8.3

1. May 23, 2013
    This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. I've never been more surprised by a game- for $13, I didn't expect an experience rivaling (and surpassing!) top-dollar ARPG's.

Van Helsing is my new hobby, and fixation- I highly advise letting it become yours.
  2. May 22, 2013
    Really enjoyable hack'n'slash with fun world and interesting main characters and their chemistry.
    Price is nice, music is acceptable but a little too short. Graphics are very nice. Skills, attributes and overall character development is great.

Overall, good game for that price.
  3. May 24, 2013
    You can't have better hack'n'slash rpg for so low price. Design, music, sounds, scenery, rpg-system match highest standarts. Also u have great companion (not as great as Elizabeth, though) with hilarious sense of humor.
  4. May 23, 2013
    One of the best Hack' n' Slash game i ever played, the graphics is really awesome, the game is beautiful, the gameplay, history, all!
    I really recommend this game for fan's of Diablo, brings what they missed on D3!
  5. May 23, 2013
    Tons of people praising the game already. I've played all the arpgs worth playing and this game is highly recommended. Any fans of d2,d3,tl1/2, titans quest, and any other such games will be happy with the purchase.
  6. May 23, 2013
    Only played Act 1 so far but in my opinion best current Hack'n'Slash.

Graphic style represents every cliché about a land of werwolves and vampires, the graphic itself is detailed and nice to look at. Despite trees, bushes, hills and hordes of monsters it always seems clean enough to keep an overview.
    The sound is nice, music fits but is nothing that stands out, the voices on the other
    hand are brilliant.

The gameplay is really enjoyable, attacks feel meaty and heavy and seeing packs of monsters explode into fine bloody mist is extremely satisfying. The mix of chaos and overview is well balanced.
    Though the character progression seems quite limited at first, a rather intricate skilltree design and the addition of a leveling companion add enough deep to support several different playstyles and definetly promote replayability.

Last but not least the game is filled with hidden humor and nice banter with your companion.
    I liked this much better than Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3.
    I would say at that price, it's a must-buy for everyone interested in Hack'n'Slash.
  7. May 23, 2013
    I'm EXTREMELY Impressed. Bravo Neocore!!! Take a bow you deserve it.

Why do I say that?

#1 Unique character development: The powerup options are definitely a different take on skills from any Arpg's I've played. At first I thought "WTH there's only 20ish skills some 'tricks'?". As I leveled I realized that the use of skill, skills+powerups, tricks and weapon swap(i.e. different
    skill sets) gave a near perfect level of depth as well as actual of skills.

#2 Likeable (main) characters The dynamics between Katarina and Van Helsing is nice to say the least. I truly felt like I was listening in on two old friends or siblings that were giving each other a little grief. Which makes for a comfortable enjoyable background to fill in the VERY rare luls between packs.

#3 Very solid graphics I have a fairly nice machine and a 2550x1440 dell monitor and am fairly impressed with how well everything looks. It looks good at any of the higher resolution/settings but scaled up nicely when I put my hardware to the test.

#4 Good variety of monsters
  8. May 25, 2013
    This game was a big shock to me to be honest, and is my surprise package of the year. Solid mechanics, great looting system, interesting skill system that makes for addicting game-play and intense fights. Camera is a bit iffy at times, unable to see enemies from afar when travelling down, apart from that though all round solid game. Must buy for hack and slash fans, and a game consider for others. The difficulty is also well optimised, not too hard but not too easy either, with four difficulties to boot plus hardcore which means game-over once you die for the hardcore gamers! Expand
  9. May 24, 2013
    I really didn't see this coming. A game comparable in quality to Titan quest? Diablo series? Path of Exile? What a surprise! If you like any of the previous loot'em'ups I just mentioned, then this is a no brainer. Just buy it. I am in love, which happens so rarely these days. Great action, awesome loot, lots of customization (skills, stats, perks, tricks, auras, your sidekick that you can level up, equip, etc). I especially love the rage system. And the music! So good and original! Mad props to the devs, looking forward to their next efforts! Expand
  10. May 25, 2013
    What a surprisingly awesome game! Wasn't expecting much from it's lackluster title, however seconds into the game I learned that not a single dollar was wasted (speaking of price, I can't believe we are getting such a great looking game for so cheap).
    I've been switching between this and Marvel Heroes, and while they are different games, I'm just glad there is constantly something
    satisfying my Action-RPG fix that was left in shambles after a somewhat disappointing Diablo 3. Expand
  11. May 25, 2013
    Everything I thought it would be! A great emersive ARPG. Exciting skills, perks ect! I love katarina, she is a great help on your adventure. There are some many cool things to do like enchant your items, forge new items, socket your items, buy new auras! So much about this game is great! With some re-play ability this game would be heavenly, maybe we'll see it in the future. Small bugs but nothing bad enough to even take a point. 10/10 Expand
  12. May 23, 2013
    Great game very surprised to be honest didnt think it would be this good defintaly worth more than what they are asking for, this is as good as Diablo3 appart from the combat that is....... they definatly have a great game here.... lets hope they make a full game in the near future.
  13. May 22, 2013
    Very enjoyable and unquestionably worth the price. It has a lot more depth than I expected.
    Hope it gets more exposure; it definitely deserves it.
  14. May 25, 2013
    I'm very impressed with this Diablo style action RPG. I jumped right in and played for hours. I was a little worried when I started the game and only had the choice of one character class, but once I started experimenting with the skill tree, I realized that Van Helsing can be a variety of character types such as a caster, ranged DPS, melee defensive/offense, etc. The ranged/melee swap feature adds a level of depth that can lead to some exciting builds. The environment and artistic nature of the game gives it a darker feel that I enjoy. Congratulations Neocore, I'll be keeping an eye on your future releases from now on! I can't think of a better way I could have spent my $14. Expand
  15. May 23, 2013
    One word: Amazing. I literally made an account just to add my thumbs up for this game. I was pleasantly surprised by satirical (sometimes dark) humour, gorgeous graphics, various detailed environments, playful banter between you and your, errr... companion. Seriously, slick game-play mechanics, a splendid UI and little to no bugs is like a deep breathe of fresh air. I just finished the first "act" and I can't wait to play more. Do yourself a favour, pick this gem up. For 13 bucks, you will definitely get way more than you bargained for. Expand
  16. May 23, 2013
    Well Done Neocore! Their Arthur Games had great ideas and great art, but failed in terms of strategic (and tactical) gameplay. This game successfully mimics the ARPG style of Diabolo and Torchlight in grand style. The UI and skill trees are great. Graphics are beautiful. IT WORKS! Pricing the game at $15 was also inspired, not because it is cheap, but because it reflects a realistic entry point for impuse buying. So many 'full-price' games disappoint. $15 encourages a gamble with an unknown IP. No doubt millions will try it and LIKE what they see. Hope Neocore makes big money with this as a reward for their hard efforts and great work on this title. Thanks for the game. Expand
  17. May 24, 2013
    I have been playing for 5 hours straight and am loving the leveling system very addictive! Also has surprisingly deep game play. The graphics are quite good, but I am having some odd performance issues with 2x GTX 670 at 2560x1600 in SLI and not in SLI. I have no idea why. Also the voice acting is pretty bad. Even so, these issues are easily forgivable with the price tag. I highly suggest buying this game if you enjoy ARPGs. I would give the game an 8 if it were more expensive, but it easily takes home a 9 with the value. Expand
  18. May 25, 2013
    @Klausreiner: This a review of the game just released, not the movie, might want to do something with that rating as it affects the overall rating.

I'm not sure that the movie was really what the devs. were thinking would draw many players, it was pretty bad, IMO as well and even the reviews here are pathetic. You would think that they may have had other interests in mind than
    lamenting over the film when they chose to use the name or maybe not... The reviews here are at: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/van-helsing for those interested.

Also, with regards to the skill and character traits available to customize. I have found that with the 8 or so hours I have in the game, you can't (at least at my point) just level up all the skills and get the +50% in all aspects, there are too many. This is what makes it so interesting to me. You have to focus on a balanced set and work with them in order to truly level up and expect any useful skills. While I do like to explore, I am now 8 hours into the game and I haven't seem but a couple of the maps shown on some other video reviews. I expect those that found the game to be short might prefer the running and gunning to the quest point and getting it done as fast as possible. Not me, I try to find all the hidden treasure there is to be had as well as the collectibles and achievements, so what may take them an hour could take me up to 3.

The acting is great, IMO. It's hilarious at points. Just in the first town and subsequent quest(s) there are some great characters to meet. The two headed cow and just around the corner, the drunk babbling (were they clues or nonsense, not sure yet), the alchemist who was cursed and can't speak anything but gibberish (part of a quest) are just a few right from the get go that I though were very clever and funny.
  19. May 25, 2013
    Hack n slash in its purest form. Lots of character development for you and your companion. Lots of options on playstyle magic/melee/ranged etc etc. It's pretty linear and basic but its a lot of fun.

Highly recommended especially at the budget price.
  20. May 23, 2013
    This game is absolutely fantastic and a must buy for fans of the ARPG genre. It takes a familiar formula, and mixes it up nicely with in-depth character customization, likable cast, and an interesting world/setting. I personally couldn't get into D3, TL2 or PoE, but this game instantly had me hooked, and is probably the first ARPG thats really kept me playing since D2. Great work all around!
  21. May 25, 2013
    One of a 2-3 games I can give full 10/10 to. The Incredible of Van Helsing has: nice setting (different from being just another fantasy set in nowhere), nice SFX, great voiceover, astonishing visuals and graphics, a lot of sarcasm, very few dungeons (going for open locations instead), curious differences from more traditional ARPGs (such as no monster respawn and consequently, lack of farming)

It has its share of minor bugs, but dev team appear to be actively collection feeddback and reports, so I suppose the game will be perfected soon enough
  22. May 23, 2013
    Definitely a Diablo clone, but a good one at that. The detail to the game mechanics is what really astounded me. How they handled all the skills and skill types (skills/modifiers/tricks/auras) was really impressive. And the amount of control you have with your companion is the best I've ever seen. It is definitely worth the $15 price tag on steam. If your a fan of the Diablo-esque play style then I definitely recommend getting this. Expand
  23. May 23, 2013
    Just got the game yesterday and played it 14 hours str8. Overall the game is solid. Game play is refreshing and doesn't become a repeat hack and slash. Some of the monsters tend to get hard and I even died a few times thinking it would be easy. Graphics, story, and main characters all fit well. For the price I would say that this game is worth the buy and play. Love it...hope more comes with this game. Expand
  24. May 23, 2013
    Awesome game. It's like a mix of Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege and Fallout 3 (perk system). You will however mash your mouse to death but it is a hack 'n' slash after all.

Would still be great value at double the price, definitely worth buying.
  25. DMV
    May 25, 2013
    I cannot recommend this game enough to any fans of the hack and slash genre. It is absolutely solid in every aspect of it's delivery, the dialog is fairly witty and rarely annoying, the combat has a substantial amount of depth for customization and the overall atmosphere is wonderful. I should also mention that this is an older styled ARPG in that there are a significant amount of secrets hidden within it, if you pay attention to your environment, and talk to npcs you would otherwise ignore.

Few things though: There is no new game+, and there are a few issues with multiplayer(two patches have landed within the last 2 days, and both seemed to have fixed it for the most part. Rest assured, they're taking care of any bugs, though I ran into little to none.
    The new game+ was mentioned by devs as something they're looking into as they add DLC(free) in the future.
  26. May 26, 2013
    Arpg+ hack and slash, skill tree for both you and your companion attributes ,enchanting crafting, socketing, reputation and combat system that's both fluid and enjoyable i just loved this game and can't wait for a sequel
  27. May 25, 2013
    Sorti de nulle part, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing fait son apparition sur steam. Cet excellent hack & slash "old school" façon Diablo 2 prend tout le monde par surprise. Et tout ça pour moins de 14€.

Dans ce jeu nous incarnons le fils du célèbre chasseur de monstres, Van Helsing.

Le visuel est globalement plaisant et l'ambiance "Van Helsing" est bien présente au travers
    du bestiaire classique au départ puis plus steam punk par la suite. Les effets sonores sont correctes et les musiques collent parfaitement l'action et au stéréotype "Europe de l'Est med-fan". Les voix sont en Anglais mais le jeu propose des sous-titres FR. De plus, le jeu se paye de luxe d'avoir d'excellentes répliques, drôles ou sarcastiques, entre le héros et le fantôme de dame Katarina qui nous sert de partenaire tout au long du jeu. Sans oublier les nombreuses références d'autres jeux ou films. L'action est bien présente et on enchaîne les packs de monstres avec plaisir. La difficulté quant elle grimpe passées les 1ères heures de jeu.

Au niveau des mécaniques de jeu, on retrouve pas mal d'éléments classiques des H&S et d'autres instaurés par D2. A chaque level, on distribue des points dans nos stats et compétences. En plus de cela, il est possible d'obtenir des "perks" via les points de réputation obtenus en tuant des monstres "non normaux". Le jeu propose une table de compétences pour le corps corps, les armes feu ainsi que les buffs et auras. Le personnage dispose tout moment de la possibilité de switcher entre son arme de corps corps et son arme feu. Un système dit de "combo" est aussi présent. Il s'agit en fait plus d'un système permettant de booster l'effet de sa prochaine attaque en fonction de 3 critères différents pour chaque compétence. Ce système est alimenté par la rage obtenue en tuant ses ennemis. Le jeu dispose aussi d'un système comparable celui des gemmes sertir dans son équipement. Sauf qu'ici il s'agit d'essence. Ces dernières sont améliorables et aussi mélangeables afin d’obtenir de nouveaux effets. Il est aussi possible de créer son équipement la façon du célèbre cube Horadrim de D2 mais cette fois ci en passant par un PNJ. A noter que notre compagnon, la très morte dame Katarina, dispose elle aussi de stats et de compétences monter ainsi que d'une feuille d'équipement.

Les 2 seuls points faibles que l'on pourrait éventuellement trouver ce titre résident dans sa re-jouabilité et dans son relatif manque de variété au niveau des régions traversées. Ainsi, une fois le mode solo "offline" terminé, il n'y a pas de "new game plus" ou de possibilité de recommencer l'aventure. La seule solution est alors de passer par le mode "online". A noter que le mode "online" est actuellement assez instable mais que des patchs sont en route pour corriger le problème. Et pour ce qui est de la région visitée, elle se résume au final en 2 lieux principaux avec leurs quartiers alentours.

Le jeu devrait vous tenir une bonne 15-20aine d'heures avant que vous n'en arriviez bout. Ce qui est somme toute plutôt honnête pour le prix et sachant que le mode "online" permettra ceux qui souhaiteront continuer leur recherche de l'item ultime d'y passer encore d'avantage de temps. De plus, il semblerait que le jeu prenne la forme d'un jeu épisodique façon "The Walking Dead". Bref, affaire suivre certainement en fonction des ventes du titre qui, je l'espère, rencontrera le succès car cette mise en bouche ouvre de belle manière l'appétit.

En conclusion, moins de 14€, ce serait vraiment dommage que de ne pas encourager le surprenant travail réalisé par les développeurs sur ce jeu. Le résultat est étonnamment bon et ravira n'en point douter les fans de hack & slash "old school" ainsi que les fans de l'univers Van Helsing.
  28. May 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, i read that people are saying it doesn't have shadows. They should be on by default but you can switch them on in advanced graphics settings. It looks quite good.

For the money this is easily a 10 out of 10. Haven't had this much fun in a game since I finished Tombraider and this is much easier to get into.

I was never all that pleased with Diablo 3 and this is
    far better and more varied to play. Sure some of the voice a cting is a bit crook but some of it is good too.

It is just fun working out the best way to take down enemies and everything is just so super smooth at 60 fps or above.

I really hope they do add on packs to this game as i would buy them.
  29. May 26, 2013
    Amazing ARPG!! Totally did not expect this one. So many things work great in this game, though there are a couple small flaws. If you enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 or Titan Quest, this is a well-worth purchase!

The characters, Van Helsing and Lady Katarina (a ghost!), work great together. It helps that the voice acting is incredibly well-done, something which seems rather rare for
    indie/lower-budget games. NPC's are all voiced, which is pretty nice, but there are a few exceptions (but it adds to the humor!). Your companion can be a bit of a smartass, which works well in the dark fantasy/mechanical (ish?) setting. There's tons of wit in pretty much every part of the game and are also a number of references, as well.

Gameplay is solid, though the pathing and movement can be a -little- off. You will find that your deaths come from being surrounded quite often. It isn't quite as smooth as Diablo III, but the enemies are, in general, better designed. There are a lot of "dodgeable" things, which is ideal in an ARPG instead of everything just auto-hitting you. You have both a sword and a gun to equip, along with all of the other usual pieces of gear. You can also equip your lovely companion with some other gear and she has many options for combat and loot. She can be set to ranged, melee, or passive (if you keep her passive, you get 10% all defense). Also, you can set her to pick up any rarity of items and any item that sells for less than whatever amount of gold. Of course, she has an inventory as well and can be sent back to do your shopping/selling/whatever. Lastly, mobs don't seem to respawn in single-player... which is a little odd. It may get fixed, who knows.

The other lacking trait of the game would probably be the number of skills. There are two main trees, melee and ranged, and two smaller trees. The smaller trees contain passives skills and misc. active skills of which you can only have two of each active at one time. It would be nice if there were more trees or just more skills for the two trees. The skills don't have a huge amount of creativity to them, but for the most part, are balanced. There are a couple "weak" skills, but nothing too bad.

But, don't let those small flaws stop you!!!!!!! There are tons of "hidden" items and bonus content. Quite a few easter eggs. It's incredibly well-done in this regard, and trumps any other ARPG. If you love finding hidden stuff, this is a perfect game for you! (Pay attention to every detail!) I felt like I was playing a Monkey Island ARPG, almost.

The music is good and fitting with the theme, but it sounds a little bit repetitive. Still not bad though. After a while, you may choose to turn on your own tunes, though.

Definitely another great game for 2013. A hidden gem, looking at how few main critic reviews there are so far! It's an incredible adventure well worth the $15. Certainly a better investment than Diablo III !
    Total bargain!

Summary:
    Gameplay: 8.8
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 7.5
    Humor: 9.5
    Easter Eggs: 10.0
    Skills/Depth: 8.0
    Overall Value (quality per cost?): 9.5
  30. X0R
    May 26, 2013
    What an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content from Neocore Games! Expand
  31. May 23, 2013
    I'm EXTREMELY Impressed. Bravo Neocore!!! Take a bow you deserve it.

Why do I say that?

skill sets) gave a near perfect level of depth as well as actual of skills.

#4 Good variety of monsters

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.