The Secret World PC

8.2

1. Jul 6, 2012
    The game gets a full 10 from me based on the fantastic atmosphere built by the really interesting quests, the story of each and every person I meet, the sound and music and finally the beautiful graphics. My second game I havea lifetime subscription on.
  2. Jul 6, 2012
    I've played my share of MMO's, in fact I played almost everything that is out there in the market. Somehow being in the "living" world with other people is much more appealing to my than a single player game. I joined TSW in beta phase and had mixed feelings. On one hand - I loved the clean, intuitive and innovative interface, on another - I couldn't really immerse myself in the gameI've played my share of MMO's, in fact I played almost everything that is out there in the market. Somehow being in the "living" world with other people is much more appealing to my than a single player game. I joined TSW in beta phase and had mixed feelings. On one hand - I loved the clean, intuitive and innovative interface, on another - I couldn't really immerse myself in the game (which is extremely important for me). But I waited for the final product...

And here it is - The Secret World already live. And... the immersion is extraordinary, the quests are innovative and challenging (investigation quests are absolutely brilliant), and finally the character progression, and complete freedom of it is something I haven't seen since the days of Star Wars: Galaxies. Yes - it's easy to make a wrong build, but even here devs have helped by making it possible to use one of the predefined decks as a guideline.

It isn't an easy game. A beginner might feel a bit lost, but then again we get tutorial videos, which is very helpful, though someone who never played MMO will still find it challenging. At the same time for old MMO players (such as myself) - this is finally something new. I haven't seen a game that I would recommend so strongly for many years.

On top of this all - we have great voice acting, beautifully narrated stories, incredible feeling that the games world brings (I hate playing in Kingsmouth when I'm alone at home in the night.. I actually get scared and slightly paranoid... and I'm almost 30! ;))) ), and absolutely great music that underlines nature of this secret world we play in.

The game is not perfect. We could use more character customization (though the devs already promised that more of it will come after the launch), for complete newcomers it might be overwhelming, and I haven't seen any elves (wait... this is actually a good thing!). But whatever small drawbacks it might have - it's a truly polished gem of a game - absolutely worth giving a try.

If you want to immerse yourself in a complex and appealing MMO, with very unique feeling and quality quests - you should definitely join the Templars, Illuminati or the Dragons.
  3. Jul 7, 2012
    I've spent a few days with the game and from what I have experienced so far, it's a great game. It breaks the mold of traditional mmo's (wow,tor,rift). The game does very little hand holding. It's very adult oriented, and as such you are required to think on some of the quests because all you get are clues, not exact steps on what to do. I actually like this. Of course the game is notI've spent a few days with the game and from what I have experienced so far, it's a great game. It breaks the mold of traditional mmo's (wow,tor,rift). The game does very little hand holding. It's very adult oriented, and as such you are required to think on some of the quests because all you get are clues, not exact steps on what to do. I actually like this. Of course the game is not without it's flaws. But what mmo is perfect? There are a few minor bugs here and there, but nothing that is going to completely prevent you from enjoying the game. Just minor wrinkles that will be ironed out in the near future by Funcom. I was very skeptical at first. I didn't beta test it so all I had were reviews and peoples opinions. Finally I decided to give it a go and buy the game regardless of reviews or other peoples opinions. Truth be told I am glad I did. I am enjoying the game a great deal and the no level, no class game changer are a breath of fresh air. If you're like me and wondering if you should try it. I say go for it, but come at it with an open mind. Don't expect WoW 2.0, or you will be in for a disappointing ride. This game isn't like other mmo's. It's different in a very refreshing way. Expand
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    Pretty much every person that has played this game should post his or her review about this great game. Yes, everyone should be able to have their say about the game, but looking from the metacritic reviews, the game is supposedly a mediocre achievement from Funcom. Kinda contradicts what the majority of players are saying. I wonder why? WoW(4 different installments rated on metacritic) ,Pretty much every person that has played this game should post his or her review about this great game. Yes, everyone should be able to have their say about the game, but looking from the metacritic reviews, the game is supposedly a mediocre achievement from Funcom. Kinda contradicts what the majority of players are saying. I wonder why? WoW(4 different installments rated on metacritic) , Diablo 3 and SWTOR have 91(avarage of all 4), 88 and 85, respectively! I agree on WoW, but both Diablo 3 and SWTOR have received below average and bad reviews from players. Whooping 6000+ players have graded D3 to an overall grade of 3,8!! Something must be utterly wrong when online magazines are rating a game at 88/100(or 8,8/10), while the players, who make up 99% of the gaming community give it thumbs down. SWTOR gets 5,6, a little better but still not even close to what the game has received through metacritics.

What, Funcom didn't pay you enough, or at all, to do an honest review of the game? Out of 30 or 31 reviews, the game is rated at mediocre. I guess this is what always happens when someone tries to trudge a new road and make a new standard. This industry has become oh so money driven. I understand that neither WoW nor SWTOR nor Diablo 3 wishes to lose its fanbase, but lets be honest. With or without these bad reviews that are given, this game will blossom. Because word of mouth sells better than any commercial ever will. But hey, everyone has their right to an opinion.

I have spent roughly almost $70 for the game(Scandinavia) incl. shipping(yes, I have a box-version), and paying $10-15 a month is for me personally not an issue. That is how much 1 beer in the bar costs. I guess I will be skipping that 1 beer and play this game instead. No one will ever make a perfect game that will satisfy everybody. We all have to admit that. But realizing how low the leaders, who are here to promote the games have sunk, I rest my case by saying: Try the game for yourself or, If you have a friend that has the game ask him to give you his buddy-key. Or even go to a internet-cafe and see if TSW is installed and try it there. Point being; you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for reading.
  5. Jul 6, 2012
    When I first saw this game I thought it looked "meh" then I took a gamble and bought it and then of course I had my socks blown right off, it's bloody fantastic!!!
  6. Jul 7, 2012
    Immersive world and fresh take on a stale genre. Be warned though, this game requires some thinking (which probably explains some of the negative reviews!). It's not a blind kill-wolves-collect-pelts walk through the park. The investigation missions really shine. Persistent pvp is a little lacking in terms of objectives - but the potential is there. One server design is something alwaysImmersive world and fresh take on a stale genre. Be warned though, this game requires some thinking (which probably explains some of the negative reviews!). It's not a blind kill-wolves-collect-pelts walk through the park. The investigation missions really shine. Persistent pvp is a little lacking in terms of objectives - but the potential is there. One server design is something always welcoming in a world full of multi-server/shard MMOs. Worth a look! 2 days, 18 minutes of game time as of this writing. Expand
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    Firstly take no notice of thept's review he is evedently a braindead troll. To start this game is an amazing new change to the mmo genre, the combat fast and having to evade my different aoes and big attacks from even basic mobs keep you thinking and moving, its a hard game by no means easy like wow/rift and i died 9 times on a mission today. the game has 8 big areas, 8 dungeons and a raidFirstly take no notice of thept's review he is evedently a braindead troll. To start this game is an amazing new change to the mmo genre, the combat fast and having to evade my different aoes and big attacks from even basic mobs keep you thinking and moving, its a hard game by no means easy like wow/rift and i died 9 times on a mission today. the game has 8 big areas, 8 dungeons and a raid soon, amazing music, THE BEST GFX to date of any mmo and the atmosphere is spot on constantly changing and evolving around you. Its voice acting imo is far better then SWTOR and more realistic and fun. If you ar enot one of the common mass market MMO players who just wants to rush to max lv and grind gear and like story/rpg elements and an amazing game world and story deffo get this game, its so good ive even bought lifetime.

Also to note dungeons/instances in this game are more like raids, as they have very little to NO trash mobs inside them its litrely boss > boss > boss so no hours of pointles mob clearing.

Story = Amazing
    Gfx = Amazing
    Sound/Music = Amazing

Bad = A few chat bugs that will soon be fixed and a delayed auction house.
  8. Jul 7, 2012
    The combat can take some getting used to but overall the game is unique in the cluster of current mmos. The story is excellent (even with a mute character). The areas are entertaining especially Transylvania. The ability wheel and the flexibility of changing your playstyle on the fly is a game within itself. The dungeons are all unique and do not hold your hand. One of my favorite featuresThe combat can take some getting used to but overall the game is unique in the cluster of current mmos. The story is excellent (even with a mute character). The areas are entertaining especially Transylvania. The ability wheel and the flexibility of changing your playstyle on the fly is a game within itself. The dungeons are all unique and do not hold your hand. One of my favorite features is everyone can play with everyone. You can play with people from other dimensions (servers) at any time by joining a group and moving to their server for a guest session. General chat and looking for group are also cross server. PvP can seem daunting at first and you will get crushed if you attempt to join Fusang and the large scale battles. However if you enter with decent q10 gear the experience is fun. There are still bugs to be worked out and broken quests. But overall I havn't played a game in recent memory I wanted to play as soon as possible again after I stopped playing. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2012
    Note: first impressions like many people reviewing the game. Total playtime (roughly 6hours)

TSW offers something fresh, a break away from ding ding ding. Then **** about rushing to lvl cap. Which, I think we can all agree is a great idea. The even greater thing? It feels like theres a World here. You're not running around only staring at your mini-map (although sometimes of course you will) but more importantly, you are enjoying the environment the world the monsters, everything feels like it has impact. There's polish here folks. Now, you can grind. If you want. Really, you are not going to want to down that route because you find yourself wanting to explore. Giving this is a launch of a new MMO there always feels like there are some rushed elements. Example, the NPCs stand there. And stare off in space. Sometimes they might move a bit. Stuff like this will hopefully be looked at once they feel stable with the game. The combat feels fun. You are gauging the type of monster; and maybe changing up your "deck" right there in real time before you fight it.

Hopefully Funcom really updates this game all the time, and explodes the community with tons of content. (IE expand New York, more and more blocks, open them up throughout the game's life.) I've played AoC on launch and through the expansion, something about Funcom they are freakin' passionate. So far, i'm really enjoying TSW. IMO, this is a MMO you should at the very least, try.
  10. Jul 7, 2012
    The Secret World is an MMORPG by game developer Funcom that includes a real-world setting in which all legends and myths are real. If you have read and enjoy the Da Vinci Code or other Dan Brown novels staring Robert Langdon this is a game with a setting you will find exciting. The Secret World takes it a step further by embracing the supernatural. The Secret World sets itself apartThe Secret World is an MMORPG by game developer Funcom that includes a real-world setting in which all legends and myths are real. If you have read and enjoy the Da Vinci Code or other Dan Brown novels staring Robert Langdon this is a game with a setting you will find exciting. The Secret World takes it a step further by embracing the supernatural. The Secret World sets itself apart from other games in this genre with excellent character development customization that allows you to evolve your character overtime into pretty much anything you want, as lnog as you are willing to invest the time in getting there. The character visuals are solid, and there are a high number of clothing options to differentiate your look (which are for vanity only). Character stat upgrades come from generally non-visible rings, necklaces, talismans, and the like. Once weakness is the initial character customization process, which was surprisingly limited.

Unlike modern trends in MMOs, your decisions have meaning and cannot be reset. As previously stated, you can evolve your character into anything, but you will need to invest the time to do that, rather than paying for a quick 'character reset'. The upside of course is that you still retain all previously learned skills and abilities. Graphics are average, but the artistic design is supurb and accompanied by outstanding audio (on all fronts - vocals, sound effects, and music). Animation in general is on the weaker side, and if you have played previous Funcom titles you know what to expect. Bottom line: This game is a breath of fresh air in a genre that is just no longer as fun as it used to be... The world is filled with lush detail, excellent quests, and great art and sound design. If you have any interest in exploring the fantasy of what could be behind the curtain the in the 'real world', the Secret World is worth every penny.
  11. Jul 8, 2012
    TSW has a great atmosphere and a well written story. At times it feels a bit like a single-player game (story-telling and some single player instances), but it is most certainly an MMO (Dungeons, PvP, group content). It manages to combine this in a fascinating way.

The quests are never boring. My favourite part of the game so far are the dungeons though. The boss mechanics are amazing fun and good rewards are provided for groups that work together in the form of quality loot and ability + skill points. It makes a lot of sense to run the dungeons!

If you like PvE/dungeons that are challenging and fun I HIGHLY recommend this game.
    The combat is standard MMO-combat, but with an ability system of 500+ abilities that makes it MUCH more fun and deep than the first impression may provide.

In my opinion the games weakest spot so far is that the first few hours spent in the game feel unfamiliar and a bit underwhelming when it comes to combat. This is because you have a low number of abilities at your disposal and no flexibility. I believe reviews that highlight combat as a weak point in the game unfortunately only scratched the surface of choices and flexibility before spewing a premature review.
  12. Jul 11, 2012
    The Secret World is the MMO that gave me hope that the genera still has a future. While still somewhat rough around the edges, as should be expected with any MMO that just launched. But it has enjoyed a smooth launch and most of the issued tend to be minor, all in all there are so many good things about it that it is easily forgiven.

It's primary strenghts lie with it's missions and

It's primary strenghts lie with it's missions and storytelling, freeform character building and stunning visuals. The term "thinking mans MMO" has been used a lot around TSW, and while I have never quite liked the term, it is fitting. TSW as opposed to the majority of contemporary MMO's dares to let you out into the world on your own, instead of firmly holding you by the hand and leading you along. It also dares to challenge you with several aspects of the gameplay, forcing you to think for yourself or find aid with your fellow players. Be it solving a wide variety puzzles, or rethinking the build that worked great last zone but needs some serious changes to deal with the new challenges that face you next.

The game is well written and presented with plenty of care. The graphics, while for some reason often the target for criticism, is some of the sharpest in the genera.. granted you have the hardware to run it on decent settings. It's a good thing then that TSW is a lot less demanding than Funcoms last MMO, Age of Conan comparably was at launch.

I won't say that TSW is for everyone, few good MMO's ever are, but those who look for an experience that offers up something new and different I can only recommend you give it a try. Make sure you give it enough time to sink in as well, many of TSW's strengths become apparent a little bit further in. What you will find is an MMO that has it's roots firmly in the familiar but its heart in an entirely new place. It fills a necessary niche that lies somewhere in between games like WoW and it's many clones, and more advanced online games like EvE. I'm very happy to finally have a game like that.
  13. Jul 14, 2012
    ce jeu est tout simplement magnifique un environnement varié des créatures variées et des quêtes ou il faut chercher à grace navigateur intégré je kif ce jeu c'est tout graphiquement excellent et un système de lv tout simplement extraordinaire je ne peux plus men passer à acheter absolument
  14. Jul 19, 2012
    I love The Secret World - it is absolutely unlike any MMO you've played. You've probably heard all the big selling point by now, and they're all true. The setting and atmosphere are crazy brilliant, the quests are more diverse and original than most single player RPGs, and the character advancement is really unique and refreshing (you will find yourself constantly changing around yourI love The Secret World - it is absolutely unlike any MMO you've played. You've probably heard all the big selling point by now, and they're all true. The setting and atmosphere are crazy brilliant, the quests are more diverse and original than most single player RPGs, and the character advancement is really unique and refreshing (you will find yourself constantly changing around your abilities to fit the situation - which is how the game sells itself as "classless"). Instead of leveling vertically in levels, you gain skill points and ability points at a fairly rapid basis... allowing you to not only be more powerful, but much more flexible (you can change out any purchased abilities on a whim, as you see fit).

Besides the theme, and the fact that the game can get really genuinely creepy, the thing that sold me was the diversity of quests (called "missions" in TSW). These missions sometimes require solving actual puzzles and riddles, and frequently doing ACTUAL detective work (sometimes involving Google, Wikipedia, and lots of actual, real-world websites that the devs have set up - in addition to in-game clues). There are still the occasional (albeit rare) "Kill X Monsters" quests, and they're still as tedious as ever... but they're few and far between enough, that I don't mind when they pop up once or twice per zone.

That said, the game still has all the rough edges. In particular, the sheer inventiveness of the quests means that the developers are still cleaning up lots of obnoxious mission-related bugs... some of which are bad enough that they can completely stop your progress. And the real kicker is that the bugged quests almost always seem to be the coolest and most inventive (like The Black House, which would be one of the coolest game experiences ever... if it worked). There's also a pretty good number of quests where monsters are supposed to spawn but don't, or take so long that you just assume it's bugged and leave (which in turn sometimes breaks the quest even more). As with most MMO launches, this is fairly par for the course, and hopefully if you wait 2 or 3 months to try the game out, these annoyances will be fixed.

As others have also stated, character creation is really underwhelming at the moment... particularly in the realm of hair styles (for both male AND female characters). Once you are actually in the game, the clothing options available for purchase (with in-game money or actual cash) will put most fashion districts to shame - so keep in mind that as disappointing as the facial creation is, the possibilities for customizing your clothing are downright INSANE... and the cloths are really what define your character's look, anyway. But if the character creation still gets you down, know this: the developers are busy adding barber shops, plastic surgery centers, and tattoo parlors to the game - so that character you created at the beginning... it's not permanent. It can be changed and tweaked to your heart's content once you're in the game (in about a month, anyway).

And that's the kind of cool stuff that will keep my playing The Secret World for a long, long time. It's the choice, the diversity, the excitement and fear... The Secret World is a refreshing, genuinely original, and fun MMO that gets it right everywhere that counts. The developers passion for their product shines through every feature... and once they get that extra coat of spit and polish on there (in the form of bug fixes, barber shops, and plastic surgery)... then I'll be able to say with complete honesty, that this game is a perfect 10.
  15. gtb
    Aug 16, 2012
    TSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is theTSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is the game for you.

The fact that the critic score was low for this game is an absolute indication of how useless game critics have become. TSW is innovative, unique, and it almost completely breaks the mold of the standard MMO. There are a few areas that need improvement, but the launch was the smoothest of any MMO i've played on day one, and the storyline, voice acting, and quests are top notch. It is firmly in my top three favorite MMOs, and I hope it continues for a long time.
  16. Aug 31, 2012
    Secret World is a breath of fresh air from the monotony of the average MMO and is one of the most original and exciting games to be released in years. The setting, a modern-day fantasy world with a dash of Lovecraftian horror, brings back fond memories of the pen-and-paper RPG Shadowrun or Vampire the Masquerade. Perhaps the most innovative and exciting aspect of this game are the PvESecret World is a breath of fresh air from the monotony of the average MMO and is one of the most original and exciting games to be released in years. The setting, a modern-day fantasy world with a dash of Lovecraftian horror, brings back fond memories of the pen-and-paper RPG Shadowrun or Vampire the Masquerade. Perhaps the most innovative and exciting aspect of this game are the PvE investigative missions. Tired of 'kill 10 bears, then kill 10 more'? Well, don your Holmes pipe and get your notepad ready to do some occult sleuthing. Better brush up on your latin translations and Morse code though because these puzzles are HARD. Like, old-school 'You are likely to be eaten by a Grue' stuck-for-days hard. The not-quite leveling system is also brilliant, with a near infinite combination of character classes in each weapon class. Only a few significant downsides to this game: still a great deal of MMO-grinding particularly in the terrible timed-kill missions; no indication for some group or high-level missions; and sometimes tediously long speeches from mission-givers. These are minor quibbles, though. Step away from GW2 and give this game a try- you will not be disappointed. Expand
  17. Aug 10, 2012
    This game REALLY shines in its creativity on gameplay, story line and ability to get you hooked! The system on abilities are out of this world, the possibilities are almost endless! and the game wants you too pursue how you like to play with your character not needing to play what the game needs you to play. There are so much they can add later on to the game, the world are so open withThis game REALLY shines in its creativity on gameplay, story line and ability to get you hooked! The system on abilities are out of this world, the possibilities are almost endless! and the game wants you too pursue how you like to play with your character not needing to play what the game needs you to play. There are so much they can add later on to the game, the world are so open with possibilities and they have already launched a monthly content pack! No MMORPG have this kind of content flow, and i'm positive that Funcom will deliver months and months on. Thank you Funcom for this great game, and too bad for my wife that you made it.... Expand
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is what has been missing from the MMO space for a very long time. It feels like forever since I've played a game that has captured my interest as much, a game that challenges the brain as well as telling a compelling story. It's not a game for you if you like to power level (levels are largely irrelevant) or if you hate to watch cut scenes, but if you want to play something thatThis game is what has been missing from the MMO space for a very long time. It feels like forever since I've played a game that has captured my interest as much, a game that challenges the brain as well as telling a compelling story. It's not a game for you if you like to power level (levels are largely irrelevant) or if you hate to watch cut scenes, but if you want to play something that doesn't treat you like an idiot, check this out.

The combat is simple to grasp the basics of, but displays its true versatility when exploring the range of complementary skills. Over time it deepens and broadens your range of options, forcing the player to adapt as the play field difficulty ramps up. While there have been rumblings that combat is over simplistic, that's an illusion; it's as complex as you want it to be, and necessitates experimentation.

Again, this is not your game if you don't like to make choices, or you want a "one size fits all" play style.

The environments are broad and challenging, with a good variety of mission types. It's not an all you can eat buffet, with a stack of quests you pile up to munch through, it's a stride through a roaring market where you sample what takes your fancy as you take in the spectacle. The system of tiered missions encourages exploration and avoids leading you by the nose while still displaying the play fields to best advantage.

No need to emphasis the quality of the cut-scenes and the story, as the most biased of Nay Sayers have been unable to find fault with either of these features. I could go on, but the review is already too long and I want to get back to playing...
  19. Aug 10, 2012
    One of the best mmorpg i have played in years. Top notch atmosphere, great cut scenes and graphics which put every other game to shame.
    Combat is really brilliant, i needed some time to get used to the new mechanics, but after then it wasn't the typical button smashing anymore. It was like playing a genius card game.
    Enemies and Mobs are good, nice AI, and interesting special moves. You
    Enemies and Mobs are good, nice AI, and interesting special moves. You have to move sometimes. The dungeons are not a cakewalk either. But the best thing are the missions. I never played better or more interesting missions in all my game life (20+years), they are hard and they are good. And nothing can offer you more adventure,mystery and horror. The writing is on par with top movies.
  20. Aug 10, 2012
    I really wasn't sold on the Secret World, but I find myself happily surprised by its maturity, intelligence, and interest in offering players something new. The Secret World has ...
    ... top of the line writing (on par with the best non-MMO PC games out there),
    ... top of the line writing (on par with the best non-MMO PC games out there),
    ... top of the line voice acting (see above, so much so that most of the game's characters are already stuck in my mind, as any other film character would),
    ... great pop culture references (that don't go over-board),
    ... an excellent variety of quest types (puzzles, grinds, investigations, etc.),
    ... a fantastic mood (love the 'Siren Song' mission for instance, with that heartbreaking half-transformed unfortunate lost in the sewers),
    ... a great look,
    ... excellent dashes of humor (be they in the writing, in the acting, in the animations -- love all those sad-funny-pathetic zombie animations--, or in the audio design -- love those coughing monsters, etc),
    ... a keen interest in offering gamers a multifaceted take on non-western cultures and protagonists,
    ... a very rich universe ("very" is a misnomer of course, as there's a quasi infinite variety of tales to tackle),
    ... an open skill system that let's you decide how you want to play your character,
    ... a combat system that stands out as it requires gamers finesse and preparation,
    ... and loads of room to grow.

Really the best modern MMO out there, one that offers a rich mythology, and a stable environment in which to explore it, after only a month live!

The game is stable, with only a few minor bugs, and a crew of dedicated, experienced devs.

The game's not for everyone, but if you are curious, and in the mood for game design that stands out for trying to and succeeding at offering new things to the tired MMO world, give "The Secret World" a chance.
  21. Aug 10, 2012
    At first, I didn't like The Secret World (TSW) when I tried it in Beta, mostly for it's controls. Man I hated those controls.

However, there were many things I did enjoy. The story, the environment, the graphics, and the customization, all of which are spectacular. Last week, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller, and let me tell you, what

Last week, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller, and let me tell you, what a difference that made! My initial misgivings over the controls were quickly forgotten, and I was quickly able to get back to enjoying what was truly important about the game.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys games with good storylines, or games with good graphics, or games set in a modern, realistic environment. Additionally, if you are a fan of puzzles and figuring out complex mysteries, this game is totally for you!

Right now, the game is still new, so some bugs and gliches are to be expected. However, those will be overcome in time. Patience is a key when jumping into a new MMO. But in the case of TSW, that patience will pay off.
  22. Rye
    Aug 10, 2012
    This game is refreshing. You do not have 42 active skills/spells to deal with on your hot bar. Instead you have 500+ to choose and add 7 to the hot/action bar. With this you can play the game and not just play a hot bar.
    Missions; yes you do have a few of the typical kill ten rats, but they are far and few between and most missions are interesting and fun. Also, the puzzle missions are way to fun to not mention and there are more of them coming. The current community of the game is a good one, seems more mature then some other games that I have played.
  23. Oct 1, 2012
    Try 3 days for free at secretworld.com, don't just take my word that this is the most under-rated MMO by critics on Metacritic. Currently tied with GW2 as the #1 MMO on Metacritic by user reviews (8.3) with good reason (TSW is way better IMO). Ignore the min system specs, my laptop is below min requirements but the game runs fine on it (AMD E-350 1.6GHz Dual Core 64, AMD Radeon HD 6310M,Try 3 days for free at secretworld.com, don't just take my word that this is the most under-rated MMO by critics on Metacritic. Currently tied with GW2 as the #1 MMO on Metacritic by user reviews (8.3) with good reason (TSW is way better IMO). Ignore the min system specs, my laptop is below min requirements but the game runs fine on it (AMD E-350 1.6GHz Dual Core 64, AMD Radeon HD 6310M, Win 7 Home Premium, 6GB RAM), the free trial will let you see how it runs on your PC so you'll know for sure. This is the first MMO I've tried and liked better than WoW classic/BC. If you are sick of WoW clones and/or childish MMOs give this one a try:
    +2 has a free trial to see if I like the game before buying it
    +2 free form questing, do quests in any order, ignore any non-story quests you don't like without penalty
    +2 no classes, you can use any weapon and ability with the potential to learn all 525 abilities, you can weild 2 weapons at a time, and choose 7 active and 7 passive skills from either weapon from many options. Abilities and weapons you choose will spec you tank/healer/dps on the fly.
    +1 for quasi-leveless game play, you learn more abilities and strengthen them to progress, but there is no traditional character level
    +1 is a different world (present day horror theme) from a typical MMO for those bored with Elves, etc.
    +1 for bringing a FPS feel to an MMO (at least for me with the assault rifle equipped)
    +2 for memorable characters and very well voiced-acted cut-scenes for every quest you accept. -0.5 for your character being mute in them which is kind of weird.
    +1 for good story telling, quests start by finding items, your cell phone ringing, or you talking to an NPC and seeing a great cut-scene. Turn in quests by reporting them done on your cell phone.
    +1 for very few kill 10x quests, only found 2 in first 30 hours of game-play
    +1 for special sabotage quests where you need to avoid motion sensors, trip-wire and lasers, etc.
    +1 for special mission quests where you need to look for clues in the real world searching Google, Wikipedia, real online web sites for companies in the game, etc.
    -1 for making the special mission and sabotage quests so damn hard lol (btw find other MMOs too easy? these are for you)
    +1 rated M 17+ targeting adult audience, NPCs swear a lot (especially New Yorkers) and sexual themes are common.
    +1 for great selection of character face and clothes (better than my RL wardrobe lol!), so far I've accidentally created look-alikes for Jonathan Frakes, Kurt Cobain and my RL friend from Laos lol)
    +1 you can team up with your friends no matter which realm they are on (except for WvWvW)+1 for daily patches for bugs. I've seen way more bugs playing MOP for 5 hours than TSW for 30 hours (No bugs I have found in TSW were game-breaking.)
    +1 for content released once per month on average (give or take 2 weeks), much better than WoW, etc.
    +1 death works just like WoW, but no annoying rez sickness if you res at GY (+1) (and no annoying downed state lol)
    +1 global looking for group channels allow you to see groups forming while questing (no more running back and forth in SW bored while waiting for something exciting to happen lol)
    +1 GUI is customizable, move windows where you want, size your bags how you want (although how to do it is not obvious)
    +1 optionally use Facebook (instead of some walled custom method) to find if my friends play and if they are online.
    +1 cash shop has only cosmetic items (except for server transfers which cost real money)
    +1 for video tutorial to explain skill/ability system (which is very different than other MMOs)
    +1 new in launcher lets you know about latest bugs, content updates, scheduled maintenance, etc. (no more looking on Reddit to find out lol)
    -2 has monthly subscription (perfer hybrid or just paying for expansions myself)
    +0 play on normal, RP, French & English dimensions(realms)
    -1 no normal world PVP
    +1 no forced grind of daily quests, you can repeat once a day if you want, but no better rewards than doing new quests
    -1 for telling me to upgrade my computer everytime I log on although the game runs fine on it
    -0.5 for too many logo screens everytime I log on (press space to skip, but is annoying)
    +0 has no end-game yet (but plans to add it in the future). Personally, I'm burnt out on end game right now anyway.
    +1 for having the server tied to a character (ie: not your account like GW2)
    So 22/10 ha ha, if I could rate it 11/10 I would but 10/10 will have to do.
  24. Aug 14, 2012
    I was tentative at first, after Funcom's AO and AOC debacles. TSW makes me feel more confident that Funcom can do a good job. The areas are interesting, exciting and fresh. The missions range from easy "collect these items" to challenging investigation missions that have no waypoints provided to the user.

I love this game and the environment it gives us to run around in.
  25. Aug 16, 2012
    Finally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently andFinally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently and my advice to new comers is to look around and think like you are really there. There are yellow pages to browse in phone booths, ARG style websites on google. If you find a cellphone that says "the password is the first hymn on sunday", go to the church and look at where one would post hymns numbers in a real church. Expand
  26. Sep 23, 2012
    Very underestimated game. It is beautiful in visuals, story, lore, investigation missions and setting. NPC animations and voice acting is simply great. Probably the first MMO that has single player experience compared with the best RPG singles. However it is much better then usual single player games in the long run because of guaranteed new monthly content for the next 7 years (as it wasVery underestimated game. It is beautiful in visuals, story, lore, investigation missions and setting. NPC animations and voice acting is simply great. Probably the first MMO that has single player experience compared with the best RPG singles. However it is much better then usual single player games in the long run because of guaranteed new monthly content for the next 7 years (as it was promised by Ragnar). Group PVE is also very, very nice since dungeon mechanics is interesting and challenging. Animations, effects are OK for me and I do not understand why some people put so much emphasis to them it their negative reviews. I solved subscription issue by buying lifetime account=) Expand
  27. Aug 31, 2012
    Secret World is the most fun I've had in an MMORPG in a long time. I'm never been a fan of zombies, monsters, or creepy things. But Secret World does it in such a way that makes it really fun. The combat and the way you can combine various attacks/ability trees lets you really play the character you want.

Missions/Quests: The writing, humor,and detail on many of the missions is

Missions/Quests: The writing, humor,and detail on many of the missions is really, really good. So going back later and repeating the missions is fun, and about 90% of the missions are repeatable. Other games have "daily" missions, in which you usually grind something boring. But in Secret World you can pick your favorite missions and do THOSE as dailies, which is sooo much more fun. The NPC's in Secret World have their little quirks and actual personality that make them stand out. Character development: I never felt gimped or underpowered when starting new characters. Other games have the level grind, and you need increasingly more and more XP in order to make your character better in some way. Not in the Secret World, because the XP needed for the next ability point stays the same. This allows for fantastic levels of customization as you can consistently unlock new abilities. Progression was steady and well paced. Secret World allows players to eventually unlock every ability/attack/passive bonus in the game. You can only slot 7 active attacks/abilities and 7 passive abilities (14 total). But you can change them around and swap them out at any time, with any ability that you've unlocked. The reasonable XP needed to gain ability points means that you can flesh out your character in ways that are fun. For example, how about an elementalist with some dual pistol attacks tossed in! It gives you a lot or room for creating the character you're looking for.

Setting and graphics; I'm running an NVidia 275 GTX card, and the graphics are really good. The modern setting feels comfortable, because so much of it is familiar. It also adds to the creepiness in some areas, because of how things are destroyed or affected. I personally don't see anything wrong with the attack animations. In fact, I think some of them look really cool (Like pistols, and the elemenal electric attacks). Overall I'm having a lot of fun, and look forward to playing this game for quite a long time.
  28. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is an absolute groundbreaking MMO in almost every way. The story, the skill wheel, dynamic, lore - i could go on and on on how revolutionary this game is. Why "professional" gaming sites scored this on average below 8 and Star Wars the Old Republic above is proof how money is more important than quality.
    I only gave it 9 and not 10 because i think it can evolve to be even
    I only gave it 9 and not 10 because i think it can evolve to be even better. I hope that anyone that reads this review wil want to give the Secret World a chance because its really worth it. I think that projects such as this one should be supported to show that taking risks in the gaming industry to make something unique and new pays up. TRY A FREE TRIAL AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF.
  29. Oct 11, 2012
    Really 8.5 but as there are no half marks, I gave it a 9. Perfect MMO? No. Innovative MMO? Hell yes. In truth this is like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of MMOs, most of whom aspire to be WoW-but-looks-a-bit-different. The Secret World actually *is* different. Moreover Funcom are reactive to major bugs, the Devs actually comment in threads on the official forum and IReally 8.5 but as there are no half marks, I gave it a 9. Perfect MMO? No. Innovative MMO? Hell yes. In truth this is like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of MMOs, most of whom aspire to be WoW-but-looks-a-bit-different. The Secret World actually *is* different. Moreover Funcom are reactive to major bugs, the Devs actually comment in threads on the official forum and I have never had better customer service in any game from in-game GMs when I file a petition for some reason. That last point alone is probably worth 2 points on the score! The freedom this game offers from the cookie cutter 'Trinity' and 'One Best Build for Task' is very refreshing indeed. The story lines are uncompromisingly adult and the puzzles are bloody hard (the game has a modern setting and an in-game browser so you can google things!). So if you like a game to molly coddle you and not force you to think, then this is *not* the game for you. Likewise you actually have to move in this game because position matters, so if you prefer games that are essentially your min-max spreadsheet against his min-max spreadsheet, again this game might not be your cup of tea. Otherwise, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Oh and if you are a fan of the HP Lovecraft genre of horror, you will be hit in the face by all the references like a rubbery Shoggoth tentacle. Simply splendid. Expand
  30. Aug 20, 2012
    It saddens me to see such a great MMO tanked by reviews from WoW fanboys and **** game review sites. I used to have respect for you G4, Yeah I'm talking to you! Especially as a large number of these reviews came from a closed beta that doesn't come close to comparing to the current product. Anyway, being an MMO gamer since the days of text based mud's and a huge fan of the Elder ScrollIt saddens me to see such a great MMO tanked by reviews from WoW fanboys and **** game review sites. I used to have respect for you G4, Yeah I'm talking to you! Especially as a large number of these reviews came from a closed beta that doesn't come close to comparing to the current product. Anyway, being an MMO gamer since the days of text based mud's and a huge fan of the Elder Scroll series, I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across something new and quite refreshing. Everyone that says this game has bugs is right, but just about any large-scale MMO I've played at launch has had them. It's kind of a given when you're dealing with development on such a large scale where (from a coding perspective) everything ties into just about everything else. TSW has handled the bugs fairly well, though I'm not as much of a completionist as others. If I run across something that's not working at the moment, I'll just go back and do it later. No big deal.

The story and voice acting are superb. Best I've come across in a game so far. Many times I've been drawn in, laughed out loud, or cringed due to the quality of the voice acting in this game. It really is something else. The graphics are amazing. Coming from WoW and EVE, and then taking a break from both to play FPS's on the Xbox, I was really impressed. I had always thought EVE was the most beautiful game I had seen in a long time, and didn't think another game would come close in a very long time. I was wrong. The vistas don't quite have the scope of a massive world like WoW, but the details are incredible on ultimate settings. And I end up feeling like a dirty old man checking out the combat thong on the female character in front of me that is most likely being played by a dude.......I know........sad huh.

Watching the posts, likes, comments, and reviews on Facebook, and other review sites, I find a refreshingly large number of female gamers that have been drawn into the game. It adds a wonderful balance that I will not be likely to find anywhere else outside of the Sims, and Hello Kitty Palace. The multiplayer and storyline (PvE) portion of the game is really excellent. I find myself casually grouping with random players that I encounter as I ride solo completing missions and gathering loots. We don't even have to group up, we just end up helping each other and both get credit. It's a kind of cooperative play that is really enjoyable when I don't feel like grouping or being social. Especially when I'm only casually playing in bursts while doing other **** around the house.

Character customization could be expanded. I'd love to see more options, and I'm happy to know that more will be added over time, especially as this is a new game. And I can add or tweak my customization any time I want with the soon to be added plastic surgeon and tattoo artists. TSW's only real flaw at this time is the PvP. Unfortunately, there is NO OPEN WORLD PVP. Shame on you Funcom......shame. Way to cater to the carebears. The current PvP arenas are extremely engaging at first, but end up getting repetitive over time, and don't offer the same adrenaline and challenge of open world PvP areas that I have quite enjoyed and lived in on other MMO's. I do have high hopes though as the game is still in development and I have my fingers crossed that one of these days some open world PvP will finally be added.

Overall this game will be able to keep you engaged for quite some time. Especially if you're not the achievement hunter type that tries to rush through everything to get maxxed out as quickly as possible. It's staying power is a bit lacking, but that's also something to be expected of a newly launched game as more and more content will continue to be added. I am comfortable with the fact that if I do get bored and decide to hop back on the xbox for a little while, when I come back to TSW, there will always be something new for me to explore and return to. Even without added content, the current content is engaging enough for me to repeat many times over before needing some "fresh meat" so to speak.

While PvP can lose its luster over time, it does take a while for that to happen, and new stuff is already being added to the mix.

I'd like to deduct more for lack of open-world-pvp, but TSW makes up for it in so many other areas. Goodbye EVE Online, it was nice while it lasted. I have found myself a new playground.
  31. Aug 17, 2012
    As a veteran of many MMO over the past 10 years, I find TSW to be one of the most unique and entertaining. Its story telling and use of voice acting is top notch. Its atmosphere as a Horror MMO is also top notch. Its investigation missions (puzzles and research based) are innovative and never seen in any of the MMOs in my experience.

More importantly, The Devs and GMs are dedicated

More importantly, The Devs and GMs are dedicated to refining and making TSW a long lasting experience. GM support in-game has been excellent. Some of the bugs (non of them Earth shattering in my opinion) have addressed, while others are being worked on. New content has been added and will be added for the game's first two months.

9/10 in my book.
  32. Aug 18, 2012
    Pretty much everything has already been said by others, but my main reason for giving this a full score is that it's just so refreshingly different and deep. Yes, there are a few mission bugs, but most are fixed now, and they are only minor problems. Graphics are great if you have the computer to run max (as with all other games...), music/sound backs up the mood and setting, developersPretty much everything has already been said by others, but my main reason for giving this a full score is that it's just so refreshingly different and deep. Yes, there are a few mission bugs, but most are fixed now, and they are only minor problems. Graphics are great if you have the computer to run max (as with all other games...), music/sound backs up the mood and setting, developers are listening, communicating and fixing. It can be a bit difficult and challenging, but come on - you cannot blame a game for not letting you cruise through all the content! Join a good Cabal that will help you if stuck, team up, try another approach.
    This game is not for anyone looking for an easy game, but if you value a bit of challenge, like to think a little in your games, enjoys great stories and characters - you HAVE to at least give it a try. You can sign up for free tryout if you hesitate spending any money.
  33. Aug 18, 2012
    I think that much of the negative press that this game has received is due to the critics having to pay the game for a few days and write a review about it. This works for some the less complex MMO's where it is easy to set up a cookie cutter character that is the same as 10,000 others in the game, and do just fine. The Secret World actually requires you to experiment and think forI think that much of the negative press that this game has received is due to the critics having to pay the game for a few days and write a review about it. This works for some the less complex MMO's where it is easy to set up a cookie cutter character that is the same as 10,000 others in the game, and do just fine. The Secret World actually requires you to experiment and think for yourself when building a character and that same complexity is going to be a turn off to the instant gratification segment of players.

If you give this game an honest chance and are not the type of person that wants a strategy guide to build your toon for you then TSW is a very fun game with some amazing depth. It still has som glitches and issues that the folks at Funcom are working to repair, but I would rather play a game with some problems and great potential than another WOW clone designed for 2nd graders.
  34. Aug 20, 2012
    Interesting world, intriguing backstory, fun quests, smooth launch... what's not to like ?

This game is a very welcome deviation from the 'lets dumb it down to appeal to the masses' trend many other games employed lately... and, while is does have its silly points here & there, you definitely won't find any giant pandas... ;)
  35. Aug 20, 2012
    Im LOVING The Secret World. I have encountered only a few minor bugs. The story is GREAT and the open builds for the characters is really a fresh idea.
  36. Aug 20, 2012
    Truly a next-gen MMO, Funcom has taken a lot of chances and broken away from the old formula that current MMOs copy and paste from. Everything from the setting to the character building is a breath of fresh air.
    The combat, which seems somewhat simplistic at first, evolves into something spectacular. It is very common that my group will hit a wall on a dungeon boss, and many times rethinking our strategy and retooling our builds (choosing from 500+ skills, editable on the fly) gets us past it. Huge bosses and movement in combat makes things a lot more actiony than most MMOs.
    It didn't take me long to buy a lifetime membership to TSW, and I don't seem myself regretting it. The first content update and the upcoming monthly ones all seem to give more of what the players love about the game.
  37. Aug 21, 2012
    + setting
    + quests
    + skill system
    + synchronization (English is good ... German is weird at times because they try to copy the speaking ductus of the English version ... which makes some characters even more spycho than they are supposed to be)
    + graphics
    + monthly updates
    + fun
    + fast support
    + investigative quests

- animation
    - bugs (chat, quest mechanics)
    - at times extreme nerdy
  38. Aug 22, 2012
    Definitely a breath of fresh air when it comes to the MMO world. Many reviews say the combat is weak, but i have to disagree with that. Thought it may not be like other MMOs were you stand around slashing back and forth, in this game you actually have to pay attention, move around, know what attacks to pull off next. It's fun and different and believe its great for the game. The uniqueDefinitely a breath of fresh air when it comes to the MMO world. Many reviews say the combat is weak, but i have to disagree with that. Thought it may not be like other MMOs were you stand around slashing back and forth, in this game you actually have to pay attention, move around, know what attacks to pull off next. It's fun and different and believe its great for the game. The unique progression of characters gets rid of the need for alts unless you want to be in a different secret society and get different outfits by building certain decks so it lets you create the character you want to create and make it more YOU. The story and setting are just amazing. It makes me actually want to go around and collect lore and learn more and more about the history of what i'm playing. The games missions feel very fresh and don't really repeat themselves at all and there are three different types of missions that make you think. The voice acting and writing is all great and FunCom seems to fix all bugs very often. One of the best and fresh MMO's I have ever played. Expand
  39. Aug 22, 2012
    Level- and worldbuilding is excellent and makes me wonder how on earth they managed to mess it up so badly in AoC. The atmosphere is great and the missions lovely varied for a mmog - investigation missions are fantastic. Combat system is pretty much par for the genre, although I like how you don't have to lock yourself into a build and can pick abilities on-the-fly (usually afterLevel- and worldbuilding is excellent and makes me wonder how on earth they managed to mess it up so badly in AoC. The atmosphere is great and the missions lovely varied for a mmog - investigation missions are fantastic. Combat system is pretty much par for the genre, although I like how you don't have to lock yourself into a build and can pick abilities on-the-fly (usually after respawning...) to overcome special foes. The gui needs a bit of polish. High points: missions that invites you to think for yourself; it's easy to die; and it's easy to get something done solo if you don't have time or people to do group missions. Contemporary setting a welcome change. Overall: pleasantly surprised. Expand
  40. Aug 22, 2012
    What a breath of fresh air to an ailing market. Finally a game that warrants its players with some intelligence and doesn't treat them like children.

Complex and involving investigation missions (if you ignore the general chat!) that will keep me coming back time and time again.

Well done Funcom, you should be commended.
  41. Aug 22, 2012
    The Secret World restored my faith in both the genre and developers. This is not a WoW like grindfest, or a rush to get to "endgame" content. The skills and abilities you earn at the beginning of the game can serve you perfectly well through later game content. The skill system doesn't focus on the grind or min/maxing. Instead, the player is treated like an adult, a person who enjoys aThe Secret World restored my faith in both the genre and developers. This is not a WoW like grindfest, or a rush to get to "endgame" content. The skills and abilities you earn at the beginning of the game can serve you perfectly well through later game content. The skill system doesn't focus on the grind or min/maxing. Instead, the player is treated like an adult, a person who enjoys a good book, a person who wants mature content in a mature world. The world is the most visceral quality in the game, and they have managed to bring every zone to life. The quest system changes your mentality from jumping from quest to quest to actually exploring and seeing the care crafted into it. I look at each quest as a page on my characters story, rather than something I need for experience or loot. I take my time with every bit of content and the pace fits my desire for a mature game. The growing community is patient and educated, mature and confident. Wiping 10 times on a boss in a dungeon isn't something to be ashamed of, it's a challenge. Release was smooth, with quick additions and bug fixes steadily applied. Since starting, I've turned 5 like-minded friends onto the game and each of them feels the same. This isn't a game to rush through, it's not a game to power level. It does not hold your hand and go over every single detail. Investigation missions send you out into the world to figure things out and adapt. This is the first game in a long time I've felt challenges and expects its players to rise to the challenge. With monthly content updates and a long term plan, more than any other MMO before, I feel like my subscription is well spent. Expand
  42. Aug 22, 2012
    This is the first MMORPG that I really enjoyed in the last 5 years, and I played almost every single MMO out there since Ultima Online!

The history is really amazing, actual and not a tipical franchise of other worlds. Having the history line occurring in a real world and in the current year is just adding icing to the cake. It mixes real history, past myths and secret societies, that feels a mix between lovecraft, the davinci code and the walking dead :)

Combat and gameplay is quite unique, I really enjoy playing it both solo and doing dungeons with other people. There is tons of options to experiment, improve and you are not stuck to once role or skillset, which is great.

I've been playing already for 1 month, many hours every day, and I just can't feel bored anytime. There is so much stuff going on that is overwhelming!

The current score of 72 from Metacritic is just sad, they don't deserve that score, at least they should have a score of 92.
  43. Aug 22, 2012
    This game is a breath of fresh air to me, a dedicated MMO gamer of many years. It's the first game for a long time that a) makes you use your brain, and b) has no stereotypical levelling structures. You have freedom of how you want to skill up your toons. The scriptwriting, dark humour, and cutscenes are awesome. The monthly sub on this is actually a pleasure to pay for me. I have been soThis game is a breath of fresh air to me, a dedicated MMO gamer of many years. It's the first game for a long time that a) makes you use your brain, and b) has no stereotypical levelling structures. You have freedom of how you want to skill up your toons. The scriptwriting, dark humour, and cutscenes are awesome. The monthly sub on this is actually a pleasure to pay for me. I have been so sick of mindless button mashing MMO's for such a long time. Expand
  44. Aug 24, 2012
    A good game, with not too many bugs, and the few bugs I encountered have now been fixed.
    Very nice difference on this game compared to others. Sure a lot is the same (since its an MMO), but compared to some of the other larger ones, there is definitely remarkable differences.
    The investigation missions are fun, some hard, and great. I advise NOT to cheat yourself through them if you
    The investigation missions are fun, some hard, and great.
    I advise NOT to cheat yourself through them if you can. Get some hints? Yah you probably do need that on some of them, but the journey in this game is great.

I have played every major western MMORPG since before that word was coined, and I havn't had as much fun playing them since I did in the days of Asheron's Call, and later the betas and first two years of WoW.

Missions do not feel repeative (even though almost all quests CAN be repeated as often as you like), the world seem great and interesting, and the fact that you can play across all the servers means you always meet good and interesting people to play with.

I've had a lot of "Man, I really enjoy this!" moments in this game so far!
    It definatly gets my stamp of approval.
  45. Aug 25, 2012
    This game is everything I've been waiting for. The storyline and setting sets a mood unlike any other mmo. The potential to social interaction almost outweighs the game itself, with already two online radios organizing live in-game events. The game mechanics are original in almost every aspect and allow you unprecedented freedom in, imagining what your kick ass hero would look like andThis game is everything I've been waiting for. The storyline and setting sets a mood unlike any other mmo. The potential to social interaction almost outweighs the game itself, with already two online radios organizing live in-game events. The game mechanics are original in almost every aspect and allow you unprecedented freedom in, imagining what your kick ass hero would look like and than making it happen in game. Expand
  46. Aug 25, 2012
    Even with it's flaws, The Secret World is definitely worth checking out. I haven't been hooked this much since I first played World Of Warcraft. Try it and love it!
  47. Jun 19, 2013
    This is one of the best MMO's Ive played since WoW. Its a very new fresh feeling of a MMO. I'm really digging it atm.

Steam has it on sale for 50% off so 15 bucks, its also F2P now. Cant lose for 15 bucks.

have fun!
  48. Aug 27, 2012
    Awesome game. The modern day setting, the story line of myths and legends brought to life, the skill system - all of it is a much needed breath of fresh air in an otherwise dull and predictable MMO landscape.
  49. Aug 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some people mention bugs, but when I consider how fresh this awesome MMO is, I would have expected far more. The greatest MMO I have ever tried! YESYESYES... Expand
  50. Oct 11, 2012
    Best. Game. Ever. I would discuss why but it's been said in most of the 10/10's What I would suggest is being wary of many of the really negative reviews. Only because quite a few have been so glaring wrong (and I mean factually as opposed to their opinion) that I doubt they really even played the game. Although a tad expensive I feel the regular content updates coupled With the excellentBest. Game. Ever. I would discuss why but it's been said in most of the 10/10's What I would suggest is being wary of many of the really negative reviews. Only because quite a few have been so glaring wrong (and I mean factually as opposed to their opinion) that I doubt they really even played the game. Although a tad expensive I feel the regular content updates coupled With the excellent concepts coming out of the dev teams really make it worth it's money. On top of this, the content designers are actually listening to the fan and building and implementing what's being asked for. Please note however that this is a very PvE centric game and whilst developers are aiming to improve and expand the PvP content it would not appear to be the main focus. So if roflstomping your fellow man is your bag then you may need to readjust your expectation should you decide to subscribe to the truly excellent The Secret World. Expand
  51. Oct 11, 2012
    If I compare TSW with any other MMO I've played in the last years - this one really captured me. I just recently started with doing Lair bosses and they are a good alternative to the nightmare dungeons or pvp combat zones. I've seen many players coming back from GW2 recently, which I see as a good sign for the future of TSW. With the new game director Joel Bylos there will be many moreIf I compare TSW with any other MMO I've played in the last years - this one really captured me. I just recently started with doing Lair bosses and they are a good alternative to the nightmare dungeons or pvp combat zones. I've seen many players coming back from GW2 recently, which I see as a good sign for the future of TSW. With the new game director Joel Bylos there will be many more features to explore and play with in the next few months - so I will definitly keep on playing that game and no other... Expand
  52. Oct 11, 2012
    It's not a perfect game.... but it's the best game in 2012.. actually is the best MMORPG

why? because it is a MMO ROLE PLAY GAME differently from many other came out under the MMORPG label but that are honestly not ROLE PLAY GAMES a game with only class and no role cannot be considered a RPG it's closer to a FPS then to a RPG (and a bad FPS) I understand the contect wont last in

why?

I understand the contect wont last in the hand of people that play 10 hours a day but for a person that play at a normal peace is a very nice game different and interesting
  53. Oct 13, 2012
    Finally a game that requires real intelligence. a lord fantastic, beautiful graphics.
    If you want a game simple and lightweight go your way. By cons, if you are looking for a deep play and require The secret world is the best game that you can find
  54. Oct 28, 2012
    The Secret World is one of the best MMO experiences I have had to date. The lore and story is very immersive and extremely well done. The voice acting is top notch and really puts you into the story. The skill based system is very interesting, and allows you create a character of your liking. Funcom has also proven that they can delivery content updates and features worthy of theThe Secret World is one of the best MMO experiences I have had to date. The lore and story is very immersive and extremely well done. The voice acting is top notch and really puts you into the story. The skill based system is very interesting, and allows you create a character of your liking. Funcom has also proven that they can delivery content updates and features worthy of the subscription fee. I highly suggest you give this game a try. Expand
  55. Nov 27, 2012
    Its different yes, which also means that it does things differently.

Its different yes, which also means that it does things differently.

So if you are looking for a new WoW clone, then look elsewhere - because this is just so much better than what you are looking for then. This game is among the best games i have played and it is also a solid MMORPG. For once we see innovation in the MMORPG genre and i like it. Graphics are crisps, no performance issues, solid questing system and better storytelling than any other MMO (Maybe SWTOR have better story, but then again that is more of a massive-single-player-RPG). And big thumbs-up for the monthly content updates and bug fixes. Unlike many other, FunCom is very dedicated to correcting and expanding the game. Already after one month old areas was worth a re-visit to see the new stuff. Try it - it is definitely worth your time!
  56. Dec 19, 2012
    A very well thought out, complex game, that continues to be enjoyable even after launch. Excellent Sandbox MMO. End game is starting to come around, PvE is fun and makes you think to solves puzzles. PvP is challenging but still fun.
  57. Jan 2, 2013
    I was debating for weeks if I should get this game due to the reviews. I finally caved and bought it and am very glad I did. I played wow for 8 years and have been searching for a replacement for a long time. I tried countless other mmo's, and nothing could hold my attention for very long no matter how hard I wanted them to (rift, tera, gw2, swtor - the list goes on and on). The graphics,I was debating for weeks if I should get this game due to the reviews. I finally caved and bought it and am very glad I did. I played wow for 8 years and have been searching for a replacement for a long time. I tried countless other mmo's, and nothing could hold my attention for very long no matter how hard I wanted them to (rift, tera, gw2, swtor - the list goes on and on). The graphics, animation, combat, gameplay are all awesome. The weapon and ability customization is killer. The server I am on has tons of people, all with really cool and funny clothing (some even have dogs and cats), and the community is very helpful. Questing is a blast, more fun than I have ever had doing so.

There was a lot of people writing about puzzle quests. This is a very minimal part of the game, and being able to press b for the in game browser makes any quests you get stuck on easy as could be. Just press b, type in google: tsw and instantly the first result is a site that shows you exactly what to do, but like i said, you will not need it often.

If they keep adding on to this game it could easily become one of the best mmo's around. I would easily have paid a sub fee for this game. This is by far the most fun I have had playing an MMO. I like it so much that I was compelled to write a review for it - something I have never done before for any game, but I really wanted to get it out there to others how much fun it is.

So if you are sitting there like I was, reading 1000 reviews wondering if you should get it - do it!
  58. Jan 7, 2013
    The best MMO I ever played (I have long background in Legends of Mir, Guild Ways, SWTOR). Interesting storyline, quests that are so different from standard (go to location X and kill 100 worms), interesting combat and character upgrade system. Really worth checking especially since now it's B2P, you pay once and pay for ever (ok, later you may want to buy DLCs, but it's up to you like in GW).
  59. Jun 5, 2013
    I just got back into this after a 10month hiatus. Whatever problems there may have been at the launch are gone. Funcom has done a great job of addressing many of the issues and has even provided additional changes to improve upon the user experience of the game. secondly, the world is just amazing. I'm really tired of JR Tolkien's environment (ok, it's still awesome) and this was a greatI just got back into this after a 10month hiatus. Whatever problems there may have been at the launch are gone. Funcom has done a great job of addressing many of the issues and has even provided additional changes to improve upon the user experience of the game. secondly, the world is just amazing. I'm really tired of JR Tolkien's environment (ok, it's still awesome) and this was a great opportunity for CHANGE.

There is a learning curve, but that comes with anything that's different. i.e. Windows 8.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    Skeptical like most the people about the game i waited and bought it on sale about 3-4 days ago. Now I played plenty mmo's in my time to their respective endgame content .(WoW,WH:O,Tera,GW,GW2,NWO,AoC,FFXI,Rift) And i have to say this game was a refreshing addition, Not only the leveling is engaging and interesting the atmosphere of the game is great and on point, and if your playing withSkeptical like most the people about the game i waited and bought it on sale about 3-4 days ago. Now I played plenty mmo's in my time to their respective endgame content .(WoW,WH:O,Tera,GW,GW2,NWO,AoC,FFXI,Rift) And i have to say this game was a refreshing addition, Not only the leveling is engaging and interesting the atmosphere of the game is great and on point, and if your playing with a friend is even better! I admit i only have about 24 hours in but as of now i would have gladly played full retail i bought in game points to contribute Expand
  61. Nov 13, 2014
    IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF FREE TIME, you're VERY PATIENT, and DETERMINED, you will find yourself immersed in a dark, gloomy world that will make you feel immersed & excited just to be there. This game is very heavy on special effects, not necessarily polygon count, but actual effects and lighting, to the point where your graphics card might actually not be able to handle it. However, if youIF YOU HAVE A LOT OF FREE TIME, you're VERY PATIENT, and DETERMINED, you will find yourself immersed in a dark, gloomy world that will make you feel immersed & excited just to be there. This game is very heavy on special effects, not necessarily polygon count, but actual effects and lighting, to the point where your graphics card might actually not be able to handle it. However, if you have dual GPUs, this game looks gorgeous on max, the lighting & special effects make it really a treat unlike any other MMO I've seen.

As far as the abilities go, it's a little bit clunky since the indication of using skills is not exactly clear, you will probably find yourself button mashing a few times to make sure you used an ability. Once you get beyond that though, you'll find a multitude of hauntingly beautiful stories and puzzles to solve, with a plethora of cut-scenes, and the atmosphere is chilling.

THERE ARE NO "CHARACTER LEVELS" *BUT* there IS a lot of "LEVELING" of SKILLS, so it's indirectly saying yes you have to level, just not officially saying it. You choose general weapons from shotgun, assault rifle, swords, magic (chaos/blood), and get new spells/abilities as you level up, your choice as to what skills. There's also miscellaneous skills to get such as taunt for "tanks" and heals, but it's all up to you as to what you want to get. There are pre-set templates though to use if you want a guide. Eventually you CAN get every skill on one character, so you don't need to level more than one character.

The nice thing about the world in this game is it's modeled exactly after the real-life cities & towns, so it's like you are actually there, plus the gloom and doom of demons & zombies of course, but you might find your house if you happen to live in one of those areas in real life, that's how close it resembles the real thing.

I have not actually gone very deep into the game, even though I've had the game for a while now, because I'm a big WoW player and League of Legends player, and have other things as well, so haven't had as much "urge" to play this game, but I get around to it every now and then. If I had some friends to play with it would be 10x more awesome, but for now I just play it solo and it's fine for a few puzzles / quests here and there just to get my end-of-the-world zombie apocalypse fix.

They just added a new area: Tokyo, and I heard it's really fun.

There's also PvP, but again I'm very newbish and can't even hold a stick against the enemy team. All in all, if you have little cash to spend, this is a good game if you have a lot of time & maybe a friend to come with you, but make sure you go in with an open mind and you try to actually immerse yourself, otherwise you'll take it at face value & it won't be fun to you.
  62. Nov 23, 2013
    i played many mmo's and this is the most innovative i've ever played. the game is not perfect but it DESERVES a 10.

If like me you can't force yourself to go back to your wow account because when you play it again you're bored because it's always the same stuff, and because it is now a "fast food rpg", secret world is for you. Plus, the maps are well done, the voice acting is

Plus, the maps are well done, the voice acting is immersive, the quests are interesting (and you can skip the (rare) "kill x mobs" quests if you want. The dungeons are well made (interesting boss fights, no 999 trash mobs the xp system is great too you do what you want, not like some mmo's where leveling is automatic ...

a fresh breeze in the world of wow and wow-clones
  63. Nov 29, 2013
    This is an AWESOME MMO! The one thing I have seen that may turn off some players is that this is NOT an easy game that holds your hand like WOW does for example, it's actually challenging. And that is why I love this game. One unique thing that I like is how you can change roles from healer to tank to DPS by simply switching builds...if you so choose. Heh...just DPS alone has tons ofThis is an AWESOME MMO! The one thing I have seen that may turn off some players is that this is NOT an easy game that holds your hand like WOW does for example, it's actually challenging. And that is why I love this game. One unique thing that I like is how you can change roles from healer to tank to DPS by simply switching builds...if you so choose. Heh...just DPS alone has tons of choices as to how you want to DPS....pure caster, pure melee, ranged or any combination of those. Although some may argue, there is no cookie cutter build that everyone and their dog is using. It's more a matter of preference.

And the story line is AMAZING...if you take the time to follow it.
  64. Jul 21, 2012
    The game has received very good reviews of the most serious reviewers. Young reviewers focusing on pure war and details of this - has given the poor.

Browsing the pages: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/more_reviews_previews_and_interview and http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/check_out_the_latest_previews and http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

Browsing the pages:
    and
    and

The game has received good feedback because players enjoy the game. All of the game is unique in terms of MMO.

The game is best suited for those who like good stories, good graphics and sound. Combined with the mission, sabotage and so on.
  65. Jul 16, 2012
    I have been playing my share of mmos going back to 1999 and Everquest. Played almost all major titles since. These days my time are at a premium and I am a lot more picky about what games I play. Thankfully FunCom has made a great game which is truly worth my time, my only concern is that is hard to explain to my GF when it ends...

The good: Smooth gameplay Requires thinking,

The good:
    Smooth gameplay
    Requires thinking, innovative analytic skills and knowledge
    REALLY scary
    Immersive
    Great atmosphere
    Fun combat that require that you pay attention and use the right skills while moving
    Super flexible skill system

The Bad:
    Slightly cluncky feel due to animations
    Not enough customization at start

The Ugly:
    Nothing

This game looks like a strong contender for my personal game of the year. ME3 and D3 were huge let downs, not expecting much from GW2. Only game close so far is crusader kings2 which is a hidden gem.
  66. Jul 10, 2012
    I've been waiting for this game for over three years and it has not disappointed. The setting, story concept, design, and character skill customization is unlike anything else out there. I would highly recommend this to any MMO player especially to those who are looking for an MMO to come back to.
  67. Dec 25, 2012
    Storyline in this game is truly excellent and now that it requires no subscription and costs about $25, there's simply no reason not to try this (even if you are not into MMOs in general, just for the quests, story and setting).
  68. Dec 17, 2012
    A really great alternative to the current blockbuster MMO's. Its a great mechanics and an awesome story.. well worth the new price point - and now subscription free which gives this 'new' TSW a perfect 10.
  69. Jul 31, 2012
    This is an MMO for MMO fans. It is a breath of fresh air in a genre still unable to shake off the dominant MMO model pioneered by Everquest in 1999. The story is excellent and engaging and is worth the price of admission alone. While character advancement is in essence the same concept as all the other EQ clones, it takes a free-form approach by taking out artificial limitations such asThis is an MMO for MMO fans. It is a breath of fresh air in a genre still unable to shake off the dominant MMO model pioneered by Everquest in 1999. The story is excellent and engaging and is worth the price of admission alone. While character advancement is in essence the same concept as all the other EQ clones, it takes a free-form approach by taking out artificial limitations such as character level and class, to let you progress your character in the way that you want. It is a deep, complex and rewarding system, and it works. If you enjoy questing or want to enjoy questing, this game will blow you away. If you enjoy "theory-crafting" and min/maxing you character this game will floor you with its complexity and freedom. Expand
  70. Aug 2, 2012
    Disclaimer: People WILL either HATE or LOVE this game(With capital characters intended). Please don't let your opinion become guided by those of others, give it a try before giving your final personal conclusion.

The secret world is one of the few(if not the only) MMO's that sucked me into it, it has the best story of any MMO I have seen this far. True, there are some issues but the friendly customer support is more than happy to assist. I absolutely love the way that the missions are designed, they require you to actually think or try to learn you something. The world is designed to make sure that there is always something to do, something to explore and something new to learn regarding the story. If you love to "think" and enjoy a good story, the game is definitely worth a try. The Secret World is clearly a different than the avarage MMO.
  71. Aug 6, 2012
    My first MMO was world of warcraft. I played it to much for the first 2 years, then on and off for many years to come. Recently I have been playing EVE online- it's a nice change of pace from feeling one has to log on everyday. The Secret World however has awakened the gamer within this 30+ old gamer. I want to play all the time. Though work and family has to come first. Therefor I amMy first MMO was world of warcraft. I played it to much for the first 2 years, then on and off for many years to come. Recently I have been playing EVE online- it's a nice change of pace from feeling one has to log on everyday. The Secret World however has awakened the gamer within this 30+ old gamer. I want to play all the time. Though work and family has to come first. Therefor I am happy to say that TSW does not demand to much of a commitment. I would say it appeals to casual and hardcore gamers all over the world. Expand
  72. Aug 7, 2012
    The Secret World is an engaging and entertaining MMO, with a strong focus on story telling, and they actually succeed very well with that. Every NPC in the game feels special, and you look forward to talking to them. The voice acting is brilliant, and every quest feels meaningful, although you don't really change anything in the world.
  73. Jul 16, 2012
    There is something special about a game where the immersion is so complete you simply take for granted that you are going to need Google for some help or call in some intel after a boss fight to let your Faction / Society know what you've been doing. It is a brilliant game with some minor flaws that can be easily fixed and the player base that I have encountered, is very smart and astuteThere is something special about a game where the immersion is so complete you simply take for granted that you are going to need Google for some help or call in some intel after a boss fight to let your Faction / Society know what you've been doing. It is a brilliant game with some minor flaws that can be easily fixed and the player base that I have encountered, is very smart and astute at keeping the game flowing and keeping it real when it comes to PUGs. The way you can manipulate your character means you never ever will be concerned that you want to re-spec or that you wish you chose a different class. You can be all 'classes' eventually. As for 'leveling' well there is none in the truest sense. But unlike other MMO's as you get further into the content the XP flows like water and you actually progress FASTER in character Skill points and Ability points.! It's a breathe of fresh, 'un-grinding' air to have it this way. The Secret World has a lot to offer and takes you down the rabbit hole in a way few other games ever will. It has my full attention for gaming right now and that is a very hard thing to do because I enjoy so many facets of the hobby. Buy this game and enjoy yourself, I have a feeling the 'noobie' zones will even be quite full for a good long time. Expand
  74. Jul 6, 2012
    When someone that has no interest in MMO's can be converted to invest in a life time package...after playing 2 betas? I think that says it all. The game isn't perfect, don't come in thinking it's perfect and there isn't any issues...but for a game of this magnitude and ambition, there are always going to be bumps on the road. This game doesn't deserve anything less then a 9. With some ofWhen someone that has no interest in MMO's can be converted to invest in a life time package...after playing 2 betas? I think that says it all. The game isn't perfect, don't come in thinking it's perfect and there isn't any issues...but for a game of this magnitude and ambition, there are always going to be bumps on the road. This game doesn't deserve anything less then a 9. With some of the rubbish that has come out lately, here you have a game that has bent some rules and really tries to engage players with story/atmosphere - but also kept some things neutral to try and build a broader base. Expand
  75. Jul 6, 2012
    An MMorpg that makes you think instead of followiing markers all day long. An atmosspehere that lures you deeper and deeper into the rabbithole. Quests that make you do research on the internet by using an ingamebrowser on RL topics and history. Standart kill and collect quests that never feel boring but instead add small pices of the overall puzzle. exeptional grafical presentation forAn MMorpg that makes you think instead of followiing markers all day long. An atmosspehere that lures you deeper and deeper into the rabbithole. Quests that make you do research on the internet by using an ingamebrowser on RL topics and history. Standart kill and collect quests that never feel boring but instead add small pices of the overall puzzle. exeptional grafical presentation for the genre. A levelless enviroment with 90% repeatable questes in 8 zones right from the start - which mmo gave me that much endcontend right at release? No classes - everyone can play whatever he likes and change his mind about that at any time without having to reroll an alt. 3 fraction PvP.
    Over all: This game is FUN!

Forget all you learned about MMORPG´s - this game does a lot of things a little differend and that in a good way. You´ll need to learn to play it instead of following routines from genre collegues. Take your time and enjoy.
  76. Jul 26, 2012
    Ignore the early reviews that are rating it on a few small issues. This game is getting fairly large content updates on a monthly basis and within six months all these issues should be worked out. The second update is bringing raids and they've already announced two entire new zones being added in. The game will only get better and more stacked with content.
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    I am absolutely blown away by this game. Its not perfect people! In fact, there are quite a bit hiccups that need to be ironed out. And I believe they will be. PvP is not very engaging or thought out, but again, Im sure that will be addressed. Seriously though, I have never been so immersed in a game like this one. When im not playing, I daydreaming about playing. The Story, theI am absolutely blown away by this game. Its not perfect people! In fact, there are quite a bit hiccups that need to be ironed out. And I believe they will be. PvP is not very engaging or thought out, but again, Im sure that will be addressed. Seriously though, I have never been so immersed in a game like this one. When im not playing, I daydreaming about playing. The Story, the quests, the atmosphere, even the combat are excellent. At first, I was a little worried about what I had invested in. Not more than an hour later, I had a completely different view. I love being able to yield a gun and magic. The options for your choice of weapons are so diverse. And come on, its got Zombies!!! I've even had a great experience with the other players when I've asked for help, or needed something. I'm a lifer now, and I have no doubt that I will not lose interest in this game anytime soon. Expand
  78. Jul 12, 2012
    This game rocks. Some obnoxious bugs, but I'm still drawn to playing it regardless. The story is good, the progression paths and power levels are very well done, and the PvE content can be very challenging which forces you to be a better player to prosper. Also looking forward to their promised monthly content updates; I'll be playing this for a long time to come.
  79. Jul 6, 2012
    It is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrillIt is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrill shriek. Love how it tests my wits, the many little easter eggs and as many have pointed out; the overall experience. 10/10! Expand
  80. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has consumed me completely since I first logged in. I find the story, the atmosphere, the characters incredibly engaging. Unlike other MMOs I am not grinding mindlessly because it's needed to achieve some trophy, but rather enjoying the journey. The secret world is played in a slightly different way than other MMOs, perhaps at a slower pace, enjoying the scenery as you go. PayingThis game has consumed me completely since I first logged in. I find the story, the atmosphere, the characters incredibly engaging. Unlike other MMOs I am not grinding mindlessly because it's needed to achieve some trophy, but rather enjoying the journey. The secret world is played in a slightly different way than other MMOs, perhaps at a slower pace, enjoying the scenery as you go. Paying attention to detail is necessary to succeed. If you are expecting another WoW you will be frustrated by the challenging puzzles. Otherwise, I recommend the secret world to each and every one of you. Expand
  81. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has caught me by surprise. I've been an avid MMO player since way before World of Warcraft came out and I've pretty much tried them all. For me Funcom has finally brought something fresh and new to the genre. I liked the first part of Age of Conan for example, but the game got dull fast and wasn't particulary anything fantastic. The Secret World is refreshing and has a differentThis game has caught me by surprise. I've been an avid MMO player since way before World of Warcraft came out and I've pretty much tried them all. For me Funcom has finally brought something fresh and new to the genre. I liked the first part of Age of Conan for example, but the game got dull fast and wasn't particulary anything fantastic. The Secret World is refreshing and has a different feel than most other MMOs I've played so far. I'm also a fan of the mystic horror-esque genre and the tons of references they've put into the game. If you're a fan of Lovecraft, Gaiman, Supernatural or similiar, I think you'll like TSWs writing. The combat isn't anything new, but it works. The animations are abit stiff at first but after a while you stop noticing it. The graphics are very good at max. I love the way the skills and "levels" work here in TSW and the story is absolutely fantastic. Writing is suberb, voice acting is way better than The Old Republic, and the quests are both engaging ang surprisingly smart. I can't recommend this game enough to people that are interested in this kind of stuff. Prepare to use your brain and google. Expand
  82. Jul 6, 2012
    Secret World brings back the hope and innovation to stagnating market. Funcom took risks and we are seeing heck of a pay off both for gamers and investors. Secret World is simply gamer's game. It solves decade old MMORPG challanges with creativity destroying griding, abolishing quest redundancy by bringing real life game interaction and requiring gamers to think outside the box. Good jobSecret World brings back the hope and innovation to stagnating market. Funcom took risks and we are seeing heck of a pay off both for gamers and investors. Secret World is simply gamer's game. It solves decade old MMORPG challanges with creativity destroying griding, abolishing quest redundancy by bringing real life game interaction and requiring gamers to think outside the box. Good job Funcom !!! Expand
  83. Jul 7, 2012
    Stunning RPG and 90% positive reviews just confirms how good the game is.

Giving it a 10 would mean it is perfect, it isn't but nothing is. By far the best launch of a modern big game in past few years .. just think Skyrim steam issues, Diablo 3 servers .. and for single player games at that. If money is no object, get it. If you are a conspiracy nut or like X-files, its a must
    Stunning RPG and 90% positive reviews just confirms how good the game is.

If money is no object, get it. If you are a conspiracy nut or like X-files, its a must really. Scary in places, creepy, immersive, graphics are stunning, like being part of a good thriller.
  84. Jul 7, 2012
    I have 32 years of gaming experience,video and PnP,and this is NOT a standard MMO.You actually have to read,investigate,and pay attention.About time there's a modern day MMO,and about time the combat lets you run n gun instead of getting rooted when you use an ability.I love it!
  85. Jul 7, 2012
    An incredibly intriguing game that blows away the self-imposed limitations of the MMORPG genre. It won't appeal to everyone.. some players might be unwilling (or unable) to bring more than button-mashing skills to the table. With every ability in reach of every player, and a geometric explosion of potential interactions between them, you will spend a portion of your game time justAn incredibly intriguing game that blows away the self-imposed limitations of the MMORPG genre. It won't appeal to everyone.. some players might be unwilling (or unable) to bring more than button-mashing skills to the table. With every ability in reach of every player, and a geometric explosion of potential interactions between them, you will spend a portion of your game time just perusing the possibilities. Now, there are defined roles.. The Secret World kept the mechanic of 'aggro', so tanks, healers, and DPS still exist. The main difference is that anyone can be any of the three, with a simple click to change the active gear and abilities to be used, at any point outside of combat. And soloers will be able to create hybrids with just the right mix of the three concepts for their playstyle.

A concerted effort has been made to offer a challenge while completing missions. A vague outline of 'kill 10 rats' is all that is left, with the vast majority of assignments involving deduction, exploration, and an occasional Internet search of both real and alternate-reality websites. You don't have to continue wishing for something 'new'.. something 'better'.. something 'more challenging'. It's here.

It's The Secret World.
  86. Jul 7, 2012
    As a 35+ year old player who started back in EQ, I've been shopping for a game that captures what seems to have been missing from a lot of AAA titles the last few years. Then along came The Secret World. After the first four hours I immediately bought a life time subscription, THIS was the game I've been searching for.
    Questing is not a chore, in fact, questing in TSW is smart,
    Questing is not a chore, in fact, questing in TSW is smart, refreshing, and adds to your lore knowledge of the overall sweeping plot. Leveling up puts you in the driver seat. Although daunting at first because of the amount of options it's easily picked up. When I'm actually not playing the game I find myself thinking about different build types and fun combinations to try out. There is no cookie cutter correct build, it all works and even though there are "Decks" Funcom has created to model how leveling can work, the really good Decks are the ones you create.
    The story, the lore, the fun. When you step into the starter area Kingsmouth, you're immediately pulled into atmospherically rich story. Like an entertaining book, the lore does an amazing job with rich, deep, smartly written storytelling. When you add in the "investigation" quests which require you to use your brain and open up the built in Google Browser. Research, deduction, and perseverance will allow you to solve one of the best features of the TSW.
    Combat in the game is similar to other MMO's however its dynamic combat similar to Tera. You have to pay attention to the monsters, dodge attacks, and learn to constantly move. Funcom has not dumbed down any of the enemies to make this an MMO with hand holding. Learning is usually through the school of hard knocks and expect to die, a lot. But, that's part of the fun!

One word of caution, this game really means "M" for Mature players. Language, sexual situations, brutal violence means this game is meant for adults.

Solid 10 out of 10. Do yourself a favor, pick this game up, you wont regret it.
  87. Jul 7, 2012
    The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance,The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance, it requires human beings to use their brains, and think about what they're doing. No hand holding, no compromises, and a story that makes Bioware look pathetic are what ties this game together, flaws and all. Sure, there are launch bugs, there are some quests that loop, but they are but small smudges on the beautiful tapestry that Funcom has woven. This is what Age of Conan should have been, and now we have the first modern day MMORPG that firmly looks at critics who prefer spoon fed versions of World of Warcraft and spits in their faces. Go on, give it a 60, give it a low user score, only the ignorant would throw stones at their superior's. Expand
  88. Jul 19, 2012
    What I like about this game is that it's so different than any other MMO I've played and I have just about played them all. I had almost given up on the entire MMO genre until stumbling onto TSW. This game is a shinning gem in a sea of turd filled mediocrity.

Honestly though, I don't feel like reading a review does this game any justice at all. The only way to truly understand how good this game is is to try it out. After the previous stinkbombs that have been released lately (I'm looking at you SWTOR) I fully understand someone waiting until a free trial is released before playing any MMO. But I have to say, if you are remotely intereseted in a modern world, no cookie cutter FOTM classes, NO ELVES OR ORCS and most of all fun then pull the trigger. That being said, if you do try out this game give it some time because initially the ability system does seem really odd and really confusing but once you delve into this game it's quite impressive. If I were to change anything about the game I would change the first time players introduction to the game. I really did feel lost for a bit.
  89. Jul 20, 2012
    Just registered to say, that the game is the most enjoyable mmo experience in the last years. In some ways, the game reminds on the "old" style mmo, like anarchy online or eve online, where you have myriads on options for character development. I like especially the instances, the investigation quests, the lore, the setting, the lovely crafted environment, the graphics. Oh, wait, I loveJust registered to say, that the game is the most enjoyable mmo experience in the last years. In some ways, the game reminds on the "old" style mmo, like anarchy online or eve online, where you have myriads on options for character development. I like especially the instances, the investigation quests, the lore, the setting, the lovely crafted environment, the graphics. Oh, wait, I love the whole experience. Expand
  90. Aug 10, 2012
    The Secret World is what I have been searching for. It combines the sensitivities and fascinating world-building of an adventure game with the complexities and social tools of an MMOG. The Universe is top notch, Funcom's storytelling at it's finest. The game mechanics (particularly character customization) may not be as excitingly new as some people seem to think they should be, butThe Secret World is what I have been searching for. It combines the sensitivities and fascinating world-building of an adventure game with the complexities and social tools of an MMOG. The Universe is top notch, Funcom's storytelling at it's finest. The game mechanics (particularly character customization) may not be as excitingly new as some people seem to think they should be, but they are solid and fit the game.

I especially appreciate that the narrative the player goes through does not try to convince the player that he is "special". You are a soldier, one of many, and it is not surprising that there are a bunch of people running around doing the same work you are.

The game is not without its faults. Lag in PvP and a handful of other irritating bugs keep this game from being a 10, for now. However, with the fast roll-out of updates planned for the game, I am confident many of these complaints will be fixed, and look forward to spending many years in the Secret World.
  91. Aug 10, 2012
    i consider myself addicted to the MMORPG genre having to play just about every new one that comes out. The Secret World is a fresh modern day take on the genre. i started playing during the last couple of betas, pre-ordered, and signed on for lifetime a week into the games launch. the game has seen significant improvement over time and can only get better with monthly content updates.i consider myself addicted to the MMORPG genre having to play just about every new one that comes out. The Secret World is a fresh modern day take on the genre. i started playing during the last couple of betas, pre-ordered, and signed on for lifetime a week into the games launch. the game has seen significant improvement over time and can only get better with monthly content updates. would be a perfect 10 if it weren't for PvP issues and a mission bug here and there, but they are very minor issues. Expand
  92. Aug 10, 2012
    Although not for everyone, the secret world is possibly the best mmo released since world of warcraft.
    It does play differently then many of the MMO's released to date, it's more difficult to understand the concept of the classless ability system (skill wheel) but when you get it the possibilities are almost endless.

Buy it and try it for atleast a month, you won't regret it.
  93. Aug 10, 2012
    I've been playing MMO's since 1998, and spent the best part of ten years playing Ultima Online, so I am as you might imagine a firm fan of Sandboxes. That said, The Secret World is one of the best online gameplay experiences I have had the pleasure of experiencing, and it terms of Theme Parks is top dog in my view.
    The story, the voice acting, the graphics, the theme and setting, the
    The story, the voice acting, the graphics, the theme and setting, the sheer number of builds I can play with... all fantastic. The game does have it's flaws and still needs some polish here and there, but if it keeps growing and more content gets added it will become a juggernaut in time.
    I also have a great deal of faith in Ragnar, Joel, Martin and co who developed the game. I am sure they will continue to improve the game and deliver an awesome experience.
  94. Aug 10, 2012
    I do not like to write reviews, but for this game I will make an exception.
    This game is exceedingly good. The design is phenomenal; all the way from the combat system to the manner in which the missions (or quests are performed).
    When playing this game, you can clearly see and feel the level hard work, thought and creation put into The Secret World. It is clearly a labor of love. I
    I do not like to write reviews, but for this game I will make an exception.
    I enjoy coming home from work and being able to sit down and actually be *challenged* in a game, unlike any game I've played since back in the days of vanilla WoW.
    It does have a few bugs, like any game during first release, but not nearly in such quantity as usually found in new MMOs.

I do not like to write reviews and I do not care to read "critic" reviews, as most of us know and understand that money plays a part in how their reviews are formed.

I want to stand up for this game. It's one of the best games I've ever played. It does NOT deserve the bad reviews that have been released; which clearly will result in a lot of hurt and disappointment.
    This game is wonderful and I plan to keep playing.
    I should note too, no one has *PAID* me to say this.
  95. Aug 12, 2012
    Aside from the brilliant setting, atmosphere and story, what makes me love this game is the gear and ability system. The sheer gaming joy of going through all the options and choosing the 7 actives and 7 passives suiting my style and preferences is unparalelled IMO. Currently I have 8 setups of gear and abilites stored, incorporating pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, chaos magic, bloodAside from the brilliant setting, atmosphere and story, what makes me love this game is the gear and ability system. The sheer gaming joy of going through all the options and choosing the 7 actives and 7 passives suiting my style and preferences is unparalelled IMO. Currently I have 8 setups of gear and abilites stored, incorporating pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, chaos magic, blood magic and elementalism (I'm not too keen on melee). One of these is for soloing some very hard mobs dropping signets (more on these in a bit), and I made it after trying tons of combinations, trying and failing until I found one that worked. In most other MMO's, you only have the choice of one of the 2-3 cookie cutter builds your class offers (SWtOR, I'm looking at you). I have 3 different builds I change between while doing nightmare difficulty dungeons, one for single target dps and two for AoE. The variations are seemingly endless.

Then there is the gear. You choose yourself if you want to focus on healing, damage or raw health. Then you soon find out you need to put glyphs in your gear, and choose whether to emphasize hit rating, critical hits, evade, damage mitigation, etc., or whatever combination of the possible effects that most synergize with your build. When you get to the best gear, quality level 10, you get signet slots added to the mix. These can be straight up +2 % damage to pistols etc., or a variety of proc-type effects, and again you nee to find the ones the most fitting to your build. For people like me, with a constantly wandering mind and urge to explore and try new things all the time, this is character customization heaven. Besting other people's builds in pvp is of course even more fun.

Considering the above, and that the game have hardly any bugs, and that Funcom have promised new content on a monthly basis, I have no qualms about rating this game a 10.
  96. Aug 13, 2012
    No classes, no levels, total user choice of how to play the character, not fixed roles, stunning visual in DX11, missions that you need to use brain to complete, 3 faction pvp with a persistent zone and facton buffs... very good game
  97. Jul 18, 2012
    Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game.Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game. Everything from the main quest to the side-quests has an engrossing story.

The 550 or so abilities you have to choose from gives the game a strategic twist, since it becomes increasingly important to have a good build. You can also quickly swap roles from a healer to a damage dealer without much effort. The combat itself involves hitting a lot of 1, 1, 1, 2 etc. like other mmorpgs, so it might not be as different as some have hoped. The concept of builders and consumers are pretty good, but not completely new. The underlying abilities/mechanics however are very good.

There is a main storyline leading you from the beginning to the end, something that gives you a good overview of the locations. It is also well written, and exciting, weaving old legends and history into the story.

The thing I think I like the most are the investigation missions, where you have to google for clues about ancient history, mysteries etc. You can even use the in-game browser. The fact that you have to think, and that aha! moments that follow really makes this something else. There are some bugs, but this has impacted my enjoyment very little. Some quests have been bugged, but some have been fixed in patches, and others have worked when I came back. Since mmorpgs are living games, and these issues are being worked on, I won't really detract anything from the score.

For those worrying about the longevity of this game, don't. There will be monthly updates with new content, mechanics etc. I've gotten my lifetime subscription, will you?
  98. X0R
    Aug 1, 2012
    This is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issuesThis is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issues that I expect a new MMO launch to have, but none ever frustrate me or make me want to quit - I need to take a week off from work to soak it up. Expand
  99. Jul 27, 2012
    This game was quite the surprise for me. First of this is a game by Funcom, which doesn
  100. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in orderIt is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  101. Jul 9, 2012
    I really tried to like this game. I can usually forgive a newly launched game a few bugs, but this is too much. I consistently felt that the developers were in over their heads, and trying to dress up five year old graphics. Animations are crude. The game crashed regularly (on a new machine). Occasionally I got dropped into a no mans land with nothing to do but restart. Combine that withI really tried to like this game. I can usually forgive a newly launched game a few bugs, but this is too much. I consistently felt that the developers were in over their heads, and trying to dress up five year old graphics. Animations are crude. The game crashed regularly (on a new machine). Occasionally I got dropped into a no mans land with nothing to do but restart. Combine that with game mechanics that feel awkward, even cut and pasted, and the few "innovations" of the game mean little. I tried several decks. Gradually, you realize they all function exactly the same way (no matter your build, you keep doing the same things). I also tried each faction, but found that they are all essentially the same (even the "decks" are exactly the same; you would think each faction would have its own type of character builds, but no: "cut and pasted"). The so-called "puzzle" gameplay is just a novelty. It gets old, like the rest of the game. I had lots of fun with their "Age of Conan", so this was a real disappointment. I do not see this game surviving long. Collapse

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.