8.2

1. Jan 26, 2014
    I have been playing this mmo more like a 'normal' game than as I would normally approach an mmo and, as such, it is quite enjoyable. Fully voiced npcs with unique and genuinely interesting personalities alongside its novel weapon-leveling system makes this one well worth it. I am just in love with this world and they definitely delivered on giving a genuine Lovecraft experience.
  2. Jul 7, 2012
    I'll just chime in here. For an atmospheric, mature storyline, you can't find a better MMO out there. Cutscenes are top-quality and set the mood for a dark romp through modern-day horror, whether in H. P. Lovecraft's universe, the world of Dracula, or Egypt.

Is the game perfect? Nope. That's why it gets a 9 instead of a 10. The character creator is sub-par, and that's why the developer
    has already said, several times, that a barber shop/tattoo parlor will be in the game soon. Is the game revolutionary? Nope. You still have to kill a lot of stuff and do so by pressing numbers on your keyboard/mouse. However, it takes many steps forward with the investigation (no killing required) and sabotage (sneaking is optimal) quest types. Additionally, even when killing ten foozles, it's presented in a way that's less grindy. The grind isn't completely gone, but it's less than any other MMO I've played.

In conclusion, the game is _absolutely worth_ your $50 for a month. You'll get some of the best storyline ever (comparable with SW:tOR's main story) and lots of interesting questing during that time period.
  3. Jul 7, 2012
    Ok this game is nothing like the other MMO's that I've played before. First of all there's no such thing as level. And it feels actually bad ass because a 2 year long player can even fail a starting quest like the beginners. (ofc if he/she got distracted etc) And the game's actually HARD. How come? Like I said there's no leveling and you can master every skill and that brings to player think a bit. Which also shoo away wow-kids from the game;) From what I've been telling mechanics are ok but this game's newly released. It's going to patched fixed etc. So I'm changing subject to another topic instead of talking something going to change in the future for sure. Here are the things that I don't like. The number one thing that I hate is the font selection. WHY THE HELL YOU'D USE FUTURA? IT'S NOT 80'S! Ugh... And the UI is literally hurts my eyes. It's obviously been rushed and art directors didn't gave a crap to revise. But that's actually %50 important to make the game UNDERSTANDABLE. If you do not put sweat what's going on with the UI you'll never understand what did you just unlocked or achieved. because every single object is scattered around the monitor. I can guess they were trying to minimalistic but that's not it. That's an UI sketch. Not even processed. That's actually NOT a thing a game company would forget to check. because nowadays %50 of the consumers want nice appeal. and believe me TSW is going to loose most of their potential customers if they don't fix their horrendous UI. But if you don't give a crap about UI and check metacritic if this game's good or not, I could advice you to give it a shot. I cannot say you could love it because it's REALLY a diffirent MMO. (it may feel like tera online from the teasers and gameplay videos but it's not even remotely similar) Expand
  4. Dec 25, 2012
    Storyline in this game is truly excellent and now that it requires no subscription and costs about $25, there's simply no reason not to try this (even if you are not into MMOs in general, just for the quests, story and setting).
  5. Jul 14, 2012
    Fantastic game so far. Anyone can become anything they want without starting again from scratch. Great PvP with 3 way battles between the 3 factions. Great story and game design. Beautiful graphics, best I've seen in an MMO. Keep up the good work TSW!
  6. Aug 8, 2012
    This game is trash just like most EA games. Does not feel polished. Gameplay is slow and doesn't seem responsive. I predict F2P in 6 months easy. Its just like any other MMO.
  7. Jul 6, 2012
    Do not believe the hype. Try this game first. If they will give you trial that is. Combat is b.o.r.i.n.g. Missions are b.o.r.i.n.g. Crafting is total failure. PvP? gimme a break. Also, no motion capture was used so your toon moves like a rag doll. Game looks quite nice when you do not move though.
  8. Jul 10, 2012
    My review is that I have been playing it every waking hour for the last 4 days and cannot stop!

I have been playing MMO's since EQ1 and had given up on the genre after the SWTOR debacle. It is a bit like an adventure game MMO (like Monkey Island opnline or something). If you do not like puzzles or adventure games then you will probably not be hooked like I am. I was getting really
    really sick of the "kill 10 rats" quests in other games and this game solves that problem.

It is worth buying even for the month of obsessive fun you will have. I am unsure how it will work out as a subscription offer on a monthly basis, but am prepared to give it a couple of months to see if it does. It is giving me many more hours fun than a night out at the bar and is much cheaper.

They are giving out buddy keys, so check with a friend if you want to try before you buy.
  9. Jul 4, 2012
    Having played MMORPGs since 1999 with Everquest, this game is absolutely fantastic. It utilizes a talent system I have not seen since Pre-CU SWG, and it has storytelling unlike any MMO I have ever played. Ragnar Tornquist has outdone his past works, and has made a gem of a story. The game has bugs, but nothing that is not easily fixed with time. The Structure that defines the game is phenomenal, and you are missing out by not buying it and playing now. Expand
  10. Jul 4, 2012
    Best game on the market now! Great story, great customization on abilities, and much more! The horror aspect and the puzzles you do throughout the world get you really thinking and on edge! (in a good way) The dungeons are amazing! Some people don't like the game because there's no "end game", but don't let that stop you from trying! Funcom will add plenty of endgame. People just need patience. Game has me hooked for a very long time! Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by The Secret World. While in some ways it greatly resembles the EQ/WoW style MMOs of the past, the setting, excellent writing, decent lore, and outstanding character customization set it apart. Time will tell if it is worth keeping a subscription for many months but a week or so in and I feel as though I've more than got my money's worth.

Check it out if
    you're sick of swords and elves and want a game with great character customization (as far as builds go, anyways). Expand
  12. Sep 3, 2012
    I'm playing this game for two months in casual style and it remains as interesting as before. Very nice graphics, story and ability wheel system. Great community.
  13. Jul 19, 2012
    I was excited about this game. I love the concept of the strange fractured realities and so on. But since it included adult content I won't never play this game. What a shame that such a great game had to be ruined because someone can't keep his dirty mind out of the development.
  14. Jul 19, 2012
    What I like about this game is that it's so different than any other MMO I've played and I have just about played them all. I had almost given up on the entire MMO genre until stumbling onto TSW. This game is a shinning gem in a sea of turd filled mediocrity.

Honestly though, I don't feel like reading a review does this game any justice at all. The only way to truly understand how
    good this game is is to try it out. After the previous stinkbombs that have been released lately (I'm looking at you SWTOR) I fully understand someone waiting until a free trial is released before playing any MMO. But I have to say, if you are remotely intereseted in a modern world, no cookie cutter FOTM classes, NO ELVES OR ORCS and most of all fun then pull the trigger. That being said, if you do try out this game give it some time because initially the ability system does seem really odd and really confusing but once you delve into this game it's quite impressive. If I were to change anything about the game I would change the first time players introduction to the game. I really did feel lost for a bit. Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2012
    Disclaimer: People WILL either HATE or LOVE this game(With capital characters intended). Please don't let your opinion become guided by those of others, give it a try before giving your final personal conclusion.

The secret world is one of the few(if not the only) MMO's that sucked me into it, it has the best story of any MMO I have seen this far. True, there are some issues but the
    friendly customer support is more than happy to assist. I absolutely love the way that the missions are designed, they require you to actually think or try to learn you something. The world is designed to make sure that there is always something to do, something to explore and something new to learn regarding the story. If you love to "think" and enjoy a good story, the game is definitely worth a try. The Secret World is clearly a different than the avarage MMO. Expand
  16. Aug 3, 2012
    Though the setting is new, the aesthetics are great, and there are SOME interesting ideas like the Skill Wheel - as usual for Funcom the execution doesn't live up to the expectations. Investigation Missions aren't enough to save this game from clunky combat and animations, tacked-on gear-based PvP, repetitive content, and the same "end-game" model of instanced PvP and dungeons we've seen since 2004. Expand
  17. Sep 23, 2012
    Very underestimated game. It is beautiful in visuals, story, lore, investigation missions and setting. NPC animations and voice acting is simply great. Probably the first MMO that has single player experience compared with the best RPG singles. However it is much better then usual single player games in the long run because of guaranteed new monthly content for the next 7 years (as it was promised by Ragnar). Group PVE is also very, very nice since dungeon mechanics is interesting and challenging. Animations, effects are OK for me and I do not understand why some people put so much emphasis to them it their negative reviews. I solved subscription issue by buying lifetime account=) Expand
  18. Sep 29, 2012
    Ok first off I have no respect for the company who make this game which is a bad start. I will keep this short is this a Good game? Unique game? Worth your MOney? IMO No,No,and No.
    If you still wish to play the game wait a month or two it will be free to play as Funcom already have the tooling to make it so. For those who bought Life subs I am sorry for your loss, but same happened to me
    in Lord of the Rings Online when the shaft3d me and went Free to play leaving Life subscribers like me with no value for my money. I learned my lesson accepted my loss and moved on as the free to play version of Lord of the Rings Online was completely useless. So hang on play for free well not really free cash shoppy but you know what I mean soon. Expand
  19. Oct 11, 2012
    The game is very mixed: a great levelling process followed by character progression that is purely gear related. It was so close to being a good game, but at the end of the day, it's one for the grinders only.
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    A very well thought out, complex game, that continues to be enjoyable even after launch. Excellent Sandbox MMO. End game is starting to come around, PvE is fun and makes you think to solves puzzles. PvP is challenging but still fun.
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    Ahh, The Secret World. What a curious game. I was really looking forward to this. I enjoyed other Funcom games, like The Longest Journey and Age of Conan. The subject matter in SW is really right up my alley too; Conspiracies, horror, Lovecraftian themes and a modern day world. What could go wrong?

Secret world does a lot of things really well. I like the look of the game. The writing
    is just excellent. NPC characters are characters with a big "C". I like how you can find quests as you explore the world. The investigation and sabotage missions are a lot of fun. Secret World also tries to innovate the MMO genre by removing levels and pre-set roles. You are not stuck with being a Tank, dps or healer, if you don't want to. You can always switch later.

But... This doesn't change the fact that you still need to have healers, dps and tanks to complete dungeons. Your level is also basically your gear. The better the gear, the higher your level is. So the question that comes to mind is: -Is this true innovation or a clever camouflage for the traditional MMO way of running things? Are they in fact just throwng things out the front door (levels, roles), and then merely sneaking said things back in, from the back door?

While Guild Wars 2 is happy to speed things up, Secret World goes the other way around and slows things down. In other words, SW is a very time consuming game. It involves theory crafting, sitting down and trying to figure out puzzles (as you would in an adventure game) and even combat takes longer. Someof the puzzles require you to browse the web (while half a dozen hungry zombies are trying to chew on your butt). Interesting gameplay mechanics to say the least.

While the investigation missions and sabotage missions are breath of fresh air, most of the time playing SW is about fighting mobs, a lot of mobs. While there aren't that many trash mobs inside dungeons, there are plenty outside them. The monsters tend to have a lot of hp. The areas are densly populated and the mobs usually have some sort of attack that you have to dodge. This leads to some annoying things; While dodging attacks you have a risk of aggroing more than 2 or 3 mobs and after that you are as good as dead, since they have a lot of hp.

Combat it self feels a bit dry. The animations are nothing special and most of the attacks feel and look underwhelming. There is no stealth skill, so you can't usually sneak past the mobs either.

The PvP..Well Im not going there.... Inventory system needs some work. Crafting is nothing special. Conspiracies and factions barely exsist. There is lack of polish almost everywhere except for the dialogue and voice acting.

They also gave your character no voice. You can't even respond to any of the npc's. You can't interact with them. You just silently listen to their monologues.

At the end of the day, this is another Themepark MMO, with all the shortcomings and highpoints of that genre. The endgame tends to be another gear-grind and I personally have no desire to experience that again.

But still, the game is Buy to play. It does challenge you. It wont hold hands with you, like most other games out there. If that's your thing, then the Secret World is definetly worth cheking out.
  22. Dec 29, 2012
    After shelling out 25 bucks for the game on steam and playing it for 30 minutes, I decided never to play the game again. It sucks that bad ! I got suckered into buying this game because of all the good reviews on here. Now I either think these people are personally insane that gave it a good rating or these are company employees posting. LOL Now after the game is supposedly free to play now with no monthly dues they still charged my credit card after I took the billing details off their website. Hands down one of the worst experiences I have had. Now I have to contest the charges on my card and all that jazz. Such a waste of time and resources for me on my end. Save yourself some time and money and DONT buy this crappy game ! Expand
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    Amazing game to spend couple of months in it. Awesome lore, modern day conspiracies, magic, urban legends,interesting quests et cetera et cetera. I suppose there also exist some PvP at battlegrounds and PvP zone, interesting skill system, highly customizable equipment, clothing and shiny weapons. The only thing that possibly spoils the game is absence of replayability and as far as we can see no endgame. But for the time while you still have at least couple of quests not done this game surely absorbs you completely. Expand
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    After being disappointed by a number of MMOs that failed to live up to the hype that surrounded them, that were released early, and that all-around disappointed, The Secret World actually delivers so much more than I had dared hope.

It is the best MMO, and among the better games in general I've ever played. The story and narrative is incredible. But the best part is the game design,
    it's completely new. There is no grinding to get to the end game, or to good content; the good content starts straight off the bat, and there's little to no reward for rushing through it.

The missions typically require you to actually use your brain, eyes and ears, and can some times be difficult in a very satisfying manner. Same goes for combat. It's not ridiculously hard, but it does give you a serious challenge. The game doesn't hold your hand.

The world design is amazing. People in it feel real, have character, and have their own agenda (that may or may not align with yours). And it's all jam packed with lore, and more mood than I know what to do with.

The combat controls are fairly standard for an MMO, but attacks can channel while you move around, and a lot of emphasis is put on moving around. There is the occasional buggy quest (so far seems to mainly stem from too many people trying to do a quest all at once), but overall the game is very polished.

In summary, it dares to break from WoW and defines a new generation of MMOs, and sets an example that will very difficult for others to follow.
  25. Jul 16, 2012
    This game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged by thoughtful interesting plot development, and immersing myself in some of the most well done and atmospheric zone design ever. And no levels! The ability to eventually learn every skill in the game with one toon! I have heard that PvP is a little lackluster, but I haven't tried it yet. Funcom, fool me once (AO), fool me twice (AoC), knock it out of the park here. Wait, what!?! Expand
  26. Aug 31, 2012
    Secret World is a breath of fresh air from the monotony of the average MMO and is one of the most original and exciting games to be released in years. The setting, a modern-day fantasy world with a dash of Lovecraftian horror, brings back fond memories of the pen-and-paper RPG Shadowrun or Vampire the Masquerade. Perhaps the most innovative and exciting aspect of this game are the PvE investigative missions. Tired of 'kill 10 bears, then kill 10 more'? Well, don your Holmes pipe and get your notepad ready to do some occult sleuthing. Better brush up on your latin translations and Morse code though because these puzzles are HARD. Like, old-school 'You are likely to be eaten by a Grue' stuck-for-days hard. The not-quite leveling system is also brilliant, with a near infinite combination of character classes in each weapon class. Only a few significant downsides to this game: still a great deal of MMO-grinding particularly in the terrible timed-kill missions; no indication for some group or high-level missions; and sometimes tediously long speeches from mission-givers. These are minor quibbles, though. Step away from GW2 and give this game a try- you will not be disappointed. Expand
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    If I could sum up the game in one word it would be "cheap". The game looks and plays like a indie project that didn't have the resources to make a decent quality game. It has a good story and the quests are fun at times, but it also has plenty of bugs and glitches which ruin the immersion of the game.

Don't be be fooled by all the spamming user reviews that give this game a 10 out of
    10. It's just some lame kid hired by FunCom to inflate the meta scores of this game. They are desperate at this point because they know everyone that pre-ordered this game are incredibly disappointed.

By the end of summer, this game will be the The Lonely World.
  28. Jul 7, 2012
    Awesome game. Best MMORPG I have played in a long time. Unique and fun. Highly recommended. Enjoy the lore and the quest - rich and good voice acting. Love the skill system and the "leveling".
  29. Sep 18, 2012
    If I had to choose one word to describe this game, it would be "bipolar". While it has clear aspirations to be one thing, the implementation of game often seems to be quite the opposite. Starting with the story, the setting and the tone it sets, it felt like a breath of fresh air in the MMO landscape. But then it chose to give your character no voice, literally or figuratively. In all the quests and cut-scenes, there is almost no input from you, or even your character, who stands mute and emotionless during the monologues of the quest giver (or dialogues, in the few cases where the giver is more than one person). I felt less involvement and immersion with my character, than I have in most FPS games, much less one that is supposed to be an RPG. (Even the characters you play in Left4Dead have more personality.) At the end of the first chapter, I was afforded a choice, which took me aback. But even here, I felt I lacked the information I needed to make it, and afterwards, I felt little repercussions from it. Also, I found that contrary to the setting and premise, there's very little exploration of the conflict between the secret societies. For the most part, it's filled with "monster-of-the-moment" quests, with little flexibility as to achieving the goal--and after you do so, the lack of interacting with the quest giver again often feels like there is a lack of closure to the mini-story. After finishing the first chapter, looking back it just didn't feel like a cohesive and engrossing plot line--just a string of connected events. The "subterfuge" type quests promised different gameplay, and in one sense it does as you try to avoid combat, but without any stealth mechanics in the game (not even the ability to crouch behind things ala Deus Ex: HR), "sneaking around" means just staying out of aggro range. You cross open areas with enemies in plain sight, but just not close enough for them to engage. I guess they are all very nearsighted and lack glasses.... The investigation-type quests also had potential, but since this takes up a slot as your one allowed main mission, you feel "frozen" as you have it, and instead of keeping it in the back of your mind as you explore, I found myself getting very impatient with them. The game touts itself as "leveless", but it only meets that literally. You have to buy abilities with AP and some skills with SP. Tied with bonuses due to gear, this means that the game has a very definite progression, perhaps less than in some leveled systems, but still very pronounced. Plus, the ability system seems to reach "plateaus" of effectiveness, meaning that there are often huge stair-steps in your progression. Eventually, about 2/3 of the way through the first chapter, I found that I had pretty much max'ed out a build, and that to try to achieve something better would mean trashing and reformulating my build, all the while not getting any "better". Gameplay itself, while promising to be fresh, plays that way to begin, but then devolves into monotony, as with only 7 active abilities at one time there's very little tactical selection when playing solo. You end up using the same rotations over and over. As a final comment, since this game uses a subscription model, you are constantly reminded of the fun-vs-cost ratio that must be maintained for your own satisfaction. In my opinion, it doesn't come close to meeting my bar for such. If you are looking for a story experience, SW:TOR delivers far better. If you are looking for gameplay, many others are more entertaining. Expand
  30. Aug 10, 2012
    First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007. Definitely worth trying. Expand
  31. Feb 21, 2014
    Fun and interesting. I originally never gave this game a chance. I was wrong; once I tried it again it turned out to be amazing, creepy and immersive. The story gets grindy, and some of the stories are only single player.

However, it is so captivating and interesting that I have to play more. This game is for people who love horrors, mythology, a modern fantasy game, or who love to
    fight. I'm not much of a horror person, but there is a drive to keep going and find out how everything is happening.

10 stars for being awesome, fun, different and original. -2 stars for the excessive grind.
  32. Jul 4, 2012
    In an over saturated MMO world. an mmo has to do something different to set itself apart from the masses of games birthed from the loins of WOW. This game has what you need to make it different. the fact that there are no levels and thousands of possibilities to create teh character you want. the fact that the QUEST have finally broken the mold from go kill X number of X and come back here. then go collect Y number of Y and come back here. That is finally DEAD. Granted this game still has those quest. BUT they are FAR and FEW between. As for grouping with others or selecting a server. IT DOESN'T MATTER. because all servers are tied in globally. general chat in each zone is across all servers. you want to group up with somebody from another server. DO IT. you want to make friends with other people on other servers DO IT you are no longer tied down and chained to the server you started on. character custimization at the start is pretty limited. i'll give those who are rating 1's and 3's that. but later on you can literally custimize your character to you hearts content with outfits of all kinds all segmented to cover each part of your characters body. so no one combination will be alike really. Also the Cash shop if anybody says anything otherwise about it having more than just outfits and pets in it. they're wrong. i spent 10 bucks in the store got 1200 points. haven't even used all them yet. the only thing in the cash shop is OUTFITS and PETS. That's it! its not pay 2 win. and if you don't want to buy cool outfits. cooler than what you would find out in the game world. THEN DON'T!

The only gripe with the cash shop i have is things are not account wide. so if you buy a cool shirt for one character. ONLY THAT character can wear it. Not any other ones. However this game does highly discourage alt play. and they do that on purpose also by the way. so really its not that bad of a hit. however some will be rolling alts like crazy which is beyond me unless they totally jack up their skill wheel. because there are no RESPECS. Overall this game is pretty good. its finally breaks the mold of that damned and boring tired system of kill this and do that. and it really is a breath of fresh air. the graphics are amazing and according to NVIDIA they are the first to use beta software to allow for more realistic lighting through obscured lines of sight. in fact NIVIDA because of what the secret world has done has released beta drivers for newer level cards (4-6 series). End game is a bit questionable however at this point. But i believe funcom has a good roadmap in front of them. and if they stay on this path. then any new content updates will be amazing. But don't come in expecting a huge end game because they are trying to break the mold on that as well. doing what GW2 is attempting with horizontal progression instead of vertical so "nobody gets left out" as the GW2 devs say.

this game is a SOLID. and i mean SOLID 8/10
  33. Jul 12, 2012
    I really think the "proffesional" reviews are really unfair with this game. This is the best mmorpg i have played in postwow era. I cant beleave that games like SWTOR recieved better score, whats happening?
  34. Jul 16, 2012
    A modern day fairy tale except that the fae in TSW aren't the ones born when the first baby laughed for the very first time, but rather the naughty demon fairies that kill, maim and kidnap for fun. In this parts
  35. Jul 4, 2012
    TSW is all over the place -- it has so much potential, but falls short in several ways. The setting, and lore are amazing, as are the cutscenes and voice overs. The investigation missions are really fun, especially if you muddle through them without resorting to guides. Graphically, the game is a mixed bag -- the world is very immersive and creepy, and the creatures look quite good(though are a bit repetitive). The humans on the other hand? Not so much. Faces look very weird/ugly, and most of the hair looks like Oblivion-mod stuff, all wispy alpha-map stuff that. The characters run and jump very oddly, even moreso when they have their weapon in hand. Character creation is very limited, though there is a good selection of clothing to offset this a bit. Sadly, many of the more interesting options must be purchased using real money from the cash shop(despite the fact that they charge you $15/month). There are no classes, which is a nice change, though the skill wheel is a bit overwhelming when you start. Despite the huge assortment of skills, combat boils down to spamming a resource builder, pressing 2 resource spenders, and repeating(with the occasional cool-down skill peppered throughout). Crafting seems largely useless, and there is no auction house or mail system(though apparently that's coming soon). As someone who has been following the game since it was announced years ago, and is a huge Ragnar Tornquist fan, I am a little disappointed... I was hoping to spend years playing it, but probably won't make it til the end of August. FunCom seems dedicated to improving TSW and I hope they can make this game the gem it deserves to be. Expand
  36. Jul 5, 2012
    Some of the puzzles present are VERY impressive. Solving mystery quests can offer player a very uncommon flavors of achievment that have been missing from (AAA) RPGs for few decades now. In perfect world, The Secret World would revolutionize the methods modern RPG uses to challenge player. Alas, we live in world where actually investigating art history or decoding morse transmissions is not as fun and rewarding gaming experience as watching the endless parade of talking heads in Bioware games.

If you are gamer who is mostly familiar with AA and AAA RPGS and want to experience some genuinely new ways to get challenged, TSW is well worth a shot.
  37. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  38. Jul 15, 2012
    Simply amazing.great lore,great story.some minor bugs but nothing could take me away from this S h i t .pretty cool entertainment..the game is very mature.
  39. Jul 11, 2012
    A lot of quests in TSW feels like a short story that could stand on it's own. I love the writing, the props, the atmosphere and the sound. I like how they mix in a lot of different mechanics into the quests to keep the game fun. The graphics are really great with dx11 and tessellation and I am running a 6 year old machine where I have only upgraded memory and graphics card.
  40. Jul 11, 2012
    The Secret World is the MMO that gave me hope that the genera still has a future. While still somewhat rough around the edges, as should be expected with any MMO that just launched. But it has enjoyed a smooth launch and most of the issued tend to be minor, all in all there are so many good things about it that it is easily forgiven.

It's primary strenghts lie with it's missions and
    storytelling, freeform character building and stunning visuals. The term "thinking mans MMO" has been used a lot around TSW, and while I have never quite liked the term, it is fitting. TSW as opposed to the majority of contemporary MMO's dares to let you out into the world on your own, instead of firmly holding you by the hand and leading you along. It also dares to challenge you with several aspects of the gameplay, forcing you to think for yourself or find aid with your fellow players. Be it solving a wide variety puzzles, or rethinking the build that worked great last zone but needs some serious changes to deal with the new challenges that face you next.

The game is well written and presented with plenty of care. The graphics, while for some reason often the target for criticism, is some of the sharpest in the genera.. granted you have the hardware to run it on decent settings. It's a good thing then that TSW is a lot less demanding than Funcoms last MMO, Age of Conan comparably was at launch.

I won't say that TSW is for everyone, few good MMO's ever are, but those who look for an experience that offers up something new and different I can only recommend you give it a try. Make sure you give it enough time to sink in as well, many of TSW's strengths become apparent a little bit further in. What you will find is an MMO that has it's roots firmly in the familiar but its heart in an entirely new place. It fills a necessary niche that lies somewhere in between games like WoW and it's many clones, and more advanced online games like EvE. I'm very happy to finally have a game like that.
  41. Sep 29, 2013
    The Secret World is a Fantastic MMORPG. The story and plot are just enough for a MMORPG. Gameplay is fun, without levels or classes you are free to try any skill composition you want. The theme of the game is fun and while it lacks any true horror, at best it is slightly disturbing, the idea is really unique and well executed. This game however is somewhat frustrating for beginners as the skill building system, the crafting, and some of the quests will have you looking at a guide just to figure out what to do. That being said TSW also has something that I personally believe a lot of MMO's lack, difficulty, it's a hard game sometimes especially the Investigation missions where you have to be able to riddle out problems and use internet resources to find where you're going next. This brings me to my next topic, the missions have variety and are interesting for the most part. Dungeons are particularly good in TSW especially Polaris, the first dungeon, they focus mostly on boss fights with very few trash mobs in between. It is definitely worth a try for MMORPG fans especially considering it's only $30 up front. Expand
  42. Aug 20, 2012
    The basic concept of TSW is very good, an 'Adventure' style MMO. However, the actual implementation of the game leaves much to be desired.

* This is another released 'Beta' game. I am thinking it really needed another 6 to 12 months of content development, beta testing, bug fixing, and polishing.

* To few zones, and the zones are VERY small, with grinding the same content repeatedly
    (almost all the Main and Side quests are 'dailies') needed to actually build a character.

* Quest model where you can only have 1 Main / 3 Side / 1 Dungeon / 1 Story is, in my opinion, just a mechanic to drag out the time needed to play a zone. One should note that even though when you complete a quest, you (sometimes) get the completion reward on-the-spot via mail type mechanic, you STILL need to go back and pickup a new quest anyway. 95% or more of your 'game' time will be spent running from point to point.

* Really not much choice in progression. Choose a weapon, grind all the SP/AP to build that weapon. Rinse and Repeat. More grinding. There really is no choice, other than what weapon to start on first. Eventually, you do get some extra skills, and have to select what to go on your hotbar, but that selection is pretty straight forward depending on what you are going to be doing, Tank/Heal/DPS.

* Yes, this is yet another 'Holy Trinity' game. So tired of this model. Really.

* Yet another Single Player MMO. Every incentive NOT to play with other players, except in dungeons/Raids. Same old, same old.

* Gameplay is laggy, buggy, and not very smooth. Glowy quest items often do not work.

* So tired of the !/? Quest model. Time for it to go.

* Overall, I see TSW as a thinly disguised WOW clone. Not worth the $50 box price, and
    certainly not worth a $15/mo subscription.

* Box Purchase AND $15 Month Sub AND Cash Shop == Fail

Give it a try, if you have the extra $50 to spare. But, just be aware that this game is really in an advanced Beta state, and that it is a grinder. Nothing new to see here.

P.S. Even though ALL the cut-scenes show what most folks would consider to be standard, slow moving zombies, the zombies in TSW game itself are the fastest dang zombies I have ever seen.

Note: This is my review that I posted on Amazon, should it look familiar.
  43. Oct 10, 2012
    What a fantastic MMO. Best experience I ever had, challenging, immersion is top notch, storytelling is a dream, graphics and engine are top notch bleeding edge. Got tesselation in my MMO? Hell yeah! Well, I´m not much of a PvPer but the only thing that keeps TSW from a 10 is a little work invested into PvP, but that´s what they already plan. Also a lot do and a lot to come for RPers as well. So, this gets a clean honest 9 from me. Thanks for putting brain back into gaming and looking forward to many years of fun in my new MMO home. Expand
  44. Oct 12, 2012
    This game was a lot of fun. I played it for 2 months did everything i could that wasn't a dull grind and then moved on with my life. I loved the investigation missions and the atmosphere of the game. PVP being terrible is the only reason why i didn't give this game a 9. I will be back time and time again as they put out new updates to the awesome world.
  45. Aug 22, 2013
    This really is an amazing outing by a great company who has really turned a new page in customer relations. Funcom keeps coming out with quality content at a good pace. No subscription fee this company has really listened and cant wait to see future products!

This game broke out of tradition and offers something new, exciting, mysterious, with great artwork style and direction.
  46. Jan 26, 2014
    Great game Idea, very poor execution. The concept and setting are fascinating, but the actual game play leaves a lot to be desired. Quests are buggy in spite of 1.5 years of complaints, the difficulty is very inconsistent and there is no in-game play/build guidance of any sort. I’ve noted that players who have written some of the most used guides have quit the game out of frustration. The emptiness of the zones outside of endgame and start up are highly indicative of a game that causes most players to quit before they get too far. Overall, a real shame, this could have been the next great thing. Instead, its best just to leave it alone. Expand
  47. May 4, 2014
    Absolutely the best MMO I've ever played. The quests are individual and expand the lore of the game. The settings are gorgeous and moody and the mechanics are engaging. Character customization is the very soul of the game and you can spend hours mastering the synergies on hundreds of abilities. The maps are full of hidden mysteries, side-quests and hidden lore.

This game is great even
    as a single-player game! Expand
  48. Dec 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm totally enjoying this game and it's been well worth the money i've spent. If you like your MMOs with a narrative then this is the game for you. And now that it's free to play, there's no reason to not give it a try. Expand
  49. Aug 28, 2012
    This game is an absolute groundbreaking MMO in almost every way. The story, the skill wheel, dynamic, lore - i could go on and on on how revolutionary this game is. Why "professional" gaming sites scored this on average below 8 and Star Wars the Old Republic above is proof how money is more important than quality.
    I only gave it 9 and not 10 because i think it can evolve to be even
    better. I hope that anyone that reads this review wil want to give the Secret World a chance because its really worth it. I think that projects such as this one should be supported to show that taking risks in the gaming industry to make something unique and new pays up. TRY A FREE TRIAL AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF. Expand
  50. Oct 31, 2013
    The scores of 10 have to have been written by what was left of the Funcom staff before they all got fired, as there is no way this game should score more than a 5 pity vote. The combat is the worst thing about this game, it's full of bugs which never get fixed (and are built into the Dreamworld Engine since Anarchy Online days and will never be fixed, because lazy devs). Now they've all been fired (and rightly so) there is no way this game will be anything more than on life support. GG Funcom for another disaster. Giving a 0 for balance with all the lying 10s written by staff under threat of the chopping block. Expand
  51. Aug 30, 2012
    TSW has a few things going for it, namely it's storyline, investigation and sabotage missions and the skill wheel is a pretty nice addition (although there are many repetitive skills in there). The problem is, once you have completed the excellent storyline and missions you are left with the same old loot treadmill and absolutely terrible PvP. Combat itself lacks polish, skills often share animations and don't "blend" well, the sounds for combat are very repetitive (ex: all pistols sound exactly the same) and it lacks that visceral "feel" to it. Hopefully these are things Funcom can work on.

Overall, you'd probably get your $50 worth from playing through the story, but in it's current state, it's just not worth paying a monthly subscription for. If it makes the change to F2P then it's definitely worth picking up.
  52. Jul 24, 2012
    I've played many a PC game over a long time and quite a few MMOs. This by far my favourite MMO. Sure the toon creation could do with more options and PVP has its issues but otherwise it is a fun flavour filled game. Try it.
  53. Jul 4, 2012
    As a veteran mmorpg player, and a participant in many, many launch events I am ecstatic to report The Secret World public release as being a resounding success. It was very smooth with only 1 bugged quest (that I know of), which was fixed on the second day by the developers. 100% server up-time with a stable connection.

The world is rich, unique for this genre, realistic, atmospheric
    and genuinely quite scary at times. I am running it on a very high end PC at 2560x1440 and I am gob smacked by the graphics almost constantly. I have noticed no network latency from their servers even with large numbers of players together. The quests are excellent, with very few obvious courier/kill x of y mechanics being used. Some of them are fiendishly difficult to solve and many come without quest markers or any other guide to completion beside the intended clues e.g. newspaper clippings, dialogue, photographs, rumour. I really respect their decision to keep this level of difficulty and strongly believe this will help build a mature interesting player base. The 5-man dungeons I have completed are good fun and fairly quick to run, with boss-to-boss encounters for the most part. The skill system and ability wheel are simultaneously quite simple to grasp and very complicated, with deep customisation available. Don't worry there are suggested builds but also anything is possible.

I can't write any more at present as I can't stay away from the game any longer.
  54. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since ~2005. This is the first MMO that hasn't felt like a chore to me - it's a solid game without the MMO, and even better with it. Is it revolutionary? No, not really. But it's not just another WoW-clone, either. Contrary to what some are saying, the combat is quite fluid and fun, and the flexibility in character development adds a lot to it. No need to make multiple characters for different classes - just develop what interests you. You can max everything on one character. As others have mentioned, the story is just leaps and bounds above other MMOs. There's a bit too many solo instances, but not enough to really dampen the fun of group questing.

Negatives: the inventory system is HORRID (grid based, and lots of similar looking icons. no sorting). Crafting, while fun, is somewhat pointless (as you'll generally get gear drops that are better, and crafting requires kits which don't drop until after the item you'd make with them stops becoming useful. When they add the trading post, this will not be an issue.) PvP is sort of a mixed bag - one of the modes is just a lackluster, laggy, non fun deathmatch, while the other encourages more group play, but is still sort of spotty on the fun factor. I imagine a lot of this will get better over time.

Honestly, my biggest complaint right now is probably the monthly fee is pretty high.
  55. Aug 4, 2012
    The game improves on the Theme Park model in several ways and I find the free form skill structure in the place of traditional levels and classes refreshing. However, there isn't a lot outside of that which is truly innovative. The combat and is pretty bland in comparison to Funcom's other MMO Age of Conan and the quest structure is still a pretty standard "Kill 10 Rats" despite some minor improvements on the model save for Espionage and Investigation type missions where you'll spend a good deal of your time using the in game web browser to do research in order to complete some of these missions which is something I found quite tedious and unfun at times.

TSW is certainly not a bad game but not great either.
  56. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely amazing MMO which breaks the boring mold of other titles. I love it. The atmosphere, the setting, the graphics are top notch DirectX 11 with all bells and whistles. With a newer GTX graphics card your jaw will drop. Combat improved extremly over the beta too. Missions are full of variety, the story is amazing and gets you hooked right from the start. PvP areas are huge, three faction mega PvP. Finally.. a new non-grindy MMO home I will definitly enjoy for a long time to come and play with my friends who are also in since Beta2. Well done FC, kudos for taking the risk to break apart from the dated WoW concept. Expand
  57. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game! I made an account here simply to add to this plethora of positive reviews. Does it still have kinks? It does, but everything from setting, to questing, to crafting is so rewarding, and so interesting that I cannot think of any other MMO that made me so excited. Forget grinding and forget most of what other MMOs taught you. As soon as some of the mission bugs are fixed I'll be able to say that hands down this is the MMO every gamer has been waiting for! Expand
  58. Jul 4, 2012
    Not just another dumb MMO.

Real puzzle quests, hugely deep character customization, fast paced hot-key combat, and challenging dungeons with multiple difficulties make this not just another click to win MMO.

On top of that you have lush visuals, creepy sound effects and 8+ years of lovingly hand crafted environments that are just teeming with atmosphere, extremely solid voice acting
    from major actors and strong writing.

Honestly if you don't like MMO's and wont give them a chance this might not win you over, but if you enjoy MMO's and don't get frustrated when your hand isn't constantly held in character development and quest/puzzle solving... The Secret World is a dream come true.

Also I'd like to quickly point out how shocked I am at other people's comments:

1)"TSW has bad graphics" What game are you playing and are you playing on a 10+ year old system? My PC is 6+ years (with a video card that currently costs $100), runs TSW at medium to high and it looks stunning. Like Skyrim stunning, I guess if those style of graphics just aren't your thing, you are out of luck.

2)"TSW has bad character development" 9 weapon types of which you choose two which give you access to about 120 abilities to mix and match any which way you choose, 7 passives and 7 actives at a time, but also another 60 or so abilities that don't require a weapon that you can mix in without changing weapon types. If that wasn't enough you aren't locked into your two weapons at any time! Switch to any of the other 7, (9 in total) brings the game to almost 600 abilities... Not deep? It couldn't really get much deeper. This comment might refer only to the fact that the skills (another system on top of abilities) system is very simple, but changing this would only allow people to unintentionally gimp themselves and that's a can of worms I hope the gamer world could some day agree to be over.

I've been playing MMO's for 15+ years...think MUDs like at play.net, UO, AO and EQ. I've played every MMO I can get my hands on from then till today... My personal opinion is that The Secret World is a wonderful addition to the MMO genre where there are very very few good new entries, and a lot of silly dumb games.

Thanks.
  59. Jul 5, 2012
    Absolutely love this game! I have actually cancelled my Tera sub because this game will be taking all my time from here out.

If you like Fallout, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and MMOs in particular, then you will love this game.
  60. Jul 6, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me because:

1) Probably one of the most stable launches from an MMO that I've personally experienced. Huge props to FC for pulling it off, showing the world that it can, in fact, launch an AAA MMO. 2) The environment and storyline are at equal with some of my most favorite single player RPG's. 3) The game is beautiful - meet the recommended specs and you won't
    be disappointed (though, there needs to be more options for character customization, but that is something they are dedicated to expanding as a base product of the game... and the animations they will improve upon moving forward as well)
    4) I love the premise of the game. Conspiracy theory? Occult? Myth and fantasy? Modern day setting? Uh, yes please. 5) Puzzles and investigation missions and general missions that just make you think. A good many of them just require you to pay attention and just think in context of the zone you are in. I really find that attractive in a game.
    6) The crafting and skill system in general I find to be extremely attractive as well. The crafting is a step different from the typical things MMO's do and the skill system provides for a lot of really interesting theorycrafting down the road.
    7) I've been following the game for over 3 years (some of my friends, over 5.)... and I can safely say it hasn't disappointed me. Now, this isn't to say that there aren't some problems: The lack of character customization is a concern for many, but as stated, they've already have a plan to expand it. The interface seems a tad clunky and perhaps my biggest personal annoyance is the clunkiness of the inventory space and how all that is handled, but I am patient about such things. There are some bugged missions that are a consequence of so many people trying to do them at once or just bugged because they are bugged, but the latter are few and far in between. Some aspects are more intuitive than others and this could frustrate some.... and as a result... TSW simply won't be for everyone. For some, it will resonate deeply with and it will become their favorite game ever... for others? It will be a "meh" game or worse, something they will resent. Now, the cash shop is a bit of a concern for some, as I get the argument, but absolutely none of the items that come from it grand power to the player. All of it is aesthetic, just as Funcom said it would be. If you are wary of playing an MMO at launch, then give TSW a bit to percolate. However, if you have a good grasp of what to expect from an MMO launch - jump right in. The water is fine.
  61. Jul 6, 2012
    When someone that has no interest in MMO's can be converted to invest in a life time package...after playing 2 betas? I think that says it all. The game isn't perfect, don't come in thinking it's perfect and there isn't any issues...but for a game of this magnitude and ambition, there are always going to be bumps on the road. This game doesn't deserve anything less then a 9. With some of the rubbish that has come out lately, here you have a game that has bent some rules and really tries to engage players with story/atmosphere - but also kept some things neutral to try and build a broader base. Expand
  62. Jul 7, 2012
    Firstly take no notice of thept's review he is evedently a braindead troll. To start this game is an amazing new change to the mmo genre, the combat fast and having to evade my different aoes and big attacks from even basic mobs keep you thinking and moving, its a hard game by no means easy like wow/rift and i died 9 times on a mission today. the game has 8 big areas, 8 dungeons and a raid soon, amazing music, THE BEST GFX to date of any mmo and the atmosphere is spot on constantly changing and evolving around you. Its voice acting imo is far better then SWTOR and more realistic and fun. If you ar enot one of the common mass market MMO players who just wants to rush to max lv and grind gear and like story/rpg elements and an amazing game world and story deffo get this game, its so good ive even bought lifetime.

Also to note dungeons/instances in this game are more like raids, as they have very little to NO trash mobs inside them its litrely boss > boss > boss so no hours of pointles mob clearing.

Story = Amazing
    Gfx = Amazing
    Sound/Music = Amazing

Bad = A few chat bugs that will soon be fixed and a delayed auction house.
  63. Jul 7, 2012
    The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance, it requires human beings to use their brains, and think about what they're doing. No hand holding, no compromises, and a story that makes Bioware look pathetic are what ties this game together, flaws and all. Sure, there are launch bugs, there are some quests that loop, but they are but small smudges on the beautiful tapestry that Funcom has woven. This is what Age of Conan should have been, and now we have the first modern day MMORPG that firmly looks at critics who prefer spoon fed versions of World of Warcraft and spits in their faces. Go on, give it a 60, give it a low user score, only the ignorant would throw stones at their superior's. Expand
  64. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's go directly to the point Okay: the game is not for everyone. It's a different kind of MMO that some people will love and be willing to spend 250 bucks for lifetime (so did i). On the other side, the game's investigation missions will challenge you up to a point where some people will simply abandon (like solving some morse code). I must also admit that the fighting part of the game is definitely not like anything you've ever seen. It's indeed a rinse and repeat finisher that some people will find boring, but it's all about personal opinion. The fact that there is a cash shop is a con though. Paying each month or 250 bucks is a shame is you need to buy more stuff into the in-game shop. Back to gameplay, the biggest pro is the group instances like Polaris. Hiding from the draug that is currently destroying the rock in your face was pretty scary but interesting. Some bugs are also annoying but the game does not deserves a 0 or a 1. Expand
  65. Jul 12, 2012
    Amazing MMO, had me hooked from the go! Now bought the Grand Master pack and can see myself playing this for years to come! I'm looking forward to the upcoming content patch, should be really interesting to see what else they can do.

This is the first MMO in which I've actually been afraid when exploring an incredibly dark cave with only the torch of my mining helmet or flares. Amazing
    atmosphere and the cutscenes are much better than SWToR aside from the lack of interaction; but they don't need interaction, they tell you what yo need to do and are written very well. I definitely recommend anyone who loves there games making them think and use their brain to try this game, it's awesome. Expand
  66. Jul 13, 2012
    + Great universe
    + Interesting quests

- Awful animations
    - Bad character customization
    - Character leveling DOES exist
    - Zombies again and again....
  67. Jul 26, 2012
    My second review... ...still think this game is great, but need much better sound i.e. when you upgrade your guns a new sound to go with these would make if feel like you had actually "levelled up". Same gun noises, just different graphics makes it feel rather cheap. Combat is indeed rather repetitive, circle strafing around target with the odd dodge thrown in. BUT great atmosphere, enthralling plot and excellent investigation missions.

Sabotage missions are a waste of time to be fair though as avoiding detection involves the same device as avoiding aggroing a mob, just keep a certain distance from people. They can be looking right at you, but if you are 1mm away from their aggro zone they wont "see" you.

There are many skills, but many are obviously fillers and lack any real use.

Sorry for the negatives, still a great game though,
  68. Jul 13, 2012
    Engaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery and the ability to share this experience with other players. If you want to get to the endgame as fast as you can, then choose something else to play. 10 out of 10 because the trolls can suck it. Expand
  69. Jul 20, 2012
    The Secret World is the best MMOG i have played in about 13 years of MMO gaming. The World has a great atmosphere. The NPCs have deep characters and their stories are actually worth listening to. The Background story is complex, exciting and very interesting to experience. The mission design is great, especially the investigation missions that really need a lot of thinking out of the box. Finding a group (at least on Kobold) isnt hard, theres lots of other players to meet everywhere.
    Then why only 8 of 10? Because there are flaws. Of course - its a MMOG!
    Most of them are minor bugs, that can be a nuisance sometimes, but arent gamebreaking. Then theres some features missing, that should be there at launch, but thats by far not as bad as it was in SWTOR. Thats 1 point minus.
    The other point is the PvP. Its fun for a while and all, but it needs A LOT of polishing. the two battlegrounds get boring quite fast and the persistent PvP map is nothing but a Zerg fest, where the faction with the most players wins. So that either you join the Zerg or you die. TSW definetly needs more PvP maps and a lot more complex persistent PvP goals and mechanics.
    Other than that, the game is simply great. Everyone should at least try it!
  70. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm impressed.

The game plays well, the quests are a nice blend of dead simple smaller tasks all the way up to the large scale mind boggling hard ones. I just love the way they blend into the "real world" with small details. (E.g. if you find an URL on equipment or in a computer log, you can in all the cases I've tried it just open a real world browser in game and type in that URL to go to an actual website. [minor spoiler]In some cases you might even have to do it to research the problem at hand.[/minor spoiler])

The point deducted comes from bugs, primarily in aggro from mobs, but also in some missions which does not play out the way there are supposed to do. But with the kind of attention the GMs are giving the player in game, problems are mostly sorted within minutes. (All my petitions has been handled within 30 minutes.)

Get the bugs sorted, and this thing will shine as the gem it really is.
  71. Aug 2, 2012
    Still rough around the edges after several patches. Core gameplay "mostly" works, as several bugged quests reportedly are fixed. Graphics bugs still are present, with problems such as the skill UI reverting to basic descriptions and random artifacts on-screen. The new auction system is buggy. Questing in some cases is still not multi-user friendly, which seems like it would be an obvious design consideration.

The 500ish skills is somewhat misleading, as many are duplicates or just plain worthless. Blaze seems to be the most popular DPS build, which may be heading for nerfing. PvP is mostly a bad joke. Combat is highly repetitive, build resources and use finishers, with no auto-attack.

Puzzles can be extremely difficult, but there are many walkthroughs now available for stuck players. Overall, if you can deal with the bugs, bad design decisions, and other nuisances, the game has some entertainment value at least temporarily.
  72. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm absolutely in love with the game's design. The sets are gorgeous, I have to work at putting my build together... first major update included several interesting and involved puzzle quests (in addition to what was already included) The things I love about gaming and always wished were in MMOs, are quite present. This is also one of the most stable, mostly bug-free MMO I've seen at launch, and it's already improving. This game gets all the thumbs up!

Other moments of awesome of interest: Getting to use sledgehammers, axes, shotguns, chainsaws, and flamethrowers against zombies. Losing a helicopter ride to Cthulhu's cousin. Getting to wear denim in combat (armor gets sweaty, yanno?) [spoiler] ing the freaking legendary [spoiler] [spoiler] away from [spoiler] . (Seriously, you can't miss it.) Going to have to stop there, because a lot of the awesome gets spoiler-y quick.

Practical awesomeness: Builds are powerful because of synergy, and buffed by gear. I had a tank that debuffed enemy offense, buffed his own health and damage resist, and hulked out on command. The debuffed enemies also triggered a number of benefits. Swapping a few powers around produced an insanely resilient solo build.

Toon clothing is cheap, and some of it's unlocked by achievement. It has nothing to do with stats... so your appearance is a matter of personal taste. I confess, I've walked to the clothing shoppe after unlocking a nice jacket... because I wanted some pants to go with it. Some faction-specific costumes are quite stunning. (Not all. Some.)

You have an absurdly high maximum for inventory space. At the high end, you can absolutely keep several sets of gear only varying in their secondary stats, to help with various builds. At the mid-range, you can easily set aside some space for crafting. There is no craft skill. Consumable kits and raw ingredients obtained via milling and refining gear you don't need anymore comprise the whole of it. The crafting is less about making something more potent, and more about upgrading that one stubborn slot you haven't found a replacement for in ages.

Some quests are about using interactive terrain features to avoid combat. Set off a car alarm to make a guard leave their post. Avoid security cameras and laser tripwires. Find access codes to open a gate... or find a good spot to jump over the fence. Sneaking around mobs is always a fun part of MMOs... and there are missions that reward it.

Grouping cross-dimension is allowed, and encouraged, and a thoroughly underrated benefit. Being able to run a pick-up-group with people around the globe means night owls in one part of the planet can team up with early risers overseas when you finally have time to run that dungeon you wanted... but nobody in your time zone is online.

Quest tracking is very different. One "main" mission, The Story Mission, and 3 side missions. Dungeon missions have their own slot too. "Main" missions are given by a character, with a cutscene. Side missions are interesting elements you find lying about. A note, an odd artifact, a trail of blood... The rewards are not huge, but they are often quick, and built to lead you to where another quest starts. If you pick up another quest, you pause the first until you resume it from the source... with your progress saved.

In-game browser at a button-press is included in the game, pointing to google. It isn't a joke. I had to research a couple articles to solve quests. I've needed paper and pencil to crack cryptography. Or to look up a solution, so I could benefit from someone else typing out binary or transcribing morse code to figure out coordinates, or getting a laptop password cracked.

In other words:

The game is levelless, makes you work at solving problems, makes you look closely, at the world, and explore. The writing is solid. The characters are interesting. The ability system is extremely interesting (and I'm pretty sure you can't actually have an "optimal" build, because situations vary... and a lot of things work just fine). With the plans to keep adding more content monthly (which sounds like a crazy-fast release schedule to me, mad props if they can keep that up.) I doubt I'll be getting bored anytime soon. :)
  73. Aug 13, 2012
    No classes, no levels, total user choice of how to play the character, not fixed roles, stunning visual in DX11, missions that you need to use brain to complete, 3 faction pvp with a persistent zone and facton buffs... very good game
  74. Aug 13, 2012
    I would have given the game in its current state closer to an 8 if it weren't for the fact that Funcom is pushing out patch after patch and the game just gets better and better. It suffers from your typical bugs and such that ANY other MMO had to go through upon launch, nothing extraordinary except for the fact that the game went live with no server stability issues and no lag. Seriously, the infrastructure setup is phenomenal. No server crashes or lag in the most populated areas of the game at all. To make things even better, Funcom actually listens to the community and makes changes based on player feed back.

Second, I gotta hand it to all the derps who wrote reviews regarding EA and how any game problems are their fault. We all know EA turns to crap anything it touches, but EA has nothing to do with TSW except for the publishing, you know, the distribution aspect. They have no control over how the game is made in any way, shape or form. Zero development control. Learn to do your research first.

I've had the chance to read some of the lower score reviews other people have written and it's quite clear that some majority of them are WoW babies who aren't used to having a game that doesn't practically play itself. Yes, the game is challenging, yes you will have to think for yourself, yes you can't just stand in one place and spam an iwin button until everything is dead. Yes, the game will feel clunky at first to anybody who's used to WoW, but if you actually spend some time and play the game you'll quickly find that what initially feels like "clunky" is actually just "different" and after spending some hours figuring it out you'll have no problems adapting.

The skill / ability system is complex. Yes, it would have been easy for the entire system to end up unusable and utterly broken because of how complex it is, but Funcom pulled it off and made something awe inspiring. It's hard to make a build that's just inherently broken as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. The level of customizability is amazing and vast.

Visually, this game is also pretty impressive for an MMO. There's no WoW or GW2 stylized anime-ish graphics here. This game isn't set in never-never land, this is the real world and things look like it. The only drawback is that, as people have so fervently pointed out, the combat animations are a bit wonky but if that's actually a major complaint then I think you just need to find a new hobby. Maybe needlepoint. It's less stressful.

The story line and plot of this TSW is so engrossing and well written that I can't even adequately put it into words. I find myself watching EVERY cutscene, talking to every NPC and listening to all the dialog they have to offer. The mission completion texts for the Illuminati are just as rewarding than the XP and item rewards. And the Lore. Don't get me started on the Lore, I'll be here all day. FANTASTIC!

In all, this game isn't for everyone, but for the rest of us who aren't concerned with flashy combat animations and anime inspired graphics and for those of us who would like to use that 3 pound lump jelly inside of our skulls, this is the MMO we've been waiting for.
  75. Aug 14, 2012
    If you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would be unhelpful to you as a player. Questing and builds have to be treated entirely differently. For instance, questing is about stories, not about loot or XP farming. You can only pursue one major quest actively. This means if you take a new quest your other quest is paused. Meaning you can't just collect a list of chores and go do them. Even if you were allowed to do this it would be extremely difficult as some of the people near the initial quest givers give quests for much more experienced characters. You want to choose one quest, and follow the quest chain all across the zone until you are brought back to the hub. Character builds are different in that there are no classes, or restrictions on how many abilities you can get. There are weapons, and restrictions on what kind of abilities you can have actively. The system is confusing at first, and you will make mistakes. However these mistakes end up just being another set of options you have later. You really only need one character, and you never need to repeat content if you don't want to. The game is young and has a few flaws. It has bugs, and it is thirsty for all those small pieces of content that older games are riddled with (homes, marriages,new clothing). PvP is kind of an after thought, and if you are thirsty for pvp content honestly I would suggest Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends as those provide great pvp for free. Expand
  76. Aug 16, 2012
    Finally an MMO that is enjoyable to play. There is an actual world to explore and the way to explore is not hours of raiding for the right item or an arbitrary level requirement. Clever crafting and environmental awareness are rewarded the most by Funcom. The investigation missions are just plain awesome and completion is highly rewarding (in-game and out).. There is a trial apparently and my advice to new comers is to look around and think like you are really there. There are yellow pages to browse in phone booths, ARG style websites on google. If you find a cellphone that says "the password is the first hymn on sunday", go to the church and look at where one would post hymns numbers in a real church. Expand
  77. Sep 5, 2012
    A new approach to MMO genre and a step forward for the gaming community .Everything about TSW is new and innovative .Yes it has a few rough edges but with 7 years of planned content with monthly updates .i have no doubt this game will do very well.
  78. Sep 7, 2012
    Perhaps I didn't give this game enough of a chance but I simply could not get into it. The premise and concepts are right up my alley but the delivery just doesn't seem to be there. I think it does a lot of things well...but when it comes right down to it, it feels like just another MMO. The combat was fun at first but got fairly repetitive quick. The graphics, design and overall atmosphere are definitely a plus. I was disappointed with the supposedly loads of conspiracy theory material. Most of it seemed very derived and boring and just didn't seem to make much sense in a lot of instances and I am normally a fan of this stuff. That said, I can certainly see why some people are thoroughly enjoying the game. For my part, it started off great but got stale very quickly. Expand
  79. Oct 11, 2012
    This game came out of nowhere for me, I have never been a fan of King or Lovecraft either, but it has turned me into one, I love the modern setting, great story, kills SWTOR on voice acting, the skill wheel is an amazing innovation to the MMO genre. Don't let the naysayers fool you, this game gets better as you go deeper in. The difficulty level is prefect, you are challenged constantly, need to adapt your builds to suit, but everything can be overcome. There are a few minor bugs and glitches but that is to be expected in any new MMO, nothing has been gamebreaking for me anyways. PVE wise this game is my game of choice. Expand
  80. Mar 5, 2013
    Amazing game do not be fooled by the low critic review this game has a great modern day world to explore, tons of interesting quests, this game is worth the 30 dollars hands down.
  81. Dec 22, 2013
    Fun game, very dynamic character progression system. Graphics are top notch for an MMO. What sets this apart from every other MMO that I have played is the story.

It will take you a few hours to really grasp how the game works, but it's great once you get the hang of it.

If this game is on sale, I recommend buying it. The story alone is worth it.
  82. Jul 3, 2012
    This game is by far one of the very best MMORPG I've ever played! The combat is dynamic and responsive, the world is incredible huge and offers a wide doze of variety. The zombies are always fun to kill, and there is a ton of missions that never gets boring! I would recommend this game to people who likes almost every game genre there is, I came from Demon's Souls, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, etc., and instantly fell in love with this game during the beta. In my opinion, this game is a must have! Expand
  83. Jul 3, 2012
    I really amazing modern day horror MMO that completely breaks the mold of MMOs. MMOs have always been focused on the combat, but no matter how different you make it, you're still going to be fighting things thousands of times and get bored of it. TSW changes this and instead of focuses on immersing you into an incredible setting and story. The stories are incredible, every single character I've met has been memorable, the environments are just spectacular, and the monsters will scare you. Plus, there are no levels and the skill system is completely freeform, pick and choose what you like and run with it.

This is really a game that needs to be experienced.

Side note though: This game received a Mature rating for good reason. Don't expect fantasy cuteness here, there is constant cursing, drug use, sexual innuendos, and lots of blood and gore.
  84. Oct 5, 2012
    Simply the only mmo i can play and have fun.The character development is huge you can bent your character quite easily into what your desire and not start about the huge breathtaking scenario,world and of course the innovative skills and ability systems without any class or fancy armor or stupid orcs.
  85. Jul 16, 2012
    There is something special about a game where the immersion is so complete you simply take for granted that you are going to need Google for some help or call in some intel after a boss fight to let your Faction / Society know what you've been doing. It is a brilliant game with some minor flaws that can be easily fixed and the player base that I have encountered, is very smart and astute at keeping the game flowing and keeping it real when it comes to PUGs. The way you can manipulate your character means you never ever will be concerned that you want to re-spec or that you wish you chose a different class. You can be all 'classes' eventually. As for 'leveling' well there is none in the truest sense. But unlike other MMO's as you get further into the content the XP flows like water and you actually progress FASTER in character Skill points and Ability points.! It's a breathe of fresh, 'un-grinding' air to have it this way. The Secret World has a lot to offer and takes you down the rabbit hole in a way few other games ever will. It has my full attention for gaming right now and that is a very hard thing to do because I enjoy so many facets of the hobby. Buy this game and enjoy yourself, I have a feeling the 'noobie' zones will even be quite full for a good long time. Expand
  86. Jul 3, 2012
    A classless, level-less, dark fantasy MMO rooted in the works of the likes of Lovecraft, King, Barker and Miéville. The Secret World seeks to break several MMO moulds, and does so for the most part competently and elegantly. Whilst not without its bugs, and in places a little rough around the edges, The Secret World delivers an engrossing storyline, an interesting and innovative combat system and a darkly atmospheric world permeated with secret societies, mystery and the occult. Strongly recommended to any MMO fans - or fans of dark fantasy - looking for something new and different. Expand
  87. Aug 1, 2012
    The most immersive MMO I've ever played. The attention of detail put into even the smalles things in this diverse universe is astonishing. The skill & combat system is complex but not complicated, it allows quick switches between different playstyles (tank, DPS, healer, melee, ranged, etc.) and quite variable builds.
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining
    immersion and self-referencing on a meta-level.

As everyone knows Funcom's support has managed to build up some bad rap over the years. Apparently they finally managed to get it together. GMs respond within minutes to your requests with personal messages (no automated BS).
    With the first content update after only a month of release, it seems as if they can hold up to their promises of monthly free content updates that keep the universe dynamic and interesting.
  88. Dec 19, 2012
    I am totally in love of the game. I had not tried early because of the monthly subscription payments (I am pretty busy and did not want to pay for months that I may not even login once), but with the new one time payment and DLC models, it's was hard not to give it a try. And I absolutely addicted to it. Whoever likes the kind of modern/science fiction/horror universe should definitely go for it.
    I feel for this game the same way as when I read a great book and watch an awesome moive: I just want other people to experience it too.
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    I did not know how I would feel about this game. I wasnt even planning on buying it, but I to a shot and was very happy, I have been playing SWTOR (Star Wars The Old Republic) but found the story a little boring. The Secret World has a amazing story, and fresh new ideas. Yes with every new mmo there is a few problems, but they will for sure works those out.
  90. Jul 4, 2012
    The game is by no means perfect and it still has a way to go but it does something that most MMOs don't do which is make you think. The answers aren't handed to you on a plate and at times that can be frustrating but that's all part of the game's draw as you try to figure out the next piece in the puzzle.

The character progression can be a bit confusing to get your head around if you're
    used to the talent trees of old but once you understand that if you don't like a weapon you can just equip a new one and start learning skills for that without being penalised by paying for the privilege (1 G anyone?) its quite liberating.

The PvP on offer in the form of persistent warzones is also an interesting new twist. It's open 24/7 as your faction tries to take control of as much of the map as you can. The main reason for this is to get a faction wide buff (even for those not taking part in the battle). Fighting against the other two factions is with up to 225 people on the map at any on time (75 of each faction) means you're always watching your back and there's never truly a winner. If you haven't got patience or want things handed to you on a plate this isn't the game for you, if you like a bit of mystery and enjoy figuring things out then you'll be more then welcome here.
  91. Jul 10, 2012
    If you want to run from A to B and just kill stuff dont even bother to pick up this game...go back to whatever old mmorpg you are playing.

I wil go so far to call this a mmorpg for adults, the missions you are doing are so wel presented it would be a singleplayer RPG game. The world is so interesting and well designed and it's is a JOY to finaly feel the urge to walk around the next
    corner to take a peek....and the next and the...wel you know.

This game wil get alot of hate becaus it does things diffrent, and it wil not be the next fix for many mmo players out there that are stuck in old school mmo style games. This is just 1 of a handfull of new mmorgp games that are making way to the future of mmorpg games.

And I urge you to take the trip in The Secret World as it is a journey like non before.
  92. Jul 19, 2012
    I love The Secret World - it is absolutely unlike any MMO you've played. You've probably heard all the big selling point by now, and they're all true. The setting and atmosphere are crazy brilliant, the quests are more diverse and original than most single player RPGs, and the character advancement is really unique and refreshing (you will find yourself constantly changing around your abilities to fit the situation - which is how the game sells itself as "classless"). Instead of leveling vertically in levels, you gain skill points and ability points at a fairly rapid basis... allowing you to not only be more powerful, but much more flexible (you can change out any purchased abilities on a whim, as you see fit).

Besides the theme, and the fact that the game can get really genuinely creepy, the thing that sold me was the diversity of quests (called "missions" in TSW). These missions sometimes require solving actual puzzles and riddles, and frequently doing ACTUAL detective work (sometimes involving Google, Wikipedia, and lots of actual, real-world websites that the devs have set up - in addition to in-game clues). There are still the occasional (albeit rare) "Kill X Monsters" quests, and they're still as tedious as ever... but they're few and far between enough, that I don't mind when they pop up once or twice per zone.

That said, the game still has all the rough edges. In particular, the sheer inventiveness of the quests means that the developers are still cleaning up lots of obnoxious mission-related bugs... some of which are bad enough that they can completely stop your progress. And the real kicker is that the bugged quests almost always seem to be the coolest and most inventive (like The Black House, which would be one of the coolest game experiences ever... if it worked). There's also a pretty good number of quests where monsters are supposed to spawn but don't, or take so long that you just assume it's bugged and leave (which in turn sometimes breaks the quest even more). As with most MMO launches, this is fairly par for the course, and hopefully if you wait 2 or 3 months to try the game out, these annoyances will be fixed.

As others have also stated, character creation is really underwhelming at the moment... particularly in the realm of hair styles (for both male AND female characters). Once you are actually in the game, the clothing options available for purchase (with in-game money or actual cash) will put most fashion districts to shame - so keep in mind that as disappointing as the facial creation is, the possibilities for customizing your clothing are downright INSANE... and the cloths are really what define your character's look, anyway. But if the character creation still gets you down, know this: the developers are busy adding barber shops, plastic surgery centers, and tattoo parlors to the game - so that character you created at the beginning... it's not permanent. It can be changed and tweaked to your heart's content once you're in the game (in about a month, anyway).

And that's the kind of cool stuff that will keep my playing The Secret World for a long, long time. It's the choice, the diversity, the excitement and fear... The Secret World is a refreshing, genuinely original, and fun MMO that gets it right everywhere that counts. The developers passion for their product shines through every feature... and once they get that extra coat of spit and polish on there (in the form of bug fixes, barber shops, and plastic surgery)... then I'll be able to say with complete honesty, that this game is a perfect 10.
  93. Jul 12, 2012
    I don't usually review things on Metacritic, but when I do, it's because they're awesome.

I'm a huge horror fan, so I've been waiting for something like this for a very long time. The setting, sound, graphics and plot are all way beyond what I've ever seen out of an MMORPG before. Also, don't mind the people complaining about the combat. The dodging is cool, and the abilities and the
    almost infinite ways you can sync them up are amazing.

This one takes a few hours to really get into, but it's totally worth the time. Once you get a feel for it, and you're knee-deep in zombie guts and Illuminati puzzles in Kingsmouth, you'll be glad you did.
  94. Aug 27, 2012
    Pros : Interesting skill system, fresh take on quests, great world to play in.

Cons : Terrible developer support, poor animations, many skills feel the same

I would pick this up when it goes free to play or when the box price drops. DO NOT fall for the lifetime subscription plan as you will get through the content within one month anyways.
  95. Aug 30, 2012
    Sadly, this would have been great as a single player game. Excellent story and questing marred by boring, unpolished combat, tacked on PvP and a WoW-esque approach to endgame. Third time is unfortunately not a charm for Funcom.
  96. Oct 8, 2012
    Lots of fun, amazing lore, lots of content, something new, deep combat & leveling system.

Fun: Combat is challenging, but not frustrating. There's plenty of easier content to run through if you are in the mood for a casual day. Plenty of really tough stuff to run through if you are in the mood for a challenge, too. The game does a great job of making you feel like more of a bad-ass as
    you level up, as well. Lore: It is like a good novel. Interesting characters, some pretty intense situations, very few pulled punches, extremely creative. The writing and voice overs are top notch. Even if you aren't interested in getting sucked into a MMO, I'd encourage you to consider playing through this game like a single player game.

Content: There's a pretty huge amount of content. Lots of quests, lots of land to explore. I do repeat quests that I find fun, but you could progress very far into this game without ever repeating a quest if you so choose.

Something New: Really love the investigation quests. Puzzles are very challenging, require some modern tools (like google, through an in-game browser), and help isn't hard to find when you get stuck. As a side-note, the community is pretty great. Deep Combat & Classes: I love to build. I've been a D&D addict for a long time for that very reason -- it is a fairly complex system that lets you get creative. TSW is exactly the same! You can mix and match abilities from a variety of trees to create a build that compliments your play style. You can literally learn every skill on the same character given time, as well, so your build doesn't need to get stale. Just pick up a new weapon when you want something fresh. Learning abilities is fairly quick, so you do not need to go through the chore of grinding for weeks & weeks to do so, either.

Overall, great game, highly recommended.
  97. Jul 4, 2012
    I would love to give this game a 10 but one major things a preventing me from it: Every NPC dialogue is wonderfully voice acted... except from the Player Character which is totally mute. I am not asking for branching dialogue options but at least have him acknowledge when spoken to with a one liner. With that out of the way, the character development is great, the instances are fun, the setting is unique, the launch was the smoothest I have seen in an MMO. Beware though this is not an MMO for everyone; if you are looking for elves, floating question marks on NPCs, a 30 entry long questlog with quests à la kill 10 of this, gather 5 of that; look elsewhere. It also has a steep learning curve when it comes to the Ability wheel synergies.
    Also neither I, nor any of the other reviewers can really comment on the longevity of the game. The end-game revolves around raids and heroic dungeons, the former are still not in-game, the latter need tweaking with regards to difficulty and rewards.
  98. Jul 12, 2012
    This game rocks. Some obnoxious bugs, but I'm still drawn to playing it regardless. The story is good, the progression paths and power levels are very well done, and the PvE content can be very challenging which forces you to be a better player to prosper. Also looking forward to their promised monthly content updates; I'll be playing this for a long time to come.
  99. Jul 3, 2012
    By far one of the most unique MMOs I've played in years, if not the most. It's questing system is designed to make players flesh out the storyline of the place calmly, instead of going through the rush of plundering hub after hub to reach the max level. The skill system allows for an almost infinite number of unique combinations(although min-maxers will possibly find the best for each role), and designers have incredible freedom with bosses thanks to that. In TSW, we might as well see bosses that requires, in a raid of 10 players(NYI), 8 healers, or, say, 5 tanks, and players will be able to roll with that just by swapping their skills and armor. The combat is your tried-and-true hotbar tab-target, but with a bit more action with the active dodge(just a bit though). This is a game that will make players think as they quest. So far, I've had to decipher morse code messages, decode enigmas, hack computers and even overload a giant capacitor. Where in other games can you do that? All in all, TSW has the potential to break the shell MMOs have been stuck in for a long time. Expand
  100. Jul 7, 2012
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.
    A very dynamic combat, dynamic graphics, and a truly new, with everything it has... new gaming experience...
    Funcom has achieved something other companies so many times had failed to do so, doing something new.

All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more
    players can just learn so much from it. Expand

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.