8.5

1. Sep 27, 2010
    Battle For Middle-Earth is a really fun and enjoyable game it is very well made and has years upon years of gameplay and has stunning graphics for such an old game. This games campaign will drag you inside MIddle-Earth and allow you to follow in the footsteps of the movies. If you are a Lord Of The Rings fan this is a must get, I have been playing it for some time now and I enjoy it muchBattle For Middle-Earth is a really fun and enjoyable game it is very well made and has years upon years of gameplay and has stunning graphics for such an old game. This games campaign will drag you inside MIddle-Earth and allow you to follow in the footsteps of the movies. If you are a Lord Of The Rings fan this is a must get, I have been playing it for some time now and I enjoy it much more then any other game like StarCraft2. It has a few problems because if you have a large monitor for whatever reason doesn't let you start up the game but that can be fixed my going to the EA website and finding the solution to that problem. The people of EA LA are a great game developer and hopefully they will keep up the great job. Expand
  2. Bill
    Jan 30, 2005
    This game does a nice job of packing all the memorable characters and locations from the movies into a RTS package. That said, the game is long, repetitive and lacks any strategic depth. It is great fun to stampede infantry with cavalry, but that is all you need to know to beat the game. And after 30 levels of playing equine bulldozer, you will be bored to tears. My advice: skip the This game does a nice job of packing all the memorable characters and locations from the movies into a RTS package. That said, the game is long, repetitive and lacks any strategic depth. It is great fun to stampede infantry with cavalry, but that is all you need to know to beat the game. And after 30 levels of playing equine bulldozer, you will be bored to tears. My advice: skip the optional levels - the required story-driven levels (Helm's Deep, Gondor, etc.) are the best part of the game anyway. And don't bother with the "evil" campaign - your successes don't alter the basic storyline and you miss many of the games better moments. Expand
  3. Framikaze
    Jun 4, 2006
    Good graphic.The possibility of using many kind of units it's wonderful but...the gamplay it's repetitive and so boring.
  4. Abraham
    Mar 1, 2005
    Probably the biggest waste of a great potential. And the multi-player is just awful. restricted location building. I wish they had just given us the C&C:Generals engine with LotR sweet graphics and flavor. a real bummer.
  5. JamesK.
    Dec 13, 2004
    No AI, no strategy. What else is new with Westwood-engine-based games. Plays like a brainless piece of crap, but then again that never stopped most other RTS successes before.
  6. RTSFAN
    Dec 26, 2004
    What a horrible game. The gameplay is long and boring, the ingame interface is terrrible with minimal functionality. The units are unintersting and lack any sort of stratigic depth. On top of the fact the game is riddled with all sorts of bugs. The only thing going for this game is that it's in the LOTR universe and the graphics are nice on a high-end machine. Conclusion: Unless you What a horrible game. The gameplay is long and boring, the ingame interface is terrrible with minimal functionality. The units are unintersting and lack any sort of stratigic depth. On top of the fact the game is riddled with all sorts of bugs. The only thing going for this game is that it's in the LOTR universe and the graphics are nice on a high-end machine. Conclusion: Unless you are a hard core LOTR fan, avoid this game like the plague. It is truly one of the worst RTS games on the market. EA should be ashamed of itself. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this stinker. Expand
  7. DoctorG.
    Jan 12, 2005
    A very very disappointing effort. This game was promoted by EA as being a huge strategic warfare game, and all the videos and "screenshots" they released seemed to support this. However almost those shots were from the cut scenes not the game itself. The gameplay is boring and repetitive with no real scope for strategic decisions. The graphics are good, 8/10 for them, but there's A very very disappointing effort. This game was promoted by EA as being a huge strategic warfare game, and all the videos and "screenshots" they released seemed to support this. However almost those shots were from the cut scenes not the game itself. The gameplay is boring and repetitive with no real scope for strategic decisions. The graphics are good, 8/10 for them, but there's more to producing a tie-in game than copying all the pretty CGI. Anyone who wants to play a proper, strategic RTS game should go and buy Rome: Total War. Luckily for me my local EB Games has a 7 day return policy. EA Games doesn't deserve a cent of my money for this piece of vacuous fluff. Expand
  8. MrK
    Jan 17, 2005
    Positive - Graphically very good. Negative - Everything else. CONCLUSION: Truly pathetic. Did anyone beta test this garbage?
  9. K.Diggle
    Jan 18, 2005
    Overall a poorly laid out game. For each good level like Moria, Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, there's about 5 other bland, flat areas with no substance or usefullness in the game. They contribute nothing to the story, or anything else for that matter. By the time I had my characters levelled up, I beat those generic missions in less than 5 minutes, just because it was the same Overall a poorly laid out game. For each good level like Moria, Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, there's about 5 other bland, flat areas with no substance or usefullness in the game. They contribute nothing to the story, or anything else for that matter. By the time I had my characters levelled up, I beat those generic missions in less than 5 minutes, just because it was the same drill again and again. I was a fan of the other EA Games LOTR games, but this one is just bad. The good levels are way too few and far between, and the rest is useless, repetitive blah. I can't really recommend this game at all. Collapse
  10. Josh
    Apr 3, 2005
    Anyone who says it is below 5 is just plain rubbish at it. It is an amazing game and it has been made to its full portential.
    Dec 20, 2004
    I love it! If you take you time to play it a little more, learn it (and have a good computer), you will see that it is a very good game! it really captures very well the lord of the rings feeling. A must play!
  12. ObiewonKabobie
    Dec 6, 2004
    I think this game is perfect in every single way.
  13. TerranceB.
    Jan 6, 2005
    Maybe not the deepest RTS ever, but it's a beauty of a game. A lot of fun without all the tedium of a traditional RTS.
  14. Chris
    Feb 6, 2005
    The game features great graphics and is ok game play, some great maps, but others are just ok... by the way, AB, EA has no choice in following the book or not, they only own the rights to follow the movie, another company owns the rights to follow the books.
  15. LeeA.
    May 24, 2005
    Solid game that makes good use of the license and concentrates on the action elements rather than base building. It would be a perfect entry to strategy gaming but offers enough to keep hardcore strategy gamers who are fans of the film interested especially in the film levels (Minas Tirith, Helms Deep etc). The levels offer different challenges and it can be challenge to keep all your Solid game that makes good use of the license and concentrates on the action elements rather than base building. It would be a perfect entry to strategy gaming but offers enough to keep hardcore strategy gamers who are fans of the film interested especially in the film levels (Minas Tirith, Helms Deep etc). The levels offer different challenges and it can be challenge to keep all your heros alive. The game gets easier as your heros level up but if you dont cheat and restart a level if a hero is killed then it would add to the difficulty level. Will require a top spec machine with a good DVD drive. Expand
  16. Johan
    Sep 1, 2005
    Great game, very, very, addictive. Super sounds, fantastic graphics and good AI. Altough the engine could be better; When fighting big battles the engine slows down a bit, even on high-end PC's. Overall: BUY IT!!! When you love RTS.
  17. Zac
    Dec 20, 2004
    An absolute ripper of a game! Don't think about buying it, just buy it!
  18. BobL.
    Dec 7, 2004
    This game looked good in the previews but the real final product falls short. The game play is really simplistic and has no depth. The single player game is more of an RPG but not that much fun. I wish it was a better game.
  19. Sikochilly
    Dec 7, 2004
    "bizarre mechanics, Fisher Price strategy and a strange disregard for Tolkien's story... It doesn't love the source material as much as you or I. " This pretty much sum it up, But I was a Tolkien fan all the way, and no way this could stop me from buying this game. Still a disappointed fan, but like most games now day borrowing Worlds from Novel and try to re-create them, why "bizarre mechanics, Fisher Price strategy and a strange disregard for Tolkien's story... It doesn't love the source material as much as you or I. " This pretty much sum it up, But I was a Tolkien fan all the way, and no way this could stop me from buying this game. Still a disappointed fan, but like most games now day borrowing Worlds from Novel and try to re-create them, why can't something like Tolkien Official game be released like Star Wars, and the story will be more related to what the original story. Expand
  20. AndyG.
    Nov 1, 2005
    Best pc game ever!
  21. AB
    Jan 14, 2005
    This game was a pleasant surprise for me, considering the disappointment that "The Third Age" brought. However, this game shares some of the same faults with "The Third Age." One of these is the story. EA didn't put much effort into coinciding with the book. Plus, the game isn't very strategic at all. But the game is still fun, and that's (almost) all that matters.
  22. Carl
    Feb 23, 2006
    sipley the best game ever great grapics and sounds this game is the best game in the world!
  23. DillonN.
    Jun 13, 2006
    This game is awesome. You know exactly what to do and hot to do it. It gives you a really good tutoriul that doesnt just tell you how to play it, but it also sums all the movies up so you know what you are fighting for. The game is awesome!
  24. ChrisL.
    Jul 27, 2007
    This game was awesome. It's worth it. Much better than its sequels. It's a familiar world that you can furthermore explore (If you watched the movies).
  25. PabloEscobarL.
    Dec 27, 2004
    This game is way different from everything I played before so I am not use to it yet. But I must say that it means my expectations. The graphics and sound are great if you have a bad ass computer like mine. There is a lot to improve in this game, but overall is pretty good to play against each other online. PS. World of Warcraft is way better game.
  26. CharlesH.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This game offers a unique balance of figuritive characters and an epic RPS, truly remarkable.
  27. SereneT.
    Dec 8, 2004
    Great polish game! Definitely a must buy for RTS fans!
  28. Sam
    Nov 7, 2005
    Excellent game.
  29. Kurt
    Oct 25, 2005
    The game does have some minor flaws, but the multiplayer aspect is outstanding. Get a friend or two to play along with you and it will be an instant classic.
  30. JasonH.
    Nov 25, 2004
    A masterpiece. Buy it.
  31. AndyS.
    Dec 11, 2004
    This game is cool the best player you can be on this is the gondor people because you can have a well fortified base.
  32. Jul 22, 2011
    The game was a rare gem and one of my first and fondest competitive gaming experiences. The gameplay was unique and focused on battles and strategy first and foremost. It was easy to pick up and fun to play, and I don't think there has been any RTS games that have scratched this same itch since its death, not even its sequels did it justice. Now we can only hope for a BFME 3 with similarThe game was a rare gem and one of my first and fondest competitive gaming experiences. The gameplay was unique and focused on battles and strategy first and foremost. It was easy to pick up and fun to play, and I don't think there has been any RTS games that have scratched this same itch since its death, not even its sequels did it justice. Now we can only hope for a BFME 3 with similar gameplay to BFME 1 but with much needed UI and community interface improvements. Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. Playing the multiplayer is fun (even if the AI is stupid), and the Campaigns (Both good and evil) are fun. The only issues I saw were the lack of AI intelligence and that the game didn't go directly with the lore behind it...
  34. Aug 7, 2012
    I probably liked this game much more than I should have due to it being LOTR-themed. I found it fun and somewhat innovative, but also at times frustrating. Like all unit-cap control-the-nodes games, you'll spend a significant portion of your time on most levels scrambling to defend multiple spots at once while the AI uses its superior numbers and defenses to give you hell. With that said,I probably liked this game much more than I should have due to it being LOTR-themed. I found it fun and somewhat innovative, but also at times frustrating. Like all unit-cap control-the-nodes games, you'll spend a significant portion of your time on most levels scrambling to defend multiple spots at once while the AI uses its superior numbers and defenses to give you hell. With that said, it is fun to control some of the memorable battles from the movies and to even explore some of the regions hardly seen in the movies or books. Expand
  35. Mar 8, 2013
    I'd say that this is one of the best strategy game out there. It turns the beloved Lord of the Rings series into one video game featuring all of our favorite characters and battles, such as Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, and Amon Hen. The alternate evil campaign is also very interesting. It features a brand new evil sequence set to represent the evil taking over Middle-Earth. Both campaignsI'd say that this is one of the best strategy game out there. It turns the beloved Lord of the Rings series into one video game featuring all of our favorite characters and battles, such as Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, and Amon Hen. The alternate evil campaign is also very interesting. It features a brand new evil sequence set to represent the evil taking over Middle-Earth. Both campaigns are incredibly challenging and are lengthy, which makes this a great game. Skirmish mode is a fun as well. Overall, an incredible strategy game with awesome gameplay and heated battles. Expand
  36. Nov 10, 2013
    Good game, good graphics, fun but simple gameplay. It's just that it's not deep enough to be a competitive online RTS. Still worth it for the campaign if you're a Lord of the Rings fan.
  37. Feb 15, 2015
    Любимая серия стретегий по прекрасной трилогии Питера Джексона..................................

The plain gameplay, awkward balance, and poor optimization are flaws to be sure, but they are offset by stellar graphics, sound effects, and voice acting (all of which make for a very immersive atmosphere).
  2. So how do the graphics look? Well I must say I was wholly unimpressed.
    The focus on combat is great, I just wish the combat had been as sterling as I had imagined it would be. The small number of units just doesn't provide the depth that I was hoping for.