The Sims PC

7.9

1. Jul 28, 2014
    The Sims is an incredible simulation that can be played by anyone. It's very fun to create a family and run their lives. There is a lot of customization with creating a person from choosing clothes and a face to selecting their personality. There are a lot of options with making a house and furnishing it, and I find making the house the most fun part. After playing someone's life for aThe Sims is an incredible simulation that can be played by anyone. It's very fun to create a family and run their lives. There is a lot of customization with creating a person from choosing clothes and a face to selecting their personality. There are a lot of options with making a house and furnishing it, and I find making the house the most fun part. After playing someone's life for a while it can get a little repetitive. They just go to work everyday without much change except promotions here and there to make more money and then you can keeping upgrading your house, but it takes a lot more time to build your house bigger and buy fancier things. The Sims is amazing and it will always be a great game to play for anyone. Expand
  2. Courts
    Mar 18, 2004
    This game is a blast. I really enjoy playing it. I think this game is good because it gives you hours and hours of great fun.
  3. HayleyC.
    Dec 4, 2003
    This game is soooo cool and fun i go on this game every night after school.
  4. KarlN.
    Sep 21, 2007
    A brilliant game. It's a long way from being a good people simulator, but it's surprising how complex behaviors can arise out of a basic needs-driven model of human behavior. I look forward to seeing how the game could be further developed in the future.
  5. Jan 20, 2013
    The Sims is an iconic piece of gaming history. Though its isometric fake-3D world may not appeal to gamers today, its charm lives on and its playability remains in tact.
  6. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    With more interactions this game should have been the game of the year 2000.
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    The Sims 1 + all expansions is the best Sims. It's addictive, has infinite replay value, the soundtrack is fantastic, the AI is revolutionary. Just a revolutionary amazing game.
  8. ArthurP
    Aug 13, 2008
    I remember playing this years and years ago, it was my favorite game then, the building, the songs, looking after your family and progressing mesmerized me. It's one of those games you get so into it you forget your playing a game. Today I got the game again and tonnes of wonderful memories came back about this game. So in summary, yes its an old game, the graphics are no way near as I remember playing this years and years ago, it was my favorite game then, the building, the songs, looking after your family and progressing mesmerized me. It's one of those games you get so into it you forget your playing a game. Today I got the game again and tonnes of wonderful memories came back about this game. So in summary, yes its an old game, the graphics are no way near as the modern sims, but it one of the most interesting and enjoyable games ever to be released. I was very disappointed with the sims 2, probably because it can never live upto the original sims. Expand
  9. Feb 27, 2012
    I am so departed from this game's audience, that I fail to understand the target demographic's attraction to what is essentially a mix of 'barbie' and 'whatever soap you choose to make it'. This is one of the few games I cannot be objective about. Nothing struck me as insightful, engaging, entertaining, fun, progressive, or meaningful. I guess it was original for it's time. And that has toI am so departed from this game's audience, that I fail to understand the target demographic's attraction to what is essentially a mix of 'barbie' and 'whatever soap you choose to make it'. This is one of the few games I cannot be objective about. Nothing struck me as insightful, engaging, entertaining, fun, progressive, or meaningful. I guess it was original for it's time. And that has to count for something. Right? Expand
  10. JonG.
    Sep 22, 2003
    God i hate this game. 15 minutes in and i became bored.
  11. Nemisis
    May 17, 2003
    EXTREMLY STUPID GAME. NO FUN.
  12. PeterB.
    May 17, 2003
    Mysteriously stupid game. Thats the worst game i've ever played.
  13. EricC.
    Nov 13, 2002
    The problem with every sim game ever made is that although it's fun to build and create these interesting worlds of cities or people or whatever, after everything is completed, the game goes absolutely nowhere. Why the hell do I have to point and click for every little action my character needs to do? Can't he go to the bathroom on his own or clean up after himself? The problem with every sim game ever made is that although it's fun to build and create these interesting worlds of cities or people or whatever, after everything is completed, the game goes absolutely nowhere. Why the hell do I have to point and click for every little action my character needs to do? Can't he go to the bathroom on his own or clean up after himself? Character's brains are apparently the size of gumdrops as I groan over paying attetion to everything that I am forced to do to keep my sim healthy and sane. Playing this game for 20 minutes goes from being interesting to becoming an annoying chore that I never want to have to put up with ever again. Even cheats don't make things any easier or better. Play this game if you have lots of time on your hands or no life of your own. It is way too overated and people should be more aware of its huge flaws and problems.(And, it was replaced it with a much better game, No One Lives Forever.) Expand
  14. Uter
    May 23, 2003
    I really don't see why this game is so popular. Perhaps it's because it's accessable to everyone. But the actual gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. There are pretty significant glitches that can occur, and it's not as open ended as I was expecting. Good fun, but not brilliant or a must play by any means.
  15. Calavera
    Aug 27, 2002
    Not fun in the slightest sense of the word.
  16. RoryS.
    Mar 15, 2004
    The plain fact is that this game is unfair. Time travels by at several times the speed of real time, and yet these critters still wonder about the house at normal speed. And then they can't multi-task. Make a meal, eat it while watching TV. Put something in the microwave, go to the toilet. No. Everything has to be done one thing at a time. No wonder the guy misses work, gets fired, The plain fact is that this game is unfair. Time travels by at several times the speed of real time, and yet these critters still wonder about the house at normal speed. And then they can't multi-task. Make a meal, eat it while watching TV. Put something in the microwave, go to the toilet. No. Everything has to be done one thing at a time. No wonder the guy misses work, gets fired, and gets depressed. And then his house bursts into flames. Surely not. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2012
    This was the begining of the Best Selling PC game franchise and World Record smasher, The Sims. Im happy with the start and will always be a classic game to remember, even though graphics wasnt good, but ey. It was number one!! :)
  18. Aug 17, 2012
    Fun at first, but quickly became boring. Beyond sending your sims to work and making sure they don't crap themselves, there is very little to do except expand your house. You don't need a big house for any practical purposes, so to me the game seems kind of... pointless.
  19. Apr 21, 2013
    Very good gameplay, almost innovative for its times. The bad points are the graphics and the performance, since the graphics suck and you still get low FPS on low end PCs (such as PCs of its times). The sound is really boring, except for some tracks. Overall, it's a mediocre game, which could be even better, since the idea was good.
  20. Jul 28, 2014
    I absolutely hated it.

I was so excited for this as it was being developed by Maxis. But, my one and only full night really trying to love this game was a disaster. It was depressing. Get up, barely make it to work. Get home, barely make it to bed. This is already my life. Why on EARTH would I play this? I'll give it a 6 since it had few bugs and the underlying system was
    I absolutely hated it.

I was so excited for this as it was being developed by Maxis.

I'll give it a 6 since it had few bugs and the underlying system was well-constructed. But, I really disliked playing this game.
  21. Dec 16, 2014
    What can I say about this? it's a boring game with no gameplay at all, no story whatsoever and no lines as the characters are so retarded that they "speak" worse than a australopitecus, what's the purpose of this? you get there and play a "real life" when you already have a real life? nonsense, why would I play that I'm eating at home or taking a piss? I can do it in real life and it'sWhat can I say about this? it's a boring game with no gameplay at all, no story whatsoever and no lines as the characters are so retarded that they "speak" worse than a australopitecus, what's the purpose of this? you get there and play a "real life" when you already have a real life? nonsense, why would I play that I'm eating at home or taking a piss? I can do it in real life and it's nothing exciting. This game is a waste of time and money and it's just for those girls who like barbies and overthink about marriage stuff. Definitely one of the worst games I ever play (and I've been playing since Atari 2600 was out there). Expand
  22. BlancoA.
    May 6, 2001
    A very sophisticated and fun game, but having to constantly maintain your sims can feel a little too much like work at times.
  23. RobertB.
    Jun 10, 2001
    Mysteriously addictive. For some reason, it's fun to make someone else do all the stuff that, in reality, you should be out doing (cleaning up the house, working your way up the corporate ladder, etc.)
  24. BigBrother
    Aug 14, 2002
    It's really cool when you start out, building a house. However, maintaining a job can be really, really monotonous, and try as you may to play the game fairly, it is next to impossible to do so when you know the ROSEBUD code. The game gets boring after a while though. It's pleasantly original and quirky, though, and will still keep you glued for a long time. Note that I do not It's really cool when you start out, building a house. However, maintaining a job can be really, really monotonous, and try as you may to play the game fairly, it is next to impossible to do so when you know the ROSEBUD code. The game gets boring after a while though. It's pleasantly original and quirky, though, and will still keep you glued for a long time. Note that I do not own any of the add-ons, so maybe this isn't a fair judgement... Expand
  25. Chuakahswee
    May 4, 2004
    Those who really hate Sims so much, you must be outta your mind. Get some expansion packs and make sure you check out The Sims 2 coming out this year(2004)
  26. C.Doyle
    May 9, 2006
    Loved it!
  27. MafiaGuy
    Nov 1, 2003
    Hopefully Maxis will create some expansion packs for this game and add in more features.
  28. SamL.
    May 4, 2003
    The Sims is such a great game, and I cannot see how anyone can hate it. True, it does get a bit repetative, but the game makes you want to play it over and over again. One of the only decent games these days that doesn't involve shooting people or mindless gore.
  29. RainbowTay
    Jun 8, 2003
    It's a good game but u can't do much without the expansions.
  30. C.Doyle
    Sep 30, 2004
    Loved it!
  31. MatthewS.
    Jan 17, 2002
    This game is awesome! One of the best games I have.
  32. Jackie
    Jul 12, 2002
    THIS GAME RULES, it can get boring but i've got ALL the add ons so it gets interesting once u add them, now I'm just waiting for sims online! YAYAYAY I LUV THE SIMS.
  33. DuncanS.
    Jul 3, 2002
    It's a good game but like games domain said," it gets kinda boring".
  34. MattM.
    Oct 12, 2003
    ++++This is game is a very good game. I must say it is one simulator that I truly enjoyed. I'm one who pays a lot of attention to the details and this game does it. Programmers added a little 'behind the scenes' thing in there and I loved it. I love how the sims acutally use real chess moves, that there are over 1.000 animations and there are hundreds of things that I ++++This is game is a very good game. I must say it is one simulator that I truly enjoyed. I'm one who pays a lot of attention to the details and this game does it. Programmers added a little 'behind the scenes' thing in there and I loved it. I love how the sims acutally use real chess moves, that there are over 1.000 animations and there are hundreds of things that I absolutley loved about the game. ----Some let downs that were in there were the censors, but I got rid of them. Also it took a little while for me to do certain things like walk across my house. It would sometimes take well past 15 to get to my carpool. Sometimes you would give a command to a sim but they would just stand there for a bit. ===Final comments: I really like this game and bought it on my Birthday in 1998 and I just started up again with the Hot Date Expansion pack. For some reason I don't seem to get sick of it. Expand
  35. LimZ.
    Jun 14, 2004
    This is the best of the best in computer simulations.
  36. KeiraC.
    Aug 2, 2004
    This game is oddly engrossing. Who would think that controlling a human would be so fun??? It sucked me in like Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life did. It does have its flaws, but stil it is FUNFUNFUN!!! I'd say more, but I'd take up the whole page! :P
  37. KyleT.
    Apr 12, 2004
    Murder, Fighting mansions all this game needs is multifunction options.
  38. SimoliasS.
    Jun 21, 2006
    the game that took many many hours of my life from me...the best game I have ever played and...besides maby sims 2 or spore...ever will.
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    What you have here is one of the most addicting games ever made. You have so much freedom and control over everything that it is impossible to get bored of it.
  40. May 27, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time.
  41. Jan 2, 2014
    The Sims is a revolution in the gaming world. Never before had we could not control the family, build houses, and Organize party. I have to admit that I liked this idea. And although in 2000 arose game with better graphics, it just Sims was not needed. Pleasant to saw on Computer fellows in isometric projection. Cool was also the Simlish language that was incomprehensible mix of severalThe Sims is a revolution in the gaming world. Never before had we could not control the family, build houses, and Organize party. I have to admit that I liked this idea. And although in 2000 arose game with better graphics, it just Sims was not needed. Pleasant to saw on Computer fellows in isometric projection. Cool was also the Simlish language that was incomprehensible mix of several languages. The only thing in this game I did not like is the limited ability to create Sims. Then Sims came only in the world of games so I can forgive them Music listening is really nice. And as for expansions-as opposed to The Sims 3 all expansions for The Sims 1 gave a lot of revolutionary changes and objects. This is a really cool and fun game. Expand
  42. Jan 12, 2016
    A good game for its time. It also created a whole new genre. I remember playing it for 2 weeks with 1 character in a small house who would learn stuff quickly and progress thru jobs with the only difficulty of getting more friends for promotions. Soon you find out that sleeping is not needed and you can just drink Espresso 3 times in a row and visit VC instead of a night sleep. After IA good game for its time. It also created a whole new genre. I remember playing it for 2 weeks with 1 character in a small house who would learn stuff quickly and progress thru jobs with the only difficulty of getting more friends for promotions. Soon you find out that sleeping is not needed and you can just drink Espresso 3 times in a row and visit VC instead of a night sleep. After I reached the best job and was earning $1k per day, and sold my paintings a couple hundred bucks each while at the same time increasing "fun" need - the game was won or something. I tried a married couple, then 8 guys all sleeping in the simplest beds and working as construction workers - and that was it. Unfortunately, for a gamer, this game gets boring after 1 or 2 playthroughs.

As it turned out years later, this game became extremely popular among women and girls because they could build a doll house there, buy furniture, choose wallpapers etc. And more importantly - play with "relations" between these characters (who are all very ordinary, mediocre people), and make babies. Unfortunately (for male players) that's the direction in which this game evolved later: more furniture, more wallpapers, more relations, more babies, more parties, and again, more junk you can buy for the house etc.

The first Sims game can be played as an optimization game where, e.g. you try to reach the best job in minimal time, or build the best house in minimal time or whatever, like in an economic simulator. The other games in the series with all their expansions aren't really games. They are doll houses for girls and glorify suburban mediocrity.
  43. Oct 26, 2013
    Very fun and addictive game. Can be quite hard from the beginning, but gets easy after a while. Maxis did a great job on this and this will forever be a classic game. Even in 2013 I still play it sometimes when I'm bored.
  44. Sep 25, 2013
    So it's been 13 years since this game was released and I've just set up a Metacritic account, I've decided for The Sims to be my first review because I am fairly excited for The Sims 4.

So, what is this game like? Well it is a very difficult life simulation game by Maxis/EA. When I first saw this game, I was awful at it, my Sims kept on starving because I didn't know how to make money, but I still fairly enjoyed it.

I've been playing it recently and although I know I can take care of my Sims by telling them what to do next, they just tend to do what they need to do themselves, besides sleep in the nice comfy bed I placed upstairs.

The enjoyable features of The Sims for me are making the Sims and building the homes in which they live in. Their is the part where you control them but to me it seems a bit tedious and boring and irritatingly difficult without cheating. But the problem is is that the controlling of your Sims is the main part of the game and when your Sims can almost take care of themselves and when the gameplay is almost too difficult and and slightly boring, it takes away most of the fun.

I'm giving this game a 3 out of 10 because as I mentioned previously the Create-a-Sim mode and Buy/Build modes are fun, but the game is about simulating the Sims and I just can't enjoy it enough to like it.
  45. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 7 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 7 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 7 out of 10, Length: 9 out of 10, Re-play: 8 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  46. Jul 15, 2016
    Incredibly innovative game that captured the attention of even the most casual gamers. This game brought virtual pet to a whole new level: you are not managing a pet but families of human and you can even build your own house and live your dream in it. I think you can even say that this the game that broke the gender barrier. Without this game, there might not be as many female gamers asIncredibly innovative game that captured the attention of even the most casual gamers. This game brought virtual pet to a whole new level: you are not managing a pet but families of human and you can even build your own house and live your dream in it. I think you can even say that this the game that broke the gender barrier. Without this game, there might not be as many female gamers as there are now. Expand
  47. Nov 16, 2015
    Playing The Sims is a unique experience. In my opinion, neither the competitors nor the 2, 3 and 4 sequels have caught the perfect, rounded formula the original Sims had. Newer versions are more fancy but gameplay was way better and faster in that game.
  48. Jan 13, 2014
    i remember playing it when it was released, and still dont get it...
    mechanics of the game where bad, to say the least(eat, s***, wash, or sleep? cant do it all since it all takes about same ammount of time)
    i believe it was a first try for drm crap...ppl could buy stuff like say a lamp for additional money....(real money) all that aside, and the mechanics (hopefully??) fixed today, its
    i remember playing it when it was released, and still dont get it...
    all that aside, and the mechanics (hopefully??) fixed today, its still not more(or less) than an interactive dollhouse.
    now, thats fine, and i wont judge ppl who like it, but i guess im just not the right recipent.
    its for girls and generally more casual gamers(which is fine, really) so i never got to like it very much....(since im neither nor)
    after building my place, i usually quit and had no motivation to look back.
    id have loved to see an implementation, a mix if you want, of both the sims and sim city, maybe there were plans for that, but well....its ea....

49. Aug 22, 2014
    The Sims is a bit fun, but not my kind of thing. There are, however, TONS and I mean TONS of ways to torture your Sims, and their reactions are priceless in fast forward. Wherever you like to be nice to them, and build a society, or just straight up torture them, you'll probably enjoy the game.
  50. Jun 10, 2014
    Muy importante en la historia del videojuego ya que consiguió, finalmente, acercar a las mujeres de diversas edades a los videojuegos. Pese a que la idea era que les atrajera la parte de la simulación de relaciones humanas, su importancia vino por la posibilidad de diseñar casas e interiores.
  51. Sep 4, 2014
    It's magic, it's fun, it's... awesome. It's one of the best games I've ever played. The graphics might be old, but gameplay is incredible. It is and will always be the best game of the series. Period.
  52. Jan 3, 2016
    I grew up with this game. I played it for years and years and years. I loved every moment even if EA published it. If you want to get into the Sims now and understand why it has a place in the hearts of many, then definetely consider buying this title.
  53. Sep 25, 2015
    The game is a classic, and still holds up to this day. The game is very dated, and there is a distinct lack of good cheats, but it is entertaining when you get down to it. The gameplay is entertaining, but keeping the Sims happy can be frustrating, since there is always something going on.

The houses, the music and the characters are very memorable by Sims standards. Playing with all Expansion Packs is a great experience and there are so many unique things in the expansions. The base game is lacking in content by itself. Despite this, the game has a timeless look and the fact that the game isn't in 3D keeps the textures from becoming ugly with time.

The technical aspects of the game are lacking; the game does not work on all systems, the game is susceptible to stop working after system updates, and installing the Expansion Packs is an absolute chore that can suck out several hours of your time.

Overall, the game is a great classic, that holds up quite well, but getting it to work is a chore, and the game might not even work, but it is worth it, at least to me.
  54. Mar 19, 2016
    Easily the second best sims game in the sims series to date, and it even gets better when you have all of the expansions installed. Now the CAS is the simplest in the series, like there is no fitness level but who cares there are some awesome bodies and heads to chose. so what are you waiting for get the game now and if you cant find it at any store just pirate it with all of the expansions
  55. Jul 3, 2016
    Nostalgic as it is it is Sim 1's 16th year since being released. This game is proved that EA isn't fully all trash. This game is fun where you create people and your house and everything else this game is really awesome! Nostalgic is the word that it takes and keeps.
  56. Jul 11, 2016
    The Sims, simple as it is, manages to be great. Day by day, completely control the lives of entire families. A simple economy system allows you to get to work and furnish your home as you make friends around the neighborhood and, who knows, find true love. Being hugely overshadowed by its successors, many may find difficult to have fun with it, but for those who played it first, it isThe Sims, simple as it is, manages to be great. Day by day, completely control the lives of entire families. A simple economy system allows you to get to work and furnish your home as you make friends around the neighborhood and, who knows, find true love. Being hugely overshadowed by its successors, many may find difficult to have fun with it, but for those who played it first, it is always pleasing to meet an old friend. Expand

1. Game Fan
    Besides bringing out the voyeur inside of me, I've found "The Sims" to be the most addictive and wholly enthralling game I've played in ages.
  2. The game is really fun despite all of the tasks you have to remember.
  3. A refreshing and at times thought-provoking human-scale simulation.