8.1

1. Sep 9, 2016
    One of the few highly rated metacritic games that are actually worth the praise. This game is a masterpiece, Bethesda outdid themselves coming from the attrocious Oblivion and the good but not great Fallout 3. I didn't actually believe i would have enjoyed it when i installed it for the first time. It was a big surprise for me.

This game, at the time of its release, had great graphics

This game, at the time of its release, had great graphics and strangely low PC requirements for those graphics. Much improved voice acting, big open world, interesting world.

This RPG is stellar on all fronts. Production values are great, the gameplay is great, story is decent, lore is rich. The content is huge and you will be playing for hundrends of hours, even without mods or add ons.

I love the freedoms of the new perk system. One of the most satisfying things in Skyrim is trying to make unique combinations and classes. I have made at least 60 myself, and they all play differently.

Skyrim is not without faults of course, and when it was first released it was buggier than the Amazon river. It still is and you should use the unofficial patches or wait for the remastered edition. But those faults mean nothing in contrast to how awesome this game is. Add the dlcs and some mods, and it becomes one of the best RPGs of all time.

I can't believe the userscore average of 8.1 . Some players seem very salty. This game is one of the best ever. Just because it doesn't have Bioware's lesbian and gay romancing options doesn't mean it is a bad RPG. Grow up!
  2. Dec 10, 2011
    Skyrim is almost everything you'd want in an open free-roaming world. There really isn't a correct way of playing the game and it's up to the player in how he want to approach the game. Do you want to be like a Demigod were every enemy encounter is a breeze? Or do you want them all to be challenging? There are a lot of ways of playing this game, and I'd wager for the most fun the playerSkyrim is almost everything you'd want in an open free-roaming world. There really isn't a correct way of playing the game and it's up to the player in how he want to approach the game. Do you want to be like a Demigod were every enemy encounter is a breeze? Or do you want them all to be challenging? There are a lot of ways of playing this game, and I'd wager for the most fun the player shouldn't be afraid to vary his gameplay style. Imposing your own artificial limitations can go a long way of making the game more enjoyable, such as don't use Fast Travel, don't use the Compass to navigate, don't focus solely on maxing out Enchanting or Smithing first, et cetera.

That said, the game is a masterpiece were the sum of its part far outweigh the parts itself, which shows. The voice acting is the best in the series so far, but it doesn't really say much. Voices are still repeated on a regular basis, which some might feel breaks the immersion. The main quest feels empty and boring, as does most of the quests of the guilds. Overall, the feeling of being "special" and treated as such is too obvious. Regardless of what line of quests you want to do, you'll pretty much end up being labeled as SPECIAL early on, and an early non-worthy prize awaits you after a few simple quests. Gone is the struggle of advancing through the ranks of a Guild in order to succeed.

Discussing were the elements of the game fails can take all day as Skyrim contains a lot of very different elements, which all feels lacking in one way or another. Yet this doesn't stop the game from feeling like a masterpiece. It's fun, it's immersive, it allows players to customize their gaming experience and offers an extremely high level of freedom. The attention to detail in the world is amazing, and it's a wonderful experience just exploring the world in your own pace. Is Skyrim a GOTY of 2011? Yes, I truly think so. Though is it a 10/10? No, while it's great, it isn't perfect. There's A LOT of faults in the game, though while frustrating or disruptive at times, these doesn't stop you from enjoying the rest of the game.
  3. Dec 20, 2011
    Just another good action-rpg.
    The balance but no perfect, the dialogues are sometimes repetitive/incoherent/retarded.
    But overall its still a good game with a huge potential of playability thanks to the mod community (nexus).
  4. Nov 24, 2011
    this game is great. i mean, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfection but it's great: the story is interesting, the graphics are good (most of the time) and it doesn't have many bugs (for bethesda's standards). exploring skyrim is simply fantastic, going through woods, finding caves, towns, side quests. simply amazing how HUGE this game is, it takes hours to explore the whole gamethis game is great. i mean, don't get me wrong, it's far from perfection but it's great: the story is interesting, the graphics are good (most of the time) and it doesn't have many bugs (for bethesda's standards). exploring skyrim is simply fantastic, going through woods, finding caves, towns, side quests. simply amazing how HUGE this game is, it takes hours to explore the whole game world. the soundtrack is also kick ass. fighting dragons is fun, and most fights provide a good challenge even on normal difficulty. i also love how they didn't use the usual point-and-click controls typical to rpgs like wow, dragon age, etc., IMHO, those are the worst controls ever. speaking of control, skyrim has a huge defect: it has no quick keys. seriously? even console ports like mass effect have them! it's a waste of time that i have to go through my whole inventory or favourite list just to use a potion or change weapon/spell! another drawback typical to most rpgs is that you can accept quests and start playing them with no clue that your character is not enough skilled to complete the quest: that's a real pain in the ass, you can literally go fight dragons with a level 1 character, and get killed in 2 microseconds. most of the times, of course you have no idea what you're gonna fight, it's like "can you get my sword back?", and then the cave has bears, trolls and giants in it.
    in conclusion, i'd give this game a 8.5, rounded up to a more realistic 9 because the good aspects of this game really compensate the bad ones
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    While I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing itWhile I could ramble about how ridiculous certain "reviewers" are being, I'll simply state my opinion. Skyrim is essentially exactly what I wanted from the next installment in The Elder Scrolls series. What exactly dictates that? Basically, a polished, improved Oblivion. Being a huge fan of Oblivion, this game is pinpoint accurate on returning to the formula I love, while also sprucing it up, and adding more in. To start, those who say this isn't a visually appealing game is diminishing two factors.; the first that it is certainly a step above Oblivion, and that it is a role playing game. While playing, I have all the details on Ultra, and I'm running it at a constant 60 frames per second. Needless to say, it looks fantastic. Even out of the context of it being a role playing game, it still looks great! People simply look for anything to pile onto their rage-reviews. Next, the sound. At first, I was skeptical about the new soundtrack Jeremy Soule laid out for me. I was a huge fan of Oblivion's soundtrack, so Skyrim's soundtrack was important to me from the introduction. While initially I wasn't too impressed, it definitely hit perfectly after the first few hours. The Nordic choruses, the compelling drums, the serene tavern backdrops, it does just as Oblivion did. It creates a soundtrack that handsomely compliments the immersion factor of the world around you. I suggest that anyone who appreciates a good musical score to edit your audio values, and turn the "music" bar up a notch; it truly makes the gameplay better. Lastly, the combat system that lets your dethrone dragons, and bash in skulls of unsuspecting (or foolish) bandits, and the like. Bethesda outdid themselves when it comes to innovating their combat system. While I enjoyed Oblivion, the fighting was robotic, and repetitive. Quite opposite of its older brother, Skyrim redefines how you take down your foes, or friendly citizens (yes, we all occasionally go on questionable rampages when we get new weapons.) From finishing moves, to spell casting that isn't sluggish, the new combat system is perfect for Skyrim. Casting fire while swinging with an enchanted sword is satisfying, to say the least.

While I could continue to write an explicit review, I'll stop myself, and end with this. Skyrim is undoubtedly a role playing game experience all fans should experience. While it sticks to the same formula while revamping itself all the while, why should that be a bad thing? If you loved Oblivion, you'll adore Skyrim. (This isn't a console port either, people just love to whine. The controls are just fine, and the visuals are a half step above consoles.)
  6. Nov 17, 2011
    I'd like for everyone to keep in mind that everyone's experience of this game differs according to the graphics settings, kind of character, and type of ad-hoc gameplay style they develop when playing through skyrimz. Myself, I do appreciate a challenge, but I also like to appreciate the storyline without having gut-wrenching, impossible battles. As such, I'm playing the game on theI'd like for everyone to keep in mind that everyone's experience of this game differs according to the graphics settings, kind of character, and type of ad-hoc gameplay style they develop when playing through skyrimz. Myself, I do appreciate a challenge, but I also like to appreciate the storyline without having gut-wrenching, impossible battles. As such, I'm playing the game on the default difficulty level. If you prefer to take a more relaxed approach like me, I recommend doing same. As for my playing style, I'm role playing the game as sort of a noble vigilante much like Robinhood. I haven't officially joined any factions other than the College of Winterhold which is purportedly not involved in world affairs-at least, that's the version of the story your told to believe. Behind the veneer of the college as a distant, scholarly retreat, there is the reality that the college is full of men and women with ulterior motives who have brought unsanctioned practices and customs with them, regardless of approval by the college's authorities. So far, the college if proving to be a very enjoyable experience. Compared to Oblivion's and Morrowind's Mage Guilds, the storyline is much richer, and you really do get the sense that your just a pawn in a dangerous game of mage politics. As for the game-play itself, I was frankly blown right of my socks by the dual casting. The visuals for the spells, the way the body moves when casting, and way spells can combine together nearly made me pee myself. If it's any indication to you of how cool spell casting is in this game, I spent nearly 45 minutes to an hour trying out different spells on the outskirts of a city just to see what they looked like and to test them all out. The only strong criticism I have for Bethesda, in terms of mage combat, is that there a major lack of conjuration spells. I'm hoping they'll make up for this in DLC's they release. Additionally, I'm thinking they may have erred in how they designed the level-up system for mages. It may have been a better idea to have sub-specialties for conjuration crazies like me so that the creatures we summoned gained better hp and attacks buffs as we put more skills into, for example, daedric summoning. In the end design, they probably limited the amount of spells in order to have better balance in the game and to be able to perfect each spell in terms of it's visuals and associated casting movements. Sword and archery combat is a great deal improved now, too. There are spin moves, thrusts, and slashes for sword lovers who want to have more flexibility in terms of their combat style which is a major plus. Then, for those who are more the dark brotherhood types, there are special take down moves that can be done with swords and daggers from up close. Secondly, archery feels much more natural now. The way your arms and body moves when you draw your bow is much more natural. Long distance shots are quite difficult to land since arrows actually do arch, but short range shots almost always hit (even if you're a low level archer). The bowman can even do a sort of shove attack with the bow to fend off attacking enemies although this isn't very effective against enemies wielding large weapons because they hit you long before you can shove them back with your bow. A minor complaint here, but I think Bethesda should have added a richer complement of melee attack options for the bow. In addition to the shove, the archer should be able to swing his bow as a make-shift blunt weapon and even use his arrows as a dagger. Alchemy seems pretty complex, and there are thousands of ingredients and recipe books to keep the alchemy buffs quite content. As for the number and variety of quests, I couldn't do them full justice here, but I think I can sum it up in one sentence. If you wanted to be a full-time adventurer and/or treasure hunter, it's entirely possible to do so given the sheer number of side quests available. I can't tell you the number of times I've run into random bandits, creatures, altars, graves, abandoned forts, mines, and ruins that have their own mini-story lines and often lead to other quests. Freaking awesome!

Overall, the graphics, storylines, and voice-acting collectively work together to produce a role-playing experience so immersive, enthralling, and impressive that you may never put the game down until you finish it.
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    Pure awesomeness. Wish the dragons put up more of a fight though. The graphics are a big improvement over Oblivion, and the game is running crash free on my Intel/AMD PC.
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    I've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water andI've been playing this for about 14 hours, and I'm very, very addicted and immersed into the game world. Looking at the low scores, I can't be entirely sure what people were expecting. I suppose Bethesda showed screenshots that made the game look its best (this happens with every game I would add), as the graphics tend to favour rendering rocks and clouds into the distance over water and shadows, and as such looking at a vista gives you a jarring sense of beauty and dire ugliness at the same time. Not only that, character animations still are stiff albeit an improvement. In fact, let's get all the negative stuff out the way now; the controls for PC are awful, amazingly awful considering Bethesda's PC menu's have always been fine before now. It feels very much like they didn't think about making the interface work on PC (perhaps they ran out of time committing to 11/11/11), so expect your first few hours to be an exercise in getting used to then perfecting the controls as best you can.

So what's good? Well, despite shading issues and water in the distance, the weather effects and mountains will frequently make you want to just stop and stare at a view, Bethesda have truly outdone themselves on that front, and it makes the graphical flaws more acceptable when you're playing. You will NEVER have a lack of quests after the first handful of hours, and as such you will have tons of reasons to go and explore all of Skyrim. And given the properly designed dungeons, they're well worth it. That is the major reason I feel this is such an improvement over Oblivion, where dungeons used to be boring and nigh on pointless, they're more focused experiences that genuinely will give you something worthwhile for plumbing its caverns/halls/chambers (and handily when you've got out of a major dungeon and looted it all, it will be marked as cleared on the map).

But the big thing is that despite people's complaints about combat, Skyrim is a massive improvement on Oblivion. It could be even better for sure, but the slickness of dual-wielding spells and quickswitching to a bow and arrow, before delivering a cinematic finishing blow with your sword and shield will certainly leave you more impressed than you were with Oblivion. The levelling system is also infinitely easier to keep track of and improve your skills with.

I think I've covered most of what I've thought so far while playing. This is an altogether more beautiful and slicker (apart from the controls) Oblivion, absolutely worth your time as long as you're ready to wrestle with the controls. If you're patient, it may well be worth your while to wait until various issues are fixed or some good mods have come out to try and improve them though (8.5).
  9. Jan 14, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

Skyrim offers an amazingly large free-to-roam world in which many items, quests, monsters and dragons can be found. The game's impressive story-line, life-like characters and action-packed quests definitely make it one of the best games of 2011 - 2012. The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get repetitive, as they tend to repeat the same actions over again and that a lot of glitches are present in this game, which may actually prevent the player from completing a quest, or may just be minor.

Other than that, this game is amazing! 8!
  10. Feb 12, 2012
    Overwhelming in its depth and value. Bethesda have really topped themselves: this is the best in the series so far and I never seem to have enough time to play through this fantastic game. It's a required purchase for anyone who considered themselves any kind of gamer: be prepared to be floored by the sheer depth of this game. It truly is unrivaled, even by its predecessors.
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    At its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the characterAt its core, this game is absolutely fantastic. The amount of content available to the player is staggering, I'm about 11 hours in and feel like I haven't even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. The only thing stopping me from giving this game a perfect 10 is that the graphics notably suffer from having to accommodate consoles, most noticeably in the character shadows (which appear very pixelated up close, even on ultra-high settings). The way the menu is set up reeks of lazy console port as well, but it's easy enough to get used to after awhile. Expand
  12. May 25, 2012
    Bethesda have created a fantastic game, an immersive and expansive world, and a strong piece of fantasy fiction storytelling. More importantly though, they've created a near-perfect base for endless customisation and creation by the gaming community. I simply can't put into words how much of a success this game is in terms of appeasing the modding community and creating both an epicBethesda have created a fantastic game, an immersive and expansive world, and a strong piece of fantasy fiction storytelling. More importantly though, they've created a near-perfect base for endless customisation and creation by the gaming community. I simply can't put into words how much of a success this game is in terms of appeasing the modding community and creating both an epic vanilla game and a highly versatile experience for any gamer. Will keep me busy for a very long time indeed. (and I was someone highly dissapointed by Oblivion - so no fanboy). Expand
  13. Jul 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Review Deleted
    ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  14. Dec 17, 2011
    Amazing game. I run into some crashes on the PS3 on occasion but the game plays well and looks great. I spend half my day at work emailing friends about what they got into in game. An improvement over Oblivion.
  15. Nov 15, 2011
    So far I've played Skyrim for 38 hours. So far I've been completely seduced by game. The quests are great and Skyrim is a marvelous addition to the series. In my opinion Skyrim is worth every penny, if you like the series, Skyrim is definitely a must.
    Even though the game is quite buggy, but which game doesn't have bugs? And I bet Bethesda would do anything to solve them and maybe even further improve it.
    They did a really good job working the engine to give Skyrim a great look, but they also managed to get it running on low spec computers. I run Skyrim on High graphics with an Macbook Pro (I use it for study but who can blame me for having the need to play Skyrim) from last year with Bootcamp with high fps rate. For me the graphics are the only thing which could have been better, but since I give a damn about graphics it doesn't matter at all.
    To all the reviewer giving Skyrim a bad review have proberbly neither played the game for longer then 10 hours or if they had they only **** about the graphics and the bugs. Of course they can't put all their resources on graphics if they unless they want their storyline to be as boring as any other FPS' like BF3 and MW3, which used all their resources on the graphic and left a single player campaign even worse ever. Not only did they get a great storyline but also made Skyrim into a nice piece of art. Not only do they give you the feeling that you are a Viking running around raping people and bashing skulls. But the environment will put you in awe. Never before has Tamriel looked so great as in Skyrim.
  16. Nov 20, 2011
    When I started with Skyrim I was prepared for the worst. The UI is bizarre and certainly doesn't feel right on my PC. Why use Tab to close menus, what is wrong with escape? Also I did not enjoy the introduction. Looks great etc but having to sit through it was a pain, It felt very constricted and scripted. However, then the game started proper and I am blown away by the depth of detail.When I started with Skyrim I was prepared for the worst. The UI is bizarre and certainly doesn't feel right on my PC. Why use Tab to close menus, what is wrong with escape? Also I did not enjoy the introduction. Looks great etc but having to sit through it was a pain, It felt very constricted and scripted. However, then the game started proper and I am blown away by the depth of detail. Discovering the world, dealing with people mountain passes, exploring cities. Wow magical. I have put only about 5-6 hours into it but I am addicted. Just a bit longer, just search this area go over that mountain. Amazing stuff. I would gige it more points but I believe the UI sucks balls. Expand
  17. Nov 18, 2011
    In the week I have had this game I have played over 30 hours! I still haven't completed the main quest and I am loving it. The new leveling system is really nice and all the perks seem to "perk" my interest. Even the skills I wasn't going to level up, I want to level up due to the cool perks! I know the graphics are not ultra crazy but I am happy with the gameplay and to me that's whatIn the week I have had this game I have played over 30 hours! I still haven't completed the main quest and I am loving it. The new leveling system is really nice and all the perks seem to "perk" my interest. Even the skills I wasn't going to level up, I want to level up due to the cool perks! I know the graphics are not ultra crazy but I am happy with the gameplay and to me that's what count's. Especially when modders can "upgrade" the graphics with the addition of the Creation Kit. This will consume most of my free time for a long long long time! I can't wait for MERP! Middle Earth Roleplay Project! Everyone check out this mod they are porting to Skyrim! 10/10! Long live Skyrim ;-) Expand
  18. Aug 29, 2013
    Oblivion bored me. So I ignored Skyrim successfully for some time. Then I decided to give it a try. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The game is great. Whereas Oblivion got boring after some 30 hours, this one leaves you wanting more. You can see why actually. First of all, questing no longer involves going to a dungeon that looks almost exactly like the previous 20 or 30. True, some types ofOblivion bored me. So I ignored Skyrim successfully for some time. Then I decided to give it a try. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The game is great. Whereas Oblivion got boring after some 30 hours, this one leaves you wanting more. You can see why actually. First of all, questing no longer involves going to a dungeon that looks almost exactly like the previous 20 or 30. True, some types of dungoens are similar, but not to the extent that would make it tedious. This rule applies to other fields, and you can see the developers paid more attention to minor details. No more irritating rules, like buying a new alembic etc everytime you get a better rank in alchemy etc. Although such things may seem minor, they really make the whole experience much better. Also, the main quest is much more well-written than that in Oblivion. And much more fun. I'm on my 120th hour and I's still enjoying it.

So, basically, the bottom line is: if you still haven't played this cause you think oblivion sucked, play it. Much better.
  19. Dec 16, 2011
    Yeah, you need to tweak the game via console and the .ini files. Yeah, you need to get into the modding scene to fix some of the bugs and problems. Yeah, the game didn't run with over 2GB memory without some kind of third party application. Well guess what... that's what the dedicated Elder Scrolls players are used to. And we LOVE Bethesda for it. They let us play the game the way WE wantYeah, you need to tweak the game via console and the .ini files. Yeah, you need to get into the modding scene to fix some of the bugs and problems. Yeah, the game didn't run with over 2GB memory without some kind of third party application. Well guess what... that's what the dedicated Elder Scrolls players are used to. And we LOVE Bethesda for it. They let us play the game the way WE want to play it. Do we want to modify the way we level up? quite often we do. Do we want to modify the difficulty and scaling of the game? Of course we do. Do we want to tweak the graphics, overhaul the system, get the most out of our real gaming machines? You're bloody well right we do! The fifth installation in the Elder Scrolls series allows the gamer to play and change the game to suit them. Why did Skyrim win GotY 2011? Pretty simple. Bethesda created a game that let the user decide how they wanted to play. The Elder Scrolls series is one of the very few games that allow the user the utmost control over how the game works. Game developers need to understand, you give the community a development kit and you will have them work for free, creating new content, fixing bugs. That's the kind of community that dedicated PC gamers are, we love these games because they give us almost unparalleled control over the way in which the game functions. I don't like being locked to 65 FoV because the developers didn't want to put the option in the game for PC gamers. I don't like being locked to certain keys because the developers didn't want to make the code for remapping keys. I hate being forced to play a game in a linear style without any deviations from the path. Does the game have problems? Yes. Can these problems be fixed by the user? YES! Nothing short of a 10 out of 10. Expand
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    After waiting over a year for this game, and after playing both morrowind and oblivion, I am happy to say this is my favorite one so far. The only disappointing thing for me is that my computer cannot run skyrim on max, which is a big supprise considering I can run bf3 on ultra with no anti-aliasing. In short, If you have a pc, ps3, or xbox 360 and you don't buy this game, you areAfter waiting over a year for this game, and after playing both morrowind and oblivion, I am happy to say this is my favorite one so far. The only disappointing thing for me is that my computer cannot run skyrim on max, which is a big supprise considering I can run bf3 on ultra with no anti-aliasing. In short, If you have a pc, ps3, or xbox 360 and you don't buy this game, you are missing out on the best game of the year. Expand
  21. Nov 17, 2011
    I hate to admit it. But this is the best game I have ever played in almost 30 years of gaming. I personally hated, and I do mean HATED Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I thought they were two of the most overrated games ever made. But this, oh man what an amazing game. It does have some flaws. Bad UI, a fair few bugs and some poor graphics. Fortunately those things can be fixed with mods. I amI hate to admit it. But this is the best game I have ever played in almost 30 years of gaming. I personally hated, and I do mean HATED Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I thought they were two of the most overrated games ever made. But this, oh man what an amazing game. It does have some flaws. Bad UI, a fair few bugs and some poor graphics. Fortunately those things can be fixed with mods. I am currently using about 8 or 9 and it makes the game beautiful as only a PC can. Wonderful game, any RPG nut needs to try it. Expand
  22. Nov 20, 2014
    Played this game for days on end. Really enjoyed it and had a blast with all the mods that are out there for it. Still have yet to play the expansions, but I'll get those installed one day.
  23. Nov 30, 2011
    This game defines a genre and is without question, the best RPG gaming experience currently available to human kind.

Although I will deduct one point for a long list of bugs and the ongoing CTD errors :)
  24. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is amazing! Incredibly immersive and fun. The graphics are nice, even more so if you download the hi-res texture pack on Steam. The weather effects are amazing and the snow looks so real! The main walkthrough is not very long but there is so many side quests and those are a lot of fun, not just fetching quests. Dragon shouts are a nice addition to your arsenal and a lot ofThis game is amazing! Incredibly immersive and fun. The graphics are nice, even more so if you download the hi-res texture pack on Steam. The weather effects are amazing and the snow looks so real! The main walkthrough is not very long but there is so many side quests and those are a lot of fun, not just fetching quests. Dragon shouts are a nice addition to your arsenal and a lot of fun to use. The game is a bit too easy though, dragons are not really challenging so playing the game on the hardest difficulty will give the more hardcore players a better experience.
    The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that some NPCs become invincible at a certain point, for example: I completed all the Dark Brotherhood quests but after that I didn't want anything to do with them anymore so I tried killing all the members and I found out there was no way to kill them and get rid of the Dark Brotherhood. To me that's a minor inconvenience but it would be nice if Bethesda could find a way to eliminate situations like these... I know! Designing such a huge open world game is very hard and some compromises have to be made. Once again great game and I can't wait for a DLC!
  25. Mar 15, 2012
    After finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed byAfter finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed by 90 hours of fun for a â Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers...I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers... don't read bad opinions, this game is on of the best game in the history.... [10/10] Expand
  27. gas
    Nov 21, 2011
    I have to update me review, my first score after 25 hours of gameplay was a 6/10, as primary the terrible menu/inventory/crafting system and secondary the engine/textures hard porting created me some issues to be very satisfied.
    Now after 70 hours of gameplay i can tell that even with those mentioned issues the game is more then good, also its really massive, i mean, there is really a lot to see and explore.
    Dungeons are getting more interesting and complex, and also the combat system even if not much better then Oblivion its fun, at least playing primary as ranged.
    The game runs also quite stable and ive not seen many bugs so far.
    Sadly it could have been a true masterpiece but the issues mentioned above are quite annoying.
  28. Dec 12, 2011
    A lot of hipsters hating on this because it's popular, you know the type. They'll say [insert band here] sucks, while they themselves can't sing a note or play an instrument to save their life. It's like saying the Beatles suck; they may not be your type of music, but to just dismiss them as crap is ignorant and petty.
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    First impression was very good, game did not crash for 10 hours playing and was stable. After the next day the game started to get crashes to desktop and lag issues. For this reason i give it a 9. The game has improved alot from the other games, graphics and story wise and the fun factor in combat. Alot of detail in the melee department, able to chop of heads and stab mobs inFirst impression was very good, game did not crash for 10 hours playing and was stable. After the next day the game started to get crashes to desktop and lag issues. For this reason i give it a 9. The game has improved alot from the other games, graphics and story wise and the fun factor in combat. Alot of detail in the melee department, able to chop of heads and stab mobs in fun/interesting ways. Some extra fun with casters on how magic is used, able to duel wield and combine magic with interesting magical effects. The world itself is just breath taking, from the night sky to the lush trees and grass you walk on. Very well done in this area. Dungeon traps are fun and make you jump unexpectedly and add a twist of fear when exploring them. Characters models did improve from the last game and from reading the reviews with some people here, i think they just expect alot more or too much now days. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion. For all the good reasons. No other game can make you immerse yourself in itself like The Elder Scrolls V. The only fault I could even think of is the kinda clunky UI takes time to get used to if you don't use a controller. Aside from that, this game is as close to perfection as a video game can get.
  31. Dec 12, 2011
    Opinion after 250+ hours. Bethesda's pursuit of freedom is admirable, and this is the best world created to date; but it naturally comes at the cost of a cohesive narrative. If you want great story & characters, better to play a more traditional RPG. Or better still, read a book. 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, but still not enough :). If you're about to play this for the first time,Opinion after 250+ hours. Bethesda's pursuit of freedom is admirable, and this is the best world created to date; but it naturally comes at the cost of a cohesive narrative. If you want great story & characters, better to play a more traditional RPG. Or better still, read a book. 60,000 lines of dialogue in Skyrim, but still not enough :). If you're about to play this for the first time, make sure you check the 'Skyrim Nexus' and browse it's 2700+ mods (amended UI, better textures), and I suggest a mod that stops NPC's from clamoring to spout their life-story (no NPC greetings). Expand
  32. Dec 17, 2011
    Ok, after 110 hours I am prepared to change my review from an 8 to a 10. I gave it an 8 originally because (1) I was cheesed off that Bethesda still largely blew off the PC community with its interface design and limit for 2GB for memory (2) and also there were a number of things that really should have been better since Oblivion, and some were and others not so much. All that said, lookOk, after 110 hours I am prepared to change my review from an 8 to a 10. I gave it an 8 originally because (1) I was cheesed off that Bethesda still largely blew off the PC community with its interface design and limit for 2GB for memory (2) and also there were a number of things that really should have been better since Oblivion, and some were and others not so much. All that said, look - Bethy makes its games totally open source and supports PC people mucking around, so of course, the modding community fixed everything, Bethy is trying harder to make good in some ways for PC users after the fact, and finally - look, I spent 110 hours in the game, and it's not perfect but it STILL SURPRISES me, which I thought impossible. It could always be better and it should be slightly better, but maybe there is no way to make a game this big, that responsive to so many diff players. I mean, I've only finished 20% of the game, so what's that going to be? 1,000 hours? and 3 years from now, I will play it as a diff character with 100 mods. If that's not a 10 what is? Thanks Bethy. Expand
  33. Nov 19, 2011
    Don't let the people giving this a low score persuade you to skip this title. Some people will complain about anything, and search for any reason to complain. Giving this any score less than a 7 just proves they are typical internet trolls looking for a reason to **** This game is fantastic. Anyone that complains about lack of story is missing the point. This is a sandbox where YOUDon't let the people giving this a low score persuade you to skip this title. Some people will complain about anything, and search for any reason to complain. Giving this any score less than a 7 just proves they are typical internet trolls looking for a reason to **** This game is fantastic. Anyone that complains about lack of story is missing the point. This is a sandbox where YOU make the story.

Some will say the menu is terrible. Initially it's tough to get used to, but after you use it for a while you realize that you never have to take your hands off the keyboard and mouse. The menus can all be navigated with the WASD keys.

Graphics: amazing.
    Story: amazing.
    Voice acting: amazing.
    Immersion: unlike anything you've ever played.

Let all the typical console casual gamers lament the game's open world. They have CoD for their "story on rails with invisible walls" fix. The rest of us can sit back and enjoy hundreds of hours of incredible game with the most "choose your own adventure" type gameplay ever created.

Bethesda has done it again. This game is nothing short of awesome. Buy it. You will not regret.
  34. Feb 6, 2012
    This review gives a different take on the bugs, glitches, and mishaps associated with the PC version of Skyrim. Many people are complaining about the lack of PC optimization, in addition to things like the UI clearly being only ideal for console users and textures not being high-res enough. While it is very unfortunate that this is the case (the game was not designed ideally for PC), whatThis review gives a different take on the bugs, glitches, and mishaps associated with the PC version of Skyrim. Many people are complaining about the lack of PC optimization, in addition to things like the UI clearly being only ideal for console users and textures not being high-res enough. While it is very unfortunate that this is the case (the game was not designed ideally for PC), what is fortunate is that Bethesda had the logic to give us OFFICIAL MOD SUPPORT for PC. Don't like the UI? Download a mod that changes it. Don't like the low-res textures? I've already downloaded over 3GB of higher res textures. Don't like the optimization? It gets better with each and every patch. While the PC version is not perfect, it's surely good enough for a 9/10 rating. Expand
  35. Nov 23, 2011
    Good but not great. Bottom line is that this is still a TES game and has fundamentally all the same pluses and minuses of both Morrowind and Oblivion. On the upside the scale of it and the immersion in the world is amazing. On the downside however, the combat is still floaty and lacks any real sense of impact, the skill system is totally unbalanced and exploitable and some of the questGood but not great. Bottom line is that this is still a TES game and has fundamentally all the same pluses and minuses of both Morrowind and Oblivion. On the upside the scale of it and the immersion in the world is amazing. On the downside however, the combat is still floaty and lacks any real sense of impact, the skill system is totally unbalanced and exploitable and some of the quest lines (*cough* mages *cough*) are really very very bad. Again. Bottom line is that it's a slightly updated version of Oblivion. Oh - and the PC UI is an abomination, possible the worst UI I've seen with the exception of Final Fantasy XIV. Expand
  36. Jan 16, 2012
    A startling amount of content in a beautiful package. The environments and the soundtrack blend beautifully to create a world you really want to get lost in. And with so many quests to do, you can easily pour over a hundred hours into this great game. Though there are bound to be glitches in a game of this magnitude as well as a lack of a fully substantial story, Skyrim still offers theA startling amount of content in a beautiful package. The environments and the soundtrack blend beautifully to create a world you really want to get lost in. And with so many quests to do, you can easily pour over a hundred hours into this great game. Though there are bound to be glitches in a game of this magnitude as well as a lack of a fully substantial story, Skyrim still offers the most immersive and enormous world for gamers to explore. Expand
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim will definitely be Game of the Year. Best TES Game I ever played. Also the Steelbook, map of Skyrim and the coloured Manual are awesome. Buy it!
  38. Nov 11, 2011
    If you buy one game this year, this is the one to get, it's the best elder scrolls yet, minus the ui, and the graphical errors, it would be perfect, but those will get patched and modded out. Bottom line BUY THIS GAME
  39. Nov 28, 2011
    Huge and beautiful. Engaging and mesmerizing. The amount of content and replayability is off the charts. If you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect as far as game mechanics are concerned. UI is pretty much identical to the Fallout games. Inventory is a little clunky, but doesn't take long before you're on auto-pilot with it andHuge and beautiful. Engaging and mesmerizing. The amount of content and replayability is off the charts. If you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, then you have a pretty good idea what to expect as far as game mechanics are concerned. UI is pretty much identical to the Fallout games. Inventory is a little clunky, but doesn't take long before you're on auto-pilot with it and other game controls and just enjoying the game. As awesome and in-depth RPG as you will ever play IN YOUR LIFE. Just buy it and enjoy the game. I'd ignore the nay-sayers who seem more interesting in showing off their "zero" score and going out of their way to find and bemoan the slightest, insignificant defects while overlooking the gaming experience in its entirety. Expand
  40. Nov 26, 2011
    Finally a game I've been anticipating for a long time doesn't disappoint me and, in fact, surpasses my initial expectations. Incredible game, a TON of content, engaging story and amazing gameplay choices. WARNING: Will cause sleep deprivation.
  41. Nov 18, 2011
    While no game really deserves a perfect score, I can't give Skyrim a mere 9 out of 10. There are a couple of minor issues with the PC version, but the only one that even bothers me at all, is the interface. It could be much better. There are some minor graphical glitches here and there, but looking at the game in the big picture, the 5th chapter in The Elder Scrolls series is worthy of aWhile no game really deserves a perfect score, I can't give Skyrim a mere 9 out of 10. There are a couple of minor issues with the PC version, but the only one that even bothers me at all, is the interface. It could be much better. There are some minor graphical glitches here and there, but looking at the game in the big picture, the 5th chapter in The Elder Scrolls series is worthy of a score in the high 90 percentile. There is so much to see and do. So many ways to develop your character, weapons, spells etc. that it boggles the mind. At first I was like a kid in a candy store. I didn't know where to start. Should I get a good start on the main quest or do just a little and then seek out the guilds and join one. Should I limit my exploring to one small area of the map, or check out a few far sections and see what was out there. Am I a hero with unwavering scruples, or will I do anything for more gold? Once I settled in, I got lost in Skyrim. Not in the "What the hell am I doing?" type of lost, but the "I should really go to bed / feed the dog / get to work" kind of lost. My video recorder is rapidly filling with TV shows that I've been ignoring, and the only time my wife has seen me during the past week is when we have dinner and do the dishes. Yes, this game is that good. There are plenty of places to find details on the game and the type of quests you will face, but I encourage anyone looking to pick up Skyrim, to play it without spoilers and discover a world where you can be the hero, thief, murderer, and dragon-slayer. Be one, or be them all. If you hate that the price of PC games are now averaging $60 for AAA titles, fret not with Skyrim, as you get your money's worth and more. Expand
  42. Oct 17, 2012
    Epic, beautiful, and a true single player game...absolutely wonderful. I also love the fact that there isn't really a main quest, there is nothing to 'finish'. It is like the real world insofar as even when you finish your quest line, the world keeps turning and nothing truly changes. I know there is the whole "Dragonborn" thing, but the game never forces you to finish that line, orEpic, beautiful, and a true single player game...absolutely wonderful. I also love the fact that there isn't really a main quest, there is nothing to 'finish'. It is like the real world insofar as even when you finish your quest line, the world keeps turning and nothing truly changes. I know there is the whole "Dragonborn" thing, but the game never forces you to finish that line, or even mention it if you don't kill that first dragon. So you are free to built your archer or wizard or assassin or thief or whatever it is you want to. It is also great that, with some mods, you can really push your hardware and have a truly beautiful world to explore. I ran 2 680 classifieds 4gb. I spent $1400 on videocards for this game and I have no regrets. And massive thanks to Beth for authoring official mod tools and opening up their game, which is a very rare thing today. My favorite game since Fallout: New Vegas. Expand
  43. Jan 21, 2012
    Before playing Skyrim you must accept the fact that Elder Scrolls games... or Bethesda RPG's in general have tendencies to be terribly glitchy and well un-organised. Skyrim, reasons you are so great: Great graphics/models/views/effects, great combat (decapitating people casually), great array of weapons armour and crafting, great bunch of characters, a good adventurer experience.
  44. Nov 11, 2011
    Cant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw droppingCant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw dropping stuff!....yes some super HD textures would of been nice and maybe dx10-11 support but i doubt that would have added much to this already top RPG...i give it 9 out of 10 but am clicking on the 10 to try and offset the dickheads who gave it 0...the muppets are like spoilt children crying over minor issues like spoilt brats they are! Expand
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    Okay, i bought it for PC because of mouse control and improved graphics. First i thought, "wow", my HD5870 is good enough but then i realized that the game looks like Oblivion without any graphic-mods and low settings. Don't get me wrong, I will play this game because its like Oblivion, but it is not the game i was waiting for. Seems like the developers are afraid of improving graphics ofOkay, i bought it for PC because of mouse control and improved graphics. First i thought, "wow", my HD5870 is good enough but then i realized that the game looks like Oblivion without any graphic-mods and low settings. Don't get me wrong, I will play this game because its like Oblivion, but it is not the game i was waiting for. Seems like the developers are afraid of improving graphics of the pc version because consoleros would get angry. The menus are terrible too. They didn't even try to improve them for pc mouse. I have a wireless 360 controller for Windows, but i won't use it. I got it for sports and racing games. Let the patching begin.... Expand
  46. Aug 20, 2012
    I became bored with Skyrim after about 140 hours. While some may object that it becomes boring after some time, I myself know plenty of games that started to bore me after a FEW hours at most! There is a ton of things to do in Skyrim and while it starts to look all the same after some time, you certainly can't deny that it takes you weeks of real time (140 hours = 35 days/4 hours a day)I became bored with Skyrim after about 140 hours. While some may object that it becomes boring after some time, I myself know plenty of games that started to bore me after a FEW hours at most! There is a ton of things to do in Skyrim and while it starts to look all the same after some time, you certainly can't deny that it takes you weeks of real time (140 hours = 35 days/4 hours a day) till it does.
    Great music, graphics and some storylines, exciting combat... what more could you wish for? Complex magic system in Morrowind style? Never really used it. More complex dialog options? It would help. PC friendly menus? Absolutely.
    Certainly almost everyone will think of something that would be great if added to this game, but come on! There is so much stuff in this game, let's keep it real and say that there is far more than in any other game for a "mere" 50
  47. Nov 13, 2011
    Hands down the best game in years. There are just a handful of game companies that consistently go WAY beyond what is expected when creating games, and Bethesda is one of them.

As is typical of massive games like this upon release, ES V has crashed on me twice in a couple of days, but I'm sure patches will remedy this. It feels far more stable than Oblivion or FO3 upon release. The

The leveling system is much improved from Oblivion in my opinion. Why they didn't go completely FO3 with the leveling in Skyrim, they did correct the fundamental issues with Oblivion's system. And they are perks galore! And you get to choose one each level.

I haven't advanced far in the main quest yet (I tend to get easily distracted by side quests, of which there seem to be no end!), but the story already has the makings of another Bethesda epic.
  48. Nov 14, 2011
    An overwhelmingly wonderful installment to the Elder Scrolls series. While playing, the player will delve into stunning graphics, engaging quests and relationships, incredible architecture, and a refined combat system built to impress. This is not to say that there were no issues, as there were. NPCs move strangely, voices don't always line up with mouth movements, and crashes to desktopAn overwhelmingly wonderful installment to the Elder Scrolls series. While playing, the player will delve into stunning graphics, engaging quests and relationships, incredible architecture, and a refined combat system built to impress. This is not to say that there were no issues, as there were. NPCs move strangely, voices don't always line up with mouth movements, and crashes to desktop happen. As it has become the industry norm to release unrefined games, Skyrim is no exception. However, it is one of the best unrefined games released to date. 9/10 Expand
  49. Nov 22, 2011
    Looked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feelingLooked at dispassionately, Skyrim offers a by-the-numbers fantasy experience: you're a questin' hero looking to pick fights with dragons, slaying bandits and randomly spawning beasts, casting spells, and wielding a range of medieval weapons, all while listening to reams of mildly interesting dialog. At first glance, it doesn't offer the highly imaginitive and truly otherworldly feeling landscapes of Morrowind. Its console roots are evident. And, it being a Bethesda game, you were expecting some bugs. Right ?

Even after the broad praise on release, I wasn't convinced Skyrim could topple Morrowind as my #1 RPG on the PC, and initially held off on buying it.

Now, 30 hours play crammed into three days later, its obvious to me that Skyrim has raised the bar for PC RPG's well above the competition: this is a remarkable game. Not so much for its choices, but for how beautifully it implements those choices. The landscapes are truly remarkable, perhaps for the first time offering a world which feels real instead of like a semi-random patchwork of locations. This really is a small country in a box, and it is a remarkable achievement in itself. Idylic villages, huge and imposing castles, haunted burial mounds, standing stones and impromptu altars to various gods, dungeons big and small, dreary plains, towering mountains and narrow mountain passes: all of it great to look at, travel through and explore. The main quest so far has been solid and quite engaging, offering just the right mix of challenge and hero (you) worship. You feel important, but not overpowered.

Character progression is great, focussing on (the use of) skills, not on simply leveling (even though you do level), and the number of available options is staggering, offering a talent tree on all the many skills and schools of magic which really gives you the option to craft a character to your tastes.

Sound is top-notch, including the dynamic soundtrack.

Sure, I have some criticisms: the GUI could stand a couple of major and minor improvements, although I don't find it quite as bad as others have made it out to be. The voice acting is mostly competent, even pretty good in places, but it's also tacky in others - and some NPC's I wouldn't mind murdering just to get rid of their repetitive and trite oneliners. There are some graphical glitches. I've had a couple of crashes to the desktop - nothing so bad as Fallout 3 / New Vegas, though - in fact, I find this to be the most stable Bethesda game to date. Also, character animation is far from perfect.

So is Morrowing finally surpassed ? In a word: yes. Even though the world might appear less imaginative than Morrowind's, this one simply feels more real and offers a ton of rewards to the intrepid explorer. It's hard to get anything done, because it's so very easy to get distracted by any number of things found en route to a quest objective. Many of the quests have an adult theme, require an uncomfortable compromise, or simply offer irresistibly 'evil' choices with enjoyably disturbing consequences.

Skyrim is Bethesda's best yet and easily takes a spot amongst the best RPG's ever.
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm confused? Skyrim is advertised as a fantasy RPG. It has a vast world to explore, dungeons to loot, dragons to kill, bandits to beat down, trades to learn, inn's to sleep in, booze to drink, rivers to swim in, mountains to climb, weapons to fight with, spells to heal and destroy, towns to find, 300 hours of content, etc. So what did the low scoring people expect? Shoot, reload,I'm confused? Skyrim is advertised as a fantasy RPG. It has a vast world to explore, dungeons to loot, dragons to kill, bandits to beat down, trades to learn, inn's to sleep in, booze to drink, rivers to swim in, mountains to climb, weapons to fight with, spells to heal and destroy, towns to find, 300 hours of content, etc. So what did the low scoring people expect? Shoot, reload, shoot, reload, die, re-spawn??? As for the graphics ... (on ultra) are 'pinch myself' incredible when you consider what this game represents. I can see way, way off into the horizon with no fogging, people walking around, birds high in the sky, clouds realistically moving and trees swaying in the wind without the slightest lag or frame rate drop (60FPS). What other game does this??? Also, the load times leaving buildings/new areas are, at most, 3 seconds! How in the hell does Skyrim load this in so quickly? Something else I found impressive was I was walking through the bush during the night and a shadow of a bird of prey passed me. I looked up and there it was!!! Such attention to detail. I'm over and above amazed with what Blethesda have created. OK, It's not a huge leap from Oblivion or Fallout 3, but it's built upon those foundations and created the BEST of that genre. People are so hard to please these days (myself included) and when something comes along with genuine effort and thought, it becomes 'cool' to disrespect all the hard work. I salute the team behind Skyrim as they have given us (gamers) something to rejoice in. Best pre-crimbo present I could have hoped for. Thank you. Expand
  51. Jun 30, 2012
    First off, I'm new to The Elder Scrolls. I bought Oblivion a while back off of Steam when it was on sale, and really didn't enjoy it, probably because it was quite a few years old and shared a lot of the same sounds and features of Fallout 3, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had a lot of fun in Skyrim. It piqued my interest in the series quite a bit, and have since read (not played, I know)First off, I'm new to The Elder Scrolls. I bought Oblivion a while back off of Steam when it was on sale, and really didn't enjoy it, probably because it was quite a few years old and shared a lot of the same sounds and features of Fallout 3, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had a lot of fun in Skyrim. It piqued my interest in the series quite a bit, and have since read (not played, I know) the synopsis of all the other Elder Scrolls games. It's not perfect, no game is, but just a lot of fun. I think it deserves a higher score than an 8. Expand
  52. Nov 12, 2011
    NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

NOT RUINED BY CONSOLE PORT!!! There, got that out of the way :P

Skyrim, thus far, has been fantastic. The world is quite memorable, that include everything from the characters the monsters and the dungeons and cities... everything is a fantasy escapists dream. What Bethesda promised they delivered. That said, there are some technical bugs but honestly nothing game breaking. This is one of the smoothest releases Bethesda has had. While there was virtually no work done to the UI to take advantage of the PC version, there are only a few things I dislike about it really. For one, how about a means to change what the "menu" keys are (such as using SPACE rather than ENTER, which would seem easier to me)? Does that mean Bethesda spent no effort making it work? Hardly, it all works quite well and even smoother than one might anticipate with a little getting used to. Ah well, -1 point for a few silly bugs and SOME odd key assignments when navigating the UI, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this game and I haven't the heart to give it anything less than 10! Great work Bethesda, can't wait to see what's next for Skyrim :)
  53. Feb 21, 2012
    A brilliant game which kept me playing for two months. However, I felt it had gone rather hack and slashy, with most quests being go to this dungeon and kill the leader/take this item. Also the "elegant menu system" was rubbish causing me no end of problems. Seems curmudgeonly to give it less than ten but it's still a flawed masterpiece. Also how did they manage to make chickens witnessesA brilliant game which kept me playing for two months. However, I felt it had gone rather hack and slashy, with most quests being go to this dungeon and kill the leader/take this item. Also the "elegant menu system" was rubbish causing me no end of problems. Seems curmudgeonly to give it less than ten but it's still a flawed masterpiece. Also how did they manage to make chickens witnesses to a crime? I only hope in Fallout 4 they bring back the interesting quests. Expand
  54. Nov 12, 2011
    Graphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of theGraphics look good, including animations. Voice acting is pretty good. The landscape, unless you're on top of a mountain looking down onto the flatter areas, is magnificent and a huge improvement over the copy and paste job from Oblivion. The crafting/enchanting systems are a welcome edition and add a new dimension for those who want to focus on the merchant end of the game. One of the big horrifying problems though is the obviously built for consoles user interface. It's like a nightmarish laggy iTunes inspired inventory where 5000 songs are spread over only 10 album/artists. Oh, and you can't switch to album view. The worst part is, I don't know if mod tools can fix it. I feel like the UI is a big part of a game since it's basically your window into all of your game interactions. Considering you're going to be using it throughout the ENTIRE game more effort ought to be put into it.

Sure, there is some hotkey support such as pressing 'm' for the map, 'j' for the quest log and being able to pull up a favorites list with 'q'. But it all feels really tacked on. The mouse can pick items in the inventory as you'd expect but the way that the items are presented makes using the mouse feel like you're using one of those extendo-grabber-clow things to pick up a coke can. If a mod that basically presents row/columns of multiple items instead of just one GIANT screen hogging 3D render of an item and allows you to select them through that comes out, this game can be marked for finished.
  55. Apr 27, 2015
    Skyrim is now a decent game again now that modding will remain free for it. It might not be as engaging as its forebears Fallout 3 and Oblivion, but its still entertaining, especially if you know how to mod it with multiple mods.
  56. Nov 12, 2011
    The hype was justified. This isn't just the game of the year, but one of the best gaming experiences ever. Fantastic world and quite possibly the best soundtrack in a game I've ever heard. Do yourself a favour and buy this game. There is one negative thing though; your social life will suffer. Can't have everything.
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    Even though I haven't fought my first dragon yet, everything I have seen so far has just blown my mind. I am only playing on high settings dang dual core and a 5770 all with 4gigs of ram, I will be upgrading my PC soon I know that, just for this game. However, the high settings still look amazing, everything is crisp and visually appealing. Although I got a weird motion sickness thingEven though I haven't fought my first dragon yet, everything I have seen so far has just blown my mind. I am only playing on high settings dang dual core and a 5770 all with 4gigs of ram, I will be upgrading my PC soon I know that, just for this game. However, the high settings still look amazing, everything is crisp and visually appealing. Although I got a weird motion sickness thing going on with the opening scene. overall the graphics are great! (there are a few tears and artifacts every once and awhile but nothing that can't be fixed with a few tweaks I am sure) I am in love with the dual wielding of spells and weapons already! This is a game that you must get if you even moderately enjoyed any of the previous Elder Scrolls games. Expand
  58. Nov 17, 2011
    This game is definitely worth your time. It doesn't contain the ingenuity of portal 1 but it's a welcome change from the constant stream of perpetually disappointing releases emanating from the offices of Activision and EA. There are some fairly obvious visual glitches and the UI is a bit clunky but it hardly takes away from the fun of this game.
  59. Jan 14, 2012
    Amazingly huge game that, when compared to all other games out to date, deserves much better than many people are giving it the credit for. I mean, COME ON people, you whine and complain about how it's not perfect...well, has there EVER EVER been a game that was perfect? Absolutely not. Many negative reviews are from people who want something more, but they fail to realize this is aAmazingly huge game that, when compared to all other games out to date, deserves much better than many people are giving it the credit for. I mean, COME ON people, you whine and complain about how it's not perfect...well, has there EVER EVER been a game that was perfect? Absolutely not. Many negative reviews are from people who want something more, but they fail to realize this is a project that is way more than any other game out there. Yes, there are flaws, but they pale in comparison to its virtues. Pros: Amazing world, ALL dungeons are different, I'm not getting bored exploring them like in oblivion. Graphics are pretty good, although we still have people whining about that...it's Bethesda for gods sake! And overall hours and hours of possible gameplay. Quests are relatively interesting, with a good variety as far as i'm concerned. Overall, loving it.

Cons: Menu system does suck, but mods are out (and coming out) already to improve it. Have gotten one crash...but compared to oblivion this is Mac versus Windows...
  60. Nov 12, 2011
    Skyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to getSkyrim...An amazing open world non-linear dragon slaying NPC mudering bundle of enjoyment. This, is quite possibly the best elder scrolls game so far. Ruined only by the occasional bug or two which will most likely be patched and fixed. Great story, the dragon fights are amazing, and randomly scripted events. I had to muster allot of effort to rip myself away from it long enough to get some food. Buy it, Dovahkiin commands you! Expand
  61. Feb 4, 2012
    One of the most addicting games I've ever played. It's a beautiful, vast open world, filled with hundreds of things to do. You can lose hours upon hours on just exploring the world and looking at it's breathtaking scenery. The combat mechanisms are good enough to give it a right feeling. There's room for multiple playthroughs as it's impossible to go thru all of the content in just oneOne of the most addicting games I've ever played. It's a beautiful, vast open world, filled with hundreds of things to do. You can lose hours upon hours on just exploring the world and looking at it's breathtaking scenery. The combat mechanisms are good enough to give it a right feeling. There's room for multiple playthroughs as it's impossible to go thru all of the content in just one playthrough. By far superior to Oblivion.

What's there to improve then? Most of the quests are really linear. The AI is stupid at times in combat. Some of the perks are useless, like the lockpicking perk tree. Nearly every spell is more or less directly connected to combat, we could use spells like open locks which don't relate so much to combat. Luckily for pc users the mods corrects a lot of flaws found in the game. Skyrim is a wonderful game, but even then I wouldn't play it without mods once I've tried them.
  62. Nov 18, 2011
    I only have a 100 % to give to this game. Its the best elder scroll and the best game I played in years. The interface is extensible, the envrionnement is well made ( the world is small, but very well made), they improoved the AI etc... Worth every cents out of your pocket.
  63. Nov 11, 2011
    if you buy one game this year make it skyrim the amount of content is worth the price. unlike most games nowadays .ive spent hours in this game already and ive barely touched the main story the side quests and random things you fine are so good you have gamer ADD on what to do next its awesome.
  64. Nov 19, 2011
    ignoring all the bad stuff, the random crashes, the awful map and UI i can imagine that this is definately a game wortyh of the ederscrolls series. so far im only 30hours in so cant give a decent review but this game not only looks very nice (its no crysis or battlefield 3 but the graphics work) and the world is so intriguing and envolving that you can waste away hours in it.
  65. Jan 17, 2012
    Skyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game thatSkyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game that DOES take awhile for me to enjoy it thoroughly. One of my favorite aspects is the perk system, which does not fail in allowing you to use WHATEVER you want. As a fan of warriors who uses two handed swords and matching armor, this game REALLY caters to me! Let's see World of Warcraft or ANY OTHER RPG do that, as they only encourage you to use "what's best". Anyway, Skyrim is stellar in every aspect, but tough for people like me to get into... Expand
  66. Nov 14, 2011
    First and foremost I am giving this game a fair and opinionated accurate review. I am a Morrowind Fanatic, Oblivion was a let down to me in terms of everything but combat. Skyrim is acceptable, it is not as good in terms of world/storyline/etc as Morrowind. Keep in mind I have beaten the game and I will not provide spoilers but I will explain some things regarding the end of theFirst and foremost I am giving this game a fair and opinionated accurate review. I am a Morrowind Fanatic, Oblivion was a let down to me in terms of everything but combat. Skyrim is acceptable, it is not as good in terms of world/storyline/etc as Morrowind. Keep in mind I have beaten the game and I will not provide spoilers but I will explain some things regarding the end of the storyline.

Skyrim has an amazing world, brilliantly created in many ways, a few anatomy related errors, mainly the horses and glitchy animations at times. The combat has been refined from oblivion quite a bit but the melee feels like a cross between oblivion and dark messiah. The bows are also a lot more balanced and spell casting is not bad at all.

Here is the bad news (which is why it gets a lower than perfect rating). 1. lack of athletics and acrobatics skill, this is self explanatory and Bethesda should be ashamed of not adding it. 2. The storyline ends up feeling too much like Eragon the movie (not the books). 3. Anti-climatic end boss fights. 4. Main storyline quest is obviously someones bad acid trip (e.g. the dwarf underground area). 5. Melee combat still feels a little clunky. 6. There seems to be a lack of places to explore similar to oblivion or Morrowind, and even when you do find a ton of them they tend to be a lot smaller than the other two games. For an elder scrolls game, this is a problem. 7. About three epic moments earlier on in the game that make me feel pride or honor but after that, nothing at all. Game just becomes a bad mash-up of cliche and horribly predictable plot-lines. 8. End boss made me feel unfulfilled when I beat him, its common for games these days to make the second to last boss more difficult than the last one. I am not sure why, but as a fellow game developer this is offensive. 9. The sound volume is extremely low for any given game, I have to turn my speakers up to almost max to be able to hear anything, if I try to play music in the background all game sounds are canceled out and I just get a soundless game. 10. Console to pc port. This is a mistake that I simply cannot look past. Since the game uses steam for Authentication and its a console to pc port, I would be very surprised if they actually have a large mod community which any TES and Fallout series of game ends up relying on at some point, more so for the TES games, though.

Now for the good:

1. The enchanting system is well done, I personally like it better than oblivon and morrowind. 2. Crafting is a good thing, this was long overdue and its not done too poorly. 3. Dual wield 4. Better graphics (I do factor in graphics as part of a review, I use the system from the early 90s)

Here is the end rating:

Graphics 9 out of 10
    Sound 7 out of 10
    Gameplay: 8 out of 10
    Longevity: 9 out of 10 (compared to other games in todays market)
    Fun Factor: 8 out of 10

What would I personally set a value for what the game is worth?: $40.00 (usd)

This game gets an 8 out of 10, it has a lot of issues that can easily be worked out with patches, but there are just some things I cannot get past. Oddly while I prefer Morrowind more I end up giving it a lower rating based on the early 90s rating system due to the horrible graphics it had out of the box. BTW this rating is all out of the box and for the game before its patched, please keep this in mind.
  67. Nov 25, 2011
    It's hard to say anything negative when you actually realize the amount of work went into this game. The environment is masterfully designed, you just can't help yourself wanting to ride everywhere and take on whatever road brings you. But then, Bethesda has always been good at open world design. Their accumulated experience since Daggerfall is immense. But I think the real difference inIt's hard to say anything negative when you actually realize the amount of work went into this game. The environment is masterfully designed, you just can't help yourself wanting to ride everywhere and take on whatever road brings you. But then, Bethesda has always been good at open world design. Their accumulated experience since Daggerfall is immense. But I think the real difference in this game is the story telling which lacked in previous releases or even in Fallout 3. Morrowind and Oblivion were equally good games but they didn't necessarily invite you in. Skyrim on the other hand, sucks you in from the first minute. Achieving this kind of flow in an open world game is a big ask and Bethesda deserves all the credit for it. They achieved this with a a masterpiece map, with the quality and the quantity of voice acting and with the living npcs.. The character development is really rewarding and yes you do get really powerful if you spend enough time in the game. Some people are complaining about game being easy but that's the beauty of it. You get rewarded for every minute you spent in the game. There's negatives tho.. My henchman is a massive idiot or my horse can't reverse from the edges of the hills.. Some enemies cannot spot me even thought there's big ball of fire coming from my direction and yes I do like my dragons harder to deal with. It's all OK tho.. When you look at the sheer epicness of this game, all the little glitches seem to disappear. Expand
  68. Nov 20, 2011
    Catching butterflies, diving after fish, hunting deer in the wilderness. And the athmosphere. The wind, the weather. The noises, the colors. The smoothness of movement. Nobody best BETHESDA!
  69. Nov 28, 2011
    Subtract everything you hate about past elder scrolls games, add everything you love, add a better engine that does not crash on you every 10 minutes and is not a steaming pile of bugs, pretty up everything, make the faces cooler and make just about everything better and you have skyrim. This game is a masterpiece, its the game that we have been waiting for in 2011, (Most titles this yearSubtract everything you hate about past elder scrolls games, add everything you love, add a better engine that does not crash on you every 10 minutes and is not a steaming pile of bugs, pretty up everything, make the faces cooler and make just about everything better and you have skyrim. This game is a masterpiece, its the game that we have been waiting for in 2011, (Most titles this year have been bad to say the least) This game would deserve a perfect 10 if not for the super lame secondary main quest which is the civil war, you can kill the final boss in one hit, I understand that level scaling is bad in most cases, but in some cases things have to be level scaled. The annoying part is, the civil war is about the length of the dragon questline! this game would get a 9.7 in my book now, thanks to that one little detail, but since metacritic forces me to round up my score, 10 it is!
    Also, if you really want to complain about the crappy interface of how you painfully select everything and how its built for a controller, do one of the two following things : get a mod, or use a controller, we all have USB ports!
  70. Nov 19, 2011
    After eleven hours of gameplay I'm starting to really like Skyrim. But it's not without it's faults, so let's go over these before the praise.

On the whole the game Skyrim feels a bit rushed out on the market. There are a lot of rough edges that should have been worked out, but somehow weren't. That's a shame, although I'm sure patches and the modding community will take care of these.

To begin with, The main menu looks uninspired and put in at the very last minute. Morrowind had this right, Oblivion had this right, Fallout 3 even better. So why not Skyrim? It's like wrapping Lord of The Rings in recycled toilet paper and calling it a book cover.
    It took me over two hours of googling and tweaking the .ini files to get the optimal amount of detail out of the graphics. While I like tweaking and the results are quite impressive now, I don't understand why this hasn't been integrated in the launch menu; yes there is a ultra mode, but the water still looked blocky when selected. Why present such underwhelming results as 'ultra' while the real ultra *is* out there?

But when fully optimized Skyrim looks really pretty. The outer world seems a bit too barren for my taste at some points. Not enough grass or dead trees, but I guess that's something a mod could take care of later on. Inside the caves it's a different story though. Huge amounts of detail and pretty atmospheric lights, and lots of interesting loot, traps and enemies to keep you occupied. The engine runs smooth on my system so far, which is very good. I do think the running is a bit too fast compared to Oblivion or Morrowind, kinda makes me wonder what I would need a horse for anyway. Also I wish the combat system would be a bit harder. Spells or shouts don't seem that special to me when cast so easily, and I seem to have quite powerful arrows already. Maybe things will get tougher later on though, I don't know about that yet.

So far the story goes well and I quite like all the hundreds of sidequests found in books or talking to people. The scripting could have done with some refining though, as people sometimes just start to talk at the same time, or people act like I've already talked to them before while I haven't. But on the whole it's an enjoyable experience.

Skyrim is a great game that could have been awesome. To me it's still a 8 right now, but I'll rate it a 9 in advance, for I trust the bumps will be smoothed out either way or another in the near future.
  71. Nov 12, 2011
    If you're having issues with the game crashing:

1. Set your audio to 24 bit, 44.1Hz
    2. Be sure you have the latest graphics card drivers
    3. On the main menu, go to Data Files and turn on "Load Loose Files".
  72. Sep 25, 2012
    Why aren''t you playing this? It's easily the best Bethesda game so far. Explorations is as fun as ever and you can make whatever character you want from the get-go.
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    I can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT justI can't defend this game from not getting some decent updates in a couple areas , mainly UI but most of the negative complaints are simply untrue. The graphics are in fact great and the game runs really smooth on Ultra, but I'm sure if you have an older system you won't see it that way. If you played the game for an hour, you didn't see enough of it to get past the part where it's NOT just Oblivion reskinned. You can in fact hotkey things directly from favorites and even choose which hand they are assigned to. I NEVER have to go into the menus unless I level up or switch gear out for something better/preferred. Game is completely stable and outside of a few wonky textures and the same logic problems I find in every single game, I'm enjoying myself. More of the same? Please let me know when you are playing a truly original game in this generation of games. Oh.. and another thing. All the people crying about this game being too console like will change their song in a few months when mods start coming out. Give it a year or more and the praise will be universal that PC is the way to go. Expand
  74. Nov 24, 2011
    Metacritic users who rate this game below a 5 can suck it, because Skyrim delivers in every possible way for those of you who want to immerse yourself in a fantasy world. Buy it, you will have spent your money as wisely as possible this holiday season.
  75. Nov 11, 2011
    (first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the(first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the previous games they'll realize it is for the better.

Overall its a dam good game. If you don't like morrowind or oblivion then you won't like this game since free form RPGs probably aren't your thing so you should probably play something quite linear like the witcher 1 or 2. If you do like the previous games you may first feel a little upset with a few of the minor changes but once you realize why there in there you'll notice it does in fact provide a better game play experience. The vast majority of people having graphical problems are either on PS3 or very low end systems. There are a few crashes but for me at least they are rare (every 3 hours or so) and it is very quick to get back into the game. But with the quality Bethesda provides with all their games there is no doubt that patches will be released to tweak these problems and they don't impact on the games fun factor at all.

The graphics are very nice and up there with any other fantasy setting game around and a nice upgrade over previous titles (I only compare with fantasy games as realism in graphics isn't the style they generally go for, meaning it is ridiculous and idiotic to compare graphics between this and battlefield 3 as the graphical styles are completely different, however it can be compared with The Witcher 2 and is probably equal though a little better than it in graphic wise).

All of the complaints about the graphics I've seen are more because they dislike the graphical style (fantasy with a very slightly cartoon appearance) but the graphics are actually really nice. Of course the PS3 version of the game has graphical glitches, but that is more difficulty issues with the PS3 architecture than anything else. I haven't had any major graphical problems over 3 different PC setups and it all runs very smoothly. The only poorer aspect of the graphics from me is perhaps the particle effects for some of the fire effects but its a moot point and as a graphics programmer I can be a little picky there. The only major glitches I've seen are to do with animation transitions but again its kind of moot and doesn't break the immersion of the game.

The AI path-finding also seems to have undergone an overhaul for the better. The AI is very good at navigating the game world and even in the few instances when it gets stuck it sorts itself out very quickly. There is still the problem of being able to trick it by placing yourself in a position it can't get too (such as on a cliff) and shooting it from afar, but that is really kind of cheating anyway and is an AI problem that will always be around for these games (other games get around it by simply preventing the player from moving to those locations, they can't do that in elder scrolls as it goes against their design philosophy of being able to go anywhere).

Storyline wise the game is much better than oblivion (on par with morrowind which I enjoyed) and the voice acting throughout the game is head and shoulders above oblivion. Again with any elder scrolls game its the world and side quests that make up the meat of the game and here they don't disappoint.

The combat system that takes about 20-40 mins to an to get used to but once you do you quickly realize how much better it is. There is actually some depth to it now rather then just hack and slash like oblivion (though it did try to be different). It is much easier to get the hang of than the Witcher though. The auto leveling system is also better since like the famous MMM mods you can still run into creatures of a higher level. it good still do with some more tweaking so that less weaker creatures appear (most bandits seem to be quite low level) but it is dam fun killing them so doesn't ruin the game at all.

The gameplay has also been improved with the addition of small gameplay elements such as a crafting system, overhaul of skills (for the better), roleplaying aspects (not something I really enjoy but nice addition all the same) like chopping firewood to earn a little extra gold and many more things. I particularly like the new spell, enchantment and alchemy systems which have more depth but are simpler to play with.
  76. Jul 18, 2012
    For all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrallFor all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrall you with a storyline, to develop relationships and make you care. The main problem for me in Skyrim is this storyline. Dragons! 15 year old boys may find the idea of battling dragons awesome, but Bethesda can do so much more than this. There's a fine line between generic fantasy games and the more impressive and stylized ones, and I worry that by importing the fantastic trope that is dragons into your game you really only de-value your own concept. Hoist by one's own Petard, as they say. Couple of other things: dungeons. In Oblivion and Morrowind there was variety in what you could find within. In skyrim, you always know it's going to be a sh*t load of Draugr, and if you're bloody lucky, a couple of frostbite spiders. Where did that variety go!? Quests: There are some really fantastic ones, but at times I feel there's a lack of invention. The go get me this item approach to quests only carries you so far. Bethesda needs to innovate rather than play it safe. Combat: Mods are a must for this, but only available to pc users. I really can't see that the combat has improved since oblivion, just evolved in a parallel direction. Still no inbuilt parry system or anything, a shame. But I'm saying these things as someone who loves the elder scrolls, and believes in it. Beautiful game, with loving attention given to its 'Nordic' Lore. What I'm trying to say though is that Bethesda has set its sights on making the ultimate 'immersive' experience; a game where you can do anything, go anywhere, be anyone. But for that to have been truly realised, more attention would have been needed to the depth of the 'being', the 'doing' and so forth. Just because I can go anywhere and do anything, does not mean I will want to if there's inadequate depth to those in-game acts. For me, the answer is making us care more about characters, relationships, be more shocked and gripped by plot. Skyrim calls out for this if only to do justice to the huge effort put into crafting its glorious world. Expand
  77. Dec 18, 2011
    After 50 hours log into to this game, I still found this game is an empty and hollow game. Skyrim has hardly any immersion. The story is bland. You can tell they created the bells and whistles THEN created the storyline around it. Which is sad. As an RPG, it should be more concerned with the story. Then the bells and whistles pull you in even further. Bethesda is losing track on what madeAfter 50 hours log into to this game, I still found this game is an empty and hollow game. Skyrim has hardly any immersion. The story is bland. You can tell they created the bells and whistles THEN created the storyline around it. Which is sad. As an RPG, it should be more concerned with the story. Then the bells and whistles pull you in even further. Bethesda is losing track on what made morrowind so enjoyable. To go from Morrowind to Oblivion then to Skyrim are huge steps backwards. This game was released with lots of bugs and even broken on PS3, Bethesda clearly choose quantity over quality. They do not even bother to polish the game. I'd say Don't buy it right now. Wait for the price to come down to $20. Expand
  78. Nov 15, 2011
    -- Skyrim has a large world, tons of content, and excellent quests. A compelling story makes you want to not stop playing. The graphics are top notch, the audio is great, and most of the animations are good. If you want a game that will give you many hours (40 hours in and I'm still not done, but I like to see and do everything) and you like fantasy single-player role playing games,-- Skyrim has a large world, tons of content, and excellent quests. A compelling story makes you want to not stop playing. The graphics are top notch, the audio is great, and most of the animations are good. If you want a game that will give you many hours (40 hours in and I'm still not done, but I like to see and do everything) and you like fantasy single-player role playing games, this is a game for you.

Now, the detractors:
    -- 1) The interface on the PC is poor. The interface for the PC looks like it was an afterthought from controller based consoles. The largest detractor is the reliance on a favorites menu to select items to equip. There isn't a favorite item equip hot-swap system, which causes you to scroll through menus repeatedly to switch between magic and weapons. Standard PC RPG elements are missing, such as a minimap, hotbar, backpack, etc. The biggest detractor is the hotbar and customizable keys for specific spells and equipment.

-- Information on the interface is scarce. You cannot see most of the information you need at a glance, such as what all the map locations you've visited and cleared (you must highlight each one). I haven't seen a note interface for the map, either.

-- 2) Movement system is extremely poor.

-- You can jump, walk, and run with movement keys. You cannot tell if something is too steep to run up, aside from sliding back or stopping. There isn't a climbing system, contrary to statements of "you can climb everything" prior to the game's release. If you are slightly sliding, you cannot jump. This leads to getting stuck for a bit while you figure out how to get out of the predicament you got yourself into. You cannot vault over fences or rocks, if your jump is inadequate. You cannot pull yourself up onto a ledge, if it is 1 centimeter higher than your jump height.
    -- 3) Graphical glitches such as frame rate drops and texture issues on models exist with my system (core i7-950 with nvidia 560). Crashes occur without details. Since launch just occurred, I'm hoping for patches that will eventually solve these problems. My solution is to save often and restart, when textures do not render and frame rates drop to 1 per second.

-----

-- With the size of the world, the huge amount of content, and the well done quests, dialog, books, combat, and many other interesting aspects to the game. I give this game a realistic 8. It would be a 9 with a better interface. It would be a 10 with a solid movement system and interface for PC.
  79. Nov 12, 2011
    Game looks spectacular. It's not as rewarding as Oblivion or Morrowind. Every quest requires that you trek across the map to one point to progress...only to have to trek to the furthest point on the map from that position to get to the next quest point. This is annoying for two reasons: 1.) Blockades ala Fallout 3 prevent you from shortcutting. Mountains will block your progress atGame looks spectacular. It's not as rewarding as Oblivion or Morrowind. Every quest requires that you trek across the map to one point to progress...only to have to trek to the furthest point on the map from that position to get to the next quest point. This is annoying for two reasons: 1.) Blockades ala Fallout 3 prevent you from shortcutting. Mountains will block your progress at every turn. 2.) Anticipate a lot of boring walking and getting dead-ended by cliffs.

Two other gripes. The writing is well below Morrowind and Oblivion. Oddly the books you will find are 10 times bigger...of 10x poorer writing. The voice acting is all over the place, and most of the characters talk in a very slow, ponderous style. It takes forever to get through these character's monologues....just to discover you have to trek all the way to the other side of skyrim to progress in the quest. The characters say almost nothing of interest. For instance asking the Greybeards about the dragonborn, results in an almost 3 minute monologue that ends with, "we don't really know why some are dragonborn, but they come in a time of need." Wow thanks! That was rewarding!

The speech options are weird. Over half of them are sarcastic and off-putting. You can either ask questions, or give d-bag responses. Really messes with the atmosphere of the game.

Game looks like a million bucks. Questing is harder than Oblivion and Morrowind, in that they are harder to stumble upon. NPC's will talk your ear off...with no pay off. While I like the fact the books have been expanded...the writing is very poor. Quests essentially work like this: Go to place that is furthest possible from quest giver. After completing some minor task, trek all the way to the furthest possible place from that point in the quest. Complete some minor task. It just seems like they are stretching the play hours.

The game looks and runs great. It's not Oblivion or Morrowind. This may be good or bad depending on how you like these games. Expect to get your ear talked off about a lot of unimportant information. Expect to criss-cross the map for quests designed to lengthen the game experience. This game is probably much shorter than Oblivion or Morrowind. Also, as great as the game looks, Morrowind and Cyrodill had more interesting architecture and environments.
  80. Nov 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a massive world, far bigger than we expected. Larger than Morrowind and Oblivion combined I would say. Too many locations to name, some very deep hand crafted dungeons, some simple buildings. I have spent 60 hours doing quests back to back and there is no sign of me running out of quests any time soon. The graphics for the pc version are below PC standards and the controls areSkyrim is a massive world, far bigger than we expected. Larger than Morrowind and Oblivion combined I would say. Too many locations to name, some very deep hand crafted dungeons, some simple buildings. I have spent 60 hours doing quests back to back and there is no sign of me running out of quests any time soon. The graphics for the pc version are below PC standards and the controls are right out of a console and very annoying, leading to wrong selections, the controls are the worst part of this game to be honest but you can live with them if you sware at bethesda for leaving them on the PC version a lot. The faction quests for the companions and others tend to be short, people are finding these to be a disappointment once they play the game for a while. The Civil war quests are also short but the main quest is long and lots of fun. There are 26 hours worth of quests in the main quest if you walk everywhere. This is the best Elder Scrolls game to date by a long shot, it delivers features previous games only got via mods, making many of the old favourite mods obselete because the game supports those things as standard now. It would be perfect if not for the UI and graphics but since I do not believe in perfect scores, I would give it a 9 but the UI it self is so annoying I am going to give it an 8 instead. Anybody buying this game is going to love it because all those who got it so far, already do. I am not joking.... this is going to be classic... Expand
  81. Feb 20, 2012
    Following the bugs and issues around the launch I initially reviewed Skrim much lower. Oblivion was a 9/10 and Morrowind a 10. However, a few months on and with many problems patched out the game was improving rapidly. Then the mods came addressing all the console based limitations of the original and adding massive value to the game as a whole. For opening up the creation kit and theFollowing the bugs and issues around the launch I initially reviewed Skrim much lower. Oblivion was a 9/10 and Morrowind a 10. However, a few months on and with many problems patched out the game was improving rapidly. Then the mods came addressing all the console based limitations of the original and adding massive value to the game as a whole. For opening up the creation kit and the sheer strength of the modding community response which would not have been possible if Bethesda did not encourage it. This has gone from an ok to another classic. Expand
  82. Jun 29, 2014
    Skyrim is a truly great game. A huge world is open for you to explore when you step out of the tutorial, pick and chose what you want to do and except for a few instances where a dungeon is locked to a certain questline, the game doesn't try to stop you.

There are so many community made mods for this game that the game has near infinite replayability, even the vanilla version of the game already has months worth of content, the amount of game you get from it is just staggering.

The game has a few bugs, but nothing major and the unofficial community made patches fixes most of them easily. Not enough to knock it off a solid perfect 10
  83. Nov 14, 2011
    I preordered Skyrim hoping it to be better than Oblivion that was a flawed but fun game from Bethesda, in its own right it was good but compared to Morrowind from 2003 it was poor.
    After playing over 20 hours of Skyrim since the 11/11/11 I can say they have done a great job and Skyrim surpasses Oblivion and sits shoulder to shoulder with Morrowind.
    Many of the complex themes in Morrowind

Many of the complex themes in Morrowind such as the politics have returned and Skyrim is a better game because of it, the soundtrack is good but doesn't stand out as anything special. The game looks lovely graphically and the art direction is top-notch it avoids the ugly problems of Oblivion and Fallout 3.

The game gets an 8 however due to occasional crashes that I'm sure will be patched as well as occasional memory leaks and fps drops. The game overall is excellent and feels like a true sequel to Morrowind.
  84. Mar 20, 2012
    I pre-ordered the game, so I've been playing it on Steam since day one. I've loved every minute of it and mods are just adding to the fun. 413 hrs in... it's STILL GETTING BETTER!!!
  85. Nov 15, 2011
    Having racked up hundreds of hours of gameplay in both Morrowind and Oblivion I was looking forward to the release of a new Elder Scrolls game. However, as the release date got closer and they still weren't really talking about the PC version of the game, I started to get a little nervous. When the game turned up, I found that the result was mostly good...

The game itself, is fantastic.

The game itself, is fantastic. The world is huge and amazingly detailed. And, while you still get a fair amount of repeated dialogue from passing NPCs, it's not nearly as bad as Oblivion. The locations are quite varied and the levels of the enemies are far more balanced... you'll still run into the odd low level bandit in the higher levels while giants will continue to squish you for looking at them funny from level 1 till quite a way into the game (they're tougher than dragons!).

This is probably the first Elder Scrolls game, since Daggerfall, that I've actually WANTED to do more of the main quest! I've played Oblivion for over 200 hours and still haven't got round to doing the main quest. In fact the choices of quests can sometimes be a little overwhelming. This is certainly a game that intends to give you value for money.

Sadly, the PC version doesn't really take advantage of the platform. It's still a DirectX 9 game, so no advanced graphics features and it's still restricted to using 2Gb of RAM (although this can be 'fixed' with a mod). The UI is less that perfect, requiring a lot of necessary scrolling and clicking to find out some of the most basic information (although I rather liked the new skill page... I know a lot of people don't). It doesn't help that mouse location and clicks within the menu tend to be a little hit and miss as well. Is it something that will stop be recommending the game? No, definitely not, but it needs mentioning. Also.... press to exit out of containers (or click on the very left of the screen)... a somewhat annoying 'feature' that seems to have caught a few people out. No idea why they didn't allow to be used as well.

Already the mod scene is hard at work creating even better textures and improvements to Skyrim. Hopefully, once Bethesda release a couple of patches (and maybe a DirectX 11 update to really take advantage of the PC) it'll be worth 10 out of 10. Either way... buy it!
  86. Nov 22, 2011
    Best game I have ever played. I was a huge fan of 3, and I liked 4, but 5 is the BEST EVER! I have played for about 200 hours and still haven't beaten the game.
  87. Nov 11, 2011
    First off Epic!! is an understatment. What Bethesda have done here is everything they said they would, nothing more and nothing less, people seem to forget this and had too high expectations. Since the game was announced Todd Howard has been clear in interviews etc that the game graphicly would still be dx9 with a few improvements! The approach of improving what you already know has provedFirst off Epic!! is an understatment. What Bethesda have done here is everything they said they would, nothing more and nothing less, people seem to forget this and had too high expectations. Since the game was announced Todd Howard has been clear in interviews etc that the game graphicly would still be dx9 with a few improvements! The approach of improving what you already know has proved to be successful rather than trying to rush out a game this big with new tech, so what it hasnt got dx11 graphics and massive textures!! I still looks good and means you can have an absolutly massive world on one disk!! aside from this, radient story = win characters = win new unique looking and sounding races = win epic views and scenery = win even the damn horses have been sorted out! and oh did i meantion dragons are absolutly epic!!!, dont get me wrong there are a few tiny little flaws like npcs gettign stuck etc in the game but compared to what they have achieved and the scope of this emmense emmersive world they fade into Oblivion!! Right im going to loose a week of my life playing it now lol Expand
  88. May 10, 2012
    This game is amazing. If you haven't heard of it, you've missed something. But don't worry! That's why you need to buy it and try it. You'll never regret it. The best RPG in a decade!
  89. Nov 26, 2011
    A true masterpiece, it's hard to say what RPG game will surpass it in 2012. The start is absolutely epic the build up is phenomonal once you have the world to your self, the world is alive and that's a good thing and even after you leave it, it will still feel alive that is a key point to a non-linear game and Bestheda have nailed it, The story and immersion are the things that are neededA true masterpiece, it's hard to say what RPG game will surpass it in 2012. The start is absolutely epic the build up is phenomonal once you have the world to your self, the world is alive and that's a good thing and even after you leave it, it will still feel alive that is a key point to a non-linear game and Bestheda have nailed it, The story and immersion are the things that are needed most in an RPG game and this game exceeds it, however there are a few glitches and bugs but they will eventually get fixed. DRAGONS FTW Expand
  90. Feb 18, 2012
    Without writing an essay, most of you know what to expect from Skyrim so i'll skip all that and just say that this game loses two points for two reasons to earn 8/10 and they are:

1.Too many bugs to poke a stick at (can recall having to reload earlier saves at least twice due to game-breaking glitches). 2. An extremely primitive combat system, especially by today's standards. Besides

2. An extremely primitive combat system, especially by today's standards.

Besides these, Skyrim is a beautiful, rich and very immersive game that one should take their time to fully absorb its content.
  91. Dec 5, 2014
    Really good game, there is a hundreds things to do and hundreds things to explore. It might get little bit repetitive at the end but anyway stil AAA RPG game.
  92. Nov 16, 2011
    Oh. My. god.

Where do I start? Never played any other Bethesda game apart from Oblivion, which I loved. I really only play WoW these days, occasionally. I took 8 days off work to play this, and I'm so glad I did. I'm on PC, so there are issues - I don't like the consolisation, and with it's frustrating keybinding bugs, that took ages to get my head around, but it's fine now. Apart
    Oh. My. god.

I took 8 days off work to play this, and I'm so glad I did.

I'm on PC, so there are issues - I don't like the consolisation, and with it's frustrating keybinding bugs, that took ages to get my head around, but it's fine now. Apart from that, it's never bugged out on me. Also, trying to manage three different characters is practically impossible - I deal with it by having three backup save folders, and I believe there is already a mod to help this.

Those are the only downsides, everything, EVERYTHING else, is STUNNING.

The music is incredible, the sound effects are dramatic, peaceful, war-like, creepy, depending on the context, and absolutely PERFECT.

Graphics, are ASTONISHING.

As for playability, I woke at 9am to play it yesterday, didn't get breakfast until 5:35PM, I was so engrossed.

Loving the stories, the quests, the perks, the skills, the dungeons, the baddies, the NPC's, there's literally nothing that doesn't make me smile hugely. And if you check YOUTUBE anytime, you can see any number of fantastic videos, all AI, videos that would be scripted cut-scenes on other games.

As for the dragons, I damn near crapped myself. :)

Skyrim is a MASTERPIECE.
  93. Mar 30, 2012
    Needless to say this game is awesome... I gave it a 9. Let me just list off a few of the issues I have that kept it from a perfect 10: Money System: Once you can Smith and Enchant money loses all worth. No weapon, no enchantment, no armor you find in the real world can compare what you can make and enchant yourself. This means if you are an item whore like me and sell your crap you areNeedless to say this game is awesome... I gave it a 9. Let me just list off a few of the issues I have that kept it from a perfect 10: Money System: Once you can Smith and Enchant money loses all worth. No weapon, no enchantment, no armor you find in the real world can compare what you can make and enchant yourself. This means if you are an item whore like me and sell your crap you are sitting on 500,000+ gold. Why? Because there is nothing to purchase. If there is a DLC they need to add some "store bought items ONLY" to the shops. And GOOD items. Make having money worth something. Just a few to many fetch quests. "Travel clear across the world to drop off this paper and come back" happens too often. Lastly during the main quest final fights... you will see A LOT of enemies simply render into the world. This is the PC... we have GPUs, CPUs and RAM to render more than 10 enemies on the screen at a time. Render 50 enemies and lets have a fight. Other than those nitpicky things which keeps it from a perfect 10 the game was great. And those can really be overlooked and have no real smash on the quality of the game. Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    The greatest challenge. Not making a full blown essay concerning The Elder Scrolls. Being a fan of TES since 96 with my first entry by Daggerfall, I have grown attached to each of the games for varying reasons. Daggerfall had unparalleled depth and customization with challenging dungeons paired with an atmospheric score. Morrowind had a truly engaging story and unique, interesting varietyThe greatest challenge. Not making a full blown essay concerning The Elder Scrolls. Being a fan of TES since 96 with my first entry by Daggerfall, I have grown attached to each of the games for varying reasons. Daggerfall had unparalleled depth and customization with challenging dungeons paired with an atmospheric score. Morrowind had a truly engaging story and unique, interesting variety of landscape. Oblivion had worked on the ARTS combat that Morrowind had failed to achieve, and gave us a look at next generation open world visuals.

Now Skyrim comes along and takes a lot of the things I enjoy from each, and blends them together. While the product may be rather simplified, perhaps too many "ingredients" at this point may overflow the already heavy cup. That being said, I feel a lot of the steps are taken in the right direction despite my love for extreme complexity and depth. Skyrim somehow manages to make it work, and still attempt to please me with concepts of old, re-imagined through various systems, like the perk trees.

Magic while a bit more skewed has really drawn the appropriate feeling of power, and combat while still a bit simple, feels far more refined and physical from Oblivion. Exploration feels varied, especially after Oblivion. The scenery is also truly gorgeous. I can hardly tell it's a DX9 game and multiplatform title at times, and it runs buttery smooth on my rig. Voice acting is a step up. Not quite there yet, but a considerable improvement from previous. The focus and attention to detail for all the little things is there, but remain subtle. Some things you might not even notice the first time around. It fleshes things out a bit more, and makes them feel more organic to the virtual world. Animations are also improved from previous titles. The score is outstanding as per usual, ranging from a powerful, sweeping choir to a soft, atmospheric melody. Then there's the Dragons. Their behaviour, their established language, their combat, their animations, etc. I could go on, but I digress.

The game is not without its flaws however. A few CTDs here, a few minor bugs there (I have been fortunate in my play time, but it is hard to ignore the fact that issues do exist for others), and some things feel a bit lacking in content. However, it's not enough to detract from the gameplay in my case.

Will it take place as my favourite TES game of all time? I still think Daggerfall may keep that place. Skyrim however takes a close second. Only time will tell how Bethesda will manage to one up Skyrim though. But until then, I await to see what the community will improve.
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    Since it was first announced I was very pessimistic about Skyrim after the dry taste Oblivion left in my mouth, having to return to Morrowind to make myself feel good again about the state of the Elder Scrolls. Since then I avoided all media and news related to it, besides the negative rumours such as it still using Gamebryo, etc. I got suckered into getting it with a friend and afterSince it was first announced I was very pessimistic about Skyrim after the dry taste Oblivion left in my mouth, having to return to Morrowind to make myself feel good again about the state of the Elder Scrolls. Since then I avoided all media and news related to it, besides the negative rumours such as it still using Gamebryo, etc. I got suckered into getting it with a friend and after grudgingly starting it, I realized it was early morning and I had put aside nearly all my work for that day. I was blown away by literally everything that I saw, it felt like a return to my favourite Morrowind and more. I lost myself in the landscape and sounds of Skyrim, while thinking to myself if this was actually a real game. I've only done the very intro quests to the main storyline and since then I have spent about 16 hours only in and around the area of Whiterun and Riften. I'm so glad that Bethesda got past the trend it was having with Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm very confident that I will be playing Skyrim for a long time especially when mods show up. I was also completely blown away by the game's low size and requirements for such a full and gorgeous game. Expand
  96. Dec 9, 2011
    Bethesda, as always, make a great game with many bugs. It's so strange that a game with so many bugs is also so great! Honestly, I never had many bugs with the game, maybe I was lucky. Now with patch 1.3 things are also better.
    I suggest to everyone to make this experience! This game is infinite. You have realy many many things to do and the main story is much better than that of Oblivion.
    After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, I was feared that also this could disappoint me, but I was happily wrong :) Buy it!
  97. Nov 18, 2011
    Seems that Bethesda has learned from the past especially with Oblivion and Morrowind. The game itself takes good points from both, removes the rather broken leveling system from Oblivion, and fixes the story. Adding the scale and scope from morrowind, and leaving you to do your own thing. Before I had started the main quest, I'd already picked up 10 other main quests and had nearly 30Seems that Bethesda has learned from the past especially with Oblivion and Morrowind. The game itself takes good points from both, removes the rather broken leveling system from Oblivion, and fixes the story. Adding the scale and scope from morrowind, and leaving you to do your own thing. Before I had started the main quest, I'd already picked up 10 other main quests and had nearly 30 misc quests in my log simply from meeting and exploring. Graphics on it's own, are breathtaking. The combat system has been changed, some may like it, others may hate it. That doesn't mean there aren't flaws. Some textures are low res, blood, overlays for snow, there's a few problems with FXAA, quest failures because it can't find voice files(rare), but can be fixed by extracting the BSA. The AI is smarter than in previous games, but will still do silly things. Like keep a ward up for a long period if you charge a spell. There are some curious bugs, like CTD's if you're using a higher sound output than 24bit@41k, and some people report TDR problems with nvidia cards. On ultra high, performance wise on a 965x4 w/evga 560, is very good. Lots of light sources can cause it to choke, so can shadows. Though the difference between high and ultra shadows is minimal. The UI is very consolish, hopefully some folks like DaRN will fix that soon. If I could give partial points I would. The game is more of an 8.2-8.75 than a 9.

As it stands now I have nearly 60 hours in gameplay, and am still enjoying it.
  98. Nov 30, 2011
    I was sitting around last night and I finally realized why I like Skyrim so much. It reminds me of backpacking. You don't go backpacking to win the war or save the damsel; you go to wander the countryside and see the sites and pick up cool sticks. Skyrim realizes this goal better than any other game, period. There are three reasons why: quests, dungeons, and the visuals. The questI was sitting around last night and I finally realized why I like Skyrim so much. It reminds me of backpacking. You don't go backpacking to win the war or save the damsel; you go to wander the countryside and see the sites and pick up cool sticks. Skyrim realizes this goal better than any other game, period. There are three reasons why: quests, dungeons, and the visuals. The quest structure is loose enough to give you freedom but well written enough to inspire you to continue. I love getting the push out the door to go to place X, but not being punished if I get sidetracked to place Y. The dungeon structure is incredible. There is a slight amount of similarity simply to retain realism, but each dungeon I've been in is dramatically different than others. Long gone are the cookie cutter aelid(?) ruins and gateworlds of Oblivion. The variety is simply stunning. Finally, the visuals are great. Not just good, and not super-fantastic, but well done indeed. More than the simple graphical rendering is the way Bethesda realized the world and the ecosystems. All you need to do is watch Planet Earth to grasp that "tundra" does not equal "barren wasteland," and the designers have created a vibrant land that does Northern Europe proud. Along the same lines is the cultural ambience of Skyrim. There is racism and tension over who should rule the land, and both come off as very real. Some of the comments by the peasantry is a little goofy, but do yourself a favor and listen to the jarls talking with their minions. Absolutely stunning dialouge. Now, to the more generic topics... Combat is well done. It seems to me that combat in Skyrim is as interesting as you want to make it. Want to be a guy w/ heavy armor and no mobility that can take it and blast it? Go ahead. Want to be the guy (me) who dances around in combat? Want to snipe? Want to... You get the idea. My advice is to pick the play style you like, though. Skyrim will let you do whatever you want, but if that bores you, it doesn't care... The sound also deserves mention. A pro reviewer (sorry for the lack of the cite!) said something along the lines of "when a dragon lands on you and the soundtrack starts playing, you WILL pee your pants." Man were they right. Mute the sound, meh, another fight. Have the music and flame effects blaring and your begin to appreciate why games are called multimedia... (Side note: I've got the song running through my head as I write this. Nice...) Finally on my list of total awesomeness is the load times. I'm playing on a laptop w/ decent specs, and this game runs on High visuals and almost NO load times. I'm talking 5 seconds tops. For such a huge world that looks great, this is flat out unbeliveable. In fact, it essentially nullifies my biggest gripe, which is......... CRASHES! Yep, they're there, but because I can reboot the game and get back to playing in 30 seconds flat, it much easier to treat them as a reminder to move around in real life than as game breaking issues. My second biggest gripe is the lack of, hmmm, how about epicness with regards to the supposedly high-level characters in the game. If you're one of the top dogs in the Companions, why are you dressed in steel armor and not Ebony? Why aren't the jarls weilding souped up versions of weapons? "So you can't get their stuff early" just doesn't seem good enough. Bethesda, try a little harder next time, please. To be fair, though, the rest of the world levels MUCH better and more realistically than in Oblivion/Fallout 3. Lastly, this game really shouldn't win any awards for storylines. This isn't really a slam, because they are nice enough, but a Witcher 2/Mass Effect/Dragon Age this is not. If you're SOLELY in a game for the storyline, you might wait a bit for this one. Or not, and read the tons of books lying around in the game... Lastly, I'd like to make a comment about the PC interface: I can't comment. I went into the game knowing I'd be playing with a controller, and it's quite well done (plus you can still quicksave on the keyboard! Yay!) If you're dead set on using a mouse/keyboard, just remember to check the modding community; they've got some nice fixes. All in all, this game is the best exploration/open world game to date. It is freedom, exploration, and fun bundled up and delivered to your computer. Enjoy the hike! Expand
  99. Nov 16, 2011
    After twenty-five plus hours played I still have not got around to finishing the main storyline. My quest log is loaded and I have not even explored all of the major towns yet. This game is packed with content and is literally the most fun I've had with a game in years. The combat system, for the most part is familiar to that of Oblivion, but the executions are absoultely awesome. SoAfter twenty-five plus hours played I still have not got around to finishing the main storyline. My quest log is loaded and I have not even explored all of the major towns yet. This game is packed with content and is literally the most fun I've had with a game in years. The combat system, for the most part is familiar to that of Oblivion, but the executions are absoultely awesome. So far I have not encountered any game breaking bugs, or anything really noticeable. The wait for this game was worth it (now the wait for mods begins) and I will be playing it for years to come. Expand
  100. Feb 11, 2012
    First 50 hours or so are very good but then this game flatlines very badly and becomes quite a deflating experience. Take the smithing skill for instance, great fun at first but then, along with enchanting and alchemy, it becomes part of a game-breaking triumvirate and after say level 30, the only way anyone should die is by falling off a cliff in a snowstorm.. Not long after this you'veFirst 50 hours or so are very good but then this game flatlines very badly and becomes quite a deflating experience. Take the smithing skill for instance, great fun at first but then, along with enchanting and alchemy, it becomes part of a game-breaking triumvirate and after say level 30, the only way anyone should die is by falling off a cliff in a snowstorm.. Not long after this you've probably had your fill of the 'radiant quests' (stupid name for a srupid concept) and you are almost certainly tearing your hair out after being told to clear out Fort Respawn for the 3rd time. Then comes the problem of where to put all those unused perks - hmmm do I really need a running power attack when a standing one takes care of most enemies? Do I really need prices to be lower when I've got 80,000 gold and no useful way of getting rid of it? Why the hell would I need poisons? Why should I put any perks in blocking at all? The basic shield bash seems overpowered as it is. Persuasion attempts are 30% easier? You mean you can fail them? I have several items that do what the perks do anyway. I finished the whole thieves guild line of quests without putting any perks in sneaking, lockpicking, pickpocket or speech and only lockpicking and speech got out of the 20s. I didn't even bother to try out half of the shouts some of which can only be described politely as stupidly redundant. I'll give it an 8 (barely) because it was quite engrossing for a decent amount of time. But in no way is this an overall improvement on Oblivion and I can't really see what they can do next with this series. I had much more fun playing The Dragon Knight Saga. People who give this 10 should really try to use different parts of their brain for once. Expand

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012