6.8

1. Oct 14, 2013
    The Good:
    - The atmosphere of this game feels really nice.
    - The soundtrack fits the mood and is of high quality. - The general idea of the story line is interesting and intriguing. - Some puzzles are really well done and integrate seamlessly into the story. The Bad: - One major plot hole, that left me with the feeling of being lied to by the game. Absolutely absurd. But I don't
    The Good:
    - The atmosphere of this game feels really nice.
    - The soundtrack fits the mood and is of high quality.
    - The general idea of the story line is interesting and intriguing.
    - Some puzzles are really well done and integrate seamlessly into the story.

The Bad:
    - One major plot hole, that left me with the feeling of being lied to by the game. Absolutely absurd. But I don't want to spoil anyone with details.
    - Crude animations, that force you to wait until they are finished. Sometimes you have to wait for 10 seconds, until a character has left the screen, after walking up all the damn stairs. It's also looking very awful and I've got the feeling, that it gets much worse towards the end of the game. I guess the developers didn't test and integrate those animations at all. A nerve-wrecking nightmare!
    - Most of the puzzles are either totally obvious don't make any sense at all. Both ways they are not a lot of fun. (But some puzzles are nice and challenging, though they are the minority.)
    - The game was bug infested after publishing, up to the point, that you couldn't finish the first chapter. After some patches it became better, but you need to save a lot, to deal with frequent crashes.

Conclusion:
    The setting and story could have made a really good game, but in the end I was more disappointed than satisfied by the game's flaws.
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    I think it's a good start. Okay, if you're expecting tough puzzles and many hotspots, then this isn't right for you but if you're hoping for a decent crime story with awesome music and decent voice acting then this first episode might be a good choice.
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    I liked very much this studio's last game, The Book of Unwritten Tales. One of the best of the genre. So I was looking forward for this game. Although it isn't a bad game, I miss the sense of humour of the aforementioned game. Still it has some puns in the game albeit this one is in a rather classic setting that leaves less territory for fun.

Pros: Good, logical, clean puzzles,

Pros:
    Good, logical, clean puzzles, nothing surreal. In consequence it is rather easy (even for me... Sometimes if feels rather like an interactive movie (you decide it's a pro or con I have nothing against it).
    Good characters, OK graphics.

Cons:
    IT IS SLOOOOWWW...
    There must be a better way to set the controls for an adventure game: I click, character goes to the spot and in most of the time I can't do anything else. Walking through the screen takes time, so it would be better if I could "look around" with the cursor... And also: the character has to go to a specific spot to begin a certain movement, the he makes some footsteps on the same spot to get in the position for the next animation... It's a drag, it's so cumbersome. Double click not always working for location change (steps, opening doors) and the characters can't run.
    Bugs characters disappear/reappear, or Adil walks through Mrs. Westmacott in Kairo Museum and the hotspot is on the wrong place... And there are quite a few bugs like that. The space button not showing sometimes the hotspots on their real locations. (Was this game tested?)
    I played the German version and the voices are sometimes off, or I have to wait for a few seconds for the next line of text. Not the characters are boring (as other reviewers stated), but the way they are presented, the pauses between every line. Sometimes the devs relied on mimics, but it's just not working. The ingame movies' pre-rendered facial emotions are mostly OK, but the real-time characters' emotions are pathetic (e.g. Miss Miller's teeth are independent from the rest of her face... ).
    If you miss a speech you can't listen to it again, only if you load back a saved game...
    Around 20% percent of this game is waiting for voices, loading, walking, animations, etc...
    Still I liked the game, not a revolutionary title, but one to spend a few hours with. Let's hope there will be a TBOUT3 on the level of the 1st one.
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    An enjoyable game, steady paced with lots of dialogue a nice break from an FPS for me and graphically and musically good also. Basic and easy to grasp controls with a decent story in 3 parts, 1st part takes around 3-4 hours to complete so for a £20 release for all 3 parts not a bad deal. The puzzles are essentially straight forward, some easier some harder than others but not to theAn enjoyable game, steady paced with lots of dialogue a nice break from an FPS for me and graphically and musically good also. Basic and easy to grasp controls with a decent story in 3 parts, 1st part takes around 3-4 hours to complete so for a £20 release for all 3 parts not a bad deal. The puzzles are essentially straight forward, some easier some harder than others but not to the extent that you need to constantly alt-tab out to a walkthrough. I can't give this game a 10 as that would be silly as it is not a AAA release that takes you to the next level of invention, complexity or graphics but what it does do it does very nicely and is a great example of a point and click game lovers of George Stobart in the Broken Sword games this will certainly appeal to you its the closest comparison i can make for would be purchasers. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2013
    I'm mystified how this game is getting such high ratings. I'm an adventure game player and I can tell you that this game is BEYOND TEDIOUS and frustrating. At one point, the train car crashes and all the lights go out so you're left to basically feel your way around to find four different items (including matches) to light a torch. It's not fun at all. The only good thing I can sayI'm mystified how this game is getting such high ratings. I'm an adventure game player and I can tell you that this game is BEYOND TEDIOUS and frustrating. At one point, the train car crashes and all the lights go out so you're left to basically feel your way around to find four different items (including matches) to light a torch. It's not fun at all. The only good thing I can say about this game is the decent graphics and a likable main character. It takes too long for the characters to react, for example, when I want to walk from point A to point B, I have to wait for the character to turn around, pause, then start walking to get to point B, and it is SLOW. Also, the dialogue is redundant and ENDLESS. Not fun at ALL. Unless you want to be VERY fustrated, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Collapse

1. Nov 14, 2013
    The controls occasionally feel clunky. [Issue#141, p.117]
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    Quirky puzzles, nice storyline and out of the ordinary main character make this Agatha Christie tribute stand out from the vast masses of adventure games. If you're searching for mature content, this is your choice. [Aug 2013]
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    The first episode of The Raven trilogy is blink-and-you-miss-it short. The next time we’ll see the same events from the criminal’s point of view. Here is hoping that his version of the story is more interesting.