8.2

1. Nov 4, 2014
    An excellent game, much like Diablo 2 and Torchlight. Good story, great combat, superb skill tree, excellent companion mechanics, excellent voice acting, very good graphics (like dungeon siege). Highly recommended.
  2. May 25, 2013
    What a surprisingly awesome game! Wasn't expecting much from it's lackluster title, however seconds into the game I learned that not a single dollar was wasted (speaking of price, I can't believe we are getting such a great looking game for so cheap).
    I've been switching between this and Marvel Heroes, and while they are different games, I'm just glad there is constantly something satisfying my Action-RPG fix that was left in shambles after a somewhat disappointing Diablo 3.
  3. Jun 7, 2013
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

I was a little skeptic against the Van Helsing franchise because I thought this would be a game trying to use the title to attract some audience.. Oh boy, wasn't I wrong? This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG market..

The level design is better than both D3 and TL2 and with the help of great music, game creates a great atmosphere. Maps suck you in an you want to investigate every corner of the game. Skill tree is a little basic but it covers the main areas that are indispensable for the genre. Voice acting has some amateur taste to it but the dry humor throughout the game shows that developers don't take themselves very seriously. They obviously tried to create a great looking fun game and nailed it.

The whole experience reminded me the first time a played Witcher and how pleasantly surprised I was with a game from an unknown studio. I will keep supporting this game by buying whatever DLC they release and I'm hoping these guys will follow the footsteps of CD Projekt RED and make enough money to come up with an epic sequel.
  4. May 30, 2013
    I have been playing this non stop. What an awesome game and I cannot believe it is so cheap. Only £10.00. This is a fantastic hack and slash quite similar to the Torchlight games. There is some great humour in this game mostly provided by Katarina who I absolutely love. She is a very useful AI companion with a well thought out set of commands and behaviours that can be changed on theI have been playing this non stop. What an awesome game and I cannot believe it is so cheap. Only £10.00. This is a fantastic hack and slash quite similar to the Torchlight games. There is some great humour in this game mostly provided by Katarina who I absolutely love. She is a very useful AI companion with a well thought out set of commands and behaviours that can be changed on the fly. The combat system is great, nothing innovative or new but it works very well and is easy to pick up. There are some very funny easter eggs hidden in this game that I won't spoil. The online mode is a bit buggy at the moment but adds replay value and the devs are working hard to fix these bugs. I have not experienced any game breaking glitches or bugs. Patch recently has already improved things. All in all I really love this game and highly recommend it. Expand
  5. Nov 21, 2013
    Unbelievable what this team has produced and at such an affordable price.. ignore the flamers this game is great fun and a huge value. you can do the best of everything all in one.. they really paid attention to detail.
  6. May 27, 2013
    A great game not just for the price although it is very cheap. You should absolutely enjoy it for what it is. A simple fresh action RPG with great mechanics, tactical gameplay and a surprisingly gripping atmosphere, A definite must have.
  7. Nov 6, 2013
    A wow of a game! I picked it up for a bargain and based on good reviews but I never expected such a fine rpg. Be sure, it is not a Diablo clone. This game has its own specific character and I love it. -----------------------------------GAMEPLAY This game just sucks you up as the time flies by. The controls are smooth, the user interface is fairly simple for such a complicated set ofA wow of a game! I picked it up for a bargain and based on good reviews but I never expected such a fine rpg. Be sure, it is not a Diablo clone. This game has its own specific character and I love it. -----------------------------------GAMEPLAY This game just sucks you up as the time flies by. The controls are smooth, the user interface is fairly simple for such a complicated set of skills. You start slow from 2 basic skills and you end up with a whole arsenal of them, using all of them quickly to your advantage. There are multiple options and tactics how you want to set up your character. Generally it never gets boring, because the skills/tricks/auras system is very fine tuned to reflect the character level progress. There are swarms of enemies thrown at you and beating them to the ground is very satisfying. -----------------------GRAPHICS are very cool. The isometric view I like very much, yet the maps are beatiful and first and foremost, they live. You can smell the stinge if the swamp and the industrial areas in this game. The models are pretty poor up close, but in zoom out view everything looks very good. If there is a complaint here I`d say it is the system requirements often fps drop to low thirties which is wierd for such simple graphics so I guess optimization lacks a bit here. -----------------------------------------------MUSIC is very good. There are basicly two main music tracks that play through the whole game, besides some of the laboratories and dungeons. All of them fit the atmosphere very well and never bore the player.-------------------------------------------------------------
    I should also point out that I liked the dialogues very much. They are both clever and funny and enrich the overall image of the game.
    If I would complain about something is that the walkthrough was a bit too short. Approximately 26 hours, but you have to know to sit about 1/3 of it through managing your stash and artifacts.
    But nowadays even 26h is pretty good, even more that the game features three completely different characters and has many skills that cannot be covered in a one walkthrough.
    My biggest surprise of the 2013 and easily an 8 out of 10. I am anxiously waiting for expansions.
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    Sound, aesthetics and atmosphere are all top notch combined with excellent and some unique to the genre gameplay make this a must buy for any fans of ARPGs.

For the price, this would make an excellent entry to the genre for those on the fence. There are only two flaws that comes to mind some of the voice acting and script of some of the characters are a bit cringe worthy and the lack

There are only two flaws that comes to mind some of the voice acting and script of some of the characters are a bit cringe worthy and the lack of character selection/customization, more then made up for imo by the partnership of your character the titular Van Helsing and his charming companion the Lady Katarina.
  9. May 25, 2013
    It's ok. It's a good game. I really don't know why though! It's a movie licensed 14€ (Probably 14$ too) game. Did i have to mention it a second time? Movie Licensed. Good. In the same context. However, it's short and probably episodic. Didnt hit the end yet. Just from what i've heared. However, gameplay and skill system is fun. It's not "the answer to Diablo 3" but it has a few innovationsIt's ok. It's a good game. I really don't know why though! It's a movie licensed 14€ (Probably 14$ too) game. Did i have to mention it a second time? Movie Licensed. Good. In the same context. However, it's short and probably episodic. Didnt hit the end yet. Just from what i've heared. However, gameplay and skill system is fun. It's not "the answer to Diablo 3" but it has a few innovations like the ghost sidekick which is really well done and feels like a step forward in this genre. Said sidekick you can either command to attack from afar, be the tank/melee or just be a buffbot (which some passiv bonuses when she is in this mode) also you can command her to focus certain enemies, collect stuff and of course she has items lots, skills and attributes. Which actually makes her useful and relevant to your personal play stile. The skill system sadly is no Titan Quest, but we will probably never have something great as Titan Quest again, so let's still with this: You have plenty of options to develop your own personal play stile. However, after a few playtroughs you will find yourself bored since it's over at lv 30. But as i said, probably episodic. But until then, it's a whole lot of fun for that price. Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2013
    Amazing game! On the one line with torchlight series! Looks brilliant with a sense of humor, tale references. Really recommend this game who completed diablo/titan quest/torchlight series. 10/10
  11. May 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, i read that people are saying it doesn't have shadows. They should be on by default but you can switch them on in advanced graphics settings. It looks quite good.

For the money this is easily a 10 out of 10. Haven't had this much fun in a game since I finished Tombraider and this is much easier to get into. I was never all that pleased with Diablo 3 and this is

I was never all that pleased with Diablo 3 and this is far better and more varied to play. Sure some of the voice a cting is a bit crook but some of it is good too.

It is just fun working out the best way to take down enemies and everything is just so super smooth at 60 fps or above.

I really hope they do add on packs to this game as i would buy them.
  12. May 31, 2013
    A great Action RPG.

This game borrowed fairly heavily from the torchlight series in terms of game mechanics, and thats ok. In fact, I think they did it better then the original, and the story all the way through was fairly interesting. The game is about 20 hours long to crawl all the side quest. The polish seems great. There were only a couple bad voice actors--most of it was
    A great Action RPG.

The game is about 20 hours long to crawl all the side quest. The polish seems great. There were only a couple bad voice actors--most of it was good, and the dialog was witty and funny in the midst of a bunch of hack and slash awesome adventuring. I hear the multiplayer is a bit buggy, but I didn't do any of that. Single player was rock solid, with one exception where the final boss was able to attack me during his epic cut scene. This was no biggie, as I had plenty of cash to just respawn in place.

Perhaps my only complaint with this game is that I had absolutely TONS of gold the whole way through. There were prices for things, and it really didn't matter what they were because I could never spend all my money because sitting there and buying everything from the random item shop is boring.
  13. Jul 8, 2013
    I picked this little gem up to tide me over for a little bit between big blockbuster releases and it does not disappoint. As far as bang for the buck it's very good. Will it compete with triple A productions like Diablo? No, it will not. However for about 25% of the cost of Diablo you can get a wildly enjoyable game.

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such ridiculous hordes of monsters in any action RPG I've ever played. The sheer volume of critters coming at you is mind blowing and there's a surprising degree of depth in the build options and itemization. Crafting is pretty lightweight, but enjoyable and I wasted multiple hours trying to build the perfect weapons in my play through.

It will not have the replayability of multi-characer D3, but it's a solid 10 game for the money.
  14. May 26, 2013
    Amazing ARPG!! Totally did not expect this one. So many things work great in this game, though there are a couple small flaws. If you enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 or Titan Quest, this is a well-worth purchase!

The characters, Van Helsing and Lady Katarina (a ghost!), work great together. It helps that the voice acting is incredibly well-done, something which seems rather rare for indie/lower-budget games. NPC's are all voiced, which is pretty nice, but there are a few exceptions (but it adds to the humor!). Your companion can be a bit of a smartass, which works well in the dark fantasy/mechanical (ish?) setting. There's tons of wit in pretty much every part of the game and are also a number of references, as well.

Gameplay is solid, though the pathing and movement can be a -little- off. You will find that your deaths come from being surrounded quite often. It isn't quite as smooth as Diablo III, but the enemies are, in general, better designed. There are a lot of "dodgeable" things, which is ideal in an ARPG instead of everything just auto-hitting you. You have both a sword and a gun to equip, along with all of the other usual pieces of gear. You can also equip your lovely companion with some other gear and she has many options for combat and loot. She can be set to ranged, melee, or passive (if you keep her passive, you get 10% all defense). Also, you can set her to pick up any rarity of items and any item that sells for less than whatever amount of gold. Of course, she has an inventory as well and can be sent back to do your shopping/selling/whatever. Lastly, mobs don't seem to respawn in single-player... which is a little odd. It may get fixed, who knows.

The other lacking trait of the game would probably be the number of skills. There are two main trees, melee and ranged, and two smaller trees. The smaller trees contain passives skills and misc. active skills of which you can only have two of each active at one time. It would be nice if there were more trees or just more skills for the two trees. The skills don't have a huge amount of creativity to them, but for the most part, are balanced. There are a couple "weak" skills, but nothing too bad.

But, don't let those small flaws stop you!!!!!!! There are tons of "hidden" items and bonus content. Quite a few easter eggs. It's incredibly well-done in this regard, and trumps any other ARPG. If you love finding hidden stuff, this is a perfect game for you! (Pay attention to every detail!) I felt like I was playing a Monkey Island ARPG, almost.

The music is good and fitting with the theme, but it sounds a little bit repetitive. Still not bad though. After a while, you may choose to turn on your own tunes, though.

Definitely another great game for 2013. A hidden gem, looking at how few main critic reviews there are so far! It's an incredible adventure well worth the $15. Certainly a better investment than Diablo III !
    Total bargain!

Summary:
    Gameplay: 8.8
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 7.5
    Humor: 9.5
    Easter Eggs: 10.0
    Skills/Depth: 8.0
    Overall Value (quality per cost?): 9.5
  15. Oct 1, 2013
    An enjoyable game although not perfect, it does many things right and few things wrong in my opinion. I would not have been upset if this game had been on sale for $19.99 so at $14.99 it seems like a very good deal.

In my opinion the first act is the best part of the game once it moves on past that though it feels like they may have gotten bored developing the game, don't get me wrong it's not bad it's just not nearly as impressive to me as it was during the first act of the game.

There are some odd graphical issues such as coming upon a new area and seeing all the mobs standing there in a row until you get close enough for them to come to life and van they start moving around, but this is just a graphical issue and not gameplay issue.

I think if people enjoyed Diablo 2 or the game Titan quest they will likely enjoy this game as well, but if you are in love with the game Diablo 3 you may not be as enamored with Van Helsing as it may not feel nearly as polished as Diablo 3.

Overall I suggest this to my friends that enjoy action RPG games
  16. May 27, 2013
    This is a really good game. Pure APRG gold. I can't believe it's only $15. It's amazing how well polished an ARPG can be when there is only one "class" to balance.
  17. Aug 15, 2013
    Combat was different, sometimes fighting dozens of mobs at once, I finished the game and very much enjoyed it, but haven't play it again after that, so something was lacking for me or I just have too many choices. 8) Other friends on Steam seemed to have stopped playing it once finished also, so I am probably not alone.
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking,
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking, just a little bit too repetitive.
    Definitely recommended though, played longer than many games 2-4x the price.
  18. May 29, 2013
    WOW! It delivers what Diablo 3 screwed up (Auction house/worthless in-game gold). It delivers what Torchlight II never had, a wonderful story (and voice acting). Also the mechanics are so refined I completely forgot that it only has 2 classes (skill trees). The actually useful and funny companion in single player is also a big plus. All in all very good job! I really hope NeocoreGames getsWOW! It delivers what Diablo 3 screwed up (Auction house/worthless in-game gold). It delivers what Torchlight II never had, a wonderful story (and voice acting). Also the mechanics are so refined I completely forgot that it only has 2 classes (skill trees). The actually useful and funny companion in single player is also a big plus. All in all very good job! I really hope NeocoreGames gets rich with it so they can make a sequel with tons of content. Expand
  19. May 25, 2013
    This game was a big shock to me to be honest, and is my surprise package of the year. Solid mechanics, great looting system, interesting skill system that makes for addicting game-play and intense fights. Camera is a bit iffy at times, unable to see enemies from afar when travelling down, apart from that though all round solid game. Must buy for hack and slash fans, and a game consider forThis game was a big shock to me to be honest, and is my surprise package of the year. Solid mechanics, great looting system, interesting skill system that makes for addicting game-play and intense fights. Camera is a bit iffy at times, unable to see enemies from afar when travelling down, apart from that though all round solid game. Must buy for hack and slash fans, and a game consider for others. The difficulty is also well optimised, not too hard but not too easy either, with four difficulties to boot plus hardcore which means game-over once you die for the hardcore gamers! Expand
  20. Aug 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game. Gameplay, levels, skills and weapon variability are really good and progression is enjoyable. But the best thing in this game is humor.
  21. May 30, 2013
    Nice gameplay, excellent soundtracks, it costs 10€ and it is great RPG experience! Nothing original, but who needs that? Only con is not enough specialization (no professions) You always play just Van Helsing. That also cause you have no temptation to play the game repeatedly.
  22. Jun 30, 2013
    So i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diabloSo i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diablo 2 was understandable for its much smaller disk space but now it was just a dumb excuse to be cheap). The "helpers" were completely unbalanced and so stupidly useless after a certain point. All in all diablo 3 was an insanely retarded game considering the price and being it was made by a HUGE company. Yet the critics gave it HUGE ratings while actual players gave them terrible ratings. While here in this game its vice versa (hmmm... wierd). You have a game that is MUCH better visually and even in sound and is incredibly fun plus much bigger and finally the cost is less than a third of what diablo 3 was. So why would a game that is 3 times better than diablo 3 and costing 3 times less be rated 72/100 when diablo was 88/100. My point is video game critics have NO credibility anymore. stick to user ratings. Expand
  23. May 23, 2013
    Great game very surprised to be honest didnt think it would be this good defintaly worth more than what they are asking for, this is as good as Diablo3 appart from the combat that is....... they definatly have a great game here.... lets hope they make a full game in the near future.
  24. X0R
    May 26, 2013
    What an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content fromWhat an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content from Neocore Games! Expand
  25. May 25, 2013
    Everything I thought it would be! A great emersive ARPG. Exciting skills, perks ect! I love katarina, she is a great help on your adventure. There are some many cool things to do like enchant your items, forge new items, socket your items, buy new auras! So much about this game is great! With some re-play ability this game would be heavenly, maybe we'll see it in the future. Small bugs butEverything I thought it would be! A great emersive ARPG. Exciting skills, perks ect! I love katarina, she is a great help on your adventure. There are some many cool things to do like enchant your items, forge new items, socket your items, buy new auras! So much about this game is great! With some re-play ability this game would be heavenly, maybe we'll see it in the future. Small bugs but nothing bad enough to even take a point. 10/10 Expand
  26. Jan 29, 2014
    This may not be the most beautiful game ever but it really is an hidden gem. Great art design, fun gameplay, interesting story and a lot of references to movies... I just love the dialogue between Van Helsing and Katarina !
    It really deserves to be known !
  27. May 22, 2013
    Very enjoyable and unquestionably worth the price. It has a lot more depth than I expected.
    Hope it gets more exposure; it definitely deserves it.
  28. May 28, 2013
    Better, cheaper, and longer than Diablo 3. Combat is fluid and fulfilling. The combo system that allows to to customize your abilities is fantastic. Don't miss this game, it is well worth the price.
  29. May 23, 2013
    This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. I've never been more surprised by a game- for $13, I didn't expect an experience rivaling (and surpassing!) top-dollar ARPG's.

Van Helsing is my new hobby, and fixation- I highly advise letting it become yours.
  30. May 24, 2013
    I really didn't see this coming. A game comparable in quality to Titan quest? Diablo series? Path of Exile? What a surprise! If you like any of the previous loot'em'ups I just mentioned, then this is a no brainer. Just buy it. I am in love, which happens so rarely these days. Great action, awesome loot, lots of customization (skills, stats, perks, tricks, auras, your sidekick thatI really didn't see this coming. A game comparable in quality to Titan quest? Diablo series? Path of Exile? What a surprise! If you like any of the previous loot'em'ups I just mentioned, then this is a no brainer. Just buy it. I am in love, which happens so rarely these days. Great action, awesome loot, lots of customization (skills, stats, perks, tricks, auras, your sidekick that you can level up, equip, etc). I especially love the rage system. And the music! So good and original! Mad props to the devs, looking forward to their next efforts! Expand

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. PC Gamer
    Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.