8.2

1. X0R
    Aug 1, 2012
    This is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issuesThis is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issues that I expect a new MMO launch to have, but none ever frustrate me or make me want to quit - I need to take a week off from work to soak it up. Expand
  2. Jul 27, 2012
    This game was quite the surprise for me. First of this is a game by Funcom, which doesn
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in orderIt is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  4. Jul 13, 2012
    Engaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery andEngaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery and the ability to share this experience with other players. If you want to get to the endgame as fast as you can, then choose something else to play. 10 out of 10 because the trolls can suck it. Expand
  5. Jul 16, 2012
    A modern day fairy tale except that the fae in TSW aren't the ones born when the first baby laughed for the very first time, but rather the naughty demon fairies that kill, maim and kidnap for fun. In this parts
  6. Aug 10, 2012
    First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007.First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007. Definitely worth trying. Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2012
    Not quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going toNot quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going to start out small, but grow continuously throughout it's life span. If funcom keeps the game up to date, you're going to be hearing ALOT more about TSW than you have in the past. Expand
  8. Jul 13, 2012
    I had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics areI had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics are extremely well done, the BEST pvp zone ive ever seen, up to 200 people all at once in a persistent pvp area that grants in world bonuses for the entire faction! i find myself wanting to skip work just so i can unravel one more mystery. Im an especially picky player, but ill say, the secret world blew my mind. Expand
  9. Jul 31, 2012
    This game set new standards in MMOs with regards to storytelling and questing. A unique and interesting story based on modern age mixed with fantasy elements plays out exceptionally well. The story and it's characters are very well done, and I liked the tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in as well. Voice over is used extensively, and is high quality throughout which adds to the immersion. ThisThis game set new standards in MMOs with regards to storytelling and questing. A unique and interesting story based on modern age mixed with fantasy elements plays out exceptionally well. The story and it's characters are very well done, and I liked the tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in as well. Voice over is used extensively, and is high quality throughout which adds to the immersion. This is done even better than in SWTOR in my opinion, although in TSW it's not been hyped as aggressively.

The quests (or missions in TSW terms) bring a bunch of fresh ideas to MMOs, and many times during your missions it really feels like you are playing a very good adventure or puzzle game instead of the stereotypical kill x mobs or gather y resources found in most MMOs. Sabotage missions have you sneak around mobs and avoid traps instead of killing. In investigation missions you uncover information about the game world by doing research and solving puzzles.

The game is not perfect: there is a steeper than normal learning curve for MMO, mainly due to lack of tutorials and a bit confusing skill system, at least to the casual player. Some of the missions are much harder than many current MMOs offer. But the lack of hand-holding and the flexibility of the skill system do reward players who wish to explore and learn things by themselves. I would be one of them!

All in all, an excellent MMO for a more adult audience that sets itself apart from the traditional constraints of the genre.
  10. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm impressed.

The game plays well, the quests are a nice blend of dead simple smaller tasks all the way up to the large scale mind boggling hard ones. I just love the way they blend into the "real world" with small details. (E.g. if you find an URL on equipment or in a computer log, you can in all the cases I've tried it just open a real world browser in game and type in that URL to go to an actual website. [minor spoiler]In some cases you might even have to do it to research the problem at hand.[/minor spoiler])

The point deducted comes from bugs, primarily in aggro from mobs, but also in some missions which does not play out the way there are supposed to do. But with the kind of attention the GMs are giving the player in game, problems are mostly sorted within minutes. (All my petitions has been handled within 30 minutes.)

Get the bugs sorted, and this thing will shine as the gem it really is.
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    It's unlike any MMO I've played before. I personally find the combat far superior to GW2 and like the graphic style and locations. It also plays at a nice pace (much more relaxed than most MMO's). I missions (quests) have thought involved and don't rely on the constant 'Hello I need 15 apples from the forest' crap. This alone makes this game stand out. I wanted to grab it at release butIt's unlike any MMO I've played before. I personally find the combat far superior to GW2 and like the graphic style and locations. It also plays at a nice pace (much more relaxed than most MMO's). I missions (quests) have thought involved and don't rely on the constant 'Hello I need 15 apples from the forest' crap. This alone makes this game stand out. I wanted to grab it at release but with so many other games at the time, I neglected it. With the now buy and play deal (aka no more monthly fees) it seemed like the perfect time to test drive the game. People's views on games varies hugely and TSW is no exception here. I hear that the initial release had many mission breaking bugs and assume that's why the critic reviews score it so low. So far, I'm yet to find any of these and think that if it was re-reviewed in it's current state the critical score would be much higher. I for one will champion TSW as it deserves the praise. I just joined the Firefall beta and was extremely unimpressed with it. People need to look at new ways to entertain the public. TSW does this. Buy and enjoy. Expand
  12. Oct 5, 2012
    Simply the only mmo i can play and have fun.The character development is huge you can bent your character quite easily into what your desire and not start about the huge breathtaking scenario,world and of course the innovative skills and ability systems without any class or fancy armor or stupid orcs.
  13. Aug 13, 2012
    A strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends toA strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends to play together even from different servers.

There are three things I think really stand out for this game:

-Non-linear character progression
    There are no levels in this game. There are nine weapon types, from which you can equip any two at a time, and each has it's own skill tree with about 50 abilities. These trees start with cheap, up-front abilities, and branch into more expensive, specialized ones. The catch is, at any time you're limited to 7 active (clicky) abilities, and 7 passive abilities. The game facilitates and encourages swapping these in and out as your situation requires, which can be done instantly and freely anytime you're out of combat. This is way more enjoyable customization than what "talent trees" and classes in other MMOs tend to provide. It also tends to solve the natural lack of tanks/healers, since these roles have the option to deal damage with a simple gear/spec swap.

-Engaging story and dungeons
    Most of your experience points will come from completing quests, which are usually much better than those offered up in other MMOs, and are repeatable on about a day's cooldown. The game differentiates between different kinds of quests, and by design limits you to one main quest at a time, making it more engaging and less of a to-do kill list. Action quests are closest to your standard MMO fair: you kill a progression of baddies usually culminating with some big baddie at the end. Sabotage missions typically involve sneaking around some cameras, traps, or high-powered guards, with very minimal fighting. Investigation missions will test your puzzling skills and imagination, and even require looking up information outside of the game (hieroglyphics, Morse code, ISBN numbers on books, etc). The latter can be incredibly rewarding both in xp and in the atypical nature of the quest, though like any puzzle game solutions can also be found online.

Dungeons are very well streamlined. Trash pulls are almost non-existent, so the group can focus on the real meat of group instanced combat: the boss fights. There's plenty going on during the fights, almost every fight has you dodging some badness, reacting to changing phases and adds, etc. Roles tend to stay pretty close to the "holy-trinity" of tank+healer+3dps, but the nature of setting up your 7 actives/passives leaves within that quite a bit of room for diversity - off heals/tank are definitely possible, and anyone can opt for a personal heal/cleanse at the cost of one of those 7 precious slots.

-Social
    It's the little things. Like most MMOs Secret World breaks into server instances to manage its user base into manageable chunks. Unlike most MMOs, Funcom didn't make this into an artificial barrier to playing with your friends. Your friends list seamlessly crosses servers, and you can join a group with someone on another server and temporarily hop to their server to play.

Because there are no levels, there's no level gap, either. You can group with another player regardless of different power levels, and complete missions, and not feel penalized for it, and because you can repeat most missions you can always find something to do together.

These two things together might easily be the biggest selling point for the MMO, and they're so simple it's stupid, but so many other AAA MMO games get it wrong, in my opinion. The most important thing in an MMO game is the game should be multiplayer friendly, you should be able to join your friends and find rewarding content to enjoy effortlessly - and Funcom nailed this.
  14. Dec 3, 2012
    The dialogue and story are where this game really shines. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the humor in this game.

The downside is solo play. Even more than most MMOs, this game (like all Funcom games) is really designed for very social gamers. If you prefer to solo TSW can be incredibly grindy and frustrating.
  15. Aug 13, 2012
    This is, simply put, the best and most original MMORPG I have ever played. So if you're looking for a game set in present day, which flirts a lot with the horror genre and has a great depth when it comes to storytelling, then this game is definitely for you.
  16. Aug 13, 2012
    Immersive, exciting, daring, attention grabbing and yes sometimes frustrating. All these adjectives describe my adventures in The Secret World.

In this place I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do... A sexy axe weilding brunnette who can shoot lightning from her fingers.... a frumpy old man with a shotgun in his hands and pistols at his side.... an innocent co-ed just rolled out of bed, still in her bunny slippers wielding an assault rifle and a pair of fist weapons, more deadly than her cute smile would indicate..

This is an MMO unlike any I have ever played. The learning curve is higher than average but there are many opportunities to learn in cleverly placed solo instances along your journey that make you break away from the pack so you can use your build to face the challenge laid before you... If you fail you have the opportunity to change your actives or passives as you need to defeat the challenge... If you cannot, go out earn some more xp and pick up the abilities that you failed to do so in the past so you can come back in and win.

I can tank, heal and dps all on the same toon.. I can build a straight out healer or a combination of skills as unique or cookie cutter as I want... Exploration... OMG! I investigate and solve riddles that make me find it within myself to translate morse code, read runes, follow signals, search google for both well and unknown litterature and art all on my journey through the world.

I feel like I cannot fully express the contents of the secret world... It really can be what you want it to be. If you allow yourself to progress at your pace and fully immerse yourself in the game it can be a fun escape... I cannot wait to face the gatekeeper and see how I do. The gatekeeper is a solo challenge that you must win in order to enter the nightmare modes. You can face him as a tank, dps or a healer... you must face him alone. Some people make it look easy, others have been unable to pass... I don't know what type of challenge faces me but I cannot wait to find out.

The only area I am waiting for improvement on is the PVP. I love some PVP but this game does't quite do it for me.... A 3 faction fight has alll sorts of fun written all over it. It will happen though, eventually.. until then I can get my PVP fix elsewhere.. the rest of the world is just amazing....
  17. Aug 13, 2012
    this game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secretthis game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secret world . why people are turn off by the secret world is because no one knows about it. quest titles are fun to read and fun to try to finger out how to do the quest "Hell and Bach " some quest like hell and bach needs you to ask for help do you wan to know why you need to pay attention to what is given to in the 1 part of the quest ORDERINT DUM METUANT this is latan for "Let them hate as long as they fear Expand
  18. IMC
    Aug 13, 2012
    This game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to otherThis game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to other released titles these past years. If you are one of those people that has been almost dying waiting for a change of scenery and innovation in the never-ending copy-cat mmo industry, TSW is for. And the fun has only began. Expand
  19. Aug 13, 2012
    Despite the Critic reviews, I bought this game, and I am super glad I did. Clearly the critics didn't actually play the game because it has so many good things about it.

First and foremost the graphics and story are phenomenal. The cut scenes and voice acting make me look forward to the missions. The graphics are exceptionally well done and suit the story and environment perfectly.

The game mechanics are also very well done. There are no "classes" or "levels", and surprisingly it really does work. You can make any type of character you like based on the skills you choose. And what's really great is that you never have to reroll your character because quests are repeatable so you can earn more points to try new skills. Also, although I haven't tried it, you can advance your character via PvP battles, but I am too wrapped up in the awesome story and side quests to do that.

Speaking of which... I am 42 hours into the game and it has been a blast. Even if there is no endgame content when I finish it in another 50-60 hours, I am very glad at having spent the $50 I paid for this game.

So, try the game despite the critics reviews. Maybe they got paid off to bad mouth it. Maybe they just didn't bother learning the ropes of a game that is very much NOT A COOKIE CUTTER CLONE of any MMO's in recent history. The game has very open ended ways to play it, so if it's hand holding you want, stick with WoW or any of it's clones.
  20. Aug 14, 2012
    I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry.I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. The content is actually difficult (in Nightmare mode) and highly dynamic. The community is great. Never takes more than 5 minutes to find a group for anything I'd like to work on. Are there a few bugs, sure. But the game has been live for only a few months and they're fixing things everyday. I'm a lifetime subscriber and will play this for a LONG time. Thank you Funcom. Expand
  21. Aug 14, 2012
    This MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it givesThis MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it gives the game some real versatility, and you never are in a position where you regret your class choice, because there are no classes! Want to do something else? Just buy the abilities with experience and do it. Expand
  22. Aug 14, 2012
    If you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would beIf you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would be unhelpful to you as a player. Questing and builds have to be treated entirely differently. For instance, questing is about stories, not about loot or XP farming. You can only pursue one major quest actively. This means if you take a new quest your other quest is paused. Meaning you can't just collect a list of chores and go do them. Even if you were allowed to do this it would be extremely difficult as some of the people near the initial quest givers give quests for much more experienced characters. You want to choose one quest, and follow the quest chain all across the zone until you are brought back to the hub. Character builds are different in that there are no classes, or restrictions on how many abilities you can get. There are weapons, and restrictions on what kind of abilities you can have actively. The system is confusing at first, and you will make mistakes. However these mistakes end up just being another set of options you have later. You really only need one character, and you never need to repeat content if you don't want to. The game is young and has a few flaws. It has bugs, and it is thirsty for all those small pieces of content that older games are riddled with (homes, marriages,new clothing). PvP is kind of an after thought, and if you are thirsty for pvp content honestly I would suggest Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends as those provide great pvp for free. Expand
  23. Aug 15, 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. The skill system allows me to decide how I want to play my character. The quests are well thought out and written. Last night I got the chills investigating a haunted asylum. I've mostly solo'd my way so far and am not rushing the game by any means. After a month and a half, just entering the second major zone.

Graphically it looks great whether I'm

Graphically it looks great whether I'm running it on my desktop or laptop computers. I haven't had any crash to desktop issues. And only experienced a few minor bugs in quests (both of which were handled by friendly GM's within 5 minutes of me posting a petition about it).

They've just announced their second "Issue" of new content; so the game continues to grow and evolve.

Some areas do need some work. PvP is a bit lackluster at the moment. But there are also some changes coming to the battlegrounds which may help address those. We'll wait and see.

I'm no where near endgame yet; so can't really comment on dungeons or raids so far.

At this point, though, I was already bailing out of SWTOR and some other recent MMO releases. With TSW I feel like I could be here a year or two from now and still enjoying myself.
  24. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is nothing for pigeonholing. This game makes many things absolutely different, others are similar to well known schemata. The quest design is great. Action, sabotage, investigation, delivery quests. Quests, where you have to think. (omg, using my brain!) Quests, that can be done completely without fighting.
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are better ones out there. But also worse.
    The whole story is amazing, as well as the setting. It's different from everything out there. I love the way dungeons are designed. And I mean the optic and the fights both. I like the fact, that there is not that much trash. And I love, that bosses need tactic and are not only tank and spank.
    The game has a great skill system. But yes, that system and the game design at all requires the player to change his builds if necessary. That's not for everyone, not for people who say "I only want to play with these weapons and that abilities.". But in fact, it is giving players more space to develop as so many other MMOs.
    I am absolutely curious how everything will go one. I'm looking forward to the first raid and the first new zone.
    Great game, just give it a chance and stop pigeonholing ;)
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    This is the best game I have played for a very long time. TSW makes you actually think about the missions and the choices you make in the game. The skill wheel is a genuis idea, even though you can only use 2 weapons at any one time (plus we get an extra weapon later we can use as an extra) you are not tied to them or their passive skills, you can pick a choose a passive from anywhere onThis is the best game I have played for a very long time. TSW makes you actually think about the missions and the choices you make in the game. The skill wheel is a genuis idea, even though you can only use 2 weapons at any one time (plus we get an extra weapon later we can use as an extra) you are not tied to them or their passive skills, you can pick a choose a passive from anywhere on the wheel. Not happy with pistols? Then pick another weapon. none of your weapons have impair? then choose from a range of passives that can fix that for you. The points do come thick and fast which means you don't have to grind to get more points, a blessing in the beginning of the game when you are starting out and may make some mistakes. The ability to use any passives you want is one of the best ideas I have seen in an MMO for a long time. "YOU" get to pick and choose what you want to use, not what the devs want you to use. But it's the story telling and missions that make this game. (TOR please take note, I actually remember the NPCs and where they are based as they made such an impact on me). The storytelling will blow you away (I sometimes play "guess the stars voice") and the missions? Some will make you tear your hair out, some will have you laughing, some will make you hold your breathe, some will make you jump and not want to play in the dark. This game makes you think outside SO many boxes it will blow your socks off. It's a mixed bag of puzzles, stealth and shot em ups!

Also you will never get to that moment where you have run out of missions for your level and have to slowly grind your way to be able to unlock the next batch of missions. (points finger at TOR again) TSW doesn't work like that (thank the gods!) yes this game has had bugs (name one MMO that started out bug free?) but what is great is the devs seem to listen to the community and have been fixing those where they can. We have devs posting to say when they are working on issues/ problems and what is coming up if someone is discussing something they would like to see. The GM support in game is brilliant, the longest I've waited for help on a known mission bug was 30 minutes on a busy weekend when new content came out and they waited for me to go back to the mission I was having probs with so they could help. Also if you get stuck in game with a mission the community is pretty quick to help you out. So yes it has it's flaws but you know they are working on things to make the game better all the time, which is nice to know. The landscape and monsters are just beautifully done, sometimes it's nice to stop and look around to take it all in. I've even got into playing PvP and am loving it, even though the last few MMO's put me right off playing PvP content. yes it needs to be improved but they are working on this so things can only get better. I've not done the dungeons yet so cannot comment but they have introduced lairs to each zone for those looking for harder content and I've run screaming from a few of them. Also we get free updates and the devs have stated that they won't be doing add ons we have to pay extra for. updates normally have a few missions (which you get clothing items for completing them) and there's a new raid coming and a theatre for the RP to use! Free updates and free stuff to do keeps players happy :) we got a new barbar and plastic surgeon so we now have more looks to play with and halloween content just round the corner. what's not to love?! :) If you play 20 hours a day, like your hand being held all the time, only do PvP, like easy peasy "kill x bunny" missions and like being told what weapons you can use then maybe it's not the game for you. For the rest of you, come on over and bring a swimsuit, the water is lovely!
  26. Jul 4, 2013
    The game, regardless of its compelling content, is crippled by its bugs and should not be played.

A year after launch, some friendly NPCs still attack players during escort quests; this has been going on forever and has apparently been fixed before. One of the few useful Blood magic elite actives kills tanks if combined with a signet; Benediction has been a problem for a while. Many

Many of the new quests that end with a cut-scene and teleport simply black out the screen and force you to reset the interface and find the continuation of the quest on your own dime. Was the main quest line supposed to teleport you elsewhere? Instead, it merely blind you, forces you to use your one teleport on long CD, and then forces you to walk to the continuation.

Problems with PvP queues prevent the majority of players from entering the massive Fusang arena, in which all three factions were supposed to meet for epic combat; some players have waited in line for eight hours. In another arena, one faction was able to win more than 200x per hour because broken queues mean they weren't matched to enemies.

Even disregarding the new game-breaking problems in PvP, the developers have barely lifted a finger to address major imbalances in all arenas. Nothing prevents farming of new-/lowbies. In Fusang, the bots that were introduced in an attempt to help underdogs do no such thing, especially since they vanish soon after capturing a facility; i.e. the underdog can't hold on to what they were just given. There were promises of matchmaking, but the population is certainly too small by this point.

It's not as if the developers have been idle. They had time to cut crit and proc rates in half for Burst abilities, an unwelcome change especially for new players who used these abilities to compensate for low stats on early gear. They had time to put a one year anniversary boss in Fusang, where it can't be accessed by most due to broken queues.

Etc., etc. The game had promise and was accompanied by a large number of promises. These and the game itself continue to be actively broken. Do not participate in this exercise in frustration.
  27. Jul 16, 2012
    This game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged byThis game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged by thoughtful interesting plot development, and immersing myself in some of the most well done and atmospheric zone design ever. And no levels! The ability to eventually learn every skill in the game with one toon! I have heard that PvP is a little lackluster, but I haven't tried it yet. Funcom, fool me once (AO), fool me twice (AoC), knock it out of the park here. Wait, what!?! Expand
  28. Jul 7, 2012
    Ok this game is nothing like the other MMO's that I've played before. First of all there's no such thing as level. And it feels actually bad ass because a 2 year long player can even fail a starting quest like the beginners. (ofc if he/she got distracted etc) And the game's actually HARD. How come? Like I said there's no leveling and you can master every skill and that brings to playerOk this game is nothing like the other MMO's that I've played before. First of all there's no such thing as level. And it feels actually bad ass because a 2 year long player can even fail a starting quest like the beginners. (ofc if he/she got distracted etc) And the game's actually HARD. How come? Like I said there's no leveling and you can master every skill and that brings to player think a bit. Which also shoo away wow-kids from the game;) From what I've been telling mechanics are ok but this game's newly released. It's going to patched fixed etc. So I'm changing subject to another topic instead of talking something going to change in the future for sure. Here are the things that I don't like. The number one thing that I hate is the font selection. WHY THE HELL YOU'D USE FUTURA? IT'S NOT 80'S! Ugh... And the UI is literally hurts my eyes. It's obviously been rushed and art directors didn't gave a crap to revise. But that's actually %50 important to make the game UNDERSTANDABLE. If you do not put sweat what's going on with the UI you'll never understand what did you just unlocked or achieved. because every single object is scattered around the monitor. I can guess they were trying to minimalistic but that's not it. That's an UI sketch. Not even processed. That's actually NOT a thing a game company would forget to check. because nowadays %50 of the consumers want nice appeal. and believe me TSW is going to loose most of their potential customers if they don't fix their horrendous UI. But if you don't give a crap about UI and check metacritic if this game's good or not, I could advice you to give it a shot. I cannot say you could love it because it's REALLY a diffirent MMO. (it may feel like tera online from the teasers and gameplay videos but it's not even remotely similar) Expand
  29. Aug 1, 2012
    The most immersive MMO I've ever played. The attention of detail put into even the smalles things in this diverse universe is astonishing. The skill & combat system is complex but not complicated, it allows quick switches between different playstyles (tank, DPS, healer, melee, ranged, etc.) and quite variable builds.
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining immersion and self-referencing on a meta-level.

As everyone knows Funcom's support has managed to build up some bad rap over the years. Apparently they finally managed to get it together. GMs respond within minutes to your requests with personal messages (no automated BS).
    With the first content update after only a month of release, it seems as if they can hold up to their promises of monthly free content updates that keep the universe dynamic and interesting.
  30. Jul 7, 2012
    I am giving this game a 10 not because it is perfect but because so far it has greatly exceeded my expectations. First game in a long time in which I lose all track of time. Very deep game. The launch was so smooth it did not feel like a launch. I was early access and have been dc'd twice in 8 days and have had no stuttering, lag or rubber-banding. The game play is centered more onI am giving this game a 10 not because it is perfect but because so far it has greatly exceeded my expectations. First game in a long time in which I lose all track of time. Very deep game. The launch was so smooth it did not feel like a launch. I was early access and have been dc'd twice in 8 days and have had no stuttering, lag or rubber-banding. The game play is centered more on story, problem solving and the like so if that is not something you like this isn't a game for you. Expand
  31. Jul 15, 2012
    This game is 8.5 rating but apparently metracritic doesn't let you do that so I just round up to 9 because this game is more a 9 than an 8.

This is the most unique MMO to date and stands out above the rest. When was the last time you played a modern-day MMO? Exactly. Not only is the atmosphere immersive, the story and questing are the most enjoyable aspect for me because it keeps you engaged and makes you want to learn more and although there are your typical kill x amount quests here and there it has a story behind. Investigation and sabotage missions steals the show and really breaks out of the typical MMO questing system. In some of these missions you have to do research outside the game to come to a solution or you may have to go stealth and avoid combat altogether. Not to mention, this has been the only MMO that I actually listen/read the quests and lore (I normally just hit OK and go kill 20 monsters in other MMO's), this shows you how intriguing the story is.

I also love the classless system, it reminds me a lot of Skyrim (which I also really enjoyed) and no levels is a welcome addition, no longer will you can't play with your friends because you're too low level. It only comes down to your abilities and how you build your character.

Overall, I highly recommend this game if you're an MMO fan that wants something different. Are you tired of fantasy medieval settings, fetch and kill quests, bland storylines, marathon dash to max level so you can start playing the "real" game? Look no further and enter the Secret World.
  32. Jul 19, 2012
    The most fun I've had playing a computer game since Halo first hit. Some of the best characters and story I've seen in a computer game. This game deserves to be a big hit - it's awesome.
  33. Jul 19, 2012
    I have been enthralled by this game for the past few weeks. Witty, tongue-in-cheek writing paired with great graphics and interesting game mechanics have provided me with a good deal of enjoyment. Where other recent MMOs reward you for grinding, The Secret World gives you greater reward for thinking outside of the box and using intelligence which seems to give the player a sense ofI have been enthralled by this game for the past few weeks. Witty, tongue-in-cheek writing paired with great graphics and interesting game mechanics have provided me with a good deal of enjoyment. Where other recent MMOs reward you for grinding, The Secret World gives you greater reward for thinking outside of the box and using intelligence which seems to give the player a sense of accomplishment that other MMOs fall short with. The only complaints I have is that the combat system is similar to the other MMOs, and the game might have benefited from a little more testing and bug squashing before release. All in all I give this game a 9.5 of 10. I can't wait to see where the Funcom takes TSW from here! Expand
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    Simply superb game that I am really happy to play! Lifer here! :) Recommended for both casual and hardcore players. Solve puzzles, enjoy deep and really fun quests, especially the investigation missions that will send you searching for ansvers in totally new ways. Especially recommended for mmo veterans that I am sure will love this game!
  35. Jul 23, 2012
    Amazing 'new' take on mmo genere. 'New' as it takes some of the old non-level character building system which all recent mmos mesmerised in WoW success seem to forgot... and bring back to the table along no need for 'respecs' or alt grinding. First mmo which managed to actually introduced old school style quests which take more time to figure out how than repeatedly do aka 'grind' your wayAmazing 'new' take on mmo genere. 'New' as it takes some of the old non-level character building system which all recent mmos mesmerised in WoW success seem to forgot... and bring back to the table along no need for 'respecs' or alt grinding. First mmo which managed to actually introduced old school style quests which take more time to figure out how than repeatedly do aka 'grind' your way through. Sure You can cheese your way through content by just looking up solutions to puzzles but this game does its fair share of changing such 'grind through and get to max-level' attitude. Excellent work. Expand
  36. Jul 20, 2012
    The Secret World is the best MMOG i have played in about 13 years of MMO gaming. The World has a great atmosphere. The NPCs have deep characters and their stories are actually worth listening to. The Background story is complex, exciting and very interesting to experience. The mission design is great, especially the investigation missions that really need a lot of thinking out of the box.The Secret World is the best MMOG i have played in about 13 years of MMO gaming. The World has a great atmosphere. The NPCs have deep characters and their stories are actually worth listening to. The Background story is complex, exciting and very interesting to experience. The mission design is great, especially the investigation missions that really need a lot of thinking out of the box. Finding a group (at least on Kobold) isnt hard, theres lots of other players to meet everywhere.
    Then why only 8 of 10? Because there are flaws. Of course - its a MMOG!
    Most of them are minor bugs, that can be a nuisance sometimes, but arent gamebreaking. Then theres some features missing, that should be there at launch, but thats by far not as bad as it was in SWTOR. Thats 1 point minus.
    The other point is the PvP. Its fun for a while and all, but it needs A LOT of polishing. the two battlegrounds get boring quite fast and the persistent PvP map is nothing but a Zerg fest, where the faction with the most players wins. So that either you join the Zerg or you die. TSW definetly needs more PvP maps and a lot more complex persistent PvP goals and mechanics.
    Other than that, the game is simply great. Everyone should at least try it!
  37. Jul 7, 2012
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.
    A very dynamic combat, dynamic graphics, and a truly new, with everything it has... new gaming experience...
    Funcom has achieved something other companies so many times had failed to do so, doing something new. All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.

All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more players can just learn so much from it.
  38. Jul 13, 2012
    Now I am very biased towards this particular genre. I absolutely love "World of Darkness" style lore. Modern settings with ghouls and goblins strike a real chord in me, and Funcom has capitalized upon it beautifully with The Secret World. Everything about the game is immersive, from the zombies gnawing frantically on rotten corpses to the crashed cars and shattered store fronts. The questsNow I am very biased towards this particular genre. I absolutely love "World of Darkness" style lore. Modern settings with ghouls and goblins strike a real chord in me, and Funcom has capitalized upon it beautifully with The Secret World. Everything about the game is immersive, from the zombies gnawing frantically on rotten corpses to the crashed cars and shattered store fronts. The quests are voiced, the ability combinations are nearly infinite, and the dungeons are far from faceroll. The Secret World has all its bases covered as far as I'm concerned.

What can I say? I'm hooked.
  39. Jul 22, 2012
    I did not know how I would feel about this game. I wasnt even planning on buying it, but I to a shot and was very happy, I have been playing SWTOR (Star Wars The Old Republic) but found the story a little boring. The Secret World has a amazing story, and fresh new ideas. Yes with every new mmo there is a few problems, but they will for sure works those out.
  40. Jul 24, 2012
    I've played many a PC game over a long time and quite a few MMOs. This by far my favourite MMO. Sure the toon creation could do with more options and PVP has its issues but otherwise it is a fun flavour filled game. Try it.
  41. Aug 13, 2012
    The atmosphere and aesthetics of this game are just through the roof compared with any other MMORPG I've played. The scenery, the NPCs, the quests are all truly very well done - and the investigation quests are of old-school puzzle RPG complexity and will really force you to think out of the box. The flexibility of the classless ability wheel provides for a ton of on-the-fly gameplayThe atmosphere and aesthetics of this game are just through the roof compared with any other MMORPG I've played. The scenery, the NPCs, the quests are all truly very well done - and the investigation quests are of old-school puzzle RPG complexity and will really force you to think out of the box. The flexibility of the classless ability wheel provides for a ton of on-the-fly gameplay variety (and you'll need to use it and swap abilities in and out later in the game). Combat is fun and dynamic, where positioning matters versus most mobs - they'll use AoE effects you should dodge, plenty of options to break LOS to mobs with cast time abilities, and versus groups you can line them up so they get in each other's way and only a few can hit you at a time. The instances are very fun and rewarding, with interesting boss mechanics and hardly any trash mobs. And the classless system means it is really easy for people to jump into tank and healer roles so you can form a viable group. Expand
  42. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen atI'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen at launch, and it's already improving. This game gets all the thumbs up!

Other moments of awesome of interest: Getting to use sledgehammers, axes, shotguns, chainsaws, and flamethrowers against zombies. Losing a helicopter ride to Cthulhu's cousin. Getting to wear denim in combat (armor gets sweaty, yanno?) [spoiler] ing the freaking legendary [spoiler] [spoiler] away from [spoiler] . (Seriously, you can't miss it.) Going to have to stop there, because a lot of the awesome gets spoiler-y quick.

Practical awesomeness: Builds are powerful because of synergy, and buffed by gear. I had a tank that debuffed enemy offense, buffed his own health and damage resist, and hulked out on command. The debuffed enemies also triggered a number of benefits. Swapping a few powers around produced an insanely resilient solo build.

Toon clothing is cheap, and some of it's unlocked by achievement. It has nothing to do with stats... so your appearance is a matter of personal taste. I confess, I've walked to the clothing shoppe after unlocking a nice jacket... because I wanted some pants to go with it. Some faction-specific costumes are quite stunning. (Not all. Some.)

You have an absurdly high maximum for inventory space. At the high end, you can absolutely keep several sets of gear only varying in their secondary stats, to help with various builds. At the mid-range, you can easily set aside some space for crafting. There is no craft skill. Consumable kits and raw ingredients obtained via milling and refining gear you don't need anymore comprise the whole of it. The crafting is less about making something more potent, and more about upgrading that one stubborn slot you haven't found a replacement for in ages.

Some quests are about using interactive terrain features to avoid combat. Set off a car alarm to make a guard leave their post. Avoid security cameras and laser tripwires. Find access codes to open a gate... or find a good spot to jump over the fence. Sneaking around mobs is always a fun part of MMOs... and there are missions that reward it.

Grouping cross-dimension is allowed, and encouraged, and a thoroughly underrated benefit. Being able to run a pick-up-group with people around the globe means night owls in one part of the planet can team up with early risers overseas when you finally have time to run that dungeon you wanted... but nobody in your time zone is online.

Quest tracking is very different. One "main" mission, The Story Mission, and 3 side missions. Dungeon missions have their own slot too. "Main" missions are given by a character, with a cutscene. Side missions are interesting elements you find lying about. A note, an odd artifact, a trail of blood... The rewards are not huge, but they are often quick, and built to lead you to where another quest starts. If you pick up another quest, you pause the first until you resume it from the source... with your progress saved.

In-game browser at a button-press is included in the game, pointing to google. It isn't a joke. I had to research a couple articles to solve quests. I've needed paper and pencil to crack cryptography. Or to look up a solution, so I could benefit from someone else typing out binary or transcribing morse code to figure out coordinates, or getting a laptop password cracked.

In other words:

The game is levelless, makes you work at solving problems, makes you look closely, at the world, and explore. The writing is solid. The characters are interesting. The ability system is extremely interesting (and I'm pretty sure you can't actually have an "optimal" build, because situations vary... and a lot of things work just fine). With the plans to keep adding more content monthly (which sounds like a crazy-fast release schedule to me, mad props if they can keep that up.) I doubt I'll be getting bored anytime soon. :)
  43. Aug 13, 2012
    I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously,I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously, the infrastructure setup is phenomenal. No server crashes or lag in the most populated areas of the game at all. To make things even better, Funcom actually listens to the community and makes changes based on player feed back.

Second, I gotta hand it to all the derps who wrote reviews regarding EA and how any game problems are their fault. We all know EA turns to crap anything it touches, but EA has nothing to do with TSW except for the publishing, you know, the distribution aspect. They have no control over how the game is made in any way, shape or form. Zero development control. Learn to do your research first.

I've had the chance to read some of the lower score reviews other people have written and it's quite clear that some majority of them are WoW babies who aren't used to having a game that doesn't practically play itself. Yes, the game is challenging, yes you will have to think for yourself, yes you can't just stand in one place and spam an iwin button until everything is dead. Yes, the game will feel clunky at first to anybody who's used to WoW, but if you actually spend some time and play the game you'll quickly find that what initially feels like "clunky" is actually just "different" and after spending some hours figuring it out you'll have no problems adapting.

The skill / ability system is complex. Yes, it would have been easy for the entire system to end up unusable and utterly broken because of how complex it is, but Funcom pulled it off and made something awe inspiring. It's hard to make a build that's just inherently broken as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. The level of customizability is amazing and vast.

Visually, this game is also pretty impressive for an MMO. There's no WoW or GW2 stylized anime-ish graphics here. This game isn't set in never-never land, this is the real world and things look like it. The only drawback is that, as people have so fervently pointed out, the combat animations are a bit wonky but if that's actually a major complaint then I think you just need to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint. It's less stressful.

The story line and plot of this TSW is so engrossing and well written that I can't even adequately put it into words. I find myself watching EVERY cutscene, talking to every NPC and listening to all the dialog they have to offer. The mission completion texts for the Illuminati are just as rewarding than the XP and item rewards. And the Lore. Don't get me started on the Lore, I'll be here all day. FANTASTIC!

In all, this game isn't for everyone, but for the rest of us who aren't concerned with flashy combat animations and anime inspired graphics and for those of us who would like to use that 3 pound lump jelly inside of our skulls, this is the MMO we've been waiting for.
  44. Jan 18, 2013
    Very inovative as MMORPG in many aspect. Questing is a real pleasure and the story is very deep, an uncommon feature for MMORPGs. Now that is B2P i think it deserves the the attention of many.
  45. Aug 2, 2012
    This game is nearly perfect. There are a few bugs, most MMOs have a fair amount especially right after launch. Absolutely wonderful story, atmosphere, and gameplay. Combat is great imo.

PvP could use some work, but all in all I am VERY pleased with this game and I would and have been recommending it to all my friends.
  46. Aug 3, 2012
    I just hate the fantasy settings: elfs, orcs, swords, spells.... that kind of crazy stuff so the 99% of MMORPGS on the market bored me to death.
    Then, like a flash of light in an endless night, "The Secret World" hit the market and I happily bought it and played it since launch: immersive and clever quests, 3 faction pvp and good graphics are the highlight of this gem of a MMORPG. Very innovative and modern/mature themed MMO: it's like the Holy Grail for an old gamer like me. It's really money well spent. GO TSW !!!
  47. Aug 7, 2012
    This game is not for the Hardcore-ADD-Crowd always-skipping-cutscenes and running through the game. If you used too or still play point and click adventure games and enjoy a little D&D then this is the perfect game for you.

I am appalled by the reviewers giving this game anything less than 8/10, i can understand that the game is not for everyone but in its genre it is at-least a 9/10 if not a 10/10.

I have played for about 170-180 hours and i still have not done everything in the game.

To the conspiracy theorist, yes this is my only review, i almost never do reviews, I am not a native English speaker and i have minor dyslexia so writing a review takes time for me.
    The only reason I created this review is too support a game that i Love, and I hope others would Enjoy as much as i do.
  48. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is the best mmorpg ever made,no elves or other, be what you want and dont worry about lvl`s
    the quests are great,always good option in quests solve a mystery or shoot your way thru,not the ordenary boring wall of text when you get a newmission...it is really amazing
  49. Jul 12, 2012
    Don't let the bad critics of people who only played a few hours to keep you away of this game. There must be people giving multiple bad reviews. Actually the player base is very happy with the game and the devs response to some questions (chat and some minors bugs in the first launch) is awesome. The game had the smooth launch I remember in a game (I play since UO in Europa).

The Secret

The Secret world is a very innovative and refreshing game if you give it an opportunity to surprise you, and if you try and learn a new way of play (That means innovative). Just don't try to evaluate the game with the pow of others mmorpgs.

After you create your character and choose faction (Templars, Dragons or Illuminati), you start your travel in the dark world. The main factor in the game is that the quests are not a way of grinding of a simple excuse for level. Every quest (basic ones or more complex ones) are exquisite designed, with an incredible level of detail. Some of the quests will surprise you, others will defy you (enhance your game avoiding spoilers, is just a friendly advise).
    The first zones are carefully designed to guide the new player in the learning of the main mechanics of the game: the process of questing, the crafting, the combat, and the main history.
    Every zone is alive and very different, Kingsmouth is a lovecraftian sea-town of Maine, full of... you will see... Al-Merayah is a little village in Egypt by the ancients Akhenathen's ruins...
    Give the game an opportunity and enter the world of TSW... and don't let the first difficulties win you... is a game for mature players and very different from the others MMOrpgs. Different.
  50. Jul 13, 2012
    It's a game that has learned a lot of lessons from other MMOs, and puts it in a unique setting. Quests are interesting, all voice-acted, and make sense. The graphics and environment are beautiful. The combat and leveling system has a learning curve. In-game tutorials and pre-made skill builds help a lot if you find yourself getting lost in it all, because there is a lot there - imagineIt's a game that has learned a lot of lessons from other MMOs, and puts it in a unique setting. Quests are interesting, all voice-acted, and make sense. The graphics and environment are beautiful. The combat and leveling system has a learning curve. In-game tutorials and pre-made skill builds help a lot if you find yourself getting lost in it all, because there is a lot there - imagine playing WoW and getting every talent tree and spell for every class available to you, and you can mix/match, and eventually you can have ALL of them. The combat is as fun as any other MMO, with a little more added positioning, but more challenging to manage your buffs/debuffs which make up a huge aspect of the combat. Expand
  51. Aug 2, 2012
    The best mmo I have played in years, or possibly ever. It seems you will either love or hate the game when I see on the scores given. I was very pleasantly surprised by the game after not being convinced by the beta weekends. It seems like a lot of the people that didn't like the game based their review on the beta weekends and not the actual released game so those reviews can beThe best mmo I have played in years, or possibly ever. It seems you will either love or hate the game when I see on the scores given. I was very pleasantly surprised by the game after not being convinced by the beta weekends. It seems like a lot of the people that didn't like the game based their review on the beta weekends and not the actual released game so those reviews can be misleading. The game is easily worth the price, even if you just play it for a month, and with regular content updates and tweaks it can be worth staying subscribed even longer. One of the best things about the game is the huge potential for future content, and the game will probably only get better when new features and content is added. Expand
  52. Aug 1, 2012
    I'll be short and to the point.
    Game is an Experience. Like that, from a capital letter.
    It is a trip that will take you to places that will Blow. Your. Mind. It being an MMORPG makes it that much better, but the core of the game is in the fact that it promises to show you the things that will make you stare at your screen with your jaw dropped to the table. And it delivers 100%.
    I'll be short and to the point.
    Game is an Experience. Like that, from a capital letter.
    It is a trip that will take you to places that will Blow. Your. Mind.

Ignore the pre-paid magazine/website reviews. Get it, play it, let it surprise you in a way that probably no other game did.
  53. Aug 2, 2012
    Still rough around the edges after several patches. Core gameplay "mostly" works, as several bugged quests reportedly are fixed. Graphics bugs still are present, with problems such as the skill UI reverting to basic descriptions and random artifacts on-screen. The new auction system is buggy. Questing in some cases is still not multi-user friendly, which seems like it would be anStill rough around the edges after several patches. Core gameplay "mostly" works, as several bugged quests reportedly are fixed. Graphics bugs still are present, with problems such as the skill UI reverting to basic descriptions and random artifacts on-screen. The new auction system is buggy. Questing in some cases is still not multi-user friendly, which seems like it would be an obvious design consideration.

The 500ish skills is somewhat misleading, as many are duplicates or just plain worthless. Blaze seems to be the most popular DPS build, which may be heading for nerfing. PvP is mostly a bad joke. Combat is highly repetitive, build resources and use finishers, with no auto-attack.

Puzzles can be extremely difficult, but there are many walkthroughs now available for stuck players. Overall, if you can deal with the bugs, bad design decisions, and other nuisances, the game has some entertainment value at least temporarily.
  54. Jul 20, 2012
    I think what I like most about what I am seeing regarding the reviews is how the critics seem luke warm but fans appear to be pretty excited. So why is it that the critics and fans seem to be on opposite sides of the fence lately? Most blockbusters get great reviews by the critics, but fans have clearly been disappointed. While lesser known titles that actually seem to try and innovate,I think what I like most about what I am seeing regarding the reviews is how the critics seem luke warm but fans appear to be pretty excited. So why is it that the critics and fans seem to be on opposite sides of the fence lately? Most blockbusters get great reviews by the critics, but fans have clearly been disappointed. While lesser known titles that actually seem to try and innovate, with the inherent risk that comes with trying something new, fans love and critics poo poo. This game really is a breath of fresh air and is only in its infancy. I wish this company all the best with this title and hope it will have some longevity in a gaming industry littered with repeats and the same old ideas. Expand
  55. Jul 17, 2012
    I've been waiting for "The Secret World" for long, even though I didn't knew, what to expect. Literally, Funcom does the same thing, they did with "Age of Conan", which was a lovely MMORPG with different ways to experience new systems. The Setting wasn't seen till now and the cutscenes are the best i've seen in an online-rpg for years. Unfortunatly some bugs stop the flow too early and theI've been waiting for "The Secret World" for long, even though I didn't knew, what to expect. Literally, Funcom does the same thing, they did with "Age of Conan", which was a lovely MMORPG with different ways to experience new systems. The Setting wasn't seen till now and the cutscenes are the best i've seen in an online-rpg for years. Unfortunatly some bugs stop the flow too early and the missing of tutorials and hints makes it hard to beat the game without dying too much. Expand
  56. Jul 27, 2012
    This is a lifetime happening. The secret World made me start playing pc game again. 5 years since I ve played. This is a "blockbuster" for sure. Ive bought extra gear and 3 mth subscription. Im gonna play for years is my instant opinion. Im in the thirties with kids and really doesnt have time for such a great game;-). Salute Funcom!
  57. Aug 10, 2012
    I have played many MMORPGs before I tried The Secret World, but none has been able to pull me away from my primary game. However, with TSW this changed. My primary game is now TSW, and that is the only game I play.

The main reason for that is that the game is really good at keeping you on your toes. By that I mean that you have to pay attention to the fighting, there is no q /afk, auto attack. You have to constantly pay attention to and avoid monsters attacks by strafing and dodging. The flexibility of building your character, and in combination with the gear manager, you can swap between tank, healer, dps with a click of a button. This makes it really easy to form teams that work well. The play fields in the world look amazing, though there might be games out there with slightly better looking graphics, the mood in the settings is absolutely unparalleled. Some of the missions might make you have nightmares, that's how good they are.

All the people I meet in the game seems genuinely happy with the game thus creating a very good community.

If you are tired of rage quitting your current game, why not give TSW a chance to illuminate you with it's breath of fresh air, and this unique way to look at MMORPG.

Content updates are promised every month, and FunCom delivered as promised the first update 1 month after launch.
  58. Aug 12, 2012
    It's a fun game. Perhaps not suited for people that are used to grinding through an MMO but if you treat it like a game its really good. The plot and setting are refreshing and the skill tree is ok (a bit confusing )

Try to avoid using walkthroughs or google. It will really suck the fun out of the very fun puzzles. Me and my wife really enjoy solving them together.
  59. Jul 31, 2012
    Best MMO ever! Will blast every other game away for years - Finally something for brains! Players and critics that rate this lower than Diablo III and WOW are hereby selfnamed NO-BRAINERS!
  60. Aug 9, 2012
    The Secret World is finally, FINALLY something a little bit refreshing. There are LOTS of MMOs that are so similiar to each other, that despite being entirely "new" they bore me out of my mind during the first hour of gameplay... And in theory those are games for MONTHS! The Secret World has an uniqe character developement (it's selling point) which is simply quite simple and is both itemThe Secret World is finally, FINALLY something a little bit refreshing. There are LOTS of MMOs that are so similiar to each other, that despite being entirely "new" they bore me out of my mind during the first hour of gameplay... And in theory those are games for MONTHS! The Secret World has an uniqe character developement (it's selling point) which is simply quite simple and is both item and skill oriented. You need to carefully decide what to equip and you can shift between healer, dps or tank. You can switch quickly any moment or choose an average in all of those. Story is VERY entertaining and there are many quests and they never REQUIRE you to grind anything - unless you like to yourself. Expand
  61. Fuz
    Dec 12, 2014
    Fantastic game. Not your typical MMO, it's a different approach on the classic formula.
    It's a very original, smart and imaginative game. The writing is fantastic and has some of the best character I've ever seen in a videogame, the story is great and the gameplay is pretty good, with a huge number of skill combinations possible... and this is a strong and weak point at the same time: the learning curve is pretty steep and could be scaring sometimes. Also, some zones are less interesting than others (but this mostly depends on personal taste).
    Questing is the best ever seen in a videogame, period. The investigative type of missions, especially, are always extremely intelligent and original, and often require a great deal of thinking outside the box, they can be very hard to solve, too.
    The game does have some flaws, but still, it's the most interesting MMO out there, hands down. And it's not a carbon copy of WoW.
  62. Oct 3, 2012
    This is a weird game...but it is enjoyable. It really doesn't hold your hand or explain very much. Fortunately, if you have a question there is a huge community that probably already has the answer that can be quickly accessed in the ingame web browser. The graphics are above par for an MMO. A ton of care has been taken into the story telling for each individual quest. The game isThis is a weird game...but it is enjoyable. It really doesn't hold your hand or explain very much. Fortunately, if you have a question there is a huge community that probably already has the answer that can be quickly accessed in the ingame web browser. The graphics are above par for an MMO. A ton of care has been taken into the story telling for each individual quest. The game is awash in missions to complete, and you can even go back and DO THEM AGAIN after they cooldown. The frequency of updates for little tweaks is nice as well, and let's you know the developer is listening to the community. And the atmosphere...absolutely awesome. That being said, I've been playing this game for about a week...and the leveling/skilling, vendor situation is still incomprehensible to me. While the missions are fun, it's just not very clear what the strategy is for acquiring skills. It's not even clear what the skills really do until you purchase them and try them out. Even the XP system is fairly vague. After a lot of grinding to get to upper level AR skills, which had it's own issues telling me I needed the incorrect things to unlock, resulted in me spilling 9 AP (that's alot at an early level) in my first AWESOME upper level skill...to obtain something that is actually worse than a similar skill I gained right off the bat. I'm guessing it has some sort of stacking ability that can be really awesome if someone else has some other skill and buffs me...but how do I know what that skill is? How do I find someone that intentionally went for this buff or even knows that this buff will make an AR guy like me a beast and be looking for me? This is where the game really falls down. The difficulty rises pretty quickly and your skill choices become more and more costly...even though half of them seem like traps that are garbage skills. If not, the game never explained the usage. The interface is at times really cool, and others really clunky. This game is so good and so bad at the same time. I would still give it a 7. Even when I get frustrated with it, I come back to it a little later. They need to clear up the vendor system. Work a little bit harder at explaining the mechanics. Expand
  63. Aug 4, 2012
    I am enjoying this game more than expected! For the first time I do think about a game after the computer is shut down. Last time this happened was when I played Ultima Online and Asheron's Call
  64. Nov 8, 2012
    I've actually waited a few to come and post my 2 cents worth of a review. Mostly, because I've been wondering if at some point I would get bored with it.

Four months later... I'm still playing the game and enjoying every minute of the game play. Even if I'm just doing missions or if I'm grouping up with my cabal mates to tackle a dungeon. The main story was very compelling and even now I still talk about the little theories I have about the stories development with my friends.

Sure things are clunky, but what game that comes out is not without issues. WoW had them, as did EQ, Star Wars Galaxies and a slew of other games. Definitely give this game a chance and watch the content unfold, it really is worth the time.
  65. Nov 10, 2012
    The game is a blast and for an MMO the game play, setting, and story is refreshing. Unlike many MMOs as you continue through the storyline you do feel that your character is taking a side in the world conflict.

I would say this game is designed with the target audience being experienced MMO players who are tired of hight fantasy MMOs and are looking for something different. While the game does not strictly put you into one of the basic classes (Tank, healer, DPS) because of the open ended ability wheel and being able to hot-swap what your character does, don't think this means it's a "classless" game. The community as well as how the game mechanics work will eventually lead you to building a set of abilities that basically makes you a tank, healer, or dps. However what is nice is the variety of combinations that you can use to achieve your goal makes leveling and unlocking new abilities and trying them out to see if one is better than another a real treat.

Endgame still has the same problems as any other MMO in that once you hit it and once you've gotten all the gear you want, there's basically nothing left to do but PVP and finish up the numerous little achievement goals they set out. I hit the cap about two months ago (been playing since release) and am finally to the point where I'm not playing the game every day.

The monthly updates makes sure that there's always a reason to keep your subscription going (or at least reactivate it ever two or three months).
  66. Nov 20, 2012
    This game is great. The modern day setting, the story-line, the voice acting, the puzzles; are fresh. I like the fact that you only need one character to fill any party role. In other MMO's I would roll an alt for every class. Now I can pursue endgame content full time. If groups are needing a healer, I'm that. If they need DPS, I'm that. Still learning tanking, but if they break theThis game is great. The modern day setting, the story-line, the voice acting, the puzzles; are fresh. I like the fact that you only need one character to fill any party role. In other MMO's I would roll an alt for every class. Now I can pursue endgame content full time. If groups are needing a healer, I'm that. If they need DPS, I'm that. Still learning tanking, but if they break the glass, I can even be that.

All monsters are real. All conspiracies are real. I love this game so much, and see so much room for future content I bought my first MMO lifetime subscription.
  67. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm totally enjoying this game and it's been well worth the money i've spent. If you like your MMOs with a narrative then this is the game for you. And now that it's free to play, there's no reason to not give it a try. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2013
    The style of character development takes some getting used to and some of the solo missions are a complete pain in the butt; however, it it turns out to be a very enjoyable game with great atmosphere and store lines.

I wish there was a better mechanism for finding groups, it feels very lonely for being a MMORPG. But if you manage to come with a friend or two of your own it is a lot of fun except those solo missions.
  69. Sep 20, 2012
    The game advertises that players can choose to build their character any way they choose. That's all well and great, but the game still follows the standard tank/dps/healer model of gameplay. So obviously some character builds will be superior than others to fill these roles. And of course there will be elitist players ingame who insist that if you're not following the standard cookieThe game advertises that players can choose to build their character any way they choose. That's all well and great, but the game still follows the standard tank/dps/healer model of gameplay. So obviously some character builds will be superior than others to fill these roles. And of course there will be elitist players ingame who insist that if you're not following the standard cookie cutter build, you're not really serious about group content. Still, I find the game to be enjoyable. The atmosphere is absolutely wonderful. I love the horror theme of the game, something that's new in the MMO genre. I'm having fun and I continue to log in to play which says a lot more for this game than most other MMOs on the market. I think you'll enjoy it too. Expand
  70. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic game so far. It's one of those games that are seeming to become more rare these day. You know, the kinds of games that actually require you to think? Not only are the investigation quests a welcome addition to the classic fetch/collect/kill quests but they actually require you to use a little brain power and work out the solution yourself. Unless, of course, you fire up GoogleFantastic game so far. It's one of those games that are seeming to become more rare these day. You know, the kinds of games that actually require you to think? Not only are the investigation quests a welcome addition to the classic fetch/collect/kill quests but they actually require you to use a little brain power and work out the solution yourself. Unless, of course, you fire up Google and just find the solution that way. I say to hell with what all the "official" review sites say, this game is a must buy. Who the hell is Quarter to Three anyway? Expand
  71. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is a whole bucket of awesome sause. The action ranges from survival horror to Indiana Jones exploration. There are also alot of hidden things (easter eggs) that are not easily found. Granted this game isn't like most and does take some time breaking out of old habits. I have found a few issues but their GM/customer support was able to help me get back on track in no time.This game is a whole bucket of awesome sause. The action ranges from survival horror to Indiana Jones exploration. There are also alot of hidden things (easter eggs) that are not easily found. Granted this game isn't like most and does take some time breaking out of old habits. I have found a few issues but their GM/customer support was able to help me get back on track in no time. Also their announcement of monthly content updates has made me one happy customer. Expand
  72. Aug 14, 2012
    I have never played a so polished and clean game ever before. It is one of the best MMO and we can clearly see it is Ragnar Tørnquest who are the director behide this wonderfull game. I love the grapich, the fantasy, the storysetting..

It is a wonderfull game!
  73. Aug 15, 2012
    Immersion into this well-developed, rich environment is a snap. The single player experience of TSW is the best I've ever encountered from an MMO. Even the voice acting is superb! This game is perfect for gamers looking for something more than your typical "Kill X of Y monster and collect Z of their body parts." In The Secret World, many quests are puzzles which require a level ofImmersion into this well-developed, rich environment is a snap. The single player experience of TSW is the best I've ever encountered from an MMO. Even the voice acting is superb! This game is perfect for gamers looking for something more than your typical "Kill X of Y monster and collect Z of their body parts." In The Secret World, many quests are puzzles which require a level of thought beyond any MMO I've encountered - and I've played many. Something that has also helped me fall in love with this game is the community. Sure, there are your fair share of vulgar individuals; however, they seem to (fortunately) be the minority.

I've been playing this game non-stop for the past few days, and my excitement only continues to grow. It's worth mentioning that beyond seeing this game at PAX Easter I had neither followed its progress nor been exposed to any hype. Frankly, I forgot about this game entirely. After spending some time playing, though, my tune has changed entirely. There is (as of 8/15/12) a free 3-day trial being offered on Funcom's website and I *STRONGLY* encourage everyone to give it a shot. What have you got to lose? This game is a gem, and considering the nature of MMORPGs, will only shine brighter with the polish of content patches and fixes for (the VERY few) bugs present in the game.
  74. Aug 16, 2012
    This is neither a game for people who like to have everything presented to them nor one for people who think racing to the end game is the point of an mmo. It is a game for people who like to solve puzzles and who slowly go through the game savouring the content. Like other people have mentioned the world design is superb, combat is fun and if it isn't anymore I just change my skill set toThis is neither a game for people who like to have everything presented to them nor one for people who think racing to the end game is the point of an mmo. It is a game for people who like to solve puzzles and who slowly go through the game savouring the content. Like other people have mentioned the world design is superb, combat is fun and if it isn't anymore I just change my skill set to something that suits my mood of the moment better and continue. The story keeps me wanting to go ahead with it and my own experience with customer support has been perfect. TSW general chat is the first one sofar where I haven't felt the need to search for the unsubscribe button first thing after entering the world. ----- It is not perfect and there are a few shortcomings and some things I wish Funcom could have solved differently which is why I didn't give it 10/10 but for me at least, it is the closest a mmo has ever come to satisfy my way of gaming. Expand
  75. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a great game. Loving the intricate stories and varied missions. The game is beautiful with and fun to play. There is so much to do from missions, dungeons, lairs, exploring, achievements and you get to use all the weapons and change from Tank to healer to DPS to suit the foe.
  76. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. If you have an appreciation for a well-crafted story, excellent graphics and a challenge unheard of in modern mmo's you should definitely give it a try. This is not a hand-holding experience. You are meant to apply your brain. It is REQUIRED that you adapt to your environment rather than faceroll your way through content. The skill system is deep, expansive andThis is a beautiful game. If you have an appreciation for a well-crafted story, excellent graphics and a challenge unheard of in modern mmo's you should definitely give it a try. This is not a hand-holding experience. You are meant to apply your brain. It is REQUIRED that you adapt to your environment rather than faceroll your way through content. The skill system is deep, expansive and complex, which creates it's own kind of metagame and you are never locked into a particular playstyle. Feel like healing? Swap to a healing build, Tanking? Throw on a few hp/defense/block items and change it up. As with any new MMO if you play hard you will run out of new stuff so I suggest taking it slow and savoring the experience.

The Dev team is passionate and communicate better than any team in any game I've ever played and aren't afraid to tell the whiners that it's MEANT to be hard.

You owe it to yourself to check this game out.
  77. Aug 19, 2012
    The Secret World is not a game for everyone. Its a thinking person's game. Personally I find the setting, the art work, the cut scenes and voice overs to be FANTASTIC. This is a game that will challenge you and will challenge most gamer's perspective - because it is not a simple game. It is not like the thousands of Ever Quest/Ultima Online spawn that has been on the market for over aThe Secret World is not a game for everyone. Its a thinking person's game. Personally I find the setting, the art work, the cut scenes and voice overs to be FANTASTIC. This is a game that will challenge you and will challenge most gamer's perspective - because it is not a simple game. It is not like the thousands of Ever Quest/Ultima Online spawn that has been on the market for over a decade. Its unique with some HUGE changes to the genre.

If you like adventure games, brain teasers, really tough boss fights, a literate community - then TSW may be your game. If you like to sign on, have your hand held and given loot easily, you will find TSW an unappealing game.

If you like The Longest Journey or Dreamfall, Ragnar Tornquist's games or Deus Ex or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then you would like this game. If you like games by Blizzard or Arena Net (NC Soft) then this game may not be appealing.

To me, this is the best MMORPG on the market and I am very happy with my Lifetime Subscription.
  78. Aug 20, 2012
    Excellent game - the investigation missions are particularly fun, but it contains all the good Funcom trademarks - well supported guilds ('cabals'), immersive storyline, etc. The only thing preventing a 10/10 are the character graphics which - especially on lipsync mode - are not as smooth as they could be.
  79. Aug 24, 2012
    I tried the secret world. I loved the secret world. And I will NOT pay for it any longer. It has some pretty neat ideas (world, character development,some quests, etc.) but I do not like the fact that it is simply broken. If I always have to think, if I am too dumb to solve that quest or if it is broken, it spoils all the fun for me. I found myself always using the in-game browser to solveI tried the secret world. I loved the secret world. And I will NOT pay for it any longer. It has some pretty neat ideas (world, character development,some quests, etc.) but I do not like the fact that it is simply broken. If I always have to think, if I am too dumb to solve that quest or if it is broken, it spoils all the fun for me. I found myself always using the in-game browser to solve the most mediocre quests to find out where I have to go and/or if I am there, what I have to do to fix it. Best example: The Black House. Nice quest. Nice story behind it. No combat. Great. And then it is buggy midway. Yeeehaw.
    Then the leveling system. I like it. I could do whatever I want. In theory. Practically I have to predetermine a deck and use it all the way to the higher levels or I would totally suck at the second map. It is a system that should encourage curiosity. But it punishes me for it. Why?
    I would have preferred a system in which I would be able to not suck so much even at lower levels. When I got my first elite skill, I thought, yeah, now I can fight those pretty heavy monsters on even terms. Well, no. I used pistols. My elite was overpowered first, but then it lost all useability. That is not the way of an elite skill, is it? It should always be useful, but not overpowered. What is the sense of a skill wheel, if I have to use some skills which are clearly stronger than others? Why can't I just spend my skill points just as I want, without suckin early on (I put some thought in it, I did not just use random stuff. It works well at the beginning, but afterwards, I just suck, because I cannot unlock the skills I want, but the next one. And that bloody takes a freaking long time)
    I did not play it to the high end content, because the game would not let me play as I wanted it to.
    The ideas are great. I would like the skill wheel if it was properly balanced. A lot of skills are useless, but I like the idea of a lot of skills. It would be great if I was able to unlock all of them in an earlier stage. I hate the shackles this game is giving me.
    I liked the combat though. Yeah, you gotta press a button and aiming for yourself would be sooo much cooler, but hey! If I can do what I want (which I CANNOT) why not. The game crushed repeatedly on my computer, making it nearly unplayable. All in all:
    It is a beta. I would play it if it were free to play. In its current state I won't.
    If they fix all the bugs in the quests and give me my freedom I expected from this game, I will definitely come back to the secret world. Try it when it's free.
  80. Aug 25, 2012
    Wonderfully refreshing MMO in a market saturated by WoW clones. Funcom dared to be different with The Secret World. Excellent modern-horror story. Well-written voice acted missions, to the extent that it is easy to become invested in the outcome. Open-ended ability progression with near limitless deck combinations. Give the trial a go, you may be pleasantly surprised!
  81. Oct 28, 2012
    The best MMO i ever played. Cool modern world setting. Unreachable MMO graphics. Funny actionbased gameplay. And a much harder end content in instances than all other MMOs have. There is no better MMO on the market. And the game will be better every month with this content updates.
  82. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing game do not be fooled by the low critic review this game has a great modern day world to explore, tons of interesting quests, this game is worth the 30 dollars hands down.
  83. Oct 16, 2013
    The game hasn’t released without some bugs.

I have seen some reviewers bash on the fact only three or four main areas have been described. However, this leaves plenty of room for expansion. Maine (traditional home of Cthuhlu mythos), Egypt, and Transylvania are detailed in multiple zones each. This leaves so many other places available. Another person has reviewed the game and said
    The game hasn’t released without some bugs.

Another person has reviewed the game and said the 3-3-3 tiered system of melee, ranged, and magic looks limited. This, though, is another area of expansion potential. Martial arts and weapons, ranged weapons like submachine guns, and other arenas of magic can all be added down the line, expanding the game.
  84. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the game starts out good and the sense of adventure is intense you want to see whats all there the first area is fully voiced accept yourself of course the story line is fantastic but you are unfortunately limited to were you can go on your own and allot of the plots and story is in the dungeons and high difficulty zones witch are impossible to do on your own just starting out the game hasn't, been updating the main story line for the average character you have to buy missions in order to get different weapons and they have been catering to the player vs player more then the main story line itself and the story line is what makes the game so excellent but i digress the game is good in the begging and the side missions are fun but if your the type that has to see every thing in the story and how it ends i say look somewhere else cause this game will only get your hopes up and the drive them straight down. Expand
  85. Jan 15, 2014
    I absolutely love this game, it's wonderfully unusual when compared to other MMO's. Admittedly its style may not be for everyone as there's a significant emphasis placed on research and puzzle-solving rather than straight up kill-everything-that-gets-in-the-way. I love the atmosphere, Funcom pulls off the 'dark fantasy' theme and world exceptionally well. The abilities and powers availableI absolutely love this game, it's wonderfully unusual when compared to other MMO's. Admittedly its style may not be for everyone as there's a significant emphasis placed on research and puzzle-solving rather than straight up kill-everything-that-gets-in-the-way. I love the atmosphere, Funcom pulls off the 'dark fantasy' theme and world exceptionally well. The abilities and powers available to the characters are diverse and interesting, and the potential combinations between them are fun to explore. The voice acting is also exceptional, and in my honest opinion the quality of writing is worlds better than any other MMO I've played.

My only gripe with the game is that there are a number of small bugs that seem to have avoided the dev-hammer and while they're nothing truly gamebreaking, at least not for me, they are noticeable. For example, when using the sitting down function, it doesn't visually display for other players that were not present when the emote was used and so to them you're still standing. As I said before however the bug issue is relatively minor and has very little impact on the brilliance of the game. It's a definite must-buy for dark fantasy fans and those who are looking for an MMO experience beyond the straightforward World of Warcraft-esque grab n' grind.
  86. Jan 6, 2014
    The reason I gave this game a 9/10 was because of its unique aspect. On the surface The Secret World looks different straightaway. However, after experiencing the lore, the quests, conspiracies and the world itself, it is clear that Funcom has spent a huge amount of time and effort in creating this MMO.

Brief bullet reasons why you should play; and why it gets a 9/10. 1. Unique

Brief bullet reasons why you should play; and why it gets a 9/10.

1. Unique modern setting. Featuring: New York, London and Venice,
    2. Highly thought out missions, quests and conspiracies that are inspired by the works of: H.P Lovecraft, Stephen King and our world today.
    3. Pay once; play forever. Expansion packs, or known in The Secret World as Issues, are purchasable)
    4. Classless system. Play and be the character YOU WANT TO BE.
    5. Interesting story.
    6. Also, I believe if you bought the game before January 2013 you get the first 4 'Issues' expansion packs) FREE.
    7. Regular updates.
  87. Sep 29, 2013
    The Secret World is a Fantastic MMORPG. The story and plot are just enough for a MMORPG. Gameplay is fun, without levels or classes you are free to try any skill composition you want. The theme of the game is fun and while it lacks any true horror, at best it is slightly disturbing, the idea is really unique and well executed. This game however is somewhat frustrating for beginners as theThe Secret World is a Fantastic MMORPG. The story and plot are just enough for a MMORPG. Gameplay is fun, without levels or classes you are free to try any skill composition you want. The theme of the game is fun and while it lacks any true horror, at best it is slightly disturbing, the idea is really unique and well executed. This game however is somewhat frustrating for beginners as the skill building system, the crafting, and some of the quests will have you looking at a guide just to figure out what to do. That being said TSW also has something that I personally believe a lot of MMO's lack, difficulty, it's a hard game sometimes especially the Investigation missions where you have to be able to riddle out problems and use internet resources to find where you're going next. This brings me to my next topic, the missions have variety and are interesting for the most part. Dungeons are particularly good in TSW especially Polaris, the first dungeon, they focus mostly on boss fights with very few trash mobs in between. It is definitely worth a try for MMORPG fans especially considering it's only $30 up front. Expand
  88. Aug 19, 2012
    This is the best MMO right now..Wonderfully handcrafted masterpiece..Such a joy to play ..
    Combined with great atmosphere, great action filled combat and one of the most thrilling dungeon bosses created for an MMO..

The quests in this game is also very innovative, sure you have "classic" ones but even with those there is innovation. But the quests actually forces you to think, some are hard, some are VERY hard, but they still doesn't become frustrating,,
  89. Aug 25, 2012
    Good Graphics, Quests are the best that I have played in a MMO, Voice acting is spot on, the mood the game sets is truly amazing..it sucks you right in and keeps your interest. The skill wheel allows for freedom to overcome most things ingame which I have never seen anywhere...no alts required. The overall story is just engrossing, you just want more and more. The community is very helpfulGood Graphics, Quests are the best that I have played in a MMO, Voice acting is spot on, the mood the game sets is truly amazing..it sucks you right in and keeps your interest. The skill wheel allows for freedom to overcome most things ingame which I have never seen anywhere...no alts required. The overall story is just engrossing, you just want more and more. The community is very helpful and mature, none of that barrens chat. Definately one of the better MMOs I have played in a long time. The critic review based on a beta version seems to be way off. Expand
  90. Aug 25, 2012
    Positives: 1) The world and atmosphere is beautiful. TSW takes place in a modern setting, running with the idea that all myths are routed in truth. There are 3 main areas (Solomon Island, Egypt and Transylvania) each with 2-3 sub regions. Each zone just looks amazing and I think really captures different horror genres. 2) The system is classless and level-less. As you gain XP you unlock APPositives: 1) The world and atmosphere is beautiful. TSW takes place in a modern setting, running with the idea that all myths are routed in truth. There are 3 main areas (Solomon Island, Egypt and Transylvania) each with 2-3 sub regions. Each zone just looks amazing and I think really captures different horror genres. 2) The system is classless and level-less. As you gain XP you unlock AP to buy more abilities and SP to improve your weapons/armour. This lets you change your character on the fly provided you have enough abilities unlocked. In a dungeon and need more healing? Throw on some healing abilities. Need to do more damage damage? Change to do magic damage. Now while the system is effectively level less, areas are balanced you having a certain gear level, so there still restrictions in place on what you should be doing. 3) The game really forces you to think. There are 3 types of quests you can get
    a) Action quests, these are your standard do this or kill that
    b) Sabotage quests, go here try to avoid mobs
    c) investigation quests, like playing an old school adventure game mixed with an ARG.
    So investigation quests give you puzzles ranging from solving this encoded transmission, to solving riddles to translating Hebrew to looking up the wife of a worker off a fictional company website. To help you solve these Funcom has armed users with a browser in game. Now a few of the sabotage/investigation missions I find can be solved in a few ways, though I found a few that seemed like they required just brute force guess work.
    4) The story and NPC's are pretty interesting. Funcom wanted everything to tie together and did a good job. For instance at the start of Solomon Island you quickly learn there is a zombie problem. After doing a few missions and talking to a few NPCS (which actually say useful and relevant stuff mixed in with the fluff) you start to figure out why there are zombies and what they are being used for, There not just there to be annoying to players, Funcom actually wrote in why and how they are there.

Now the negatives
    1) Cost. TSW is the most expensive MMO on the market. It has a full game box price, a monthly subscription (even more if your not from N America) and a cash shop (where stuff is bought PER CHARACTER not account).
    2) TSW's combat can best be described as boring and out dated. While choosing and building your decks is fun, combat itself is not. Combat in TSW uses a tabbed based targeting system with some attacks building resources and others consuming them. Most combat can be broken down to: use your builder 5 times, use a finisher for weapon one and a finisher for weapon 2., rinse and repeat. If you see a white circle, move; if you see fire on the ground, move. Personally I find the tabbed system makes all weapons feel the same, it doesn't help that a lot of animations are repeated so not only do they feel the same, they look the same.
    3) While Sabotage missions are a very cool idea, lack of real stealth abilities make some of these the most frustrating things you will ever attempt. Since there are no stealth abilities and the AI in TSW is standard MMO level of stupid (or Doom 1 like AI) Sabotage missions tend to break down to avoid all guards since they will 1 shot you, and sometimes hit the glowing yellow object to distract said guards. Personally I found the sabotage missions at the start had some interesting mechanics like stealing uniforms and causing more distractions, a lot of them just involve memorizing guards and preying you get lucky, You have to start to wonder after nameless grunt #1033 catches you and throws you in an easily escapable box why they aren't out saving the world and instead leaving it in the hands of the PCs. 4) The game has a lot of bugs. Chat breaks pretty consistently which at times leaves you with no way to communicate with users. Some missions break down from too many people trying to do them or certain mobs don't spawn making them impossible to finish. As well as the bugs there some pretty bad design decisions. For example if your watching a cutscene and a mob happens to aggro you somehow you can die in the middle of said cutscene. For non main story/investigation missions this could mean having to wait 1-3 days to resee the cutscene, for story or investigation missions this means you now need to search youtube preying that someone recorded the cutscene for you to watch. The cutscenes also give you important missions hints/clues.

Over all I would recommend trying to TSW. The unique setting and investigation missions are a ton of fun and a breathe of fresh air in a rather stagnant (imo) market. Over all though I don't think TSW is a perfect game and has more than its fair share of problems. At times the game really seems to want to be a 3rd person action game, but had to make numerous unfortunate compromises
  91. Jan 8, 2013
    So a few things about this game that set it apart from other MMOs: Investigation Missions, which require the player to put some thought into quests (unless you look up spoilers); you will be required to use clues, and put 2+2 together to solve a mystery or puzzle. Sabotage missions: these quests typically involve stealth and non-combat to solve. There is no "stealth mode" so it meansSo a few things about this game that set it apart from other MMOs: Investigation Missions, which require the player to put some thought into quests (unless you look up spoilers); you will be required to use clues, and put 2+2 together to solve a mystery or puzzle. Sabotage missions: these quests typically involve stealth and non-combat to solve. There is no "stealth mode" so it means actually having to sneak by guards without fighting. No levels or classes: characters have access to every skill, ability and weapon in the game. As you progress, you eventually will have ALL the skills, weapons and abilities; the tricky part is to find the right combination of weapons and abilities that will allow you to beat a particular type of creature. You build multiple decks that can be swapped in and out as the situation requires. Lovecraftian, modern day setting: it's a mix of X-Files, Poe and Indiana Jones -- the atmosphere is just great. Because it's modern day, you have access to devices such as cell phones and a browser within the game. Story and personality: All the missions have great individual stories, and they all tie together into a larger story as you explore. Fantastic cut scenes and great humor -- the NPCs are truly inspired.

Fun, challenging dungeons: the dungeons don't have lots of trash, but they DO have great settings and very interesting mechanics. They are a bit on the difficult side, so figuring out how to tackle the big bad is always challenging and fun.

Separation of gear from clothes: you can look however you like since clothes are completely independent of the gear (talismans). Some very nifty clothing options, and cool uniforms you can unlock as you open decks on the ability wheel.

Great community: one of the friendliest, mature and most helpful I've been around. Lots of opportunity and support for RP, including pubs, a nightclub and an in-game theater stage for plays.

Downsides : PvP is still a work in progress (it has its dedicated followers), animations are a bit lackluster, and not as many facial and body type options as I would like. There's little in-game hand-holding, so the learning curve can be a bit steep, especially with the ability wheel and decks. Still, the community helps here. There are a few niggly bugs still hanging about.

Overall, though, a fantastic game, if something of a sleeper. Heartily recommended.
  92. Jul 16, 2013
    I enjoyed this game a great deal in Alpha and Beta. I got caught up in other games for a long while and I decided what the hell and bought it. I had forgotten how fun overall this game is. the story telling in it is fabulous.
    The mythos is spot on which just makes this game more for my style the quests are not just go collect X you HAVE to use your brain. the in game browser helps with that if you have issues though. I try to stay away form the sights that solve the puzzles for you though.

If you want a challenge buy this game.
    If you love horror BUY THIS GAME!
    Also there is no longer a subscription needed to play so buy once and play forever. DLC is extra and they have a cosmetic cash shop which keeps the game alive.
  93. Jan 12, 2013
    Featuring original content, a rarely seen modern theme and a gaming experience that is both engaging and thought invoking, The Secret World really does bring a lot to the table. This game will push you more than most western MMOs. Messing up a puzzle could mean the difference between life and death and combat even against trash mobs is intense to the point that it really makes it clearFeaturing original content, a rarely seen modern theme and a gaming experience that is both engaging and thought invoking, The Secret World really does bring a lot to the table. This game will push you more than most western MMOs. Messing up a puzzle could mean the difference between life and death and combat even against trash mobs is intense to the point that it really makes it clear that it's a MMO meant to be just that, playing with other players. Not only do I highly recommend this 20 dollar AAA title, I give the game a full 10/10 for its bold decision to not be another clone of a generic grinder. Once again Funcom has created a great MMO experience unlike any other for the time.

Also, I wanted to note that some 'professional' reviews have been ridiculously PMS over the game while they reviewed it in a limited closed beta test phase with nearly no content. No really, read the review from G4 and it's clear that the reviewer decided that limited closed betas are good enough as full releases and the game does not deserve a proper review... Real professional indeed.
  94. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is an absolutely unique game and has a brilliant atmosphere. This world is so brilliant. The characters has a really good style too, IMHO this is the best looking in any of the MMOs. And the quests are so epic and various, it's amazing! The skills are also great, and has great effects, and the UI is cool, it's number one. So overall it's a great game and by the way, you don'tThis game is an absolutely unique game and has a brilliant atmosphere. This world is so brilliant. The characters has a really good style too, IMHO this is the best looking in any of the MMOs. And the quests are so epic and various, it's amazing! The skills are also great, and has great effects, and the UI is cool, it's number one. So overall it's a great game and by the way, you don't need to pay a monthly fee, so it's definitely worth it's price! Expand
  95. Jul 25, 2013
    The Secret World is the most unique and deep mmorpg on the market now.

Pros: 1) The Story: all main quests are professionally voiced and cover all the dark mysteries of the world. There are minor quests to discover around the map. Map is pinnable so you can save visited locations for later use. 2) Graphic: graphic is very good, framerate could be better due to sporadic lag but overall
    The Secret World is the most unique and deep mmorpg on the market now.

Pros:
    2) Graphic: graphic is very good, framerate could be better due to sporadic lag but overall it is very polished and capture the "feel" of every zone.
    Monsters (especially bosses) are the best designed ones in a mmorpg to date.
    3) Combat: combat is very varied, it is possible to change your gamestyle 100 times. Guns, melee, magic is all here. It can be somewhat hard to figure at the beginning but once done it is a fun ride.
    4) Difficulty: the game is hard and i love it. Progression is slow and you have a sense of accomplishment. Thing that most of the latter mmorpgs have omitted.
    5) Modern setting

The cons:
    1) No gathering: you just loot stuff from mobs and experiment with a tool what can be done with the resources. It could be a new feature, but i really miss some old style "gathering"
    2) Social features could be better
    3) Rides: you just run all the time.

All in all the game is still young and continously improving, Lets see what future have in stock. But as of now it is one of the best mmorpg out there.
  96. Aug 6, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game and played it for about 3 months straight (what means 10-14h a day) last summer, until I reached the point where my character achieved everything possible that time. ^^

It's really been the weeks of my (digital) life and so I never regretted buying The Secret World. Unfortunately, regarding player counts and earnings it was a huge fail for Funcom anyway (and I

Unfortunately, regarding player counts and earnings it was a huge fail for Funcom anyway (and I will never be able understand why), Funcom had to cut back on jobs and so this game was never able to make the most of its incredible potential. :-(

Anyway: I would still recommend this game to everybody (especially if you're looking for a game you can play in a group with some friends). Great Story, Scenery and created atmosphere. Still pretty okayish graphics and sound and enough content to play about 900h+ intensively without getting bored.
  97. Aug 22, 2013
    This really is an amazing outing by a great company who has really turned a new page in customer relations. Funcom keeps coming out with quality content at a good pace. No subscription fee this company has really listened and cant wait to see future products!

This game broke out of tradition and offers something new, exciting, mysterious, with great artwork style and direction.
  98. Jul 29, 2012
    Sigh. The quest design is excellent, voice acting is a nice touch (but not always good), and the premise of the game is very unique. It's just not a good MMO. Every "class" feels like the same thing, making combat and progression kinda boring after a bit. The weapon system doesn't actually give as much freedom as you'd expect - it just lets you slightly change things up. There are threeSigh. The quest design is excellent, voice acting is a nice touch (but not always good), and the premise of the game is very unique. It's just not a good MMO. Every "class" feels like the same thing, making combat and progression kinda boring after a bit. The weapon system doesn't actually give as much freedom as you'd expect - it just lets you slightly change things up. There are three types of "classes" and three types of gear - you can mix and match for more of a soloing or PvP build or go straight up a DPS tree for example for instances, with only DPS gear. The only saving grace is the great quest design - other MMO's should take note. Unfortunately, it's not a great single-player game either - I'd rather play a great single-player game. I didn't experience that many bugs so I can't speak there - it ran okay, but definitely needs a decent machine to run well. PvP cues were a tad long for the first month of the game, and the PvP, well, there's not much of a point to it. The sound (not the music which was nice) drove me a bit nuts too..... After many hours of playing I just felt it wasn't worth it - I'd rather spend my gaming time playing something better. Kudos to the quest designers though - really cool stuff there. Expand
  99. Jul 26, 2012
    Finally a game made for people that can't grind mobs or raid 24/7. The quests are awesome and way different then other games. It feels like singleplayer quality all over the zones. Best part is you can repeat em if you want to play with a lower level friend. Instances are made without a million trash mobs so you can just focus on the good boss fights. I admit TSW has its error and mostlyFinally a game made for people that can't grind mobs or raid 24/7. The quests are awesome and way different then other games. It feels like singleplayer quality all over the zones. Best part is you can repeat em if you want to play with a lower level friend. Instances are made without a million trash mobs so you can just focus on the good boss fights. I admit TSW has its error and mostly in the pvp section. Fusang is good fun the first few days then its just about getting the marks and leaving asap. Kinda like how SWTOR had the same problem in Illum. Hopefully they will fix this soon so there is a reason to pvp. This game also had one of the smoothest launches I have seen with their cloud server setup. You can play with everyone even if they are on different servers. Expand
  100. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's go directly to the point Okay: the game is not for everyone. It's a different kind of MMO that some people will love and be willing to spend 250 bucks for lifetime (so did i). On the other side, the game's investigation missions will challenge you up to a point where some people will simply abandon (like solving some morse code). I must also admit that the fighting part of the game is definitely not like anything you've ever seen. It's indeed a rinse and repeat finisher that some people will find boring, but it's all about personal opinion. The fact that there is a cash shop is a con though. Paying each month or 250 bucks is a shame is you need to buy more stuff into the in-game shop. Back to gameplay, the biggest pro is the group instances like Polaris. Hiding from the draug that is currently destroying the rock in your face was pretty scary but interesting. Some bugs are also annoying but the game does not deserves a 0 or a 1. Expand
  101. Nov 20, 2012

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.