• Publisher: Funcom
  • Release Date: Nov 16, 2000
8.9

1. Jan 31, 2012
    I'm playing this game in 2012 and although the graphics are a piece of **** the story is simply amazing! I am pushing on to continue the story, which I feel is very unique. The idea of parallel worlds between chaos and science etc... I love story in my games, and this is coming from a gamer whos never played this game, playing it in 2012. This matches modern games just for the story. GoodI'm playing this game in 2012 and although the graphics are a piece of **** the story is simply amazing! I am pushing on to continue the story, which I feel is very unique. The idea of parallel worlds between chaos and science etc... I love story in my games, and this is coming from a gamer whos never played this game, playing it in 2012. This matches modern games just for the story. Good job funcom. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2012
    This is a gem for its engrossing story and excellent adventure based game play with some clever puzzles. The graphics, however, are not great even given the age of the game - but that can be easily overlooked and the story more than makes up for the sub par graphics.
  3. Apr 24, 2012
    For such an old game, playing it in 2012 and it still entertains and is fun to play. Great story, good music and voices, graphics are totally fine given its age. Puzzles are easy, hence the -1, but otherwise, highly recommended even in 2012 to fans of point-and-click games.
  4. Jan 6, 2012
    If you're looking for a balanced review of the game read on. Fanboys just downvote me and move along. The highlight of the game is the way the story and voice-acting haul you into the game and create a compelling atmosphere to find out what happens next. Every character is well-developed and the art assets all converge in a convincing way to support the text. The story is one of the bestIf you're looking for a balanced review of the game read on. Fanboys just downvote me and move along. The highlight of the game is the way the story and voice-acting haul you into the game and create a compelling atmosphere to find out what happens next. Every character is well-developed and the art assets all converge in a convincing way to support the text. The story is one of the best in any adventure game. On the downside the graphic resolution is poor and is a major distraction. The character animations are laughably bad. Moreover, the pacing of the game plays very very slow. Many of the puzzles are obtuse or simply inane. If you read the user reviews the common theme of those who rate this game a 10 is "great story" and it's true. The story is great. The common theme for those who dislike this game are "poor game" and that too is true. The design of this game is below average. Personally, I played this game all the way to the end to see how it ended. But unlike those blinded by nostalgia I won't pretend this the super awesome game because it's not. It's a great story that covers up a rather poor game. Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2013
    Brilliant point+click adventure. The story is brilliant, amazing voice acting and very few annoying/tedious parts. This game is far superior to the sequel (which doesn't really have a connection to the original). There is no fighting. It also has some funny references to Monkey Island ;)
    The dialogues are very good and immerse you into the universe around you which you want to learn more about, there is back-story to characters and they are not totally bland. I enjoyed the game a lot considering I'm not really into these types of games. Just don't complain about the graphics.
  6. Jun 18, 2014
    Meh... At first, I loved this game to death. I thought it was amazing. The voice acting and dialogue are superb, as is the plot. It makes you feel attached to the characters (especially April) and really whisks you away.

However, after a while, it started to feel like a chore, as if I was playing it just to see what happened, not because it was still fun (it wasn't). The puzzles are often silly and arcane. The game is VERY slow-paced and honestly the plot could have been told in 15 hours instead of 40 hours. Much of the game consists of doing filler quests - finding items and solving strange puzzles. Also, the insanely slow pace with which characters move (even with the escape key) and sometimes forces you to watch them to stupid things, such as take out a pipe and smoke it, then put it back, becomes annoying after a while.
  7. Jun 28, 2012
    Brilliant! Ragnar Tornquist is a genius. Probably the first real adventure title I truly fell in love with. The storyline is magical and epic. The protagonist is witty and cunning. The puzzles are challenging. And the world is immersive and interesting. This game brings back memories. Good memories.
  8. Apr 22, 2012
    If something it's old, doesn't mean it's not good, i used to play this back in the days it we're released, but sadly wasn't able to complete the entire story, now i finally did it, and i must say i missed lots of nice things, join April on her longest journey, meet many strange people that you would probably never think about, of some fantasy world, this game is filled with fun, and veryIf something it's old, doesn't mean it's not good, i used to play this back in the days it we're released, but sadly wasn't able to complete the entire story, now i finally did it, and i must say i missed lots of nice things, join April on her longest journey, meet many strange people that you would probably never think about, of some fantasy world, this game is filled with fun, and very good puzzles, it's worth to be bought and played. Expand
  9. Dec 9, 2013
    I decided to give this game a try just recently. I knew it was an old game and at first I was put off by some of the screenshots, they seemed aged obviously. But I gave it a shot and I have to say this is the best adventure game I have played. The graphics may have aged a bit (in a technical sense, polygon-count etc) but the aesthetics and the art are still amazing and gorgeous. The storyI decided to give this game a try just recently. I knew it was an old game and at first I was put off by some of the screenshots, they seemed aged obviously. But I gave it a shot and I have to say this is the best adventure game I have played. The graphics may have aged a bit (in a technical sense, polygon-count etc) but the aesthetics and the art are still amazing and gorgeous. The story and the voice acting is the games biggest strength and easily beats most modern titles out of the wind. The dialog is extremely well written and almost all the characters seem authentic. The ending could have been a bit more satisfying, it was rather weak compared to all the other stuff the game had to offer. Still, easily the best adventure game out there, even after 14 years. Expand
  10. Dec 27, 2012
    I was extremely impressed by this game. It was a very fun experience even though the graphics were clearly dated (I played this in Nov 2012). The characters are great, the puzzles are fun but not too difficult. I got stuck and checked the UHS hints a few times, but 95% of the time I could solve the puzzle on my own. For me the difficulty level was perfect. It is always clear what the nextI was extremely impressed by this game. It was a very fun experience even though the graphics were clearly dated (I played this in Nov 2012). The characters are great, the puzzles are fun but not too difficult. I got stuck and checked the UHS hints a few times, but 95% of the time I could solve the puzzle on my own. For me the difficulty level was perfect. It is always clear what the next problem to solve is. The game does a good job of giving the player cues as to what is important, what needs to happen next, etc. So in this way the game design was really well done. There was a good combination of humor and drama that I also like. The only downside is that is is maybe a bit too long. It took me ~30 hours (yes, I am slow) to finish. Some editing might have improved the game somewhat. The main character is a teenage girl, maybe hard for some players to identify with, although she is a likeable character. I am sure this game was a graphics phenomenon in 1999 when it was released. In 2012 the low res graphics and primitive animations are a bit distracting, so this is the main reason I give the game an 8 instead of a 9 or 10. Expand
  11. Feb 13, 2013
    Given that this is a hardcore quest is also a great story that can not not listen to the end, is a drug, first it will interest you, then you're at it podsyadet and want more and more, and then begin to stretch the last crumbs of pleasure, because few what game can stir up so you and lead you along in a Longest Journey
  12. Jul 22, 2013
    This game features masterful storytelling, interesting characters and unique and amazing locations. Also the brilliant voice acting fills up for any deficiencies in the graphics department (which were not a problem to begin with). The two worlds concept has been done very well since each of the worlds (a technological world and a fantasy world) has been crafted with amazing details.

I

I was going to give this game a title of the quintessential adventure game', were it not for 2 glaring deficiencies :

1. Some obtuse puzzles
    Some puzzles require completely unrelated objects to be combined and used together. And some puzzles require objects in distant locations (ie non intuitive object finding).

2. The ending brings no overall closure to the overall story, Also, its kinda abrupt
    When you finish an epic game of "saving the world" (or two worlds in this case), you want more than just basic closure for the main character. Questions like what exactly happened to the world(s) and what happened to the other characters afterwards are unanswered here (yeah i know, they are kinda explained in the sequel, but still)

So there you go, if you guys don't have a problem with the two negatives that i have mentioned, this game would definitely be a 10/10 for you. Despite it, its a must have for the lovers of the adventure game genre.
  13. Jan 4, 2012
    If you're too lazy to *read* a good story, then you should skip The Longest Journey. However, if you have a bit more common sense than that, you'll like amazing stories and know that reading those stories is, well, amazing. If you like the idea of following a plot that transcends what you could expect to find in a game, then The Longest Journey is for you. It's the best "point 'n' click"If you're too lazy to *read* a good story, then you should skip The Longest Journey. However, if you have a bit more common sense than that, you'll like amazing stories and know that reading those stories is, well, amazing. If you like the idea of following a plot that transcends what you could expect to find in a game, then The Longest Journey is for you. It's the best "point 'n' click" adventure I ever played (and I played more than 40 games of the genre): it's filled with great written dialogs, puzzles, characters and worlds. Yes, it's so good it stands up when confronted with other gems like Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight and Sanitarium. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2014
    Wonderful, simply wonderful game adventure game! Definitely a masterpiece which would stay in my heart forever. It has a few (minor) problems and unfortunately is not completely playable to modern gamers, but I'll try to review it as objectively as I can!

Plot: without a doubt the strongest point of the game! The Longest Journey tells you about April Ryan, a teenager which got entwined in the complex story of Stark - the world of science and logic, the one we know, Arcadia - the world of magic and wonders which exists in parallel to ours, and The Balance - which is in between the two worlds. The balance between the two worlds gets corrupted, putting in danger both worlds. The story goes far beyond that, with some twists and turns, and is also quiet deep. A little complex at times, yet that's what makes it so interesting!

Settings: The game takes place in the far future (23rd century if I'm not mistaken). It therefore has sort of sci-fi settings, with a futuristic version of our world on one side and the magical world of Arcadia on the other. The characters have depth and some are even memorable. The futuristic version of our world is rather believable, and the world of Arcadia is very well-crafted and actually lets you explore a whole new world, including its folklore, tales, histories and different nationsspecies. The game's setting is very well thought and detailed, which adds a lot to the main story and make the game even more interesting! Add the amazing writing and the outstanding acting and you got yourself a Masterpiece.

Gameplay: The Longest Journey has the classic point and click interface. You collect items, combine and use them in order to solve puzzle, and keep exploring and examining your surroundings, talking to the people around you... The puzzles are pretty original and interesting, not too ordinary and yet I found most of them quiet logical. I (almost) never found myself thinking "damn, I would have never figured it out myself!" (except for that rubber ducky puzzle in the biginning!)
    One little thing that annoyed me though, there wasn't always balance between puzzles and dialogues, where I think there should have been. You can, at times, find yourself talking with people, more and more, without messing with the inventory at all, while at other times there's almost no dialogue and many puzzles to solve.

Graphics: The graphics are generally beautiful, the game uses 3d models which move over 2d backgrounds, and while the models are usually ugly the backgrounds are amazingly beautiful and nice to watch and observe. Even by simply checking the game's artworks you can see there was much though put in that. Still, the graphics are limited and the game runs in a pretty low resolution (like many games from the nineties)

Sounds and music:TLJ features a beautiful, magical soundtrack. Still, unfortunately, I felt the game lacks music. The game's soundtrack lasts for about a hour, and was used in the game only occasionally for short bits. I really like music in video games, and therefore was sometimes disappointed with this aspect. It's nothing critical though, because there are great sound effects and background noises which always correspond greatly to your surroundings, the the sounds&soundtrack are still done pretty well.

Compatibility: This game is rather old, and I still managed to run it on 3 different computers, which were all modern compared to this game, with almost no problems at all. So you're still able to play it on modern machines even nowadays without much effort.

Test of Time: Unfortunately, the game is not as approachable as it was on its release. Many modern gamers would stay away from it, as it greatly centers on dialogues and story. There's a lot of content which isn't even relevant to finishing the game. TLJ requires a lot of your time, attention and patience, and even I couldn't always stand it while playing it last week. It was different when I first played it, many years ago, but nowadays players don't have so much patience as before. Modern gamers are ususally looking for things they won't find in this game. Add the dated graphics which by today's standards are terrible, and you get a game which is unfortunately fully appreciated mainly by those who played it back when it was fresh and new, even though storywise it's a great classic!

In short, this game is almost perfect, but is unfortunately not for the impatience or seekers of quick-paced adventures, as this one takes its time. If you only let it, it would tell you one of the most wonderful tales told in the video-gaming world in the last two decades.
  15. Mar 26, 2011
    This is the second best game I have ever played, and I've been a gamer my entire life. This game draws you in. It's a ridiculous masterpiece. The voice acting is brilliant, and the story... the story is no less than art. It's a puzzle game of sorts, but that won't stop anyone with an imagination from going wild over it, even if you're more into shooters or othersuch. Absolutely, 100%,This is the second best game I have ever played, and I've been a gamer my entire life. This game draws you in. It's a ridiculous masterpiece. The voice acting is brilliant, and the story... the story is no less than art. It's a puzzle game of sorts, but that won't stop anyone with an imagination from going wild over it, even if you're more into shooters or othersuch. Absolutely, 100%, buy it. Buy it and play it. You'll think about this game long after it's finished.

Get the sequel too. It's excellent.
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    This game happens to contain one of my favourite universes and it was so well made. I'm not really a fan of adventure games, but this game managed to keep me enthralled. The characters were amazing and the story was to. I have recommend this game to multiple people in hopes they'll play it, so I'd recommend it to you to!
  17. Feb 18, 2013
    While the technical aspects of the game (Graphics, UI, Controls, Sound) are all perfectly fine for a game developed in the late 90's, the gameplay is kind of broken. Now, I'm an old-timer when it comes to point-n-click adventures. I've played all the LucasArts classics and some other games that were mostly overlooked (e.g. Woodruff the Shnibble of Azimuth) and I'm used to difficultWhile the technical aspects of the game (Graphics, UI, Controls, Sound) are all perfectly fine for a game developed in the late 90's, the gameplay is kind of broken. Now, I'm an old-timer when it comes to point-n-click adventures. I've played all the LucasArts classics and some other games that were mostly overlooked (e.g. Woodruff the Shnibble of Azimuth) and I'm used to difficult puzzles. But TLJ takes it way too far. The puzzles are extremely cryptic and all over the place. Sometimes, they don't even make any sense. The distance between one part of a puzzle and the other part is way too big, there are often way too many items involved and, as said, making the connection between a combination of items (which is ridiculous in itself, item combination puzzles are inherently broken) and their use in the game is way too cryptic. I like difficult puzzles where the solution isn't absolutely obvious, but they still have to make sense. And in TLJ they often don't. That said, TLJ is a mediocre to good game at best. Even though I'm only giving it a score of 6, I still think it is worth playing, considering that, by now, it's extremely cheap and you can sink (thanks to those cryptic puzzles) a lot of time into it. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2010
    The Longest Journey was a very fun, in depth story about a college student (April Ryan) and her epic journey through two different worlds. The game was fun, but it was VERY winded with unnecessary dialog, slightly thin characters and a lot of loose ends. The puzzles started off difficult, but became rather easy and common sense oriented after awhile. All of the art work and game design wasThe Longest Journey was a very fun, in depth story about a college student (April Ryan) and her epic journey through two different worlds. The game was fun, but it was VERY winded with unnecessary dialog, slightly thin characters and a lot of loose ends. The puzzles started off difficult, but became rather easy and common sense oriented after awhile. All of the art work and game design was very well done for an older point n' click game. Overall if you are looking for a long adventure game with lots of puzzles, check it out just make sure to skip through much of the 10 min plus dialog (From every damn character! jeez!!). Make sure to save often, you do not want to have to re-sit through some of these story or dialog segments trust me! 5/10 Expand
  19. Sep 4, 2014
    The Longest Journey was quite literally the pinnacle of my experiences from gaming since i started playing games back in 1992!
    The game does have its shortfalls, the mechanics are a touch clanky, some of the puzzles are silly, but I have never gotten so completely engrossed in the story and characters of a game as I did with the Longest Journey. The game is now 14 years old, so if you are after the latest and best graphics available then move along, the mechanics of the game are a vessel with which to carry one of the most intriguing and ingenious plot-lines you will ever experience.
  20. May 7, 2012
    My favourite adventure game of all time! It has all - great characters and dialogues, interesting puzzles and story...story that makes you think, laugh and cry.When it comes to gaming this is truly a masterpiece! My rating:10/10.
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    I have finished it today, but I should have played it long long time ago, it's a pretty good game. The plot is amazing as well as the characters, the puzzles and the music
  22. Oct 7, 2013
    This is The Game (with a big "T" and a big "G") of its genre: an epic Adventure, with a big "A". In this game you'll make a journey between our world, depicted in a very realistic way, and a fantastic fantasy world. This duality gives the game a lot of variety in its atmosphere, story, characters, dialogs and puzzles. Yet, the whole thing stays consistent, and is therefore reallyThis is The Game (with a big "T" and a big "G") of its genre: an epic Adventure, with a big "A". In this game you'll make a journey between our world, depicted in a very realistic way, and a fantastic fantasy world. This duality gives the game a lot of variety in its atmosphere, story, characters, dialogs and puzzles. Yet, the whole thing stays consistent, and is therefore really immersive, which is no less than a feat for a fantasy story. Story which is engrossing. Dialogs are funny, full of humanity and well interpreted by the voice actors, which gives characters a solid deepness. Graphisms (except for the archaic 3D of the characters) and art style are very, truely beautiful. Along with the music and sounds effects, they create incredible atmospheres. Most of the puzzles, while challenging enough, aren't as hard as in other adventure games: they make sens (and no too-small-to-be-seen item to pick up), which is yet another very good point to be added on one of the "Longest" list of qualities for a game. Expand
  23. Oct 7, 2014
    This is my absolute favorite of all the point and click adventure games. It's so incredibly good in every way. The story is incredible, the characters are vivid, the locations colorful and full of eye-catching beauty. I love the mystery of this game, how it slowly gets you deeper and deeper into April Ryan's world, step by step, never leaving you bored. I remember playing this as a tenThis is my absolute favorite of all the point and click adventure games. It's so incredibly good in every way. The story is incredible, the characters are vivid, the locations colorful and full of eye-catching beauty. I love the mystery of this game, how it slowly gets you deeper and deeper into April Ryan's world, step by step, never leaving you bored. I remember playing this as a ten year old after school, totally blown away, couldn't even get my homework done, haha! You've been warned! :) Expand
  24. Jun 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Expand
  25. Feb 2, 2011
    10 out of 10, and I wish there were more points to give...

10 out of 10, and I wish there were more points to give...

The Longest Journey is not for everyone. If you're looking for shiny, fancy graphics, or a quick, mindless shoot-em-up, well, what are you doing on this page in the first place? If, however, you're looking for an intriguing story in a richly developed world, you need to play this game. First, the bad news: It's slow. Yes, the barely literate reviews saying it was slow to play are correct. The walking speed is irritating sometimes, and trial and error puzzles between screens can take a while. The graphics are also primitive, but, hey, it's from 2000. I only mention it because, once you've played more recent games, it takes a while to adjust back. I missed a couple items because I'm used to more recent games. Once I'd played for a little while, though, I got my brain back into 2000 and it was all good.
    The medium news: Language and Content. This isn't a game for kids. It's a mature adventure. (not the porn version of mature, which, let's face it, is an odd use for the word anyway) TLJ simply deals with adults on their level, which includes profanity, drugs, etc. It's not gratuitous, but it is worth noting. So don't let your kids play it.
    The interface is fine. Nothing special, but nothing irritating either. Standard adventure fare here.
    The good news: Everything else. WoutT complained in his review that the game was made for the story, rather than the other way around. If you think this is a bad thing, then this isn't the game for you. If, however, you're looking for that oh-so-rare story-driven gameplay, then this is a gem not to be missed. There is lots of dialogue, written not just to advance the story, but to flesh out the world, making it an immersive and detailed place, rather than just a backdrop. Humor, drama, suspense, and even some action spread over the many hours of gameplay keep the story from becoming monotonous. There is a rich variety of characters, and while I'd love to give examples, to show the variety, discovering them is too much of a joy to ruin. But with a "realistic" world and a fantasy world in one game, the characters never feel cloned or stale. A few are more obviously placed as quest-givers, but most have at least some backstory and all the main characters feel real and nuanced. The puzzles, as in any good adventure game, will have different reactions from different players. Some will find them obvious, some will be baffled constantly. Personally, (and I'm not very good at adventure games, at least without the occasional hint) I did pretty well. They get easier as you learn how the developers thought, but they never get stale. On the occasions when I did check online (UHS hints is a godsend) I found myself smacking my forehead, because I really should have thought of the solution myself. There are few moments when you have to do something really inane to solve a puzzle, and just as few when it's all laid out for you. The gameplay is linear, but this was never meant to be sandbox. It's about the story, so it follows a relatively straight path. The Longest Journey is like an interactive novel with puzzles, so the linearity didn't bother me in the slightest. Frankly, with the size of the world(s) and the slow walking speed, knowing which puzzle to solve next was nice. The sound contributes nicely to the overall experience. I wasn't blown away by its brilliance, but it was always well-suited and effective.
    Replayability is moderate to low, since it's an adventure game, but at 40+ hours for a single play-through, that's still pretty darn good.

I'm not a big adventure game fan. I rarely play them and even more seldom enjoy them. So for me to rave about an adventure game means it really goes above and beyond. A mature story with well developed settings and characters, told with rich dialogue over plenty of play-time, The Longest Journey does what few games have even approached in the decade since it was released. Play this game.

P.S. It's hard to take an opinion seriously if the writing in a review is so poor that it becomes comedy. Saying that the game is not "intriguently" sophisticated doesn't make your case very well. There's even a spell checker available for posts. Just saying.....
  26. Feb 8, 2013
    I feel the need to write something since it seems like most people are just giving this insanely high scores. Why this game has become highly regarded through the years has always been somewhat of a mystery to me it is one of the last big adventure games published in the `90s, and one of the most widely distributed (I think it's large retail footprint, after Sierra Lucasarts had mostlyI feel the need to write something since it seems like most people are just giving this insanely high scores. Why this game has become highly regarded through the years has always been somewhat of a mystery to me it is one of the last big adventure games published in the `90s, and one of the most widely distributed (I think it's large retail footprint, after Sierra Lucasarts had mostly left the adventure game, contribued a lot to it's success, I think).

I don't mind old-school graphics, but they are from a cringe-worthy era of pre-rendered 3d be warned. The gameplay controls also have not-so-bad quirks.

The story was vaguely interesting, and gripping at times, but extremely slow-paced, and long there are definitely good bits here, but relative to other adventure games from Sierra/Lucasarts/Wadjet Eye or even Telltale... I am just baffled by the ratings this gets. There are many more important classic games to play through and ones that have stood up much better.
  27. Jan 24, 2013
    I have been playing video games for twenty years. FPS, RPG, RTS, Point & Click adventure, platformer, puzzle, et cetera. Some of my favourites include Arcanum, Baldurs Gate II, System Shock 2, Mass Effect, and Deus Ex. But The Longest Journey is my all time number one favourite game. I got it for like $3 on a steam sale, on a whim. Three dollars for thirty-ish hours of the finest game II have been playing video games for twenty years. FPS, RPG, RTS, Point & Click adventure, platformer, puzzle, et cetera. Some of my favourites include Arcanum, Baldurs Gate II, System Shock 2, Mass Effect, and Deus Ex. But The Longest Journey is my all time number one favourite game. I got it for like $3 on a steam sale, on a whim. Three dollars for thirty-ish hours of the finest game I have evert played is a steal. Sure, the graphics are **** But the game is fun and the story rocks. Expand
  28. Jun 28, 2013
    A true gamer would care not for the graphics quality but for the game's true quality.
    The story is beautiful, and the characters are very easy to relate to. The puzzles are not too difficult, but also fairly challenging. There is also humor in the game. It's one of those games that are long and they grow on you and after you finish it, it's a shock. I still wish to stay in that world. I wish the longest journey were a longer journey. I love it so much I have played it over and over again. (71 hours!)
  29. Aug 6, 2013
    Well where i am suppose to start this game is awesome in many ways voice acting, graphics and the thing that you have 2 whole worlds to explore and the riddles that you must solve the are just mind blowing i dunno as i said all about this game is really GREAT best adventure game i ever played if there was scale much higher that 10 i will surely give the higher
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    Worst game ever yo. I heard that this one is all about magic, and science and so I tapped it instantly, only to find out that not only you can't blow up stuff with this one, but you don't even have a decent inventory. Instead it's a walk and talk simulator, how boring is that. And whats with the graphics yo, seriously, it's like worse than Counter Strike, how is this even possible, oh myWorst game ever yo. I heard that this one is all about magic, and science and so I tapped it instantly, only to find out that not only you can't blow up stuff with this one, but you don't even have a decent inventory. Instead it's a walk and talk simulator, how boring is that. And whats with the graphics yo, seriously, it's like worse than Counter Strike, how is this even possible, oh my God. I mean look at this, they did not even tried to make it look better, how amatoerish they are. The plus side is that poor people who can't even afford video cards can run it too. 10/10 would play Mass Effect instead, seriously just skip this one guys, even games on my mums ancient iPhone 3 looks better. Expand
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    This game is absolute a true addiction ! In my opinion is the master of all adventure games ( the whole story including Dreamfall and the coming soon Dreamfall Chapters.) A true adventure gamer who respects himself/herself must try it out !
  32. Oct 18, 2014
    I never really liked this game as much as everyone else did. Yes it does have an interesting - though not terribly original - story and at least some of the characters are also interesting. Especially April is excellent. Also, the backgrounds are quite nice to look at and the ending is especially good (and completely unexpected).

But this is were the good stuff ends. The puzzles in this

But this is were the good stuff ends. The puzzles in this game are downright terrible. Arguably the worst in any adventure game and I am not only referring to the now infamous inflatable ducky puzzle. Puzzles require leaps of logic and can mostly really only be solved through trial and error. Also, so often you really have no idea what you should be doing or that there is a puzzle there in the first place. It gets slightly better as the game progresses, but not much really.

Then there is the length. The Longest Journey is indeed Long! Too long!! Mostly because the story is extremely stretched-out. Moreover, everything in this game is slow: the character animations are slow, the walking is slow and much of the speaking is slow as well. This, combined with the puzzles, makes the game just a chore to play.

Finally there is the character models. Boy do they look HIDEOUS! Both in-game as well as in the cut-scenes characters look like drugged-out alien zombies. April herself is actually the worst offender. She even looks bad on the box art. Cannot imagine how somebody thought this was acceptable, even back in 1999.

So there you have it. While this review may sound overly negative I would still recommend this game, but only for it's story - and for the sequel(s) that follow it.

1. TLJ is a masterpiece and one of the best Adventures to be released during the past few years. Unfortunately it should be avoided by people who are violently repelled, for themselves or their offspring, by some extremely crude language.
    The powerful story affects you as it unfolds and by the end you will be drained--your life will never be the same again. This game could do to adventure games, what Doom did for the FPS. A must buy for anyone and everyone.
    This game does more than just recreate the nostalgic experience of old school adventure gaming, it actually reinvents how stories can be told in the medium, and gives us a glimpse of what we can expect in the years to come.