8.0

1. Dec 13, 2012
    Skyrim is a beautiful, gigantic world full of diverse towns, dwemer ruin labyrinths, dragon lairs, and ancient tombs. Almost every location feels unique and hand-made, filled with tiny details and nuances. However, everything else is a letdown. Stripped of stats, the only enchantments you can put on equipment (or stats on found equip) are elemental damage/resistance, damage/skill boosts,Skyrim is a beautiful, gigantic world full of diverse towns, dwemer ruin labyrinths, dragon lairs, and ancient tombs. Almost every location feels unique and hand-made, filled with tiny details and nuances. However, everything else is a letdown. Stripped of stats, the only enchantments you can put on equipment (or stats on found equip) are elemental damage/resistance, damage/skill boosts, or stat drains/boosts. Magic and skills are very shallow and have zero scaling, resulting in mages being underpowered late game while meleers kill everything in 2 hits on the hardest difficulty. The game's best aspect, exploration, soon becomes unrewarding when you can craft & enchant better equip than can be found anywhere. The main questline, which will take you about 40 hours, is your typical YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE story (but still has some memorable moments given how much traveling you do). Sadly, Skyrim's world is trapped in a mediocre, dumbed down, DX9 console port. Expand
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    The game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is fullThe game features nice graphics, good sound, bad gameplay and very good longevity. When you play this game, you will get bored very soon: the gameplay doesn't have a point, a competition. You just play it for relaxing. You go and get some special object, but the game isn't competitive. It doesn't have a point. Very extended world, good graphics, but poor performance, and the game is full of bugs. Good plot. Gameplay 2/10 Graphics/Performance 2/10 Plot 5/10 Longevity 6.25/10 Average: 3.81 OVERALL SCORE: 3/10 (not an average) Expand
  3. May 17, 2015
    If I I say this pro my friend they will kill me if I talk to hate the Skyrim Game controls are good and beautiful but boring and boredom **** **** .not think GOTY Game
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    a horrible, horrible game, so unoriginal and utterly boring as hell. the graphics suck and so does the gameplay, never waste your money on this game, i wish i didn't make the mistake of buying this pile of crap
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    Good game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and youGood game but from an RPG I expected more. Quests aren't particularly creative. NPC dialogues and are okay but could of been better. The other problem I have with this game is that there is so much space but so little in regards to what's actually in it. The level-up system was simplified to health, mana and stamina. Weight is problematic sadly, you can hold barely anything heavy and you cannot increase strength. It improves on some aspects which other Elder Scrolls games lacked but in return loses a bit here and there but I'd say overall it's a step up as a modernized version. Expand
  6. Jan 27, 2013
    Incredibly generic story and plot, decent at best graphics, decent at best game play. Terrible voice acting, terribly generic characters. Without a doubt the worst of the series.
  7. Nov 18, 2011
    it's a well done game in some ways, mainly if you're a console gamer.
    the menu designs are just horrible on pc, why can't i use my mouse???
    graphics are sub par, over hyped, and the character progression is painfully simple.
    i got bored and frustrated after only 6 hours in :/
  8. Dec 7, 2011
    I think Skyrim is terrible in all honesty. The main quest is just filler material. All you do is slowly traverse from A to B, only to be told that you need to walk to C. When walking, 90% of the time there is nothing to do, and nothing to fight.

When you finally do get to fight, there is absolutely no depth to the combat system whatsoever. If you have a melee character, the only logical thing to do is use your strongest attack until you run out of stamina. The only reason you would ever use your weak attack is because you don't have enough stamina to use your strong attack. Would you rather give the enemy a nice little friendly love tap, or would you rather try to kill them? Playing as any kind of mage is equally as repetitive and bland. You just do the same thing over and over again on every single enemy. Switching from fire and ice to attack fire / ice enemies appropriately is not depth. The difference between shooting red and blue from your hand is superficial. You're still just doing the same old boring thing over and over again. Sure, you can be an archer, or some other type of mage, but you're still just doing the same thing over and over no matter how you look at it.

The enemy variety is mostly humanoid based opponents, such as draugrs, skeletons, and bandits. Yeah, there are things like Dwarven spiders, where - They really change it up on this one, get ready! - You have to LOOK DOWN to attack them! So deep, right?! Wrong. Yeah there are more enemies than this obviously, but regardless, you generally fight them in the same ways no matter what.

The perks are mostly passive, for example, "add 20% attack power". That's not fun. A good example of a perk would be something that adds a whole new gameplay mechanic, like the "silent roll", and "hawk eye" (where you can zoom in with your bow). I'm not citing them as perfect perks necessarily, and sure, there can be a FEW passive ones, I'm just saying these perks were some of the only ones to have the general right idea of what a good perk should do.

The areas are aesthetically appealing to some. I'm not saying the game looks bad or anything, but just that that's not what impresses me. There are only about 3 different area types in this game, the dwarven areas, caves, and crypts. There may be more that I can't think of at this moment, but once you've seen all the dungeon formats, you've seen every dungeon in the game. Everything after that will just be that same old thing rehashed once again.

So to sum it up, there is no variety with character customization, the areas have no variety, the enemies have no variety, and this game honestly has what I would consider one of the most superficial combat systems to ever exist in a game. Top this off with countless glitches, terrible patches, a lot of grinding, and pointless difficulty levels that only make the game superficially harder (giving an enemy more HP doesn't mean it's harder).

I'm not saying the game is total garbage, but the scores that this game is getting in spite of all of these problems is just absolutely ridiculous. I don't see how so many people are claiming that this is the game of the year.
  9. Nov 1, 2014
    First let me start with saying that Skyrim's combat is sh*t. It takes away the feeling that you are developing a character, that you help contribute to your character, that this is Your character. I am talking about investing points into Agility and seeing your character hit more often, those sort of things that create attachment to the game. Skyrim lacks the attachment part because asFirst let me start with saying that Skyrim's combat is sh*t. It takes away the feeling that you are developing a character, that you help contribute to your character, that this is Your character. I am talking about investing points into Agility and seeing your character hit more often, those sort of things that create attachment to the game. Skyrim lacks the attachment part because as long as You have the skills, You can do anything (from picking master locks, to hitting every time with the bow) which leaves you without a reason to care for this world, no attachment...

In Skyrim earlier perks completely say 'FU' to the difficulty and the need of finding better gear by giving you more damage, less mana requirements for spell usage (some perks are good).

Why Morrowind is better: from finding your own way via reading the journal, to more interesting architecture, more diverse and interesting locations, better made dungeons, better weapons, armor and loot, loot with value (for example glass or daedric loot was nearly impossible to sell due to its high value (1 daedric bolt is 4000 gold!)), more diverse and interesting magics, better and deeper stories, harder and more interesting puzzles (lockpicking was level based and if your Security skill was low forget about lvl100 Master locks unless with a magic scroll), harsher consequences for your actions and therefore more choices (you can kill anyone for example plot characters rendering the main plot impossible to complete unless you reloaded a save or found some other way; also NPCs were interesting because you could do more with them - if you were to increase the disposition of an NPC and your Personality was high enough you might find newer quests for example and new dialog. NPCs would offend you if they didnt like you and shopkeepers wont barter with you if you had items they disapproved like Skooma; if you had no stamina and were under attack you would fall to the ground unable to act until some stamina comes back).
  10. Apr 27, 2015
    One of the RPGs ever made. It has so much content, it can keep you playing for weeks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  11. Apr 27, 2015
    Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers, Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers , Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers , Paid mods?! steam andPaid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers, Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers , Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Do not support these scammers. steam/developers/publishers = scammers , Paid mods?! steam and bethseda really are scammers. Expand
  12. Apr 25, 2015
    I am seriously disappointed by Bethesda's greedy decision of taking 75% of the profit generated by mods their users make. This will go down in history as one of the worst changes made to an otherwise flawless game.

Skyrim Vanilla 8/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  13. Apr 18, 2014
    Out of date graphics back to 2005 level, no engaging plot, emotionless NPC, so boring gameplay. I tried this POS on my brother's PC for one night, so I am glad I got the fact that this is just a super hyped POS. But I really heard of the fun from mod. Sadly, I am totally not interested in mod. I feel this game is at most just a sandbox for players to add endless mods... roaming and enjoyOut of date graphics back to 2005 level, no engaging plot, emotionless NPC, so boring gameplay. I tried this POS on my brother's PC for one night, so I am glad I got the fact that this is just a super hyped POS. But I really heard of the fun from mod. Sadly, I am totally not interested in mod. I feel this game is at most just a sandbox for players to add endless mods... roaming and enjoy in their creatures. How brainless... Expand
  14. Apr 24, 2015
    Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..Paid mods gets a zero from me..
  15. Sep 30, 2014
    Three strikes.. and you're out. And that is the fate of Skyrim for me. I really wanted to like Skyrim, and I gave it three tries, but it was not to be. But why? Why can't I like this game?

Skyrim has things going for it. For instance it offers you an open world, which allows you to go anywhere you like. It also gives you freedom in developing your character. Want to be a mage/warrior/thief character? It is possible with Skyrim. But these are the only two positive things I can come up with.
    There is perhaps also the fact that you can mod it(modify it). But this is an advantage with a certain irony because Skyrim needs to be modded. It is simply to dull on its own.

An example of this dullness is the story. When the game starts you are... a prisoner? Hold on, where have we seen that before? Oh right. Oblivion. And you are about to be executed? Oh wait.. wasn't something like that in Oblivion? And you are imprisoned for reasons unknown. Ditto Oblivion..
    And then something happens and you are liberated..Like in Oblivion.
    And then you have to work yourself through some underground areas to escape pursuit. Like in Oblivion.
    You might think that the story of Oblivion is so great that it is almost verbatim retold in Skyrim. But it isn't a great story despite the fact that a dragon is involved.

But there is more dullness in the game.For instance. The excitement of having an open world to explore condenses quickly into disappointment, after you discover that the world is basically a dull sub-arctic landscape dominated by the colors grey, brown and white. The landscape is at times obscured because it is fogged over by mist and half the time it is drained of all colors because it is night. Towns do not offer a break in this dreary visual spectacle, as most of them seem to consist of half-ruined buildings and often resemble piles of stone more than buildings. They look as if dragons crash landed into them. There are exceptions, Dragon Reach has a few nice buildings and sometimes you actually see a nice landscape. But those are exceptions in the otherwise steadfast monotony of the game.

An open world is a nice idea until you find out that the game requires that you visit a place before you can quick travel to it and it expects that you travel all the way through the dull landscape. And while you travel you find yourself subjected to attacks by the same spawned wolves over and over. It is a testimony to the dullness of the game in that it throws you the same spawned creatures at you again and again. And what is more, because the game levels with you, you should not expect any break in these pesky attacks.

More of the utter dullness of this game: a magic user quest which makes you face an adversary who is immune to magic so that you are required to run around shooting arrows at it or make dash attacks with hand weapons. What fun is that?
    Or, as part of that same quest, your teacher, a master wizard, leaves you alone to fight hard hitting undead in narrow corridors and only reappears after you have killed the monsters. And then prior to entering the last chamber with the bad guy, he abandons you to fight this guy alone. Again!
    And..-this same quest again- Is it not predictable that when you visit an already fully explored dig site, you happen to find that hidden corridor that is overlooked by master wizards and excavation experts alike?

Another example of how strangely boring the game is, is in the way that combat works. In skyrim combat mostly takes place in your inventory and the interface. You see, you can only equip two things in your hands. And if that is all you require than you are fine. But if you require more.. like for instance you need to quaff a healing potion, down a magic regenerate potion, swap between a summon spell, an attack spell and your bow and arrows you find yourself half the time in the inventory. Indeed, the game has no quick selection functions. It expects you to do the job with whatever you have in your two hands or waste your time in screens swapping things around.

Quests are as inspired as the rest of the game is. The reason is not that they are they same quests as you see in any other game. As a matter of fact almost all quests are of the same nature in any game. The problem with Skyrim is that they are not embedded in a captivating story. Skyrims just fails to tell a compelling story. It offers a sandbox and expects that to be enough. Apparently it is exactly what a lot of people want. But then, MMOs seem to be immensely popular too and they are basically the same sort of thing. No wonder there is an elder-scrolls online. It is probably as boring as Skyrim is.
  16. Aug 18, 2012
    After lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poorAfter lots of hours in game, i've changed my mind and gave it generously 4. This game was made for console lemmings and pokemons. Fallout-like perk system makes Skyrim far too easy. It has nothing to do with an RPG, except sharing Elder Scrolls name. Playing as Adept in Skyrim is like playing as Novice in Oblivion, no fun at all. Buggy and glitchy textures, dumb and weak opponents, poor and short story, boring and repetitious side quests. Shame on you Bethesda, take this lazy mix of great Morrowind and very good Oblivion with you and don't you dare to come back, ever. Expand
  17. Feb 25, 2012
    Game as any other Bethesda game.
    If you played Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, then you've seen it all. This is the same game with different theme. Been there, done that, that's it. I got bored after playing 8h of it, it's too repetitive. After playing Witcher 2 this game looks and plays like crap.
  18. Aug 22, 2012
    These are not my words reposting from another website
    " More copypasta about Skyrim:
    I think Skyrim's biggest flaw can be explained by describing how the game would handle quests from Oblivion. Oblivion; Some women are robbing and blackmailing married men, I need you to find the suspects, let them try to seduce you, catch them in the act Skyrim; Some women are robbing and blackmailing
    These are not my words reposting from another website
    " More copypasta about Skyrim:
    Skyrim; Some women are robbing and blackmailing married men. I need you to go into this dungeon ful of necromancers and kill them.

Oblivion; These ghost are haunting my ship bro. Here's a silver sword can you go and get rid of them?
    Skyrim; These ghosts are haunting my ship bro. here's the location of a dungeon full of Draugr. Can you go and find me an item that I can use to drive them away?

Oblivion; BRO KVATCH IS GETTING **** RAPED, GET INTHERE AND SAVE EVERYONE DOG
    Skyrim; BRO THIS DUNGEON IS GETTING **** DRAUGR'D. GET IN THERE AND KILL EVERYONE DOG

Oblivion; Climb into the well out back and fetch me a right that sunk to the bottom. JOKES ON YOU HOMBRE THAT RING IS GONNA MAKE YOU DROWN, OH GOD STOP EXPOSING ME AS A NECROMANCR
    Skyrim; A **** bandit stole my ring man, go into this dungeon and get it back. Watch out for Draugr!

Oblivion: Guess what **** you're trapped on an island where hunters hunt people for fun, and you're the prey. Have Fun!
    Skyrim: Some **** is running a game on an island somewhere where people hunt other people for fun. Word has it that he's in a dungeon nearby looking for treasure to fund his game. Go and kill him. What? You wnat to see this game yourself? Nonsense, this dungeon will be far more convenient. Off you go. Try not to trip over any Draugr.
  19. Dec 20, 2011
    Bethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can onlyBethesda today released LAA (Large Address Aware, 4gb support) support for the PC version, which at least makes the game playable without using a 3rd party program. Since that is finally true (nearly 6 weeks after launch) this will be my final review. The score is a 4, a low meh. That score is based on vanilla Skyrim, no mods with the software as the developers intended it. I can only assume this is how they intended it being so far after launch, 3 patches later and this is what it is. The game is still plagued by compatibility issues. Some systems and hardware simply can not use the game settings to run correctly. In my case Anti Aliasing (AA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) is broken. Using these settings in the game simply does not work, causes major FPS loss and texture problems. Forcing these setting (on max) externally through my video card the game runs well. The menus and keybinding issues that have been widely spoken about persist and Bethesda has done nothing at all about them. Shadows, regardless of setting (low to ultra) are blocky, twitchy, badly behaved abominations all over the game world. There are hundreds of quest bugs and other minor issues that remain untouched as well. Perhaps most troubling is some of the things that DID make it into previous patch notes, supposedly being fixed, were NOT fix and still persist in game. All of these things bring my score for this game down and that score is solely because Bethesda did not take the time to polish their game. Now, all that being said....Skyrim is one of the best games of all time. Just not by default. If you (and I encourage you to do so) visit one of the modding sites (nexus) and see what the fan base of this game is doing, not only to fix Bethesda's laziness but also their broken programming your jaw will constantly drop as the hours tick away in the wonderful world that is Skyrim. There are mods to make the game run better, mods to make the textures in the world look better, mods to fix the broken inventories and terrible UI in the game. There are mods to make your character look different and mods that bring Skyrim to life. The modding community for this game is EXTREMELY active (all current mods have been made even without the help of an SDK) and helpful. Bethesda built the foundation and for releasing a flawed game get a low score. The modders finished Skyrim, polished it and made it one of, if not THE, best games of all time. Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    Very disappointing. A good game for most, but, playing as a mage, I felt it left much to be desired. The magic system overall is weak, and most of the interesting bits from Oblivion (such as custom spells) have been removed entirely. Additionally, melee classes get effective access to magic via shouts, which just feels cheap and marketing-driven. If you want to play a melee character, thenVery disappointing. A good game for most, but, playing as a mage, I felt it left much to be desired. The magic system overall is weak, and most of the interesting bits from Oblivion (such as custom spells) have been removed entirely. Additionally, melee classes get effective access to magic via shouts, which just feels cheap and marketing-driven. If you want to play a melee character, then yes, perhaps try it, but if you want to play a magic-user, skip this one entirely and just get Oblivion instead. It is a far better experience, and cheaper too. Expand
  21. Dec 10, 2011
    Even if this game wasn't released as a mess, it's not the game you're looking for. The combat system is extremely clunky, the AI is pretty low, the dragons aren't very impressive except when they're flying full speed backwards. This game is truly a circus gone wrong- physics is defied, mammoths fly, the ground vanishes, if you kill anything on a hill, loot it fast because Skyrim'sEven if this game wasn't released as a mess, it's not the game you're looking for. The combat system is extremely clunky, the AI is pretty low, the dragons aren't very impressive except when they're flying full speed backwards. This game is truly a circus gone wrong- physics is defied, mammoths fly, the ground vanishes, if you kill anything on a hill, loot it fast because Skyrim's mountains are all coated in butter, and that five thousand pound giant you just killed is sliding to the bottom even if it is just a 10 degree incline.

This game will be great once fans fix it and mod it... just like any other Bethesda game- so grats to the only company today that can not only get away with releasing broken games and getting fans to do all the work to make it playable... but the company that gets unbridled fanboy praise for doing so.

Anyone giving this game a 10 wouldn't know a good game if it came up and bit them on the face. We're seeing too many companies release broken games before they should be (because if this game was released without all the awful, and I'm talking game breaking awful, glitches, it would be amazing), and yet get away with it- why? Why are we settling for this? Why are games this flawed getting tens? A game that has numerous bugs that literally ruin the game, make main missions unfinishable, etc... is NOT A PERFECT GAME!
  22. Aug 5, 2013
    This is with out a doubt the most over-hyped elder scrolls game. This game took what previous installments did right, and casualized it to a degree where it's almost not an RPG anymore. One of the best things about previous elder scrolls games was the class system WHICH WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED, this is done so that the player can "Play how they want to play" this ANNIHILATES the roleThis is with out a doubt the most over-hyped elder scrolls game. This game took what previous installments did right, and casualized it to a degree where it's almost not an RPG anymore. One of the best things about previous elder scrolls games was the class system WHICH WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED, this is done so that the player can "Play how they want to play" this ANNIHILATES the role playing element of the game near completely, because your character can be good at literally everything. The story line is very simple, and full of very lackluster characters, the ending of the game was so anti-climatic as well this just irks me to no end. The graphics are mediocre on PC, but this is easily remedied by the 2k texture pack. Also the lack of character development and impactful choices is just truly appalling compared to previous games. The guilds this time around are also extremely dumbed down and lack luster with the exception of a couple good quests.

Pros-

Lack of True Role playing
    Story
    Dumbed Down Guilds
    Casualized leveling
    Dragons are a worse "Gate" mechanic
    Overly rewards the player
  23. Mar 18, 2014
    Subtract everything you liked about the other elder scrolls and well you basically have this game. A very limited spell system, with an overpowered fireball, game play that feels more like an mmo than an elder scrolls, very little combat on main thorough fares, even in the wilderness battles are few and far between. Combined with that and the fact that enemy spells were hitting meSubtract everything you liked about the other elder scrolls and well you basically have this game. A very limited spell system, with an overpowered fireball, game play that feels more like an mmo than an elder scrolls, very little combat on main thorough fares, even in the wilderness battles are few and far between. Combined with that and the fact that enemy spells were hitting me through a solid mountain when I wasn't even in line of sight, demolished any chance of me playing this game past that point. Expand
  24. Dec 2, 2011
    How do you say overrated in 150 characters(?), because that's all you really need to know. If you like running around and looking at pretty, fake places, you'll love it. If you're looking for a rich, deep roleplaying game experience, you'd be far better off playing um, er.... Oh, that's right. They don't make those anymore.
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  26. Feb 11, 2012
    Ok i was expecting a great rpg but guess what it sucked was like wow except not even that fun seriusly bathesda i was hopping for a out of this world rpg but guess what you made **** you need to make a new series dammit
  27. Dec 1, 2012
    How can I enjoy a glitchy call of duty black ops RPG engine with gameplay all the way back from Morrowind. Go play Monster hunter if you really want to hunt dragons. Come on Spike TV were you drunkk. Link to Past has a better over-world. Bethseda how did you get here oh yeah I remember you went to Las Vegas. Heck go play Duck hunt.
  28. Apr 26, 2015
    The reasons why mods need to stay free are quite simple.

1) Developers can get even lazier with bug fixes, they can just get the modders to fix the bugs and have them develop patches to sell. Meaning, all of a sudden this opens up the road for paid patches - think about this for a second - PAID PATCHES? 2) The average modder usually adds 20 - 100 or so mods to a game in the form of
    The reasons why mods need to stay free are quite simple.

2) The average modder usually adds 20 - 100 or so mods to a game in the form of skins, conversions and new items. If each mod now costs anything from $1 to $5 then the cost of the mods increases the price of the game by a large factor, this will increase piracy even more and we will start seeing mods on torrent sites.

3) Steam is lazy and apathetic, they will not police this at all. Allowing criminals to profit off this scheme by changing code, downloading old mods and rehashing them and then selling, or just simply download then upload for profit - this is already happening.

4) Current sites like nexus will start losing many mods because creators don't want their content stolen, in turn we'll see less and less content. Which is the exact opposite of what this idea is 'supposed' to be about. But we all know, this is just a cash grab by Valve and Bethesda.

5) This will severely damage the modding community, it already has in fact. Modding has, and always will be a hobby. Once you start turning modding into a career, you're no longer a modder but a DLC merchant with Valve and Bethesda profiting the most from your work. Capitalism in the gaming industry is bad, greed in the gaming industry is bad and it does not spur creativity, instead it breeds hate and malcontent, yesterday in many forums, we witnessed that.

The entire mod scene has always been vulnerable to monitization schemes, The fact that the older and senior modders fully well know the implications of paid modding and fully resisted and even openly fighting against it, where as some of the younger and more naive modders out there are trying to cash-in, and because of the lack of maturity, they are failing to see the bigger picture if this becomes the norm.
  29. Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have doneSkyrim is a terrible role playing game. By now we all know about the horrid user interface, the relatively poor combat and magic systems, the disastrous implementation of dual wielding (that makes it, essentially, useless.) We know about buckets on heads and backward-flying Dragons. So I won't even take them into consideration, except to say Bethesda could have done better....................And that is the overarching theme of Skyrim: Could have been better.................................................................................I came into this game not expecting much. It is, after all, a Bethesda game. And I am happy for that, because I didn't get much. No moral choices. No consequences for my character's actions. Speech skill isn't even something you can use. It just lowers prices at merchants. Loot is thrown at you constantly, level-ups are handed out like candy at a parade. There is no challenge, no feeling of accomplishment to completing tasks......................................Questing is, if anything, worse than in Oblivion. Literally everyone in the world has something they lost or need found, but no initiative to go and find it. This game is essentially one big fetch quest after another. Its sickening and disheartening..............................Still, as an action game based loosely on a narrative, with some role playing aspects, Skyrim sort of works. It has its moments. But as a true role playing game Skyrim is beyond terrible, and that is why, despite the things I like about the game, I am giving it only a 5. I am reviewing the game as the RPG it claimed to be and was not, as opposed to overlooking this significant bit of false advertising.........................Bugged launch, zero replay value, linear quest line, poor combat and terrible dialogue and writing (all in the Bethesda tradition) guarantee this will be the last Bethesda-developed game I ever purchase. Terrible developer with terrible writers. Expand
  30. Nov 26, 2011
    The game is boring. You spend 90% of your time running around the world (boring) and going through dark dungeons with maybe 15 easy creature fights (boring).. Combat is shallow and uninspiring with no skill or challenge. An FPS gears of wars game requires more tactical combat techniques (duck+shoot, duck + blind shoot+ shooting from the hip+ aim shooting + when to roll and seek cover+The game is boring. You spend 90% of your time running around the world (boring) and going through dark dungeons with maybe 15 easy creature fights (boring).. Combat is shallow and uninspiring with no skill or challenge. An FPS gears of wars game requires more tactical combat techniques (duck+shoot, duck + blind shoot+ shooting from the hip+ aim shooting + when to roll and seek cover+ weapons that are actually used differently and tactically in different situations = all required to play the game) This game, either swing a floaty sword or use range (all range is the same) Expand
  31. Dec 2, 2011
    Copying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same asCopying the Oblivion mods is that all Skyrim is about. They cherry picked and stolen some great ideas of modders and implemented it into the game. Skyrim is more like an expansion pack to Oblivion. It is nothing but a heavily modded Oblivion, just like Fallout 3. The game engine is not different, Todd Howard is a liar. It's still based on Gamebryo Tech. Bethesda's policy is same as Infinity Ward's: "Why break it if it's working?" And like in every gamebryo based Bethesda game, texture quality makes me puke because it was designed for consoles in mind, consoles with tiny video memories... Skyrim lead animator Josh Jones is a worse liar than Todd, the animation system is not revamped or whatsoever. Animations still do suck. Go play some GTA IV, watch the guy strafing right&left while running and then you'll learn what animation is really all about. Not properly working controls give me a headache, mouse acceleration is an atrocity. User interface is designed for consoles in mind. Hard to use with keyboard+mouse combination, mouse does not work in 90% of menus. Game crashes to dektop every now and then, crapload of bugs making my quests break, flying items&creatures all around is a mess, dragons escaping ass backwards and don't give their souls sometimes. Yeah there are mods to solve most of these problems but modders are not Bethesda, i'm rating Bethesda here, not the modders. Don't know the console version but for PC, i give this game a solid "0" because this is all it deserves for backstabbing PC community again and again. Expand
  32. Sep 29, 2014
    Pros: Fun first person shooter style combat; often feels like an actual roleplaying game; fun looting and trading system with merchants; the voice acting is good.

Cons: Not enough general stores in cities and towns to sell your looted junk to; dumb follower AI; only allowed one follower at a time; it is contrived that races other than Nords and Imperials can be Dragonborn; bad horse combat system; the Daedra "Gods" often times feel contrived; NPCs are too talkative, they will try to talk to you even when you run past them uninterestedly; most of the children in the game are annoying brats who you are forced to put up with; dragons feel contrived; the game is too unrealistic; ridiculous stealth combat system; a lot of ugly, dumb weapons and armor you can use in the game; the sound, music and volume of the voices are pretty badly balanced by default; NPCs which drop to their knees panting instead of dying when they should die.

Score Breakdown: Voice Acting 7/10, Sound Effects and Music 5/10, Plot Development 4/10, Graphics 4/10, Game Stability 4/10, Loading Screens and Frame Rate 4/10, Background Story 3/10, Gameplay 3/10, Replay Value 3/10, Realism 1/10, Total Score 3.8/10

Conclusion: The base game isn't so great, especially with the unkillable non-playable characters. I recommend playing using console command cheats (to kill immortal npcs and such) and mods to get much more enjoyment out of the game. Even then, although this game does have its moments, in the end I'd say it's really mediocre at best. I question whether any so-called reviewer who gives this game anything higher than an 8/10 actually played the game longer than for a couple hours.
  33. Apr 26, 2015
    RIP Skyrim 2011-2015

cause of death: Gaben greed

Really can't believe they are trying to pull these mod shenanigans. No steam, I'm not paying for a mod that might not work, and I'm definitely not paying when the creator only gets 25%. Put a donate button where 100% goes to the creator or nothing.
  34. Nov 21, 2011
    I'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all theI'll keep this quick, despite the pretty graphics (if u have the machine to max them out they aren't bad) and decent voice acting, I was quickly disappointed. The combat is terrible, quests are both sparse and boring, and very little to do that actually has any impact on anything of importance, I found this to be a quick waste of 60$. I can't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about. Expand
  35. Apr 26, 2015
    After **** up The Elder Scrolls Online Bethesda had the incredible awesome idea to introduce paid mods for skyrim , not only that but they and steam take 75% of the profits.
  36. Dec 2, 2011
    Take back my earlier game review, Game has had several patches an it still runs like **** crashes on random loads or fast traveling between areas, will have texture load failures. **** for all the game content an as fun as it might be, I refuse to play it anymore cause I am sick of it randomly crashing every 5 to whatever minutes. piece of **** crap game an Bethesda has joined the ranks ofTake back my earlier game review, Game has had several patches an it still runs like **** crashes on random loads or fast traveling between areas, will have texture load failures. **** for all the game content an as fun as it might be, I refuse to play it anymore cause I am sick of it randomly crashing every 5 to whatever minutes. piece of **** crap game an Bethesda has joined the ranks of crap software companies just like the rest of them. Horrible peace of **** unfinished released software I am sick of wasting my money on crap software that is released untested an we the consumer get to play their test dumby as they patch an fix the game they released broken. TIRED OF IT AN I REFUSE TO BUY ANY GAME THAT IS NOT MADE BY BLIZZARD FROM NOW ON. Expand
  37. Sep 5, 2012
    I will try to sum up how bad this game is: 1.) The story sucks, actually is practically non existent 2.) 85% of the game is made up boring fetch quests 3.) The game is level scaled. When you level up, then the enemies do the same 4.) The game is simple, even a 6 year old could play this. It is not challenging at all 5.) The RPG elements have been dumbed down so far that they are nowI will try to sum up how bad this game is: 1.) The story sucks, actually is practically non existent 2.) 85% of the game is made up boring fetch quests 3.) The game is level scaled. When you level up, then the enemies do the same 4.) The game is simple, even a 6 year old could play this. It is not challenging at all 5.) The RPG elements have been dumbed down so far that they are now practically non existent. This game is just a standard hack and slash 6.) 98% of all caves, dungeons, etc. are 100% linear. There is only 1 path, thats it. 7.) The inventory system is HORRIBLE. Bethesda can sell millions of copies of this **** game, but they just do not have the professional pride to actually design an efficient inventory system. 8.) There are no challenging or super powerful enemies 9.) Money has no value in this game, it is worthless. 10.) To level up your skills (alchemy, blacksmith) you have to grind so much, that it is ridiculous. 11.) There are no super powerful items in the game. The best items can only be created by your character (with generic ingredients) 12.) Exploring does not reward you in any way. It is just a waste of time. 13.) Companions are only good as mules, because they are retarded 14.) The Dragons are a joke. Simple and way too many of them. 14.) Potions are worthles (except for crafting items) because the game is not challening at all. 15.) You can find everything in abundance, there is nothing rare in this game. 16.) Why are worthless plates, cups, goblets etc. collectable? All they do is clutter up your inventory and are totally worthless! --- I could go on forever. It doesn't matter though. This game is horrible, it is the pinacle of bad game design dumbed down to a level so that retards can play it. It is the worst "RPG" or "Hack and Slash" I have ever played, and one of the worst games I have ever played. It sucks. Thats it. Expand
  38. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had a 3000 character review written but metacritic gave me the message "Your review must be at least 150 characters long.". Okay... So I'll condense what I said into very easy bullet points.

Keep in mind I've played about 60 hours total now which is more than broken in but admittedly not as good as it could be for a full review. Nevertheless, let me begin:

1. Dwemer ruins, caves & crypts are literally the only dungeon tilesets in the game.
    2. Game boasts hundreds of hours worth of side quests. Once you've done 60 hours worth of them like me you realize the "quantity over quality" feel and that the experience & reward before, during and after all quests are the same and quite pointless. Quite literally "Kill X for X Reason" or "I lost X Item in X Dungeon".
    3. Almost all quests are fast-travel fests. Expect the map to be open often as you travel across the world in seconds. No fast travel would be worst with Skyrims setup but it is nonetheless immersion breaking.
    4. Guilds are a shadow of their former selves, with you being able to join guilds like the Dark Brotherhood literally after 1 short quest. After 1 short quest you are simply allowed access to this super secret society and their secret lair.
    5. No real impact on the world beyond guards saying things. I killed the EMPEROR OF TAMRIEL and the greatest impact I've seen so far is a town guard saying the "emperor of skyrim" was dead.
    6. At level 31 and 60 hours played, my 60k gold is pointless and selling items are pointless.
    7. Storyline is cliched to hell with the standardized "ancient evil villain (dragon) trying to take over the world, and only a last of his kind super badass (dragonborn) can save it". Within a few minutes of starting the game you manage to take down a DRAGON with iron weapons & 4 or 5 regular town guards, and are then told you are an amazing total badass warrior. This personally irks me because I hate the modern casualized babygamer trend of stories starting off with the protagonist already being an established god of warfare. This is why I liked games like Fallout 1 & 2 where you started off relatively as a nothing, but through your own efforts became a powerful badass.

Skyrim is worth buying to enjoy for around 60 hours but only if you manage to get a steam sale. Beyond that you shouldn't waste $60 or more. If you want a real RPG I suggest trying out Baulder's gate, fallout 1 or 2, planescape torment among many others. Not to mention you'll get far more & longer enjoyment out of them for $5 on gog.
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    Simplemente, aburrido. Buenos gráficos, un gran mundo para explorar y mucha libertad. No está mal, supongo... para el que prefiera eso a una buena historia, personajes carismáticos y algo de personalidad.

Pd: si buscas un RPG, mira en otra parte. Aquí no tenemos de eso.
  40. Apr 25, 2015
    Game needs mods to be great, but now mods are just microtransactions, so the game is not worth your time. Get Morrowind or Oblivion instead - they're just as good when modded (arguably, Morrowind is even better), and all their mods are FREE.
  41. Jul 30, 2012
    I simply cannot understand all the Hype with this game and Oblivion and similar games like Mass effect 1+2.. The story is so boring and there are so many side stuff that u simply get lost past the 4-5 hours of playing it.

It's games like this that i really wanna play when i see the trailers, and then get terribly disappointed, Thank god for piratebay! Heavily Overrated boring Game
  42. May 16, 2013
    The only redeeming factor about this product is the soundtrack and endless mods. Bethesda released a very broken and unfinished product w/ countless glitches, bugs and errors. Nearly everything about this game is bland and uninspiring.
  43. Nov 2, 2014
    Just a bad game. Awful combat, no challenge, no intensity, broken inventory and bugs everywhere!!. Looks completely unfinished and feels like nothing more than a bad dlc of oblivion. Could barely finish it. How this garbage sucked so many people in is beyond me but I can safely say this is by far one of the worst videogames ive ever had the displeasure to have on my computer.
  44. Apr 23, 2015
    Great game with all the 100+ mods i have (literally i just counted its more than 100). Not worth without them.
    All mods were downloaded from the nexus. In an month all the mods will come over here to the freaking steam **** and charge for them, while either delleting them in the nexus or keeping really outdated versions of them in there.
    Dont believe me? This **** already started, just

Dont believe me? This **** already started, just check Wet and **** cold.

v2.0 here in steam workshop

v1.4 in the nexus.

GO to freaking hell valve bethesda and Gaben
  45. Jul 11, 2014
    In short, crappy and extremely buggy console port.

It is now more than 2 years after the release, are the issues identified since launch fixed? NO! The game still has tons of bugs, and even unofficial patch fails to address all the issues. The stability of this game is the worst in the last 3 installments of elder scroll, its random crash is just too annoying. Also, the UI, control
    In short, crappy and extremely buggy console port.

Also, the UI, control and menu are downgraded to the level of console. It is so counter-intuitive that a hardcore PC gamers will lose all the passion to try this game.

There are also something that even mods can't fix it. The story, quest variety and content, dungeon and world design are all worse than the previous installment. The only good thing is a better graphic, but will be easily beaten down with a graphic mod on an old elder scroll game.

So, i would not recommend this game. Instead, either get Oblivion or Morrowind, depending on your taste.

By the way, I am surprised to see the high user score there, as the PS3 console gamers also understand how bad the design and technical flaws of this game are, so why are PC gamers on the opposite side of the bridge this time?
  46. Dec 25, 2011
    Tremendous fun at first, but the game's charm wears off quickly. Each subsequent installment of TES series removes more of the RPG elements, and Skyrim is pretty much just a FPP hack'n'slash. The main plot is a cookie-cutter sub-par heroic fantasy dragon slaying "adventure" and side quests are rather disappointing too - kill, exterminate, assassinate, murder and fetch. Playing a warriorTremendous fun at first, but the game's charm wears off quickly. Each subsequent installment of TES series removes more of the RPG elements, and Skyrim is pretty much just a FPP hack'n'slash. The main plot is a cookie-cutter sub-par heroic fantasy dragon slaying "adventure" and side quests are rather disappointing too - kill, exterminate, assassinate, murder and fetch. Playing a warrior archetype will get you bored to death, sneaky rogues and mage might fare better though. The world is big, but compared to, for example, Morrowind, it's bland, default north of the default fantasy setting. Exploration isn't really worth the effort, random dungeons litter the landscape, filled with random baddies to murder, bearing random, level-scaled loot. There's barely anyone to talk to outside of main cities - not saying that's a bad thing, since the dialogues are quite badly written and uninteresting, voiced by about 10 actors at that. Not to mention the interface, which was designed for consoles and is agonizingly annoying to use on the PC, and the outdated graphics. This game jest needs mods to be decent, and without them it's a solid 4/10. Skyrim made me look more favourably on Oblivion. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    Didn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then inDidn't give a zero for review cause they still managed to port this game from the 360. I highly like RPG games and been playing Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall but after playing a few hours it doesn't grab me at all like Morrowind or Oblivion. The fights are absurdly easy, doesn't require any skill (another game gone bad due to xbox ports). I liked the graphics in Morrowind more then in this game. Strolling through the map is one of my favourite things to do in other Elder Scroll games but this game doesn't offer any fun in doing so. Its one big hyped RPG suited for the XBox generation... very sad Expand
  48. Dec 18, 2014
    Skyrim acts like nothing's special. All games account for every possibility, aside from glitches, but they at least acknowledge you for doing something extraordinary, going the extra mile, discovering a secret. No matter what you do in Skyrim, it just gives you a blank stare. Greatness is no different from common-ness. There's an ego buried beneath the surface here. Skyrim wants youSkyrim acts like nothing's special. All games account for every possibility, aside from glitches, but they at least acknowledge you for doing something extraordinary, going the extra mile, discovering a secret. No matter what you do in Skyrim, it just gives you a blank stare. Greatness is no different from common-ness. There's an ego buried beneath the surface here. Skyrim wants you to think it's so wonderful and above you that "Yes, of course almighty Skyrim doesn't acknowledge my accomplishments. Just take my money and I'll be quiet." This goes against the basic tenants of entertainment. You're supposed to give something to your audience, make them feel special. Skyrim is selfish and self-absorbed Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    Thank Valve for destroying PC gaming's very soul. R.I.P. you mediocre waste of hdd space. The mods that once brought on the top are being strip from your skin as we speak. And I can't bear to look at such suffering.

Especially when it is your very own family that do it.
  50. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i don`t like this game ,it is just fallout in medieval time,it have allot of bugs and the graphics is not that good (age of conan have much better graphics and that is an mmorpg) overall it is annoying to play with all the static npc messing the same ting over and over Expand
  51. Nov 29, 2012
    I really tried to like this game. I played it for 20 hours or more. I set the graphics to ULTRA and they are good. The character creation seems good too. So, why a low rating? good question. Lets see....... 1. Bugs Everywhere. If you think the world in Skyrim is Big, you must see its bug list. Even trying to make it run is painful. Dragon fly backward, NPCs unable to left a room, problemsI really tried to like this game. I played it for 20 hours or more. I set the graphics to ULTRA and they are good. The character creation seems good too. So, why a low rating? good question. Lets see....... 1. Bugs Everywhere. If you think the world in Skyrim is Big, you must see its bug list. Even trying to make it run is painful. Dragon fly backward, NPCs unable to left a room, problems with sound, etc... 2. Sandbox. I know, thats good sometimes but nor for a RPG, I really want a motivation for my character!. 3. Inventory. Do you want a game to spend 30% of your time looking for your stuff? I don't. 4. Weight. This game has a lot of items to build. Armors, Weapons, potions. But your character cant carry the "ingredients" because everything is too heavy. Even the flowers. 5. Menus. Everything is designed for Xbox. You don't want that on your PC. 6. Too easy. Troll regeneration: check, invincible NPCs to help you: check, dull A.I.: check. Oh, talking about NPCs... 7. Empty "party" NPCs . They dont chat with you, they dont have a life, they just fight everything you fight. So far from Minsc, Jan Jansen , even that mute guy from Out of this World. 8. Price. Why is so expensive when I can find good games cheaper? In the end, this game seems so good but is not fun. It has not soul. Was designed just to earn a few (or a lot of) bucks, not for the greatness. Expand
  52. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    This is not really a "review", more like a warning label. Please regard it as such.
    For anyone downloading this game and expecting to play: don't. I did, and was rewarded by having to sit on a carriage for 14 minutes listening to an infodump-style exposition with name after name after name. I was unable to move. Then I was treated to watching an execution. Then I was told to climb some stairs and found that my character could not do that.
    I'm sure there are those who say that this was a rewarding experience, or that I should wait to earn actually playing. Good for you. For those who are like me and want a game that one can actually play from the start: forget Skyrim. Score ZERO.
  53. Apr 6, 2012
    It has some interesting concepts, but it's absolutely overhyped. Its bugs that prohibit gameplay keep it from being more than a 4/10. Bethesda has a long track record of bugs, and Skyrim is absolutely no exception. This is, in no way, worth $60 for a short game that offers little replayability, and very little enjoyment due to bugs and glitches.
  54. Jun 18, 2012
    To be generous, the first 4-5 hours as the game started I enjoyed immensely. I would have given a 9 if the rest of the game remained consistently fun. But it isn't so. I've never really like the floaty combat system in other TES games, but on this entry it's more obnoxious than ever because enemies hardly ever react to you attacks. They added "kill animations" to spice up the fightingTo be generous, the first 4-5 hours as the game started I enjoyed immensely. I would have given a 9 if the rest of the game remained consistently fun. But it isn't so. I've never really like the floaty combat system in other TES games, but on this entry it's more obnoxious than ever because enemies hardly ever react to you attacks. They added "kill animations" to spice up the fighting aspect, but they are just cutscenes of your character pulling off some cool move. You're not fighting the enemy anymore, you're just watching your character fight essentially. The first town you arrive at is a welcome beginning. You believe every character has a personality, unique voice & their own special problems that you can help fix. Until you go on to the next village or city and realize that almost all of the same voice actors were recycled for everybody else. Every smith has the same voice, every bard is a blonde womanizer with the annoying voice actor from Tak and the Power of Juju, almost every shopkeeper has the same male/female voice & they all think that "they have the finest goods in Skyrim" and "some people may call this junk, but me I call them treasure." Also every single guard in the entire game has the same male/femal voice, and my god do they sound mental. From the very beginning, the graphics made me very wary. The far scenery is sometimes beautiful, but when taking a closer look, textures & character animations can be worse than Morrowind ( which was made almost a decade ago!). There certainly is massive amounts of content, which I tried to explore over the time of about 80 hours of gameplay. But over half of the content is recycled "fetch this/kill that" quests with no depth or sense of urgency or accomplishment. The smithing & enchanting system is ridiculously broken, allowing you to become wholly overpowered within 5 hours of spamming iron daggers and enchanting them. This also makes exploring & adventuring obselete, because you will never find anything better than what you've already smithed and enchanted at level 10. Some cities/holds are massive & beautiful, but only inhabit about 20-25 NPC's. So it feels like a glorious ghost town, and you can't even engage with some of them; so it just feels like their taking up space. And nobody besides those involved in the main quest seem to be concerned that fearsome, deathly dragons are terrorizing Skyrim. And even when you finish the main questline or a certain guild, no one remembers you for it. Guards & NPC's will still harrass & criticize you even after saving skyrim from total destruction. So you also feel like your character is taking up space, because you make no visible impact upon the world. The only quest line I somewhat enjoyed was the Theives Guild, but it was still short and required a lot of tedious extra jobs to do in between. All of the dungeons, caves, and castles are only slightly varied from the next and really give no incentive to explore because you will encounter the same enemies and the same worthless loot. There certainly is no character development, because for some reason, you're only given 1-3 dialouge choices. It doesn't matter what you choose to say, the conversation will always end the same. They also made the quest system too easy, essentially holding your hand throughout the entire game because there is an arrow that tells you exactly what to do & where to go. There is no mystery or real challenge. The game really just degenerated to a virtual walk in a park (literally & metaphorically). The only thing I enjoyed in the end was the scenery. Expand
  55. Oct 14, 2014
    Just as Oblivion, Skyrim is a huge step back in RPG design.
    CON:
    1. The attributes system has been completely ditched and streamlined for the casual crowd. 2. The GPS compass hand holding arrow is even worse than in Oblivion and you can literally skip through all the dialogues, shut off your brain and let the arrow guide you through already simplistic quests. My 6 year old kid managed
    Just as Oblivion, Skyrim is a huge step back in RPG design.
    CON:
    2. The GPS compass hand holding arrow is even worse than in Oblivion and you can literally skip through all the dialogues, shut off your brain and let the arrow guide you through already simplistic quests. My 6 year old kid managed to finish this game within a month, and he can't even read for crying out loud.
    3. Vast majority of Quests all boil down to go to X, kill whatever stands in your way, grab Y and come back or deliver it to some other guy. I have played MMOs with better quest design and I cannot believe how horrible this aspect of the game is.
    4. The beauty of Elder Scrolls games usually came from playing any kind of character you can imagine. But even that has been removed in Skyrim. Do you want to play a warrior that can't do magic? Sorry cant, because you start the game with some basic magic spells. Want to play a mage who is inept at using melee weapons? Sorry cant, because Bethesda wants you to be able to be proficient at everything at whim. Want to play a dumb and strong orc who is too bulky and clumsy to sneak? Cant, because streamlining the game requires all races to be equally smart, equally agile, equally strong, etc... *sigh*
    5. AI is horrible, combat is repetitive and not challenging. The dragons are too weak in comparison to the lore surrounding them.
    6. Dialogues are horrendous. Majority of NPCs are voice acted just by few voice actors, while dialogue options are very limited. NPCs seem oblivious to your actions and you are basically just asking questions when in dialogue.
    7. Story is very generic and there are no choices and consequences beyond the binary choose your side in a civil war.
    8. World is again badly designed with one big city in the center of the map and roads encircling it and leading to other smaller towns. Luckily there are a bit more mountains in Skyrim then in Oblivion, but the world is still way too easy to navigate and you will never get lost like it could happen in Morrowind.

PRO:
    1. Huge and beautiful world.
    2. Dragons
    3. Modding

Final remarks:
    A bland, generic, uninspired, dumbed down and lazy game which will again have to resolve to the modding community to actually fix all the problems.
  56. Nov 14, 2011
    This game doesn't deserve all the credit it gets. It's got some real issues that hold it back. Granted, It's leaps and bounds better then its failure of a predecessor, the game is held back by horrendously poor AI, graphic issues, interface issues with the mouse, bad unit collision detail and melee combat that is lacking. The saving grace for this game? The graphics are above average ifThis game doesn't deserve all the credit it gets. It's got some real issues that hold it back. Granted, It's leaps and bounds better then its failure of a predecessor, the game is held back by horrendously poor AI, graphic issues, interface issues with the mouse, bad unit collision detail and melee combat that is lacking. The saving grace for this game? The graphics are above average if run on max settings, its demands aren't very high, so that's an easy reach for most PC's. But even still, the game's graphics are too dark to really shine anywhere. I guess the only fun I had in this game was cheating with console commands; decimating the cities, running my horse up a 90 degree mountain cliff and beating the AI out of fair fights with abusing the smallest of obstacles. It's definitely not worth full price. Wait until it drops to the 20 mark. Expand
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    One of the most overrated games of 2012. Decent graphics, but very boring after a few hours. Very thin storyline, characters which barely say anything, bunch of generic quests and a bucketload of bugs. Reading the critic reviews you'd think this was the best game ever, did they even play past 5 hours?
  58. Jun 4, 2013
    The important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of theThe important thing to remember before you purchase this game, is that it is the exact same game experience as Morrowind and Oblivion. If you eventually got tired of how repetitive those games were, you will probably not get much value out of this game. The one thing this game does offer is tons of repetitious quests, creatures, dungeons, and scenery. You can really feel the age of the basic gameplay system and interactions when you compare it to modern games like Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

I do not recommend a purchase unless its at bargain prices or you are completely new to Elder Scrolls.
  59. Nov 18, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls series is like The Matrix, started off strong, then went into a decline into bad. Arena? Awesome. Daggerfall? Amazing. Morrowind? One of the best games ever made. Oblivion? Okay. Skyrim? BAD. No more rpg for us! No more Classes, no more guilds that effect the world's opinion of you if you join. No more Worth while quests! No more meaning full characters! No more meaningThe Elder Scrolls series is like The Matrix, started off strong, then went into a decline into bad. Arena? Awesome. Daggerfall? Amazing. Morrowind? One of the best games ever made. Oblivion? Okay. Skyrim? BAD. No more rpg for us! No more Classes, no more guilds that effect the world's opinion of you if you join. No more Worth while quests! No more meaning full characters! No more meaning full ANYTHING! It isn't all bad, but most of it is. I feel like they reused the same voice actor for each race, Nords all sound the same, all Khajjit sound the same! I feel like when I open this game bugs will crawl out because that is what this game is full of. Falling through ground, crashes, freezes, sound issues, FPS issues, AI issues, this game is full of it. Example:
    There are these things called dragon priest masks, one of them is the 'wooden mask' this is essential to getting the main mask which will make you character amazing. Well you wanna know what? My wooden mask fell through the ground and now I can't get it! I can't get the awesome mask, great.
    Is there meaning full choices throughout this game? NOPE! The only choice you get is "StormCloaks or Empire" which you want? This doesn't affect the world if you choose one and do all of the quests for them! This game tries to give the illusion that it has choices but it has none! Do you remember the rock hard difficulty of the first three games? That is gone! The highest setting is 'Legendary' but this makes you die in two hit, and your enemy die in a million! The thing that made this first three hard was that it was fair! The menus in this game are unfriendly. The story sucks, never do you feel emotion, like in say Mass Effect, or feel like your talking to real people, like in say Deus Ex. The boss battles in this game are a joke! Just have a healing spell in one hand and a sword in the other. I do like this kind of but this doesn't hinder your combat any, just you can't block. Think if you had a spell in one hand you fighting ability would decrease, that would be awesome. What do I like of this game? It is fun to steal things, and kill a bunch of people in town. But this is something I didn't like, you can't kill story characters... Because of a AI engine that has people doing their daily routine. Oblivion had the same thing but I think that in Oblivion you could kill story characters after the story.
    I don't like this game, it is a sad disgrace to man kind. It isn't good, not even okay. It may not be the worst game of 2011 but it is one of the worst.
    Don't buy this game, please. Like I said it isn't the worst thing ever but it still sucks. It is below below average (Below average being Four), so it is bad. Nowhere near something like Daikatana or Ghost Busters for nes but it still sucks.

I will leave it at that.
  60. Sep 4, 2014
    Commercial, commercial, commercial, once more commercial.... And game is MEGA simplified in relation to Morrowind, even Oblivion...

Bad things (more of them, so I will start with them): #Combat system - one of the worst that Ive seen in RPGs. Melee is just button masher with cluncky animations, slow, unintuitive and boring, shield/weapon bashing make it even worse, and Dragons are

Bad things (more of them, so I will start with them):

#Combat system - one of the worst that Ive seen in RPGs. Melee is just button masher with cluncky animations, slow, unintuitive and boring, shield/weapon bashing make it even worse, and Dragons are just dissapointing... Just no depth here in combat....
    #World and its design - empty world without depth, even worse towns, after some hours there is no motivation to explore, just boring... Some creatures and its design here are really awesome, but you can only count it on fingers of one hand, and where da hell are Daedra Creatures or Oblivion Planes?.... World is just generic designed, once again boring, developers dont care about world detailing....
    #Story/Side quests - I just dont want to go with story forward after some main quests, there are too many generic and boring side quests, some guild quests are interesting, but not many of them...
    #Character development - who simplified it? No statistics? Its just self KO, status bars, skills and perks system is just bad, and not interesting, one of the worst leveling system...
    #Gameplay - controls and travelling around is well done, but bad combat system, overall world boringness and overpowered crafting makes it not so appealing and boring again...
    #RANDOMNESS OF THE GAME! NO DEPTH IN GAME/ATMOSPERE!

So lets go on with good things:

#Music - some of the tracks are godly-great and memorable,
    #Some weapons and armor design - some models are very worth looking on it,
    #Legendary difficulty with patch added - its really cool try, but game mechanics and combat is that bad, that it only gives some tiny little more enjoyment....
    #Crafting - its some innovative step forward, but it too overpowered, anyway overall is good addition,
    #Open world/Freedom - world is bad, but freedom is usually a plus,
    #Modding support - cool feature, as always tons of mods, but none of them fixes real problems of the game....

Game was a real dissapointment to me. Bethesda gone in wrong way in creating their games, and made game without depth or any atmosphere, broken game mechanics and its just boring... Expansions dont helps here sadly... 3/10, because of some positive tryies.... Commercials breaks many games today sadly... (DS2, im looking at you!)
  61. Apr 26, 2015
    Designed to bleed as much money as possible. Best selling Bethesda title of all time, primarily thanks to modders. Wants to take profits from their work because they screwed up TESO: makes Skyrim a money making scheme off of other people's work. Game is ruined, stay clear.
  62. Nov 18, 2011
    I really want to like this game I really do. But the UI on the PC is just horrendous. No modern PC game should ship with a 100% console UI and awful support for keyboard and mouse. All kinds of performance issues, I had a game stopping issue that took 4 days and a user fix to make the game playable.

Once I was able to play the game, with an xbox controller mind you, It was a lot of fun. It is a very atmospheric game and is a whole lot of fun when you can play it. Getting to play it is the obstacle on the PC however.

Here is to hoping the patch will fix these issues, if so I would have no issues giving this game a 8. But the UI has to be fixed.
  63. Mar 7, 2012
    I am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do peopleI am completely disappointed in this game (more than 200 hours played, lots of quest and other things done, seen, and tested). Its showing how gaming looks nowadays. Everything needs to be noobed. Consoles are taking over everything. The Elder Scrolls was PC series, but Skyrim is not PC anymore, its some damn console arcade crap port. Its has good graphic, and what else..? Why do people praise this game as masterpiece? Its a disaster! After fair Oblivion, I have been expecting more of a Morrowind game from another TES Titule. They got rid so many things from this game that 5000 character limit is not enough to write about all of them. The worst thing in Skyrim is that its console game, wich was released on PC just to get more money out of it. I cant stand the damn interface, fcking scrolling up/down/left/right, the one in Oblivion was perfect! Its just so simple now, there are no details, just like the game itself. Its empty. In oblivion for example, we could view everything in player menu - Guilds, factions, ranks, everything was there. What do we have in Skyrim? There is nothing. You join a guild, and thats all. You cant check your status in it, your rank, nothing. They made this game some action adventure now. With "instant" health and magicka regen + retarded perk selection. I hope that Bethesda will get nuked for releasing such thing. TES is dead. Im a PC player, and I demand PC game. Mouse + keyboard, I dont give a fck about consoles. There should be few type of this game. One for PC built especially for it, and others for consoles. Everyone would be happy. Dont tell me there are mods to change things, I know it, but if I buy a product I expect it to be the way I expect it to be. Expand
  64. Mar 10, 2012
    Bethesda continues to re-release Daggerfall with fewer features and better graphics. I could talk at length about the boring combat, the poor levelling system, the stupid quest lines, the horrendous UI, the gruelling first two hours of play and other flaws but I could forgive all of that if Bethesda learned to write a single interesting character. Everything about the characters from theirBethesda continues to re-release Daggerfall with fewer features and better graphics. I could talk at length about the boring combat, the poor levelling system, the stupid quest lines, the horrendous UI, the gruelling first two hours of play and other flaws but I could forgive all of that if Bethesda learned to write a single interesting character. Everything about the characters from their voice acting and dialogue trees to the way we see them interacting is just plain boring. It's really hard to give a damn about the world when it's populated by soulless robots and the combat/grinding experience just isn't good enough to redeem the terrible world building.

Skyrim is nothing but a fad and whilst there aren't many things I can point to as being physically painful there really is no reason to play this game. Props to Bethesda's marketing department.
  65. Dec 24, 2012
    how does this game have a 94 rating?
    it's horribly boring. i struggled to play for 12 hours, and was honestly bored out of my mind from hours 2-12. The only time that i really enjoyed skyrim was the first 15 minutes while i was creating my character.
    how does this game have a 94 rating?

the combat is clunky and horribly out-dated. you aim with your mouse and left-click to swing your sword. in 1997 i played a game with the exact same controls. the physics are horrible. you cant interact with, smash, push, pull, or break anything. while walking around you spontaneously stumble off of 3 centimeter hills and fall to your death while simultaneously being able to ride your horse up 90 degree slopes. how can a 2011 game not have multiplayer? the game is like pamela anderson: beautiful on the outside, but full of hepatitis, plastic, and other unmentionable things on the inside.
  66. Jan 4, 2013
    This is based on roughly 40 hours of experience, the price, and I am no long addicted to this game, I lost all interest in it. I will probably never play this game again. I bought this game because of all the hype, the story is cool the type of enemies are really cool, the story is fascinating, exploring is amazing!!! Why did I rate this game so low? Because of the weaponry, armor sets,This is based on roughly 40 hours of experience, the price, and I am no long addicted to this game, I lost all interest in it. I will probably never play this game again. I bought this game because of all the hype, the story is cool the type of enemies are really cool, the story is fascinating, exploring is amazing!!! Why did I rate this game so low? Because of the weaponry, armor sets, (melee) combat, bugs, and it's butchering of loot. I don't even know why people praised this game, the new RPG standard in games is A LOT OF LOOT!!! This game will NOT give you that, it's system is terrible, predictable and unlike other Bethesda games(fallout for example) You aren't rewarded for exploring much, if you do find an upgrade it's not an "AWESOME" Moment it's "DUH, I knew I'd get something like that". I play A LOT of RPG's, dead island, kingdoms or amalur, Fallout, the list goes on. They give you satisfaction when you loot, it's like you stare at it for a good 20+ seconds, it's fun! This game, nah. Basically :
    I Payed 30 dollars for skyrim(50% sale) Thank god I didn't pay the 60! This game is great, if you enjoy graphics(Character graphics/animations are kind of terrible) Reading books, not much more benefits I can say other than that. Comparing to other RPG's of the same company, or just in general. This game has more quantity, than quality when it comes to submersing you into it. I'd recommend fallout:new vegas over skyrim. 10,20$? For New vegas, New vegas has much more bugs, however telling you from 250 hours of experience(and still haven't beaten the game) Exploring is so much more enjoyable! I Spent most of the time and story line exploring instead of questing. Skyrim all you really buy this game for is to reading books, not really much more. This is my first taste of elder scrolls and I will never go back to it.
  67. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A poorly thought out and written main story is the thing that killed this game for me. Kill a dragon get a point for voice stuff and only voice stuff....... Read a scroll for the storyline and get a point or have someone teach it to you......
    Overall a game that could have been good if they had invested in hiring a decent writer.....
  68. Jun 30, 2014
    Not sure what all the fuss is about this game. At best it's "ok", but it's certainly NOT the OMGWTFBBQBEST. GAME. EVAH. But hey, apparently 5000+ kids who haven't played more than 5 games in their lives think it's the best thing since hot pockets, so bethesda gets a favorable rating and they think they're doing great things.

The only thing this game has going for it is the graphics -

The only thing this game has going for it is the graphics - and I mean the skins and textures only, the modelling is horrible. But even then, there's almost no color to the world, you're hunting and fighting grey/brown enemies in a grey/brown/black world. I get that the game is supposed to look bleak, but it just ends up looking very bad and gets tiring on the eyes after a while.

The UI is very minimalistic and awkward, and the combat is slow, choppy, awkward, and very unsmooth. it's also not very compelling, it starts off slow and doesn't have that pull in any direction that makes you want to do anything in particular like good games do.

I think a lot of the high ratings are just reactions to the hype or written by "critics" who played for 5 minutes and were wowed by sexy graphics, this game is definitely not one of the best games ever.
  69. Apr 26, 2015
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda are now "servicing" PAID mods to gamers. The mod creators themselves only take 25% from it. These modders are "self-employed". Bethesda and Valve are not legally bound to these people. Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source of revenue, exploiting both gamers and modders for their hard work.

Nevermind modding was about enjoying your time with the game, having fun and giving back to the community. Now it's a business. Serious business. It involves money, trademarks and possible litigation over ownership of intellectual property.

Bethesda can now rely on modders to work for a pittance while cashing in the profits, at the same time avoiding ALL legal issues if there are ANY problems with said mods. Modders are on their own.

Bethesda is taking pretty much half of the profit, and modders (who are not employees, thus Bethesda doesn't owe them anything) are left to dry in the sand. No rights, no protection.

And if you think 25% is bad, you're not taking taxes into account. It's worse than bad.
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    The game is awful without mods. Mods are going to be behind a pay wall. 0/10

Boycott $team Work$hop. Don't support bad business practices. Don't give Bethesda or Valve your money.
  71. Nov 16, 2011
    The overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game wouldThe overall impression - a single player MMORPG. Flat and predictable storyline, boring unremarkable characters, uninspiring dialogs, repetitive quests (quantity over quality). Combat mechanics are dull - enemy has too much health and hits too hard? Just kite it around while your mana regenerates. I'm not gonna mention all the technical flaws, because that I could excuse, if the game would be any bit exciting. Expand
  72. Nov 18, 2011
    I remembered playing oblivion after 150 or so hours of playing i wanted more this game not only kept the things i loved about its predecessor but added new things that expands the enjoyment of the game for me.
    Bethseda deserves a medal the graphics are not that much better than oblivion but makes up for it in other areas most of the glitches that annoyed me in oblivion are gone
    a down side
    a down side is the attack sometimes it feels as if you are striking into thin air also in oblivion but that doesn't bother me that much i love this game and i have to go i must play some more skyrim :).
  73. Nov 14, 2012
    Piontless boring crap. Everything an RPG should not be. Never ending aimless wandering around vast areas just hoping for that small grasp of exitement to come your way to make the previous 40 mins of aimless wandering worth it. You can talk to basicaly any npc you come accross and 99% of the time the communication is completely piontless, eg a farmer telling you about his latest crop yieldPiontless boring crap. Everything an RPG should not be. Never ending aimless wandering around vast areas just hoping for that small grasp of exitement to come your way to make the previous 40 mins of aimless wandering worth it. You can talk to basicaly any npc you come accross and 99% of the time the communication is completely piontless, eg a farmer telling you about his latest crop yield or some similar irrevelevant information. COMBAT IS A DISGRACE, two hands sticking out in front of you that swing swords or magic from like some kind of wooden spoon that your mother used to smack you with when you where a child. I cannot comprehend how people could possibly rate this game highly, i think the only logical explanation is that sadly gaming studios are producing games for the "masses" now like hollywood is doing with its movies eg transformers, shrek, spiderman ect.........unfortunately I think the masses of there target audiences are young kids who do not want well thought out intelligent complicated games, they want crap like skyrim and other similar rubbish. Expand
  74. Jun 21, 2013
    The game has this horribly persistent "Failed to initialize renderer" problem that keeps it from starting. No one really knows how to solve it. So much for actually playing it. It might actually be good.
  75. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. ThisSkyrim truly is a great game with unlimited possibilities...when you have mods freely available. Without mods the game is subpar in all areas, and the recent paywall mod idea has destroyed the very reason for buying this game. Not only that, but they are on the path to destroying the entire concept of what a mod is- a modification done by a hobbyist and turning it into micro-dlc. This leads to modders not wanting to share their source materials and tips/tricks that could aid less experienced mod. From sharing to a paywalled modding community.

Skyrim truly has shot an arrow into their own knees with this paidmods move.
  76. Mar 25, 2012
    Thid game is between HOrriblivion and Morrowind.
    History and plot wise it is quite weak average, 5
    Gameplay wise its merely a port from 360 so it lacks a lot, 2 Sound wise its good, 8 Grafic wise its past mediocre, 6 UI its total port useless to PC, 2 Exploring, as usual, 10 Character development bad, awesomely bas and anounced horrible since the start, but it s even worse, 1, Overall the
    Thid game is between HOrriblivion and Morrowind.
    History and plot wise it is quite weak average, 5
    Gameplay wise its merely a port from 360 so it lacks a lot, 2
    Sound wise its good, 8
    Grafic wise its past mediocre, 6
    UI its total port useless to PC, 2
    Exploring, as usual, 10

Overall the game becaome shallow too fast, extremely repetitive, simplistic,
  77. Dec 28, 2011
    So very poor for an Elder Scrolls Game.

It has almost no progression in terms of the game world or gameplay. Besides dual spells and weapons, the game has not improved at all over 5 years. -The world is still filled with static carts and stupid AI bleating garbage at you. The game world is as immersive as a town of Lego sadly. -The graphics are damn right ugly and terrible for current
    So very poor for an Elder Scrolls Game.

-The graphics are damn right ugly and terrible for current PC's.
    -PC support is beyond a joke and why I gave this such a low score - the fps is cpu capped! Yes, seriously! How stupid and absurd could things be for a game?! The game is clearly not built for computers and is another cheap console port.
    -The memory usage is also capped at 1GB so I hope you don't like mods otherwise the game will crash to desktop every few minutes
  78. Feb 6, 2012
    I didn't play a worse game. This game is totally stupid, overhyped and bad graphics. I've played it only 1 and half an hour, but this game makes me fockin' sick. Just delete this stupid game from the world.
  79. Feb 26, 2012
    **** I don't want to review a game after 2 hours of playing it, but i don't have stomach to play this any longer. I can't understand how can any company make a game with 100+ hours of content, but totally fail at UI. Most of those 100 hours you spend searching for items in totally **** up inventory. Shortcuts and using spells is another tragedy. Never seen a worse console port. Some can**** I don't want to review a game after 2 hours of playing it, but i don't have stomach to play this any longer. I can't understand how can any company make a game with 100+ hours of content, but totally fail at UI. Most of those 100 hours you spend searching for items in totally **** up inventory. Shortcuts and using spells is another tragedy. Never seen a worse console port. Some can say there are mods now that fix this, but i don't want mods, i want complete game from the company, not modders. World is open, but there are hardly any interesting places at all. Dialogues feel like being made by a 12y child. No epicness, no intelligence, nothing at all. Your character is boring, you can't give a **** about him. The choice of race hardly matters to you or the environment. As long as ppl worship crappy games like these, there is no future for gaming. Expand
  80. May 29, 2012
    Storytelling and quests in this game are insult to intelligence! I don' understand how people can not see this? Only thing that is big in this game is map!
  81. Jun 13, 2012
    Obviously made for the XBox and ported to PS3 and PC the graphics on this game are sub par at best, PC controls are nearly unplayable, Filled with bugs, and offers virtually no challenge to a seasoned gamer. All Bethesda seems to do with these game is pile as many little side quests in it as possible so you can feel like you are getting a lot from your money. The truth is you're gettingObviously made for the XBox and ported to PS3 and PC the graphics on this game are sub par at best, PC controls are nearly unplayable, Filled with bugs, and offers virtually no challenge to a seasoned gamer. All Bethesda seems to do with these game is pile as many little side quests in it as possible so you can feel like you are getting a lot from your money. The truth is you're getting an over rated, under developed game instead. Expand
  82. May 16, 2013
    Only redeeming factor about this game is the soundtrack and countless mods. The developers released a broken product with countless bugs and errors; leaving it up to the community to finish the game for them. With that said, this game isn't my cup of tea. Sure the atmosphere is very inspiring, and the combat is enjoyable.

However the lore, story, characters, spells, UI, and just about

However the lore, story, characters, spells, UI, and just about nearly everything else is uninspiring and bland. There is really no incentive to continue playing after finishing the main story, the remaining portions of the game are generic in every way.
  83. May 26, 2013
    Skyrim would've been a great game if it was in the rightful set of hands that truly had the compassion for the Elders Scrolls series. The concept of Skyrim is great, but was very poorly executed. The A.I is terrible. I thought I was in a world where I was surrounded by people who were lobotomized. The animations were poorly done. The followers are useless. Instead of them helping me out ISkyrim would've been a great game if it was in the rightful set of hands that truly had the compassion for the Elders Scrolls series. The concept of Skyrim is great, but was very poorly executed. The A.I is terrible. I thought I was in a world where I was surrounded by people who were lobotomized. The animations were poorly done. The followers are useless. Instead of them helping me out I found myself helping them out because they were being slaughtered by the enemies. Theirs simply not enough control over them. The bugs and glitches are migraine creators, and some can impact quests to which you're unable to complete. Don't bother to ask how to fix it on Bethesda's official help forums because the staffs are way to busy on other things rather than to help you with your technical support needs. On April 15, 2013 Bethesda announced that they're no longer releasing DLCs therefor leaving us with unanswered questions.. Who's the next ruler of Skyrim? What is the deal with the Thalmor? those two are the main ones that needs to be answered. Skyrim needs a well deserve ending, not to be shafted. The Storyline was OK, but not great. I know kids who can create a better story then what was presented to us. The price of this game was outrageous. NOT worth it IMO. Skyrim is an incomplete beta project that should've never been release to the public. Without mods this game would be terrible. The menu's were designed for Xbox users, not PC. Without mods this game would be unbearable to play. I'm very concern for the next Elders scrolls game under Bethesda control. Expand
  84. Aug 10, 2013
    The game is not an RPG. None of the choices you make matter. You can kill the emperor and join the imperial army. You can be the Arch-Mage of the college of winterhold while the only spell you've ever cast in your life is a lesser ward. You kill Alduin, the big bad dragon that for whatever reason wants to end the world and forces the dragons to attack, nobody cares and the dragons keepThe game is not an RPG. None of the choices you make matter. You can kill the emperor and join the imperial army. You can be the Arch-Mage of the college of winterhold while the only spell you've ever cast in your life is a lesser ward. You kill Alduin, the big bad dragon that for whatever reason wants to end the world and forces the dragons to attack, nobody cares and the dragons keep attacking, eventhough they've all cheered you when you've killed him. This game is just an action adventure game, an Elder Scrolls game simulator, if you will. Expand
  85. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought the game reading all the positive reviews and playing dishonored(another Bethesda studios game). But after playing it i find it hugely overrated. There is nothing in this game. The graphics are slack, story pretty ordinary. All you'll do is roam from one city to another and fetch some souvenir. Certainly not worth the time. Expand
  86. Apr 26, 2015
    A once loved game that now includes paid modding,encourages modders to steal from one another and threats consumers like cash cows.

All that so Bethesda and Valve can take their 75% cut of the pie.

Do not support this anti-consumer ***
  87. Nov 12, 2011
    My friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvementsMy friends and I(7 of us altogether) went out yesterday to pick up our CE pre orders for Skyrim. 3 hours only 1 of us was able to get the game running past load up simply because they were running on an older version of windows. Blatant console port with terrible mouse acceleration in menues, derpy animations for EVERYTHING, physics is retarded because they haven't made any improvements since Oblivion, buggy and boring combat and an ok story but even that's generic. Skyrim on PC gets a zero because the game doesn't like loading up and I've already exchanged it for the PS3 version. And I doubt Bethesda will do anything for the numerous bugs in the game, instead they'll once again, let the community do their work Expand
  88. Nov 23, 2011
    As a console game, it might be acceptable. As a PC game (and an RPG with great heritage to boost) it is like a bad joke. I was able to "play" it for about 20 minutes before giving up due to the horrendous GUI system obviously ported from consoles. Hello Bethesda, I have a MOUSE connected to my computer! Can I use it for anything besides looking around? No? That's too bad... because withoutAs a console game, it might be acceptable. As a PC game (and an RPG with great heritage to boost) it is like a bad joke. I was able to "play" it for about 20 minutes before giving up due to the horrendous GUI system obviously ported from consoles. Hello Bethesda, I have a MOUSE connected to my computer! Can I use it for anything besides looking around? No? That's too bad... because without a mouse managing inventory and doing other tasks is a big pain, a big, time-consuming pain.
    The graphics look absolutely disgusting. While graphics in Oblivion seemed a bit outdated, this is completely disgusting. I even heard a developer or who was it, talking about "improved graphics" in a video. I did not know that "improved" meant making everything look like it was made out of plastic. Resolution of textures is terrible, everything is muddy, murky, without life. And the game mechanics at the beginning seemed like Call of Duty without guns. I do not know if the story is good because I simply could not force myself to play it with such terrible controls and disgusting graphics. One thing is to create dated graphics and something different is to create graphics so disgusting that it deters from playing the game itself.
    If you do not mind the graphics and console controls, you can give it a try but I would not expect much from it anyway.
  89. HD3
    Dec 16, 2011
    Skyrim has two major strengths ; you can wander anywhere at almost any time and kill almost anything you find there and you have a huge number of sidequests available to you. Outside of that the game has a lot of flaws which everyone seems to be a little too willing to overlook. Character development is almost universally absent and plot never delves much deeper than prophecised hero slaysSkyrim has two major strengths ; you can wander anywhere at almost any time and kill almost anything you find there and you have a huge number of sidequests available to you. Outside of that the game has a lot of flaws which everyone seems to be a little too willing to overlook. Character development is almost universally absent and plot never delves much deeper than prophecised hero slays ancient evil. Even the civil war arc which is intitally established as a major feature of the game's world remains largely stagnant, save for Imperial or Stormcloak troops replacing the local militia after certain quests.
    The copy and paste enviroments aren't quite as bad as Oblivion but still enough that you can see some of the days where the developers weren't at their best. The biggest problem is the combat however. If you're going to play Skyrim, go with a mage, because melee combat, particularly if you use a two hand weapon, rarely amounts to more than mashing w/e key you've assigned your sword/mace/dagger etc to until the thing you were aiming at is dead. If you are looking for a game that satisfies wanderlust and affords great flexibility, you'll enjoy Skyrim. If you're looking a tight engaging story and well developed combat systems, look elsewhere.
  90. Mar 4, 2012
    This game is so boring! nothing to do.. walking around doing random thinks...
    Go play runescape! its free and of the same quality of this ****
    so overrated just like mario, cod, zelda, halo and ****
  91. Mar 11, 2012
    Average Gameplay. Expect to "click to swing" alot. This is no Witcher. Below average graphics due to a poor console port. Below average controls due to a poor console port. Lack of multiplayer (even coop), which is cute for a sandbox rpg in 2011...wait, that's not cute, that's sad. Overall an average yet dated game held back ever further by the fact it's a poor port. I don'tAverage Gameplay. Expect to "click to swing" alot. This is no Witcher. Below average graphics due to a poor console port. Below average controls due to a poor console port. Lack of multiplayer (even coop), which is cute for a sandbox rpg in 2011...wait, that's not cute, that's sad. Overall an average yet dated game held back ever further by the fact it's a poor port. I don't recommend purchasing unless you are an oblivian fan boy, very lonely, or just don't play alot of games like this, in which case, you will probably foam at the mouth with misdirected bethesda love. Expand
  92. May 5, 2012
    Advantages: 1. Fresh storyline. 2. Nice landscapes and one breathtaking, huuuuge cave. 3. Nice animations. Disadvantages: 1. Becomes boring after a few hours. 2. Morrowind was more interesting, attractive and mysterious. 3. Fewer and fewer skills etc. makes it too simple. 4. Too easy (every character, also wrong-trained can easily finish almost every quest). 5. Bad skill balance (stealthAdvantages: 1. Fresh storyline. 2. Nice landscapes and one breathtaking, huuuuge cave. 3. Nice animations. Disadvantages: 1. Becomes boring after a few hours. 2. Morrowind was more interesting, attractive and mysterious. 3. Fewer and fewer skills etc. makes it too simple. 4. Too easy (every character, also wrong-trained can easily finish almost every quest). 5. Bad skill balance (stealth and short blade is much stronger that the most powerful magic). 6. I had an impression that 80% of games music was Morrowind remakes and remixes. 7. Too little variety of... everything? 8. Console-like interface (irritating as hell!). 9. Bugs, bugs, buuuuugs! 10. ... and chips with cola to crown it all. Expand
  93. Jul 20, 2012
    Skyrim is truly an awful game, there's no reward for anything you do, it's just countless repetitive **** stacked one after another, quest after quest, fight after fight. Skyrim has no direction what soever, the game throws you into a world where all you can do is put 100's of hours into it and get hideously overpowered for no beneficial reason at all. It's a game for children, not aSkyrim is truly an awful game, there's no reward for anything you do, it's just countless repetitive **** stacked one after another, quest after quest, fight after fight. Skyrim has no direction what soever, the game throws you into a world where all you can do is put 100's of hours into it and get hideously overpowered for no beneficial reason at all. It's a game for children, not a professionally made PC game. Period. Expand
  94. Sep 12, 2014
    Probably the most overrated game made within the last 5 years. I like the open world. I like how there's many different leveling paths for both crafting skills and combat skills split up into different trees so that doing just about anything counts towards leveling in some way, it's a unique and refreshing system.
    Sadly, everything else about this game sucks. The combat sucks. The dialogs
    Sadly, everything else about this game sucks. The combat sucks. The dialogs suck. The quests and many of the things you can do either suck or are not interesting. I think the fault to the story is that it's just not told very well, so it's very hard to get into it. Another problem, is that coming off of playing WoW for years, I feel like there should be more interaction within an open world like this, however it's nonexistent.
    The combat is also very bad, and I'll give an example from when I started playing:
    I just started the game and am wandering around after getting outside while my brother is watching. See a giant, decide I'm going to go kill it. My brother says, "No, it's way too high level, you'll get killed." Despite this claim, I kite the giant around shooting lighting at it, since I'm a magic user, after taking 20 or so minutes finally kill it. I say, "Not so threatening now huh?"
    The combat never gets more complicated than hit things with combat skill and they eventually die, it's very one-dimensional and makes the combat uninteresting.
    Unfortunately, because of all these things, I couldn't finish Skyrim because I became bored of it. On top of that it feels like it should be an MMO, however even compared to WoW it makes for a weak MMO because WoW has a really good combat system.
  95. Apr 26, 2015
    The base game is fairly flat and modding is the heart of the game - which now is being compromised by Bethesda. Game companies always benefited from user generated content - by extending the longevity and replay value for the user and sales even years after launch for the devs.

Now Bethesda decided to double dip by commercializing mods and taking a major cut of mod sales which leaves only 25% to the content creator.

In my opinion this is a lose-lose situation for modders and players - and the only winners are valve and game companies.
  96. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods aren't that bad? Over-exaggerating? Let me paint you a picture of the future if we let this go through.

TES6 and Fallout4 get released as an Early Access $60 title on Steam with exclusive Pre-Order Bonuses, Season Pass 1, Season Pass 2, an exclusive Paid Mods Subscription Package Season Pass, Bundled Paid Mods, Paid Mods that offer Microtransactions, and more DLC than Train Simulator.

"Oh but wait there are still free mods out."

You mean LITE editions of full featured paid mods where you get a pop-up every 5 minutes along with desktop notifications telling you to buy the full version and support the devs?

Meanwhile, the games sell in the billions and Bethesda and Valve are reaping all the money generated by their 75% cut of community-made content. They literally did not have to do anything to make this much money. They just give us glorious permission to be able to sell it on their exclusive DRM-enforced Steam Mod Store because the year is 2016 and the only way to install mods into a Steam DRM game is through their official Workshop.
  97. Apr 26, 2015
    Don't pay for mods. Don't give Valve, or Bethesda, money for content they did not create. The entire notion of this system is shameful, disgusting, and insulting to the community that helped bring their mediocre franchise up to a legendary series.
  98. Apr 27, 2015
    This game without mods - 4/10
    This game with mods - 10/10
    This game with paid mods - 0/10

This is the worst thing to happen in 2015 because Valve and bethesda wanted more money then they already make.
  99. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is really broken on PC, it's unbelievable that reviewers do not take into account whether developers put in any effort on the version (PC) of the game that they are rating. Bethesda have sadly been extremely lazy on the PC side. I'm not talking about no added bells and whistles, I'm simply talking about basic PC functionality not working.

- Numerous graphical issues - Alt-tab

- Numerous graphical issues
    - Alt-tab causing hangs/crashes (this isn't even hard to fix!)
    - No borderless windowed mode
    - No key bindings
    - Little/no support for non-xbox controllers
    - Mouse acceleration cannot be disabled

Unfortunately this was a double day 1 purchase for myself and my wife so we could play through it this weekend, but it looks like this game is hardly playable in its current state (on our 2 PC's). A friend of ours woke up at silly o' clock to play it and ended up going back to sleep because of what a terrible state it is in. I wouldn't be complaining if this issue was limited to a single machine, but the fact is that this game is very broken on all the machines that ourselves and our friend have tried it on.

If you haven't bought this game already, I would recommend not purchasing it until it is fixed.
  100. Nov 11, 2011
    Thumbs up Bethesda!! once again you released a barely unplayable **** game, leaving it for modders to fix it...
    Well, this game ended up being a terrible console port after all..No surprises. I'm sure most people playing this game don't care. But as a PC gamer, this is unacceptable. The irony that on PC, it's virtually unplayable with a mouse and keyboard... Don't bother getting it if you don't have a 360 controller. The UI was made for controller only. And sadly you will have to go through menus quite a bit. There's some hot-keys and a 'favorites' menu but it really is poor. Combat system is also appalling, we're close to 2012 and Bethesda still hasn't learnt a thing yet. It really feels awkward when swinging your weapon. Your just slashing your way at an enemy, occasionally blocking and pulling back until a random finishing kill pops up. Using magic and weapons during combat is a pain in the neck. You have to un equip your weapon to use spells, and re equip your weapon once your done.
    AI is not that great either to not say worse. There's more actors this time but most of them have boring dialogues and feel they forced. Finally, I haven't played the game enough to comment on the world but so far it feels and looks dull. I'm still laughing how all reviewers seem to give crap games like this a 9.0 - 9.5..

1. Feb 29, 2012