9.1

1. Nov 26, 2013
    The Last Express is in many ways a truly classic adventure game, with its inventory puzzles, escalating plot and tried-and-true interface. However, its extreme nonlinearity, the inclusion of violent scenes, and a sense of being what is in reality a completely timed game set it apart from standard pure adventure fare. Quite frankly, I haven't clenched my teeth this hard since 1994 when I was in labor with Mini Minnie! I also have not played one computer game for this many hours in a row in years. By the end of my train journey, poor Mini was penciling up signs for what she wanted and waving them beside my computer desk!

Will the Orient Express make it to its final destination in Constantinople? How many passengers will live to see it? Will Robert Cath find a "happily ever after romance," or will it be "duty before cutie?" You'll just have to buy your own first-class ticket and find out! The End
  2. Jul 2, 2013
    This is definitely a 'cult' game. People generally either love it or hate it.

I didn't hate it, necessarily, I could see why others would enjoy it, but for me it simply became too tedious to play. Events unfold in real time but in many cases there aren't enough clues to know where you should be next, never mind that time is also a factor. There's a ton of die-and-retry in the game.
    Even a vague clue at the end of each attempt might have made the game a lot more playable.

As others have stated, the rotoscoped graphics are kind of a treat or were, back when this game was made. However, the tradeoff is the animation and movement are literally frame by frame, so be ready for circa 1984 gameplay.

The story, costumes and historical setting are where this game really shines. You really feel like you're on an old train. The art and camera direction are excellent. That might put it over the top for some.
  3. Jun 26, 2012
    Despite its age it is still worth playing. It is one of the most atmospheric adventure games ever produced and has some interesting innovations of game play.
  4. Jan 7, 2012
    What Howard the Duck is to movies The Last Express is to video games. The nerds prove their uberness by loving the game or movie the masses justifiably hate. This is a bad game. Scratch that. It's horrible. It's neither fun nor interesting and it's only allure is in the "gee whiz" factor that builds credibility among wanna-be game designers. It has retroscoping! So what? It's boring. It's in real time! So what? It's not fun. Lets look at the fundamental truth of this game. Imagine that someone dumped you in the middle of a maze and told you that you had one hour to get out. You know nothing about the size or the shape of the maze or where the exit is located. If you make a wrong turn, you die. (Which you will do a lot in this game for reasons that are at best inexplicable and at worst laughable). If you die you get to start the maze over or rewind the game to some arbitrary point in time in the past.. That's all there is to the game. Live and hour and get out. There is no plot, no hints. You just guess then die. Guess then die. Guess and live for a few minutes until the 'guess then die' mechanic starts all over again. And this is FUN FUN FUN because some masochists keep insisting it is. Don't believe them. Howard the Duck is a horrible movie and this is a horrible game. Expand

1. With a long playing time, and loads of intrigue, this game is a sure bet for history buffs and casual fans...A must have, but clear your schedule as it takes between 50 and 60 hours to complete.
  2. Through its use of real time and brilliant writing, the game ups the ante for storytelling in gaming. And if it weren't for a few gameplay issues, The Last Express could very well be among the best adventure games ever.
  3. A unique and polished adventure game with a strong, sustained historical flavor. [June 1997, p.108]