The Last Remnant PC

8.3

1. Jun 16, 2016
    this game is very simple yet complex at the same time there are about if not more than 100 different formations with the variations depending on who you put into each squad and where you put them you can unlock the variations if you do it right..you start off with1 group but you can have up to 5 groups after a while and you can use 3 for killing enemies and 2 for support/healing (withthis game is very simple yet complex at the same time there are about if not more than 100 different formations with the variations depending on who you put into each squad and where you put them you can unlock the variations if you do it right..you start off with1 group but you can have up to 5 groups after a while and you can use 3 for killing enemies and 2 for support/healing (with damage dealers to keep themselves alive) with the right formations you will have powerhouse groups even at low levels, if 3 or more members of a squad use certain magic arts in order you permanently unlock ultimate magic arts that will pop every now and again in battle by the person who learned them, if you do a lot of battles and don't get suprise attacked you build up a chain gage the higher you get that the faster your battle rank goes up the higher your battle rank the higher or more difficult the enemies will be and this is where people run into problems with this game they try to get into a lot of battles to try to level up to make things easier but only make things harder because of this leveling system.
    on another note you can shut off all abilities you don't want your character or any party members using so they can build up other abilities on the PC, consoles don't have that option for some reason.

visuals are great for it being a port although there is a bit of clipping with the clothing especially on Rush

the story is good although the main character is kind of simple

the only real problem I had with this game was that when you try to hire characters late game they are really weak compared to the people you have had since the beginning so you have to level them up a bit if you want to use them
  2. May 26, 2016
    This game is actually has a lot of potential. it has great music, artstyle, and decent story. for that alone i'll give it 9.
    Sadly the core gameplay is total mess, it lack of control & strategy, therefore combat outcome is HIGHLY dependant on luck. and this game love to punish you for not being lucky. trust me, you'll get to see a lot of undeserved game over screen.
  3. Apr 19, 2016
    La historia no engancha mucho y la jugabilidad es normalita pero en general está bien, podíamos decir que es decente para pagar 10 euros por él, pero no llega a ser tan bueno como otros títulos como Pandoras Tower o Xenoblade Chronicles.
  4. Mar 15, 2016
    Ok storyline, Ok world, Ok music, Ok characters, but... extremely horrible combat system. This is supposed to be a new generation tactic rpg? now where's the tactic? There's literally no tactic at all in the fights, then what do you have? Extremely long figths where you click 2 buttons and you just wait 20 hours for everything to happen.
  5. Feb 8, 2015
    A misunderstood game, that gets negative reviews basically by people who didn't understood how the game work. Similar to someone rating with negative punctuation a chess game because they don't know how the pieces move.
    Story and voice work could be better. Still, one of the most addictive games I have ever experienced, essentially due to its battle system. Probably the best battle system of all JRPG's that have been released so far.
  6. Dec 8, 2014
    Last Played: Dec 2014 (XBOX Controller)

PROS: +Story fairly interesting +Combat concept is cool CONS: -Even on PC version, character growth is opaque –Prepare for GRINDING –Worst character animations REVIEW: I played the demo and decided to give this game a chance. Why? Because I was interested in the idea of giving generic orders to groups and having them decide what that meant.
    Last Played: Dec 2014 (XBOX Controller)

PROS: +Story fairly interesting +Combat concept is cool

REVIEW: I played the demo and decided to give this game a chance. Why? Because I was interested in the idea of giving generic orders to groups and having them decide what that meant. In its way, this game really does deliver on this mechanic, though by the end you’ll be well aware of the limitations it brings along with it. The story is fairly standard JRPG fare: save the world from bad nutty people in an 80+ hour quest. The voice acting (English) is not as bad as I was led to believe, it is on par with most English dubbed anime. If you have a problem with English dubbing, you might be better off playing other games anyways. What was unnecessary was the terrible character animations—the models jerk around like marionettes on strings while they are talking which is pretty darn annoying by the end of the first scene, much less the whole game (the combat animations look fine, though).

Where this game really fails is mostly on the same mechanic that drew me in in the first place. There are times, especially during boss battles, when you want characters to use a particular spell or move, but simply cannot get them to use it. You can disable attacks/spells (PC only) that you never want the character to use, but unless you disable all but one for the leader (leader determine the attacks available) sometimes they just won’t have the option to do what you want. You can preview what the characters will do (also on PC version) which helps, but this doesn’t always guarantee that they won’t change their minds and do something stupid to get killed (on occasion resulting in a game over). Needless to say, this is frustrating. Character growth is also totally opaque, as is the class change system. There is no way to predict when a character will learn a new skill, improve in stats, or change class—even if you look up the mechanics on the wiki (you can influence class change by knowing what skills are required and grinding them, though). All of this means that YOU WILL SPEND TIME GRINDING. If you could whip through the quests without this, you could probably cut game time in half, but after 40+ hours I decided to start using Cheat Engine to expedite the process** If you won’t cheat, prepare to spend even more boring hours trying in vain to get your characters to learn the right skill so you can move on.

Can I recommend this game? Yes, with the provisos that you be prepared to wait for a good sale (I paid less than $3 USD) and you be ready to cheat.

**GUIDE TO USING CHEAT ENGINE: the Last Remnant uses new registers to record game information every time you load a save game. This means that you will have to look for the right registers every time you play.

Since character growth is linked to the “battle chains” number, you should do an “exact value” search for whatever your current chain number is. Kill a monster to increase the chain count, and do another “exact value” search for your new chain number. Repeat until you isolate the two registers which contain this information, and set them to be greater than 325 (growth speeds up above this value). You’ll still have to grind, but it will be faster than before.
  7. Aug 7, 2014
    Gameplay: Very novel, steep learning curve. Mashing random commands gets you killed in tough boss fights. Overall game is a challenge, a refreshing change to all the "casual", easy games nowadays. You control unions, which are groups of soldiers. You will not find a more thought-out and different battle system anywhere. Even though this game is clearly aimed for more hardcore players, thatGameplay: Very novel, steep learning curve. Mashing random commands gets you killed in tough boss fights. Overall game is a challenge, a refreshing change to all the "casual", easy games nowadays. You control unions, which are groups of soldiers. You will not find a more thought-out and different battle system anywhere. Even though this game is clearly aimed for more hardcore players, that doesn't mean the game needs to leave the player in the dark about most parts of the mechanics. The keys shown ingame are Xbox buttons, not keyboard buttons, which is not good. There are things I learn about the game mechanics and I've finished the game 3 times. It speaks to the depth of the battle mechanics but also just how little the game guides you. Some people accuse the battle-system of being too luck based. This is not true. It only seems luck based because you don't understand the game mechanics enough so you're assuming all the battle commands are random. It's not. And the veterans of the game knows this, so they create ridiculously powerful, low-level run-throughs that can beat DLC bosses. Every single review you see where the player complains that the game is "too hard" or "luck based", you should ignore, because they don't understand the game and how to play it. There are countless weapons you can make and/or customize. With the PC version you can now finally manually equip the members of your union with whatever you want, even units that isn't Rush. (Doable via ini tweak) This opens up the doors for more serious customization of each character.

Quests - Weak to average. Could use some more drama. Didn't feel too involved. Main quest is better, but story needs some work. The worst are the cutscene animations. But I find that JRPG cutscenes all tend to leave me squirming at the desk. Would have liked all dialogue to be voiced. Mouth animations sometimes don't perfectly match the dialogue spoken. Also, some quests are very easily missable and will be disappear without the player knowing if the player continues to story too far. This can lead to some serious consequences: For example, you must defeat the large-ass bird to later get the chance to defeat the Fallen, so that you can access the DLC dungeon. The player has no way to know this without checking a guide. I also dislike how the final boss's difficult scales based on how many quests you've done. Having a final boss feel easier to beat than the major boss midway in the game is unsettling - it hints that the battles were improperly balanced. But it's not significant enough for me to really feel this way. I still feel the final boss should have been made more difficult. However, the DLC bosses will surely give you a run for your money.

Character Design - Very good. Monster designs are recycled a bit too much for my tastes.

Performance - Framerate issues on Xbox is over on the PC. PC version has many updates compared to the Xbox version. The turbo mode is a must-have for seasoned TLR players. Free DLC. New Game+ that is on hard mode. Graphics are so-so but easy to run on a weak machine. Texture pop-in remains a problem but I managed to cut it down to only 2 seconds or less.

Soundtrack - Kick-ass.

And holy **** people on the internet are absolute morons. 1/10 rating is what you reserve for a game like Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, not a game like The Last Remnant. Just hows how immature, impatient, and patently stupid some reviewers are. This game can be bought very cheaply. Because of this, I recommend grabbing it on Steam sale if you can, just know that you won't fully enjoy it unless you really spend time on the game.

If you're a very story-orientated or graphics-orientated player or one just looking for a casual game to waste some time, you will probably not like this game. Subconsciously subtract 2-3 points from my rating if that's the case. If you're a hardcore JRPG type of person and you take on grinding and foreign mechanics and difficult bosses as "challenge accepted", add 1 point to my score.
  8. Jul 21, 2014
    Arguably one of the most underappreciated, if flawed, games of the past decade or so. That being said, it's not a game for everyone, but a product that's far better than what the hack critics said it is.
  9. Jun 21, 2014
    Thank you steam summer sale for putting this game on my radar. I payed $2.50 for this game, and having played it extensively, I would have bought it for full price in a heartbeat.

The story is genuinely engaging and the visuals hold well even today. The combat is complex, but it's rewarding and, once mastered, is a blast. If you're looking for a JRPG to keep you satisfied for 60+

The story is genuinely engaging and the visuals hold well even today.

The combat is complex, but it's rewarding and, once mastered, is a blast. If you're looking for a JRPG to keep you satisfied for 60+ hours, look no further.
  10. May 7, 2014
    The story is good, quests given by characters you meet are interesting and form stories of their own which is nice, but it is all ruined by horrible combat system and guild quests. It is not your standard combat system. You have what the game calls unions and each union can have up to 5 members and it is something I have never experienced before so I liked that part, something new andThe story is good, quests given by characters you meet are interesting and form stories of their own which is nice, but it is all ruined by horrible combat system and guild quests. It is not your standard combat system. You have what the game calls unions and each union can have up to 5 members and it is something I have never experienced before so I liked that part, something new and fresh. Unfortunately you cannot tell each member use this or that skill, no you can just tell a union use magic or physical attacks (wtf!?) meaning rather than forming some strategy to fight you rely on blind luck. You also have special skills that fill up by hitting enemies and it empties if you get hit, problem with that is the harder you get hit the faster it empties meaning you won't get to use that skills often against bosses when you need them the most. Your characters also have a class but it doesn't do anything since every member can learn every skill (some more effective than others). Theres a ton of other stuff thats wrong with this game. Expand
  11. Apr 1, 2014
    Loved this game. Went into it not really expecting to like it and was pleasantly surprised. The combat is fun. You do lack micro control of individual units and instead control small groups which can be a annoying when you can't get the command set you want. The soundtrack is great, the environments and exploration are enjoyable, the story is good enough, and the characters are good enough.
  12. Jan 11, 2014
    The last remnant is a game that any grand rpg fan should try. Its battle system at first glaces is a convoluted example of battlefield confusion, however after you get use to it, this game is one of the moat enjoyable gaming experiences ive ever had. After you get use to the battles you uncover a wonderful character development system, crafting system, and an over the top feeling ofThe last remnant is a game that any grand rpg fan should try. Its battle system at first glaces is a convoluted example of battlefield confusion, however after you get use to it, this game is one of the moat enjoyable gaming experiences ive ever had. After you get use to the battles you uncover a wonderful character development system, crafting system, and an over the top feeling of accomplishment when you take on a ron on monster at once and prevail. Highly recommend. Expand
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    This game had the potential to be great, but it just seems incomplete and rushed. Just finished my game at 60 hours, and I can honestly say I only enjoyed 5 or so of those hours played. The game is worth buying on a steam sale when you have nothing else to play.

Pros: - Some of the boss/rare monster battles are awesome. You really do have to setup the unions and characters the right

Pros:
    - Some of the boss/rare monster battles are awesome. You really do have to setup the unions and characters the right way and use strategy. Unfortunately there aren't that many battles like this...
    -The world and its different species of humanoids are pretty cool. The areas to explore aren't that big, but there is variety and it feels good to explore.
    -The voice acting (Japanese) was awesome. Torgal sounds like a total badass along with other unique leaders.
    - There aren't that many tracks in the games soundtrack, but when they are played its appropriate and pleasing.
    -Some of the sidequests are great. I actually liked the story in them more than the main story...

Cons:
    -The story stucks. Or at least its incomplete. If they provided more explanations in what remnants are and some backstory for the side characters (bad guys too), it could have been really good.
    -For the most part, the battle system is awful. Some really cool ideas like morale and unions.. but really most of the time it just ends up being "choose the option that has the most arts in it". Some boss battles require thinking, but 90% of the game battles are just you being brain dead and watching your guys go at it. If there was no turbo mode I don't think I could have beaten this game.
    -Upgrading equipment is a nightmare. Hunting for components takes hours and your teammates don't take items unless they are participating in the fight that it drops in. Some drops are 5-15% and the monster doesn't always spawn in the area.
    -Controlling class development. If you play the game naturally, a lot of characters will end up as total garbage.
    -No tutorials. For a game that has a complex battle system and development system.. its insane.
    -Flow of battle. 90% of the time you spend in battle, you're just watching the actions happen. This was interesting for the first 10 hours of the game, but afterwards it was torture. If you've played fire emblem and didn't mind it the battle animations, you'll be okay with it.
    -Luck. Even with a perfect setup and strategy, sometimes you just get unlucky. You can manipulate what arts your guys will perform by good setups, but sometimes you just won't get the options you need when you need them. AOE damage is random as hell too. Sometimes it will do no damage, and sometimes it will wipe out everyone on the board.
    -Enemy variety. I think there are 30 or less enemy models in the game. Skins and arts are all re-used EVERYWHERE.

The game looks like total after all of those cons... but it is possible to enjoy it.

Some tips for enjoying the game:
    -Buy it on PC for Turbo mode and having all unique leaders.
    -Learn how to develop characters appropriately. Put all combat users together and all mystic users together. Generally, do not try to make combat/mystic hybrid characters (unless the mystic part is just healing).
    -Don't worry about upgrading your party members equipment. It's not fun and you can beat the game without doing it.
    -Ignore most of the monsters in the game. The fights are boring and you can beat the game at a low BR.
    -If you are absolutely stuck and too weak to progress, try the "Bai Ze or PC ultimate grind". Just grind enough to get you past impossible battles.
    -Do the sidequests. Some of them are interesting and will be a good pacing tool for leveling up if you're ignoring most monsters.
  14. Dec 20, 2013
    The last remnant, while being a relatively old JRPG and slightly complicated understand, is a game that not only has a good story line with fairly well made cut scenes but provides that optimal amount of challenge as well as a non repetitive way to grind in order to beat a challenging boss or complete a chapter of the story.

Pros: - Good storyline - Well done up cutscenes - Fresh

Pros:
    - Good storyline
    - Well done up cutscenes
    - Fresh concept to rpg team building and combat
    - Many hours of gameplay
    - Good replayability(New Game +)
    - Good spread of characters allow for many hours of trial and error

Cons:
    - Xbox control based tutorials make it hard to learn to play at the start
    - Certain concepts like upgrading weapons for your team are extremely hard to understand
    - It can become really hard to find or farm for certain items towards the later half of the game
    - Some wrong decisions in game can really cost you

Despite the Shortfalls, give the game a while and you will come to love it.
  15. Oct 8, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. At first, things seemed promising, if a little dumb. At its best, The Last Remnant recalls numerous JRPGs that were released during the PS2's lifespan (in fact it reminds me of a bunch of 6th gen titles); at its worst it is tedious, bland, repetitive, filled with poorly explained mechanics (if at all) and 'walls' (bosses). Also goes against typical JRPGI really wanted to like this game. At first, things seemed promising, if a little dumb. At its best, The Last Remnant recalls numerous JRPGs that were released during the PS2's lifespan (in fact it reminds me of a bunch of 6th gen titles); at its worst it is tedious, bland, repetitive, filled with poorly explained mechanics (if at all) and 'walls' (bosses). Also goes against typical JRPG sensibilities with enemy scaling (grinding levels makes enemies tougher too), combat (which makes up 80% of the game) can be exciting and delivered in a turn based, cinematic manner, though mechanics are randomly unfair, frustrating and broken. Practically automated, the game takes away the majority of decision-making on the part of the player; you can not choose when to use a summon, special attacks, heal specific party members or use spells until the game gives you the option, even then, it chooses which spell that it will use for you. Outside of combat the game is equally obtuse, quests and storylines regularly grind to a halt because the player is not given a single clue about what to do next, just a single, unhelpful sentence in a red-lined speech bubble. Best left alone, The Last Remnant can provide a certain amount of fun for a time (what constitutes "Disc 1" on the 360 version) then you hit one of those walls. Expand
  16. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is SquareJP's finest work this generation. The story, whilst being somewhat generic is a shining example of how you take a generic concept and make it more than that. In this game, you do not control a few singular characters, instead you have 'unions' which you form with a key character acting as a general so to speak, with bodyguards and special units in the union. You can haveThis game is SquareJP's finest work this generation. The story, whilst being somewhat generic is a shining example of how you take a generic concept and make it more than that. In this game, you do not control a few singular characters, instead you have 'unions' which you form with a key character acting as a general so to speak, with bodyguards and special units in the union. You can have several unions depending on your battle level which allows for some jaw dropping gigantic battles against hostile unions. The traditional Japanese roleplaying elements are heavily modified, with RTS style tactics of engaging and 'deadlocking' enemies in a close combat fight whilst your other unions move around to flank them or intercept enemies who are trying to flank your unions whilst they are in a deadlock. All of this is controlled with a sleek, stylish interface and battle controls identical to a traditional JRPG and is very easy to use whilst having respectable depth. If you think that the game is an actual RTS in the way it handles, and are put off by it, don't be because it isn't. This is a fantastic example of how you can merge two genres together whilst catering to every bodies tastes.

At £7.99/$9.99, this game is more than worth it, and is a no brainer in a sale. I'm not even a huge JRPG fan at all, and other than Final Fantasy 4, 7, 13 and Lost Odyssey, I have never played any other ones and I have to say this one is easily the best. If like me you were left with a sour taste in your mouth after the latest, awful Final Fantasy games, The Last Remnant is a breath of fresh air, a fantastic new IP and proof that Square have not lost their touch.

17. Aug 6, 2013
    This is a unique game for PC players who love J-RPG games. It has strategy aspect, character building aspect, stat grinding and item farming possibilities and most of all a good story. If you like this genre, this is the best (and the only one for PC) game ever published. Don't mind the hate reviews written by FPS players Again, this is a great game if you like turn based J-RPG genre..
  18. Jul 10, 2013
    This game is incredibly good if you can appreciate the complexity of the union dynamic and the way it relates to individual leaders and their classes/unique stats. Most criticisms of the game seem to stem from a lack of patience or understanding which is fine, if you found the game too complicated you have the right not to like it as long as you understand the system and critique itThis game is incredibly good if you can appreciate the complexity of the union dynamic and the way it relates to individual leaders and their classes/unique stats. Most criticisms of the game seem to stem from a lack of patience or understanding which is fine, if you found the game too complicated you have the right not to like it as long as you understand the system and critique it accurately or admit to not understanding. The story is not something I find very interesting, but the world and aesthetic is something pretty exceptional. I'm choosing not to reduce my score based on the story because I simply find it to be not my taste and thus it's not really fair for me to judge it based on that as well as the fact it doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game.

How the combat works is: your unions (max of 5 unions, max of 5 units per union up to a total of 18 units) are something like a single character in an of themselves, but a very complex one. A union is a sort of machine that you must tune to be able to function the way you want it to. You don't get to micromanage and select the exact action of each and every unit in the union, but that's part of the fun. To manipulate the variables that ensure the actions you want, you have to focus your units by answering their questions on how to train, and by using the commands you find most appropriately fit your "role". For example, if you wish to be a combat unit you should avoid using mystic commands. These types of systems are made easier by the PC exclusive ability to entirely turn off certain skills for each unit. In addition to that, the way you use a character will determine their class or title, and classes may have unique commands you can give your union such as the ability to launch into a back attack freely. Unions have aggregate HP, reinforcing the idea that they are sort of a single "character", however it's a misconception that individual units won't die without the death of the entire union. If a single unit in a union is focused on or fails a "curse" check, that individual unit will die. Sometimes that unit is the leader of a union, which creates a situation in which you cannot issue commands to the union. The battle system is complex and interesting and I enjoy the time I spend looking at the wiki when I'm not playing assessing unique leader value and imagining how they might fit into my dream team. Take an honest look at the slow death of the stale JRPG series and then take a second to appreciate games like this one that add a fresh spin (okay well this is 4 years after it's release but whatever) on a once beloved genre. It's unfortunate that games like this one don't see the acclaim I feel they deserve. The JRPG genre had a chance to grow and change and evolve into the current age of relevant gaming and we all dropped the ball. This game is fantastic. Check it out.
  19. Jun 23, 2013
    Great Game, not sure why critics gave it such a low score.
    It's a real gem!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    After I read how the reviews has no balance whatsoever (some as low as 1 while others as high as 10), I decided to pitch in.
    First of all total time spent on this game 100hours. Although sadly I haven't complete the game cause I needed to reinstall Windows and I forgot to back-up my save (the save is at the final dungeon ).
    Here is my review breakdown : Visual 8 The diversity of
    Here is my review breakdown :
    Visual 8 The diversity of enemy sizes, model are very nice. You can tell you are in trouble when you see your team need to look up to a big dragon-like monster. Since this is ported of course some find the visual lacking, as the area resembles FFXII.
    Gameplay 8 I admit it is confusing at first, cause you need to think of your squad just like an RTS. It is not just about squad level and equipment but who you put in the Formation, Flanking position, and other matter. A good combination in your squad means you could unleash devastating attacks while failure to combine means your squad could spend time doing worthless things (i.e magicians keep using physical attacks also causes the magician to learn physical attacks instead of magics- becoming a worthless magician A good logic in placing who goes with who is needed.
    AI 9 You'll regret button mashing against Last Remnant AI. They'll flank you, they'll kill your weakest team, they'll try to match their best formation against your weakest link. The AI is good for a challenge.
    And that's just the normal enemies, Boss are different matter altogether. There are several rare enemies appearing also in the same field as normal enemies. Avoid these until you are ready. These rare enemies are like sub-boss in MMO. tough and hard hitting. And they are not just the buffed type from the normal enemies, If you see a Devil among those bees you usually 1-hit kill, that's a rare enemy. These guys will be the reason you return to your starting town from time to time.
    Sound 6 quite okay. Nothing catchy IMO.
    Story 6 the story aren't well thought to be honest. Can't say too much that won't be a spoiler but its simply quite cliché. It's just alright story but it worsened by a certain factor, keep reading Character 3 Well, here's lies the weakest chain Let's see :
    The side character are bad ass, a bad ass scarred female knight, a Duke who can summoned a Cannon, a silent 4-handed assassin/warrior bad ass, you can recruit various bad ass mercenaries right from the beginning. And the Enemy is bigger Bad Ass than those guys. The SIDE Characters are Bad Asses.
    The MAIN Character however, is an annoying, childish, stupid, sister complex, disrespectful brat. I don't know how can someone created a stupid character like Rush and place him as the main character. Rush likes to nag, and he does it a lot. He asked for help, he nags, he wanted to move to another area, he nags, he is warned to stay invisible, guess what he shows up in front of the enemies "Naruto-Style" (shouting and screaming) only to nag. His nagging is the sole reason I dislike the cinematic. Whether you will buy it or not is up to you, it's best to try the game first. Last Remnant is not for everyone, but for some it will be a 100hours+ game
  21. Jan 30, 2013
    Alright so there isn't a lot of decent jrpg's out for the pc and this is an example of why. It seems alright at first, the battle mechanic seems cool at first with your squads and everything, but ultimately with limited control over their growth you feel like you're just depending on luck more than skill to beat fights.
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    The Last Remnant has wonderful graphics and a deep story line. As a completionist I found wonderful challenges throughout the game- even after most side quests had been completed, which is rare for most games of this nature. I am excited to try another playthrough.
  23. Dec 13, 2012
    Great improvement from the 360 version with better optimization and less bugs. Loaded with secrets and has a Suikoden-sized cast of party members. The PC version works great as long as you force v-sync and use JP dub with subs because the english voice acting is awful. The combat is... "unique", to put it nicely. Early on it is frustrating because it feels slow with small squads and laterGreat improvement from the 360 version with better optimization and less bugs. Loaded with secrets and has a Suikoden-sized cast of party members. The PC version works great as long as you force v-sync and use JP dub with subs because the english voice acting is awful. The combat is... "unique", to put it nicely. Early on it is frustrating because it feels slow with small squads and later it feels frustrating because your units like to do stupid things if you don't micro between fights. So basically, combat is uniquely rage inducing and worth playing just for that. Combat scales based on your average level except for certain storyline bosses. Difficulty is all over the place but challenging when you expect it to be. Overall this is a decent JRPG/strategy game but definitely not for everyone. Expand
  24. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is horrible! On paper, the battle system sounds very interesting, with the ability to rush head-on at a unit, flank, counter-attack, etc. The problem is that, with the exception of the quick-time-event countering, combat devolves into a fuster-cluck mish-mash of arbitrary nonsense. Being able to form "unions" (tiny 1-5 man groups of units) and give them tactics sounds appealing,This game is horrible! On paper, the battle system sounds very interesting, with the ability to rush head-on at a unit, flank, counter-attack, etc. The problem is that, with the exception of the quick-time-event countering, combat devolves into a fuster-cluck mish-mash of arbitrary nonsense. Being able to form "unions" (tiny 1-5 man groups of units) and give them tactics sounds appealing, but it isn't. You can't really tell them what to do. You're given a predetermined list of commands (which are supposed to be smartly chosen based on context, but since fully-healed units are given the option to heal themselves, and units at the brink of death are not, it's easy to see the list is random), some of which make no sense, and not all of which are followed by your units. Telling a union to heal will see them charging into battle and attacking more often than not. If you're fighting in a battle of 5 unions or more, prepare to have absolutely no idea who is attacking who, which units are enemies and which are friendly, etc. Even once you've played for a few hours and gotten a hang of the "tactics," the game never becomes fun. Issuing orders to groups of units seems like it would make you feel like a commander (like in an RTS), but the battles are never large enough to feel that way. It simply feels like you're one step removed from combat, almost like you're watching someone else play an RPG. Plus, it seems like combat is either won without any challenge, or your units are wiped out in the first round. There are far too many battles early on where you have one unit in a union facing an enemy union of 3-4 weakling units, which will completely demolish you in one turn. Game over. Repeat ad nauseum. Maybe 14th time is the charm? This game is absolutely not fun in the slightest bit, and if I hadn't gotten this as part of a $10 7-game pack, I would be even more pissed off than I am right now. Avoid at all costs. Play Xenoblade or Last Story if you want a good modern JRPG. Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2012
    The gameplay in Last Remnant is very unique and seems very much like an experiment, which would help to explain the marmite-ness of the game. Many people detest it, while I absolutely adore it. Other than gameplay, it's a fairly normal JRPG regarding art style and characters - the main character is your standard overexcitable, courageous but a little bit stupid young boy surrounded by aThe gameplay in Last Remnant is very unique and seems very much like an experiment, which would help to explain the marmite-ness of the game. Many people detest it, while I absolutely adore it. Other than gameplay, it's a fairly normal JRPG regarding art style and characters - the main character is your standard overexcitable, courageous but a little bit stupid young boy surrounded by a vibrant and eccentric (and very large) cast of characters. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The cities are amazingly beautiful, you can see for miles off of cliffs and the graphics stay high standard even in battles. As I said before, gameplay is very unique and may take some time getting used to (or you may just dislike it). You organise your units before the fight starts, putting them into 'unions' of 1-5 people with different setups allowing these unions to have certain strengths depending on how all of the units in it work together. Combat is based a lot on the field and has a certain element of randomness. The commands you can give to your unions are based on things like proximity to enemy, if they're currently in combat as well as depending on the capabilities of the union as well as the special skills the union leader possesses. Several field bonuses are awarded for things like intercepting enemies, attacking in groups or from certain directions which also affects morale. Magic is a bit lacking at the start of the game but at the end you can choose from a large array of interesting healing magic, devastating AoE magic, status-inflicting hexes and magic that can manipulate the field of play and morale. Admittedly, the combat is overall pretty complicated and the game doesn't explain it very well. You have an extremely large cast of characters that you meet throughout the game giving you total customisability of your unions, also all having their own voicing in battle and some many have unique special abilities. There are tonnes of boss-type monsters in the game, some mainstream and some unlockable or side bosses, many incredibly hard to kill. The plot isn't amazing, it feels like the game tries to showcase some amazing storyline while it should have just accepted it's fairly standard, but passable plot. All in all, I enjoyed this game immensely. I really wanted to review it to show my appreciation as I felt bad about the mixed reviews this game constantly gets and I hope that the creators know some people still love this game (literally, my playtime for this game shows 225 hours!). Additionally, in response to some other reviews, you can skip cutscenes easily by pressing Pause/Break on the keyboard and then 'S' I believe. The game should have been clearer about that. I hear the Xbox version sucks eggs. Expand
  26. Apr 2, 2012
    A very original game of which I did not have any hope. I surprised it positively being a captivating and exciting history. And a system of difficult and pleasant combat.
  27. Feb 8, 2012
    Brilliant gameplay & story in my view. Only £8 off amazon and was worth every penny.

The game will seem difficult at times, particularly at the quater/mid points on the game where you have boss fights to deal with. This & the overall style may be off putting for most who havent experienced an RPG before. If you enjoy a great & lengthy RPG with style simular to that off Final fantasy etc, then you';ll deffinately enjoy this one.
    Many hours of Fun incorporated unlike other RPG games (eg: Fable series) where the game ends after about 20 hours. Clocked over 100 hours on this which is abit insane, but i went through it thoroughly :D.

Thanks for reading & thankyou square enix ^.^
  28. Jan 23, 2012
    The only half decent RPG game Square-enix managed to create so far. Donâ
  29. Oct 21, 2011
    great games from square enix.i play this game from my laptop one week and its still funny.battles are something new,graphics are good and gameplay is great
  30. Oct 11, 2011
    This is an excellent and very underrated game. You break your party members into squads and you don't control them directly which is probably turned a lot of reviews off. There is a huge amount of content and it's a lot of fun to upgrade your own and your party members equipment, who will request assistance from you in upgrading their gear. Lots of places to explore, fancy techniques toThis is an excellent and very underrated game. You break your party members into squads and you don't control them directly which is probably turned a lot of reviews off. There is a huge amount of content and it's a lot of fun to upgrade your own and your party members equipment, who will request assistance from you in upgrading their gear. Lots of places to explore, fancy techniques to use, heaps of monsters, excellent graphics and lots of phat loot. Expand
  31. Aug 7, 2011
    A game that had a lot of potential. I was liking the story and characters, but the combat, oh my god. This is a game that gives stats based on what you do in battle. If you use lots of magic, you'll gain intellect, that sort of thing. The game also scales to how many battles you've done, meaning if you don't grind out PERFECTLY, you're going to be screwed late game.

Now, this would be an

Now, this would be an incredible gameplay feature, in fact that on paper sounds perfect for making a game not a grindfest, and actually requiring thinking. However, now throw this into the mix: You can't control what your characters do in combat.
    There, the entire gameplay mechanic I explained that the game uses has just been shattered and turned into a complete mess. You control multiple parties instead of just one, and can only direct the party to attack, combat arts, or magic arts. However, using one of those options doesn't guarantee your soldiers will use said arts. Most of them will just use normal attacks, sometimes they'll use combat arts when you choose magic, etc. They've basically scaled the difficulty so the grinding and stat gains you get NEED to be absolutely perfect, if you accidentally use a magic spell or two on a warrior type, you've just made that character worthless as the game progresses. Combined with the fact that you don't control your characters the game feels more like watching a movie based on a bunch of drunk idiots fighting against gods and losing over and over and over.

This is the first game I've ever played from Square Enix that I have not been able to finish just because of how flat out terrible it was. It pisses me off because the game was mere inches away from being one of the best RPG's of it's time, and all they had to do was give you control over your own characters, something that has been the norm in gaming since...pong.
  32. Aug 1, 2011
    Very good game. The storyline has many touching moments. The PC version is much better than the Xbox 360. The graphics sometimes have serious errors, but nonetheless the game is very well optimized, landscapes sometimes forced to just stop and enjoy the spectacle. Negative aspects of copulation the lack of precise leveling. I'd love to make it continue playing. SQUARE-ENIX made a greatVery good game. The storyline has many touching moments. The PC version is much better than the Xbox 360. The graphics sometimes have serious errors, but nonetheless the game is very well optimized, landscapes sometimes forced to just stop and enjoy the spectacle. Negative aspects of copulation the lack of precise leveling. I'd love to make it continue playing. SQUARE-ENIX made a great game in the first place for the PC. Expand
  33. Jul 5, 2011
    Intro ...

Intro ...

1st off left me say ... this game is not only good, fun, addictive ... its innovative. The style is turn based JRPG but with a twist. You are able to have multiple "squads" of characters. A squad shares a common hit point pool made up of the HP pools of each character in that squad. Each character acts separately and is attacked separately. With the excellent JRPG graphics this makes for some very cool to look at combat.

Some details ...

Graphics/Spell detail/Animations ... all excellent.
    Story/Characters ... not Mass Effect 2 ... but good.

Controls ... My XBOX360 wireless didn't work for me but it does for others (not sure why). I ended up using KB/Mouse. I used a G13 with the relevant keys mapped to its keys etc. You can fully customize the keys in the game as well. I wanted to use a controller and was bummed it didn't work (in the demo); however, the game looked pretty cool so I bought it from steam during the summer sale. Once i settled in the KB mouse became very intuitive. Techy stuff, I looked on the internet and found some tweeks to minimize some texture pop in as it was easy to tweek. The game hes yet to crash or show a single bug (other than the 360 thing)

Value for money ... extreme. On the PC the game is polished, slick, and just plain sweet. I paid $27 for the game during the recent steam summer sale. Sooo much more value than sooo many AAA games coming out lately. I'm so hoping for a sequel.

Combat mechanics ... as far as JRPG turn based I haven't seen better in any of the FF series. You basically give your squads the basic I idea of what you want them to do and they do it. You can also have them "play it by ear" and they will adjust to battle conditions. The way you set up your squads and what abilities you set up for them effects the choices presented for that squad during combat. The cool thing is that every single character acts independently. They also are attacked independently. To keep things manageable each squad has a common hit point pool, heal/buffs/debufs act on squads. Once you get a cpl squads going battles can look like a MMO raid with characters tanking, healing, buffing and debuffing etc etc. It's really fun to watch. Check out youtube to see some combat on you'll see what I mean ... its beautiful (be sure to watch HD :)).

Positional concerns are also key ... if a unit gets flanked its moral will decrease and they will be less effective (rear attacks are there as well with greater effects). If you successfully flank etc your teams moral will go up etc. You do have some control of this but its somewhat limited in that the battle field can be dynamic.

so anyway ... I signed up to meta critic just to post this review. If you like JRPG's get this game! :) T.
  34. Jul 3, 2011
    The developers came up with unique and engaging battle system. At the same time, they did everything to alienate players from the game. Incredibly stupid story with ridiculous characters (a bunch of 15 y.o. kids, supported by 6 y.o. kid straight out of kindergarten, are running around pretending to save the world or something). Absence of tutorial other than for some very basic stuff; theThe developers came up with unique and engaging battle system. At the same time, they did everything to alienate players from the game. Incredibly stupid story with ridiculous characters (a bunch of 15 y.o. kids, supported by 6 y.o. kid straight out of kindergarten, are running around pretending to save the world or something). Absence of tutorial other than for some very basic stuff; the game doesn't even try to explain meaning of key concepts such as battle rank, character class, or chain count. Tons of important character stats are hidden, and the players are presented with just four or five, which leaves full impression that the game plays itself. That said, I quite liked the game. Huge open world, a lot of dungeon crawling and challenging battles. And the game's combat system really shines once you invested some time into figuring out how it works. I'd say, if you feel like you can overlook game's ugly sides, give it a try Expand
  35. Jul 2, 2011
    This gorgeous game is not only a massive triumph of artistic design but also the quintessential JRPG experience. It has an amazingly addictive battle system coupled with an entertaining story and unique characters. Throw in the countless side-quests, treasure hunts, and rare monsters and you have one of the greatest JRPGs ever! Most of the PC reviews are actually for the XBox360 version,This gorgeous game is not only a massive triumph of artistic design but also the quintessential JRPG experience. It has an amazingly addictive battle system coupled with an entertaining story and unique characters. Throw in the countless side-quests, treasure hunts, and rare monsters and you have one of the greatest JRPGs ever! Most of the PC reviews are actually for the XBox360 version, so don't listen to the foolish critics who panned it; listen to me, I do not lie. Do you like Strategy RPGs like Warsong, Ogre Battle, FFT, and so on? Then The Last Remnant will blow your mind! Expand
  36. Mar 29, 2011
    This is a game that should not have arrived to America, Typical Japanese game, strangely acted, spoken and everything else.

Only Otaku and blind fans of the old Squaresoft or Enix can possibly like this game. I gave my best to try and like it, but the strange gameplay, strange story, strange "acting" simply puts any western person off. Maybe if i had spent more than the couple of hours

Maybe if i had spent more than the couple of hours i dedicated to it i could have liked it, and that is a big maybe, and no game nor any entertainment should be like that.

Great graphics and interesting world and characters, but everything else represent what is going wrong with Japanese games specially of late, specially from Square-Enix.
  37. Mar 25, 2011
    Last Remnant is not all bad. The battle system itself is somewhat enjoyable, but the rest of the game was horrifying. The dialog is a stilted mess, with the Japanese dub riddled with out-of-place English phrases like "Yes, my lord!", and the English dub is even more painful to listen to. The plot elements are almost uniformly cliche and over-the-top, and the disjointedness with which theyLast Remnant is not all bad. The battle system itself is somewhat enjoyable, but the rest of the game was horrifying. The dialog is a stilted mess, with the Japanese dub riddled with out-of-place English phrases like "Yes, my lord!", and the English dub is even more painful to listen to. The plot elements are almost uniformly cliche and over-the-top, and the disjointedness with which they are presented is absurd, even for a game trying very hard to mimic anime. As a final insult, the game punishes the player for doing well by drastically improving the relative strength of enemies when the player consistently trounces opponents, and the game intentionally obscures this. It's amazing that a company with so much money and talent managed to produce this offal. Expand
  38. AlessandroA
    Jan 15, 2010
    This game is good. Not like the Final Fantasy series but my money was never spend better.
  39. ThomasPower
    Dec 18, 2009
    I felt really stupid after buying this game. I wanted to play a 'classic RPG' and dropped 40 on it. Well after messing around on it for a couple days I decided to forget it; the characters seemed too unrelatible to me, and I couldn't get over the cheesy script... but a bit later I jumped back on and decided to give it another go. I decided to just shut up and play, and holy I felt really stupid after buying this game. I wanted to play a 'classic RPG' and dropped 40 on it. Well after messing around on it for a couple days I decided to forget it; the characters seemed too unrelatible to me, and I couldn't get over the cheesy script... but a bit later I jumped back on and decided to give it another go. I decided to just shut up and play, and holy **** I can't stop. I'm at 80+ hours suckaz! Oogles of story characters that you can have in your party, meaningful side quests that actually can alter the story, a decent weapons upgrading system, awesome hit detection in battle, brain melting enemies, what more do you want?? I've gotten my money's worth outta this game and I feel like a child in a candy store with daddy's credit card when I play this. The best part? IF you don't wanna watch a cutscene again after losing somewhere, YOU CAN SKIP IT. THERE IS A BUTTON THAT LETS YOU SKIP IT. OMG WHO KNEWWWW? WHO HERE KNEW THAT YOU COULD SKIP CUTSCENES??? Apparently not one of the reviewers who voted it down, that is all. Expand
  40. DanD
    Dec 16, 2009
    The battle system is why I bought this game. Obviously it's different from most other RPG battle systems, difficult but fun. The one thing I didn't like about the battle system is you can't choose which attacks for you union members directly. Alot of attacks your party members use are effected by union moral and available AP (similar to MP). The story is a little weak and The battle system is why I bought this game. Obviously it's different from most other RPG battle systems, difficult but fun. The one thing I didn't like about the battle system is you can't choose which attacks for you union members directly. Alot of attacks your party members use are effected by union moral and available AP (similar to MP). The story is a little weak and the size of the world map are definate cons. Overall [The Last Remnant] was a decent middle-of-the-road RPG. There are better RPG's out there Expand
  41. chrisg
    Nov 9, 2009
    i truly enjoyed this game, its very hard though, the battle system was weird at first but once you get used to it it becomes fun and rewarding. i like the amount of characters you can choose from (best part of the game)
  42. ShaneF
    Nov 6, 2009
    The game has a great storyline that's deeply involved with interweaving plots and is a novel masterpiece in that regard. The graphics are also superb and even on my less-than-perfect system, the game can run with high-rate graphics (though I have to use the smallest resolution to get it to run smoothly). The vast majority of different monsters, armor and characters individually are The game has a great storyline that's deeply involved with interweaving plots and is a novel masterpiece in that regard. The graphics are also superb and even on my less-than-perfect system, the game can run with high-rate graphics (though I have to use the smallest resolution to get it to run smoothly). The vast majority of different monsters, armor and characters individually are rather original and inspiring. However, the game lacks something that will allow you to bypass the VERY long cinematics. I often have to watch the same 2-10 minute long cinematic over and over and over again between fight attempts, which becomes nothing more than an inconvenience and an annoyance. Nobody cares to watch the same sequence over and over and over agian, people on the PC don't have the time or patience for this kind of thing. Next, the game lacks balance. Combat either comes in one or two varieties: You either win by a landslide, or you get one-shotted by a normal creature. I often find myself dying rather easily to the 'beginning' mission monsters; which, in any other game, wouldn't be an issue as the beginning missions are SUPPOSED to be the easiest. They also have a habit of placing high-level monsters into low-level areas. Such as Longbeak being in Dillmoor (which has around 230,000 Hit points on the PC version). They intentionally made the PC version ten-times harder than the X-Box version. What, are you punishing PC players for not using X-Box? I've died a little over 55 times playing the game, and I've not even made it 25% of the way through the game yet. Good game concept, just a poor way of putting it out there. Too much combat-focus as well, not enough character development. And Rush is, more or less, a very selfish and very inconsiderate character. Why they made him so immature is beyond me. They said Rush is to appeal to the Japanese audience. What...are they trying to promote selfishness and immaturity in their players in Japan? Something to think about, at least. Expand
  43. danielw
    Nov 6, 2009
    good game but in players managent could be better eg. you can give any player exactly which sword item etc... you what them to have and the way you what them to fucus (mighty/nimble) but apart from that its a very good for steratergy role play game 10/10
  44. ShaunM
    Oct 29, 2009
    This game is one of th best by Square since they changed from soft to enix as we all know they have made some epic failiures especialy to those FF fans but the story, grafics and battle engine are amazing :)
  45. RonaldB
    Oct 1, 2009
    This is an outstanding game. Using the best of SAGA character development, an innovative combat engine modeled off of squad tactics, but with each character being individualy accounted for (if they are the one attacked, thier chance to dodge is what matters, but formations and current tactics effect who is at risk) an intruiging and well told plot (note, "side" quest are essential to This is an outstanding game. Using the best of SAGA character development, an innovative combat engine modeled off of squad tactics, but with each character being individualy accounted for (if they are the one attacked, thier chance to dodge is what matters, but formations and current tactics effect who is at risk) an intruiging and well told plot (note, "side" quest are essential to experience the majority of it), outstanding graphics (as played on a PC), and most of all, constantly fun. There is something of a steep curve to get good at combat, and if you do not wrap your mind around it, it may seem random, but it isn't very random at all, and a keen understanding of pre fighting tactical choices (setup) and in combat tactical choices is essential to beat any of the major monsters from about the first 1/5 of the game on. fortunately there are numerious (really iunlimited) fights with lesser monsters, and so equally limited (or not) chances to experament. On that note, while the soundtrack is well done and highly fitting, it could have been longer and more various, to match the hours of gameply. That said, it sells as a 4 cd soundtrack... 6 would have been a better minimum. Worth playing by all rpg fans, this manages to be unique and present some experamental ideas with polish and mechanical balance that makes it seem like a much more mature project. on a side note, many reviewers were turned off by the combat engine. I suspect this came from not indulging enough in the gameplay, it is not a standard console rpg, mechanically, and one should not expect to succeed without some new ways of thinking. That said, it is something that the rpg (jrpg especially) market really needs. LR's combat engine is also important as a story telling device, because it is not the story of a few super heroes, but rather of a world war, and the player controls an army. The combat engine allows the player to quickly, elligantly, with simple menu choices and just a few buttons, control a small army of 36 unit (6-10 squads if mem serves), and fight even larger ones, as well as fascilitates massive bosses attacked by your army. For instance, your army fighting a dragon and its horde of followers, in one large battle. So far, no J-styled rpg has greatly surpased the techniques used in the earliest FF games, a big fight as described above would just be your 1 squad fighting a series of battles without a break, followed finally by the big bad, and *maybe* letting you fight the big bad with more than one squad. Gmaes which have used engines to deliver more, have been too convoluted for simple menu based play. LR manages to be simple to control, fun to think about (as a tactical puzzle, which is the big draw of JRPG combat) and delivers a constantly rewarding and enthralling experience. Because of these concerns, I give it a 10. In spite of a few small flaws, LR remains a well designed and built game, consnstantly fun and hcallenging, and truly innovative and worth the time of any player looking for a brilliant new idea. Expand
  46. JaredK
    Aug 28, 2009
    This game is surprisingly good. Even if it looks like a western Final Fantasy, the depth of the main plot and those intense battles are what, in my opinion, add that little extra spice to an excellent game.
  47. MarkL
    Aug 15, 2009
    Let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone. If you're not a fan of JRPG's you will not like this game... If you hate any game that smells like a console port you will not like this game... And finally if you only like games you can just pick up and play because everything is self explanatory you will not like this game... Otherwise.... First off the buggy piece of Let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone. If you're not a fan of JRPG's you will not like this game... If you hate any game that smells like a console port you will not like this game... And finally if you only like games you can just pick up and play because everything is self explanatory you will not like this game... Otherwise.... First off the buggy piece of crap that was the XBox 360 version has been completely redone. Once I updated my video card drivers (the game did not like my 2 year old video card drivers) it ran like a champ with only two crashes in 100+ hours of gameplay. As others have said there is a texture pop in entering new areas but this is an engine limitation and can be minimized with a few tweaks (google it). If you are using a KB/M be sure to look at the hotkeys for the important stuff... the game has some weird defaults like actually using the keyboard's 'pause' key for pausing... In all my years I have never used that key until this game... And the game does show it's console roots in a loading screen between areas but it's only a couple of seconds if that. Otherwise the game is beautiful and a real feast for the eyes. But enough with the technical aspects... This is a really incredible RPG... tons of stuff to do, places to explore... and monsters to fight... The story is pretty good imo... it's not the best but it certainly held my interest... One great feature of the game is the ability to use the original Japanese voice acting with subtitles which makes the drama a lot sharper. The US voice acting is superb as well and is more consistent though with none of the low points that are present in the Japanese score. Game play is really fun most of the times but not without its flaws. It takes a long time to get used to despite seeming to be deceptively simple. One key thing to remember is the game does not reward grinding for most things (and if you try and grind too early you can find yourself in an impossible situation) but rather rewards more efficient gameplay... One huge exception though is components... a system which is incredibly and unnecessarily complex... Also the game can be hard... really hard... especially rare monsters and certain boss fights many of which have an element of pure luck to them that drives some people insane... If you can get over that however you can have some truly epic battles... I would suggest checking out the last remnant wikia for help on the more complex stuff. It's well designed and spoiler free for the most part if you avoid the spoiler areas and explains almost all the technical stuff that the game should explain but unfortunately doesn't (like just what Battle Rank is, what it does for you, how it is raised and why it is not like standard leveling system in that higher does not necessarily mean better). The game is not for everyone but it is far better than many of the professional critics make it out to be if you are willing to give it a chance. Collapse
  48. AnonymousMC
    Aug 11, 2009
    Honestly, all you need to look at is the USER SCORE vs the METASCORE. It's even almost obvious that most of these "professional" reviewers either do not like JRPGs in the first place, are too "hardcore" to play a console-style RPG on PC and write it off even before they try it (and yet playing the same game on console would somehow be OK.. why is that when the PC is factually betterHonestly, all you need to look at is the USER SCORE vs the METASCORE. It's even almost obvious that most of these "professional" reviewers either do not like JRPGs in the first place, are too "hardcore" to play a console-style RPG on PC and write it off even before they try it (and yet playing the same game on console would somehow be OK.. why is that when the PC is factually better in every single way?), or just dislike the game because it isn't FF (as proven by one of the reviews).
    Those who complain about controls are idiots, and should get their heads out of their a**es already and realize there are these things called gamepads and controllers which the PC has been using since the dawn of time. I could use a freaking stearing wheel to play the game if I wanted to, that's the kind of flexibility only a PC could give you, and yet they still find it somehow unthinkable to just plug in a gamepad and play if the KB/M isn't comfortable enough to play the game.

Seriously, if you're looking into this game, ignore the reviews and BUY IT! You will not be disappointed!

Every single technical problem the game had on 360 is completely gone (there's some slight texture pop-in in scene changes as with all UE3 games, which could be fixed with a simple ini tweak), the game is well optimized, and it shows a lot of effort went into the porting of this game. There are a LOT of settings to play with, everything you'd need with the exception of AA, which is the fault of the engine itself but that can be forced.
    The changes and improvements go past the technical side, just look into the Last Remnant wiki to see how many changes (subtle or otherwise) have been introduced to the game itself.

The game isn't without its flaws, there are some bad design decisions that were made (the whole BR thing for example), and sometimes things could feel a bit more random than they should be, and it will take you a while to figure things out and understand how the system works since not everything is completely explained in detail both in the manual and in the game. Don't expect to know the innards of the system like you would with a D&D or a TDE game. All that aside, the game is just fantastic.

Anyway, great game, buy it and support it. I'd very much like to see some more JRPGs make their way to PC, and if you do too, then this is a game you should not miss.
  49. JohnS
    Aug 4, 2009
    This game is really great and addictive! Extremely enjoyable, and just basically delivers as much as any of Square's best RPGs! I honestly don't get why everyone is bringing this game down and tearing down on it, but really, ignore the haters and buy the game. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF, especially with this being one of the few modern JRPGs on PC. Square Enix has done a great job This game is really great and addictive! Extremely enjoyable, and just basically delivers as much as any of Square's best RPGs! I honestly don't get why everyone is bringing this game down and tearing down on it, but really, ignore the haters and buy the game. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF, especially with this being one of the few modern JRPGs on PC. Square Enix has done a great job porting this, all the technical problems found on the X360 are GONE. You have countless system options, and proper keyboard and mouse support (even though you might be more comfortable using a gamepad for this one, and seriously, any PC gamer by now should have at least a gamepad if not other types of controllers as well... REVIEWERS KEEP UP). If you have a decent machine the game will fly, with no slowdowns whatsoever. Seriously, if you want an accurate review, check out the Gamespot review. I almost fully agree with what the reviewer has to say there, but I'll rate the game a 9. I'm giving it a 10 here just to boost the average. Expand
  50. LukeM
    Jul 20, 2009
    ALl in all this is an amazing game with lots of depth and lots to do, the only game that has had me playing for 3 weeks and still not done everything in the game (the extra dungeons are tough, very tough). Don't be put off by the bad reviews if you like jrpgs, as you can see from the reviews some of the reviewers don't even like jrpgs (making a comment that it might be liked in ALl in all this is an amazing game with lots of depth and lots to do, the only game that has had me playing for 3 weeks and still not done everything in the game (the extra dungeons are tough, very tough). Don't be put off by the bad reviews if you like jrpgs, as you can see from the reviews some of the reviewers don't even like jrpgs (making a comment that it might be liked in japan kinda proves that). Also don't be put of by the "lack of transparency" that other people are saying, all the commands etc are perfectly transparent if you are sensible. If you make a jack of all trade union with one mage one physical attacker one healer etc, you will get some odd comands turning up, but use your head and mage a mages union and a tanking union and it all falls into place. Also to counter some points from Kent L's score of 2 "Your unions should really have individuals who die from their wounds rather than the whole team. That way the team is weakend and you can actually see when things are going badly." I assume he didn't actually play the game because that does happen, and you can do it to the opposing unions as well at times. The micromanagement is done by having sensible unions and the orders are actually quite obvious (and if not you can press a button which will show excatly what each unit will try to use) Lots of reviews on here are from people who don't like JRPG's and yes this game probably isn't for them, but if you do like them, this is a game you should at least try. Expand
  51. IanP
    Jul 3, 2009
    I am baffled by all the high scores this game is recieving. Are there so few JRPGs on the pc that gamers are happy with this detestable example. As a rule I love JRPGs and games by square enix are usually a pretty good bet, however something has gone horribly wrong in the making of this game. The problem lies in the battle system. Instead of controllling individual characters who you give I am baffled by all the high scores this game is recieving. Are there so few JRPGs on the pc that gamers are happy with this detestable example. As a rule I love JRPGs and games by square enix are usually a pretty good bet, however something has gone horribly wrong in the making of this game. The problem lies in the battle system. Instead of controllling individual characters who you give specific commmands to, you instead control teams (known as unions) who you give vague actions to. At the start of each term you are given a seemingly random selection of commands, such as use magic, attack and use special attacks, to choose from. These command options are supposedly situational and linked to whoever you have as leader but they just feel completely arbitary. In a number of occasions I have recieved a game over simply because the game never gave me the option of healing (despite my characters being injured). Even if you get the command you actually want to use there is no guarantee that your team will end up using it as characters are prone to switching commands as the situation (which you have no further input into after your initial selection) evolves. Also, unlike traditional JRPGs, there is no notion of elemental weakness. While you can use either magic or physical attacks, there is no way of telling which will be more effective. Most times you end up just using the attack that has the highest AP cost and hoping for the best. The same applies to all the different weapon types and stances, there is no explaination of what they actually do or why you should use them. Initiating battles is a strange hybrid of the MMORPG system. Enemies are visible on the world map and to fight them you have to run near to them and ping (for want of a better word) them with the space bar. If the enemy runs into you without you pinging them they get a massive combat advantage over you. While the game encourages you to fight multiple groups of enemies at the same time, you often find yourself running back and forwards trying to lure a lone enemy away from the pack. The game does away with the classic notion of levelling and experience points. As you fight enemies your stats seem to randomly increase and characters gain more skills. There is a fourth stat that is named differently for each character (eg love, bravery etc) but no one seems to know what it does. As with many aspects of this game, things are just not explained properly. The learning curve is so steep as to be vertical. As for equipment you can only alter the main character Rush's gear. Everyone else in your party randomly levels up their gear as they go along. Characters in your party ask for components (which are dropped as loot for winning a battle) to improve their gear. However, annoyingly, they will only take the components from a battle and not from your inventory. For example if a character needs copper and despite you having twenty pieces in your posession you still have to go battle enemies that drop it if you want them to improve their weapon. For me personally this takes all the fun out of saving up and buying your team new equipment, which was often a large part of a JPRG. The premise of the last remnant is an interesting one so it's a shame that the story is so bland and straightforward. The graphics are ok, but even on a pretty decent pc the load time on some of the textures is epic. You can be halfway through a cut scene and textures are still popping up. The voice acting and sound are fine. It's a shame this game turned out the way it did. I really wanted to like it but the terrible game design conspired against me. If I can prevent even one person from wasting their money on this poor excuse for a JRPG then I'll be a happy man. Expand
  52. RushSykes
    Jun 9, 2009
    It was a very good game, although there are little complications and so so storyline and dialouges, well the game play covers that up, what hit me the most was how the music blended in with each scene or map, the music was one of the best in rpg games, most games from square enix have good music though,
  53. Wanderer
    May 19, 2009
    First I have to mention that I have not played the game to the end at the moment (somewhat at the half way), so keep this in mind when reading my thoughs about this game. Anyway, The Last Renmnant is a game that is one of the few jrpg games out for the PC. This makes the game somewhat special even though it has a traditional jrpg setting, like the hopeless main character. If you can First I have to mention that I have not played the game to the end at the moment (somewhat at the half way), so keep this in mind when reading my thoughs about this game. Anyway, The Last Renmnant is a game that is one of the few jrpg games out for the PC. This makes the game somewhat special even though it has a traditional jrpg setting, like the hopeless main character. If you can tolerate the jrpg cliches that the game has, then you have a great game to enjoy, both in story and in play mechanics. Combat has its own flow and way that needs a bit of practise and experimental. This provides an interesting feel for the game (which is a good thing) and may cause the player to feel a certain level of suggests when a boss is defeated. Graphics and the story clips are beautiful although require a good computer to run smoothly (and without sudden surprises). It should be noted that even if the demo works in your computer, it doesn't mean that the game will. So make sure, you have what it takes to play this game. The game does have a few negative sides though (mainly on the instructions as the games provides only a few notes on things). Facts like battle rank are very poorly explained which may cause a total stop in the story progress as this thing affects the games difficulty. Also, the game has multiple sidequests that are missable because the story doesn't take you everywhere. My recommendation is that players should read more info from the games wikia pages so that the difficulty does not ruin the experience and if you can have the need to find everything that you want in the game. Overall though, this game is a gem and fans of the jrpg genre should at least consider trying it out so that more jrpg games might see daylight on the PC. For others, the game provides a good rpg experience and if interested, I recommend trying out the demo to get a feel for the combat system. Expand
  54. TedC
    May 12, 2009
    I spent several hours looking for a new game, and finally picked The Last Remnant. I am glad I did. Quick warning: Check out the game's website to download their benchmark prog before you buy this game - the graphics are insanely beautiful! The game play mechanics takes a few hours to get used to - you will probably want to read the manual - but this game is a great RPG. I don't I spent several hours looking for a new game, and finally picked The Last Remnant. I am glad I did. Quick warning: Check out the game's website to download their benchmark prog before you buy this game - the graphics are insanely beautiful! The game play mechanics takes a few hours to get used to - you will probably want to read the manual - but this game is a great RPG. I don't know what the negative critics' or users' problems were with the game - this is the first JRPG I have played, and it is a great game. Just takes a little to get used to, but it is something different and worth playing. Expand
  55. PeterW
    May 10, 2009
    A Final Fantasy Style game from Square-Enix... complicated to understand at the beginning with a deep story (old school RPG) but fascinating till the end of the game.
  56. Brumbek
    May 6, 2009
    First, for those reviewers who gave it super-low scores, I say you don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you don't like RPG's/JRPG's, then don't review the game! To all those out there who actually like RPG's and like Square-Enix games, you should try this game! I find it incredibly addictive and fun. The combat system is unique and very cool. First, for those reviewers who gave it super-low scores, I say you don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you don't like RPG's/JRPG's, then don't review the game! To all those out there who actually like RPG's and like Square-Enix games, you should try this game! I find it incredibly addictive and fun. The combat system is unique and very cool. Anybody who whines about not being able to pick the options you want in battle shows that they don't understand how combat works. I've only had one or two cases where I'd liked to be able to do a certain command but I *understood* why I couldn't. Anyway, the story is engaging and I love the characters. The guild tasks are addictive and the whole game is just fabulous. The graphics are awesome, although you really should tweak your RushEngine.ini. Google "Tips and Tricks Depot Last Remnant." To review, if you like RPG's like Ogre Battle, Dragon Force, Final Fantasy's, ect, then try this game. It's totally awesome and one of the most addictive RPG's I've ever played, and I've played a LOT of RPG's. Expand
  57. KentL
    Apr 27, 2009
    The Last Remnant is more or less another JRPG, but this time a bad one. You lead a few squads of troops called unions in battle which can max be 5 at the later stage of the game. You give them quite vauge orders like Stand Still or Attack. You as a player are given extremely little control over your unions and you are only given a maximum of 5 options. One is always Attack. The lack of The Last Remnant is more or less another JRPG, but this time a bad one. You lead a few squads of troops called unions in battle which can max be 5 at the later stage of the game. You give them quite vauge orders like Stand Still or Attack. You as a player are given extremely little control over your unions and you are only given a maximum of 5 options. One is always Attack. The lack of options makes the game seem less tactical which is the only reason why anyone would want to play this game. The story is very meager and when it get's interesting you're being left out just because you're not important enough. You're more or less a pawn in this game even through you can control the one who's supposed to be giving you orders (Lord David). You unions have a health pool instead of real individual health pools and when this collective health pool is reduced to zero the whole team is knocked out. Many times you're not allowed to see the battle in a good camera position either and the only good overlay is from the minimap. Your unions should really have individuals who die from their wounds rather than the whole team. That way the team is weakend and you can actually see when things are going badly. But they probably didn't want to mircomanagement. But the game is too tactical not to mircomanage it. Had it been more strategic their macromanagement motto would be excellent but now it's only cutting off options. And their camera solution is completely ruining the strategic dept it could have had. There is no reason at all why one would want to buy this game. Especially since the game mechanics are too unclear and the "tough" fights are unfair but if nothing else - the game is pretty. Expand
  58. remnant
    Apr 26, 2009
    This game is enjoyable if you like a solid rpg. The story is a bit flimsy but otherwise good. Combat is a fun experience as well as no two combats seem to play out the same so that does not seem to get dull quickly. It is unique as you can not give direct commands to your party members but rather suggestions to groups of them at a time instead. This game is worth playing do not get put This game is enjoyable if you like a solid rpg. The story is a bit flimsy but otherwise good. Combat is a fun experience as well as no two combats seem to play out the same so that does not seem to get dull quickly. It is unique as you can not give direct commands to your party members but rather suggestions to groups of them at a time instead. This game is worth playing do not get put off but what critics may tell you. I actually played through the game. Expand
  59. MacMacca
    Apr 12, 2009
    The last game in this genre I played was way back in the early Naughties on the Dreamcast console. The title being Grandia 2. Although I enjoyed Grandia 2 back then I had no passion for trying out another turn based JRPG, so I'm not sure what drew me to this game. I purchased this game on both the X360 and on the PC, but I only made the latter purchase after finding that even with The last game in this genre I played was way back in the early Naughties on the Dreamcast console. The title being Grandia 2. Although I enjoyed Grandia 2 back then I had no passion for trying out another turn based JRPG, so I'm not sure what drew me to this game. I purchased this game on both the X360 and on the PC, but I only made the latter purchase after finding that even with the game installed to the 360's HDD, it still crippled the game with vast FPS slow-downs in the battle sequences. So, having a fairly decent gaming PC I then decided to get it for PC - and I'm glad I did. Graphically, TLR looks great on PC, and never suffers from frame rate problems. Sure it has little niggles with some slightly longer than hopred texture loading when shifting from one load to the other, but on the whole it doesn't detract from the immersion. If you are expecting a game to just jump in and play, then you will likely become frustrated quickly as the action is fast, and the rush of stats may leave you thinking you are suffering from some sort of attention defficiency. Reading the manual does give you enough knowledge to make you go "Ah!" on occasions when you start playing, but the majority of how the game works can only really be given justice when you've played it for a few hours. Initially, if you don't "get" what is going on, you can feel left thinking that you need to grind areas repeatedly before you can move on with the quests, but once you figure out good grouping (known as Unions) and how best to emply your attacks, you will begin sailing through the missions. There is a lot of scope for upgrades, and you can upgrade your Union members items by either creating or buying them yourself and then waiting for one of them to ask to "borrow" the item, or you will on occasion be asked to goto certain areas to find components they are looking for. Most of the time, you will find your union members will "ninja" loot from you so they can upgrade themselves, but you can seize it if you need it yourself. Overall, when you first start playing you may think the game has a severe learning curve, but persist with it and you will quickly be rewarded with a game which is a pleasure to play, and provides a huge world to play in. Expand
  60. YanR
    Apr 3, 2009
    The Last Remnant was the perfect RPG for someone like me, who hasn't found any of the Final Fantasy main characters or plots interesting. The story is fairly interesting to follow, but, and this is important, it avoids cliches well and the dialogue, world itself and characters (even almost all of the random NPCs you run into on the street have a personality and a story to tell, let The Last Remnant was the perfect RPG for someone like me, who hasn't found any of the Final Fantasy main characters or plots interesting. The story is fairly interesting to follow, but, and this is important, it avoids cliches well and the dialogue, world itself and characters (even almost all of the random NPCs you run into on the street have a personality and a story to tell, let alone the side quests) were absolutely enthralling. The voice acting (I felt the English one was superior to the Japanese one and brought out the characters better) is top notch and shines not only in the plot-advancing cutscenes, but also gives a more intimate feel to the battles, with different squads and units shouting "You ok?!" and "They're coming from the side, get ready!" to each other. Which brings me to the next point, the battle system. It's definitely unique, but it has its flaws if you want to take it apart to raw numbers. The more important thing for me, though, was the excellent cinematic feel I mentioned earlier. The larger battles are complex enough to have you thinking about your next move for a while, so they're not just about mashing A(or Enter). On a side note, the music is "ok" in most parts, but there are some truly outstanding tracks, both in the ambient and battle (mainly boss battle tracks) sections. Altogether, all of these mechanics and development choices seem to have split RPG lovers pretty well apart. For me, this was the best JRPG I've ever played, but be sure to check out the excellent demo available on the 'net if you have doubts about the game! Expand
  61. IsaacK
    Apr 2, 2009
    Don't let the reviewers get you down on this one. I'm not even a fan of JRPGs(including FF) and this is the first one I've played one in a long time. It's great and the combat is mostly enjoyable except the randomness that sometimes occurs but that's usually part of any rpg(crits), and the main character is pretty damn lame at times. I really don't find many Don't let the reviewers get you down on this one. I'm not even a fan of JRPGs(including FF) and this is the first one I've played one in a long time. It's great and the combat is mostly enjoyable except the randomness that sometimes occurs but that's usually part of any rpg(crits), and the main character is pretty damn lame at times. I really don't find many reviews of this game truly accurate(come on IGN complains about the difficulty) and it deserves an 8 in my book by todays scale. Expand
    Mar 29, 2009
    Square-Enix has always done a pretty good job with story telling in their RPGs and they only get better with each new game they produce. However, aside from beautiful graphics and new combat system, I am still left with a "been there, done that" feeling. Unfortunately Square-Enix games still fall into the time-sink traps with things like stopping to level your character or having to click Square-Enix has always done a pretty good job with story telling in their RPGs and they only get better with each new game they produce. However, aside from beautiful graphics and new combat system, I am still left with a "been there, done that" feeling. Unfortunately Square-Enix games still fall into the time-sink traps with things like stopping to level your character or having to click 27 times on a single node to gather all of the stuff from it. If your OCD must be satiated or your idea of playing "hardcore" is repetitive motions in a beautifully rendered environment then this game is worth a play for you. However at $40, don't say you weren't warned that there is nothing ground breaking about this title. Expand
  63. JayceeWolf
    Mar 28, 2009
    When I first started playing I pretty much dove in and for a bit I thought the controls were awful - since they were supposed to be xbox and I was a bit confused because the demo dives strait in. Then I found with a little looking online that you can change the controller to a keyboard in the settings on the title screen. There are different tabs and all you have to do it change xobox When I first started playing I pretty much dove in and for a bit I thought the controls were awful - since they were supposed to be xbox and I was a bit confused because the demo dives strait in. Then I found with a little looking online that you can change the controller to a keyboard in the settings on the title screen. There are different tabs and all you have to do it change xobox controller to keyboard. The next thing I had issues with was the monsters all ganked me, and I couldn't figure out how to get the upper-hand because I'd seen "pull R2" when talking to the guy in the pub about monsters. Push the spacebar as they get near you and problem solved. After figuring out those two things I love the game. The English dub is great, but you can play it with the original Japanese with subtitles, which is fantastic for those of us who prefer the original. The demo is fantastic and from what I've seen online fixes all the issues people were having with the xbox version (frame rates were bad?) I love it. Expand
  64. MikeT
    Mar 27, 2009
    Perfect just perfect finally a decent square enix j rpg for pc i feel sorry for xbox 360 users who had to deal with a lousy bug riddled game this version is perfect bug free runs great maxed out on older single core pc's with 8xxx card a great title to tide you over till the next final fantasy.

1. The promising The Last Remnant gets its best on PC thanks to a technical polish that's far better than the Xbox 360 version. Square Enix achieves an occasional enjoyment in its proposal, with an interesting story and a long term fascinating combat system.
  2. Why does Square Enix port a mediocre game like Last Remnant and not a hit like Final Fantasy?! Why do I need a Gamepad for perfect control?! We recommend Last Remnant only to those select few J-RPG-Fans, who don't own a console… which should probably be about 10 people worldwide.
  3. The PC version of this fun and fascinating role-playing game is far superior to its Xbox 360 counterpart.