8.1

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Played this for about 4 hours without any glitches or crashes, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! The only complain would be about the shadows in the game. They flicker too much, but nothing that modders can't solve.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim... This game is absolutely stunning. Run to the nearest shop at once and buy this masterpiece, your life will never be the same.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm not gunna lie, this game is amazing, brilliant, outstanding, a masterpiece. I'm only filling the rest up because i need one hundred and fifty characters.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    Summery in a few words - "The BEST Elder Scrolls to date". Even those who loved Morrowind and liked Oblivion will LOVE this one.

Though some PC specific UI would have been nice. Like implementation of hotkeys. Still the sheer number of content will surprise you....... guaranteed.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    What a great game. Oblivion was amazing, but it had its (minimal) flaws, they've been ironed out in this iteration; I have nothing to complain about: Great story; great gameplay (who doesn't like dual-wielding spells); exceptional graphics. To be honest, I don't know how TES VI will top Skyrim.
  6. Nov 28, 2011
    Subtract everything you hate about past elder scrolls games, add everything you love, add a better engine that does not crash on you every 10 minutes and is not a steaming pile of bugs, pretty up everything, make the faces cooler and make just about everything better and you have skyrim. This game is a masterpiece, its the game that we have been waiting for in 2011, (Most titles this yearSubtract everything you hate about past elder scrolls games, add everything you love, add a better engine that does not crash on you every 10 minutes and is not a steaming pile of bugs, pretty up everything, make the faces cooler and make just about everything better and you have skyrim. This game is a masterpiece, its the game that we have been waiting for in 2011, (Most titles this year have been bad to say the least) This game would deserve a perfect 10 if not for the super lame secondary main quest which is the civil war, you can kill the final boss in one hit, I understand that level scaling is bad in most cases, but in some cases things have to be level scaled. The annoying part is, the civil war is about the length of the dragon questline! this game would get a 9.7 in my book now, thanks to that one little detail, but since metacritic forces me to round up my score, 10 it is!
    Also, if you really want to complain about the crappy interface of how you painfully select everything and how its built for a controller, do one of the two following things : get a mod, or use a controller, we all have USB ports!
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    Im basically playing this game now for 9 hours straight... and it actually got released in my territory 9 hours ago. I refuse to believe that anyone who loves the genre would be disappointed with this game.
    On an entertainment and time per dollar scale this
    On an entertainment and time per dollar scale this game tops EVERYTHING!
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin where to begin... How about its amazing graphics, or possibly its large and expansive world, its unending game play the dungeons are large and complex complete with puzzles of various designs.The new dual-wielding system is amazing and runs flawlessly with each other. and you can get flipping married!!! Hire Mercs. Expand
  9. Nov 11, 2011
    if you buy one game this year make it skyrim the amount of content is worth the price. unlike most games nowadays .ive spent hours in this game already and ive barely touched the main story the side quests and random things you fine are so good you have gamer ADD on what to do next its awesome.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    If you buy one game this year, this is the one to get, it's the best elder scrolls yet, minus the ui, and the graphical errors, it would be perfect, but those will get patched and modded out. Bottom line BUY THIS GAME
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    Easily the best game Bethesda has ever put out, wait... NO! Its the Best game anyone has ever put out!
    The greatest game i've ever played, the best RPG of all time. A world fully realized in a video game.
    SYRIM! Buy it, play it, love it.
  12. Nov 11, 2011
    Even though I haven't fought my first dragon yet, everything I have seen so far has just blown my mind. I am only playing on high settings dang dual core and a 5770 all with 4gigs of ram, I will be upgrading my PC soon I know that, just for this game. However, the high settings still look amazing, everything is crisp and visually appealing. Although I got a weird motion sickness thingEven though I haven't fought my first dragon yet, everything I have seen so far has just blown my mind. I am only playing on high settings dang dual core and a 5770 all with 4gigs of ram, I will be upgrading my PC soon I know that, just for this game. However, the high settings still look amazing, everything is crisp and visually appealing. Although I got a weird motion sickness thing going on with the opening scene. overall the graphics are great! (there are a few tears and artifacts every once and awhile but nothing that can't be fixed with a few tweaks I am sure) I am in love with the dual wielding of spells and weapons already! This is a game that you must get if you even moderately enjoyed any of the previous Elder Scrolls games. Expand
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is amazing..And better than oblivion and morrowind.
    The fun you can have in this game is very big.You can do what you want.Kill peoples,steal from someone,kill dragons,talk to someone,get into the house you want...Its pretty good.And the graphics are brilliant.So....Fun+Good graphics = Good for every player!
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    Graphics may seems as dated at the beginning (oh man, the caves are sooo fugly), but you will discover soon what amazing work had developers put into the scenery and interiors design. And it works quite smooth on my old mid-end hardware. Annoying loot and mobs leveling seems to be fixed now, since loot is more rare and mobs are more dangerous.
    Skyrim doesn't force you to follow main story
    Skyrim doesn't force you to follow main story line as Oblivion did, and you are free to travel around from the beginning.
    Controls are somewhat limited on PC (and hotkeys are TERRIBLE), but it seems as I can cope with it.
    The game is like a Morrowind on the steroids. It's a bit more free, more open-world, less generic-medieval than Oblivion. AI is less annoying, dialogs are well-written, voice acting is terrific and everything seems much more alive.

This game is indeed a big step forward both in the terms of the gameplay and design. Long live the king!
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    After waiting over a year for this game, and after playing both morrowind and oblivion, I am happy to say this is my favorite one so far. The only disappointing thing for me is that my computer cannot run skyrim on max, which is a big supprise considering I can run bf3 on ultra with no anti-aliasing. In short, If you have a pc, ps3, or xbox 360 and you don't buy this game, you areAfter waiting over a year for this game, and after playing both morrowind and oblivion, I am happy to say this is my favorite one so far. The only disappointing thing for me is that my computer cannot run skyrim on max, which is a big supprise considering I can run bf3 on ultra with no anti-aliasing. In short, If you have a pc, ps3, or xbox 360 and you don't buy this game, you are missing out on the best game of the year. Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Open, grand, beautiful, rich and several other words have ebeen used to describe this game, and it is all true. A long awaited sequel, that delivers on every promise, which in it self is an achevement. Games like these are one in a billion.
  17. Nov 11, 2011
    Best Bethesda game by far. Many are complaining that it's exactly the same as oblivion and same engine as fallout, and it is with quite a few tweaks. Some could argue the EXACT same thing about Modern Warfare 3. But unlike MW3, that isn't where the game's heart lies, it's in the incredible content the game has to offer. Massive map with uncountable quests and loot, and incredibly funBest Bethesda game by far. Many are complaining that it's exactly the same as oblivion and same engine as fallout, and it is with quite a few tweaks. Some could argue the EXACT same thing about Modern Warfare 3. But unlike MW3, that isn't where the game's heart lies, it's in the incredible content the game has to offer. Massive map with uncountable quests and loot, and incredibly fun activities. They may have used a slightly modified engine, but they went out of their way to deliver the best content possible. I think you can play Oblivion and have quite a similar experience, but Skyrim is the evident superior Expand
  18. Nov 11, 2011
    Only played this for around an hour, but very good so far! Well worth the buy and if someone rated it 0 or something, they just are either blind or not playing the same game!
    Buy this one!
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is a Grand Soul Gem of a game filled with a Grand Soul.
  20. Nov 11, 2011
    It's sad that so many people can't see past the graphics. Let's look at negative reviews, we see too many comments about how the graphics are "no better than Oblivions". If you don't mind mediocre graphics and a few awkward physics, you'll love this game. I admit, some of the controls are awkward (mainly spell switching, it becomes a pain) but the story is very well done and there's alwaysIt's sad that so many people can't see past the graphics. Let's look at negative reviews, we see too many comments about how the graphics are "no better than Oblivions". If you don't mind mediocre graphics and a few awkward physics, you'll love this game. I admit, some of the controls are awkward (mainly spell switching, it becomes a pain) but the story is very well done and there's always something to do. I also noticed that people like to complain about how this is the "same game in a new box" well you clearly don't understand how to play an RPG. If you didn't know, there's a GREAT storyline in that quest log so I don't see how you don't have anything to do in the game. The gameplay is much improved from oblivion, but a lot less clunky and easier to control. I'd give this game a 9.5 out of 10, -.5 for graphics/clunky animations at times, but these issues should have no effect whatsoever on how much you like this game. Expand
  21. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim will definitely be Game of the Year. Best TES Game I ever played. Also the Steelbook, map of Skyrim and the coloured Manual are awesome. Buy it!
  22. Nov 11, 2011
    I'm confused? Skyrim is advertised as a fantasy RPG. It has a vast world to explore, dungeons to loot, dragons to kill, bandits to beat down, trades to learn, inn's to sleep in, booze to drink, rivers to swim in, mountains to climb, weapons to fight with, spells to heal and destroy, towns to find, 300 hours of content, etc. So what did the low scoring people expect? Shoot, reload,I'm confused? Skyrim is advertised as a fantasy RPG. It has a vast world to explore, dungeons to loot, dragons to kill, bandits to beat down, trades to learn, inn's to sleep in, booze to drink, rivers to swim in, mountains to climb, weapons to fight with, spells to heal and destroy, towns to find, 300 hours of content, etc. So what did the low scoring people expect? Shoot, reload, shoot, reload, die, re-spawn??? As for the graphics ... (on ultra) are 'pinch myself' incredible when you consider what this game represents. I can see way, way off into the horizon with no fogging, people walking around, birds high in the sky, clouds realistically moving and trees swaying in the wind without the slightest lag or frame rate drop (60FPS). What other game does this??? Also, the load times leaving buildings/new areas are, at most, 3 seconds! How in the hell does Skyrim load this in so quickly? Something else I found impressive was I was walking through the bush during the night and a shadow of a bird of prey passed me. I looked up and there it was!!! Such attention to detail. I'm over and above amazed with what Blethesda have created. OK, It's not a huge leap from Oblivion or Fallout 3, but it's built upon those foundations and created the BEST of that genre. People are so hard to please these days (myself included) and when something comes along with genuine effort and thought, it becomes 'cool' to disrespect all the hard work. I salute the team behind Skyrim as they have given us (gamers) something to rejoice in. Best pre-crimbo present I could have hoped for. Thank you. Expand
  23. Nov 11, 2011
    First of all let me say the game isn't perfect. While the graphics are a massive step up from Oblivion, don't be expecting Crysis 2 standard. Still - the game looks beautiful and has lots of detail. The gameplay is what the ES series is all about, and it is fantastic. I don't need to go into detail here, but bethesda have learnt from their mistakes in TES3/4 and this iteration of theFirst of all let me say the game isn't perfect. While the graphics are a massive step up from Oblivion, don't be expecting Crysis 2 standard. Still - the game looks beautiful and has lots of detail. The gameplay is what the ES series is all about, and it is fantastic. I don't need to go into detail here, but bethesda have learnt from their mistakes in TES3/4 and this iteration of the series is brilliant. The one thing I am slightly annoyed about is the menus for the PC, but in all honesty, will just take a bit of getting used to. Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    Take Oblivion, and combine it with Fallout 3 and BioShock. Make a new engine, let the game look gorgeous, and let the player influence the world. Then put all that on steroids, and you have Skyrim.
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    Has an incredible immersion level that hours fly by when you play it. It is relatively bug free. Sure the graphics might not be the absolute greatest but rate down this game based on those overlooks all the other areas it absolutely excels at. You will be able to put hour after hour into this and still find new this to do. A truly worthy epic that lives up to and exceeds the hype.
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    If you get past the graphics, the game is very very good, I would give it a 9.5/10. It is an intense adventure with lots of possibilities, open world, epic storyline, it has everything what I consider important in every RPG !
  27. Nov 11, 2011
    Have only played the first 20 minutes or so but so far the game is looking great, some people have commented about the graphics however this game isnt like COD, the world is HUGE and the game would take up way to much space on the hard drive if the graphics were to improve anymore. Can't wait to get back on it.
  28. Nov 11, 2011
    i apologize but i will keep this short very short

BUY THE GAME... period it is not as beautiful as witcher 2 but hell is it HUGEEEEE and the world immersion is parallel to no no game out there now
  29. Nov 11, 2011
    The people giving a 0 are really idiots they don't like the changing of weapons?? Lets give the game a 0!!
    they don't like the moving animation. Lets give it a 0 This game has some flaws and glitchs/bugs but it's REALEASED today. Most if not all will be fixed really calm down and stop giving such stupid reviews like
    Horse's are stupid 0
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    first i think this game is boring and **** i was played that game some hour and now i am sure this is game of the year.this is really addictive :O
  31. Nov 11, 2011
    Some people seem to think that you have to use WASD or the arrow keys in the menus; you don't. The mouse can be used for everything. Other people talk about the graphics being like Fallout 3 or even Oblivion; they're not. Even on Medium, the graphics are a clear step forwards, put everything on max and you have a pretty stunning game that somehow runs smoother than past Bethesda games onSome people seem to think that you have to use WASD or the arrow keys in the menus; you don't. The mouse can be used for everything. Other people talk about the graphics being like Fallout 3 or even Oblivion; they're not. Even on Medium, the graphics are a clear step forwards, put everything on max and you have a pretty stunning game that somehow runs smoother than past Bethesda games on the same settings. The people's faces are still a little off, a bit clumsily rendered, but are still the best unmodded faces by far you'll have seen in a Bethesda game so far.

So much as been added to the gameplay. The perks really allow you to customise your character in very specific ways, rather than simply doing more damage against creatures who can now take more damage as the game progresses. The combat still pales in comparison even to The Witcher 2, never mind an actually combat-focused game like Dark Souls, yet it is a lot more satisfying than in previous games, with enemies dropping to their knees when near death or begging for mercy.

You can take jobs now, becoming a chef, a blacksmith or a lumberjack. Enchanting and alchemy returns too. The NPC behaviour is much improved over previous games. Rather than standing dumbly around and occasionally walking into a wall or tree, as they did in Morrowind, and rather than standing dumbly around and occasionally having in incredibly stilted conversations, like they did in Oblivion, they will now do their daily jobs, cooking, cleaning, making weapons at the forge, carrying lumber back from the nearby forest, and so on. The bard at the tavern plays various songs, actually playing the instrument used in the song, and will take requests from you, even commenting on your song choice ("Only a true Imperial would choose that one!") and receiving applause from any nearby NPCs at the end of his songs. How NPCs respond to you is varies on how you've completed certain quests; one man asked me to deliver an insulting letter to a woman that he'd written in her boyfriend's handwriting, hoping she'd then leave her boyfriend for him. I told him I'd do it, but then went to the woman in question and told her all about the plan. Now her and her boyfriend like me whereas the other guy is always rude to me. Get friendly enough with people and they'll let you stay the night in their house, eat their food and even "borrow" their weapons.

All in all, an enormous step forward over previous games, and that's coming from someone who always love what Bethesda's games promised but usually ended up hating what they actually delivered.
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    For the gameplay alone I'd say this is a leap forward. We haven't seen this mix-and-match system outside of Bioshock games and Clive Barker's Undying, and it really deserves more time in the sun. ...but its the detail of the world that sucks you in, I just spent 3 hours scouring mines for ore and making armors, sometimes picking flowers and catching butterflies for alchemy on the way... IFor the gameplay alone I'd say this is a leap forward. We haven't seen this mix-and-match system outside of Bioshock games and Clive Barker's Undying, and it really deserves more time in the sun. ...but its the detail of the world that sucks you in, I just spent 3 hours scouring mines for ore and making armors, sometimes picking flowers and catching butterflies for alchemy on the way... I can't remember having this much fun with the 'little things' in an RPG for a very long time. Its hard to express the feeling when a game lives up to all the expectations you've put on it. I am awed at this game. Sure, there are some flaws on the PC version with controls and the UI, but the patches are forthcoming in a day or two. I haven't even started any real questline and its already obvious that this will suck 100s of hours of my time. Well done Bethesda. 10/10, and I don't give that score lightly. Expand
  33. Nov 11, 2011
    In good ...

This game has a very serious problem ... It is impossible to stop playing! I'm at level 22 and level 100 in conjuration and the more it evolves into something, the more you see that still has much in progress! It is a work of art, where the vaunted Nordic is from the soundtrack to the buildings and clothing. Who loves the Norse mythology, will delight every new place
    In good ...

This game has a very serious problem ...
    It is impossible to stop playing!

Who loves the Norse mythology, will delight every new place visited.

For Odin ... I'm speechless ...
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    Maybe skyrim don´t have an incredible graphics on pc like others games(the witcher 2) but the incredible gameplay and other things make that you forget all this and just be pleased to play the game.
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is more like Morrowind and less like Oblivion. For all the good reasons. No other game can make you immerse yourself in itself like The Elder Scrolls V. The only fault I could even think of is the kinda clunky UI takes time to get used to if you don't use a controller. Aside from that, this game is as close to perfection as a video game can get.
  36. Nov 11, 2011
    I've already spent several hours with this game, and I have to admit that I am impressed. The audio score, the visuals, and the introductory quest immediately pulled me in. I have already spent over three hours with the game, and I look forward to spending many more hours with it!

Some would say the graphics are horrible, but I suspect that is because their hardware isn't what it should be. I'm running a Geforce GTS250 on a Win7 machine, and it runs and looks great. The smoothest Elder Scrolls game to date, as far as I'm concerned. The decision to go to a new rendering engine was a great one!

A word on loading times: They are incredibly fast in most cases (thus far). I remember in Morrowind or Oblivion loading times could take about 30 seconds in some cases - annoying! In Skyrim, I'd say the loading times have been ~10 seconds, if not less. Again, this will vary due to your hardware (RAM, etc), but for the most part, expect faster loading times.

Dynamic quests:

I haven't really gotten too far into this - at least I don't think so. I have completed quests filed under "miscellaneous" in my journal, but I don't know if those are just scripted side quests or the "dynamic" quests the Radion AI engine makes. If they are, I guess that's a good sign. That means I can't really tell the difference, and I like that!

Crafting:

So far, I've dabbled into alchemy, but not too much. I've did a bit more with smithing, and I like the fact that you can craft your own things. I don't know how, exactly, you are supposed to find a steady supply of wolves (pelts/leather) or metals. I'm assuming you mine them, but so far the only thing I have gotten has been from the generosity of the early-game NPC's you encounter, and the monsters you kill if you get into one of the early game quests at the first town you are set loose on.

Weaponry:

One of the great things here is I love the fact that archery is now a lot more viable, though you still have to be a little creative with being able to use it. Unfortunately, even though it is improved, I still don't see it as being a "main" weapon unless or until you can level it up a lot and start doing a massive amount of damage on the first couple hits. There are other tactics you can use, though, I suppose. Stealth, or some way of slowing or even paralyzing the target, but I think in the early game you'll still have to rely on some kind of melee/touch based magic to finish them off.

AI:

The AI is pretty good. There are a few 'quirks' I still see, such as when I was following a NPC from where you start to where you are 'set loose' in a town. If I lagged behind a little too far, the NPC would stop and turn around, and then I would have to stop and wait for him to begin walking again. Imagine this start/stop procedure throughout the entire trip to the first town...it was a little irritating, but nothing you couldn't easily overlook. There was a couple other places where the NPC's got in the way when I was trying to walk up porch steps, or across a balcony, and it took a moment for them to move. Again, a little irritating, but not anything I couldn't handle.

My one complaint so far:

Switching from one "quick" slot to another while in the middle of combat was very, very frustrating. Maybe that is because the folks at Bethesda set an expectation that combat was supposed to be a little faster, but when I was trying to shoot a couple of arrows with my bow, and then switch to my melee weapon when the enemy got closer, it took a few seconds to do so, giving the enemy a couple of free shots. This is especially bad when you are trying to switch to a health potion, or healing spell. I ended up turning tail and running a couple of times while I waited for my gear to switch. While I realize that this is realistic (e.g. in real life it WOULD take time), this is one area I wouldn't have minded if they had suspended reality in favor of allowing me a smooth transition from weapon to weapon. I think that would have made combat that much more enjoyable.

Conclusion:

While the game still has its quirks, I believe this to be a vast improvement over its predecessors in the Elder Scrolls series. If you have the machine for it, it will run smooth, and look good. The AI still has a few quirks. The combat has some mechanics that are still not quite as smooth as I would like, but over overall, this is an amazing game thus far. I love the new atmosphere of Skyrim.
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    Cant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw droppingCant believe some idiots here are rating this a 0...that's just so pathetic and shows their mentality...sure this game has a few pc issues (dont most console ports today!) but this game is just amazing...most textures i see are really well done and teh whole atmosphere of this game is awesome..with beautiful scenery, buildings, caves and cavers etc etc etc..its all jaw dropping stuff!....yes some super HD textures would of been nice and maybe dx10-11 support but i doubt that would have added much to this already top RPG...i give it 9 out of 10 but am clicking on the 10 to try and offset the dickheads who gave it 0...the muppets are like spoilt children crying over minor issues like spoilt brats they are! Expand
  38. Apr 22, 2013
    The PC version of Skyrim, combined with the current mods available through Skyrim Nexus or Steam Workshop, is an absolutely stunning game and much better than the original. With mods I can finally get the hardcore RPG experience: adding the need for eat/drink/sleep, exposure to the elements can kill you, no fast travel, horses that actually are useful, companions with their own questlinesThe PC version of Skyrim, combined with the current mods available through Skyrim Nexus or Steam Workshop, is an absolutely stunning game and much better than the original. With mods I can finally get the hardcore RPG experience: adding the need for eat/drink/sleep, exposure to the elements can kill you, no fast travel, horses that actually are useful, companions with their own questlines and personalities, more road signs for navigation, slow the time scale, camping equipment, more armors and weapons... its unbelievable how much the game improves with these additions. If you own a PC and are an RPG fan, you must get this game immediately. If you don't have a PC, go buy one just for this game. Expand
  39. Nov 11, 2011
    Epic, fantastic, incredible, amazing, insane, huge, beautiful, wicked, gigantic, stunning, superb, mindblowing, lifechanging fantasy game. The best thing since oblivion
  40. Nov 11, 2011
    Okay, i bought it for PC because of mouse control and improved graphics. First i thought, "wow", my HD5870 is good enough but then i realized that the game looks like Oblivion without any graphic-mods and low settings. Don't get me wrong, I will play this game because its like Oblivion, but it is not the game i was waiting for. Seems like the developers are afraid of improving graphics ofOkay, i bought it for PC because of mouse control and improved graphics. First i thought, "wow", my HD5870 is good enough but then i realized that the game looks like Oblivion without any graphic-mods and low settings. Don't get me wrong, I will play this game because its like Oblivion, but it is not the game i was waiting for. Seems like the developers are afraid of improving graphics of the pc version because consoleros would get angry. The menus are terrible too. They didn't even try to improve them for pc mouse. I have a wireless 360 controller for Windows, but i won't use it. I got it for sports and racing games. Let the patching begin.... Expand
  41. Nov 11, 2011
    What a great game I have nothing to complain about: Great story; great gameplay .
    This game is absolutely stunning.... Every negative point I could think of (maybe one or two graphical disappointments) get totally out weight by so many positive aspects!
  42. Nov 11, 2011
    This is one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. Right from the start they give you the option of playing as any type of character you want without it feeling like they are holding your hand. Although it didn't have quite the same feeling as Oblivion when you first walk into the light, it doesn't take long before you are stopping to just look around. Although not all of theThis is one of the best sandbox games I have ever played. Right from the start they give you the option of playing as any type of character you want without it feeling like they are holding your hand. Although it didn't have quite the same feeling as Oblivion when you first walk into the light, it doesn't take long before you are stopping to just look around. Although not all of the textures are ground breaking they are combined to look like a living breathing world. The facial animations have improved greatly, and the voice overs have as well. When it comes to character creation I wasn't a big fan of the look of the elves but the other races look amazing (this is a personal preferance and not an issue with detail).

The fighting has improved alot since oblivion but still can't compare to witcher 2 or some others that are out there. I think this is due to the fact though that there are so many differant ways that you can fight they couldn't focus on just one. The menu system has gotten a huge overhaul and I like the way it is set up. The quick select option is great and doesn't require you to scroll through all the menus every time to choose a differant spell or menu.

Of course there is an issue with some bugs, but this to be a common issue with Bethesda sandboxes. While playing for about 10 hours there was 1 time the game just closed on me. This didn't hurt me too bad as it saves quite often. There are other minor glitches but none that really detract from the game. Although this isn't a perfect game it is alot closer than I thought was possible. This takes takes the RPG to a level that we have never seen before, and I know this will be taking hundreds of hours away from my free time.
  43. Nov 11, 2011
    Two very simple reasons you must get this game:
    1.Developed by Bethesda Game Studios. 2.Epic release date(11/11/11).
  44. Nov 11, 2011
    Stewker
    Nov 11, 2011
    10 Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands out. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for game for months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to have had the chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra
    Stewker
    Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands out. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for game for months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to have had the chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra running at 1920x1080 are flooring. This is truly a HUGE jump over Oblivion in regard to visual fidelity. Now granted I do have a NASA supercomputer for PC, well just about, but still... If you think the game looks no better than Oblivion, seriously, no joke I'm concerned for you, as you are blind but don't know it yet. Don't drive. Anyways, melee combat is also vastly improved and solid feeling, magic has a definite weight to it in Skyrim. Finally the amount of content... Like I said weeks of game play and huge re-playability. Quests, yes lot's of quests but all of the things on the side that you have in this game as well is truly mind blowing. I took a week off for this game and I know, after playing it for 12 hours now, that I won't be able to do everything I want to even if I played 18 hours a day, no way. The level up process is awesome as well. Love the perk system, when people think perks most think of Fallout 3, but the perk system in Skyrim is very much unique to itself. I was afraid they were dumbing down the level system but all they did is streamline it and give the user freedom to play exactly how they want to play, while keeping the core mechanic of leveling by what you do and adding in perks. I love that. If I had to choose one game to have the rest of my life and only one, it would be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
  45. Nov 11, 2011
    Gotta love the complete opposite theories on this game. It's either a 10 or a 0. So far through I'm on the 10 side as I am a fan of these completely open world games. There are many things that have stayed the same through oblivion yes but so much of it has been refined into a better game all around. Duel wielding and magic are currently my favorites of such improvements to the combatGotta love the complete opposite theories on this game. It's either a 10 or a 0. So far through I'm on the 10 side as I am a fan of these completely open world games. There are many things that have stayed the same through oblivion yes but so much of it has been refined into a better game all around. Duel wielding and magic are currently my favorites of such improvements to the combat system. Quests are abundant and feel fairly natural when accepting them. You'll always have something to do in Skyrim whether you are picking ingredients for potions or on your way to kill a dragon. All I can say is it's a very immersive, enjoyable game for me.

The bad: I bought this on PC, the menu system was definitely made for a console. Good thing I have a usb controller I guess. Glitches are there and can mess up your feeling of being in this world but for me are tolerable. Graphics are beautiful and I'm not sure why everyone is saying it looks no better then oblivion. I've been playing battlefield 3 before this came out and I will say that I was much more impressed with the visual effects, such as smoke and fire lens glare etc, in that game but all around a good looking game for it's size.
  46. Nov 11, 2011
    Soundtrack is brilliant. Visuals are outstanding. Engine Performance is beastly. Gameplay is quite fun. This is pretty much the best of the best of the entire Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda and their developers have learned so much from their previous BRILLIANT games. Unlike Battlefield 3's direction, it keeps the AMAZINGLY LARGE COMPLETELY OPEN terrain and an entire world to explore. It'sSoundtrack is brilliant. Visuals are outstanding. Engine Performance is beastly. Gameplay is quite fun. This is pretty much the best of the best of the entire Elder Scrolls series. Bethesda and their developers have learned so much from their previous BRILLIANT games. Unlike Battlefield 3's direction, it keeps the AMAZINGLY LARGE COMPLETELY OPEN terrain and an entire world to explore. It's land is like World of Warcraft with less world loading. It. Is. Amazing. Again, it keeps with the gameplay elements of previous games, HUNDREDS of quests, and how you can choose to do almost whatever you want. Want to kill everyone in the town you live in? Check. Buy a house and live in it? Check. Go and loot every dungeon in the game? Check. Amazing. Go get it. Expand
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who claim the graphics are bad: find the settings to turn them up! It's not a challenge, mine are good. For those of you who complain that it's full of bugs: that's a problem with your setup, mine is fine, but if in doubt wait for updates, perfect games don't get released. For those of you moaning about the controls: change them. That's not difficult either, mine are good. ForTo those who claim the graphics are bad: find the settings to turn them up! It's not a challenge, mine are good. For those of you who complain that it's full of bugs: that's a problem with your setup, mine is fine, but if in doubt wait for updates, perfect games don't get released. For those of you moaning about the controls: change them. That's not difficult either, mine are good. For those of you who claim there isn't enough to do? You're either joking, or haven't worked out that pressing 'new game' brings out a whole new world to play in. Great graphics, great gameplay, tons to do. Simple. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the most rich and entertaining RPG games of all time. Period. Third person combat is greatly improved as well as first person. There are minor tweaks that could be made to each, but the content more than makes up for it. As a mobile app developer, I only wish I could be part of something this incredible.
  49. Nov 11, 2011
    Fantastic. The game is created by the makers of Fallout, so it's an open world where we can do what they want. Contrary to Fallout, where the scenery is a barren terrain, we have luxuriant forests, rivers and snow-capped mountains. The graphics are wonderful even though sometimes the texture limp. Great combat system that will keep us glued to the screen, between creatures really well made â
  50. Nov 11, 2011
    Brace yourselves GF's, Skyrim is released! A Sandbox RPG with an interactive world full of beautiful scenery and amazing graphics, gotta be definitely a game of the year for me. What i love about Skyrim, is the "Karmatic" System like in Fallout 3. Steal corps, and the local inn will not sell you beer, and so will people in the inn reject to come and help you with battle, etc.
  51. Nov 11, 2011
    I like this type of games, I am a huge Morrowind and Oblivion fan, but after the first hours of game-play I must say that the user interface is just horrible as is the fighting and lock-picking.

I think this game has such high scores only because of its predecessors.
  52. Nov 11, 2011
    One of the best RPGs (and arguably games) I have ever played - yes there are minor (very minor problems), but it gets so much right - engrossing story/conversations, stunning visuals and environment design, epic soundtrack, fun combat system - so fun in fact, many of my friends can't decide on the combination of weapons/magic to go for.

The controls are great and the 360 controller

The controls are great and the 360 controller integration makes it easy to sit back and relax.

A must buy!
  53. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing. I have never played a game as good as skyrim since Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, this game deserves game of the year. The brilliant gameplay and beautiful world is astonhising. This game is so smooth with the controls if your used to the keyboard and mouse, so many things to do im only 5 hours into the game and i love everything about it and its so muchThis game is absolutely amazing. I have never played a game as good as skyrim since Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, this game deserves game of the year. The brilliant gameplay and beautiful world is astonhising. This game is so smooth with the controls if your used to the keyboard and mouse, so many things to do im only 5 hours into the game and i love everything about it and its so much fun watching the NPCs talk to each other like they are real people. One of the best things about this game is dragons, seems as though they never run out and a blast to kill to collect their souls to level up your shouts. Wont be seeing the sunlight for a few months or a couple of years =D Expand
  54. Nov 14, 2011
    The negative critics are rating the game off of **** You rate the game off of what it is and how the producers than brought that to life. It's like you're asking for a good steak from TGIF. 10/10 easy.
  55. Nov 11, 2011
    Western RPGs don't get much better than this. The amount of effort that has gone into this game is apparent. If this doesn't make game of the year I will be very surprised.
  56. Nov 11, 2011
    Holy crap!! Last night when I installed Skyrim on my beefy machine, my 4 other friends were sitting with me... It took awhile to get it started and after creating a character, (which by-the-way blew everyone's minds) we set out to explore. Within the 4 hours of playing, "Holy crap" was dropped more than a thousand times! Of course the more offensive word was used, but I figured you wouldHoly crap!! Last night when I installed Skyrim on my beefy machine, my 4 other friends were sitting with me... It took awhile to get it started and after creating a character, (which by-the-way blew everyone's minds) we set out to explore. Within the 4 hours of playing, "Holy crap" was dropped more than a thousand times! Of course the more offensive word was used, but I figured you would figure out that yourself.

It left us all in awe... Yes, thats right. AWE... I have more than 500 games on my computer. I am not kidding. 430 on Steam alone. No other game I have has had this impact. Sure, there are some games that simply look amazing, but Skyrim takes awesome, and turns up the awe to the point of mesmerizing.

Everyone's socks were blown right off into oblivion.

On a 27" monitor with 2 GTX590's this game is worth the investment I made. Until last night, my friends thought I was nuts to upgrade so heavily. They understand now. Oh yea, they understand perfectly well why I upgraded, and now all of them want the same system to play Skyrim. If you upgraded your computer you are going to witness an amazing game. To those that have old computers, well, its going to suck being you. The low ratings here are based upon people who have old computers.

Skyrim is simply a mind-blowing visual extravaganza. Holy crap...
  57. Nov 11, 2011
    I dont give this game a 10 so easily.

I dont give this game a 10 so easily.

I was quite skeptical about this game, but I feel it deserves a ten simply because of the many improvements and overall change it's went through since oblivion. The entire theme is changed, a more interesting main quest that is much less repetitive. (Might remind you of morrowind's epic quest) Dragons are a ton of fun and don't get old so quickly, especially when you see them intermix with combat against other enemies. The spell system has been changed, as you can no longer make your own spells. A bit disappointing, but dragon shouts make up for this. The 'perk' system is so extensive that it literally makes me fall flat on my face and go "Oh my god what should I level up?" Leveling up is a LOT more detailed now than it has in the past. It isnt just attribute raising anymore, you're literally crafting your own character. This could be the biggest improvement within the game, and the most interesting one at that.

The Ai is improved from oblivion's AI. Many enemies are more dynamic, including the giants who, though being incredibly dangerous, only attack when provoked or approached too close. Wolf type enemies will hunt in packs, so expect there to be some team behavior going on among enemies. But the AI is not perfect, it is improved, but it could be better. While it shines in some places, in other places it's completely laughable. The graphics are definitely improved, though comparable to fallout 3's graphics. On the PC there is a huge level of detail difference, so upping that definitely provides for some interesting eye candy. And the shadows are greatly improved. But it is a console port, so we can't expect crysis 3. But to honest, they did a great job with the current tech, the game looks beautiful, though lack luster in other places... (Shoddy textures are common) But the environment looks great, the atmopshere is incredible, and it's a definite change of pace in the graphics department.

A big thing is dual wielding, and when I say dual wielding, I mean quite anything, spell one hand, weapon the other. It's very customizable, and a big big improvement for some.

The combat system itself is a bit different than oblivion's, it does require more strategy as some enemies, become quite over powering. Yes I just said that, enemies can be overpowering. The game will base enemies upon your level, but there are some enemies that will beat you to pieces in one swift hit. (The giants. *cough cough*) there are also boss battles. Yes I just said that, combat got a lot more interesting. And this isnt just including dragons.There are also finishing moves, which I find entertaining.

The dungeons, I need to say this, are vastly improved.

Almost every dungeon, and when I say almost, it's pretty damn near to 90 percent of them, are entirely unique in their own way. No more copy paste dungeons, the cookie cutter corner dungeons of oblivion are gone.

I cant say the graphics are spectacular, but consoles hold us back. But the improvements are incredible, including in the graphics. So this game, in every right, deserves the score I gave it.

Good job bethesda, you have done us well.
  58. Nov 11, 2011
    These people who gave Skyrim 0 / 10 are mentally retarded. If you rate the RPG game (300 hours long) after 30 mins of gaming your brains are pretty **** up. Skyrim is optimized pretty well and is much improved in comparison to Morrowind or Oblivion.
  59. Apr 5, 2013
    Even though the game has its drawbacks the story is quite poor, the quests often tedious and the voice acting sub par this game is still miles ahead of anything out there in terms of an open-world sandbox action RPG. Just the game world size and detail both exteriors and interiors earn this game a 10/10 in my book.
  60. Nov 11, 2011
    Brilliant, brilliant game. A few minor problems for the PC version though, in particular Weapon switching needs to be redone - its just pathetic compared to most games. But if you even just slightly liked Oblivion you will love Skyrim.
  61. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is one of the best games ever made. And deserves nothing lower than a 10 out of 10. Everything about it is just great. That's about it. Dawgs.
  62. Nov 13, 2011
    God damn! Here's some answers for the kids: 1) Bad Graphics. Upgrade your PC (That's all really.) 2) Game is too easy. Put it on Master difficulty (Settings -> Gameplay) 3) It's Oblivion! Rather than be a dumbass and rate the game without playing(EVERY ONE IS DOING THIS HERE) Why don't you just look for the faction quests? 4) It has bugs/glitches. Well, this game is not for you. SuchGod damn! Here's some answers for the kids: 1) Bad Graphics. Upgrade your PC (That's all really.) 2) Game is too easy. Put it on Master difficulty (Settings -> Gameplay) 3) It's Oblivion! Rather than be a dumbass and rate the game without playing(EVERY ONE IS DOING THIS HERE) Why don't you just look for the faction quests? 4) It has bugs/glitches. Well, this game is not for you. Such lammer doesn't deserve to play this masterpiece. Compare this game with the previous game you played and try to think about how complex it is. If Bethesda wanted, I am pretty sure they would make the best action game ever, because it's just too easy for them. Expand
  63. Nov 11, 2011
    Controls are very easily adapted to, with favourite weapons able to be mapped to number keys (I discovered this purely by accident - hit 1 by accident after hitting 'q'), made for hot-swapping in fights. Textures I find are comparable to games like Witcher 2 and Divinity 2, and the view of the sunset/sunrise and Aurora Borealis is just amazing. I was climbing up the legendary 7,000 stepsControls are very easily adapted to, with favourite weapons able to be mapped to number keys (I discovered this purely by accident - hit 1 by accident after hitting 'q'), made for hot-swapping in fights. Textures I find are comparable to games like Witcher 2 and Divinity 2, and the view of the sunset/sunrise and Aurora Borealis is just amazing. I was climbing up the legendary 7,000 steps and stopped for five minutes just to watch the Aurora, with the moon in the background.

This is probably the best RPG I've ever played.
  64. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing game. It is a console port right outta the box, but a great port at that. I played for 5 hous last night without even knowing it, and every second of the game was absolutely glorious.
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers...I started to play videogames 27 years ago. The RPG was my favourite type of games... In 1997 my life was chenged when i played The legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time. 11 / 11 / 11 today is another most important day in my life. I playing in the BEST video game on history. SKYRIM, is awesome. 100% recomended. If you have Windows updated, and "normal" graphics card with updated drivers... don't read bad opinions, this game is on of the best game in the history.... [10/10] Expand
  66. Mar 26, 2012
    Absolutely the best RPG in terms of technical achievement to date. Don't mind the haters - notice how on all the best YouTube videos, there are always a couple hundred dislikes? Those are the same morons who give Skyrim a bad review.
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    This game truly is amazing it deserves game of the year. There are flaws just as in any game but its no reason to give it a score of 0, because your a troll. I can't wait to see what modders are able to do with the new engine, then it will be the best game ever.
  68. Nov 11, 2011
    Do not believe warez users!! UI is perfect. You can easily use any menu or item with keys or MOUSE!
    Graphic is beautiful. It may need some in tweak to max out, but the landscape and dungeons are very-very immersive. Animations sometimes a little awkward, but I do not care about it.
  69. Nov 11, 2011
    Awesome. I have noticed few bugs or crashes for this stable game. For those that forgot all pc games have minor bugs I'm sorry you forgot. I haven't even seen a minor bug yet anyway... oh yeah an NPC bumped into a wall for a second. OMG THE GAME IS BROKEN!!! nah It's super stable. And a dream to play. The controls are simple and you can be any character you want by equiping whateverAwesome. I have noticed few bugs or crashes for this stable game. For those that forgot all pc games have minor bugs I'm sorry you forgot. I haven't even seen a minor bug yet anyway... oh yeah an NPC bumped into a wall for a second. OMG THE GAME IS BROKEN!!! nah It's super stable. And a dream to play. The controls are simple and you can be any character you want by equiping whatever you want. Oh and for the people that think this is impossible and clunky it's called the "favorite" function of the game where you can fast equip spells, bows, swords, etc. This game is a dream and everything I have been dreaming a game would be for the past 10 years. Finally a game worth a perfect score. Expand
  70. Nov 11, 2011
    It is the greatest Elder Scrolls yet. My only complaint is the controls and I got used to them after an hour. Other then that, the story is compelling and the world really draws you in.
  71. Nov 11, 2011
    Like every TES game, Skyrim comes back again, takes a good look at it's predesessor, and vastly improves upon it. Everything is pretty, combat mechanics are MUCH better than Oblivion, and the 70+ voice actors compared to Oblivion's 12 is astounding. I couldn't have asked for more from Bethesda.
  72. Nov 12, 2011
    Now this a great, great game. Do not listen to the negative words until you have played for at least 10 hours and not just visit the first hold. there are nine holds and most naysayers have been in only one
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    (first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the(first few paragraphs are the summary) Well having given it a 10 it is obvious I thought the game was great. There is more game play content compared to previous games and the game world is believable (so far as fantasy can be). The game play has been streamlined to distill much the tedious things out, which may put off some hardcore fans but if the give it a go and compare with the previous games they'll realize it is for the better.

Overall its a dam good game. If you don't like morrowind or oblivion then you won't like this game since free form RPGs probably aren't your thing so you should probably play something quite linear like the witcher 1 or 2. If you do like the previous games you may first feel a little upset with a few of the minor changes but once you realize why there in there you'll notice it does in fact provide a better game play experience. The vast majority of people having graphical problems are either on PS3 or very low end systems. There are a few crashes but for me at least they are rare (every 3 hours or so) and it is very quick to get back into the game. But with the quality Bethesda provides with all their games there is no doubt that patches will be released to tweak these problems and they don't impact on the games fun factor at all.

The graphics are very nice and up there with any other fantasy setting game around and a nice upgrade over previous titles (I only compare with fantasy games as realism in graphics isn't the style they generally go for, meaning it is ridiculous and idiotic to compare graphics between this and battlefield 3 as the graphical styles are completely different, however it can be compared with The Witcher 2 and is probably equal though a little better than it in graphic wise).

All of the complaints about the graphics I've seen are more because they dislike the graphical style (fantasy with a very slightly cartoon appearance) but the graphics are actually really nice. Of course the PS3 version of the game has graphical glitches, but that is more difficulty issues with the PS3 architecture than anything else. I haven't had any major graphical problems over 3 different PC setups and it all runs very smoothly. The only poorer aspect of the graphics from me is perhaps the particle effects for some of the fire effects but its a moot point and as a graphics programmer I can be a little picky there. The only major glitches I've seen are to do with animation transitions but again its kind of moot and doesn't break the immersion of the game.

The AI path-finding also seems to have undergone an overhaul for the better. The AI is very good at navigating the game world and even in the few instances when it gets stuck it sorts itself out very quickly. There is still the problem of being able to trick it by placing yourself in a position it can't get too (such as on a cliff) and shooting it from afar, but that is really kind of cheating anyway and is an AI problem that will always be around for these games (other games get around it by simply preventing the player from moving to those locations, they can't do that in elder scrolls as it goes against their design philosophy of being able to go anywhere).

Storyline wise the game is much better than oblivion (on par with morrowind which I enjoyed) and the voice acting throughout the game is head and shoulders above oblivion. Again with any elder scrolls game its the world and side quests that make up the meat of the game and here they don't disappoint.

The combat system that takes about 20-40 mins to an to get used to but once you do you quickly realize how much better it is. There is actually some depth to it now rather then just hack and slash like oblivion (though it did try to be different). It is much easier to get the hang of than the Witcher though. The auto leveling system is also better since like the famous MMM mods you can still run into creatures of a higher level. it good still do with some more tweaking so that less weaker creatures appear (most bandits seem to be quite low level) but it is dam fun killing them so doesn't ruin the game at all.

The gameplay has also been improved with the addition of small gameplay elements such as a crafting system, overhaul of skills (for the better), roleplaying aspects (not something I really enjoy but nice addition all the same) like chopping firewood to earn a little extra gold and many more things. I particularly like the new spell, enchantment and alchemy systems which have more depth but are simpler to play with.
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing! A beautiful world to explore filled with people that are as real as your neighbors. Battles are fluid and satisfying with some nice kill shots thrown in. People saying the graphics are poor need to upgrade their machine. My son has a $500 laptop and the game looks beautiful on it.
  75. Nov 11, 2011
    great game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but igreat game and i thought it wouldn't work so good on my laptop because Whitcer 2 didnt work so great, but Skyrim works great even on ultra, and takes little space too compared to many games and im very happy i didnt have to buy new computer just to play it. and the graphics are very good, maybe better in some games but so what?? it works great and i havent gotten into any bugs yet, but i have to say i would have liked it to be better set up for mouse and keyboard but i have xbox 360 gamepad for pc, but still i wanna play it with mouse and keyboard. it just seems to me that the players who are giving it low have crappy computers or are just trying to be cool by saying its a bad game, its probably the best game i have ever played. Expand
  76. Nov 11, 2011
    Simple..... with out a doubt the best game of the year. Some of the reviews from the idiot trollers on here are well just utter total rubbish.

The bottom line is no other studio produces games, or for a better word, Worlds like the elder scrolls games, everything from the sublime production values, the endless time spent by the developers on every little facet and detail, the feeling of complete exploration, the haunting musical score evoking a feeling of drama and isolation, I could go on but I have a world to explore.
    Bethesda thank you for producing games like these, GOTY without a doubt
  77. Nov 11, 2011
    I don't know where the complaints are coming from. I'm playing on PC and it has been flawless for 6 hours. Weapon switching is fine. If you have a problem with it, you probably aren't using the favourites menu. There is so much to do in this game. Graphics are great, and perform great on my slowly aging once-awesome computer. NO MORE TOMATO-HEADS. I really don't see any signs of it being aI don't know where the complaints are coming from. I'm playing on PC and it has been flawless for 6 hours. Weapon switching is fine. If you have a problem with it, you probably aren't using the favourites menu. There is so much to do in this game. Graphics are great, and perform great on my slowly aging once-awesome computer. NO MORE TOMATO-HEADS. I really don't see any signs of it being a bad port. Controls are just fine. Some people just LIKE to complain I guess. Oh well, no one really gives a s___ about Metacritic community reviews. Everyone outside of this community know that you all complain about stupid things. Expand
  78. Nov 11, 2011
    I am a long-time fan of the Elder Scrolls games, so I was naturally a little cautious about Skyrim since it was being developed primarily for a console. But, despite the obvious console bias in terms of UI and controls, I think this is an excellent game. The atmosphere and art direction coupled with the ambient sounds and music are used to great effect, really immersing you in this coldI am a long-time fan of the Elder Scrolls games, so I was naturally a little cautious about Skyrim since it was being developed primarily for a console. But, despite the obvious console bias in terms of UI and controls, I think this is an excellent game. The atmosphere and art direction coupled with the ambient sounds and music are used to great effect, really immersing you in this cold northern landscape full of beautiful vistas and .hidden dangers. Many game-play elements have been simplified and improved on, although I was kind of disapointed that spell crafting never made it into the game. Nevertheless, spell-casting feels more spontaneous and intuitive than before. The only bugs I've experienced were a little bit of unexplained lag and some trouble with dual-casting spells, but now everything is fine. Compared to Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout 3, Skyrim really doesn't have many bugs at launch.
    Any of the so-called problems with the pc version can and mostly likely will be dealt with in the growing number of mods being released in the following weeks. What is already a great game at the core will just get better and better over time for pc users.

Oh, and fighting a non-scripted dragon out in the plains on a dark night with the beautiful northern lights overhead is one of my best gaming moments of 2011. Thank you, Bethesda.
  79. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is abseloutly amazing! I It's like constantly thrilling, and it never stops! This game has actual content inside, which means the game has a soul. I personally think this game contains an endles experience, you wont regret buying it! 10/10 Expand
  80. Nov 11, 2011
    Those who are completely slating this game, look at yourselves. You're all saying you've played "10" hours, or even less and basing your opinion on that. There's 300 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Someone compared it to The Witcher 2 about graphics; most people can barely run The Witcher at even reasonable settings...another complained about the same 10 year old background song? Sorry, butThose who are completely slating this game, look at yourselves. You're all saying you've played "10" hours, or even less and basing your opinion on that. There's 300 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Someone compared it to The Witcher 2 about graphics; most people can barely run The Witcher at even reasonable settings...another complained about the same 10 year old background song? Sorry, but **** off! Thats easily one of the best songs that has ever been used for any game created in the past 10 years. This is a warning to all thsoe who read the bad scores; ignore them. If I had £1 for every 12 year old ranting about how their dads PC can't play this game, I'd be richer than ****ing Bill Gates! I loved Oblivion and I know I am going to love Skyrim. So stop winging, trade your game in with "daddy" stood next to you, because you obviously have no I.D. and buy a Wii and Sonic: Adventures 3D from CEX and stop downing the Metascore. Or me and Chuck Norris will personally stick your **** PC so far up your ass you'll be able to taste the Blue Screens that your wank hardware causes! Expand
  81. efx
    Nov 11, 2011
    Damn i had so much fun playing this game was completely immersed for 8 hours straight today. So much possibilities, endless world pure fun. Sure PC version could be better its quite lazy console port but still GOTY.
  82. Nov 11, 2011
    Great graphics, Amazing lore, architecture and world, massively improved AI and gameplay, this Elder Scrolls just about surpasses any Elder Scrolls- in fact most RPGs I have ever set my hands on. Even still- it's better on the PC with better graphics and mods/modding tools.
    Great game if you enjoy exploration, fighting, interacting or living in a world, or hell, even story. It's truly among the best RPGs to date, and the best Bethesda game to date. A true masterpiece. The only real downside are the frequent bugs, but honestly there are so many plus sides to this game that I couldn't give it anything but a 10.
  83. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is the best of 2k11, before i played it, i thought its gonna be hard for skyrim to top morrowind and oblivion, but i have to say that (even if the graphics are only slightly better than in oblivion and there are still some bugs etc....) its the best TES i've ever played!
  84. Nov 11, 2011
    Game is brilliant. I've played Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion and didn't really ever like those games - however, Skyrim is just perfect. Beautiful world, exciting history and great gameplay.
  85. Nov 11, 2011
    While the interface suffers some console dumbing down, this game easily jockeys itself to "Game of the Year" status. I hear some people complaining the graphics aren't as stellar as Witcher 2, but to me the scope of the game far outweighs said criticism. I look forward to all the mods that will be available on the PC version in the future. Kudos Bethesda on a worth successor in theWhile the interface suffers some console dumbing down, this game easily jockeys itself to "Game of the Year" status. I hear some people complaining the graphics aren't as stellar as Witcher 2, but to me the scope of the game far outweighs said criticism. I look forward to all the mods that will be available on the PC version in the future. Kudos Bethesda on a worth successor in the Elder Scrolls franchise. Expand
  86. Nov 11, 2011
    Imagine a game where everything you want to do, you actually can do. The feel of a game where every decision you make will influence and affect the world around you. Well Skyrim does exactly that. This game is absolutely brilliant to play, stunning graphics, breathtaking storyline and a second to none soundtrack. However, As Bethesda is quite commonly known, Skyrim does feature someImagine a game where everything you want to do, you actually can do. The feel of a game where every decision you make will influence and affect the world around you. Well Skyrim does exactly that. This game is absolutely brilliant to play, stunning graphics, breathtaking storyline and a second to none soundtrack. However, As Bethesda is quite commonly known, Skyrim does feature some release bugs such as random client crashes, texture glitches etc. but these are nothing to worry about as they will be fixed in the patch very soon. 10/10! Expand
  87. Nov 11, 2011
    Since no one is giving honest reviews, only 10 and 0, I'm gonna give it a 10 too to make up for it.
    Oh yeah, also this game is amazing. Best game I've ever played.
  88. Nov 11, 2011
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

"OMG Roxor!! FTW!!! I want to have this games babies" without actually articulating why its the best and most important thing to have every happened to your life. Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most
    Metacritic never ceases to make me smile. The pointless gushing praise:

Or the extreme criticism from morons that have nothing better to do than try to down vote a game they see as somehow threatening what they love the most just by being another game choice that exists in the world:

"I hate this game so much it has single handedly destroyed my life!!! Dark Souls Wins and the Witcher 2 is more PC!!!"

To be honest, nobody really cares if you like some other game else more than this. What do you think about the game you are actually coming here to vote on?

It doesn't matter what you choose there will always be better and worse things to compare it to but that is really missing the point when you are talking about games. The question is are you enjoying THIS game?

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Do you like more things about it than you dislike?

I've been gaming on PC AND Consoles since the games industry started. Iv'e seen games evolve from Pong to where we are today. Despite its ups and downs things just keep getting better and I am really excited to see where it takes us over the next 20 years...

As to my OPINION of Skyrim?

Sure it has it faults - some worse than others and I wish it did some of the things some other games that I like do better.

But every game is like that in one way or another and is one of the reasons people play OTHER games rather than only ONE!

I don't think until we advance to the point of the Matrix that a game will come close to satisfying everybody - but from my point of view, Skyrim is the best realised out of the box free roaming do what you want fantasy game to date. The mods that will come out over the next few years will make it even better and be further inspiration for Bethesda to make an even better game next time...

Its the sort of game that makes be glad to have gaming as a hobby. When I play it makes my imagination run wild and reminds me of how far things have come since it all began. Its a great time to be a gamer!
  89. Nov 11, 2011
    Masterpiece.
    Some bugs, but it's to be expected of such a massive game. Lighten up critics.
    There is no better rpg than this, and I've played just about all of them.
  90. Nov 11, 2011
    it has the feel of oblivion but few of the flaws. amazing game.
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    I had very high expectations for this game and I am in no way disappointed. Frankly, I am surprised by the bad reviews but not because I believe that everyone likes the same thing. The bad reviews taken in toto reveal a "even though you gave me a world, I still want more" mentality. I am further mystified by the comments that this game is somehow not worthy of a PC gamer's attentionI had very high expectations for this game and I am in no way disappointed. Frankly, I am surprised by the bad reviews but not because I believe that everyone likes the same thing. The bad reviews taken in toto reveal a "even though you gave me a world, I still want more" mentality. I am further mystified by the comments that this game is somehow not worthy of a PC gamer's attention because it is a port. What difference does that make? Let me tell you a secret kiddies: ports have been around for ages and there was a time not so long ago when a game was judged based upon its immersion factor. Certainly comparisons CAN be made but the whining about the game being optimized for 360 controllers and pretty much left in a state of chaos for the PC are simply unfounded. The game positively exudes atmosphere and the world literally seduces you into that rarefied state of "just one more hour" for hours on end. Perhaps it doesn't have the graphics of a Hollywood blockbuster but again children, it is a GAME. The graphics however ARE splendid and I sense a significant improvement over Oblivion and a drastic improvement over Morrowind. Gone are the emaciated High Elves of Morrowind, and banished are the "human" races of Oblivion whose faces told a tale of people who needed a go on a treadmill. But even with the less than stellar models of Morrowind and Oblivion, those games were eminently playable, and absolutely immersive. Skyrim represents a very obvious maturation of the Elder Scrolls series. I would directly respond to those who complain about the graphics to try an experiment: read a book. You would be surprised at the graphics you get from black ink on wood pulp. If you REALLY need realism such that not even a pixel should be made manifest then go outdoors for Heaven's sake! Imagination is the key to great games and you have the freedom to make this game become whatever experience you desire it to be.

I applaud companies like Bethesda and CD-Projekt because they do NOT take the easy way out and create MMORPGs. It takes considerably more effort to create a single player game in which the characters become believable. I would wager that many of the whiners here are WoW junkies. As such, you limit yourself because with WoW you are at the mercy of what Blizzard decides to make you pay for and you had better get in at the right time because skill means nothing in WoW; it means EVERYTHING in games like Skyrim and The Witcher.

I am running this game on a dual core 2.92 GHz with a GeForce 9800 GTX; my rig is not exactly top spec anymore. That said, the game runs beautifully on high settings and looks beautiful even at medium. Yes there ARE glitches but in a game of this magnitude such things are to be expected. The voice acting will not win any Academy Awards but I do not expect that of any game; movies are made for that.

Lastly, I read one negative review here which stated that the person hated Skyrim and Bethesda so much that from now on the person was going to torrent everything Bethesda makes. I am supposing that the person who wrote this was frustrated because his torrent of MW3 was taking too long. Simply put, the reviewer who feels that engaging in immoral and illegal acts is justifiable because he/she dislikes a game should be banned: free speech does not include mentions of illegal activity. You ARE a criminal and it is people like you that make honest gamers pay a fortune. I apologize for the rant folks. Skyrim is a simply phenomenal game and we PC gamers are especially fortunate because this magnificent world of Skyrim shall grow beyond imagining and I am excited to see what is around the next corner.
  92. Nov 11, 2011
    I just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction afterI just want to say that this game is head and shoulders above Oblivion. Part of the reason I love this game so much is the fact that I've died numerous times already. I started playing this game like I played Oblivion or Fallout 3, just charging through, trying to tank dragon's like I did Behemoths, and it's not working, it's forcing me to step it up! I feel ENORMOUS satisfaction after taking down a dragon: definitively the highlight of my playthrough so far.

I have only one problem with it. The PC version doesn't have enough tweaks to the graphics settings for my liking (I feel Fallout 3 and New Vegas had more.) I had to go into the .ini file itself to tweak it. I have to do this because I don't have that great of a graphics card, but even on these tweaked low settings, the game still looks and plays amazing!

After the fiasco that Bethesda had with Id's RAGE, they certainly delivered big to keep up their own great reputation! I've also encountered far less bugs than in previous Gamebryo engined titles, so the Creation Engine rocks!
    Thank you Bethesda for delivering on your promises!
  93. Nov 11, 2011
    An amazing, amazing game. One of the best games I have ever played. A great sequel to Oblivion and past Elder Scrolls Games. And maybe even one of the best RPGs ever created. This game is a must own for any Elder Scrolls fan, RPG fan and gamer in general. 10/10! :D
  94. Nov 11, 2011
    My GOTY no doubt. PC version. The only thing I didn't like in comparison to the previous two titles was the environment. I know it's Skyrim but I miss the vibrant landscapes in Oblivion.
  95. Nov 11, 2011
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is one of the most immersion and groundbreaking games I have ever played. Not only does it contain beautiful graphics, but also a detailed story line, good AI, and many features that other games wouldn't even consider implementing.
  96. Nov 11, 2011
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME SHOULD NOT BE MISSED it lives UP TO THE HYPE!!!!!!! play it guys its going to be GOTY baby. I've played Oblivion and Morrowind but Skyrim has the best of both worlds and just improved upon its greatness.
  97. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is Morrowind revisited. Adventuring, exploration and discovery are back on the menu! Truck loads of love have been poured into this game. The attention to detail, the haunting music, and the ever increasing depth of the game are but the tip of a magical and mysterious mountain. Bethesda are the masters of the RPG genre.
  98. Nov 12, 2011
    Great Game, few bugs here and there, issues with graphics and what not on the PC version, nothing too unexpected for launch. Beautiful world to explore, first time I saw the moon I just stopped and stared for a few minutes, a well designed "Perk" system that rewards you for the way you want to play, and a story that is actually engaging and central enough to keep you on task....wheneverGreat Game, few bugs here and there, issues with graphics and what not on the PC version, nothing too unexpected for launch. Beautiful world to explore, first time I saw the moon I just stopped and stared for a few minutes, a well designed "Perk" system that rewards you for the way you want to play, and a story that is actually engaging and central enough to keep you on task....whenever you stop eating butterfly wings :B Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2011
    It is the game where you can be whatever you like...What else is there to be said ? ....Somebody will complain about graphics,somebody about inventory but people that is the reason why there are mods !...Game is awesome and if you give it a chance it will become you game of a decade !
  100. Nov 12, 2011
    The years of waiting has finally come to an end. And my verdict of the game? Absolutely amazing.
    I came into this fully knowing about the New ui, and that it was created as a multi platform game, that's why I will not complain about features that do not feel 'PC'. I am as big a PC gamer as the rest of em, but people have to realise that PC exclusive titles are going away, which in my honest opinion earns the developers more money, and in the case of bethesda they totally deserve it.
    I spent my first few hours of the game literally looking around in amazement, standing still wondering... I have so many things to do, what to do first. Your character isn't limited by the choice of what skills to use, which strangely made me stop and think deeply about how to play my character. The graphics are beautiful and the new engine is amazingly stable. Not had a single glitch or crash, which for a day one Bethesda game is simply outstanding and would earn it a 10 on that merit alone.
    If you do not have this game, get it.. as fast as you can. Play it with an open mind and no expectations, and I guarantee it will be one of the best gaming experiences of your life.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012