8.2

1. Jul 3, 2012
    Wonderful world, interesting story and many, various side quests. Technical issues also very well done. This is MMo what I've been waiting for the long time!
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    This game is by far one of the very best MMORPG I've ever played! The combat is dynamic and responsive, the world is incredible huge and offers a wide doze of variety. The zombies are always fun to kill, and there is a ton of missions that never gets boring! I would recommend this game to people who likes almost every game genre there is, I came from Demon's Souls, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, etc., and instantly fell in love with this game during the beta. In my opinion, this game is a must have! Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2012
    This game has had an amazing launch. Gameplay has been very smooth, and most of the bugs have been ironed out. I've played a lot of mmo's, and for me, what sets The Secret World apart is the skill system and the ability wheel. Best. Thing. Ever. One character. Do just about anything. Progression has never been this much fun. A score of 10 is a bit premature (I have no idea what the end game is going to be like), but I just wanted to recognize how much fun I'm having right now. Expand
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    I was amazed how well the launch went. Experienced no lag even in playfields packed with people.
    The ability wheel is a challenge, but gives so many options to make a build that suit you.
  5. Jul 3, 2012
    This is the MMORPG we were waiting for. Smooth release. Fantastic world. So fun to play. You can play what ever you want. Tons of spells and weapons to test your builds. Just perfect MMORPG.

And the story and Voice over are just amazing. You need to experience this game yourselfs.
  6. Jul 3, 2012
    This is just fantastic, never thought Funcom could make a game that i absolutely L.O.V.E.
    It's not a WOW killer, but i think this can take SWTOR further down.

10!
  7. Jul 3, 2012
    This is not your father's MMO. I had some trouble initially adapting to the game as it's really quite different from anything else. The UI is sparse and it's got a very single-player game type of feel, so you can focus on playing instead of action bar layouts. The graphics are excellent and the overall atmosphere in this game is like none other.

The quests are phenomenal. Instead of
    being lead from zone to zone you are often given quests by random things that you may find; an arm in the middle of the road or a cell phone you find, for example. You are limited in the number of active quests you can have, which I like, because it keeps you focused on the immediate area and its story.

There is also a huge range of quest types. They aren't just your typical gather and kill type of MMO quests either--you're solving puzzles and using items in the environment. Instead of grind you get great diversity, fun and excitement as you look forward to what's coming up next. I expect many, many hours of enjoyment from TSW.
  8. Jul 3, 2012
    Ok, i can take funcom off my hate list. this game is simply stunning. I cannot explain how fun it is to have an MMO set in modern times. Kingsmouth is the single best MMO zone i have every experienced. How funcom pulled this one out of the hat i have no idea. Better voiceover quests that that starwars game, the best writing in any MMO by far. Interesting quests, no more collect x of y and bring to z. HIGHLY recommend this game. This is how all MMO's should be from now on. Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2012
    By far one of the most unique MMOs I've played in years, if not the most. It's questing system is designed to make players flesh out the storyline of the place calmly, instead of going through the rush of plundering hub after hub to reach the max level. The skill system allows for an almost infinite number of unique combinations(although min-maxers will possibly find the best for each role), and designers have incredible freedom with bosses thanks to that. In TSW, we might as well see bosses that requires, in a raid of 10 players(NYI), 8 healers, or, say, 5 tanks, and players will be able to roll with that just by swapping their skills and armor. The combat is your tried-and-true hotbar tab-target, but with a bit more action with the active dodge(just a bit though). This is a game that will make players think as they quest. So far, I've had to decipher morse code messages, decode enigmas, hack computers and even overload a giant capacitor. Where in other games can you do that? All in all, TSW has the potential to break the shell MMOs have been stuck in for a long time. Expand
  10. Jul 3, 2012
    After being disappointed by a number of MMOs that failed to live up to the hype that surrounded them, that were released early, and that all-around disappointed, The Secret World actually delivers so much more than I had dared hope.

It is the best MMO, and among the better games in general I've ever played. The story and narrative is incredible. But the best part is the game design,
    it's completely new. There is no grinding to get to the end game, or to good content; the good content starts straight off the bat, and there's little to no reward for rushing through it.

The missions typically require you to actually use your brain, eyes and ears, and can some times be difficult in a very satisfying manner. Same goes for combat. It's not ridiculously hard, but it does give you a serious challenge. The game doesn't hold your hand.

The world design is amazing. People in it feel real, have character, and have their own agenda (that may or may not align with yours). And it's all jam packed with lore, and more mood than I know what to do with.

The combat controls are fairly standard for an MMO, but attacks can channel while you move around, and a lot of emphasis is put on moving around. There is the occasional buggy quest (so far seems to mainly stem from too many people trying to do a quest all at once), but overall the game is very polished.

In summary, it dares to break from WoW and defines a new generation of MMOs, and sets an example that will very difficult for others to follow.
  11. Jul 3, 2012
    A brilliant and Epic game, a amazing MMO full of possibilities, a great world with numerous quest, a good sound quality and Perfect graphics , and overall 10!
  12. Jul 3, 2012
    is just the game I was looking for the challenge with the phrase "no brain no play" although its built-in browser provides a lot of things and their variation of scripts and missions make you ask for more
  13. Jul 3, 2012
    This is a work of art, I have never played MMORPG, and I am sure more people will get their eyes open for these kind of games. Fantastic...WOW! I´m out of words...
  14. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm a huge video game and horror novel/movie fan as I'm sure many of you are and when this game was announced it seemed like the perfect blend of my two favorite genres. The concept of the game was great, filling a niche of MMO that had never been tapped into with a modern setting and horror basis, but to be honest I was a bit concerned about the execution of such a novel idea. I became more concerned and more than a little disappointed once the first beta weekend had hit. The setting and concepts were great but gameplay and interfacing was very rough around the edges. I was out of town for the second beta weekend, but gave the third another try. Wow. I have never seen such dramatic changes made to a game, especially of one of this size, in such a short time. Gameplay was polished, bugs were dramatically reduced, and more importantly, it became very clear that the developers had listened to the players' feedback and responded immediately. Now that the game has launched, I'm happy to say it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The setting and story are top notch, the visuals are great and combat is very well executed. Launch day, by the way, was pulled off flawlessly. Very few bugs were noted and by the second day of early access they were gone. Given a recent notable launch that did not go smoothly, this was a very pleasant surprise (what a concept, I could actually log into a game that I had bought and paid for). I unfortunately can't speak as to the endgame/high-level content yet, but given the amazing atmosphere of the Kingsmouth territories I can't wait to see Egypt and Transylvania. Questing is almost always more than just "kill 15 boars," and actually has context within the greater story arc. Judging by user reviews here so far and in-game chat, the community of this game has become very passionate about it in a very short period of time. They don't need to hear how great this game is and how "different" it is in so many cool ways, but those people still on the fence do. If you have any level of interest in the genre, give this game a try, odds are you'll be hooked very quickly. Expand
  15. Jul 3, 2012
    The best mmorpg! Great pvp, perfect PVE! I'm really, really HAPPY! The Secret World very bytiful! I love it!
    Tampliers RULEZZZ!!!! And SerbeRUS best pvp server ;)

From Russia with Love
  16. Jul 3, 2012
    I really amazing modern day horror MMO that completely breaks the mold of MMOs. MMOs have always been focused on the combat, but no matter how different you make it, you're still going to be fighting things thousands of times and get bored of it. TSW changes this and instead of focuses on immersing you into an incredible setting and story. The stories are incredible, every single character I've met has been memorable, the environments are just spectacular, and the monsters will scare you. Plus, there are no levels and the skill system is completely freeform, pick and choose what you like and run with it.

This is really a game that needs to be experienced.

Side note though: This game received a Mature rating for good reason. Don't expect fantasy cuteness here, there is constant cursing, drug use, sexual innuendos, and lots of blood and gore.
  17. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm solving mysteries in my sleep! Can't get enough of this game!
    Love the story, the mysteries/quests, the action and the humor. Don't miss the opportunity to play this amazing game!
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    Beautiful world design. Rich story content with highly interesting non-player characters and excellent voice acting. Fun combat that keeps you on your toes. There is a learning curve for character development because there are no levels or classes like in a typical MMO. There is a learning curve for doing some of the in-game quests since they are not typical MMO questing. It is not a WoW clone. Rewarding game for folks who put in the time to understand what Funcom has built for them. I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2012
    If you can answer yes to 3 of these questions: Do you love MMO's and want to try some thing different? Are you tried of the same old fantasy theme? Were you rely disappointed by Star Wars The Old Republic because it is just a wow clone? Looking for a game with a good story? Like the concept of EVE online but failing asleep every time you play the game? Or are you just a sucker for just love killing zombies?

Then this is the game for you!
  20. Jul 3, 2012
    The Secret World turned out to be a fantastic and mysterious surprise that have really grown on me these past few days! I burned out on WoW and SWTOR earlier, and after a buddy recommended TSW I jumped on the pre-order as Early Access was about to start. It's the first time in MANY years that I've utterly fallen in love with an MMO, and this game keeps on surprising me!

There certainly
    are some niggles and some issues, but IMHO they are all outweighed by a true gamers game, a game that takes both story and gameplay systems seriously and which seems to have a depth and a SOUL all of it's own! If you love being treated like an adult in your games, and you're fond of well-crafted story, humour and gameplay I can definitely recommend that you take this baby out for a spin!

Illuminati for the win!
  21. Jul 3, 2012
    A brilliant game with great depth in every aspect. It is story based, but challenges your mind and emotions instead of trying to be "in your face" and "epic" all the time. The pacing is masterfully scripted. Hands down the best story written for an MMORPG, and probably even for a game, that I have seen.

Progression wise you never feel like you've hit a wall that is due to anything but
    the build you've chosen and skill. In The Secret World, though it's a theme park, you can play it like a sandbox most of the time. You will mostly focus on a mission at a time and immerse yourself in it rather than gathering up dozens of quest and doing them robotically like in other MMOs.

The best part about The Secret World is that it puts "RPG" back into MMORPG. There will be choices. There won't be any disconnecting lines of dialogue blurted out by your own character that you would never say in a certain situation. And most of all, you can tailor your character to your own liking no matter what.

There is honestly nothing here to complain about except the chat system, that can be annoying from time to time. So if I could, I would give it a 9.9 - but if there was ever an MMO that deserved top marks, it's this one.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've finally seen MMORPGs evolve!
  22. Jul 3, 2012
    Other MMOs may have better combat but no MMO to date can compete with the Quests in The Secret World. The investigation quest are especially great but the game play and quest blend seamless
  23. Jul 3, 2012
    Just when it seems that the world of online role playing has set into a familiar groove, The Secret World comes along and flips everything on its head, in a good way. We're not talking a complete reinvention of the genre here, but Funcom has gotten pretty damn close in their latest foray into the world of massive multiplayer games.

Where the game truly strikes gold is in the variety of
    quests and assignments availiable to the player. Already from the get go you have access to a wide variety of locations, each with its own special atmosphere and foes. The game does a very good job of keeping the interesting boss fights coming at a steady rate, and for the hours I put into it (nearly 100 beta hours) I never once felt like the pace was getting predictable.

The visuals are just about as good as one can expect from an MMORPG. As with the gameplay, variety is where the visuals really show their colors (pardon the pun). If all you've been playing the last few years is WoW you will need an upgrade, but most new-ish PCs will be able to run the game at high settings without too many hiccups.

The game does need a little polish, but nothing significant is really amiss. This especially holds true when compared to previous MMORPG launches - the dreaded Age of Conan included.

In closing, I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys coherent online worlds but might be a bit frustrated with the rinse-and-repeat mindset that seems to be at the core of most MMORPGs today.
  24. Jul 3, 2012
    I have big MMO experience, and i found TSW amazing. Never expected such game from Funcom. And I have to admit that TSW has practically perfect launch. There some bugs, but most of them were fixed really quick.
  25. Jul 12, 2012
    I really think the "proffesional" reviews are really unfair with this game. This is the best mmorpg i have played in postwow era. I cant beleave that games like SWTOR recieved better score, whats happening?
  26. BMF
    Jul 3, 2012
    Damn this game has blown me away it was the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen. The secret world is a beautiful DX11 masterpiece with no lag whatsoever and stunning locations filled with people and monsters to interact with and what I have seen of the crafting system looks deep and interesting. If you are looking for a new MMO to play and have been disappointed with recent releases you owe it to yourself you buy this game!

PS: I like how the only negative reviews are people who **** up using the slider and still say good things about the game.
  27. Jul 4, 2012
    Having played MMORPGs since 1999 with Everquest, this game is absolutely fantastic. It utilizes a talent system I have not seen since Pre-CU SWG, and it has storytelling unlike any MMO I have ever played. Ragnar Tornquist has outdone his past works, and has made a gem of a story. The game has bugs, but nothing that is not easily fixed with time. The Structure that defines the game is phenomenal, and you are missing out by not buying it and playing now. Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2012
    First ever MMOG aimed at an actual mature audience. You need intelligence, common knowledge and a good understanding of Abilities and how they work together. No Classes make raiding awesome - no waiting on a healer - if you have the spec - respec and go! Excellent Persistant world PVP system. Just love it! Investigation Quests keep you entetained for hours.
  29. Jul 4, 2012
    The Secret World is a creative an innovative MMO. It has a great story, fantastic setting and a great and deep character progression system. The best thing about the game though is the dungeons. They are very challenging and have the highest dungeon quality I have ever seen.
  30. Jul 4, 2012
    A fantastic MMORPG.
    With the right attention aand development, can compete in the MMO market.
    The game has an interesting and dynamic world and story, and feels good to play.
  31. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely amazing MMO which breaks the boring mold of other titles. I love it. The atmosphere, the setting, the graphics are top notch DirectX 11 with all bells and whistles. With a newer GTX graphics card your jaw will drop. Combat improved extremly over the beta too. Missions are full of variety, the story is amazing and gets you hooked right from the start. PvP areas are huge, three faction mega PvP. Finally.. a new non-grindy MMO home I will definitly enjoy for a long time to come and play with my friends who are also in since Beta2. Well done FC, kudos for taking the risk to break apart from the dated WoW concept. Expand
  32. Jul 4, 2012
    It is a long time since i liked a game as much as I like this one. I love the atmosphere. Everything feels alive. The enemies does not stand around looking stupid untill you get to a certain distance. They are actually busy doing something else! I love that you actually have to investigate and think to finish a quest. I actually had to "learn" morse-code in a quest to finish it..... Ok i ended up downloading a program that decoded the morse for me. But i had to figure out the program and stuff I liked it alot. You really feel smart when you figure something out. Very challenging. Have not felt similar since Portal. But Portal was not as exiting. Expand
  33. Jul 5, 2012
    Look at the few vidiots giving this game a zero. Dated graphics my ass, these graphics are state of the art. It appears to me it's the WoW fanboys, they complain because they cant just go out and zerg easymode quests by the dozen. This is the best mmo on the market right now. **** idiots.
  34. Jul 4, 2012
    Probably the best MMO I've played to date. Here's a few points:

- Amazing class-less and level-less system. You can play whatever you want, by choosing from an amazing collection of skills.
    - Very interesting, well-designed and challenging puzzle-quests. This game made questing fun again. - Truely amazing atmosphere! I got shivers at several points throughout the game.
    - Great
    storyline and dialogues. Most games' dialogues and cut-scenes are just cheesy and expected. In the Secret World they're unexpected, have depth, and define characters who seem unique and realistic.

A lot of my enthusiasm is related to my personal admiration for the types of stories that this game tells. So it is clearly not for everyone. Those with OCD can keep playing and enjoying WoW-type of games with max-levels to reach and crafting skills with recipes to collect. This one is different. Also, it's quite hard. Puzzle quests are difficult, they make you think. It's certainly not for everyone.
  35. Dec 13, 2012
    Everything you would expect from an MMO in this genre, which is saying A LOT because I'm not aware of another MMO that uses the supernatural/X-files/Grimm genre, dark humor included. The UI is ridiculously well designed and intuitive. The Graphics are top notch, while Funcom's Game Engine is the most advanced, and has been for a long time. The questing system flows so that you are rarely without something to do, either solo or with friends or pick-up group. dungeons are boss only, no trash mobs, or very little. Crafting is intuitive. landscape is incredibly well done, and attention to environment detail is ridiculous. PVP is great for all levels, and you can theoretically do all your leveling and buy all your gear from pvp'ing. Armor is replaced with Talismans, that are fully customizable and upgradable repeatedly, where a new upgrade just pushes out the old one. players are rewarded for being versatile and experimenting with their setup, and punished for being lazy and trying to be a one-trick-pony. you can save dozens of different setups and switch to them on the fly. Weapons can be skinned, modified, upgraded or even built from scratch and then broken down again when you are done with it. playfields are huge in scope, while the compass system and maps are well done and easy to follow. teaming is easy. dimensions are broken into shards, where anyone from any server can team up with anyone from another server, great if you want to farm an area and its already full. transportation in tsw is fast and convenient. there is little penalty for dying, except that you can either run back and find corpse or Resurrect elsewhere at a well of your choice, or when in a dungeon fighting boss. if you die fighting a boss in a dungeon, you are locked to an anima well, but you can click the camera option and get a birds eye view of the fight from any teammate still in the fight, which helps to learn the tactics if you die and are new to that boss. ----- In conclusion; this is the best MMO in history for those that love the genre, and just hate grinding. you will meet some of the most fleshed out characters in this MMO, characters that remind you of real people. All voice acted. You will constantly be rewarded everywhere you go, and experimenting with weird and uncanny builds will only serve to benefit you in the long run. If you haven't bought this game yet, do it. just be warned: you will not be able to stop playing. Expand
  36. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO i ever played, and ive played MMOs since EQ.
    Sandbox game, not holding ur hand constantly.
    Brilliant Quest system, i usualy hate questing, in TSW i love it.
    I always race to end game, here i enjoy the journey thru the game, its amazing!
    Seriously try it, u wont regret it.
  37. Jul 4, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game! I made an account here simply to add to this plethora of positive reviews. Does it still have kinks? It does, but everything from setting, to questing, to crafting is so rewarding, and so interesting that I cannot think of any other MMO that made me so excited. Forget grinding and forget most of what other MMOs taught you. As soon as some of the mission bugs are fixed I'll be able to say that hands down this is the MMO every gamer has been waiting for! Expand
  38. Jul 4, 2012
    Most fun I ever had in an MMO. Great atmosphere to support an amazing storyline that keeps me interested and curious. Very challenging ability wheel and build handling, and cunning bosses.
    The PvP has awesome potential, but is clearly hard to balance in the persistant war zone. It will get much much better soon though.
    Graphics and sound is spot on, but I am looking forward to better
    animations and toon (re)creation. Expand
  39. Jul 4, 2012
    Best MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. Each quest actually sucks you in - as in I remember each quest. The atmosphere makes me feel something, the combat is challenging, most missions force you to use your brain, little hand holding, great graphics. The starting area alone is incredible and far superior to the best zones in basically every other MMO. (wow, tor, aion, rift, eve) the developers have really created something unique and more importantly FUN. Expand
  40. Jul 4, 2012
    I've played most of the larger MMO releases since Wow and EQ2 and they all felt the same - until Secret World. It is by far the best the genre has ever offered up. It is obvious the developers sat down with a mission to not only fix all the recurring problems of the genre but really think outside the box and come up with something fresh.

Character progression is open and flexible like
    nothing that's been done before in an MMO. The attention to detail that's been put into the quests is amazing, after maybe 20 hours of play I've only found about 3 or so "kill x of this monster" type quests. Normally in an MMO try as I might to follow the story I just end up sinking into a grind fest - however the quests here are interesting, quirky and the cutscenes that accompany most of them feature deep characterisation and often hilarious lines. Many of the quests feature puzzles that make you really think.

Everything is structured so that you can play how you want to play and all the boring crap from the genre is removed. Grinding for levels is non-existent, crafting requires no levelling (just the required items), dungeons have a minimum of trash mobs, character progression is completely open, gear is handled separately to clothing so you can set your character up to look how you want him/her to look without sacrificing that awesome bit of shiny gear.

Truly ground breaking for the genre.
  41. Jul 4, 2012
    I had seen a preview of this game about a year ago when I was downloading the revamped Age of Conan from Funcom and thought it would be the game for me in the future. I didn't have a chance to play in the beta, but I tried to keep abreast of what players of the game thought through various third party sites. I downloaded and installed the game on the release date and began my adventure as a Dragon. I just have to say that I was blown away by the rather proficient way the character I had chosen is by degrees drawn in to his adventure. Modern gamers and people in general have 'seen it all before' when it comes to cinematics and attempts at theater, so there is already an inoculation against immersion conditioned into us by environmental factors. But I have to say that the credit to the opening sequences is that it has the power of mystery to draw one in to an otherwise unknown world of lore. I say this in contrast to the games of LotRo and SWtOR, and to a lesser extent WAR, where there is an already established franchise that can at times impede player expectations and directs gameplay in directions that would otherwise appear artificial. The first hub, Kingsmouth, appears menacing and I will say that since I did not have all the time in the world to explore it, I am unsure as to how much open terrain there is there. It appeared that it was fairly open, with possibilities of exploration when I have the chance. One nice feature is that there are some 'easter egg' style missions scattered about. This is what suggests to me that the game will not be an on rails theme park style journey. I like that.
    I haven't had a chance to group up with others, though there were quite a few players in the opening zone yesterday. Chat channel was alive and buzzing, people were friendly and helpful. I look forward to exploring some of the group content in the near future. The skill build system is unique or perhaps is something entirely new to me. Sooner or later I suppose there will be some cookie cutter builds but for now it feels good to have that burden lifted from me, no game should feel like a harness. My only con, and it is not really a con in the usual sense, comes from my own negligence. I give kudos to nvidia for putting together a driver package specifically for the Secret World. I installed it and my older graphics hardware runs the game just fine. However I have come to the realization that it is time to update my hardware, if not for this game but for other games in the future that will demand more from my gpu. This is a minor gripe considering that I have had my graphics card for almost three years and have been milking its longevity. Again, kudos to nvidia for providing the support for this game. I am not sure how AMD people are faring thus far. All in all a very solid game, a very smooth launch it would appear, and I look forward to playing it with friends and family for quite some time.
  42. Jul 4, 2012
    This game was very hardly going to impress me- but it did. I actually found myself doing quests very slowly not to consume all the great details and plot in one shot. I also was very, very sick of MMOs general overused settings and mechanics: we needed some fresh air.

Great job, funcom.
  43. Jul 4, 2012
    This is the finest MMORPG (emphasis on the RPG, imagine that!) I've ever had. In fact, this may be the finest virtual experience I've ever had. Just wonderful.

The game is on to something huge. I can't wait to see what further development does to the game, as well as watching the community grow and thrive over time.

This is as close to tabletop RPG gaming as an MMO has ever come.
    It's my near-perfect experience.

Okay, logging back in to play...!
  44. Jul 4, 2012
    Best game on the market now! Great story, great customization on abilities, and much more! The horror aspect and the puzzles you do throughout the world get you really thinking and on edge! (in a good way) The dungeons are amazing! Some people don't like the game because there's no "end game", but don't let that stop you from trying! Funcom will add plenty of endgame. People just need patience. Game has me hooked for a very long time! Expand
  45. Jul 4, 2012
    When i first heard about this in 2007 it was a web forum with some enigmas on it. It was called Dark Days are Coming. We didn't even know it was TSW back then, all we knew it was a game and it had Ragnar Tornquist working in it. Thing is, Tornquist is amazing and i had high hopes that we were going to receive an amazing adventure game. It kinda annoyed me that in the end it was an MMORPG by Funcom. Well, whatever. 5 years later TSW was launched. I didn't play a single Beta Weekend. In fact i just avoided the game all i could. I was simply bored of MMOGs. After 6 years of WoW, a few months of TOR and a lot of other crappy MMOs: Aion, WAR, AoC, Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa and so on... I was so tired of the genre. Then TSW came. I bought it in a impulse. Didn't even read about it. And it really impressed me. The graphis aren't really great and character creation could be better but if you are an adult gamer you should not be bothered by it. Gameplay is simply amazing. The combat is fun, the classless system is perfect and the skill system is so amazing i find myself thinking of the many possibilities of different builds. The world is really, really nice. And the setting is amazing. Anyone who really likes conspiracy theories, Lovecraft or some good ol' stories should pick this game. Questing is so much fun, from the average kill those barstards to the innovative investigation and sabotage missions. Once i even had to search the internet for a way to learn morse code to finish a quest. It was simply amazing. All in all one of the best MMORPGs i've played so far. It brings all the innovation the genre needs and it should be played by any fan of MMO Gaming. A must have for adventure fans. Expand
  46. Jul 4, 2012
    This is one of the most exciting, different and outside-of-the-box games to ever become available. The quests are all top-notch, the story is amazing and deep, the characters feel alive, the WORLD feels alive. The atmosphere is incredible. I can't say enough good things about this game... it's just awesome.

The bad? The chat. The chat system is terribly wonky but they have said they are
    working on the issues so I won't take a point off for that.

If you're not playing this game - you should be. Well, if you're able to deal with puzzles and difficult encounters. I have a 60+ person Cabal going in this game right now and everyone is having a blast. Funcom dropped the ball with AoC... they slam dunked with The Secret World.
  47. Jul 4, 2012
    My new favourite game!

I have not been so into a game since xcom in 1994 or GTA 3 in 2001
    TSW sucks you in to its world and never lets you go.

First MMO I really liked. :)
  48. Jul 4, 2012
    Could not recommend more. Excellent horror/sci-fi setting, quests, characters, audio, graphics, and level of immersion. It's like playing an adventure MMO that is also a fine, fine RPG. Given enough effort, you could have a character that can do it all.
  49. Jul 4, 2012
    Amazing game! so fun and refreshing. Funcom hit a home run on this one. Anyone looking for something different in an MMO give it a shot. I really hope Funcom gets the credit they deserve on this one.
  50. Jul 4, 2012
    I've never had so much fun playing an MMO. The Secret World delivers never been so immersed in a MMO before. Fantastic atmosphere, fun missions, combat and story. Stability is great with a few minor bugs. Thank you, Funcom for delivering something new a fresh - Highly recommended.
  51. Jul 4, 2012
    Having played since beta and early access i can safely say that this is the best game i have played all year. It has an innovative skill/leveling system and a great story without pesky elves, orcs and jedis. The graphics are pretty good and it has an great atmosphere. Having been disappointed by Diablo 3 and SWTOR which both got boring within the first month, this looks like it will keep my interest for some time. Expand
  52. Jul 5, 2012
    Amazing game to spend couple of months in it. Awesome lore, modern day conspiracies, magic, urban legends,interesting quests et cetera et cetera. I suppose there also exist some PvP at battlegrounds and PvP zone, interesting skill system, highly customizable equipment, clothing and shiny weapons. The only thing that possibly spoils the game is absence of replayability and as far as we can see no endgame. But for the time while you still have at least couple of quests not done this game surely absorbs you completely. Expand
  53. Jul 5, 2012
    Absolutely love this game! I have actually cancelled my Tera sub because this game will be taking all my time from here out.

If you like Fallout, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and MMOs in particular, then you will love this game.
  54. Jul 5, 2012
    The game has its shortcomings: Animations are edgy and in general inferior to the older AoC, missions are bugged frequently, the character design has preciously few options for a modern-day MMO.
    However, they pale when compared to what the game offers - a truly unique themepark gameplay experience in a genre long thought to be stale and essentially trying to stay alive by perpetually
    copying itself with merely a few minor aesthetics upgrades.

TSW deviates from the formula of success that World of Warcraft introduced to the world, the one formula that spawned a (felt) billion of poorly disguised carbon copies.
    First of all, the character - not restricted by classes, you can literally learn every skill there is (sadly, these skills are exclusively combat-related, but combat is the game's heart - the one point where it does not deviate from traditional MMOs), and there are plenty. There is no boring and ultimately chalengeless grind to maxlevel, consequently. Usually, MMOs exercise considerable effort not to frustrate even the lowest common denominator, for a frustrated customer is usually not a paying one. As early as the second area (and definitely once you reach the Blue Mountains), TSW ehaves noticeably different - it is relentless, unforgiving, and punishes mistakes swiftly and without mercy. It might even kill your puppy dog without remorse if given half a chance. Baseline: It is HARD. An example: Halfway through the second map, you are met with a soloboss that has the following abilities on top of normal attacks: A channeled PBAoE that hurts anything further away than 8 metres, a channeles PBAoE that hurts anything closer than 8 metres, a mine-spawning mode with a lot of quickly exploding large-area-mines, a casted cone attack (oneshots people), and a casted Area-insta-kill (have to LOS that one).
    With that arsenal, in other MMOs, you'd be a runner-up for instance boss at the least, possibly expansion boss - here, it's a single player fight. ;)

Then, there's the lore and storytelling which is, frankly, awesome. You pick up a book, you usually don't get a simple quest text but a beautiful rendering of a page (sometimes, handwritten), you get postcards, kid's scribbling, photographs...then there's the audio and graphics that mesh together nicely to create an at time chilling experience. A haunted house with ephemeral mad cackle that turns to sobs and back to cackling in one go, a blackouted underground parking where the only source of illumination is your helmlight (the cone of light bobs and weaves with your character's movements), a corroded funpark with a hood-wearing, chainsaw-wielding clown...

About dungeons - they are HARD. I admit that the very first instance (if you are not overpowering it) for me was harder than WoW's Yogg-Saron encounter. You have to know exactly what you are doing there.

Then, there's the investigation quests - if you like WELL thought out puzzles, mind games, browsing the internet for research (the game encourages to you - there are even some sites set up specially for the game like www.kingsmouth.com) and wracking your mind, you'll have a blast.

I fear that it will not be a huge commercial success - rather, it caters to a very specific audience of more mature gamers and distances itself from today's usual fast-food MMO recipe of style over substance. Already, channels are overflowing with "how do I beat X" and "where do I find Y?", and a lot of people are feeling frustrated. It will not be long before they depart and return to their comfort zone where everyone is a hero with minimal effort and almost no chance of failure.

I could talk about this game for pages, really, but I will leave it at that - if you are a passionate gamer, relish a challenge, don't approve of the age-old formula of the endgame grind and itemization spiral, plus you can connect to a weird, contemporary horror setting reminiscent of Lovecraft, King & Co., give it a try. At the very least, the game makes for a rock-solid solo title with a more than decent playthrough time.

Normally, I would give it a score of 9, maybe even 8 (There are shortcomings, though most of them are fixable - if they WILL be fixed is the question, given the developing studio's track record :) ), but for the courage, in this day, time and market, to risk publishing something that creative, that different, that caters to me and people like me (nerds who enjoy being challenged and who crave the sense of accomplishment after completing a hard task following hours of excruciating failure), I'll give it a 10.

Well done, Funcom. After AoC, I never thought you'd pull THAT one off.
    Rarely have I been as glad to be proven wrong.

FP
  55. Jul 5, 2012
    Some of the puzzles present are VERY impressive. Solving mystery quests can offer player a very uncommon flavors of achievment that have been missing from (AAA) RPGs for few decades now. In perfect world, The Secret World would revolutionize the methods modern RPG uses to challenge player. Alas, we live in world where actually investigating art history or decoding morse transmissions is not as fun and rewarding gaming experience as watching the endless parade of talking heads in Bioware games.

If you are gamer who is mostly familiar with AA and AAA RPGS and want to experience some genuinely new ways to get challenged, TSW is well worth a shot.
  56. Jul 5, 2012
    An excellent, just-different-enough MMORPG that does so much right and has room to grow. It isn't quite as gung-ho as WoW or even LOTRO, and this is no bad thing. It's a thinking person's game and caters to its target audience so well. The theme and storyline are extremely evocative and well-executed. The voice acting and musical score are a new benchmark for MMO's and challenge even the big-budget single-player RPG's in terms of quality. the difference in the first few hours, getting to know the world of TSW and being sucked in by it compared to getting bored to death of the opening to TOR was palpable. The ability system is deep and customisable, a lot like the original Guild wars system but less cumbersome and easier to map. Combat is satisfying and group play has synergy and depth. The built-in web browser needn't break immersion if you use it to research rather than to just google quest spoilers! Expand
  57. Jul 5, 2012
    TSW is an amazing game. But people will either adore it or hate it. Many people will misunderstand a lot about the game. Simple things like breaking the now traditional hub & spoke mechanic will have people wondering why you can only take 1 quest. There's a reason. A good reason. TSW is about paying attention to the quest, the details, the surrounding. Not rounding up a batch of quests and doing them in the most efficient order to level up. If you skip reading quests or watching cut scenes in games, you can't succeed in playing TSW. "Broken" quests are almost always a quest someone doesn't understand because they didn't read/pay attention to what they were supposed to do. There's more to this game than running from A to B. Not that (at launch) there aren't broken quests, there's been a 2 or 3 in each starting zone, but they are in the vast minority compared to what you see in chat. People have to be willing to tackle challenges by changing and adapting. Being classless means that if you can't defeat a boss, you change your skills up and try again. Some fights are incredibly infuriating and difficult until you realize the linchpin to success and adapt for it. Combat may be the standard hot key tab target variety, but picking 7/7 skills adds an incredible variety and constant new play styles. It also means that while the holy trinity is crippled, it still exists, just that you can shift roles on an instant to satisfy the need. Maybe one fight you need all dps, the next more healing, or crowd control. You are expected to shift your build and adapt, and if you don't, you will fail. This is harder to see early on when you have so few skills, but because more interesting as you do amass more options. By design you are supposed to fail when fighting a boss. When you do fail, you re-evaluate, make changes and try until you get it right. The world itself is amazing, the story intriguing. A one-more-quest type of insatiable game. It is challenging, and after playing I often feel tired, in a good way. In an age where each MMO has had more and more features to make things easy, TSW goes against the grain, and a lot of people will never get over that. But again, the game is challenging without being impossible. It just requires you to pay attention, something which is pretty rare these days. If you are impatient with quests and just want to get to killing, this is not your game. You'll be lost, or googling every 5 minutes, or asking questions in chat which people will ignore because the answer is right in front of you.

If mood and setting and character means something to you, try it. You may fall deeply in love with the game.
  58. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMO I have played ever, it gets more and more fun as I spend more time playing. Especially combat and PvP I like very much, while character creations is the only thing that is not perfect - but this don't matter at all in this game.
  59. Jul 5, 2012
    Best MMORPG since the days of the "old school" MMO's. The launch went completely smooth, PvP maps are very well done (and very very large), the graphics are amazing, the ability that every quest in game is a "daily" quest is awesome in my opinion too.

I haven't found anything in game that would warrant a lesser score. Even with a few quests being "broken", you can still complete those
    on another dimension or run something entirely different that you know how to complete to get the XP you would have from the other quest.

I very much recommend this game to anyone, as it will appeal to the "old school" generation of MMO Gamers, and the new school ones as well!
  60. Jul 5, 2012
    This game surprised me big time, I had no intention of buying this game until I watched a couple streams, but wow its fantastic. The world, music and all has such an amazing spooky, realistic feel. The gameplay is simple tab targeting but feels alot more fast paced than most mmos, not to mention the dodge feature which must be used to evade monster attacks. The variety of weapons, skills, and environments is absolutly incredible. Expand
  61. Jul 5, 2012
    The Secret World is an inspired, innovative and transformative take on the aging MMORPG genre. The launch was the without a doubt the best launch I
  62. Jul 7, 2012
    Amazing, simply amazing...
    This is by far the best MMO I've ever played. Ragnar Tornquist did an INCREDIBLE job with the story and the game's lore, I'm even motivated to check out his other games.
    I've played pre-access and I've gotten a lifetime subscription. The setting and atmosphere are incredible and the missions are usually sculpted into amazing ice sculptures while most other
    MMO's just churn out ice cubes. Seriously, watch every cut-scene. You won't regret it.

The combat system is also very in depth when you look into it. On the outside, it looks like just normal button mashing with a bit of active dodging. However, the real gem of the system is found in creating many different synergies between two weapons and 14 out of over 500 abilities.

It is definitely not for everyone, it targets a niche crowd. However, that is because it IS different than most MMO's.
    It doesn't hold your hand very much, however, and that could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. Personally, I had no trouble at all playing the game. But that is because I had already done my research and knew how to play.

Some investigation quests can be VERY tricky but, in they end, they make you feel smart and determined. Things I wish more people were these days.

Also, EA is only handling the physical distribution of the game. They have absolutely no control in the development process of the games past, present, or future.

For the cash shop? You'd be surprised at how well Funcom has managed to keep it strictly cosmetic with no affect on the gameplay. You cannot buy items or money and you cannot sell, disassemble, or trade anything you do buy. You may not like the fact that there even is a cash shop to begin with, neither do I, but I find the game to have made up for itself and more just because it is so different.

The launch has been the smoothest MMO launches I've ever experienced and so far I've not regretted my decision to get lifetime membership one bit!
  63. Jul 6, 2012
    The game gets a full 10 from me based on the fantastic atmosphere built by the really interesting quests, the story of each and every person I meet, the sound and music and finally the beautiful graphics. My second game I havea lifetime subscription on.
  64. Jul 6, 2012
    An MMorpg that makes you think instead of followiing markers all day long. An atmosspehere that lures you deeper and deeper into the rabbithole. Quests that make you do research on the internet by using an ingamebrowser on RL topics and history. Standart kill and collect quests that never feel boring but instead add small pices of the overall puzzle. exeptional grafical presentation for the genre. A levelless enviroment with 90% repeatable questes in 8 zones right from the start - which mmo gave me that much endcontend right at release? No classes - everyone can play whatever he likes and change his mind about that at any time without having to reroll an alt. 3 fraction PvP.
    Over all: This game is FUN!

Forget all you learned about MMORPG´s - this game does a lot of things a little differend and that in a good way. You´ll need to learn to play it instead of following routines from genre collegues. Take your time and enjoy.
  65. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has consumed me completely since I first logged in. I find the story, the atmosphere, the characters incredibly engaging. Unlike other MMOs I am not grinding mindlessly because it's needed to achieve some trophy, but rather enjoying the journey. The secret world is played in a slightly different way than other MMOs, perhaps at a slower pace, enjoying the scenery as you go. Paying attention to detail is necessary to succeed. If you are expecting another WoW you will be frustrated by the challenging puzzles. Otherwise, I recommend the secret world to each and every one of you. Expand
  66. Jul 6, 2012
    It is a bit early to score such a big game; after all I haven't seen half of it yet (by far), so regard this as my initial impression. I have never been as engaged in a game (of any genre) as I have in this secret world. My heart was literally pounding as I avoided guards in a dark parking house, and I physically jumped out of my chair one time when a ghost jumped out at me with a shrill shriek. Love how it tests my wits, the many little easter eggs and as many have pointed out; the overall experience. 10/10! Expand
  67. Jul 6, 2012
    This game has caught me by surprise. I've been an avid MMO player since way before World of Warcraft came out and I've pretty much tried them all. For me Funcom has finally brought something fresh and new to the genre. I liked the first part of Age of Conan for example, but the game got dull fast and wasn't particulary anything fantastic. The Secret World is refreshing and has a different feel than most other MMOs I've played so far. I'm also a fan of the mystic horror-esque genre and the tons of references they've put into the game. If you're a fan of Lovecraft, Gaiman, Supernatural or similiar, I think you'll like TSWs writing. The combat isn't anything new, but it works. The animations are abit stiff at first but after a while you stop noticing it. The graphics are very good at max. I love the way the skills and "levels" work here in TSW and the story is absolutely fantastic. Writing is suberb, voice acting is way better than The Old Republic, and the quests are both engaging ang surprisingly smart. I can't recommend this game enough to people that are interested in this kind of stuff. Prepare to use your brain and google. Expand
  68. Jul 6, 2012
    This game gets a 10 from me because:

1) Probably one of the most stable launches from an MMO that I've personally experienced. Huge props to FC for pulling it off, showing the world that it can, in fact, launch an AAA MMO. 2) The environment and storyline are at equal with some of my most favorite single player RPG's. 3) The game is beautiful - meet the recommended specs and you won't
    be disappointed (though, there needs to be more options for character customization, but that is something they are dedicated to expanding as a base product of the game... and the animations they will improve upon moving forward as well)
    4) I love the premise of the game. Conspiracy theory? Occult? Myth and fantasy? Modern day setting? Uh, yes please. 5) Puzzles and investigation missions and general missions that just make you think. A good many of them just require you to pay attention and just think in context of the zone you are in. I really find that attractive in a game.
    6) The crafting and skill system in general I find to be extremely attractive as well. The crafting is a step different from the typical things MMO's do and the skill system provides for a lot of really interesting theorycrafting down the road.
    7) I've been following the game for over 3 years (some of my friends, over 5.)... and I can safely say it hasn't disappointed me. Now, this isn't to say that there aren't some problems: The lack of character customization is a concern for many, but as stated, they've already have a plan to expand it. The interface seems a tad clunky and perhaps my biggest personal annoyance is the clunkiness of the inventory space and how all that is handled, but I am patient about such things. There are some bugged missions that are a consequence of so many people trying to do them at once or just bugged because they are bugged, but the latter are few and far in between. Some aspects are more intuitive than others and this could frustrate some.... and as a result... TSW simply won't be for everyone. For some, it will resonate deeply with and it will become their favorite game ever... for others? It will be a "meh" game or worse, something they will resent. Now, the cash shop is a bit of a concern for some, as I get the argument, but absolutely none of the items that come from it grand power to the player. All of it is aesthetic, just as Funcom said it would be. If you are wary of playing an MMO at launch, then give TSW a bit to percolate. However, if you have a good grasp of what to expect from an MMO launch - jump right in. The water is fine.
  69. Jul 6, 2012
    Secret World brings back the hope and innovation to stagnating market. Funcom took risks and we are seeing heck of a pay off both for gamers and investors. Secret World is simply gamer's game. It solves decade old MMORPG challanges with creativity destroying griding, abolishing quest redundancy by bringing real life game interaction and requiring gamers to think outside the box. Good job Funcom !!! Expand
  70. Jul 6, 2012
    When I first saw this game I thought it looked "meh" then I took a gamble and bought it and then of course I had my socks blown right off, it's bloody fantastic!!!
  71. Jul 7, 2012
    An MMO so very different than anything ever made in the name that is MMO.
    A very dynamic combat, dynamic graphics, and a truly new, with everything it has... new gaming experience...
    Funcom has achieved something other companies so many times had failed to do so, doing something new.

All those games with their clicky skills, simpler and simpler user interfaces just to attract more
    players can just learn so much from it. Expand
  72. Jul 7, 2012
    I am giving this game a 10 not because it is perfect but because so far it has greatly exceeded my expectations. First game in a long time in which I lose all track of time. Very deep game. The launch was so smooth it did not feel like a launch. I was early access and have been dc'd twice in 8 days and have had no stuttering, lag or rubber-banding. The game play is centered more on story, problem solving and the like so if that is not something you like this isn't a game for you. Expand
  73. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is the best mmorpg ever made,no elves or other, be what you want and dont worry about lvl`s
    the quests are great,always good option in quests solve a mystery or shoot your way thru,not the ordenary boring wall of text when you get a newmission...it is really amazing
  74. Jul 7, 2012
    Awesome game. Best MMORPG I have played in a long time. Unique and fun. Highly recommended. Enjoy the lore and the quest - rich and good voice acting. Love the skill system and the "leveling".
  75. Jul 7, 2012
    I have 32 years of gaming experience,video and PnP,and this is NOT a standard MMO.You actually have to read,investigate,and pay attention.About time there's a modern day MMO,and about time the combat lets you run n gun instead of getting rooted when you use an ability.I love it!
  76. Jul 7, 2012
    The combat can take some getting used to but overall the game is unique in the cluster of current mmos. The story is excellent (even with a mute character). The areas are entertaining especially Transylvania. The ability wheel and the flexibility of changing your playstyle on the fly is a game within itself. The dungeons are all unique and do not hold your hand. One of my favorite features is everyone can play with everyone. You can play with people from other dimensions (servers) at any time by joining a group and moving to their server for a guest session. General chat and looking for group are also cross server. PvP can seem daunting at first and you will get crushed if you attempt to join Fusang and the large scale battles. However if you enter with decent q10 gear the experience is fun. There are still bugs to be worked out and broken quests. But overall I havn't played a game in recent memory I wanted to play as soon as possible again after I stopped playing. Expand
  77. Jul 7, 2012
    An incredibly intriguing game that blows away the self-imposed limitations of the MMORPG genre. It won't appeal to everyone.. some players might be unwilling (or unable) to bring more than button-mashing skills to the table. With every ability in reach of every player, and a geometric explosion of potential interactions between them, you will spend a portion of your game time just perusing the possibilities. Now, there are defined roles.. The Secret World kept the mechanic of 'aggro', so tanks, healers, and DPS still exist. The main difference is that anyone can be any of the three, with a simple click to change the active gear and abilities to be used, at any point outside of combat. And soloers will be able to create hybrids with just the right mix of the three concepts for their playstyle.

A concerted effort has been made to offer a challenge while completing missions. A vague outline of 'kill 10 rats' is all that is left, with the vast majority of assignments involving deduction, exploration, and an occasional Internet search of both real and alternate-reality websites. You don't have to continue wishing for something 'new'.. something 'better'.. something 'more challenging'. It's here.

It's The Secret World.
  78. Jul 7, 2012
    As a 35+ year old player who started back in EQ, I've been shopping for a game that captures what seems to have been missing from a lot of AAA titles the last few years. Then along came The Secret World. After the first four hours I immediately bought a life time subscription, THIS was the game I've been searching for.
    Questing is not a chore, in fact, questing in TSW is smart,
    refreshing, and adds to your lore knowledge of the overall sweeping plot. Leveling up puts you in the driver seat. Although daunting at first because of the amount of options it's easily picked up. When I'm actually not playing the game I find myself thinking about different build types and fun combinations to try out. There is no cookie cutter correct build, it all works and even though there are "Decks" Funcom has created to model how leveling can work, the really good Decks are the ones you create.
    The story, the lore, the fun. When you step into the starter area Kingsmouth, you're immediately pulled into atmospherically rich story. Like an entertaining book, the lore does an amazing job with rich, deep, smartly written storytelling. When you add in the "investigation" quests which require you to use your brain and open up the built in Google Browser. Research, deduction, and perseverance will allow you to solve one of the best features of the TSW.
    Combat in the game is similar to other MMO's however its dynamic combat similar to Tera. You have to pay attention to the monsters, dodge attacks, and learn to constantly move. Funcom has not dumbed down any of the enemies to make this an MMO with hand holding. Learning is usually through the school of hard knocks and expect to die, a lot. But, that's part of the fun!

One word of caution, this game really means "M" for Mature players. Language, sexual situations, brutal violence means this game is meant for adults.

Solid 10 out of 10. Do yourself a favor, pick this game up, you wont regret it.
  79. Jul 7, 2012
    The Secret World is an MMORPG by game developer Funcom that includes a real-world setting in which all legends and myths are real. If you have read and enjoy the Da Vinci Code or other Dan Brown novels staring Robert Langdon this is a game with a setting you will find exciting. The Secret World takes it a step further by embracing the supernatural. The Secret World sets itself apart from other games in this genre with excellent character development customization that allows you to evolve your character overtime into pretty much anything you want, as lnog as you are willing to invest the time in getting there. The character visuals are solid, and there are a high number of clothing options to differentiate your look (which are for vanity only). Character stat upgrades come from generally non-visible rings, necklaces, talismans, and the like. Once weakness is the initial character customization process, which was surprisingly limited.

Unlike modern trends in MMOs, your decisions have meaning and cannot be reset. As previously stated, you can evolve your character into anything, but you will need to invest the time to do that, rather than paying for a quick 'character reset'. The upside of course is that you still retain all previously learned skills and abilities. Graphics are average, but the artistic design is supurb and accompanied by outstanding audio (on all fronts - vocals, sound effects, and music). Animation in general is on the weaker side, and if you have played previous Funcom titles you know what to expect. Bottom line: This game is a breath of fresh air in a genre that is just no longer as fun as it used to be... The world is filled with lush detail, excellent quests, and great art and sound design. If you have any interest in exploring the fantasy of what could be behind the curtain the in the 'real world', the Secret World is worth every penny.
  80. Jul 7, 2012
    The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance, it requires human beings to use their brains, and think about what they're doing. No hand holding, no compromises, and a story that makes Bioware look pathetic are what ties this game together, flaws and all. Sure, there are launch bugs, there are some quests that loop, but they are but small smudges on the beautiful tapestry that Funcom has woven. This is what Age of Conan should have been, and now we have the first modern day MMORPG that firmly looks at critics who prefer spoon fed versions of World of Warcraft and spits in their faces. Go on, give it a 60, give it a low user score, only the ignorant would throw stones at their superior's. Expand
  81. Jul 8, 2012
    Best MMO since i played Everquest 1. Very great Storyline and Lore, well i love the mix between HP. Lovecraft, Steven King, Conspiracy and Bedtime Horror Stories.
    The Combat-System has very smooth Animations, it's really Fun to watch. It's easy to play too if you got into the Skills. 7 Active and Passive Skills makes the Stuff very easy to Handle. The Skill-Wheel is a bit hard to
    understand if you're not reading the Description from each Skill.

All in all : Really one of the Best MMO's since a long very long Time. Thanks Funcom !
  82. Jul 8, 2012
    A reviewer named 'samdean' gave this game 0 because he thinks it has classes, levels, and is linear. Well, earning skill points ad infinitum that you can spend anywhere and theoretically do anything the game allows isn't 'classes and levels.' Further, I haven't TOUCHED the main quest on the island yet, I just keep running across new side things to do. It's really great! Finally this guy who gave the game a zero said he's going back to Diablo III. Hilarious! That game is terrrrrible! Zero funs! I uninstalled after like a month! And I played Diablo II for years, and even Diablo. Anyway, just had to counter that terrible review with the truth. This game is amazing. Combine Left 4 Dead with Alan Wake and make it an MMO and this is what you have. Don't believe the AstroTurf on this site, and don't believe the terribly written euro pro reviews. Expand
  83. Jul 8, 2012
    No, this game is not for everyone but it is for those who seek a strong story, powerful atmosphere, a helpful and growing community and puzzling quests that will stretch your mind. As with any launch, there have been bugs but they have been fixing the glitches. Anyone worried about the cash shop should know it is clothes, vanity pets and vanity titles only. There are no potions or weapons or armor to P2P. Expand
  84. Jul 8, 2012
    I have played MMOs since UO. By the early days of WoW, I was burned out. Nothing was new. This game brought me back to MMOs, and the overall quality will keep me for a while. It is unlike anything else out there in the MMO-space. Sure, there are problems. Every game has them. As I am writing this just 6-days after release, it is the smoothest MMO release I have ever seen. Most importantly, they recognize and have acknowledged some of the game's biggest remaining issues. Which means, they will get fixed. That level of support for a game is refreshing. Having gone through too many game release debacles, from PC games to PS3 to XBox360, I am pleased to not see it here. They have acknowledged the problems, and will not let them build. Expand
  85. Jul 8, 2012
    The Secret World is a very unique Massively-Multiplayer Online game that I have enjoyed playing more than any other MMO to date. As such, I give it a 10!

The imaginative life breathed into the game world really impressed me. I have never seen a game that was this well executed before. Launch-day issues seem also to be very minimal compared with other recent releases, so they've
    really pulled it all together and were able to deliver.

If you don't know, much of the vision behind the Secret World came from Ragnar Tornquist and his team, the people who created The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Those were, to date, two of the best adventure games on the market, known for their remarkable story and environments. So, when they announced an MMO and picked up a crew experienced in creating them, I was of course very interested to see how it would turn out. The, let us call it "adventure-focus", translated into some really exceptional and unique quests that are very fun to complete, and a meaningful world replete with characters and monsters that are not arbitrarily placed.

One of the areas I was concerned about was combat, since adventure games typically don't focus on that and it's such an important element of MMOs. Well, after playing about 12 hours and dispatching countless minions of darkness, I can say that they delivered! It shocked me that the combat system was so well thought out and executed, it's actually engaging and fun - something I haven't experienced at all in other MMOs. There are currently just over 500 abilities you can train and build your skill deck with (which can consist of seven active and seven passive skills at a time). For different combat situations, you may need to use different skill builds with different synergies to accommodate.

The crafting system is quite different than other MMOs, and is one system which perhaps could use some expanding. There are no gathering professions, per say, and everyone can break down items into their raw materials and then combine those raw materials to upgrade their quality or create different items. I haven't spent too much time there, yet, so I will reserve my judgment on it.

Overall, a great and unique MMO. If you haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to take the plunge!
  86. Jul 8, 2012
    TSW has a great atmosphere and a well written story. At times it feels a bit like a single-player game (story-telling and some single player instances), but it is most certainly an MMO (Dungeons, PvP, group content). It manages to combine this in a fascinating way.

The quests are never boring. My favourite part of the game so far are the dungeons though. The boss mechanics are amazing
    fun and good rewards are provided for groups that work together in the form of quality loot and ability + skill points. It makes a lot of sense to run the dungeons!

If you like PvE/dungeons that are challenging and fun I HIGHLY recommend this game.
    The combat is standard MMO-combat, but with an ability system of 500+ abilities that makes it MUCH more fun and deep than the first impression may provide.

In my opinion the games weakest spot so far is that the first few hours spent in the game feel unfamiliar and a bit underwhelming when it comes to combat. This is because you have a low number of abilities at your disposal and no flexibility. I believe reviews that highlight combat as a weak point in the game unfortunately only scratched the surface of choices and flexibility before spewing a premature review.
  87. Jul 8, 2012
    An incredible new spin in an increasingly stale genre. Like the fluid mechanics of Guild Wars 2 mated with the environment of Silent Hill, all while wearing a tinfoil hat. It may not be the WoW-killer everyone seems to so desperately need, but it does one better: It does it's own thing and allows all the WoW-clones to limp about their sorry business undisturbed. If nothing else, give it a shot right up until the first Investigation quest. From then on, Im confident you will be hooked. Expand
  88. Jul 8, 2012
    Best MMOs in years! Very nice setting, cool quest et cetera. And the best lauch of them all. Since its a Funcom game, I guess you can say practice made perfect!
  89. Jul 9, 2012
    Been playing this game for almost 80 hours now (and only about 1/4 done) and have to say it is has been one of the most thrilling mmo experience i have ever had.
    Also the playerbase atleast on Arcadia seems to be mostly mature and very little whiners and gold spammers (atleast yet). Congratulations are in order to both Ragnar and Funcom for delivering this masterpiece :-) A++
  90. Jul 9, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs for over a decade now, and not since the original iteration of SWG has a game stunned me the way Secret World has. This MMO sets itself apart from a field of rather lackluster and dated games in every way. The combat is fantastic, coupled with a skill-based leveling system that lets you create a truly unique build. The world that Funcom has created for this game is mind-blowing, and the attention to detail is nothing short of incredible. Having experienced the dreadful AoC launch, I was incredibly wary that this game would suffer a similar fate, but to my surprise it has had the smoothest launch of any MMO I've ever played. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking to break away from the typical WoW-like MMOs, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  91. Jul 9, 2012
    This is a great game for grown ups. Has content for both solo and team play. Fun quests and interesting character development. A lot to learn about. Must have!
  92. Jul 9, 2012
    I've bought TSW just for "kill the time". After some days, i had to admit that it is one of the best MMO i've played in a long time. "Think out of the box" is the key for TSW, since you can surely enjoy killing stuff in your OWN way with a totally customizable ability tree (wich is a wheel, actually), but you HAVE to THINK when playing it. I found myself doing research, calling a friend asking "Ehi man, what you about Morse Code? I'm stucked with a quest!" (followed by his "what in the...?"), checking wikipedia, youtube, and more in order to complete the quests, wich are, together with the mood and the versatile combat, the awesome part of this, by me, innovative and very, very smart MMORPG.

P.s. the main char can't talk (yeah, sad) but the NPC dialogs are something...stunning and charming

I admit it: this game is a piece of art.
  93. Jul 9, 2012
    I've been playing MMO's since UO Beta back in 97. TSW was the first game that actually got me to learn the lore and go through the quests while listening to them. It's intelligent - challenging - and has plenty of tongue in cheek references for all of us who love science fiction / horror.

Try it and get into the story. You wont regret it - Guaranteed hours of fun.
  94. Jul 9, 2012
    Simply Put: Great Game with lots of innovation. The Best MMORPG I've played to date. That list includes Warhammer Online, Eve Online, World Of Warcraft, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, SWTOR, Tera, Rift and probably a few more.

Character customisation is amazingly thorough - You have hundreds of abilities you can pick and choose from, and every player in the game is limited to 7 active and 7
    passive abilites to equalise players and to force people to choose roles - although you can change your role as soon as you're out of combat. So One Minute you're a healer, the next you're the Main Tank and a few moments later you're the highest DPS character out there - and its all the same character!. You can pick and choose exactly what abilities you want to have, and exactly where you're strengths and weaknesses are. I chose an AOE Tank (Swords + Chaos) where my weaknesses were single target DPS, healing and ranged attacks. My mate chose healing and single target ranged DPS (Blood and Pistols) where his weakness was primarily AOE DPS and Damage Mitigation. That said, a few hours of gameplay to get more points, and We could completely swap roles. That being said, expect to spend some time wondering "what is the next ability I want to unlock"... At one stage I had 102 points I hadn't put into skills because I couldnt make up my mind (the cheapest skills are 1 point, the most expensive are 50 points)

Hostile creatures also display their AOE shapes and ranges which permits an effective use of the "dodge" system where you can double tap a directional arrow (or shift+WASD) to quickly roll out of the way. This allows any player, regardless of how much experience they have in the game or with that particular creature, to fight effectively. You don't need to "Learn the Fight" as much as previous MMORPG's, and thus you can lose yourself in the fight a lot easier, not having to worry about what else is happening around you - its all on your screen right there in front of you!

You can wear a good variety of clothing (which has nothing to do with stats) and your gear that gives you stats are NOT visible - except your weapons - so you choose your look, keep it, change it... whatever. I played a female, bought a nice leather coat (with in-game money - not RL money), new boots, jeans, shirt and sunnies, and now she's breaking hearts AND bones.

Then theres the quest system - theres thousands of quests and all neatly organised into Tiers. For example - you pick up a quest and it says "Dawn of the Endless Night 1/16" which lets you know the quest name, and that there's 16 missions in that chain - which all auto update as you complete each section. There is a questlog, although you rarely need to use it as you're restricted in the number of quests you can hold - but this should be considered a feature. In all my time playing, i've never felt restricted by this, but actually felt more organised as it does away with all the clutter of quests you forget about. Theres an amazing variety too - the normal "kill people" or "Pickup these objects" but theres also "Dodge the landmines", "Use these clues and the Internet to work out the answer", "Find the hidden objects", "climb the geography" and a myriad of other quest types not normally found in MMORPG's. Add that to the fact you can easily go back and re-complete most quests again (after a day or two cooldown) for a significant amount of XP, It allows you to introduce new friends to the game without rolling new alts.

Meeting up with freinds is easy, just right click their name and select "meet up" and you'll teleport to the nearest Anima well (AKA: Graveyard) to them. You'll also teleport to their Dimension (AKA: Server) if they are on another Dimension.

There are a number of bugs, but that is to be expected in any new release. None are game breaking and most of the quest related bugs can be worked around by changing dimension (similar to changing server - except you can do it in-game without logging out)

Overall: A Solid Game which will only get better. If you enjoy the MMORPG Genre this is definately a Must-Get, even if only to see all the innovation which can be brought into the genre.
  95. Jul 10, 2012
    Game of the year! Fantastic atmosphere, great questing and beatiful visuals and music. This is also a game with huge potential, as there is a wealth of myths and legends waiting to be brought into the game. I came from SWTOR, and this is so much better. Recommended for everyone able to immerse themselves in a game. I got the lifetime subscription ;)
  96. Jul 10, 2012
    This game is beautiful !!! No game can be compare !!!! Its a unique one !! I would recommend this to all people who is mmo fan and want hard play and have fun with good people !!! Try it its excellent !!!!!
  97. Jul 15, 2012
    Simply amazing.great lore,great story.some minor bugs but nothing could take me away from this S h i t .pretty cool entertainment..the game is very mature.
  98. Jul 10, 2012
    THIS GAME IS EVERYTHING I DIDN'T THINK I COULD GET IN AN MMORPG!!!!
    This game has got to get a 10 from me. The subject matter is great, the setting is excellent, and the missions are fresh and well crafted. The combat, although admittedly not the strongest aspect of the game, is still very responsive and fun as well as easy to learn but hard to master. This is not an MMO for people who
    want another WoW clone that holds your hand through quests and allows you to slam your face on the keyboard to beat every enemy that comes your way (aka the people that give this game a bad rating) People claim they want innovation in video games, well The Secret World has innovation in spades. So far some of the biggest complaints I have heard are that it is hard, there are bugs, and that it is story based. Yes this harder than most MMOs but thats what makes it fun. The fighting makes you think out your battles before you run in guns blazing (sometimes literally in this game) and because of this feels more rewarding when you do succeed. As for the puzzles and investigative missions, THEY ARE PHENOMENAL!!! They are tough and definitely make you think but they are such a new twist on the normal quests you see in the genre and are extremely fun to play through. They are hard and are meant to challenge you, that is why FunCom put a web browser in game. As for the bugs issue, what new MMO have they played that was released completely bug free?? The fact of the matter is that MMOs are difficult to make and it is impossible to foretell bugs that might be found in the game, on the other hand FunCom has done an EXCELLENT job in addressing these issues and has already had one fixer patch put into place and is already planning for another patch to come out soon. They are responding quickly to problems that the players point out and that shows that they genuinely are doing their best to make the experience the best that it can be for the players. As for the complaints about it being story driven, I don't know what else to say other than to go back to WoW. If you don't want a very interesting story with great voice acting then this is not the game for you. The game is replayable with the 3 different factions and even if the missions are inherently the same between the 3 there is so much content and the game is so fun that it is easily replayable, not to mention the elite and nightmare dungeons, lairs, 24 world bosses, and 3 regional bosses that are there for endgame content or the fact that FunCom has 7 YEARS of content planned for release. They have thought ahead and plan to expand on an already vast and interesting world. There are also plenty of achievements to strive for for achievement hunters as well as hundreds of pieces of "lore" (this games version of collectibles) to hunt for and learn more about the urban legends and history of the locations in game. I can't say enough good things about this game and I sincerely hope it does well. There are definitely shortcomings with bugs and the combat but the overall experience definitely outweighs these. I implore you to give this game a try and see that MMOs can be deep enjoyable experiences and more than just WoW clones. I love WoW but it is nice to finally see something new in the genre, I just hope the fact that it is "different" doesn't scare gamers away, GO TRY THIS GAME NOW!!!!:) Expand
  99. Jul 10, 2012
    I couldnt really believe it - Funcom released a close to flawless game(!) I couldnt hardly find any bugs, and no major ones. The history, missions, great voice acting, the skill-tree, crafting and the modern world setting is both original and intriguing, so this game works for me! I did only try one beta weekend before the launch and ive been playing about +/- 100hrs so far. I recommend it!
  100. Jul 10, 2012
    I've been waiting for this game for over three years and it has not disappointed. The setting, story concept, design, and character skill customization is unlike anything else out there. I would highly recommend this to any MMO player especially to those who are looking for an MMO to come back to.

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.