The Secret World PC

8.2

1. Aug 20, 2012
    The basic concept of TSW is very good, an 'Adventure' style MMO. However, the actual implementation of the game leaves much to be desired.

* This is another released 'Beta' game. I am thinking it really needed another 6 to 12 months of content development, beta testing, bug fixing, and polishing. * To few zones, and the zones are VERY small, with grinding the same content repeatedly

* To few zones, and the zones are VERY small, with grinding the same content repeatedly (almost all the Main and Side quests are 'dailies') needed to actually build a character.

* Quest model where you can only have 1 Main / 3 Side / 1 Dungeon / 1 Story is, in my opinion, just a mechanic to drag out the time needed to play a zone. One should note that even though when you complete a quest, you (sometimes) get the completion reward on-the-spot via mail type mechanic, you STILL need to go back and pickup a new quest anyway. 95% or more of your 'game' time will be spent running from point to point.

* Really not much choice in progression. Choose a weapon, grind all the SP/AP to build that weapon. Rinse and Repeat. More grinding. There really is no choice, other than what weapon to start on first. Eventually, you do get some extra skills, and have to select what to go on your hotbar, but that selection is pretty straight forward depending on what you are going to be doing, Tank/Heal/DPS.

* Yes, this is yet another 'Holy Trinity' game. So tired of this model. Really.

* Yet another Single Player MMO. Every incentive NOT to play with other players, except in dungeons/Raids. Same old, same old.

* Gameplay is laggy, buggy, and not very smooth. Glowy quest items often do not work.

* So tired of the !/? Quest model. Time for it to go.

* Overall, I see TSW as a thinly disguised WOW clone. Not worth the $50 box price, and
    certainly not worth a $15/mo subscription.

* Box Purchase AND $15 Month Sub AND Cash Shop == Fail

Give it a try, if you have the extra $50 to spare. But, just be aware that this game is really in an advanced Beta state, and that it is a grinder. Nothing new to see here.

P.S. Even though ALL the cut-scenes show what most folks would consider to be standard, slow moving zombies, the zombies in TSW game itself are the fastest dang zombies I have ever seen.

Note: This is my review that I posted on Amazon, should it look familiar.
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    It saddens me to see such a great MMO tanked by reviews from WoW fanboys and **** game review sites. I used to have respect for you G4, Yeah I'm talking to you! Especially as a large number of these reviews came from a closed beta that doesn't come close to comparing to the current product. Anyway, being an MMO gamer since the days of text based mud's and a huge fan of the Elder ScrollIt saddens me to see such a great MMO tanked by reviews from WoW fanboys and **** game review sites. I used to have respect for you G4, Yeah I'm talking to you! Especially as a large number of these reviews came from a closed beta that doesn't come close to comparing to the current product. Anyway, being an MMO gamer since the days of text based mud's and a huge fan of the Elder Scroll series, I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across something new and quite refreshing. Everyone that says this game has bugs is right, but just about any large-scale MMO I've played at launch has had them. It's kind of a given when you're dealing with development on such a large scale where (from a coding perspective) everything ties into just about everything else. TSW has handled the bugs fairly well, though I'm not as much of a completionist as others. If I run across something that's not working at the moment, I'll just go back and do it later. No big deal.

The story and voice acting are superb. Best I've come across in a game so far. Many times I've been drawn in, laughed out loud, or cringed due to the quality of the voice acting in this game. It really is something else. The graphics are amazing. Coming from WoW and EVE, and then taking a break from both to play FPS's on the Xbox, I was really impressed. I had always thought EVE was the most beautiful game I had seen in a long time, and didn't think another game would come close in a very long time. I was wrong. The vistas don't quite have the scope of a massive world like WoW, but the details are incredible on ultimate settings. And I end up feeling like a dirty old man checking out the combat thong on the female character in front of me that is most likely being played by a dude.......I know........sad huh.

Watching the posts, likes, comments, and reviews on Facebook, and other review sites, I find a refreshingly large number of female gamers that have been drawn into the game. It adds a wonderful balance that I will not be likely to find anywhere else outside of the Sims, and Hello Kitty Palace. The multiplayer and storyline (PvE) portion of the game is really excellent. I find myself casually grouping with random players that I encounter as I ride solo completing missions and gathering loots. We don't even have to group up, we just end up helping each other and both get credit. It's a kind of cooperative play that is really enjoyable when I don't feel like grouping or being social. Especially when I'm only casually playing in bursts while doing other **** around the house.

Character customization could be expanded. I'd love to see more options, and I'm happy to know that more will be added over time, especially as this is a new game. And I can add or tweak my customization any time I want with the soon to be added plastic surgeon and tattoo artists. TSW's only real flaw at this time is the PvP. Unfortunately, there is NO OPEN WORLD PVP. Shame on you Funcom......shame. Way to cater to the carebears. The current PvP arenas are extremely engaging at first, but end up getting repetitive over time, and don't offer the same adrenaline and challenge of open world PvP areas that I have quite enjoyed and lived in on other MMO's. I do have high hopes though as the game is still in development and I have my fingers crossed that one of these days some open world PvP will finally be added.

Overall this game will be able to keep you engaged for quite some time. Especially if you're not the achievement hunter type that tries to rush through everything to get maxxed out as quickly as possible. It's staying power is a bit lacking, but that's also something to be expected of a newly launched game as more and more content will continue to be added. I am comfortable with the fact that if I do get bored and decide to hop back on the xbox for a little while, when I come back to TSW, there will always be something new for me to explore and return to. Even without added content, the current content is engaging enough for me to repeat many times over before needing some "fresh meat" so to speak.

While PvP can lose its luster over time, it does take a while for that to happen, and new stuff is already being added to the mix.

I'd like to deduct more for lack of open-world-pvp, but TSW makes up for it in so many other areas. Goodbye EVE Online, it was nice while it lasted. I have found myself a new playground.
  3. Aug 20, 2012
    Im LOVING The Secret World. I have encountered only a few minor bugs. The story is GREAT and the open builds for the characters is really a fresh idea.
  4. Aug 20, 2012
    Excellent game - the investigation missions are particularly fun, but it contains all the good Funcom trademarks - well supported guilds ('cabals'), immersive storyline, etc. The only thing preventing a 10/10 are the character graphics which - especially on lipsync mode - are not as smooth as they could be.
  5. Aug 20, 2012
    Interesting world, intriguing backstory, fun quests, smooth launch... what's not to like ?

This game is a very welcome deviation from the 'lets dumb it down to appeal to the masses' trend many other games employed lately... and, while is does have its silly points here & there, you definitely won't find any giant pandas... ;)
  6. Aug 19, 2012
    This is the best MMO right now..Wonderfully handcrafted masterpiece..Such a joy to play ..
    Combined with great atmosphere, great action filled combat and one of the most thrilling dungeon bosses created for an MMO..

The quests in this game is also very innovative, sure you have "classic" ones but even with those there is innovation. But the quests actually forces you to think, some are hard, some are VERY hard, but they still doesn't become frustrating,,
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    The Secret World is not a game for everyone. Its a thinking person's game. Personally I find the setting, the art work, the cut scenes and voice overs to be FANTASTIC. This is a game that will challenge you and will challenge most gamer's perspective - because it is not a simple game. It is not like the thousands of Ever Quest/Ultima Online spawn that has been on the market for over aThe Secret World is not a game for everyone. Its a thinking person's game. Personally I find the setting, the art work, the cut scenes and voice overs to be FANTASTIC. This is a game that will challenge you and will challenge most gamer's perspective - because it is not a simple game. It is not like the thousands of Ever Quest/Ultima Online spawn that has been on the market for over a decade. Its unique with some HUGE changes to the genre.

If you like adventure games, brain teasers, really tough boss fights, a literate community - then TSW may be your game. If you like to sign on, have your hand held and given loot easily, you will find TSW an unappealing game.

If you like The Longest Journey or Dreamfall, Ragnar Tornquist's games or Deus Ex or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, then you would like this game. If you like games by Blizzard or Arena Net (NC Soft) then this game may not be appealing.

To me, this is the best MMORPG on the market and I am very happy with my Lifetime Subscription.
  8. Aug 18, 2012
    I think that much of the negative press that this game has received is due to the critics having to pay the game for a few days and write a review about it. This works for some the less complex MMO's where it is easy to set up a cookie cutter character that is the same as 10,000 others in the game, and do just fine. The Secret World actually requires you to experiment and think forI think that much of the negative press that this game has received is due to the critics having to pay the game for a few days and write a review about it. This works for some the less complex MMO's where it is easy to set up a cookie cutter character that is the same as 10,000 others in the game, and do just fine. The Secret World actually requires you to experiment and think for yourself when building a character and that same complexity is going to be a turn off to the instant gratification segment of players.

If you give this game an honest chance and are not the type of person that wants a strategy guide to build your toon for you then TSW is a very fun game with some amazing depth. It still has som glitches and issues that the folks at Funcom are working to repair, but I would rather play a game with some problems and great potential than another WOW clone designed for 2nd graders.
  9. Aug 18, 2012
    Pretty much everything has already been said by others, but my main reason for giving this a full score is that it's just so refreshingly different and deep. Yes, there are a few mission bugs, but most are fixed now, and they are only minor problems. Graphics are great if you have the computer to run max (as with all other games...), music/sound backs up the mood and setting, developersPretty much everything has already been said by others, but my main reason for giving this a full score is that it's just so refreshingly different and deep. Yes, there are a few mission bugs, but most are fixed now, and they are only minor problems. Graphics are great if you have the computer to run max (as with all other games...), music/sound backs up the mood and setting, developers are listening, communicating and fixing. It can be a bit difficult and challenging, but come on - you cannot blame a game for not letting you cruise through all the content! Join a good Cabal that will help you if stuck, team up, try another approach.
    This game is not for anyone looking for an easy game, but if you value a bit of challenge, like to think a little in your games, enjoys great stories and characters - you HAVE to at least give it a try. You can sign up for free tryout if you hesitate spending any money.
  10. Aug 17, 2012
    As a veteran of many MMO over the past 10 years, I find TSW to be one of the most unique and entertaining. Its story telling and use of voice acting is top notch. Its atmosphere as a Horror MMO is also top notch. Its investigation missions (puzzles and research based) are innovative and never seen in any of the MMOs in my experience.

More importantly, The Devs and GMs are dedicated

More importantly, The Devs and GMs are dedicated to refining and making TSW a long lasting experience. GM support in-game has been excellent. Some of the bugs (non of them Earth shattering in my opinion) have addressed, while others are being worked on. New content has been added and will be added for the game's first two months.

9/10 in my book.
  11. gtb
    Aug 16, 2012
    TSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is theTSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is the game for you.

The fact that the critic score was low for this game is an absolute indication of how useless game critics have become. TSW is innovative, unique, and it almost completely breaks the mold of the standard MMO. There are a few areas that need improvement, but the launch was the smoothest of any MMO i've played on day one, and the storyline, voice acting, and quests are top notch. It is firmly in my top three favorite MMOs, and I hope it continues for a long time.
  12. Aug 16, 2012
    Finally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently andFinally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently and my advice to new comers is to look around and think like you are really there. There are yellow pages to browse in phone booths, ARG style websites on google. If you find a cellphone that says "the password is the first hymn on sunday", go to the church and look at where one would post hymns numbers in a real church. Expand
  13. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. If you have an appreciation for a well-crafted story, excellent graphics and a challenge unheard of in modern mmo's you should definitely give it a try. This is not a hand-holding experience. You are meant to apply your brain. It is REQUIRED that you adapt to your environment rather than faceroll your way through content. The skill system is deep, expansive andThis is a beautiful game. If you have an appreciation for a well-crafted story, excellent graphics and a challenge unheard of in modern mmo's you should definitely give it a try. This is not a hand-holding experience. You are meant to apply your brain. It is REQUIRED that you adapt to your environment rather than faceroll your way through content. The skill system is deep, expansive and complex, which creates it's own kind of metagame and you are never locked into a particular playstyle. Feel like healing? Swap to a healing build, Tanking? Throw on a few hp/defense/block items and change it up. As with any new MMO if you play hard you will run out of new stuff so I suggest taking it slow and savoring the experience.

The Dev team is passionate and communicate better than any team in any game I've ever played and aren't afraid to tell the whiners that it's MEANT to be hard.

You owe it to yourself to check this game out.
  14. Aug 16, 2012
    This is a great game. Loving the intricate stories and varied missions. The game is beautiful with and fun to play. There is so much to do from missions, dungeons, lairs, exploring, achievements and you get to use all the weapons and change from Tank to healer to DPS to suit the foe.
  15. Aug 16, 2012
    This is neither a game for people who like to have everything presented to them nor one for people who think racing to the end game is the point of an mmo. It is a game for people who like to solve puzzles and who slowly go through the game savouring the content. Like other people have mentioned the world design is superb, combat is fun and if it isn't anymore I just change my skill set toThis is neither a game for people who like to have everything presented to them nor one for people who think racing to the end game is the point of an mmo. It is a game for people who like to solve puzzles and who slowly go through the game savouring the content. Like other people have mentioned the world design is superb, combat is fun and if it isn't anymore I just change my skill set to something that suits my mood of the moment better and continue. The story keeps me wanting to go ahead with it and my own experience with customer support has been perfect. TSW general chat is the first one sofar where I haven't felt the need to search for the unsubscribe button first thing after entering the world. ----- It is not perfect and there are a few shortcomings and some things I wish Funcom could have solved differently which is why I didn't give it 10/10 but for me at least, it is the closest a mmo has ever come to satisfy my way of gaming. Expand
  16. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic game so far. It's one of those games that are seeming to become more rare these day. You know, the kinds of games that actually require you to think? Not only are the investigation quests a welcome addition to the classic fetch/collect/kill quests but they actually require you to use a little brain power and work out the solution yourself. Unless, of course, you fire up GoogleFantastic game so far. It's one of those games that are seeming to become more rare these day. You know, the kinds of games that actually require you to think? Not only are the investigation quests a welcome addition to the classic fetch/collect/kill quests but they actually require you to use a little brain power and work out the solution yourself. Unless, of course, you fire up Google and just find the solution that way. I say to hell with what all the "official" review sites say, this game is a must buy. Who the hell is Quarter to Three anyway? Expand
  17. Aug 15, 2012
    Immersion into this well-developed, rich environment is a snap. The single player experience of TSW is the best I've ever encountered from an MMO. Even the voice acting is superb! This game is perfect for gamers looking for something more than your typical "Kill X of Y monster and collect Z of their body parts." In The Secret World, many quests are puzzles which require a level ofImmersion into this well-developed, rich environment is a snap. The single player experience of TSW is the best I've ever encountered from an MMO. Even the voice acting is superb! This game is perfect for gamers looking for something more than your typical "Kill X of Y monster and collect Z of their body parts." In The Secret World, many quests are puzzles which require a level of thought beyond any MMO I've encountered - and I've played many. Something that has also helped me fall in love with this game is the community. Sure, there are your fair share of vulgar individuals; however, they seem to (fortunately) be the minority.

I've been playing this game non-stop for the past few days, and my excitement only continues to grow. It's worth mentioning that beyond seeing this game at PAX Easter I had neither followed its progress nor been exposed to any hype. Frankly, I forgot about this game entirely. After spending some time playing, though, my tune has changed entirely. There is (as of 8/15/12) a free 3-day trial being offered on Funcom's website and I *STRONGLY* encourage everyone to give it a shot. What have you got to lose? This game is a gem, and considering the nature of MMORPGs, will only shine brighter with the polish of content patches and fixes for (the VERY few) bugs present in the game.
  18. Aug 15, 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. The skill system allows me to decide how I want to play my character. The quests are well thought out and written. Last night I got the chills investigating a haunted asylum. I've mostly solo'd my way so far and am not rushing the game by any means. After a month and a half, just entering the second major zone.

Graphically it looks great whether I'm

Graphically it looks great whether I'm running it on my desktop or laptop computers. I haven't had any crash to desktop issues. And only experienced a few minor bugs in quests (both of which were handled by friendly GM's within 5 minutes of me posting a petition about it).

They've just announced their second "Issue" of new content; so the game continues to grow and evolve.

Some areas do need some work. PvP is a bit lackluster at the moment. But there are also some changes coming to the battlegrounds which may help address those. We'll wait and see.

I'm no where near endgame yet; so can't really comment on dungeons or raids so far.

At this point, though, I was already bailing out of SWTOR and some other recent MMO releases. With TSW I feel like I could be here a year or two from now and still enjoying myself.
  19. Aug 15, 2012
    really disappointed with this game. This game is mediocre at best, disappointing considering the development time it took it was suppose to be free to play i guess at the last minute they decided to slap a monthly few on it but judging by the couple of hours i spent in game it will probably be free to play or bankrupt in the next couple of months. combat was very disappointing reallyreally disappointed with this game. This game is mediocre at best, disappointing considering the development time it took it was suppose to be free to play i guess at the last minute they decided to slap a monthly few on it but judging by the couple of hours i spent in game it will probably be free to play or bankrupt in the next couple of months. combat was very disappointing really boring. the visuals in this game are nice and the premise is cool but over all this game isnt worth the price or the monthly fee wish i waited for reviews before throwing money down the drain :(. save your money or wait for a sale dont buy full price Expand
  20. Aug 15, 2012
    A lovely concept pretty much spoiled by terrible planning and execution. I gave this game a while, I really did, from beta testing to release and a month after. It's a slap in the face to all of us how many bugs we've reported that have taken so long to fix, how long they've left known issues unannounced, and how little attention they've given the support of supposedly supported graphicsA lovely concept pretty much spoiled by terrible planning and execution. I gave this game a while, I really did, from beta testing to release and a month after. It's a slap in the face to all of us how many bugs we've reported that have taken so long to fix, how long they've left known issues unannounced, and how little attention they've given the support of supposedly supported graphics cards. Inconsistant design elements, such as a single quest sometimes counting goals for the group and others demanding each individual carry them out, are constant immersion-breakers. The beta of this game was actually quite a lot better than the release version, sadly. The simple beauty of the basic world design is spoiled by so many filters, you'd think they were made of pure cowbell. Turn one way or another in the game world and things could turn green, or blue, or black and white, or distorted. Everything, it seems, can be improved with MOAR FILTERS!!! Hokey fight sounds, grunts and screams, are cringe-worthy in the somber Lovecraftian setting. They also fly in the face of a choice not to voice the main character, supposedly to let the user define their reactions. Finicky, frustrating movement puzzles are made tedious by bugs and terrain design problems, and a mistaken idea that people enjoy attempting the same jumps over and over because a minute reflex deficit or an FPS drop-- far too common in this game-- sent them back to the beginning. Just to make sure it isn't something that might become relaxed and fun, there are timers, yay! Tedium and tension seem to be the goal. The worst choice, however, was the one to make so many puzzles environmentally dependant while failing to properly gate simultaneous action. Many proximity triggers-- which are annoyingly routine in the game-- will fail if two people walk up to them simultaneously, which in an MMO, happens a LOT. No matter how many times we point that out, they don't change. This kind of group-busting activity happens too often in the game, sometimes even splitting groups off into solo instances mid-quest. It's very frustrating for people who use MMOs to spend extra time with friends.

I want this game to succeed, but I want it to be fixed first. I think adding new content without fixing the problems is a slap in the face to everybody who supports this game and endures the problems. They need to get their act together before I can give them a good score.

3 points for good writing and some good characters-- when you can actually see the animations smoothly, when their faces move properly, and they aren't bugged by being rendered live rather than being rendered beforehand as proper cutscenes. Very sad that the anatomy and general appearance of the so-called 'cinematic' cutscenes is so grossly off the mark, considering their extensive use of motion capture. All in all, give it a miss until they clean up their act.
  21. Aug 14, 2012
    If you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would beIf you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would be unhelpful to you as a player. Questing and builds have to be treated entirely differently. For instance, questing is about stories, not about loot or XP farming. You can only pursue one major quest actively. This means if you take a new quest your other quest is paused. Meaning you can't just collect a list of chores and go do them. Even if you were allowed to do this it would be extremely difficult as some of the people near the initial quest givers give quests for much more experienced characters. You want to choose one quest, and follow the quest chain all across the zone until you are brought back to the hub. Character builds are different in that there are no classes, or restrictions on how many abilities you can get. There are weapons, and restrictions on what kind of abilities you can have actively. The system is confusing at first, and you will make mistakes. However these mistakes end up just being another set of options you have later. You really only need one character, and you never need to repeat content if you don't want to. The game is young and has a few flaws. It has bugs, and it is thirsty for all those small pieces of content that older games are riddled with (homes, marriages,new clothing). PvP is kind of an after thought, and if you are thirsty for pvp content honestly I would suggest Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends as those provide great pvp for free. Expand
  22. Aug 14, 2012
    I have never played a so polished and clean game ever before. It is one of the best MMO and we can clearly see it is Ragnar Tørnquest who are the director behide this wonderfull game. I love the grapich, the fantasy, the storysetting..

It is a wonderfull game!
  23. Aug 14, 2012
    This MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it givesThis MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it gives the game some real versatility, and you never are in a position where you regret your class choice, because there are no classes! Want to do something else? Just buy the abilities with experience and do it. Expand
  24. Aug 14, 2012
    I was tentative at first, after Funcom's AO and AOC debacles. TSW makes me feel more confident that Funcom can do a good job. The areas are interesting, exciting and fresh. The missions range from easy "collect these items" to challenging investigation missions that have no waypoints provided to the user.

I love this game and the environment it gives us to run around in.
  25. Aug 14, 2012
    I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry.I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. The content is actually difficult (in Nightmare mode) and highly dynamic. The community is great. Never takes more than 5 minutes to find a group for anything I'd like to work on. Are there a few bugs, sure. But the game has been live for only a few months and they're fixing things everyday. I'm a lifetime subscriber and will play this for a LONG time. Thank you Funcom. Expand
  26. Aug 14, 2012
    This is a very nice game, good gameplay and level mechanics and the whole quest system is really well set : mysteries, enigmas and stuff that will make your brain work (once in a while, that's good).
    The dark side of all this ? The PVP system.
    The dark side of all this ? The PVP system.
    Two maps where you'll probably never go, a giant map where it gets boring after 20 minutes but still good for fast xp. Battles can't last for long because you'll get blown to pieces in split seconds and that's the sad part, really. A better PVP system and real good maps could give this game a 8 instead of 6 (for me). I guess this game can easily create his own fans and stand still with the arrival of GW2 but players who want some more action and epic battles will go to GW2, i can bet it.
  27. Aug 14, 2012
    This game is a whole bucket of awesome sause. The action ranges from survival horror to Indiana Jones exploration. There are also alot of hidden things (easter eggs) that are not easily found. Granted this game isn't like most and does take some time breaking out of old habits. I have found a few issues but their GM/customer support was able to help me get back on track in no time.This game is a whole bucket of awesome sause. The action ranges from survival horror to Indiana Jones exploration. There are also alot of hidden things (easter eggs) that are not easily found. Granted this game isn't like most and does take some time breaking out of old habits. I have found a few issues but their GM/customer support was able to help me get back on track in no time. Also their announcement of monthly content updates has made me one happy customer. Expand
  28. Aug 13, 2012
    Secret World is a mixed bag of great game and dropped balls. It excels in story and voice acting, but your character does not speak and just weirdly gestures. The environments are excellent and atmospheric and draws you into the world, but character customization (hair, face, body type) severely lacks, and animation is still horrendous even after trying to fix it between betas and launch.Secret World is a mixed bag of great game and dropped balls. It excels in story and voice acting, but your character does not speak and just weirdly gestures. The environments are excellent and atmospheric and draws you into the world, but character customization (hair, face, body type) severely lacks, and animation is still horrendous even after trying to fix it between betas and launch. It's still the same idle pose, and your char wont move unless he sheathes his weapons. Funcom's excuse for horrible animation is the untethering of the lower & upper bodies for being able to cast while moving. But other devs (in newer MMOs) have done this without the same horrible result in TSW. This can be overlooked if Funcom is new to MMOs and building games, but it is not. 3-faction PVP, as advertised being a main feature, is not implemented well in Fusang and ends up just a game of switching control between wells. Bugs, bugs, bugs. it gets frustrating when you are at step 6 of 7 and the next step wont trigger. Their workaround: go to a dimension where the quest isnt bugged. Funcom is doing all this charging you for the box price, for a monthly and a cosmetic shop. So much promise, but it got Funcommed and EA'd. Expand
  29. Aug 13, 2012
    Despite the Critic reviews, I bought this game, and I am super glad I did. Clearly the critics didn't actually play the game because it has so many good things about it.

First and foremost the graphics and story are phenomenal. The cut scenes and voice acting make me look forward to the missions. The graphics are exceptionally well done and suit the story and environment perfectly.

The game mechanics are also very well done. There are no "classes" or "levels", and surprisingly it really does work. You can make any type of character you like based on the skills you choose. And what's really great is that you never have to reroll your character because quests are repeatable so you can earn more points to try new skills. Also, although I haven't tried it, you can advance your character via PvP battles, but I am too wrapped up in the awesome story and side quests to do that.

Speaking of which... I am 42 hours into the game and it has been a blast. Even if there is no endgame content when I finish it in another 50-60 hours, I am very glad at having spent the $50 I paid for this game.

So, try the game despite the critics reviews. Maybe they got paid off to bad mouth it. Maybe they just didn't bother learning the ropes of a game that is very much NOT A COOKIE CUTTER CLONE of any MMO's in recent history. The game has very open ended ways to play it, so if it's hand holding you want, stick with WoW or any of it's clones.
  30. Aug 13, 2012
    I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously,I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously, the infrastructure setup is phenomenal. No server crashes or lag in the most populated areas of the game at all. To make things even better, Funcom actually listens to the community and makes changes based on player feed back.

Second, I gotta hand it to all the derps who wrote reviews regarding EA and how any game problems are their fault. We all know EA turns to crap anything it touches, but EA has nothing to do with TSW except for the publishing, you know, the distribution aspect. They have no control over how the game is made in any way, shape or form. Zero development control. Learn to do your research first.

I've had the chance to read some of the lower score reviews other people have written and it's quite clear that some majority of them are WoW babies who aren't used to having a game that doesn't practically play itself. Yes, the game is challenging, yes you will have to think for yourself, yes you can't just stand in one place and spam an iwin button until everything is dead. Yes, the game will feel clunky at first to anybody who's used to WoW, but if you actually spend some time and play the game you'll quickly find that what initially feels like "clunky" is actually just "different" and after spending some hours figuring it out you'll have no problems adapting.

The skill / ability system is complex. Yes, it would have been easy for the entire system to end up unusable and utterly broken because of how complex it is, but Funcom pulled it off and made something awe inspiring. It's hard to make a build that's just inherently broken as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. The level of customizability is amazing and vast.

Visually, this game is also pretty impressive for an MMO. There's no WoW or GW2 stylized anime-ish graphics here. This game isn't set in never-never land, this is the real world and things look like it. The only drawback is that, as people have so fervently pointed out, the combat animations are a bit wonky but if that's actually a major complaint then I think you just need to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint. It's less stressful.

The story line and plot of this TSW is so engrossing and well written that I can't even adequately put it into words. I find myself watching EVERY cutscene, talking to every NPC and listening to all the dialog they have to offer. The mission completion texts for the Illuminati are just as rewarding than the XP and item rewards. And the Lore. Don't get me started on the Lore, I'll be here all day. FANTASTIC!

In all, this game isn't for everyone, but for the rest of us who aren't concerned with flashy combat animations and anime inspired graphics and for those of us who would like to use that 3 pound lump jelly inside of our skulls, this is the MMO we've been waiting for.
  31. IMC
    Aug 13, 2012
    This game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to otherThis game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to other released titles these past years. If you are one of those people that has been almost dying waiting for a change of scenery and innovation in the never-ending copy-cat mmo industry, TSW is for. And the fun has only began. Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2012
    A strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends toA strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends to play together even from different servers.

There are three things I think really stand out for this game:

-Non-linear character progression
    There are no levels in this game. There are nine weapon types, from which you can equip any two at a time, and each has it's own skill tree with about 50 abilities. These trees start with cheap, up-front abilities, and branch into more expensive, specialized ones. The catch is, at any time you're limited to 7 active (clicky) abilities, and 7 passive abilities. The game facilitates and encourages swapping these in and out as your situation requires, which can be done instantly and freely anytime you're out of combat. This is way more enjoyable customization than what "talent trees" and classes in other MMOs tend to provide. It also tends to solve the natural lack of tanks/healers, since these roles have the option to deal damage with a simple gear/spec swap.

-Engaging story and dungeons
    Most of your experience points will come from completing quests, which are usually much better than those offered up in other MMOs, and are repeatable on about a day's cooldown. The game differentiates between different kinds of quests, and by design limits you to one main quest at a time, making it more engaging and less of a to-do kill list. Action quests are closest to your standard MMO fair: you kill a progression of baddies usually culminating with some big baddie at the end. Sabotage missions typically involve sneaking around some cameras, traps, or high-powered guards, with very minimal fighting. Investigation missions will test your puzzling skills and imagination, and even require looking up information outside of the game (hieroglyphics, Morse code, ISBN numbers on books, etc). The latter can be incredibly rewarding both in xp and in the atypical nature of the quest, though like any puzzle game solutions can also be found online.

Dungeons are very well streamlined. Trash pulls are almost non-existent, so the group can focus on the real meat of group instanced combat: the boss fights. There's plenty going on during the fights, almost every fight has you dodging some badness, reacting to changing phases and adds, etc. Roles tend to stay pretty close to the "holy-trinity" of tank+healer+3dps, but the nature of setting up your 7 actives/passives leaves within that quite a bit of room for diversity - off heals/tank are definitely possible, and anyone can opt for a personal heal/cleanse at the cost of one of those 7 precious slots.

-Social
    It's the little things. Like most MMOs Secret World breaks into server instances to manage its user base into manageable chunks. Unlike most MMOs, Funcom didn't make this into an artificial barrier to playing with your friends. Your friends list seamlessly crosses servers, and you can join a group with someone on another server and temporarily hop to their server to play.

Because there are no levels, there's no level gap, either. You can group with another player regardless of different power levels, and complete missions, and not feel penalized for it, and because you can repeat most missions you can always find something to do together.

These two things together might easily be the biggest selling point for the MMO, and they're so simple it's stupid, but so many other AAA MMO games get it wrong, in my opinion. The most important thing in an MMO game is the game should be multiplayer friendly, you should be able to join your friends and find rewarding content to enjoy effortlessly - and Funcom nailed this.
  33. Aug 13, 2012
    this game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secretthis game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secret world . why people are turn off by the secret world is because no one knows about it. quest titles are fun to read and fun to try to finger out how to do the quest "Hell and Bach " some quest like hell and bach needs you to ask for help do you wan to know why you need to pay attention to what is given to in the 1 part of the quest ORDERINT DUM METUANT this is latan for "Let them hate as long as they fear Expand
  34. Aug 13, 2012
    Immersive, exciting, daring, attention grabbing and yes sometimes frustrating. All these adjectives describe my adventures in The Secret World.

In this place I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do... A sexy axe weilding brunnette who can shoot lightning from her fingers.... a frumpy old man with a shotgun in his hands and pistols at his side.... an innocent co-ed just rolled out of bed, still in her bunny slippers wielding an assault rifle and a pair of fist weapons, more deadly than her cute smile would indicate..

This is an MMO unlike any I have ever played. The learning curve is higher than average but there are many opportunities to learn in cleverly placed solo instances along your journey that make you break away from the pack so you can use your build to face the challenge laid before you... If you fail you have the opportunity to change your actives or passives as you need to defeat the challenge... If you cannot, go out earn some more xp and pick up the abilities that you failed to do so in the past so you can come back in and win.

I can tank, heal and dps all on the same toon.. I can build a straight out healer or a combination of skills as unique or cookie cutter as I want... Exploration... OMG! I investigate and solve riddles that make me find it within myself to translate morse code, read runes, follow signals, search google for both well and unknown litterature and art all on my journey through the world.

I feel like I cannot fully express the contents of the secret world... It really can be what you want it to be. If you allow yourself to progress at your pace and fully immerse yourself in the game it can be a fun escape... I cannot wait to face the gatekeeper and see how I do. The gatekeeper is a solo challenge that you must win in order to enter the nightmare modes. You can face him as a tank, dps or a healer... you must face him alone. Some people make it look easy, others have been unable to pass... I don't know what type of challenge faces me but I cannot wait to find out.

The only area I am waiting for improvement on is the PVP. I love some PVP but this game does't quite do it for me.... A 3 faction fight has alll sorts of fun written all over it. It will happen though, eventually.. until then I can get my PVP fix elsewhere.. the rest of the world is just amazing....
  35. Aug 13, 2012
    No classes, no levels, total user choice of how to play the character, not fixed roles, stunning visual in DX11, missions that you need to use brain to complete, 3 faction pvp with a persistent zone and facton buffs... very good game
  36. Aug 13, 2012
    The atmosphere and aesthetics of this game are just through the roof compared with any other MMORPG I've played. The scenery, the NPCs, the quests are all truly very well done - and the investigation quests are of old-school puzzle RPG complexity and will really force you to think out of the box. The flexibility of the classless ability wheel provides for a ton of on-the-fly gameplayThe atmosphere and aesthetics of this game are just through the roof compared with any other MMORPG I've played. The scenery, the NPCs, the quests are all truly very well done - and the investigation quests are of old-school puzzle RPG complexity and will really force you to think out of the box. The flexibility of the classless ability wheel provides for a ton of on-the-fly gameplay variety (and you'll need to use it and swap abilities in and out later in the game). Combat is fun and dynamic, where positioning matters versus most mobs - they'll use AoE effects you should dodge, plenty of options to break LOS to mobs with cast time abilities, and versus groups you can line them up so they get in each other's way and only a few can hit you at a time. The instances are very fun and rewarding, with interesting boss mechanics and hardly any trash mobs. And the classless system means it is really easy for people to jump into tank and healer roles so you can form a viable group. Expand
  37. Aug 13, 2012
    This is probably the best and most unique mmo that has come around for many a years. Its a long time since i mmo gave me that magic mmo feeling that only two other mmo's gave me... AO and EVE online.

Seriously.. this game deserves to be tried.
  38. Aug 13, 2012
    This is, simply put, the best and most original MMORPG I have ever played. So if you're looking for a game set in present day, which flirts a lot with the horror genre and has a great depth when it comes to storytelling, then this game is definitely for you.
  39. Aug 12, 2012
    The Secret World is an amazing mmo, with unique style setting it apart from all others. Unfortunately it is dragged down by technical issues and the worst tech support seen on the mmo-market.

Let's start with the good parts: The Secret World is the first mmo in a long time that wants you to think. It takes place in a mock version of our own world and time, where monsters and conspiracies are real but hidden from regular people. It takes inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King in fabricating a world of horrors, and dumping you in the middle of it.

Pay attention to the details, because they are masterfully crafted. Every character, monster, or even piece of decor has a good reason for being where it is. Similarities to the real world shouldn't be ignored, because this game flirts heavily with Alternate Reality Games. If you find a business card in-game, you will find the company's website on the real net. Many quests requires you to browse these websites for answers, or ask you to use real skills, like history, religion or even Morse code in order to solve them.

And beneath it all lies hints to a story that keeps growing every month.

Game play is class-less, with a system of unlocking skills that theoretically allows you to learn every skill in the game. Skills only scale in power depending on you equipment, and unlocking new skills offers more flexibility instead of power. At any time, you have a small sub-set of skills "equipped", and can swap them out at will. Much like a good trading card game, it all boils down to finding unique and powerful combinations, or "decks", of skills.

This system of advancement works well, and as you progress, you will need to keep optimizing your skill-set to stand a chance against more difficult enemies.

The game play, story and setting are all masterfully done, so what stops it from getting a top score?

The bugs. All mmo-games have bugs, especially at launch, but The Secret World is a top offender. Broken quests (in a story-driven game), unreliable chat-system, non-functioning skill-management, often bad performance, and a lot more. What makes things worse is that after more than a month since launch, only a small handful of bugs are really fixed. Communication is almost non-existent, and players have no idea if it will take days, weeks, or even months to fix core mechanics of the game.

The tech support is no help either. Every question you ask will be met by a wall of apologies and sympathies, but no real help is ever provided. GMs do not communicate with each other, and the ticket system can have you bounced between a dozen different GMs, all giving wildly different answers, or asking for information that has been provided several times before.

It is not uncommon to see tech support giving answers that completely ignore the actual issue you are having.

The final verdict is that The Secret World could be a great game, but isn't yet. If you are very tolerant of technical issues in games, it may be worth it to take a gamble at this game. For everybody else, I recommend you wait and see what happens. If Funcom gives The Secret World the treatment it deserves, all serious issues will be fixed in a few months, and you can enjoy one of the best mmo-games ever to be released.
  40. Aug 12, 2012
    A refreshing setting. Quests that feel meaningful and challenging. And a solid base for improvement after a smoothest launch in recent years. It tells a story unlike I have encountered in an MMO. It has potential to last, but only time will tell if Funcom can utilize it to fullest. It's main fault and blessing is that it does not try to please everybody.
  41. Aug 12, 2012
    Aside from the brilliant setting, atmosphere and story, what makes me love this game is the gear and ability system. The sheer gaming joy of going through all the options and choosing the 7 actives and 7 passives suiting my style and preferences is unparalelled IMO. Currently I have 8 setups of gear and abilites stored, incorporating pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, chaos magic, bloodAside from the brilliant setting, atmosphere and story, what makes me love this game is the gear and ability system. The sheer gaming joy of going through all the options and choosing the 7 actives and 7 passives suiting my style and preferences is unparalelled IMO. Currently I have 8 setups of gear and abilites stored, incorporating pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, chaos magic, blood magic and elementalism (I'm not too keen on melee). One of these is for soloing some very hard mobs dropping signets (more on these in a bit), and I made it after trying tons of combinations, trying and failing until I found one that worked. In most other MMO's, you only have the choice of one of the 2-3 cookie cutter builds your class offers (SWtOR, I'm looking at you). I have 3 different builds I change between while doing nightmare difficulty dungeons, one for single target dps and two for AoE. The variations are seemingly endless.

Then there is the gear. You choose yourself if you want to focus on healing, damage or raw health. Then you soon find out you need to put glyphs in your gear, and choose whether to emphasize hit rating, critical hits, evade, damage mitigation, etc., or whatever combination of the possible effects that most synergize with your build. When you get to the best gear, quality level 10, you get signet slots added to the mix. These can be straight up +2 % damage to pistols etc., or a variety of proc-type effects, and again you nee to find the ones the most fitting to your build. For people like me, with a constantly wandering mind and urge to explore and try new things all the time, this is character customization heaven. Besting other people's builds in pvp is of course even more fun.

Considering the above, and that the game have hardly any bugs, and that Funcom have promised new content on a monthly basis, I have no qualms about rating this game a 10.
  42. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen atI'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen at launch, and it's already improving. This game gets all the thumbs up!

Other moments of awesome of interest: Getting to use sledgehammers, axes, shotguns, chainsaws, and flamethrowers against zombies. Losing a helicopter ride to Cthulhu's cousin. Getting to wear denim in combat (armor gets sweaty, yanno?) [spoiler] ing the freaking legendary [spoiler] [spoiler] away from [spoiler] . (Seriously, you can't miss it.) Going to have to stop there, because a lot of the awesome gets spoiler-y quick.

Practical awesomeness: Builds are powerful because of synergy, and buffed by gear. I had a tank that debuffed enemy offense, buffed his own health and damage resist, and hulked out on command. The debuffed enemies also triggered a number of benefits. Swapping a few powers around produced an insanely resilient solo build.

Toon clothing is cheap, and some of it's unlocked by achievement. It has nothing to do with stats... so your appearance is a matter of personal taste. I confess, I've walked to the clothing shoppe after unlocking a nice jacket... because I wanted some pants to go with it. Some faction-specific costumes are quite stunning. (Not all. Some.)

You have an absurdly high maximum for inventory space. At the high end, you can absolutely keep several sets of gear only varying in their secondary stats, to help with various builds. At the mid-range, you can easily set aside some space for crafting. There is no craft skill. Consumable kits and raw ingredients obtained via milling and refining gear you don't need anymore comprise the whole of it. The crafting is less about making something more potent, and more about upgrading that one stubborn slot you haven't found a replacement for in ages.

Some quests are about using interactive terrain features to avoid combat. Set off a car alarm to make a guard leave their post. Avoid security cameras and laser tripwires. Find access codes to open a gate... or find a good spot to jump over the fence. Sneaking around mobs is always a fun part of MMOs... and there are missions that reward it.

Grouping cross-dimension is allowed, and encouraged, and a thoroughly underrated benefit. Being able to run a pick-up-group with people around the globe means night owls in one part of the planet can team up with early risers overseas when you finally have time to run that dungeon you wanted... but nobody in your time zone is online.

Quest tracking is very different. One "main" mission, The Story Mission, and 3 side missions. Dungeon missions have their own slot too. "Main" missions are given by a character, with a cutscene. Side missions are interesting elements you find lying about. A note, an odd artifact, a trail of blood... The rewards are not huge, but they are often quick, and built to lead you to where another quest starts. If you pick up another quest, you pause the first until you resume it from the source... with your progress saved.

In-game browser at a button-press is included in the game, pointing to google. It isn't a joke. I had to research a couple articles to solve quests. I've needed paper and pencil to crack cryptography. Or to look up a solution, so I could benefit from someone else typing out binary or transcribing morse code to figure out coordinates, or getting a laptop password cracked.

In other words:

The game is levelless, makes you work at solving problems, makes you look closely, at the world, and explore. The writing is solid. The characters are interesting. The ability system is extremely interesting (and I'm pretty sure you can't actually have an "optimal" build, because situations vary... and a lot of things work just fine). With the plans to keep adding more content monthly (which sounds like a crazy-fast release schedule to me, mad props if they can keep that up.) I doubt I'll be getting bored anytime soon. :)
  43. Aug 12, 2012
    It's a fun game. Perhaps not suited for people that are used to grinding through an MMO but if you treat it like a game its really good. The plot and setting are refreshing and the skill tree is ok (a bit confusing )

Try to avoid using walkthroughs or google. It will really suck the fun out of the very fun puzzles. Me and my wife really enjoy solving them together.
  44. Aug 10, 2012
    I do not like to write reviews, but for this game I will make an exception.
    This game is exceedingly good. The design is phenomenal; all the way from the combat system to the manner in which the missions (or quests are performed).
    When playing this game, you can clearly see and feel the level hard work, thought and creation put into The Secret World. It is clearly a labor of love. I
    I do not like to write reviews, but for this game I will make an exception.
    I enjoy coming home from work and being able to sit down and actually be *challenged* in a game, unlike any game I've played since back in the days of vanilla WoW.
    It does have a few bugs, like any game during first release, but not nearly in such quantity as usually found in new MMOs.

I do not like to write reviews and I do not care to read "critic" reviews, as most of us know and understand that money plays a part in how their reviews are formed.

I want to stand up for this game. It's one of the best games I've ever played. It does NOT deserve the bad reviews that have been released; which clearly will result in a lot of hurt and disappointment.
    This game is wonderful and I plan to keep playing.
    I should note too, no one has *PAID* me to say this.
  45. Rye
    Aug 10, 2012
    This game is refreshing. You do not have 42 active skills/spells to deal with on your hot bar. Instead you have 500+ to choose and add 7 to the hot/action bar. With this you can play the game and not just play a hot bar.
    Missions; yes you do have a few of the typical kill ten rats, but they are far and few between and most missions are interesting and fun. Also, the puzzle missions are way to fun to not mention and there are more of them coming. The current community of the game is a good one, seems more mature then some other games that I have played.
  46. Aug 10, 2012
    At first, I didn't like The Secret World (TSW) when I tried it in Beta, mostly for it's controls. Man I hated those controls.

However, there were many things I did enjoy. The story, the environment, the graphics, and the customization, all of which are spectacular. Last week, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller, and let me tell you, what

Last week, I decided to give it another go, but this time, I hooked up an Xbox 360 controller, and let me tell you, what a difference that made! My initial misgivings over the controls were quickly forgotten, and I was quickly able to get back to enjoying what was truly important about the game.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys games with good storylines, or games with good graphics, or games set in a modern, realistic environment. Additionally, if you are a fan of puzzles and figuring out complex mysteries, this game is totally for you!

Right now, the game is still new, so some bugs and gliches are to be expected. However, those will be overcome in time. Patience is a key when jumping into a new MMO. But in the case of TSW, that patience will pay off.
  47. Aug 10, 2012
    I really wasn't sold on the Secret World, but I find myself happily surprised by its maturity, intelligence, and interest in offering players something new. The Secret World has ...
    ... top of the line writing (on par with the best non-MMO PC games out there),
    ... top of the line writing (on par with the best non-MMO PC games out there),
    ... top of the line voice acting (see above, so much so that most of the game's characters are already stuck in my mind, as any other film character would),
    ... great pop culture references (that don't go over-board),
    ... an excellent variety of quest types (puzzles, grinds, investigations, etc.),
    ... a fantastic mood (love the 'Siren Song' mission for instance, with that heartbreaking half-transformed unfortunate lost in the sewers),
    ... a great look,
    ... excellent dashes of humor (be they in the writing, in the acting, in the animations -- love all those sad-funny-pathetic zombie animations--, or in the audio design -- love those coughing monsters, etc),
    ... a keen interest in offering gamers a multifaceted take on non-western cultures and protagonists,
    ... a very rich universe ("very" is a misnomer of course, as there's a quasi infinite variety of tales to tackle),
    ... an open skill system that let's you decide how you want to play your character,
    ... a combat system that stands out as it requires gamers finesse and preparation,
    ... and loads of room to grow.

Really the best modern MMO out there, one that offers a rich mythology, and a stable environment in which to explore it, after only a month live!

The game is stable, with only a few minor bugs, and a crew of dedicated, experienced devs.

The game's not for everyone, but if you are curious, and in the mood for game design that stands out for trying to and succeeding at offering new things to the tired MMO world, give "The Secret World" a chance.
  48. Aug 10, 2012
    I've been playing MMO's since 1998, and spent the best part of ten years playing Ultima Online, so I am as you might imagine a firm fan of Sandboxes. That said, The Secret World is one of the best online gameplay experiences I have had the pleasure of experiencing, and it terms of Theme Parks is top dog in my view.
    The story, the voice acting, the graphics, the theme and setting, the
    The story, the voice acting, the graphics, the theme and setting, the sheer number of builds I can play with... all fantastic. The game does have it's flaws and still needs some polish here and there, but if it keeps growing and more content gets added it will become a juggernaut in time.
    I also have a great deal of faith in Ragnar, Joel, Martin and co who developed the game. I am sure they will continue to improve the game and deliver an awesome experience.
  49. Aug 10, 2012
    Although not for everyone, the secret world is possibly the best mmo released since world of warcraft.
    It does play differently then many of the MMO's released to date, it's more difficult to understand the concept of the classless ability system (skill wheel) but when you get it the possibilities are almost endless.

Buy it and try it for atleast a month, you won't regret it.
  50. Aug 10, 2012
    The Secret World is in my humble opinion the best MMO on the market per 2012. If you like pandas and cuddly toons, this game is probably not for you. I've played for 250 hours and looking forward to playing hundreds more!
  51. Aug 10, 2012
    First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007.First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007. Definitely worth trying. Expand
  52. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is absolutely top notch!! It is unlike any other MMO you have played. The game has great atmosphere, amazing story and great zones to play through. It also has a really unique leveling system, with no levels. This game definitely deserves a reward!! 10/10
  53. Aug 10, 2012
    I have had little interest in any MMO, until I started following this game. The story is engaging, the skills are interesting, and some of the quests actually require thought! The thing that knocked it down from a 10 is the lack of meaningful PvP content, which is hopefully coming with one of the monthly content patches.
  54. Aug 10, 2012
    One of the best mmorpg i have played in years. Top notch atmosphere, great cut scenes and graphics which put every other game to shame.
    Combat is really brilliant, i needed some time to get used to the new mechanics, but after then it wasn't the typical button smashing anymore. It was like playing a genius card game.
    Enemies and Mobs are good, nice AI, and interesting special moves. You
    Enemies and Mobs are good, nice AI, and interesting special moves. You have to move sometimes. The dungeons are not a cakewalk either. But the best thing are the missions. I never played better or more interesting missions in all my game life (20+years), they are hard and they are good. And nothing can offer you more adventure,mystery and horror. The writing is on par with top movies.
  55. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is what has been missing from the MMO space for a very long time. It feels like forever since I've played a game that has captured my interest as much, a game that challenges the brain as well as telling a compelling story. It's not a game for you if you like to power level (levels are largely irrelevant) or if you hate to watch cut scenes, but if you want to play something thatThis game is what has been missing from the MMO space for a very long time. It feels like forever since I've played a game that has captured my interest as much, a game that challenges the brain as well as telling a compelling story. It's not a game for you if you like to power level (levels are largely irrelevant) or if you hate to watch cut scenes, but if you want to play something that doesn't treat you like an idiot, check this out.

The combat is simple to grasp the basics of, but displays its true versatility when exploring the range of complementary skills. Over time it deepens and broadens your range of options, forcing the player to adapt as the play field difficulty ramps up. While there have been rumblings that combat is over simplistic, that's an illusion; it's as complex as you want it to be, and necessitates experimentation.

Again, this is not your game if you don't like to make choices, or you want a "one size fits all" play style.

The environments are broad and challenging, with a good variety of mission types. It's not an all you can eat buffet, with a stack of quests you pile up to munch through, it's a stride through a roaring market where you sample what takes your fancy as you take in the spectacle. The system of tiered missions encourages exploration and avoids leading you by the nose while still displaying the play fields to best advantage.

No need to emphasis the quality of the cut-scenes and the story, as the most biased of Nay Sayers have been unable to find fault with either of these features. I could go on, but the review is already too long and I want to get back to playing...
  56. Aug 10, 2012
    i consider myself addicted to the MMORPG genre having to play just about every new one that comes out. The Secret World is a fresh modern day take on the genre. i started playing during the last couple of betas, pre-ordered, and signed on for lifetime a week into the games launch. the game has seen significant improvement over time and can only get better with monthly content updates.i consider myself addicted to the MMORPG genre having to play just about every new one that comes out. The Secret World is a fresh modern day take on the genre. i started playing during the last couple of betas, pre-ordered, and signed on for lifetime a week into the games launch. the game has seen significant improvement over time and can only get better with monthly content updates. would be a perfect 10 if it weren't for PvP issues and a mission bug here and there, but they are very minor issues. Expand
  57. Aug 10, 2012
    The Secret World is what I have been searching for. It combines the sensitivities and fascinating world-building of an adventure game with the complexities and social tools of an MMOG. The Universe is top notch, Funcom's storytelling at it's finest. The game mechanics (particularly character customization) may not be as excitingly new as some people seem to think they should be, butThe Secret World is what I have been searching for. It combines the sensitivities and fascinating world-building of an adventure game with the complexities and social tools of an MMOG. The Universe is top notch, Funcom's storytelling at it's finest. The game mechanics (particularly character customization) may not be as excitingly new as some people seem to think they should be, but they are solid and fit the game.

I especially appreciate that the narrative the player goes through does not try to convince the player that he is "special". You are a soldier, one of many, and it is not surprising that there are a bunch of people running around doing the same work you are.

The game is not without its faults. Lag in PvP and a handful of other irritating bugs keep this game from being a 10, for now. However, with the fast roll-out of updates planned for the game, I am confident many of these complaints will be fixed, and look forward to spending many years in the Secret World.
  58. Aug 10, 2012
    This game is incredible and awesome.
    Even if it has several weaknesses and few bugs, we must admit that this game is a truly innovation in the MMO genre.
    Just give it a try and you will understand this is something you
  59. Aug 10, 2012
    This game REALLY shines in its creativity on gameplay, story line and ability to get you hooked! The system on abilities are out of this world, the possibilities are almost endless! and the game wants you too pursue how you like to play with your character not needing to play what the game needs you to play. There are so much they can add later on to the game, the world are so open withThis game REALLY shines in its creativity on gameplay, story line and ability to get you hooked! The system on abilities are out of this world, the possibilities are almost endless! and the game wants you too pursue how you like to play with your character not needing to play what the game needs you to play. There are so much they can add later on to the game, the world are so open with possibilities and they have already launched a monthly content pack! No MMORPG have this kind of content flow, and i'm positive that Funcom will deliver months and months on. Thank you Funcom for this great game, and too bad for my wife that you made it.... Expand
  60. Aug 10, 2012
    I have played many MMORPGs before I tried The Secret World, but none has been able to pull me away from my primary game. However, with TSW this changed. My primary game is now TSW, and that is the only game I play.

The main reason for that is that the game is really good at keeping you on your toes. By that I mean that you have to pay attention to the fighting, there is no q /afk, auto attack. You have to constantly pay attention to and avoid monsters attacks by strafing and dodging. The flexibility of building your character, and in combination with the gear manager, you can swap between tank, healer, dps with a click of a button. This makes it really easy to form teams that work well. The play fields in the world look amazing, though there might be games out there with slightly better looking graphics, the mood in the settings is absolutely unparalleled. Some of the missions might make you have nightmares, that's how good they are.

All the people I meet in the game seems genuinely happy with the game thus creating a very good community.

If you are tired of rage quitting your current game, why not give TSW a chance to illuminate you with it's breath of fresh air, and this unique way to look at MMORPG.

Content updates are promised every month, and FunCom delivered as promised the first update 1 month after launch.
  61. Aug 9, 2012
    The Secret World is finally, FINALLY something a little bit refreshing. There are LOTS of MMOs that are so similiar to each other, that despite being entirely "new" they bore me out of my mind during the first hour of gameplay... And in theory those are games for MONTHS! The Secret World has an uniqe character developement (it's selling point) which is simply quite simple and is both itemThe Secret World is finally, FINALLY something a little bit refreshing. There are LOTS of MMOs that are so similiar to each other, that despite being entirely "new" they bore me out of my mind during the first hour of gameplay... And in theory those are games for MONTHS! The Secret World has an uniqe character developement (it's selling point) which is simply quite simple and is both item and skill oriented. You need to carefully decide what to equip and you can shift between healer, dps or tank. You can switch quickly any moment or choose an average in all of those. Story is VERY entertaining and there are many quests and they never REQUIRE you to grind anything - unless you like to yourself. Expand
  62. Aug 9, 2012
    The most refreshing and daring MMO I've seen in years. The Secret World offers you something you have never seen before. A classless and innovative game that opens for thousands upon thousands of unique combinations. Be it clothing, skills, abilities and the option to change decks on the fly makes this game incredibly deep. With over 500 skills(!) you can either make it simple by selectingThe most refreshing and daring MMO I've seen in years. The Secret World offers you something you have never seen before. A classless and innovative game that opens for thousands upon thousands of unique combinations. Be it clothing, skills, abilities and the option to change decks on the fly makes this game incredibly deep. With over 500 skills(!) you can either make it simple by selecting one of the pre-made decks (that also unlocks some really awesome outfits to wear) or spend hours and hours during your gametime to tweak and customize your abilities to make a truly unique character.

The world is set in today's modern society with real-life locations like parts of London, New York, Soul and much more, but twists it with its horror theme making it very exciting (and sometimes utterly scary!) to explore and progress through. I find myself scouring every little hidden location, dungeon what have you in search of secrets and rewards that the game has to offer. And there's so much of it! The areas are huge, but I only wish it was more. Much more! I simply can't get enough of this.
    The beauty of this game is that no gear or skills defines your look in the traditional way. Everybody I see in-game has they're own different and distinct look. This is because of the stats system which increases your characters strength through talismans rather than gear which is in its own separate menu. Thus allowing every player to look whatever he/she wants to look like. And the choices of clothing are vast. Earn your clothes through mission unlocks, rewards from completing dungeons or maybe you want go shopping for clothes in London?

The missions are really something else. Aside from the traditional missions you've seen before there's also investigation/sabotage missions that really makes you think. Funcom has created loads of fictional but "real" websites that you have to visit by googling them via the in-game browser to look for clues to advance your mission tiers. It's really fun to actually use your head, to think and learn about stuff you probably never knew about before. Scary stuff like occultism or arts and famous painters come to life in these many missions that offers hours and hours of gameplay.

Take a chance with The Secret World and I promise you that you won't be disappointed. Without knowing it you have been waiting for a game like this. Trust me. It's worth it.
  63. Aug 9, 2012
    The... worst... game ive played. Bought it for $90. NOT WORTH IT!!! terrible aiming system. you cant run, move your view and shoot at the same time, unless you have three hands. you click something, and then need to push another button (1,2,3 etc) to attack, so you can't just click and have default attack. I may be wrong here, but I didn't give the game enough time to find out: it didn'tThe... worst... game ive played. Bought it for $90. NOT WORTH IT!!! terrible aiming system. you cant run, move your view and shoot at the same time, unless you have three hands. you click something, and then need to push another button (1,2,3 etc) to attack, so you can't just click and have default attack. I may be wrong here, but I didn't give the game enough time to find out: it didn't deserve it. You're told to find the "secret" illuminati. Who everyone, EVERYONE on the street happens to know and be talking about at that exact time. but even if you couldn't listen to them, or find the woeful "technology trail" there were still icons on the screen pointing to the desired location. On top of that, you have a lot of speech options, with no real reason to use any that aren't directly involved with your quest. Not to mention an over complicated skill set/system. Terrible. Totally... terrible. I'm surprised i even bothered writing a review of it. Expand
  64. Aug 8, 2012
    This game is trash just like most EA games. Does not feel polished. Gameplay is slow and doesn't seem responsive. I predict F2P in 6 months easy. Its just like any other MMO.
  65. Aug 7, 2012
    The Secret World is an engaging and entertaining MMO, with a strong focus on story telling, and they actually succeed very well with that. Every NPC in the game feels special, and you look forward to talking to them. The voice acting is brilliant, and every quest feels meaningful, although you don't really change anything in the world.
  66. Aug 7, 2012
    This game is not for the Hardcore-ADD-Crowd always-skipping-cutscenes and running through the game. If you used too or still play point and click adventure games and enjoy a little D&D then this is the perfect game for you.

I am appalled by the reviewers giving this game anything less than 8/10, i can understand that the game is not for everyone but in its genre it is at-least a 9/10 if not a 10/10.

I have played for about 170-180 hours and i still have not done everything in the game.

To the conspiracy theorist, yes this is my only review, i almost never do reviews, I am not a native English speaker and i have minor dyslexia so writing a review takes time for me.
    The only reason I created this review is too support a game that i Love, and I hope others would Enjoy as much as i do.
  67. Aug 6, 2012
    My first MMO was world of warcraft. I played it to much for the first 2 years, then on and off for many years to come. Recently I have been playing EVE online- it's a nice change of pace from feeling one has to log on everyday. The Secret World however has awakened the gamer within this 30+ old gamer. I want to play all the time. Though work and family has to come first. Therefor I amMy first MMO was world of warcraft. I played it to much for the first 2 years, then on and off for many years to come. Recently I have been playing EVE online- it's a nice change of pace from feeling one has to log on everyday. The Secret World however has awakened the gamer within this 30+ old gamer. I want to play all the time. Though work and family has to come first. Therefor I am happy to say that TSW does not demand to much of a commitment. I would say it appeals to casual and hardcore gamers all over the world. Expand
  68. Aug 5, 2012
    One of the most unique and ingaging mmorpg's out there that actually thought outside the copy+paste mmo genre..If you like mysteries, myths , and creepy monster designs; you're in for a treat!
  69. Aug 5, 2012
    I've been an avid gamer pretty much all my life; i started playing Dr Mario with my grandmother on her NES when I was little. Unfortunately, by the time I had a computer that was good enough to run a MMO WOW had come out. I was never really a fan. TSW is the first MMO to come out since that I've actually gotten excited about. I was even willing to break my "I don't pay monthly fees forI've been an avid gamer pretty much all my life; i started playing Dr Mario with my grandmother on her NES when I was little. Unfortunately, by the time I had a computer that was good enough to run a MMO WOW had come out. I was never really a fan. TSW is the first MMO to come out since that I've actually gotten excited about. I was even willing to break my "I don't pay monthly fees for video games" rule for it. It has a marvelous and fantastical story, innovative gameplay, and just the best community I've ever encountered in a game. Expand
  70. Aug 4, 2012
    The game improves on the Theme Park model in several ways and I find the free form skill structure in the place of traditional levels and classes refreshing. However, there isn't a lot outside of that which is truly innovative. The combat and is pretty bland in comparison to Funcom's other MMO Age of Conan and the quest structure is still a pretty standard "Kill 10 Rats" despite someThe game improves on the Theme Park model in several ways and I find the free form skill structure in the place of traditional levels and classes refreshing. However, there isn't a lot outside of that which is truly innovative. The combat and is pretty bland in comparison to Funcom's other MMO Age of Conan and the quest structure is still a pretty standard "Kill 10 Rats" despite some minor improvements on the model save for Espionage and Investigation type missions where you'll spend a good deal of your time using the in game web browser to do research in order to complete some of these missions which is something I found quite tedious and unfun at times.

TSW is certainly not a bad game but not great either.
  71. Aug 4, 2012
    I am enjoying this game more than expected! For the first time I do think about a game after the computer is shut down. Last time this happened was when I played Ultima Online and Asheron's Call
  72. Aug 3, 2012
    Though the setting is new, the aesthetics are great, and there are SOME interesting ideas like the Skill Wheel - as usual for Funcom the execution doesn't live up to the expectations. Investigation Missions aren't enough to save this game from clunky combat and animations, tacked-on gear-based PvP, repetitive content, and the same "end-game" model of instanced PvP and dungeons we've seenThough the setting is new, the aesthetics are great, and there are SOME interesting ideas like the Skill Wheel - as usual for Funcom the execution doesn't live up to the expectations. Investigation Missions aren't enough to save this game from clunky combat and animations, tacked-on gear-based PvP, repetitive content, and the same "end-game" model of instanced PvP and dungeons we've seen since 2004. Expand
  73. Aug 3, 2012
    I just hate the fantasy settings: elfs, orcs, swords, spells.... that kind of crazy stuff so the 99% of MMORPGS on the market bored me to death.
    Then, like a flash of light in an endless night, "The Secret World" hit the market and I happily bought it and played it since launch: immersive and clever quests, 3 faction pvp and good graphics are the highlight of this gem of a MMORPG. Very innovative and modern/mature themed MMO: it's like the Holy Grail for an old gamer like me. It's really money well spent. GO TSW !!!
  74. Aug 2, 2012
    This game is nearly perfect. There are a few bugs, most MMOs have a fair amount especially right after launch. Absolutely wonderful story, atmosphere, and gameplay. Combat is great imo.

PvP could use some work, but all in all I am VERY pleased with this game and I would and have been recommending it to all my friends.
  75. Aug 2, 2012
    Still rough around the edges after several patches. Core gameplay "mostly" works, as several bugged quests reportedly are fixed. Graphics bugs still are present, with problems such as the skill UI reverting to basic descriptions and random artifacts on-screen. The new auction system is buggy. Questing in some cases is still not multi-user friendly, which seems like it would be anStill rough around the edges after several patches. Core gameplay "mostly" works, as several bugged quests reportedly are fixed. Graphics bugs still are present, with problems such as the skill UI reverting to basic descriptions and random artifacts on-screen. The new auction system is buggy. Questing in some cases is still not multi-user friendly, which seems like it would be an obvious design consideration.

The 500ish skills is somewhat misleading, as many are duplicates or just plain worthless. Blaze seems to be the most popular DPS build, which may be heading for nerfing. PvP is mostly a bad joke. Combat is highly repetitive, build resources and use finishers, with no auto-attack.

Puzzles can be extremely difficult, but there are many walkthroughs now available for stuck players. Overall, if you can deal with the bugs, bad design decisions, and other nuisances, the game has some entertainment value at least temporarily.
  76. Aug 2, 2012
    The best mmo I have played in years, or possibly ever. It seems you will either love or hate the game when I see on the scores given. I was very pleasantly surprised by the game after not being convinced by the beta weekends. It seems like a lot of the people that didn't like the game based their review on the beta weekends and not the actual released game so those reviews can beThe best mmo I have played in years, or possibly ever. It seems you will either love or hate the game when I see on the scores given. I was very pleasantly surprised by the game after not being convinced by the beta weekends. It seems like a lot of the people that didn't like the game based their review on the beta weekends and not the actual released game so those reviews can be misleading. The game is easily worth the price, even if you just play it for a month, and with regular content updates and tweaks it can be worth staying subscribed even longer. One of the best things about the game is the huge potential for future content, and the game will probably only get better when new features and content is added. Expand
  77. Aug 2, 2012
    Disclaimer: People WILL either HATE or LOVE this game(With capital characters intended). Please don't let your opinion become guided by those of others, give it a try before giving your final personal conclusion.

The secret world is one of the few(if not the only) MMO's that sucked me into it, it has the best story of any MMO I have seen this far. True, there are some issues but the friendly customer support is more than happy to assist. I absolutely love the way that the missions are designed, they require you to actually think or try to learn you something. The world is designed to make sure that there is always something to do, something to explore and something new to learn regarding the story. If you love to "think" and enjoy a good story, the game is definitely worth a try. The Secret World is clearly a different than the avarage MMO.
  78. X0R
    Aug 1, 2012
    This is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issuesThis is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issues that I expect a new MMO launch to have, but none ever frustrate me or make me want to quit - I need to take a week off from work to soak it up. Expand
  79. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm impressed.

The game plays well, the quests are a nice blend of dead simple smaller tasks all the way up to the large scale mind boggling hard ones. I just love the way they blend into the "real world" with small details. (E.g. if you find an URL on equipment or in a computer log, you can in all the cases I've tried it just open a real world browser in game and type in that URL to go to an actual website. [minor spoiler]In some cases you might even have to do it to research the problem at hand.[/minor spoiler])

The point deducted comes from bugs, primarily in aggro from mobs, but also in some missions which does not play out the way there are supposed to do. But with the kind of attention the GMs are giving the player in game, problems are mostly sorted within minutes. (All my petitions has been handled within 30 minutes.)

Get the bugs sorted, and this thing will shine as the gem it really is.
  80. Aug 1, 2012
    I'll be short and to the point.
    Game is an Experience. Like that, from a capital letter.
    It is a trip that will take you to places that will Blow. Your. Mind. It being an MMORPG makes it that much better, but the core of the game is in the fact that it promises to show you the things that will make you stare at your screen with your jaw dropped to the table. And it delivers 100%.
    I'll be short and to the point.
    Game is an Experience. Like that, from a capital letter.
    It is a trip that will take you to places that will Blow. Your. Mind.

Ignore the pre-paid magazine/website reviews. Get it, play it, let it surprise you in a way that probably no other game did.
  81. Aug 1, 2012
    The most immersive MMO I've ever played. The attention of detail put into even the smalles things in this diverse universe is astonishing. The skill & combat system is complex but not complicated, it allows quick switches between different playstyles (tank, DPS, healer, melee, ranged, etc.) and quite variable builds.
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining immersion and self-referencing on a meta-level.

As everyone knows Funcom's support has managed to build up some bad rap over the years. Apparently they finally managed to get it together. GMs respond within minutes to your requests with personal messages (no automated BS).
    With the first content update after only a month of release, it seems as if they can hold up to their promises of monthly free content updates that keep the universe dynamic and interesting.
  82. Jul 31, 2012
    This is an MMO for MMO fans. It is a breath of fresh air in a genre still unable to shake off the dominant MMO model pioneered by Everquest in 1999. The story is excellent and engaging and is worth the price of admission alone. While character advancement is in essence the same concept as all the other EQ clones, it takes a free-form approach by taking out artificial limitations such asThis is an MMO for MMO fans. It is a breath of fresh air in a genre still unable to shake off the dominant MMO model pioneered by Everquest in 1999. The story is excellent and engaging and is worth the price of admission alone. While character advancement is in essence the same concept as all the other EQ clones, it takes a free-form approach by taking out artificial limitations such as character level and class, to let you progress your character in the way that you want. It is a deep, complex and rewarding system, and it works. If you enjoy questing or want to enjoy questing, this game will blow you away. If you enjoy "theory-crafting" and min/maxing you character this game will floor you with its complexity and freedom. Expand
  83. Jul 31, 2012
    This game set new standards in MMOs with regards to storytelling and questing. A unique and interesting story based on modern age mixed with fantasy elements plays out exceptionally well. The story and it's characters are very well done, and I liked the tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in as well. Voice over is used extensively, and is high quality throughout which adds to the immersion. ThisThis game set new standards in MMOs with regards to storytelling and questing. A unique and interesting story based on modern age mixed with fantasy elements plays out exceptionally well. The story and it's characters are very well done, and I liked the tongue-in-cheek humor mixed in as well. Voice over is used extensively, and is high quality throughout which adds to the immersion. This is done even better than in SWTOR in my opinion, although in TSW it's not been hyped as aggressively.

The quests (or missions in TSW terms) bring a bunch of fresh ideas to MMOs, and many times during your missions it really feels like you are playing a very good adventure or puzzle game instead of the stereotypical kill x mobs or gather y resources found in most MMOs. Sabotage missions have you sneak around mobs and avoid traps instead of killing. In investigation missions you uncover information about the game world by doing research and solving puzzles.

The game is not perfect: there is a steeper than normal learning curve for MMO, mainly due to lack of tutorials and a bit confusing skill system, at least to the casual player. Some of the missions are much harder than many current MMOs offer. But the lack of hand-holding and the flexibility of the skill system do reward players who wish to explore and learn things by themselves. I would be one of them!

All in all, an excellent MMO for a more adult audience that sets itself apart from the traditional constraints of the genre.
  84. Jul 31, 2012
    Best MMO ever! Will blast every other game away for years - Finally something for brains! Players and critics that rate this lower than Diablo III and WOW are hereby selfnamed NO-BRAINERS!
  85. Jul 31, 2012
    Much like StarWars: the old republic the game is more like singleplayer with benefits than a real MMO. With all the problems. The story missions are really nice for an MMO, but i wondered regularly how great the experience could have been if the developers had focused purely on this part in a standard singleplayer rpg. The MMO part on the other hand feels shallow and dilutes the story withMuch like StarWars: the old republic the game is more like singleplayer with benefits than a real MMO. With all the problems. The story missions are really nice for an MMO, but i wondered regularly how great the experience could have been if the developers had focused purely on this part in a standard singleplayer rpg. The MMO part on the other hand feels shallow and dilutes the story with unnerving grind in order to be ready for the next region. In the end, the games neither real fun as a story driven experience nor as a progress driven MMO. Two halves don´t always make a whole. Expand
  86. Jul 30, 2012
    Equal parts enjoyable and frustrating, but at the end of the day the questing and combat system made me move on.

The first few hours of the Secret World are so distinct from anything else I've played in the MMORPG world that it kept my attention for a while. Unfortunately, the punishing combat system, frustrating questing and limited gear options lost my interest over time. The game

The game itself is not as open ended or "level-less" as advertised. You will follow quest chains that send you across zones, and while you do have a diverse amount of options for what weapons you invest in, the abilities are still broken down into the traditional MMO categories (tanking, damage, healing, CC and hybrid). I created three characters and did not feel I developed a competent character until my third. While you are "free" to invest in anything, if you choose not to focus on a particular skill set early on you will find it difficult to push past your current zone. So really, at least initially, you need to pick a skill set and stay with it, or you will be forced to redo quests gaining back experience to compensate for your lack of focus. This is made easier by having "decks" which you can choose from, which provide general (although not necessarily the best for early leveling) guidelines.

The quests are intriguing, especially initially. The voice acting is fine, the writing is fine, no real complaints there. The quests can be tricky and the puzzles will often force you to use Google, unless you want to punish yourself for hours attempting to figure it out. They provide an in game browser for such purposes.

The instances are very linear, involve little trash, and can be cleared relatively quickly. I had a few wipes here and there, but usually could clear the instances in under half an hour. They were enjoyable the first time through, but became increasingly repetitive with each subsequent run through. There was nothing really fun or dynamic about them, but nothing fundamentally flawed either.

As for PvP, I did not try it, which is odd since I almost always play games for PvP over anything else. This is a testament to the interesting world created in TSW.

All that said, I did not continue my subscription and I don't see myself playing TSW any longer, and here is why:

The combat is not very fun to me. As you progress through zones, even if you chose to focus on a deck, you're likely to find yourself having to intently focus on every battle or risk death. I don't mind a challenge, but TSW makes it frustrating, not challenging. This is coupled with the frustration of the questing system, which while narrated well, has mechanics that require mundane and repetitious tasks. So, you have mobs that can take a good thirty seconds or more to kill and involve either significant kiting or downtime between fights, and quests that will send you across half the map, with hundreds of said enemies, all so you can grab something. You're basically faced with running and hoping nothing catches you, or investing a tremendous amount of time into fighting everything. Once you get there, even if you turn in the quest via the mobile turn-in, you will have to make the run back to get the rest of the quest givers' tasks.

Also, several quests are broken. I will say that Funcom GM's have been terrific about responding and fixing problems, but they are broken nonetheless. It ruins the immersion and frankly I don't like having to petition a GM multiple times to complete a zones quests, especially since there are so few of them in a zone. While there is an open ended style to the investment of skill points, the skills themselves are starkly similar to one another and share much of the same mechanics. This makes the variety of abilities feel less diverse. Granted there are differences between each tree, but they are not distinct ability sets so much as part of a mold that is reused across all the skills. The voice acting is done well, but I do feel they used the same three actors to voice each character. That does not diminish their acting ability, but when the Templar quest giver voices are the same as the Dragon quest giver voices, it once again ruins the immersion. Also, while the story aspect is well done, I can see it becoming repetitive, especially if you plan on playing the game for months or years. Overall, TSW is a fun diversion for a couple weeks, but the ultimate failure by Funcom is that while they made an interesting world paired with intriguing game mechanics, the game does not remain fun past the first few zones. Unnecessarily tedious combat scaling and poorly designed quests sucked the fun out of it for me, and I eventually lost interest.
  87. Jul 29, 2012
    Sigh. The quest design is excellent, voice acting is a nice touch (but not always good), and the premise of the game is very unique. It's just not a good MMO. Every "class" feels like the same thing, making combat and progression kinda boring after a bit. The weapon system doesn't actually give as much freedom as you'd expect - it just lets you slightly change things up. There are threeSigh. The quest design is excellent, voice acting is a nice touch (but not always good), and the premise of the game is very unique. It's just not a good MMO. Every "class" feels like the same thing, making combat and progression kinda boring after a bit. The weapon system doesn't actually give as much freedom as you'd expect - it just lets you slightly change things up. There are three types of "classes" and three types of gear - you can mix and match for more of a soloing or PvP build or go straight up a DPS tree for example for instances, with only DPS gear. The only saving grace is the great quest design - other MMO's should take note. Unfortunately, it's not a great single-player game either - I'd rather play a great single-player game. I didn't experience that many bugs so I can't speak there - it ran okay, but definitely needs a decent machine to run well. PvP cues were a tad long for the first month of the game, and the PvP, well, there's not much of a point to it. The sound (not the music which was nice) drove me a bit nuts too..... After many hours of playing I just felt it wasn't worth it - I'd rather spend my gaming time playing something better. Kudos to the quest designers though - really cool stuff there. Expand
  88. Jul 28, 2012
    Starts out great, nice world, investigation missions are really interesting, not your, 13 a dozen typical MMO-quests, kill this, fetch that boring kinda stuff. After a while though, it becomes more and more same ole same ole. The skill wheel offers a lot of flexibility, but overall longevity is real concern with a P2P model. Still really good game for at least a while. It will see strongStarts out great, nice world, investigation missions are really interesting, not your, 13 a dozen typical MMO-quests, kill this, fetch that boring kinda stuff. After a while though, it becomes more and more same ole same ole. The skill wheel offers a lot of flexibility, but overall longevity is real concern with a P2P model. Still really good game for at least a while. It will see strong competition next month from a certain Buy To Play game that is, fortunately for TSW, situated in a Fantasy setting.
    So many 10 's are being given by new accounts. The User Rating is probably a bit too high to be close to what it really is, but whatever.
  89. Jul 27, 2012
    This game was quite the surprise for me. First of this is a game by Funcom, which doesn
  90. Jul 27, 2012
    This is a lifetime happening. The secret World made me start playing pc game again. 5 years since I ve played. This is a "blockbuster" for sure. Ive bought extra gear and 3 mth subscription. Im gonna play for years is my instant opinion. Im in the thirties with kids and really doesnt have time for such a great game;-). Salute Funcom!
  91. Jul 27, 2012
    The game doesn't do anything well and copied many bad ideas of past MMOs. The only positive feature is the modern day setting but because it is cosmetic it adds no value to game play. Poor features include: 1) combat animations and abilities need a massive overhaul because combat is boring and the abilities are boring and not balanced well against one another. 2) Player-versus-player (PvP)The game doesn't do anything well and copied many bad ideas of past MMOs. The only positive feature is the modern day setting but because it is cosmetic it adds no value to game play. Poor features include: 1) combat animations and abilities need a massive overhaul because combat is boring and the abilities are boring and not balanced well against one another. 2) Player-versus-player (PvP) needs to be redone, factions have massive population imbalances but PvP is ignored by players due to such poor PvP mini games and also my first point. 3) The story needs a lot of work as whomever wrote the cut-scenes just copied everything from someplace else, TV, movies, books, internet meme, etc. hire a writer. The story often has nothing to do with the quest objectives either. 4) BUGz of the UI, quests, chat, and other random annoyances that are far more common than in other MMOs. 5) Small for an MMO, only 8 combat areas and only 3 regions so geographic and monster diversity is small. 6) To much emphasis on the single player experience, are fewer group instances than recent MMOs and much less group content outside of the instances. This MMO is going to need so much work to salvage and even then it may end up average, I have doubts as to how much post release work will be put into the game. More content was promised but much of the work was done before release. The overhauls to game systems such as combat, PvP, and social features or raid areas must come in a timely fashion. Expand
  92. Jul 26, 2012
    Ignore the early reviews that are rating it on a few small issues. This game is getting fairly large content updates on a monthly basis and within six months all these issues should be worked out. The second update is bringing raids and they've already announced two entire new zones being added in. The game will only get better and more stacked with content.
  93. Jul 26, 2012
    My second review...

...still think this game is great, but need much better sound i.e. when you upgrade your guns a new sound to go with these would make if feel like you had actually "levelled up". Same gun noises, just different graphics makes it feel rather cheap. Combat is indeed rather repetitive, circle strafing around target with the odd dodge thrown in. BUT great
    My second review...

BUT great atmosphere, enthralling plot and excellent investigation missions.

Sabotage missions are a waste of time to be fair though as avoiding detection involves the same device as avoiding aggroing a mob, just keep a certain distance from people. They can be looking right at you, but if you are 1mm away from their aggro zone they wont "see" you.

There are many skills, but many are obviously fillers and lack any real use.

Sorry for the negatives, still a great game though,
  94. Jul 26, 2012
    Finally a game made for people that can't grind mobs or raid 24/7. The quests are awesome and way different then other games. It feels like singleplayer quality all over the zones. Best part is you can repeat em if you want to play with a lower level friend. Instances are made without a million trash mobs so you can just focus on the good boss fights. I admit TSW has its error and mostlyFinally a game made for people that can't grind mobs or raid 24/7. The quests are awesome and way different then other games. It feels like singleplayer quality all over the zones. Best part is you can repeat em if you want to play with a lower level friend. Instances are made without a million trash mobs so you can just focus on the good boss fights. I admit TSW has its error and mostly in the pvp section. Fusang is good fun the first few days then its just about getting the marks and leaving asap. Kinda like how SWTOR had the same problem in Illum. Hopefully they will fix this soon so there is a reason to pvp. This game also had one of the smoothest launches I have seen with their cloud server setup. You can play with everyone even if they are on different servers. Expand
  95. Jul 24, 2012
    I've played many a PC game over a long time and quite a few MMOs. This by far my favourite MMO. Sure the toon creation could do with more options and PVP has its issues but otherwise it is a fun flavour filled game. Try it.
  96. Jul 23, 2012
    Amazing 'new' take on mmo genere. 'New' as it takes some of the old non-level character building system which all recent mmos mesmerised in WoW success seem to forgot... and bring back to the table along no need for 'respecs' or alt grinding. First mmo which managed to actually introduced old school style quests which take more time to figure out how than repeatedly do aka 'grind' your wayAmazing 'new' take on mmo genere. 'New' as it takes some of the old non-level character building system which all recent mmos mesmerised in WoW success seem to forgot... and bring back to the table along no need for 'respecs' or alt grinding. First mmo which managed to actually introduced old school style quests which take more time to figure out how than repeatedly do aka 'grind' your way through. Sure You can cheese your way through content by just looking up solutions to puzzles but this game does its fair share of changing such 'grind through and get to max-level' attitude. Excellent work. Expand
  97. Jul 23, 2012
    Why Metacritic haven't listed yet the reviews where TSW got a very good mark like MMORPG (9.5),
    JeuxVideo.com (8), Micromania (8) or PC Authority (8.3)??
  98. Jul 22, 2012
    I did not know how I would feel about this game. I wasnt even planning on buying it, but I to a shot and was very happy, I have been playing SWTOR (Star Wars The Old Republic) but found the story a little boring. The Secret World has a amazing story, and fresh new ideas. Yes with every new mmo there is a few problems, but they will for sure works those out.
  99. Jul 21, 2012
    If I could sum up the game in one word it would be "cheap". The game looks and plays like a indie project that didn't have the resources to make a decent quality game. It has a good story and the quests are fun at times, but it also has plenty of bugs and glitches which ruin the immersion of the game.

Don't be be fooled by all the spamming user reviews that give this game a 10 out of 10. It's just some lame kid hired by FunCom to inflate the meta scores of this game. They are desperate at this point because they know everyone that pre-ordered this game are incredibly disappointed.

By the end of summer, this game will be the The Lonely World.
  100. Jul 21, 2012
    Simply superb game that I am really happy to play! Lifer here! :) Recommended for both casual and hardcore players. Solve puzzles, enjoy deep and really fun quests, especially the investigation missions that will send you searching for ansvers in totally new ways. Especially recommended for mmo veterans that I am sure will love this game!

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.