The Guild 2: Renaissance PC

7.6

1. Jan 26, 2011
    Bottom-Line
    Bottom-Line
    I would only and very much recommend this game to anyone who looks for an RTS that isn't trendy. If your more into killing, return to C&C or SC. It lightly delivers an RPG feel, has a great economic system, and unique way of going about the game from a military point of view. Not only does it provide objective based rules, there is a sandbox to try out new things for single and multiplayer. However, you have to weigh bugs, your patience, and an absent multiplayer(online) into playability of the game. However, the community has a way around the multiplayer through the use of third party programs that allow players to join games through their Lan. This is the first game I've tried of the series, so I can't compare/contrast of the others, but I have to say its a good play. I've played 75hours. I've paid sale price for this game and I definitely got my money's worth. Any game nearing 100 hours of enjoyable/challenging experience is no doubt in my opinion is something to definitely try out!

Youtube
    Tutorial on basics, quit whining about absent manual and enjoy gaming.
  2. Aug 11, 2011
    Yes, The Game is Buggy and the Graphics don't compare to newer games, but I have bought this for myself and 6 other friends and we have loved playing multiplayer together, we have been playing for 50+ hours and when it bugs out of sync we load the last save and keep going (Q is quick save, regular quicksaves solve all problems along with the 4.17 beta patch)

Anyone who doesn't recognise

Anyone who doesn't recognise the brilliance of this game doesn't deserve to play it. I think of it as 50% The Sims, 50% The Settlers with a multiplayer mode and a great sandbox mode. Great Game!
  3. Dec 16, 2011
    This game is addictive. It has a bit of of everything rolled into it. Simulation, RTS, Econ trader etc... If you like games similar to "The Patrician series", The Settlers, Dawn of Discovery and other games with classical settings you can't go wrong with this choice. It still has some bugs and I recommend going to Runeforge's website and getting the latest beta patch for it; it will help.This game is addictive. It has a bit of of everything rolled into it. Simulation, RTS, Econ trader etc... If you like games similar to "The Patrician series", The Settlers, Dawn of Discovery and other games with classical settings you can't go wrong with this choice. It still has some bugs and I recommend going to Runeforge's website and getting the latest beta patch for it; it will help. Renaissance can be a bit slow paced for the modern gamer and it has a lot of balance issues among the classes. Rogues and scholars being the easiest groups to succeed with. A steep learning curve will put a lot of people off but it isn't really a hard game as much as there is just too little information on the net or in game to help you along. The maps aren't the best as they are small and poorly designed and most of the mods died with the Jowood forums when they tanked.

If you can find it in the $5-7 range it's worth a look.
  4. May 17, 2011
    Rewarding fun game thats highly unusual even now. Its not for someone who would rather be playing Need for speed shift on an xbox but then, if you like that you probably wouldnt bother with pc gaming to start with. One thing to bear in mind. Its deep. There is a great deal to do and much minutae to deal with which can be a bit exasperating at times. But it is nice to have a nice openRewarding fun game thats highly unusual even now. Its not for someone who would rather be playing Need for speed shift on an xbox but then, if you like that you probably wouldnt bother with pc gaming to start with. One thing to bear in mind. Its deep. There is a great deal to do and much minutae to deal with which can be a bit exasperating at times. But it is nice to have a nice open world and environment to play in and very few limitations if you have the time and strategy with which to back up your in game aspiration. Expand
  5. JCB
    Feb 8, 2012
    Has a few big bugs, but nothing game breaking. Immersion breaking, sure, but nothing that'll kill your game. Also, it probably appeals to a very small group of people...definitely a niche game. But I personally love it, and it'd get a 10/10 if it weren't for the bugs.
  6. egn
    Feb 20, 2014
    This addon finally and fully realized the latent potential of The Guild, smoothing out a lot of the bumps that marred an otherwise-great game. The Whole bundle can be got on steam now for a really reasonable price: Well worth it.
  7. May 14, 2013
    I really love this game.because it shows the past people life and you can do a lot of things in this game.I recommend this game to every one

1. The Guild 2: Renaissance retains the good features of previous editions and includes a few improvements without justifying the existence of this new version. It is still a fun title that does not require the original version to be installed, but should only be considered if you are a true follower of the series. Otherwise, you may have to wait for a collector's edition that may include all the previous titles.
  2. "Expansions" like this one should be released as patches or included as bonus in reprints of the original game.
  3. Although far from perfect, this stand-alone add-on delivers at least a thoroughly playable The Guild 2-experience. It adds some new professions and maps to the game that fit perfectly into the system. But most of all, the young developers have managed to eradicate most of the bugs of the main game and the horrible expansion Venice. Plus, the network code now actually works! There are still typical errors like trade carts being stuck or graphical glitches. But the developers have succeeded in carving out the core game experience of The Guild 2 under all of the bugs and design flaws of recent years.