8.3

1. Jun 7, 2014
    This game is pretty good for the amount of money you have to pay.

It really lives up to the hack and slash genre. The graphics are really nice and the scenery is awesome. The spirit companion is a nice touch also where you can customize her to your play style. The talent tree's are nicely done and the loot system is like diablo 2.

Few things I wish they did better was adding more
    combat animations! I was really getting tired of seeing the same 3 or 4 swings over and over and over and over again. If they added a few critical hit animations, that would have been nice.

The town could have been done better with more interaction or a reason to care for the villagers.

But, as I stated earlier. The game is really good for $15.00.
  2. Jun 2, 2014
    The game play is amazing with the fighting to interchanging weapons and not to mention a ghost fighting along your side. I love it I give it a healthy 9 I would of gave it a ten but the maps kinda annoying. Other than that I cant get enough of it!!!!!!
  3. May 27, 2014
    I bought this game hoping to play with my friends but the game kept on crashing and the skills are bugged. I have be trying to get this game to work for a week and no luck.

I had high hope for this game because it reminds me of Diablo, which I loved.

Wait a few months for the developers to fix the game before you consider buying it. If it is not fixed, I suggest you spend your money
    else where.

Pro: The tutorial level worked find. Friends can spawn Lady Katarina like Star Craft's zergs (bugged)
    Con: Bugged and Crashes.
  4. May 27, 2014
    What I liked :
    - Design / Graphics from the setting to the background world to the monster and weapon design.
    - Characters especially Katarina she is awesome.
    - The Price.

What I liked less :
    - Some spell and weapon skill effects.
    - Nothing else.
  5. May 27, 2014
    It's a decent ARPG game with multiplayer elements and some interesting ideas added in it. I played through the whole story and, for my disappointment, 90% of the loot that dropped at the final boss only could be equipped for classes available at the DLC contents. It was worth a playthrough.
  6. UCA
    May 15, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  7. Apr 25, 2014
    Very good game. Very interesting. Very fun to play. Very good story-line. I recommend this game to people from 12 years to 25 years. i love this game so much
  8. Apr 20, 2014
    For all the bad games that came out this past year this is a winner, finally. Diablo like in gameplay but different and enjoyable. Pay the 20 bucks get the whole enchilada or wait for summer sale. This is a must buy for a fun good gaming experience. Its not going to blow you away by any means but everything is solid and not overwehelming to a gamer. Enjoy I have.
  9. DM7
    Mar 11, 2014
    i bought this when it was on 75% off steam on 2013 (can't remember the exact date or month). Pros : 1. voice actor/actress is surprisingly above average. 2. graphics is good, but not awesome. cons : 1. Long loading time 2. DLCs doesn't work, until workaround is used. 3. Level cap is too low for an ARPG, the level cap is 30. 4. the speeches scripts is idiotic / lame.

5. game size is too big, i know its not max payne 3 big, but its big compared with other ARPG,

6. Complete Pack is not complete, 3 DLCs are missing.

7. The dev expected us to buy the game again, to get the rest of the DLCs, by naming it Support Package, the point is, by buying the complete pack on steam = the dev doesn't acknowledge it as supporting them, unless we buy the ridiculously expensive pack on their site.

8. Game got too much bugs.

9. Patches are still coming, at a snail rate, and when it comes there are chances that it might broke the game even more instead of fixing it for some.

10. a lot of quest is kinda broken, so it depends on your luck, if a quest is broken or not. (broken = unable to be completed).

11. i owned it since 2013, but even now the game still got too many bugs.

12. the game got DLC screen, and i don't know why the dev feels the need to let us know that we doesn't have all the DLC, even thought on steam its sold as complete version, and the only way to get those DLCs, is what i described earlier, i felt that its some kinda fraud, because buying complete version while it doesn't give us all DLCs = a fraud.

overall : 0/10

but because the devs are still trying to patch the game, i gave them a 2/10.

but if they stopped patching it, and the game is still broken, then score is gonna be back to 0/10

ps : this is only from my point of view, so i don't care if you guys love it or not.
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    Van Helsing is basically a Diablo 2 clone with clumsier controls, duller scenery and fewer options for character customization. The story is reasonably interesting and many of the boss encounters are remarkably well designed, but the frustrating controls taint the experience and the limited character customization options - you basically get to choose between "Van Helsing with a sword" and "van Helsing with a gun" - ruin the replayability. Expand
  11. Feb 1, 2014
    Even now after all the updates and patches (assuming there were any, of course) the game suffers from atrocious technical issues.

Like the mouse cursor not showing if you have a gamepad connected. And I have one. And no, I do not feel like giving my PC a reacharound every time I want to play a particular game.

So, assuming you decide to grin and bear it. The interface is optimized
    for the mouse and optimized badly at that. The highlighting of menu items is nonexistent and managing inventory is quite hard due to no paperdoll being present and the actual inventory slots being switched with an ultra-precise tilt of a thumbstick. The top tier menu actually has many more items than are shown on screen. How many? Well, you'll just have to scroll through them and see, young man.

Assuming you have managed to equip items and learn skills somehow... Moving with the thumbstick will also lock you in place for no reason occasionally. The character gets unstuck after 3-5 seconds on his own, though. Binding skills to buttons is done by going into the skill's menu and pressing Y. Press anything else - you've upgraded something. Pressed Y? Good, no way to exit the binding interface. B(ack) will replace your B binding, obviously.

The loading times are three to four times that of any other game, too.

As for the gameplay stuff such as mechanics, item variety and skills... This has nothing on Torchlight or Diablo. Those two are way more fun and way more player-friendly.

The only reason to buy this would be the price tag and the latter levels which are rumored to be good. But suffering through the rest isn't worth much.
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    This may not be the most beautiful game ever but it really is an hidden gem. Great art design, fun gameplay, interesting story and a lot of references to movies... I just love the dialogue between Van Helsing and Katarina !
    It really deserves to be known !
  13. Jan 12, 2014
    A pretty fun ARPG, which becomes pretty tedious by the end (and seems that the last part of the game was made less well than the beginning), the story is nothing special, the ending is poor. But you have an awesome female ghost with a sexy accent. The setting and atmosphere are rather interesting and unusual. Overall the game is pretty enjoyable and better than Diablo 3. I'll be looking forward to pt. 2. Expand
  14. Dec 31, 2013
    For a $15 indie action RPG it doesn't get much better than this. The steampunk atmosphere and the Van Helsing lore are nicely done (not to mention the witty banter between you and your companion). The game play is solid and the few bugs I could find were quickly corrected in the first patch. The DLC is good (the second skill tree for your companion and two new playable classes). I especially liked the ability to respect both you and your companion’s abilities points (both attributes and skills). The endless story mode that was added compliments the scenarios nicely once you've completed the story through in single player.

I was a bit confused by some of the lower critics scores (the ones below 70 especially). This title stands pretty well against some of its larger competitors.

I haven't played the multiplayer at all, so my opinions are bases solely on single player.
  15. Dec 30, 2013
    Being an indie game i'm truly impressed with this game. Its cozy, cool and mean at the same time!
    Looking forward to the next 2 parts of the game. Fun gameplay, dialogs and quests. Sure its not a game you spend alot of hours with several days in a row but with more content added I can see it happening.
    It needs some upgrades here and there like the multiplayer part and endgame but it's
    worth every penny spent. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is amazing.I saw in this game thing which I havent seen in any other game.Congrats Neocore, great ideas with enchanting, the story is very good too.I give you 11 from 10..excelent job guys.I have no patience to level up to 27-30 and try the PvP System. Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2013
    There's a lot to love in this game for ARPG fans. Tons of customization, cool loot, a highly customizable follower with some great dialogue, great voice acting, and one of the best looking ARPGs out there. However there is a LOT of bugs that made out the door, and that can really hamper the experience. The devs seem to be releasing patches at a pretty steady pace, though. Still, it's annoying to get into the game and have the client crash or a quest bug stop your progress cold. Expand
  18. Dec 8, 2013
    If the game weren't so bugged, I would have given it 8/10. Unfortunately, I have hit three separate circumstances where I was unable to continue the game because triggers had failed. The first such case was early in the game. Five bosses guard an inkgate in Gallowsbog. To continue, you have to defeat them and then use the inkgate they're guarding. In my case, the bosses were unresponsive, and just stood there. They could not be targeted, and the inkgate itself was inactive. Fortunately, Neocore offered a hack that activated the inkgate and got me past the problem, but I never did get to fight the bosses that were guarding the Gallowsbog inkgate. The second time I got stuck, I read on the Neocore forum that they don't have a hack to get around it yet. So I cannot finish the game. Okay, I decided to spend some time playing the high-level scenarios until Neocore comes out with a hack. Alas, the second scenario I tried was again bugged and unfinishable. Too bad Neocore didn't invest in more comprehensive testing. It could be a pretty good game.

Which is worse spending money on a game that turns out to be not worth playing, or spending money on a game that is worth playing, but so broken that you cannot finish it?
  19. Dec 2, 2013
    Really a good game. Is not as deep as Diablo, but the gameplay is good, and the number of objects is huge. I really enjoyed the play of this game. I recommend it.
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    Well, in my opinion The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is a little bit a waste of time. But if you really like hack'and'slash games you will enjoy it. Also the voice acting is very good and humorous.
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    Every so often (not often enough for my liking) a game comes along that makes me smile. This is one of them, a real sparkler of a gem. Polished graphics, story, music and action aplenty. Best of all very addictive with a massive replay value, and very simple controls. My type of game.

Top notch stuff!
  22. Nov 29, 2013
    The glowing reviews are almost understandable. It's a pretty good game, it just falls short by just thaaaat much of being great.

At first the combat system made no sense, "what are these modifiers for my left and right clicks?" What's going on!? And then it makes sense and it's very exciting, a nifty system that I really like. But, here's where it falls short: It's really really limited
    in practice. You have rage as a resource and even though you have two bars of it, they both are depleted regardless of which skill you use. It would have been much better if each skill had it's own bar so you could juggle abilities. As it stands, you basically choose what you want to use and then you build up more rage by killing things. After you play for a while you really begin to feel how limiting it is to use basic attacks instead of combo attacks due to the rage system.

The class system is also pretty cool, but again it falls just short as you have to heavily invest in a just a few skills, so even though there are various options, you will find that you've gotten a bit tired of the same skills after hours of play, aka there's little variety unless you spend all your money to respec.

Mobs are another good/bad aspect of this game. The good is that bosses are interesting, very fun fights. The bad is that everything else even "special" mobs are boring, really boring. They just run up to you and that's it. Now, yes, it is an ARPG, and that's generally what happens in ARPGs, but I'm speaking very literally here. There's no mob variety in terms of what they do. They don't charge or teleport, or run away, or do anything. They just hit you. It's a real shame because the boss fights are actually top notch for the ARPG world.

Music is also good/bad. At times it really fits the mood and then it goes off on this tangent where you feel like you're waiting in line for a Disneyland ride. Really odd dichotomy, threw me off.

Lots of features and systems in place, nothing really cool happens with them. Alchemy, forging, stat buffs. It feels like they had a checklist of "things to add to the game" and then they did it, but they never put thought into them to make them special. I would have preferred only 1-2 systems, but done exceptionally well, maybe something that plays off of the combo system I dunno.

Anyway, for the price it's worth giving it a go. I would say most ARPG fans will enjoy it, even if it's just a small bit of fun before you move on to another game with a bit more depth.
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    Unbelievable what this team has produced and at such an affordable price.. ignore the flamers this game is great fun and a huge value. you can do the best of everything all in one.. they really paid attention to detail.
  24. Nov 15, 2013
    As a whole I would say Van Helsing was a fun experience, but it requires a few things to make it enjoyable. If you're going to play this game I would recommend getting the DLC characters and playing co-op with a friend on the harder difficulty settings. The game had issues with freezing/crashing and had some weird bugs in game; some being actually very awesome where our characters became invincible. In the end I enjoyed the game and got my moneys worth at $15. Expand
  25. Nov 6, 2013
    A wow of a game! I picked it up for a bargain and based on good reviews but I never expected such a fine rpg. Be sure, it is not a Diablo clone. This game has its own specific character and I love it. -----------------------------------GAMEPLAY This game just sucks you up as the time flies by. The controls are smooth, the user interface is fairly simple for such a complicated set of skills. You start slow from 2 basic skills and you end up with a whole arsenal of them, using all of them quickly to your advantage. There are multiple options and tactics how you want to set up your character. Generally it never gets boring, because the skills/tricks/auras system is very fine tuned to reflect the character level progress. There are swarms of enemies thrown at you and beating them to the ground is very satisfying. -----------------------GRAPHICS are very cool. The isometric view I like very much, yet the maps are beatiful and first and foremost, they live. You can smell the stinge if the swamp and the industrial areas in this game. The models are pretty poor up close, but in zoom out view everything looks very good. If there is a complaint here I`d say it is the system requirements often fps drop to low thirties which is wierd for such simple graphics so I guess optimization lacks a bit here. -----------------------------------------------MUSIC is very good. There are basicly two main music tracks that play through the whole game, besides some of the laboratories and dungeons. All of them fit the atmosphere very well and never bore the player.-------------------------------------------------------------
    I should also point out that I liked the dialogues very much. They are both clever and funny and enrich the overall image of the game.
    If I would complain about something is that the walkthrough was a bit too short. Approximately 26 hours, but you have to know to sit about 1/3 of it through managing your stash and artifacts.
    But nowadays even 26h is pretty good, even more that the game features three completely different characters and has many skills that cannot be covered in a one walkthrough.
    My biggest surprise of the 2013 and easily an 8 out of 10. I am anxiously waiting for expansions.
  26. Oct 26, 2013
    This is overall a nice game. But I can't get a grip on the story of the game. Though I haven't gotten far in the game, but I haven't found any Cinematic. But still, good game-play and cool graphics and PhysX. So for me its 10/7. By the way, I am not an ARPG fan. So I didn't enjoy games like Diablo III. But I do like this one! So it's a must have for all those ARPG fans. But for me, it's nice.
  27. Oct 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely golden; despite several poor voice actors (I'm looking at you, Mayor) and awkward typos, the experience is refreshing, unique, and extremely addicting. Expand
  28. Oct 2, 2013
    This was quite a pleasant surprise for a game that game out of nowhere (at least I haven't heard anything about it until it came out). Interesting story, fun characters and dialog. it was a bit short for an rpg but every bit was fun. The game is a bit hardware hungry if you want to run it on high settings and the final boss is hard to finish of.
  29. Oct 1, 2013
    An enjoyable game although not perfect, it does many things right and few things wrong in my opinion. I would not have been upset if this game had been on sale for $19.99 so at $14.99 it seems like a very good deal.

In my opinion the first act is the best part of the game once it moves on past that though it feels like they may have gotten bored developing the game, don't get me wrong
    it's not bad it's just not nearly as impressive to me as it was during the first act of the game.

There are some odd graphical issues such as coming upon a new area and seeing all the mobs standing there in a row until you get close enough for them to come to life and van they start moving around, but this is just a graphical issue and not gameplay issue.

I think if people enjoyed Diablo 2 or the game Titan quest they will likely enjoy this game as well, but if you are in love with the game Diablo 3 you may not be as enamored with Van Helsing as it may not feel nearly as polished as Diablo 3.

Overall I suggest this to my friends that enjoy action RPG games
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    Wow! I very impressed! This is really cool game. This game developed with love to details. Gameplay highly balanced. Graphic and art style very stylish and atmospheric. I highly recommend this game for all Hack-n-slash, acton RPG and Diablo fans.
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    The enviroment in Van Helsing is beautiful, although trees and fauna don't blow in the wind, Mobs tend to line up for you when they attack.. but beautiful art style, lovely particle effects and interesting events and story. Its clear this game is a labour of love and they've really pulled out the stops.

Im not that far in, but so far, its got great atmosphere, the chatter between
    Katarina and VH raises a smile and everything is clearly laid out. If i was to say anything at all.. it would be that in the heat of battle its hard to tell whose who with spells, lighting going everywhere, so make sure you keep an eye on healing.

Great Work Guys.. looking forward to new DLC and improvements.
  32. Sep 18, 2013
    Such a great game, in an amazing setting, full filled with myths combined in a steampunk universe.
    I really liked the new skill powerups and the unforgetable Katarina who served as a great help, besides she's jokes and voice acting.

Waiting for the new sequel
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    Nice idea. Nice visuals. Gameplay okay. Music nice.

Bad QA/QC, poor optimisation, variable voice acting (some very poor), some questionable design (e.g. skills/perks).
  34. Aug 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed the game. Gameplay, levels, skills and weapon variability are really good and progression is enjoyable. But the best thing in this game is humor.
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    Ok, in the world of hack and slash this game is an absolute gem. I can't fail it at all. It has all:

1. Great enveronments
    2. Fast responsive gameplay
    3. Deep skill tree
    4. Amazing music!!!!
    5. Great sound effects and voice work
    6. Unique universe
    7. Exciting narrative
    8. Price is really TOO low.

Thank you devs for making such an amazing game.
  36. Aug 26, 2013
    this game was glitchy garbage. repetitive gameplay and combat, with endless swarms of monsters this game left little to be desired. it felt like a long, boring, exhaustive grind with the only bright side being momentary flashes of new loot. unfortunately it isnt enough to save this diablo 1 clone albiet without the moving story or challenging boss battles. they try and make it slightly complex with some nonsense about mixing rage in with skills, however it just falls flat on its face in execution.

despite all its faults i was determined to bite my teeth and grind through the last few levels only to come upon a game ending glitch in the form of a 2nd defense mission, where u fight off 3 waves of nearly unending monsters. when the last monster on the third wave is killed the game instantly crashes to desktop every time, despite being uninstalled and reinstalled. Honestly im glad to be able to uninstall it, as its a joke that this badly producted of a game takes up nearly 20 gigs.

the only people who can enjoy this are those who glorify the low budget and production levels of the indie games, those who can overlook glaring faults and disgustingly repetitive gameplay. dont excuse a game for its low price point and long grinding battles full of mashing the attack button over and over, which since it doubles as a movement button a la diablo (but not as well done) will force you to continually run up to monsters that youd rather stay away from simply because the first one finally managed to die thus leaving a void where ur character decides to suicide himself into.

had this game actually worked throughout i might have given it a 3-4 rating however since i was spent 24 levels causing myself carpal tunnel syndrome with the exhaustive clicking only to reach a bug/glitch that made the rest of the game unplayable (since theres no way to save or go back to the prior quest) this game well deserves its rating of 0
  37. Aug 22, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game. It is beautifully designed and looks very polished. The Eastern European/Slavic fantasy setting is really interesting and fits the scenario perfectly. The voice acting is well done, especially Katarina's comments made me chuckle a few times. The item crafting system is a lot of fun to experiment with. Nitpicks: Van Helsing looks a bit weird, especially when you get him new gear. My avatar ended up looking more like a circus cowboy than a monster hunter. The Level Ups could be more visible (at times, I only realized I had leveled up when I was already halfway through the EXP bar again). The ending comes a little abruptly. I was sad when the game was over, but I guess that's a good sign. One playthrough takes about 12-15 hours. I didn't get all the abilities unlocked and didn't do all the quests so I would say it's good for another go. Looking forward to the sequel. Expand
  38. Aug 15, 2013
    Combat was different, sometimes fighting dozens of mobs at once, I finished the game and very much enjoyed it, but haven't play it again after that, so something was lacking for me or I just have too many choices. 8) Other friends on Steam seemed to have stopped playing it once finished also, so I am probably not alone.
    Graphically it's wonderful, it's not a 10 due to the combat lacking,
    just a little bit too repetitive.
    Definitely recommended though, played longer than many games 2-4x the price.
  39. Aug 7, 2013
    A wonderful game that has been massively overlooked. NeocoreGames is an extremely talented group of individuals that deserve more than they got out of this game. Very difficult at times, the gameplay is fun, the story mostly engaging, the characters likeable if not memorable and the world is full of brilliant design and lots of creativity. Although lacking overall polish, the game runs smoothly and with little to no troubles. Expand
  40. Aug 2, 2013
    Szkoda że Val Helsing nie ukazał się rok temu. Miałbym dużą radochę patrząc jak taki mały "pierdek" próbuje konkurować z Diablo III czy Torchlichtem 2. Powiem od razu, zawiodłem się totalnie. Co prawda, nie oczekiwałem od tej gry czegoś wielkiego, jednak nie spodziewałem się że będzie to głównie kłębek pomysłów z Tochlicht'a czy z Diablo III. Fabuła jest totalnie nudnawa, dialogi robione tak aby można było łatwo zasnąć przed komputerem. Do tego mapy, czy głównie spawny przeciwników. Strasznie dużo czasu straciłem na bezmyślnym klikaniu klawiszy myszki. Twórcy po prostu bezmyślnie rozplanowali walkę. Co prawda pojawia się tu parę ciekawych pomysłów, ale spawnowanie 20 przeciwników jest głupie. Samo przeprowadzanie kampanii, brak jakiegokolwiek pokazania celu na mapie jest strasznie denerwujące. Zdarza się że trzeba 20 minut biegać głupio po mapie żeby wreszcie znaleźć miejsce o którym myśleli twórcy. Do tego bugi, niedopracowania i momentami szpetna grafika. Co prawda, ogólnie grafika wygląda dość fajnie, mrocznie i nie tak słabo jak w Diablo czy Torchlich'cie. Rozgrywkę da się czasami przeżyć, czasami walczy się nawet przyjemnie, jednak oczekiwałbym czegoś więcej. Moja ocena 6/10 Expand
  41. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is really good to play and has a great story and good graphics. And it is not so expensive as so many other games. I play through the game about 5-20 hours :)

So buy the game :D
  42. Jul 29, 2013
    The game provides a working concept of Hack'n'Slash game type (with not insignificant ingredient of character development lot of attributes, skills, game/character strategy). A splendid amusement while playing this game spiced up with super-funny companion. Nevertheless, the game (and its difficutly) culminates weirdly odd hordes (really!) of enemies instead of stronger ones the quantity beat the quality.

Anyway, the game is worth of buying, you will never regret. Enjoy!
  43. Jul 24, 2013
    Great hack'n'slash game with nice graphics, and perfect dialogs! The scenario is good as well. I expected something like that from DIablo3, and I hope Neocore will make more DLCs in future.
  44. Jul 22, 2013
    i don't understand this games high score. its a painfully repetitive hack'n'slash with little to no replayability. if you haven't already, go buy torchlight 2 instead, its a much better game than this.
  45. Jul 22, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing give a good Arpg game experience! Setting- loot -dialogue -skill-ability tree- graphics all well done.
    +10 Neocore
  46. Jul 21, 2013
    Unbelievable graphics and all the fun I wished both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 had... completely missed the game at launch, ignored it when I was checking through steam games until it was on sale and took a chance; now my favourite game of recent time and it runs flawlessly good on a overclocked GT555m XPS 17 (810mhz with 9v unlocked bios) even with shadows set to maximum, highest character details and AA enabled! Expand
  47. Jul 20, 2013
    If this game had any kind of real endgame (the scenario mode is very flat and uninspired imo) or NG+, I'd easily rank this behind Torchlight 2 for best recent game in genre for the less hardcore crowd that PoE doesn't appeal to. Game is fun, and there's some decent comedy but it has plenty of flaws. Short (only 10 hours or so), very basic (only 2 skill active skill slots, only 2 trees ranged/melee, lacks class/build options of other hack & slash games), and is essentially done once you beat the final boss. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next edition but will again wait for a sale. Expand
  48. Jul 17, 2013
    Sound, aesthetics and atmosphere are all top notch combined with excellent and some unique to the genre gameplay make this a must buy for any fans of ARPGs.

For the price, this would make an excellent entry to the genre for those on the fence.

There are only two flaws that comes to mind some of the voice acting and script of some of the characters are a bit cringe worthy and the lack
    of character selection/customization, more then made up for imo by the partnership of your character the titular Van Helsing and his charming companion the Lady Katarina. Expand
  49. Jul 17, 2013
    Aside from all players in multiplayer games looking exactly the same and playing the exact same character the game feels and plays amazing! Great graphics, great story, awesome gameplay and loot. Highly recommend this game, especially for the price.
  50. Jul 15, 2013
    Great fun especially now that co-ops in and working. Stunning graphics simple but not too simple combat plenty of loot that lacks variety but is still pretty BA looking at endgame compared to what you started with. There are some pretty bad voice actors but Katerina and Van Helsing are done well and the scripts nothing out of the ordinary but still is better than a lot of recent ARPGs.

For 11 bucks this an amazing deal
  51. Jul 15, 2013
    This game has good and bad things, just like every other game, but let's start with the good ones.

It's not an easy game, but you don't need to grind. Sometimes you will feel like hitting a wall, enemies get a lot stronger, but you can catch up after some minutes of fight, and death maybe
    Skills. When I started the game, I was like "wow, I can use just that?", and then I realized that
    "just that" was more than enough to make me happy
    Great follower. If you played Diablo 3, you know that the follower is just there to be useless. But your follower in this game is outstanding. She is strong, has tons of auras to help you and dies hard, can loot items for you too

But there are bad stuff:

Sounds are bad. The voice acting sucks, so does the music after the first hour
    Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong loading screens. Really, I think I spent more time in loading screens than playing the game. When I die, I prefer to pay a bit of my gold and get up in the same map than have to go to the base and face 2 loading screens
    Story doesn't matter. I expected more from that. The story is bad, I'm almost in the end of the game and I don't know why I'm playing

Some people complain about the multiplayer. It doesn't really matter for me, I like playing alone. When they released the game, it was not working, but some patches made it decent. There is still a problem or two though

The game can offer hours of fun, just don't let the poor story and the loading screens let you down
  52. Jul 8, 2013
    I picked this little gem up to tide me over for a little bit between big blockbuster releases and it does not disappoint. As far as bang for the buck it's very good. Will it compete with triple A productions like Diablo? No, it will not. However for about 25% of the cost of Diablo you can get a wildly enjoyable game.

The artwork and gameplay are refreshing and I've never seen such
    ridiculous hordes of monsters in any action RPG I've ever played. The sheer volume of critters coming at you is mind blowing and there's a surprising degree of depth in the build options and itemization. Crafting is pretty lightweight, but enjoyable and I wasted multiple hours trying to build the perfect weapons in my play through.

It will not have the replayability of multi-characer D3, but it's a solid 10 game for the money.
  53. Jul 4, 2013
    A well-made action-RPG with a good balanced gameplay, high dynamics, awesome setting and a good humor. It has a few technical glitches, poor endgame but it doesn't matter you get ~20 hours of awesome gameplay for only 15$. This game's big advantage is that it's actually fun to play. It doesn't offer you a deep intriguing story, but it offers a few puzzles, dialogues between Van Helsing and Katarina which in most cases make you smile, decent voice acting in terms of interaction with NPCs.

Also I'd rather not compare it with Diablo or Torchlight, because they are endgame-oriented games, unlike Van Helsing. Also it's ridiculous how people call D3's or (Critics have mercy) Torchlight's story better. D3's story fits ~2 hours of gameplay on normal mode, after that you can simply repeat it 3 more times (don't forget the grind for gear and 2nd/3rs classes or hardcore, so maybe it'll be 5, 7, 10, 20 times) of exactly the same story. How's that a better story? Who watches the same a movie 5 times in a row however good it is? And Torchlight 2's story is linear and absolutely uninteresting with an attempt for a "twist" in the end which actually at first left me in a confusion, because it's ending was sucked out of vacuum and almost not related to everything we've seen before.
  54. Jun 30, 2013
    So i bought and download a copy with pretty good expectations from all I've read. I think i figured out why the critics have been so hard on this game. It's clear that big companies pay them. For example look at Diablo III. Outdated graphics, horrible set up with the Real Money auction house, Incredibly short game you just play the same four acts in different difficulties (which in diablo 2 was understandable for its much smaller disk space but now it was just a dumb excuse to be cheap). The "helpers" were completely unbalanced and so stupidly useless after a certain point. All in all diablo 3 was an insanely retarded game considering the price and being it was made by a HUGE company. Yet the critics gave it HUGE ratings while actual players gave them terrible ratings. While here in this game its vice versa (hmmm... wierd). You have a game that is MUCH better visually and even in sound and is incredibly fun plus much bigger and finally the cost is less than a third of what diablo 3 was. So why would a game that is 3 times better than diablo 3 and costing 3 times less be rated 72/100 when diablo was 88/100. My point is video game critics have NO credibility anymore. stick to user ratings. Expand
  55. Jun 26, 2013
    A enjoyable hack an slash game, which was excellently priced. It had a lot better setting than both Diablo III and Torchlight 2, but it wasn't quite as polished in terms of gameplay as these games, but I preferred it overall and I will play the sequel.

I am not into loot based aspect of these type of games, as I only tend to play through them once as I find them rather repetitive, but I
    like RPG's as a genre, it was a nice touch doing a tower defence section, but I hate that style of game, but I will give credit to the developers to there continued support of the game unlike so other developers. Expand
  56. Jun 25, 2013
    Bo-bo-boring and repetitive game. Good at the beginning, but pretty soon you realize it is more or less the same enemies and items, with different descriptions. Also, it's really hardware demanding so if you have a slightly aged PC, best leave it be.
  57. Jun 23, 2013
    A cheap remake of diablo 3, which was already a bad game. Good for those who have nothing better to do during the day and want to spend a few hours enjoying a game that seems to have been done in 2003.
  58. Jun 20, 2013
    This game is absolute trash. The single-player aspect was 'ok' at best for all of the two hours it took to finish it. The multi-player aspect... well, there isn't one. The game was marketed to have one, but it was released without one, and still doesn't have one. The game doesn't run through Steam correctly, so any character you use will not work online (assuming it's developed).
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    It's addictive, but almost nothing about the game is well-balanced, impressive, or that fun. With a ranged character, all of the mobs are always stronger than you, meaning the gameplay reduces to running round in circles letting off area effect rounds from a blunderbuss. The loot is mind-boggling, it's impossible to tell whether a drop is better than your current equipment without looking through the stats, and even then it's too complex to decide if the critical hit bonus or the elemental damage bonus or the attack speed is more useful. For a game with so many inter-related stats it works surprisingly well, and the mobs somehow manage to continue being exactly as much tougher than you all the way through the game, without getting noticeably easier or impossible to beat. I'm tempted to think there is a much simpler system behind it all and the game just gives the impression you're tinkering with dozens of little plus and minus buttons on the character sheet that do stuff.

The enjoyable futility of the gameplay and gear progression is a lot like Deathspank. But unlike that game, none of the monsters involve any particular tactic. Diablo is a much better piece of work than Van Helsing, and I think the positive comments here are probably due to the game giving an excellent first impression for a budget title it is extremely well-polished and professional looking. It just has a crummy gameplay mechanic. A lot of reviewers seem to like the witty dialogue too, but I think the constant subtle references to other games like Skyrim, Dishonored, Orcs Must Die and probably some others I can't put my finger on are more fun.
  60. Jun 14, 2013
    A pretty good Diablo 3 clone. Good story and fun/challenging combat. that I'm enjoying. Again, much taken from D3, but a good game for $15 is still a good game. I recommend.
  61. Jun 12, 2013
    Good RPG in the vein of Dungeon Siege.
    Click and slash your way through hordes of monsters while picking up items and such.
    The atmosphere is well done as a Victorian/steam punk world with science gone wrong. This is despite some odd modern culture references which do feel out of place (although the Hitch Hikers Guide reference did make me laugh).
    The main problem is that it becomes a
    bit repetitive later on as some areas are enormous. Don't get me wrong, it is not boring but after a while I started craving for something different. I guess Diablo fans won't mind it too much.
    What you cannot argue with is the price. It is cheap and you get a lot of game for very little money. A LOT!
    Not the best game out there but well worth the asking price.
  62. Jun 11, 2013
    A great game for a good price, I very liked playing with it. In my opinion it's better than Torchlight 1 & 2 (who are great too), It's also a good alternative to Diablo III.
  63. Jun 8, 2013
    Have spent 14 hours on this game so far. It has some 'bug' issues but I really like all the items in the game, the graphics and the story so far. The voice acting is also decent in my opinion. The game was worth the $14.
  64. Jun 7, 2013
    Wow, the best $11.99 I've ever spent..

I was a little skeptic against the Van Helsing franchise because I thought this would be a game trying to use the title to attract some audience.. Oh boy, wasn't I wrong?

This game doesn't revolutionize the genre but it shows that with a little bit attention to detail, you can still introduce an original game into an already crowded ARPG
    market..

The level design is better than both D3 and TL2 and with the help of great music, game creates a great atmosphere. Maps suck you in an you want to investigate every corner of the game. Skill tree is a little basic but it covers the main areas that are indispensable for the genre. Voice acting has some amateur taste to it but the dry humor throughout the game shows that developers don't take themselves very seriously. They obviously tried to create a great looking fun game and nailed it.

The whole experience reminded me the first time a played Witcher and how pleasantly surprised I was with a game from an unknown studio. I will keep supporting this game by buying whatever DLC they release and I'm hoping these guys will follow the footsteps of CD Projekt RED and make enough money to come up with an epic sequel.
  65. Jun 7, 2013
    Great game! 20-30 hours for one play through. Multiple skills, abilities, and variety of enemies. Better than most games being put out now.
  66. Jun 6, 2013
    Amazing game! On the one line with torchlight series! Looks brilliant with a sense of humor, tale references. Really recommend this game who completed diablo/titan quest/torchlight series. 10/10
  67. Jun 5, 2013
    Great game. Lots of fun for me. Best humor in hack n slash history. Plot isn't bad at all. And characters are marvelous. Playing this Van Helsing rpg was really great. If You like Diablo or Torchlight You should definitely play this one too. It could be even better because of steam-punk climate.
  68. Jun 4, 2013
    Van Helsing is a hack 'n slash game that I actually enjoyed playing till the end. Games like Diablo 3 have a deeper story, and more character customization, but after a couple of hours they tend to become repetitive and boring. Van helsing counters that by introducing new gameplay elements (it contains a tower defense mini game) keeping things alive and interesting, and the witty humor keeps you throughout the game entertained. Why not a 10, while it seems to do everything right? The storyline, although definitely not bad, could be better. Gameplay wise it introduces nothing new to the hack 'n slash genre. That said, this game is well enough to be recommended to people who are not fan of the hack 'n slash genre. Expand
  69. Jun 3, 2013
    The more I play Van Helsing the more I like Torchligth 2. Reasons here: http://www.viewforum.net/gaming-dept-171/incredible-adventures-van-helsing-great-expectations-game-review-3359/
  70. Jun 2, 2013
    I look sceptically at new entries into this genre, but was rather delighted at how stylish and witty Van Helsing is, with enough of a fresh take on the ARPG to make it well worth the price. I especially enjoy the interaction between your character and his companion, and it's touches like that making this feel like a living world, rather than a long string of monsters to click on. For an ARPG, that makes all the difference. Expand
  71. Jun 2, 2013
    Judging on the first playthrough, I found that the combat, balance, story, and overall fun is actually comparable to the iconic game like Diablo 3, and even better than Torchlight and Diablo 2. But the replay value is actually low because there is only one class (even though the skill tree is diverse enough that you can play at least 3 playthroughs with it), and the dungeon is the same (they are not randomly generated.) So if you think 15$ is worth the 50 hours of entertainment (15 hours each playthrough), then buy it. But this is not a game you will spend 100+ hours on like Torchlight or Diablo's. This is more along the line of dragon age with less rpg factor.

By the way, the producers seem to still work on the replay value by adding post-game stuffs. If that is improved, this game deserves a score of 10.
  72. Jun 2, 2013
    I cannot believe that absolutely nobody seems to get the drift that this one is better than D3.
    While one of the biggest and most famous PC entertainment companies takes 12 years to produce a successor to one of his most popular games, this rather small company releases a top quality game that is much better in nearly any category.
    I love the enhancements (D3 plus Torchl* plus more), the
    skill tree, the graphics and especially the humour, mainly performed by your companion, the ghost.
    Of course this is a D3 clone, but with lots of things that makes it better.
    The only things that could be better:
    a) More content this part is ca. 1 chapter of D3; but for the price it is ok.
    b) Unfortunately the skill tree mainly is focused on melee vs. ranged weapons there are no different characters.
    Even with this drawbacks the game is lots of fun give it a try if you love D3!
  73. Jun 1, 2013
    Pros: Cheap Price
    Lots of content for money paid
    Detailed environments
    Fun gameplay
    Fitting soundtrack

Cons: Technical hiccups here and there

For the price you can't get much more bang for the buck, job well done Neocore
  74. Jun 1, 2013
    I had and have absolute fun in this game. This game proves that if you are original and can create atmosphere you are GOLD!

I had more fun in this game than Diablo III on all modes.

Keep it up dev!
  75. May 31, 2013
    A great Action RPG.

This game borrowed fairly heavily from the torchlight series in terms of game mechanics, and thats ok. In fact, I think they did it better then the original, and the story all the way through was fairly interesting.

The game is about 20 hours long to crawl all the side quest. The polish seems great. There were only a couple bad voice actors--most of it was
    good, and the dialog was witty and funny in the midst of a bunch of hack and slash awesome adventuring. I hear the multiplayer is a bit buggy, but I didn't do any of that. Single player was rock solid, with one exception where the final boss was able to attack me during his epic cut scene. This was no biggie, as I had plenty of cash to just respawn in place.

Perhaps my only complaint with this game is that I had absolutely TONS of gold the whole way through. There were prices for things, and it really didn't matter what they were because I could never spend all my money because sitting there and buying everything from the random item shop is boring.
  76. May 31, 2013
    T.I.A. of Van Helsing is a very nice, sold at a small price...
    ... game to buy for all lovers of the hack'n'slash!!

A great atmosphere, numerous weapons and ability, a lot of monster and enemies.... really good.
  77. May 30, 2013
    I have been playing this non stop. What an awesome game and I cannot believe it is so cheap. Only £10.00. This is a fantastic hack and slash quite similar to the Torchlight games. There is some great humour in this game mostly provided by Katarina who I absolutely love. She is a very useful AI companion with a well thought out set of commands and behaviours that can be changed on the fly. The combat system is great, nothing innovative or new but it works very well and is easy to pick up. There are some very funny easter eggs hidden in this game that I won't spoil. The online mode is a bit buggy at the moment but adds replay value and the devs are working hard to fix these bugs. I have not experienced any game breaking glitches or bugs. Patch recently has already improved things. All in all I really love this game and highly recommend it. Expand
  78. May 30, 2013
    Nice gameplay, excellent soundtracks, it costs 10€ and it is great RPG experience! Nothing original, but who needs that? Only con is not enough specialization (no professions) You always play just Van Helsing. That also cause you have no temptation to play the game repeatedly.
  79. May 29, 2013
    This game is amazing, i read that people are saying it doesn't have shadows. They should be on by default but you can switch them on in advanced graphics settings. It looks quite good.

For the money this is easily a 10 out of 10. Haven't had this much fun in a game since I finished Tombraider and this is much easier to get into.

I was never all that pleased with Diablo 3 and this is
    far better and more varied to play. Sure some of the voice a cting is a bit crook but some of it is good too.

It is just fun working out the best way to take down enemies and everything is just so super smooth at 60 fps or above.

I really hope they do add on packs to this game as i would buy them.
  80. May 29, 2013
    Great game. Not perfect but extremely fun. The gameplay is identical to diablo 3, but better. Drops are better, more enemies to fight, quicker pace. And the biggest plus of all is that this game costs 15$ usd compared to diablo 3 at 60$.
  81. May 29, 2013
    I am really enjoying this game. You can tell a lot of effort was put into this to make it a game people would want to play...and best of all, no auction house! Action RPGs take a lot of time to program and perfect and they are quickly taking the time to iron out some small bugs and perfect the online multiplayer (which has been broken by lag for people who join games). They are releasing patches on a daily basis...which is impressive to me. The game is fun and the developers care. That means a lot. Expand
  82. May 29, 2013
    WOW! It delivers what Diablo 3 screwed up (Auction house/worthless in-game gold). It delivers what Torchlight II never had, a wonderful story (and voice acting). Also the mechanics are so refined I completely forgot that it only has 2 classes (skill trees). The actually useful and funny companion in single player is also a big plus. All in all very good job! I really hope NeocoreGames gets rich with it so they can make a sequel with tons of content. Expand
  83. May 29, 2013
    I bought the game yesterday and played whole day i must say it is not perfect, yes there are some bugs but for the price of 10 euros it is more than worth to play. Graphic is very good, atmosphere is like you are in film about Count Dracula. So much to explore is more than welcome. Customisation of the character is very good, you have to choose what to equip making yourself better for fighting with enemies. Ghost companion is very helpful. I usually don't play this type of games, but this one is keeping me in front of pc monitor for whole day. Everyone who is willing to spend some small amount of US dollars or EUROS won't make mistake by buying this game. Expand
  84. May 29, 2013
    This game is surprisingly good. Its not the best out there in its genre but everything in this one is quite solid. The combat is great&fun and visuals are really nice. It does get somewhat repetitive after in a while but I still find myself playing it after 8 hours in. If you are fan of the genre this game is worth trying out for its excellent pricing also. For 15€ or less this game is a good deal. This game is not trying to be more than it is and its worth every cent it asks for. Expand
  85. May 29, 2013
    I have to say it was better then i ever dreamed of. It has an almost perfect balance between action and funny stuff (and the funny stuff/easter eggs are really well made and almost all of them made me giggle) and on top of that it has a bit of strange-horrorish feeling even tho it's not in big amounts. Overall i had a great time in this game and i am happy i was able to play it. Will give it a 9 considering it came out so well and it (from my pov) beat Diablo from many points of view even from a technical one when it comes down to skills, perks, stats and the actually USEFUL assistant with it's own skills, perks, stats inventory and options.

Some minuses that for me would have made it a 10:
    - Mobs don't respawn once u kill them like in diablo after u log out/in again. That would have made the whole experience last longer. Now if u finish the game there's nothing to do in general.
    - The droprate (if any) for epics is almost nonexistent.
    - Combining yellow items 99.(9)% of times has no chance of giving u an epic.
    - More use of minigames like the tower defense. That from my pov is an extremely strong feature that could be exploited.
    - A bit better graphics/movies is always a but as is it didn't ruin the gameplay what so ever.
    - SHORTER GAME NAME..come on...the name of the game is sarcastically long.
    - More character customization & better looking items would be nice. Most of them are well done and in the tone of the game, but even so. Maybe the camera angle was at fault?
    - DLC. Definitelly needs DLCs and stuff
    - Even more hidden objectives/quests and so on those are awesome and something that is lacking in D3.

Thanks to the developers for giving us such an awesome experience with this game. Haven't had such fun in this type of game since D1/2
  86. May 28, 2013
    Don't be put off by the bad reviews, i swear you will enjoy this game. I bought it hesitating but i am glad i did. Pretty damn hard but it is really fun!
  87. May 28, 2013
    Better, cheaper, and longer than Diablo 3. Combat is fluid and fulfilling. The combo system that allows to to customize your abilities is fantastic. Don't miss this game, it is well worth the price.
  88. May 28, 2013
    Awesome game, and worth every cent of the twelve euros I paid for it. The game has a great skill system, and the quests and humor are refreshing; especially so early on in the game. Difficulty is done right, with the hardest difficulty being adequately hard and balenced well.

Things to note:
    mobs dont respawn, so unless you do things the creators obviously didn't intend, the possible
    xp is limited. Furthermore, there is no endgame; after 15-20 hours the game is finished and your only option for replayability is restarting with a new build or going hardcore.

Don't expect a full game for 12 euros however. There are only around 40 hours of play available, but those hours do count!
  89. May 27, 2013
    Just an unbelievably solid game for the price. Only two complaints. 1. As a lot of others have said, some of the VO is a little hokey. Fits with the theme, but could be better. 2. There's no save game plus feature. So if I finish normal mode and want to move on to hard mode, I have to reroll a new character. I'd love to see an option where my same character can press on with his hard earned loot.

Couldn't put it down all weekend. Won't find a better arpg for $60, let along the $13 price tag.
  90. May 27, 2013
    It's a big surprise... A clone of Diablo is obvious but it is really a good game costing nothing but few bucks... but please, tell to Klausreiner giving a 0 this is NOT a movie... he is a bit confused... :-D
  91. May 27, 2013
    A great game not just for the price although it is very cheap. You should absolutely enjoy it for what it is. A simple fresh action RPG with great mechanics, tactical gameplay and a surprisingly gripping atmosphere, A definite must have.
  92. May 27, 2013
    This is a really good game. Pure APRG gold. I can't believe it's only $15. It's amazing how well polished an ARPG can be when there is only one "class" to balance.
  93. May 26, 2013
    Great game so far. I'm about 6 hours into it, and that's all the time I really need to make a clear decision that this game is an absolute steal at $14. It is a game conceived of Diablo and Torchlight ingredients, but simultaneously having its own original themes. The gameplay is designed to keep you busy with multiple hotkey commands (potions, spells, etc.), as hordes of enemies aren't far from every step you take. I have a high standard for RPG's/ARPG's, and while this is no Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Skyrim, this is as good as it gets for a hack 'n' slash. Expand
  94. May 26, 2013
    Amazing ARPG!! Totally did not expect this one. So many things work great in this game, though there are a couple small flaws. If you enjoyed Torchlight 1/2 or Titan Quest, this is a well-worth purchase!

The characters, Van Helsing and Lady Katarina (a ghost!), work great together. It helps that the voice acting is incredibly well-done, something which seems rather rare for
    indie/lower-budget games. NPC's are all voiced, which is pretty nice, but there are a few exceptions (but it adds to the humor!). Your companion can be a bit of a smartass, which works well in the dark fantasy/mechanical (ish?) setting. There's tons of wit in pretty much every part of the game and are also a number of references, as well.

Gameplay is solid, though the pathing and movement can be a -little- off. You will find that your deaths come from being surrounded quite often. It isn't quite as smooth as Diablo III, but the enemies are, in general, better designed. There are a lot of "dodgeable" things, which is ideal in an ARPG instead of everything just auto-hitting you. You have both a sword and a gun to equip, along with all of the other usual pieces of gear. You can also equip your lovely companion with some other gear and she has many options for combat and loot. She can be set to ranged, melee, or passive (if you keep her passive, you get 10% all defense). Also, you can set her to pick up any rarity of items and any item that sells for less than whatever amount of gold. Of course, she has an inventory as well and can be sent back to do your shopping/selling/whatever. Lastly, mobs don't seem to respawn in single-player... which is a little odd. It may get fixed, who knows.

The other lacking trait of the game would probably be the number of skills. There are two main trees, melee and ranged, and two smaller trees. The smaller trees contain passives skills and misc. active skills of which you can only have two of each active at one time. It would be nice if there were more trees or just more skills for the two trees. The skills don't have a huge amount of creativity to them, but for the most part, are balanced. There are a couple "weak" skills, but nothing too bad.

But, don't let those small flaws stop you!!!!!!! There are tons of "hidden" items and bonus content. Quite a few easter eggs. It's incredibly well-done in this regard, and trumps any other ARPG. If you love finding hidden stuff, this is a perfect game for you! (Pay attention to every detail!) I felt like I was playing a Monkey Island ARPG, almost.

The music is good and fitting with the theme, but it sounds a little bit repetitive. Still not bad though. After a while, you may choose to turn on your own tunes, though.

Definitely another great game for 2013. A hidden gem, looking at how few main critic reviews there are so far! It's an incredible adventure well worth the $15. Certainly a better investment than Diablo III !
    Total bargain!

Summary:
    Gameplay: 8.8
    Graphics: 9.0
    Music: 7.5
    Humor: 9.5
    Easter Eggs: 10.0
    Skills/Depth: 8.0
    Overall Value (quality per cost?): 9.5
  95. May 26, 2013
    It seems this game was actually played by its developers, since it is full of convenience features so missing from others. Namely, your companion collects loot automatically, all and any loot. Finally. It was an enjoyable game with lots of funny conversations and many easter-eggs. However, I don't feel any urge to replay it; I have a couple of achievements left, such as kill thousands of creatures, try not to kill the cute enemies, etc. I think it's well worth the money, and maybe underpriced. Maybe the DLCs will bring fresh energy into the game. Expand
  96. May 26, 2013
    Arpg+ hack and slash, skill tree for both you and your companion attributes ,enchanting crafting, socketing, reputation and combat system that's both fluid and enjoyable i just loved this game and can't wait for a sequel
  97. May 26, 2013
    This is one of the best action RPG indie game of this year. I've just finished the whole game it is freaking awesome, as I've just said one of the best action RPG game of this year but I would expected more than this game, It's obvious that the developers had received influence from Diablo II, the setting of this game it's so similar to Diablo II's setting, I liked that too much because I expected that Diablo III would have the same setting than Diablo II but it wouldn't. But anyway, it's a really good game and it has less than a week so it is going to improve. Expand
  98. X0R
    May 26, 2013
    What an awesome hidden gem IMHO this is a perfect game, cheap, actually fun for as much as, or even less, than what I've paid just for DLC on other games. For me, this is what I hoped for from Diablo3, which was overpriced and flooded with bugs and ultimately disappointing to me. The graphics & sound are fine, the gameplay is addictive. I can't wait for updates and future content from Neocore Games! Expand
  99. May 25, 2013
    One of a 2-3 games I can give full 10/10 to. The Incredible of Van Helsing has: nice setting (different from being just another fantasy set in nowhere), nice SFX, great voiceover, astonishing visuals and graphics, a lot of sarcasm, very few dungeons (going for open locations instead), curious differences from more traditional ARPGs (such as no monster respawn and consequently, lack of farming)

It has its share of minor bugs, but dev team appear to be actively collection feeddback and reports, so I suppose the game will be perfected soon enough
  100. DMV
    May 25, 2013
    I cannot recommend this game enough to any fans of the hack and slash genre. It is absolutely solid in every aspect of it's delivery, the dialog is fairly witty and rarely annoying, the combat has a substantial amount of depth for customization and the overall atmosphere is wonderful. I should also mention that this is an older styled ARPG in that there are a significant amount of secrets hidden within it, if you pay attention to your environment, and talk to npcs you would otherwise ignore.

Few things though: There is no new game+, and there are a few issues with multiplayer(two patches have landed within the last 2 days, and both seemed to have fixed it for the most part. Rest assured, they're taking care of any bugs, though I ran into little to none.
    The new game+ was mentioned by devs as something they're looking into as they add DLC(free) in the future.
  101. May 24, 2013
    You can't have better hack'n'slash rpg for so low price. Design, music, sounds, scenery, rpg-system match highest standarts. Also u have great companion (not as great as Elizabeth, though) with hilarious sense of humor.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing does in no way tread new ground in the action genre. But it is still atmospheric and sucks you in with it’s combat and loot system. The online mode suffers from many bugs and the adventure does never reach the heights of games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2.
  2. Aug 16, 2013
    Van Helsing is long and unwieldy, but its schlocky tone prevents it becoming too frustrating of a grind. [Oct 2013, p.65]
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Overall, I had fun with Van Helsing and it provides a lot of gameplay for a title that can be had for under $20. If Diablo style games aren't your thing, you'll want to give it a pass, but otherwise it's worth adding to your game library.