The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing PC

8.2

1. Oct 2, 2013
    This was quite a pleasant surprise for a game that game out of nowhere (at least I haven't heard anything about it until it came out). Interesting story, fun characters and dialog. it was a bit short for an rpg but every bit was fun. The game is a bit hardware hungry if you want to run it on high settings and the final boss is hard to finish of.
  2. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty fun ARPG, which becomes pretty tedious by the end (and seems that the last part of the game was made less well than the beginning), the story is nothing special, the ending is poor. But you have an awesome female ghost with a sexy accent. The setting and atmosphere are rather interesting and unusual. Overall the game is pretty enjoyable and better than Diablo 3. I'll be lookingA pretty fun ARPG, which becomes pretty tedious by the end (and seems that the last part of the game was made less well than the beginning), the story is nothing special, the ending is poor. But you have an awesome female ghost with a sexy accent. The setting and atmosphere are rather interesting and unusual. Overall the game is pretty enjoyable and better than Diablo 3. I'll be looking forward to pt. 2. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2016
    I love ARPGs, specifically Diablolikes, and Van Helsing part 1 is no exception. This gore-spattered romp through an alternate Eastern Europe awash with mythical beasts and weird science features much more in the way of character interaction then most titles in the Diablolike genre, casting the player as an established monster hunter of fiction (or his son, anyway: a lot of NPCs make thisI love ARPGs, specifically Diablolikes, and Van Helsing part 1 is no exception. This gore-spattered romp through an alternate Eastern Europe awash with mythical beasts and weird science features much more in the way of character interaction then most titles in the Diablolike genre, casting the player as an established monster hunter of fiction (or his son, anyway: a lot of NPCs make this mistake) and giving him an amusing companion in the ghostly Lady Katerina. The two have no end of dripping sarcasm to share with each other and the denizens of the dark metropolis of Borgova. I only wish more games would explore gaslamp fantasy as this game does. Katerina acts like one of Torchlight's pets and can perform much the same functions, but with more complex behavioral options, the ability to use some of the same gear as Van Helsing and she even has her own attribute points and skill trees, allowing you to configure her to serve as the perfect foil to your build for Van Helsing himself. This game presents the player with very few skill slots, but vastly effective abilities to put in those slots, as well as a range of passives and powerful, game-changing "perks" acquired in much the same way as Torchlight's "fame" system.The game throws very large numbers of relatively weak enemies at you in comparison to either Diablo or Torchlight, something I always enjoy, but the difficulty is much more manageable then either game, clocking you in at far fewer stupid deaths overall. There are options for endgame characters to play random maps with monsters above the level cap to find better gear, and to replay the story with successively tougher monsters, but since you can't get higher then level 30 (a crippingly low level cap for a game of this type) your only chance of success is to git gud. I commend this title on its excellent mood music and voice acting, the latter of which makes up for any lack of quality with such hamminess as to be very enjoyable. I have a few complaints: the pathfinding is very iffy at times, especially when trying to move Van Helsing up a narrow stairwell, and the fights drag a bit towards the end of the story, though this is a common issue to most Diablolikes. I have only played the base Hunter class thus far, but I would be very willing to return to this title somewhere down the line to try either the Thaumaturge or Arcane Mechanic DLCs. I can personally recommend the Blue Blood DLC as well, as it vastly increase's Katerina's power and utility. I shall be moving on to the second and third parts of this trilogy before long and expect more of the same, which in this case is certainly a good thing. I have recently discovered another bonus: You can import your saves from this game into Van Helsing II, and begin at level 30 out of that game's cap of 60. All skills and items carry over, including Katerina's Blue Blood skills. An excellent feature, but be sure you have both games installed, as the second game requires that you have the first installed to detect character saves. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2015
    This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. I've never been more surprised by a game- for $13, I didn't expect an experience rivaling (and surpassing!) top-dollar ARPG's.
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    Bo-bo-boring and repetitive game. Good at the beginning, but pretty soon you realize it is more or less the same enemies and items, with different descriptions. Also, it's really hardware demanding so if you have a slightly aged PC, best leave it be.
  6. May 23, 2013
    Well Done Neocore! Their Arthur Games had great ideas and great art, but failed in terms of strategic (and tactical) gameplay. This game successfully mimics the ARPG style of Diabolo and Torchlight in grand style. The UI and skill trees are great. Graphics are beautiful. IT WORKS! Pricing the game at $15 was also inspired, not because it is cheap, but because it reflects a realistic entryWell Done Neocore! Their Arthur Games had great ideas and great art, but failed in terms of strategic (and tactical) gameplay. This game successfully mimics the ARPG style of Diabolo and Torchlight in grand style. The UI and skill trees are great. Graphics are beautiful. IT WORKS! Pricing the game at $15 was also inspired, not because it is cheap, but because it reflects a realistic entry point for impuse buying. So many 'full-price' games disappoint. $15 encourages a gamble with an unknown IP. No doubt millions will try it and LIKE what they see. Hope Neocore makes big money with this as a reward for their hard efforts and great work on this title. Thanks for the game. Expand
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    A wow of a game! I picked it up for a bargain and based on good reviews but I never expected such a fine rpg. Be sure, it is not a Diablo clone. This game has its own specific character and I love it. -----------------------------------GAMEPLAY This game just sucks you up as the time flies by. The controls are smooth, the user interface is fairly simple for such a complicated set ofA wow of a game! I picked it up for a bargain and based on good reviews but I never expected such a fine rpg. Be sure, it is not a Diablo clone. This game has its own specific character and I love it. -----------------------------------GAMEPLAY This game just sucks you up as the time flies by. The controls are smooth, the user interface is fairly simple for such a complicated set of skills. You start slow from 2 basic skills and you end up with a whole arsenal of them, using all of them quickly to your advantage. There are multiple options and tactics how you want to set up your character. Generally it never gets boring, because the skills/tricks/auras system is very fine tuned to reflect the character level progress. There are swarms of enemies thrown at you and beating them to the ground is very satisfying. -----------------------GRAPHICS are very cool. The isometric view I like very much, yet the maps are beatiful and first and foremost, they live. You can smell the stinge if the swamp and the industrial areas in this game. The models are pretty poor up close, but in zoom out view everything looks very good. If there is a complaint here I`d say it is the system requirements often fps drop to low thirties which is wierd for such simple graphics so I guess optimization lacks a bit here. -----------------------------------------------MUSIC is very good. There are basicly two main music tracks that play through the whole game, besides some of the laboratories and dungeons. All of them fit the atmosphere very well and never bore the player.-------------------------------------------------------------
    I should also point out that I liked the dialogues very much. They are both clever and funny and enrich the overall image of the game.
    If I would complain about something is that the walkthrough was a bit too short. Approximately 26 hours, but you have to know to sit about 1/3 of it through managing your stash and artifacts.
    But nowadays even 26h is pretty good, even more that the game features three completely different characters and has many skills that cannot be covered in a one walkthrough.
    My biggest surprise of the 2013 and easily an 8 out of 10. I am anxiously waiting for expansions.
  8. May 24, 2013
    Good game but far from great Unfortunately the game lacks polish. The game has poor replayability and becomes predictable. As about the graphics they are ok but it is plagued by lacking shadows and some low quality textures. Music is forgettable and speech is bad
  9. Dec 12, 2015
    Stat system is simple, not necessarily bad. Skill balance is awful, and being able to buff a skill eternally doesn't help this. "powerup" skills and rage - what were they thinking. You can only use 2 skills with powerups, unless you want to bother tabbing. Managing rage is easy, but ultimately a pointless mechanic. Visually, the game is a pain, and this wouldn't be so bad if it's easy toStat system is simple, not necessarily bad. Skill balance is awful, and being able to buff a skill eternally doesn't help this. "powerup" skills and rage - what were they thinking. You can only use 2 skills with powerups, unless you want to bother tabbing. Managing rage is easy, but ultimately a pointless mechanic. Visually, the game is a pain, and this wouldn't be so bad if it's easy to read your hp and mana... seriously, i have good peripheral vision but for the **** life of me this game is such a **** chore just because it's horrible visually. Game isn't optimized... your gpu will get raped if you don't play thaumaterge. Certain mobs mana drain... wtf this isn't path of exile where you want to avoid certain content. Random loot forging is **** terrible. Throw 5 rares together, even though you choose the type, it can be an item FOR A DIFFERENT CLASS... such a **** waste of time. poe is better, it has better depth, better to chill and essentially mostly has the same skills with better effects, performance and gameplay. Expand
  10. May 26, 2013
    It seems this game was actually played by its developers, since it is full of convenience features so missing from others. Namely, your companion collects loot automatically, all and any loot. Finally. It was an enjoyable game with lots of funny conversations and many easter-eggs. However, I don't feel any urge to replay it; I have a couple of achievements left, such as kill thousands ofIt seems this game was actually played by its developers, since it is full of convenience features so missing from others. Namely, your companion collects loot automatically, all and any loot. Finally. It was an enjoyable game with lots of funny conversations and many easter-eggs. However, I don't feel any urge to replay it; I have a couple of achievements left, such as kill thousands of creatures, try not to kill the cute enemies, etc. I think it's well worth the money, and maybe underpriced. Maybe the DLCs will bring fresh energy into the game. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2013
    Sound, aesthetics and atmosphere are all top notch combined with excellent and some unique to the genre gameplay make this a must buy for any fans of ARPGs.

For the price, this would make an excellent entry to the genre for those on the fence. There are only two flaws that comes to mind some of the voice acting and script of some of the characters are a bit cringe worthy and the lack

There are only two flaws that comes to mind some of the voice acting and script of some of the characters are a bit cringe worthy and the lack of character selection/customization, more then made up for imo by the partnership of your character the titular Van Helsing and his charming companion the Lady Katarina.
  12. ave
    Feb 11, 2015
    I decided to play The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing after viewing the trailer, and getting some exhaustion from Diablo III and Torchlight 2. This one seemed to be a decent Hack & Slash, with a nice twist regarding the setting of central Europa and possibly legions of blood-sucking foes.

In this game, you play a single character, Van Helsing, who is followed by a ghostly teammate, Katarina. You don't have to choose a class before playing, and just develop your character along the way, using several skill trees.

Basically, you can eradicate a significant amount of monsters by using either a sword or a gun. Each weapon has its specific skill tree with numerous styles of slashes and shots. Each one can be leveled up, or customized with additional powers, triggered by Rage. Also, you can wander in the side of magic by learning strikes blending physical and magical damage, even pure magical damage. If not enough, you can learn passive abilities and active spells, that can take advantage of some specific situations or simply save your butt - leaving you with a fair amount of combinations to craft.

The amount of damage you do or can endure is proportional to basic weapon and armor stats, plus the different levels of your character stats and skills, combined with the multiple bonuses you can get from gear. Very similar to Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. So don't fall in love with that particular weapon or gear if the next one is seamingly up a notch, the impact could be tremendous.

On top of that, your translucent female sidekick is not only witty, but can be used either as a melee fighter, a ranged shooter or a decent support. She also can level up and has her own gear and skill tree to become a tactical partner or a stat multiplier.

At this point, it's pretty clear that this game targets an audience that loves to analyse how hundred skills relate to each other, carefully crafting the most badass character possible, something like "hit once, obliterate many". It's a good thing to have a significant amount of depth that way (remember Titan Quest !) but for me it was just like "too much". So I decided to focus on a restricted number of skills, low enough to keep me focused on the actual map cleaning.

The game is linear, with some quests on the side. The levels are not really beautiful but varied, and the enemies compensate lack of intelligence by sheer number. Luckily, the dialog between Van Helsing and Katarina are funny so you can have a good time playing them.

Something that kinda puzzled me was the introduction of a micro-game of Tower Defense. Not that it wasn't interesting or refreshing, but it seemed that the developers decided to put everything remotely cool in the game, thus pushing it in the Land of Blended Genre where chances of survival are slim. Luckily, the Tower Defense micro-game is nicely done, but too much thin for consideration.

Overall, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is a good Hack & Slash, that can satisfy seasoned players, but could be daunting to newcomers.
  13. Jul 5, 2015
    Van Helsing is an aRPG set in the mythical land of Borgovia. If you've played Grim Dawn, Diablo or Torchlight you'll be familiar with the gameplay. The game does have a unique ability system though, as you fight you gain rage which can be spent to powerup your abilities. For example lets say you're using a lightning spell, powering it up may cause enemies to be shocked, or it may increaseVan Helsing is an aRPG set in the mythical land of Borgovia. If you've played Grim Dawn, Diablo or Torchlight you'll be familiar with the gameplay. The game does have a unique ability system though, as you fight you gain rage which can be spent to powerup your abilities. For example lets say you're using a lightning spell, powering it up may cause enemies to be shocked, or it may increase the number of enemies hit. A powered up spell only has one charge and can be activated with the spacebar, although this becomes tedious very fast and I'd wager 99.9% of people have this set to auto cast whenever available. The game allows you to set up powerup presets so you can very much set it and forget it and the game will automatically boost the chosen ability(s) whenever you have sufficient rage. Apart from that it's your usual aRPG fare, you have a standard talent tree with forks and paths, passive abilities and stat points which allow you to customise your character further.

When you create your character you have the choice of three classes, the Arcane Mechanic who is an engineer archetype, the Thaumaturge who is a mage and finally the Hunter who is the iconic poster child for the series. All classes can have two different weapon sets which can be swapped on the fly, and the Hunter can also specialise in either melee or range attacks.

Throughout the game you're accompanied by your ghostly companion, Katarina. She works very much like the Torchlight pet, she can pick up items, fight for you and even be sent back to town to sell and buy which saves you the bother! She also has her own stats and talent tree, you can either build her to become stronger herself, or build her as a complete buff bot which will give you lots of powerful auras. Usefulness aside she's actually a big part of the game, and the banter between you and her is often really enjoyable, the voice acting for both Van Helsing and Katarina is top notch (the same can't be said for all the characters though!).

The story will take around 15 hours to complete which is decent, but beyond that there's not much reason to continuing playing at max level. You do unlock scenarios which are basically dungeons with over levelled mobs which makes for a stiffer challenge and supposed higher rewards (I didn't get anything of worth) but there's no real point as the loot is lacking, which is a pretty big deal in an aRPG and why I didn't score the game higher. During my playthrough I saw a total of three legendary items and barely upgraded my gear at all, plus the items are all very generic and frankly boring. There was no excitement when an item dropped. You're also able to gamble for items with gold, but once again I never got anything of worth. I will say that this has been improved in the second game, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II which I started after finishing the first game so I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed this massive flaw.

Technically the game is fine, most quests have voice acting which isn't always a given for this genre, especially from the smaller studios, and while not perfect it is pretty funny at times and there are plenty of references to other games and TV shows which I enjoyed. Graphically the game is OK, it's a couple of years old and wouldn't have been anything to rave about back then, but it's fine, and it performs well, I was able to maintain 60fps on ultra without dips (as you'd expect from an older game on a GTX 970). The audio is decent and the voice acting is good for the main characters and acceptable for the supporting cast, the game doesn't take itself too seriously in this department and you will find yourself smiling throughout the game at the silly things that are said.

Overall it's a decent aRPG with some major flaws that prevent it from being more than decent but if you can grab it at 75% off in a Steam sale I would say go ahead and buy it, you'll get your monies worth at that price and while it's not perfect, it is an enjoyable experience. The devs are also still supporting the game two years later, and plan to bring out a "Final Cut" of all three games with new features and a more streamlined experience, this will be free if you own all three games already. If you're interested in the series it may be smart to wait until September to play it as the Final Cut will be released then.
  14. May 25, 2013
    What a surprisingly awesome game! Wasn't expecting much from it's lackluster title, however seconds into the game I learned that not a single dollar was wasted (speaking of price, I can't believe we are getting such a great looking game for so cheap).
    I've been switching between this and Marvel Heroes, and while they are different games, I'm just glad there is constantly something satisfying my Action-RPG fix that was left in shambles after a somewhat disappointing Diablo 3.
  15. May 25, 2013
    It's ok. It's a good game. I really don't know why though! It's a movie licensed 14€ (Probably 14$ too) game. Did i have to mention it a second time? Movie Licensed. Good. In the same context. However, it's short and probably episodic. Didnt hit the end yet. Just from what i've heared. However, gameplay and skill system is fun. It's not "the answer to Diablo 3" but it has a few innovationsIt's ok. It's a good game. I really don't know why though! It's a movie licensed 14€ (Probably 14$ too) game. Did i have to mention it a second time? Movie Licensed. Good. In the same context. However, it's short and probably episodic. Didnt hit the end yet. Just from what i've heared. However, gameplay and skill system is fun. It's not "the answer to Diablo 3" but it has a few innovations like the ghost sidekick which is really well done and feels like a step forward in this genre. Said sidekick you can either command to attack from afar, be the tank/melee or just be a buffbot (which some passiv bonuses when she is in this mode) also you can command her to focus certain enemies, collect stuff and of course she has items lots, skills and attributes. Which actually makes her useful and relevant to your personal play stile. The skill system sadly is no Titan Quest, but we will probably never have something great as Titan Quest again, so let's still with this: You have plenty of options to develop your own personal play stile. However, after a few playtroughs you will find yourself bored since it's over at lv 30. But as i said, probably episodic. But until then, it's a whole lot of fun for that price. Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    Szkoda że Val Helsing nie ukazał się rok temu. Miałbym dużą radochę patrząc jak taki mały "pierdek" próbuje konkurować z Diablo III czy Torchlichtem 2. Powiem od razu, zawiodłem się totalnie. Co prawda, nie oczekiwałem od tej gry czegoś wielkiego, jednak nie spodziewałem się że będzie to głównie kłębek pomysłów z Tochlicht'a czy z Diablo III. Fabuła jest totalnie nudnawa, dialogi robioneSzkoda że Val Helsing nie ukazał się rok temu. Miałbym dużą radochę patrząc jak taki mały "pierdek" próbuje konkurować z Diablo III czy Torchlichtem 2. Powiem od razu, zawiodłem się totalnie. Co prawda, nie oczekiwałem od tej gry czegoś wielkiego, jednak nie spodziewałem się że będzie to głównie kłębek pomysłów z Tochlicht'a czy z Diablo III. Fabuła jest totalnie nudnawa, dialogi robione tak aby można było łatwo zasnąć przed komputerem. Do tego mapy, czy głównie spawny przeciwników. Strasznie dużo czasu straciłem na bezmyślnym klikaniu klawiszy myszki. Twórcy po prostu bezmyślnie rozplanowali walkę. Co prawda pojawia się tu parę ciekawych pomysłów, ale spawnowanie 20 przeciwników jest głupie. Samo przeprowadzanie kampanii, brak jakiegokolwiek pokazania celu na mapie jest strasznie denerwujące. Zdarza się że trzeba 20 minut biegać głupio po mapie żeby wreszcie znaleźć miejsce o którym myśleli twórcy. Do tego bugi, niedopracowania i momentami szpetna grafika. Co prawda, ogólnie grafika wygląda dość fajnie, mrocznie i nie tak słabo jak w Diablo czy Torchlich'cie. Rozgrywkę da się czasami przeżyć, czasami walczy się nawet przyjemnie, jednak oczekiwałbym czegoś więcej. Moja ocena 6/10 Expand
  17. Jul 22, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing give a good Arpg game experience! Setting- loot -dialogue -skill-ability tree- graphics all well done.
    +10 Neocore
  18. Jul 20, 2013
    If this game had any kind of real endgame (the scenario mode is very flat and uninspired imo) or NG+, I'd easily rank this behind Torchlight 2 for best recent game in genre for the less hardcore crowd that PoE doesn't appeal to. Game is fun, and there's some decent comedy but it has plenty of flaws. Short (only 10 hours or so), very basic (only 2 skill active skill slots, only 2 treesIf this game had any kind of real endgame (the scenario mode is very flat and uninspired imo) or NG+, I'd easily rank this behind Torchlight 2 for best recent game in genre for the less hardcore crowd that PoE doesn't appeal to. Game is fun, and there's some decent comedy but it has plenty of flaws. Short (only 10 hours or so), very basic (only 2 skill active skill slots, only 2 trees ranged/melee, lacks class/build options of other hack & slash games), and is essentially done once you beat the final boss. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next edition but will again wait for a sale. Expand
  19. Feb 1, 2014
    Even now after all the updates and patches (assuming there were any, of course) the game suffers from atrocious technical issues.

Like the mouse cursor not showing if you have a gamepad connected. And I have one. And no, I do not feel like giving my PC a reacharound every time I want to play a particular game. So, assuming you decide to grin and bear it. The interface is optimized

So, assuming you decide to grin and bear it. The interface is optimized for the mouse and optimized badly at that. The highlighting of menu items is nonexistent and managing inventory is quite hard due to no paperdoll being present and the actual inventory slots being switched with an ultra-precise tilt of a thumbstick. The top tier menu actually has many more items than are shown on screen. How many? Well, you'll just have to scroll through them and see, young man.

Assuming you have managed to equip items and learn skills somehow... Moving with the thumbstick will also lock you in place for no reason occasionally. The character gets unstuck after 3-5 seconds on his own, though. Binding skills to buttons is done by going into the skill's menu and pressing Y. Press anything else - you've upgraded something. Pressed Y? Good, no way to exit the binding interface. B(ack) will replace your B binding, obviously.

The loading times are three to four times that of any other game, too.

As for the gameplay stuff such as mechanics, item variety and skills... This has nothing on Torchlight or Diablo. Those two are way more fun and way more player-friendly.

The only reason to buy this would be the price tag and the latter levels which are rumored to be good. But suffering through the rest isn't worth much.
  20. Jun 12, 2013
    Good RPG in the vein of Dungeon Siege.
    Click and slash your way through hordes of monsters while picking up items and such.
    The atmosphere is well done as a Victorian/steam punk world with science gone wrong. This is despite some odd modern culture references which do feel out of place (although the Hitch Hikers Guide reference did make me laugh). The main problem is that it becomes a
    Good RPG in the vein of Dungeon Siege.
    The main problem is that it becomes a bit repetitive later on as some areas are enormous. Don't get me wrong, it is not boring but after a while I started craving for something different. I guess Diablo fans won't mind it too much.
    What you cannot argue with is the price. It is cheap and you get a lot of game for very little money. A LOT!
    Not the best game out there but well worth the asking price.
  21. May 23, 2013
    Great game very surprised to be honest didnt think it would be this good defintaly worth more than what they are asking for, this is as good as Diablo3 appart from the combat that is....... they definatly have a great game here.... lets hope they make a full game in the near future.
  22. May 29, 2013
    I bought the game yesterday and played whole day i must say it is not perfect, yes there are some bugs but for the price of 10 euros it is more than worth to play. Graphic is very good, atmosphere is like you are in film about Count Dracula. So much to explore is more than welcome. Customisation of the character is very good, you have to choose what to equip making yourself better forI bought the game yesterday and played whole day i must say it is not perfect, yes there are some bugs but for the price of 10 euros it is more than worth to play. Graphic is very good, atmosphere is like you are in film about Count Dracula. So much to explore is more than welcome. Customisation of the character is very good, you have to choose what to equip making yourself better for fighting with enemies. Ghost companion is very helpful. I usually don't play this type of games, but this one is keeping me in front of pc monitor for whole day. Everyone who is willing to spend some small amount of US dollars or EUROS won't make mistake by buying this game. Expand
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    Great game. Lots of fun for me. Best humor in hack n slash history. Plot isn't bad at all. And characters are marvelous. Playing this Van Helsing rpg was really great. If You like Diablo or Torchlight You should definitely play this one too. It could be even better because of steam-punk climate.
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    Unbelievable what this team has produced and at such an affordable price.. ignore the flamers this game is great fun and a huge value. you can do the best of everything all in one.. they really paid attention to detail.
  25. Jul 23, 2015
    If there would be no gaming sites, I would have returned this games after 30 mins of gameplay. The beginning is just stupid. It feels like a chore: kill monsters, monsters kill you, you back to town, buff/buy, travel back and start again. In short: dying, walking back, walking back, walking back, dying, walking back, walking back. REALLY boring. If I did not read on a site that later itIf there would be no gaming sites, I would have returned this games after 30 mins of gameplay. The beginning is just stupid. It feels like a chore: kill monsters, monsters kill you, you back to town, buff/buy, travel back and start again. In short: dying, walking back, walking back, walking back, dying, walking back, walking back. REALLY boring. If I did not read on a site that later it gets better, I would've left it screaming.
    The game itself is not bad after a while, it keeps you gaming for a while, the story isn't bad, the desing neither, still there are major problems with it. Most of them could have been avoided with a little care, a little attention to details. Let's see them.

If there is a slapstick for games, then this is it... At least as the controls and wayfinding goes. The same button for going and fighting. Ridiculous. If you want to runaway from a crowd (50% of the game consists of this, like fkin Benny Hill), and you accidentally click on any enemy, it stops and stares and fights... And you die, most of the time. Whoever thought of this... Same goes for holding the LMB, that should mean constant going/running. Yes, just as long as your cursor is not above any enemy, because then Mr. V. H. stops and fights again. And you die. Again. God knows I don't like Diablo 3, but they could make it work. BTW if you have Second Chance, you have 4 seconds to run away as a ghost, sadly the mouse button holding running won't work here, hell knows why. It just stops and stays there. You can click only.
    You should use the arrow keys for walking, but for that you would need another hand. It feels like a bad port from a console.

The wayfinding is maybe the most annoying thing in the game, and there are many other annoying things to count. You run away, again, and you suddenly blocked by the Mighty Huge Monster Streetlamp. And Mr. V. H. stops... Or be it the Humongous Blade of Grass Monster. Most of the time you run in tubes, be it in the forest or in the street. Still the devs couldn't make that tube flat. It has to have something to collide with you, and so you stop. Again.
    If you go up a stair and you hold the mouse over an area that is beyond the stair, the game thinks you want to come down and you come down. This should be an ACTION RPG, where you move/run constantly and fight (e.g. action), but in IVH the move is never continuous. Something always has to happen to break your impetus.

Another wonder when an object in the foregroung hides the view behind it. Battle happens, you in it, but you see nothing of it. Slapstick, I tell you.

IVH is filled with bugs. Not just the elevator problem, when Mr. V. H. flies up after the platform, or another when Miss Lady Katarina windles into a bush and freezes there, but more serious ones. Like a not working exit or when the exit won't even show up. And there is no help, nothing tells you that is it a bug or is it normal. Nothing is explained here. This is another miss on the part of the devs: they made a world, a universe as it is trendy to say nowadays, but they've forgot to explain it to us. There is no introduction to the game system, no manual, nothing. A few frases in pop-up windows and that is it... You left with trial and error or google.

I played the french translation (no voices, of course), that is partly translated. The rest remained in english, item names, subs, etc. Sometimes even the coding variables show up instead of object/parameter names. BTW, is it Borgova or Borgovia?

Ok, I understand the jokes, the quirky/teasing Lady, 42, Tesla, the imps, the Lugosi River and many other geeky reference and I liked them, but the game should work as a game nonetheless. Also the look of it is not on par with the specs needed. The 3d design is OK, but the 2d cutscenes are horrendous. They should have used the 3d for the cutscenes, too. It looks like a game from 2006, but runs on my rig from 2013 around 19-20 fps, far from maxed out...

All in all this is not a bad game, but it feels like a beta version, something unfinished. Indy games should not be amateur games, but pro games on a lower budget. All the problems listed by me could have been fixed by paying attention, without extra expenses (except the dub, of course).
  26. Nov 4, 2014
    An excellent game, much like Diablo 2 and Torchlight. Good story, great combat, superb skill tree, excellent companion mechanics, excellent voice acting, very good graphics (like dungeon siege). Highly recommended.
  27. Jun 7, 2014
    This game is pretty good for the amount of money you have to pay.

It really lives up to the hack and slash genre. The graphics are really nice and the scenery is awesome. The spirit companion is a nice touch also where you can customize her to your play style. The talent tree's are nicely done and the loot system is like diablo 2. Few things I wish they did better was adding more
    This game is pretty good for the amount of money you have to pay.

Few things I wish they did better was adding more combat animations! I was really getting tired of seeing the same 3 or 4 swings over and over and over and over again. If they added a few critical hit animations, that would have been nice.

The town could have been done better with more interaction or a reason to care for the villagers.

But, as I stated earlier. The game is really good for $15.00.
  28. X0R
    May 26, 2013
    What an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content fromWhat an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content from Neocore Games! Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2013
    Pros: Cheap Price
    Lots of content for money paid
    Detailed environments
    Fun gameplay
    Fitting soundtrack

Cons: Technical hiccups here and there

For the price you can't get much more bang for the buck, job well done Neocore
  30. May 27, 2013
    A great game not just for the price although it is very cheap. You should absolutely enjoy it for what it is. A simple fresh action RPG with great mechanics, tactical gameplay and a surprisingly gripping atmosphere, A definite must have.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. PC Gamer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.