The Last Express PC

8.9

1. Jul 2, 2013
    This is definitely a 'cult' game. People generally either love it or hate it.

This is definitely a 'cult' game. People generally either love it or hate it.

I didn't hate it, necessarily, I could see why others would enjoy it, but for me it simply became too tedious to play. Events unfold in real time but in many cases there aren't enough clues to know where you should be next, never mind that time is also a factor. There's a ton of die-and-retry in the game. Even a vague clue at the end of each attempt might have made the game a lot more playable.

As others have stated, the rotoscoped graphics are kind of a treat or were, back when this game was made. However, the tradeoff is the animation and movement are literally frame by frame, so be ready for circa 1984 gameplay.

The story, costumes and historical setting are where this game really shines. You really feel like you're on an old train. The art and camera direction are excellent. That might put it over the top for some.

1. With a long playing time, and loads of intrigue, this game is a sure bet for history buffs and casual fans...A must have, but clear your schedule as it takes between 50 and 60 hours to complete.
  2. Through its use of real time and brilliant writing, the game ups the ante for storytelling in gaming. And if it weren't for a few gameplay issues, The Last Express could very well be among the best adventure games ever.
  3. A unique and polished adventure game with a strong, sustained historical flavor. [June 1997, p.108]