7.1

1. Apr 17, 2016
    Far from fantastic, sadly. But it does provide a few hours of entertainment between each session you play. The world is beautiful along with the animations, although not much exploration options and sort of shorter than expected. Could probably prove a good challenge on harder difficult level with friends. All-in-all, it's a pretty decent, albeit linear hack-and-slash.
  2. Oct 1, 2015
    Throwing rings into volcanoes is one thing, preventing nasty hordes of monsters from intervening with such activities is another. Intro music for our band of stalwart heroes, a human ranger, a dwarf fighter and an elven wizard(the only woman of course), who set out from the Prancing Pony at Bree, a place cursed with being drenched in perpetual rainy nights, after receiving instructionsThrowing rings into volcanoes is one thing, preventing nasty hordes of monsters from intervening with such activities is another. Intro music for our band of stalwart heroes, a human ranger, a dwarf fighter and an elven wizard(the only woman of course), who set out from the Prancing Pony at Bree, a place cursed with being drenched in perpetual rainy nights, after receiving instructions from non other than stapper, which is the Dutch translation for the nickname for Aragorn, who in this game looks remarkably like an actor called Viggo Mortensen.

The going is pretty unidirectional from the start. Stop the main bad guy Agandaûr from intervening with the rest of the world by killing him dead until he is. Easy enough. In between Bree and Agandaûr's grave you meet some critters that are in the way, but that is how this game should be. They consists of nasty orcs and goblins, undead, biggers orcs, very big trolls, a huge giant even, humans in all shapes and sizes, spiders small, large and very large and that is about it really.
    At various moments you get helped by token people you can do well without. At least they don't die on you most of the time, which saves you from that headache. The coolest thing around is however the giant eagle friend your team gains, which gives a nice air asset that you can throw against some of the bigger nasties, provided they are in the open and you didn't waste your limited supply of airstrikes on something smaller.

Somewhere in between you make a stopover at Rivendell where you are briefed by someone who looks remarkably like the actor Hugo Weaving. Incidently Hugo doesn't even hush up the fact that Frodo has a powerful ring that needs to be destroyed. So far for secrecy.
    You get to speak to other actors too, like Orlando Bloom, Ian Holm, John Rhys-Davies, Elijah Wood and Liv Tyler and yes by now you know the game takes its cues from the Peter Jackson movies. It isn't bad but it isn't very original either.

And that might be the overall theme of this game. It isn't really bad, but it isn't really good either.. It is okayies. A word I just invented for this purpose. For instance; to lengthen your game experience they threw in a truckload of containers for you to plunder. You have to loot them all cause that is the only way to get neat new gear and what you find is pretty random. So there you are, hero of the war of the north, defeater of many a container...for you destroy or open more caskets, caches, barrels and other containers than you ever want too, because you will not only need to find loot for your own character, but also for your ai buddies, who might have no use at all for that stuff as far as can be told, but maybe they do or at least you can sell the stuff so you buy better stuff for you own, but most of all because this game is meant to be a co-op and can't quite figure out that you play it as a single player or as a co-op.

Your ai buddies require some hand-holding for them not to be killed and if you are the elven maiden wizard it is doubly up to you to make sure that your ai buddies don't get killed, for the wizard biggest task is preventing the other two from turning into pin cushions.

The overwhelming sensation you get when proceeding through this game is: if they just had.. If they just had added some more variety. If they just had added some more ways to do the quests.. If they just had added some more options in character development. If they just had added some interesting side quests. If they had just added some meaning full conversations.

The biggest surprise is at the end when you discover that after all is said and done and the dead are buried and the living celebrate, you still are only halfway developed. And why? Cause you can then redo the whole game again on a higher difficulty level and gain more levels. Oh wow..

War in the North is amusing enough to do once, but it totally lacks the charm to play once more, even as a different character. It is after all only okayies.
  3. Oct 28, 2014
    For LOTR fans, a 7/10 score for a solid, enjoyable game. Hacking at Orcs, single or with friends, will never lose its appeal. The story is nice, simple. Its also nice moving around the world. And the game being rather short is fine with me, as its fairly light anyways. For everyone else, its probably a 5/10 score. As stated, the story is light and none too involving. The graphics are cleanFor LOTR fans, a 7/10 score for a solid, enjoyable game. Hacking at Orcs, single or with friends, will never lose its appeal. The story is nice, simple. Its also nice moving around the world. And the game being rather short is fine with me, as its fairly light anyways. For everyone else, its probably a 5/10 score. As stated, the story is light and none too involving. The graphics are clean but lack any real imagination, which is probably its biggest downfall. I barely remember the nondescript music. The levels are extremely linear, offering no discovery. It lacks any deep RPG elements, I auto-levelled-up without even needing to think about which traits are better. And there's no real replay value. Overall though, there's enough enjoyment to be had here from a bit of orc hack-and-slash for a few hours, diverting easy fun. Don't expect anything deep or involving. Expand
  4. Jan 6, 2014
    Could be better. Controlling is very simple however every battle is different, my fav game to play with a partner so far, a lot of fun in 2 players mode. The soundtrack and sound effects are somewhat annoying and too repetitive. There are no alternative paths, so it's all the same no matter which character you choose. The AI of your computer companions is very poor, still the game isCould be better. Controlling is very simple however every battle is different, my fav game to play with a partner so far, a lot of fun in 2 players mode. The soundtrack and sound effects are somewhat annoying and too repetitive. There are no alternative paths, so it's all the same no matter which character you choose. The AI of your computer companions is very poor, still the game is pretty easy and not demanding. Expand
  5. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is a real treat for us Lord of the Rings fans, and if you are a LOTRO player, or one that recently quit LOTRO in a blind rage, this is a very satisfying helping of Tolkien. The storyline is original but very true to the established lore. The graphics are superb- I'm playing on a 660Ti and they are fluid, detailed, and gorgeous. The combat system is simple but very fun and IThis game is a real treat for us Lord of the Rings fans, and if you are a LOTRO player, or one that recently quit LOTRO in a blind rage, this is a very satisfying helping of Tolkien. The storyline is original but very true to the established lore. The graphics are superb- I'm playing on a 660Ti and they are fluid, detailed, and gorgeous. The combat system is simple but very fun and I found the combat animations excellent.
    On the negative side- give us more! It's too linear and feels too much like a console hack n slash. If players had more flexibility with character creation and if it were a larger, open world this would have been a much better game. I'm imagining this game with the scale and depth of Skyrim-now THAT would have been a game to talk about.
    I'm playing mostly multi-player with a partner which is very fun, but kind of poorly integrated with some buggy moments mostly related to simply getting two (or three) people into the same game at the same place.
    In summary, this is a very fun game- but not an "alpha" game. I blame that on the industry's ill-conceived focus on console gaming and disposable games.
  6. DQT
    Nov 12, 2013
    Pros:
    + Violent and gory, flying limbs are always good!
    + Executions and curbstomping + A combo system + Varied enemies + Great fun for co-op play! + Overall story is interesting enough + Longevity: took me 14 hours to beat, longer than most games these days + It's Lord of the Rings! Cons: - Dated graphics - Poorly optimized PC port - Uninspired voice acting - Cardboard
    Pros:
    + Violent and gory, flying limbs are always good!
    + Executions and curbstomping
    + A combo system
    + Varied enemies
    + Great fun for co-op play!
    + Overall story is interesting enough
    + Longevity: took me 14 hours to beat, longer than most games these days
    + It's Lord of the Rings!

Cons:
    - Dated graphics
    - Poorly optimized PC port
    - Uninspired voice acting
    - Cardboard characters with little personality
    - Generally poor plot progression and writing
    - Mediocre soundtrack and sound effects; sound design in general is poor

Pro/Cons:
    +/- Bare Bones RPG system, though it is appreciated and adds much needed depth and progression
    +/- Fast paced, yet repetitive combat that is only satisfying during executions and some abilities
    +/- Online mode yet seems to be plagued with connection issues, the developer's effort is still appreciated
    +/- The difficulty is challenging, but at times frustrating. Your AI partners will often neglect coming to your aid, costing you your life. This doesn't become an issue until the latter half, with the majority of the game's first half being quite easy.

Summary: A standard hack n' slash that is very contrived yet manages to be entertaining. Nothing about this game is unique, organic or original, it is very much a cookie cutter action rpg and not a very good one at that.

Who should buy this game:
    *Hardcore Tolkien/Lord of the Rings fans
    *Those seeking a cooperative console game to play with friends
    *If it's on a bargain of 10$ or less, it's a steal, especially if you meet one of the two above criterias

Who shouldn't buy this game:
    *PC gamers looking for a cooperative experience: online mode is buggy and local play is not available
    *Those looking to buy at full price, it's not worth it
    *Anyone who wants to play an above average action rpg

6.5
    7.5 if playing co-op and 8 if playing co-op whilst drunk
  7. Nov 11, 2013
    I am a fan of the LOTR universe, so I liked this game even without playing it. When I actually aquired this game, I was a little disappointed. It seems to me as the developers haven't finished the game development yet. The graphics are a little outdate for the period this was released and it is like the developers were in a real hurry with this game, which really upsets me a lot. TheI am a fan of the LOTR universe, so I liked this game even without playing it. When I actually aquired this game, I was a little disappointed. It seems to me as the developers haven't finished the game development yet. The graphics are a little outdate for the period this was released and it is like the developers were in a real hurry with this game, which really upsets me a lot. The overall in-game menus, graphics, settings are just not that great. If you look past that, you will notice a really nice RPG. Expand
  8. Nov 5, 2013
    Snowblind Studios returns to the gaming community with what is essentially a fanfiction to the land of Middle-Earth. Everything is pretty well tied to the lore, beyond the game-y elements however. The story is typical "Save the world" as your heroes gain strength to stop the titular "War in the North". Dialogue is pretty well crafted and there are side quests to do that will give you extraSnowblind Studios returns to the gaming community with what is essentially a fanfiction to the land of Middle-Earth. Everything is pretty well tied to the lore, beyond the game-y elements however. The story is typical "Save the world" as your heroes gain strength to stop the titular "War in the North". Dialogue is pretty well crafted and there are side quests to do that will give you extra experience and money to spend. The combat is usually fast and frantic, with you and your allies able to lay out the pain but still able to lose if you don't keep your head. However, some enemies are just health sinks, taking minutes worth of combo's to down even with your most powerful techniques. They are thankfully few of these moments for the most part. The trolls however are the biggest perpetrators of this crime.

The game has co-op and single play, with up to three selectable characters. The hardy Dwarf Warrior that can act as the parties tank or melee monster, a Dunedain Ranger that mostly is the ranged support but can also mix it up in melee just fine with the right skills and the Elven Loremaster who acts as the support caster and healer, with a few "nuke" like spells to help deal with crowds. However the game has a very odd way of handling character switching; everyone shares an inventory pool but do NOT give any items to your CPU allies, as it'll be lost forever. To that note, your CPU allies equip their own gear and it's separate for ever variation. If you play the Dwarf through, your Ranger and Loremaster will have their own gear. Switch over to the Ranger, and your Dwarf and Loremaster will have different gear depending on what they've found and the same if you play as the Loremaster.

As for difficulty, it's fairly standard progressing onward to the final boss, but there are some parts that are downright impossible without human companions(a defense mission on the hardest difficulty comes to mind) but beyond that it's a fairly by the numbers hack and slash action RPG.

In ending, if you have any love for the land of Middle-Earth and want to wander some of the more known environments of it in the shoes of the brave and bold warriors of the land, give this a shot.
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    It is strong middle game. If You are a fan of LotR You should add one point to the final score. Plot is really nice and I had fun when i had met some characters from books and films. Game is good, but it could be much better. It is quite long surprising plus. Gameplay is eatable. Sometimes minor mistakes can make You angry. Invisible walls are also annoying. Playing online with friends isIt is strong middle game. If You are a fan of LotR You should add one point to the final score. Plot is really nice and I had fun when i had met some characters from books and films. Game is good, but it could be much better. It is quite long surprising plus. Gameplay is eatable. Sometimes minor mistakes can make You angry. Invisible walls are also annoying. Playing online with friends is much better. Final conclusion I love rpg, love LotR and like hack and slash so..i had fun with this game. Expand
  10. Aug 30, 2013
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is great for RPG'ers that love getting into the nitty-gritty when it comes to learning about other characters and lore of the game. Accurate and interesting LOTR lore is what kept me wanting to play. Any Tolkien fan will be happy with this. That being said, the story is very linear, and the same should be said about the levels. Equipment management is pretty lacking, with aThis game is great for RPG'ers that love getting into the nitty-gritty when it comes to learning about other characters and lore of the game. Accurate and interesting LOTR lore is what kept me wanting to play. Any Tolkien fan will be happy with this. That being said, the story is very linear, and the same should be said about the levels. Equipment management is pretty lacking, with a rather unfriendly equipment interface.The game play is a classic hack&slash with little variation. The three playable characters have different play styles which can accommodate most players; But it's still just a hack&slash. I actually found some of the voice acting pretty lame at times, but it was average on the whole, I suppose. I had no issues with bugs like some of the other guys. I payed $20 for the game, and I feel like I got what I payed for out of it, but no more. A solid 7.5. This game will please LOTR fans, but unfortunately it will not make any new LOTR fans. It's too mediocre. Expand
  12. Jun 3, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by War in the North, as I enjoyed this game quite a bit. The graphics and effects are well done, so is the voice acting and other sounds. There is gore and blood as well, which is cool. The RPG elements aren't very deep, so it won't be confusing at all. That is something I like, there are only 4 different attributes to put points into, and there are very simpleI was pleasantly surprised by War in the North, as I enjoyed this game quite a bit. The graphics and effects are well done, so is the voice acting and other sounds. There is gore and blood as well, which is cool. The RPG elements aren't very deep, so it won't be confusing at all. That is something I like, there are only 4 different attributes to put points into, and there are very simple skill trees that are easy to understand. The skills are varied enough to feel original and the 3 different characters all have their special abilities that are useful. It is a hack and slash, so you'll be spamming mouse1 more often than you'll be thinking tactically about the situation. Overall, though, I enjoyed it for my first couple playthroughs as the new game plus-esque mode kept me entertained. It did start to get a bit boring though as the story is a bit short and the combat is a little repetitive. If you are a fan of the LotR universe you'll most likely end up enjoying this game, too. Expand
  13. Jan 10, 2013
    game is okay but the multiplayer is **** on PC. thats the main reason why a lot of people buy it and it doesn't even work. the game itself is standard hack and slash fare, with some modern twists such as a dialogue wheel and whatnot.
  14. Jan 8, 2013
    LotR has been host to a myriad of bad games recently, while War in the North is an example of a LotR game done right, but in it's alpha version. It is a co-op action RPG. That said, it should be obvious that as far as RPG elements go, it has limited skill trees where skill points basically distribute themselves, conversations rarely lead to anything past the linear story's progression.LotR has been host to a myriad of bad games recently, while War in the North is an example of a LotR game done right, but in it's alpha version. It is a co-op action RPG. That said, it should be obvious that as far as RPG elements go, it has limited skill trees where skill points basically distribute themselves, conversations rarely lead to anything past the linear story's progression. Characters, once again, pre-made in a game with minimal character development with very little customization options. Story, while riddled with cliches and not worthy of a LotR game, will not bother you as you will probably largely ignore it. Gameplay comes down to a handful of powers that each character has, which get underused due to ridiculously slow mana regeneration and button mashing. All there is in the game is left clicking for light attack, as well as a heavy attack that is only used for executions on weakened enemies, since it's twice slower and does twice the damage of a light attack, but requiring better timing and thus being useless. Graphics are decent, but with bland and forgettable environments.Voiceovers are done well, with several familiar voice actors. The game is very unstable, I have not been able to have it running for more than an hour without it crashing. Ultimately, your experience will rely on: whether you like LotR, with whom you are playing and how much you are playing. I am a big LotR fan, played alone for about an hour a day and would've probably finished it, had I not been stopped by crashes and bugs at Carn Dum. Expand
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    The best thing that I can say about this game is that it isn't terrible. It's mostly a tedious hack 'n slash with just enough RPG elements to drag down the action, but not to actually make it interesting. As with many obvious console ports, the controls are awkward and the menus are difficult. The graphics are decent but are not enough to distract you from the bad voice acting andThe best thing that I can say about this game is that it isn't terrible. It's mostly a tedious hack 'n slash with just enough RPG elements to drag down the action, but not to actually make it interesting. As with many obvious console ports, the controls are awkward and the menus are difficult. The graphics are decent but are not enough to distract you from the bad voice acting and poorly-scripted, dull story. I made myself suffer through several hours of this game, hoping that it would get better, but it didn't really. If you're a big LOTR fan then maybe you'll find this tolerable, but otherwise I'd recommend avoiding it. Expand
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    An average game to say the least. I think I speak for the majority when I say we were expecting an open world RPG that would allow us to explore the unexplored areas of Middle-Earth. What we got instead a decent game with pretty graphics but simple and boring plot lines and characters accompanied by a button mashing combat system and average character development. The game is OK, but itAn average game to say the least. I think I speak for the majority when I say we were expecting an open world RPG that would allow us to explore the unexplored areas of Middle-Earth. What we got instead a decent game with pretty graphics but simple and boring plot lines and characters accompanied by a button mashing combat system and average character development. The game is OK, but it had the potential to be a whole lot better Expand
  17. Feb 5, 2012
    This is a pretty average RPG game, good graphics and good storyline, like the unwanted child of Diablo and Mass effect 2, but less exciting. It has some negative points though, like very limited character customization and when playing co-op, quests of a less advanced player are passed on to the more advanced player which makes for a do-over of quests in the advanced player's profile, evenThis is a pretty average RPG game, good graphics and good storyline, like the unwanted child of Diablo and Mass effect 2, but less exciting. It has some negative points though, like very limited character customization and when playing co-op, quests of a less advanced player are passed on to the more advanced player which makes for a do-over of quests in the advanced player's profile, even when you've already done them. The positive side of this game is that its addictive, if you are a LOTR fan, then you're gonna love this game, otherwise, you wont like it. Expand
  18. Jan 5, 2012
    Get this game if you are planing on playing it with some casual gamers. do not get it if you are planning to play it with self defined 'hardcore gamers.' its not complicated, it looks terrible, combat is simple but entertaining.
  19. Dec 30, 2011
    War in the North is a great experience but a repetitive one as well, so head straight to the review.
    Evaluation Method > Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.
    Evaluation Method > Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: Now while the graphics are very outdated they are enough to deliver a very immersive experience. The textures a bit blurred and badly polished but the overall art style makes up for it, the presentation is just fantastic, recreating the world of Tolkien with a near perfect fidelity. Graphics Grade: 7/10
    Gameplay: Very repetitive, the game is not as violent as many expected, it just contains a bit of blood but nothing really spartacus-like. The problem is that the game will focus a lot on the xp your character has in order to defeat the enemies and the the player's skill. Gameplay Grade: 5/10
    Story: The Story is very well crafted because it goes parallel to the film's events and there are some mentions of those events but aren't really the focus. A good plot but not very strong overall. Story Grade: 7/10
    Soundtrack & Effects: The effects are well done but not as good as they could be. The Soundtrack is great and well placed, nothing revolutionary but very good nonetheless. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 8/10

LOTR: War in the North Final Grade: 6.75 which means 7/10.
  20. Dec 27, 2011
    It's deffo not as bad as people say, just pretty average slasher/action RPG mix with outdated graphics. Simple story, simple combat, simple skill tree, everything in this game seems to be minimalistic and just copied over and over again. Yet it might still be enjoyable in coop for some lotr game thirsty fans who just got overexcited with the trailer of The Hobbit. Still better than SpaceIt's deffo not as bad as people say, just pretty average slasher/action RPG mix with outdated graphics. Simple story, simple combat, simple skill tree, everything in this game seems to be minimalistic and just copied over and over again. Yet it might still be enjoyable in coop for some lotr game thirsty fans who just got overexcited with the trailer of The Hobbit. Still better than Space Marine for me. Expand
  21. Dec 9, 2011
    I have been playing this game for longer than I played Skyrim so there's a shocker for you.

Whats good? The voice acting The storyline is cool. The characters are lovely and I enjoyed meeting and chatting to them all. The locations, graphics. The battles, I like the simple skills and the easy key mapping. I can manage my weapons well. I love the armours. I love the mirror you can

Whats good?
    The voice acting
    The storyline is cool.
    The characters are lovely and I enjoyed meeting and chatting to them all.
    The locations, graphics.
    I love the armours.
    I love the mirror you can change your hairstyle and face features etc whenver you like.
    Simple potion making and upgrading armours is nice.

The Not so good
    The check point system, no way to load a previous save, ridiculous.
    The normal setting was way too hard for me, I was only ever able to play at easy level.
    Would prefer more inventory for potions and stones etc.

It is a very linear game that closely follows the story, there are a few incidental side quests but for sure you will be caught up with the story, at least I was. I played all the other LOTR games and this is a great effort. Not up to Biowares standards but still a nice way to spend some time.
    But dont buy this game unless you can deal with the restrictions I mentioned and you dont mind a very linear game.

The world itself is very pretty and pleasing. :)
  22. Nov 26, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game. But the gameplay is just too similar to previous LOTR action adventure kinda games. I was really hoping for a truly epic story driven RPG set in the LOTR world, but this just doesn't meet it's potential, nowhere near. The gameplay is rather boring. The story is okay, but nothing of LOTR caliber. If you liked previous LOTR action adventure titles,I was really looking forward to this game. But the gameplay is just too similar to previous LOTR action adventure kinda games. I was really hoping for a truly epic story driven RPG set in the LOTR world, but this just doesn't meet it's potential, nowhere near. The gameplay is rather boring. The story is okay, but nothing of LOTR caliber. If you liked previous LOTR action adventure titles, you'll probably enjoy this game. If you weren't a big fan of what's already been done, there really isn't much more on offer here. Expand

War in the North is a hack and slash with some RPG elements and co-op, all assembled around one of the most beloved media licenses today, but with all this going for it, it simply doesn't manage to stand out. Sadly, it's just another product that tries to blend some popular elements, but with no true support or personal identity.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    Attractive world of Tolkien's imagination brings "forgotten" adventure of three heroes aside from the main story – the true magic of the game is hidden in the 3-people cooperative play. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Games Master UK
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not without issues, but as The Lord of the Rings games go this is much better than most. [Feb 2012, p.84]