8.0

1. Nov 22, 2011
    One of the very best games I've ever played. A very refreshing step away from first person shooters. While I would not give this a 10 because I like to review my games later after the first patch, here goes. I gave Skyrim an 8, not because it has little issues here and there that can be overlooked, but because of the patch that just came out not 3 hours ago. Bethesda thought it would be aOne of the very best games I've ever played. A very refreshing step away from first person shooters. While I would not give this a 10 because I like to review my games later after the first patch, here goes. I gave Skyrim an 8, not because it has little issues here and there that can be overlooked, but because of the patch that just came out not 3 hours ago. Bethesda thought it would be a good idea to lock down certain parts of the coding and .ini files that make the game actually look and perform better. Why? No idea, probably just to stick it to the PC gamers that figured this out and are actually making the game better than what the people at Bethesda can do. Remember, there's more of us that there are of you. Mods are an essential part of the Elder Scrolls PC version, without those, Skyrim is all but dead. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyrim is an excellent game and probably one of the best of the year. It has fun and addictive game play beautiful scenery and graphics fun and rewarding quest lines and it has improved in leaps and bounds upon its already legendary predecessors.

Any game however is far from perfect and Skyrim has some major flaws to boast as well.  The first and most glaring flaw is the interface and menu system. On the PC it is very difficult to navigate and utilize quickly. You will find yourself selling and buying items you don't intend to and saying things in conversation that you don't mean to.
    The save game sorting is also bad. Instead of sorting saves by character profile all games are lumped into one list that you gave to dig through to find your correct choice, also no quick save button is readily available that I have found which makes the games instability all the more frustrating.
    As already mentioned the game is rather unstable and I have had to play through quite a bit of progression again due to crashes.

Some things are immersion breaking particularly the caves and barrows. I like that they used some different tile sets this time but all of the caves are lit up like you are in a jungle canopy rather than a cave and why do I figure out how to open a tomb that has been sealed for hundreds of years just to see a torch burning in a sconce on the other side?

Pathing is poor for NPCs and this can be exploited to kill monsters easily. It also makes having a companion a liability when it comes to traps they will get themselves killed constantly on easily avoidable traps and sometimes take you with them. There is also no way to discern their health easily to know if they need a heal.

Overall I recommend the purchase of the game. If you can wait try to get it on discount and if you have a decent PC get it on that platform.  TES series has a wonderful modding community and I hope many of the issues I have raised will eventually get fixed in patches or by the modders.
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game. But let's stop right there for a second - anyone claiming that the game is 'perfect' and 'the best game of our generation' are really exaggerating the game's strengths and massively downplaying its weaknesses. This game has MANY flaws, especially on the PC version. To deny them makes your review biased, one thing that a lot of people just don't understand (or don'tSkyrim is a good game. But let's stop right there for a second - anyone claiming that the game is 'perfect' and 'the best game of our generation' are really exaggerating the game's strengths and massively downplaying its weaknesses. This game has MANY flaws, especially on the PC version. To deny them makes your review biased, one thing that a lot of people just don't understand (or don't want to). You have to step back and look at the game from an objective perspective. So that's what I'm going to attempt to do right now. ::::PROS:::: 1.massive world 2. open ended 3. decent storyline and sidequests 4. well-designed and fun to explore dungeons 5. relatively immersive 6. highly customizable (playstyle, weapons, spells, etc) 7. PC version can be modded 8. some decent voice acting 9. magic is extremely satisfying (looks cool too) 10. easy to change difficulty allow you to change it to scale with your character 11. established lore that really sucks you into the world of Skyrim ::::CONS:::: 1. repetitive fetch/kill quests with no meaning 2. bad UI on PC - going through your "Misc" items with all the bugged and non-stacked soul gems is a nightmare 3. several immersion breaking problems 4. misplaced NPC dialogue (ie. being told by an NPC not to 'leave my stuff lying around' after they just killed me, or having an enemy say 'that was only a scratch!' AFTER I just chopped his head off - seems a lot of the dialogue triggers at the wrong moments) 5. feels too much like Fallout 3 and Oblivion - Bethesda does not seem to be really improving or changing too much of the same formula they've been using for years now -many sounds/textures are the exact same from Fallout 3) (eg. picking up ingredients/'ash pile') 6. graphics are good at a distance, but terrible up close > poor textures 7. many bugs - graphical glitches, crashes, quest bugs, getting stuck 8. horrible NPC AI (especially companions) - another thing Bethesda has not really improved upon 9. some poor voice acting/too many reused voice actors (ie. that one Slavic woman that seems to be cloned at least 3 times in every town) 10. crafting is generally not very fun - alchemy is overly diluted with 10 different ingredients that do the same thing, smithing requires you to create 5000 iron daggers to level, enchanting is ok 11. poor inventory management system (something that could have been improved for the PC) that makes 'the inventory game' a pain 12. The whole game in general sometimes feels more 'mechanical' rather then 'organic' By no means am I saying that Skyrim is a bad game. It can be incredibly fun and immersive and it offers countless hours of pure entertainment. However, its flaws are numerous, and I can't rightly give this game more than 8.0 out of 10. Thanks for reading! Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2011
    If it wasn't for The Witcher 2, this would definitely be Game of the Year but it has several shortcomings. The UI is definitely a console port mess, switching weapons, spells and shields during battles is often times a nightmare. You'll often get things mixed up, spells on the wrong hand, or weapon it's really a nightmare. Yes there are hotkeys but generally they don't help much whenIf it wasn't for The Witcher 2, this would definitely be Game of the Year but it has several shortcomings. The UI is definitely a console port mess, switching weapons, spells and shields during battles is often times a nightmare. You'll often get things mixed up, spells on the wrong hand, or weapon it's really a nightmare. Yes there are hotkeys but generally they don't help much when you're switching from spells to sword and boarding. Another problem is crafting is a pain, especially enchanting with the UI in place. Leveling up enchanting on weapons you've found is a pain. The level scaling system is back and it creates some odd problems. If you spent your first levels leveling up crafting trees before combat you'll often times face opponents far stronger than you because of your lack of combat skills. It's really annoying and I noticed this from the jump to 20-->30 because I spent around 5 levels crafting. It's annoying and they should really just ditch the idea, it doesn't promote exploration. It's annoying when you open a master safe and only get 12 gold. Really 12 gold for a master safe? The pros are well the skill system has been simplified now to perks on a little tree. It's simple and easier to understand than past Elder Scrolls. Dungeons have been vastly improved from Oblivion and are fun to just go exploring in for fun. Combat is a huge jump and the story is your typical DnD experience, it's predictable but your so lost in exploring you don't really care. Overall the game is great, it takes all the problems of Oblivion and fixes most, save for the annoying console UI, and I stress ANNOYING. Expand
  5. Nov 23, 2011
    Quite good game. Surely recommended, bears same addiction that rest of TES series had. Same funny bugs as well ;]. The main disadvantage is the graphics. Looks so outdated that heavily modded Oblivion looks a lot prettier. Cause of that, if You finished Oblivion, Skyrim gets boring after 50-100 hours of playing, its like a huge DLC, but nothing more. Pretty high time of playthrough as forQuite good game. Surely recommended, bears same addiction that rest of TES series had. Same funny bugs as well ;]. The main disadvantage is the graphics. Looks so outdated that heavily modded Oblivion looks a lot prettier. Cause of that, if You finished Oblivion, Skyrim gets boring after 50-100 hours of playing, its like a huge DLC, but nothing more. Pretty high time of playthrough as for modern cRPGs, but compared to The Wither 2 (Ultra++ settings), that after 4th finish (4x~30h) still gives me the same "Oo-ooh" graphic wise and still makes me want to play again with massive sightseeing and eye orgasms, still wont make me change wallpaper gallery made from thousand of screenshots, its not impressive anymore. Game surely worth finishing + exploring most of its content but thats it. Finish and forget. The Witcher 2 made a lot better impression on me TBH. Expand
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    Good but not great. Bottom line is that this is still a TES game and has fundamentally all the same pluses and minuses of both Morrowind and Oblivion. On the upside the scale of it and the immersion in the world is amazing. On the downside however, the combat is still floaty and lacks any real sense of impact, the skill system is totally unbalanced and exploitable and some of the questGood but not great. Bottom line is that this is still a TES game and has fundamentally all the same pluses and minuses of both Morrowind and Oblivion. On the upside the scale of it and the immersion in the world is amazing. On the downside however, the combat is still floaty and lacks any real sense of impact, the skill system is totally unbalanced and exploitable and some of the quest lines (*cough* mages *cough*) are really very very bad. Again. Bottom line is that it's a slightly updated version of Oblivion. Oh - and the PC UI is an abomination, possible the worst UI I've seen with the exception of Final Fantasy XIV. Expand
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    After reading some of the more 'harsh' reviews I have come to one conclusion, they are not playing the same game as me. While Skyrim doesn't deserve top marks (and I will explain why) it certainly doesn't disappoint.

Starting Skyrim up for the first time is like visiting an old friend who you haven't seen in a while, it's heading into the unknown and yet that familiar excitement starts to flow back, finally you are given the chance to customize your looks and this is where the fun begins.

First, the graphics. I'm really not sure why people say they are dated, and even comparing them to oblivion, they are more advance, I would say looking back that Oblivion was too bright and colourful which made it much more cartoony, but I can accept that, Cyrodiil was a completely different region to Skyrim. Skyrim is just grittier and darker due to a change of climate and a more realistic colour tone.

The game has kept me interested for 30+ hours over the week, and I'm still going, I haven't even touched the main quest out of interest on exploring and side questing, each character you talk to has his own personality, and sometimes I find myself going out of my way to teach people a lesson for insulting me because I have felt a connection to my character, the game is rather addictive once you've settled in the world, and there is plenty to do (plenty is an understatement)

One particularly cool feature is that sometimes a dragon will descend upon you, and the music kicks in and you are soon fighting this thing with just a sword and a bow, it all becomes rather epic as you weave and slash away at this beast that has come from nowhere, the music only entices the adrenaline as you feel like a true warrior. Great job on the music, it really draws you in and makes the game feel more complete.

But with good points, there are also bad, and this game seems to bring a slight disappointment to the PC gamer in me, since this appears to be a console port, the game plays well minus a few bugs, however it is the menus and interface that it falls rather flat on. Text that you have your mouse over isn't necessarily the text highlighted and can create some rather annoying â
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    Either my eye sight is gone or people are talking out their ass when they say the graphics are bad. It's quite good for a game, certain people just have THE PERFECT GAME in their head and will down vote anything that does not match it. Yea the game isn't perfect, no game ever will be. Pros; Great open world, good graphics, good voice overs, good mod support. Overall it's a hugeEither my eye sight is gone or people are talking out their ass when they say the graphics are bad. It's quite good for a game, certain people just have THE PERFECT GAME in their head and will down vote anything that does not match it. Yea the game isn't perfect, no game ever will be. Pros; Great open world, good graphics, good voice overs, good mod support. Overall it's a huge improvement from previous elder scroll games. Cons; Dragons are too easy, Smithing/Enchanting are too powerful later on, ocassioal crash bugs, interface was designed for consoles and they had to actually patch in mouse support for PCs. Level Scaling; While it's true that enemies and items scale based off your level, it is not to the extent that it happened in Oblivion. Your stats scale faster than theirs and they do get progressively easier, even to the point of being able to instantly kill nearly anything. It's not like before where you were punished for leveling. Again, it's far from perfect and was obviously designed as a console port, but it still manages to pull passed that and comes into it's own as a great RPG. Expand
  9. Nov 27, 2011
    It is a fun game. Great main story, fun game play, beautiful graphics, open world. But its not all good. The side missions, for example, the Mages Guild in this game just sucks. I mean, when you complete the mission, its like they say "good job, now here you win" and thats it! Blood graphics are still not impressive for an M rated game. ALOT of glitches in the game, usually major glichesIt is a fun game. Great main story, fun game play, beautiful graphics, open world. But its not all good. The side missions, for example, the Mages Guild in this game just sucks. I mean, when you complete the mission, its like they say "good job, now here you win" and thats it! Blood graphics are still not impressive for an M rated game. ALOT of glitches in the game, usually major gliches that probably are figured out by now. Overall a good game, but please Elder Scroll, work on side quests too! Expand
  10. Nov 27, 2011
    Anybody who gives this game more than 7.5 isn't looking at Skyrim objectively or they know nothing about RPG's in general.

Skyrim is a beautiful, full world. There are plenty of quests to do, people to meet, and dragons to kill. However, none of it is really innovative. Other than dragons Skyrim doesn't really add anything new to the Oblivion formula. Just about everything that made Oblivion good is there, and not much else.

The graphics are beautiful, the game-play is smooth for the most part, the dialogue and voice acting are top notch (even if voice actors are reused ad naseum). Sadly the game has a serious number of little flaws that, when added together, really make Skyrim and overall disappointment.

Starting with the interface. Definitely developed with consoles in mind. For PC users it's slow, clunky, and just plain bad. Even using my 360 controller with the PC version of the game it's just not right. This is probably why I don't own a console, this minimalistic design scheme is weak and uninspired.

The interface is most troubling because it gets in the way of the meat of of any RPG; combat. You'll often find find yourself accessing the inventory several times through combat to change spells, or drink potions, or switch from dual wield to weapon and shield. Even with the "favorites" button which can cut time navigating the menus it still becomes an annoyance breaking up the flow of a particular battle and ruining the overall experience.

Moving on to keyboard controls they are just plain screwed it up. Even after the patch I cannot make my own custom keyboard setup as the game fails to save any of the changes I make. And the default controls are a mess. They could have taken some hints from some of the modern day standards instead of screwing it up just to be different. Different isn't always better.

The level and skill advancement hasn't changed much from Oblivion, except now you can choose various perks from high skill levels that used to be automatically assigned as you progressed in Oblivion. The spells and skill selection hasn't changed much (if at all) which is also disappointing.

Combat is action oriented hack and slash where your skill with the keyboard (or controller) is more important than your character stats. As everything you face will be tailored to your level you will, for the most part, never find anything too hard or too easy if you approach the encounter right.. Honestly, I think my characters skill with a bow should be more important than my skill of aiming the bow for him. While it's a standard for action RPG's it lessens character development.

You will find tho that making a character to your play style will be pretty easy. The balance and difference between various play styles is well done and feel quite different for the most part, requiring different strategies for encounters. Mages, warriors, rogues, and rogue-mages, and warrior mages all feel independent of each other. This is perhaps the highlight of the game mechanics.

The biggest disappointment of this game is Bethesda's promise of certain things that they failed to achieve. One was the "alieness" you felt in Morrowind. They promised players would feel like a stranger in a strange land with Skyrim, much like the unique presentation of Morrowind which was lost with the generic setting of Oblivion. Skyrim has no such sense of being unique in any way. It's more or less like one would expect an RPG set in snowy mountain regions with nordic influence.

Skyrim is a fine game. It's fun to play and it's vast. There is lots to look at and do. But it's not perfect. It's certainly better than most other open world RPG's (Gothic 3 & 4, Risen) but then so are Morrowind and Oblivion to this day. Sadly, Skyrim fails to take what Morrowind and Oblivion games us to the next level. It just gives us more of the same but with a worse interface.
  11. Nov 28, 2011
    To put it short: brilliant game. I have been using every spare moment of my time since the game released to play it. I honestly can't remember being this immersed in a game since I first played World of Warcraft back in 2006 or so. That's really saying something considering most games do not impress me at all these days.

Having never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series before this

Having never been a fan of the Elder Scrolls series before this game, perhaps my opinions is a little skewed. For me, this has been an entirely new experience that I thought may have only existed in MMO's, a market that is completely saturated at this current time. I was beyond surprised and pleased when I began my journeys through the harsh, beautiful, and vast world of Skyrim. The voice overs are good, only becoming cheesy or poor from time to time, the combat system is fun and feels rewarding br leveling your character up in real time by actually performing an action, and perks you receive from leveling up definitely make your character feel like more of a hero. That heavy armor may take up alot of your bag space, but trust me, once you fill out your perks, it's worth it! Other skills are improved upon in a similar, rewarding way. The game isn't without it problems. The game has several glitches, and many people have even run into game breaking bugs. If you play on PC, there seems to be a constant "crash to desktop" error as well that can be pretty infuriating when you are engrossed in the game. Having to constantly save due to a game's instability is unacceptable. Overall, the game is gorgeous and rewarding, though at times the bugs can cause you to want to rip your hair out. Given the massive size of this world and the adventures that take place in it though, most players will be willing to forgive them. The good far, far outweighs the bad. A game I will certainly never forget.
  12. Dec 8, 2011
    It's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make SkyrimIt's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make Skyrim value for money and worth peoples time. Unfortunately I found the main story fairly lame and I felt disinterested in most of Skyrim's characters and skipped over most of the dialog which should not be the case in an RPG. I found myself only completing quests for rewards rather than any story purpose which is a missed opportunity. I also did not like most of the character models in Skyrim, the humanoid faces were awkward to look at. As I played Skyrim on PC I was disappointed that the UI was very console friendly at the expense of much keyboard/mouse support, which is something that is inexcusable for a game originating on the PC. Overall Skyrim is an epic game and one that has a lot of depth, its a pity that the characters and overall story of the game are not better but it is what it is. Recommended. Expand
  13. Dec 4, 2011
    As a true elder scroll fan, I can promise to any reader reading this review will not see a biased/unrelated/ranting review here. I was long looking forward to skyrim, after experiencing Oblivion I honestly thought Bethesda could not surpass this. After playing many hours of Skyrim I feel I can speak true to other fans, or any other gamer who seek an excellent FPRPG experience. Lets startAs a true elder scroll fan, I can promise to any reader reading this review will not see a biased/unrelated/ranting review here. I was long looking forward to skyrim, after experiencing Oblivion I honestly thought Bethesda could not surpass this. After playing many hours of Skyrim I feel I can speak true to other fans, or any other gamer who seek an excellent FPRPG experience. Lets start out visually; Skyrim I must say is stunning (if you have the power for it), even on a medium setting. What really strikes out is the atmosphere. You will see snow dust blowing, trees waving, beautiful water detail falling from cliffs and all sorts of wildlife running from and after you.. Skyrim honestly made me feel as if I was actually in the wild. The characters were mediocre, slightly better then those from oblivion with some flaws on texturing when they speak. Character creation, although very similar to oblivion, is very detailed as well, customizing everything from your nose, to the amount of dirt thats exposed on your skin. Now to gameplay; Skyrim has many different aspects to its gameplay that many gamers such as myself can pick out for a thorough review. First combat. I can definitely say that bethesda perfected combat in skyrim. No longer is it running around hacking and slashing. There are more fluid techniques one can use and it actually feels that you need to study your opponents moves. From using your shield to push them back to parrying them. Spells are excellent in which you now hold down to attack and dual wield. All in all the combat in skyrim is flawless. A huge draw back in this game is the character leveling. There are many perks one could use in this game but I feel there is alot left out. No matter if its a sword or mace, the mechanics only care if its one handed or two handed. Character strength and athletics no longer matter and any race can be a good spell caster if you devote your points to it. It feels that you can be anyone and excell in anything, which is fine, but it takes the fun out of being a character specific class. One thing I felt fell short was the GUI. The interface can be quite aggravating compared to oblivion which was much more organized. Some highlighted conversation selections will not work, the map controls are bit tedious to work with, and the inventory screen is quite bland. On to the story/quest/replay values. So far (I will not spoil anything) the story line is excellent. All the characters have a different personality, the voice acting is excellent, there are literally hundreds of quests and you will never become bored. AI town civilization is also greatly improved. Characters have better dialogue with each other and it feels like an actual simulation. To sum it all up, If you are an elder scrolls fan, Skyrim should not be an option just get it you will be satisfied. If you enjoy in depth RPG's that take on a more action style gameplay, Skyrim will satisfy you. If high replay value is what you are looking for, look no more. Skyrim, I can easily say, definitely meets expectations to a brand new Elder Scrolls title Expand
  14. Dec 4, 2011
    While there are certainly RPG elements, I would hesitate to call this a true RPG. Not that it is a bad game by any means, but fans of Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, or Morrowind may feel they are missing depth. The quests are fun, and the combat is intuitive. Magic scales poorly, however. Overall, a very fun game, but almost brainless compared to more full bodied RPG's.
  15. Dec 7, 2011
    I would be traversing the wilds of Skyrim right now, however I took an arrow in the knee so must sit and write about what I have learned.
    First off, This game is in no way deserving of a 10! So many bugs. (long list, you can look they up as you come across them..... yeah you are not the first to have that happen) some you can work around, some that make you just drop a certain quest line. (Saarthal the 6 pillarstones simply wont work for me..... cannot go any further. No workaround that I can find, previous saves don't clear up the issue)
    Do I expect it to be bug free? Would not dream of it. As a matter of fact, because it it a Bethesda game, I expect it, and would for some strange reason give it absolution from the rules of ratings. The price of this absolution is the highest score a gold Bethesda release can ever get is a 9. You know it needs patched even before you install it.

Sights and sounds are amazing. This is the ultimate "Whats over the next hill" game. Graphics and textures seem to be held back to accommodate our uhh...... not quite up to speed, distant relatives on the console side of the family, but work nicely and set me into a fine state of immersion. So just a small hit here. (took me 2 hours to get sound to work, Bethesda logo war drums nothing. Was playing with headphones. Updated all drivers ya-da, ya-da, ya-da.... set audio from headphones to surround sound and fixed!)

Lets talk Gravity for a moment. Although this game feels less "floaty" then last efforts, this bugs me more then all other Bethesda traits. Sneak your way through a cave and walk over a skull. It flies across the room like you kicked it with all your might.
    All this vertical terrine and I can just run down most steep cliffs without any fear of falling to my death. About the only time gravity kicks in is when I'm running up hill and get caught on a 6 inch lip in the hillside. I guess all those $$$$$ make them float around the office, and they perceive gravity a little different.
    That's my biggest pet peeve against Bethesda games. Big minus in the score column.

All and all, at the end of the day I have a lot of fun, and would say that there are lots of adventures awaiting. 30 some hours into it, and I feel like I have just nicked the surface. Weighing good vs bad with this game is unlike most games ratings. It's more like your personal tolerance meter then a score. Some company's put out a 6 hour game today for the same price. I feel that I will not find most of the bugs before they are fixed, and I'll be playing this game for a long while. So I give the game an 8.5. This is the sum of the overall value to me. It is a lot of entertainment for the money, and the good outshines its unsightly blemishes.
  16. Dec 11, 2011
    It's exactly what you've some to expect from Bethesda, another amazing expansive and engaging world. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, with a Jeremy Soule soundtrack for the ages. The gameplay feels a bit more brutal and satisfying than it was in Oblivion and Morrowind, and the new skill trees let you truly craft a unique character. The only gripe I have with Skyrim is that the main questline isIt's exactly what you've some to expect from Bethesda, another amazing expansive and engaging world. Skyrim is a gorgeous game, with a Jeremy Soule soundtrack for the ages. The gameplay feels a bit more brutal and satisfying than it was in Oblivion and Morrowind, and the new skill trees let you truly craft a unique character. The only gripe I have with Skyrim is that the main questline is extremely short, well written and voiced, but short. It feels like it just gets going, and before you know it it's over. Luckily though the game offers you enough sidequests and places to explore that it keeps you pretty damn happy, which is something most games can't say if their main story falls a bit short. Expand
  17. Dec 12, 2011
    A pretty solid game but I feel it was lacking somewhat when compared to Oblivion in a few respects, first of it seemed a lot less complex in regard to levelling, there were fewer skill trees with some of my favourites missing such as unarmed combat. This is probably due to Bethesda trying to market the game to a wider audience but it just feels a bit dumbed down. Otherwise the graphicsA pretty solid game but I feel it was lacking somewhat when compared to Oblivion in a few respects, first of it seemed a lot less complex in regard to levelling, there were fewer skill trees with some of my favourites missing such as unarmed combat. This is probably due to Bethesda trying to market the game to a wider audience but it just feels a bit dumbed down. Otherwise the graphics were a vast improvement and the horrible Bethesda face has finally been removed from speech. It has been made more accessible and streamlined and the world felt a lot bigger. There is a lot to do and find and the freedom is immense like every elder scrolls, I'm still eagerly awaiting the DLC. Expand
  18. Dec 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Truly, a joy to play. Skyrim has a lot of great points and bad points that just can't be ignored. The Great. At first, the leveling and skill tree changes kind of bothered me, but I grew to like the changes, it's a little bit more simplified over oblivion for the leveling, moving to just magicka/health/stamina but the skill trees give a lot of room for diversification. There is a ton to do, so much so, it's hard to know for sure if you've done everything in an area. I particularly like the choices that are presented in some of the quests, for example, when joining the brotherhood. I liked the addition of the shouts in the game, gave a lot of the casting abilities for those who choose not to be a mage. I thought it was a cool idea to move the stars from what you were born under to the stones and I loved how they got rid of the greater and lesser skills and can level everything equally. I loved the enchants, as overpowered as they are, there's still a certain joy in completely destroying your enemy with gear that you've made.

The Bad: Holy bugs batman... I've been running the game on a top of the line system and get game crashes about every 30min-1hr and get weird graphical gliches as well (which seem to go hand in hand most of the time). I had a companion quest bug out on me because I had cleared out the dungeon while exploring that they were gonna send me to and had to use console commands to fix it after waiting a month in game. Also had a similar story trying to get the house in windhelm, had to use console commands for that one too (who knew you couldn't do brotherhood quests first?). While I like the skill trees, It's doesn't take long to figure out that most of the skills in those trees are worthless (anyone else notice how light armor fully perked is completely worthless when held up against heavy armor fully perked?) and I was surprised and disappointed how many of the top tier perks fell into the worthless category. I was a bit bothered that mages can run around in heavy armor without any penalties, truly, it makes no sense why the mages at the college are all wearing cloth. Playing through on master difficulty is still too easy with the crafting skills as they are, especially enchanting, which can and does completely invalidate magicka altogether (sucks to find that out halfway into the game as a mage after power leveling your magicka). I REALLY wanted at least one item, just one, to be better than something I could make myself. (wth is the point of doing all those shrines if they're all gonna be worse than what you've got?)

All in all, I know it sounds like I didn't like the game, but after putting in over 240 hrs, I just can't say that I didn't love it. The reply value is high, the entertainment value is high, the story is riveting, I just ended up having to gimp myself and not use certain skills to make it harder. (Currently playing through only using thief stone skills +1hd on master)
  19. Dec 15, 2011
    Amazing game. The level up system is really great and in depth. The variety of things to do in this game is enormous. If you simply want to wander around roaming the wilderness for animals, then fine you can do it. If you feel like going on a mass murder spree then the wish is yours. You may also do exciting quests or have fun throwing food at someones face. These are just the starts toAmazing game. The level up system is really great and in depth. The variety of things to do in this game is enormous. If you simply want to wander around roaming the wilderness for animals, then fine you can do it. If you feel like going on a mass murder spree then the wish is yours. You may also do exciting quests or have fun throwing food at someones face. These are just the starts to this amazing journey however for some people they are not even allowed to experience this amazing game due to massive bugs. I, myself have never had any of these although I know someone who cant even open a door without crashes. Another issue I have found is that i am bored. I have no idea why because I always had great time playing, but for some reason I still just don't feel like playing this game. Odd Expand
  20. Dec 20, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite any flaws it has. The biggest problems were the lack of diversity when playing as different races (ie, Altmer not treated any differently than an Orc, other than being called "Orc" rather than "Elf" by NPCs). Another problem was the repetition in the questions, which seemed to be mostly made up of Got to X Cave, retrieve/slay Y. Additionally, the mainI thoroughly enjoyed the game, despite any flaws it has. The biggest problems were the lack of diversity when playing as different races (ie, Altmer not treated any differently than an Orc, other than being called "Orc" rather than "Elf" by NPCs). Another problem was the repetition in the questions, which seemed to be mostly made up of Got to X Cave, retrieve/slay Y. Additionally, the main quest seems to be halfarsed towards the end and you will be disappointed by the ending. By this point in the series, I expect this sort of stuff, though it would have been nice if they had gone a bit beyond. Expand
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    Skyrim is a good game, but by no means the game it could have been.
    The graphics are improved, the music is fantastic, and the nordic atmosphere is captured quite well.
    The problems however make the game less fun on the long run, compared to the older installments. Attributes have been removed completely, the magic system has been gutted, to a mere handful of effects left, the spellmaker
    Skyrim is a good game, but by no means the game it could have been.

Attributes have been removed completely, the magic system has been gutted, to a mere handful of effects left, the spellmaker is gone, there are very few good quests, most of them are kill&Collect quests, the guild quest series are mostly very short and unimaginative, and the main story, while better as in Oblivion is also average at best.
    But there are a number of improvements too. The graphics have been updated, you can cook and smith now, buy multiple houses, and marry someone. The perk system which is introduced works quite well, but can in no way compensate for the loss of attributes, spellmaker and magic effects.
    There is more wildlife now, and the cities are denser populated, making the world more "alive". The dungeons are handmade now, and have a shortcut at the end, so one does not have to run through the entire dungeon to get to the exit. Unfortunately the variety of the enemies is extremely limited. There are bandits, trolls, Rogue magic users/vampires and Draugrs(Most of the time), that's it, that's all you will ever encounter in dungeons. All in all a good game, which lacks the complexity and replay-value of its predecessors, and gets boring more quickly. While i played more than 500h in Oblivion(with the extraordinary OOO-Mod), Skyrim gets tedious after less than half of that time.

Despite that, i see a concerning development on the horizon. The dumbing down of games has reached TES. No spellmaker, no attributes, less skills, gutted magic system, imaginative quest replaced by boring grind quests. If this continues, Skyrim is the last TES-installment i will buy. I played all of the TES games, and never was this trend so obvious as in Skyrim.
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    Skyrim is an excellent game there is no doubt about that, I am generally a little concerned about the direction of travel the series is going in. I think the streamlining has gone a little too far, I understand where some, indeed many, of the changes may have been for the better over the last couple of games but it feels like the series is losing something in the quest to appeal to theSkyrim is an excellent game there is no doubt about that, I am generally a little concerned about the direction of travel the series is going in. I think the streamlining has gone a little too far, I understand where some, indeed many, of the changes may have been for the better over the last couple of games but it feels like the series is losing something in the quest to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Mods will hopefully be Skyrims savior much as they where Oblivions. I just urge Beth to think a little longer and harder about what how to achieve fun accessible gameplay without throwing out more and more complexity. Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    The very best feature in Skyrim is ignoring what you're supposed to do. It's a compelling feature and one that also signifies shortcomings in different areas. It's an issue when the most fun you have is pointing your character in one direction and simply walking. Not because this isn't enjoyable -- it's mind blowing -- it's because it says that the main narrative isn't compelling enough toThe very best feature in Skyrim is ignoring what you're supposed to do. It's a compelling feature and one that also signifies shortcomings in different areas. It's an issue when the most fun you have is pointing your character in one direction and simply walking. Not because this isn't enjoyable -- it's mind blowing -- it's because it says that the main narrative isn't compelling enough to see through. There is more fun in exploring a random cave you stumbled upon and finding a new shout than it is exploring the civil conflict that is plaguing Skyrim. That said, doing whatever you want to do in a great setting is easily enough to sink triple digit hours into. In one playthrough I decided to head East for the majority of my questing and while many of the caves started to look the same, the little stories you find tucked away were unique. The game handles as one would expect of an Elder Scrolls title and in that it feels a little weak. Press a button and press it again and again and again and again. Once you're strong enough you simple charge up and smack things in one hit. Casting has a bit more variation but once you learn to summon certain companions the challenge evaporates here as well. Some of the skill trees are utterly worthless and should have been folded into others, but the game is still worth playing and getting lost it. Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    Dehydrated review

What an RPG should be. Takes best of past games and improves on it. Very few bugs, smooth gameplay, massive open world, one of the best modern games out there to play. This is a definite buy.
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    Just another good action-rpg.
    The balance but no perfect, the dialogues are sometimes repetitive/incoherent/retarded.
    But overall its still a good game with a huge potential of playability thanks to the mod community (nexus).
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    Let me start out by saying - this game is easily the best of its' genre.

However, it does have some problems that many people will probably overlook. The re-playability of the game is really good, but the re-telling of the story isn't so great. The story in itself is ok, but totally takes away from your immersion in the world. There are some spurious reasons behind making your character
    Let me start out by saying - this game is easily the best of its' genre.

The story in itself is ok, but totally takes away from your immersion in the world. There are some spurious reasons behind making your character the protagonist in many occasions. After a while you get used to being the man who becomes king because everyone else around just says "Hey yeah, totally good idea, because like... you're THAT good".

I'm really mostly looking forward to the creation kit and seeing what people come up with on their own. Bethesda have done an awe inspiring job of graphics and game-engine building, but a god awful job of creating an immersive storyline and some of the voice acting is sub-par at best - others are great, like Esbern.

The follower they give you at the start has a lot of AI issues and really annoying habits, I'm not totally sure why they did this, however the AI programming and follower control needs some overhaul in my opinion.
  27. Dec 26, 2011
    I had alot of expectations going into this game as I am sure alot of people did after playing oblivion. I felt most of the storylines was immersive and very nicely polished. The downside to this were that they were not long enough. After playing oblivion, my first thing I wanted to do was join the thieves and the assassins guild. The thieves guild lived up to my expectations and theI had alot of expectations going into this game as I am sure alot of people did after playing oblivion. I felt most of the storylines was immersive and very nicely polished. The downside to this were that they were not long enough. After playing oblivion, my first thing I wanted to do was join the thieves and the assassins guild. The thieves guild lived up to my expectations and the storyline was definitely one of the better ones. The assassins storyline on the other hand was very short and didn't feel very immersive at all. The combat next and again a big let down on what I was expecting, it got very repetitive very quick and was just basically a hack and slash for me with who emptied ones health bar first won. There is no real tactics for combat and is one of the biggest let downs in the game. Overall I must say that I enjoyed the game for the amount of time I put into it and would definitely recommend this game to anyone that loves the RPG fantasy genre. Expand
  28. Dec 27, 2011
    This game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized byThis game has so much inside of it. You get your money's worth. My only grief is that out of (apparently) no where the game will lag to an unplayable level. This can be fixed the first time by fast travelling to another location (or going to a load screen). After the first time it becomes more frequent until you have to restart the game. Apparently this issue has been recognized by bethesda and they are working on it. Setting my graphics lower increases the amount of time it takes for this glitch to appear again. I would recommend waiting to buy this game until it's on sale (I got it on a steam holiday sale). When everything is smooth I will enjoy this game all the more. I am very pleased with this game, I would recommend getting the nexus mod manager and getting some of the top mods for this notably "acceleration layer." Check out skyrim nexus for more details. Expand
  29. Dec 27, 2011
    some great stuff, but not polished. dragon fights are terrible, and that includes boss fights. not enough tough single enemies to really get into a technical duel with. graphics are 360 level. great quests though, and great npcs
  30. Dec 28, 2011
    My ignorance might have won the day. I could have given this a 9 or even a 10 but I can't. Why? Because I've played the Witcher games and have discovered just how great an RPG really can be. Yes, Skyrim looks beautiful in those huge outdoor vistas. Just don't get too close to anything, though. Close-up details are not particularly good, even on the highest graphics settings.
    As for the
    As for the main quest, I've been playing the game for about 10 hours and I'm really not getting engaged with the main plot at all. On the plus side it's because there are just so many side quests to do - this game is HUGE. On the minus side, the main quest is just not very interesting. Apparently the world might end. Really? In Oblivion it really felt that way. The hordes of the underworld had bled through and the ominous red glow in the sky was chilling and added a genuine feeling of peril. In this game I don't feel it at all. The world is full of dragons. They're pretty easy to kill, much easier than most dungeon bosses.
    Many of the side missions are retrieval quests - "I've lost X, go to Y and bring it back" - but they're fun for the most part, if not particularly challenging.
    The controls and combat are Ok but could be much better. A very obvious console port and not intuitive for mouse and keyboard but everything does run smoothly.
    Unfortunately there are tons of bugs - not too surprising for such a huge game and no real game-breakers. Just silly, laughable quirks like my horse becoming invisible at certain angles so it looks like I'm floating astride nothing. Sometimes dropped items don't land on the ground but sit three feet above my head, just floating there in space.
    I'm still enjoying it, hence the decent score, but it's just not engaging enough to give it full marks.
  31. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is a bit broken because it is made for consoles. But if you download tens of mods (including graphics and optimizing mods) the game will be a very satisfying experience. 6 of 10 without mods, 8,5 of 10 with mods. Now I'm just waiting for Skyrim Steam Workship so I can handle my mods easily in Steam.
  32. Dec 31, 2011
    While The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen theseWhile The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen these past years. That's the main reason why I did not give this game a 10/10. Lost 1 point for lack of ambiance amongst the world. Exploring the world itself can take time and not to mention playing on "Master" difficulty will add plenty of hours to main quests and side quests. Whilst playing on anything below "Master" will definitely leave you wanting for more since the main quest is a bit short but can be elongated if the difficulty setting is changed. Then again, there are plenty of other quests the game provides you that will keep you busy through months, that is if you're the perfectionist or adventurer type. There are plenty of crafts to master from smithing to enchanting weaponry. I took another point off due to the basic level up system Skyrim has, while there are a variety of options there's not enough to say it is a true RPG leveling system. It follows more of the likes of Dragon Age, which is simplistic and does not really leave room to create unique characters from pures to hybrids. The giants are stronger than dragons debate I can say it is the difficulty level you're playing and the dragon you're fighting. A regular dragon is amongst the easiest, whilst a frost dragon can 1 hit KO the character. Most of these people complaining about the length obviously didn't take the time to change the difficulty setting of the game and just basically rushed through the main story instead of allowing themselves to enjoy this game. There's tons of books scattered around to collect that provide knowledge of certain areas, characters, history, organizations, and ect that can keep you busy reading if you're the person who enjoys expanding you're knowledge about Skyrim. I have to agree with some people stating some side quests left more to desire and that's another reason why I'm not giving this game a 10/10. About glitches and bugs found in Skyrim, we have to understand this is an open world sand box game so expect plenty of bugs and glitches. There's really nothing game breaking other than some words cannot be learned due to a bug on the game but does not necessarily impair you from completing quests.Overall this game is worth the $60.00 for players who are RPG fans. Many people claim this game is repetitive but which game isn't? FPS games = shoot/mission over/ cinematic/ infiltrate shoot/ mission over/ cinematic. That debate loses plenty of credibility fast as this game provides plenty of other options to keep yourself busy and away from monotonous dungeon clearing. Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2012
    This is definitely a great game, but no way does it deserve the GOTY or the 100/100 scores you see from the critics. Visually it is amazing and Bethesda have truly done a fantastic job of making sure everything you see looks good - it really is a masterpiece of ingame world art. The attention to the layout of rivers, waterfalls, mountains, dungeons, towns, caves, snow, rain, etc, etc..This is definitely a great game, but no way does it deserve the GOTY or the 100/100 scores you see from the critics. Visually it is amazing and Bethesda have truly done a fantastic job of making sure everything you see looks good - it really is a masterpiece of ingame world art. The attention to the layout of rivers, waterfalls, mountains, dungeons, towns, caves, snow, rain, etc, etc.. fantastic. If only they had spent as much time with the depth of the quests and making sure it was bug free, it could have been the best game ever made. Expand
  34. Jan 6, 2012
    Skyrim was fun until I realized my side quest accomplishment of becoming the world's greatest wizard no longer mattered as soon as I step foot inside the thief's guild. Once again, I was just a grunt. The lack of side-quest persistence throughout the game, and its lack of impact on the main story, breaks much of the immersion built early on. Besides that, this game earns its title as theSkyrim was fun until I realized my side quest accomplishment of becoming the world's greatest wizard no longer mattered as soon as I step foot inside the thief's guild. Once again, I was just a grunt. The lack of side-quest persistence throughout the game, and its lack of impact on the main story, breaks much of the immersion built early on. Besides that, this game earns its title as the true successor to Morrowind. The combat is lively and exciting, adding depth to the already impressive dragon shout system that elevates you to a whole new pedestal of awesomeness. The game could do with more meaningful secrets to discover, but the content that is there is sure to leave you breathless for weeks, if not months, on end. Get this game, enjoy it. Expand
  35. Jan 14, 2012
    doesn't live up to my expectations unfortunately. But since I am a fan of the series and have played the previous game quite a bit, I'm still pleased. The game is less open ended then Oblivion IV, often you can't alter or end a quest line by killing a key person, they often act like you didn't kill them the next time you go visit them, and the menu system and controls are far too consoledoesn't live up to my expectations unfortunately. But since I am a fan of the series and have played the previous game quite a bit, I'm still pleased. The game is less open ended then Oblivion IV, often you can't alter or end a quest line by killing a key person, they often act like you didn't kill them the next time you go visit them, and the menu system and controls are far too console oriented, making it feel like it was just ported straight over to the PC without tweaks for controls. It is still fun, and I like ironic bugs in the game if they aren't messing with the quest direction too much. Expand
  36. Jan 14, 2012
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

Skyrim offers an amazingly large free-to-roam world in which many items, quests, monsters and dragons can be found. The game's impressive story-line, life-like characters and action-packed quests definitely make it one of the best games of 2011 - 2012. The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, what an amazing game!

The only flaws I could see with the game is the fact that the dragon battles can get repetitive, as they tend to repeat the same actions over again and that a lot of glitches are present in this game, which may actually prevent the player from completing a quest, or may just be minor.

Other than that, this game is amazing! 8!
  37. Jan 17, 2012
    Skyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game thatSkyrim is a good game, but something about it doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's because I am extremely tired of fantasy adventure settings, wonder why open world games are so good, or maybe it's because Skyrim has the same exact gameplay as Oblivion or Morrowind. Just repackaged with better music, sounds, animations, and graphics. But, in all honesty, it is still an excellent game that DOES take awhile for me to enjoy it thoroughly. One of my favorite aspects is the perk system, which does not fail in allowing you to use WHATEVER you want. As a fan of warriors who uses two handed swords and matching armor, this game REALLY caters to me! Let's see World of Warcraft or ANY OTHER RPG do that, as they only encourage you to use "what's best". Anyway, Skyrim is stellar in every aspect, but tough for people like me to get into... Expand
  38. Jan 18, 2012
    with 212 hours spent on this game (2 playthroughs) its gonna be pretty obvious that I love it.
    (i'm playing with a 360 controller) I agree with the people who say the pc control system is terrible.
    I tried keyboard and mouse for the first hour or so and it was a chore to say the least. bethesda should be ashamed. it was pc gamers who put them where they are today yet they fail to do any

bethesda should be ashamed. it was pc gamers who put them where they are today yet they fail to do any optimization of the interface for us loyal pc gamers. however it is a fantastic game, there is so much you can do. the fact that you can level yourself up and make weapons and armour that are better than what you can find in the game is a BIG bonus if you ask me and not as others have stated a flaw. you get a great sense of achievement when you wipe out a team of enemies with weapons you have crafted yourself.

the game is not without its flaws. the wooden npc's spouting the same lines over and over becomes a bit annoying, the fact that you can't craft an amazing bow but you can't make arrows to go with it, the sometimes dodgy animation. the swordplay isn't that great either, but seeing as i tend to play as a sneaky archer it doesn't really bother me.

it won't be a game for everybody, if you like your action thick and fast stay away as there is a lot of exploring to be done where not much happens other than the odd bear or wolf attacking you.
    in this day and age of the average game lasting 8-10 hours and you ending up feeling ripped off, skyrim has the depth to keep you entertained for hundreds of hours
    you need to invest a lot of time in skyrim to get the best from it.
    you get a hell of a lot of game for your money.
  39. Jan 19, 2012
    Simply put, Skyrim is fun. There is a lot to do and a lot to explore. Eventually the quests get boring (with a few bursts of excitement I suppose) and you lose interest, mainly because of how long the game is. I found myself eventually just wanting to roam the world trying to find caves or treasures, ignoring all the quests.
    Skyrim is a pretty place. Very detailed and huge. With scary
    Skyrim is a pretty place. Very detailed and huge. With scary creatures and boring people in it.
  40. Jan 20, 2012
    A fun game with lots of things to do. However, the world doesn't feel very immersive mainly due to the ai. People you just spoke with will forget you in an instant and tell you something generic, such as they took an arrow to the knee or that you shouldn't steal from them. Combat is dull and ultimately depends on the number of health potions you've brought or the level of your stats. FastA fun game with lots of things to do. However, the world doesn't feel very immersive mainly due to the ai. People you just spoke with will forget you in an instant and tell you something generic, such as they took an arrow to the knee or that you shouldn't steal from them. Combat is dull and ultimately depends on the number of health potions you've brought or the level of your stats. Fast travel removes the excitement of exploration, but traveling is ineffective if you don't use it. Dispite having the choice of compainions, the world feels really lonely and there isn't really any characters with a lot of personality (especially guards). It still gets a 8 out of 10 because of the sheer amount of content. Expand
  41. Jan 21, 2012
    I find it hard to review this game. If I were to be legitimately honest and give my true opinions on this game I would upset a great many people that would see this. Do I hate this game? No, it is one of my top 5 games of 2011 but then again, there were only 7 or 8 games that i actually enjoyed of this year.

Probably the thing that pisses me off the most about this game is the way in

Probably the thing that pisses me off the most about this game is the way in which the story is told. The story is the same story we have seen in every RPG ever created, and if you really think about it. Itâ
  42. Jan 23, 2012
    Ok first thing to tell you is that I have finished this game, all the major quest lines and am starting my second play thru, this time as a mage, rather than melee shield combo. This is a very good game, with some pretty major irritants. Ok, what's good, the main quest lines are well done, the world is huge and looks pretty good (thanks to mods) it has that "just one more quest" feelingOk first thing to tell you is that I have finished this game, all the major quest lines and am starting my second play thru, this time as a mage, rather than melee shield combo. This is a very good game, with some pretty major irritants. Ok, what's good, the main quest lines are well done, the world is huge and looks pretty good (thanks to mods) it has that "just one more quest" feeling that will keep you up to 2am and mods add to it all the time, lightsabres? yes please. Ok, so what is not good, too many draughar, are those the only enemies? it seems like it too often. Too many bandits, I would have liked much more enemy variety. Loot, any stuff you find is generally only useful at low levels, even the Daedric artifacts and unique items are no good, you can craft better items yourself. You basically collect money to no good purpose as all I ever bought were crafting supplies. The townsfolk, bethesda seem to have hired 4 voice actors for the whole game, James Hetfield, another guy, a norwegian female and another woman, that's it. And they all spout the same line again and again "EVERYTHING'S for sale!" etc
    People don't look great but mods help this. I also HATED that they'd dumbed down the RPG element of the game by removing stats and streamlining skills. Anyway, I will probably play it thru again, so it must be good, but it could have been better!
  43. Jan 24, 2012
    Overall, it's your typical RPG. At first it's fun and exciting, but if you're not one to intently follow a story line, and just like to run around killing stuff and trying to level as fast as you can, than it's pointless to play this game really. The storyline, however, is fantastic, and the gameplay itself is really great.
  44. Jan 24, 2012
    I won't waste a lot of time repeating what's been said. I love open end games that take a lifetime to fully explore. However, one thing I absolutely despise are the "run around" quests in games that are basically there just to keep the player in the game so they can make claims that it takes x amount of hours to complete. Skyrim if full of these. Gets old real fast.
  45. Feb 5, 2012
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open-world WRPG with many weaknesses and only one real strength. The combat is uninspired and dissatisfying, the voice acting could use much more variety, the enemies could have been more diverse, and the main story could have had better presentation, but the one real strength about Skyrim is its longevity. The amount of quests in this game is enormous and theElder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open-world WRPG with many weaknesses and only one real strength. The combat is uninspired and dissatisfying, the voice acting could use much more variety, the enemies could have been more diverse, and the main story could have had better presentation, but the one real strength about Skyrim is its longevity. The amount of quests in this game is enormous and the world is massive. There is always something to do in Skyrim during and well past the main quest line. Exploring the entire world of Skyrim is a great feat of its own, and clearing every quest in the game should easily net the determined player well over 200 hours. If you can get past Skyrimâ Expand
  46. Feb 9, 2012
    After playing Skyrim and reading most reviews i found the scores were too high. Graphically its very good as is the control system. The storyline is very good with the element of choice having an effect on what happens next really makes the game play stand out. All great but its full of bugs like i have not seen in a while just looking at other sources for the game its apparent thatAfter playing Skyrim and reading most reviews i found the scores were too high. Graphically its very good as is the control system. The storyline is very good with the element of choice having an effect on what happens next really makes the game play stand out. All great but its full of bugs like i have not seen in a while just looking at other sources for the game its apparent that there are loads of them as well which is killing the game play. A good game that could have been the best ever but spoilt by bug issues which seem common but with no updates to sort out. Expand
  47. Feb 9, 2012
    I'm extremely dissapointed by the large number of people who feel the need to explain how they feel console ports kill "gaming in their reviews of this game based upon the UI alone. Yes its different. and yes it, as is, lends itself to the gamepad very well, but its not terrible, its just different. Yes the games is missing a few key components for a mouse and keyboard player (1-10 keysI'm extremely dissapointed by the large number of people who feel the need to explain how they feel console ports kill "gaming in their reviews of this game based upon the UI alone. Yes its different. and yes it, as is, lends itself to the gamepad very well, but its not terrible, its just different. Yes the games is missing a few key components for a mouse and keyboard player (1-10 keys Bethesda... c'mon) but nothing that would be considered a deal breaker. The graphics are not as people say less impressive than the HD texture pack for oblivion, it probably just seems like it to them because they can run oblivion on ultra and the sheer magnitude of shadows and moving plant-life in skyrim is probably more than teir pcs can handle. The main story line is decent, not spectacular (just like every other Elder Scrolls game), but the various in game guilds have excellent story lines to them, seeing as the two take up a similar amount of gameplay, i personally feel that this balances out. I bought the game release day and have never experienced a single crash (all settings maxed out) but i have had a few grapical bugs, usually involving entering towns, that were fixed upon reloading my previous save so yet again, i have a feeling that a lot of these negative reviews based upon graphics and crashes were people playing on inferior systems or with outdated drivers who tried to over-reach what settings they're capable of playing this game on. Expand
  48. Feb 9, 2012
    a beautiful and emmersive game, but crippling bugs and accidential ( yes, accidental) exploits make it infuriating. But once you can look over that, you find a game with beautiful scenery, innumerable ( but repetetive) quests, interesting enemies, npc's with varied personalities, and several items and enchantments. while I enjoyed a few of bethesda's other releases (ie- The Elder Scrollsa beautiful and emmersive game, but crippling bugs and accidential ( yes, accidental) exploits make it infuriating. But once you can look over that, you find a game with beautiful scenery, innumerable ( but repetetive) quests, interesting enemies, npc's with varied personalities, and several items and enchantments. while I enjoyed a few of bethesda's other releases (ie- The Elder Scrolls III- morrowind, and Fallout- New Vegas) more than skyrim, it's still enthralling and charming in it's own flashy, bloody way. Expand
  49. Feb 10, 2012
    A good game, with a few flaws that greatly diminish any replay value. Played a total 287 hours before i uninstalled though. Even one playthrough that hits all the major points is 60-80 hours easily, so well worth the money. First playthrough as a sneak archer finished. Second as a destro mage, quit at lvl 30 because it was beyond weak. Third 2h melee, almost completed, then just quitA good game, with a few flaws that greatly diminish any replay value. Played a total 287 hours before i uninstalled though. Even one playthrough that hits all the major points is 60-80 hours easily, so well worth the money. First playthrough as a sneak archer finished. Second as a destro mage, quit at lvl 30 because it was beyond weak. Third 2h melee, almost completed, then just quit out of boredom eventually. Once you've seen all the main quest stories once and have gotten a character to a point where it is powerful and you have all your abilities that you will ever really use, there is no point in continuing.

PROS: It's a great epic open world, and most of the main quest lines are actually pretty enjoyable (if not a bit predictable). Plenty of places to go, and really it's just fun to explore... at least at first. The world is very engrossing and entertaining despite any flaws. Personally i found the combat just fine, although others may disagree.
    CONS: The interface... the default interface and even with improved user mods is not great for pc. I didn't find it nearly as gamebreaking as some people, but there is an inherent disconnect between the keys and the mouse and which has priority on certain screens. The res of the textures isn't great and really requires a high res texture pack... after which it looks pretty great. Money has NO purpose after the very early game. On my first completion i had 300k in money and another 4-500k of stuff in my house. Following all the major quest lines doesn't really drive you to most of the minor cities. There are several i never visited even after doing all the major quest lines and finishing the main game quest. Eventually... all the tombs and ruins are just the same, gets a little tedious. Enchanting makes you an instant god once you get to 100... as does playing a sneak archer at all. If you max enchanting and blacksmithing (which there is no reason not to) you make more money than you can spend, you can buy all alchemy mats every time you are in town, and your gear will be better than anything you will ever find. Basically you can become a god at level 30 without having even left whiterun really. It makes no sense. The one exception being destruction mage which is completely broken, because at level 30 with max destruction, you can't even kill a bear without dipping into other trees and it still takes way too long. Destruction has no +damage enchants, so the damage scales incredibly poorly... in that it doesn't scale at all except for the perks in the tree which do not buff it enough. Dwarven ruins... all of them, are way too long and all look the same.
  50. Feb 11, 2012
    My first Elder Scrolls, this game may have some bugs, but the world is vast, of course there's gonna be bugs. This game has many things you can do kill dragons,rob houses and other things you wouldn't do IRL. My main problem is the UI, if there making a new Elder Scrolls which is very likely they should change the ui
  51. Feb 11, 2012
    First 50 hours or so are very good but then this game flatlines very badly and becomes quite a deflating experience. Take the smithing skill for instance, great fun at first but then, along with enchanting and alchemy, it becomes part of a game-breaking triumvirate and after say level 30, the only way anyone should die is by falling off a cliff in a snowstorm.. Not long after this you'veFirst 50 hours or so are very good but then this game flatlines very badly and becomes quite a deflating experience. Take the smithing skill for instance, great fun at first but then, along with enchanting and alchemy, it becomes part of a game-breaking triumvirate and after say level 30, the only way anyone should die is by falling off a cliff in a snowstorm.. Not long after this you've probably had your fill of the 'radiant quests' (stupid name for a srupid concept) and you are almost certainly tearing your hair out after being told to clear out Fort Respawn for the 3rd time. Then comes the problem of where to put all those unused perks - hmmm do I really need a running power attack when a standing one takes care of most enemies? Do I really need prices to be lower when I've got 80,000 gold and no useful way of getting rid of it? Why the hell would I need poisons? Why should I put any perks in blocking at all? The basic shield bash seems overpowered as it is. Persuasion attempts are 30% easier? You mean you can fail them? I have several items that do what the perks do anyway. I finished the whole thieves guild line of quests without putting any perks in sneaking, lockpicking, pickpocket or speech and only lockpicking and speech got out of the 20s. I didn't even bother to try out half of the shouts some of which can only be described politely as stupidly redundant. I'll give it an 8 (barely) because it was quite engrossing for a decent amount of time. But in no way is this an overall improvement on Oblivion and I can't really see what they can do next with this series. I had much more fun playing The Dragon Knight Saga. People who give this 10 should really try to use different parts of their brain for once. Expand
  52. Feb 14, 2012
    If you loved Oblivion you will love this game. It is what I expected when I heard about it being developed. With the recent release of the creation kit it can only get better, as it did with Oblivion. This game offers many unique paths you can take and many different ways down those paths. As with Bethesda tradition there are a variety of game-breaking exploits via tradeskills and were aIf you loved Oblivion you will love this game. It is what I expected when I heard about it being developed. With the recent release of the creation kit it can only get better, as it did with Oblivion. This game offers many unique paths you can take and many different ways down those paths. As with Bethesda tradition there are a variety of game-breaking exploits via tradeskills and were a lot of bugs upon release. The console commands could help you bypass the bugs to continue on your way but should that really be the way around them? Exploring off the trail is very rewarding and very exciting, quests are actually meaningful and generally not the usual "collect 10 wolf flanks," "kill 5 mudcrabs," or "pick up my dry cleaning and get me some coffee" that RPG's seem to love these days. There are many ways to improve this game, and they gave us the tools to do it as well. Any open-world RPG fan would be nuts to pass this over. Expand
  53. Feb 17, 2012
    part of me hates the game now but after 300 hours i guess i would be getting bored of almost anything!some great missions,especially with the side quests,main story is pretty bland but never really been an elder scrolls strong point anyway,it is very easy unfortunately which is why i am deducting 2 points,i have had to restart several times-all because once you've levelled up a bit it'spart of me hates the game now but after 300 hours i guess i would be getting bored of almost anything!some great missions,especially with the side quests,main story is pretty bland but never really been an elder scrolls strong point anyway,it is very easy unfortunately which is why i am deducting 2 points,i have had to restart several times-all because once you've levelled up a bit it's far too easy.even on master difficulty i found around level 30(you can level to 81)you are fairly invincible,apart from against mages for some reason.all in all a great game let down by lack of difficulty Expand
  54. Feb 28, 2012
    It's inevitable that this game undergoes scrutiny and praise in equal order. Skyrim is a world simulator first, and an action game seventh. I personally feel the melee combat is atrocious. Simply unacceptable for such a sub-par combat system that will carry you 60-100 hours potentially. My play through instead had me shooting arrows and blasting npc enemies with lightning, and the combatIt's inevitable that this game undergoes scrutiny and praise in equal order. Skyrim is a world simulator first, and an action game seventh. I personally feel the melee combat is atrocious. Simply unacceptable for such a sub-par combat system that will carry you 60-100 hours potentially. My play through instead had me shooting arrows and blasting npc enemies with lightning, and the combat in this way holds up very well. Limited, but enjoyable is how I would describe the encounters. Far, far improved beyond Oblivion, for sure. Another knock against this game- the amount of reused content in the environments. Especially concerning the Drauger ruins. Be prepared for identical looking dungeons...all that being said, this game will suck you in, and is a great improvement on Bethesda's previous products. Next from them, I want a focused 10 hour game. Expand
  55. Mar 4, 2012
    Bethesda has done an incredible job at recreating the elder scrolls, the Havok game engine creates the huge and extraordinary world of which is Skyrim. The endless Items and beautiful graphics and textures gives the game an extraordinary feel. Improvements to the game could be an MMO on the PC version and patches on some glitches within the game. Overall a Great story line and plenty ofBethesda has done an incredible job at recreating the elder scrolls, the Havok game engine creates the huge and extraordinary world of which is Skyrim. The endless Items and beautiful graphics and textures gives the game an extraordinary feel. Improvements to the game could be an MMO on the PC version and patches on some glitches within the game. Overall a Great story line and plenty of creatures to battle. I'm happy to see that the developers have kept the same game play as the Fallout series, yet tweaked it a little to fit the medieval theme... I hope the developers make a sequel to this brilliant series. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    TESV: Skyrim, at launch was a pretty shaky game with Bethesda bugs some players were unable to play the game for some part, however with the constant patching since then the game has stabilized and has become an actual enjoyable game. and with the release of the creation kit last month the PC has set its master race position in stone, by adding longevity to an already long game making it aTESV: Skyrim, at launch was a pretty shaky game with Bethesda bugs some players were unable to play the game for some part, however with the constant patching since then the game has stabilized and has become an actual enjoyable game. and with the release of the creation kit last month the PC has set its master race position in stone, by adding longevity to an already long game making it a must have if not for the vanilla game but for the modded game itself Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    Great game despite some pretty obvious flaws, plenty of bugs and the fact that I had to mod the graphics from the start to make it look halfway decent. Main quest is too short as always from Bethesda but it does deliver while leaving ample room to continue the story. Some of the side-chain quests are just plain awesome. Inventory system is... well let's be honest it's crap, most of theGreat game despite some pretty obvious flaws, plenty of bugs and the fact that I had to mod the graphics from the start to make it look halfway decent. Main quest is too short as always from Bethesda but it does deliver while leaving ample room to continue the story. Some of the side-chain quests are just plain awesome. Inventory system is... well let's be honest it's crap, most of the screen real estate is wasted in favor of a HUGE picture of whatever you're looking at, while the menus are squeezed in at the sides. However despite the flaws previously mentioned I would still definitely recommend this game. It would get a 10 from me if the main quest was much longer, the inventory system was sorted and the graphics/textures were improved. Expand
  58. Mar 7, 2012
    This game,is definitely one of the most invested games that I ever played at!
    The biggest virtues of the game is his game play,and the size of the game world.
    The game play of the game is special,it isn't something that I saw in any other RPG game,and this what that makes him to turn to larger audience. You can play the game from first person or from third person,for the convenience of
    This game,is definitely one of the most invested games that I ever played at!
    You can play the game from first person or from third person,for the convenience of the player.
    There are three main classes-mage,warrior and thief-but differently from other games,you don't pick the class at the beginning of the game,but choose the right combination of skills to create the desirable character.
    One of the benefits of this system is that you can create a very powerful combination between classes like warrior-mage or thief-warrior.
    As mage you can choose different magic each hand,or the same magic in each hand,and use them as one combined stronger magic,or as warrior or thief you can use two daggers or small swords and use power hit to swing them both very fast and hit the enemy very hard.
    Skyrim graphics aren't to much impressive for today,however the graphical engine of the game is much better then the previous game,and the game makes up for it in the awsome game play and the enormous map.
    The AI in the game is something that disgracing the game.
    In most of the time when you don't want to be discovered,you just crouch and no one see you even if he looks right at you.
    Now we got to the game biggest disadvantage,the abnormal amount of bugs.
    There are so much bugs,that sometimes you can't keep playing the game until you solve the problem with other patches and updates,Bethesda,why do you so harry to release the game before you checks that there are no problems like that in the game?
    today there are a lot of updates that solve most of the bugs but still the game isn't clean of bugs.
    I believe that the people that read this already know the story,yet I will tell the story shortly.
    Your figure caught while he tried to enter to the kingdom of skyrim.
    Whe soldiers of the imperials trying to execute you,a huge,black dragon called alduin destroys the city and you success run away,and from there the story keeps going on,there is a giant riot in all of the big cities in skyrim because of the return of the dragons,it appears that you are the dragonborn,a man with blood and soul of the dragon,and the only one who can destroy alduin the son of the first dragon,that brings to life the dragons.
    The main story is so not reliable,you are the hero that supposed to save the world,and instead be treated like god or even king,you treated like a simple citizen and even less.
    the story of the game had such a large potential to be the best story of the year,and Bethesda missed it.
    In summery,this is the best RPG game that ever made,but with some more investment it could be the best-selling game!
  59. Mar 7, 2012
    Buggy, laggy, clunky, consolized, and Fantastic. Skyrim is not so much an RPG as it is an "Adventure Simulator." that being said, it's launch was marred by bugs and clunky UI screens are a pain in the ass to navigate with a keyboard and mouse, as well as muddy textures and sometimes buggy lighting. luckily the player base has picked up where the devs have slacked, with UI mods, textureBuggy, laggy, clunky, consolized, and Fantastic. Skyrim is not so much an RPG as it is an "Adventure Simulator." that being said, it's launch was marred by bugs and clunky UI screens are a pain in the ass to navigate with a keyboard and mouse, as well as muddy textures and sometimes buggy lighting. luckily the player base has picked up where the devs have slacked, with UI mods, texture packs, model packs, and all you could ever hope for. this is why you buy Bethesda games on the PC, because while this game is about a 5/10 by itself, with all the mods at your fingertips, it is easily worthy of an 8. Expand
  60. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think when talking about Skyrim we need to temper expectations with the reality of the gaming industry today. Gone are the days where the ACTUAL goal of the industry was to make really good games. The purpose now is to make money, so if we happen to get a really great game along the way, we should take the opportunity with both hands and let the industry know that's what we like. I think we've missed an opportunity with Skyrim, but at the other end of the spectrum. Nowhere near enough effort was put into the PC version (if the choice were up to me, I'd shaft the console versions completely and develop future TES games SOLELY for PC), as is shown by the terrible menus. The SkyUI mod looks much better and as soon as I finish this review I'm installing it myself. The menus on the PC version wreak of console and as a PC gamer I am offended by the utter contempt shown towards me in the way the menu system was essentially ignored.

The combat mechanisms I can't really compare to any other TES because Skyrim is the first TES game I've played. What I can say is that if every blow dealt to, and by, the character was felt and had proper impacts then combat would just be annoying because as soon as you get hit, that's another second or two you're staggered and against more than one opponent it would simply infuriate most gamers, I suspect. As for people saying it's boring and bland...unless you want turn based strategic combat I think hack-and-slash is the best you're ever going to get.

The tech tree are a bit of a worry as well because there are some I would simply never use. The alchemy tree, for instance, has been utterly useless to me. As has the Speech tree. On the magic side of things I've only used the Destruction and Restoration trees, but the other magic trees (Conjuration and Illusion) aren't in my sphere of playing interest so I can't comment on them. But destruction is well fun and blowing stuff up with Fireball or wiping out waves of Skeletons with Ice Storm is rather enjoyable. But Pickpocket and Lockpicking just seem like a waste of time in terms of spending perks on them when lockpicking only requires patience and pickpocketing only has to be done ONCE as a mandatory part of any quest in the whole game (as far as I know). The combat-based trees are pretty good I think and most of the perks are quite useful (not triggering pressure plates is a godsend in long dungeon crawls). Smithing and Enchanting, however are a problem. They are by far the most boring and costly to level up because of the sheer amount of raw materials needed to get your smithing to a high level. And enchanting items even purely as a means of increasing your enchanting level is time consuming and tedious. They should've been rescaled to allow much faster leveling than what is currently in place.

The HUD (above and beyond the menu system) feels sluggish and slightly unresponsive to mouse movements ESPECIALLY in the menus and the world map. At times you can be just as prone to selecting the wrong fast travel destination as to selling the wrong weapon and finding yourself without your prized legendary-level Daedric bow.

The difficulty levels in Skyrim seem to matter less and less as your character's strength increases. Currently as I play through on Adept difficulty, I might as well be playing on easiest for all the difficulty Trolls and Dragons are in the face of my Destruction magic but in earlier levels it does make a real difference in terms of whether you land that extra, and final, blow or whether you yourself get taken down by a finishing blow.

As for the quests, I personally thoroughly enjoyed the main questline. I thought it was original, interesting, engaging and exciting, especially in some of the ruins. The main side-quests are also pretty good and were (and are) a lot of fun for me. The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild both return and equivalents of the Fighters' and Mages' Guilds also feature extended questlines. The complaints about most quests being "go here and kill this thing" or "go there and retrieve that thing" are unreasonable simply because it's not feasible to make a game where every side quest has a fleshed out plotline to it, especially in a game the size and scope of Skyrim. As for the lack of puzzles, I must admit that even I, a supreme fail at puzzle solving found so few puzzles to solve in this game that I was a little disappointed. Not only that, but all the puzzles were of the same type (more or less). On the topic of quests being linear, what else can they be? If they were totally open slather, giving free reign to players on finishing in whatever way they wanted, how would the game handle all the possible variables? I think linear dungeons is the ONLY way to make the game work.
  61. Mar 11, 2012
    Skyrim is a great game, one of the best RPG games out there. Unfortunately it obviously has it flaws. If I wrote this review before 'finishing' (maybe ~50 hours in) I would have given it a 9 or a 10. But so many flaws come into mind. Many quests are bugged. You have to google the issue and find out something is bugged and correct it manually with console commands (if possible). Just one ofSkyrim is a great game, one of the best RPG games out there. Unfortunately it obviously has it flaws. If I wrote this review before 'finishing' (maybe ~50 hours in) I would have given it a 9 or a 10. But so many flaws come into mind. Many quests are bugged. You have to google the issue and find out something is bugged and correct it manually with console commands (if possible). Just one of dozens of examples is when the quest contains reading a certain journal/book but you found it much earlier it will bug out and make you unable to ever finish the questline unless you do your own research and try to manually fix it with console commands. This has happened WAY TOO OFTEN. The other MAJOR flaw are the boring quests. There are some really nice and interesting quests out there who tell a beatuiful story and it is really fun doing the quests, but far too many quests are simply like this: 'I lost my sword/flute/whatever, go to the dungeon, kill all enemies, at the end there is a chest with my lost item in it, return it to me'. Far too many of those. No story, nothing. Uber boring and so many of these quests. At the end of the game around level 50 I just quit because 99% of the quests seem to be these boring catch quests without story. Overall still a good game with awesome graphics, some great stories. The mainquest is a huge letdown also. The endboss is too easy and the "mainstory" ends abrupt with no rewards. I finished ~110 hours in. The first 50-80 hours were awesome. Then was the time when only boring quests were left. Still recommend buying, but don't expect a flawless game as it is certainly not. Also some other major bugs with followers and equipments or leveling ruined a lot for me if it wasn't for manually googling fixes and console commands. 8/10 Expand
  62. Mar 12, 2012
    love the new interface, love the streamlined perks system, love the graphics, even love the combat mechanics, what i hate though is the plot, it doesnt feel focused enough, and all the sidequests are rather boring. also i wish you could form deep relationships in the game like in Dragon age origins, make u sorta feel more attached to the wonderfully huge and impressive world. overalllove the new interface, love the streamlined perks system, love the graphics, even love the combat mechanics, what i hate though is the plot, it doesnt feel focused enough, and all the sidequests are rather boring. also i wish you could form deep relationships in the game like in Dragon age origins, make u sorta feel more attached to the wonderfully huge and impressive world. overall though i loved it, got a good solid 30 hours out of it before boredom kicked in. Expand
  63. Mar 15, 2012
    After finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed byAfter finishing most of the main story-lines, I quickly started to lose interest in the game as by that time there was no longer a goal to aspire to and the mechanics of Skyrim's open world were rather ill concealed. Feeling mildly disappointed, I then discovered that I had already played the game for a good 90 hours and quickly revised my opinion: it'd be rather odd to be disappointed by 90 hours of fun for a â Expand
  64. Mar 27, 2012
    After Morrowind and Oblivion, this game manages to solve most of the weaknesses encountered in the previous Elder Scrolls installments. None-the-less, its whopping success is, for the greatest part, due to the winning comparison with the past two games of the series. The main quest, along with the well-designed guild quests, finally gives the player a good reason to play through the gameAfter Morrowind and Oblivion, this game manages to solve most of the weaknesses encountered in the previous Elder Scrolls installments. None-the-less, its whopping success is, for the greatest part, due to the winning comparison with the past two games of the series. The main quest, along with the well-designed guild quests, finally gives the player a good reason to play through the game in its entirety. The graphics, although very good on their own, are clearly a major overhaul of Oblivion's graphic engine, while the game's world is literally filled with beauty and ancient Norse lore, as it offers magnificent landscapes and a nice blend of towns, fortresses, burial sites and, for the first time, well-characterized dungeons scattered throughout Skyrim. The music score fits in well, while the general voiceover is not really something that will be remembered, even though with some exceptions. Besides, the attention shall now be paid to the cons of Skyrim. In the long run, most of the radiant quests encountered in the game turn out to be relatively shallow and menial, having your character (as for guild quests) become the chief of all of them after a bare set of three or four tasks. The feeling you'll have is that of a wondrous world partly filled with tacky quests and with a barren replayability factor; in addition, the perks are mostly useless, being a blatant old fashioned rpg facade with no real impact on the gameplay. In spite of these major quirks, however, the game works quite well, provided you are into the realm of fantasy lore. Had this game come out some two or three years earlier, it would have surely gotten an higher mark for my part. Expand
  65. Mar 29, 2012
    I have never played an RPG before this game. The concept put me off. However, this game has provided me with an immersive world that is beautifully created. The quests are diverse and fun at the same time, and the mods available on the Steam workshop create a fully customisable game that I have taken full advantage of. The only downside is sometimes I may get a little bored and frustratedI have never played an RPG before this game. The concept put me off. However, this game has provided me with an immersive world that is beautifully created. The quests are diverse and fun at the same time, and the mods available on the Steam workshop create a fully customisable game that I have taken full advantage of. The only downside is sometimes I may get a little bored and frustrated with some of the NPC's predictable quests, and there are a lot of bugs (although that's to be expected for such a huge world.) I'm giving this an eight because it is not the perfect game, but it is a well deserved eight at that. Expand
  66. Apr 26, 2012
    After i got this overhyped game, i had very high expectations. For me the graphics were very good, i was hoping the character i play to talk aswell and more choses in dialog´s. Story wise the game was letdown. General idea was awesome, but it took too long to get the general idea what is going on and side missions (Factions) gave cryptic ideals about their goals and how youAfter i got this overhyped game, i had very high expectations. For me the graphics were very good, i was hoping the character i play to talk aswell and more choses in dialog´s. Story wise the game was letdown. General idea was awesome, but it took too long to get the general idea what is going on and side missions (Factions) gave cryptic ideals about their goals and how you fit in em. Exploring the world and quick travels did make it simple, but you had feeling you are part of something huge. Sadly the main storyline was over pretty quickly and i lost interest doing side mission that led nowhere. Dragon fights were funny for a while, but then you are stuck just hoping the thing lands so you can keep going somewhere. Overall good game with awesome graphics (My standards). Expand
  67. May 2, 2012
    this game better ten oblivios, obvisios..

But a little mit more authentic woud be nice.
    More diffenrense in quests, not that big much walking into a dungeon and bring me item X...

Graphic is nice, in far mods make the game much better..
  68. May 6, 2012
    A game that I really love even now.
    The graphics are great, there are more voice actors now and the animations are finally livelier and better.
    Some areas in the game fall flat for FPS drops and the AI can be extremely stupid sometimes. But it falls flat to the amazing customization and exploration in this game. Buy it and play it. You won't regret it (unless your PC is made out of plasteline).
  69. May 7, 2012
    You can say Skyrim's biggest advantage is also it's biggest flaw. I love sandbox games, and although I never really was a big fan of the Elder scrolls series I thought the freedom was certainly entertaining. But Oblivion was flawed on so many levels that I simply can't compare it to Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim is a much better game on every single way. Weapons and armor disintegration is gone andYou can say Skyrim's biggest advantage is also it's biggest flaw. I love sandbox games, and although I never really was a big fan of the Elder scrolls series I thought the freedom was certainly entertaining. But Oblivion was flawed on so many levels that I simply can't compare it to Skyrim. Yes, Skyrim is a much better game on every single way. Weapons and armor disintegration is gone and the dungeons are much more varied and interesting. Instead of repetative Oblivion gates you now have dragon fights but more importantly',the game looks and feels much better then it's laggy, buggy predecessor. The game has a ton of quests and will last for months,But here is the big problem: the game never has true high points. It's addicting, I'l give it that, but it doesn't have deep characters nor does it have an interesting story. It relies on it's endless replay value and sacrifices quality. It lacks focus and, as such, it was never memorable for me. Despite this, the game is fun and entertaining. The combat is excellent and the quests can be really grand and fun. The politics in Skyrim are actualy interesting and somehow held my interest of the story. The game is great, but it lacks focus, and Bethesda released it so buggy (let's not forget the broken PS3 version) that it's really a mixed bag here. People rave and praise it, and I can understand where the love is coming from, but it has it's flaws that shouldn't be passed by. Expand
  70. May 22, 2012
    It's easy to see why the boys at EA decided to hold back the release of ME3 so as to not have to compete with this game; it's everything good about the previous Elder Scrolls emphasized, with just a touch of what they learned from doing the Fallout franchise. if you liked either games by Bethesda, you'll like this. The sad part is, it doesn't really bring much NEW to the series if you'veIt's easy to see why the boys at EA decided to hold back the release of ME3 so as to not have to compete with this game; it's everything good about the previous Elder Scrolls emphasized, with just a touch of what they learned from doing the Fallout franchise. if you liked either games by Bethesda, you'll like this. The sad part is, it doesn't really bring much NEW to the series if you've played them before... but still has just enough freshness that while you may not jump up and down with joy, you'll get satisfaction. You don't fix what isn't broke, after all (or bugs, when you're Bethesda, and the game has ALL the usual bugs in that regard- if you've been a fan of the series you know what they are and you expect them anyway). As usual, it also comes with a MASSIVE modding community, made so easy and simple by Steam integration that anyone can do it; so if there's something more you want, you have a lot to fall back on. It'd be a ten, but the game is NOT without its problems (as said, the usual Bethesda bugs, the fact that it CAN feel rehashed and old at times, and can definitely have a 'grinding' feel to it). The difficulty is alright- especially for someone new to the series, though not so much for one used to the old quirks- and it excels on a technical level. Outstanding graphics, beautiful music (the soundtrack is the best in a long time), smooth gameplay and an easy to understand while still fairly vast system of upgrades. Not a perfect game, but one of the best to come out in a long time and thus far better then anything other companies have put out this year (2012) or even the last. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2012
    I can only give 8 to this game because it has so many bugs; i played it on pc. The main story is too short, i hope it could be longer. The faction quests are very interesting; i had a lot of fun during Dark Brotherhood quests. After i discover most of the dungeon and finished most of the quests, i do not know what i can do to get to highest level for both character level and skill level.I can only give 8 to this game because it has so many bugs; i played it on pc. The main story is too short, i hope it could be longer. The faction quests are very interesting; i had a lot of fun during Dark Brotherhood quests. After i discover most of the dungeon and finished most of the quests, i do not know what i can do to get to highest level for both character level and skill level. Maybe they do not want people to get all skills to lv100 on the a single character. Dual-cast destruction magic is too convinient, it breaks any enemies' attack. lol Expand
  72. Jul 18, 2012
    For all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrallFor all the breathtaking aesthetic beauty of Bethesda games, I feel they could really take a lesson from Bioware in storytelling and making people come to life. I say this as a huge fan of Bethesda, with Fallout 3 and Morrowind being some of my favourite games of all time. But in games like Knights of the old republic, mass effect, neverwinter nights, Bioware do so much more to enthrall you with a storyline, to develop relationships and make you care. The main problem for me in Skyrim is this storyline. Dragons! 15 year old boys may find the idea of battling dragons awesome, but Bethesda can do so much more than this. There's a fine line between generic fantasy games and the more impressive and stylized ones, and I worry that by importing the fantastic trope that is dragons into your game you really only de-value your own concept. Hoist by one's own Petard, as they say. Couple of other things: dungeons. In Oblivion and Morrowind there was variety in what you could find within. In skyrim, you always know it's going to be a sh*t load of Draugr, and if you're bloody lucky, a couple of frostbite spiders. Where did that variety go!? Quests: There are some really fantastic ones, but at times I feel there's a lack of invention. The go get me this item approach to quests only carries you so far. Bethesda needs to innovate rather than play it safe. Combat: Mods are a must for this, but only available to pc users. I really can't see that the combat has improved since oblivion, just evolved in a parallel direction. Still no inbuilt parry system or anything, a shame. But I'm saying these things as someone who loves the elder scrolls, and believes in it. Beautiful game, with loving attention given to its 'Nordic' Lore. What I'm trying to say though is that Bethesda has set its sights on making the ultimate 'immersive' experience; a game where you can do anything, go anywhere, be anyone. But for that to have been truly realised, more attention would have been needed to the depth of the 'being', the 'doing' and so forth. Just because I can go anywhere and do anything, does not mean I will want to if there's inadequate depth to those in-game acts. For me, the answer is making us care more about characters, relationships, be more shocked and gripped by plot. Skyrim calls out for this if only to do justice to the huge effort put into crafting its glorious world. Expand
  73. Jul 25, 2012
    I look forward to the day when Bethesda releases, from any of it's studios, maybe I should group Zenimax with that too, a crash free game. So many games exist out there that run smoothly, without any issues. When Skyrim first came out, it would crash every few hours. I think they have that mostly fixed, but many people still report crashes. So, something with the framework isn'tI look forward to the day when Bethesda releases, from any of it's studios, maybe I should group Zenimax with that too, a crash free game. So many games exist out there that run smoothly, without any issues. When Skyrim first came out, it would crash every few hours. I think they have that mostly fixed, but many people still report crashes. So, something with the framework isn't stable. So, I don't give it a 9 or better because of the crashes. But, it is a fun game, and I don't have many issues with it now. The experience with this doesn't leave me going, "OMG! I must have more!" so the upcoming add-ons don't carry much force for me. Get those framework issues fixed, then release a nice solid game. This has a great replay value as long as it stays running for you. Expand
  74. Aug 5, 2012
    Very good game. Massive in size and content. Visually amazing in parts.

Lacks depth. Lack of connection to enviroment and its people. Completing tasks has no real impact on the lanscape and its contents.

Close but falls short of being a great game.
  75. Aug 6, 2012
    4/5 (Good, but the potential is there to got to an easy 5) For some reason, Skyrim does everything better than its predecessors. For some other reason, I have played ridiculous amounts of it. BUT: I don't feel as attached to this game as I was with Oblivion. In Skyrim, I have not felt the need to play another character beyond the first. Maybe it's just me because it really looks like it's4/5 (Good, but the potential is there to got to an easy 5) For some reason, Skyrim does everything better than its predecessors. For some other reason, I have played ridiculous amounts of it. BUT: I don't feel as attached to this game as I was with Oblivion. In Skyrim, I have not felt the need to play another character beyond the first. Maybe it's just me because it really looks like it's got everything it needs.

Try it, it's good.
  76. Aug 9, 2012
    This is a great example of a AAA game living up mostly to its potential. This is a very immersive RPG, and has a fantastic storyline. Everyone should be familiar with Bethesda's style of games by now, and this one doesn't stray to far away from the style of previous games made by them. One thing that has changed is the lack of bugs. (at least on PC) People can complain about graphics ifThis is a great example of a AAA game living up mostly to its potential. This is a very immersive RPG, and has a fantastic storyline. Everyone should be familiar with Bethesda's style of games by now, and this one doesn't stray to far away from the style of previous games made by them. One thing that has changed is the lack of bugs. (at least on PC) People can complain about graphics if they want (if you have a multi-thousand dollar rig then you may exceed the maximum performance needed for max settings, but i think it looks pretty at console settings). This game is surprisingly bug-less. Granted, there still are the minor glitches here and there, but i never came across any game-breaking bugs in my 55 hours with it. I would recommend this game to everyone who wants a great RPG experience without the need for grinding and a great story. Expand
  77. Sep 21, 2012
    This game is pretty decent, although the user interface and the leveling system were **** **** there are mods like SKY UI to fix that.
    The story in my opinion was incredible, if not a bit short. It ran well with few bugs and no crashes on my PC but the in my opinion you couldn't really play it more than twice.
    I really honestly cannot understand why all you Morrowind and Oblivion fans
    I really honestly cannot understand why all you Morrowind and Oblivion fans are so butt hurt about this game. Just give it a decent chance and then maybe you'll understand..
  78. Sep 28, 2012
    not the perfect rpg, but one of the best for sure! of course the game being a bethesda game results in massive bugs, lags and glitches. if you look over that its an awesome game! the combat system is almost perfect, the story line in the first total 50 hours of gameplay are amazing, but after that you see that the rest of the game, the last 50% of it, were almost the same as the firstnot the perfect rpg, but one of the best for sure! of course the game being a bethesda game results in massive bugs, lags and glitches. if you look over that its an awesome game! the combat system is almost perfect, the story line in the first total 50 hours of gameplay are amazing, but after that you see that the rest of the game, the last 50% of it, were almost the same as the first half. i loved it, even that i'm a fallout fanboy, lol. Expand
  79. Oct 26, 2012
    While the game isn't perfect, and suffers from occasional bugs and a poor vanilla interface, the great thing about the PC version is it's openness to modding. A lot of the complaints in these reviews are remedied by mods that are free to download and use. The open world is great and Skyrim fixes a lot of the ugly repetition and bland generic landscapes present in Oblivion. The open,While the game isn't perfect, and suffers from occasional bugs and a poor vanilla interface, the great thing about the PC version is it's openness to modding. A lot of the complaints in these reviews are remedied by mods that are free to download and use. The open world is great and Skyrim fixes a lot of the ugly repetition and bland generic landscapes present in Oblivion. The open, classless character system adds even more freedom, and increases re-playability: even if you know the storyline, it can be fun to play with entirely different skills and a different race as you did before. Expand
  80. Nov 13, 2012
    Was a great game for the 2-3 weeks I played it. Gets extremely repetitive if you pump to many hours into it, but playing it for the first time is very fun.
  81. Nov 15, 2012
    I feel split in two over Skyrim. On one hand, its a beautifully crafted game, with hours of content that dwarf even what was on the earlier Elder Scrolls games. Combat feels smooth, the graphics are top of the line. Out with the glitches and clunky character models that were Bethesda's unofficial trademarks. And honestly, no company makes open world RPG fantasy games like Bethesda. Fans ofI feel split in two over Skyrim. On one hand, its a beautifully crafted game, with hours of content that dwarf even what was on the earlier Elder Scrolls games. Combat feels smooth, the graphics are top of the line. Out with the glitches and clunky character models that were Bethesda's unofficial trademarks. And honestly, no company makes open world RPG fantasy games like Bethesda. Fans of the earlier games don't need convincing, the games are huge time sinks. But on the other hand...

Its almost a disservice to call the game streamlined, but just almost. First leveling. The leveling system from Oblivion has been cut in half; no more Strength, Endurance, Agility, and Willpower character stats. Only skills stats like Blocking, Destruction, and Sneak got to stay in. This has its plus and minuses. On the up side leveling is less of a hassle of trying to increase minor skills to up stats and all that hooplah. On the negative side, it strips away a huge part of character diversity, especially during early/mid game. To me the bigger offense is that all the races have essentially the same skills. No more jack of all trades Dark Elf, spell casting Breton, and warrior Orc. Of course, any race could be built anyway you wanted, but now race has been boiled down to an aesthetics choice. To gamers new to the series this is fine. To an Elder Scrolls veteran it means that this + no more stats simplifies the leveling system. Big time.

Of course simplified doesn't mean simple. The game is complex enough to entertain me and mods alleviate most of the problems. Mods also solve my biggest irk, which is how ridiculously easy the game is (even the hyped up dragons), but I shouldn't have had to use a mod. Well, this comment makes the game seem like a let down but its not. I'm giving it an 8 because it has highlights that overshadow its negatives. And honestly, I feel like a new gamers coming in to the series would see most of these negatives as a relief from how inaccessible previous titles were.
  82. Nov 15, 2012
    One of the best modern RPG's released recently. Interesting quests and a strong story make it a must have for any RPG fan. Only falls down in the general nerfing of the gameplay compared to previous Elder Scrolls to cater to a console/casual gamer crowd.
  83. Nov 29, 2012
    Well another game that really stroke my heart. I was able to spent like 200 hours exploring the huge world and still I am wondering how they was able to do it! So much space, so much quests, so much things to do and still it does not end! Well there are some quite damn bugs and other things but who cares. it is fun as a hell
  84. Dec 7, 2012
    From transitioning from One Era to another in the story (and for us, metaphorically), Skyrim does a great job of cleaning a lot of frustrations and putting every perspective that we love from RPG's: Dynamic Settings, Beautiful Enivornments, and Epic Combat. The Combat doesn't feel so static anymore, like as if your hitting a fence post with a nerf sword, first person combat can see you bobFrom transitioning from One Era to another in the story (and for us, metaphorically), Skyrim does a great job of cleaning a lot of frustrations and putting every perspective that we love from RPG's: Dynamic Settings, Beautiful Enivornments, and Epic Combat. The Combat doesn't feel so static anymore, like as if your hitting a fence post with a nerf sword, first person combat can see you bob up and down from running, sprinting, attacking, and blocking. The Status bars are also a plus as well, having them Symmetrically placed across the bottom of your screen, to minimalize HUD flogging when you want to get to the heart of this game: Environments. The Fog system in this game is by far the best I have ever seen from any game, that from looking at it it is almost pantomime to me. The Water system has improved a tad, but sometimes I tend to be swimming in invisible water due to glitches. Enchanting weapons is now a skill set, rather than those cores you'd retrieve from closing oblviion gates. Weaponry Combat is now divided between One-Handed and Two-Handed, rather than Maces and Swords, and while either one can be argued over which is better, I would prefer One-Handed. Although, trying to get re-acquainted with certain magic skill sets is a little trifling, considering that Mysticism no longer is a magic skill set and we are left with Illusion, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration and Conjuration. Mysticism's spells have been divided among each other skill set, which can make finding the particular spells difficult if you are not familiar with The Elder Scrolls. But most importantly, Skill Sets are a big improvement to this game. Leveling Up is now more diversified; if you leveled up just using Marksmanship, you can put a Perk into Enchanting if you feel like it, where in Oblivion it had you forced to increase skills based on what skill you used most. Also, Magicka, Stamina and Health also have their own perk points, where each time you can level up, you can add 10 points to either one. The Story, well, it has some strengths, but also weaknesses. IN terms of communication, Now all communication is in real-time, so when you communicate to one person, not everyone else will just freeze in place. Also, you won't have to stare at the NPC you are talking to face to face. In fact, you can actually move your first-person view while conversing, providing a more thematic and realistic ideal to communication. But to the story. Now, the Dragonborn Quest was epic, especially at the end when you finally face Alduin once and for all, but the other main quest, The Civil War Quest, was kind of shallow. Now, you can never win a civil war with one person, that never happens. Throughout the whole time you are doing this quest, you never actually feel any tension from your foe, either being the imperials or the stormcloaks. And when you do enter Enemy territory, you aren't even threatened from there. Even after thwarting Stormcloak Evasions, capturing cities and ransacking forts, all that the leaders ever do is just curse your name and talk passive-agressively towards you, not even once bothering to mention that In that case you'd be a High Profile Target for Assassination. I was glad to be done with it, considering that their idea of a civil war wasn't ideally the one I was hoping for. However, the other side quests are all interesting, and indeed, Every Dungeon, Crevice or area you find has their own story to tell. Books are still existant in this region, even some of the easter eggs from the earlier elder scrolls (the lusty argonian :P). It's even interesting to read books detailing events that happened during "The Oblivion Crisis", as they call it. The Relationships between each races is also very apparent, with circulating criticism's and racisms between lower class races (Argonian's, Khajiit, Dark Elves), and it allowed me to analyze the situation that was burgeoning all over Skyrim and possibly all of Tamriel. It allowed me to develop my character in a way that I thought I would never be able to do with games that would rather just kill first and ask questions later, I could actually have a character with real context and self-awareness of the problems that propel the lore forward. However, on a technical level, there are a lot of issues with this game that bother me. I can't see my oxygen level when going under water (although maybe this was for the tension), I can't see the weight limit for any companions (er, pack mules), before me, companions will constantly get in your way and act retarded, and most importantly, auto saving. While I originally embraced this idea of autosaving, I constantly get annoyed with trying to access my inventory while autosave saves when I don't need to and doesn't when I do need it to. Ultimately, this game shall be worth your money which I could say more for some of their DLC content. Expand
  85. Kyo
    Dec 17, 2012
    Skyrim is a great game and my first of the elder scrolls series, but to me I feel like it was hyped more then it needed to be. My friends told me to get it that it was amazing, fun and just dumb not to own it. So I got it, at first I was very impressed but as I continued I found myself getting bored; after running into a dungeon for the millionth time it just lost my interest. I would findSkyrim is a great game and my first of the elder scrolls series, but to me I feel like it was hyped more then it needed to be. My friends told me to get it that it was amazing, fun and just dumb not to own it. So I got it, at first I was very impressed but as I continued I found myself getting bored; after running into a dungeon for the millionth time it just lost my interest. I would find myself just sitting there saying "Ill just finish this dungeon and go to bed" after forcing myself to pick it back up.

Other then that that game is fun for the most part, the scenery and size of the world is amazing, the music is just beautiful and exciting, tons of quests, you can explore for hours and find new things and places it is worth the money.

The combat is kind of lack luster it feels very clunky and awkward most of the time like when you try to slash at someone it doesn't feel like you hit them, yet the kill cams are pretty amazing if not funny at times. To me Skyrim is a great game that was over hyped by fans. I went in expecting to have so much fun and an exciting experience, but got an average one instead much like a fantastic disappointment that was enjoyable. I know that sounds like I hated it, but I did enjoy it, it's just not my favorite game.
  86. Jan 4, 2013
    This review is for those who haven't played the previous series and simply want a great RPG to play. Skyrim delivers in most aspects of it - the main quest line is intuitive and fascinating, and thoroughly challenging, and you can detach yourself from it at any time to explore the rest of Skyrim or do side quests. The world of Skyrim itself is absolutely massive and extremely well createdThis review is for those who haven't played the previous series and simply want a great RPG to play. Skyrim delivers in most aspects of it - the main quest line is intuitive and fascinating, and thoroughly challenging, and you can detach yourself from it at any time to explore the rest of Skyrim or do side quests. The world of Skyrim itself is absolutely massive and extremely well created - what I especially admire is how no two details, no two trees, are replicated anywhere else in the world. It shows a genuine desire to please consumers on Bethesda's part. The orchestral music that makes up the soundtrack somehow fits both the medieval lifestyle and ambient open air, all at once, which enhances the feeling of open-ended gameplay. What I especially love about this game is that the PC version allows you to make use of the command prompt and mod allocation should the current style of gameplay not suit your needs. You can use it to manually raise difficulty, create unique quest lines, or add your own textures. It's also Bethesda's way of tackling bugs - if you can't complete a quest because of a bug then all it needs is the command prompt to fix the bug for you. Some might say it's lazy of Bethesda's testing team and doesn't openly tackle the needs of consumers, but I think this can please everybody in each way they wish to play. I do have a couple of gripes though - the only word to describe the combat system is boring! You can't target your swings or pull off special tactics, it's simply click, click, maybe hold down click if you're a warrior, hold down click while moving backwards if you're a mage, stand far away and hold click if you're a bowman. There is almost no variety in any of the monsters, with the possible exception of trolls (I did have to employ tactics to bring down one of those behemoths!) Also, there is quite an evident issue that if you spend too long on the side quests you can over-level, in which case the main quest becomes a cinch, so it really could have done with some level adjustment on the wildlife AI's part. But once everything is summed up and rolled into this title, I can conclude that it is very much worth getting. Be wary of the (small) chance of disappointment because you'll be splashing out quite a lot of money for it. Expand
  87. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is a treat to play for the most part. At least 40 hours of exciting and involving gameplay, a beautiful world, interesting characters, open-ended quests and much more. Sadly, with this comes plenty of glitches and bugs, some minor gameplay issues and an absolutely appauling finale. I have around 90 hours of play time and after recently returning to Skyrim with a new character IThis game is a treat to play for the most part. At least 40 hours of exciting and involving gameplay, a beautiful world, interesting characters, open-ended quests and much more. Sadly, with this comes plenty of glitches and bugs, some minor gameplay issues and an absolutely appauling finale. I have around 90 hours of play time and after recently returning to Skyrim with a new character I felt the game had lost all of its fun. I'm likely to stay away from this game from now on. Great play time for the money but not the 'greatest RPG ever' some people name it. Expand
  88. Jan 9, 2013
    Skyrim is fun. That's just an understatement. But, Skyrim is great graphics-wise and the gameplay is beautiful: scenery, combat, etc.. The thing I don't like about Skyrim is how short the storyline was. After I finished it, I was just doing some other "main quests". Honestly, a player can finish the game before level 30 if they focused mainly on combat and the main storyline. Me, I did aSkyrim is fun. That's just an understatement. But, Skyrim is great graphics-wise and the gameplay is beautiful: scenery, combat, etc.. The thing I don't like about Skyrim is how short the storyline was. After I finished it, I was just doing some other "main quests". Honestly, a player can finish the game before level 30 if they focused mainly on combat and the main storyline. Me, I did a lot of smithing and non-combat things. I especially love the lore about the Dwarves (Dwemer) and I like the Dwemer cities. But after a while, I just stopped playing. I have yet to do the Imperial/Stormcloak questline because I'm so torn between the two groups. Conclusion: Skyrim is fun, interactive and has many things to do. Expand
  89. Jan 13, 2013
    As is usually the case, those giving this game a 1 or a 2 are just hating and those giving it a 10 are ignoring some real issues. Overall I can surely recommend the game, it's fun. The main story line is entertaining as are a number of the other quests --- special mention to the Dark Brotherhood line and thieves guild, just for the sneaking around. However, there are still way too manyAs is usually the case, those giving this game a 1 or a 2 are just hating and those giving it a 10 are ignoring some real issues. Overall I can surely recommend the game, it's fun. The main story line is entertaining as are a number of the other quests --- special mention to the Dark Brotherhood line and thieves guild, just for the sneaking around. However, there are still way too many repetitive boring quests. Furthermore, the game is just too easy. After getting barely acclimated there was no real issue with just maxing out the difficulty and rarely finding yourself in danger of actually dying. The Dragons themselves, after the shock of fighting the first one, are way too weak. The crafting systems are completely broken --- Smithing, enchanting and alchemy are very easy to advance ... and once advanced, you're pretty much invincible.

I have to also agree with the criticism regarding many of the characters. For the most part they all seem oblivious to your character's great accomplishments. They mouth the same lines all throughout the game. It's a wonder more time and effort couldn't have been spent in adding lines and in having npc's recognize your character's level and major accomplishments. After a while you will notice the same actor doing the same voice for different nps's --- I mean the actor couldn't use another voice for the different npc's? That doesn't speak well for the actor's abilities, nor for Bethesda's attention to detail.

Still though, the graphics are definitely better than in prior TES and I'll still give the game an 8 overall for its scope and breath the FIRST time through. I can't say I'm game for another play through, as I'm not sure there's anything left to discover nor will different choices create different outcomes. Think I'll just sit and wait for the next DLC.
  90. Feb 16, 2013
    good overall game but your player is a nobody throughout game a thane of all holds but no gratitude for saving world twice if your dragon blood shouldn't you have a new emperor quest. Post civil war there is no moot to name high king, plot holes everywhere dlc not so good should have been in original skyrim except for dragonborn so dragonborn should be the first dlc.
  91. Mar 10, 2013
    This game just.... I am torn. Sometimes I think "Wow if my old pen and paper days of Dungeons and Dragons (I started playing that when Gary Gygax first started out with the Basic set...) could come to life this would be it!" and think it deserves a 10. Then "Damn this is buggy as all hell and to think I waited as long as I did and it still NOT FIXED!" and I want to give it a 5. TheThis game just.... I am torn. Sometimes I think "Wow if my old pen and paper days of Dungeons and Dragons (I started playing that when Gary Gygax first started out with the Basic set...) could come to life this would be it!" and think it deserves a 10. Then "Damn this is buggy as all hell and to think I waited as long as I did and it still NOT FIXED!" and I want to give it a 5. The visuals are stunning. The open world aspects are SO welcome as I love sandbox type of games. The immersion is great until you hit one of the numerous quest killing bugs. Perhaps the most central quest line, when you receive the greeting from the Grey Beards WILL NOT COMPLETE no matter how many times I try or do anything differently. I have watched goats floating in the air about 150 feet off the ground only to fall straight down and then start to roam around. But the voice acting good. The crafting is very fun. Re-playability, if you can tolerate the bugginess is high. I still find myself hopping into the game when I can because I do have fun with it. That is as long as I don't want to alt-tab from the game. When I come back in I get the double cursor bug with is WAY irritating. It is also SLOW to react at times and you can make the AI bug out pretty easily. With all of that said I can only give this an 8. Or should that be a 7. Or a 5. Oh no it should be a 10. And then there are the times when it turns into tedium... So 8 it is. Great potential, just not the best execution. Expand
  92. Mar 27, 2013
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great game. It's beautiful, content-rich, and addictive. Hundreds of hours I've poured into this juggernaut of an RPG, and I've loved every single minute of it. However, this game is not without its flaws. Voice acting lacks variation, the main quest is obscenely short, characters and factions lack development (especially the main villain), combat isThe Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great game. It's beautiful, content-rich, and addictive. Hundreds of hours I've poured into this juggernaut of an RPG, and I've loved every single minute of it. However, this game is not without its flaws. Voice acting lacks variation, the main quest is obscenely short, characters and factions lack development (especially the main villain), combat is shallow and repetitive, and by God, is this game glitchy. Nevertheless, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  93. Jan 29, 2015
    This is to override my previous impression of Skyrim, after I played it with mods. Community did improve the feature that made me angry - the battle system, making it much more fun and truelike. The rest of the game is very good.
  94. Apr 28, 2013
    I am happy that the TES has found a more mainstream acceptance. However, here I'll only be focusing on the parts i didn't like about skyrim, because all the rest has already been covered by others and also reflects in my score.

I don't understand, Did some writers resign from bethesda after oblivion? Skyrim doesn't have the same level of quests as Oblivion had. Most of the side missions and guild missions seemed generic to me. Dark Brotherhood used to be awesome (remember whodunnit from oblivion?) And it seems that the thieves guild has lost all honor. The addition of the civil war quests is a welcome but there is not much impact after you do them.

Despite all of this, skyrim is still a must buy. I just wished my character would have had a more substantial impact on the world
  95. May 1, 2013
    I'd give vanilla a 6 and modded skyrim a 9- hence why I leveled it out to an 8.

Vanilla Skyrim was a bit lacking in all categories. The stories (main, guilds, etc) were all shorter than I would have liked and expected, the environment was sparse (creatures/enemies etc), and the immersion wasn't up to par either (skyrim is supposed to be at war but there were no real military clashes).
    I'd give vanilla a 6 and modded skyrim a 9- hence why I leveled it out to an 8.

The TES modding community has always been stellar and skyrim was no different. All but a few of my major complaints were resolved by the mod community.

Skyrim is worth a playthrough once as a vanilla game but the mods make it a great experience.
  96. May 23, 2013
    I will keep this short and snappy. Most Immerse game that I have played in a while. The detail is to damn high. You want to keep in going back to the game, its just fantastic! This game is very easy to run at high resolution. Role playing does not feel very unique for some reason, even though you make your own decisions and armour to wear etc. Shouting and shooting fire or frost is soI will keep this short and snappy. Most Immerse game that I have played in a while. The detail is to damn high. You want to keep in going back to the game, its just fantastic! This game is very easy to run at high resolution. Role playing does not feel very unique for some reason, even though you make your own decisions and armour to wear etc. Shouting and shooting fire or frost is so DAMN AWESOME! Nice puzzles that you don't expect but never get boring or dull! Map size is large but not to large with parts of nothing in them(this happens alot in Just Cause 2). I really do think every time I play this the amount of work effort and awesomeness they put into such a amazing title!
    Also, I got the PC version of it purely for Steam Workshop!
  97. Jul 11, 2013
    positives: phenomenal graphics, huge open world with lots of cool side missions for PLENTY of gameplay, Beautiful scenery and landscape, well crafted dungeons and lots of skills to choose from, great sound plus freaking dragons !

negatives: Hearing a lot of the same voice actors, main story line wasn't that strong for an RPG (specially of this calibur), gameplay mechanics were outdated and worst they were unbalanced (magic didn't do enough damage endgame plus you died way to quick while with melee types you would become a god (my melee character had light armor duel wield and illusion magic mixed with insane blacksmithing and enchanting i would kill master dragonds on hardest difficulty in like 2 or 3 double sword strikes).
  98. Jul 22, 2013
    Skyrim is certainly a good game, but not perfect. The game has outstanding graphics and a strong lore, but some small glitches can block the player from continuing with the story.

Bethesda really did a good job in putting lots of small details into the game. But that only counts for some parts of the game. The first town the player enters is greatly detailed and the people living in this town, called Riverwood, react to their environment. But the further one goes into the wilderness of the province of Skyrim, the less detailed the town are.
    The environment however is outstandingly good. The environment is very varied and not a single spot in the game, looks like another. The environment contains fast plains and dense forests, small peaceful creeks and wilde rivers. And in this environment many creatures can be found. Also there are many flowers to pick and a lot of animals to hunt.

Skyrim also has good gameplay which does not bore, even after many hours of gameplay. There are many decisions the player can make, which impacts the outcome of a quest. But sometimes the player runs into a glitch which most of the time means that the player has to load an old save and start over. Luckily this is not very common and the game runs mostly without any glitches. The combat mechanics are not into depth and magic seems a little overpowered when the player levels up. The amount of followers a player can have is limited to one and this follower sometimes blocks the player's path. Nevertheless the gameplay is good because of its new features. Like dual wielding weapons, sprinting, better mounts and so on.

The community of Skyrim is a very big community and also should be granted some credits in this review. Many modders enhance the game to an even better experience. They improve the already good graphics, increase the amount of quests and stories and enhance the environment of Skyrim. The vanilla game really is boosted by the great mods available.

In short the game is a very nice production of Bethesda and a game in the series which every Elder Scrolls fan should have played.

+ Good graphics
    + Breathtaking scenery's
    + Great attention to detail
    + Great freedom
    + Big modding community
    +/- Mediocre Gameplay
    - Glitches in quests
  99. Jul 28, 2013
    One of the biggest RPGs ever made, Skyrim is just a huge world to explore. The lore and the atmosphere created by the world of Tamriel are simply fantastic. Graphics are between okay and very good. Only an 8 out of 10 for me due to lack of atmospheric and consistent storytelling (has never been a strength in the Elder Scrolls series), and due to the horrible console port for PC (theOne of the biggest RPGs ever made, Skyrim is just a huge world to explore. The lore and the atmosphere created by the world of Tamriel are simply fantastic. Graphics are between okay and very good. Only an 8 out of 10 for me due to lack of atmospheric and consistent storytelling (has never been a strength in the Elder Scrolls series), and due to the horrible console port for PC (the controls and the interface are outright horrible). Expand
  100. Aug 6, 2013
    I'll start by saying I have over 50 hours logged with this game and will likely be up to 100 by the time I'm done. When you've sunk that much time into a game and don't really regret it, I'd say it's a good game that served its purpose, regardless of any current disillusionment.

So, Skyrim is the first Elder Scrolls game I've played, and it's about what I expected, on multiple levels. I'd heard stories of the fantastic world-building and fantasy setting, and I'm not disappointed in that; I find the lore engaging, the holds fascinating, the rich sense of history and myth engrossing, and the particular epic end-of-the-world scenario introduced to be sufficiently badass as to overcome my boredom with being yet again the chosen one on a quest to save the universe.

I've seen some reviews impinge on the graphics, but frankly, if graphics stayed this good for the rest of my gaming life I think I'd be content. No, it's not absolutely photorealistic, but the vistas and dungeons are equally breathtaking and immersive, and the character models and items are sufficiently realistic that I rarely find myself stuck in the uncanny valley. (Then again, this is two years later, with all expansions, so the game when it came out might have looked much worse.)

Of course, I'm one of those people for whom graphics can slide so long as the gameplay is fun and the art design is interesting and boy, do I love the art design here. From goats all the way up to dragons, the animals and enemies just look amazing, hyper-real if you will (not actually realistic, but fantastically real). While I was yearning for much more variation after many hours of play, each piece of clothing or armor the game does have is stunningly detailed and well designed, and the weapons look and feel epic enough to make me want to reach into the game and pluck them out for my own use. Permeated with a Viking motif that I'm already partial to, the world's design just screeches out honor and strength and stark endurance, with danger lurking around every corner that brave men and women face triumphantly on a daily basis. I can, and have, just wandered for hours, taking in each new sight, drawn in to discover how it fits in and adds to this world of badass.

About halfway through, so I should start talking about what I didn't like, I guess. Well, at this point, my major complaint is this: there's so much to do, and yet there's ONLY TWO THINGS TO DO. Your interaction with the world is limited to pressing E, saying yes, and then going out to kill every damn thing at a location. There's barely any actual choices made in this game; people are either ready to tell you their life story, or ready to bash your skull in, on sight. There's no bargaining with or intimidating the bandits that happen across your path, there's no option to infiltrate a cabal of dark mages, there's barely any incentive to sneak through anywhere, and most importantly, there's virtually no character building whatsoever. Everything is just "go to X, kill all the Y, retrieve the Z."

Sure, that formula works for a while but then, when you start thinking, your immersion just breaks. You realize that, here is this massive, breathtakingly beautiful world filled with both natural wonders and the splendor of sapient creation and it's inhabited by cardboard cutouts of characters who tell you to go kill even more vaguely drawn creatures. There's some story imparted along the way, but it's easy to miss as you hack, slash, stab or burn your way across the world, and never actually gives the impression that it really matters.

Next, while the idea of doing something to get better at it is a laudable one it creates total apathy when it comes to making new characters. After I finish the game with my character now, I realized I have no real desire to go back and play a new one; after all, I can do everything the game has to offer with this one. There's pretty much nothing and no one that's closed off to you based on your choices, no new options that become available with a difference in race or focus; as others have noted, you can be the freaking Archmage and not know a single spell above Apprentice level, or the Harbinger of the Companions without ever lifting a weapon. Especially in single player, where you're the only thing with an actual brain around, classes are the only way for the world to actually understand the role you're trying to play.

And finally, to be blunt, the interface sucks balls. Major donkey balls. Even hotkeys on the PC version don't save it; there's not enough to make much difference. Using magic, especially alternating between it and Shouts, is simply annoying where it should be empowering. Swapping equipment or selling is a chore, as is crafting.

To wrap up: it's not at all a bad game. In fact, it's pretty damn good. But a lack of actual choice and character building, combined with the interface, mars what is otherwise an awesome experience.

1. Feb 29, 2012