8.3

1. Mar 29, 2011
    This is a game that should not have arrived to America, Typical Japanese game, strangely acted, spoken and everything else.

Only Otaku and blind fans of the old Squaresoft or Enix can possibly like this game. I gave my best to try and like it, but the strange gameplay, strange story, strange "acting" simply puts any western person off. Maybe if i had spent more than the couple of hours

Maybe if i had spent more than the couple of hours i dedicated to it i could have liked it, and that is a big maybe, and no game nor any entertainment should be like that.

Great graphics and interesting world and characters, but everything else represent what is going wrong with Japanese games specially of late, specially from Square-Enix.
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. At first, things seemed promising, if a little dumb. At its best, The Last Remnant recalls numerous JRPGs that were released during the PS2's lifespan (in fact it reminds me of a bunch of 6th gen titles); at its worst it is tedious, bland, repetitive, filled with poorly explained mechanics (if at all) and 'walls' (bosses). Also goes against typical JRPGI really wanted to like this game. At first, things seemed promising, if a little dumb. At its best, The Last Remnant recalls numerous JRPGs that were released during the PS2's lifespan (in fact it reminds me of a bunch of 6th gen titles); at its worst it is tedious, bland, repetitive, filled with poorly explained mechanics (if at all) and 'walls' (bosses). Also goes against typical JRPG sensibilities with enemy scaling (grinding levels makes enemies tougher too), combat (which makes up 80% of the game) can be exciting and delivered in a turn based, cinematic manner, though mechanics are randomly unfair, frustrating and broken. Practically automated, the game takes away the majority of decision-making on the part of the player; you can not choose when to use a summon, special attacks, heal specific party members or use spells until the game gives you the option, even then, it chooses which spell that it will use for you. Outside of combat the game is equally obtuse, quests and storylines regularly grind to a halt because the player is not given a single clue about what to do next, just a single, unhelpful sentence in a red-lined speech bubble. Best left alone, The Last Remnant can provide a certain amount of fun for a time (what constitutes "Disc 1" on the 360 version) then you hit one of those walls. Expand
  3. May 7, 2014
    The story is good, quests given by characters you meet are interesting and form stories of their own which is nice, but it is all ruined by horrible combat system and guild quests. It is not your standard combat system. You have what the game calls unions and each union can have up to 5 members and it is something I have never experienced before so I liked that part, something new andThe story is good, quests given by characters you meet are interesting and form stories of their own which is nice, but it is all ruined by horrible combat system and guild quests. It is not your standard combat system. You have what the game calls unions and each union can have up to 5 members and it is something I have never experienced before so I liked that part, something new and fresh. Unfortunately you cannot tell each member use this or that skill, no you can just tell a union use magic or physical attacks (wtf!?) meaning rather than forming some strategy to fight you rely on blind luck. You also have special skills that fill up by hitting enemies and it empties if you get hit, problem with that is the harder you get hit the faster it empties meaning you won't get to use that skills often against bosses when you need them the most. Your characters also have a class but it doesn't do anything since every member can learn every skill (some more effective than others). Theres a ton of other stuff thats wrong with this game. Expand
  4. Mar 25, 2011
    Last Remnant is not all bad. The battle system itself is somewhat enjoyable, but the rest of the game was horrifying. The dialog is a stilted mess, with the Japanese dub riddled with out-of-place English phrases like "Yes, my lord!", and the English dub is even more painful to listen to. The plot elements are almost uniformly cliche and over-the-top, and the disjointedness with which theyLast Remnant is not all bad. The battle system itself is somewhat enjoyable, but the rest of the game was horrifying. The dialog is a stilted mess, with the Japanese dub riddled with out-of-place English phrases like "Yes, my lord!", and the English dub is even more painful to listen to. The plot elements are almost uniformly cliche and over-the-top, and the disjointedness with which they are presented is absurd, even for a game trying very hard to mimic anime. As a final insult, the game punishes the player for doing well by drastically improving the relative strength of enemies when the player consistently trounces opponents, and the game intentionally obscures this. It's amazing that a company with so much money and talent managed to produce this offal. Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is horrible! On paper, the battle system sounds very interesting, with the ability to rush head-on at a unit, flank, counter-attack, etc. The problem is that, with the exception of the quick-time-event countering, combat devolves into a fuster-cluck mish-mash of arbitrary nonsense. Being able to form "unions" (tiny 1-5 man groups of units) and give them tactics sounds appealing,This game is horrible! On paper, the battle system sounds very interesting, with the ability to rush head-on at a unit, flank, counter-attack, etc. The problem is that, with the exception of the quick-time-event countering, combat devolves into a fuster-cluck mish-mash of arbitrary nonsense. Being able to form "unions" (tiny 1-5 man groups of units) and give them tactics sounds appealing, but it isn't. You can't really tell them what to do. You're given a predetermined list of commands (which are supposed to be smartly chosen based on context, but since fully-healed units are given the option to heal themselves, and units at the brink of death are not, it's easy to see the list is random), some of which make no sense, and not all of which are followed by your units. Telling a union to heal will see them charging into battle and attacking more often than not. If you're fighting in a battle of 5 unions or more, prepare to have absolutely no idea who is attacking who, which units are enemies and which are friendly, etc. Even once you've played for a few hours and gotten a hang of the "tactics," the game never becomes fun. Issuing orders to groups of units seems like it would make you feel like a commander (like in an RTS), but the battles are never large enough to feel that way. It simply feels like you're one step removed from combat, almost like you're watching someone else play an RPG. Plus, it seems like combat is either won without any challenge, or your units are wiped out in the first round. There are far too many battles early on where you have one unit in a union facing an enemy union of 3-4 weakling units, which will completely demolish you in one turn. Game over. Repeat ad nauseum. Maybe 14th time is the charm? This game is absolutely not fun in the slightest bit, and if I hadn't gotten this as part of a $10 7-game pack, I would be even more pissed off than I am right now. Avoid at all costs. Play Xenoblade or Last Story if you want a good modern JRPG. Expand
  6. Aug 7, 2011
    A game that had a lot of potential. I was liking the story and characters, but the combat, oh my god. This is a game that gives stats based on what you do in battle. If you use lots of magic, you'll gain intellect, that sort of thing. The game also scales to how many battles you've done, meaning if you don't grind out PERFECTLY, you're going to be screwed late game.

Now, this would be an

Now, this would be an incredible gameplay feature, in fact that on paper sounds perfect for making a game not a grindfest, and actually requiring thinking. However, now throw this into the mix: You can't control what your characters do in combat.
    There, the entire gameplay mechanic I explained that the game uses has just been shattered and turned into a complete mess. You control multiple parties instead of just one, and can only direct the party to attack, combat arts, or magic arts. However, using one of those options doesn't guarantee your soldiers will use said arts. Most of them will just use normal attacks, sometimes they'll use combat arts when you choose magic, etc. They've basically scaled the difficulty so the grinding and stat gains you get NEED to be absolutely perfect, if you accidentally use a magic spell or two on a warrior type, you've just made that character worthless as the game progresses. Combined with the fact that you don't control your characters the game feels more like watching a movie based on a bunch of drunk idiots fighting against gods and losing over and over and over.

This is the first game I've ever played from Square Enix that I have not been able to finish just because of how flat out terrible it was. It pisses me off because the game was mere inches away from being one of the best RPG's of it's time, and all they had to do was give you control over your own characters, something that has been the norm in gaming since...pong.
  7. Oct 16, 2011
    Why is it that companies that sale games for the PC, don't make them for the PC. I hate console port games. just sell them to the Xbox, ps3 kids. I like PC game made for the PC!

1. The promising The Last Remnant gets its best on PC thanks to a technical polish that's far better than the Xbox 360 version. Square Enix achieves an occasional enjoyment in its proposal, with an interesting story and a long term fascinating combat system.
  2. Why does Square Enix port a mediocre game like Last Remnant and not a hit like Final Fantasy?! Why do I need a Gamepad for perfect control?! We recommend Last Remnant only to those select few J-RPG-Fans, who don't own a console… which should probably be about 10 people worldwide.
  3. The PC version of this fun and fascinating role-playing game is far superior to its Xbox 360 counterpart.