8.2

1. Sep 22, 2010
    Lotro has the potential to surpass World of Warcraft in popularity, 'cause it's now free to play. When comes to quality, Lotro just barely misses WoW. I have to say, I am hooked.However, I would like to criticize travel time. I keep finding myself annoyed by having to go here and there to get this and that, train this or that, or kill this and that. Then again, aren't they all like that?
  2. Dec 28, 2010
    You could sum this all up why saying, Yes this does the the content/community/design to compete...and beat WoW. Complete with Beautiful environments, and it sticks to the lore. Zones feel more like actual worlds to explore and adventure in, rather than something to swing by in to get a explorer achievment. My only complaint is that it is a tad lacking on PvP, or PvMP as it is called. Other than that...whats not to like? Expand
  3. May 2, 2011
    2007-2009 this game was a solid 8-9 rating. Great RPG, great story telling, really good Middle Earth lore, frequent updates and expansion. Then they converted the game to a free to play model. Sure they may be making more money but...very little content since Siege of Mirkwood. No expansion for 2 years. Every activity in the game now funnels you in to their micro transaction store. This mmo WAS a great gamers game, not it's a cash cow for Turbine and is no longer a gamers game (if that makes any sense to you gamers out there). Expand
  4. Aug 17, 2012
    Extreme good and bad points. Very good graphics, very good gameplay, very unimaginative quests making the game tedious, very annoying intrusive way of trying to get you to spend real money all the time to speed up progress which is very slow. It reminds me of Guild Wars but somehow doesn't give quite the same feeling of really being there, it's more of a grind and less emotionally engaging.
  5. Aug 21, 2012
    The game is only free to play until level 25 then you must pay for almost everything you want to do, monthly fee plus expansions make this game quite expensive in the long run. You are "allowed" to pursue your epic story line with the only "reward" being you are allowed to view more of the storyline. I've read the books and seen the movies so nothing new in pursuing the epic story line.
  6. Jul 18, 2012
    A generally average game overall. Through years 2007-2009 the game saw expert expansions and care for the player base. When the game went free-to-play and were acquired by Warner Brothers, Turbine began to care less about the player base. It is now a free game, but if you want to really play this game easily without spending any money, it will take a very long time.
  7. Sep 17, 2011
    A solid MMORPG with great graphics, excellent quest system, and a solid UI. Free to play is great along with the other subscription models to chose from. The lore from Lord of the Rings is an extra bonus.
  8. Aug 15, 2011
    LOTRO is probably one of the best MMORPGs out there that I have played, you CAN pay but if you don't you can still get the meat of the game. Imagine World of Warcraft but free, the community is MUCH better, storyline that ties into the books/movies, and the classes are more flushed out then in WoW. However with that said the game is not perfect. I have had many glitches where the music would stop and all I would hear are the ambient noises. The roleplaying community is really nice (if you are interested) and the game is very much alive. I went in to LOTRO not planning on spending ANY money on it and so far I've put over 60$ on the game (including the new expansion about to come out) Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2011
    I wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still a very-good MMO. It receives constant updates and never feels "boring." Expand
  10. Nov 30, 2013
    I really liked this game, well maybe i didn't like some mechanics but it was super fun overall. I think it's an mmo a lot of people can play without being completely devoted to it.
  11. Nov 23, 2012
    BEST MMO IN HISTORY. WoW is very, very good. Rift is also very good. GW1 and GW2 both very good. Everquest 1 and 2 are pretty good and so on and on. LOTRO on the other hand is exceptional. It has a certain quality that ALL the others lack. For me, it is by far the most immersive MMO I've experienced which just keeps growing. The sound, graphic style, the mounts, the lore, the environments are as good as it gets. It's hard to find fault with LOTRO and why I feel it deserves a perfect 10. From a gaming perspective, I can't see how they could improve it??? Even with all the big guns of our modern times (TOR and GW2), they should have used LOTRO as a template and bettered it. Instead, they created a fancier graphics, poor mans replacement. Tut tut for all that money wasted. Oh, LOTRO is FREE TO PLAY!!! Go download now and enjoy. Bye. Expand
  12. Sep 21, 2011
    Really fun and great game for it's time, but later during development it seems like the game developers are more focused on adding new content then fixing the existing problems. But, at least its free to play now.
  13. Aug 3, 2012
    On initial play, I gave this a 9/10 (having bought the Steam starter pack, which includes a horse and 3 quest packs). For $15 (on sale then), it was such great value for money. Loads of fun time played, hours and hours in fact, and made it to about level 40+ easy enough. At this stage, I've no problem with the need to buy new quest packs, nothing is entirely free, but it is also at this stage I begin to pull pack from the high rating. First, the pros, some areas are really great (Evendim especially, and I hear Lothlorien is but not been there yet), lovely music, lovely storyline, helpful community, and if you get into a good kin, that's very good. But cons do appear later on, some areas are not interesting at all but you need to play them to level up (-1), there gets a stage where it really turns into a grind (repetitive tasks) to level up so as to continue the story (-1), and Turbine could be more generous with swift-travel (instant A-to-B travel), without which you're less inclined to try new areas(-1). This is the only MMO I've played, so I cannot compare, but for me, so far worth the money, but will probably only ever be a casual game (10 hours a month play), and will probably buy quest packs to continue on in that casual sense. I'd recommend it for those also looking for the more casual, friendly, and storyline MMO's, not to be taken too seriously, but definitely fun. (as an aside, it would be interesting in seeing a single-player game that lives in the same world, can run through epic quests directly one after the other, can chat with others but no fellowships required, and is pure storyline based. I say this because at times I do really like spending time inside the world, but having to wait to get fellowship help from kins or friends can be annoying when playing at off/quiet server times). Expand
  14. Jun 12, 2012
    The game was fun at launch, many years ago. Now its outdated and I just don't feel like grinding for 200 hours to max level. This is one of the worse MMOs for grinding out quests to gain levels. I love middle earth as much as the next guy but turbine didn't do middle earth or the lore of the rings series complete justice with this game. It lacks solid PVP, it lacks end game, its just a game dedicated for those few that love middle earth, and those that love grinding out quests in groups. Expand
  15. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is 50% there. The good parts come first. Lets start with the gameplay. The items are okay, the armor looks really nice. Its nice to meet up with aragorn and a few other characters. I started to have second thoughts about this after a few long quests. Its fun, but pretty boring. A real RPG nerd would love this though. Bad parts are the fact that they act like they need 1,0000000 dollars a year so everywhere, there is ads for their items. You get ads by turbine on all loading screens, every time you go to a shop and pretty much everywhere else. The shop has everything and about 500 expansions that cost real money. They have 100 dollar booster packs that have expansions and about everything else. The expansions do look fun, and I may add to this review if I ever buy one. Expand
  16. Jul 17, 2012
    I've played this game recently and lets first say that it is mega addictive and there is always something to do and look forward to each level you gain.
    The graphics are pretty great, very wide variety of options and the maps are outstanding. Like 'The Shire' in LOTRO is amazing and just looks extraordinary. The game play is also quite great, the combat is slow yet you can't expect a
    whole lot of fast paced action in Lord of the rings can you?
    However, there is one downside to the game that after lvl 30-35 you dont get free to play maps anymore. And you must either pay real cash or gain lots of TP (Turbine Points) (In-game store) to keep on playing.
    Which is a little expensive but really its worth it.
    + Great crafting system and the community is always willing to help newbies etc.
    Definitely something to check out
  17. Jul 27, 2012
    I am really not sure where that Thradar fellow is getting his information, but Lord of the Rings Online has been constantly updating, especially since Siege of Mirkwood, and I'm not talking tweaking what's already there. Since SoM, there's been Enedwaith, Rise of Isengard and the Great River as major areas, as well as the aformentioned tweaking. They've updated a lot of the art and presentation, giving a more immersive experience to the areas. Dunland feels like Dunland, which feels just a little different than Enedwaith, even though they're technically the same area on the map of Middle-Earth.

They've added several instances, across the board, as well as for end-game experiences. And they're the only game experience I've had so far where I'm still unfolding an epic storyline at level cap! Come Septenmber 5th: mounted combat and the Riders of Rohan expansion! Hope to see you there!
  18. Nov 19, 2012
    Lord of the Rings Online is a basically a World of Warcraft clone. I'm sorry to say this, It makes my tongue dripping with bile, but I can only draw this conclusion. Unless you have a job and can purchase the other 90% and more of the actual gaming content, you won't have a great time. To be honest, this game doesn't have much different from other MMOs. The only thing that stands out is that it takes place in Middle-Earth. If you're a Lord of the Rings Nerd like me, you would keep playing because the game will give you several nerdgasms and force you to geek all over the floor. This is probably why the game is still healthy. Most of the player-base are huge Lord of the Rings fans since the 20th century and are adults by now. Meaning they enjoy this game, because they can support the content.
    For a casual gamer who has never heard of Lord of the Rings. This is going to be a waste of time or a nice trip that takes up a month of your time in the F2P zone, depending on how you interpret it. The highest I got to is my level 32 Human Captain. Afterwards, I was just bored because sure you can do the main storyline quests. However, I keep dying because my Captain is under-leveled and sometimes the LOTR community is a bunch of elitist **** who hate younger players. So after level 30 or so, it's just a bother to continue playing.
    I'd like to give this game an seven because of how beautiful the game's story is laid out. However, what matters is the gameplay. Did I have fun? Kind of. Will the majority of the gamers have fun? Probably not. So take this if you have random spasms of nostalgia, if not, probably should get into Lord of the Rings first.
  19. Dec 1, 2012
    This definitely has the potential to surpass WoW! I love the game-play, though I do have to say travel time (even on horses) is a problem. But what's a problem like that next to how good this COMPLETELY FREE game is?!
  20. Jul 27, 2014
    LOTRO is at its core a WoW clone. However, unlike Rift it does not copy and perfect but instead just createa a cheap copy that doesn't feel as good. This doesn't mean its a bad game however, and it does show real promise.

PvP

PvP in LOTRO is very basic, one big map, one game mode... that's it. Despite this simplicity however the PvP experience is a fairly solid one and one which
    keeps people coming back.

PvE

I found the PvE really enjoyable. It has a good balance and therefore doesn't feel too easy, a problem which a lot of MMOs are effected with. This balance helps too make questing a lot more fun.

Quests

The quests are overall disappointing, they're no where near as good has they should have been. A lot of quests will tell you to go somewhere and complete an objective, you get back after doing the task and it will tell you to go back and complete another objective in the same place, it leaves me thinking why didn't you just give me both quests at the same time, it is this bad quest design which really holds with game back. Another problem with quest is the large amount of group quests, these occur normally at the end of a story line, now there are a number of problems with this, 1. Not everyone has friends to play with all the time and not all zones have enough people playing to group up with someone else, 2. Due to the fact you can't complete the quest you're missing out on the end of the quest line and therefore the story, 3. these quests are also meant to take players to new quest hubs but because you can't complete them it leaves player lost wondering what to do next.

Lore/ world design

This is Tolkien's world and this is Tolkien's lore, and Turbine have done a good good at recreating it within an MMO.

Combat

Combat is a bit clucky but overall it is fairly descent just not as good as some other MMOs.

Crafting

The crafting system is below par for me, it's dull and just overall boring to engage with.

Optimization

It's very good considering the look of the game, this is one of the games strongest points.

Graphics

The landscapes are very good, the art style is nice however, the human architecture is just awful and you can also tell that the Turbine team were sticking to a budget.
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    This game looks amazing, the sound is excellent and despite the oh so WOW safe and proven formula, it isnt a WOW copy and theres enough differences to notice it. And Radagast is awesome.
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    I like this game a lot, not too easy, not too hard. The zones are reproduced very accurately and the class's feel good to me. Overall I like this game.
  23. Nov 23, 2013
    I would have given Lord of the Rings online an 8 or 9 back in 2007 at launch or up to 2 years after it. But time has changed as did Lord of the Rings online, so I will comment on how the game is now.

Lord of the Rings online is almost a MUST PLAY for every Tolkien fan. The developer always works close with the Middle-Earth Enterprise (the license holder of Tolkiens legacy) to make sure
    that the game is very close to the lore. A lore that's one of the most richest ones in the whole Fantasy genre.

The game world is very well done and gives you a very good feeling of how Tolkien meant Middle-Earth to be. Weather you visit Bree to take a drink at the Prancing Pony, take a stroll across Rivendell or walk through the Mines of Moria, the world feels quite real.

One of the best features of Lord of the Rings online is the epic story. At the start of the game your character is about 3 months behind the Fellowship. While playing through the 'original' game (the one that was released in 2007), you'll stay behind the Fellowship, only to catch up with them in Rivendell at some time.
    The epic story does not tell the story of the Fellowship or your character though. Instead it tells a story of what's happening all around Middle-Earth and reveals things that are not written in the book.

Game play though is an other thing (and why I'm giving it a 7 now). For a MMORPG there's very little player interaction in the lower levels. Mainly the last 2 expansions (Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep as of this writing) are the places where you need to party to get your progress in the epic story. In the 'older' expansions the game has been modified so that you can actually play the old party content all alone, which I think is a sad thing.

In all, I think Lord of the Rings online is still a very good MMORPG for it's age and I hope that Turbine will be able to extend it's license (about to expire in 2014 and no word about it so far) so that we can play the game for an other 5 years.
  24. Jan 6, 2014
    If you like loot, this game is for you.
    If you played D2, this game is for you.
    If you like unique builds, this game is for you.

Truly F2P, truly amazing. Best game of the last 10 years for me.
  25. Dec 8, 2013
    Finally....an MMO set in Tolkien's world. Loved exploring the Shire, the Old Forest, Bree, Rivendell. Great music. Fantastic sights and sounds. The darkness of Angmar was great. The RIFT raid was epic. At the start, the 'housing neighborhoods' were wonderful (sadly, Turbine did nothing to update this aspect of the game in later years). Exceptional work and something I'd highly recommend for any gamer who liked reading or watching The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Expand
  26. Mar 30, 2014
    This is a very fun game with hours of time. The quests are really well written and it has good graphics. It is also a great representation of Middle Earth. The only thing that I would change is for the world to be less static ie. the monsters attack camps etc

1. With Turbine's long-standing MMORPG expertise powering proceedings and one of the most welcoming communities in gaming, LOTRO presents a stunning and evocative world of Tolkien magic to explore - if you're any kind of fan, it would seem pretty much an essential purchase.
  2. It's absolutely no exaggeration to say that this is far and away the best game for anyone who hasn't played an MMOG before to cut their teeth on. Even more than the familiar universe, the excellent interface and gameplay design Turbine have crafted turn this into an experience which those who have previously avoided the lure of MMOs will find tough to resist.
  3. There's a lot of quests in the game. A lot. In the first ten to fifteen levels alone, you're likely to do 50-100 quests, if not much more. While the game seems to have only a small number of areas available at launch, each area is quite large, and there's a fair amount to do in each area as you progress to level 50.