8.2

1. Aug 9, 2012
    The Secret World is finally, FINALLY something a little bit refreshing. There are LOTS of MMOs that are so similiar to each other, that despite being entirely "new" they bore me out of my mind during the first hour of gameplay... And in theory those are games for MONTHS! The Secret World has an uniqe character developement (it's selling point) which is simply quite simple and is both item and skill oriented. You need to carefully decide what to equip and you can shift between healer, dps or tank. You can switch quickly any moment or choose an average in all of those. Story is VERY entertaining and there are many quests and they never REQUIRE you to grind anything - unless you like to yourself. Expand
  2. Aug 13, 2012
    The atmosphere and aesthetics of this game are just through the roof compared with any other MMORPG I've played. The scenery, the NPCs, the quests are all truly very well done - and the investigation quests are of old-school puzzle RPG complexity and will really force you to think out of the box. The flexibility of the classless ability wheel provides for a ton of on-the-fly gameplay variety (and you'll need to use it and swap abilities in and out later in the game). Combat is fun and dynamic, where positioning matters versus most mobs - they'll use AoE effects you should dodge, plenty of options to break LOS to mobs with cast time abilities, and versus groups you can line them up so they get in each other's way and only a few can hit you at a time. The instances are very fun and rewarding, with interesting boss mechanics and hardly any trash mobs. And the classless system means it is really easy for people to jump into tank and healer roles so you can form a viable group. Expand
  3. Aug 10, 2012
    This game REALLY shines in its creativity on gameplay, story line and ability to get you hooked! The system on abilities are out of this world, the possibilities are almost endless! and the game wants you too pursue how you like to play with your character not needing to play what the game needs you to play. There are so much they can add later on to the game, the world are so open with possibilities and they have already launched a monthly content pack! No MMORPG have this kind of content flow, and i'm positive that Funcom will deliver months and months on. Thank you Funcom for this great game, and too bad for my wife that you made it.... Expand
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is what has been missing from the MMO space for a very long time. It feels like forever since I've played a game that has captured my interest as much, a game that challenges the brain as well as telling a compelling story. It's not a game for you if you like to power level (levels are largely irrelevant) or if you hate to watch cut scenes, but if you want to play something that doesn't treat you like an idiot, check this out.

The combat is simple to grasp the basics of, but displays its true versatility when exploring the range of complementary skills. Over time it deepens and broadens your range of options, forcing the player to adapt as the play field difficulty ramps up. While there have been rumblings that combat is over simplistic, that's an illusion; it's as complex as you want it to be, and necessitates experimentation.

Again, this is not your game if you don't like to make choices, or you want a "one size fits all" play style.

The environments are broad and challenging, with a good variety of mission types. It's not an all you can eat buffet, with a stack of quests you pile up to munch through, it's a stride through a roaring market where you sample what takes your fancy as you take in the spectacle. The system of tiered missions encourages exploration and avoids leading you by the nose while still displaying the play fields to best advantage.

No need to emphasis the quality of the cut-scenes and the story, as the most biased of Nay Sayers have been unable to find fault with either of these features. I could go on, but the review is already too long and I want to get back to playing...
  5. Aug 10, 2012
    One of the best mmorpg i have played in years. Top notch atmosphere, great cut scenes and graphics which put every other game to shame.
    Combat is really brilliant, i needed some time to get used to the new mechanics, but after then it wasn't the typical button smashing anymore. It was like playing a genius card game.
    Enemies and Mobs are good, nice AI, and interesting special moves. You
    have to move sometimes. The dungeons are not a cakewalk either. But the best thing are the missions. I never played better or more interesting missions in all my game life (20+years), they are hard and they are good. And nothing can offer you more adventure,mystery and horror. The writing is on par with top movies. Expand
  6. Aug 10, 2012
    I really wasn't sold on the Secret World, but I find myself happily surprised by its maturity, intelligence, and interest in offering players something new. The Secret World has ...
    ... top of the line writing (on par with the best non-MMO PC games out there),
    ... top of the line voice acting (see above, so much so that most of the game's characters are already stuck in my mind, as any
    other film character would),
    ... great pop culture references (that don't go over-board),
    ... an excellent variety of quest types (puzzles, grinds, investigations, etc.),
    ... a fantastic mood (love the 'Siren Song' mission for instance, with that heartbreaking half-transformed unfortunate lost in the sewers),
    ... a great look,
    ... excellent dashes of humor (be they in the writing, in the acting, in the animations -- love all those sad-funny-pathetic zombie animations--, or in the audio design -- love those coughing monsters, etc),
    ... a keen interest in offering gamers a multifaceted take on non-western cultures and protagonists,
    ... a very rich universe ("very" is a misnomer of course, as there's a quasi infinite variety of tales to tackle),
    ... an open skill system that let's you decide how you want to play your character,
    ... a combat system that stands out as it requires gamers finesse and preparation,
    ... and loads of room to grow.

Really the best modern MMO out there, one that offers a rich mythology, and a stable environment in which to explore it, after only a month live!

The game is stable, with only a few minor bugs, and a crew of dedicated, experienced devs.

The game's not for everyone, but if you are curious, and in the mood for game design that stands out for trying to and succeeding at offering new things to the tired MMO world, give "The Secret World" a chance.
  7. Aug 10, 2012
    At first, I didn't like The Secret World (TSW) when I tried it in Beta, mostly for it's controls. Man I hated those controls.

However, there were many things I did enjoy. The story, the environment, the graphics, and the customization, all of which are spectacular.

Last week, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller, and let me tell you, what
    a difference that made! My initial misgivings over the controls were quickly forgotten, and I was quickly able to get back to enjoying what was truly important about the game.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys games with good storylines, or games with good graphics, or games set in a modern, realistic environment. Additionally, if you are a fan of puzzles and figuring out complex mysteries, this game is totally for you!

Right now, the game is still new, so some bugs and gliches are to be expected. However, those will be overcome in time. Patience is a key when jumping into a new MMO. But in the case of TSW, that patience will pay off.
  8. Rye
    Aug 10, 2012
    This game is refreshing. You do not have 42 active skills/spells to deal with on your hot bar. Instead you have 500+ to choose and add 7 to the hot/action bar. With this you can play the game and not just play a hot bar.
    Missions; yes you do have a few of the typical kill ten rats, but they are far and few between and most missions are interesting and fun. Also, the puzzle missions are
    way to fun to not mention and there are more of them coming. The current community of the game is a good one, seems more mature then some other games that I have played. Expand
  9. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen at launch, and it's already improving. This game gets all the thumbs up!

Other moments of awesome of interest: Getting to use sledgehammers, axes, shotguns, chainsaws, and flamethrowers against zombies. Losing a helicopter ride to Cthulhu's cousin. Getting to wear denim in combat (armor gets sweaty, yanno?) [spoiler] ing the freaking legendary [spoiler] [spoiler] away from [spoiler] . (Seriously, you can't miss it.) Going to have to stop there, because a lot of the awesome gets spoiler-y quick.

Practical awesomeness: Builds are powerful because of synergy, and buffed by gear. I had a tank that debuffed enemy offense, buffed his own health and damage resist, and hulked out on command. The debuffed enemies also triggered a number of benefits. Swapping a few powers around produced an insanely resilient solo build.

Toon clothing is cheap, and some of it's unlocked by achievement. It has nothing to do with stats... so your appearance is a matter of personal taste. I confess, I've walked to the clothing shoppe after unlocking a nice jacket... because I wanted some pants to go with it. Some faction-specific costumes are quite stunning. (Not all. Some.)

You have an absurdly high maximum for inventory space. At the high end, you can absolutely keep several sets of gear only varying in their secondary stats, to help with various builds. At the mid-range, you can easily set aside some space for crafting. There is no craft skill. Consumable kits and raw ingredients obtained via milling and refining gear you don't need anymore comprise the whole of it. The crafting is less about making something more potent, and more about upgrading that one stubborn slot you haven't found a replacement for in ages.

Some quests are about using interactive terrain features to avoid combat. Set off a car alarm to make a guard leave their post. Avoid security cameras and laser tripwires. Find access codes to open a gate... or find a good spot to jump over the fence. Sneaking around mobs is always a fun part of MMOs... and there are missions that reward it.

Grouping cross-dimension is allowed, and encouraged, and a thoroughly underrated benefit. Being able to run a pick-up-group with people around the globe means night owls in one part of the planet can team up with early risers overseas when you finally have time to run that dungeon you wanted... but nobody in your time zone is online.

Quest tracking is very different. One "main" mission, The Story Mission, and 3 side missions. Dungeon missions have their own slot too. "Main" missions are given by a character, with a cutscene. Side missions are interesting elements you find lying about. A note, an odd artifact, a trail of blood... The rewards are not huge, but they are often quick, and built to lead you to where another quest starts. If you pick up another quest, you pause the first until you resume it from the source... with your progress saved.

In-game browser at a button-press is included in the game, pointing to google. It isn't a joke. I had to research a couple articles to solve quests. I've needed paper and pencil to crack cryptography. Or to look up a solution, so I could benefit from someone else typing out binary or transcribing morse code to figure out coordinates, or getting a laptop password cracked.

In other words:

The game is levelless, makes you work at solving problems, makes you look closely, at the world, and explore. The writing is solid. The characters are interesting. The ability system is extremely interesting (and I'm pretty sure you can't actually have an "optimal" build, because situations vary... and a lot of things work just fine). With the plans to keep adding more content monthly (which sounds like a crazy-fast release schedule to me, mad props if they can keep that up.) I doubt I'll be getting bored anytime soon. :)
  10. Oct 1, 2012
    Try 3 days for free at secretworld.com, don't just take my word that this is the most under-rated MMO by critics on Metacritic. Currently tied with GW2 as the #1 MMO on Metacritic by user reviews (8.3) with good reason (TSW is way better IMO). Ignore the min system specs, my laptop is below min requirements but the game runs fine on it (AMD E-350 1.6GHz Dual Core 64, AMD Radeon HD 6310M, Win 7 Home Premium, 6GB RAM), the free trial will let you see how it runs on your PC so you'll know for sure. This is the first MMO I've tried and liked better than WoW classic/BC. If you are sick of WoW clones and/or childish MMOs give this one a try:
    +2 has a free trial to see if I like the game before buying it
    +2 free form questing, do quests in any order, ignore any non-story quests you don't like without penalty
    +2 no classes, you can use any weapon and ability with the potential to learn all 525 abilities, you can weild 2 weapons at a time, and choose 7 active and 7 passive skills from either weapon from many options. Abilities and weapons you choose will spec you tank/healer/dps on the fly.
    +1 for quasi-leveless game play, you learn more abilities and strengthen them to progress, but there is no traditional character level
    +1 is a different world (present day horror theme) from a typical MMO for those bored with Elves, etc.
    +1 for bringing a FPS feel to an MMO (at least for me with the assault rifle equipped)
    +2 for memorable characters and very well voiced-acted cut-scenes for every quest you accept. -0.5 for your character being mute in them which is kind of weird.
    +1 for good story telling, quests start by finding items, your cell phone ringing, or you talking to an NPC and seeing a great cut-scene. Turn in quests by reporting them done on your cell phone.
    +1 for very few kill 10x quests, only found 2 in first 30 hours of game-play
    +1 for special sabotage quests where you need to avoid motion sensors, trip-wire and lasers, etc.
    +1 for special mission quests where you need to look for clues in the real world searching Google, Wikipedia, real online web sites for companies in the game, etc.
    -1 for making the special mission and sabotage quests so damn hard lol (btw find other MMOs too easy? these are for you)
    +1 rated M 17+ targeting adult audience, NPCs swear a lot (especially New Yorkers) and sexual themes are common.
    +1 for great selection of character face and clothes (better than my RL wardrobe lol!), so far I've accidentally created look-alikes for Jonathan Frakes, Kurt Cobain and my RL friend from Laos lol)
    +1 you can team up with your friends no matter which realm they are on (except for WvWvW)+1 for daily patches for bugs. I've seen way more bugs playing MOP for 5 hours than TSW for 30 hours (No bugs I have found in TSW were game-breaking.)
    +1 for content released once per month on average (give or take 2 weeks), much better than WoW, etc.
    +1 death works just like WoW, but no annoying rez sickness if you res at GY (+1) (and no annoying downed state lol)
    +1 global looking for group channels allow you to see groups forming while questing (no more running back and forth in SW bored while waiting for something exciting to happen lol)
    +1 GUI is customizable, move windows where you want, size your bags how you want (although how to do it is not obvious)
    +1 optionally use Facebook (instead of some walled custom method) to find if my friends play and if they are online.
    +1 cash shop has only cosmetic items (except for server transfers which cost real money)
    +1 for video tutorial to explain skill/ability system (which is very different than other MMOs)
    +1 new in launcher lets you know about latest bugs, content updates, scheduled maintenance, etc. (no more looking on Reddit to find out lol)
    -2 has monthly subscription (perfer hybrid or just paying for expansions myself)
    +0 play on normal, RP, French & English dimensions(realms)
    -1 no normal world PVP
    +1 no forced grind of daily quests, you can repeat once a day if you want, but no better rewards than doing new quests
    -1 for telling me to upgrade my computer everytime I log on although the game runs fine on it
    -0.5 for too many logo screens everytime I log on (press space to skip, but is annoying)
    +0 has no end-game yet (but plans to add it in the future). Personally, I'm burnt out on end game right now anyway.
    +1 for having the server tied to a character (ie: not your account like GW2)
    So 22/10 ha ha, if I could rate it 11/10 I would but 10/10 will have to do.
  11. Aug 13, 2012
    I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously, the infrastructure setup is phenomenal. No server crashes or lag in the most populated areas of the game at all. To make things even better, Funcom actually listens to the community and makes changes based on player feed back.

Second, I gotta hand it to all the derps who wrote reviews regarding EA and how any game problems are their fault. We all know EA turns to crap anything it touches, but EA has nothing to do with TSW except for the publishing, you know, the distribution aspect. They have no control over how the game is made in any way, shape or form. Zero development control. Learn to do your research first.

I've had the chance to read some of the lower score reviews other people have written and it's quite clear that some majority of them are WoW babies who aren't used to having a game that doesn't practically play itself. Yes, the game is challenging, yes you will have to think for yourself, yes you can't just stand in one place and spam an iwin button until everything is dead. Yes, the game will feel clunky at first to anybody who's used to WoW, but if you actually spend some time and play the game you'll quickly find that what initially feels like "clunky" is actually just "different" and after spending some hours figuring it out you'll have no problems adapting.

The skill / ability system is complex. Yes, it would have been easy for the entire system to end up unusable and utterly broken because of how complex it is, but Funcom pulled it off and made something awe inspiring. It's hard to make a build that's just inherently broken as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. The level of customizability is amazing and vast.

Visually, this game is also pretty impressive for an MMO. There's no WoW or GW2 stylized anime-ish graphics here. This game isn't set in never-never land, this is the real world and things look like it. The only drawback is that, as people have so fervently pointed out, the combat animations are a bit wonky but if that's actually a major complaint then I think you just need to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint. It's less stressful.

The story line and plot of this TSW is so engrossing and well written that I can't even adequately put it into words. I find myself watching EVERY cutscene, talking to every NPC and listening to all the dialog they have to offer. The mission completion texts for the Illuminati are just as rewarding than the XP and item rewards. And the Lore. Don't get me started on the Lore, I'll be here all day. FANTASTIC!

In all, this game isn't for everyone, but for the rest of us who aren't concerned with flashy combat animations and anime inspired graphics and for those of us who would like to use that 3 pound lump jelly inside of our skulls, this is the MMO we've been waiting for.
  12. Aug 14, 2012
    I was tentative at first, after Funcom's AO and AOC debacles. TSW makes me feel more confident that Funcom can do a good job. The areas are interesting, exciting and fresh. The missions range from easy "collect these items" to challenging investigation missions that have no waypoints provided to the user.

I love this game and the environment it gives us to run around in.
  13. Aug 16, 2012
    Finally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently and my advice to new comers is to look around and think like you are really there. There are yellow pages to browse in phone booths, ARG style websites on google. If you find a cellphone that says "the password is the first hymn on sunday", go to the church and look at where one would post hymns numbers in a real church. Expand
  14. Aug 20, 2012
    The basic concept of TSW is very good, an 'Adventure' style MMO. However, the actual implementation of the game leaves much to be desired.

* This is another released 'Beta' game. I am thinking it really needed another 6 to 12 months of content development, beta testing, bug fixing, and polishing.

* To few zones, and the zones are VERY small, with grinding the same content repeatedly
    (almost all the Main and Side quests are 'dailies') needed to actually build a character.

* Quest model where you can only have 1 Main / 3 Side / 1 Dungeon / 1 Story is, in my opinion, just a mechanic to drag out the time needed to play a zone. One should note that even though when you complete a quest, you (sometimes) get the completion reward on-the-spot via mail type mechanic, you STILL need to go back and pickup a new quest anyway. 95% or more of your 'game' time will be spent running from point to point.

* Really not much choice in progression. Choose a weapon, grind all the SP/AP to build that weapon. Rinse and Repeat. More grinding. There really is no choice, other than what weapon to start on first. Eventually, you do get some extra skills, and have to select what to go on your hotbar, but that selection is pretty straight forward depending on what you are going to be doing, Tank/Heal/DPS.

* Yes, this is yet another 'Holy Trinity' game. So tired of this model. Really.

* Yet another Single Player MMO. Every incentive NOT to play with other players, except in dungeons/Raids. Same old, same old.

* Gameplay is laggy, buggy, and not very smooth. Glowy quest items often do not work.

* So tired of the !/? Quest model. Time for it to go.

* Overall, I see TSW as a thinly disguised WOW clone. Not worth the $50 box price, and
    certainly not worth a $15/mo subscription.

* Box Purchase AND $15 Month Sub AND Cash Shop == Fail

Give it a try, if you have the extra $50 to spare. But, just be aware that this game is really in an advanced Beta state, and that it is a grinder. Nothing new to see here.

P.S. Even though ALL the cut-scenes show what most folks would consider to be standard, slow moving zombies, the zombies in TSW game itself are the fastest dang zombies I have ever seen.

Note: This is my review that I posted on Amazon, should it look familiar.
  15. Aug 25, 2012
    I have problem understanding why people would rate this game low. Yes, there have been some initial release bugs and yes, they can be frustrating. But find me an MMO that didn't suffer from this. Any other World or Warcraft initial release players out there??? I didn't think so. But let's take a look at the entire game, not just the problems they've had on launch. Being a "real" adult (48-years-old), I've played my share of WoW, LOTRO, Eve Online, Star Trek Online, etc., and I must admit that this is the FIRST MMO that I felt was written and created for adults. I'm not talking about swearing and nudity, I'm talking about an incredibly written storyline, and first-rate voice acting. The game immerses you in the story, and regardless what you think of the combat system or leveling system, the game is a masterpiece. I played for the free month and then bought a lifetime subscription. I play most evenings and have NEVER been disappointed with content or originality. The first FREE content release provided not only some upper-level quests, but added to the lower-level quests as well which is unprecedented in MMO content releases. If they continue this schedule (which they promise to do), this game will continue to improve. The investigation quests are amazing (although, the in-game web browser now brings up walkthroughs for game searches rather than intended content :(), the stealth missions are a lot of fun, and the "found" missions add an extra level of adventure to the game.

I don't mean to be a TSW cheerleader, but I've found little to complain about in the game. If I had to make some complaints, it would be that I think I have the best dual-weapons combinations and actions and now I don't know how to spend my ability points. A small complaint for all the enjoyment I've gotten from this game.

I hope Funcom continues to update the game on multiple levels, and I hope they don't feel the need to go F2P before it's time. This is a fantastic game made for adults and those with a more mature sense of what a MMO should do.
  16. Aug 28, 2012
    Love the graphics, but do get yourself a Nividia GTX670 or better, or you can't run the game in all its beauty and glory. Love the world, the missions, the skill system. It's all very well designed.
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    Very underestimated game. It is beautiful in visuals, story, lore, investigation missions and setting. NPC animations and voice acting is simply great. Probably the first MMO that has single player experience compared with the best RPG singles. However it is much better then usual single player games in the long run because of guaranteed new monthly content for the next 7 years (as it was promised by Ragnar). Group PVE is also very, very nice since dungeon mechanics is interesting and challenging. Animations, effects are OK for me and I do not understand why some people put so much emphasis to them it their negative reviews. I solved subscription issue by buying lifetime account=) Expand
  18. Aug 31, 2012
    In short: This is the only MMORPG that I have ever found worth playing, and not for lack of trying. The quest design is impeccable (a lot of SP RPGs aren't as good!), the system is fresh and interesting, and the setting and atmosphere is absolutely great. So far, the game is absolutely worth its retail price. For me, it remains to be seen if I'll keep playing, as I am not usually an MMO player, but I am confident. The Raids are interesting (especially with the mutable skill sets - your group doesn't succeed with a boss? Change your tactics on the fly! Hell, change your CLASS on the fly!). PVP is a bit chaotic as of yet, but remedy seems to be underway. Also, I find a bit of chaos more to my liking than having static battles that all work the same. While the graphics are mostly okay, the animations are a bit awkward. The design of the world is beautiful and adds a lot to the fantastic atmosphere. There are likable characters throughout the story, which are all completely voiced by good voice actors. All in all it's a 9/10, corrected to 10 to offset some of the ridiculously low ratings. Expand
  19. Aug 31, 2012
    Secret World is the most fun I've had in an MMORPG in a long time. I'm never been a fan of zombies, monsters, or creepy things. But Secret World does it in such a way that makes it really fun. The combat and the way you can combine various attacks/ability trees lets you really play the character you want.

Missions/Quests: The writing, humor,and detail on many of the missions is
    really, really good. So going back later and repeating the missions is fun, and about 90% of the missions are repeatable. Other games have "daily" missions, in which you usually grind something boring. But in Secret World you can pick your favorite missions and do THOSE as dailies, which is sooo much more fun. The NPC's in Secret World have their little quirks and actual personality that make them stand out. Character development: I never felt gimped or underpowered when starting new characters. Other games have the level grind, and you need increasingly more and more XP in order to make your character better in some way. Not in the Secret World, because the XP needed for the next ability point stays the same. This allows for fantastic levels of customization as you can consistently unlock new abilities. Progression was steady and well paced. Secret World allows players to eventually unlock every ability/attack/passive bonus in the game. You can only slot 7 active attacks/abilities and 7 passive abilities (14 total). But you can change them around and swap them out at any time, with any ability that you've unlocked. The reasonable XP needed to gain ability points means that you can flesh out your character in ways that are fun. For example, how about an elementalist with some dual pistol attacks tossed in! It gives you a lot or room for creating the character you're looking for.

Setting and graphics; I'm running an NVidia 275 GTX card, and the graphics are really good. The modern setting feels comfortable, because so much of it is familiar. It also adds to the creepiness in some areas, because of how things are destroyed or affected. I personally don't see anything wrong with the attack animations. In fact, I think some of them look really cool (Like pistols, and the elemenal electric attacks). Overall I'm having a lot of fun, and look forward to playing this game for quite a long time.
  20. Sep 5, 2012
    A new approach to MMO genre and a step forward for the gaming community .Everything about TSW is new and innovative .Yes it has a few rough edges but with 7 years of planned content with monthly updates .i have no doubt this game will do very well.
  21. Sep 5, 2012
    While it is true that Funcom has not solved the "play alone together" problem all MMORPGs seem to face, the number of other MMORPG problems Funcom has addressed is remarkable.

The class-less/level-less system allows for both more character individualization and alt-less play ala guildwars. Any character can learn any build at any time.

The environment is creepy and foreboding. The
    modern day setting makes it feel familiar... but only familiar in the way an HP lovecraft story is familiar. The horror element and continual suprises always keep you on edge and engaged.

The gameplay, story elements and puzzles are remarkably well integrated. Unless you read and think about the story, you wont succeed. This will likely turn off grind-oriented players but for those of us who were turned off by the grind, this is a breath of fresh air. You are always learning something new *and significant* about the world around you and how to deal with it.

This is not a mass market game. Its a thinkers game. And a game for those who prefer "street level" heroes to world-shaking power-fantasies. But its a big breath of fresh air and depth in a market that has been on a steady march to bland and shallow crowd pleasers for a long time now.
  22. Sep 7, 2012
    Perhaps I didn't give this game enough of a chance but I simply could not get into it. The premise and concepts are right up my alley but the delivery just doesn't seem to be there. I think it does a lot of things well...but when it comes right down to it, it feels like just another MMO. The combat was fun at first but got fairly repetitive quick. The graphics, design and overall atmosphere are definitely a plus. I was disappointed with the supposedly loads of conspiracy theory material. Most of it seemed very derived and boring and just didn't seem to make much sense in a lot of instances and I am normally a fan of this stuff. That said, I can certainly see why some people are thoroughly enjoying the game. For my part, it started off great but got stale very quickly. Expand
  23. Dec 12, 2012
    Please do not waste your money. I've played many pay to play and free to play MMOs over the course of 12 years and I can confidently say that I was extremely foolish for buying this game. If you see positive reviews for this game please consider that they are possibly reviews created by the game's PR staff.

Let me breakdown some positive and negative aspects of this game from a buyers
    perspective:

(Keep in mind: My PC is setup to smoothly play TERA, Final Fantasy XIV, and Crysis 2 all on highest settings.)

Positive (The only reasons this game got a 2 from me):
    - The game scenery looks nice.

- The game has a unique and interesting storyline compared to other MMOs

Negative
    - The character creation process is ridiculously limited

- The character visuals and animations are horrible. The game's scenery looks way better than the character visuals.

- This Pay to Play game has an In-Game item shop which offers items that are far superior to the items achievable via game progress. You have the option to purchase items in the store with in-game farmed currency, a ton of in-game currency. (really? wtf were the devs thinking?)

- Combat is below lackluster. Imagine if GTA mated with Second Life and they produced a child game with down-syndrome -> Voila The Secret World Combat System. - PVP in The Secret World is probably the worst PVP that has ever been created in the history of all MMOs. Seriously. Couple this with the derp-a-tronic lamesauce combat system and you will be shortly bashing your head into nearby objects in order to pound some sanity back into your mind.

- Questing is subpar. This aspect of the game isn't as horrendous as the others but it is a close runner up as far as the actual conent of the questing goes. The only thing that partially makes the questing bearable is the storyline and scenery (which are also the only two aspects which get a favorable review in my opinion).

I could go on and on but eventually I would run out of word count.

I gave this game a chance. I leveled and quested until I could only go further for the sake of validating reasons why this game caused me serious Buyer's Remorse.

If you buy this game for 49.99 on steam then I am sad to say that you have wasted your money horrendously. If you don't believe me then try their 3 day free trial (which they created due to the massive amount of customers wanting refunds due to buyer's remorse. seriously they didnt even have a 3 day trial to begin with until this BS game started making people angry)

The Secret World had potential. However, if you have played MMOs before and are a veteran looking for a deep sense of accomplishment and gratification then this title is a bane to your existence. I would highly recommend looking elsewhere or spending your money on something more rewarding like a lottery ticket.
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    The Secret World is a hidden gem in the MMO landscape. The quests are brilliant and very few are simply fetch X of this and kill Y of that. They have a lot of thought put into them and the resulting questing experience is really enjoyable and has a lot of flow. Some of the investigation quests are down right devious and you'll be finding yourself using the ingame web browser to help solve them, or if you are up for a bigger challenge, spending a couple of hours trying to crack the code yourself. For instance, one quest involves deciphering morse code to figure out a location to go to. Not so hard if it was written down, but the morse code is audio. Of course the answer is freely available on the internet if you wish to go that way, or decipher yourself if you're really up for a challenge.

The dungeons are also well paced and thought out and offer a good challenge, very minimal trash so the action really flows.

There are no "levels" as such but you'll need to complete quests to gain XP to allow you to wear better armour and gain access to better skills.

Given that this game has dropped the monthly subscription (I'd be surprised to see any major MMOs launch with a monthly subscription in the future btw - I think the micro transaction model is the way of the future) it is well worth the purchase up front for hours and hours of gameplay.
  25. Jan 18, 2013
    Very inovative as MMORPG in many aspect. Questing is a real pleasure and the story is very deep, an uncommon feature for MMORPGs. Now that is B2P i think it deserves the the attention of many.
  26. Mar 16, 2013
    Bugs.
    More bugs.
    Horrible controls.
    Boring story.
    Very limited BGM (Background Music) variety.
    Too much grinding.
    Way too much grinding.
    Crapiest PVP system on earth. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  27. Sep 17, 2013
    It's unlike any MMO I've played before. I personally find the combat far superior to GW2 and like the graphic style and locations. It also plays at a nice pace (much more relaxed than most MMO's). I missions (quests) have thought involved and don't rely on the constant 'Hello I need 15 apples from the forest' crap. This alone makes this game stand out. I wanted to grab it at release but with so many other games at the time, I neglected it. With the now buy and play deal (aka no more monthly fees) it seemed like the perfect time to test drive the game. People's views on games varies hugely and TSW is no exception here. I hear that the initial release had many mission breaking bugs and assume that's why the critic reviews score it so low. So far, I'm yet to find any of these and think that if it was re-reviewed in it's current state the critical score would be much higher. I for one will champion TSW as it deserves the praise. I just joined the Firefall beta and was extremely unimpressed with it. People need to look at new ways to entertain the public. TSW does this. Buy and enjoy. Expand
  28. Oct 3, 2012
    This is a weird game...but it is enjoyable. It really doesn't hold your hand or explain very much. Fortunately, if you have a question there is a huge community that probably already has the answer that can be quickly accessed in the ingame web browser. The graphics are above par for an MMO. A ton of care has been taken into the story telling for each individual quest. The game is awash in missions to complete, and you can even go back and DO THEM AGAIN after they cooldown. The frequency of updates for little tweaks is nice as well, and let's you know the developer is listening to the community. And the atmosphere...absolutely awesome. That being said, I've been playing this game for about a week...and the leveling/skilling, vendor situation is still incomprehensible to me. While the missions are fun, it's just not very clear what the strategy is for acquiring skills. It's not even clear what the skills really do until you purchase them and try them out. Even the XP system is fairly vague. After a lot of grinding to get to upper level AR skills, which had it's own issues telling me I needed the incorrect things to unlock, resulted in me spilling 9 AP (that's alot at an early level) in my first AWESOME upper level skill...to obtain something that is actually worse than a similar skill I gained right off the bat. I'm guessing it has some sort of stacking ability that can be really awesome if someone else has some other skill and buffs me...but how do I know what that skill is? How do I find someone that intentionally went for this buff or even knows that this buff will make an AR guy like me a beast and be looking for me? This is where the game really falls down. The difficulty rises pretty quickly and your skill choices become more and more costly...even though half of them seem like traps that are garbage skills. If not, the game never explained the usage. The interface is at times really cool, and others really clunky. This game is so good and so bad at the same time. I would still give it a 7. Even when I get frustrated with it, I come back to it a little later. They need to clear up the vendor system. Work a little bit harder at explaining the mechanics. Expand
  29. Oct 5, 2012
    Simply the only mmo i can play and have fun.The character development is huge you can bent your character quite easily into what your desire and not start about the huge breathtaking scenario,world and of course the innovative skills and ability systems without any class or fancy armor or stupid orcs.
  30. Aug 13, 2012
    A strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends to play together even from different servers.

There are three things I think really stand out for this game:

-Non-linear character progression
    There are no levels in this game. There are nine weapon types, from which you can equip any two at a time, and each has it's own skill tree with about 50 abilities. These trees start with cheap, up-front abilities, and branch into more expensive, specialized ones. The catch is, at any time you're limited to 7 active (clicky) abilities, and 7 passive abilities. The game facilitates and encourages swapping these in and out as your situation requires, which can be done instantly and freely anytime you're out of combat. This is way more enjoyable customization than what "talent trees" and classes in other MMOs tend to provide. It also tends to solve the natural lack of tanks/healers, since these roles have the option to deal damage with a simple gear/spec swap.

-Engaging story and dungeons
    Most of your experience points will come from completing quests, which are usually much better than those offered up in other MMOs, and are repeatable on about a day's cooldown. The game differentiates between different kinds of quests, and by design limits you to one main quest at a time, making it more engaging and less of a to-do kill list. Action quests are closest to your standard MMO fair: you kill a progression of baddies usually culminating with some big baddie at the end. Sabotage missions typically involve sneaking around some cameras, traps, or high-powered guards, with very minimal fighting. Investigation missions will test your puzzling skills and imagination, and even require looking up information outside of the game (hieroglyphics, Morse code, ISBN numbers on books, etc). The latter can be incredibly rewarding both in xp and in the atypical nature of the quest, though like any puzzle game solutions can also be found online.

Dungeons are very well streamlined. Trash pulls are almost non-existent, so the group can focus on the real meat of group instanced combat: the boss fights. There's plenty going on during the fights, almost every fight has you dodging some badness, reacting to changing phases and adds, etc. Roles tend to stay pretty close to the "holy-trinity" of tank+healer+3dps, but the nature of setting up your 7 actives/passives leaves within that quite a bit of room for diversity - off heals/tank are definitely possible, and anyone can opt for a personal heal/cleanse at the cost of one of those 7 precious slots.

-Social
    It's the little things. Like most MMOs Secret World breaks into server instances to manage its user base into manageable chunks. Unlike most MMOs, Funcom didn't make this into an artificial barrier to playing with your friends. Your friends list seamlessly crosses servers, and you can join a group with someone on another server and temporarily hop to their server to play.

Because there are no levels, there's no level gap, either. You can group with another player regardless of different power levels, and complete missions, and not feel penalized for it, and because you can repeat most missions you can always find something to do together.

These two things together might easily be the biggest selling point for the MMO, and they're so simple it's stupid, but so many other AAA MMO games get it wrong, in my opinion. The most important thing in an MMO game is the game should be multiplayer friendly, you should be able to join your friends and find rewarding content to enjoy effortlessly - and Funcom nailed this.
  31. Oct 31, 2013
    The scores of 10 have to have been written by what was left of the Funcom staff before they all got fired, as there is no way this game should score more than a 5 pity vote. The combat is the worst thing about this game, it's full of bugs which never get fixed (and are built into the Dreamworld Engine since Anarchy Online days and will never be fixed, because lazy devs). Now they've all been fired (and rightly so) there is no way this game will be anything more than on life support. GG Funcom for another disaster. Giving a 0 for balance with all the lying 10s written by staff under threat of the chopping block. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2012
    TSW has a few things going for it, namely it's storyline, investigation and sabotage missions and the skill wheel is a pretty nice addition (although there are many repetitive skills in there). The problem is, once you have completed the excellent storyline and missions you are left with the same old loot treadmill and absolutely terrible PvP. Combat itself lacks polish, skills often share animations and don't "blend" well, the sounds for combat are very repetitive (ex: all pistols sound exactly the same) and it lacks that visceral "feel" to it. Hopefully these are things Funcom can work on.

Overall, you'd probably get your $50 worth from playing through the story, but in it's current state, it's just not worth paying a monthly subscription for. If it makes the change to F2P then it's definitely worth picking up.
  33. Nov 6, 2012
    I was really excited about TSW. It seemed to offer heaps of innovation. I pre-ordered it, and only played for a week, didn't renew my subscription. Very disappointed. The setting, theme etc are really different. It has story, voice acting etc. Great stuff and well done for that. More MMOs should be like it. BUT, the game is dull. You spend ages just running around, unable to interact with the world around you (especially the bicycles lying around which would really speed things up if you were allowed to click on them!). The combat is extremely repetitive and old-fashioned. Just mash the same button over and over again, against the same-looking set of zombies over and over again. It's like SWTOR, story and character, but the gameplay is stuck in the bad part of 2003. Expand
  34. Aug 30, 2012
    Sadly, this would have been great as a single player game. Excellent story and questing marred by boring, unpolished combat, tacked on PvP and a WoW-esque approach to endgame. Third time is unfortunately not a charm for Funcom.
  35. Jan 10, 2013
    Great constantly growing singeplayer+MMO.
    Just try it if you have somewhat powerful PC. It definitely worth more than its price (B2P now) just for singleplayer content. So just try.
  36. Oct 8, 2012
    Lots of fun, amazing lore, lots of content, something new, deep combat & leveling system.

Fun: Combat is challenging, but not frustrating. There's plenty of easier content to run through if you are in the mood for a casual day. Plenty of really tough stuff to run through if you are in the mood for a challenge, too. The game does a great job of making you feel like more of a bad-ass as
    you level up, as well. Lore: It is like a good novel. Interesting characters, some pretty intense situations, very few pulled punches, extremely creative. The writing and voice overs are top notch. Even if you aren't interested in getting sucked into a MMO, I'd encourage you to consider playing through this game like a single player game.

Content: There's a pretty huge amount of content. Lots of quests, lots of land to explore. I do repeat quests that I find fun, but you could progress very far into this game without ever repeating a quest if you so choose.

Something New: Really love the investigation quests. Puzzles are very challenging, require some modern tools (like google, through an in-game browser), and help isn't hard to find when you get stuck. As a side-note, the community is pretty great. Deep Combat & Classes: I love to build. I've been a D&D addict for a long time for that very reason -- it is a fairly complex system that lets you get creative. TSW is exactly the same! You can mix and match abilities from a variety of trees to create a build that compliments your play style. You can literally learn every skill on the same character given time, as well, so your build doesn't need to get stale. Just pick up a new weapon when you want something fresh. Learning abilities is fairly quick, so you do not need to go through the chore of grinding for weeks & weeks to do so, either.

Overall, great game, highly recommended.
  37. Aug 20, 2012
    I believe the "professional" critics have got this one about right. For all it does differently in the narrative department, The Secret World is still an MMO at its core. The game has all the regular genre staples such as guided progression via solo and group questing, group dungeons, and loot grinding. If you enjoy daily quests and daily quest hubs then consider The Secret World one big hub because virtually every quest is repeatable. The combat is simple enough that anyone willing to learn it can but it may not have the depth that others desire. Overall it's a decent game that's got everything people have come to expect from MMOs, both good and bad, except for the raiding. That's fine with me. Expand
  38. Dec 25, 2012
    I really have to admit funcom aspires to make a great game. They try on a lot of fronts. But not on bugfixing. There are bugs in there - major bugs which exist already since beginning and there are a lot of people complaining about it. what do they do? put new clothes in the store that you can buy. really i mean. i see that it takes time to fix stuff, but forever? for that unbelievable bad service they do not deserve any points at all. that is just bland evil. Expand
  39. Aug 9, 2012
    The... worst... game ive played. Bought it for $90. NOT WORTH IT!!! terrible aiming system. you cant run, move your view and shoot at the same time, unless you have three hands. you click something, and then need to push another button (1,2,3 etc) to attack, so you can't just click and have default attack. I may be wrong here, but I didn't give the game enough time to find out: it didn't deserve it. You're told to find the "secret" illuminati. Who everyone, EVERYONE on the street happens to know and be talking about at that exact time. but even if you couldn't listen to them, or find the woeful "technology trail" there were still icons on the screen pointing to the desired location. On top of that, you have a lot of speech options, with no real reason to use any that aren't directly involved with your quest. Not to mention an over complicated skill set/system. Terrible. Totally... terrible. I'm surprised i even bothered writing a review of it. Expand
  40. Oct 10, 2012
    One of the best mmo's I have played. And it keeps getting better every month.
    Its unique, its fresh and its fun!
    I have gone through hundreds of mmos most didnt even last one month, TSW? I just cant stop playing it
  41. Aug 4, 2012
    I am enjoying this game more than expected! For the first time I do think about a game after the computer is shut down. Last time this happened was when I played Ultima Online and Asheron's Call
  42. Dec 3, 2012
    The dialogue and story are where this game really shines. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the humor in this game.

The downside is solo play. Even more than most MMOs, this game (like all Funcom games) is really designed for very social gamers. If you prefer to solo TSW can be incredibly grindy and frustrating.
  43. Aug 13, 2012
    This is, simply put, the best and most original MMORPG I have ever played. So if you're looking for a game set in present day, which flirts a lot with the horror genre and has a great depth when it comes to storytelling, then this game is definitely for you.
  44. Aug 13, 2012
    This is probably the best and most unique mmo that has come around for many a years. Its a long time since i mmo gave me that magic mmo feeling that only two other mmo's gave me... AO and EVE online.

Seriously.. this game deserves to be tried.
  45. Aug 13, 2012
    Immersive, exciting, daring, attention grabbing and yes sometimes frustrating. All these adjectives describe my adventures in The Secret World.

In this place I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do... A sexy axe weilding brunnette who can shoot lightning from her fingers.... a frumpy old man with a shotgun in his hands and pistols at his side.... an innocent co-ed just
    rolled out of bed, still in her bunny slippers wielding an assault rifle and a pair of fist weapons, more deadly than her cute smile would indicate..

This is an MMO unlike any I have ever played. The learning curve is higher than average but there are many opportunities to learn in cleverly placed solo instances along your journey that make you break away from the pack so you can use your build to face the challenge laid before you... If you fail you have the opportunity to change your actives or passives as you need to defeat the challenge... If you cannot, go out earn some more xp and pick up the abilities that you failed to do so in the past so you can come back in and win.

I can tank, heal and dps all on the same toon.. I can build a straight out healer or a combination of skills as unique or cookie cutter as I want... Exploration... OMG! I investigate and solve riddles that make me find it within myself to translate morse code, read runes, follow signals, search google for both well and unknown litterature and art all on my journey through the world.

I feel like I cannot fully express the contents of the secret world... It really can be what you want it to be. If you allow yourself to progress at your pace and fully immerse yourself in the game it can be a fun escape... I cannot wait to face the gatekeeper and see how I do. The gatekeeper is a solo challenge that you must win in order to enter the nightmare modes. You can face him as a tank, dps or a healer... you must face him alone. Some people make it look easy, others have been unable to pass... I don't know what type of challenge faces me but I cannot wait to find out.

The only area I am waiting for improvement on is the PVP. I love some PVP but this game does't quite do it for me.... A 3 faction fight has alll sorts of fun written all over it. It will happen though, eventually.. until then I can get my PVP fix elsewhere.. the rest of the world is just amazing....
  46. Aug 13, 2012
    this game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secret world . why people are turn off by the secret world is because no one knows about it. quest titles are fun to read and fun to try to finger out how to do the quest "Hell and Bach " some quest like hell and bach needs you to ask for help do you wan to know why you need to pay attention to what is given to in the 1 part of the quest ORDERINT DUM METUANT this is latan for "Let them hate as long as they fear Expand
  47. IMC
    Aug 13, 2012
    This game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to other released titles these past years. If you are one of those people that has been almost dying waiting for a change of scenery and innovation in the never-ending copy-cat mmo industry, TSW is for. And the fun has only began. Expand
  48. Aug 13, 2012
    Despite the Critic reviews, I bought this game, and I am super glad I did. Clearly the critics didn't actually play the game because it has so many good things about it.

First and foremost the graphics and story are phenomenal. The cut scenes and voice acting make me look forward to the missions. The graphics are exceptionally well done and suit the story and environment perfectly.

The game mechanics are also very well done. There are no "classes" or "levels", and surprisingly it really does work. You can make any type of character you like based on the skills you choose. And what's really great is that you never have to reroll your character because quests are repeatable so you can earn more points to try new skills. Also, although I haven't tried it, you can advance your character via PvP battles, but I am too wrapped up in the awesome story and side quests to do that.

Speaking of which... I am 42 hours into the game and it has been a blast. Even if there is no endgame content when I finish it in another 50-60 hours, I am very glad at having spent the $50 I paid for this game.

So, try the game despite the critics reviews. Maybe they got paid off to bad mouth it. Maybe they just didn't bother learning the ropes of a game that is very much NOT A COOKIE CUTTER CLONE of any MMO's in recent history. The game has very open ended ways to play it, so if it's hand holding you want, stick with WoW or any of it's clones.
  49. Aug 14, 2012
    This is a very nice game, good gameplay and level mechanics and the whole quest system is really well set : mysteries, enigmas and stuff that will make your brain work (once in a while, that's good).
    The dark side of all this ? The PVP system.
    Two maps where you'll probably never go, a giant map where it gets boring after 20 minutes but still good for fast xp. Battles can't last for long
    because you'll get blown to pieces in split seconds and that's the sad part, really. A better PVP system and real good maps could give this game a 8 instead of 6 (for me). I guess this game can easily create his own fans and stand still with the arrival of GW2 but players who want some more action and epic battles will go to GW2, i can bet it. Expand
  50. Aug 14, 2012
    I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. The content is actually difficult (in Nightmare mode) and highly dynamic. The community is great. Never takes more than 5 minutes to find a group for anything I'd like to work on. Are there a few bugs, sure. But the game has been live for only a few months and they're fixing things everyday. I'm a lifetime subscriber and will play this for a LONG time. Thank you Funcom. Expand
  51. Aug 14, 2012
    This MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it gives the game some real versatility, and you never are in a position where you regret your class choice, because there are no classes! Want to do something else? Just buy the abilities with experience and do it. Expand
  52. Aug 14, 2012
    If you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would be unhelpful to you as a player. Questing and builds have to be treated entirely differently. For instance, questing is about stories, not about loot or XP farming. You can only pursue one major quest actively. This means if you take a new quest your other quest is paused. Meaning you can't just collect a list of chores and go do them. Even if you were allowed to do this it would be extremely difficult as some of the people near the initial quest givers give quests for much more experienced characters. You want to choose one quest, and follow the quest chain all across the zone until you are brought back to the hub. Character builds are different in that there are no classes, or restrictions on how many abilities you can get. There are weapons, and restrictions on what kind of abilities you can have actively. The system is confusing at first, and you will make mistakes. However these mistakes end up just being another set of options you have later. You really only need one character, and you never need to repeat content if you don't want to. The game is young and has a few flaws. It has bugs, and it is thirsty for all those small pieces of content that older games are riddled with (homes, marriages,new clothing). PvP is kind of an after thought, and if you are thirsty for pvp content honestly I would suggest Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends as those provide great pvp for free. Expand
  53. Aug 15, 2012
    really disappointed with this game. This game is mediocre at best, disappointing considering the development time it took it was suppose to be free to play i guess at the last minute they decided to slap a monthly few on it but judging by the couple of hours i spent in game it will probably be free to play or bankrupt in the next couple of months. combat was very disappointing really boring. the visuals in this game are nice and the premise is cool but over all this game isnt worth the price or the monthly fee wish i waited for reviews before throwing money down the drain :(. save your money or wait for a sale dont buy full price Expand
  54. Aug 15, 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. The skill system allows me to decide how I want to play my character. The quests are well thought out and written. Last night I got the chills investigating a haunted asylum. I've mostly solo'd my way so far and am not rushing the game by any means. After a month and a half, just entering the second major zone.

Graphically it looks great whether I'm
    running it on my desktop or laptop computers. I haven't had any crash to desktop issues. And only experienced a few minor bugs in quests (both of which were handled by friendly GM's within 5 minutes of me posting a petition about it).

They've just announced their second "Issue" of new content; so the game continues to grow and evolve.

Some areas do need some work. PvP is a bit lackluster at the moment. But there are also some changes coming to the battlegrounds which may help address those. We'll wait and see.

I'm no where near endgame yet; so can't really comment on dungeons or raids so far.

At this point, though, I was already bailing out of SWTOR and some other recent MMO releases. With TSW I feel like I could be here a year or two from now and still enjoying myself.
  55. Aug 26, 2012
    Best mmo ever for a long time.
    Graphism, new gamplay, storyline and quests are on top.
    It's mostly a PVE game. A great one, and a new one. Few bugs.
    I play on a good PC with 60 FPS, even in the mass PVP zone.
    The only problem is that this is a mature and adult game.
  56. Sep 1, 2012
    The game has the best ambiance and quests of any of the MMO's I've played to date. Combat is lively and centered around timing, movement, and your knowledge of builds. The game system and content is both very deep and challenging. It's story line is really first rate. The writing is both mature and filled with humor. On top of this, the game is really quite a bit different in substantial ways from the games common to the genre. As an aside I found many of the critic reviews to be quite odd. Many seem to have been written on either minimal exposure to the game or exposure only to the games beta. The developer has offered a number of free trials, some of which I believe are still ongoing. There is honestly little reason to depend on critics for information anymore. Just see with your own eyes. A side benefit will be knowing which of the critics provide solid reviews and which ones are just fishing for page counts or filing articles to meet deadlines. Expand
  57. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is nothing for pigeonholing. This game makes many things absolutely different, others are similar to well known schemata. The quest design is great. Action, sabotage, investigation, delivery quests. Quests, where you have to think. (omg, using my brain!) Quests, that can be done completely without fighting.
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are
    better ones out there. But also worse.
    The whole story is amazing, as well as the setting. It's different from everything out there. I love the way dungeons are designed. And I mean the optic and the fights both. I like the fact, that there is not that much trash. And I love, that bosses need tactic and are not only tank and spank.
    The game has a great skill system. But yes, that system and the game design at all requires the player to change his builds if necessary. That's not for everyone, not for people who say "I only want to play with these weapons and that abilities.". But in fact, it is giving players more space to develop as so many other MMOs.
    I am absolutely curious how everything will go one. I'm looking forward to the first raid and the first new zone.
    Great game, just give it a chance and stop pigeonholing ;)
  58. Sep 2, 2012
    Simply fantastic. Quest, skill, and endgame design are just about perfect. The only caveat I have is that the final part of endgame, raids, haven't yet been implemented; that said, the gearing process is the best I've ever worked with (played WoW, SWTOR, TERRA, and GW2), and the dungeon designs are great. There are some bugs still being ironed out, though on that score the launch is significantly better than either WoW or SWTOR--the active response from the devs is the reason I don't deduct a point, here. They've been great at listening and responding to community feedback. Expand
  59. Sep 3, 2012
    If you like good story - you should play this game. Unlike childish SW:TOR, plot is written to interest mature people. Cut scenes are directed so well, that you don
  60. Sep 12, 2012
    Terrible combat. Rubbish animations. Too much running back and forth due to Funcom deciding you can only carry one of a particular type of quest. I'm giving it 3 specifically for the investigation quests. These are the ONLY good part of the game. The rest is pretty poor. The story is OK, not great. The voice acting is awful in places, especially the NPCs with English accents, and London in general is a joke. I really wanted to love this game, but in my opinion, Funcom did their usual thing and rushed it to get it out before GW2 and maybe MoP. It didn't work. I'm glad I wasn't one of those suckers that bought the GM pack. The biggest fail here however is the monthly sub. This game does not warrant the largest monthly sub fee of any MMORPG that is available in the UK. Funcom are ripping players off by charging around £3.00 more than the market leader - World of Warcraft. That's suicide right there if you ask me. Expand
  61. Sep 3, 2012
    I have to say one of the best MMOs I have played. No, its not perfect if I'm trying to pick it apart. However, this is a perfect release. I expect changes after the first few months to balance things out. But Overall this is great twist to a diluted genre.
  62. Sep 4, 2012
    I'm playing TSW since release now, and am still motivated enough to play it almost every day, unlike SWTOR, where I lost all interest after my character finished the story and reached max. lvl. I sort of stumbled over the beta-weekends and after reaching Kingsmouth the atmosphere of the game sucked me in. The story, the well-crafted quests (especially the adventure-like Investigative Missions) and the great characters and dialogue turn The Secret World into something special. And while the skill system seemed really chaotic to me in the beginning, I got used to it pretty fast. Graphics and sounds are well done although the characters are pretty low-polygon, which really shows in close-ups. Lighting and shadows are great, especially under DX11. Conclusion: The Secret World is my favorite MMORPG in 2012. Expand
  63. Sep 6, 2012
    What a surprise ! This game is certainly the best MMO I ever played since 2004... Great world, mature content ! Amazing quests, lot of enigmas, you need to seek answers everywhere ! Full of animations and voices : the leveling part is funnier than swtor ! Thanks funcom !
  64. Sep 13, 2012
    This game is not worth it. The only thing that makes it different from any other MMORPG is the modern-time setting. Don't forget you'll be buying the game AND paying a 15 dollar monthly subscription. The graphics are nothing glorious, the animations are basic and abrupt (i.e. you can go sprinting, then randomly jump higher than two cars piled, then land normally and go on sprinting), the combat system is horrible and the missions are blatantly repetitive. Of course it has an original storyline and setting, no doubt about that. But Funcom is just trying to leech your wallet - a different story doesn't make the game worth its current prices. Star Wars The Old Republic made it free to play, and if they don't do the same with The Secret world, its going to fall... face-first. Summing it up: Game CD + 15 dollars per month for something you can do on WoW, Allods, Forsaken World, Vindictus, or any other MMORPG, with no special features or revolutionary game mechanics. Is it worth it? Not by an inch. Expand
  65. Oct 7, 2012
    + -At last something different. -Not just braindead hack and slash and get your reward and your gear and your level up. -Not just stand in a dungeon and press your 400 abilities to spam some boss. -Not have have to chose your destiny before playing... -Not have to create several chars to try different playstyles. be anything you like. -A wery challenging endgame that keeps you experimenting a lot and have groupmembers actually cominucate whats the smart thing to do.
    -You have to think. (i find this refreshing)

-The Zones before endgame is like singleplayer game.
    -The Endgame is very much repeat same dungeon over and over many times before you are geared/skilled enough to move on to next one. Should haven been many more dungeon with a smoother progression in how difficult they are. -You have to think (some dont like to think)
    -Should have pve areas that clearly without doubt rewards grouping.
  66. Oct 10, 2012
    What a fantastic MMO. Best experience I ever had, challenging, immersion is top notch, storytelling is a dream, graphics and engine are top notch bleeding edge. Got tesselation in my MMO? Hell yeah! Well, I´m not much of a PvPer but the only thing that keeps TSW from a 10 is a little work invested into PvP, but that´s what they already plan. Also a lot do and a lot to come for RPers as well. So, this gets a clean honest 9 from me. Thanks for putting brain back into gaming and looking forward to many years of fun in my new MMO home. Expand
  67. Oct 11, 2012
    Extremely inconsistent game; poor balance between "classes" (your class is, more or less, the two weapons you're using) leading to a small number of flavor-of-the-month builds; constant exploitation and bugs; questionable endgame involving extremely repetitive farming.
  68. Oct 12, 2012
    This is the best game I have played for a very long time. TSW makes you actually think about the missions and the choices you make in the game. The skill wheel is a genuis idea, even though you can only use 2 weapons at any one time (plus we get an extra weapon later we can use as an extra) you are not tied to them or their passive skills, you can pick a choose a passive from anywhere on the wheel. Not happy with pistols? Then pick another weapon. none of your weapons have impair? then choose from a range of passives that can fix that for you. The points do come thick and fast which means you don't have to grind to get more points, a blessing in the beginning of the game when you are starting out and may make some mistakes. The ability to use any passives you want is one of the best ideas I have seen in an MMO for a long time. "YOU" get to pick and choose what you want to use, not what the devs want you to use. But it's the story telling and missions that make this game. (TOR please take note, I actually remember the NPCs and where they are based as they made such an impact on me). The storytelling will blow you away (I sometimes play "guess the stars voice") and the missions? Some will make you tear your hair out, some will have you laughing, some will make you hold your breathe, some will make you jump and not want to play in the dark. This game makes you think outside SO many boxes it will blow your socks off. It's a mixed bag of puzzles, stealth and shot em ups!

Also you will never get to that moment where you have run out of missions for your level and have to slowly grind your way to be able to unlock the next batch of missions. (points finger at TOR again) TSW doesn't work like that (thank the gods!) yes this game has had bugs (name one MMO that started out bug free?) but what is great is the devs seem to listen to the community and have been fixing those where they can. We have devs posting to say when they are working on issues/ problems and what is coming up if someone is discussing something they would like to see. The GM support in game is brilliant, the longest I've waited for help on a known mission bug was 30 minutes on a busy weekend when new content came out and they waited for me to go back to the mission I was having probs with so they could help. Also if you get stuck in game with a mission the community is pretty quick to help you out. So yes it has it's flaws but you know they are working on things to make the game better all the time, which is nice to know. The landscape and monsters are just beautifully done, sometimes it's nice to stop and look around to take it all in. I've even got into playing PvP and am loving it, even though the last few MMO's put me right off playing PvP content. yes it needs to be improved but they are working on this so things can only get better. I've not done the dungeons yet so cannot comment but they have introduced lairs to each zone for those looking for harder content and I've run screaming from a few of them. Also we get free updates and the devs have stated that they won't be doing add ons we have to pay extra for. updates normally have a few missions (which you get clothing items for completing them) and there's a new raid coming and a theatre for the RP to use! Free updates and free stuff to do keeps players happy :) we got a new barbar and plastic surgeon so we now have more looks to play with and halloween content just round the corner. what's not to love?! :) If you play 20 hours a day, like your hand being held all the time, only do PvP, like easy peasy "kill x bunny" missions and like being told what weapons you can use then maybe it's not the game for you. For the rest of you, come on over and bring a swimsuit, the water is lovely!
  69. Oct 29, 2012
    I created an account just so that I can provide my opinion of this game. I purchased this game when it launched on steam (after the initial launch) and was very disapointed with my purchase. The game was still lacking in the polish department which was unacceptible for the price paid. Text dissapearing from character names and logs, poor font visibility, and insanely poor combat animations are all things that should have been fixed before this game came out. People should not pay retail for a company to actually finish their game. I have played many MMO's over the ages, (DAoC, WoW, UO, Tera, LoTRO, GW2, etc) and trust me this is an MMO to avoid... I gave this a three due to good ideas and decent atmosphere but overall this game is a mess. Further, I honestly think NoFuncom is paying people to Lie in here... Expand
  70. Nov 8, 2012
    I've actually waited a few to come and post my 2 cents worth of a review. Mostly, because I've been wondering if at some point I would get bored with it.

Four months later... I'm still playing the game and enjoying every minute of the game play. Even if I'm just doing missions or if I'm grouping up with my cabal mates to tackle a dungeon. The main story was very compelling and even now
    I still talk about the little theories I have about the stories development with my friends.

Sure things are clunky, but what game that comes out is not without issues. WoW had them, as did EQ, Star Wars Galaxies and a slew of other games. Definitely give this game a chance and watch the content unfold, it really is worth the time.
  71. Nov 10, 2012
    The game is a blast and for an MMO the game play, setting, and story is refreshing. Unlike many MMOs as you continue through the storyline you do feel that your character is taking a side in the world conflict.

I would say this game is designed with the target audience being experienced MMO players who are tired of hight fantasy MMOs and are looking for something different. While the
    game does not strictly put you into one of the basic classes (Tank, healer, DPS) because of the open ended ability wheel and being able to hot-swap what your character does, don't think this means it's a "classless" game. The community as well as how the game mechanics work will eventually lead you to building a set of abilities that basically makes you a tank, healer, or dps. However what is nice is the variety of combinations that you can use to achieve your goal makes leveling and unlocking new abilities and trying them out to see if one is better than another a real treat.

Endgame still has the same problems as any other MMO in that once you hit it and once you've gotten all the gear you want, there's basically nothing left to do but PVP and finish up the numerous little achievement goals they set out. I hit the cap about two months ago (been playing since release) and am finally to the point where I'm not playing the game every day.

The monthly updates makes sure that there's always a reason to keep your subscription going (or at least reactivate it ever two or three months).
  72. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is great. The modern day setting, the story-line, the voice acting, the puzzles; are fresh. I like the fact that you only need one character to fill any party role. In other MMO's I would roll an alt for every class. Now I can pursue endgame content full time. If groups are needing a healer, I'm that. If they need DPS, I'm that. Still learning tanking, but if they break the glass, I can even be that.

All monsters are real. All conspiracies are real. I love this game so much, and see so much room for future content I bought my first MMO lifetime subscription.
  73. Feb 15, 2013
    The other best mmrpg out there. The best being Warhammer online, of course. Yeh, perhaps the density of monsters is too high in some areas, but altogether everything else in this game is right and might.
  74. Jan 13, 2013
    It been since bc wow that I've lost track of time where 4 hours feels like 1 cause playing is so much fun. I loved it in beta and it's come a long way since then and keeps getting better.
  75. Jan 15, 2013
    A game with original background and gameplay. Numerous and various missions. A must have when u love MMos. Puzzles in MMos are refreshing and bring a new blood in these kind of games.
  76. May 2, 2013
    This is a great game that many would find fun, but it wasn't for me. It looks good, and lets you freely mix and match skills. Unfortunately, aside from the occasional puzzle to shake things up, it pretty much plays like every other MMO. 1, 2, 3, 4, mob dead, next mob. For contrast, something like DDO (DDO.com) lets me, as a mage, use spells that will clear an entire room at once, with one spell. They give me the flexibility to have truly powerful and unique abilities something TSW simply doesn't provide, as far as I've seen. The story is interesting, the class system is interesting, but ultimately the game plays pretty much the same as every other MMO. Sad, really, considering the high hopes I had for the game after my first few hours of play. Expand
  77. Orc
    Mar 11, 2013
    Unlike others below, this game convinced me to give up on Funcom. It's incredibly buggy, incredibly exploited, crashes...often...Did I say that it's heavily exploited? A few minutes in the battle grounds and you will understand ;)

What does it have? Nice graphics and character customization options...but that doesn't make a game. The battle grounds are hit and miss on whether you
    will enjoy them, or fall asleep. As I learned, falling asleep with your head on the keyboard will get you banned...roflmao. Other games solved that problem eons ago.

Issues after months of "fixes":

Dragging items in your inventory takes a graduate degree. It's perhaps the sloppiest code ever written. The possible results range from it moves where you wanted it, it moves somewhere completely different. the game tries to (or succeeds) at destroying it, or (for consumables) sorry sucker you just drank it.

It's also a massive grind fest. In standard Funcom tradition, they are incapable of either creating in-depth content, or scaling the availability to their desired investment...you will grind and grind, and grind. But don't worry, almost every quest is repeatable (brings back memories of Age of Conan back). Yes, you will need to repeat them...forever. Good luck on new content. They fired most of their programmers months ago.

As for the story. Nice idea, very badly implemented. Despite a plethora of cut scenes, they just did a poor job of developing their story. It was a great disappointment after Age of Conan's beautiful lead in (AoC died late in the leveling scale but at least made it through a few levels of play prior to that).

Ah yes, let's not forget that this is really AoC with a new skin. Yes kiddies, its the same crappy resource hungy, unstable, gaming engine. Indeed some of the oldest bugs are still there. Just crank up the details and especially the shadow details, and you will see large patches of the world that don't quite work right. Indeed, even on low settings, I found an entire region that became unstable (as in most of it disappeared and I was left staring at the subterrain) during one of the quests.

Can it be enjoyable. Yes. Can you have fun? Yes. Is it worthwhile to play given the many alternatives? Given a choice between TSW and WoW, I would go read a book, watch a movie, or perhaps watch the birds as they fly past my house going where ever birds go this time of year.

Other issues,
  78. Jul 4, 2013
    The game, regardless of its compelling content, is crippled by its bugs and should not be played.

A year after launch, some friendly NPCs still attack players during escort quests; this has been going on forever and has apparently been fixed before. One of the few useful Blood magic elite actives kills tanks if combined with a signet; Benediction has been a problem for a while.

Many
    of the new quests that end with a cut-scene and teleport simply black out the screen and force you to reset the interface and find the continuation of the quest on your own dime. Was the main quest line supposed to teleport you elsewhere? Instead, it merely blind you, forces you to use your one teleport on long CD, and then forces you to walk to the continuation.

Problems with PvP queues prevent the majority of players from entering the massive Fusang arena, in which all three factions were supposed to meet for epic combat; some players have waited in line for eight hours. In another arena, one faction was able to win more than 200x per hour because broken queues mean they weren't matched to enemies.

Even disregarding the new game-breaking problems in PvP, the developers have barely lifted a finger to address major imbalances in all arenas. Nothing prevents farming of new-/lowbies. In Fusang, the bots that were introduced in an attempt to help underdogs do no such thing, especially since they vanish soon after capturing a facility; i.e. the underdog can't hold on to what they were just given. There were promises of matchmaking, but the population is certainly too small by this point.

It's not as if the developers have been idle. They had time to cut crit and proc rates in half for Burst abilities, an unwelcome change especially for new players who used these abilities to compensate for low stats on early gear. They had time to put a one year anniversary boss in Fusang, where it can't be accessed by most due to broken queues.

Etc., etc. The game had promise and was accompanied by a large number of promises. These and the game itself continue to be actively broken. Do not participate in this exercise in frustration.
  79. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm an avid fan of H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, zombies, and all things that go bump, and I was immediately drawn to The Secret World because of the obvious influence the horror genre has had on its sensibilities. I'd never played any MMORG's before TSW but that didn't hinder me from immediately becoming immersed into its elaborate world.

The game proper begins in Kingsmouth, Maine, an
    isolated community on Solomon Island (although one can travel to any map from here provided they know the way). Once idyllic, this Arkham inspired New England town is now overrun by zombies, sea monsters, and cosmic horrors. The few remaining holdouts provide the lion's share of the quests available on the island, though there are plenty scattered throughout. The individual quest lines conjoin to build an encompassing island narrative of what went wrong in their community, and there is so much that did. Solomon Island is a haunted, insane place, and I've greatly enjoyed uncovering its' secrets.

The strong emphasis on story telling and NPC personality really shines in TSW and the voice acting is always top notch. One of my favorites is Hayden Montag, played by Jeffery Combs, who you may recognize for portraying Herbert West in the cult horror film series Re-Animator (Re-Animator was based on H.P. Lovecraft's famous novel). Many of the characters are very aware of common horror tropes, and will casually refer to them in a very self aware, wink to the audience, breaking the fourth wall kind of way that I find incredibly endearing. This is one game where I really pay attention to what every character has to say; every single idiosyncratic word.

I am also very pleased by how much TSW plays like a dedicated adventure survival horror PC game. There are the riddles, puzzles, and the exploration familiar to adventure gamers and they are all intelligently designed and well presented, many of them requiring research, for example, into Latin, Morse code, Medieval history, even musical composition. If you take the time to figure out things on your own, you can actually learn a lot!

Having never really played any on-line cooperative games before, I really wanted more of a solo gaming experience going at my own pace, instead of a group one just running around from one checkpoint to the next, but with the option of testing the waters of team play once I had some time under my belt to become familiar with the gameplay. So far I have been able to do exactly that. None of the initial missions are too difficult to be done alone, and once most quests for one map are completed my character was well developed enough to go on alone to the next map. There are missions that are impossible to be done single-handed, but nothing that would hinder the player from progressing from area to area and going back later with a group for the rest. And missions that were first done in a group can always be replayed solo after a cooling off period if you are so inclined.

The Secret World is huge. At the time of this review there are maps in Maine, New York City, Seoul, Transylvania, Egypt, London, one in Tokyo being released soon, and more, with many locations having multiple maps themselves. They are constantly expanding their universe and it is safe to say there is enough content to last for months or years. I've played for about 60 hours so far and I haven't even made it out of New England yet!

The game does have its annoyances, but most, if not all, can be resolved throughout the learning curve. Read the stickies in the Newcomer forum on The Secret World message board as they can cut that curve in half. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 My only major complaint about the gameplay is that when sticking to the same weapons, which you must do in order to level them up, the fighting can get very repetitive.

I have thoroughly enjoyed The Secret World. It's fun, imaginative, ambitious and unpredictable. Now that it's gone free to play (no monthly subscription) I highly recommend it to anyone who loves adventure games, horror stories, or role playing. In The Secret World, death is just the beginning. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
  80. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm totally enjoying this game and it's been well worth the money i've spent. If you like your MMOs with a narrative then this is the game for you. And now that it's free to play, there's no reason to not give it a try. Expand
  81. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is an absolute groundbreaking MMO in almost every way. The story, the skill wheel, dynamic, lore - i could go on and on on how revolutionary this game is. Why "professional" gaming sites scored this on average below 8 and Star Wars the Old Republic above is proof how money is more important than quality.
    I only gave it 9 and not 10 because i think it can evolve to be even
    better. I hope that anyone that reads this review wil want to give the Secret World a chance because its really worth it. I think that projects such as this one should be supported to show that taking risks in the gaming industry to make something unique and new pays up. TRY A FREE TRIAL AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF. Expand
  82. Dec 29, 2012
    After shelling out 25 bucks for the game on steam and playing it for 30 minutes, I decided never to play the game again. It sucks that bad ! I got suckered into buying this game because of all the good reviews on here. Now I either think these people are personally insane that gave it a good rating or these are company employees posting. LOL Now after the game is supposedly free to play now with no monthly dues they still charged my credit card after I took the billing details off their website. Hands down one of the worst experiences I have had. Now I have to contest the charges on my card and all that jazz. Such a waste of time and resources for me on my end. Save yourself some time and money and DONT buy this crappy game ! Expand
  83. Oct 11, 2012
    Really 8.5 but as there are no half marks, I gave it a 9. Perfect MMO? No. Innovative MMO? Hell yes. In truth this is like a breath of fresh air in the stagnant world of MMOs, most of whom aspire to be WoW-but-looks-a-bit-different. The Secret World actually *is* different. Moreover Funcom are reactive to major bugs, the Devs actually comment in threads on the official forum and I have never had better customer service in any game from in-game GMs when I file a petition for some reason. That last point alone is probably worth 2 points on the score! The freedom this game offers from the cookie cutter 'Trinity' and 'One Best Build for Task' is very refreshing indeed. The story lines are uncompromisingly adult and the puzzles are bloody hard (the game has a modern setting and an in-game browser so you can google things!). So if you like a game to molly coddle you and not force you to think, then this is *not* the game for you. Likewise you actually have to move in this game because position matters, so if you prefer games that are essentially your min-max spreadsheet against his min-max spreadsheet, again this game might not be your cup of tea. Otherwise, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Oh and if you are a fan of the HP Lovecraft genre of horror, you will be hit in the face by all the references like a rubbery Shoggoth tentacle. Simply splendid. Expand
  84. Jan 13, 2013
    The game's topic is fascinating, some of the cut scenes are OK, and the combat system is interesting. Unfortunately, for a secret societies / end of the world game, it does not have any suspense or horror feeling.

Expect to start playing the game either with heavy support through game chat, or by searching the net for hints, as both the user interface and the quest design often is
    lacking. The community is nice and helpful, though, compared to other MMO communities, so getting started is not too bad.

I cannot imagine that a developer studio that has quite some past experience with creating and running MMOs produced such an obvious B title on purpose. My impression of the game is that it was shoved out the door both regarding design and implementation, before the funding ran out, hoping to fix some of the design errors later. "Later" never came, as many customers these days rather spend their money for finished games, having enough MMOs to choose from.
  85. Mar 7, 2013
    The style of character development takes some getting used to and some of the solo missions are a complete pain in the butt; however, it it turns out to be a very enjoyable game with great atmosphere and store lines.

I wish there was a better mechanism for finding groups, it feels very lonely for being a MMORPG. But if you manage to come with a friend or two of your own it is a lot of
    fun except those solo missions. Expand
  86. Sep 20, 2012
    The game advertises that players can choose to build their character any way they choose. That's all well and great, but the game still follows the standard tank/dps/healer model of gameplay. So obviously some character builds will be superior than others to fill these roles. And of course there will be elitist players ingame who insist that if you're not following the standard cookie cutter build, you're not really serious about group content. Still, I find the game to be enjoyable. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful. I love the horror theme of the game, something that's new in the MMO genre. I'm having fun and I continue to log in to play which says a lot more for this game than most other MMOs on the market. I think you'll enjoy it too. Expand
  87. Jun 28, 2013
    This game has great visual design and awful gameplay. I'm reviewing the gameplay. ZERO. unplayable
    There are so many games out there that deserve the exposure of TSW. TSW does not deserve any.
  88. Jul 19, 2012
    I was excited about this game. I love the concept of the strange fractured realities and so on. But since it included adult content I won't never play this game. What a shame that such a great game had to be ruined because someone can't keep his dirty mind out of the development.
  89. Aug 20, 2012
    It saddens me to see such a great MMO tanked by reviews from WoW fanboys and **** game review sites. I used to have respect for you G4, Yeah I'm talking to you! Especially as a large number of these reviews came from a closed beta that doesn't come close to comparing to the current product. Anyway, being an MMO gamer since the days of text based mud's and a huge fan of the Elder Scroll series, I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across something new and quite refreshing. Everyone that says this game has bugs is right, but just about any large-scale MMO I've played at launch has had them. It's kind of a given when you're dealing with development on such a large scale where (from a coding perspective) everything ties into just about everything else. TSW has handled the bugs fairly well, though I'm not as much of a completionist as others. If I run across something that's not working at the moment, I'll just go back and do it later. No big deal.

The story and voice acting are superb. Best I've come across in a game so far. Many times I've been drawn in, laughed out loud, or cringed due to the quality of the voice acting in this game. It really is something else. The graphics are amazing. Coming from WoW and EVE, and then taking a break from both to play FPS's on the Xbox, I was really impressed. I had always thought EVE was the most beautiful game I had seen in a long time, and didn't think another game would come close in a very long time. I was wrong. The vistas don't quite have the scope of a massive world like WoW, but the details are incredible on ultimate settings. And I end up feeling like a dirty old man checking out the combat thong on the female character in front of me that is most likely being played by a dude.......I know........sad huh.

Watching the posts, likes, comments, and reviews on Facebook, and other review sites, I find a refreshingly large number of female gamers that have been drawn into the game. It adds a wonderful balance that I will not be likely to find anywhere else outside of the Sims, and Hello Kitty Palace. The multiplayer and storyline (PvE) portion of the game is really excellent. I find myself casually grouping with random players that I encounter as I ride solo completing missions and gathering loots. We don't even have to group up, we just end up helping each other and both get credit. It's a kind of cooperative play that is really enjoyable when I don't feel like grouping or being social. Especially when I'm only casually playing in bursts while doing other **** around the house.

Character customization could be expanded. I'd love to see more options, and I'm happy to know that more will be added over time, especially as this is a new game. And I can add or tweak my customization any time I want with the soon to be added plastic surgeon and tattoo artists. TSW's only real flaw at this time is the PvP. Unfortunately, there is NO OPEN WORLD PVP. Shame on you Funcom......shame. Way to cater to the carebears. The current PvP arenas are extremely engaging at first, but end up getting repetitive over time, and don't offer the same adrenaline and challenge of open world PvP areas that I have quite enjoyed and lived in on other MMO's. I do have high hopes though as the game is still in development and I have my fingers crossed that one of these days some open world PvP will finally be added.

Overall this game will be able to keep you engaged for quite some time. Especially if you're not the achievement hunter type that tries to rush through everything to get maxxed out as quickly as possible. It's staying power is a bit lacking, but that's also something to be expected of a newly launched game as more and more content will continue to be added. I am comfortable with the fact that if I do get bored and decide to hop back on the xbox for a little while, when I come back to TSW, there will always be something new for me to explore and return to. Even without added content, the current content is engaging enough for me to repeat many times over before needing some "fresh meat" so to speak.

While PvP can lose its luster over time, it does take a while for that to happen, and new stuff is already being added to the mix.

I'd like to deduct more for lack of open-world-pvp, but TSW makes up for it in so many other areas. Goodbye EVE Online, it was nice while it lasted. I have found myself a new playground.
  90. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic game so far. It's one of those games that are seeming to become more rare these day. You know, the kinds of games that actually require you to think? Not only are the investigation quests a welcome addition to the classic fetch/collect/kill quests but they actually require you to use a little brain power and work out the solution yourself. Unless, of course, you fire up Google and just find the solution that way. I say to hell with what all the "official" review sites say, this game is a must buy. Who the hell is Quarter to Three anyway? Expand
  91. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is a whole bucket of awesome sause. The action ranges from survival horror to Indiana Jones exploration. There are also alot of hidden things (easter eggs) that are not easily found. Granted this game isn't like most and does take some time breaking out of old habits. I have found a few issues but their GM/customer support was able to help me get back on track in no time. Also their announcement of monthly content updates has made me one happy customer. Expand
  92. Aug 14, 2012
    I have never played a so polished and clean game ever before. It is one of the best MMO and we can clearly see it is Ragnar Tørnquest who are the director behide this wonderfull game. I love the grapich, the fantasy, the storysetting..

It is a wonderfull game!
  93. Aug 15, 2012
    Immersion into this well-developed, rich environment is a snap. The single player experience of TSW is the best I've ever encountered from an MMO. Even the voice acting is superb! This game is perfect for gamers looking for something more than your typical "Kill X of Y monster and collect Z of their body parts." In The Secret World, many quests are puzzles which require a level of thought beyond any MMO I've encountered - and I've played many. Something that has also helped me fall in love with this game is the community. Sure, there are your fair share of vulgar individuals; however, they seem to (fortunately) be the minority.

I've been playing this game non-stop for the past few days, and my excitement only continues to grow. It's worth mentioning that beyond seeing this game at PAX Easter I had neither followed its progress nor been exposed to any hype. Frankly, I forgot about this game entirely. After spending some time playing, though, my tune has changed entirely. There is (as of 8/15/12) a free 3-day trial being offered on Funcom's website and I *STRONGLY* encourage everyone to give it a shot. What have you got to lose? This game is a gem, and considering the nature of MMORPGs, will only shine brighter with the polish of content patches and fixes for (the VERY few) bugs present in the game.
  94. Aug 16, 2012
    This is neither a game for people who like to have everything presented to them nor one for people who think racing to the end game is the point of an mmo. It is a game for people who like to solve puzzles and who slowly go through the game savouring the content. Like other people have mentioned the world design is superb, combat is fun and if it isn't anymore I just change my skill set to something that suits my mood of the moment better and continue. The story keeps me wanting to go ahead with it and my own experience with customer support has been perfect. TSW general chat is the first one sofar where I haven't felt the need to search for the unsubscribe button first thing after entering the world. ----- It is not perfect and there are a few shortcomings and some things I wish Funcom could have solved differently which is why I didn't give it 10/10 but for me at least, it is the closest a mmo has ever come to satisfy my way of gaming. Expand
  95. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a great game. Loving the intricate stories and varied missions. The game is beautiful with and fun to play. There is so much to do from missions, dungeons, lairs, exploring, achievements and you get to use all the weapons and change from Tank to healer to DPS to suit the foe.
  96. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. If you have an appreciation for a well-crafted story, excellent graphics and a challenge unheard of in modern mmo's you should definitely give it a try. This is not a hand-holding experience. You are meant to apply your brain. It is REQUIRED that you adapt to your environment rather than faceroll your way through content. The skill system is deep, expansive and complex, which creates it's own kind of metagame and you are never locked into a particular playstyle. Feel like healing? Swap to a healing build, Tanking? Throw on a few hp/defense/block items and change it up. As with any new MMO if you play hard you will run out of new stuff so I suggest taking it slow and savoring the experience.

The Dev team is passionate and communicate better than any team in any game I've ever played and aren't afraid to tell the whiners that it's MEANT to be hard.

You owe it to yourself to check this game out.
  97. Aug 17, 2012
    As a veteran of many MMO over the past 10 years, I find TSW to be one of the most unique and entertaining. Its story telling and use of voice acting is top notch. Its atmosphere as a Horror MMO is also top notch. Its investigation missions (puzzles and research based) are innovative and never seen in any of the MMOs in my experience.

More importantly, The Devs and GMs are dedicated
    to refining and making TSW a long lasting experience. GM support in-game has been excellent. Some of the bugs (non of them Earth shattering in my opinion) have addressed, while others are being worked on. New content has been added and will be added for the game's first two months.

9/10 in my book.
  98. Aug 18, 2012
    I think that much of the negative press that this game has received is due to the critics having to pay the game for a few days and write a review about it. This works for some the less complex MMO's where it is easy to set up a cookie cutter character that is the same as 10,000 others in the game, and do just fine. The Secret World actually requires you to experiment and think for yourself when building a character and that same complexity is going to be a turn off to the instant gratification segment of players.

If you give this game an honest chance and are not the type of person that wants a strategy guide to build your toon for you then TSW is a very fun game with some amazing depth. It still has som glitches and issues that the folks at Funcom are working to repair, but I would rather play a game with some problems and great potential than another WOW clone designed for 2nd graders.
  99. Aug 19, 2012
    The Secret World is not a game for everyone. Its a thinking person's game. Personally I find the setting, the art work, the cut scenes and voice overs to be FANTASTIC. This is a game that will challenge you and will challenge most gamer's perspective - because it is not a simple game. It is not like the thousands of Ever Quest/Ultima Online spawn that has been on the market for over a decade. Its unique with some HUGE changes to the genre.

If you like adventure games, brain teasers, really tough boss fights, a literate community - then TSW may be your game. If you like to sign on, have your hand held and given loot easily, you will find TSW an unappealing game.

If you like The Longest Journey or Dreamfall, Ragnar Tornquist's games or Deus Ex or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then you would like this game. If you like games by Blizzard or Arena Net (NC Soft) then this game may not be appealing.

To me, this is the best MMORPG on the market and I am very happy with my Lifetime Subscription.
  100. Aug 20, 2012
    Excellent game - the investigation missions are particularly fun, but it contains all the good Funcom trademarks - well supported guilds ('cabals'), immersive storyline, etc. The only thing preventing a 10/10 are the character graphics which - especially on lipsync mode - are not as smooth as they could be.

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.