The Secret World PC

8.2

1. Jul 14, 2012
    Not quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going toNot quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going to start out small, but grow continuously throughout it's life span. If funcom keeps the game up to date, you're going to be hearing ALOT more about TSW than you have in the past. Expand
  2. Jul 7, 2012
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.
    A very dynamic combat, dynamic graphics, and a truly new, with everything it has... new gaming experience...
    Funcom has achieved something other companies so many times had failed to do so, doing something new. All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.

All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more players can just learn so much from it.
  3. Jul 4, 2012
    In an over saturated MMO world. an mmo has to do something different to set itself apart from the masses of games birthed from the loins of WOW. This game has what you need to make it different. the fact that there are no levels and thousands of possibilities to create teh character you want. the fact that the QUEST have finally broken the mold from go kill X number of X and come backIn an over saturated MMO world. an mmo has to do something different to set itself apart from the masses of games birthed from the loins of WOW. This game has what you need to make it different. the fact that there are no levels and thousands of possibilities to create teh character you want. the fact that the QUEST have finally broken the mold from go kill X number of X and come back here. then go collect Y number of Y and come back here. That is finally DEAD. Granted this game still has those quest. BUT they are FAR and FEW between. As for grouping with others or selecting a server. IT DOESN'T MATTER. because all servers are tied in globally. general chat in each zone is across all servers. you want to group up with somebody from another server. DO IT. you want to make friends with other people on other servers DO IT you are no longer tied down and chained to the server you started on. character custimization at the start is pretty limited. i'll give those who are rating 1's and 3's that. but later on you can literally custimize your character to you hearts content with outfits of all kinds all segmented to cover each part of your characters body. so no one combination will be alike really. Also the Cash shop if anybody says anything otherwise about it having more than just outfits and pets in it. they're wrong. i spent 10 bucks in the store got 1200 points. haven't even used all them yet. the only thing in the cash shop is OUTFITS and PETS. That's it! its not pay 2 win. and if you don't want to buy cool outfits. cooler than what you would find out in the game world. THEN DON'T!

The only gripe with the cash shop i have is things are not account wide. so if you buy a cool shirt for one character. ONLY THAT character can wear it. Not any other ones. However this game does highly discourage alt play. and they do that on purpose also by the way. so really its not that bad of a hit. however some will be rolling alts like crazy which is beyond me unless they totally jack up their skill wheel. because there are no RESPECS. Overall this game is pretty good. its finally breaks the mold of that damned and boring tired system of kill this and do that. and it really is a breath of fresh air. the graphics are amazing and according to NVIDIA they are the first to use beta software to allow for more realistic lighting through obscured lines of sight. in fact NIVIDA because of what the secret world has done has released beta drivers for newer level cards (4-6 series). End game is a bit questionable however at this point. But i believe funcom has a good roadmap in front of them. and if they stay on this path. then any new content updates will be amazing. But don't come in expecting a huge end game because they are trying to break the mold on that as well. doing what GW2 is attempting with horizontal progression instead of vertical so "nobody gets left out" as the GW2 devs say.

this game is a SOLID. and i mean SOLID 8/10
  4. gtb
    Aug 16, 2012
    TSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is theTSW is different from every other MMORPG thus far. That really is the only thing that needs to be said. In a market that is saturated with the same cookie-cutter games, TSW is the first one in nearly a decade that has tried to rewrite the genre. If you've played MMOs in the past, been frustrated by the same old thing over and over again, and gotten sick of elves and such, then this is the game for you.

The fact that the critic score was low for this game is an absolute indication of how useless game critics have become. TSW is innovative, unique, and it almost completely breaks the mold of the standard MMO. There are a few areas that need improvement, but the launch was the smoothest of any MMO i've played on day one, and the storyline, voice acting, and quests are top notch. It is firmly in my top three favorite MMOs, and I hope it continues for a long time.
  5. Jul 21, 2012
    There's something very strange about the user reviews here for The Secret World. Almost all of the positive 9's and 10's were left by people with only one review: TSW. Not only that, but when I read these reviews, I can't help but wonder what game these people are playing, because TSW is not NEARLY as good as they are making it out to be. I was in the closed beta, and have beenThere's something very strange about the user reviews here for The Secret World. Almost all of the positive 9's and 10's were left by people with only one review: TSW. Not only that, but when I read these reviews, I can't help but wonder what game these people are playing, because TSW is not NEARLY as good as they are making it out to be. I was in the closed beta, and have been following this game for years, and I am completely disappointed by it. While the modern setting is cool, the story fails at being realistic at all. This is the SECRET World, not the OBVIOUS World. For example, when starting the Illuminati quest, you eventually are led to this building where it is obvious the base has to be inside, with hands pointing the way to your end goal. Then, when you get there, the Illuminati are wearing... Illuminati uniforms... Where are they getting this stuff made without exposing themselves? How has normal society NOT discovered their barely hidden base entrance? And characters are running around with their weapons on their backs, in modern day, not hidden -- the fact that no one is being noticed by the police further wrecks my immersion. The quests feel very single player, and if you have to gather items, prepare to compete with everyone around you to pick up the items (that have a terribly slow respawn rate, too). The graphics are very outdated. I found myself staring at the doctor's misshapen arm while he talked, and couldn't pay attention to what he was saying because he looked so terrible. If this game was 10 years ago, the graphics would be acceptable. Character customization is limited and bland, and while there are no "levels" or "classes" advancement is still done with XP and you choose your specialty weapon (which defines your abilities like a class). Most of those weapons are terrible, unless you pick something melee. Combat is terrible, clunky and slow, and absolutely not fun. Don't bother trying to play a ranged class, because enemies run up on you faster than Left4Dead (hence why you need to pick a melee weapon from the start). I've also experienced random bugs, such as getting stuck in a doorway, and having to log off to get unstuck. Do not be fooled by all these good reviews on here about this game -- it's currently unpolished, unfun, and a great disappointment that isn't showing any signs of getting better. I expect whoever has been leaving these false reviews is going to thumbs down mine, but I have to get the word out anyway. It's very possible this game will go F2P like most other Funcom titles, and when it does, that would be a nice risk-free way to give it a try. Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2013
    This game has great visual design and awful gameplay. I'm reviewing the gameplay. ZERO. unplayable
    There are so many games out there that deserve the exposure of TSW. TSW does not deserve any.
  7. Jul 4, 2012
    Having played since beta and early access i can safely say that this is the best game i have played all year. It has an innovative skill/leveling system and a great story without pesky elves, orcs and jedis. The graphics are pretty good and it has an great atmosphere. Having been disappointed by Diablo 3 and SWTOR which both got boring within the first month, this looks like it will keepHaving played since beta and early access i can safely say that this is the best game i have played all year. It has an innovative skill/leveling system and a great story without pesky elves, orcs and jedis. The graphics are pretty good and it has an great atmosphere. Having been disappointed by Diablo 3 and SWTOR which both got boring within the first month, this looks like it will keep my interest for some time. Expand
  8. Nov 8, 2013
    Pros:
    -Gorgeous graphics
    -Storyline is fun and exciting -Dynamic environments to interact with Cons: -The do-it-yourself skill/ability system sounds interesting in theory but you'll be super frustrated if you don't use a pre-designed build by the time you hit mid-game....which defeats the entire purpose and just means you have to do more work. I.e.. You want a tank? Go look up how
    Pros:
    -Gorgeous graphics
    -Storyline is fun and exciting
    -Dynamic environments to interact with

Cons:
    -The do-it-yourself skill/ability system sounds interesting in theory but you'll be super frustrated if you don't use a pre-designed build by the time you hit mid-game....which defeats the entire purpose and just means you have to do more work. I.e.. You want a tank? Go look up how to build one.
    -Crafting system makes little sense and is incredibly frustrating.
    -Auction House is bare bones (feels like it's still in Beta)
  9. Aug 4, 2012
    The game improves on the Theme Park model in several ways and I find the free form skill structure in the place of traditional levels and classes refreshing. However, there isn't a lot outside of that which is truly innovative. The combat and is pretty bland in comparison to Funcom's other MMO Age of Conan and the quest structure is still a pretty standard "Kill 10 Rats" despite someThe game improves on the Theme Park model in several ways and I find the free form skill structure in the place of traditional levels and classes refreshing. However, there isn't a lot outside of that which is truly innovative. The combat and is pretty bland in comparison to Funcom's other MMO Age of Conan and the quest structure is still a pretty standard "Kill 10 Rats" despite some minor improvements on the model save for Espionage and Investigation type missions where you'll spend a good deal of your time using the in game web browser to do research in order to complete some of these missions which is something I found quite tedious and unfun at times.

TSW is certainly not a bad game but not great either.
  10. Jul 11, 2013
    Very cool game could've been done better. I like the sound and gameplay mechanics even thought a bit out dated. Loved the class system seemed balanced and very deep. Equipment could have had more added to it i think. Otherwise very cool story and lore. give it an 8.
  11. Aug 12, 2012
    The Secret World is an amazing mmo, with unique style setting it apart from all others. Unfortunately it is dragged down by technical issues and the worst tech support seen on the mmo-market.

Let's start with the good parts: The Secret World is the first mmo in a long time that wants you to think. It takes place in a mock version of our own world and time, where monsters and conspiracies are real but hidden from regular people. It takes inspiration from H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King in fabricating a world of horrors, and dumping you in the middle of it.

Pay attention to the details, because they are masterfully crafted. Every character, monster, or even piece of decor has a good reason for being where it is. Similarities to the real world shouldn't be ignored, because this game flirts heavily with Alternate Reality Games. If you find a business card in-game, you will find the company's website on the real net. Many quests requires you to browse these websites for answers, or ask you to use real skills, like history, religion or even Morse code in order to solve them.

And beneath it all lies hints to a story that keeps growing every month.

Game play is class-less, with a system of unlocking skills that theoretically allows you to learn every skill in the game. Skills only scale in power depending on you equipment, and unlocking new skills offers more flexibility instead of power. At any time, you have a small sub-set of skills "equipped", and can swap them out at will. Much like a good trading card game, it all boils down to finding unique and powerful combinations, or "decks", of skills.

This system of advancement works well, and as you progress, you will need to keep optimizing your skill-set to stand a chance against more difficult enemies.

The game play, story and setting are all masterfully done, so what stops it from getting a top score?

The bugs. All mmo-games have bugs, especially at launch, but The Secret World is a top offender. Broken quests (in a story-driven game), unreliable chat-system, non-functioning skill-management, often bad performance, and a lot more. What makes things worse is that after more than a month since launch, only a small handful of bugs are really fixed. Communication is almost non-existent, and players have no idea if it will take days, weeks, or even months to fix core mechanics of the game.

The tech support is no help either. Every question you ask will be met by a wall of apologies and sympathies, but no real help is ever provided. GMs do not communicate with each other, and the ticket system can have you bounced between a dozen different GMs, all giving wildly different answers, or asking for information that has been provided several times before.

It is not uncommon to see tech support giving answers that completely ignore the actual issue you are having.

The final verdict is that The Secret World could be a great game, but isn't yet. If you are very tolerant of technical issues in games, it may be worth it to take a gamble at this game. For everybody else, I recommend you wait and see what happens. If Funcom gives The Secret World the treatment it deserves, all serious issues will be fixed in a few months, and you can enjoy one of the best mmo-games ever to be released.
  12. X0R
    Aug 1, 2012
    This is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issuesThis is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issues that I expect a new MMO launch to have, but none ever frustrate me or make me want to quit - I need to take a week off from work to soak it up. Expand
  13. Jul 3, 2012
    This is not your father's MMO. I had some trouble initially adapting to the game as it's really quite different from anything else. The UI is sparse and it's got a very single-player game type of feel, so you can focus on playing instead of action bar layouts. The graphics are excellent and the overall atmosphere in this game is like none other.

The quests are phenomenal. Instead of

The quests are phenomenal. Instead of being lead from zone to zone you are often given quests by random things that you may find; an arm in the middle of the road or a cell phone you find, for example. You are limited in the number of active quests you can have, which I like, because it keeps you focused on the immediate area and its story.

There is also a huge range of quest types. They aren't just your typical gather and kill type of MMO quests either--you're solving puzzles and using items in the environment. Instead of grind you get great diversity, fun and excitement as you look forward to what's coming up next. I expect many, many hours of enjoyment from TSW.
  14. Jul 27, 2012
    This game was quite the surprise for me. First of this is a game by Funcom, which doesn
  15. May 17, 2015
    This game had such great potential, but the designers decided to make the focus clickies, rather than actually deepening the mechanics. What started out as a strong MMO petered out to a mediocre MMO with shoddy cheap attempts at progression. Look elsewhere for a deep engrossing MMO, at least if you plan on going beyond Issue 8, because everything after 9 is focused on a very specific buildThis game had such great potential, but the designers decided to make the focus clickies, rather than actually deepening the mechanics. What started out as a strong MMO petered out to a mediocre MMO with shoddy cheap attempts at progression. Look elsewhere for a deep engrossing MMO, at least if you plan on going beyond Issue 8, because everything after 9 is focused on a very specific build to progress. Expand
  16. Jul 3, 2012
    A brilliant and Epic game, a amazing MMO full of possibilities, a great world with numerous quest, a good sound quality and Perfect graphics , and overall 10!
  17. Aug 9, 2012
    The... worst... game ive played. Bought it for $90. NOT WORTH IT!!! terrible aiming system. you cant run, move your view and shoot at the same time, unless you have three hands. you click something, and then need to push another button (1,2,3 etc) to attack, so you can't just click and have default attack. I may be wrong here, but I didn't give the game enough time to find out: it didn'tThe... worst... game ive played. Bought it for $90. NOT WORTH IT!!! terrible aiming system. you cant run, move your view and shoot at the same time, unless you have three hands. you click something, and then need to push another button (1,2,3 etc) to attack, so you can't just click and have default attack. I may be wrong here, but I didn't give the game enough time to find out: it didn't deserve it. You're told to find the "secret" illuminati. Who everyone, EVERYONE on the street happens to know and be talking about at that exact time. but even if you couldn't listen to them, or find the woeful "technology trail" there were still icons on the screen pointing to the desired location. On top of that, you have a lot of speech options, with no real reason to use any that aren't directly involved with your quest. Not to mention an over complicated skill set/system. Terrible. Totally... terrible. I'm surprised i even bothered writing a review of it. Expand
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    I was amazed how well the launch went. Experienced no lag even in playfields packed with people.
    The ability wheel is a challenge, but gives so many options to make a build that suit you.
  19. Jul 4, 2012
    It is a long time since i liked a game as much as I like this one. I love the atmosphere. Everything feels alive. The enemies does not stand around looking stupid untill you get to a certain distance. They are actually busy doing something else! I love that you actually have to investigate and think to finish a quest. I actually had to "learn" morse-code in a quest to finish it..... Ok iIt is a long time since i liked a game as much as I like this one. I love the atmosphere. Everything feels alive. The enemies does not stand around looking stupid untill you get to a certain distance. They are actually busy doing something else! I love that you actually have to investigate and think to finish a quest. I actually had to "learn" morse-code in a quest to finish it..... Ok i ended up downloading a program that decoded the morse for me. But i had to figure out the program and stuff I liked it alot. You really feel smart when you figure something out. Very challenging. Have not felt similar since Portal. But Portal was not as exiting. Expand
  20. Jul 3, 2012
    Other MMOs may have better combat but no MMO to date can compete with the Quests in The Secret World. The investigation quest are especially great but the game play and quest blend seamless
  21. Jul 3, 2012
    This is just fantastic, never thought Funcom could make a game that i absolutely L.O.V.E.
    It's not a WOW killer, but i think this can take SWTOR further down.

10!
  22. Jul 3, 2012
    The Rise of FunCom! This is how we can define The Secret World. A new truly MMO, with a history, unique setting and full of personality. A fun, absorbing, with depth and more than decent content for a couple months. Ragnar knows how make an unique story and move to a MMO!
  23. Jul 3, 2012
    is just the game I was looking for the challenge with the phrase "no brain no play" although its built-in browser provides a lot of things and their variation of scripts and missions make you ask for more
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    This is a work of art, I have never played MMORPG, and I am sure more people will get their eyes open for these kind of games. Fantastic...WOW! I´m out of words...
  25. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm a huge video game and horror novel/movie fan as I'm sure many of you are and when this game was announced it seemed like the perfect blend of my two favorite genres. The concept of the game was great, filling a niche of MMO that had never been tapped into with a modern setting and horror basis, but to be honest I was a bit concerned about the execution of such a novel idea. I becameI'm a huge video game and horror novel/movie fan as I'm sure many of you are and when this game was announced it seemed like the perfect blend of my two favorite genres. The concept of the game was great, filling a niche of MMO that had never been tapped into with a modern setting and horror basis, but to be honest I was a bit concerned about the execution of such a novel idea. I became more concerned and more than a little disappointed once the first beta weekend had hit. The setting and concepts were great but gameplay and interfacing was very rough around the edges. I was out of town for the second beta weekend, but gave the third another try. Wow. I have never seen such dramatic changes made to a game, especially of one of this size, in such a short time. Gameplay was polished, bugs were dramatically reduced, and more importantly, it became very clear that the developers had listened to the players' feedback and responded immediately. Now that the game has launched, I'm happy to say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The setting and story are top notch, the visuals are great and combat is very well executed. Launch day, by the way, was pulled off flawlessly. Very few bugs were noted and by the second day of early access they were gone. Given a recent notable launch that did not go smoothly, this was a very pleasant surprise (what a concept, I could actually log into a game that I had bought and paid for). I unfortunately can't speak as to the endgame/high-level content yet, but given the amazing atmosphere of the Kingsmouth territories I can't wait to see Egypt and Transylvania. Questing is almost always more than just "kill 15 boars," and actually has context within the greater story arc. Judging by user reviews here so far and in-game chat, the community of this game has become very passionate about it in a very short period of time. They don't need to hear how great this game is and how "different" it is in so many cool ways, but those people still on the fence do. If you have any level of interest in the genre, give this game a try, odds are you'll be hooked very quickly. Expand
  26. Jul 3, 2012
    The best mmorpg! Great pvp, perfect PVE! I'm really, really HAPPY! The Secret World very bytiful! I love it!
    Tampliers RULEZZZ!!!! And SerbeRUS best pvp server ;)

From Russia with Love
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm solving mysteries in my sleep! Can't get enough of this game!
    Love the story, the mysteries/quests, the action and the humor. Don't miss the opportunity to play this amazing game!
  28. Jul 3, 2012
    If you can answer yes to 3 of these questions:

Do you love MMO's and want to try some thing different? Are you tried of the same old fantasy theme? Were you rely disappointed by Star Wars The Old Republic because it is just a wow clone? Looking for a game with a good story? Like the concept of EVE online but failing asleep every time you play the game? Or are you just a sucker for
    If you can answer yes to 3 of these questions:

Looking for a game with a good story?
    Like the concept of EVE online but failing asleep every time you play the game?
    Or are you just a sucker for just love killing zombies?

Then this is the game for you!
  29. Jul 3, 2012
    Beautiful world design. Rich story content with highly interesting non-player characters and excellent voice acting. Fun combat that keeps you on your toes. There is a learning curve for character development because there are no levels or classes like in a typical MMO. There is a learning curve for doing some of the in-game quests since they are not typical MMO questing. It is not aBeautiful world design. Rich story content with highly interesting non-player characters and excellent voice acting. Fun combat that keeps you on your toes. There is a learning curve for character development because there are no levels or classes like in a typical MMO. There is a learning curve for doing some of the in-game quests since they are not typical MMO questing. It is not a WoW clone. Rewarding game for folks who put in the time to understand what Funcom has built for them. I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  30. cvn
    Jul 3, 2012
    Just an absolute amazing game and the best MMORPG I've played for a VERY long time!

Scenery and atmosphere are just amazing. - Great graphics and proper sound effects pull the player right into a very exciting , entertaining and well elaborated story line.

Based on the great PvE and PvP content so far, I'm full of expectations for the future progression of this title.
  31. Jul 3, 2012
    Great game. It stand out as a wonderful addition to all the other mmos. If you are into shotguns and secrets instead of elf and orcs, this is your game. Its still a classical mmo, but the feeling is fresh. Funcom have learned from the Conan scandal and here we see something much better. Great way to spend the time.
  32. Jul 3, 2012
    The Secret World turned out to be a fantastic and mysterious surprise that have really grown on me these past few days! I burned out on WoW and SWTOR earlier, and after a buddy recommended TSW I jumped on the pre-order as Early Access was about to start. It's the first time in MANY years that I've utterly fallen in love with an MMO, and this game keeps on surprising me!

There certainly

There certainly are some niggles and some issues, but IMHO they are all outweighed by a true gamers game, a game that takes both story and gameplay systems seriously and which seems to have a depth and a SOUL all of it's own! If you love being treated like an adult in your games, and you're fond of well-crafted story, humour and gameplay I can definitely recommend that you take this baby out for a spin!

Illuminati for the win!
  33. Jul 4, 2012
    My new favourite game!

I have not been so into a game since xcom in 1994 or GTA 3 in 2001
    TSW sucks you in to its world and never lets you go.

First MMO I really liked. :)
  34. Jul 3, 2012
    Just when it seems that the world of online role playing has set into a familiar groove, The Secret World comes along and flips everything on its head, in a good way. We're not talking a complete reinvention of the genre here, but Funcom has gotten pretty damn close in their latest foray into the world of massive multiplayer games.

Where the game truly strikes gold is in the variety of

Where the game truly strikes gold is in the variety of quests and assignments availiable to the player. Already from the get go you have access to a wide variety of locations, each with its own special atmosphere and foes. The game does a very good job of keeping the interesting boss fights coming at a steady rate, and for the hours I put into it (nearly 100 beta hours) I never once felt like the pace was getting predictable.

The visuals are just about as good as one can expect from an MMORPG. As with the gameplay, variety is where the visuals really show their colors (pardon the pun). If all you've been playing the last few years is WoW you will need an upgrade, but most new-ish PCs will be able to run the game at high settings without too many hiccups.

The game does need a little polish, but nothing significant is really amiss. This especially holds true when compared to previous MMORPG launches - the dreaded Age of Conan included.

In closing, I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys coherent online worlds but might be a bit frustrated with the rinse-and-repeat mindset that seems to be at the core of most MMORPGs today.
  35. Jul 3, 2012
    I have big MMO experience, and i found TSW amazing. Never expected such game from Funcom. And I have to admit that TSW has practically perfect launch. There some bugs, but most of them were fixed really quick.
  36. Jul 12, 2012
    I really think the "proffesional" reviews are really unfair with this game. This is the best mmorpg i have played in postwow era. I cant beleave that games like SWTOR recieved better score, whats happening?
  37. Jul 4, 2012
    Having played MMORPGs since 1999 with Everquest, this game is absolutely fantastic. It utilizes a talent system I have not seen since Pre-CU SWG, and it has storytelling unlike any MMO I have ever played. Ragnar Tornquist has outdone his past works, and has made a gem of a story. The game has bugs, but nothing that is not easily fixed with time. The Structure that defines the game isHaving played MMORPGs since 1999 with Everquest, this game is absolutely fantastic. It utilizes a talent system I have not seen since Pre-CU SWG, and it has storytelling unlike any MMO I have ever played. Ragnar Tornquist has outdone his past works, and has made a gem of a story. The game has bugs, but nothing that is not easily fixed with time. The Structure that defines the game is phenomenal, and you are missing out by not buying it and playing now. Expand
  38. Jul 16, 2012
    A modern day fairy tale except that the fae in TSW aren't the ones born when the first baby laughed for the very first time, but rather the naughty demon fairies that kill, maim and kidnap for fun. In this parts
  39. Jul 4, 2012
    The Secret World is a creative an innovative MMO. It has a great story, fantastic setting and a great and deep character progression system. The best thing about the game though is the dungeons. They are very challenging and have the highest dungeon quality I have ever seen.
  40. Jul 4, 2012
    Of all the MMOs I've played, this has by far the most interesting setting and theme. If you can get past the clunky interface and the occasional bug, the content will reward you. The dialogue is well-written and well-acted -- superior even to SWTOR -- and the world is rich with character. Investigation missions are thought-provoking and satisfying, and the incorporation of real world cluesOf all the MMOs I've played, this has by far the most interesting setting and theme. If you can get past the clunky interface and the occasional bug, the content will reward you. The dialogue is well-written and well-acted -- superior even to SWTOR -- and the world is rich with character. Investigation missions are thought-provoking and satisfying, and the incorporation of real world clues to solve the puzzles is a neat innovation. Combat is fun, fast-paced, and challenging. There are some features that could make the gameplay a little smoother -- auto-revert to sprint, for example. But the game is not about holding your hand. It basically drops you in the middle of this campy/scary world, and gives you the freedom to explore, figure things out on your own, and develop your character however you like. I highly recommend. Expand
  41. Jul 4, 2012
    A fantastic MMORPG.
    With the right attention aand development, can compete in the MMO market.
    The game has an interesting and dynamic world and story, and feels good to play.
  42. Jul 4, 2012
    First ever MMOG aimed at an actual mature audience. You need intelligence, common knowledge and a good understanding of Abilities and how they work together. No Classes make raiding awesome - no waiting on a healer - if you have the spec - respec and go! Excellent Persistant world PVP system. Just love it! Investigation Quests keep you entetained for hours.
  43. Nov 28, 2012
    Great game with great potential. Fun, innovatory, educative and most of all - very immersive. Everybody is crying for new ways in MMO but if there is such game, everybody is crying thats too much new ;) Game mechanics arent easy to understand but if you go deeper - you are rewarded.;)Try trial!
  44. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely amazing MMO which breaks the boring mold of other titles. I love it. The atmosphere, the setting, the graphics are top notch DirectX 11 with all bells and whistles. With a newer GTX graphics card your jaw will drop. Combat improved extremly over the beta too. Missions are full of variety, the story is amazing and gets you hooked right from the start. PvP areas are huge, threeAbsolutely amazing MMO which breaks the boring mold of other titles. I love it. The atmosphere, the setting, the graphics are top notch DirectX 11 with all bells and whistles. With a newer GTX graphics card your jaw will drop. Combat improved extremly over the beta too. Missions are full of variety, the story is amazing and gets you hooked right from the start. PvP areas are huge, three faction mega PvP. Finally.. a new non-grindy MMO home I will definitly enjoy for a long time to come and play with my friends who are also in since Beta2. Well done FC, kudos for taking the risk to break apart from the dated WoW concept. Expand
  45. Jul 5, 2012
    Look at the few vidiots giving this game a zero. Dated graphics my ass, these graphics are state of the art. It appears to me it's the WoW fanboys, they complain because they cant just go out and zerg easymode quests by the dozen. This is the best mmo on the market right now. **** idiots.
  46. Jul 4, 2012
    Probably the best MMO I've played to date. Here's a few points:

- Amazing class-less and level-less system. You can play whatever you want, by choosing from an amazing collection of skills. - Very interesting, well-designed and challenging puzzle-quests. This game made questing fun again. - Truely amazing atmosphere! I got shivers at several points throughout the game. - Great
    Probably the best MMO I've played to date. Here's a few points:

- Great storyline and dialogues. Most games' dialogues and cut-scenes are just cheesy and expected. In the Secret World they're unexpected, have depth, and define characters who seem unique and realistic.

A lot of my enthusiasm is related to my personal admiration for the types of stories that this game tells. So it is clearly not for everyone. Those with OCD can keep playing and enjoying WoW-type of games with max-levels to reach and crafting skills with recipes to collect. This one is different. Also, it's quite hard. Puzzle quests are difficult, they make you think. It's certainly not for everyone.
  47. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO i ever played, and ive played MMOs since EQ.
    Sandbox game, not holding ur hand constantly.
    Brilliant Quest system, i usualy hate questing, in TSW i love it.
    I always race to end game, here i enjoy the journey thru the game, its amazing!
    Seriously try it, u wont regret it.
  48. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game! I made an account here simply to add to this plethora of positive reviews. Does it still have kinks? It does, but everything from setting, to questing, to crafting is so rewarding, and so interesting that I cannot think of any other MMO that made me so excited. Forget grinding and forget most of what other MMOs taught you. As soon as some of the mission bugs areAbsolutely brilliant game! I made an account here simply to add to this plethora of positive reviews. Does it still have kinks? It does, but everything from setting, to questing, to crafting is so rewarding, and so interesting that I cannot think of any other MMO that made me so excited. Forget grinding and forget most of what other MMOs taught you. As soon as some of the mission bugs are fixed I'll be able to say that hands down this is the MMO every gamer has been waiting for! Expand
  49. Jul 4, 2012
    Most fun I ever had in an MMO. Great atmosphere to support an amazing storyline that keeps me interested and curious. Very challenging ability wheel and build handling, and cunning bosses.
    The PvP has awesome potential, but is clearly hard to balance in the persistant war zone. It will get much much better soon though.
    Graphics and sound is spot on, but I am looking forward to better
    Graphics and sound is spot on, but I am looking forward to better animations and toon (re)creation.
  50. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. Each quest actually sucks you in - as in I remember each quest. The atmosphere makes me feel something, the combat is challenging, most missions force you to use your brain, little hand holding, great graphics. The starting area alone is incredible and far superior to the best zones in basically every other MMO. (wow, tor, aion,Best MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. Each quest actually sucks you in - as in I remember each quest. The atmosphere makes me feel something, the combat is challenging, most missions force you to use your brain, little hand holding, great graphics. The starting area alone is incredible and far superior to the best zones in basically every other MMO. (wow, tor, aion, rift, eve) the developers have really created something unique and more importantly FUN. Expand
  51. Jul 4, 2012
    I've played most of the larger MMO releases since Wow and EQ2 and they all felt the same - until Secret World. It is by far the best the genre has ever offered up. It is obvious the developers sat down with a mission to not only fix all the recurring problems of the genre but really think outside the box and come up with something fresh.

Character progression is open and flexible like

Character progression is open and flexible like nothing that's been done before in an MMO. The attention to detail that's been put into the quests is amazing, after maybe 20 hours of play I've only found about 3 or so "kill x of this monster" type quests. Normally in an MMO try as I might to follow the story I just end up sinking into a grind fest - however the quests here are interesting, quirky and the cutscenes that accompany most of them feature deep characterisation and often hilarious lines. Many of the quests feature puzzles that make you really think.

Everything is structured so that you can play how you want to play and all the boring crap from the genre is removed. Grinding for levels is non-existent, crafting requires no levelling (just the required items), dungeons have a minimum of trash mobs, character progression is completely open, gear is handled separately to clothing so you can set your character up to look how you want him/her to look without sacrificing that awesome bit of shiny gear.

Truly ground breaking for the genre.
  52. Jul 4, 2012
    I had seen a preview of this game about a year ago when I was downloading the revamped Age of Conan from Funcom and thought it would be the game for me in the future. I didn't have a chance to play in the beta, but I tried to keep abreast of what players of the game thought through various third party sites. I downloaded and installed the game on the release date and began my adventure asI had seen a preview of this game about a year ago when I was downloading the revamped Age of Conan from Funcom and thought it would be the game for me in the future. I didn't have a chance to play in the beta, but I tried to keep abreast of what players of the game thought through various third party sites. I downloaded and installed the game on the release date and began my adventure as a Dragon. I just have to say that I was blown away by the rather proficient way the character I had chosen is by degrees drawn in to his adventure. Modern gamers and people in general have 'seen it all before' when it comes to cinematics and attempts at theater, so there is already an inoculation against immersion conditioned into us by environmental factors. But I have to say that the credit to the opening sequences is that it has the power of mystery to draw one in to an otherwise unknown world of lore. I say this in contrast to the games of LotRo and SWtOR, and to a lesser extent WAR, where there is an already established franchise that can at times impede player expectations and directs gameplay in directions that would otherwise appear artificial. The first hub, Kingsmouth, appears menacing and I will say that since I did not have all the time in the world to explore it, I am unsure as to how much open terrain there is there. It appeared that it was fairly open, with possibilities of exploration when I have the chance. One nice feature is that there are some 'easter egg' style missions scattered about. This is what suggests to me that the game will not be an on rails theme park style journey. I like that.
    I haven't had a chance to group up with others, though there were quite a few players in the opening zone yesterday. Chat channel was alive and buzzing, people were friendly and helpful. I look forward to exploring some of the group content in the near future. The skill build system is unique or perhaps is something entirely new to me. Sooner or later I suppose there will be some cookie cutter builds but for now it feels good to have that burden lifted from me, no game should feel like a harness. My only con, and it is not really a con in the usual sense, comes from my own negligence. I give kudos to nvidia for putting together a driver package specifically for the Secret World. I installed it and my older graphics hardware runs the game just fine. However I have come to the realization that it is time to update my hardware, if not for this game but for other games in the future that will demand more from my gpu. This is a minor gripe considering that I have had my graphics card for almost three years and have been milking its longevity. Again, kudos to nvidia for providing the support for this game. I am not sure how AMD people are faring thus far. All in all a very solid game, a very smooth launch it would appear, and I look forward to playing it with friends and family for quite some time.
  53. Jul 4, 2012
    TSW is all over the place -- it has so much potential, but falls short in several ways. The setting, and lore are amazing, as are the cutscenes and voice overs. The investigation missions are really fun, especially if you muddle through them without resorting to guides. Graphically, the game is a mixed bag -- the world is very immersive and creepy, and the creatures look quite good(thoughTSW is all over the place -- it has so much potential, but falls short in several ways. The setting, and lore are amazing, as are the cutscenes and voice overs. The investigation missions are really fun, especially if you muddle through them without resorting to guides. Graphically, the game is a mixed bag -- the world is very immersive and creepy, and the creatures look quite good(though are a bit repetitive). The humans on the other hand? Not so much. Faces look very weird/ugly, and most of the hair looks like Oblivion-mod stuff, all wispy alpha-map stuff that. The characters run and jump very oddly, even moreso when they have their weapon in hand. Character creation is very limited, though there is a good selection of clothing to offset this a bit. Sadly, many of the more interesting options must be purchased using real money from the cash shop(despite the fact that they charge you $15/month). There are no classes, which is a nice change, though the skill wheel is a bit overwhelming when you start. Despite the huge assortment of skills, combat boils down to spamming a resource builder, pressing 2 resource spenders, and repeating(with the occasional cool-down skill peppered throughout). Crafting seems largely useless, and there is no auction house or mail system(though apparently that's coming soon). As someone who has been following the game since it was announced years ago, and is a huge Ragnar Tornquist fan, I am a little disappointed... I was hoping to spend years playing it, but probably won't make it til the end of August. FunCom seems dedicated to improving TSW and I hope they can make this game the gem it deserves to be. Expand
  54. Jul 4, 2012
    It's one of the more interesting games I've had the pleasure of playing. Aside from being firmly ensconced in the modern day world, the appeal of a skill-based (vice level-based) MMO is great. The ever-present backdrop of modern civilization plays well with the story of a constant battle and an inconvenient partnership between rivals seeking to establish dominance. It's quite compelling.It's one of the more interesting games I've had the pleasure of playing. Aside from being firmly ensconced in the modern day world, the appeal of a skill-based (vice level-based) MMO is great. The ever-present backdrop of modern civilization plays well with the story of a constant battle and an inconvenient partnership between rivals seeking to establish dominance. It's quite compelling.

One of the issues with this game about which people incessantly complain is that it also has "kill X number of mob" and "fedex" missions. I have yet to see an MMO that does not. If this doesn't appeal to you, go play a flight sim or a Facebook game as MMORPGs may not be for you..
  55. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was very hardly going to impress me- but it did. I actually found myself doing quests very slowly not to consume all the great details and plot in one shot. I also was very, very sick of MMOs general overused settings and mechanics: we needed some fresh air.

Great job, funcom.
  56. Jul 4, 2012
    This is the finest MMORPG (emphasis on the RPG, imagine that!) I've ever had. In fact, this may be the finest virtual experience I've ever had. Just wonderful.

The game is on to something huge. I can't wait to see what further development does to the game, as well as watching the community grow and thrive over time. This is as close to tabletop RPG gaming as an MMO has ever come.

This is as close to tabletop RPG gaming as an MMO has ever come. It's my near-perfect experience.

Okay, logging back in to play...!
  57. Jul 4, 2012
    Best game on the market now! Great story, great customization on abilities, and much more! The horror aspect and the puzzles you do throughout the world get you really thinking and on edge! (in a good way) The dungeons are amazing! Some people don't like the game because there's no "end game", but don't let that stop you from trying! Funcom will add plenty of endgame. People just needBest game on the market now! Great story, great customization on abilities, and much more! The horror aspect and the puzzles you do throughout the world get you really thinking and on edge! (in a good way) The dungeons are amazing! Some people don't like the game because there's no "end game", but don't let that stop you from trying! Funcom will add plenty of endgame. People just need patience. Game has me hooked for a very long time! Expand
  58. Jul 4, 2012
    For an MMORPG, this game is AMAZING. I was a closed-beta tester, so this is not just a superficial impression. I love open-server technology that allows you to play and join cabals and chat channels with people across multiple dimensions. I love the missions, the cinematics, the environments, and most of all the story, the puzzle-solving and the magnificent community. I took a point offFor an MMORPG, this game is AMAZING. I was a closed-beta tester, so this is not just a superficial impression. I love open-server technology that allows you to play and join cabals and chat channels with people across multiple dimensions. I love the missions, the cinematics, the environments, and most of all the story, the puzzle-solving and the magnificent community. I took a point off for lack of genuine crafting system and player-driven economy, lack of pet-handler builds (I really like those so it's a big deal for me), and lack of tools for players to generate their own content and share it with other players. The developers have promised that the game will expand into those areas in the future. Expand
  59. Jul 12, 2012
    Truly unique MMO among all MMOs, kudos to Funcom for taking the genre to a new level. Do yourself a favour and give it a try you will not be disappointed, and its only going to get better.
  60. Jul 4, 2012
    The theme of the game is very nice, but a few things really takes away from the enjoyment. Very few character options. But the glaring problem (for me) is that you so often have to search Google for walk-troughs to quests.. it just ruins the immersion that the game otherwise succeed to provide. Bottom line, if your not a native language is not English and/or have excellent puzzle solvingThe theme of the game is very nice, but a few things really takes away from the enjoyment. Very few character options. But the glaring problem (for me) is that you so often have to search Google for walk-troughs to quests.. it just ruins the immersion that the game otherwise succeed to provide. Bottom line, if your not a native language is not English and/or have excellent puzzle solving skills.. the game gets boring fast. Expand
  61. Jul 4, 2012
    So, I'm more a PvP person myself (in comparison to PvE). I've played a TON of MMOs out there (probably 25 or so) and my favorite MMO is still Dark Age of Camelot (for the PvP). I stopped playing that long ago and have been searching for something with 3 factions, solid engaging PvP, etc. I saw The Secret World and thought it had a lot of cool ideas and potential to deliver engaging PvP. SoSo, I'm more a PvP person myself (in comparison to PvE). I've played a TON of MMOs out there (probably 25 or so) and my favorite MMO is still Dark Age of Camelot (for the PvP). I stopped playing that long ago and have been searching for something with 3 factions, solid engaging PvP, etc. I saw The Secret World and thought it had a lot of cool ideas and potential to deliver engaging PvP. So as to not write up a 5 page essay, I'll cut to the chase, I LOVE the PvE in TSW. I haven't had such a good time doing missions/quests (since Everquest because it was one of the first for me). The combat is definitely a step up in my opinion than other MMOs because it's a hybrid of having to move around, monitor states, etc, to get the most out of your combos. Though the PvP doesn't hold a candle to DAoC's PvP, I can still enjoy the game and PvP as a secondary activity. Congrats Funcom, I was skeptical at first because of my experience with Age of Conan; you've done well and erased that apprehensive feeling about your company. In short, I love this game. Expand
  62. Jul 27, 2012
    The game doesn't do anything well and copied many bad ideas of past MMOs. The only positive feature is the modern day setting but because it is cosmetic it adds no value to game play. Poor features include: 1) combat animations and abilities need a massive overhaul because combat is boring and the abilities are boring and not balanced well against one another. 2) Player-versus-player (PvP)The game doesn't do anything well and copied many bad ideas of past MMOs. The only positive feature is the modern day setting but because it is cosmetic it adds no value to game play. Poor features include: 1) combat animations and abilities need a massive overhaul because combat is boring and the abilities are boring and not balanced well against one another. 2) Player-versus-player (PvP) needs to be redone, factions have massive population imbalances but PvP is ignored by players due to such poor PvP mini games and also my first point. 3) The story needs a lot of work as whomever wrote the cut-scenes just copied everything from someplace else, TV, movies, books, internet meme, etc. hire a writer. The story often has nothing to do with the quest objectives either. 4) BUGz of the UI, quests, chat, and other random annoyances that are far more common than in other MMOs. 5) Small for an MMO, only 8 combat areas and only 3 regions so geographic and monster diversity is small. 6) To much emphasis on the single player experience, are fewer group instances than recent MMOs and much less group content outside of the instances. This MMO is going to need so much work to salvage and even then it may end up average, I have doubts as to how much post release work will be put into the game. More content was promised but much of the work was done before release. The overhauls to game systems such as combat, PvP, and social features or raid areas must come in a timely fashion. Expand
  63. Jul 4, 2012
    This is one of the most exciting, different and outside-of-the-box games to ever become available. The quests are all top-notch, the story is amazing and deep, the characters feel alive, the WORLD feels alive. The atmosphere is incredible. I can't say enough good things about this game... it's just awesome.

The bad? The chat. The chat system is terribly wonky but they have said they are working on the issues so I won't take a point off for that.

If you're not playing this game - you should be. Well, if you're able to deal with puzzles and difficult encounters. I have a 60+ person Cabal going in this game right now and everyone is having a blast. Funcom dropped the ball with AoC... they slam dunked with The Secret World.
  64. Jul 4, 2012
    Could not recommend more. Excellent horror/sci-fi setting, quests, characters, audio, graphics, and level of immersion. It's like playing an adventure MMO that is also a fine, fine RPG. Given enough effort, you could have a character that can do it all.
  65. Jul 4, 2012
    Not just another dumb MMO.

Real puzzle quests, hugely deep character customization, fast paced hot-key combat, and challenging dungeons with multiple difficulties make this not just another click to win MMO. On top of that you have lush visuals, creepy sound effects and 8+ years of lovingly hand crafted environments that are just teeming with atmosphere, extremely solid voice acting
    Not just another dumb MMO.

On top of that you have lush visuals, creepy sound effects and 8+ years of lovingly hand crafted environments that are just teeming with atmosphere, extremely solid voice acting from major actors and strong writing.

Honestly if you don't like MMO's and wont give them a chance this might not win you over, but if you enjoy MMO's and don't get frustrated when your hand isn't constantly held in character development and quest/puzzle solving... The Secret World is a dream come true.

Also I'd like to quickly point out how shocked I am at other people's comments:

1)"TSW has bad graphics" What game are you playing and are you playing on a 10+ year old system? My PC is 6+ years (with a video card that currently costs $100), runs TSW at medium to high and it looks stunning. Like Skyrim stunning, I guess if those style of graphics just aren't your thing, you are out of luck.

2)"TSW has bad character development" 9 weapon types of which you choose two which give you access to about 120 abilities to mix and match any which way you choose, 7 passives and 7 actives at a time, but also another 60 or so abilities that don't require a weapon that you can mix in without changing weapon types. If that wasn't enough you aren't locked into your two weapons at any time! Switch to any of the other 7, (9 in total) brings the game to almost 600 abilities... Not deep? It couldn't really get much deeper. This comment might refer only to the fact that the skills (another system on top of abilities) system is very simple, but changing this would only allow people to unintentionally gimp themselves and that's a can of worms I hope the gamer world could some day agree to be over.

I've been playing MMO's for 15+ years...think MUDs like at play.net, UO, AO and EQ. I've played every MMO I can get my hands on from then till today... My personal opinion is that The Secret World is a wonderful addition to the MMO genre where there are very very few good new entries, and a lot of silly dumb games.

Thanks.
  66. Jul 4, 2012
    I've never had so much fun playing an MMO. The Secret World delivers never been so immersed in a MMO before. Fantastic atmosphere, fun missions, combat and story. Stability is great with a few minor bugs. Thank you, Funcom for delivering something new a fresh - Highly recommended.
  67. Jul 4, 2012
    Amazing game! so fun and refreshing. Funcom hit a home run on this one. Anyone looking for something different in an MMO give it a shot. I really hope Funcom gets the credit they deserve on this one.
  68. Jul 4, 2012
    TSW is a brilliantly conceived MMO. The horror story elements are excellent and really draw the player into Its virtual world. A big positive is the new skill system which removes the need for leveling. The AP system also allows the player to experiment with different skill sets depending on the situation. A far different MMO from the usual and justly so. Recommended!
  69. Jul 5, 2012
    Refreshing game in the MMO genre. Setting, quests and combat are different from the standard MMO. Dungeons are difficult and skill system deep.

Give the game more than a few hours of your time and it will suck you in.
  70. Jul 5, 2012
    The game has its shortcomings: Animations are edgy and in general inferior to the older AoC, missions are bugged frequently, the character design has preciously few options for a modern-day MMO.
    However, they pale when compared to what the game offers - a truly unique themepark gameplay experience in a genre long thought to be stale and essentially trying to stay alive by perpetually copying itself with merely a few minor aesthetics upgrades.

TSW deviates from the formula of success that World of Warcraft introduced to the world, the one formula that spawned a (felt) billion of poorly disguised carbon copies.
    First of all, the character - not restricted by classes, you can literally learn every skill there is (sadly, these skills are exclusively combat-related, but combat is the game's heart - the one point where it does not deviate from traditional MMOs), and there are plenty. There is no boring and ultimately chalengeless grind to maxlevel, consequently. Usually, MMOs exercise considerable effort not to frustrate even the lowest common denominator, for a frustrated customer is usually not a paying one. As early as the second area (and definitely once you reach the Blue Mountains), TSW ehaves noticeably different - it is relentless, unforgiving, and punishes mistakes swiftly and without mercy. It might even kill your puppy dog without remorse if given half a chance. Baseline: It is HARD. An example: Halfway through the second map, you are met with a soloboss that has the following abilities on top of normal attacks: A channeled PBAoE that hurts anything further away than 8 metres, a channeles PBAoE that hurts anything closer than 8 metres, a mine-spawning mode with a lot of quickly exploding large-area-mines, a casted cone attack (oneshots people), and a casted Area-insta-kill (have to LOS that one).
    With that arsenal, in other MMOs, you'd be a runner-up for instance boss at the least, possibly expansion boss - here, it's a single player fight. ;)

Then, there's the lore and storytelling which is, frankly, awesome. You pick up a book, you usually don't get a simple quest text but a beautiful rendering of a page (sometimes, handwritten), you get postcards, kid's scribbling, photographs...then there's the audio and graphics that mesh together nicely to create an at time chilling experience. A haunted house with ephemeral mad cackle that turns to sobs and back to cackling in one go, a blackouted underground parking where the only source of illumination is your helmlight (the cone of light bobs and weaves with your character's movements), a corroded funpark with a hood-wearing, chainsaw-wielding clown...

About dungeons - they are HARD. I admit that the very first instance (if you are not overpowering it) for me was harder than WoW's Yogg-Saron encounter. You have to know exactly what you are doing there.

Then, there's the investigation quests - if you like WELL thought out puzzles, mind games, browsing the internet for research (the game encourages to you - there are even some sites set up specially for the game like www.kingsmouth.com) and wracking your mind, you'll have a blast.

I fear that it will not be a huge commercial success - rather, it caters to a very specific audience of more mature gamers and distances itself from today's usual fast-food MMO recipe of style over substance. Already, channels are overflowing with "how do I beat X" and "where do I find Y?", and a lot of people are feeling frustrated. It will not be long before they depart and return to their comfort zone where everyone is a hero with minimal effort and almost no chance of failure.

I could talk about this game for pages, really, but I will leave it at that - if you are a passionate gamer, relish a challenge, don't approve of the age-old formula of the endgame grind and itemization spiral, plus you can connect to a weird, contemporary horror setting reminiscent of Lovecraft, King & Co., give it a try. At the very least, the game makes for a rock-solid solo title with a more than decent playthrough time.

Normally, I would give it a score of 9, maybe even 8 (There are shortcomings, though most of them are fixable - if they WILL be fixed is the question, given the developing studio's track record :) ), but for the courage, in this day, time and market, to risk publishing something that creative, that different, that caters to me and people like me (nerds who enjoy being challenged and who crave the sense of accomplishment after completing a hard task following hours of excruciating failure), I'll give it a 10.

Well done, Funcom. After AoC, I never thought you'd pull THAT one off.
    Rarely have I been as glad to be proven wrong.

FP
  71. Jul 5, 2012
    Absolutely love this game! I have actually cancelled my Tera sub because this game will be taking all my time from here out.

If you like Fallout, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and MMOs in particular, then you will love this game.
  72. Jul 5, 2012
    Some of the puzzles present are VERY impressive. Solving mystery quests can offer player a very uncommon flavors of achievment that have been missing from (AAA) RPGs for few decades now. In perfect world, The Secret World would revolutionize the methods modern RPG uses to challenge player. Alas, we live in world where actually investigating art history or decoding morse transmissions isSome of the puzzles present are VERY impressive. Solving mystery quests can offer player a very uncommon flavors of achievment that have been missing from (AAA) RPGs for few decades now. In perfect world, The Secret World would revolutionize the methods modern RPG uses to challenge player. Alas, we live in world where actually investigating art history or decoding morse transmissions is not as fun and rewarding gaming experience as watching the endless parade of talking heads in Bioware games.

If you are gamer who is mostly familiar with AA and AAA RPGS and want to experience some genuinely new ways to get challenged, TSW is well worth a shot.
  73. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in orderIt is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  74. Jul 5, 2012
    An excellent, just-different-enough MMORPG that does so much right and has room to grow. It isn't quite as gung-ho as WoW or even LOTRO, and this is no bad thing. It's a thinking person's game and caters to its target audience so well. The theme and storyline are extremely evocative and well-executed. The voice acting and musical score are a new benchmark for MMO's and challenge even theAn excellent, just-different-enough MMORPG that does so much right and has room to grow. It isn't quite as gung-ho as WoW or even LOTRO, and this is no bad thing. It's a thinking person's game and caters to its target audience so well. The theme and storyline are extremely evocative and well-executed. The voice acting and musical score are a new benchmark for MMO's and challenge even the big-budget single-player RPG's in terms of quality. the difference in the first few hours, getting to know the world of TSW and being sucked in by it compared to getting bored to death of the opening to TOR was palpable. The ability system is deep and customisable, a lot like the original Guild wars system but less cumbersome and easier to map. Combat is satisfying and group play has synergy and depth. The built-in web browser needn't break immersion if you use it to research rather than to just google quest spoilers! Expand
  75. Jul 5, 2012
    TSW is an amazing game. But people will either adore it or hate it. Many people will misunderstand a lot about the game. Simple things like breaking the now traditional hub & spoke mechanic will have people wondering why you can only take 1 quest. There's a reason. A good reason. TSW is about paying attention to the quest, the details, the surrounding. Not rounding up a batch ofTSW is an amazing game. But people will either adore it or hate it. Many people will misunderstand a lot about the game. Simple things like breaking the now traditional hub & spoke mechanic will have people wondering why you can only take 1 quest. There's a reason. A good reason. TSW is about paying attention to the quest, the details, the surrounding. Not rounding up a batch of quests and doing them in the most efficient order to level up. If you skip reading quests or watching cut scenes in games, you can't succeed in playing TSW. "Broken" quests are almost always a quest someone doesn't understand because they didn't read/pay attention to what they were supposed to do. There's more to this game than running from A to B. Not that (at launch) there aren't broken quests, there's been a 2 or 3 in each starting zone, but they are in the vast minority compared to what you see in chat. People have to be willing to tackle challenges by changing and adapting. Being classless means that if you can't defeat a boss, you change your skills up and try again. Some fights are incredibly infuriating and difficult until you realize the linchpin to success and adapt for it. Combat may be the standard hot key tab target variety, but picking 7/7 skills adds an incredible variety and constant new play styles. It also means that while the holy trinity is crippled, it still exists, just that you can shift roles on an instant to satisfy the need. Maybe one fight you need all dps, the next more healing, or crowd control. You are expected to shift your build and adapt, and if you don't, you will fail. This is harder to see early on when you have so few skills, but because more interesting as you do amass more options. By design you are supposed to fail when fighting a boss. When you do fail, you re-evaluate, make changes and try until you get it right. The world itself is amazing, the story intriguing. A one-more-quest type of insatiable game. It is challenging, and after playing I often feel tired, in a good way. In an age where each MMO has had more and more features to make things easy, TSW goes against the grain, and a lot of people will never get over that. But again, the game is challenging without being impossible. It just requires you to pay attention, something which is pretty rare these days. If you are impatient with quests and just want to get to killing, this is not your game. You'll be lost, or googling every 5 minutes, or asking questions in chat which people will ignore because the answer is right in front of you.

If mood and setting and character means something to you, try it. You may fall deeply in love with the game.
  76. Jul 14, 2012
    A new and refreshing style of game that brings difficulty back to gaming without using excessive and pointless grind gimmicks. The graphics look clean and symmetrical to style across characters and environment. The music and sound are very well done and provide an eerie feel to the play. Missions stories are extremely well done building an enthralling story and capturing the essence ofA new and refreshing style of game that brings difficulty back to gaming without using excessive and pointless grind gimmicks. The graphics look clean and symmetrical to style across characters and environment. The music and sound are very well done and provide an eerie feel to the play. Missions stories are extremely well done building an enthralling story and capturing the essence of horror and suspense. Be ready to think, this game is not for the mindless. Missions come in several identified flavors that are categorized for the player to choose these will range from Combat oriented, Investigation (puzzles), Sabotage (stealth), Story line, Dungeon, and PVP. You are limited to the number and type of missions you can have at a time. This is by design in order to keep a relevance to the story progression. At first it seems limiting, but by understanding how the mission system works, it makes perfect sense and works well in its design. Development and Combat: What really makes this game shine is its development system as it is vast in its options and styles. This game does have progression system, not a leveling system. It is centered around skills for weapons and talismans (think gear) and a action point screen of over 500 skills segregated in different focuses (weapons) which provide different approaches to play. The system is broken up into actives (skills you actively click in combat) and passives (which enhance and add various functionality to skills in combat). The system only allows you to equip two weapons at a time and you can only slot 7 actives and 7 passives at a time. At first, this limitation feels constricting, like it is too simplistic, but this would be a poor surface evaluation of the system. Active skills are primarily tied to the weapons, but passives can often be used from all of the other trees. The concept is that there is a "synergy" that can be created between given actives and passives. A given weapon will have a focus of concept (healing/damage, damage/support, etc..) and each weapon provides a different approach to things. The skill system can get extremely complex building various conditions to which amplify certain conditions and effects in combat. There are basic states to the combat such as Hindered (slowed), Afflicted (DoTs), Weakened (debuff), Impaired (stun) and so on. Some actives will apply these states and passives can amplify off of them creating buffs, more damage, healing, special conditions, etc... All of these can be applied with a system of building resources for the weapon with some skills, using finisher skills that work off them and various other skills that provide more complex effects and conditions within combat between them. The system is designed around having you select many different types of combinations of these effects (the more you think and design, the more complex and powerful the synergies between them can be). Not only will you design complex setups between your own skills, but you will also do this in designing a group to work together. The days of "you play tank, I play healer, etc..." while may work ok in this game, restrict themselves from the true power of the system. "Role" thinking in this game is a very shallow misconception in the game. You use ALL the skills, not just a specific focus. There is a lot of misunderstanding of the systems in this game, combat is far from simplistic (it is extremely complex in its subtly) and requires a lot of attention and thought to make it shine. This isn't a button smasher and those who approach it as such have problems and handicap themselves. If you find the system is boring, repetitious and simplistic, you need only look at yourself. You design your class, the responsibility is at your feet. The "talismans" are gear in this game and they operate in an interesting manner. You have 1 head slot, 3 major slots, and 3 minor. Each slot represents a percentage of a 100%, 25% head, 15% each major, 10% each minor and the stats on the items will weight respectively to those areas. This isn't a system of people wearing "class specific" items solely. You will mix and match regardless of your chosen focus at a given time. Overall, this game is not for your standard MMO player. It requires you to think, to slow down, to experience and be responsible for your play. You have to break conditioned thinking of previous MMO's to be successful and see the complexity the system provides. If you approach it like previous MMO's you will have difficulties. An honest score for this game is about an 8 or 9, I gave it a 10 because there are some here giving it a 0 based completely out of ignorance (including some of the critics). This game by far does what few MMO's do, and while some obscure titles out there may have complex systems, this is the first mainstream MMO that gets most of it right. Defintely worth an "honest" try. Expand
  77. Jul 5, 2012
    Between it's 6 year old graphics, boring combat style and linear missions system this game fails on all levels that it promised.

You are unable to get immersed into the game due to a quest limiting system that forces you to complete one quest type at a time.
  78. Jul 5, 2012
    I wanted to like this game. I wanted to LOVE this game. Modern day settling with a supernatural theme and secret societies? What is not to love?

Unfortunately the answer to that is, the graphics, the story and the gameplay. The game is woefully short on content and because of that the developers have implimented a quest limitation system to force you to constantly retrace your

Unfortunately the answer to that is, the graphics, the story and the gameplay.

The game is woefully short on content and because of that the developers have implimented a quest limitation system to force you to constantly retrace your steps to complete missions. (You can only have 1 mission type at a time, so when you find a new mission, you have to "pause' your current mission) then go and complete the new mission, then go back to the first person and then "unpause" the previous mission.

The PvP is standard and borning, as is the combat system.

Such a shame.. it had such great potential, but fell apart in execution.
  79. Jul 6, 2012
    It is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrillIt is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrill shriek. Love how it tests my wits, the many little easter eggs and as many have pointed out; the overall experience. 10/10! Expand
  80. Jul 5, 2012
    I am not quite sure where all the good reviews are coming from, but it doesn't seem to be from the player base, who all seem to be privately complaining about the game.

There are a few "fan boys" for sure, but the public chat has been very negative as are the messages on the official boards (except for the ones stickied at the top). I think people really wanted to like this genre and have been longing for it, but this isn't the game that executes it.

Why did it take 6 years to launch a game with so little valuable content and such a thin storyline? (By the way, the graphics show that it was started many years ago, because that is how it looks).

To make up for the lack of content, the developers decided to make you grind for you levels (ahem, skill points) by making you repeat the same quests over and over OR pause and unpause them to get others done.

I got completely bored after just a few hours of playing and had no desire to continue. Thank GOD I got a code from a friend and didn't have to waste money to find out about this game.
  81. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMO I have played ever, it gets more and more fun as I spend more time playing. Especially combat and PvP I like very much, while character creations is the only thing that is not perfect - but this don't matter at all in this game.
  82. Jul 5, 2012
    Pros: [+] Extremely smooth launch (best of any MMO I've seen, even opened the servers ahead of schedule)
    [+] Love the story and setting
    [+] Diverse types quests. Those who complain about having to look for walkthroughs are playing the wrong game. You are _supposed_ to have to think about this game! [+] The classless system and no limitations on available skills means that (eventually)
    [+] Love the story and setting
    [+] The classless system and no limitations on available skills means that (eventually) you can unlock several roles worth of skills and try multiple combinations (Game allows for 7 active and 7 passive skills on the character at any one time). For example, team needs a DPS? You switch to your DPS skill set, tank? put your tank skills on.
    [+] Most quests can be run again after a timer, so you can help friends out and get the quest rewards again (beats most MMOs I've played where you get little or no benefit when helping out a friend).

Cons:
    [-] Few character customizations as far as facial and body features. (though supposedly will be coming post-launch)
    [-] The number of points to get to having several viable "builds" on a given character will be quite high, but I'm not sure how fast those points will be coming in.

No Experience: I haven't played the PVP yet, but it's not really my thing, I more enjoy solo and small groups.
  83. Jul 5, 2012
    I'm really disappointed in this game. What a huge regret buying this game. I was expecting something fresh. I read some of the reviews thinking the game was fresh. A lot of these reviews makes me think the authors were in a cave playing only WoW for 10 years and nothing else. The game is so dated and clunky that I'm surprised it was even released. The combat is by far the worse. It isI'm really disappointed in this game. What a huge regret buying this game. I was expecting something fresh. I read some of the reviews thinking the game was fresh. A lot of these reviews makes me think the authors were in a cave playing only WoW for 10 years and nothing else. The game is so dated and clunky that I'm surprised it was even released. The combat is by far the worse. It is not new. It's the same old mmo gameplay tweaked to try to be different. Where's the story? It's just a bunch of mini quest that are voiced by terrible voice actors. Where's the unique missions that are not mmo missions? Most of these reviews are lies. I believe there's puzzles in the game but I have yet to see one. Grah, now I have to fight for a refund. Don't make the mistake I made believing this mmo is fresh. Expand
  84. Jul 6, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me because:

This game gets a 10 from me because:

1) Probably one of the most stable launches from an MMO that I've personally experienced. Huge props to FC for pulling it off, showing the world that it can, in fact, launch an AAA MMO. 2) The environment and storyline are at equal with some of my most favorite single player RPG's. 3) The game is beautiful - meet the recommended specs and you won't be disappointed (though, there needs to be more options for character customization, but that is something they are dedicated to expanding as a base product of the game... and the animations they will improve upon moving forward as well)
    4) I love the premise of the game. Conspiracy theory? Occult? Myth and fantasy? Modern day setting? Uh, yes please. 5) Puzzles and investigation missions and general missions that just make you think. A good many of them just require you to pay attention and just think in context of the zone you are in. I really find that attractive in a game.
    6) The crafting and skill system in general I find to be extremely attractive as well. The crafting is a step different from the typical things MMO's do and the skill system provides for a lot of really interesting theorycrafting down the road.
    7) I've been following the game for over 3 years (some of my friends, over 5.)... and I can safely say it hasn't disappointed me. Now, this isn't to say that there aren't some problems: The lack of character customization is a concern for many, but as stated, they've already have a plan to expand it. The interface seems a tad clunky and perhaps my biggest personal annoyance is the clunkiness of the inventory space and how all that is handled, but I am patient about such things. There are some bugged missions that are a consequence of so many people trying to do them at once or just bugged because they are bugged, but the latter are few and far in between. Some aspects are more intuitive than others and this could frustrate some.... and as a result... TSW simply won't be for everyone. For some, it will resonate deeply with and it will become their favorite game ever... for others? It will be a "meh" game or worse, something they will resent. Now, the cash shop is a bit of a concern for some, as I get the argument, but absolutely none of the items that come from it grand power to the player. All of it is aesthetic, just as Funcom said it would be. If you are wary of playing an MMO at launch, then give TSW a bit to percolate. However, if you have a good grasp of what to expect from an MMO launch - jump right in. The water is fine.
  85. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMORPG since the days of the "old school" MMO's. The launch went completely smooth, PvP maps are very well done (and very very large), the graphics are amazing, the ability that every quest in game is a "daily" quest is awesome in my opinion too.

I haven't found anything in game that would warrant a lesser score. Even with a few quests being "broken", you can still complete those on another dimension or run something entirely different that you know how to complete to get the XP you would have from the other quest.

I very much recommend this game to anyone, as it will appeal to the "old school" generation of MMO Gamers, and the new school ones as well!
  86. Jul 5, 2012
    Gorgeous, thought provoking, brain draining fun are three ways to describe Funcom's new MMO The Secret World. Funcom's new MMO The Secret World needs polish and has a few really annoying bugs, but the core game has me hooked. While combat may not satisfy traditional MMO gamers, TSW actually has a very deep combat system. TSW's story and incredibly detailed, beautiful game world makeGorgeous, thought provoking, brain draining fun are three ways to describe Funcom's new MMO The Secret World. Funcom's new MMO The Secret World needs polish and has a few really annoying bugs, but the core game has me hooked. While combat may not satisfy traditional MMO gamers, TSW actually has a very deep combat system. TSW's story and incredibly detailed, beautiful game world make for a compelling MMO. Crafting is very much modeled after Minecraft which is interesting. The quests are real brain drainers at times, and the challenge is a welcome one. At times the player even has to use Google to do a little research. If you enjoy stories of the occult, alternate universes, gothic horror and conspiracy, The Secret World needs you in it's army. Expand
  87. Jul 5, 2012
    The Secret World is an inspired, innovative and transformative take on the aging MMORPG genre. The launch was the without a doubt the best launch I
  88. Jul 6, 2012
    When someone that has no interest in MMO's can be converted to invest in a life time package...after playing 2 betas? I think that says it all. The game isn't perfect, don't come in thinking it's perfect and there isn't any issues...but for a game of this magnitude and ambition, there are always going to be bumps on the road. This game doesn't deserve anything less then a 9. With some ofWhen someone that has no interest in MMO's can be converted to invest in a life time package...after playing 2 betas? I think that says it all. The game isn't perfect, don't come in thinking it's perfect and there isn't any issues...but for a game of this magnitude and ambition, there are always going to be bumps on the road. This game doesn't deserve anything less then a 9. With some of the rubbish that has come out lately, here you have a game that has bent some rules and really tries to engage players with story/atmosphere - but also kept some things neutral to try and build a broader base. Expand
  89. Jul 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing...
    This is by far the best MMO I've ever played. Ragnar Tornquist did an INCREDIBLE job with the story and the game's lore, I'm even motivated to check out his other games.
    Amazing, simply amazing...
    I've played pre-access and I've gotten a lifetime subscription. The setting and atmosphere are incredible and the missions are usually sculpted into amazing ice sculptures while most other MMO's just churn out ice cubes. Seriously, watch every cut-scene. You won't regret it.

The combat system is also very in depth when you look into it. On the outside, it looks like just normal button mashing with a bit of active dodging. However, the real gem of the system is found in creating many different synergies between two weapons and 14 out of over 500 abilities.

It is definitely not for everyone, it targets a niche crowd. However, that is because it IS different than most MMO's.
    It doesn't hold your hand very much, however, and that could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. Personally, I had no trouble at all playing the game. But that is because I had already done my research and knew how to play.

Some investigation quests can be VERY tricky but, in they end, they make you feel smart and determined. Things I wish more people were these days.

Also, EA is only handling the physical distribution of the game. They have absolutely no control in the development process of the games past, present, or future.

For the cash shop? You'd be surprised at how well Funcom has managed to keep it strictly cosmetic with no affect on the gameplay. You cannot buy items or money and you cannot sell, disassemble, or trade anything you do buy. You may not like the fact that there even is a cash shop to begin with, neither do I, but I find the game to have made up for itself and more just because it is so different.

The launch has been the smoothest MMO launches I've ever experienced and so far I've not regretted my decision to get lifetime membership one bit!
  90. Jul 6, 2012
    The game gets a full 10 from me based on the fantastic atmosphere built by the really interesting quests, the story of each and every person I meet, the sound and music and finally the beautiful graphics. My second game I havea lifetime subscription on.
  91. Jul 6, 2012
    An MMorpg that makes you think instead of followiing markers all day long. An atmosspehere that lures you deeper and deeper into the rabbithole. Quests that make you do research on the internet by using an ingamebrowser on RL topics and history. Standart kill and collect quests that never feel boring but instead add small pices of the overall puzzle. exeptional grafical presentation forAn MMorpg that makes you think instead of followiing markers all day long. An atmosspehere that lures you deeper and deeper into the rabbithole. Quests that make you do research on the internet by using an ingamebrowser on RL topics and history. Standart kill and collect quests that never feel boring but instead add small pices of the overall puzzle. exeptional grafical presentation for the genre. A levelless enviroment with 90% repeatable questes in 8 zones right from the start - which mmo gave me that much endcontend right at release? No classes - everyone can play whatever he likes and change his mind about that at any time without having to reroll an alt. 3 fraction PvP.
    Over all: This game is FUN!

Forget all you learned about MMORPG´s - this game does a lot of things a little differend and that in a good way. You´ll need to learn to play it instead of following routines from genre collegues. Take your time and enjoy.
  92. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has consumed me completely since I first logged in. I find the story, the atmosphere, the characters incredibly engaging. Unlike other MMOs I am not grinding mindlessly because it's needed to achieve some trophy, but rather enjoying the journey. The secret world is played in a slightly different way than other MMOs, perhaps at a slower pace, enjoying the scenery as you go. PayingThis game has consumed me completely since I first logged in. I find the story, the atmosphere, the characters incredibly engaging. Unlike other MMOs I am not grinding mindlessly because it's needed to achieve some trophy, but rather enjoying the journey. The secret world is played in a slightly different way than other MMOs, perhaps at a slower pace, enjoying the scenery as you go. Paying attention to detail is necessary to succeed. If you are expecting another WoW you will be frustrated by the challenging puzzles. Otherwise, I recommend the secret world to each and every one of you. Expand
  93. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has caught me by surprise. I've been an avid MMO player since way before World of Warcraft came out and I've pretty much tried them all. For me Funcom has finally brought something fresh and new to the genre. I liked the first part of Age of Conan for example, but the game got dull fast and wasn't particulary anything fantastic. The Secret World is refreshing and has a differentThis game has caught me by surprise. I've been an avid MMO player since way before World of Warcraft came out and I've pretty much tried them all. For me Funcom has finally brought something fresh and new to the genre. I liked the first part of Age of Conan for example, but the game got dull fast and wasn't particulary anything fantastic. The Secret World is refreshing and has a different feel than most other MMOs I've played so far. I'm also a fan of the mystic horror-esque genre and the tons of references they've put into the game. If you're a fan of Lovecraft, Gaiman, Supernatural or similiar, I think you'll like TSWs writing. The combat isn't anything new, but it works. The animations are abit stiff at first but after a while you stop noticing it. The graphics are very good at max. I love the way the skills and "levels" work here in TSW and the story is absolutely fantastic. Writing is suberb, voice acting is way better than The Old Republic, and the quests are both engaging ang surprisingly smart. I can't recommend this game enough to people that are interested in this kind of stuff. Prepare to use your brain and google. Expand
  94. Jul 6, 2012
    I've played my share of MMO's, in fact I played almost everything that is out there in the market. Somehow being in the "living" world with other people is much more appealing to my than a single player game. I joined TSW in beta phase and had mixed feelings. On one hand - I loved the clean, intuitive and innovative interface, on another - I couldn't really immerse myself in the gameI've played my share of MMO's, in fact I played almost everything that is out there in the market. Somehow being in the "living" world with other people is much more appealing to my than a single player game. I joined TSW in beta phase and had mixed feelings. On one hand - I loved the clean, intuitive and innovative interface, on another - I couldn't really immerse myself in the game (which is extremely important for me). But I waited for the final product...

And here it is - The Secret World already live. And... the immersion is extraordinary, the quests are innovative and challenging (investigation quests are absolutely brilliant), and finally the character progression, and complete freedom of it is something I haven't seen since the days of Star Wars: Galaxies. Yes - it's easy to make a wrong build, but even here devs have helped by making it possible to use one of the predefined decks as a guideline.

It isn't an easy game. A beginner might feel a bit lost, but then again we get tutorial videos, which is very helpful, though someone who never played MMO will still find it challenging. At the same time for old MMO players (such as myself) - this is finally something new. I haven't seen a game that I would recommend so strongly for many years.

On top of this all - we have great voice acting, beautifully narrated stories, incredible feeling that the games world brings (I hate playing in Kingsmouth when I'm alone at home in the night.. I actually get scared and slightly paranoid... and I'm almost 30! ;))) ), and absolutely great music that underlines nature of this secret world we play in.

The game is not perfect. We could use more character customization (though the devs already promised that more of it will come after the launch), for complete newcomers it might be overwhelming, and I haven't seen any elves (wait... this is actually a good thing!). But whatever small drawbacks it might have - it's a truly polished gem of a game - absolutely worth giving a try.

If you want to immerse yourself in a complex and appealing MMO, with very unique feeling and quality quests - you should definitely join the Templars, Illuminati or the Dragons.
  95. Jul 6, 2012
    Secret World brings back the hope and innovation to stagnating market. Funcom took risks and we are seeing heck of a pay off both for gamers and investors. Secret World is simply gamer's game. It solves decade old MMORPG challanges with creativity destroying griding, abolishing quest redundancy by bringing real life game interaction and requiring gamers to think outside the box. Good jobSecret World brings back the hope and innovation to stagnating market. Funcom took risks and we are seeing heck of a pay off both for gamers and investors. Secret World is simply gamer's game. It solves decade old MMORPG challanges with creativity destroying griding, abolishing quest redundancy by bringing real life game interaction and requiring gamers to think outside the box. Good job Funcom !!! Expand
  96. Jul 6, 2012
    When I first saw this game I thought it looked "meh" then I took a gamble and bought it and then of course I had my socks blown right off, it's bloody fantastic!!!
  97. Jul 7, 2012
    As an admitted Blizzard fanboy I can honestly say that TSW has effectively pulled me away from the monotony of Diablo 3. Developers should pay close attention to what Funcom has done with this game as it is a stroke of genius. The story is immersive, the graphics are top notch for an MMO of such scale, and the combat is action-packed. If you want a game in which the developer dictates theAs an admitted Blizzard fanboy I can honestly say that TSW has effectively pulled me away from the monotony of Diablo 3. Developers should pay close attention to what Funcom has done with this game as it is a stroke of genius. The story is immersive, the graphics are top notch for an MMO of such scale, and the combat is action-packed. If you want a game in which the developer dictates the manner in which you play, by all means D3 is for you; if you want something vastly different than a never ending loot grind then you should definitely try TSW. Even if you decide not to subscribe, you will find the game worthy of a $50 investment. Expand
  98. Jul 6, 2012
    Finally some refreshment in the MMO genre. Love the quest's and the settings.
    Just be warned, the learning curve is rather steep in this one. There is very little handholding. Great game.
  99. Jul 7, 2012
    Stunning RPG and 90% positive reviews just confirms how good the game is.

Giving it a 10 would mean it is perfect, it isn't but nothing is. By far the best launch of a modern big game in past few years .. just think Skyrim steam issues, Diablo 3 servers .. and for single player games at that. If money is no object, get it. If you are a conspiracy nut or like X-files, its a must
    Stunning RPG and 90% positive reviews just confirms how good the game is.

If money is no object, get it. If you are a conspiracy nut or like X-files, its a must really. Scary in places, creepy, immersive, graphics are stunning, like being part of a good thriller.
  100. Jul 7, 2012
    Immersive world and fresh take on a stale genre. Be warned though, this game requires some thinking (which probably explains some of the negative reviews!). It's not a blind kill-wolves-collect-pelts walk through the park. The investigation missions really shine. Persistent pvp is a little lacking in terms of objectives - but the potential is there. One server design is something alwaysImmersive world and fresh take on a stale genre. Be warned though, this game requires some thinking (which probably explains some of the negative reviews!). It's not a blind kill-wolves-collect-pelts walk through the park. The investigation missions really shine. Persistent pvp is a little lacking in terms of objectives - but the potential is there. One server design is something always welcoming in a world full of multi-server/shard MMOs. Worth a look! 2 days, 18 minutes of game time as of this writing. Expand

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.