8.3

1. Nov 4, 2014
    An excellent game, much like Diablo 2 and Torchlight. Good story, great combat, superb skill tree, excellent companion mechanics, excellent voice acting, very good graphics (like dungeon siege). Highly recommended.
  2. Jun 2, 2014
    The game play is amazing with the fighting to interchanging weapons and not to mention a ghost fighting along your side. I love it I give it a healthy 9 I would of gave it a ten but the maps kinda annoying. Other than that I cant get enough of it!!!!!!
  3. May 27, 2014
    What I liked :
    - Design / Graphics from the setting to the background world to the monster and weapon design.
    - Characters especially Katarina she is awesome.
    - The Price.

What I liked less :
    - Some spell and weapon skill effects.
    - Nothing else.
  4. Apr 25, 2014
    Very good game. Very interesting. Very fun to play. Very good story-line. I recommend this game to people from 12 years to 25 years. i love this game so much
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    For all the bad games that came out this past year this is a winner, finally. Diablo like in gameplay but different and enjoyable. Pay the 20 bucks get the whole enchilada or wait for summer sale. This is a must buy for a fun good gaming experience. Its not going to blow you away by any means but everything is solid and not overwehelming to a gamer. Enjoy I have.
  6. Jan 29, 2014
    This may not be the most beautiful game ever but it really is an hidden gem. Great art design, fun gameplay, interesting story and a lot of references to movies... I just love the dialogue between Van Helsing and Katarina !
    It really deserves to be known !
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    For a $15 indie action RPG it doesn't get much better than this. The steampunk atmosphere and the Van Helsing lore are nicely done (not to mention the witty banter between you and your companion). The game play is solid and the few bugs I could find were quickly corrected in the first patch. The DLC is good (the second skill tree for your companion and two new playable classes). IFor a $15 indie action RPG it doesn't get much better than this. The steampunk atmosphere and the Van Helsing lore are nicely done (not to mention the witty banter between you and your companion). The game play is solid and the few bugs I could find were quickly corrected in the first patch. The DLC is good (the second skill tree for your companion and two new playable classes). I especially liked the ability to respect both you and your companion’s abilities points (both attributes and skills). The endless story mode that was added compliments the scenarios nicely once you've completed the story through in single player.

I was a bit confused by some of the lower critics scores (the ones below 70 especially). This title stands pretty well against some of its larger competitors.

I haven't played the multiplayer at all, so my opinions are bases solely on single player.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is amazing.I saw in this game thing which I havent seen in any other game.Congrats Neocore, great ideas with enchanting, the story is very good too.I give you 11 from 10..excelent job guys.I have no patience to level up to 27-30 and try the PvP System. Expand
  9. Dec 2, 2013
    Really a good game. Is not as deep as Diablo, but the gameplay is good, and the number of objects is huge. I really enjoyed the play of this game. I recommend it.
  10. Nov 29, 2013
    Every so often (not often enough for my liking) a game comes along that makes me smile. This is one of them, a real sparkler of a gem. Polished graphics, story, music and action aplenty. Best of all very addictive with a massive replay value, and very simple controls. My type of game.

Top notch stuff!
  11. Nov 21, 2013
    Unbelievable what this team has produced and at such an affordable price.. ignore the flamers this game is great fun and a huge value. you can do the best of everything all in one.. they really paid attention to detail.
  12. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. Expand
  13. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow! I very impressed! This is really cool game. This game developed with love to details. Gameplay highly balanced. Graphic and art style very stylish and atmospheric. I highly recommend this game for all Hack-n-slash, acton RPG and Diablo fans.
  14. Sep 18, 2013
    The enviroment in Van Helsing is beautiful, although trees and fauna don't blow in the wind, Mobs tend to line up for you when they attack.. but beautiful art style, lovely particle effects and interesting events and story. Its clear this game is a labour of love and they've really pulled out the stops.

Im not that far in, but so far, its got great atmosphere, the chatter between

Im not that far in, but so far, its got great atmosphere, the chatter between Katarina and VH raises a smile and everything is clearly laid out. If i was to say anything at all.. it would be that in the heat of battle its hard to tell whose who with spells, lighting going everywhere, so make sure you keep an eye on healing.

Great Work Guys.. looking forward to new DLC and improvements.
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    Such a great game, in an amazing setting, full filled with myths combined in a steampunk universe.
    I really liked the new skill powerups and the unforgetable Katarina who served as a great help, besides she's jokes and voice acting.

Waiting for the new sequel
  16. Aug 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game. Gameplay, levels, skills and weapon variability are really good and progression is enjoyable. But the best thing in this game is humor.
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    Ok, in the world of hack and slash this game is an absolute gem. I can't fail it at all. It has all:

1. Great enveronments
    2. Fast responsive gameplay
    3. Deep skill tree
    4. Amazing music!!!!
    5. Great sound effects and voice work
    6. Unique universe
    7. Exciting narrative
    8. Price is really TOO low.

Thank you devs for making such an amazing game.
  18. Aug 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It is beautifully designed and looks very polished. The Eastern European/Slavic fantasy setting is really interesting and fits the scenario perfectly. The voice acting is well done, especially Katarina's comments made me chuckle a few times. The item crafting system is a lot of fun to experiment with. Nitpicks: Van Helsing looks a bit weird, especially when youI really enjoyed this game. It is beautifully designed and looks very polished. The Eastern European/Slavic fantasy setting is really interesting and fits the scenario perfectly. The voice acting is well done, especially Katarina's comments made me chuckle a few times. The item crafting system is a lot of fun to experiment with. Nitpicks: Van Helsing looks a bit weird, especially when you get him new gear. My avatar ended up looking more like a circus cowboy than a monster hunter. The Level Ups could be more visible (at times, I only realized I had leveled up when I was already halfway through the EXP bar again). The ending comes a little abruptly. I was sad when the game was over, but I guess that's a good sign. One playthrough takes about 12-15 hours. I didn't get all the abilities unlocked and didn't do all the quests so I would say it's good for another go. Looking forward to the sequel. Expand
  19. Aug 15, 2013
    Combat was different, sometimes fighting dozens of mobs at once, I finished the game and very much enjoyed it, but haven't play it again after that, so something was lacking for me or I just have too many choices. 8) Other friends on Steam seemed to have stopped playing it once finished also, so I am probably not alone.
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking,
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking, just a little bit too repetitive.
    Definitely recommended though, played longer than many games 2-4x the price.
  20. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is really good to play and has a great story and good graphics. And it is not so expensive as so many other games. I play through the game about 5-20 hours :)

So buy the game :D
  21. Jul 24, 2013
    Great hack'n'slash game with nice graphics, and perfect dialogs! The scenario is good as well. I expected something like that from DIablo3, and I hope Neocore will make more DLCs in future.
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    Unbelievable graphics and all the fun I wished both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 had... completely missed the game at launch, ignored it when I was checking through steam games until it was on sale and took a chance; now my favourite game of recent time and it runs flawlessly good on a overclocked GT555m XPS 17 (810mhz with 9v unlocked bios) even with shadows set to maximum, highest characterUnbelievable graphics and all the fun I wished both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 had... completely missed the game at launch, ignored it when I was checking through steam games until it was on sale and took a chance; now my favourite game of recent time and it runs flawlessly good on a overclocked GT555m XPS 17 (810mhz with 9v unlocked bios) even with shadows set to maximum, highest character details and AA enabled! Expand
  23. Jul 17, 2013
    Aside from all players in multiplayer games looking exactly the same and playing the exact same character the game feels and plays amazing! Great graphics, great story, awesome gameplay and loot. Highly recommend this game, especially for the price.
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    Great fun especially now that co-ops in and working. Stunning graphics simple but not too simple combat plenty of loot that lacks variety but is still pretty BA looking at endgame compared to what you started with. There are some pretty bad voice actors but Katerina and Van Helsing are done well and the scripts nothing out of the ordinary but still is better than a lot of recent ARPGs.Great fun especially now that co-ops in and working. Stunning graphics simple but not too simple combat plenty of loot that lacks variety but is still pretty BA looking at endgame compared to what you started with. There are some pretty bad voice actors but Katerina and Van Helsing are done well and the scripts nothing out of the ordinary but still is better than a lot of recent ARPGs.

For 11 bucks this an amazing deal
  25. Jul 8, 2013
    I picked this little gem up to tide me over for a little bit between big blockbuster releases and it does not disappoint. As far as bang for the buck it's very good. Will it compete with triple A productions like Diablo? No, it will not. However for about 25% of the cost of Diablo you can get a wildly enjoyable game.

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such ridiculous hordes of monsters in any action RPG I've ever played. The sheer volume of critters coming at you is mind blowing and there's a surprising degree of depth in the build options and itemization. Crafting is pretty lightweight, but enjoyable and I wasted multiple hours trying to build the perfect weapons in my play through.

It will not have the replayability of multi-characer D3, but it's a solid 10 game for the money.
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    A well-made action-RPG with a good balanced gameplay, high dynamics, awesome setting and a good humor. It has a few technical glitches, poor endgame but it doesn't matter you get ~20 hours of awesome gameplay for only 15$. This game's big advantage is that it's actually fun to play. It doesn't offer you a deep intriguing story, but it offers a few puzzles, dialogues between Van HelsingA well-made action-RPG with a good balanced gameplay, high dynamics, awesome setting and a good humor. It has a few technical glitches, poor endgame but it doesn't matter you get ~20 hours of awesome gameplay for only 15$. This game's big advantage is that it's actually fun to play. It doesn't offer you a deep intriguing story, but it offers a few puzzles, dialogues between Van Helsing and Katarina which in most cases make you smile, decent voice acting in terms of interaction with NPCs.

Also I'd rather not compare it with Diablo or Torchlight, because they are endgame-oriented games, unlike Van Helsing. Also it's ridiculous how people call D3's or (Critics have mercy) Torchlight's story better. D3's story fits ~2 hours of gameplay on normal mode, after that you can simply repeat it 3 more times (don't forget the grind for gear and 2nd/3rs classes or hardcore, so maybe it'll be 5, 7, 10, 20 times) of exactly the same story. How's that a better story? Who watches the same a movie 5 times in a row however good it is? And Torchlight 2's story is linear and absolutely uninteresting with an attempt for a "twist" in the end which actually at first left me in a confusion, because it's ending was sucked out of vacuum and almost not related to everything we've seen before.
  27. Jun 30, 2013
    So i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diabloSo i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diablo 2 was understandable for its much smaller disk space but now it was just a dumb excuse to be cheap). The "helpers" were completely unbalanced and so stupidly useless after a certain point. All in all diablo 3 was an insanely retarded game considering the price and being it was made by a HUGE company. Yet the critics gave it HUGE ratings while actual players gave them terrible ratings. While here in this game its vice versa (hmmm... wierd). You have a game that is MUCH better visually and even in sound and is incredibly fun plus much bigger and finally the cost is less than a third of what diablo 3 was. So why would a game that is 3 times better than diablo 3 and costing 3 times less be rated 72/100 when diablo was 88/100. My point is video game critics have NO credibility anymore. stick to user ratings. Expand
  28. Jun 11, 2013
    A great game for a good price, I very liked playing with it. In my opinion it's better than Torchlight 1 & 2 (who are great too), It's also a good alternative to Diablo III.
  29. Jun 7, 2013
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

I was a little skeptic against the Van Helsing franchise because I thought this would be a game trying to use the title to attract some audience.. Oh boy, wasn't I wrong? This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG market..

The level design is better than both D3 and TL2 and with the help of great music, game creates a great atmosphere. Maps suck you in an you want to investigate every corner of the game. Skill tree is a little basic but it covers the main areas that are indispensable for the genre. Voice acting has some amateur taste to it but the dry humor throughout the game shows that developers don't take themselves very seriously. They obviously tried to create a great looking fun game and nailed it.

The whole experience reminded me the first time a played Witcher and how pleasantly surprised I was with a game from an unknown studio. I will keep supporting this game by buying whatever DLC they release and I'm hoping these guys will follow the footsteps of CD Projekt RED and make enough money to come up with an epic sequel.
  30. Jun 7, 2013
    Great game! 20-30 hours for one play through. Multiple skills, abilities, and variety of enemies. Better than most games being put out now.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.