9.4

1. Feb 21, 2014
    Includes HL2 series one of the most renown series of games I didn't really like, but a must have due to the decent catalogue of free fan based mods available. As for Portal and TF2 not really my kind of thing.
  2. Jul 7, 2011
    The Orange box could possibly be the best valued retail game of its generation. The single player Half Life games are almost legendary in acclaim, the Multiplayer Team Fortress 2 has become one of the great shooters with a fantastic art style and has since evolved and improved, and the puzzle/shooter Portal was the surprising gem, the icing on a perfect cake. If only the rest of the industry had the vision and design skills of Valve we wouldnt be trudging through the immaturity that bogs the gaming industry down so much. Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2012
    No complaints here. 5 great games in one package at a price of one retail game. Half-life 2 and two of its episodes are triple A class shooters with compelling stories and great writing, Team Fortress 2 is probably the best online FPS game I have ever played and Portal is a unique puzzle platformer that is incomparable with any puzzle game and is also one of the funniest games I have ever played. No complaints at all. Expand
  4. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Games today are ridiculously overpriced, at most new shooters begin around $50. The Orange Box is a combination of three awesome shooters, an iconic puzzler, and one of the best multiplayer games you'll ever find. Think about that. Five games, four of which I believe have 'Universal Acclaim' on this website, for the price of one. Half Life 2 and it's episodes: some of the most fun shooters ever made. Portal: the game that revolutionized puzzlers. TF2: multiplayer at it's best. Valve took a bit of a gamble when this was released, and in doing so created one of the best deals out there. Expand
  5. Aug 6, 2012
    As someone who hadn't already played Half Life 2, this bundle way already a really good bargain, but the addition of Portal--which was simply brilliant--and Team Fortress 2 makes it officially the best gaming value I've ever seen. Do yourself a favor and drop a few bucks for this pack: you won't be disappointed.
  6. Mar 24, 2012
    Let me make it clear that I'm no longer what you could call an impressionable gamer; I don't buy into the hype, I only buys games if I think I will genuinely enjoy them, or for artful reasons. Anyway, The Orange Box, and I know won't sound surprising, is probably the best bundle of games I've ever played. The Half Life games are often cited as a benchmark for game design, and it shows. Portal on the other hand is quite short: not that I'm implying that it's bad, in terms of design it's probably the best game ever made, easily negating its short length. Some might know that I've stopped playing BF3 and MW3; I just wasn't having any fun whatsoever. Team Fortress 2 is no doubt the most fun I've ever had playing online. Even when I'm at the bottom of the leaderboard (which is all the time), I'm still having fun with the cartoony art style and addictive gameplay. I guess what I like about it is that it has a sense of humour most modern "realistic" shooters seem to ignore in favour of gun torches or incessant profanity. All you need to know is this: whether you're a single-player (like me) or into multi-player, The Orange Box is possibly the best buy you'll ever make. And for £10? I feel like I'm stealing from valve Expand
  7. Jan 23, 2012
    If someone haven't played those games so far it's the BEST DEAL out there! I would say that it's a kind of a starter pack for regular+ gamers :) For me Portal was the biggest innovation there but it wasn't until the second part that it really spread its wings.
  8. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 9 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 10 out of 10, Re-play: 7 out of 10, Value: 10 out of 10
  9. Sep 21, 2010
    If you have a PC, you should own this. Seriously, this is the best PC game package ever. One of the best first person shooter games of all time (Half-Life 2) and its first two add-on episodes, the hilarious and challenging Portal, and one of the best PC multiplayer games (Team Fortress 2). Chances are, you already own this. If not, what is wrong with you.
  10. Apr 21, 2013
    What is there to complain about? You have three stellar games for the price of one. Half life 2, a game that's considered to be one of the best first person shooters. Portal, considered to be one of the best puzzle games around, and finally Team Fortress 2, a highly competitive multiplayer shooter with great emphasis on teamwork that is loads of fun. Get this package now if you haven't already, probably the best value for your money and the one of the best gaming experiences you'll have. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2011
    This was and still is a must buy, I believe it is even cheaper now so if you don't have it ADD IT TO YOU COLLECTION NOW. Half-Life set the standard in First Person Shooters many years ago, And you are going to seriously lost if you buy the next Installment which is going to be awesome not to mention hard to find on the shelf's during its release.
  12. Nov 1, 2011
    Valve and the Orange Box forever! Best Game package ever! Many thanks to you Valve. HL2 = A1, Portal = A1, and Team Fortress 2 = A1 to sum it up The Orange box is A1 FUN
  13. Jun 13, 2011
    The Orange Box is a great package that makes you want to play its games over and over again. In my opinion, it is one of the greatest PC gaming experiences there is. There are very few games that I personally enjoy to play all around the year and I've been playing it for two years non-stop now.
  14. Sep 6, 2011
    Three of the best FPS games released(With two expansions to Half-Life 2), wrapped up in an affordable bundle. Half-Life 2 is not innovative, but the story is understandable(Yet also deep), the graphics are amazing, and the gameplay needs more than two brain cells. The two expansions satisfy the fans of HL2 who wanted more, although the Episode 1 is far too short. Team Fortress 2 is one of the best multiplayer FPSs out there, which is based on who can use their weapons better, not who can hit the other guy's head first. I currently have over 440 ours into it, and I am willing to spend $75 on some virtual pixels. Portal is a short singleplayer FPP(First Person Puzzle) you will never forget. The humor is genuine, the momentum is deeply satifying, you need to think, and the ending song wraps it all up nicely. Overall, I can't reccomend it enough. Expand
  15. Jan 22, 2012
    The best game compilation ever. Includes Half-Life 2: Episode Two, the sequel of one of the best games in history, with great plot, graphics, gameplay, etc., Portal, a almost indie experiment from Valve resulting in a beautiful and simple game, and Team Fortress 2, a great cartoon FPS with 9 classes, lot of weapons, hats, and fun. Also includes HL2 and the first episode if you haven't played HL2 yet. With 5 excellent games, you will think that the pack will cost around $60 or something like that. NOPE.AVI, the price is $20. Twenty dollars for five excellent games from Valve. If you hadn't bought this pack yet, you sir, you are not a PC gamer. Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2011
    I have one word and just one word for this game package: Awesome!!! It is a heaven for the Half-life and for the First-person shooter fans, and a very interesting Portal that await the gamer in this package. All of the spectacular games with just 20 EUR or 30 $, what are you waiting for to not have it in your collection? Oh you must be anti-gamer to not have it, :). If you are a serious gamer and you are complaining about your computer doesn't have enough space for this. UPGRADE OR BUY A NEW ONE IMMEDIATELY, or you are missing a legend in game history! Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2011
    Half Life 2, Episode One, Episode 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2. Certainly a fantastic offer, Every Game that comes with it is fantastic. The Orange Box is a fantastic collection of Games that everybody should try out
  18. Dec 4, 2010
    Simply the best buy ever..................................................................................................................................................
  19. May 14, 2012
    My last but not least boxed PC game purchase. Thank you Valve for creating such an amazing collection and the digital era opened by Steam. This is a must have collection for any Valve/FPS fan.
  20. BMF
    Apr 7, 2011
    The best gaming combo pack money can buy and for only 20 bucks. PierreB appears to be a little retarded so ignore his review and pick up this pack you wont regret it.
  21. Sep 29, 2010
    Probably the single greatest game value of all time - three games in one and all of them are great!!! If you have not indulged yourself in this experience you are really missing a true gem - better hurray before HL3 (or episode 3) come out.
  22. Sep 30, 2010
    Half-life 2+Episodes, Portal and Team Fortress 2 in one package? Awesome. These games deserve all the praise they got and as a package they are great value, Great job Valve.
  23. May 6, 2013
    This bundle includes 3 of the greatest games of all time.
    Half-Life 2 changed the face of gaming and is still a highly emersive, beutiful and fun experiance.
    Team Fortress 2 though free now, still remains the most balanced, creative, diverse and fun multiplayer FPS.
    Portal's mesh of FPS and Puzzle and flawless voice acting and story has wet to be replicated with such perfection.
    The
    Orange Box along with Steam made me switch off Consoles to PC gaming and I've never looked back. Better graphics and more games at a MUCH cheaper price; Better controls (mouse+keyboard) and customization; Endless amounts of Mods; Slightly more mature communities. You can't beat it! Expand
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    How about the 5 best valve games and almost of the world.
    The Orange Box brings us 5 tons of fun with Half Life 2 , ep1 , ep2 , Portal and TF2 making this one of the best deals for a computer owner. Buy it and don't think to much about it.
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    This is a must-have package for PC gamers. The complete Half.Life 2 experience is great even though the episodes are quite short, Team Fortress 2 is the best of its kind and Portal is...Portal. You will surely get your money's worth on this bundle, not to mention the huge amount of great mods you can get by having HL2.
  26. Oct 17, 2010
    There is just so much about this game that it just can't explain everything with. It has included Half-Life 2 (a clearly more innovative game than Halo), Portal and Team Fortress 2 (an amazing multiplayer game). Half-life 2: It has an innovative game, and to whoever thinks Halo or whatever game is better, think about this. This game has physics. Not the huge explosion high quality graphics physics, REAL PHYSICS. There are puzzles for you to solve using the physics engine, realistic situations in a fictional world and the world fits the game perfectly.

Portal: Simple gameplay soon to be expanded. You control a Portal gun, and zap from wall to wall, and when it ends, you'll be asking for more.

Team Fortress 2: Let's put it in a few words: Teamwork, skill, fun, achievements, hats (lol), friends, and cartoon. Put them all together and you have a beautiful multiplayer game.
  27. Dec 4, 2010
    What's that, you need to be convinced that 5 games for the price of less than one is worth it? Shame on you. Not only does this master piece come with Half life 2 and the first two episodes, which have amazing single player story value, it also comes with Portal, possibly the most innovative game of the year! Then on top of that, when you have to get your multi-player fix, you have one of the most diverse, fun and chaotic team based shooters on the market! Valve really know how to make you think you're stealing from them. Expand
  28. May 8, 2012
    This pack shows the highlights of the gaming industry, single and multiplayer, I haven't seen anyone else make such a thing of such good quality.

'Some people think that they can outsmart them, maybe... maybe, but I have yet met one who can outsmart bullet'
  29. Sep 23, 2010
    A few years old, and still an absolute joy to play. All aspects of this game, from Half-Life 2 to Team Fortress 2 can literally take hours of your life without you even realising it. A particular highlight of the boxset is the inclusion of Portal, probably one of the most trippy games to play, not that its over difficult but the first time you play through it'd probably be wise to be in a sober state. TF2 has to take the biscuit though, a massively fun online shooter, nothing that takes itself too seriously like the people who sit and play CoD all day because they think its "real", this game will have you laughing as 32 characters bounce around the screen shooting rockets and using flame-throwers all on a small map. Definite Purchase for all Expand
  30. Sep 28, 2012
    It's 4 full length games for the price of one, IF anyone complains about quality or quantity, the should just leave, Valve is one of the best publishers and developers in the gaming world and deserve your respect
  31. May 1, 2011
    Portal=awesome, TF2=awesome, Half-Life 2, plus episodes 1&2=priceless. A MUST BUY! Especially now, since it's been out for a long time. If you don't own this, you should.
  32. Nov 16, 2012
    5 games for less then the price of 1. One of those games is considered by many the game of the year albeit short. What else needs to be said anyone rating in the red doesn't know what games are or deals. Valve has always been great towards its customers anyone who states otherwise are usually self spoiled brats that if you give them a inch they'll expect a foot and be mad with anything less.
  33. Jan 2, 2011
    5 fantastic games, including the best PC game of all time (HL2), the most entertaining multiplayer game I've ever played (TF2) and a truly revolutionary puzzle game (Portal). And right now you can pick the whole lot up on steam for just £8.49. What's not to like?
  34. Edd
    May 7, 2013
    The Orange Box Will Remain one of the best games in History of Gaming and forever it shall be honored by most gamers in the world Fantastic and Well done
  35. Mar 24, 2011
    Well, what more does one have to say other than that this came out in 2007 and I bought it on the first day. Now, in 2011, about 5 years later, I still play Team Fortress 2 and challenge myself to Portal.
  36. Dec 7, 2011
    The single greatest collection of games I've ever bought and it was less than the cost of one game. Not sure we'll ever see something Orange Box again unless Half Life 3 is waiting to be released with Team Fortress 3 & Portal 3.

If that happens, my face my explode.
  37. Feb 2, 2011
    You don't need a review. GET IT NOW!

You get Half Life 2, plus episodes 1, 2, and the lost coast level and the potential to use all source engine game mods, and it's all for under $30. Do I even need to elaborate? Don't wait for it online, go to the store and buy it or buy it off of steam as soon as you can.

On top of that you get 2 more fun games. Portal is a very interesting 1st
    person sort of puzzle platformer, that is very fun to play and is also set in the Half Life Universe. You also get Team Fortress 2, which is a classic, fun FPS that you should play if you own any FPS. On top of all that, these games use the source engine, which is relatively old, meaning that these games will run on older computers and high end laptops. The only possible con I can think of is the automatic installation of Steam on your PC, which really isn't all that bad. It automatically updates all the games, and it offers good prices for downloadable games. But this doesn't have anything to do with the games themselves.

Why are you still reading? GET IT NOW!
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    To be blunt, this is the PC gamer's starter kit. For the low price of $30, you get five games, that's $6 a game. All of them are ranked among the best games of all time, mentioned with the likes of other gaming greats. Once you purchase it, the games within quickly become the staples of your gaming library, and the fondest remembered, most notably, Team Fortress 2. This game in particular has a very laid back and generally nice community, there is plenty of fun to be had, you will be laughing even when you lose. The games within the Orange Box are all content that is generally needed to effectively run Garry's Mod, another popular game. Without the Orange Box games, red ERROR signs and the ol' pink and black checkerboards will endlessly annoy you in Gmod (though a copy of Counter Strike Source and Day of Defeat are also highly recommended).
    Even if you want just one of the games within the box, it is still a better deal to buy them all together.

If you call yourself a PC gamer, and you haven't yet played the games with the near legendary Orange Box, you, sir/madam are missing out sorely, and, at least in my opinion, lack the right to call yourself a PC gamer.

Also, the few negative criticisms on this fine collection of games are related to the Steam content delivery system when it was first released, which has since become the proprietary form of delivering video games to PC gamers. Though I still find Steam to be a little bit slow to load and argumentative at moments, everything on this computer has those moments.
  39. Mar 17, 2011
    Why do I even have to write the minimum word count? The games included in this pack are so infinitely awesome that even saying "This is the best thing in existence." should be enough to convince people to buy it. If you like shooters, and you have even a little interest in the half-life story, than I guarantee that this will be the best buy you will ever make.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    The Orange Box is by far one of the most greatest, and best deals that i have ever seen. 5 games that all got a 90 percent rating or above, (with the exception of episode 1), TF2 having a very addicting multilayer with an option to choose from 9 classes which now have new guns, and awesome hats. Portal which is sadly only 4 hours, but having an amazing story, and gameplay, and the Half Life series. This series mixes intense FPS action, with puzzeles, and a great story. Also to top it all off it is now only 20 dollars. What more do you need. Expand
  41. Apr 15, 2012
    I got this for $10 in the 2011 christmas sale on steam, I would of happily payed $30 or more if I had any idea how much fun I would have for that $10. Over 24 hours of intense and enthralling gameplay with the first 3 parts of the Half Life 2 saga and 5 hours of head scratching gameplay in portal (or more if you played it 6 times through like I did) and endless hours of fun and financial strategy in TF2 this pack has drawn in more of my life then any other game that I can think of (Over 300 hours and counting in TF2 alone) Expand
  42. Jul 23, 2013
    The best deal in gaming history, or possibly ever. This package will give you hundreds of hours of fun for less than 30 bucks. I, for one, have sunk over one thousand hours in TF2 alone, and I still see myself playing it for a long time to come.
  43. Jul 27, 2011
    Needless to say the Orange Box is a Stellar product, all of it. Valve really knows how to put together games that PC gamers can get into and play. No dumb down mechanics or gameplay just good pc gamer core fun. I for one will look forward to any product Valve puts out because they take the time to explore what PC gamers want the demand. E'nuff said 10 baby!!!
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the greatest deal ever. Five games for the price of one. And not only that. All of the games are brilliant masterpieces. You have to love this box.
  45. Sep 16, 2013
    Fantastic set of games, it's just simply odd that you can get this *set* of fantastic games for the price so many lesser games individually sell for.......
  46. Feb 27, 2011
    This simply is the very best what you can get. All in one for a way to cheap price! The engine still functions fantastic and the gameplay still gives you years of fun!
  47. Jan 23, 2013
    Five games for (as of this writing) twenty bucks seems like a scam in an era where a full game with DLC can run you into the nineties. Trust me when I say that it's not. If there are three PC games to play before you die, it's these three - the worthy sequel(s) to one of the most iconic and innovative shooters of the 90s, the greatest class-based multiplayer game in history, and the solid, sublime hour that is the original Portal. Put simply, if the Box doesn't make you burn your consoles and join the Glorious PC Master Race, very little ever will. Expand
  48. Jan 30, 2013
    This is the best game package ever released. comprising of Halflife 2, Halflife 2 episode 1, and Halflife 2 episode 2, the multiplayer game Team Fortress 2, and the puzzle game Portal. Halflife 2 episode 2 was great, as expected, but that wasn't the best part of it. Team Fortress 2 is possible the best (now free) multiplayer shooter. The personalities of the 9 classes are quite funny. Last but not least, there's Portal. Is there anything I can say about portal? This is probably the best puzzle game ever created. The entire thing might be 2-3 hours long, but with this, it's quality over quantity.
    I recommend buying this package on Steam because Portal and the Half life 2 games are cheap, and team fortress 2 is now free.
  49. Aug 1, 2013
    After playing over 40 hours on Portal alone, and 13 hours on Half-Life 2 not even half way through, I can say that this was my money well spent. If you're looking for a game with imaginative and fresh puzzles, Portal will be a great game that will give you hours of enjoyment with multiple levels and challenges. The Half-Life 2 games have a great story line and some great voice actors which really immerse you in the gameplay. However, saying that, the gameplay is pretty standard and can sometimes get a little repetitive after playing all 3 of the Half-Life 2 games in quick succession. Finally, Team Fortress 2. If you have ever played TF2 on either the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, the game on the computer is nothing like them. You have a range of level and missions which I believe aren't on the console version, there is a global population of people playing at all times and can trade between other players to receive a massive amount of weapons... and hats.
    Pro's: A wide range of games and genres, provide entertainment for hours on end and has a great community of gamers.
    Con's: Some repetitive gameplay and some puzzling puzzles.

1. Leave it to Valve to deliver the goods on such an ambitious game package...The Orange Box is one of the finest compilations of gaming content ever produced. [Nov 2007, p.58]
    Not only do you get the best single player first person shooter ever created, you also get the two next chapters, a 3D puzzle game that also happens to live in the Half-Life universe and a terrifically fun team-based multiplayer first-person shooter. This is a lot of game in one package for only 50 dollars.
    The Orange Box offers everything any fan of first-person shooters could possibly want: some of the best single-player gaming ever in the shape of Half-Life 2 and Episodes One and Two; wonderful innovation from Portal, and the most refined, downright fun team-based online FPS currently available in Team Fortress 2. If that doesn't warrant a 10 out of 10, nothing does.