5.6

1. Dec 9, 2012
    First thing is first, for the pricetag, this game is definitely worth any audiophile's money. For only a few bucks, you can't expect much but this game didn't fail to impress.

The visuals are... breathtaking. The integration of music into the environment adds a layer of beauty to the game that is stunning. The game does a beautiful job at analyzing your music and syncing to it in some very neat ways. One of my favorite things to do is to turn off the enemies, switch to the christmas tree level, tweak the settings to the style of music and just fly around listening. It is beautiful. One genre of music that works very well is dubstep. My personal favorite song for this game is Choose Me II by Xilent. Another reason i turn the enemies off, is beacuase the actual game part of the game isn't that great. You fly around and kill as many pacman shaped enemies as you can. Thats it. Don't forget though, small price-tag. That being said, while not deep, the gameplay is well developed. With power-ups and allies and stuff its fun for short gaming sessions. The screen effects are very nice and I occasionally just stand still and die to watch the screen effects as you get hit and die. This game is all show, and that's alright by me. If you're looking for something to do while you listen to your music for up to an hour, this game is perfect. Its a great game to show off to your friends too. I haven't showed anyone this game without them staring wide-eyed blankly at it. Also, I think this review is the first time i've heard anyone talk about the game without using the word trippy. Oh wait, nvm. Worth every penny (if partially because they aren't asking for many). Great game and cudos to the developers.
  2. Mar 25, 2012
    Although I wouldn't necessarily call it a full-fledged game, The Polynomial is definitely something I'd consider an excellent work of visual art and concept. The in-game dynamics and visual effects make for a great visualizer for your music, though older computers may not be able to harness them to their full potential. The idea of controlling a spacecraft to defeat multiple enemies whileAlthough I wouldn't necessarily call it a full-fledged game, The Polynomial is definitely something I'd consider an excellent work of visual art and concept. The in-game dynamics and visual effects make for a great visualizer for your music, though older computers may not be able to harness them to their full potential. The idea of controlling a spacecraft to defeat multiple enemies while listening to your music is actually quite clever, although it will eventually become something completely dull and negligible after a few hours, nay, minutes, of playtime. Needless to say, I immediately switched to the difficulty setting with no enemies or other obstacles, and simply watched the pulsating galaxies.

If you're into some serious visual effects being paired with music of your choice, then this is the game to purchase. If you're looking for a game with some actual hands-on action, however, I'd steer towards another title.
  3. Sep 6, 2011
    This is not a game. Actually, technically it is, but the gameplay elements are atrociously boring. This is a work of art. for sure. At $10, It is worth the price if you want a zen experience.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 24, 2011
    Unique and beautiful, but barely a game. [Mar 2011, p.71]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 23, 2011
    More than a game it is a tool to create procedurally generated galaxies ... and they look absolutely gorgeous. [Issue#201]
  3. Oct 22, 2010
    Despite the pretence of gaming structure, let's call The Polynomial what it is: an invitation to sit around in self-medicated bliss.