7.1

1. TimB.
    Oct 27, 2008
    I feel this game was not worth even the $4.99 I just forked out for it. It is a very interesting concept, though - its a kind of "Battle Royale" take with a further twist: it's on a lost ship, between money-hungry passengers, and stealth must be used rather than force to win the day. Immediately, this idea appealed to me. Unfortunately, the gameplay and graphics did not. Immediately I feel this game was not worth even the $4.99 I just forked out for it. It is a very interesting concept, though - its a kind of "Battle Royale" take with a further twist: it's on a lost ship, between money-hungry passengers, and stealth must be used rather than force to win the day. Immediately, this idea appealed to me. Unfortunately, the gameplay and graphics did not. Immediately upon opening the game, we are thrust into an amateurishly introduced storyline, followed by an unceremonious plunge straight into the action. After being told by the owner of the ship that we are supposed to kill each other, we now discover (the hard way) that even brandishing something so deadly as a spanner, or indeed knitting needles, in public view is enough to get us locked up in the ship's handy prison cell (which, incidentally, is more comfortable than your room). After finally getting to grips with this and beginning the story, the very first thing we must do is club to death a sleeping woman - our "quarry", who happens to be right outside our room - before talking to a porter boy called "Jimmy". After completing this small, menial task, one may as well stop playing: you have now experienced the full extent of the game. A further note to make about gameplay would be the appalling AI, and damage statistics. Hitting a poor, helpless and defenceless woman from behind with the business end of a large axe doesn't leave a mark, and afterwards, so long as you're not seen holding the axe, she'll conveniently forget about it and walk around as normal. Clubbing a bank-manager with a frying pan, forcing him to let you into the bank vault, and then leaving him to contemplate his attack has no consequence. Weapon damage is calculated by a 5-star rating system, wherein a magnum revolver or a large axe rate 4 stars and a kukuri knife 5. And weapons themselves can be procured anywhere. Just check the male toilets; in the locker you'll find anything from a paddle to a fully automatic Tommy-gun or even a katana. And then, to top it all off, an element of "The Sims" is added. Now, "The Sims", in my opinion, is a good concept ruined only by the annoying chores one must constantly carry out to look after each of their characters, such as taking them to the bathroom, feeding them, washing them, telling them to sleep and socialise, etc. The idea of building a custom family, then a house for them, and then watching them prosper is actually quite appealing. Unfortunately, the element that "The Ship" uses is, you guessed it, the chores. And in "The Ship", they are even more twisted and outlandish, with even more far-fetched consequences. For example, washing your hands will immediately satisfy your need to wash, regardless of how great this need was. Clicking on your target repeatedly just before you kill them will satisfy your need to socialise without actually alerting the target to your presence. And, let us not forget the consequences of neglecting out characters! Not washed your hands in half an hour? Oh no, you've suddenly dropped dead, having been claimed by a "nasty disease"... The graphics are also quite poor. The Source engine has been butchered: standing on the ship's deck and looking out to sea makes one think that they may well be drifting through deep space, or a hellish purple sea on some alien planet. Animation is sometimes quite clumsy, though the player models have been designed well and in a style that fits with the game. I will say that the ship's layout itself is quite authentic, and satisfies. The multiplayer, I have had little experience of and so cannot really comment. But from the half an hour or so I spent playing, I found little playability in any of the 20 or so servers for me to choose from. To avoid your hunter, all you must do is stand in plain view of a camera or guard and hey-presto, you've survived the round. Basically a sped-up deathmatch-esque version of the single-player story mode. So, basically, an appalling game, in all. I cannot understand how so many professional reviewers and members of the public alike can possibly give this title any more than 3/10. The concept behind it had such potential, and it's a real shame that nothing came of it. It is the range of available weapons and outfits, as well as the interesting concept and half-an-hour or so of authentic gameplay that prompted the frankly generous 2/10 I've decided to give "The Ship". Expand
  2. AceCool4you
    Aug 8, 2006
    PC Gamer gave this 61%. I read the 1up review and agree with them. The game is far too limited, and gets boring after half hour. Only six maps thats very small compared to other games of this type.
  3. SimonE.
    Aug 9, 2006
    After reading all the great reviews, I was let down by this game. Great idea and game concept... ingenious... however, I really am finding it hard to get into. Rounds are faster than I thought they would be, so exploring is difficult. The graphics are quite outdated looking. I've seen player and NPC characters walking on their sides so there are bugs in there which I wouldn't After reading all the great reviews, I was let down by this game. Great idea and game concept... ingenious... however, I really am finding it hard to get into. Rounds are faster than I thought they would be, so exploring is difficult. The graphics are quite outdated looking. I've seen player and NPC characters walking on their sides so there are bugs in there which I wouldn't expect to see in a purchased game. However, I'll keep with it and see if it gets better with time. Some games do, eh? Expand
  4. Black_Knight
    Oct 30, 2006
    Terrible game, just get's worse every time you play it. After you get the hang of where to look for good weapons nobody is playing, it's one of the worst games out there.
  5. RobertS.
    Oct 31, 2006
    A truly uninspiring game experience. The lack of players makes this a non even in multiplayer. I was kicked from a server and had to wait 1 hour before I could get back in. Go spend your dosh on something that is better then this.
  6. Oct 6, 2010
    To be completely honest, what a load of ship.
  7. LoveC.
    Oct 30, 2006
    The only thing I can compare this game is to paint drying. I spent $20 on this crappy game which nobody is playing online. The single player can be completed in 2 hours or less.
  8. Dec 11, 2012
    Ranks in my worst 5 games of all time. The concept is good but in practice it just does not work. People do not "role play" and because of this they just run around all the time. It's just not fun.
  9. May 15, 2014
    A hunk of junk. The graphics are inexcusably bad. Terrible, they look like 1991. I saw better looking games on N64. The gameplay mechanics are also bad. This game made me wanna throw up it was so ugly.
  10. SageMasterP.
    Oct 30, 2006
    This game can be completed in just over an hour in single player mode. The multi-player game if you can find anyone to play is not that exciting. The gameplay is limited and the novelty will wear off after a few goes. I had to wait over an hour before I could join another round which is not fun at all. I would not recommend this game.
  11. JamieAM
    Oct 5, 2006
    I won't give it a 1, but no more then a two, after half - an - hour you're wondering what happened to that 20 bucks... someone said a $20 demo... it really really is, would of been a great Single Player if we could get some story-line, someone screwed up, Yeah me for buying it...sad sad day, Sorry Steam try again!
  12. SimonTheFerret
    Oct 30, 2006
    This game is only for fans of the original game. I have never heard of it or like it. The game has sold fewer than 200 copies hence the lack of players for mult-player, yet itâ??s been out for months now via STEAM and over 4 weeks for retail. You can see why as its very bugged, and the gameplay is stale and there is nothing to do in the levels. Itâ??s so unhead of that it has This game is only for fans of the original game. I have never heard of it or like it. The game has sold fewer than 200 copies hence the lack of players for mult-player, yet itâ??s been out for months now via STEAM and over 4 weeks for retail. You can see why as its very bugged, and the gameplay is stale and there is nothing to do in the levels. Itâ??s so unhead of that it has no US publisher as yet and the original game developer is going bust. If youâ??re a fan boy then you can play with the other 10 ship fan boys that are on all the time, you wonâ??t get anymore players just them. This game is dead and deserves to be sunk to its watery grave. Expand
  13. OrnellaMuti
    Aug 5, 2006
    An already dated game that I simply did not enjoy playing. I found the shallow gameplay came across as far too simplistic for my tastes. At least this was a budget purchase through 'Steam' and not what I would consider to be full price. I guess you really do get what you pay for.
  14. DavidArnold
    Aug 8, 2006
    Having played the original HL1 version I was really keen to get this. The main concern is that whilst it boasts lots of good ideas, they don
  15. SkyM
    Aug 8, 2006
    Just like its predecessor, in Team Fortress 2 players will be able to choose to play as one of several archetypal classes at the start of a match, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses. While it is unknown if the abilities of each class will be similar to the original Team Fortress, all indications so far are that the basic elements will remain the same: Heavy WeaponsJust like its predecessor, in Team Fortress 2 players will be able to choose to play as one of several archetypal classes at the start of a match, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses. While it is unknown if the abilities of each class will be similar to the original Team Fortress, all indications so far are that the basic elements will remain the same: Heavy Weapons characters will have huge guns with incredible firepower but will have a slow walking speed, scouts will be able to move very quickly, but are lightly armoured, and so on. While it is unclear at this time what sort of gametypes will be included upon release, capture the flag and control point matches are likely to return.

Oh man I want this game so bad... Why did I buy The Ship, makes valve look bad.
  16. AshleyW.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Graphics not very good. Game play ok but objective is to assassinate the person you are assigned to. Other players can kill whomever they want and do so. Makes objectives useless.
  17. DrakeM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    I was hoping this game would be really good as I saw a review of it on the games forum. I am shocked that a game could be so over priced for what it has to offer. I installed it and had to wait 2 hours for an update, then I completed single player story in 2 hours although I had to restart some of the levels due to bugs stopping my progression? Too many bugs and glitches make this game I was hoping this game would be really good as I saw a review of it on the games forum. I am shocked that a game could be so over priced for what it has to offer. I installed it and had to wait 2 hours for an update, then I completed single player story in 2 hours although I had to restart some of the levels due to bugs stopping my progression? Too many bugs and glitches make this game look unfinished. Check out the games forum first to see what so many people are complaining about, this game has over 25 fatal crash bugs! I am taking this game back, the company that made it are not good and they need to get some better designers for their games, in fact they should just go to the shops are by some games that are in the charts just to see what makes a good game. Expand
  18. JackT.
    Oct 30, 2006
    One of the most boring multiplayer games on the market today! Nobody is playing it.
  19. RPMK-ZONE
    Oct 30, 2006
    Very average game indeed. Poor graphics, poor gameplay. Multi-player has only a few people playing I mean under 15 players!
  20. StephenA.
    Aug 14, 2006
    This game has some good game play but not a lot its boring to play i wasted 19$ just for that? what a rip off.
  21. Firewalker
    Aug 15, 2006
    This MOD is not very good. It has goofy animation and clumsy animations that look silly. The needs system is confusing and very bland. The levels are boring and the few severs that are around have people just walking about not really knowing what to do. Overall a waste of money.
  22. OliverA.
    Aug 15, 2006
    Let this be a lesson learnt that you cant trust the quality of games released via download. The developer has never published a game before and I can see why. This is one of the worst games I have ever played or owned. I will be deleting it as its not worth the HD space it takes up. WARNING to other buyers, read the reviews and check out the forums on the game website. You will notice the Let this be a lesson learnt that you cant trust the quality of games released via download. The developer has never published a game before and I can see why. This is one of the worst games I have ever played or owned. I will be deleting it as its not worth the HD space it takes up. WARNING to other buyers, read the reviews and check out the forums on the game website. You will notice the amount of problems with this game. Expand
  23. TeamHunterKiller
    Aug 8, 2006
    Team Fortress 2 will be a better game as this is not as good. The graphics are ok, a bit too dark but this is on purpose as it is vey basic. Trying to get the bigger maps to work but it is impossible to get working. The maps are very same in design and too many toilets instead of rooms with weapons.
  24. DavidL.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Firstly I would like to write a fair review of the game which has not been written by The Ships moderators but a customer. I first got this game when it was released, after the install it was ready to go. To my surprise it did not work, it made it past the title screen then bombed out to windows. I ran it on my new dell computer which was bought last month and was the best spec PC dell Firstly I would like to write a fair review of the game which has not been written by The Ships moderators but a customer. I first got this game when it was released, after the install it was ready to go. To my surprise it did not work, it made it past the title screen then bombed out to windows. I ran it on my new dell computer which was bought last month and was the best spec PC dell recommended on their web site, never had a problem running games. To my shock I posted a question on The Ship online forums with my question to why it was crashing. To my horror other people that did manage to get the game to run had many issues with the game and these were not just performance issues. Rather then help or post a good suggestion they just wrote of my PC along with other peoples, saying the game did not work due to minimum spec or that we did not install it correct. Well I am furious, they released a patch a couple of days later and behold it worked, but only just. This game is unplayable due to the amount of bugs, people falling through the levels, doors getting stuck trapping the player, the list is endless. There is no ready help available and the moderators are to put it politely they were very rude. It also turns out that these moderators were also the Beta Testers, do you see the connection now? This game has been released untested, it is shocking how they can get away with this, If I had bought it from a shop I would have returned it and got my money back. I just want to warn people before they shell out for this, because they will think thatâ??s ok its cheap but beleave me there are levels of cheap and this is the bottom of the barrel. Gamplay â?? 2/10 Frustrating and unplayable Graphics â?? 3/10 Very jerky and not such a treat when it moves Sound 5/10 Iâ??ve heard better tunes from cats being neutered Long-term Factor 4/10 You will play this for a while then get bored Overall, a waste of money if you can get it to work! Expand
  25. PeterG.
    Jan 22, 2007
    This game didn't work out. After playing a few times it becomes completely stupid; it's too simple, too boring and has barely any challenge. Nice try anyways.
  26. EmmanuelV.
    Aug 2, 2007
    The most annoying game I've ever played.
  27. Warp
    Sep 1, 2007
    In the advertising it mentions online play as a possibility...it also clearly speaks of single player mode. I was ambushed by the idea that this game can not be played, or even loaded, without connecting to the internet and getting an account. Indeed it appears the game is not even on the disk, as I write, I am suffering thru a download that is taking in excess of an hour. Game companies In the advertising it mentions online play as a possibility...it also clearly speaks of single player mode. I was ambushed by the idea that this game can not be played, or even loaded, without connecting to the internet and getting an account. Indeed it appears the game is not even on the disk, as I write, I am suffering thru a download that is taking in excess of an hour. Game companies do not last long, and so when this company decides to move on to something else, it appears I will have no way to play the game anymore. I've shown the box to others,. and no one who read the box got the idea of the experience that followed.. Indeed, if it did state how the set up process works, few would buy it. The game has an awesome concept, and the game itself is probably good, but the way they have chosen to do business leaves more than a little to be desired. If this game is a download, why oh why did I have to buy a disk in store? Why not sell it exclusively online? I should point out that I do play mmorpg's. Neither of the two I play take over an hour to get started. This is a particularly burdensome system. Expand
  28. JackPayne
    Nov 2, 2006
    I think when they made this game they put it in the stupid mold and threw in some extra dumb juice! I thought the idea was kind of neet, but I got bored with in five minutes. I played the free trial version on Steam. Even for a demo, I was disappointed. I wouldn't reccommend this game.
  29. SetiAlpha6
    Oct 20, 2006
    I thought this game was bad first time around, it is missing any form of gameplay whatsoever. The game is aimless and boring, walking around talking to stupid looking characters is so tedious. The other game modes offer no Gamplay or any real satisfaction. The graphics are some of the worst animated ugly lookers I have ever seen, the levels are just boxes with ugly textures and lighting. I thought this game was bad first time around, it is missing any form of gameplay whatsoever. The game is aimless and boring, walking around talking to stupid looking characters is so tedious. The other game modes offer no Gamplay or any real satisfaction. The graphics are some of the worst animated ugly lookers I have ever seen, the levels are just boxes with ugly textures and lighting. This really shows that this game was made by amateurs in the bedroom, they would have been better off making this longer with more time spent on polish, perhaps paid for a test team instead of children testers for free. Cheap! Overall terrible. Expand
  30. MajorTom
    Oct 20, 2006
    A dodo of a game. It wonâ??t be around for long, only 10 people are playing even after retail. Single player has no hope to it too and has to be restarted several times due to gameplay bugs, I finished this game in 3 hours?????? Complete waste of time and money, oh yes it looks pretty drab too, do they know how to make good art?
  31. JCCollins
    Aug 10, 2006
    This game is a rip off. They are going to patch it a couple of times then release 'The Ship 2' as a more stable build with bug fixes and a couple of new maps. WHAT A CON! They could not get it right the first time, why would we buy this crap again?
  32. PhilipMontrose
    Aug 15, 2006
    This game is getting bad reviews in every published magazine around Europe. I have only seen 1 good review and that because the game was supplied for free to the review. A different story if you paid money for it as its not very good value. It looks and plays terrible, the gameplay is more then boring, I have had more fun watching pant dry and that is the truth. Do your self a favor andThis game is getting bad reviews in every published magazine around Europe. I have only seen 1 good review and that because the game was supplied for free to the review. A different story if you paid money for it as its not very good value. It looks and plays terrible, the gameplay is more then boring, I have had more fun watching pant dry and that is the truth. Do your self a favor and give this one a miss. Read the reviews in trusted magazines like Edge and PC Gamer which rated this below average. Expand
  33. Deathwatch
    Aug 15, 2006
    I agree this game has way to many bugs to be fun, I posted a comment about it on the game
  34. BrianMorran
    Aug 17, 2006
    I played this last night. It was an average hour of entertainment but the servers kept crashing and I was troubled by wonky doors that seem to make me get caught in the walls. It feels a bit like a MOD instead of a real game. I somehow doubt it is worth all these 10s that you are seeing here as I spent some time on the company's forum for the game and noticed that players wereI played this last night. It was an average hour of entertainment but the servers kept crashing and I was troubled by wonky doors that seem to make me get caught in the walls. It feels a bit like a MOD instead of a real game. I somehow doubt it is worth all these 10s that you are seeing here as I spent some time on the company's forum for the game and noticed that players were encouraged to come to Metacritic and vote it a 10 to bump up the scores. You can see this post here:

35. RobertC.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Premise of game is fun, play on the other hand not so great.
  36. MariangelaM>
    Aug 8, 2006
    The Ship is a really boring game. The graphics are average and the ideas sort of work but they are very confusing. Not worth the money as it lacks single player mode.
  37. TomK.
    Aug 8, 2006
    This is not the finished full game. I would wait for the boxed version as It has more play modes and has some bugs and new maps fixed.
  38. MichaelL.
    Sep 11, 2006
    Interesting idea on the surface but I found myself getting frustrated with the Ship after a while. I am not sure I like the look of the game compared to other ones out there. I am not too angry as this is a budget title. Also found that the servers were quite empty and it was difficult finding players.
  39. Mr.Dee
    Sep 29, 2006
    For Gods sake don't watse your money on this game, it plays like a $19 demo.
  40. ToddB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the worst games ever. It has nice graphics and I guess and somewhat original idea but its boring and overly simple. There is no climax you just walk around a ship and slowly kill people, it takes no skill. I'd rather play Super Mario.
  41. M.Hales
    Apr 13, 2007
    Always wanted to be a narcoleptic, incontinent, obsessive-compulsive, binge-eating hit man? Then this is the game for you. But seriously, who wants to be that? No one ever made a movie about a hit-man who can't get from one end of a cruise ship to the other without having to eat, drink, crap, wash his hands, read a magazine, dance, and sleep. Why not? Because no one would watch that Always wanted to be a narcoleptic, incontinent, obsessive-compulsive, binge-eating hit man? Then this is the game for you. But seriously, who wants to be that? No one ever made a movie about a hit-man who can't get from one end of a cruise ship to the other without having to eat, drink, crap, wash his hands, read a magazine, dance, and sleep. Why not? Because no one would watch that movie. That movie would suck. I mean it - you actually have to do all of those things or end up dead, and you have to do them frequently or you will parish. Really, Mommy? If I don't wash my digital hands after taking a digital dump, I'll die? They all have their own prompts going off at different times - it's like stalking prey while strapped with ten pagers going off constantly. The thought behind the needs system is that it keeps the game moving by forcing players to move around the boat - but that's where the game designers misjudged. There is a big difference between keeping the players moving and keeping the gameplay moving. I found that actual gameplay ended up taking a distant back seat to the interminable "feeding of the beast" required of the needs system, and that's a shame, because I really enjoyed just about every other aspect of this game - especially the environment and atmosphere design. Expand
  42. Jason
    Aug 26, 2007
    Its a good game but the SP was just a wast of time MP is good going around trying to kill someone while someone is trying to kill you.
  43. DaleU.
    Dec 1, 2006
    I'm thinking the positive reviews are from people that have either not played the game or are simply paid to be positive. The game is just complete crap and is far from what I would call a commercial game.
  44. BabinM.
    Jul 29, 2006
    Idea is good but no one seems to play this game on internet... Interest don't last for long...
  45. Emasculata
    Aug 15, 2006
    I do not agree with some of these reviews. The game is balnd and lacks any fun even when you do get on a server that works. Terrible graphics too.
  46. Ascension
    Aug 15, 2006
    I bought this game and It does not work properly, I keep falling trough the decks and the doors jam players into the side walls. Donâ??t think this game has been tested just released to make a quick buck and con people.
  47. AngryPlums
    I can
  48. SalusaSecundus
    Aug 15, 2006
    If I had bought this game via a shop I would have taken it back straight away. The game is flawed by hundreds of bugs, it does not even load the title page correctly on any setting. Did anyone test this? I think not, save yourself the hassle and buy a game that works!
  49. MonCalamri
    Aug 29, 2006
    Not that good really. Nice music.
  50. Tom
    Sep 17, 2006
    It is BLATANTLY apparent that this metascore is TOTALLY BEING SKEWED to push a higher rating on a game STEAM includes in their opening for sale.

Notice the most generic names like "Carmen G." and "Mason E." that all give 10s with a dopey one-liner.

SHAME ON YOU AND STEAM LOSES A POINT IN RESPECT.
  51. ChristopherA.
    Dec 29, 2007
    The developers of this game took the most inane activity from run of the mill FPS games, namely chasing each other around with a melee weapon, and turned it into the core focus of this game. The plot is a well-worn one and the graphics rather mediocre. The game is designed with one novelty, that is making you wait as punishment for failure. As if waiting for the next round to commence The developers of this game took the most inane activity from run of the mill FPS games, namely chasing each other around with a melee weapon, and turned it into the core focus of this game. The plot is a well-worn one and the graphics rather mediocre. The game is designed with one novelty, that is making you wait as punishment for failure. As if waiting for the next round to commence wasn't punishment enough in a multiplayer FPS. Playing this game long enough to feel justified in taking the developer up on their replacement offer was punishment enough for this reviewer. Expand
  52. TheGodfather
    Aug 15, 2006
    Dissapointing.. I downloaded it yesturday and was looking forward 2 play it when i got back from school. What a dissapointment!, almost no one plays it, hard 2 get into , Boorng gameplay, outdated graphics, fair sounds... And so little maps... Not impressive. Gave it a 3. 20§ out of nowhere.. Dont buy it!
  53. SandmoonGirl
    Aug 8, 2006
    Far too many bugs cripple this game. Other steam games look better and play better. Not sure if this is worth the money as there are not many servers running and most of them are full. No single player makes this a very boring experience. The maps are very basic and lack any detail. Very disappointed.

1. The Ship is a fresh and different slant on multiplayer death-matching; one not dependant on speed of reflexes and advanced techniques. It’s fun and innovative – something that some of the big name games dominating the charts seem to forget about every so often.
  2. While it may not be the refined, leisurely paced kill-'em-up many eager landlubbers might have signed up for, The Ship does quickly prove itself a subtly addictive, relentless nail biter that will only get better as those already aboard learn to rule the bloody waves. Notch this one up as another killer for Steam.
  3. The Ship's mixture of intrigue, subtlety, and cunning makes it the perfect recipe for gamers bored with same-old same-old multiplayer shooters, but it does tend to show its indie roots a little too clearly here and there.