6.0

1. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have finished 7 out of the 12 ambitions and 70% of the achievements, If you like playing and then having to start over 12 times, loosing everything then this is for you, it is very limited on quests, you do the same quests and build the same kingdom over and over in every ambition, rewards are cloths and furniture, lame. The Sims character engine is bare bones, you only get hunger and energy. If you are interested in this game wait until the price drops to $30 or less, not worth the $50 Expand
  2. Mar 24, 2011
    This was quite literally on of the worst Sims games I've ever played. Probably because they strayed off the glorious, plot-less path they had been on before (what had made the series so popular) and followed the path of Sims Stories, the second worst game I've ever played. Try again EA, sure the games good enough for some, but others of us expected better. Make the Medieval game we wanted, on where there is no story, there is no plot, but its also darn fun to live in hut in the middle ages and choose your own destiny, not a "Fable" oriented game in which that destiny is chosen for us.

In the mean time, I'm giving THIS piece of crap to the first person who requests it. I'll pay shipping and handling. And I'm giving it to you free of charge. Only played it for a few hours, and its back in the case :)
  3. Mar 30, 2011
    This is dull - the whole point about the Sims is that you create your own "family" not just click your way through umpteen computer set tasks with no free will (i.e. play time) whatsoever. Sorry - looms great but plays like a 90's platform game. Played for 6 hours now an am bored already - I just don't care about the "quests".
  4. Apr 18, 2011
    A great idea let down by very poor and unimaginative implementation. Fairly typical of EAs recent performance. Poor controls, the lack of some of the core fun aspects of Sims games, namely the ability to actual design your own buildings, the ability to watch new generations grow up and become part of the community and the lack of access to many of the games locations. Instead we are left with the most mundane aspects of the sims games, leading around our characters by a short leash completing numbingly simple tasks in a preordained order. There is none of the freedom which made the Sims games fun. None of the emergent stories or development as we are forced down give paths. I was also constantly frustrated that in order to actually play the game properly I couldn't focus on a couple fo favoured sims, instead I had to keep changing who I was controlling as the quests dictated.. In fact as the quests dictate is basically the name of the game, its a do as your told game not a do what you want. In pen and paper roleplaying terms its on rails. With a GM who will punish you like mad if you try and go off and do your own thing.

The conspiracy theorist in me tends to think that so much has been left out in order to allow for plenty of appealing expansion packs, sadly I am pretty much at my wits end with EA and will be thinking very carefully before I buy another product with their logo on it.
  5. Sep 29, 2011
    This is.. not even a sims game, I can't describe the feeling when I originally decided to buy this game and it turned out to be a pile of junk. I was hoping for something like the guild 2... what I got was a town that constantly needed quests done for no apparent reason and it just.... ended. Where the sims series is a open sandbox where you can do whatever you like.... the sims medieval is pile of **** needing to be scooped off your lawn into the rubbish container. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2012
    Yay, the sims get medieval! Great concept! Horrible implementation. Starting a new kingdom in each ambition could have been cooler, I mean, you get pretty much the same quests at the start of your new kingdom, the new one looks the same as your first kindom, the geometery is exactly the same and when you send off one of your sims from an old kingdom to become the new monarch, they lose their abilities, like sending off your wizard to become the new monarch, he/she gets there and loses all wizarding powers, no more staff or spells, no, now you have a sword and armour. Great idea, huge letdown, I wasted 350 south-african rands on this, don't you make the same mistake I did. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    A great idea to serve a game play uninteresting and repetitive. Graphically very ugly, no freedom, camera management catastrophic.
    This game is a joke or what ?!
  8. May 27, 2011
    this is terrible compared to the quality of the other Sims 3 series. Goofy and absolutely dumb the camera is fixed on the castle like you are looking at a doll house with the walls cut away. All the people giving it positive reviews have got to be fake I cannot believe anyone finds this game entertaining or redeeming if they have played other Sims titles or have completed junior high.
  9. dfs
    Apr 11, 2011
    Nothing but problems with this game. Has corrupted saves twice, crashes every other time I try to play it.

The gameplay is fine if you ever get it working. Buyer beware.
  10. Apr 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sims Medieval is the game "Fable" done in Sim's style. The parts of sims I liked (building and exploring) are not part of this game. The music and starting art is straight Fable. Having to do a limited number of very linear quests, over and over has been tedius. A person can reek, but there is no indicator for that. You can use a chamber pot, but there is no indicator for that either. Your job amounts to keeping a sim fed and rested so you can wander around the same incredibly annoying map - over and over and over. Like Fable, the game is linear in that you can not progress in the game without doing the quests. When children are being born, your character is locked to her location until a baby (and it's crib) pop out wherever she happens to be in the house. From that point on it doesn't seem to matter if you feed or care for it or not. The rooms are shown in a dollhouse type view instead of being 3d. You can't scroll around to look at a back wall. I'm very disappointed. Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    If you want to actually make a game that actually resembles the sims, make the sims 4 because this is this worst game to date, even worse than the expansions of the first one...
  12. May 31, 2011
    sad that they've managed to take everything about the sims, and throw it out the window,, NO building creation no freedom, horrible camera, if this game was what the sims use to be, with the upgraded graphics it has, i would give it a 10.. but sadly, its not :(
  13. Dec 23, 2012
    I did not particularly enjoy my time with The Sims Medieval and i have a hard time pining down the target audience for this game. The fact that they have taken away a large part of the building and furniture options from previous titles will turn away a lot of people who enjoyed the previous games. And those left will probably lose interest since the relationship-based part of the game has been seriously crippled . (One example of that is that sims no longer age which means that children for instance no longer will grow up.) And those who simply want to screw around in the game will probably be turned off by the pushy quest system and the shortcomings listed above. All of the shortcomings listed could be tolerable if the new quest system that the game is based on was fun. That is sadly not the case and the missions often feel mindless and boring. The point and click system that the game is based on doesn't work very well for a goal-driven gameplay and i have a hard time seeing any new demographic getting interested in The Sims Medievals quite limited and dull quest-solving mechanics. I would say that the developers attempt to make the game a little more scripted and linear has really hurt the game since it restricts the creativeness of the player. And i do simply not believe that the Sims gameplay mechanics can stand on it own without it. Fans of the genre could probably get a few hours of enjoyment out of this game but i would not recommend paying any large sum of money for this one. Expand
  14. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. what is this? what is it try to make you do that you do not have seen in a 100 of other games of this sort ? nothing. it is just as boring as always with this simulation games Expand

1. Sep 7, 2011
    This new incarnation of The Sims has a simplier gameplay but a more interesting setting and tasks to achieve. A good diversion overall.
  2. Jun 9, 2011
    A charming, multi-genre-hybrid experience, that will appeal to those who don't mind the sometimes tedious underlying gameplay. [July 2011, p.75]
  3. May 29, 2011
    Friendly enough to for the non-Sims-enthusiasts among us and something fresh for players that have been around the block before, The Sims Medieval shows that there's still some life in this franchise yet.