6.9

1. Feb 23, 2012
    I looked over at the Critics Review and I honestly had to question if they and I were playing the same game. My consensus is that flashy graphics automatically give you a 7 on most of these sites and the rest is just jelly on the burnt toast. The game is real time strategy with tactical unit based combat...basically Total War. Unfortunately it doesn't rip enough off Total War to be a goodI looked over at the Critics Review and I honestly had to question if they and I were playing the same game. My consensus is that flashy graphics automatically give you a 7 on most of these sites and the rest is just jelly on the burnt toast. The game is real time strategy with tactical unit based combat...basically Total War. Unfortunately it doesn't rip enough off Total War to be a good game, however because it fits so closely in their genre it will ceaselessly be compared to a vastly better game, even though Medieval 2 was their weakest title in the series. It adds RPG elements which allow you to customize your units King Arthur style but these don't really add anything to the game as you will only choose the attack or armour bonuses. Your units are unbalanced and cumbersome, their strength ranges from almost indestructible to absolutely worthless. The campaign missions become repetitive and disconnected, they are historically accurate...relatively, but the units seem to be more varied in fantasy. And some of these fantasy units are so overpowered that they throw any sense of balance out the portcullis. A lesson learned for Neocore games, people will tolerate unbalanced gameplay as long as it is based in realism, but when it's complete fantasy it ruins gameplay. The economy is non-existent, inventory is restrictive, and factions are uninteresting and offer token rewards. As a matter of fact factions are absent on the game map aside from the Saracens, so think of what little political intrigue there was in Medieval 2 and multiply it by 0.

The selling point of this game is the graphics, which on medium to lower systems will look terrible anyways, besides a game should never try to sell itself based on graphics alone, that's why we have movies. If you're looking for more Total War experience in new and different settings there are literally hundreds of user made Mods out there. Instead of playing this game I would recommend you support the modding community and in the process enjoy a superior gaming experience.
  2. Sep 5, 2011
    The controls are easy and the game is a good Total War-like clone where you manage your army in combat. You basically take over territories without retribution. I somewhat expected the Saracens to attempt to reconquer lost territory, but they never did. Also, your inventory is limited in size, so you have to distribute your items or sell them to see them all. There is no inventoryThe controls are easy and the game is a good Total War-like clone where you manage your army in combat. You basically take over territories without retribution. I somewhat expected the Saracens to attempt to reconquer lost territory, but they never did. Also, your inventory is limited in size, so you have to distribute your items or sell them to see them all. There is no inventory scrolling if you have too many items.

Overall, I found the game as fun and like a quick map diversion ---- until I got to the very last campaign.

As rwh1 states, it crashes. The game played almost perfectly, until the end. I would very much like to play the final fight in Baghdad, but it will not let me finish. I bust through the first walls, the game loads the second part (where you must bust the second layer of walls) and within a few minutes, you get the generic crash message. The game was fun up to that point. I wanted to see the ending, but now I am frustrated. I tried updated video and bios, but get the same result. It's been 2 years since the last patch update and I will not buy DLC as this bug made the game un-enjoyable for finishing. I will also mention that I purchased the game on Steam. I do not think that matters as they patch with the latest updates, too. But it isn't pleasant to get to the end of a game - only to be plagued with a crash and no support.

If you want, try it out from bargain bin - avoid DLC unless you get them as part of bargain. If the game will play to finish for you, you are more fortunate than my experience. I seem many complaints on the Steam forums - but I was fortunate, until the end. I may try the 5th time to finish this game, but maybe I'll go try King Arthur or XIII Century. It is good when it is working. The path (French, Holy Roman, Templar or Papal) you choose is interesting and so is the side-quests. Also, upgrading units with relics or weapon/armor/potions is a good touch. If you enjoy the combat phase of Total War, you might enjoy this ---- provided it won't crash.

Crashing - 0 points
    Fun when it works - 10 points

1. Jan 3, 2011
    Mildly realistic combat and addictive RPG elements put Lionheart above Crusaders and XIII Century. Unfortunately, the lack of a strategic mode and technical glitches are serious turn-offs that won't stop only the hardened fans of the Crusades epoch.
  2. Dec 27, 2010
    A good strategy game which suffers the presence of other great alternatives that came out during this year, and It's not able to stand out on any aspect.
    We still have a decent title on our hands, with two sides different enough to warrant a replay of the single-player campaign, a well-designed economic system and a factions / research tree which can seal the deal.