6.8

1. Oct 14, 2013
    The Good:
    - The atmosphere of this game feels really nice.
    - The soundtrack fits the mood and is of high quality. - The general idea of the story line is interesting and intriguing. - Some puzzles are really well done and integrate seamlessly into the story. The Bad: - One major plot hole, that left me with the feeling of being lied to by the game. Absolutely absurd. But I don't
    The Good:
    - The atmosphere of this game feels really nice.
    - The soundtrack fits the mood and is of high quality.
    - The general idea of the story line is interesting and intriguing.
    - Some puzzles are really well done and integrate seamlessly into the story.

The Bad:
    - One major plot hole, that left me with the feeling of being lied to by the game. Absolutely absurd. But I don't want to spoil anyone with details.
    - Crude animations, that force you to wait until they are finished. Sometimes you have to wait for 10 seconds, until a character has left the screen, after walking up all the damn stairs. It's also looking very awful and I've got the feeling, that it gets much worse towards the end of the game. I guess the developers didn't test and integrate those animations at all. A nerve-wrecking nightmare!
    - Most of the puzzles are either totally obvious don't make any sense at all. Both ways they are not a lot of fun. (But some puzzles are nice and challenging, though they are the minority.)
    - The game was bug infested after publishing, up to the point, that you couldn't finish the first chapter. After some patches it became better, but you need to save a lot, to deal with frequent crashes.

Conclusion:
    The setting and story could have made a really good game, but in the end I was more disappointed than satisfied by the game's flaws.
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    I think it's a good start. Okay, if you're expecting tough puzzles and many hotspots, then this isn't right for you but if you're hoping for a decent crime story with awesome music and decent voice acting then this first episode might be a good choice.
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    I liked very much this studio's last game, The Book of Unwritten Tales. One of the best of the genre. So I was looking forward for this game. Although it isn't a bad game, I miss the sense of humour of the aforementioned game. Still it has some puns in the game albeit this one is in a rather classic setting that leaves less territory for fun.

Pros: Good, logical, clean puzzles,

Pros:
    Good, logical, clean puzzles, nothing surreal. In consequence it is rather easy (even for me... Sometimes if feels rather like an interactive movie (you decide it's a pro or con I have nothing against it).
    Good characters, OK graphics.

Cons:
    IT IS SLOOOOWWW...
    There must be a better way to set the controls for an adventure game: I click, character goes to the spot and in most of the time I can't do anything else. Walking through the screen takes time, so it would be better if I could "look around" with the cursor... And also: the character has to go to a specific spot to begin a certain movement, the he makes some footsteps on the same spot to get in the position for the next animation... It's a drag, it's so cumbersome. Double click not always working for location change (steps, opening doors) and the characters can't run.
    Bugs characters disappear/reappear, or Adil walks through Mrs. Westmacott in Kairo Museum and the hotspot is on the wrong place... And there are quite a few bugs like that. The space button not showing sometimes the hotspots on their real locations. (Was this game tested?)
    I played the German version and the voices are sometimes off, or I have to wait for a few seconds for the next line of text. Not the characters are boring (as other reviewers stated), but the way they are presented, the pauses between every line. Sometimes the devs relied on mimics, but it's just not working. The ingame movies' pre-rendered facial emotions are mostly OK, but the real-time characters' emotions are pathetic (e.g. Miss Miller's teeth are independent from the rest of her face... ).
    If you miss a speech you can't listen to it again, only if you load back a saved game...
    Around 20% percent of this game is waiting for voices, loading, walking, animations, etc...
    Still I liked the game, not a revolutionary title, but one to spend a few hours with. Let's hope there will be a TBOUT3 on the level of the 1st one.
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    An enjoyable game, steady paced with lots of dialogue a nice break from an FPS for me and graphically and musically good also. Basic and easy to grasp controls with a decent story in 3 parts, 1st part takes around 3-4 hours to complete so for a £20 release for all 3 parts not a bad deal. The puzzles are essentially straight forward, some easier some harder than others but not to theAn enjoyable game, steady paced with lots of dialogue a nice break from an FPS for me and graphically and musically good also. Basic and easy to grasp controls with a decent story in 3 parts, 1st part takes around 3-4 hours to complete so for a £20 release for all 3 parts not a bad deal. The puzzles are essentially straight forward, some easier some harder than others but not to the extent that you need to constantly alt-tab out to a walkthrough. I can't give this game a 10 as that would be silly as it is not a AAA release that takes you to the next level of invention, complexity or graphics but what it does do it does very nicely and is a great example of a point and click game lovers of George Stobart in the Broken Sword games this will certainly appeal to you its the closest comparison i can make for would be purchasers. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    As old as the genre is, and as tired and worn out as it may be, a well-made point & click adventure is still hard to find. Like revisiting your favorite childhood movie, whose details have long faded over time, there is a beautiful familiarity when starting out on a quest that is both excitingly new and quite nostalgic. KING Art’s latest take on the classic genre, The Raven: Legacy of aAs old as the genre is, and as tired and worn out as it may be, a well-made point & click adventure is still hard to find. Like revisiting your favorite childhood movie, whose details have long faded over time, there is a beautiful familiarity when starting out on a quest that is both excitingly new and quite nostalgic. KING Art’s latest take on the classic genre, The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief, excels in both respects by carefully taking heed of its predecessors, while adding a distinctive character of its own.

As with any point & click adventure, the plot is paramount, and The Raven has no shortcomings in this section. After a wonderful opening cinematic introduces the sly burglar amid a daring heist in a London Museum, the action moves to the Orient Express as it hurtles across 1960’s Europe. Bound for Venice, where a cruise ships awaits to take passengers to Cairo, the carriages are filled with interesting characters, all unique and intriguing in their own way.

Players take control of one particular voyager, a Jakob Anton Zellner, a Swiss constable, advanced in years but still quite full of spirit and yearning for adventure. Jakob however is tasked with assisting Legrand, a famous French Inspector, in his transportation of the Eye of the Sphinx to an exhibition in Cairo. The stakes are fairly high as this precious jewel is all that remains of a pair (the fate of the other depicted in the intro movie), and there are fears that the newly-returned Raven may strike again to complete the set. The latter half of the game takes place aboard the S.S. Lydia as it sets sail for the Cairo exhibition.

Much of the plot is revealed through conversations with other passengers and there are plenty of additional details that really flesh out the narrative. A rich and quite intricate world is painted through the dialogue and the more you converse with NPC’s, the more you learn about their backstories and your own. Jakob is a wonderful character, well-formed and extremely likable, eager to prove his worth at his old age both to the younger Inspector Legrand and, more importantly, to himself. There is a deep sadness to the man too, just beneath the surface, as he begins to realize that this is perhaps his last hurrah. The cast is relatively small in this first of three planned chapters, but allows much more attention to be paid to their development within in the story and the exploration of their motivations.

Other adventure games have been fairly criticized in the past for ludicrous combinations of items that have no basis in reality, but no criticism is needed here. KING Art have chose to make problem-solving practical and plausible, even down to the way certain inventory items are handled. Larger objects such as axes, that require both hands of the character, are set down when not needed and removed from the inventory, not stored in an invisible, bottomless backpack. It’s a nice little touch that is in keeping with the overall logical direction of the game. The search for clues is periodically broken up by unique mini-games that provide a welcome break from rummaging through locations, such as bending a bobby pin correctly to pick a lock, or a game of shuffleboard to win a useful quest item. But at no point does the game become monotonous or boring, nor does it become frustratingly hard. It carries itself thanks to a steady tempo in both story and game play.

The Raven is just about everything you could want from a point & click adventure, however the problem is that not many people want a point & click adventure. The game excels in nearly all aspects of the genre and adds a few fresh ideas but, in the end, it may struggle to succeed due to the aversion some people have to a game of this type. But with its simple UI, logical puzzles, fantastic plot and beautiful setting, it’s an excellent place to start for those who have never dabbled in an adventure game. This first chapter in The Raven saga is a class act from start to finish, and I simply cannot wait for the next installment.

1. Nov 14, 2013
    The controls occasionally feel clunky. [Issue#141, p.117]
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    Quirky puzzles, nice storyline and out of the ordinary main character make this Agatha Christie tribute stand out from the vast masses of adventure games. If you're searching for mature content, this is your choice. [Aug 2013]
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    The first episode of The Raven trilogy is blink-and-you-miss-it short. The next time we’ll see the same events from the criminal’s point of view. Here is hoping that his version of the story is more interesting.