8.2

1. Apr 26, 2015
    This game is buggy and crashes constantly. But hey, there's mods to fix that. But wait, mods will now cost money. Basically you're paying for patches for a game that should have been patched years ago by the company. But nope, they're too lazy to do that and rather charge people just to fix their broken game.
  2. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim was a perfect 10/10 game for me with mods. Now that many and more are being hidden behind a paywall I refuse to support this game or any future Valve or Bethesda products until an alternative solution (like a donation button) is reached.
  3. Apr 26, 2015
    What gave the extrordinary life spawn of Skyrim and other open world Bethesda's games is mods. Free mods. If the modding community is as huge as it is right now it is because of its free of charge aspect. Well, I say free of charge, but you can still donate as you like for mods.

If only it was about it. No, Bethesda decided to get 45% of the price modders decided to ask for their work.

Greed, coming from modders and companies is once again being a part of the dumbling down of gaming. It's a shame, really...
  4. Apr 26, 2015
    Thank Valve for destroying PC gaming's very soul. R.I.P. you mediocre waste of hdd space. The mods that once brought on the top are being strip from your skin as we speak. And I can't bear to look at such suffering.

Especially when it is your very own family that do it.
  5. Apr 26, 2015
    I just created an account to say that this game now sucks with this greedy mod paywall.
    Now you can pay 2€ for a mod that adds a **** sword, while the game itself could be bought for 5€.

Avoid it at all cost.
  6. Apr 26, 2015
    I've played TES since Daggerfall and have always been impressed by the culture of modding surrounding the series. That culture has been assaulted in the past few days by Valve and Bethesda, solely to make profit, which is both disheartening and insulting. The fact that they would corrupt such a beautiful artistic culture which has existed for longer than either company by attempting to ownI've played TES since Daggerfall and have always been impressed by the culture of modding surrounding the series. That culture has been assaulted in the past few days by Valve and Bethesda, solely to make profit, which is both disheartening and insulting. The fact that they would corrupt such a beautiful artistic culture which has existed for longer than either company by attempting to own it is disgusting. The two faced nature of this, first saying that they wish to support modders, and then disrupting attempts to collect donations and taking 75% of all sales made by modders, as well as the general shady dealings of Valve simply compounds the issue.

This is not their hobby, they are not modders, they wish to own modding, which oughtn't be owned. This cannot be allowed.
  7. Apr 26, 2015
    Paying for mods? The only thing you should pay for is the base game, and the base game is not really that great without mods. I've been playing beth games since morrowind, i couldn't imagine paying for the thousands of mods I've used, or getting paid for the dozen or so mods i've released.

You have to be insane to think this will result in anything positiive.
  8. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods are unacceptable. I hope they choke on their failed TES. Its not about the 75%. its about profiting from something you have done no work on.
  9. Apr 26, 2015
    Great game, ruined by greed with micro-transactions. A horrible, horrible ending of the open and lovely community of modders. PC gaming would never be what it is today without mods, and Bethesda ruins this in a single day.
  10. Apr 26, 2015
    pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself. pIad mods?? Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself.
  11. Apr 26, 2015
    In what way, shape or form do paid mods (with only 25% of earnings going toward the creator, mind you) help the modding, skyrim or overarching gaming community? Why can't we just donate? Why do Valve and Bethesda get a 75 PERCENT CUT from content they didn't even create, promote, endorse, support, etc? This is an unforgivable move. Forget Valve, forget Bethesda, forget Steam.
  12. Apr 26, 2015
    This was my first foray into the world of Elder Scrolls. I found it to be full of fetch quests and forced sightseeing unless I wanted to break immersion by making extensive use of the fast travel system once you eventually visit a location. One of the draws to this game for me was the mods, but it seems that if I want to enjoy some of the more appealing ones the game will cost me moreThis was my first foray into the world of Elder Scrolls. I found it to be full of fetch quests and forced sightseeing unless I wanted to break immersion by making extensive use of the fast travel system once you eventually visit a location. One of the draws to this game for me was the mods, but it seems that if I want to enjoy some of the more appealing ones the game will cost me more than the price tag actually indicates.

What happened to the good old days when you bought a polished, finished product that could stand on its own as a satisfying experience?
  13. Apr 26, 2015
    I won't support pay mods , your game last this long because of free mods but now you want to earn some money from it. I could support if modder get decent cut from the sale but 25% you give for modder is screaming Greedy from your end.
  14. Apr 26, 2015
    A buggy plattform that try to take credit of other peoples hard work.
    The Company is a greedy pile of **** with no soul.
    Go to the corner of shame and dont you dare try to leave it!
  15. Apr 26, 2015
    Game gets very dull but has one of the greatest modding communities ever, well....had... paid mods is now a thing, and if you don't want to shill out 100$ extra this game is pretty meh. Until this crap goes away it isn't worth it.
  16. Apr 26, 2015
    i worked very hard writing this review, unless you are an entitled brat you will understand i deserve to be compensated for my time.

(one time payment of $9.99 will unlock this full review, further payment of $ 1.99 will unlock edits made to fix my spelling. Buy my review season pass for $299.99 to get full access to all reviews written by me during 1/1/15 to 1/1/16). Don't forget to

Don't forget to pre-order my upcoming, early access, Colored Words(tm) mod for the discounted rate of $4.99 . Will randomly add vibrant colors to some words in my reviews for ultimate re-readability.

*DISCLAIMER (reserve the right to never update or complete my work after i have pocketed your money, no refunds)
  17. Apr 26, 2015
    A downright fantastic game. Great lore, rich characters, and although combat/leveling system isn't as complex or in depth as it was in Oblivion, it still is a fun game. Not only that, but this game is easily modable, allowing players to create their own content using Skyrims assets or their own. With mods or without, Skyrim is a game that belongs in everyone's gaming library
  18. Apr 26, 2015
    Now with 1,000,000% more paid DLC, first horse armor now this. Greedy company is, greedy. I wouldn't buy another game from them if they paid me to take it.
  19. Apr 26, 2015
    Get farmville its got better graphics and pay mods at least have support.
    Or buy this game so bethesda and valve don't starve to death, we all know gaben cannot afford to miss a meal.
  20. Apr 26, 2015
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 9,5/10. Оne of the best games.
    23,04,2015 - RIP game - modifications for money. in steam...
    Why did it?...very disappointed...
  21. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda are in the wrong. Paid mods are a consumer and modders' nightmare. Do not support this company for this screwed up practice!

Modders are getting their content stolen, and both Bethesda and Valve are getting free money for doing nothing. A good game is no longer good when the companies' policies are this corrupt and awful. Go take your 75% revenue share and shove it up your *** Bethesda and Valve!
  22. Apr 26, 2015
    Game itself is 9/10
    Tons of great mods will bump it to 10/10 or even 11/10
    However, since they turned one of the best mod community into money grabbing cash cows, it gets EA/10
  23. Apr 26, 2015
    Oy vey this is like anudda shoah. My grandpa was gassed 7 times and rendered into soap twice. Twice! And this is exactly how this feels. Remove the paid mod system or I will report this to JIDF.
  24. Apr 26, 2015
    Like most Bethesda games, Skyrim is only mediocre when played without mods. With mods, the cool factor rises a million times over. Mods let you change almost every element of the game, adding immeasurable fun, and replay value. With that said, this is going to be a negative review because Bethesda, and Valve, have enabled a system where modders can now sell their mods on Steam.
  25. Apr 26, 2015
    I love this game but charging for mods is stupid and I will never pay for them. It actually makes me sick, thanks Bethesda for being trash. That's it, nothing else worth saying.
  26. Apr 26, 2015
    Due to recent events, Bethesda and VALVe decided to turn a community-friendly base into a Riot. What they have done is making "Paid Mods." That in itself says that they're greedy and looking for easy way to earn a living, not only that, they are also charging 75%, 25% goes to the mod creators and the rest between VALVe and Bethesda.

This is basically a third-party DLC, and will make

This is basically a third-party DLC, and will make people go for Hacked MODS, which in itself sounds insane.

Over a hundred thousand people stands against this and would dearly want it away.

The base game itself however, is not great. TESV: Skyrim cannot handle more than 60 frames per second and will actually mess up the Engine. Texture-wise it looks bland and quick made. If this wasn't for the friendly community that modded this game, it would have been dead after about 3 months after Launch.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is a victim of greed, by Bethesda and VALVe, supporting MODS that are in Early Access. Yes, Early Access, which means, if you pay for the mod, it can be easily be abandoned by the developer, and you only have a 24 hour refund. I say only, because it takes time to find the problem it can cause, and when the timer is out, VALVe will straight out say: Bad luck for you.

So as you can see, the plans they have made is poorly short-sighted and greed for money.

Not only that but many people has seen this as a failure by the community and players alike.
  27. Apr 26, 2015
    From one of my favorite franchises, to one i will avoid like the plague...How the mighty have fallen. This is a great game but Bethsoft have turned into greedy scum.
  28. Apr 26, 2015
    A shame really. They had to fall back on this product and try to scam the community for fast cash after their The Elder Scrolls Online game was horribly mediocre and failed.
  29. Apr 26, 2015
    This game without mods - 4/10
    This game with mods - 10/10
    This game with paid mods - 0/10

Congratulations for destroying the biggest modding community in the world in one day, Valve.
  30. Apr 26, 2015
    Let me get this straight Skyrim is a fun game but gets very boring after getting trough most content in the first 12 hours, which is why bethesda gave the modding community power and thus breathed new life in their game.

Now we got payed mods, early access payed mods.
    I refuse to stand for this utter ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ on both Valve's and Bethesda's end
  31. Apr 26, 2015
    This was an ok game but buggy as hell and on it's own not very memorable.
    The thing that made this game 9/10 was user created mods.
    Now that mods are monetized (thanks Bethesda) there is absolutely no reason for you to buy this game on PC.
    Get your DRM free hard copy for console and enjoy this mediocre crapfest. 3/10
  32. Apr 26, 2015
    Great job Valve and Bethesda! Because of your decision to enable paid mods, I will NEVER buy anything from either of you and I will never use Steam again, no matter what you do. And I am not the only one doing this.
  33. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods? Is this a joke?
    This game with mods it's amazing, but it worths ZERO without them.
    This greedy move will lead to the end of modding and to the start of modding piracy. Thanks Bugthesda, thanks Vulva.
  34. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim, one of the most modded games, just got paid mods because of greed from Valve and Bethesda.
    Bravo Valve and Bethesda, you've lost a lot of customers with this move.
  35. Apr 26, 2015
    So Valve and Bethesda have pretty much shown how to destroy an entire industry/community in one day. Of all the worst things that have been happening to games lately, this is one of, if not THE, worst thing.
  36. Apr 26, 2015
    Valve and Bethesda are charging people money for Skyrim mods now. Mods are no longer free because of this. Stop being greedy and charging people money for every single god damn thing. Mods used to FREE. Keep them that way: FREE!
  37. Apr 26, 2015
    Introducing payed mods makes the score of your game go down, down dooown. Valve and Bethesda should be ashamed of themself.

38. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda could never have enough money. Mods were exactly what attracted me and my friends to this game. Mods are what made it popular, therefore substantially increasing the sales. But that wasn't enough. Bethesda had to make more shekels. Paid mods are terrible and need to end.
  39. Apr 26, 2015
    I'll change my review if they get rid of putting mods behind a Paywall.

Bethesda and Valve are encouraging modders to place their mods behind a Paywall in a pre-existing open source modding community. The problems with that should be obvious. (Extremely easy to steal other people's work or steal it and change it to be unrecognizable) Not only that, but they want to take 75% of the
    I'll change my review if they get rid of putting mods behind a Paywall.

other people's work or steal it and change it to be unrecognizable)

Not only that, but they want to take 75% of the proceeds modders make and won't even give smaller modders anything until they make over $400, of that they only get $100.

40. Apr 26, 2015
    I will not mince words. Skyrim became one of the best modern games because a community of amazing and talented people made post release modifications. These transformed an expansive game into a full and rich experience that could be enjoyed for hundreds of hours. THEN THEY BURNED IT TO THE GROUND. NO PAID MODS.
  41. Apr 26, 2015
    I'd rather cuck my husband again than ever pay for a mod. Hell, I'd rather be cucked myself rather than pay for a mod. This is absolutely atrocious and needs to end.fff
  42. Apr 26, 2015
    A decent game made great by the modders. However, that is a matter of the past. Bethesda want's to cash in on that, which already reduced the number of mods as well as the number of good modders. Shame on you Valve and Bethesda!
  43. Apr 26, 2015
    As a paying customer I am enittled to my opinion on and will cry fowl when something is wrong

from my point of view.Paying for 3rd party mods / dlc / micro-transaction is a bad idea and should never have been allowed to be add to the steam work shop. This will only make game devs more lazy and release even more broken games, so the free labor of modders can fix it and then

and then charge the customer for it, and the devs get to keep most of the profits. The only

thing that made this game great ( for the most part ) was the free support from the people

making mods, and working with other modders to make the game even better. Now the devs want

it to be an extra fee for people to pay so they can make even more money off its customers

for work they had nothing to do with other then release "free" software ( that by buying the

game we really paided for ) that helps make it possible.
  44. Apr 26, 2015
    The game itself is fun and enjoyable.
    However, I do not nor will I ever support paid mod micro-transactions that profit the company rather than the modder. If Valve/Bethesda ever changes this stance, then I will change my score.
  45. Apr 26, 2015

I'll change my review if they get rid of putting mods behind a Paywall.

other people's work or steal it and change it to be unrecognizable)

Nexus on the other hand. has a donation button pop-up. If you like the mod you can donate directly to the mod creator. 100% of the proceeds go to the author for doing all the work, instead of valve and Bethesda stealing 75% of the money for doing nothing.
  46. Apr 26, 2015
    Very good game. But... Paid mods? Seriously? The credibility of Bethesda was destroyed. Gaming community also destroyed. This is nonsense. It is not right!

8/10 for playing 2011-2015.
    1/10 for playing in the spring 2015.
  47. Apr 26, 2015
    A game with numerous bugs an issues that was made playable by mods; unfortunately, Zenimax/Bethesda decided to eviscerate the modding community by claiming ownership of EVERY SINGLE MOD made with the modding tool included with Skyrim and charging for mods on the Steam Workshop. The goal is to force players to pay for mods now and in the future, making the game a never-ending money pit. NoA game with numerous bugs an issues that was made playable by mods; unfortunately, Zenimax/Bethesda decided to eviscerate the modding community by claiming ownership of EVERY SINGLE MOD made with the modding tool included with Skyrim and charging for mods on the Steam Workshop. The goal is to force players to pay for mods now and in the future, making the game a never-ending money pit. No thanks.

Do not buy this game; do not buy it for your children, for anyone in your family and do not buy it for your friends. Stay away from any video games produced by Zenimax/Bethesda.
  48. Apr 26, 2015
    as much as i adore this game, the lore, the franchise and the community built around it. i cannot in good conscience support such blatant abuse of the community.

the community has done nothing but support bethesda and the elder scrolls over the years, creating countless stories, extensions, creations and resources, extending what would otherwise be good games into incredible and endlessly expansible worlds, magnifying the value and influence of their games 100fold.

terry pratchett HIMSELF(of discworld fame) was an advocate of free and open modding, creating for the art and passion of improving other people's experiences. he worked on the famous companion vilja mods for oblivion and skyrim, he would be rolling in his grave if he saw the desecration of the community he loved so dearly at the hands of valve.

the community is incredibly interconnected, with shared resources, tools, inter-dependencies of mods relying on other mods to function, and people creating odds and ends for the simple enjoyment of having others make use of them and grow as creators, many of those have gone into hiding, locked away their mods and resources for fear of having them be taken and sold by less scrupulous individuals.

mod theft was rampant on the workshop before this, with many creators struggling to reclaim ownership of their hard work, this system just serves to reward the thieves more than they already are. leaving the workshop to moderate itself has left accountability at an all time low

i DO believe modders should be supported for their work, but not at the expense of tearing apart the community, shoving valuable resources behind a paywall, removing already existing beloved creations just so they could be hidden behind a price tag.

donations or a system similar to patreon where users can support mod development is what should have been done, while not be beholden to pay for a mod that may or may not even WORK with their system. but a straight up cash gate, with bethesda and valve claiming the VAST MAJORITY of the income for themselves, and giving the mod creators the left over scraps is COMPLETELY ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT UNACCEPTABLE, these people have worked their asses off out of love for you and your platforms for nearly a decade, and you exploit them as slave labor.

mod authors should be SUPPORTED, not scammed, the community should not be forced to pay out of their pocket for something that may not work with their system, or may outright be stolen, if the work is good and truly does what it says, is neither exploitative and abusive, then people will gladly support it in droves. this cash gate is unacceptable and 90% of the community knows it, only the most shameless of sycophants are in support of this mess.

bethesda and valve, along with those who have betrayed the community, either deliberately or unwittingly, have driven resource creators and artists into hiding, caused some of the most brilliant community members to shun everyone and pack up their work, locking it away in the depths of their hard drives out of fear of exploitation

i recommend you take your business elsewhere, play something else, buy an under appreciated indie game, as long as bethesda continues to exploit the community that elevated them to where they are today, they deserve nothing but our scorn. if they come to their senses and make amends for this atrocity, then maybe the community can begin to heal and they will restore our shattered respect for them
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 9,5/10. Оne of the best games.
    23,04,2015 - RIP game - modifications for money. in steam...
    Why did it?...very disappointed...
  50. Apr 26, 2015
    This game now has paid mods. What more could possibly be said to explain how complete and utter **** Valve and Bethesda are? If you want modders to make money just **** donate to them. It's **** worked so far.
  51. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. PaidPaid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Paid mods are terrible. Expand
  52. Apr 26, 2015
    Pay for mods, no thank you! Valve can kindly take their Jewish Goiym and shove it up their arses. Free modders unite for the glory of the PC community!
  53. Apr 26, 2015
    This game's developer, Bethesda, in conjunction with Valve, has begun to enforce a paid mods system. This is reprehensible. The game was barely worth playing without mods, and to force them behind a paywall is mind-bogglingly greedy.
  54. Apr 26, 2015
    A game that was kept alive by the modding community now spits in their face while making a profit on it,
    Don't be a slave stand up for your hobby do what is right
  55. Apr 26, 2015
    A middlingly good RPG which became something incredible with the help of its strong modding community - as Oblivion and Morrowind did before it - now crippled by Bethesda & Valve's attempt to monetise that community. A textbook example of how to turn the whole market against your series and your company.
  56. Apr 26, 2015
    Bethesda has been showing that they don't care for years now, they release broken buggy messes then rely on modders to fix it for them, problem is, now that those modders can now charge up to $100 (should they wish) for these fixes you might as well not even worry about buying the game until this policy is reversed.
  57. Apr 26, 2015
    The game before paid-for mods 8/10

The game without mods 6/10

The game now 1/10

When paid-for mods are removed it will again deserve an 8/10 rating. And since this review must be 150 characters long I will just write about how it must be 150 characters long until it is so I can post it. Is it still not 150 characters long
  58. Apr 26, 2015
    Don't be a slave stand up for your hobby do what is right.
  59. Apr 26, 2015
    9/10 for the game
    0/10 for the paid mods
    Valve/Bethesda, you dun ****ed up.
    Uh.... I need more characters so....
    /150characterssssssssssss
    There we go
  60. Apr 26, 2015
    The base game of Skyrim is buggy and CTD often, the main story is boring and without mods this game is broken.

If it wasn't for modding this game would have died years ago, and now thanks to paid mods there will be a pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made. Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no

pay wall for things like GUI fixes that the modding community made.

Bethesda takes a 45% cut from all paid mod sales Valve take 30% and the modder gets 25% there is no way to get a refund of real money if you buy a mod and it doesn't work you have a 24 hour period in which you can be refunded store credit not real money.

There is also no way to be sure what a mod is like because Steam have locked the forums for these paid mods unless you buy them so they expect you to buy blind.

There is also no way to insure consumer are protected from mods being dropped or patching causing games to break and people buying mods may be left out of pocket with a broken game/save due to bad modding.
  61. Apr 26, 2015
    I used to love this game then i got an Paid Mod arrow in my knee.

Then they walked over my body and said "Modders who worked on their ass to received 25% of the profit while we didn't do sh*t and finally laugh all the way to the bank with the rest of the profit".
  62. Apr 26, 2015
    RIP Skyrim 2011-2015

cause of death: Gaben greed

Really can't believe they are trying to pull these mod shenanigans. No steam, I'm not paying for a mod that might not work, and I'm definitely not paying when the creator only gets 25%. Put a donate button where 100% goes to the creator or nothing.
  63. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid Mods? What a joke. If you thought DLC was **** then boy oh boy are you in for a surprise with PAID **** MODS. Boycott Valve, boycott Bethesda and start living the life a pirate.
  64. Apr 26, 2015
    Paid mods aren't the way to go, Valve and Bethesda. You should've known better. I will never buy a mod and support them. Way to kill your game. ggwp
  65. Apr 26, 2015
    This game in it's un-modded form is broken, and average at best. Mods fixing bugs, increasing graphical quality, adding needed gameplay elements, make this game great. All of these things benefit the publisher and platform (Steam) already. They do not deserve a portion of the profits for things made by others work that increase the value of their game. They are essentially forcingThis game in it's un-modded form is broken, and average at best. Mods fixing bugs, increasing graphical quality, adding needed gameplay elements, make this game great. All of these things benefit the publisher and platform (Steam) already. They do not deserve a portion of the profits for things made by others work that increase the value of their game. They are essentially forcing modders to pay them to make their product better. If they want to help modders make a profit, allow donations, but to take a portion of that is disgusting and greedy, especially when they already benefit from the free labor and increased game value of the mods already. Expand
  66. YML
    Apr 26, 2015
    One of the best games of all time...until Bethesda decided to turn free, user-made mods into money-making DLCs, only without the quality control of actual DLCs.
  67. Apr 26, 2015
    I am giving this game a very low score due to the recent announcement of paid mods.

how wonderful! That way when a paid mod (DLC) breaks valve/bethesda can just put their hands up and direct your anger back at some poor modder. All while they take a 75% cut.

disliked, thumbs down, unsubscribed
  68. Apr 26, 2015
    The developers are ruining the community by allowing paid mods. There is no quality control with these mods, and the mod creators get 25% of the cost they charge.
  69. Apr 26, 2015
    Can't support paid mods. My opinion on both Valve and Bethesda has gone down, one of the reasons I bought Skyrim was because I knew I would be able to download loads of great mods for free. It seems that this is the first step in an attempt to restrict that. Monopolies are bad.
  70. Apr 26, 2015
    A few years back a good game was launched named Skyrim. The game felt kind of empty with many limits, shortcomings and a short storyline but was still good. A few modders started to share their first creations and as the community grew, more and more mods and sub-communities saw the day. The work to improve and expand the game was well on its way. The community created tools and resourcesA few years back a good game was launched named Skyrim. The game felt kind of empty with many limits, shortcomings and a short storyline but was still good. A few modders started to share their first creations and as the community grew, more and more mods and sub-communities saw the day. The work to improve and expand the game was well on its way. The community created tools and resources that other modders used. Ideas was discussed and fantastic mods was created. Today more than 40000 mods is hosted on nexus and the workshop have more than 25000 mods. Countless numbers of videos, reviews, feedbacks and play testing have been produced. The game have expanded and improved in all aspects and the selection of mods,improvements and information is tremendous.

The community surrounding Skyrim have become very large and the popularity of the game followed that growth. And much of this was built on the idea that everyone was free to use the mods and tools that was created by the community. All that changed when Bethesda made it possible to charge money for mods. This change in policy is moving Bethesda in a direction that is undermining the foundation for the popularity and interested around their games. This change in policy will split up the community, create conflicts and reduce number of new mods created. Many will feel betrayed and treated unfairly and those that made the resource and tools that made some of the best mods possible will never be paid.

I'm not against that modders get paid for their work, I'm against the way it was introduced, that they introduced it in a well established community and the way it work on steam. By using Skyrim as the first game that have this "paying for mod" system it just feels like they are trying to suck out all the cash they can from this community that was built around free sharing and that already have thousand of mods available for sale. And in return they only give 25% to the modders, its easy to see that this was not act of being kind to the community.
  71. Apr 26, 2015
    After **** up The Elder Scrolls Online Bethesda had the incredible awesome idea to introduce paid mods for skyrim , not only that but they and steam take 75% of the profits.
  72. Apr 26, 2015
    Designed to bleed as much money as possible. Best selling Bethesda title of all time, primarily thanks to modders. Wants to take profits from their work because they screwed up TESO: makes Skyrim a money making scheme off of other people's work. Game is ruined, stay clear.
  73. Apr 26, 2015
    Vanilla-Skyrim: 6/10 (compared to other RPGs Skyrim is disgrace to the RPG-Genre)
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously? Not that I don't endorse modders, but why should Bethesda get paid for other people's work? Why should I pay for mods, where I have no guarantee that it'll work even with other current or future mods? Why can't I just donate to the modders
    Modded-Skyrim: 12+/10
    Skyrim with paywalled Mods: seriously?

Why can't I just donate to the modders directly if I'm satisfied with their work?
    Why do they even call it "mods"? These are obviously 3rd party DLCs.
  74. Apr 26, 2015
    The paid mods initiative is an unbelievably cynical cash grab that has introduced a totally horrific concept to PC gaming.

The idea is now "out there", companies like Valve and EA are going to keep trying this till it pays off for them in the long term.

Everything about gaming is now a nickle and dime zero sum game. What a farce.
  75. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim was quite possibly the best game of this side of the century. Released on my birthday and my wife surprised me with it after work who then eagerly cheered me on as she sat beside me.

Until the fire nation came... I mean Bethesda became greedy. "How greedy." you ask skeptically. - Stuck deal with Steam to allow the modding community to charge for mods. - Deal included Theft

Until the fire nation came... I mean Bethesda became greedy.

"How greedy." you ask skeptically.

- Stuck deal with Steam to allow the modding community to charge for mods.
    - Deal included Theft of Wages from said modding community; Author only keeps 25% of income, the rest is split between Steam and Bethesda.
    - Damaging PC Gaming by taking a chapter from EA and pushing micro-transactions as a core part of the system.

I will never PAY for a mod. Ever. Donate after tremendous work, effort and long term commitment to their project? Absolutely, but I'll never PAY to use it because lets face it - Mod authors frequently abandon projects. What's stopping them from making/stealing a project, getting the cash and bailing out?

Nothing. That's what's stopping them. There's plenty more on this subject, just look around for the threads.

Bad form. Bad form all around.

R.I.P. Skyrim
    November 11th, 2011
    to
    April 23rd, 2015

"Gone too soon"
  76. Apr 26, 2015
    Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee! / Pay for Mods needs an arrow to the knee!
  77. Apr 26, 2015
    This is more of a recommendation than a review.

I love this game a lot, but the entire community is being ruined by paid mods on the Steam Workshop. Yes, you may wonder why I post here and not on Steam, but these paid mods affect the entirety of the Skyrim modding community, and until this stops, Skyrim is going to be a near ruined game. I do not want this to happen, and therefore I
    This is more of a recommendation than a review.

I do not want this to happen, and therefore I leave a negative review.
  78. Apr 26, 2015
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda are now "servicing" PAID mods to gamers. The mod creators themselves only take 25% from it. These modders are "self-employed". Bethesda and Valve are not legally bound to these people. Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source
    WAGE-THEFT, MICRO-TRANSACTIONS & YOU

Valve and Bethesda reinvented Micro-transactions, already the most unethical business practice of the decade, and it is now an INDIRECT source of revenue, exploiting both gamers and modders for their hard work.

Nevermind modding was about enjoying your time with the game, having fun and giving back to the community. Now it's a business. Serious business. It involves money, trademarks and possible litigation over ownership of intellectual property.

Bethesda can now rely on modders to work for a pittance while cashing in the profits, at the same time avoiding ALL legal issues if there are ANY problems with said mods. Modders are on their own.

Bethesda is taking pretty much half of the profit, and modders (who are not employees, thus Bethesda doesn't owe them anything) are left to dry in the sand. No rights, no protection.

And if you think 25% is bad, you're not taking taxes into account. It's worse than bad.
  79. Apr 26, 2015

This act

This act has already led to some modders pulling their mods from free sites like Nexus. Why is it a bad thing for modders to be paid for their work? Because that's not what modding is all about. I also mod, but I would never charge someone for something that is essentially done for fun, and with the notion of sharing with others. Modding has always been something done by the fans of a game, for other fans of the game.

For companies like Steam, and Bethesda, to try to monetize that, is nothing more than greed. And get this, the modders only recieve 25% of what they charge for their mods. Guess who gets the other 75%. This move sets a really bad precedent for things to come. You may not play Skyrim, but what if Valve started doing this to all their games? Modders for all games could potentially start charging people, and then the whole modding community would just turn into a huge market that nets big money for greedy corporations.

So, though I had fun with it in the past, I do not recommend Skyrim to anyone. It's your call to get it, but when the only thing that makes the game any good, is about to become paid DLC, that's when the game turns foul in my mind.
    Posted April 23.
  80. Apr 26, 2015
    With the Elder Scrolls series becoming more streamlined it got more shallow with the focus on questing and less about exploring and immersing yourself into the gaming world.
    Combined with mediocre writing and loaded with bugs the series had one redeeming quality that made it a great game well deserving of the praise it got.
    The modding community. With the community torn apart the
    The modding community.
    With the community torn apart the lifespan of this product will be way shorter than it's predecessors Morrowind and Oblivion to which you can still add freshly made content up to this day.
  81. Apr 26, 2015
    I've not seen such a horrible move by Bethesda and Valve. I've played the game for over three hundred hours, and as Valve introduced the paid mod scheme, I will never support either company ever again.
  82. Apr 26, 2015
    This game has it's problems, and it's strong points.

This game has it's problems, and it's strong points.

Bethesda tends to release expansive, games, brimming with potential, but their eyes also tend to be too big for their stomach so to speak. They end up releasing games brimming with bugs (Also in many of their games they seem incapable of actually making a normal humanoid head. Skyrim was the best so far at this). They've relied heavily on the mod community to fix these things after the beginnings of it in Daggerfall (where modding wasn't supported), with Morrowind, it was full on support for mods, and someone at Bethsoft should have rightfully gotten a huge pay raise. It helped make tons of loyal fans for the entire series, and if you think it didn't affect the success of the games? You are likely delusional.

Here are my problems with it.

Dumbed down. The removal of several systems that were present in previous iterations of the series were not an improvement. Skyrim often feels like it lacks customization.

Magic kind of sucks. It's been kind of going downhill for the entire series though, but there are several seemingly confusing oversights. Such as the lack of mark and recall spells.

Where are my vambraces? Sentence says it all.

The biggest downside now though: Paid mods. Yes the thing that skyrim relied on heavily since it's launch, and the thing Bethesda has been relying on for, idk a decade or so, is now open to purchase. Just like DLC, aren't you excited consumer? Oh and the creator of the content gets 25%, 45% going to bethsoft, and 30% going to Valve. So the person doing the work, gets a quarter on every dollar. Clearly a framework based on the outright exploitation of the work of others for financial gain. The legal issues alone are staggering, unlicensed student versions of 3dsmax, appropriation of the assets of others under a non-commercial license suddenly appearing in commercial mods, outright theft of mods, the fracturing of the modding community. It's a bad thing. They did this game in, but hopefully we can all stop it here. Paid mods? No more.
  83. Apr 26, 2015
  84. Apr 26, 2015
    Very disappointed in the fact that this game now has paid mods. The vanilla game has a woeful poorly ported console UI, which is absolutely sub-par. If you wanted to fix this, you could, by using the free SkyUI mod, which makes it a great UI. If you now want to play the game with the great UI, you will have to pay extra for that...
  85. Apr 26, 2015
    It a solid game as it is (vanilla), but to make more of it you will surely want to install a couple of mods. And they were free as they were made by modders that do it for love and fun. Now money grabbing bi* in Bethseda and Vulva want to charge for it and give measly 25% to the modders and keeping rest for themselves. Yea right.
  86. Apr 26, 2015
    Skyrim was, and still is, an okay game, but made better with mods. However, VALVe's recent introduction of paid mods on the Steam Workshop will almost certainly turn the modding community (which is what kept this game going long after it should have dies out) against each other, after years of harmony. They're even censoring donation links to the modders, all so VALVe and Bethesda can takeSkyrim was, and still is, an okay game, but made better with mods. However, VALVe's recent introduction of paid mods on the Steam Workshop will almost certainly turn the modding community (which is what kept this game going long after it should have dies out) against each other, after years of harmony. They're even censoring donation links to the modders, all so VALVe and Bethesda can take 75% of the money that we WILL NOT GIVE.

Damage has already been done, but VALVe, you can still fix this. All you need to do is by removing the option to pay, and adding a donation button, with at least 90% going directly to the modder. Until then, I will not support Bethesda and VALVe.

TL;DR: You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Goodbye, VALVe.
  87. Apr 26, 2015
    I like this game a lot, but paid only mods are going to divide the modding community and a damage can already been seen.
    I will never support this kind of practice, donations would be better option.
  88. Apr 26, 2015
    Great game with mods. Cannot be recommended under paid mod model. Vanilla game is just not up to it and not Bethesda wants you to pay extra to finish their work. Don't support this model.
  89. Apr 26, 2015
    A horrible day.Paid modding is added now and is killing the modding community.Once an ok game with mods is now utter trash.

Thank you Valve and Bethesda for ruining the modding community.
  90. Apr 26, 2015
    Was a great game with mods. Now, this game is worthless, unless you ready to deal with a ridiculous mod community of costs and mods and modders that don't really care, and just come and go.
  91. Apr 26, 2015
    Do not support Bethesda any more. They were always horrible, but they had some redeeming features which brought us back. Long have they released unfinished games for full price, and expected modders to fix them. But now they're reaping profits from these modders with paid mods, the developers of the mods are getting miniscule profits from THEIR OWN WORK and steam has been removing donateDo not support Bethesda any more. They were always horrible, but they had some redeeming features which brought us back. Long have they released unfinished games for full price, and expected modders to fix them. But now they're reaping profits from these modders with paid mods, the developers of the mods are getting miniscule profits from THEIR OWN WORK and steam has been removing donate links! The game itself is boring and needs to be modded to have any fun to begin with. Expand
  92. Apr 26, 2015
    A once loved game that now includes paid modding,encourages modders to steal from one another and threats consumers like cash cows.

All that so Bethesda and Valve can take their 75% cut of the pie.

Do not support this anti-consumer ***
  93. Apr 25, 2015
    Avoid at all costs if buying on steam. Recently added a paid mods "feature" which has ruined the spirit of the game and the community. Please please please avoid. Teach Valve and Bethesda what they did wrong.
  94. Apr 25, 2015
    Paid mods.This game killed modding.Do not buy.Do not support Bethesda!Do not support Valve!

They monetised the part that was making their game playable and killed the community for a few dollars more!
  95. Apr 25, 2015
    I am seriously disappointed by Bethesda's greedy decision of taking 75% of the profit generated by mods their users make. This will go down in history as one of the worst changes made to an otherwise flawless game.

Skyrim Vanilla 8/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  96. Apr 25, 2015
    At one time, I would have rated this game around 8, I have always enjoyed playing it. That being said, I have uninstalled the game will no longer play it, or purchase anything from Bethesda again. Why? Paid mods. I cannot support a game, game developer, publisher, or content delivery network that would employ such a horrible scam.
  97. Apr 25, 2015
    Paid mods are **** cancer and do nothing except destroy the community. Valve and Bethesda are going to be hurt by this more than they will than the $20 they make off of the 10 people retarded enough to buy a mod.
  98. Apr 25, 2015
    Was one of my favourite games before corporate greed reigned supreme. Best mod workshop in all of steam now hidden behind a paywall, pay for extra apple, pay for extra map marker, only 2 dollars to play fishing mini game. I am done with this game 0/10 will not play or recommend again
  99. Apr 25, 2015
    Bethesda has proven to be absolutely despicable with the recent changes to the Steam Workshop. They are tarnishing their reputation, and in doing so have caused the degradation of quality in their games.
  100. Apr 25, 2015
    Skyrim was fun game but with a large amount of bugs and some very poorly implemented user interface features, game was also pretty short and easy.
    With Mods you could fix almost all the bugs and repair your UI add immersion more quests more replayability more character customization better graphics etc...
    With paid mods someone like me who uses 90 mods I would need to spend about
    With paid mods someone like me who uses 90 mods I would need to spend about 200-400$ for the mods I use....
    Skyrim Vanilla 6/10
    Skyrim with mods 10/10
    Skyrim with paid mods 0/10
  101. Nov 11, 2011
    To those who can't believe how somebody could rate this game so low, I know exactly how you feel, about the game and the rating. I couldn't possibly care any less though.:)
    Good WRPG is all about choices/options and involved/enjoyable character development. An epic, well written story helps as well. This game does not have any of this.
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a
    With a large world to explore, it first felt like a lot was possible. Cave exploration, ruin exploration, underwater exploration, fight X creature, find a random town and talk to random denizen, etc. After about 10 hours, it became more obvious that, yeah there is a lot you can do on the side, just none of it was all that interesting. At a certain point it just felt like I was playing offline MMO, in that the game allows you to do so much but it's just done so poorly.
    I know that the graphics aren't the most important part of a game like this but Skyrim don't even look average. I would never be so ridiculous as to say that I would buy a game just based on the visuals, but this game look like heavily moded Oblivion.

1. Feb 29, 2012
  2. Feb 14, 2012
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012