• Publisher: Funcom
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2000
8.9

1. Jan 6, 2012
    If you're looking for a balanced review of the game read on. Fanboys just downvote me and move along. The highlight of the game is the way the story and voice-acting haul you into the game and create a compelling atmosphere to find out what happens next. Every character is well-developed and the art assets all converge in a convincing way to support the text. The story is one of the bestIf you're looking for a balanced review of the game read on. Fanboys just downvote me and move along. The highlight of the game is the way the story and voice-acting haul you into the game and create a compelling atmosphere to find out what happens next. Every character is well-developed and the art assets all converge in a convincing way to support the text. The story is one of the best in any adventure game. On the downside the graphic resolution is poor and is a major distraction. The character animations are laughably bad. Moreover, the pacing of the game plays very very slow. Many of the puzzles are obtuse or simply inane. If you read the user reviews the common theme of those who rate this game a 10 is "great story" and it's true. The story is great. The common theme for those who dislike this game are "poor game" and that too is true. The design of this game is below average. Personally, I played this game all the way to the end to see how it ended. But unlike those blinded by nostalgia I won't pretend this the super awesome game because it's not. It's a great story that covers up a rather poor game. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    The Longest Journey was a very fun, in depth story about a college student (April Ryan) and her epic journey through two different worlds. The game was fun, but it was VERY winded with unnecessary dialog, slightly thin characters and a lot of loose ends. The puzzles started off difficult, but became rather easy and common sense oriented after awhile. All of the art work and game design wasThe Longest Journey was a very fun, in depth story about a college student (April Ryan) and her epic journey through two different worlds. The game was fun, but it was VERY winded with unnecessary dialog, slightly thin characters and a lot of loose ends. The puzzles started off difficult, but became rather easy and common sense oriented after awhile. All of the art work and game design was very well done for an older point n' click game. Overall if you are looking for a long adventure game with lots of puzzles, check it out just make sure to skip through much of the 10 min plus dialog (From every damn character! jeez!!). Make sure to save often, you do not want to have to re-sit through some of these story or dialog segments trust me! 5/10 Expand
  3. Feb 18, 2013
    While the technical aspects of the game (Graphics, UI, Controls, Sound) are all perfectly fine for a game developed in the late 90's, the gameplay is kind of broken. Now, I'm an old-timer when it comes to point-n-click adventures. I've played all the LucasArts classics and some other games that were mostly overlooked (e.g. Woodruff the Shnibble of Azimuth) and I'm used to difficultWhile the technical aspects of the game (Graphics, UI, Controls, Sound) are all perfectly fine for a game developed in the late 90's, the gameplay is kind of broken. Now, I'm an old-timer when it comes to point-n-click adventures. I've played all the LucasArts classics and some other games that were mostly overlooked (e.g. Woodruff the Shnibble of Azimuth) and I'm used to difficult puzzles. But TLJ takes it way too far. The puzzles are extremely cryptic and all over the place. Sometimes, they don't even make any sense. The distance between one part of a puzzle and the other part is way too big, there are often way too many items involved and, as said, making the connection between a combination of items (which is ridiculous in itself, item combination puzzles are inherently broken) and their use in the game is way too cryptic. I like difficult puzzles where the solution isn't absolutely obvious, but they still have to make sense. And in TLJ they often don't. That said, TLJ is a mediocre to good game at best. Even though I'm only giving it a score of 6, I still think it is worth playing, considering that, by now, it's extremely cheap and you can sink (thanks to those cryptic puzzles) a lot of time into it. Expand
  4. YanoZ.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Interesting stoyline, but the graphics are HORRIBLE!
  5. Jun 18, 2014
    Meh... At first, I loved this game to death. I thought it was amazing. The voice acting and dialogue are superb, as is the plot. It makes you feel attached to the characters (especially April) and really whisks you away.

However, after a while, it started to feel like a chore, as if I was playing it just to see what happened, not because it was still fun (it wasn't). The puzzles are often silly and arcane. The game is VERY slow-paced and honestly the plot could have been told in 15 hours instead of 40 hours. Much of the game consists of doing filler quests - finding items and solving strange puzzles. Also, the insanely slow pace with which characters move (even with the escape key) and sometimes forces you to watch them to stupid things, such as take out a pipe and smoke it, then put it back, becomes annoying after a while.
  6. Jun 25, 2015
    I really wasn't able to continue playing this game, I've never played it before, to the point I searched everywhere for rankings and opinions trying to understand if I was misjudging it. I think I'm not. The first impressions pointed me to the illogical puzzles I was going to face during the game. The first one pictured me that. I hate games with illogical puzzles and I hate pretentiousI really wasn't able to continue playing this game, I've never played it before, to the point I searched everywhere for rankings and opinions trying to understand if I was misjudging it. I think I'm not. The first impressions pointed me to the illogical puzzles I was going to face during the game. The first one pictured me that. I hate games with illogical puzzles and I hate pretentious games. The 1st Alone in the Dark is a masterpiece, the 4th resembling this one is a pretentious bull evacuation. Grim Fandando and Sanitarium among many others (Captain Blood, Botanicula, Machinarium, The Last Door, Myst, Riven, etc.) belong to the top. I should try playing it, but what can I do...? It doesn't appeal to me! Expand
  7. Oct 18, 2014
    I never really liked this game as much as everyone else did. Yes it does have an interesting - though not terribly original - story and at least some of the characters are also interesting. Especially April is excellent. Also, the backgrounds are quite nice to look at and the ending is especially good (and completely unexpected).

But this is were the good stuff ends. The puzzles in this

But this is were the good stuff ends. The puzzles in this game are downright terrible. Arguably the worst in any adventure game and I am not only referring to the now infamous inflatable ducky puzzle. Puzzles require leaps of logic and can mostly really only be solved through trial and error. Also, so often you really have no idea what you should be doing or that there is a puzzle there in the first place. It gets slightly better as the game progresses, but not much really.

Then there is the length. The Longest Journey is indeed Long! Too long!! Mostly because the story is extremely stretched-out. Moreover, everything in this game is slow: the character animations are slow, the walking is slow and much of the speaking is slow as well. This, combined with the puzzles, makes the game just a chore to play.

Finally there is the character models. Boy do they look HIDEOUS! Both in-game as well as in the cut-scenes characters look like drugged-out alien zombies. April herself is actually the worst offender. She even looks bad on the box art. Cannot imagine how somebody thought this was acceptable, even back in 1999.

So there you have it. While this review may sound overly negative I would still recommend this game, but only for it's story - and for the sequel(s) that follow it.
  8. Apr 22, 2012
    If something it's old, doesn't mean it's not good, i used to play this back in the days it we're released, but sadly wasn't able to complete the entire story, now i finally did it, and i must say i missed lots of nice things, join April on her longest journey, meet many strange people that you would probably never think about, of some fantasy world, this game is filled with fun, and veryIf something it's old, doesn't mean it's not good, i used to play this back in the days it we're released, but sadly wasn't able to complete the entire story, now i finally did it, and i must say i missed lots of nice things, join April on her longest journey, meet many strange people that you would probably never think about, of some fantasy world, this game is filled with fun, and very good puzzles, it's worth to be bought and played. Collapse

1. TLJ is a masterpiece and one of the best Adventures to be released during the past few years. Unfortunately it should be avoided by people who are violently repelled, for themselves or their offspring, by some extremely crude language.
    The powerful story affects you as it unfolds and by the end you will be drained--your life will never be the same again. This game could do to adventure games, what Doom did for the FPS. A must buy for anyone and everyone.
    This game does more than just recreate the nostalgic experience of old school adventure gaming, it actually reinvents how stories can be told in the medium, and gives us a glimpse of what we can expect in the years to come.