• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Oct 12, 2006
6.9

1. Aug 13, 2011
    The Sims on steroids; The Guild 2 is a unique game in many ways but falls short of being a fun game. I have a hard time deciding whether or not I like it. On one side, it's comes across as a relaxing simulator but on the other side, there's quite a bit of pressure on you to be omnipresent. You can automate some the production once you acquire property but I never had the feeling that the AI was doing a very good job given how I kept going bankrupt. Your accountants aren't doing a very good job either, they'd make grade-A embezzlers with the kind of books they keep. It is very difficult to tell exactly what certain expenses mean, leaving you often wondering why you're losing so much money and what you can do about it. Later on I learned to manage production myself but with several businesses, this turned into a micromanagement circus that made the game lose the appeal it had before. I can't honestly imagine someone owning an entire town and fighting a feud with 7 other families and still enjoying this game. The interface could be better. You will often run into buttons hidden underneath buttons hidden underneath yet more buttons. Some actions being context dependent, requiring your character to be in a certain place before you can issue the order, making giving orders a frustrating task at times. Information is spread all over the place and requires you to click a lot to find out what you want to know. Events often take place with you not being present partially because time moves by rather fast while your characters are very slow in comparison. They move at real-life speed while the game burns through a life time in less than a few hours.. Even after several hours of playing, it is not very clear to me how exactly time goes by in this game. It seems that each year is made up out of 4 seasons and once all 4 seasons have gone by, the turn ends. Once the turn ends, you're suddenly 4 years further into the game! . Once your character dies, hopefully you'll have fathered (or mothered) a heir by then which be a combination of both parents to continue your dynasty from where you'll start all over training your character until it's their time to produce a heir. Given how quickly characters age, it is easy to lose sight of what exactly you had in mind for your children when you're already working on the next generation of heirs, micromanaging several buildings, keeping track of politics, fighting feuds, attending church and clicking your way through inefficient menus with an inefficient control scheme. All in all, The Guild 2 has some very interesting ideas and the mixture of RPG, RTS and (building) simulator that will appeal to people who enjoy the idea of the Sims but would like to witness a few beheadings every now and then. Expand
  2. Mar 25, 2011
    once you get over the bugs/glitches, language problems, corny npc romancing discussion this games would be one of the most unique, interesting and engrossing games ive played. As the player you start a family with 1 member, choosing a career path and depending on that you choose how you want set up businesses, who to employ etc, there is also politics to get into and rival 'dynasties' that need to be taken care of. There is an element of charm all over it and nothing beats in the game bribing political supporters or jurys for a court trial to gain leverage, or perhaps leading an assassination against a rival dynasty member.

I give it a 7/10 based on all factors of the game, but if i were to rate the gameplay ideas and the world environment, it would easily be a 10
  3. May 17, 2011
    Extremely deep and intricate gameplay so probably not for the xbox crowd that may have an old pc tucked away. My friends 14 year old son hates it. But his father (my friend) and I, both keen gamers for many years and we love it. Its deep and you have total freedom to do as you would. Dont expect it to be easy or in anyway for lightweight. Its deep, you have to concerntrate (dont bother getting this if you have ADHD) and its doesnt have car chases or explosions. If you like games which actually reward you for playing strategically yet still ooze atmosphere and some graphical charm its still a good game. Expand
  4. egn
    Feb 20, 2014
    This is a great game, overall. It is also a highly ambitious title that is and was, sadly, plagued by large amounts of bugs right from the get-go. The bugs really really held the game back. But at the same time, there's a game there that wants to be loved. In its present state, as can be purchased on Steam, the game is well worth grabbing a copy of!

While fans of the original and people who are intrigued by the ins-and-outs of rising in a social ladder will enjoy the game, there isn’t enough to grab newcomer’s attention, and everything does become quite overwhelming at times.
  2. It looks fairly dated, and is only really for the devotee of life-sim games, feeling as it does like a semi-precious curiosity. [Dec 2006, p.68]
  3. The Guild 2 is an open-ended game that has a great concept and carries it almost to full fruition. Unfortunately, some frustrating bugs mar the package.