The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom PC

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2010
5.2

1. Oct 3, 2010
    It is a nice new chapter in a beloved sequel, for me starting with Settlers 2. Not a great game, but nice. Great music, good athmosphere, but gameplay and game mechanics are quite unclear. This is a sort of "trial and error" concept. However, I will not buy this (or any other software, for that matter) until the DRM is removed permanently. Companies have a choice here: they can earn myIt is a nice new chapter in a beloved sequel, for me starting with Settlers 2. Not a great game, but nice. Great music, good athmosphere, but gameplay and game mechanics are quite unclear. This is a sort of "trial and error" concept. However, I will not buy this (or any other software, for that matter) until the DRM is removed permanently. Companies have a choice here: they can earn my money by making good games, or they can persist in endless patching and forcing spyware. We'll see. Expand
  2. HazemH
    Mar 27, 2010
    Graphics are amazing, your citizens are smart, the game offer a nice blend of complex and easy to make decisions. The fact that gold is not circulating into the economy is nice as it saves you alot of the usually involved micromanagment. The big bummer for me was the DRM. The game stops if you lose internet connection! Seriously, If I knew that before I bought the game I would have used Graphics are amazing, your citizens are smart, the game offer a nice blend of complex and easy to make decisions. The fact that gold is not circulating into the economy is nice as it saves you alot of the usually involved micromanagment. The big bummer for me was the DRM. The game stops if you lose internet connection! Seriously, If I knew that before I bought the game I would have used my money on DA origin expansion. I should be able to play my single player games when I want, however I want and while connected or not. Such a shame seeing a good game with this stupid limitation. Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2011
    9 points for the game itself. 1 Point for the DRM. So ... 5/10.
    It remember every others settlers games, maybe sometime a little bit "previous-version-like".

1 point for this annoying DRM which prevented us from playing our game for days and days.
    Each time server is offline, or crashed, we can't play the game.
    With this protection, they killed the game.
  4. PaulC
    Mar 29, 2010
    Game is ok, but very strict in terms of resource control. If real life was like this - humanity would have given up generations ago. But, after playing for almost a whole day on my brothers PC, I disconnected his wWirelessUSB (to put USB headphones in - it was getting late and I didn't want to disturb anyone) 5 minutes later the game asked me to "reconnect to the internet" and Game is ok, but very strict in terms of resource control. If real life was like this - humanity would have given up generations ago. But, after playing for almost a whole day on my brothers PC, I disconnected his wWirelessUSB (to put USB headphones in - it was getting late and I didn't want to disturb anyone) 5 minutes later the game asked me to "reconnect to the internet" and wouldn't play. Ok, here's the deal. The internet is for the use of the people who PAY for it - Not for game developers to piggy back scam filled anti piracy ideas. And FYI, a full working version of the game is available "you know where" that doesn't require this system. I won't steal, but I won't buy this game either. It's a bloody cheek. Expand
  5. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a newcomer to the series which, for better or worse, eliminates any expectations I may have had from the series. I believed I was in store for a dynamic economic/military kingdom builder, but what I got was repetitive and narrow game play (tedious micromanagement can still be narrow). I was able to put in 5 hours before being so bored that I may never boot the game up again. 5 hours 5 score. The meat of my problem was in world layout, warfare, and victory. The nature of each level and the layout was redundant, and provided for pretty much the same game every level. Then there was the disappointing game component of "neutral" regions. If I have an army and they don't, I say sucks to their neutrality.

In warfare I was disappointed in defense and offense. Defense, I wanted to have better control of towers and walls. Maybe this became available deeper in the game, I may never know. Offense was even more of a joke. There was ever only one way to attack a region, the horrible bottlenecks, and there was no command and control other the retreat.

Finally the most important aspect of any game, achieving victory. I understand that they wanted to allow for different modes of ending levels, using economy, military, or trade, but it always felt as though my conquest was incomplete. The Victory Point system was a cheap out for the developers. The enemy, or myself, would suddenly be defeated because one held more regions, and had a higher prestige, never having to directly challenge the opponent on the field. Silly. High points of the game was that citizens were very intuitive and got their work done. Nice variety to the economy.

There were many other problems outside the scope of this short review. sigh...

When will someone let me build a real Kingdom!
  6. Sep 17, 2010
    On one hand the DRM is draconian (There are workarounds if you're into that.) but on the other the game is absolutely ... decent. It earns a fair 7-8 for the game itself, but loses 2-4 points due to the DRM depending on how strongly one feels about it. Therefore, it gets a firm 6 from me.

1. I’m hoping that people get into it, because I plan on keeping this one in my regular rotation for some time.
  2. Settlers 7 is a fantastic experience that brings out the best in economic sim and RTS games.
  3. The Settlers 7 looks easy but is despite of the looks really complex. Especially the multiplayer part is not only fun to play but really hard to master with three different ways of winning. Strategy and simulation fans will love it!