The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing PC

8.2

1. Nov 29, 2013
    The glowing reviews are almost understandable. It's a pretty good game, it just falls short by just thaaaat much of being great.

At first the combat system made no sense, "what are these modifiers for my left and right clicks?" What's going on!? And then it makes sense and it's very exciting, a nifty system that I really like. But, here's where it falls short: It's really really limited in practice. You have rage as a resource and even though you have two bars of it, they both are depleted regardless of which skill you use. It would have been much better if each skill had it's own bar so you could juggle abilities. As it stands, you basically choose what you want to use and then you build up more rage by killing things. After you play for a while you really begin to feel how limiting it is to use basic attacks instead of combo attacks due to the rage system.

The class system is also pretty cool, but again it falls just short as you have to heavily invest in a just a few skills, so even though there are various options, you will find that you've gotten a bit tired of the same skills after hours of play, aka there's little variety unless you spend all your money to respec.

Mobs are another good/bad aspect of this game. The good is that bosses are interesting, very fun fights. The bad is that everything else even "special" mobs are boring, really boring. They just run up to you and that's it. Now, yes, it is an ARPG, and that's generally what happens in ARPGs, but I'm speaking very literally here. There's no mob variety in terms of what they do. They don't charge or teleport, or run away, or do anything. They just hit you. It's a real shame because the boss fights are actually top notch for the ARPG world.

Music is also good/bad. At times it really fits the mood and then it goes off on this tangent where you feel like you're waiting in line for a Disneyland ride. Really odd dichotomy, threw me off.

Lots of features and systems in place, nothing really cool happens with them. Alchemy, forging, stat buffs. It feels like they had a checklist of "things to add to the game" and then they did it, but they never put thought into them to make them special. I would have preferred only 1-2 systems, but done exceptionally well, maybe something that plays off of the combo system I dunno.

Anyway, for the price it's worth giving it a go. I would say most ARPG fans will enjoy it, even if it's just a small bit of fun before you move on to another game with a bit more depth.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    Good RPG in the vein of Dungeon Siege.
    Click and slash your way through hordes of monsters while picking up items and such.
    The atmosphere is well done as a Victorian/steam punk world with science gone wrong. This is despite some odd modern culture references which do feel out of place (although the Hitch Hikers Guide reference did make me laugh). The main problem is that it becomes a
    Good RPG in the vein of Dungeon Siege.
    The main problem is that it becomes a bit repetitive later on as some areas are enormous. Don't get me wrong, it is not boring but after a while I started craving for something different. I guess Diablo fans won't mind it too much.
    What you cannot argue with is the price. It is cheap and you get a lot of game for very little money. A LOT!
    Not the best game out there but well worth the asking price.
  3. Jun 3, 2013
    The more I play Van Helsing the more I like Torchligth 2. Reasons here: http://www.viewforum.net/gaming-dept-171/incredible-adventures-van-helsing-great-expectations-game-review-3359/
  4. Oct 2, 2013
    This was quite a pleasant surprise for a game that game out of nowhere (at least I haven't heard anything about it until it came out). Interesting story, fun characters and dialog. it was a bit short for an rpg but every bit was fun. The game is a bit hardware hungry if you want to run it on high settings and the final boss is hard to finish of.
  5. May 24, 2013
    Good game but far from great Unfortunately the game lacks polish. The game has poor replayability and becomes predictable. As about the graphics they are ok but it is plagued by lacking shadows and some low quality textures. Music is forgettable and speech is bad
  6. Jun 7, 2014
    This game is pretty good for the amount of money you have to pay.

It really lives up to the hack and slash genre. The graphics are really nice and the scenery is awesome. The spirit companion is a nice touch also where you can customize her to your play style. The talent tree's are nicely done and the loot system is like diablo 2. Few things I wish they did better was adding more
    This game is pretty good for the amount of money you have to pay.

Few things I wish they did better was adding more combat animations! I was really getting tired of seeing the same 3 or 4 swings over and over and over and over again. If they added a few critical hit animations, that would have been nice.

The town could have been done better with more interaction or a reason to care for the villagers.

But, as I stated earlier. The game is really good for $15.00.
  7. Jul 15, 2013
    This game has good and bad things, just like every other game, but let's start with the good ones.

It's not an easy game, but you don't need to grind. Sometimes you will feel like hitting a wall, enemies get a lot stronger, but you can catch up after some minutes of fight, and death maybe Skills. When I started the game, I was like "wow, I can use just that?", and then I realized that

Skills. When I started the game, I was like "wow, I can use just that?", and then I realized that "just that" was more than enough to make me happy
    Great follower. If you played Diablo 3, you know that the follower is just there to be useless. But your follower in this game is outstanding. She is strong, has tons of auras to help you and dies hard, can loot items for you too

But there are bad stuff:

Sounds are bad. The voice acting sucks, so does the music after the first hour
    Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong loading screens. Really, I think I spent more time in loading screens than playing the game. When I die, I prefer to pay a bit of my gold and get up in the same map than have to go to the base and face 2 loading screens
    Story doesn't matter. I expected more from that. The story is bad, I'm almost in the end of the game and I don't know why I'm playing

Some people complain about the multiplayer. It doesn't really matter for me, I like playing alone. When they released the game, it was not working, but some patches made it decent. There is still a problem or two though

The game can offer hours of fun, just don't let the poor story and the loading screens let you down
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    Szkoda że Val Helsing nie ukazał się rok temu. Miałbym dużą radochę patrząc jak taki mały "pierdek" próbuje konkurować z Diablo III czy Torchlichtem 2. Powiem od razu, zawiodłem się totalnie. Co prawda, nie oczekiwałem od tej gry czegoś wielkiego, jednak nie spodziewałem się że będzie to głównie kłębek pomysłów z Tochlicht'a czy z Diablo III. Fabuła jest totalnie nudnawa, dialogi robioneSzkoda że Val Helsing nie ukazał się rok temu. Miałbym dużą radochę patrząc jak taki mały "pierdek" próbuje konkurować z Diablo III czy Torchlichtem 2. Powiem od razu, zawiodłem się totalnie. Co prawda, nie oczekiwałem od tej gry czegoś wielkiego, jednak nie spodziewałem się że będzie to głównie kłębek pomysłów z Tochlicht'a czy z Diablo III. Fabuła jest totalnie nudnawa, dialogi robione tak aby można było łatwo zasnąć przed komputerem. Do tego mapy, czy głównie spawny przeciwników. Strasznie dużo czasu straciłem na bezmyślnym klikaniu klawiszy myszki. Twórcy po prostu bezmyślnie rozplanowali walkę. Co prawda pojawia się tu parę ciekawych pomysłów, ale spawnowanie 20 przeciwników jest głupie. Samo przeprowadzanie kampanii, brak jakiegokolwiek pokazania celu na mapie jest strasznie denerwujące. Zdarza się że trzeba 20 minut biegać głupio po mapie żeby wreszcie znaleźć miejsce o którym myśleli twórcy. Do tego bugi, niedopracowania i momentami szpetna grafika. Co prawda, ogólnie grafika wygląda dość fajnie, mrocznie i nie tak słabo jak w Diablo czy Torchlich'cie. Rozgrywkę da się czasami przeżyć, czasami walczy się nawet przyjemnie, jednak oczekiwałbym czegoś więcej. Moja ocena 6/10 Expand
  9. ave
    Feb 11, 2015
    I decided to play The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing after viewing the trailer, and getting some exhaustion from Diablo III and Torchlight 2. This one seemed to be a decent Hack & Slash, with a nice twist regarding the setting of central Europa and possibly legions of blood-sucking foes.

In this game, you play a single character, Van Helsing, who is followed by a ghostly teammate, Katarina. You don't have to choose a class before playing, and just develop your character along the way, using several skill trees.

Basically, you can eradicate a significant amount of monsters by using either a sword or a gun. Each weapon has its specific skill tree with numerous styles of slashes and shots. Each one can be leveled up, or customized with additional powers, triggered by Rage. Also, you can wander in the side of magic by learning strikes blending physical and magical damage, even pure magical damage. If not enough, you can learn passive abilities and active spells, that can take advantage of some specific situations or simply save your butt - leaving you with a fair amount of combinations to craft.

The amount of damage you do or can endure is proportional to basic weapon and armor stats, plus the different levels of your character stats and skills, combined with the multiple bonuses you can get from gear. Very similar to Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. So don't fall in love with that particular weapon or gear if the next one is seamingly up a notch, the impact could be tremendous.

On top of that, your translucent female sidekick is not only witty, but can be used either as a melee fighter, a ranged shooter or a decent support. She also can level up and has her own gear and skill tree to become a tactical partner or a stat multiplier.

At this point, it's pretty clear that this game targets an audience that loves to analyse how hundred skills relate to each other, carefully crafting the most badass character possible, something like "hit once, obliterate many". It's a good thing to have a significant amount of depth that way (remember Titan Quest !) but for me it was just like "too much". So I decided to focus on a restricted number of skills, low enough to keep me focused on the actual map cleaning.

The game is linear, with some quests on the side. The levels are not really beautiful but varied, and the enemies compensate lack of intelligence by sheer number. Luckily, the dialog between Van Helsing and Katarina are funny so you can have a good time playing them.

Something that kinda puzzled me was the introduction of a micro-game of Tower Defense. Not that it wasn't interesting or refreshing, but it seemed that the developers decided to put everything remotely cool in the game, thus pushing it in the Land of Blended Genre where chances of survival are slim. Luckily, the Tower Defense micro-game is nicely done, but too much thin for consideration.

Overall, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is a good Hack & Slash, that can satisfy seasoned players, but could be daunting to newcomers.
  10. Jul 20, 2013
    If this game had any kind of real endgame (the scenario mode is very flat and uninspired imo) or NG+, I'd easily rank this behind Torchlight 2 for best recent game in genre for the less hardcore crowd that PoE doesn't appeal to. Game is fun, and there's some decent comedy but it has plenty of flaws. Short (only 10 hours or so), very basic (only 2 skill active skill slots, only 2 treesIf this game had any kind of real endgame (the scenario mode is very flat and uninspired imo) or NG+, I'd easily rank this behind Torchlight 2 for best recent game in genre for the less hardcore crowd that PoE doesn't appeal to. Game is fun, and there's some decent comedy but it has plenty of flaws. Short (only 10 hours or so), very basic (only 2 skill active skill slots, only 2 trees ranged/melee, lacks class/build options of other hack & slash games), and is essentially done once you beat the final boss. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next edition but will again wait for a sale. Expand
  11. Sep 1, 2013
    Nice idea. Nice visuals. Gameplay okay. Music nice.

Bad QA/QC, poor optimisation, variable voice acting (some very poor), some questionable design (e.g. skills/perks).
  12. May 27, 2014
    It's a decent ARPG game with multiplayer elements and some interesting ideas added in it. I played through the whole story and, for my disappointment, 90% of the loot that dropped at the final boss only could be equipped for classes available at the DLC contents. It was worth a playthrough.
  13. Jun 26, 2013
    A enjoyable hack an slash game, which was excellently priced. It had a lot better setting than both Diablo III and Torchlight 2, but it wasn't quite as polished in terms of gameplay as these games, but I preferred it overall and I will play the sequel.

I am not into loot based aspect of these type of games, as I only tend to play through them once as I find them rather repetitive, but I like RPG's as a genre, it was a nice touch doing a tower defence section, but I hate that style of game, but I will give credit to the developers to there continued support of the game unlike so other developers.
  14. Jul 23, 2015
    If there would be no gaming sites, I would have returned this games after 30 mins of gameplay. The beginning is just stupid. It feels like a chore: kill monsters, monsters kill you, you back to town, buff/buy, travel back and start again. In short: dying, walking back, walking back, walking back, dying, walking back, walking back. REALLY boring. If I did not read on a site that later itIf there would be no gaming sites, I would have returned this games after 30 mins of gameplay. The beginning is just stupid. It feels like a chore: kill monsters, monsters kill you, you back to town, buff/buy, travel back and start again. In short: dying, walking back, walking back, walking back, dying, walking back, walking back. REALLY boring. If I did not read on a site that later it gets better, I would've left it screaming.
    The game itself is not bad after a while, it keeps you gaming for a while, the story isn't bad, the desing neither, still there are major problems with it. Most of them could have been avoided with a little care, a little attention to details. Let's see them.

If there is a slapstick for games, then this is it... At least as the controls and wayfinding goes. The same button for going and fighting. Ridiculous. If you want to runaway from a crowd (50% of the game consists of this, like fkin Benny Hill), and you accidentally click on any enemy, it stops and stares and fights... And you die, most of the time. Whoever thought of this... Same goes for holding the LMB, that should mean constant going/running. Yes, just as long as your cursor is not above any enemy, because then Mr. V. H. stops and fights again. And you die. Again. God knows I don't like Diablo 3, but they could make it work. BTW if you have Second Chance, you have 4 seconds to run away as a ghost, sadly the mouse button holding running won't work here, hell knows why. It just stops and stays there. You can click only.
    You should use the arrow keys for walking, but for that you would need another hand. It feels like a bad port from a console.

The wayfinding is maybe the most annoying thing in the game, and there are many other annoying things to count. You run away, again, and you suddenly blocked by the Mighty Huge Monster Streetlamp. And Mr. V. H. stops... Or be it the Humongous Blade of Grass Monster. Most of the time you run in tubes, be it in the forest or in the street. Still the devs couldn't make that tube flat. It has to have something to collide with you, and so you stop. Again.
    If you go up a stair and you hold the mouse over an area that is beyond the stair, the game thinks you want to come down and you come down. This should be an ACTION RPG, where you move/run constantly and fight (e.g. action), but in IVH the move is never continuous. Something always has to happen to break your impetus.

Another wonder when an object in the foregroung hides the view behind it. Battle happens, you in it, but you see nothing of it. Slapstick, I tell you.

IVH is filled with bugs. Not just the elevator problem, when Mr. V. H. flies up after the platform, or another when Miss Lady Katarina windles into a bush and freezes there, but more serious ones. Like a not working exit or when the exit won't even show up. And there is no help, nothing tells you that is it a bug or is it normal. Nothing is explained here. This is another miss on the part of the devs: they made a world, a universe as it is trendy to say nowadays, but they've forgot to explain it to us. There is no introduction to the game system, no manual, nothing. A few frases in pop-up windows and that is it... You left with trial and error or google.

I played the french translation (no voices, of course), that is partly translated. The rest remained in english, item names, subs, etc. Sometimes even the coding variables show up instead of object/parameter names. BTW, is it Borgova or Borgovia?

Ok, I understand the jokes, the quirky/teasing Lady, 42, Tesla, the imps, the Lugosi River and many other geeky reference and I liked them, but the game should work as a game nonetheless. Also the look of it is not on par with the specs needed. The 3d design is OK, but the 2d cutscenes are horrendous. They should have used the 3d for the cutscenes, too. It looks like a game from 2006, but runs on my rig from 2013 around 19-20 fps, far from maxed out...

All in all this is not a bad game, but it feels like a beta version, something unfinished. Indy games should not be amateur games, but pro games on a lower budget. All the problems listed by me could have been fixed by paying attention, without extra expenses (except the dub, of course).
  15. Dec 2, 2013
    Well, in my opinion The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is a little bit a waste of time. But if you really like hack'and'slash games you will enjoy it. Also the voice acting is very good and humorous.
  16. Oct 26, 2013
    This is overall a nice game. But I can't get a grip on the story of the game. Though I haven't gotten far in the game, but I haven't found any Cinematic. But still, good game-play and cool graphics and PhysX. So for me its 10/7. By the way, I am not an ARPG fan. So I didn't enjoy games like Diablo III. But I do like this one! So it's a must have for all those ARPG fans. But for me, it's nice.
  17. Jul 5, 2015
    Van Helsing is an aRPG set in the mythical land of Borgovia. If you've played Grim Dawn, Diablo or Torchlight you'll be familiar with the gameplay. The game does have a unique ability system though, as you fight you gain rage which can be spent to powerup your abilities. For example lets say you're using a lightning spell, powering it up may cause enemies to be shocked, or it may increaseVan Helsing is an aRPG set in the mythical land of Borgovia. If you've played Grim Dawn, Diablo or Torchlight you'll be familiar with the gameplay. The game does have a unique ability system though, as you fight you gain rage which can be spent to powerup your abilities. For example lets say you're using a lightning spell, powering it up may cause enemies to be shocked, or it may increase the number of enemies hit. A powered up spell only has one charge and can be activated with the spacebar, although this becomes tedious very fast and I'd wager 99.9% of people have this set to auto cast whenever available. The game allows you to set up powerup presets so you can very much set it and forget it and the game will automatically boost the chosen ability(s) whenever you have sufficient rage. Apart from that it's your usual aRPG fare, you have a standard talent tree with forks and paths, passive abilities and stat points which allow you to customise your character further.

When you create your character you have the choice of three classes, the Arcane Mechanic who is an engineer archetype, the Thaumaturge who is a mage and finally the Hunter who is the iconic poster child for the series. All classes can have two different weapon sets which can be swapped on the fly, and the Hunter can also specialise in either melee or range attacks.

Throughout the game you're accompanied by your ghostly companion, Katarina. She works very much like the Torchlight pet, she can pick up items, fight for you and even be sent back to town to sell and buy which saves you the bother! She also has her own stats and talent tree, you can either build her to become stronger herself, or build her as a complete buff bot which will give you lots of powerful auras. Usefulness aside she's actually a big part of the game, and the banter between you and her is often really enjoyable, the voice acting for both Van Helsing and Katarina is top notch (the same can't be said for all the characters though!).

The story will take around 15 hours to complete which is decent, but beyond that there's not much reason to continuing playing at max level. You do unlock scenarios which are basically dungeons with over levelled mobs which makes for a stiffer challenge and supposed higher rewards (I didn't get anything of worth) but there's no real point as the loot is lacking, which is a pretty big deal in an aRPG and why I didn't score the game higher. During my playthrough I saw a total of three legendary items and barely upgraded my gear at all, plus the items are all very generic and frankly boring. There was no excitement when an item dropped. You're also able to gamble for items with gold, but once again I never got anything of worth. I will say that this has been improved in the second game, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II which I started after finishing the first game so I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed this massive flaw.

Technically the game is fine, most quests have voice acting which isn't always a given for this genre, especially from the smaller studios, and while not perfect it is pretty funny at times and there are plenty of references to other games and TV shows which I enjoyed. Graphically the game is OK, it's a couple of years old and wouldn't have been anything to rave about back then, but it's fine, and it performs well, I was able to maintain 60fps on ultra without dips (as you'd expect from an older game on a GTX 970). The audio is decent and the voice acting is good for the main characters and acceptable for the supporting cast, the game doesn't take itself too seriously in this department and you will find yourself smiling throughout the game at the silly things that are said.

Overall it's a decent aRPG with some major flaws that prevent it from being more than decent but if you can grab it at 75% off in a Steam sale I would say go ahead and buy it, you'll get your monies worth at that price and while it's not perfect, it is an enjoyable experience. The devs are also still supporting the game two years later, and plan to bring out a "Final Cut" of all three games with new features and a more streamlined experience, this will be free if you own all three games already. If you're interested in the series it may be smart to wait until September to play it as the Final Cut will be released then.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. PC Gamer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.