The Secret World PC

8.2

1. Jul 18, 2016
    I'll start by saying this game is underrated. It's a spectacularly well done game that you should definitely try if you like either RPG's, or MMORPG's. It has a really epic, mature narrative where you play a character in the modern-day joining a secret society and exploring the urban legends and myths of the world through out history from ancient to present. The storytelling, the voiceI'll start by saying this game is underrated. It's a spectacularly well done game that you should definitely try if you like either RPG's, or MMORPG's. It has a really epic, mature narrative where you play a character in the modern-day joining a secret society and exploring the urban legends and myths of the world through out history from ancient to present. The storytelling, the voice acting, and overall presentation is phenomenal and holds up to what we've seen from other RPG's since it's release almost 4 years ago. The game also holds up graphically, they keep the graphical fidelity up to par with newer titles (and honestly in many cases better). The world is huge, it encourages non-linear exploration behind every nook, cranny, corner, alleyway, there's something to be discovered that can lead you on a huge variety of sub-plots all with their own epic narratives. They've updated the combat from back when I played it in beta, it's now more action oriented with dodging and quick skill reaction. The progression is some of the deepest I have seen in an MMO, and even many modern RPG's, allowing you to build and customize your character to play exactly how you want, with a huge variety of weapon and skill types you can mix, and match to your hearts content. This is a very atmospheric game, so I would recommend playing it with the sound settings for ambiance, and music maxed out, you will go on many missions that can be downright creepy and befitting of the horror genre. When I think of comparisons it's hard to come up with one in the gaming-sphere, as The Secret World is truly unique, and the closest thing I can think of is if you mixed Fallout 4 with Life Is Strange. If you've ever seen the tv show's "Supernatural", "Grim", or "Sanctuary" the game can remind me of those as well.

If you're like me, and are there feeling like the games on the market, and the RPG, or MMO genres are at a stale point, you should definitely try this game, you will be surprised, and you will love it.
  2. Jul 8, 2016
    I do not know how the game was in the early games. I am just beginning my journey.
    Yes, that's what it is all about: Exploring. Every single detail is thrilling. I find it highly impressive and of all the MMOs I've seen, the most original, being the least copy-cat to WoW (which in turn stole from Everquest and so on)
    To details: You choose your role ingame, so you enter as a generic
    To details: You choose your role ingame, so you enter as a generic character. So the three-slot-limit (across ALL servers) shouldn't hurt. But as there are three distinctive factions with differing story lines, and a great way of visually customizing your char I guess it will hurt.
    To this point it feels very much like a solo game. Although exploring the world together should be even more fun.
    Character build seems complex though I am not very much into that now.
    Great voice acting with every even slightly important NSC help creating an awsome atmosphere
    Bottomline is, I am awfully impressed and I have to go back to the game right now :)
  3. Apr 18, 2016
    Best story telling in a whole MMO industry. Its most of single player games as well. Mature and complicated characters and dialogs. The world is amazing lot classical horror refence from Love Craft, Clive Barker etc..
    The TRON disc fighting system is difficult for the new comers but get pretty handy and flexiblefor veterans.
  4. Apr 12, 2016
    I heard about TSW a few times but not enough to get me interested. Then I finally decided to give it a try because well, there weren't any "better" options I thought. Turns out, this is the best MMO I've ever played, and I've been playing MMO's since Everquest, WoW and such. So happy that I decided to give it a try.
  5. Feb 16, 2016
    HELPING THE UNDECIDED = DEICDE
    --Take 5 seconds and click my name for proof that I review ALL games I play. pos & neg.
    ---I'm BRAND NEW to PC GAMING(again) after a 8 year hiatus. -Saw this on Steam Sale for $12 and the story setting of Cryptozoological,paranormal,divine, illumintai,Templars & Dragon(evil bad faction) --This idea had me excited and I dove in without knowing what to
    HELPING THE UNDECIDED = DEICDE
    ---I'm BRAND NEW to PC GAMING(again) after a 8 year hiatus.

illumintai,Templars & Dragon(evil bad faction)
    --This idea had me excited and I dove in without knowing what to expect..
    3 days later(today) I paid the $15 monthly to be a member because I expect to play it ALOT this month..
    -I played all 3 sessions SOLO so far.
    -I choose my faction & everything on my own as the game is VERY noob friendly..
    -I leveled quite quickly and I finally hit enemies that killed me. some sea monster baddies..
    --You pick TWO powers out of 9.
    3 guns,3 melee,3 magical
    I went with Shotgun & Electricity magic(forget name of magic)
    ---I spent a hour testing ALL the powers and weapons. as the arean was set up perfect for testing.
    they have the picture of said weapon, you click it & now its equipped. no add-dropping or equipping..all auto..awesome!!!
    --Almost picked Handguns(two pistols) and almost selected sword & blood magic & healer magic...
    --Faction--I selected the illuminati...
    each faction has a sweet intro video explaining what they are. watch them b4 you decide=I DID AND THE ILLUMINATI seem to be the A-Moral-out for self NEUTRAL faction...
    Knights Templar is the heroic good guys & the other "Dragon" are chaotic evil.. I went Neutral..
    --and I suspect the 1st missions are for every class & faction. stop zombies in some middle America Twin Peaks type of middle American suburbia town with a 1% minority %. just a observation of town type. probably coulda worded that better(don't be offended by it)

-----Combat--I felt IN-CONTROL. All other MMO's I feel nervous in early game. but I had confidence early..
    --Graphics-pretty good BUT not gonna make any magazines under graphics..i have every setting on MAX.
    my PC is brand new but middle tier with a 750 card & i5 with 8gb ram. SO most people can enjoy jacked settings if I can..i suffered -0- lag. I thought id have to turn off something or lower resolution but I didn't..

--Funfactor & last words--I found myself thinking of The Secret World..i was mad because I wanted to think about other games but whatevs.. I have Metal Gear & Jedi Starfighter going on PS4 & Wasteland going on XBOX1 but those game have taken the backseat..i mention this because only a fun good game can have us thinking bout it while we are away.....

I bought my PC for StarWars The Old Republic because I'm a SW fan who read books and I played StarWars Galaxies MMO. that was actually my last good PC. so I am supposed to be playing The Old Republic. I subscribed to that and played 1 session & liked it ALOT. yes I paid the $15..wish id waited...I like the game,,but The Secret World has got me...whatevs... and that's mmy honest review so far...
    ---I cant say more cause this is a NOOB review..as all reviews should be.. hope someone on the fence goes for it.....
  6. Nov 30, 2015
    One of the best mature games out there,and hands down one of best MMO a ever played.
    I'm solving mysteries in my sleep! Can't get enough of this game!
  7. Nov 10, 2015
    Like others have mentioned, this game is outstanding.

I don't like MMOs. It is my general opinion they are broken. They aren't REALLY multiplayer. In that regard, this one makes no difference. You might be able to team up and take a raid, but any story bits will never be about you all as a group. They only are about you as an individual. But, that is where this game shines. You are
    Like others have mentioned, this game is outstanding.

But, that is where this game shines. You are intertwined in outstanding atmosphere and engrossing writing. Being a part of that, even if it is only kind of with friends, is absolutely the best part of the game. I WANT to see every quest, every twist, every turn. Every creepy detail strewn about this beautifully created world.

And are you big? Are you bad? There is always something mysterious and deadly that is larger and bigger. It feels fantastic. And I need to end on that note and play just a little more.

It feels fantastic.
  8. Nov 2, 2015
    Gave this MMO a few months chance based on all the positive feedback, but can't quite see why some people are raving about this game.
    It's not a particularly impressive MMO, too much reading/puzzling, and not enough action.
    Graphics are also sketchy in some parts, as are the sound quality. Decent story, I admit, but not quite enough to make this MMO work. Perhaps it should have been a
    Graphics are also sketchy in some parts, as are the sound quality.
    Decent story, I admit, but not quite enough to make this MMO work. Perhaps it should have been a single player game instead?
  9. Oct 25, 2015
    Don't play this game for the combat , nor the PVP , nor the raids/dungeons etc.
    Play this game for the missions/quests ... You'll never feel the same about questing in MMO games afterwords.

If you consider yourself a true MMO player , the experience provided by TSW is not something you want to miss.
  10. Sep 4, 2015
    The most interesting game out there, very customizable class system which is my favorite part. The graphics are amazing for a MMO. The story is really good.
  11. Jun 21, 2015
    TL;DR 50/50 Secret World tries something new in the MMo genre and I don't think it works too well. As always, don't trust all the '10' fake reviews. I highly advise if your looking into getting a new MMo and you stumble upon this game, and this review then please, do plenty of research first before you buy into this game, and don't get any version other than the ultimate edition -TL;DR 50/50 Secret World tries something new in the MMo genre and I don't think it works too well. As always, don't trust all the '10' fake reviews. I highly advise if your looking into getting a new MMo and you stumble upon this game, and this review then please, do plenty of research first before you buy into this game, and don't get any version other than the ultimate edition - preferably on a good steam sale.

Its an MMo you're basically going to love it, or truely hate it. My biggest problems with Secret World is that it tries something different from the traditional MMo genre and honestly, it just really doesn't work to well. So many quests are downright stupid, the player has to constantly press (B) to open up the in-game web browser and actually search for hints and solutions to quests because most just don't offer you any information at all - so that browser becomes a huge crutch through-out the entire experience. I found very few of the usual cookie cutter kill X amount of mobs, or typical fetch quests that most MMos have - The problem that secret world has, is trying something new other than the cookie cutter, and I think for most people - it doesn't make it fun. Far too many quests which try to make the player actually think, or solve complex puzzles - (one puzzle actually requires you to read the bible in RL ~ luckily the web browser can pretty much give you all the information you need to skip that)

These issues basically create a massively steep learning curve thats exceptionally harsh without doing plenty of research first, such as what build your doing to make - any DLC your going to buy into ~ how to craft, how to allocate your skill points. Everything isn't very new player/newb friendly.

I personally had graphical issues too, many quests especially stealth missions are so poor that most are trial and error, or again - look up that online guide how to do it. The first few stealth missions, I died constantly due to near invisible laser tripwires - seems to be an issue with nvidia cards, also the game constantly crashes each time I exit the game.

It seems the developer also has taken a nickel and diming approach to the so-called free to play method, the item store is full of good stuff...of course if you want to pay for it, the problem here are the issue packs which are essentially the expansions, if you really want to invest time and effort into this game, then the ultimate edition is the only way to go unless you want to spend a small fortune later. Also worth mentioning is if you buy the individual packs on steam, you only get the regular versions, so if you actually wanted the cool items, costumes etc - that would cost you "double" the money. Example, I purchased the Tokyo DLC and I originally assumed that would come with the school uniform, title and gadgets but no, a 1620 point ($15) extra cost was needed on top of the $15 cost for the DLC, making the actual cost of the DLC $30 for one DLC... Each issue has its own dedicated 'collectors edition' which has all the cool items and obviously a huge price tag to match.
  12. May 29, 2015
    Here it is 2015 and I am still playing Secret World. The character development is rich and flexible. The style is unique and captures a modern horror genre well. Game play is great. PvP is fun. Endgame play in nightmare dungeons, scenarios and Tokyo is great. The only reason I did not give the game a "10" score are some optimization and technical issues that have been a challenge forHere it is 2015 and I am still playing Secret World. The character development is rich and flexible. The style is unique and captures a modern horror genre well. Game play is great. PvP is fun. Endgame play in nightmare dungeons, scenarios and Tokyo is great. The only reason I did not give the game a "10" score are some optimization and technical issues that have been a challenge for Funcom since launch. Regardless, the gameplay is just a blast! TSW is still a great game years later. Expand
  13. May 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The secret word(tsw) has some good points-- atmosphere, original setting, story, and an interesting skill system. The story is especially engaging.

However, Funcompetence is in place. TSW has bugs that will never be resolved, rough edges, BS un-fun quests, and the need to stop and grind to make progress in the story. Also, the game doesn't have enough new players to make it easy to find groups for new players who don't bring their own friends.

If you are looking for a non-fantasy MMO with good story that you don't mind playing solo, then TSW may be for you
  14. May 17, 2015
    This game had such great potential, but the designers decided to make the focus clickies, rather than actually deepening the mechanics. What started out as a strong MMO petered out to a mediocre MMO with shoddy cheap attempts at progression. Look elsewhere for a deep engrossing MMO, at least if you plan on going beyond Issue 8, because everything after 9 is focused on a very specific buildThis game had such great potential, but the designers decided to make the focus clickies, rather than actually deepening the mechanics. What started out as a strong MMO petered out to a mediocre MMO with shoddy cheap attempts at progression. Look elsewhere for a deep engrossing MMO, at least if you plan on going beyond Issue 8, because everything after 9 is focused on a very specific build to progress. Expand
  15. May 12, 2015
    The Secret World was one of those games that I was going to skip considering when it first came out, it came with a Pay Monthly system. But then I saw it was going to Buy to play and I then bought it. The missions are one of the most Unique in MMO's considering you have to use your brain and not like most MMO's which ask to collect X amount of items and Kill X amount of Creatures. It is aThe Secret World was one of those games that I was going to skip considering when it first came out, it came with a Pay Monthly system. But then I saw it was going to Buy to play and I then bought it. The missions are one of the most Unique in MMO's considering you have to use your brain and not like most MMO's which ask to collect X amount of items and Kill X amount of Creatures. It is a great game, the combat can get a little repetitive but the Missions certainly are worth it. If you are not convinced then just wait for a sale as it will be surely worth it then. Expand
  16. May 6, 2015
    It's easy to write this off as Funcom's third flop in sequence but they gave this one 110% in effort. There's a lot of heart and soul in this game. So why does virtually nobody play it? My theory is that it is too weird and niche for its own good. There's no levels, no classes and people who load this up for the first time may be lost in a sea of confusion as to what's going on. There's noIt's easy to write this off as Funcom's third flop in sequence but they gave this one 110% in effort. There's a lot of heart and soul in this game. So why does virtually nobody play it? My theory is that it is too weird and niche for its own good. There's no levels, no classes and people who load this up for the first time may be lost in a sea of confusion as to what's going on. There's no comfort zone here. Beyond that initial puzzlement, it's a rewarding and challenging game, but you have to get there.

It's a semi-fully voiced (your character is silent), action-oriented MMO with some fairly decent graphics but the combat animations - especially from the zombies - do look awful though. That's one minus, but overall, the monsters look and animate well. Just not the zombies. Their running and fighting animations are comically farcical.

The Secret World tries so hard to be hip, cool and out there, overloaded with pop culture and internet-speak references, it's beyond belief. You'll either laugh or facepalm at all the talk, maybe both.

But if you do buy this and give it a shot, persevere with it. Experiment with the builds, try new things. Just don't expect too much social interaction. Despite all those people camped at the Agartha zone-in, you'll be playing this game 99% by yourself unless you really try hard to group with someone. Even then it has mandatory solo sequences, which IMHO, don't belong in a multiplayer game.

But give it a shot. It might be the best thing you'll ever play. Who knows?
  17. Apr 8, 2015
    Let me start with saying this game has amazing quests. Rather than your run of the mill go out and kill these bad guys kinda quests. Every quest I play in this game feels like part of the game's lore and story are coming to life!

The combat is very interesting, and you don't have to feel tortured with a class lock. In the end you can mix and match all the abilities of the game, provided you are wielding the corresponding weapon(s). I find this a very refreshing and relaxing take on skill systems.

If I had to throw one con out there, it would be that the game can be a little buggy sometimes. Perhaps this is a low budget problem? Also their customer support can be kind of EXTREMELY dumb, but hey! That isn't part of the game. (;
  18. Mar 18, 2015
    I noticed there hasn't been any recent reviews of The Secret World. I bought this game back when it came out and only played a little bit. I'm not even sure why I quit back then, but probably other time commitments and I remember the game being tough early on. Fast forward to now. I recently started playing again. This game is free to play once you buy the game, and for a FTP game, it isI noticed there hasn't been any recent reviews of The Secret World. I bought this game back when it came out and only played a little bit. I'm not even sure why I quit back then, but probably other time commitments and I remember the game being tough early on. Fast forward to now. I recently started playing again. This game is free to play once you buy the game, and for a FTP game, it is really good. You can play and enjoy the game easily without a subscription. I waited over a month before I decided to get one (I ended up doing Lifetime).

What is good about the game:
    1) New player experience - they've made it easier to start and understand what is going on
    2) You can teleport between anima wells now for a nominal fee, which helps moving around the map a lot easier
    3) The story line is excellent and not the same old fantasy line.
    4) The 3 "secret world" types are unique in their own right; templar, illuminati and dragons. (I play templar)
    5) The game has a TON of content. I'm still in the first areas (Solomon island) and have been playing a few weeks now (I'm not a power player though) few hours here and there.
    6) Sanctuary Channel - you type /chat join sanctuary is great community channel and help for players

Drawbacks/Cons
    1) It isn't your standard MMO, so there is a bit of a learning curve. I highly recommend reading up online about good survivial builds to get yourself off to a good start.
    2) I'm not sure the Cabal scene (guilds) is as active as it use to be, but players are very helpful, especially to new players

You don't ever have to restart, so if you don't like your setup, just keep questing and put your points elsewhere. You'll eventually get all the skills and abilities. My first, homemade build was decent, but started to make play difficult. I just looked up a good survival build using some of my current skills and added the ones I needed. Now I'm really doing a lot better with questing and holding my own.

Also, you'll find the questing isn't run of the mill either. There are regular type quests, investigation quests (which require you to think and use logic) and even another type of quest. There is a built in web browser so you can do web searches while on a mission. Really very creative and the game is extremely atmospheric.

If you're in the mood for something different and a robust MMO with great story, then give the Secret World a try. I haven't even scratched the surface on any of the add on content yet.
  19. Jan 18, 2015
    This game is awesome. There have been very few MMOs that held my attention for very long and this is one of them. The atmosphere and stories alone make it worth playing. If you love horror in the vein of Lovecraft and King then this game is for you. If you are looking for something other than the typical level grind of games like WoW then this game is for you.
  20. Dec 27, 2014
    I haven't given very many MMO's the time to become immersed. I play EVE Online and I have tried D&D Online, DC Universe, SWTOR, WoW, and Everquest II. I love how quickly I got hooked into the story and fictional reality that The Secret World offers. People have complained that it is not really an MMO, but most agree that it is an extremely good single-player game. I would have to sayI haven't given very many MMO's the time to become immersed. I play EVE Online and I have tried D&D Online, DC Universe, SWTOR, WoW, and Everquest II. I love how quickly I got hooked into the story and fictional reality that The Secret World offers. People have complained that it is not really an MMO, but most agree that it is an extremely good single-player game. I would have to say that the community is so friendly that even if you solo every mission it is still unique having help from other players. I personally love the underlying mythology. I needed to get used to the combat system but it is better than many other games I have tried.

I'll echo the others who have said that it is the storyline, the character depth, and the atmosphere that have hooked me.
  21. Fuz
    Dec 12, 2014
    Fantastic game. Not your typical MMO, it's a different approach on the classic formula.
    It's a very original, smart and imaginative game. The writing is fantastic and has some of the best character I've ever seen in a videogame, the story is great and the gameplay is pretty good, with a huge number of skill combinations possible... and this is a strong and weak point at the same time: the learning curve is pretty steep and could be scaring sometimes. Also, some zones are less interesting than others (but this mostly depends on personal taste).
    Questing is the best ever seen in a videogame, period. The investigative type of missions, especially, are always extremely intelligent and original, and often require a great deal of thinking outside the box, they can be very hard to solve, too.
    The game does have some flaws, but still, it's the most interesting MMO out there, hands down. And it's not a carbon copy of WoW.
  22. Nov 22, 2014
    I normally don't write reviews but I think this title deserves one.

This game is in my opinion the most underrated MMO out there. The story is superb, easy to follow and interesting at the same time, it is always giving you more questions than answers but when you follow the story for a bit things slowly falls into place. The graphics is far better than most MMOs out there, giving your
    I normally don't write reviews but I think this title deserves one.

The graphics is far better than most MMOs out there, giving your high end computer a run for the money but at the same time scales very well with older harware (I'm currently playing on my laptop gtx 680m).
    The combat is fluid and fun; movement and timing of attacks are more important than bashing buttons (although there is a bit of that as well). The combat never gets overly complicated with only 8 combat moves available at one time, but the variation of moves that can be set up prior to combat is extensive and varied.

The game is fully playable as a single player only if you so wishes but gets more fun with a group of people in PVE mode. Unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult to find players to join you unless you are a member of a cabal (a guild), but I guess that is true for most MMOs.

There are three types of missions (aside from dungeons and scenarios which are group missions); the classical seek and destroy, the covert agent missions and the investigation missions. They are all varied and fun to do and seldom feel like a chore. Most of them are repeatable which in my opinion is a good thing. On top of this you have the main story missions which combines all three elements as it follows the progression of your character.

There is enough endgame material to keep things interesting for a long time and there are regular updates and new content added on. Admittedly it is not the size of WOW yet but it is steadily growing and improving.

The main criticism I have is the inventory interface, represented by tiles that all look very similar and you have to hover the mouse over it to find out what it is. A minor annoyance that I have learnt to live with.

I can't comment on PVP as it doesn't really interest me that much.

All in all a game that I hope more people will try, because I'm sure you will like it. It is definitely worth the 30 dollars to buy.
  23. Nov 13, 2014
    IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF FREE TIME, you're VERY PATIENT, and DETERMINED, you will find yourself immersed in a dark, gloomy world that will make you feel immersed & excited just to be there. This game is very heavy on special effects, not necessarily polygon count, but actual effects and lighting, to the point where your graphics card might actually not be able to handle it. However, if youIF YOU HAVE A LOT OF FREE TIME, you're VERY PATIENT, and DETERMINED, you will find yourself immersed in a dark, gloomy world that will make you feel immersed & excited just to be there. This game is very heavy on special effects, not necessarily polygon count, but actual effects and lighting, to the point where your graphics card might actually not be able to handle it. However, if you have dual GPUs, this game looks gorgeous on max, the lighting & special effects make it really a treat unlike any other MMO I've seen.

As far as the abilities go, it's a little bit clunky since the indication of using skills is not exactly clear, you will probably find yourself button mashing a few times to make sure you used an ability. Once you get beyond that though, you'll find a multitude of hauntingly beautiful stories and puzzles to solve, with a plethora of cut-scenes, and the atmosphere is chilling.

THERE ARE NO "CHARACTER LEVELS" *BUT* there IS a lot of "LEVELING" of SKILLS, so it's indirectly saying yes you have to level, just not officially saying it. You choose general weapons from shotgun, assault rifle, swords, magic (chaos/blood), and get new spells/abilities as you level up, your choice as to what skills. There's also miscellaneous skills to get such as taunt for "tanks" and heals, but it's all up to you as to what you want to get. There are pre-set templates though to use if you want a guide. Eventually you CAN get every skill on one character, so you don't need to level more than one character.

The nice thing about the world in this game is it's modeled exactly after the real-life cities & towns, so it's like you are actually there, plus the gloom and doom of demons & zombies of course, but you might find your house if you happen to live in one of those areas in real life, that's how close it resembles the real thing.

I have not actually gone very deep into the game, even though I've had the game for a while now, because I'm a big WoW player and League of Legends player, and have other things as well, so haven't had as much "urge" to play this game, but I get around to it every now and then. If I had some friends to play with it would be 10x more awesome, but for now I just play it solo and it's fine for a few puzzles / quests here and there just to get my end-of-the-world zombie apocalypse fix.

They just added a new area: Tokyo, and I heard it's really fun.

There's also PvP, but again I'm very newbish and can't even hold a stick against the enemy team. All in all, if you have little cash to spend, this is a good game if you have a lot of time & maybe a friend to come with you, but make sure you go in with an open mind and you try to actually immerse yourself, otherwise you'll take it at face value & it won't be fun to you.
  24. Nov 13, 2014
    I had bought this game on steam on sale this past holloween for $10...$10 well spent. Yes the combat can be a little bit annoying at first, but its definitely not the worst. The games combat feels clunky at first, especially if youre used to target ,right click, followed by hotkey presses here and there like WOW or GW2, but once you get the hang of it, its actually a lot better than someI had bought this game on steam on sale this past holloween for $10...$10 well spent. Yes the combat can be a little bit annoying at first, but its definitely not the worst. The games combat feels clunky at first, especially if youre used to target ,right click, followed by hotkey presses here and there like WOW or GW2, but once you get the hang of it, its actually a lot better than some F2P MMO's or even payed ones too. The setting feels refreshing and new, the story is well played and the limit on the amount of quests you can have at a time allow that story to be noticed (til this day i can shamefully say i have no idea what the story is about in WOW). the fact that there is no leveling or even a class system is a very bold move for an MMO and kinda shows ESO how this system should've been implemented in some sort, as thats how Elder Scroll games are supposed to be, yes skyrim is the only one with absolutely no class system but even earlier elder scrolls titles gave you the option to create your own class to your liking, which is what TSW does very well. also one thing you either love or hate is the option to change and reassign set skills, to hardcore rpg or mmo players, having those choices engraved forever means you have to choose wisely and level your toon very carefully, that is the challenging factor that makes a good game, however the other end adds flexibility for newbies, and expands ever changing features where you wouldnt have to start a new toon to experience said features. The games graphics are rather poor for a post 2010 game, however this is where accessibility is brought into the picture. Realistically, not everyone has a top of the line computer, so with that said it can run on most PCs. Now since im fairly new to this game (but not to the MMO genre) i didnt experience that many bugs in the game, so its fairly polished at this point, but i did hear horror stories in the beginning.

Overall this game is a great MMO, its combat is an "either you love it or hate it" situation, Graphics are poor but not terrible, its not perfect and to some it might be dull, but if youre tired of playing MMO's that desperately copy the WOW formula or are in a over-used J.R.R. Tolkien cookie-cutter fantasy, then give it a shot, if youre still not convinced, wait for it to go on sale.
  25. Oct 16, 2014
    Excellent game. Character progression is interesting. The instanced dungeons are some of the best I have ever seen. Quests are fun, challenging and interesting. Graphics are amazing.

Downsides....it is hard to find people to play with. Cabals have almost no functionality. PvP can be iffy. The only MMO I have ever played where the story has me hooked. I will continue to come

The only MMO I have ever played where the story has me hooked. I will continue to come back to it just to see what happens next.
  26. Oct 14, 2014
    This game snuck up on me. When I first played it, I didn't like it much, so I put it away and went off to play Starwars. After that bored me to death, I came back to The Secret World and this time it hooked me. I think the main thing that put me off the first time was not understanding the leveling system. TSW does not have levels. It uses a ranking system plus a Quality level of yourThis game snuck up on me. When I first played it, I didn't like it much, so I put it away and went off to play Starwars. After that bored me to death, I came back to The Secret World and this time it hooked me. I think the main thing that put me off the first time was not understanding the leveling system. TSW does not have levels. It uses a ranking system plus a Quality level of your equipment to determine the power of your character.

I like the general overall story of the game, although the zombies do become tedious after a time, but once you are strong enough, they are just a nuisance that is easily gotten rid of. Once you leave the first couple of areas the zombies are no longer a problem.

The quests are the major draw to TSW for me. They are well thought out and keep to the story throughout the game. Most of the quests, at least the main quests, are chains, chaining from one to the other until the final quest and boss. There are several different kinds of quests. The main quests are stories that require a lot of fighting usually. You may only have one of these active at any time. There are investigation quests, and exploration quests, each one of these types of quests have their own look and feel. The puzzle are sometimes rather amazing, requiring much investigation, usually on the web. There is a web browser included in game for solving these puzzle quests.

You can play TSW solo or with a group. The group quests do require a group. If they are attempted solo the play will most surely fail.

The NPCs are very life like. The quest givers are fully voiced and always have an interesting story. You have to listen carefully because they will slip in bits and pieces that can be extremely funny. Pay particular attention to deputy Andy.

One caution, if foul language offends you, then give TSW a pass. The NPCs have some very flowery language. The game, for me, is never boring. There is always another quest to do or puzzle to figure out.
  27. Aug 24, 2014
    Story wise it is great, graphic wise a failure you basically have to constantly adjust you brightness and gamma for outdoors then when you do underground scenes, 2 yrs out and you would think they would have fixed it. Will tell you that the game is almost impossible to solo using melee, magic and shooter is somewhat easier but still labor intensive. The system requirements are higher thanStory wise it is great, graphic wise a failure you basically have to constantly adjust you brightness and gamma for outdoors then when you do underground scenes, 2 yrs out and you would think they would have fixed it. Will tell you that the game is almost impossible to solo using melee, magic and shooter is somewhat easier but still labor intensive. The system requirements are higher than they say. Expand
  28. Jun 19, 2014
    X-files on crack, modernized and made into an MMORPG. Similar humor. Urban fantasy would be the most apt genre description here.

Puzzle quests. Like RE puzzles? These go well beyond those in difficulty. Look stuff up on fake web pages designed around the game. Riddles. Codes. Biblical clues. Ciphers. Some are tedious, yes, but once you get the gist you can cheat if you like rather than plugging away at the mechanics of the cipher you already figured out. Solve the puzzle, leave the tedious mechanics to someone else, or not, as you like.

I honestly don't know why reviews weren't better. I think the monthly fee sticker shock may have turned people off. Or the near simultaneous release of GW2 influenced reviewers in a bad way, the big company does have a lot of money to throw around. If you're going to charge, at least bring it down to the Netflix going rate of $8, not $15. Now on a proper buy the game once then play for free, with an opt in to pay what, $10? for each new content installment. Cash shop is mostly clothes over Pay To Win.

I hate MMORPG questing. It feels like running through a hamster wheel and is boring. Dungeons are where it's at, EXCEPT with this game. The questing here is unique and enjoyable. Bonus, call in your turn-in on a cellphone instead of hiking back to the questgiver. There are solo dungeons interspersed through the storylines, most being difficult, forcing you to figure out how to develop your toon to win in each scenario. This, I think, properly prepares players for endgame dungeons, a much needed aspect in any MMO.

Lacks in-game voice system. This game was released in 2012, surely the tech is there for such things when a 2006 game like DDO can have a perfectly clear and nicely done in game voice available on auto upon joining any group. Fail.

Requires passage through a "gatekeeper" scenario. First you have to complete all the starting endgame dungeons, then you have to solo this guy, not easy. Once you "pass" you can then play endgame. Again, much needed to rout out the whiny gimme cuz I want to ask for it instead of earn it crowd infesting MMOs these days.

Alts not required. Seriously. I think people start one each faction just to check out the storyline diffs, but you only need one. You can learn and have everything on one toon. Much needed death to altism.

Want more inventory? Just buy it with ingame currency. No lie. Bank or backpack, have at it.

Want more ingame currency? Quest. You get it in copious amounts, quite easily.

Want to play with your buddy who rolled up another faction on another server? Do it. Even guild with him if you like. Servers and factions don't offer any real barriers to gameplay at all, except in PvP.

It's lack of better ratings is mind-boggling.
  29. May 26, 2014
    This is a great game

For people who like something different. A good plot .a bit difficult to understand but fun and flexcible weapon and skill system. The graphics is excellent and u can play the whole story solo as if you were playing a good rpg game. There are fun and excekently written events each season.coustomer support is great. The bads---------- Updates are always delayed.
    This is a great game

For people who like something different.
    The bads----------
    Updates are always delayed.
    Some of the low tier skill animations need to be enhanced.
    Pvp needs something more.....

I love this game and am still playing it avidly .
  30. May 4, 2014
    Absolutely the best MMO I've ever played. The quests are individual and expand the lore of the game. The settings are gorgeous and moody and the mechanics are engaging. Character customization is the very soul of the game and you can spend hours mastering the synergies on hundreds of abilities. The maps are full of hidden mysteries, side-quests and hidden lore.

This game is great even

This game is great even as a single-player game!

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.