8.3

1. Apr 1, 2014
    Loved this game. Went into it not really expecting to like it and was pleasantly surprised. The combat is fun. You do lack micro control of individual units and instead control small groups which can be a annoying when you can't get the command set you want. The soundtrack is great, the environments and exploration are enjoyable, the story is good enough, and the characters are good enough.
  2. Jan 11, 2014
    The last remnant is a game that any grand rpg fan should try. Its battle system at first glaces is a convoluted example of battlefield confusion, however after you get use to it, this game is one of the moat enjoyable gaming experiences ive ever had. After you get use to the battles you uncover a wonderful character development system, crafting system, and an over the top feeling of accomplishment when you take on a ron on monster at once and prevail. Highly recommend. Expand
  3. Dec 20, 2013
    The last remnant, while being a relatively old JRPG and slightly complicated understand, is a game that not only has a good story line with fairly well made cut scenes but provides that optimal amount of challenge as well as a non repetitive way to grind in order to beat a challenging boss or complete a chapter of the story. Pros: - Good storyline - Well done up cutscenes - Fresh concept to rpg team building and combat
    - Many hours of gameplay
    - Good replayability(New Game +)
    - Good spread of characters allow for many hours of trial and error

Cons:
    - Xbox control based tutorials make it hard to learn to play at the start
    - Certain concepts like upgrading weapons for your team are extremely hard to understand
    - It can become really hard to find or farm for certain items towards the later half of the game
    - Some wrong decisions in game can really cost you

Despite the Shortfalls, give the game a while and you will come to love it.
  4. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is SquareJP's finest work this generation. The story, whilst being somewhat generic is a shining example of how you take a generic concept and make it more than that. In this game, you do not control a few singular characters, instead you have 'unions' which you form with a key character acting as a general so to speak, with bodyguards and special units in the union. You can have several unions depending on your battle level which allows for some jaw dropping gigantic battles against hostile unions. The traditional Japanese roleplaying elements are heavily modified, with RTS style tactics of engaging and 'deadlocking' enemies in a close combat fight whilst your other unions move around to flank them or intercept enemies who are trying to flank your unions whilst they are in a deadlock. All of this is controlled with a sleek, stylish interface and battle controls identical to a traditional JRPG and is very easy to use whilst having respectable depth. If you think that the game is an actual RTS in the way it handles, and are put off by it, don't be because it isn't. This is a fantastic example of how you can merge two genres together whilst catering to every bodies tastes.

At £7.99/$9.99, this game is more than worth it, and is a no brainer in a sale. I'm not even a huge JRPG fan at all, and other than Final Fantasy 4, 7, 13 and Lost Odyssey, I have never played any other ones and I have to say this one is easily the best. If like me you were left with a sour taste in your mouth after the latest, awful Final Fantasy games, The Last Remnant is a breath of fresh air, a fantastic new IP and proof that Square have not lost their touch.

5. Aug 6, 2013
    This is a unique game for PC players who love J-RPG games. It has strategy aspect, character building aspect, stat grinding and item farming possibilities and most of all a good story. If you like this genre, this is the best (and the only one for PC) game ever published. Don't mind the hate reviews written by FPS players Again, this is a great game if you like turn based J-RPG genre..
  6. Jul 10, 2013
    This game is incredibly good if you can appreciate the complexity of the union dynamic and the way it relates to individual leaders and their classes/unique stats. Most criticisms of the game seem to stem from a lack of patience or understanding which is fine, if you found the game too complicated you have the right not to like it as long as you understand the system and critique it accurately or admit to not understanding. The story is not something I find very interesting, but the world and aesthetic is something pretty exceptional. I'm choosing not to reduce my score based on the story because I simply find it to be not my taste and thus it's not really fair for me to judge it based on that as well as the fact it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game.

How the combat works is: your unions (max of 5 unions, max of 5 units per union up to a total of 18 units) are something like a single character in an of themselves, but a very complex one. A union is a sort of machine that you must tune to be able to function the way you want it to. You don't get to micromanage and select the exact action of each and every unit in the union, but that's part of the fun. To manipulate the variables that ensure the actions you want, you have to focus your units by answering their questions on how to train, and by using the commands you find most appropriately fit your "role". For example, if you wish to be a combat unit you should avoid using mystic commands. These types of systems are made easier by the PC exclusive ability to entirely turn off certain skills for each unit. In addition to that, the way you use a character will determine their class or title, and classes may have unique commands you can give your union such as the ability to launch into a back attack freely. Unions have aggregate HP, reinforcing the idea that they are sort of a single "character", however it's a misconception that individual units won't die without the death of the entire union. If a single unit in a union is focused on or fails a "curse" check, that individual unit will die. Sometimes that unit is the leader of a union, which creates a situation in which you cannot issue commands to the union. The battle system is complex and interesting and I enjoy the time I spend looking at the wiki when I'm not playing assessing unique leader value and imagining how they might fit into my dream team. Take an honest look at the slow death of the stale JRPG series and then take a second to appreciate games like this one that add a fresh spin (okay well this is 4 years after it's release but whatever) on a once beloved genre. It's unfortunate that games like this one don't see the acclaim I feel they deserve. The JRPG genre had a chance to grow and change and evolve into the current age of relevant gaming and we all dropped the ball. This game is fantastic. Check it out.
  7. Jun 23, 2013
    Great Game, not sure why critics gave it such a low score.
    It's a real gem!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  8. Jan 26, 2013
    The Last Remnant has wonderful graphics and a deep story line. As a completionist I found wonderful challenges throughout the game- even after most side quests had been completed, which is rare for most games of this nature. I am excited to try another playthrough.
  9. Aug 9, 2012
    The gameplay in Last Remnant is very unique and seems very much like an experiment, which would help to explain the marmite-ness of the game. Many people detest it, while I absolutely adore it. Other than gameplay, it's a fairly normal JRPG regarding art style and characters - the main character is your standard overexcitable, courageous but a little bit stupid young boy surrounded by a vibrant and eccentric (and very large) cast of characters. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The cities are amazingly beautiful, you can see for miles off of cliffs and the graphics stay high standard even in battles. As I said before, gameplay is very unique and may take some time getting used to (or you may just dislike it). You organise your units before the fight starts, putting them into 'unions' of 1-5 people with different setups allowing these unions to have certain strengths depending on how all of the units in it work together. Combat is based a lot on the field and has a certain element of randomness. The commands you can give to your unions are based on things like proximity to enemy, if they're currently in combat as well as depending on the capabilities of the union as well as the special skills the union leader possesses. Several field bonuses are awarded for things like intercepting enemies, attacking in groups or from certain directions which also affects morale. Magic is a bit lacking at the start of the game but at the end you can choose from a large array of interesting healing magic, devastating AoE magic, status-inflicting hexes and magic that can manipulate the field of play and morale. Admittedly, the combat is overall pretty complicated and the game doesn't explain it very well. You have an extremely large cast of characters that you meet throughout the game giving you total customisability of your unions, also all having their own voicing in battle and some many have unique special abilities. There are tonnes of boss-type monsters in the game, some mainstream and some unlockable or side bosses, many incredibly hard to kill. The plot isn't amazing, it feels like the game tries to showcase some amazing storyline while it should have just accepted it's fairly standard, but passable plot. All in all, I enjoyed this game immensely. I really wanted to review it to show my appreciation as I felt bad about the mixed reviews this game constantly gets and I hope that the creators know some people still love this game (literally, my playtime for this game shows 225 hours!). Additionally, in response to some other reviews, you can skip cutscenes easily by pressing Pause/Break on the keyboard and then 'S' I believe. The game should have been clearer about that. I hear the Xbox version sucks eggs. Expand
  10. Apr 2, 2012
    A very original game of which I did not have any hope. I surprised it positively being a captivating and exciting history. And a system of difficult and pleasant combat.
  11. Feb 8, 2012
    Brilliant gameplay & story in my view. Only £8 off amazon and was worth every penny.

The game will seem difficult at times, particularly at the quater/mid points on the game where you have boss fights to deal with. This & the overall style may be off putting for most who havent experienced an RPG before. If you enjoy a great & lengthy RPG with style simular to that off
    Final fantasy etc, then you';ll deffinately enjoy this one.
    Many hours of Fun incorporated unlike other RPG games (eg: Fable series) where the game ends after about 20 hours. Clocked over 100 hours on this which is abit insane, but i went through it thoroughly :D.

Thanks for reading & thankyou square enix ^.^
  12. Oct 21, 2011
    great games from square enix.i play this game from my laptop one week and its still funny.battles are something new,graphics are good and gameplay is great
  13. Oct 11, 2011
    This is an excellent and very underrated game. You break your party members into squads and you don't control them directly which is probably turned a lot of reviews off. There is a huge amount of content and it's a lot of fun to upgrade your own and your party members equipment, who will request assistance from you in upgrading their gear. Lots of places to explore, fancy techniques to use, heaps of monsters, excellent graphics and lots of phat loot. Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2011
    Very good game. The storyline has many touching moments. The PC version is much better than the Xbox 360. The graphics sometimes have serious errors, but nonetheless the game is very well optimized, landscapes sometimes forced to just stop and enjoy the spectacle. Negative aspects of copulation the lack of precise leveling. I'd love to make it continue playing. SQUARE-ENIX made a great game in the first place for the PC. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    Intro ...

1st off left me say ... this game is not only good, fun, addictive ... its innovative. The style is turn based JRPG but with a twist. You are able to have multiple "squads" of characters. A squad shares a common hit point pool made up of the HP pools of each character in that squad. Each character acts separately and is attacked separately. With the excellent JRPG graphics this
    makes for some very cool to look at combat.

Some details ...

Graphics/Spell detail/Animations ... all excellent.
    Story/Characters ... not Mass Effect 2 ... but good.

Controls ... My XBOX360 wireless didn't work for me but it does for others (not sure why). I ended up using KB/Mouse. I used a G13 with the relevant keys mapped to its keys etc. You can fully customize the keys in the game as well. I wanted to use a controller and was bummed it didn't work (in the demo); however, the game looked pretty cool so I bought it from steam during the summer sale. Once i settled in the KB mouse became very intuitive. Techy stuff, I looked on the internet and found some tweeks to minimize some texture pop in as it was easy to tweek. The game hes yet to crash or show a single bug (other than the 360 thing)

Value for money ... extreme. On the PC the game is polished, slick, and just plain sweet. I paid $27 for the game during the recent steam summer sale. Sooo much more value than sooo many AAA games coming out lately. I'm so hoping for a sequel.

Combat mechanics ... as far as JRPG turn based I haven't seen better in any of the FF series. You basically give your squads the basic I idea of what you want them to do and they do it. You can also have them "play it by ear" and they will adjust to battle conditions. The way you set up your squads and what abilities you set up for them effects the choices presented for that squad during combat. The cool thing is that every single character acts independently. They also are attacked independently. To keep things manageable each squad has a common hit point pool, heal/buffs/debufs act on squads. Once you get a cpl squads going battles can look like a MMO raid with characters tanking, healing, buffing and debuffing etc etc. It's really fun to watch. Check out youtube to see some combat on you'll see what I mean ... its beautiful (be sure to watch HD :)).

Positional concerns are also key ... if a unit gets flanked its moral will decrease and they will be less effective (rear attacks are there as well with greater effects). If you successfully flank etc your teams moral will go up etc. You do have some control of this but its somewhat limited in that the battle field can be dynamic.

so anyway ... I signed up to meta critic just to post this review. If you like JRPG's get this game! :) T.
  16. Jul 2, 2011
    This gorgeous game is not only a massive triumph of artistic design but also the quintessential JRPG experience. It has an amazingly addictive battle system coupled with an entertaining story and unique characters. Throw in the countless side-quests, treasure hunts, and rare monsters and you have one of the greatest JRPGs ever! Most of the PC reviews are actually for the XBox360 version, so don't listen to the foolish critics who panned it; listen to me, I do not lie. Do you like Strategy RPGs like Warsong, Ogre Battle, FFT, and so on? Then The Last Remnant will blow your mind! Expand

1. The promising The Last Remnant gets its best on PC thanks to a technical polish that's far better than the Xbox 360 version. Square Enix achieves an occasional enjoyment in its proposal, with an interesting story and a long term fascinating combat system.
  2. Why does Square Enix port a mediocre game like Last Remnant and not a hit like Final Fantasy?! Why do I need a Gamepad for perfect control?! We recommend Last Remnant only to those select few J-RPG-Fans, who don't own a console… which should probably be about 10 people worldwide.
  3. The PC version of this fun and fascinating role-playing game is far superior to its Xbox 360 counterpart.