expand
  42. Nov 12, 2011
    It is the game where you can be whatever you like...What else is there to be said ? ....Somebody will complain about graphics,somebody about inventory but people that is the reason why there are mods !...Game is awesome and if you give it a chance it will become you game of a decade !
  43. Nov 12, 2011
    I really don't get why people would be disappointed by this game.

I played Morrowind and Oblivion and I was kinda disappointed by Oblivion being all buggy, having an annoying user interface, non-comfortable quest-log the fights still being as stiff as in Morrowind and character animations so wooden. But I still loved it, for aside from the annoyances it still was an awesome game. Now I
    I really don't get why people would be disappointed by this game.

Now I bought Skyrim.

My first impression after about 8 hours of play is: Bethesda seems to have really listened to many things players disliked about Oblivion. I'll point out a few of the improvements I noticed:

+ Combat is now made visually entertaining by cinematic use of the camera, which is a really HUGE factor to make the fights feel like real action. Also the finishing blow scenes are an amazing addition to feeling immersed as your character.

+ No more stupid minigame for influencing NPCs. (THANKS for that!)

+ A simple and easy to use quest-log with short descriptions of what's going on. Also you can show all of your quests as indicators ont he map if you want to, making it possible to set yourself a route in which to do a few quests in one journey.

+ Skill-system has been simplified by reducing the number of skills and at the same time got more interesting by adding talents/perks/whatever-you-want-to-call-it to each of the skills, which give actually gameplay changing benefits.

+ User interface and HUD design follow the "Form follows function" principle. I personally really love the simplicity of it. Especially for dialogues it really helps immersion that the corresponding interface is now a HUD that just appears in an appropriate position instead of a whole new screen with it's own interface like in the previous games.

+ The graphics are AMAZING on Ultra. I really don't get how people can say Oblivion or even Morrowind(!) looked better. Unless you're playing it on low or medium and then complain about the graphics not being top notch - really just /facepalm in that case.

+ Improved storytelling for sidequests and more depth-of-character for NPCs in general thanks to using a lot of mini-cutscenes when something important happens.

For the long-term I can't say too much but after killing my first dragon I'm really excited about how the main-story will develop. Also in my about 8 hours of play I didn't encounter a single bug. Seems quite strange with so many people claiming it's as bug-filled as Oblivion was on release. I had 2 crashes but they were quick and non-reproducable so I really don't mind them at all.

Also I really can't understand the people who claim questing and exploring gets boring in the long-term. If you feel like that for Skyrim (or have felt like that for Oblivion and/or Morrowind), then I dare to say it's probably a problem YOU have with open world games, not an issue of the game. All-in-all I feel that the immersion in this game is absolutely GREAT. I give a score of 9 simply because I would never ever give 10 overall (though the atmosphere/immersion would really deserve a 10 so far), because nothing's perfect :)
  44. Nov 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a game that truly makes us think over that the game industry is gradually progressing.
    Not a minus in this masterpiece, I have not found.
    Game of the Year!
  45. Nov 13, 2011
    Amazing game, Has surely surpassed previous Bethesda masterpieces such as Fallout or Oblivion. The storyline is AMAZING, the graphics is AMAZING, the game-play and whole leveling up and combat speciality system is AMAZING. Just playing the game on my pc with Maxed-out graphics is an honour alone.
    Besides the main storyline missions, which has at least 10hours playing on it at least, there's loads of side quests which are actually fun and interesting, which altogether makes up for the lack of a multi-player feature

Highly recommended, game of the year material here!
  46. Nov 13, 2011
    Skyrim
    Skyrim
    After 40 hours of gameplay I still love this game. I give it 9 out of 10 due to the menu system been console based. I have selected 10 out of 10 to try an balance unfairly bad ratings that I feel are unfounded. The graphics in this game are incredible. The leveling system is awesome leveling up what you actually do i.e my first character is a mage but often i run out of magic so I hit enemies with a one handed "Axe of fear" this increases One handed weapon skill while my mage cast in creasing conjuration, destruction and restoration (the only schools of what I cast). Getting of track to whats important. This is a fantastic game upgrade to large screens fast video cards and buy the game :)
  47. Nov 13, 2011
    I waited a very long time for this game to be released. I was floored when I first popped Oblivion in my system. With regret, I didn't feel those same emotions at the beginning of Skyrim. As I continue playing, I am enjoying my experience but there is something missing. Where is all the pomp that Oblivion had ? Theme music anyone? Nope. I did truly expect more from Skyrim then what I'mI waited a very long time for this game to be released. I was floored when I first popped Oblivion in my system. With regret, I didn't feel those same emotions at the beginning of Skyrim. As I continue playing, I am enjoying my experience but there is something missing. Where is all the pomp that Oblivion had ? Theme music anyone? Nope. I did truly expect more from Skyrim then what I'm getting, but since it's Elder Scrolls...ah well ..sigh Expand
  48. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay. So to me, this game is near enough perfect. The things that are getting the bad reviews are as follows; Bad textures, bugs, No feeling of epic, and the good old favourite, the menu system. Let's start with menus. I had absolutely no problem with the menu's. At all. Not once. What I do is, I read. And umm occasionally I click. It's amazing really. Honestly I don't get what the problem is, frankly they've done a great job in creating a system which works well on PC AND consoles, the only way I could see you having a problem with this is if you're sitting literally looking to hate it. So I've put a solid 42 hours into this game now, and literally the only bug I've encountered was my companion continuing to fight someone who stopped. But as soon as the character fell to their knees, she stopped and everything was nice again. I've had 2 crash to desktops, but frankly I'm running very slightly above minimum, so it's expected of any game of this standard. I get that there are and will be other bugs, but frankly a single bug every 13 hours or so does me just fine, that's a lot better than most games and a LOT better than any other Bathesda game. People saying the graphics are the same as oblivion or morrowind are just naunces, they really are. I don't remember the last time I read such **** I'm playing on low graphics settings and it's /beautiful/. I'll get to see what Ultra is like this weekend and I'm sure I'll be stunned. Super sharp textures wouldn't work well in a game like this anyway, there needs to be a certain level of blending so that everything sits together in the world, as opposed to having some standalone Mammoth who would just look like a cartoon. As for epicness, I can almost see where that's coming from, but when I sit back and think about it, it makes sense that you're not being rewarded for absolutely everything. So what? I helped General Tullius take Windhelm, if it weren't for him and Legate Rikke I'd have no idea what I was doing. He's the general, I'm just a soldier; why would I get all the fame? Maybe the game should play so that you DO deserve it, but people DO recognise you for it, it's just more realistic. The best killers in our world don't go about getting worshipped now, do they? I DO understand that however, that might be the one thing Oblivion done right. In any case this game is astonishing. It's honestly brilliant in every way imaginable. The detail Bathesda have went into is unbelievable, a real masterpiece. Don't listen to the whiny little **** giving this game 0's, they're talking pish. Get this game. Expand
  49. Nov 14, 2011
    As of this post, i have 51 hours of playtime in Skyrim. This game deserves every 10/10 review it can get.
    I haven't been this engrossed in a game ever, period. For those of you who are unsure due to the 0/10 reviews, allow me to point out the BS.

Common complaint number 1, the UI - Yes, the UI was based for a console game. But its honestly not that big of a problem so long as you (and let me stress this to the morons out there who didnt bother to even look at the options menu) TURN OFF 360 CONTROLLER in the options menu. this allows for the use of your mouse inside the interface and makes looking for things much easier.

Common complaint number 2, the graphics. Certain textures in the game are low-res and kind of crap. But you really only notice this when you plant your face into the nearest wall and stare at it. While you are moving around and doing other things they blend together and look great. With as much content as is in this game, the lack of high-end top of the line "Good god my eyes are bleeding from awesome" can be overlooked very, very easily. Common complaint number 3, The "Its not morrowind its oblivion" crap. And thats just what it is, crap. This game is far closer to Morrowind that it is to Oblivion, it just is. I loved (and still do) Morrowind for how it allowed you to do whatever you wanted without complaint and the sheer amount of things to do inside of its world, Oblivion made a step back from that, as well as turn the world into a fast-travel debacle with cut/paste environments and the like. Fast travel does make a return in Skyrim, but once more, its optional, and with the environments being worth seeing and far from copy/paste its worth forgoing the fast-travel. I could go on about this point, but seriously. Game is more like Morrowind. Deal with it.

Common complaint number 4, glitches, issues etc.. First off, this is a Bethesda game, if you expected a bug-free game... wtf are you on? They make huge worlds that makes it really hard to find alot of the bugs. So minor ones are found sometimes. Horses are however, a bit buggy in this game. Unless you get one of two horses in the game that are.. well, not average. Game crashes and the like do happen from time to time, but you really wont lose much. Worst case you start over in the room of the dungeon you were in. Big deal. You also need to have a machine that can handle pc-gaming to play a pc-game. Ive seen people posting low-end machine specs complaining about issues with Skyrim, bottom line. If you cant run it, dont complain like its Skyrims fault.

Common complaint number 5, Quests. This is where i start wondering exactly how many times some posters were dropped on their heads as a child. The quests in this game are amazing. Sure you have your minimal side-quests of fetching and kill this. But those are the "well, i need money.. may as well do a few quick quests" they arent the meat of the game by a long shot. Each of the larger quest chains could be a stand-alone game by itself. And there are a few of them, trust me. if you dont believe me check out the Dark Brotherhood, Mage College, and Thiefs Guild chains (Oh, and the Daedric Artifact quests when you find them) Then tell me quests in this game are crap. Some other random people just never bothered to read the booklet for the game, or open a single options menu with feeling the need to rage-face all over any review site they can.
  50. Nov 14, 2011
    Out of 10:
    Graphics: 8 - not the very best, at times I feel they could have done better, I have a high end PC and even though it looks nice I wanted a longer draw distance. Sometimes up on the top of the mountains the surrounding lower areas go grey.
    Out of 10:

Sound: 8 - music is superb. Overall sound is good. There are a few sound failures such as a dog just feet away from you sounding like its on the other side of a hill. Things like that take away from the overall experience which is still good. Some of the voice acting is fantastic, some others not.

gameplay: 8 Free roaming is great, the 1 v 1 is ok. Glad you can get a 3rd person perspective sometimes. I wish blocking were a bit faster on the reaction time. By the time you see a swing starting on your enemy it is usually to late to react. Swinging any weapon has little else to do other than clicking the mouse button over and over. Animations of certain special kills are nice.

Lasting appeal: 8.5 It is a single player game, but so far, I have been playing the hell out of it and I still have a ton more to do. Game feels like it will take a month to finish.
  51. Nov 14, 2011
    Absolutely astounding. Definitely the best game I have ever played. The atmosphere is perfect. The scenery is beautiful. I almost can't believe what Bethesda has pulled off here. Everything just seems right, it's a perfect blend of traditional medieval style and fantasy elements. The combat is much more varied than Oblivion's, and far more fun to take part in with the shouts, dual wieldingAbsolutely astounding. Definitely the best game I have ever played. The atmosphere is perfect. The scenery is beautiful. I almost can't believe what Bethesda has pulled off here. Everything just seems right, it's a perfect blend of traditional medieval style and fantasy elements. The combat is much more varied than Oblivion's, and far more fun to take part in with the shouts, dual wielding and improved handling of weapon skills. The work stations in the game are a great addition ,adding a sense of accomplishment; for example when you craft yourself the weapon of your choosing. Dungeons no longer feel exactly the same anymore, and I often stumble upon little but entertaining side quests in them while searching for new words for my shouts. Though there are bugs, it's far better in terms of just working than recent Bethesda games. Though challenging, battling dragons is extremely enjoyable and I have many times hoped that I would be found by a dragon while traveling to spice things up a bit. I couldn't be more impressed with this game. It's a 10 for sure. Definitely deserves Game of the Year, too. Expand
  52. Nov 14, 2011
    This game redefines what games can be. Morrowind and Oblivion tried to do this, but they failed in execution. The numerous shortcomings and wonkiness that plagued Morrowind and Oblivion have been revamped, and this game is a polished and amazing beacon of hope for the gaming industry in general. This is the closest I've come to playing a perfect video game. It is an open-ended fantasyThis game redefines what games can be. Morrowind and Oblivion tried to do this, but they failed in execution. The numerous shortcomings and wonkiness that plagued Morrowind and Oblivion have been revamped, and this game is a polished and amazing beacon of hope for the gaming industry in general. This is the closest I've come to playing a perfect video game. It is an open-ended fantasy world RPG Action Adventure game and simulator. I love this game. Expand
  53. Nov 14, 2011
    Personally I think that Skyrim is the best game ever made. Nothing else has created even a fraction of the depth and texture in the game world. I'm forty hours into it now and still not really feeling like I've so much as scratched the surface. It's just so damn good and so damn deep and there's so much of it, it's just mind blowing to play. I've never played anything like it. It is aPersonally I think that Skyrim is the best game ever made. Nothing else has created even a fraction of the depth and texture in the game world. I'm forty hours into it now and still not really feeling like I've so much as scratched the surface. It's just so damn good and so damn deep and there's so much of it, it's just mind blowing to play. I've never played anything like it. It is a staggering work of art, a masterpiece, a feat of game design that is utterly unmatched, in my opinion.

One day somebody will make a game better than this. But at this moment, I don't think anybody has.
  54. Nov 15, 2011
    While there are bugs with the game and there are problems with the combat system, Bethesda has made significant improvements to leveling and other areas that were lacking in Oblivion. It's important that they keep improving these games but the sheer scale of this thing alone is incredible. They've greatly improved the dungeons over Oblivion and added a lot of side quests which will keepWhile there are bugs with the game and there are problems with the combat system, Bethesda has made significant improvements to leveling and other areas that were lacking in Oblivion. It's important that they keep improving these games but the sheer scale of this thing alone is incredible. They've greatly improved the dungeons over Oblivion and added a lot of side quests which will keep you busy. Despite playing for hours, I've only seen one bug and it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the ones in Oblivion. The game has stunning graphics, even on my low-end computer. The best thing about the Bethesda games is that you can just wander if you want or blaze through a quest line in a few hours. That's their strength but also their weakness. Some people hate that style of game play. That's okay but they can't complain when they get a game that does that. I don't like the fact that the combat seems to have become more like Fallout's in that there are slow-motion portions when your character finishes off the enemy in some cases. That said, this game is still fantastic. Expand
  55. Nov 15, 2011
    The PC version of Skyrim is no doubt on of the most beautiful and sprawling worlds ever imagined. The game is so open in class development and how the player can interact with the world. However there are many problems with the user interface that prevent this game from true greatness. This game, is perfect for any RPG fans as it has been in the past.
  56. Nov 15, 2011
    i dub thee 8 out of 10. why because it has so much greatness with no eyefinity/surround support. and glitches galore. but it sure is a darn fun game

come on Bethesda works. even Oblivion worked well with triple monitor. on a side note. how much better would it of been if you added directX11 tessellation. them rocks and dragons would look INSANE!
  57. Nov 16, 2011
    The game is amazing! The world is massive like it should be there are tons and tons of things to do and explore. The people giving bad ratings are the ones that simply can't play because they are to dumb and don't know how a game works or their system is simply to outdated to run it properly. I've been playing this game for about 48 hours now and it looks and feels amazing. No complains onThe game is amazing! The world is massive like it should be there are tons and tons of things to do and explore. The people giving bad ratings are the ones that simply can't play because they are to dumb and don't know how a game works or their system is simply to outdated to run it properly. I've been playing this game for about 48 hours now and it looks and feels amazing. No complains on my side, neither did i find massive bugs some claim to have seen. (I've explored almost everything already). If you like RPG games this is a must play for you. Expand
  58. Nov 16, 2011
    Ok, that is what should be called a "game". Oblivion was a good game, Skyrim is the best RPG i ever played since a long, long time. The only thing i don't totally like are the graphics on PC, they should have done better... but i don't care a lot about graphic, i care about the gameplay. And here the gameplay is absolutely epic.
  59. Nov 16, 2011
    Skyrim is a very fun game. However, this doesnt mean that it is great. speaking from the perspective of someone who has never played more than an hour of any of TES games the world seems very open and your choices are just as open. See an area? go to it. The world (from a distance) seems very detailed and beautiful. However, the game fails to impress when you get close to anything. itSkyrim is a very fun game. However, this doesnt mean that it is great. speaking from the perspective of someone who has never played more than an hour of any of TES games the world seems very open and your choices are just as open. See an area? go to it. The world (from a distance) seems very detailed and beautiful. However, the game fails to impress when you get close to anything. it feels like a game developed for consoles and ported lazily over to PC. The textures for a game this size, however, are more detailed than you might expect, even if they arent HD. The UI is a disaster, following the trend of recent games for the PC where a UI is developed for a controller and ported over to use a mouse. When will developers realize that i can handle large menus easily without need to separate everything into smaller sub menus? The favorite tool is lacking. The idea is there, and the fact that you stop time when you do it is nice, but it is simply a list you choose from (and can add quick keys to, but the game doesnt show you these keys unless you're looking at the favorites list). The game also doesnt remember items you have in there if they are depleted or removed from your inventory, meaning if you use up your potions, you have to re-favorite them to find more. Also, the perk system is absolutely horrible. Sure, it looks nice; you click on a star and you get sort of a nice visual representation, but it isnt practical at all. It takes a long time to cycle through your perks and it's not always clear where you'll go if you click somewhere, on top of that, you cant just hover your mouse over a star and see what it is, you need to actually click on the skill, then progress (slowly by the way) your way through the stars to get to that perk. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired. Now the main event: the combat. So far, i havent dabbled into much aside from sneaky bows and daggers, but i can see the potential for endless mix-matching of styles, which is a huge plus. But, compared to better combat games like Dark Messiah or the trap laying bomb throwing Witcher 2, the combat falls flat sometimes. Often, the easiest way to deal with a tough opponent is to engage it a little bit, run away and heal, and then engage it some more and the whole experience takes too long and isnt intense enough. Give me more hazards like Dark messiah (i saw some hazards early on but they dissappeared), give me preparation like Witcher 2. All in all, the game is very large, very open, and has great potential, which is why i give it an 8 despite these complaints. This game will last any player for hours and hours, which is huge considering a more recently release boasts 5 hours for $60 Expand
  60. Nov 16, 2011
    I purchased Skyrim on launch day, and once I started up the game, there were no load times, no advertisements, no logos besides Bethesda's but a clean interface going straight to the menu screen and new game. Starting and playing the game itself is like living in a fantasy world. The music, sounds, graphics and everything make you feel totally immersed. This game is improved from OblivionI purchased Skyrim on launch day, and once I started up the game, there were no load times, no advertisements, no logos besides Bethesda's but a clean interface going straight to the menu screen and new game. Starting and playing the game itself is like living in a fantasy world. The music, sounds, graphics and everything make you feel totally immersed. This game is improved from Oblivion in every way because there are no game breaking bugs, crashes, graphic, or performance issues, and the ones that they do have are very minor and can be patched. I have played about 35 hours so far and I can say that this game is a masterpiece. I have only been to one city so far and have been doing quests only in that city. I have not even gone through half of the quests yet as I have a long list of things to do, and each quest doesn't feel generic like other RPGs' fetch quests and kill quests. There are 8 more holds in the game, so I know I can expect much more than the 300 hours Bethesda advertised. Overall, I can't even begin to describe what this game offers and how much you can do in it while having so much fun. Expand
  61. Nov 17, 2011
    It might have some initially bugs, as any other game, and I agree that it does not bring that much new to the franchise as it maybe should have - it could have used a prolonged beta and half a year more development. I especially dislike that it is clearly imported from xbox along with the bugs that comes with that.
    But then again, I loved Oblivion, and I certainly love Skyrim, as it is one
    But then again, I loved Oblivion, and I certainly love Skyrim, as it is one of the best games I have ever tried (without focusing on the bugs and glitches). Your possibility to make your own decisions of what is going to happen with your character in this wast open world is brilliant, as is its gameplay where they have corrected most of the bad from Oblivion and it is one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen (a long with Mass Effect 2), why I cannot give it less than 10.
    I still hope they make a major patch where they fix the greater bugs and the imported part on the PC-version..
  62. Nov 18, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant. I love Skyrim and I think this game is a master piece. I see some negative reviews, but generally I think they are from fans of a different genre/style of video games. Skyrim requires patience and a brain. This isn't Call of Duty here. PC was patched on Day 1, and I love that Bethesda is supporting PC. The scenes and natural world are amazing. The fights andAbsolutely brilliant. I love Skyrim and I think this game is a master piece. I see some negative reviews, but generally I think they are from fans of a different genre/style of video games. Skyrim requires patience and a brain. This isn't Call of Duty here. PC was patched on Day 1, and I love that Bethesda is supporting PC. The scenes and natural world are amazing. The fights and quests are really fun and I see that the devs put tons of time into every little aspect of the game. Skyrim represents a giant leap forwards in terms of video games, it will easily take GOTY imo. Expand
  63. Nov 18, 2011
    I only have a 100 % to give to this game. Its the best elder scroll and the best game I played in years. The interface is extensible, the envrionnement is well made ( the world is small, but very well made), they improoved the AI etc... Worth every cents out of your pocket.
  64. Nov 21, 2011
    i havent played a game this long since GTA IV came out? Beautiful, thats all i can say about Skyrim, is that its so beautiful... ..............................................................................................................................................................
  65. Nov 21, 2011
    Skyrim is far from perfect, at the point of writing. It has several bugs and glitches, but the key thing is, I don't care. This is still the best game I have ever played and the detail and depth of the world amazes me. This is the best way I have ever used £30 in my life.
  66. Nov 21, 2011
    Skyrim is simply awesome and here is why.. I have to say that when I first saw the screenshots for this game I thought to myself "It doesn't look that flash, just another Morrowind". I then watched a video review of it over at gamespot. After seeing the video I simply had to have it!! The graphics are not pixel perfect but the world does look amazing. The UI is catered for console butSkyrim is simply awesome and here is why.. I have to say that when I first saw the screenshots for this game I thought to myself "It doesn't look that flash, just another Morrowind". I then watched a video review of it over at gamespot. After seeing the video I simply had to have it!! The graphics are not pixel perfect but the world does look amazing. The UI is catered for console but who cares, there is already a mod out there that makes it more PC friendly but I don't have any trouble with it myself. I've been playing it for over 20 hours and am loving every minute. Two things stand out in this game for me, the first being the Dragons. Best I have seen in any game. They are loud, fierce and are stunning to look at. Not only this but you will come across more than one! The second thing is the abillity to do anything you want in the game. I purchased a horse for 1000g only to lose it in a fight with a Giant. No matter though I found another horse standing next to the road so I just stole it :) I couldn't believe how easy it was to take. Only problem is that whenever you dismount the horse it keeps wanting to return to the spot you took it. You don't have to be a thief to be able to lock pick. There is so much to find and do in this game it will keep you entertained for hours :) The game has yet to crash on me. Of course there are some glitches in the game but they are not game breakers. The shadow glitch which happens in daylight (shadows flicker every 30sec or so) I managed to fix with changing the ini file. I found a fix for this searching in google. I thought my video card was on the blink, phew! Overall I was expecting a lot less from this game and was surprisingly impressed with it. Now I am having trouble keeping away from it :) If you love Dragons you simply must have this game. If you are on the fence check out the video review and also youtube for first impressions of the game. I'm sold on it! Simply amazing!! Expand
  67. Nov 23, 2011
    'I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece.'
    ^this :) is exactly how i feel about the game. now a few more characters :D
  68. Nov 23, 2011
    I hardly play any RPGs. I played and loved Witcher 2, as well as Mass Effect 2. Never played previou Scrolls games. Yet, this game is amazing. I truly enjoy the combat, though it has its flaws. I love the fact that you can say screw the main quest and take off on your own. The side quests are better than the main quests in 90% of the games out there. Great music. Decent graphicsI hardly play any RPGs. I played and loved Witcher 2, as well as Mass Effect 2. Never played previou Scrolls games. Yet, this game is amazing. I truly enjoy the combat, though it has its flaws. I love the fact that you can say screw the main quest and take off on your own. The side quests are better than the main quests in 90% of the games out there. Great music. Decent graphics (poor compared to Witcher 2,) but the art design in this game causes moderate graphics to look unique and beautiful. Without any fanboyism, truly one of the best games ever made. ALSO, dude...this game is endless, and it is always interesting. How many games today are geared towards single player, and are worth playing? Hardly any these days. Skyrim is one of the few games I can say is truly worth the money. Expand
  69. Nov 24, 2011
    Either my eye sight is gone or people are talking out their ass when they say the graphics are bad. It's quite good for a game, certain people just have THE PERFECT GAME in their head and will down vote anything that does not match it. Yea the game isn't perfect, no game ever will be. Pros; Great open world, good graphics, good voice overs, good mod support. Overall it's a hugeEither my eye sight is gone or people are talking out their ass when they say the graphics are bad. It's quite good for a game, certain people just have THE PERFECT GAME in their head and will down vote anything that does not match it. Yea the game isn't perfect, no game ever will be. Pros; Great open world, good graphics, good voice overs, good mod support. Overall it's a huge improvement from previous elder scroll games. Cons; Dragons are too easy, Smithing/Enchanting are too powerful later on, ocassioal crash bugs, interface was designed for consoles and they had to actually patch in mouse support for PCs. Level Scaling; While it's true that enemies and items scale based off your level, it is not to the extent that it happened in Oblivion. Your stats scale faster than theirs and they do get progressively easier, even to the point of being able to instantly kill nearly anything. It's not like before where you were punished for leveling. Again, it's far from perfect and was obviously designed as a console port, but it still manages to pull passed that and comes into it's own as a great RPG. Expand
  70. Nov 25, 2011
    Skyrim gives you everything the old Elder Scrolls game lacked. The old Elder Scrolls, (3 and 4, specifically,) were amazing, by the way. The combat system is intense and fun, something you don't get tired of doing after hours of game play. The leveling is rewarding with perks and new items and monsters, (I, for one, do NOT want to find banded Iron armor at level 28, thank you.) The nonSkyrim gives you everything the old Elder Scrolls game lacked. The old Elder Scrolls, (3 and 4, specifically,) were amazing, by the way. The combat system is intense and fun, something you don't get tired of doing after hours of game play. The leveling is rewarding with perks and new items and monsters, (I, for one, do NOT want to find banded Iron armor at level 28, thank you.) The non player characters and the landscape around you is immersing and visually stunning, keeping you in their world instead of the real one. Bethesda truly produced a higher standard for the RPG genre, and with the addition of mods and expansion DLC I will be seeing myself playing this game for years to come.

NOTE:
    Do not complain about the graphics if you are playing it on a console. A good pc will beat the crap out of console graphics any day. This game is NOT a console port, it was meant for the PC, with better graphics and adjustable controls. If you think this is a port, you have obviously not even bothered changing the controls, something very easily done in the menus. Bugs area problem, but they do NOT break the game for you, so please do stop complaining. The minor glitches will be fixed with a patch in a few days but the game is tons of fun regardless. (I actually enjoy exploiting glitches and bugs when I find them, they made Oblivion very interesting for me.)

There was a lot of work put into this game, and it really shows. Good job, and thank you, Bethesda.
  71. Nov 25, 2011
    Been waiting for this game to come out for 3 years now. Ant i must say i got much much more than i expected. All thou this game requires good hardware to run on its true beauty i recommend this game to every one who loves previous Elder scrolls titles.
  72. Nov 25, 2011
    I literally cannot remember the last time I played a game and was so embroiled in a fictional world. Let me begin by stating that this game is not perfect (melee combat still feels a tad floaty and some glitches exist) but I don't believe any game is flawless. TES V, though, comes close enough to warrant a perfect score. First, one must realize the sheer amount of improvement over theI literally cannot remember the last time I played a game and was so embroiled in a fictional world. Let me begin by stating that this game is not perfect (melee combat still feels a tad floaty and some glitches exist) but I don't believe any game is flawless. TES V, though, comes close enough to warrant a perfect score. First, one must realize the sheer amount of improvement over the previous installment. Graphically, this edition is clearly superior. Magic is far more entertaining and viable, dual wielding is an excellent addition, and the level design has been improved drastically. Quest lines range from moderately enjoyable to downright fantastic, and voice overs and animations have been worked on and improved. Perhaps most importantly, though, is the realization that this game offers a truly living, breathing world to explore and conquer. Throw in some dragons, loot, and a few houses to buy, and you have yourself a game that stands above the competition. Nothing is perfect. But this game shines in ways I haven't seen for a long, long time. Expand
  73. Jun 17, 2013
    A beautiful bugfest.
    Artistically stunning. Old, mediocre engine. Full of unfixed bugs. Too much things done so poorly and superficially without the deserved attention.
    Played more than 600 hours (Steam says so...) and half of the time spent fixing bugs and problems with CK and other unofficial tools. What a pity for a potential masterpiece. Please Bethesda, with our money set up a
    A beautiful bugfest.
    What a pity for a potential masterpiece.
    Please Bethesda, with our money set up a serious beta-testing department before releasing any other TES, and also a serious QC.
  74. Dec 20, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game, but by no means the game it could have been.
    The graphics are improved, the music is fantastic, and the nordic atmosphere is captured quite well.
    The problems however make the game less fun on the long run, compared to the older installments. Attributes have been removed completely, the magic system has been gutted, to a mere handful of effects left, the spellmaker
    Skyrim is a good game, but by no means the game it could have been.

Attributes have been removed completely, the magic system has been gutted, to a mere handful of effects left, the spellmaker is gone, there are very few good quests, most of them are kill&Collect quests, the guild quest series are mostly very short and unimaginative, and the main story, while better as in Oblivion is also average at best.
    But there are a number of improvements too. The graphics have been updated, you can cook and smith now, buy multiple houses, and marry someone. The perk system which is introduced works quite well, but can in no way compensate for the loss of attributes, spellmaker and magic effects.
    There is more wildlife now, and the cities are denser populated, making the world more "alive". The dungeons are handmade now, and have a shortcut at the end, so one does not have to run through the entire dungeon to get to the exit. Unfortunately the variety of the enemies is extremely limited. There are bandits, trolls, Rogue magic users/vampires and Draugrs(Most of the time), that's it, that's all you will ever encounter in dungeons. All in all a good game, which lacks the complexity and replay-value of its predecessors, and gets boring more quickly. While i played more than 500h in Oblivion(with the extraordinary OOO-Mod), Skyrim gets tedious after less than half of that time.

Despite that, i see a concerning development on the horizon. The dumbing down of games has reached TES. No spellmaker, no attributes, less skills, gutted magic system, imaginative quest replaced by boring grind quests. If this continues, Skyrim is the last TES-installment i will buy. I played all of the TES games, and never was this trend so obvious as in Skyrim.
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    Just another good action-rpg.
    The balance but no perfect, the dialogues are sometimes repetitive/incoherent/retarded.
    But overall its still a good game with a huge potential of playability thanks to the mod community (nexus).
  76. Dec 21, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played. I played it 3 times so far and spent there almost 200 hours. I´m looking forward to play some mods as well. It´s not perfect game but certainly best game of the year.
  77. Dec 22, 2011
    Very good game, everything has been said. Its immersive has outstanding graphics and a very good story. If you like sandbox game than this game definatly is a must buy.
  78. Dec 23, 2011
    Game of this year for me. All my childhood dreams how a game should look like were fulfilled here. Unless you are a strong personality with decent social life, you should not play this. There is a fair risk, you will love this world more then normal one:).
  79. Dec 30, 2011
    (sigh)... A total letdown of a game that had the great Morrowind and Oblivion as predecessors.

Skyrim SHOULD HAVE been much more than Oblivion. Instead, it's much more less. People expect more from a modern game, something to significantly improve the quality of time spent into virtual realities over older games: good visuals, deep story, logical overall interactions etc. Unfortunately,

Skyrim SHOULD HAVE been much more than Oblivion. Instead, it's much more less.

Unfortunately, Skyrim doesn't provide those, here's why:

.................

1. Graphics/Visuals

This is one of the very few areas where Skyrim shines a bit. There are nice landscapes and the wide open world is cute enough to invite for roaming. Yes, many games could do with such freedom of exploration.

But again nothing extraordinary. No high jump from Oblivion.

Some textures are not where they should be, in other areas contrasts are broken and bleak.

Some pixels are just trembling for no reason and human faces are hardly distinguishable.

I simply do not understand how playing as a native nord makes my skin suntanned. The logic of it...
    ...................

2. Gameplay/Mechanics

No voiced (optional) main char, no animations in dialogue... (ever considered at least comparing to Mass Effect?...)

Controls are good, combat is satisfactory. But the idea of stamina bar is just annoying.

What happened to acrobatics, athletics and other skills?

THE WORST PART is the leveling system. For the life of me, I chose to play warrior and rely on weapons but couldn't get weapons to 100. Instead, I could max speech and enchant quite fast. Playing as mage? Same thing. Bah...

This leveling system, based by skills is bad, bad, bad. Beside the non-logic of being all-in one: warrior, thief, mage etc., it's time consuming and tedious.

I wanna level and use my blade well, but in order to get tougher I must find mobs to cut, and where if there are no fast respawning mobs?? But I can train in speech and smithing faster, instead. So much for the "freedom of playing style"...

.............................

3. Story/Choices

Bad. The only "moral choices" with actual impact you are allowed to make are supporting the rebellion or the empire.

I supported rebellion and guess what? The previously shy and anonymous now fresh established Whiterun Jarl (who, without my efforts would have ever remained a runt) tells me something as "You are not as dumb as you look". You're welcome, your "grace"...

The rebellion titles Ulfric and his generals throw upon you are senseless and plain stupid. "Snowhammer" my ars... and when the rebellion succeeds, what about somebody granting me a Jarl title or at least a fort as a fief? No way, instead I have a pretty long, boring and useless "thane" agenda...

Ok, let's become an Archmage then. The college of mages probably being the only sensible and more realistic implemented faction.

After a no-dialogue, no dispute of ideas, lifeless final battle with Ancano, I am granted the high honor. But...
    Just when I thought I am somebody now at least, a mere court wizardling in a dull city speaks with me like I'm his boots keeper. Same in other courts. I can even recall some replies hinted to my narrow comprehension of magic arts... To me, the Archmage!!! ......................... 4. AI (artificial intelligence) Oh, my... Nothing more to be said here, except when dragons keep attacking the cities (they keep attacking forever, so kiss goodbye the fact you can be a real hero and vanquish them for good), some peasants dare provoke them in direct honorable combat with... bare hands!!! Such inspired logic deserves the bow of the day.... ......................... The game deserves a 6 only because it is better than many other present games and for its pretty open world. But once you played the story, its doubtful you'll ever replay it, considering other better games start growing on the horizon...
  80. Jan 5, 2012
    Skyrim is truly awe inspiring. Firstly, I'd like to disregard all those trolls and fools, who bash the game down to grades bellow 5, because they obviously have no taste for RPGs or any ability to comprehend how vastly superior Skyrim is. I'll admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion and Morrowind came when I was still a little young for it, but Skyrim is a dream come true forSkyrim is truly awe inspiring. Firstly, I'd like to disregard all those trolls and fools, who bash the game down to grades bellow 5, because they obviously have no taste for RPGs or any ability to comprehend how vastly superior Skyrim is. I'll admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion and Morrowind came when I was still a little young for it, but Skyrim is a dream come true for anyone, who enjoys huge open fantasy worlds with a living, breathing society in it and dragons. Well, sure, there are some minor bugs, but in a game of this scale? It would have to be a miracle if there were none. So sometimes you'll ride your horse up a rocky mountain with some glitchy animations, sometimes some finishing move won't be nearly as glorious and neat as it should be, but who cares? Who could mind silly little things like this when there's a beautiful-beyond-tell world opening for them, where no dungeons look the same, where every step your horse takes through the vale of a night is an adventure on its own. Quests are rich, intriguing and entertaining, albeit the civil war wasn't as amazing as I had hoped. I've spent quite some time with the game already, up to the level 45 so far and I still love it, I still sometimes just stand still on a cliff at night, looking up to the starry sky with northern lights and gasp. One of the most immersive and probably the best RPG ever. Expand
  81. Jan 10, 2012
    People who say this game isn't full of choices and awesome character customization and a fantastic story line with in depth quests dont know the first thing about videogames. This game rules, anyone who doesn't think so is an idiot. No I'm not being ignorant
  82. Jan 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been a fan of TES series since DaggerFall. (I havent played Arena.) I loved Dagger Fall for its complex open world and advanced game mechanics. Of course it had its faults but they were undermined by the huge myriad of features the game had. Morrowind cut the features down a little bit but the incredibly detailed and interesting world it gave you to explore, the complex story line and still relatively complex character mecahnics more than made up for that. Oblivion dumbed down the character mechanics even further and even its pretty graphics couldnt hide the very generic game world provided. WHich leads us on to Skyrim. Well its both better and worse than Oblivion in many ways. The game world is visually stunning, very diverse in encounters and quickly becomes tedious. After several hours of walking through the varied locations you soon realise that although one place looks different from the other, they all act and behave the same. The character mechanics have been dumbed down to a horrible degree. Attributes are as good as gone with only three remaining. Instead they have given us the Fallout 3 style perks. You get to go up one attribute and one perk per level. This makes it VERY hard to care about leveling or the character you are creating. The quests are generally the same, go here, kill this, get that, come back. After 7 - 8 of these you will start to discover boredom at its best. The quest storylines are also far too "Awsome".[spoiler] For example, the mage questline has you saving the world as an apprentice and then suddenly rising to Archmage [/spoiler] I would say that after not too long, you will have saved the world at least a dozen times. Skyrim, on the surface is a great game, well worthy of the praise it has received. But as soon as you explore the game a little further, it quickly shows the lack of depth or longevity this game has to offer. All in all, I would say this game is on par with Oblivion which is not a good thing. I would personally buy this game at a low price or wait for one of its competitors to see if they are able to offer a better experience. Expand
  83. May 11, 2012
    I have been playing this game since I received it as a present at Christmas. I do not play daily but when I do sit down to play, I play for a few hours at a time. This game remains challenging and engaging even after 4 months. I find myself doing side quests and exploring because I really don't want the game to end. I played Oblivion as well and enjoy this game even more. I am hopingI have been playing this game since I received it as a present at Christmas. I do not play daily but when I do sit down to play, I play for a few hours at a time. This game remains challenging and engaging even after 4 months. I find myself doing side quests and exploring because I really don't want the game to end. I played Oblivion as well and enjoy this game even more. I am hoping the soon to be released expansion is just as good as the original and that the next game is not far from release. I even like the music in the game so much so I went and bought the soundtrack. if you have not purchased the game, do so NOW! Expand
  84. May 22, 2012
    It's easy to see why the boys at EA decided to hold back the release of ME3 so as to not have to compete with this game; it's everything good about the previous Elder Scrolls emphasized, with just a touch of what they learned from doing the Fallout franchise. if you liked either games by Bethesda, you'll like this. The sad part is, it doesn't really bring much NEW to the series if you'veIt's easy to see why the boys at EA decided to hold back the release of ME3 so as to not have to compete with this game; it's everything good about the previous Elder Scrolls emphasized, with just a touch of what they learned from doing the Fallout franchise. if you liked either games by Bethesda, you'll like this. The sad part is, it doesn't really bring much NEW to the series if you've played them before... but still has just enough freshness that while you may not jump up and down with joy, you'll get satisfaction. You don't fix what isn't broke, after all (or bugs, when you're Bethesda, and the game has ALL the usual bugs in that regard- if you've been a fan of the series you know what they are and you expect them anyway). As usual, it also comes with a MASSIVE modding community, made so easy and simple by Steam integration that anyone can do it; so if there's something more you want, you have a lot to fall back on. It'd be a ten, but the game is NOT without its problems (as said, the usual Bethesda bugs, the fact that it CAN feel rehashed and old at times, and can definitely have a 'grinding' feel to it). The difficulty is alright- especially for someone new to the series, though not so much for one used to the old quirks- and it excels on a technical level. Outstanding graphics, beautiful music (the soundtrack is the best in a long time), smooth gameplay and an easy to understand while still fairly vast system of upgrades. Not a perfect game, but one of the best to come out in a long time and thus far better then anything other companies have put out this year (2012) or even the last. Expand
  85. Jul 7, 2012
    This game could have been the greatest game ever, but it simply is a hollow shell at this point. It has very shallow characters and quests. It is horribly repetitive and gets very boring after 60 hours. The combat is lacking, loot is horrible and voice acting still consists of ~8 people. It also gets very easy.

Finally, this game has no charm; it does not wow players or makes them feel

Finally, this game has no charm; it does not wow players or makes them feel immersed. This game is a single player MMO, nothing more, nothing less.
  86. Mar 2, 2013
    I had given this game a 5 previously, but upon revisiting it with a fresh perspective, I've really come to love it. The perk system is deceptively deep, the world design is magnificent and constantly demands that you push on and explore further, and the even the quests my biggest beef previously can be highly entertaining, and so I'm glad I spent that 60 dollars after all. Good job, Bethesda.
  87. Nov 13, 2012
    This game is definitely overrated. There's not enough content in this, all the quests or zones are a bit repetitive. They used same textures over and over. No wonder the game size is like 6gb. The storyline is too damn linear and it's not that great. But the worst problem I have with this game is dual hand spellcasting, it's quite stupid in my opinion. This is definitely the worst TheThis game is definitely overrated. There's not enough content in this, all the quests or zones are a bit repetitive. They used same textures over and over. No wonder the game size is like 6gb. The storyline is too damn linear and it's not that great. But the worst problem I have with this game is dual hand spellcasting, it's quite stupid in my opinion. This is definitely the worst The Elder Scrolls game so far. If this game is on sales, then it's worth a buy. Expand
  88. Dec 11, 2012
    Skyrim, I tried to like it so many times, I probably installed it and deinstalled it over 10 times because the game gets boring really quickly. All the game can offer is Skyrim itself, the world is beautiful and with some mods you can make it look almost real. If you played the other Elder Scrolls you know that this game isn't a big improvement, maybe in some parts it got even worse thanSkyrim, I tried to like it so many times, I probably installed it and deinstalled it over 10 times because the game gets boring really quickly. All the game can offer is Skyrim itself, the world is beautiful and with some mods you can make it look almost real. If you played the other Elder Scrolls you know that this game isn't a big improvement, maybe in some parts it got even worse than it was. Combat disappointed me the most, it's dull without any variety. If you're melee you're gonna spam attack over and over again, you just spam the mouse click until the enemy is dead. You don't feel any real impact of the weapons, you can't cut off limbs and cripple enemies (why is it possible in Fallout but not in Skyrim ?). The weapons don't feel like they're heavy, you just lose more stamina if you miss a hit and that's it. With Magic it's the same and more boring than as a melee. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a perfect example how combat should be done and feel. Enemies are also quiet repetitive, I'm tired of killing draugrs and falmers over and over again, there is not a wide array of enemies in Skyrim, the dragons are rather annoying than challenging, as a melee you're gonna hate them because all you will do is wait until they finally land so you can attack them, most of the time you're gonna be dead before you can even attack (if you play on master). Another thing that disappointed me was there was no feeling that a war is going on, but all people will tell you about the war between imperials and the stormcloacks. In Oblivion you actually got the feeling that daedra are invading the world and there's a war going on. I think with one more year of development, there could have been much more done and really bringing all the potential out of the game. The Dawnguard DLC story is probably the only thing that I really enjoyed so far. If you want action and a good story don't buy it, Skyrim is a big fantasy world simulator based on nordic lore. Expand
  89. Mar 6, 2013
    Bethesda has officially sold out. In the days of Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls used to be an imaginative open-world RPG for people who wanted to think and discover things for themselves. Nowadays, Bethesda makes shallow action games in hopes of catching the short attention span of the console-gaming casual players. Skyrim is enjoyable the first time you experienceBethesda has officially sold out. In the days of Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls used to be an imaginative open-world RPG for people who wanted to think and discover things for themselves. Nowadays, Bethesda makes shallow action games in hopes of catching the short attention span of the console-gaming casual players. Skyrim is enjoyable the first time you experience anything; The first time you pass that group of people, the first time you do a quest, the first time you climb up the Throat of the World, the first time you talk to a guard, etc. Then you quickly find out that there is no depth to anything. I guess it's not bad if you're looking to only do the main quest. However, if you're looking to explore the open world and spend 100+ hours in the game, you'll probably be disappointed at the shallow RPG experience. TES is dead. Expand
  90. Mar 12, 2014
    Simplemente, aburrido. Buenos gráficos, un gran mundo para explorar y mucha libertad. No está mal, supongo... para el que prefiera eso a una buena historia, personajes carismáticos y algo de personalidad.

Pd: si buscas un RPG, mira en otra parte. Aquí no tenemos de eso.
  91. Aug 24, 2014
    Playing this game is a challenge, and not in the good sort of way. The challenge comes from trying to deal with all the bugs. Not small annoying bugs, but at times showstoppers that require you to use the console to continue game play.
  92. Nov 12, 2011
    An amazing new installment in the Elder Scrolls series. The beginning of your adventure could be daunting, with an incredibly open world and a sub-par journal system. But when you start understanding how the game works, it is an awesome world you can explore as much or little as you'd like. If you've ever enjoyed open world fantasy games, this is definitely a game to really consider. Is itAn amazing new installment in the Elder Scrolls series. The beginning of your adventure could be daunting, with an incredibly open world and a sub-par journal system. But when you start understanding how the game works, it is an awesome world you can explore as much or little as you'd like. If you've ever enjoyed open world fantasy games, this is definitely a game to really consider. Is it worth $60+? That's up to you. But I'd say it'd be money well spent. Expand
  93. Nov 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am truly astonished by the number of negative user review for this game. Worse yet, the majority of these negative reviews are written by people who claim to have played no more than 5 hours of a game that has been designed to last around 300 hours if if the player opts to complete every quest and dungeon in the game. That's a lot of content these reviewers are missing out on. I have also seen many complaints regarding the PC controls for the game. I actually can't speak of how the keyboard and mouse feel as I have been using my wired xbox controller the entire time I have been playing, and I have to say that the game handles very well with the controller and does seem to be tailored for the use of controllers (much like the Witcher 2). Still, it seems foolish to rate a masterpiece like Skyrim so low for something so trivial, as others still have done for the "terrible" graphics in the game. The game is gorgeous. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or wasn't playing the game on its highest settings. Certainly the game isn't quite as glorious to behold as say Battlefield 3, but it is far beyond the deary, ugly landscapes and denizens of Fallout 3's Wasteland. Plus, the game world is massive. While the surface world of the game is comparable to Oblivion, there are numerous dungeons: each with their own unique look and personal history for the player to discover. While the hundreds of locations to find and explore suits me and my play style, no doubt others will be more interested in the main story and Guild quests. Simply put, they are amazingly fun. There are no more tedious tasks like getting recommendations from every Mage's Guild, instead you are dropped right into the Guild's quests; all of which have interesting stories and valuable rewards (such as the ability to transform into a werewolf). I still haven't touched on the much improved combat yet, so I'll dive into that now. The ability to dual wield everything from axes to spells has tremendously improved the game play. Using nothing but magic is a truly viable option, whereas in Oblivion you often had to rely on melee weapons for close combat, now you can have a magical shield up while simultaneously shooting fireballs. Companions are also a much greater help in the combat arena than they were in the past, owing to the ability to give them enhanced weapons and armor as well as the option to tell them to attack particular targets. Still, the game is not without its blemishes, notably I am disappointed by the lack of attributes in the game (Strength, Endurance, Speed, etc.). While the perks when leveling up do give you a great deal of control in regard to how you would like to play the game, I can't help but feel combining all of the attributes into the categories of Health, Magicka, and Stamina oversimplified the leveling system too much. Still, all in all the game is absolutely amazing, and there is no way I could fully explain everything it does right in this review, so I will simply end it here with a hearty recommendation that anyone reading this review go out and buy this game. Expand
  94. Nov 13, 2011
    Amazing with a splash of disappointment. I've re-written this a few times and I'm just going to say the things that are annoying me - the disappointments. Although this is much to love. The graphics are MASSIVELY outdated. I brought Metro 2033 for $5 recently and it's graphics where better. I know graphics aren't what a game is all about but when I started the game (on ULTRA) I thoughtAmazing with a splash of disappointment. I've re-written this a few times and I'm just going to say the things that are annoying me - the disappointments. Although this is much to love. The graphics are MASSIVELY outdated. I brought Metro 2033 for $5 recently and it's graphics where better. I know graphics aren't what a game is all about but when I started the game (on ULTRA) I thought I'ld accidently set it on Medium or low. lol I swear I rechecked the video setting 5 times to make sure it wasn't a mistake. I'm gonna say it - it's the outdated console's (xbox and ps3) that are to blame. The console's manufacturers are milking their current box's for all there worth and the effect it has on PC games is developers working with making new gen games based on crappy crappy outdated hardware. As we all know the money is where the console noobs are at. So we will continue to get S word lol graphics until a new console gen emerges. From the youtube video's I was so excited to look at an artifact (sword, shield or food) and look at it in amazing detail but Nooooo. To support much of what i've been saying have a look at RAGE - similar situation. The detail level is horribly low and this was another disaapointment. Then there is the console port - ok it's a OK console port but there are obvious things like the GUI settings for the console pads LT and RT - WTF how could you overlook taking this out of the PC release.
    OK im off the whole consoles are to blame section
    Combat: Having so much fun with stealth and Archery - good job here. Melee combat has been slightly improved but still have a while to go to be interesting. Haven't touched magic - not playing that character yet.
    More voice actors and this has improved but still needs improvement. Characters are still rather stiff.
    Love how NPC's are more aware of your actions and comment as such. I was having fun using my shouts in town and a guard came along and told me to shut up lol. I love the random encounters.
    So why am I giving the game an 8/10 with all this complaining. Despite the short coming's and a few area's the game is still as immersive as ever and im enjoying it. The graphics were full DX11 and not DX9 overlook the rest of the issues. This is a open world game and realistic graphics really does help you be in this world.
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    I live RPG's. This makes me blind to the problems that most of them have. Games like the Gothic series(before the Arcania abomination), Morrowind and Oblivion. Risen etc... They all had problems. I still loved them. I think games are like works of art. Some are unique and others are just plain commercial. If you give people what they want then you are making a commercial game. When II live RPG's. This makes me blind to the problems that most of them have. Games like the Gothic series(before the Arcania abomination), Morrowind and Oblivion. Risen etc... They all had problems. I still loved them. I think games are like works of art. Some are unique and others are just plain commercial. If you give people what they want then you are making a commercial game. When I bought this game the salesperson asked me if I was aware of the system requirements as all good salespersons should do. Then right after he said that perhaps it was a stupid question as people that bought this game knows what it is about. Perhaps this says more about the game than anyone can. This game is an unique piece of art. So was most of the other RPG's I have mentioned. I don't compare this to any of the other RPG's. If did that then I would not have bought this. I bought this because I yearned for a new story. For a new adventure. Judging by how satisfied Morrowind and Oblivion left me feeling I knew that Bethesda would not disappoint. Trying to keep the masses happy with this game was a tough job that I think Bethesda did well. Not only do they have grand impossible and bloody combat against creatures much larger than the character but a lot of smaller more cerebral things to do. Creating a living world within the confines of a PC/Console that performs well and "lives" seems impossible given the limited resources available on all the platforms. It is a fresh outlook on Tamriel that seems very different to the other Elder Scrolls games. Six hours I can not account for when I fired it up and I am thinking of restarting because it seems to me that I made a mistake on one of my choices. The world to me now seems "wrong" and I must fix it. LOL Giving it a high score is only right. We did not get a perfect game. We did not get a well tested game. I don't think most Artists are happy with their final product anyway. That still does not make their masterpieces any less enjoyable. Most of the bugs in this game will probably be fixed. The nice thing about the PC version is that the community of players usually step up and try to get it close to perfection. The more Mods a game has the more I think people loved it. The only reason why I don't give a 10 is because I agree that perhaps there is no real sense of accomplishment in completing some of the faction story lines. That could also be that I have yet to explore everything in the game and have just not found out everything about the factions. Expand
  96. Nov 14, 2011
    After feeling some disappointment with Oblivion, the previous installment in the Elder Scrolls series, I'm glad to see Skyrim return to what made Morrowind so memorable. While Oblivion had the open-ended gameplay that forms the core of TES, it lacked that magic of exploring an exotic setting, with its been-there-done-that high fantasy medieval setting. In Oblivion, you also could not helpAfter feeling some disappointment with Oblivion, the previous installment in the Elder Scrolls series, I'm glad to see Skyrim return to what made Morrowind so memorable. While Oblivion had the open-ended gameplay that forms the core of TES, it lacked that magic of exploring an exotic setting, with its been-there-done-that high fantasy medieval setting. In Oblivion, you also could not help but feel like you were playing second fiddle to the true star of the game, Martin Septim, to whom you served as an errand boy and supporting actor. Thankfully, Skyrim returns to the days where you take on the role of someone preordained by destiny to play a critical role in the fate of the world, and this is reflected by the unique abilities bestowed upon you during the course of the story.

Not all is well however, as the clunky controls simply cannot be ignored and prevent Skyrim from getting a 9.5-10.0 score in my book. The oversized text and menu navigation / organization point to a clearly consolized UI that was ported to the PC with no changes, and with no thought to usability. Mouse navigation is imprecise and laggy, and doing something as simple as checking your inventory or viewing perk trees is made unnecessarily cumbersome and sluggish.

While in almost all other respects, Skyrim is a step forward in the TES franchise, the UI is a sore point and is effectively a regression from Morrowind's UI, which was vastly more usable. Other than the incredibly obtuse journal system in Morrowind, there was very little else that needed to be changed. One can only hope that Bethsoft takes heed of the complaints and does not continue the slide toward unnecessary consolation of things that should not be consolized in a PC version of a game.
  97. Nov 14, 2011
    Alright so I've actually never gotten into an Elder Scrolls game before, I'm going to date myself and say I actually bought Daggerfall. :p, and I also bought Morrowind...but I never actually _played_ either for more than a couple of hours, because of one reason:

First person, I like fps', but for some reason I hate it with a sword/shield, just feels bleh, I was reading over the review for Skyrim and someone mentioned it had 3rd person view, so I thought "why not?"

Glad I did, I had none of the hype built up, just going off of my previous experience with ES games, and I'm really liking it so far.

I'm going to do a quick comparison with another game I absolutely loved this year, The Witcher 2.

Graphics-

Witcher 2 - I actually run max settings on both games minus ubersampling on tw2, which is ridiculous, but even then the Witcher 2 looks a bit better. Better textures and whatnot, more vibrant feeling world. Skyrim - Hey, 2nd isn't bad, this still looks awesome on max, to be honest the gear etc looks a bit drab...but then again it's probably more realistic. Also the world view (i.e. when you're running across the world and can see for 10 miles in every direction) is awesome, I really feel like I'm in a "world" vs a few zones like I did with the witcher.

Voice Acting -
    Skyrim - it's not bad, honestly I felt like they did things like interruptions better in Skyrim than in tw2.
    Witcher - more flavor, yet not as seamless

Story -
    I guess it depends on what you like, Skyrim feels _way_ more open, vs the Witcher felt somewhat open but mostly linear.

Combat-
    Tw2 has skyrim beat imo, Skyrim has a better selection of skills/trees, but TW2 combat feels a little more skill based, why isn't there any sort of dodge mechanic in Skyrim?

Out of the gates - I've heard people complaining about performance issues with Skyrim, but man it's nothing compared to TW2 at launch. I was getting 20fps in TW2, and it took about 10 different tweaks before I could run it at max fps (with the same graphic settings), I shouldn't have to do all that myself!

All in all this is a solid game, coming from someone with really no previous bias/expectation. I had huge expectations for TW2, and the game fell a little short, but even then I'd say they're about as good. TW2 has better graphics, better combat, and better voice acting. Skyrim makes you feel like you're in the world much better, is more open, and does everything decently. I'm glad I picked this up, this was a very nice surprise.
  98. Nov 16, 2011
    It's an amazing game that keeps you there playing it from beginning to end. Immersive, story, wonderful atmoshphere, plenty of quests (not boring) to undertake. It's a breathtaking game. It has its flaws, but they are greatly overcome by the features and awesomeness of the game itself. I hope bethesda learn to make their games a bit more polished and less buggier on launch though :)

1. Feb 29, 2012