8.2

1. Jun 25, 2017
    A significant step back for the series from Oblivion, but still fun enough for a couple playthrough. The graphics are good and the new combat is fantastic, but the removal of RPG elements and skills removes a lot of the fun from character building. Also after a while, the game tends to feel like you're doing the same exact dungeon over again.
  2. May 21, 2017
    If you are an unassuming, slightly casual gamer, then you way want to pass on this title. Its a beautifully rendered environment with good music and atmospheric landscapes. Plenty of things to explore and too many options for developing your character. The positive aspects of this game are really overshadowed by its greatest flaw: the gameplay is just slow and clunky. I wanted to loveIf you are an unassuming, slightly casual gamer, then you way want to pass on this title. Its a beautifully rendered environment with good music and atmospheric landscapes. Plenty of things to explore and too many options for developing your character. The positive aspects of this game are really overshadowed by its greatest flaw: the gameplay is just slow and clunky. I wanted to love this game like everyone else. After 50 hours though, between picking some wildflowers and slowly hacking a wolf to death and looting its pelt, I realized how pitifully boring this was. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2017
    I am not a big elder scrools fan. the only two elder scrools tittles I liked was Morrowind and oblivion. Skyrim in my opinion is average at best. It has a lot of good things but also a lot of bad stuff mixed in to. the combat has always and still is pretty bad, So stiff and feels so slugish but I have to say skyrim has a way better combat then the previous tittles. The grafics are alrightI am not a big elder scrools fan. the only two elder scrools tittles I liked was Morrowind and oblivion. Skyrim in my opinion is average at best. It has a lot of good things but also a lot of bad stuff mixed in to. the combat has always and still is pretty bad, So stiff and feels so slugish but I have to say skyrim has a way better combat then the previous tittles. The grafics are alright actually, enviroments looks really nice but caracters models looks outdated. Some fun quest`s but most of them are pretty boring and tedious honestly. Soundtrack is pretty good. As said maybe you shoulden`t take my word for it since i only liked two of the elder scrools games. If you are a die hard fan of elder scrools, you will love this game, even casual fans will like it but for new comers, I don`t think it will convince. Expand
  4. Apr 17, 2017
    Skyrim is a game in which I've wasted tons of hours into. The quests and the story itself are rather poor and uncreative (compared to the fantastic, crazy and well thought-out quests of Oblivion or Morrowind),

Skyrim focuses mostly on exploration, and is the strongest point of the game. Discovering new ruins and caves and such is satisfying, as most of these places have an interesting reward upon clearing them, most notably Words of Power, which can be later turned into Shouts with dragon souls.

Shouts are an interesting gimmick of this game, they are basically an extra spell that you can use from time to time, only that the effects can be potentially devastating: summon storms, summon a dragon to aid you, breathe fire and frost, disarm everyone in a radius, push everyone in a radius, and more.

The sound track is pretty amazing, again Jeremy Soule does an incredible job at conveing the themes of Skyrim.

The combat is bland to be honest, it's all about spamming left click until inflated health bars die out, The greatest addition is dual wielding weapons, or combing weapons with spells which give an extra layer of depth into the combat. It is serviceable and it's miles better than Oblivion or Morrowind, which i guess is ok.

Like I said before, quests are boring and uncreative, and present you with no choice. You have no impact on the world. You can finish the main story and guards will still tell you that they received an arrow to the knee and taunt you and such. The factions are boring and unbelievable. Again you can be the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, of the Collage of Winterhold, of the Thieves Guild, and of the Companions. The travesty continues where you can become an Archmage without developing your magic skills at all, which sounds incredibly dumb. What's with Bethesda's fetish of you becoming the leader anyway? The Civil War questline is a carbon copy for both sides and it boils down to capturing settlements and engaging in some large scale battles. Nothing else, no espionage missions, you can't loose the civil war either (god forbid people fail at stuff these days), no trying to perhaps find a peaceful solution to the civil war. Nothing. I however appreciate the fact that both sides are not representations of good or evil, each side has reasons to why the player can be compelled to side with, or not, which is pretty much the only case where you'll find such a decision to make.

The Skill system is a joke as it doesn't promote variety at all. What it promotes is homogenisation. Let me explain briefly. In Skyrim, you can max out all your skills at some point. How is this fun or interesting? Because there is no level cap, you are basicially unlimited and thus your choices on where to spend perk points are watered down. The only meaningful choices are where to start pending points first.

Eh, but I am criticizing this game too much. To be honest, it does perfectly what it sets to achieve, and that is to create a compelling sandbox world where you can go anywhere and explore at your own leisure. It's a sort of playground for modders and such. In fact, Skyrim excels with mods, as they greatly expand the potential of this game and is able of fixing many of it's shortcomings.

It's a good game, but not the RPG I expected from previous titles.
    For TES VI, I can only hope Bethesda learns from this and FO4 and give more love to the roleplaying side of the game.
  5. Apr 8, 2017
    Дальнейшая деградация великой серии - все недостатки Обливиона никуда не делись - банальный сюжет, дальнейшее упрощение и вырезание - тех же магических школ, к ним добавились новые - если в Обливион были шикарные побочные квесты и квесты линеек гильдии и очень неплохая на момент выхода графика - то здесь из побочных квестов и вспомнить нечего, а графон (все тот-же движок от Морровинда -Дальнейшая деградация великой серии - все недостатки Обливиона никуда не делись - банальный сюжет, дальнейшее упрощение и вырезание - тех же магических школ, к ним добавились новые - если в Обливион были шикарные побочные квесты и квесты линеек гильдии и очень неплохая на момент выхода графика - то здесь из побочных квестов и вспомнить нечего, а графон (все тот-же движок от Морровинда - допиленный) выглядит просто убого для 2011 года. Expand
  6. Mar 1, 2017
    Унылый слэшер, в котором от РПГ нету ничего. После этой игры вера в Бефезду пропала окончательно. Но все же скайрим лучше, чем отвратительная гриндилка под названием фоллаут 4
  7. Feb 5, 2017
    This game is boring and drab, with a few exceptions every single quest can be described in one sentence. (Example, raiders stole my food, I'll pay you to kill them.) Every single quest is an excuse to make you go through a process that goes like this, explore, kill things, loot, return to get bounty. Rinse and Repeat. Gameplay is awesome but story and the RPG is non-existent. Which is whatThis game is boring and drab, with a few exceptions every single quest can be described in one sentence. (Example, raiders stole my food, I'll pay you to kill them.) Every single quest is an excuse to make you go through a process that goes like this, explore, kill things, loot, return to get bounty. Rinse and Repeat. Gameplay is awesome but story and the RPG is non-existent. Which is what I expect from an Elder Scrolls title. Expand
  8. Jan 12, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The critics have seriously overrated this game. There is not way Skyrim is a perfect 10. And I will explain why:

Pros:
    -Great graphics with a beautiful landscape and nicely decorated and nicely designed dungeons and ancient cities
    -Great mechanic for crime; One hold's bounty won't affect how another hold treats you
    -Great Blocking mechanics, shield bashing is pretty much life in Skyrim's combat
    -Good selection of creatures and enemies
    -Great replay value
    -Great skill system
    Cons: (Watch out kiddos, this is gonna sting if it's your first TES game)
    -Overpowered shouting mechanic, where literally the first shout makes you a god in combat
    -Shouting cooldowns are on a wicked cooldown considering you are supposed to be kin to a dragon
    -The Armor cap pretty much makes heavy armor obsolete unless you just like the looks of being a plated warrior. Leather should NEVER be as protective as DAEDRIC armor
    -Dual Wielding has no point. You don't attack fast enough or deal enough damage to really make up for the damage you take without being able to block.
    -The combat mechanics are broken. When you are on legendary difficulty the worst part isn't fighting, it's watching your stamina because once you get dry on stamina, you are defenseless. And you will be shield bashing or using your weapon to bunt them a LOT. Which eats stamina FAST.
    -Accidents just cannot be forgiven either. Too many times have I accidentally shouted or swung my weapon and an idiot guard or peasant walked right in front of me at the last second only to catch my warhammer or my longsword to the back of their head and they want to call me responsible for it.
    -Dragons almost never land on ground without Dragonrend-- There IS a method of using frost spells, but if you aren't a mage, you won't be able to use this at all.
    -The main story is ridiculously short. I think it's only like 12 missions or something like that. I finish it in about 3-4 hours if I focused on nothing else.
    -The world isn't even that big either. If you want a large map to play on, try TES's Arena. You will spend literal days on that in exploring ALONE. You can run/sprint from Riften all the way to Solitude in about an hour. (Not including if combat comes around, that might take another 30min)
    -Literal no challenge. No repair fee, No exploring really necessary...
    -The wars between the Stormcloaks and Imperials was really short. You only had 2 major city takeovers and what was worse is that you couldn't actually see the cities crumble. You would think catapults would just lay waste to the city, but all you see is the damage scripted to happen. and it just got weak. You will quickly find yourself asking isn't there more to the wars than 2 city takeovers and a handful of fortress takeovers?

Overall Skyrim just doesn't come to par with Bethesda's other works. This is a dumbed down, kiddo version of what could've been a good game. But you would think that a game where you were considered a dragon, you would be able to shout as much as the dragons do, and not like a living draugr would be a fun experience, but I just get bored with it eventually.
  9. KFA
    Jan 7, 2017
    This game is not all it's hyped up to be.
    The quests quickly get repetitive and left no lasting impact on me.

There is loads of content, but the world is just too gray and gloomy for me to care about exploring.
  10. Dec 2, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Скайрим ежжи. Игрушка дьявола ежжи.! Сюжет ну так себе, да ну 6 с половиной из 10, Геймплей ежжи ну 7 из 10, саундрет или саундтрек называйте как хотите, ну 8 из 10 поставлю. Драться вообще не очень приятно, отвра НУ ВОТ ЧЕ СРЕДИ НИХ? Игру слишком переоценивают Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2016
    Since Skyrim´s coming back via the remastered version, I wanted to share my experience with the original here. I don´t get the overwhelmingly hype around that game. It´s ok, it´s playable. It had its moments. But that´s it for me. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion and the Fallout Games and I´m aware of Bethesda´s way of life, that´s for sure. Skyrim managed to impress me at first. ManySince Skyrim´s coming back via the remastered version, I wanted to share my experience with the original here. I don´t get the overwhelmingly hype around that game. It´s ok, it´s playable. It had its moments. But that´s it for me. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion and the Fallout Games and I´m aware of Bethesda´s way of life, that´s for sure. Skyrim managed to impress me at first. Many improvements compared to its predecessors. There were many good things about Skyrim - but as many bad things as well. I liked the story and the graphics design, well and lovely designed. I liked the quest system. But the overall graphics? White, white and more white (and pale brown), kinda monotonous, lifeless and depressing world/colors. There were some major bugs which prevented me from progressing the main quest (some door couldn´t be opened, and a vampire bit could only be undone by starting a completely new game/char) The controls/menu were poorly ported to PCs and it took time for a good menu-mod to be available. Just like the Fallout 4 PC controls - they simply suck. One of Bethesda`s big issues... graphical improvements mods required a high end rig. I´ve sat through the game once, it was entertaining enough not to stop before. I never intended to play it again. Expand
  12. Aug 22, 2016
    There is a lot to do in the game but it all feels a bit lifeless. Also was unstable on my computer. Too many ghosts and zombies. Useless narrative. Drab environmental design.
  13. Jun 4, 2016
    hninhidndnihsiudhidiyndyunidnidhinduihidhhudhuddyhydhhdhydhdydhyhdhydhdyhddhyudyuhduyhdhdyuhdyhdyhdyihdhydyudhduydyhdyiyhdhdyudydhyudhdiduyhdiyhdyhudhdyudhiydhiydhyid
  14. May 29, 2016
    Overated game fixed by mods. If you look without mods it will be like this:

1. Poor story 2. Bethesda has history with hiring worst voice actors in history of gaming. Why is that I really dont know but Skyrim is no exception. 3. Side quests mainly kill this and that. 4. No cinematic in the game at all. (Bethesda learn form CD projekt red) 5. Dialogues are joke. 6. No interaction
    Overated game fixed by mods. If you look without mods it will be like this:

1. Poor story
    3. Side quests mainly kill this and that.
    4. No cinematic in the game at all. (Bethesda learn form CD projekt red)
    5. Dialogues are joke.
    6. No interaction with characters
    7. Very poor combat system.
    8. Not very good balanced.

Will be 6.5 or 7/10 but Ill give 5 to lower fan base hype.

Once again Bethesda learn from CD projekt red and witcher games.
  15. Apr 10, 2016
    For an Oblivion's successor I would wish:

- Fighting art included, where proper striking/blocking combination is as important as character stats. - Sorcerer's battles with massive lightning effects, spanning over whole screen, casting complicated spells with some key combination found in an ancient book hidden in the last corner of an abandoned elf mine. Freedom of dressing where
    For an Oblivion's successor I would wish:

Freedom of dressing where player's own ideas in plate armour combinations or different armour layers can contribute to his advantage over opponents.

Characters react to situations and are not all scripted. Not much is needed, but when right after dragon attack an old lady casually asks, if I fancy a chatter, is the mood ruined.

Unfortunately it stayed where Oblivion ended. At least we got:

Real sized dragons (yes they did it!!)
    Wonderful graphic ovehaul
  16. Jan 31, 2016
    How to play Skyrim: Accept a quest, fast travel to an area, do one of three things (kill someone, talk to someone, get an item), return to the quest-giver, and get a leveled item and another quest. Repeat.

A nice followup to Oblivion. Fun, but nothing innovative or special.
  17. Dec 18, 2015
    A good game but buggy and stupid. There's absolutely no need to use your brain in this game, Some said that even the bugs are funny but when they spoil my game I just say: What a piece of garbage.
  18. Oct 23, 2015
    Lo he intentado jugar demasiadas veces como para decir que no me engancha lo más mínimo. No sé porque... Sé que para la gente que le guste este estilo de juego es bestial, pero a mi no me llega y es algo que en realidad me duele, porque sé que no me está llegando un juego que seguramente sea una obra maestra.
  19. Aug 25, 2015
    Yeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expectYeah maybe the game is huge but what else...not much. Boring, really. One can play through a game like Oblivion only so many times. Skyrim is very similar, only the story is even worse. As a gamer I expect the devs to treat me with respect that dictates them trying a bit harder than just adjusting and changing 10% of the recent game and release it as new title. I expect new story, I expect to be immersed, I expect great, interesting quests and characters. Nothing besides the music is above average in Skyrim plus I had to deal with the horrid console interface. What a joke.
    You can mod this game to hell and back and then it gains some color but vanilla Skyrim is a pale experience. Rating it based on mods would be giving credit to Bethesda instead where it is really due - the mod community. I feel that Skyrim brought me mediocre entertainment and in that term it is no better than Risen 2, yet it presents slighly higher production values, for example music and larger world.

Story
    I hoped it would be something different, a lot better than Oblivion but I was dissapointed. The same jailed cutscene I can understand, that is TES franchise trademark so to say. But everything other besides that featured in the game. The Dovakhiin hero role playing is a lot worse than any TES earlier games. I literally had to force myself to sit through this and I consider the time lost forever.

Graphics/Gameplay
    Dated on premiere day. Same console bull_____. Bad user interface ensures a pc player has trouble with smooth, fast action gameplay. The inventory is all over the place. Really a pain.
    Gaining skills and abilities has been changed for far far worse than in TES : Oblivion. It makes developing the character a chore and a needless, uninteresting grindfest. Few quests are good, hundreds do not deserve to take any self-respecting gamers` time.
    Actor models are horrific, bland robots. They did nothing to even help me submerge in the game`s world. They act in an incredibly scripted way, they are pathetic in showing any emotions at all, even the actor conversations are terrible.
    Maps/locations are huge and pretty, I give it that. But I haven`t come into anything remotely different than with any other rpg title. The same caves, same jail buildings, same castles, same tunnels I went through countless times before. The only thing that caught my attention are the open grounds like say waterfalls and some awesome sightseeing spots in the mountains.
    In the above locations are the same enemy types, all uncreative. I never came to meet an enemy I wouldn`t be able to characterise (strenght/health/magic etc.) at the plain first sight. Same ole spiders/zombies/thieves/monks/trolls/lions etc. What a waste of development time.

Music
    Beautiful music, easily the strongest feature of Skyrim. Goes well with all character scenes. I caught myself exploring only due to the orchestra of different quite epic tunes.
  20. Aug 8, 2015
    Boring...............!!! All amazing, gfx, scenaries, effects... but.. after 8 hours.. all become terribly boring!!! Side missions are ridicolous, main mission is uninteresting.. 6, maximum!!
  21. Jul 8, 2015
    I expected a 10, to be fair: Skyrim didn't live up to it's hype.

Cities are too small, characters are dull and have the same voice actor, story has only 1 ending, combat is the biggest pile of poo I've ever seen, etc, etc.

Even though that, I like the horses, they can't run 12 mile per hour but can walk in 90 degree mountains,
    just...

Nice job bethesda.
  22. Jul 1, 2015
    Nice game.Beautiful graphics,awesome ambientation,and an enormous world filled with consistent side quests.But difficulty is casual,the combat is boring (just approach enemies and click on them,no tactic,no strategy.Unless you are a mage),and the plot is absolutely ridiculous.But overall it's fun and very extensive.If you don't mind the casual combat and poor story,it can please you forNice game.Beautiful graphics,awesome ambientation,and an enormous world filled with consistent side quests.But difficulty is casual,the combat is boring (just approach enemies and click on them,no tactic,no strategy.Unless you are a mage),and the plot is absolutely ridiculous.But overall it's fun and very extensive.If you don't mind the casual combat and poor story,it can please you for literally hundreds of hours.But it was not my case. Expand
  23. Jun 10, 2015
    Skyrim is an excellent game made by Bethesda and truly rekindles the fire of RPG's.

Story: The story of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is short yet solid. It is the tale of a hero(you) who goes from being a traveller mistaken for being with the rebellion, the Stormcloaks to being considered Skyrim's hero and saviour from the World Devourer, Alduin. The difficulty of the storyline varies greatly depending on which difficulty you play it on. On "Easy" it proves no challenge, as you can easily sweep through the whole storyline in one sitting.
    To spending months to grind enough for each quest while on "Legendary" difficulty.

Combat: The combat of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is only one of three main combat categories, which quite small as you can only build your character in so many ways. Mages are the glass cannons in Skyrim, dishing out large amounts of damage using magic in exchange for their health. Assassin are the easiest (in my opinion) to sweep the game with, as when you level enough you will essentially be invisible permanently on all difficulties, while dealing instant kills from sneak attacks. So OP yet so fun. Finally the warrior, just as OP as the assassin, The warrior kills his enemies with swords, axes and broadswords. But drops off in the late game (lvl. 61 onwards)

DLC: This is what lowers my mark significantly, as most of the content in the DLC is much better than in the actual game. When M.H.C's (abbreviation for Money Hoarding Corporations) are on the loose it is sometimes upto the companies who stick true to fair pricing roots to keep them. Bethesda went down the dark route. THREE DLC'S ARE AVAILABLE, EACH 20$ EACH. THAT IS JUST GREED FROM BETHESDA. Please Bethesda, stop now.

Overall feelings: Even though Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim is unbalanced, laggy and downright greedy from Bethesda, it is still one of the best RPG's out there, winning many GOTY prizes. I guarantee you that if you get this game you will enjoy it.
  24. Jun 1, 2015
    Unfortunately it's poorly done, with an ancient engine and FULL of over 2000 bugs. It could have been potentially a masterpiece. No, no mods can fix some broken engine mechanics and bugs.
  25. May 25, 2015
    The game has weak plot, it lacks interesting characters and although the design is inspired by nordic mythology it's still very generic and cliche - all those elements are essential for a really good rpg game and skyrim does them wrong. Also the game is quite buggy and dumbed down compared to it's predecessors. Despite those flaws It's fun to roam this world, music and visuals are good andThe game has weak plot, it lacks interesting characters and although the design is inspired by nordic mythology it's still very generic and cliche - all those elements are essential for a really good rpg game and skyrim does them wrong. Also the game is quite buggy and dumbed down compared to it's predecessors. Despite those flaws It's fun to roam this world, music and visuals are good and it managed to entertain me for about 30-40 hours.

Overall it's a good game that by it doesn't deserve the praise it gets. It can probably be great but only if you smoke pot:)
  26. May 19, 2015
    it's only epic game that all, nothing special, but you want to see because everybody speak about this game. if you have time and nothing to do this game is for you
  27. May 10, 2015
    Overall Rate: 7/10

A great, open-world, practically endless RPG with many familiar fantasy elements and Elder Scrolls Lore. Although there are many good points about this game and I would definitely recommend it, there are quite a few flaws that take away from the overall experience and the game just feels like it could have been so much more. Story: rate 6/10. A pretty generic,
    Overall Rate: 7/10

Story: rate 6/10. A pretty generic, "player is the only one who can save us", "epic" story. The player can excel in everything he/she tries, even if they have no experience in that area (for example: getting into the College of Winterhold simply by casting a low-level spell and having never used magic before). I won't go into details, so not to reveal spoliers for those that haven't played, but a lot of the courses of action you take seem to have little effect on the world around you. Not to mention, the main questlines are very short and take around maybe 4-6 hours to complete in full, which is very disappointing, especially when you look at previous Elder Scrolls games when questlines could take around 10 or even 20+ hours. Most of the quests are "fetch quests" with small rewards and these never run out. They are fun at first, but after a while, they can get tedious and boring. There's no exploration or a sense of being "lost", as a map marker directly points to a quest objective's exact location. This feature can be turned off in the quest menu, but in a way, the marker is required because there are no instructions given regarding where you need to go for a quest.

Characters: rate 6/10. There are lots of characters in this game, but only a handful of them are worth mentioning or rememberable. The same backstories get told over and over again, and nothing else. For example, a lot of the dialouge I've heard goes like this, "I'm a fisherman / farmer / laborer of some kind and my family's been here for x generations (and I have nothing else to say)" sort of thing. It gets quite old. Even so, there are still a handfull of characters who are interesting and have more depth to their story than what meets the eye.

Graphics / Interface: rate 7/10. For the most part, the graphics and interface are aggreeable. The menu was made for consoles, so it can be difficult to work with at first and it doesn't always cooperate. The graphics could be better, but they don't take away from the experience, and the landscape can look quite beautiful in the big picture. The map is not helpful for navigation, as it is supposed to be a "real representation in 3D" map (not sure what's so great about that. It doesn't even fit the theme of the game!).

Glitches: This game, at first, had many glitches. Most of them have been fixed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks / crashes at random, people get stuck in the floors, quests gone missing, etc. This was one of the biggest problems at release and it shows that the overall production of the game was running short on time.

The good lies in the gameplay and mechanics. Although the combat is still "click the mouse untill the enemy dies", it can still be fun. I personally think stealth, dual-wielding, and smashing things with two-handed weapons (not necessarily combined) offer a fun combat experience. As stated earlier, this is an open-world RPG and you can pretty much do whatever you please aside from the first quest and work at your own pace - the magic of Elder Scrolls games. If you're into roleplaying, Skyrim is lacking in this area, as the leveling system is mediocre and there's little replayability value because one character could pretty much do anything and everything if you wish it to be so. Once you get up to the higher levels, the game is easy to break and the character can kill almost everything in under 10 seconds and leave unscathed, even on master or legendary (with the Legendary edition or the Dragonborn dlc) difficulty.

Overall: Despite everything I've said, this game is still enjoyable: there are lots of places to explore, endless things to do, and pretty good character creation. Although this is not the focus of my review and not required to enjoy the game, mods can really add to the experience and some people would even consider them a necessity (which is sad: why should people have to add things that should've been in the original game?). I would try Skyrim out if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.
  28. May 9, 2015
    First let me introduce this review saying that I'm reviewing "The Elder's Scroll V: Skyrim", not its mods nor the game with mods.

Bethesda continued the Elder's Scroll saga keeping the typical extreme role playing features, graphics are extremely nice and overall audio quality is amazing. I have to say though that progressing through the game there have been many things that made me

I have to say though that progressing through the game there have been many things that made me lose interest or even abruptly stop playing the game.
    The first impact was with the minimalistic UI, for me medieval-themed RPG = parchment.
    Second impact (that made me quit after 15 min playing until I discovered the mod SkyUI) was with the UI layout/commands. You have a whole keyboard, full of keys, and you are restricted to up, down, left, right and 1-8 hotkeys, with no mouse integration whatsoever (well there's mouse integration that makes you click things you didn't click).
    After many, many, mods: new UI, mouse clicking bugfix on dialogues, huge bugfixing packs, etc I discovered computer generated quests... that halved my interest on this game just for them being in the game.
    A mix of all that made me quit after ~80h of playtime, of which I genuinely enjoyed probably only half.

So, now comes the hard part, would I recommend this game given the above? Probably yes, because even with its bugs, the utterly bad UI or the uninteresting computer generated quests the game still holds a lot of hours of fun and good roleplaying. What makes you quit this game, even with all the bugfixing-mods installed, is repetitiveness, Oblivion had less content so, even if it was repetitive too, you couldn't get bored much, this game not only has really an extreme amount of content but also features computer generated quests...

Ah, and watch out for amethyst rain: every human, animal and plant in skyrim holds at least on amethyst...
  29. May 6, 2015
    Skyrim has a awful short story, large empty world and broken and useless RPG elements.
    Story is: here comes a bad dragon who wants to destroy the world and you must defeat it...who was writing this...a ten year old boy. Morrowind did not have a Planescape Torment story but you had that mystic with Dagoth Ur and that was making Morrowind awesome story game...put more time in story mates. Evolve more mature depth story not cheep Hollywood action story.
    Civil war quest is also short and dumb...I was expecting from civil war more then go and take over the fort quests.
    Why did you built a large world where practically nothing happens ( come on Skyrim is in the middle of the civil war and I had never had a feeling while traveling through Skyrim that civil war is going ), put more life in Skyrim wilds and roads or reduce the map size that we have a feeling that something is happening ( New Vegas had that...reduced map with more life...their I had a feeling that war was going on between Legion and NCR ). Why did you not combine dragon revivals and civil war quests…you know dragon revival would effect civil war. I also had a feeling like people of Skyrim aren’t effected by dragons return and they are living their boring life…put more fear in your world.
    Sidequest are awesome but in the future instalment you must avoid putting quests like get me this item or get me this weapon ( do not cut it just reduce the pointless quests ), it is really pointless that you must travel from one edge of Skyrim to another just to take a item from the NPC and return it to the quest giver.
    Put guild requirements ( it is really dumb that a barbarian with no skill in magic can join mage guild, same goes with mage in fighters guild).
    Why put 80 points of perks where you can finish you character in 25-30 perks (built improve armor rating , improve damage with weapon , archery damage some sneak and restoration and here you have a awesome character and still I did not use smiting, alchemy or enhance perks because when you used them it is a overkill for every enemy) . Many trees like speech ( why did you not put perks involving shouts in speech tree), lockpicking ( only good perk is the one that improves your weight) are useless. Smiting, alchemy and smiting is OP ( put a limit how much you can improve potion or weapon or armor so it does not go in infinitive), some perks do not apply to weapons ( I think it was critical hit perks, probably some others also ).
    Why there is no attributes? It is really dumb that every character no matter how much is his weapon skill can always hit his enemy. Dexterity should determine a chance to hit, lose the perk that improves damage put strength attribute. Endurance should determine health and stamina and intelligence should improve magicka and spell damage , put willpower so you have better resist magic chance and charisma for sweet talk. Put better perks and not “ if you do a backward power attack you have a chance to stun enemy for 1 seconds and that is ultimate weapon perk ( wow…OMG ) and the list goes on.
    I also heard that many things like guild requirements, better civil war you developed in construction set but left it out…why?
    And after slamming your head to a wall because you wasted your money for BS like Skyrim you discover Skyrim Nexus and boy what a change...mods rule...thank you modders!!!
    Mods fixes many things but still dumb story is here and going ( no main story mod…yet ).
    My suggestion is if you are planning to develop new TES ask Obsidian ( most of them are ex Black Isle employees and we all know that Black Isle was creating best RPG-s ever ) to help you like you did in New Vegas…it is a win and win situation for you and us.
    I give Skyrim without mods 2/10!!!
    I give Skyrim with mods 9/10!!!
    I give Skyrim in general 7/10 because counting on modders to fix your game is lazy so Bethseda learn from modders. The game is unplayable without mods.
  30. Apr 30, 2015
    This game is one if not the holy grail of the RPG Action Sandbox. The freedom of choice is pretty ample in most aspect, such as the construction of your characters being able to chose between different combat styles along with varying approaches such as stealth, ranged, ranged stealth, shield and one handed, two handed, dual wielding, etc.

It also provides out of combat approaches, such

It also provides out of combat approaches, such as blacksmithing or persuassion, which allow you to wield highly rated equipment that can compensate for your lack in combat skills, or earn enough money to hire help to go on your quests, along with posibilities to bribe or intimidate enemies or guards; or simply use your economic situation to pay for combat or stealth or even magic lessons and gradually become a skilled warrior while specialicing in money control.

The enemies are diverse, with distinct behaviour and their own lairs and settings, which are pretty well constructed, presenting ancient traps (ancient fortress), human lied traps (bandit caves or forts), or natural ambushes (Frostbite Spiders... Yuck!).

Magic and powers are also present in the game, having the traditional fire, ice and lightning spells, which come in the form of "walls", beams, shields or projectiles; and other spells such as invocation of creatures and spiritual weapons, fear and appreciation spells that will change the npcs behaviour towards you or each other, weapon enchanting, healing and undead turning spells, telekinesis and magic shields, etc.

The powers include the racial minor and or major powers, which vary depending on the race you may choose, the stones power which can be obtained in landmarks around Skyrim and present diverse powers such as revive a corpse for a limited time, poison an enemy, turn invisible for a short period, etc. This is complemented by other aquired powers, like the ability to turn into a werewolf, or a vampire, and lots of other powers granted trough questlines. The main quest starts you in the way of the voice, which allows you to project magic in shouts with little cooldown and varying, but often devastating effects (a huge force push "Fus Ro Dah", fire breath, ice breath, cold fire, disarm enemies (or allies), leave enemies (or allies) on the verge of death, and a long etc.

The map itself is fairly huge and provides tons of fortress, villages, caves and landmark or temples to explore, each of them fairly unique and well designed.

The npcs have their own life agenda, following slightly varying routines and all of them have independent disposition towards you. For example: if you are a dark elf you will be hated in some towns, leading to people treating you harshly and lowering their disposition towards you, meaning they will be less inclined to follow your persuasion intents on them. This can be changed by either helping them directly (with quests if they offer one or with shop patronage if they own one) or by helping their faction (helping their city or guild if they belong to one). You can always try to threaten them or put a charm on them that will turn them into your emotional slaves for a short time. If they like you, in the long time you will be helped if attacked near them, they will gift you items or coins sometimes, and if they die, you will be a beneficiary towards their heirloom.

All in all its a great game and it comes with one of the best and biggest modding communities, which have achieved amazing results for mod standards. But sadly, the horrible attempt of Bethesda and Valve to force us to pay for mods to get more money have hurt the modding community pretty hard, causing disloyal competence during the time the paying mods were active that now resulted in a fragmented community, with old hard working members that used to work together towards a goal opposed or outright rejected by their old partners, meaning some modding teams may not be again working together. Basically, mods were constucted with the help of numerous peoples and other mods, with the help and credit of the original authors. This allowed the creation of huge campaigns and assets. Once the paid mods were released, the scene turned competitive, work that before was borrowed was suddenly stolen, some modders tried to go standalone, hurting their counterparts, and some others leaved feeling insulted by the new system. Skyrim was a modding paradise. It will be long until it recovers from the damage done by the greed of the companies.

This game would be a 9, but after damaging the community by acting selfishly it is not the same.
  31. Apr 28, 2015
    After the resolution of the "paid mods" debacle I can now endorse this game again.

Solid enjoyable game, greatly enhanced by mods. With mods it's a 10.
  32. Apr 27, 2015
    Finally, and gladly, they removed the paid mods, but their crude and rude decision has done a lot of damage that cannot be undone easily. God bless us all.
  33. Apr 5, 2015
    Skyrim is a game developed by Bethesda, and with any game developed by Bethesda, it has one strong point. The world. It's a big and beautiful world that is better than Oblivion's dull "green" generic fantasy world, but not nearly as interesting as Morrowind's alien world (it's still a very cool world though!) However, it is either average or plainly bad at everything else.
    Animations are
    Animations are pretty bad; while speaking to you, characters barely have any facial expressions matching the tone in their voices, and most animations just feel like they were made by amateurs or interns at Bethesda, and since cutscenes are rendered in-engine, most of them feel awkward.
    Writing is uninteresting, and main and faction questlines have a weak plot (except maybe for the Dark Brotherhood questline). Side quests are usually fetch quests, and the ones who aren't aren't very interesting, save a few daedric quests.
    Combat is clunky. Splitting it into the three archetypes: SWORD-PLAY. It's fairly dull, just click until the enemy's dead and chug 20 potions if you're dying. MAGIC. Probably the most interesting since magic is fun. There are still problems as some spells cease to get used later in the game because there is a spell that upgrades it. Plus, Illusion is idiotic, as the effects from spells are capped to levels and most of the perks in the Illusion tree are simply raising that cap. STEALTH. Just crouch until your Sneak level is at 100 and then you're almost invisible.
    Lack of replayability. "Oh, but there's lots of different ways to play the game!" And you can play all of them in one playthrough, there's no need to start a new game. You can get every skill to 100 and play in all those different ways, and since you can be a leader of all the factions on a single playthrough, why bother with starting a new game?
    The Un-Epic feel. Aside from the soundtrack (which is pretty epic) basially none of your actions in a story that SHOULD feel epic (the final boss, for example, feels like just another dragon). The only thing that feels any epic is maybe your first fight with a dragon, and usually ist's because you're feeling the hype from all that marketing and good reviews paid off with Mountain Dew and Doritos (that was a joke I don't know if Bethesda actually pays off journos :)
    Consolization. Awful UI and the simplification of attributes and certain skills (In previous Elder Scrolls games, you had 8 attributes, now you only have health, magicka and stamina which is a perfect example of Bethesda streamlining their games for 10-year-olds, and skills like long and short blades, axes, etc have been simplified to one-handed and two-handed.)
    With that said, with mods Skyrim turns into a 10/10, as you can customize most of the game to your liking and make it awesome, though it will probably lack the epic feel it should have.
  34. Feb 20, 2015
    Three months after 11/11/11 I tried to play Skyrim. I won't repeat the shameful memories of those early days we all know so well. Just over three years later I wanted to give it another shot. I endeavored to mod Oblivion's half-baked successor into playability, to try and achieve an experience on par with Oblivion (or better yet Fallout New Vegas). I'm sorry to report that all theThree months after 11/11/11 I tried to play Skyrim. I won't repeat the shameful memories of those early days we all know so well. Just over three years later I wanted to give it another shot. I endeavored to mod Oblivion's half-baked successor into playability, to try and achieve an experience on par with Oblivion (or better yet Fallout New Vegas). I'm sorry to report that all the modding in the world can't save this game - well, at least not when its done by a non-programmer like myself. Skyrim simply cannot escape its dumbed down, form-over-function console roots. The hopelessly poor voice acting, ugly Havok engine and tendency to crash at the drop of a hat..its all still there, waiting to disappoint you profoundly. Considering that each TES title since Daggerfall has been more about pushing the limits of console graphics rather than PC gameplay, I don't even want to think what the next installment will be like. Now we're hearing sickening rumors that the next Fallout may be an MMO. If that comes to pass then any hope for Bethesda's redemption is probably dead. Skyrim was successful for one simple reason: gamers are desperate for *anything* with some actual depth, even if its only the depth of a kiddie pool complete with all the bodily excretions you'd expect. I don't know if its even possible but I would love to see a team of master modders put together a big package of various Skyrim mods that create as much immersion and quality gameplay as possible. I would like to think that with enough talent and hard work this game could be salvaged. As I struggled for well over a hundred of hours of fighting mods and the game's shortcomings I kept seeing little hints of promise glimmering beneath the dull veneer of simplistic gameplay, buggy mechanics and utterly generic story. I wish someone could make Skyrim the game it was hyped as being. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2015
    Graphiquement pas trop mal mais pas fabuleux, (sur la version pc qui est pourtant bien au dela des versions consoles ) même si on peut grandement l'amélioré en le moddant, je l'ai trouvé très vite ennuyeux et répétitif. Je n'ai pas croché à l'histoire (aux histoires) et on a énormement de mal à éprouver quoi que ce soit pour les personnages
    Bien loin d'un Oblivion qui reste à mon avis
    Bien loin d'un Oblivion qui reste à mon avis l'un des meileurs rpg open world à se jour.

Graphically not too bad but not fabulous (on the pc version that is yet far beyond the console versions) although it can be greatly improved with some mods, I found it boring and repetitive very quickly. I have not hooked to the story (stories) and was hugely difficult to feel anything for the characters
    Far from an Oblivion which remains in my opinion one of the best open world RPG to date.
  36. Feb 8, 2015
    A little disappointing and over rated

PROS
    -Amazing Graphics
    -Realistic gameplay

CONS
    -Slow gameplay
    -A little boring
    -Too many options to choose from
  37. Feb 6, 2015
    It's hard to not recommend Skyrim. It's a massive step forward from Oblivion, but sadly it doesn't match to Morrowind.
    First off, Skyrim has an actually written world where everything has its place.
    It's a good time waster. It has a terrible UI and a broken character development, but simultaneously it has one of the best game rebuilding mods I've ever seen. I give it a lower score
    First off, Skyrim has an actually written world where everything has its place.
    It's a good time waster.

I give it a lower score because of the tendency to treat people like idiots. "Puzzles" are just insulting. The game still wants to take you on a disney jolly ride, shoveling everything down your throat even if you dont' want to. You will end having ALL daedra quests in your journal or done just by randomly walking around after a quest compass' arrow.
    Also the opening scenes are just terrible. They need to fire people responsible for such crap.
  38. Feb 4, 2015
    AAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with brokenAAA games leaving old school players like high elves, who leave middle earth with ships in Tolkein's tales. I'm not surprised at high ratings because this isn't a bad game for average console player or player who hasn't got enough time to invest in games. Yes, this game has huge world but with lifeless characters. Yes, it has an easy to learn character improvement system but with broken mechanics. Yes, you have dragons in this game but they are desperate to survive against a town guard's attack. Yes, you have many quests to do but without emotion and they are repetitive. You have cities without people, you have roads without surprising adventures, you have dungeons without danger of life... I miss Morrowind. I miss unsolvable character creation mechanics and rich choices. I miss strange looking places and unknown, deadly dungeons. I miss playing a real RPG...Good luck with this game. Expand
  39. Feb 1, 2015
    .mis ming pileesnot ai ofs ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot as ming pileesnot a
  40. Jan 27, 2015
    Very interesting in the beginning, extremely boring later. This game is huge but when you get know 30% of the game everything is the same later on. Poor quests. Not very interesting (or just silly) main plot. It's Not good when game is boring, especially game with high ratings like Skyrim. Morrowind is he king so far.

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the

Great atmosphere, soundtrack and still not bad graphics (with the mods at least) are the strongest parts of this game.
  41. Jan 23, 2015
    this game has nothing to do with role playing. it is more like action adventure game. repetitive cave clearing quests, fetch quests MORE THAN dragon age inquisition. but still fun game and I am playing it for hours.
  42. Jan 13, 2015
    This game has a good story, character development, and some fun quests. The game as a whole is not that great, as a lot of the game is repetitive "Fetch" quests, where you go through a cave/dungeon that looks exactly the same(or very similar) as the last one.
    The world feels horribly dead, and lacks any sort of atmosphere whatsoever, I feel as if I am in a world without emotion when I play this game.
    I enjoyed the first 12 hours of playing this game, but it does lose it's novelty quickly, as a lot of the content is just recycled quests,textures,etc, this makes the game feel very monotonous and repetitive, as well as kills my urge to explore anything in this game.
    I would recommend this game still, but I would not say it is that great.
  43. Dec 23, 2014
    Despite my complaints, Skyrim is easily the best game on the shelf until you fast forward 3 years to get Divinity Original Sin. Like previous Elder Scrolls games, the world is gargantuan and the graphics really look great albeit that does not drive my score. Voice acting is good. Story is acceptable and combat is tolerable albeit still not great.

What I liked: + Exploration. Best

What I liked:

+ Exploration. Best open world game since Morrowind and you can do a lot of things from stealing everything to owning most of every town.

+ I love finding unique items and displaying them in my home. They are my trophies.

+ As stated above, voice acting was good. People need to get a perspective and compare it to most games in the genre and previous games. Have you people actually played console jRPGs? They are a travesty in comparison and they are all considered 'ok,' by many reviewers.

+ Spells are still fun despite lack in variety. I like blowing things up.

There are a few things I do not like about Skyrim:

- Shameless dumbing down of what used to be awesome (Morrowind)... fewer spells, less enchanting options (and easier to get high level enchants), and fewer types of weapons and armor. Less variety = less fun. Yes it makes the game easier to balance, but who cares in a single player game? I dont. I want to play the way I want. Its an open world game right?

- I hate the inventory system. Its slow, and cumbersome. Clearly it is a console downgrade for people who use a pad. The lack of respect for the PC platform that popularized the series is really disheartening.

- AI is still as bad as previous games. Enemies keep getting stuck and you can easily defeat them by hopping onto a rock and then off... hilarious for the 1st hour, very disappointing after that.

- Combat is still disappointingly shallow. They can really take a lesson from Witcher here, not that it is a work of genius, but it is much better than combat here. This has been an ongoing problem with all ES games.

- Economy... lol what economy? You basically own the world in this game. Very dull and was also a weakness in previous ES games. It still has not been addressed and I am very disappointed.

- Claw puzzles... are lame. These are not really puzzles. No brain required.
  44. Dec 8, 2014
    This game is good but not awesome
    the good
    open world
    sense of adventure and discovering
    plot

the bad
    inventory
    repetitive dungeon, dragon, enemy, puzzle
    very very stupid ai
    abuse of potion in combat

The most annoying thig is how much repetitive are things in this game, it became boring too soon.
  45. Dec 8, 2014
    Without mods Skyrim is nothing but a mediocre hiking simulator...

- clunky combat
    - laughably bad writing
    - mostly consists of garbage content ( fetch quests, c&p dungeons, kill x amount of y, etc. )
    - No matter how big a game is, that amount of bugs and glitches is simply not acceptable
    - really poor animations
    - the interface is basically unusable
    - etc.
  46. Dec 6, 2014
    It's really hard to rate this game; Each review is subjective, because every one of us is different. Rpg's are also different; some of them focus on different parts of the gaming experience, others in other.

What does Skyrim do best? Ambience (graphics and sound), exploration and adventure. What does Skyrim do worst? Narrative (plot, storyline, characters), progression (quests, hero

What does Skyrim do worst? Narrative (plot, storyline, characters), progression (quests, hero development) and combat.

If you're interested in playing a game where the story and the characters exist just because they need to and all you want is to wander, to explore stunning environments, to experience roaming in a fantasy world and kill foes just for the sake of it, then this game is for you.

If you're interested in playing a game with intriguing storylines with carefully woven plots, memorable and diverse characters, well-written dialogues (there is a certain dragon that is the exception to this), meaningful hero development and choices, imaginative and interesting quests, diverse and difficult combat, then this game is not what you seek.
  47. Nov 20, 2014
    Fantastic setting, great world, great map. So you can clear and loot and do other unminingful stuff. It is impossible to get involved - it is more like - hmm, I have free half an hour, so maybe a quick race in Forza? Or maybe I just clear some cave in Skyrim. To me this is like a GTA without a plot and with an infinite loot to spend huge amounts of time sorting and crafting. Still, theFantastic setting, great world, great map. So you can clear and loot and do other unminingful stuff. It is impossible to get involved - it is more like - hmm, I have free half an hour, so maybe a quick race in Forza? Or maybe I just clear some cave in Skyrim. To me this is like a GTA without a plot and with an infinite loot to spend huge amounts of time sorting and crafting. Still, the freedom, feeling of being there, art design - that aspects make it a true gem. Too bad it is missing a plot. Sidenote - If Witcher 3 succeeds in combining Skyrim's world and immersion with Witcher's 2 characters, plot and decisions - I may get a game of my life. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2014
    The greatest role playing game ever crafted? Um, no. For all the wonders of its open world concept, Skyrim lacks the beautifully rendered characters and interactions seen in the Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins. There is no sense of epic drama to the story which matches the vast world that has been created. Choices make little difference in terms of how your characterThe greatest role playing game ever crafted? Um, no. For all the wonders of its open world concept, Skyrim lacks the beautifully rendered characters and interactions seen in the Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins. There is no sense of epic drama to the story which matches the vast world that has been created. Choices make little difference in terms of how your character is treated by others in the game. And battles become laughably easy, even on the toughest settings, once you have improved your equipment enough. Bethesda is to be credited for creating something with impressive scope. I just...don't care much about it. I played DA:O and couldn't want for another play-through. I went on the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2 and my heart was in my throat. I'm halfway through Skyrim and I'm just...bored. Expand
  49. Nov 19, 2014
    Offers a big open world and creates a genuine sense of adventure, but after a while everything feels very samey. Looting tombs and dungeons become a routine chore and the core, hack and slash gameplay soon turn into a dull affair.
  50. Nov 13, 2014
    When I started playing Skyrim I was flashed, the world was big and looked good and it really felt like an Elder Scrolls game.

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is. The game is basically a giant hub for Draugr dungeons with a dragon here and there that I can oneshot with the right build, no matter how strong. The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which

But the longer I played the more I realized how shallow it is.
    The game is a major downgrade from Oblivion, which was already a major downgrade from Morrowind, but at least Oblivion fixed a lot of bugs compared to Morrowind.
    Skyrim on the other hand has a worse leveling system, a less complex fighting system, badly balanced skill trees, uncreative quests, a badly written plot and badly empty constructed Cities.

The only thing rescuing Skyrim from being completely redundant is how easy it is to mod, like any recent game made by Bethesda.
  51. Oct 5, 2014
    From the standpoint of quests, choices/effects, and enemy variety, this is the least salvageable Bethesda Software open world game to date. I have legit not seen a quest line I consider even passable. The dungeons, while a fair improvement over Oblivion's couple strains of layouts, are mostly populated by the following: Bandits, more bandits, necromancers, Falmer, Falmer-to-dwarven-ruins,From the standpoint of quests, choices/effects, and enemy variety, this is the least salvageable Bethesda Software open world game to date. I have legit not seen a quest line I consider even passable. The dungeons, while a fair improvement over Oblivion's couple strains of layouts, are mostly populated by the following: Bandits, more bandits, necromancers, Falmer, Falmer-to-dwarven-ruins, Dwarven ruins, and irrationally savage natives on the west side of the map. Bland.

This game is in some ways so watered down that even the obvious racist factions do not care what race your character is. In many ways this game is unbelievably sterile. I think it is because they stopped letting Kirkbride be lead writer, artist, and designer. God knows it would have killed him to continue that amount of alcohol and drug abuse, but the setting is ever the blander for it.
    Almost.. perfectly.. ripe.. for an MMO... huh.
    Anyway, in my honest opinion, the setting jumped the shark when the lore books started to directly contradict the setting, entirely to make an inoffensive, voice worked, familiar game. What do we have now? A setting more generic than the first EverQuest? Prove me wrong.

Now this isn't fair to judge these games off the bat. They have always, at their best, been about user content. But we're lacking the 'big' mods, like Mart's Monster Mod, Obscuro's overhaul, Fransceso's, the Tamriel Rebuilt, etc and ever the poorer for it.

So it has to be half a score. There is nothing insanely dense and creative, the writing has pooped itself, and the creators are pushing an MMO. Holy crap what a downturn.

Imagine if the game series we had in 2002 had continued on with no sacrifices made to the gods of expedience or so your neighbors idiot kid would play it for more than an hour or two.

ALMSIVI, ****
  52. Sep 29, 2014
    Despite the nice visuals/environments and the grand sense of scale with Skyrim's large map, I found my enthusiasm for Skyrim dwindling quickly the more I played. It seems that Bethesda have focused more on quantity rather than quality, as there are a large number of quests, but only a handful of them have any actual thought put into them. Most of them are monotonous dungeon raids that getDespite the nice visuals/environments and the grand sense of scale with Skyrim's large map, I found my enthusiasm for Skyrim dwindling quickly the more I played. It seems that Bethesda have focused more on quantity rather than quality, as there are a large number of quests, but only a handful of them have any actual thought put into them. Most of them are monotonous dungeon raids that get old very quickly. A part of this is because of the sheer lack of any depth or creativity to many of the side quest narratives. There are a few exceptions ('Blood on the Ice', 'The Mind of Madness', 'The Forsworn Conspiracy'), but these quests are few and far between.

Other problems include the sub-par UI (though this can be fixed with mods), repetitive voice actors and some balancing issues. For instance, gold is far too easy to come by, thus in accidentally owning the entire economy of Skyrim, the incentive for gold as a quest reward is no more. There are also numerous glitches and exploits, though fortunately most of them are fairly minor, and sometimes humorous.

On the plus side, some of the gameplay mechanics have been improved over past TES games, and the game allows for a variety of different playstyles, however there might be a few who dislike the simplification/removal of some elements such as spellmaking and attributes.

In short, Skyrim is a decent game at best, I just wish the game could've been more engaging in terms of storytelling and variation in quest design.

Overall rating - 7.4/10
  53. Sep 14, 2014
    Honestly, this game deserves more than 7/10, but I didn't like it that much. The world is expansive and fun detailed as hell and the missions are varied. Personally, however, I disliked the game for the promise of RPG elements, but instead I received barely differentiated classes, boring skill trees, and little to no weapon diversity. For those who prefer a more action oriented game fromHonestly, this game deserves more than 7/10, but I didn't like it that much. The world is expansive and fun detailed as hell and the missions are varied. Personally, however, I disliked the game for the promise of RPG elements, but instead I received barely differentiated classes, boring skill trees, and little to no weapon diversity. For those who prefer a more action oriented game from elder scrolls, play this game. The "problems" that I mentioned were just nitpicks and personal dislikes. Expand
  54. Jul 11, 2014
    A bit overrated in my opinion, but still a solid game that gave me 50 hours of fun. The graphics are impressive, but not as glorious as everyone says they are. They are about the same as the first Assassin's Creed, which came out in 2007, 4 years before Skyrim. The combat system was really disappointing and got old fast. The dungeons also got old quick. They all seemed exactly alike to meA bit overrated in my opinion, but still a solid game that gave me 50 hours of fun. The graphics are impressive, but not as glorious as everyone says they are. They are about the same as the first Assassin's Creed, which came out in 2007, 4 years before Skyrim. The combat system was really disappointing and got old fast. The dungeons also got old quick. They all seemed exactly alike to me and were fun at first but just got boring after doing a few. But the story was great and I enjoyed it very much, and the DLC was great as well. The characters could have used a lot of work, and just seemed bland and boring and made Skyrim a slightly depressing and lonely place because of it. Overall I give it a 7/10 Expand
  55. Jul 8, 2014
    Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B,Skyrim is a great game that I have spent countless hours in. Bethesda succeeded in crafting the most beautiful and vibrant open world ever, with rich and varied settings and a deep lore. However they took 2 steps forward and one back compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Quest lines are linear, offer absolutely no choices and involve mostly talking to NPC A, going to dungeon B, killing everything inside, retrieving item C and then going back to NPC A. The game is also littered with bland and static characters who are never influenced by or acknowledge your actions. Most are only good for one of two lines of dialogue. There are very few if any memorable characters, just legions of AI controlled cut outs going about there business. The story falls flat because you never feel connected to the world or that anything is particular at stake. Its a shame because technically Skyrim far outshines its predecessors, and its story and character problems could have been easily solved with some additional writing and voice acting. Expand
  56. Jul 3, 2014
    Skyrim is a hard game to review. It's not a very good game, lacking any meaningful story, branching consequences for your actions, weak and dumbed down combat system, game is dull, uninteresting and cant hold your attention for more than 10 minutes. It's a game deserving a 4 at most. Now, install some 20-30 mods (Requiem and Frostfall most importantly) and it becomes playable, evenSkyrim is a hard game to review. It's not a very good game, lacking any meaningful story, branching consequences for your actions, weak and dumbed down combat system, game is dull, uninteresting and cant hold your attention for more than 10 minutes. It's a game deserving a 4 at most. Now, install some 20-30 mods (Requiem and Frostfall most importantly) and it becomes playable, even ocasionaly fun, earning a solid 7 (since no mod can ever fix a bland and meaningless story).

So vanilla Skyrim gets a 5.

Skyrim with at least Requiem gets an 8.
  57. Jul 1, 2014
    A solid "offline" game, if you have a good audiobook playing or need to catch up on podcasts. In all fairness, I've never finished it, I get bored not enough story or dialogue-ing companions to drive the story (is there a story?) forward. Combat is fine.

PRO: -graphics -open world -open leveling system -dragons -a cryptic story involving said dragons -MODS, which can save this

PRO:
    -graphics
    -open world
    -open leveling system
    -dragons
    -a cryptic story involving said dragons
    -MODS, which can save this game
    -neat, interactive environment

CONS:
    -mobs level with you until L35, then they stop...but you keep on going to L88 making for a boring single arrow to the knee killing everything in your path...even the dragons (well, 2 arrows for dragons, but still...)
    -no real story
    -open, quiet, lonely and often boring world, like an MMORPG left empty and offline.
    -sometimes random dragons show up IN TOWN and kill off your questgivers
    -companions are boring, even if you marry them
    -neat interactive environment gets old when you realize you're looting the same shelf with the same iron pot, cheeses, and wheat in the same places over and over again
    -gets old, no motivation to finish.
    -THE INVENTORY INTERFACE IS TERRIBLE...be prepared to scroll through hundreds of items to find anything
    -no ability to hotkey, the favorites menu items don't make up for this...it's the 2010s, get it together already
  58. Jun 26, 2014
    In a word? Overrated. They really messed up the major point of even playing an Elder Scrolls game - the story. Not just the main quest, but all of the side quests and especially the guilds. It is fun, but inferior to Oblivion and Morrowind and not a good sign of to-be Elder Scrolls games.
  59. Jun 24, 2014
    I should say that I really have enjoyed it a lot at first. I loved all the choice I could make and blah blah blah... then I realized that combat balance was so poor that even the best and most well known balancing overhaul mod could not fix it.
    The main story line is way too short, too. Civil war was boring series of small battles that were not even epic at all. It is more epic to fight a giant on low level and steel set without spamming potions. In addition no matter what you do, the side you chose will win the war. You can't even low the battle. So you just start a siege and hide. Dovahkiin's power is not necessary to win the war. besides, Alduin was sooooooo weak while he was the last and the supposed to be most vicious end boss from your very nightmare. Even the main theme is about the Dovahkiin save the world from Alduin, the world eater! World eater my ass. I literally ATE him! With a mod, yes, he can be a true nightmare but still... his pattern is same as any dragon flying around Skyrim. I saved the battle with Alduin for the last and shouting "For the Nords!" at the beginning of the fight. Then I was so disappointed that I started rampage on Sovngarde for those 'heroes' who couldn't do anything about that weakling.
    Final and the worst aspect of the game is bug. Seriously, in my first playthrough, when I only had appearance mod (face, hair, body for player character) for the sake of enjoying original game play, I had rare and critical bugs that made me impossible to follow main story lines. I had to create my own solution with console to proceed. For the heavy mod users.. I can't say much since mods that involving scripts and so forth have higher chance to cause bugs.
    Graphics...that was same as Mass Effect 1. It was not really that good but still ok. Basic modelings were ugly as hell but ok. PC version can offer them free plastic surgery with appearance mods.
    Most these negative aspect of the games can be fixed with mod for some extend. Mods, however, can cause bugs since scripts in the game was already unstable as hell.
    Of course I recognize it as very successful game but still I don't understand why it was so popular and console version was sold more than PC version. I don't think the game is a junk. Developers were just lazy. Even though they had intention to give some space for mods they neglected their responsibility to build a good and reasonable length of storytelling and corresponding game play. The game story involves series of unavoidable battles. The civil war cannot be negotiated through the talking, Alduin? He will eat you if you try to talk to him. Most of players agree that civil war story is boring. What they should have done is that making a 'real' epic main story line with a good balance.
    Then what the developers did? they didn't even care about game balance. AI were poor. Melee attackers charge at you blindfolded, NPCs can't see you under the sun when you crouch if you have high sneak level. Sneaking? Child play. You can sneak while wearing heavy armors making loud clinging sound. Sneak level is everything. You shot a arrow while sneak? An NPC gets a headshot but thinks it was not an attack but his mind playing with him. Monster's strength does not correspond with the story. Dragons can be easily beaten by guards. Mammoth and giants are much more stronger than dragons. Dragons always lose in 1:1 fight with them. Then why there was a specialized dragon hunter group, the Blades? I guess the Blades started in paleolithic period. Then still Dragon set is second most powerful in the game. what...? I don't think it can even protect the user from iron arrows. Magic is not balanced either. Magician enemies will make a barbecue out of you but your fireball is like a firefly to your enemy later in the game. Pure magicians will have some hard time in the later game. Skill perks are not efficient and too simple. What's the point of lockpicking? I can pick master locks with 10 lockpicks. If I get lucky, I can do that with only 3 lockpicks. Speech? You don't need to get a discount with speech perks. Gold is the last problem in this game. There is overpower trinity, though. Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing. With all three you can be a heavy armored magician wielding most powerfully enchanted weapons with a potion addiction. Daedric items.. some of them are useless. Only few Daedric Lords will give you something useful items. Don't worry there is no penalty, either. It's just have unique look and names that's all.
    It seems like the developers rather rely on CK tool and those 'free' offering mods to fix their own problem! In addition mods can cause problems. It is not official add-ons or DLCs so it is less stable in average. What happened to those many big epic balancing mods? many of them ended with introducing bugs to the game play, or no longer be supported.
    In conclusion it was a game that couldn't reach it's full potential.
  60. Jun 5, 2014
    Yes, it's a good game. I'll just write what's not good in this title.

It's like a HUGE TOTAL CONVERSATION MOD for Oblivion. The inventory system is a joke, hard to find items, makes you lose a lot of time.

And I played it for a good 10 hours. It's fun, but nothing more, not good enough to make me want to finish it.
  61. May 31, 2014
    Good things: extremely modable, good music, rich world, huge sandbox possibilities
    Bad things: extreme amounts of bugs and rough edges, terrible AI, meh combat, too few voice actors, idiotic radiant quests
    Overall it can be enjoyable if you mod it A LOT.
  62. Apr 26, 2014
    Huge game with bad RPG system.

Huge game with bad RPG system.

This game is enormous and detailed. Apart from other elder scrolls and Fallout 3 series, I think this is the only game that allowed me to interact with the game world at such level of detail. I can pick up a mug in a tavern or enter some random NPC's house and steal everything. The world is living and breathing, with NPCs striking random dialogues with each other, bandits grumbling about the hardships of bandit life, etc .

Voice acting, visuals are all top notch. There's basic physics.

Sure, there is lot's to do, and after 3 playthroughs, I don't think I ever finished the dragonborn or civil war plotlines.

And here comes my biggest gripe with the game - the bad RPG system. I played just about every western RPG since 1998, and Skyrim is just bad. Having only health, stamina and magicka along with armor means that just about every melee or ranged character feels the same. Dodge-block-hit, thousands of time throughout the game create a very dull feeling of combat.

Without the 10 primary skill system from Oblivion, the character levels up too fast, where a single dungeon may mean 1-2 level ups. This means that a lot of content, like goblins (do they exist)? or Skeevers is just gone. Very quickly all dungeons are populated with bandits with elven weaponry, then Adept necromancers, then vampires in ebony armor. The entire world levels up just because I have sold some items to a vendor and levelled up my speech skill.

With no way to degrade or lose armor, the player quickly acquires the best pieces of armor and weaponry available, which creates a dungeon crawling experience where I don't care about the loot. There's nothing in this dungeon that can come even close to my own crafted/enchanted/improved armor and weapons. Everything is vendor trash, and apart from the trainers there aren't really that many money sinks in this game for me to spend end game gold.

Very soon my character becomes godlike in it's ability to slay everything that stands in its way. Sure, I can bump the difficulty all the way up to legendary, but this only makes combat feels worse. Instead of killing an enemy with 3 hits, I can dance around it for 2 minutes, slowly chipping away at it's health. Not really that fun.
  63. Apr 23, 2014
    While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good.While it is a good time killer, its really not much more than that. The gameplay is flat-out dull, unless your using a bow, which is impractical 99% of the time. The voice acting, along with the story, isn't very good. The factions are here, and are rather good, but they have only 5-10 missions per, which is really a disappointment. The UI is pretty bad on PC, and the graphics are good. There is plenty of mods keep in mind, but you shouldn't have to mod a game for it to be fun.

5/10. Decent. A good time killer, not much more
  64. Apr 12, 2014
    Skyrim is a huge game but it doesn't feel special or unique. Most places and dungeons look the same, NPC's are a big disappointment and it is based on quantity rather than quality. Menus and inventory screens are bad, navigation is really confusing and time consuming.
  65. Apr 7, 2014
    Skyrim does a very good job of giving you a huge world to explore, unfortunately the scale might be its greatest downside as well. It feels like not enough butter spread over too much bread. There are little to no memorable characters besides dragons and there are very few genuinely interesting quests to partake in. In my 85 hours spent wandering the lands of Skyrim, no particular momentSkyrim does a very good job of giving you a huge world to explore, unfortunately the scale might be its greatest downside as well. It feels like not enough butter spread over too much bread. There are little to no memorable characters besides dragons and there are very few genuinely interesting quests to partake in. In my 85 hours spent wandering the lands of Skyrim, no particular moment truly stands out to me. I find this to be rather disappointing after playing Oblivion... I'll never forget my skooma escapades or my quests for the Madgod, but my memories of yelling at some wrinkly old men on top of a mountain are already fading. Expand
  66. Mar 29, 2014
    Out of the box this game is mediocre at best. Thankfully mods can save many of the glaring flaws such as the world scaling to your level and removing magical compass markers, limitless fast travel and so on.

The core mechanics is very much dumbed down since Morrowind and sadly cannot really be fixed via mods. Todd Howard evidently is in charge and he is well known for enjoying action games rather than RPG games. It shows.

Factions in Skyrim is extremely underused and underwelming. Many key NPCs are invulnerable, breaking immersion.

To sum things up: There are many flawsbut with mods you can enjoy a few hundred hours of gaming.
  67. Mar 24, 2014
    One of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admitOne of the most compelling RPGs I've played in a long time, Skyrim presents players with all they could ask in this genre: good story, wonderful graphics and ambience, immersive and non-repetitive quests, beautiful and diversified environments, attractive game mechanics (casting spells has never been so fun) and a highly appealing theme (vikings and dragons can't go wrong). I must admit it's hard to stop playing, even after completing the whole game twice. BUT, there's the feeling that something is missing. What could it be? Well, once you get past the distractions, you will realize how utterly broken this game is; it's highly unbalanced in every possible aspect, and it favors exploiting the game's leveling mechanics instead of actually playing in order to level up your skills. If you choose to be a wizard, you will soon realize that magic is pretty weak once you reach a certain point in the game or select a higher difficulty, because the only way to increase magic damage is picking two perks that will (together) boost it by 50%, and that's it. As for the weapons, skill value and perks will increase it's damage by 215% or more (depending on the weapon), and it can be improved with smithing to give over 800% it's initial damage, without cheating. This can be achieved by using your alchemy skill to make potions that increase enchanting, then drink it and enchant your equipment to boost alchemy, repeat the process several times until you have the best possible enchantment potions, then use it to enchant armors which will boost your smithing skill, wear it, drink a smithing potion made with your best alchemy boosting equipment, and, finally, improve your weapon at the grinstone. Then you drink another potion to boost your enchanting and put enchantments on your armor that will increase damage output from weapons. This is the formula for power in Skyrim. I know, it sounds crazy. Anyway, while a Mage will start the game dealing 8 damage with initial spells and improve to a maximum of 80 damage with the top spells and perks, a Warrior or Archer will begin dealing about the same ammount of damage with inferior weapons and skills, but will have his damage improved to over 650 with top enchantments and weapons. And this is only a small example of how unbalanced and exploitable Skyrim is. Once you have your enchanted equipment, all other items you find in the game are just useless and inferior. Skyrim allows the player to save/load at any time, another exploit that takes the fun out of the game; what's the point of having the thrill of being caught pickpocketing when everyone saves the game before such actions to prevent failure? You will save before doing anything in this game to assure your success, because the game allows it. I can't give Skyrim a higher score because, even though it is awesome, it was not tested and balanced before it's release nor patched later, it is broken and will always be. Expand
  68. Mar 21, 2014
    I think this game is ok. Not amazing, not bad. However here are my problems with the game: Walking is too slow, running is too fast. The PC controls for lockpicking are bad. However the overall game isn't bad. Also there are parts in the game you can exploit so you can finish the game quick.
  69. Mar 11, 2014
    I find there's very little variation in Skyrim: enemies may look different but you fight them all in the same way and fighting is about 80% of the game play. There are no hard enemies in Skyrim apart from the occasional dragons, who in my experience tend to more concerned with immolating wildlife than letting me murder them, the cowards. I don't feel compelled to explore the world when II find there's very little variation in Skyrim: enemies may look different but you fight them all in the same way and fighting is about 80% of the game play. There are no hard enemies in Skyrim apart from the occasional dragons, who in my experience tend to more concerned with immolating wildlife than letting me murder them, the cowards. I don't feel compelled to explore the world when I already know that it's pretty homogenous and my interaction with it doesn't have any progression. The game gets easier as you go as you weren't challenged in the first place and eventually I just got bored and stopped playing. That said, the game engine is good, the leveling system works well and most of the bugs have been iron out. There are, however, some inconsistencies, errors, plot holes etc. which make me wonder how much time was spent testing this game. For example - why are over 90% of the population of Skyrim bandits? Why is every fort a ruin occupied by outlaws? When I'm obviously trying to save the world and everybody knows it, why do some NPCs think that their petty quibbling is more important the whole damn planet? In one quest you'll poison a barrel of mead in an out building of a brewery but when you return to the main building 5 seconds later the poisoned mead is ready in a tankard. This is just sloppy. Couple these with the way all new Bethesda games are released as a pile of bugs held together with spider's web and you've got a company who care far more about making money than making games and will go in the same bin as EA if they keep it up.

It's better than Oblivion, not as good as Morrowind or Nehrim.
  70. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the littleFire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  71. Mar 4, 2014
    Since I´m not into the ElderScrolls games (only played Skyrim), this game is not much more than Fallout 3 in a fantasy world. It hase some nice features like the huge world, crafting and a nice set of quests. But it feels like a Fantasy-SinglePlayer-SecondLife.
    It has some flaws, foremost a missing golden thread. My motivation curve was a downward spiral, since progress became repetitive and pointless. Skills, equipment and even leveling becomes senseless at some point (far from endgame), since it´s possible to win every fight by using brainpower.
    The world feels empty, grey and static, by the way. So many possibilities wasted...

A big world to discover, some nice hours of gameplay, but far from being a hypeworthy, shimmering gem of video game. So: some honest 7 of 10. Clearly above average, but not outstanding.
  72. Mar 1, 2014
    I don't know why with all the interesting exotic places in Tamriel, Bethesda keep choosing the dullest ones to set their game in. Morrowind had a fantastic setting with many distinct biomes that added variety to the game and made it feel like it didn't take place on Earth but rather an interesting imaginary world. I don't understand all the praise for this setting, there are very fewI don't know why with all the interesting exotic places in Tamriel, Bethesda keep choosing the dullest ones to set their game in. Morrowind had a fantastic setting with many distinct biomes that added variety to the game and made it feel like it didn't take place on Earth but rather an interesting imaginary world. I don't understand all the praise for this setting, there are very few biomes that don't feel very different at all and travel is pointless due to the fact that fast travel exists and that you can't travel when over-encumbered FOR SOME REASON. Morrowind didn't have fast travel and it never should have, it had many interesting forms of travel available in most places making travel useful.

Also one thing I loved about Morrowind was the variety of architectural styles, one settlement could be a poor dock village and another could be a magnificent mushroom town, there are much fewer settlements in Skyrim and about one or two architectural styles, more or less every fort is captured by bandits.

Skyrim is very unimmersive as it drowns you with loading screens that all take too long and has definitely shows that it was made with consoles in mind more than PC.I don't know why with all the interesting exotic places in Tamriel, Bethesda keep choosing the dullest ones to set their game in. Morrowind had a fantastic setting with many distinct biomes that added variety to the game and made it feel like it didn't take place on Earth but rather an interesting imaginary world. I don't understand all the praise for this setting, there are very few biomes that don't feel very different at all and travel is pointless due to the fact that fast travel exists and that you can't travel when over-encumbered FOR SOME REASON. Morrowind didn't have fast travel and it never should have, it had many interesting forms of travel available in most places making travel useful.

Also if you don't want the player to kill children DON'T PUT THEM IN THE GAME. All invincible characters in this game ruin immersion and if they witness you commit a crime there's nothing you can do about it.
  73. Feb 11, 2014
    TESV Skyrim brings almost nothing new into the RPG style games.

TESV Skyrim brings almost nothing new into the RPG style games.

Skyrim is a repetitive experience from start to end, the only thing that changes is that it gets more flashy as you progress, but when it comes to asking to player to be skilled, not that much. The graphics are awful, the characters are boring, it really failed to impress me. Then there's a whole lot of problems with gameplay, dragons are more plentiful than bandits sometimes, its just ridiculous.

But then comes modding which is the reason why I give it a 6 instead of a 4. Modding community made some very good mods that introduced very detailed characters, good graphics, and so on. However not one single mod I managed to get my hands on managed to stop the boring level grind and bring a more rewarding system where the player skill is the most important asset (as opposed to the ingame character skills).

In the end this game can be fun but it feels really lacking, like if they made the basic map and characters of the game and dismissed everything else. Its a trend that its common now, people love the "open world" games so they advertise it and make it look like the options are endless, but this game isn't truly an open world game is it, its just a big map with a main story and random pointless quests/locations.

Game industry is stalled, goal isn't anymore to make good creative games, it's just all about making something fancy and give false expectations to players so they buy the game, then promise more functionality in paid DLC's or the next game in the series, so people go and buy the next game in the series which added very little to the previous one, sometimes its even less detailed... this is just sad.
  74. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan and modder of the past two TES games, I had high expectations for Skyrim. However, I was rather disappointed. I will list the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

First of all, Skyrim has some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a PC game. Just awesome. I also enjoyed how you were given a choice to side with the Empire to help keep the peace OR side with the Stormcloaks and free Skyrim from Imperial rule. That was a nice change of pace. I certainly had a blast with the Thalmor putting death warrants out on you, as well as thieves trying to rob you. The leveling system is great and the combat is quite good. Hmm.. that's about it.

THE BAD

They took away skills like athletics and acrobatics and get this, portable alchemy! This was a HUGE let down for me. With Morrowind and Oblivion, I enjoyed carrying around my mortar and mixing potions on the fly. Disappointing indeed. Weapons and armor do not degrade so there's no need to repair, ever. This is just plain stupid in my opinion. It takes away realism. Seriously, when you fight, weapons and armor are going to degrade eventually, but no. A HUGE mistake Bethesda. Fighting dragons is cool for awhile, but then after the first dozen or two, it really starts to get boring. I'd rather delve into Oblivion Gates and I hate those things. Also, the shouts you are sent to discover are like the same thing over and over. You go into said ruin, fort, dungeon, fight some monsters, solve a puzzle or two and grab the new shout. Boring and repetitive. Same thing with most of the quests. There are boring and repetitive. Go to said ruin, fort, grab this or that, deliver this or that, blah blah blah. The bounty hunting is really repetitive. Now, what really got me, was, not many people in Skyrim seem to sleep, or if they do, they sleep for like an hour and they're back up again. In Oblivion, people were on tight schedules and it seemed more realistic. The NPCS are very annoying and it seems like everyone hates you. People just do not shut up. They all just jabber on and tell you their entire life story. I actually had to use a mod called "No Npc Greetings" just to give my ears a rest. Seriously, in real life, you don't just stop a stranger in the middle of the street and start telling them your whole life story. Not realistic at all. The guards are terrible too. It's like, your character is not even doing anything or looking for trouble and they just start mouthing off to you like you're some kind of criminal. Terrible execution Bethesda. The Hearthfire DLC is fun but you cannot build your home in a spot of your choosing. Marriage is cool, but you can't have kids, you need to adopt, but then the kids never age. Strange. The wildlife is nothing new. The wolves in Oblivion are cooler looking. Catching diseases is CRAZY in Skyrim. The first wolf I encountered with my character gave me the rattles. First hit too. Better carry lots of Cure Disease Potions with you or garlic bread. I also didn't like character creation. All the races are ugly and hair styles look horrible! There are mods to fix this however, but Oblivion's character generator is better. The landscape in Skyrim I also thought to be dull and dreary. I know it's Skyrim and it's suppose to be like this frozen wasteland, but there's a limit. Everywhere you go, all you see is snow, mountains are gray gray gray. Furthermore, is Bethesda ever going to fix the rain and snow from falling through overhangs? This is so unrealistic. Come on Bethesda... it wouldn't be hard to add some collision to overhangs so your character can stand under to stay dry. It's called "realism." The factions are boring too. Morrowind and Oblivion's factions are far superior and you had to work at them to get ahead. In Skyrim, you can become head guy/gal in a matter of a few days. Did I mention, you get no respect in the game either? Well, you don't. You'd think the guards would recognize you as a member of the Imperial Legion, but no, they still treat you like a commoner. In Oblivion, you were hailed as the Champion of Cyrodiil, Savior of Bruma and everyone loved you, at least if you didn't have have a bounty, but in Skyrim, you come back after the main quest and nothing. No one hails you as a hero. What a let down. Even the kids in the game treat you like dirt. It's bad.

I never dreamed of giving a TES title a score this low, but that's where I see it. A five is all I can give. I think Bethesda made a good game with Skyrim, but it was poorly executed and could have and should have been much better. Let's hope TES VI brings better realism, better factions, better quests and better immersion. 5/10. Extremely Overrated.
  75. Jan 13, 2014
    vanilla skyrim is a pain:
    the usual elder scrolls:
    non existant balancing, huge world filled with lame, childish stories/characters(maybe except the speaking dog...lol, the irony of that) better, but still sub-par combat chars now talk and you can respond, thats a plus, little to no choice/consequence/decisions, let alone ones you think twice about no personalisation(every player is
    vanilla skyrim is a pain:
    the usual elder scrolls:
    non existant balancing,
    better, but still sub-par combat
    chars now talk and you can respond, thats a plus,
    little to no choice/consequence/decisions, let alone ones you think twice about
    no personalisation(every player is the highmage, fighter/thief guild boss, dark brotherhood assasin AND follower of EVERY daedra-lord, owner of every estate and richer than anyone ever... come onnnnn.

graphics style was cool, however graphics quality for the pc, was a bad joke(or so i hope)
    why dont they put a little extra effort for the pc version in it?
    this applies for all games using this engine(fallouts, elder scrolls...)
    i didnt have the best hardware, but for all them games i used fanmods, that made the game not only run smoother, but actually looking BETTER! is it magic?
    no, its lazy devs and ppl not careing about quality.

also: what should be first and foremost in any rpg is:
    the story/writing. in skyrim its the same old **** as in the other elders...
    but maybe i dont understand it right: getting more stuff u cant/wont/neednt use anyway, hoard more money than youll ever need(or is re:alistic in any way), buying houses and furniture you hardly ever need(except for hoarding moar)+ being always the cheesiest of all possible protagonists, the chosen halfgodesque uber slayer of everything that moves.
    not cool
    theres more issues but thats enough for now

FIVE

id give more,with mods, but this game is a waste of resources, skill and creativity.
    if you mod it its quite enjoyable(if you dont expect too much rpg), but this actually speaks against it

good riddance there wont be another elder scrolls of that kind anytime soon.
  76. Dec 10, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is an improvement to the last. But yet it still lacks some things, and is annoying in some aspects. One of them is the dialogue. The voices are recycled quite a bit, as well as the things they say. But the great things counter-act that. Cave and ruin exploring, fighting dragons, tons of side-quests, and so much more. Even better, there are no huge glitches orThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is an improvement to the last. But yet it still lacks some things, and is annoying in some aspects. One of them is the dialogue. The voices are recycled quite a bit, as well as the things they say. But the great things counter-act that. Cave and ruin exploring, fighting dragons, tons of side-quests, and so much more. Even better, there are no huge glitches or bugs that make the game entirely unplayable. The only major bug I found was about 7-8 hours into the game, and a simple reload could fix it. I indeed suggest this game, but if you do, buy the PC version, as the console version fall a bit short. Expand
  77. yar
    Dec 9, 2013
    Great concept and fun to play. However, don't let the high meta score fool you. The game is not polished enough to deserve such a score. Bad AI that you can take massive advantage of (they get stuck, won't climb up objects, can't jump, etc)... the same environment everywhere you go, the same enemies everywhere you go, and in general the same routine everywhere you go. The inventoryGreat concept and fun to play. However, don't let the high meta score fool you. The game is not polished enough to deserve such a score. Bad AI that you can take massive advantage of (they get stuck, won't climb up objects, can't jump, etc)... the same environment everywhere you go, the same enemies everywhere you go, and in general the same routine everywhere you go. The inventory system is anything but seamless and the game has numerous bugs that can be found starting day 1. It has no profile system on pc, so playing with multiple people becomes a hassle trying to find your last save.

The game is fun though, has a creative leveling system, and constantly urges you on to discover something new. The pace of the game is slow at times and the dialogue scenes can be tedious. despite all of the above, and if it were a bit more polished I would give it a great score. Good Fun Game, worth the money I got it on steam sale at 14.99) but not "all that"
  78. Dec 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the first time I wrote a review since I never like to write in my second language, but I want to express my opinions on this (sorry) overrated game.

This game has a great open world. Such a big open world means that there are many many quests to do, to the point that it is overwhelming and you would say "no more at the moment please, I've got to do this one first". HOWEVER, most quests are largely the same which makes the game somehow repetitive.

The best part of the game is the landscape obviously, you can meditate or look out over the mountain without doing anything for hours. Making every hold and capital city look different is no easy feat as well. Architecture of the Dwemer ruins and the automatons are one of the best thought-out elements in the game, in my opinion probably because I am very interested in ancient civilisations. The best part is not only Dwemer ruins made a return from Morrowind, this time they added the tragic backstory of the Falmer as well. But when it comes to the best-designed dungeon, nothing can beat the chaotic, otherworldly and twisted Apocrypha from the Dragonborn add-on. You might even forget you are playing Skyrim when you are in the Apocrypha! The designers definitely deserve to be praised.

Another great element of the game is music. This game would not be complete without it. Composed by my favourite composer Jeremy Soule, many of the music are beautiful and calming, just like the landscape. He contributed so much to the atmosphere of the series. I like the little palette music (not included in the OST) you can hear when exploring in the wild as well.

Now let's talk about the flaws of this game no one can ignore. The first is, of course, bugs. I cannot count how many bugs I've encountered. It is actually the sole reason I waited until Legendary Edition was released so there would be less bugs by the time I start playing, but the number of bugs is still unacceptable. It has a HORRIBLE UI for PC as well. Fortunately the problem is gone after installing the SkyUI mod. The game feels like a half-polished port at best, forcing players to install unofficial patches to avoid bugs and fix the UI. It's pathetic that college programmers can do better job than Bethesda. Perhaps I should have expected it- it's Bethesda afterall.

Secondly, it has one of the worst plot I've seen in a bestselling RPG game. Not only the main questline (lame plot involving dragon bosses), but the College of Winterhold (kill a Thalmor and you become Arch-Mage) and Dark Brotherhood questline as well (kill someone, kill Astrid, kill the Emperor, and the story ended there. I was like "what?").

Choices are non-existent. One great example of the lack of choice is that you are asked by the Blades to kill Paarthurnax and you cannot decline their request, which is absurd considering the position of the Blades and the Dragonborn. You "can decide" to join the Stormcloaks or the Empire, but you can't remain neutral, and if you joined them, the outcome doesn't affect the story that much anyway. The disproportion of the scale of the world/landscape and the writing is almost laughable to me.
    I have a minor complaint but many people might agree with me the lack of depth in NPCs. Most NPCs can be categorized into quest-givers, merchants, enemies and followers. For followers, you can only ask them to follow you, do something for you, or go home. Most of the NPCs/followers don't have backstory. You don't feel a bond with the followers, perhaps except for Serana. This is probably unavoidable because of the lack of VAs and large amount of NPCs, but it's a shame that you can't have more interaction with your favourite characters or to know more about their backstories.
    Even marriage is quite pointless, they just move into your house without any more interaction other than to cook you food or share the shop's profit. To be honest I don't even understand why Bethesda included the option to marry a NPC if you can't do anything with them.

Combat is one of the weaknesses of the game, although not as bad as the plot. Melee combat is boring and most of the time it's just pure button mashing. Fighting dragons can be exciting at first, but after a while it gets dull. Still, I like the idea of Shout from a gameplay viewpoint. Even though it is unavoidable that they had to make dragons a main factor in the storyline, they should have written a better story.

Overall, I think this game is enjoyable by everyone regardless of age (ironically which stems from its shallowness), unlike DA:O, which I consider its counterpart but can be quite intimidating at first. However, DAO is better executed and has more depth. I fear Bethesda is running out of ideas for its games since Oblivion. Maybe it's time for Bethesda to make their game maturer or darker, involving romance or even sex in its main plot? There is also a more important task left for its programmers: "Back to Basics- Learn How To Debug Games".
  79. Nov 27, 2013
    If you come there from morrowind and then oblivion hoping to see a redemption of brethsa... well that's not it. This game feel like a dumbed version of oblivion. It's better, seriously, but it's dumbed down. The rpg aspect is limited to say the least. Gone are the days when you could make your own spells and weapons enchant AS you liked. And gone too are a lot of funny/stupid things thatIf you come there from morrowind and then oblivion hoping to see a redemption of brethsa... well that's not it. This game feel like a dumbed version of oblivion. It's better, seriously, but it's dumbed down. The rpg aspect is limited to say the least. Gone are the days when you could make your own spells and weapons enchant AS you liked. And gone too are a lot of funny/stupid things that you could do with the others TES game.

But, if you can play it without comparing it with daggerfall and morrowind then you have decent game. The graphic(especially with mods) is great. The animations, sounds and music are quite nice. It's a fully immersive game. I have only one big complain, aiming to full immersion the choice of pause the game every damn time you interact with the quickbar it's silly... I mean you are in front of a HUGE dragon, hit q and... the game pause. It breaks totally the joy for me.
    There are mods yes, but again if you come from morrowind dont expect to see stuff like that. There are mods VERY good, that actually make this game more an rpg than a graphic adventure but still, it's skyrim. And with skyrim i have to say dumb... so yeah, it's a dumb rpg.

Still, in the end i can't say it's a bad game. Graphic, sound, playability are all greats, it just lacks of difficulty other than "More hp/damage on monster" and there are only a handfull ways to beat it at top difficulty(the old TES had a LOT of "cheaty ways" so they felt easier but it was fun experimenting all of them). In the pletora of useless games around it's still worthless games around it's good to try it out, especially if you will be using mods it's a good investment. If there are any good discount buy it eyes close
  80. Nov 23, 2013
    For a game, it certainly has a lot of content. The downside of this, is that most of it is actually pretty boring after some hours into it. The only way I managed to even get to over 100 hours clocked on this game was to install a bunch of mods for it. But these mods people make for this game are amazingly good. This game probably has some of the best mods I've seen in a game yet, andFor a game, it certainly has a lot of content. The downside of this, is that most of it is actually pretty boring after some hours into it. The only way I managed to even get to over 100 hours clocked on this game was to install a bunch of mods for it. But these mods people make for this game are amazingly good. This game probably has some of the best mods I've seen in a game yet, and that's basically why I was able to play so much of this game. The story is pretty average at best, the could of done a few things to make that better. It does do one thing good that The Elder Scrolls series has always excelled at; allowing you to play the game the way you want to. It does have a couple of bugs here and there, but that's to be expected in a big game like this.

In short, if it wasn't for the large database of mods available for download, I'd probably give this game a 5 or 6. It just likes to keep throwing the same stuff at you a lot and the only way to really avoid this is by either ignoring it or installing mods.
  81. Nov 5, 2013
    This game really did dissapoint me i know this is many people's game of the year but i cant help but think this whole game was nothing but a dissapointment half of the people that have played other elderscrolls games knows what im talking about oblivion was alot alot alot alot better in every respect and was ahead of its time my heaps but this is just hack and slash with crysis graphicsThis game really did dissapoint me i know this is many people's game of the year but i cant help but think this whole game was nothing but a dissapointment half of the people that have played other elderscrolls games knows what im talking about oblivion was alot alot alot alot better in every respect and was ahead of its time my heaps but this is just hack and slash with crysis graphics everything about it just made me think why am i playing this its done better in oblivion id honestly say this was my biggest dissapointment of the year i was so hiped up for this game hanging on to every peice of gameplay and trailer bethesda gave us and i was just givin bugs popins hack and slash with no good story or any effect on the world no matter what you do 7/10 good game im not saying its bad its just really not as good as it schould have been Expand
  82. Nov 1, 2013
    Skyrim never really lived up to its expectations for me. The hype was exciting, considering the games apparent vastness and depth. However in truth the game in many aspects pulls the player away from believing in its world and the developers hype was mere illusion. NPC's have 1 body type and little facial variation, all children have exactly the same face and the game won't stop makingSkyrim never really lived up to its expectations for me. The hype was exciting, considering the games apparent vastness and depth. However in truth the game in many aspects pulls the player away from believing in its world and the developers hype was mere illusion. NPC's have 1 body type and little facial variation, all children have exactly the same face and the game won't stop making this apparent. Dungeon designs are repeated and enemy types are too few for a world so large. Armor and weaponry is absolutely linear, removing all illusion of choice. Civilians repeat the same phrases over and over again as you pass them with different voice actors repeating the exact same written phrase as another. Junk items litter the game world that serve absolutely no purpose mechanically (other than filler). We were told that arrows would be hard to find to balance the fact bows were so good, but in reality it's impossible to run out and using a bow in melee combat is exploitable. The AI is quite poor, especially in stealth situations, and does not convey an illusion of a living world. The game was and still is littered with bugs and issues. It certainly wasn't a terrible game, but it was no where near as good as people seem to believe. My opinion is certainly in the minority, but hype is a powerful thing. Expand
  83. Oct 20, 2013
    Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air.Skyrim is clearly overated. The biggest fantasy of all is that Bethesda is a studio that 'knows' and 'loves' RPGs. Oblivion was A LOT MORE FUN. If you disagree go back and try it. Skyrim is a hollow shell of a game with only a single great feature: The WORLD. The rock structures the plants and the weather of Skyrim are all brilliant. The fish in the streams, the butterlies in the air. AWESOME work. well done Bethesda. Sadly its ALL DOWNHILL from there. Skyrim boasts '300' unique locations. Well its more like 4 really, all copypasted and tweaked to be 'different' but they dont feel different. You might enjoy your first draugr ruin, but running through nearly identical ruins over and over again looses its luster soon enough. And it becomes incredibly tedius before you have levelled up even your first character. Character development in this game hits NEW LOWS. For a company that is supposed to 'know and love RPGs', how can it be that with each new game levelling your character becomes more tedius and BORING. The character levelling system in this game is TERRIBLE. Choosing between 'red' 'green' or 'blue' when you level is TERRIBLE. And from the studio that 'knows and loves RPGs the magic system is also TERRIBLE. The mellee combat, hit detection, and double-wielding mellee options are all TERRIBLE! Go Bethesda! The studio may be famed as 'knowing and loving RPGs', but is an abiding mystery why they think they can create immortal games without HIRING ANY WRITERS. You got that right. Click on the credits for the game, read it and weep. When you are playing the game you might notice how dull, boring, repetive and tedious it all is. You might notice that every single quest is a pale version of something you saw before in Oblivion or Morrowind. You might awaken to the fact that the 'endless questing' is a lie, no fun at all. Check the credits to blame the writers. THERE ARE NONE. that's right. Bethesda is so hard up for money that the 3D artists who built their 4 dungeons and the 20 physical assets they dump in every single room in the land double-up as scenario writers. And if you think the side quests are bad watch out! The main quest is WORSE. it's probably the most pathetic excuse for a story dumped into a game in the last decade! It's ever worse than Fallout 3 (Which is overall a much better game than this one by the way). Not only that. This game is totally lacking in terms of the kinds of magical or legendary items we usually associate with RPGs. The only vaguely interesting items to find are tied into the Daedric Quests. These quests are an assorted grab bag of sheer nihilism and ammoral garbage which will demand you please the 'whims of the gods, doing such role playing classics as eating human flesh and murdering strangers in order to get the blessings of the god'. Nice work Bethesda! (NOT!) So if you can endure a dreadful character system, boring combat, boring 'adventures, terrible magic, non-existant plots, a game that in all areas is inferior to both Morrowind and Oblivion, I guess Skyrim is Ok. It has its moments, roaming, watching sunsets, catching butterflies, of fishing by hand in the cool clear streams. I truly wonder at user reviews that give this game 10/10 scores. presumably these are all written on the initial wonder, before 40 hours have passed. Before they have accumulated 300,000 gold with nothing you need or CAN buy, or learned how to make every potion under the sun, only to find that they NEVER EVER need to use even one potion, or while they are trying various wield options before realising that most of them suck, and settled on playing sneaky archer, which is the only really viable build (SIGH). When you play this game to maximum level it reveals itself as a soul-less, empty, hollow lonely, terminally BORING, joyless affair. There is not a single likeable NPC in the game. No kind of interesting interaction with any of the puppet-like characters in the game. There is no main plot, no compelling sidequest, nothing memorable at all. Only some sunsets, some bug-catching and then tedium as you waste dozens of hours unlocking dragon shouts that you never even need to use. All this in a crappy port with the worst UI ever put on a PC. Bethesda do NOT know and love RPGs. Bethesda are cheap skates who cut corners, build huge worlds and fill them with copy-pasted tedium and FILLER. The high scores for this game are wishful thinking, tinged with nostalgia, and appreciation for all the good things Bethesda have done over the years. Bethesda needs to know the ways this game is NOT GOOD. They have to understand the way it fails. They can and should do a LOT better than this. Giving this game a 10/10 is a really big mistake because that only encourages more of the same. Wake up people, believe me. You do NOT want more of THIS!

Orctowngrot
  84. Oct 19, 2013
    The game is very easy, full of bugs, the main story line isn't interesting. The game-play is rather relaxing than demanding, it's also unbalanced. The animations looks rather cheap. Combat system is so simple and not difficult. I don't remember any characters (I even forgot the name of our character's alter-ego!). At least land of 'Skyrim' is very big, you can play this game for dozens ofThe game is very easy, full of bugs, the main story line isn't interesting. The game-play is rather relaxing than demanding, it's also unbalanced. The animations looks rather cheap. Combat system is so simple and not difficult. I don't remember any characters (I even forgot the name of our character's alter-ego!). At least land of 'Skyrim' is very big, you can play this game for dozens of hours (if you're RPG amateur I uninstalled the game instantly after ending main story line). One of the most overrated games of all time. Expand
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    Skyrim is great, and from someone who loved (most of) the previous games in the series, I'm absolutely in love. The environments are beautiful, the graphics are excellent even on lower settings.
    But the game has bugs. So many bugs. Animations are off, the AI can act irrational and strange... one of the most common bugs is that the top-billed voice actor (Max von Sydow) can't be heard at all, and thus has to be hacked for quests to progress! Minor bugs are acceptable and almost expected, especially with games this huge (you can play this game for 100 hours and still have things to discover on the map!), but something as basic as making sure the key elements work?
    I love Bethesda in general, and I will keep playing Skyrim for many more hours, but it's so bug-addled sometimes that the shining light fades slightly and annoyance takes over.
  86. Oct 12, 2013
    I was initially hesitant to pick this up. Reported bugs and all.

Well, after two years, three expansions and a number of patches... It still sucks, despite the rave reviews (note how like 80% of those are from 11.11.11-13.11.11 fanboys are so fan). The idea is kind of good an open world RPG with a lot of freedom to do and be done to. The implementation, however, is atrocious.
    I was initially hesitant to pick this up. Reported bugs and all.

The PC version's interface is STILL limited to the capabilities of a console and the keyboard/mouse is STILL pretty much being shoved aside. I can't even use any keyboard/mouse controls unless I unplug the x360 gamepad. But entering the character name no, can't do THAT with a gamepad. Not allowed! Bad gamer! Get up from your chair and TYPE!

The in-game UI is bad. I mean, seriously bad. The compass shows a number of weird symbols with no indication of what they are or how far they are. So, there's this... barbed spear ahead. Okay, let's go see. Oh, joy, I've discovered the Dreaded Asswind Glade. What do I do with this discovery? Is it somehow useful? Now, my character is weakened by the sunrise. Yeah, I know, I've been bitten by a vampire fledgling, I reckon. But... No character status page. Where do I verify my suspicions and find a cure? Right, under "Magic Active effects" oh, ok. And a cure? Google that, Prisoner.

The melee combat is so uninspired it hurts. I mean, the whole idea of having first-person view combat without auto-aim using a gamepad is a perversion but whatever. I can swing a sword, it might hit someone, they will grunt maybe and then they'll swing back. The level of combat interactivity is sooooooo amazing. Battletoads on SMD had a similar one. And if you want to be able to block with a one-handed weapon, you'd better forget about using an off-hand weapon or magic spell. No point in having an empty hand there grab a shield for blocking (and blocking doesn't even do anything a lot of the time. Backpedaling while slinging arrows or spells is a LOT more effective). I know this is not Devil May Cry, but god forbid melee combat was actually fun to do or watch.

But wait, there's magic. It's also pretty meh. You have a right spell, a left spell and a shout (with a huge cooldown). If your spells are identical, you have a special perk AND you manage to press both triggers at once you get a stronger version of the spell. Combining different spells for a variety of effects? NO! THIS IS NOT SOME ANIME CRAP! GET BACK INTO YOUR SEAT, PRISO... GAMER! Summon familiar costs 89 magicka. But I can't get it to work. It drains my magicka bar and does nothing. I know, I must have less magicka than is necessary to cast that. Hi, I'm Tellah, anime crap reporting for duty! Nope, my max magicka is 100, so?..

Speaking of combat in general no numbers. So have fun guessing if your weapon/magic is ineffective against the target or they just have a boatload of health.

I'm not touching the story because it's more or less an industry standard open-world games must only have an excuse plot so that the player is not inhibited in their actions by some stupid story advancement or anything. And Skyrim is no exception meet people, kill people, go on randomly generated quests... Much like a single player MMORPG. Just without the MMO part that could give the player some really big and challenging fights.

In conclusion: Skyrim is not a bad game. It's just not worth the money or the time.
  87. Oct 1, 2013
    It could be better... all the bugs are a real pain in the ass, example, I'm trying to open the vampire lord perk tree, the game simply crashes, with nothing to say, no warnings, nothing... sure my game was heavily moded, I took a bunch of them and even all of them out of it, even then it kept crashing. Story is good, I do like all the planing your character stuff, but these bugs really bother...
  88. Sep 30, 2013
    For me, the wonder and magic starts to wear off after about 20 hours or so into the game. Truly wonderful, gorgeous open game-world, with great music and hundreds of hours worth of content to discover and explore, is unfortunately let down by rather repetitive and boring quests, characters and combat. It's a difficult one, because in terms of volume of content and ambition it certainlyFor me, the wonder and magic starts to wear off after about 20 hours or so into the game. Truly wonderful, gorgeous open game-world, with great music and hundreds of hours worth of content to discover and explore, is unfortunately let down by rather repetitive and boring quests, characters and combat. It's a difficult one, because in terms of volume of content and ambition it certainly gets top marks, but just how fun and engaging is the experience of actually playing Skyrim? I guess that completely depends on the player, and I'm totally aware that this Bethesda RPG is considered one of the all-time greats. But, starved of any real narrative meat, tense combat and addictive reward systems, it kind of left me feeling like giving up, even though I've got the Legendary Edition and have probably only completed 5% of the game, or less. Despite having some essential visual mods, I still was annoyed by bugs and glitches in the game, or having side-quests that I just couldn't seem to complete. That being said, I'm still in awe of the value for money the game provides, and if I were a bit younger and had a lot more time to go traipsing around, then I might have carried through. This is a huge, epic game but it is not a fantastic gameplay experience. Expand
  89. Sep 26, 2013
    I spent about 500 playing this game so why give it 6/10? Well I discovered something called mods, where practically it breaks all layers of gaming that we know till today and coverts it into a masterpiece scoring 9001/10. I give it a 6/10 because the game by ITSELF is a mess, a beautiful role playing mess. The game that Bethesda gave us doesn't catch my taste at all. The game by itself isI spent about 500 playing this game so why give it 6/10? Well I discovered something called mods, where practically it breaks all layers of gaming that we know till today and coverts it into a masterpiece scoring 9001/10. I give it a 6/10 because the game by ITSELF is a mess, a beautiful role playing mess. The game that Bethesda gave us doesn't catch my taste at all. The game by itself is simply boring and doesn't do justice to other rpgs that are definitely shorter but more memorable. But with mods......mmmmmmmmm this game is so sweet loverslab XD. Expand
  90. Sep 9, 2013
    I played Skyrim from beginning to end, made a ridiculously OP set of armor and weapons, and finished about 80% of the side quests. I'm usually a completionist when it comes to games, but I had to give up on Skyrim. Although the game IS pretty and has a few epic set pieces involving dragons and cool powers, it gets old fast. There is SO MUCH to explore in this game, but a lot of it seemsI played Skyrim from beginning to end, made a ridiculously OP set of armor and weapons, and finished about 80% of the side quests. I'm usually a completionist when it comes to games, but I had to give up on Skyrim. Although the game IS pretty and has a few epic set pieces involving dragons and cool powers, it gets old fast. There is SO MUCH to explore in this game, but a lot of it seems pointless. I don't mean to discredit the game designers in any way, but I personally am not one to enjoy an area of a game just for its scenery. If I want to climb up a mountain and enjoy pretty creeks and nature, I'll go camping. It got to a point where I was doing quests just to start shortening the ridiculously long quest list. There was no real emotional attachment to any of them, and no real sense of accomplishment when completing them. No reward was better than the equipment I had crafted, and the enemies ceased to be a challenge. This leads into combat... I don't think there is much to say about this. The melee combat is still pretty clunky in this game (Bethesda... PLEASE take some notes from "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" on how to create satisfying FPS melee combat), and the range combat consists of slowing down enemies or pathing them into obstacles and pew pewing them do death. There is no real challenge aside from a few encounters, and even then, it is the same concept; just against a harder hitting, longer lasting enemy. The game can become a grind (especially if you are a completionist), and the key battles like Dragon fights become a bore. A real benefit to the game would have been some form of multiplayer (the hardest opponent is always human in my opinion), but we'll just have to wait for the Elder Scroll MMO for that... As an art piece or interactive movie, I give this game a 10/10. Beautifully done... but as a game... I'm sorry, it's just not appealing to me. It's a humongous beautiful world full of repetition and empty of emotion. You got half of the formula Bethesda. Make your game a bit more challenging, clean up your combat mechanics, vary the gameplay a bit more... I'm going to go play some Dark Souls Expand
  91. Sep 2, 2013
    In its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or threeIn its own right, Skyrim is a shallow but passable RPG, but compared to previous Elder Scrolls titles it's a huge disappointment. The level of casualization is simply depressing less equipment slots, more linear dungeons, no stats besides health/mana/stamina, less skills etc. The combat is actually a step up from Oblivion, and yet is still very basic and mindless. The first two or three dragon fights blew my mind, but it didn't take long to notice the looping patterns every single dragon would follow and how easy it was to exploit that. They soon became a chore. The main questline had a ton of potential but it's just so lacking and by the end I couldn't care less about it. I didn't care for many of the sidequests either, and the much-hyped infinite quests where nothing more than fetch quests. All in all, Skyrim is a nice-looking but barren and shallow sandbox that makes modding a near necessity. Expand
  92. Aug 25, 2013
    In my case the game was real fun only for first 30-40 hours after this time I just got bored with landscapes and the open world of Skyrim. Unfortunately this game lacks a decent storyline, I've tried to play it after completing The Witcher 2 and I was struck with the simplicity of plot. Besides at some point it's easier to kill a dragon than couple of Nordic zombies. However the game isIn my case the game was real fun only for first 30-40 hours after this time I just got bored with landscapes and the open world of Skyrim. Unfortunately this game lacks a decent storyline, I've tried to play it after completing The Witcher 2 and I was struck with the simplicity of plot. Besides at some point it's easier to kill a dragon than couple of Nordic zombies. However the game is worth to give it a shot Expand
  93. Aug 22, 2013
    There you have it, the modern RPG. Spending over 200 hours with it, I can't even remember why I did it. The world becomes hollow, once you've been there long enough. The fast-travel system that Oblivion invented, helps to ignore most of the open world, by simply traveling right to the front door. The fighting system is still mostly a simple 1-click annoyance. The story is great, that savesThere you have it, the modern RPG. Spending over 200 hours with it, I can't even remember why I did it. The world becomes hollow, once you've been there long enough. The fast-travel system that Oblivion invented, helps to ignore most of the open world, by simply traveling right to the front door. The fighting system is still mostly a simple 1-click annoyance. The story is great, that saves a lot. I understand that dragons are fascinating and big enough to give birth to one of the greatest hypes, but the rest of the game is dull. At a certain level, you run around and just wait for another dragon to show up. It's even more simple than older TES games. Your actions have no real outcome, no matter if good or bad. You cannot kill important people, the game babysitts you through until you have enough bad-ass equipment to bore yourself to death, while spending 24 hours in armor that looks like it was designed by 15 year olds, neither looking comfortable nor practical, but just "stylish". With the real world becoming more and more a catwalk for one-day celebrities, bred from boring normal people, becoming a dragon slayer in a dull world is just another step on the arc of the uninspired youth. When a company thats doing RPGs runs out of ideas, it might just as well put dragons onto the table.
    Here are some reasons why this world is so dull IMO:
    1. dwemer ruins.... traps and machines still intact after hundreds of years. Unexplored while being 10 minutes away from civilization.
    2. civilization... standing still for thousands of years. Rumors tell of a thing named "crossbow", to be developed soon. The people in this world are lazier as the average gamer.
    3. dragons... scary as they should be, have a companion with you who just cannot die until you kill him yourself and the fights become meaningless. The companion is like your babysitter, someone from Bethesda, accompanying you through the game so that the bad boys won't hurt you.
    4. the system... is downgraded with each TES game. No more weapons ready to swap with a single key. No sir, we develop games for consoles now, and since the average gamer becomes younger and younger, we have to make it so damn easy, even a 10 year old could feel like a dragon slayer.
  94. Aug 20, 2013
    Skyrim has made significant improvements over the past games, those being replacing the class system with a perk system, allowing for greater specialization: now improving a one-handed skill doesn't mean practicing with a sword makes with better at swinging a mace. Customization options are really good and the characters don't look like potatoes. The game world is really beautiful, varied,Skyrim has made significant improvements over the past games, those being replacing the class system with a perk system, allowing for greater specialization: now improving a one-handed skill doesn't mean practicing with a sword makes with better at swinging a mace. Customization options are really good and the characters don't look like potatoes. The game world is really beautiful, varied, with some degree of verticality due to the mountains and filled with little stories here and there in the form of notes and journals. However, the game feels largely unfinished and empty. The guild questlines are incredibly short and still allow for a character with no skill to become guild leader, especially the College of Winterhold and the Companions, though the Dark Brotherhood one is well done. The Civil War could have been much more, but it limits itself to changing the guard outfits, the dragons all have the same behavior: land at ~35% health and the player can head-on charge, spamming attacks left and right. The combat feels largely like Oblivion: hit the enemy sponges until they die. Blocking has no benefits, you still get damage and stamina is useless outside of sprinting: enchant your weapon with stamina drain and get power attacks all day long. Despite being very nicely handcrafted, the towns are incredibly small, even Solitude, which is supposed to be capital of Skyrim, only feels different in size due to its tall buildings you (most of the time) won't be able to enter. Almost all dungeons are corridors with the back entrance either being inaccessible due a combo of high terrain and invisible walls or are just stupid 'key required' locks. The loot is very poor, even a master locked chest has no more than one or two mildly priced items, forcing the player to use a lockpick perk to suddenly find daedric items everywhere, much like the speech perk tree is required for you to sell all the items you want. Lastly, this is the first game since Daggerfall where the player character can utter complete sentences all the time, unlike Morrowind and Oblivion, but the dialogue is very simplistic: Speech checks are rare and useless: a step back from Bethesda's own Fallout 3, where you could completely bypass a quest with a simple check. They also force the character to be a dumb warrior/wizard/thief/whatever simply due to the lack of skill checks like in New Vegas: Your character, the Dragonborn, blessed by Akatosh with a soul of a dragon, is nothing more than a dumb chap who needs everyone to tell him what happened for the last years because apparently he/she was living under a cave or something.

Bottom line: the game is enjoyable, but not exactly GOTY material, not with these issues, not with the bugs and definitely not with the interface on PC.
  95. Aug 17, 2013
    10s? And so much of them?

10s? And so much of them?

How come is that? Did the professional critics ever played one Bethesda game before Skyrim? How come they didn't notice the character-less followers, the horrendous interface, the predictible dungeon's ending patterns, and, most of all, the fact that the player has even less options regarding their character's attributes, birthsigns, skills, magic and equipment?

All are throating off about the graphics and the immersion, the shouts and the dragons. Yes, they're quite fine, thank you. But they are also normal it is expected that the next TES will be even better in this domain. They always did that since Morrowind, putting all the work on superficiality as a substitute for imagination and the option they didn't give back to players.

This game is played like Zelda; It is obliously made with the young console user in mind, the kinda guy that buys (or rather his parents) like 3 games a month. It has little re-playability value, since a sole character can pretty much do all aspects of this thin game. Bethesda's first public, puristic roleplayers that enjoyed a rich, open world and character elaboration, are slowly being forgotten. It is a game made for children. Check this out at this rate, I'm sure Bethesda will do away with the third-person view altogether, soon. All you will see about your character will be a pair of arms.

I read the professional critics here before buying the pricey game. That should teach me to never do that again. And as a result, playing Skyrim just makes me want to return to the Fallouts, Oblivions and Morrowinds. Shame on this guy for the promotion they did of the game, at the expense of the players. Shame on you, Metacritic. Oh, and you owe me 60 bucks.
  96. Aug 9, 2013
    Great game, but found that I had to fix a lot of things with mods making it feel incomplete. For some reason as well, I dont find myself replaying it as much as if it was Oblivion. For one there's a war or battle going on but it doesn't feel like that in this game, where as in Oblivion, u were fighting those gates and demonic creatures. Though its still a good game, just wish there wasGreat game, but found that I had to fix a lot of things with mods making it feel incomplete. For some reason as well, I dont find myself replaying it as much as if it was Oblivion. For one there's a war or battle going on but it doesn't feel like that in this game, where as in Oblivion, u were fighting those gates and demonic creatures. Though its still a good game, just wish there was more to it story wise! Expand
  97. Aug 9, 2013
    Skyrim, imo, is highly overrated.

It is by no means a bad game. It offers tons of content. I played 100+ hours into it. It got a huge open world, interesting lore and background, and all the things you can do. But the quality of the massive amount of content is not very high. In most questlines, other than civil war and maybe Daedra quests, you don't have meaningful choices. Maybe if
    Skyrim, imo, is highly overrated.

But the quality of the massive amount of content is not very high. In most questlines, other than civil war and maybe Daedra quests, you don't have meaningful choices. Maybe if you count DLCs, then Dawnguard would count as well. For example, you can never fight against thieves' guild; the best you can do is to avoid that quest.

The skill system also encourages grinding, which is boring.

Its DLCs, imo, are also overpriced.

Moddability on the other hand is a very important part of this game, and that is why I still give it a 7.
  98. Jul 20, 2013
    Ah yes, Skyrim. It`s a good RPG game that you will spend a lot of time on (Played 25 hours, about to start a new playthrough with new DLC). Honestly I liked Oblivion much more then I like Skyrim, I don`t know why. It just feels different. But anyway, if you like RPG games, or are a fan of The Elder Scrolls, definitely pick this game up!
    7..
    If you want all the DLC, and you should get it,
    7..
    If you want all the DLC, and you should get it, then pick up the Legendary Edition!
  99. Jul 17, 2013
    Skyrim is a good game, it's not a masterpiece like some people claim, but it is fun. The game lacks in visuals and the combat isn't that in depth either. But to make up for that it has tons of content and a huge open world to explore. All the quests and side quests will keep you engaged for hours. They're not all just "Kill this and bring me a sample of their blood by pressing the actionSkyrim is a good game, it's not a masterpiece like some people claim, but it is fun. The game lacks in visuals and the combat isn't that in depth either. But to make up for that it has tons of content and a huge open world to explore. All the quests and side quests will keep you engaged for hours. They're not all just "Kill this and bring me a sample of their blood by pressing the action button". Instead they have you exploring dungeons, making decisions, fighting off spirits in towns, solving puzzles, and of course fighting. The music in this game is great too. The best part of Skyrim though, is the MOD support. Making the game great.

Even though the game has lots of quests and an engaging world, the bad graphics and poor combat system make the game average, while it could have been great, I can only give it a 7.4. Sure it may sound like a lot but for the hype this game is getting it's considered pretty low.
  100. Jul 12, 2013
    The world of Skyrim is beautiful and filled with detail, yet an uninterresting story with evenly boring characters, dated physics and textures, and frustrating combat make this game a bit of a missed chance, overrated as never before, and simply a copy of everything Bethesda already did before.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012