8.0

1. Mar 18, 2014
    This game is so friggin overrated. Indie **** hyped by wannabe hipster gamers who find it cool to like "off-beaten" games. This game tries to use humor and witty narrative to appear cool, mocking modern gaming practices,storytelling,mechanics,scripting etc etc. Guess what, we DONT NEED A REMINDER. We have been gaming for decades,and we don't NEED a satire to remind what we are experiencingThis game is so friggin overrated. Indie **** hyped by wannabe hipster gamers who find it cool to like "off-beaten" games. This game tries to use humor and witty narrative to appear cool, mocking modern gaming practices,storytelling,mechanics,scripting etc etc. Guess what, we DONT NEED A REMINDER. We have been gaming for decades,and we don't NEED a satire to remind what we are experiencing all these years.
    Its a friggin walking simulator. And thats it.
    There are 18 possible endings, but they are pretty similar apart from 4-5 of them. Wont spoil it for you guys. My first 2-3 runs were entertaining, the narrator did a great job with the voice overs. But after 1 hour of playing.... the game became a chore. Its extremely repetitive, hearing the same long ass dialogus over and over JUST TO DISCOVER the alternate endings.
    Apart from like 5 endings, the remaining 13 endings are bland and repetitive. in fact they shouldn't even be counted as proper endings.
    i'm giving it a ZERO not to offset the biased overall score, bt because this game ACTUALLY deserves a ZERO for charging me $15 for 0.99cent gameplay
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can lastThe Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can last from 2-15 minutes but to fully understand the games messages it really needs to be played multiple times (with different choices being made) so that a variety of the multiple endings can be seen.

Most people will only play The Stanley Parable for an hour or two, so at about £10 it is perhaps a little too expensive, but it is certainly something that gamers should experience for themselves. I know it got me thinking anyway!
  3. Dec 22, 2013
    This game costs too much for what it offers. Brilliant idea, but you just move with arrows in a repetitive ambient. Poor realization, boring game, VERY FUN for the first couple of hours, after which you'll have explored everything you could, wondering why you did that.
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around. PORTAL has very similar concepts, but
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around.
    PORTAL has very similar concepts, but it's actually a game in which you have to think and do stuff... you know? a game, basically. This is not. And after all, it's not as clever as it could.
  4. Dec 5, 2013
    This is exactly the sort of thing that gets overrated by critics. It's short, and it's different. That's not to say it's bad. The narrator is terrific and hilarious. It's a neat little meta-commentary about video games. It's certainly worth playing through for a few hours to see everything.
  5. May 1, 2014
    If there ever was a game that deserved LESS to be said about it, this is it. You really need to dive in head first and try it. Completely original and entertaining. Especially if you've ever worked in an office.
  6. Mar 30, 2014
    This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really.This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really. I still have to say that this game surely has many small great details. E.g. the whole Power Point slides sequence in the meeting room is just amazing. And the whiteboards. And the rooms where they tell which pieces of the game looked how before the release. But certainly this game isn't worth its price or any price at all, or maybe something like $1. Since it isn't a game at all, it shouldn't have been created or sold as a game - instead it could be a cartoon or maybe a movie.
    I still give it a rather high score (4) and not 1 or 0 because it does give some fun, even if it's not a lasting one. This product still offers a bit of gameplay - and strangely this kind of gameplay reminds me a typical RPG where you would explore every branch of dialogs with NPCs. Here you explore corridors and doors instead.
    The closest game to this one that comes to mind is Antichamber. However, Antichamber is way way better, there you have diverse puzzles, each with an unexpected solution. Here it's just talking and talking, like in a book/radio/TV show. This game doesn't really feel as if it were made for players and to entertain players but instead to entertain the developers - much like 2010's "Rubber" movie was fun to the director but boring to the audience.
    This app certainly is a fresh innovative attempt, but it's not really a successful attempt. Frankly, I'm not sure that the whole idea for such a game could have resulted into anything playable. Strange that they actually decided to spend effort into developing this stuff.
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have not bought this game, nor will I ever consider buying this game for the price listed during this Christmas sale (9.99). It is not worth it.

Originally, the mystery behind all the narration and ambiguous description captured my interest as I tend to attempt to unravel the truths from the untruths via internet browsing and reviews. I like to know what my game is like especially when I'm spending this amount of money to buy a game with steam engine graphics..

..it was a disappointment. The game's air of enigma was easily blown away with Youtube videos about 6 particular endings and a very short storyline, and even when I tried to dig deeper, there were other endings, but sadly, not enough. And certainly not worth the price tag, when you try to compare to other games with vastly superior and unique graphics and gameplay also at the same price or lower.

Sure, it might seem new and interesting the first few runs, but really, it's not really so much of a game than it is just a couple of seemingly clever plot twists and mind games. And we're not talking about the deep philosophical and psychological games..just a couple of basic ones, which may have appealed to some of the mainstream critics as a masterpiece at first, and is probably all that was needed to spark their overhyped reviews.
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    A great game BUT there is almost no replay-ability in this game. You spend 8 hours finding all the endings then you might as well uninstall it because there is nothing new you will find.
  9. Oct 22, 2013
    The Stanley Parable goes out of its way to prove that video games are a waste of time by deliberately wasting your time. Whether you are into that sort of thing or not is really up to the excess of time that you personally spend playing video games. I can guarantee that most people who enjoyed this game were impressed by how little they were allowed to do. These same people aren't stillThe Stanley Parable goes out of its way to prove that video games are a waste of time by deliberately wasting your time. Whether you are into that sort of thing or not is really up to the excess of time that you personally spend playing video games. I can guarantee that most people who enjoyed this game were impressed by how little they were allowed to do. These same people aren't still playing it. As a mod, "The Stanley Parable" was a wonderful experiment. As a product, this "game" isn't worth the price tag. It is more of a "Did you get a kick out of the mod?.... Well I need money too." I give it a 5 for both the "portal-ish" aesthetics and the narrator's acting ability. Expand
  10. Nov 8, 2013
    I laughed for about 15 minutes. On the surface, the game is amusing and the concept is interesting. Unfortunately, it only takes an hour or two to grow stale. Nowhere near worth my $15

Parable: A simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson. The story in this parable is about a man named Stanley, whose job is to push certain keys on his keyboard in response to

Parable: A simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson.

The story in this parable is about a man named Stanley, whose job is to push certain keys on his keyboard in response to prompts on his monitor, and the lesson is "Don't play The Stanley Parable."
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    I know this game is made from HL mod, but I didn't really enjoy the game.
    There are a lot of reasons why I gave it 4:
    Zero: its probably made on portal engine and its possible to make this if you are a modder with a team. Nothing special about it yet. - First: You don't know where it ends. - Second: a lot of nonsense here and there. - Third: You don't have any aim in the game
    I know this game is made from HL mod, but I didn't really enjoy the game.
    There are a lot of reasons why I gave it 4:

- First: You don't know where it ends.
    - Second: a lot of nonsense here and there.
    - Third: You don't have any aim in the game including the thing "Maybe you would like to know more about it". Well, I don't want to explore empty offices over and over again just to find new nonsense ****.
    - Fourth: I don't like this kind of voice acting. It Too polite. I don't enjoy overplaying. I don't enjoy being treaten with respect in game. Im completely tired of this. Some character in game should tell me that Im an idiotic player and that nobody cares if I would ever complete the game. That would motivate me these days way more than usual.
    - Fifth: you just wonder and push the buttons and get entertain. Thats pretty much all about this game.
  12. Dec 7, 2013
    Very engaging. but no re-playability. I love the humor (think GLaDOS from Portal 2 minus the hate). The game is very novel, and good for an hour or two of cheap entertainment. Not great as a game, but a wonderful alternative to going to a movie on a saturday evening.
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    Watching walk-through videos on Youtube will give you more joy than playing actual game. To be honest this would be great youtube game, where you need to click a link to choose a path.
  14. Dec 12, 2013
    There're some critics over there who like to speculate about games as an art form argument. This game is for them. You can easily extend it by thinking about it, and there's a lot of room for getting philosophical. That what journalists and critics look for. Boring as hell for actual player.
  15. Dec 15, 2013
    I haven't played the real game, just the demo. I was not impressed. I've seen so many positive evaluations of the game i played the demo hoping to see a hint of what people like about it. I saw nothing. Got to be the most boring thing i've ever seen. Sorry. I give it 2 points for originality.
  16. Jan 11, 2014
    Overrated game in my opinion. Had a lot of fun for the 3 or so hours it took to see just about every ending and laughed multiple times at the game humor, but i see little reason to replay it or ever really come back to unless i felt like being a masochist and getting some of the ridiculous steam achievements.
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    Now, I have not given this game as much time as some, but I have given it a good handful of hours and I did find it quite enjoyable and humorous. However, the narration being good and clever, and the branching "stories" that you cause lose some appeal when one considers that he must replay a lot of the same things to find the alternate branches. Within my first 2 hours I had literallyNow, I have not given this game as much time as some, but I have given it a good handful of hours and I did find it quite enjoyable and humorous. However, the narration being good and clever, and the branching "stories" that you cause lose some appeal when one considers that he must replay a lot of the same things to find the alternate branches. Within my first 2 hours I had literally found roughly 30 percent of what the game had to offer, and after playing a few more hours I was certainly getting tired of reliving the first moments of the game (...or the later moments) to try and discover more twists and outcomes.

The game is truly unique and the narration is well done, and it is quite funny. So why did I give this a lowish score? It is what it is, and it isn't much more than that. There's a very clear limit to what can be done and this limit can be reached very quickly in comparison with many, or most, other games. The developers clearly knew this as one of the achievements is to not play the game for 5 years. Perhaps, for a lower price, I would have a more favorable review but I do believe it was a little too high to warrant the amount of content and the repetitive nature of the game.

It was a fun ride, but a little short and I'm unfortunately left with little desire to seek out the rest of the meat. Which is a reasonable portion of the game, but still not enough content in the mean-time to warrant the play time you invest to find the rest.

I think, the reason that this game has such high scores overall is because those reviews are being made by less hardcore gamers whose expectations may not be as lofty as my own. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I didn't know it would be as short lived as it is. For a casual gamer who doesn't mind spending just an hour or two playing a game (most likely, those who have the game purchased for them by their parents) I'm sure the game is a delightful departure from the norm, but for those like me, we expect more in the way of content.

What it does, it does do well. But it doesn't do all that much and that's the most glaring problem I have with it - and this is a big problem for a video game, casual or not.

My rating is a 4. It's a fun concept and decent entertainment, but not for nearly long enough at the price and the concept isn't exactly revolutionary - it's been done in most open ended games - the only difference is here we have a narrator who comments on what we choose to do, or to ignore. I guess I thought I'd get a little bit more playtime out of it.
  18. Oct 17, 2013
    Keep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not countingKeep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not counting achievements, for all the endings), but for the quality of the time spent, this is very much worth it. There are games probably only two times the length of this that sell for $50 or $60. Do not hesitate to pay the $15. It is worth the quality of this game. Expand
  19. Oct 20, 2013
    This Game. Words cannot describe it. Every moment you are in the game you are just thinking wtf is going on? There's just so many endings it's hard to get all of them in just one play session. I'm still trying to get all combinations of actions that lead to endings, everything you do changes the game.
  20. Oct 17, 2013
    Is this a game? I don't know, but what I do know is that it's a wonderful thing no matter what it is. It's not conventional, but since it's a game based around deconstructing convention, I think that works perfectly in its favor.
  21. Oct 19, 2013
    To explain why this game is so brilliant and genius would be to rob it of its true value. You must play this game. It's the perfect deconstruction of the relationships among the player, the protagonist, and the storyline. It offers the player the most agency I've ever seen in a video game, but at the same time doesn't. It's beyond words.
  22. Oct 22, 2013
    As long as you know it's NOT a video game but a video tour there shouldn't be any problems...As a video tour I have watched it with all the graphic settings at maximum and have been able to watch it at stereoscopic 3D...Needles to say it looks stunning to watch and makes the experience much more enjoyable...I also give points to the fact it supports not only that but even a Game pad...SoAs long as you know it's NOT a video game but a video tour there shouldn't be any problems...As a video tour I have watched it with all the graphic settings at maximum and have been able to watch it at stereoscopic 3D...Needles to say it looks stunning to watch and makes the experience much more enjoyable...I also give points to the fact it supports not only that but even a Game pad...So from technical point of view I don't have any complains...I can't judge it as a game and as long as I could find more places to go I liked how things evolved...You could actually prefer not to go anywhere and just close your office door...The Narrator reacts to your decisions and that's the whole deal here,nothing more nothing less...As long as it lasts, its bearable...The moment you can't find any more places to go you can drain it down the toilet and go searching for something with more substance...A week after watching that you would forget you ever touched it...There is nothing here with lasting impression and that's a deal breaker... Expand
  23. Oct 19, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a remarkably polarizing game. Some may dislike or deride it for its somewhat minimalist gameplay and unorthodox plot structure; I personally found it to be an utterly enjoyable game that reminded me very much of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels from my youth.

Before I go on, I must stress two things: First, this is a game with little gameplay other than walking around and sometimes clicking on things; if you primarily play games for their gameplay, then this is not the title for you. Second, it is almost impossible to go into anything with much detail without majorly spoiling an ending and possibly the entire experience.

I loved The Stanley Parable. The first and best thing about the game is Kevan Brighting's wonderful voice acting as The Narrator. As the only character in the game other than the titular protagonist, The Narrator will describe, comment upon, and even try to shape your every move in the game. He will scold, ridicule and even plead with you depending on what you do in response to his ever-present prodding.

The premise of the game is probably best exemplified by the first Choice: As you step into a room with two doors, you enter through the one on your left...or so the narrator says, anyway. This and other Choices with a capital C shape your experience: will you follow the narrated plot to the conclusion planned out for you, or will you rebel and try to go off the rails into the unknown?

For me, the strongest elements in the game were those of exploration and discovery. I would always try to pick away at random bits of scenery in the hopes of discovering a hidden secret or hang around in a room to hear some extra narration. Another plus is that the dev team seemed to think of everything: for a game that is seemingly so confined and linear, there are seemingly endless permutations in the gaming experience, and there are no bugs but merely features in disguise.

The Stanley Parable is an excellent choice if you're looking for a game that messes with your head, makes you chuckle, or simply spins a good yarn. It doesn't offer any elements of difficulty, combat, strategy, or even jumping, but it does tell you a story, even if you're trying to make things difficult for it.
  24. Jan 18, 2014
    Short (and not costly) but stunning. Reminds me of reading Italo Calvino's novels, as this isn't a game so much as a walk through wonderland. The narration is extremely well done and succeeds at being funny at all the right times.
  25. Nov 4, 2013
    Complete garbage...The voice acting is quite nice, but maybe after 30 seconds you realise its not very well written. Maybe if you like surrealism this would be fun..I'm glad I didnt buy it. I played it for about an hour and a bit and it gave me a headache
  26. Oct 20, 2013
    The game makes us think about our choices, and seems to demonstrate that our life itself is just a voiceover, completely manipulated.
    Our life itself is following the rules, and we are completely controlled.
    I think it it is a metaphor about following orders and find personal happiness so that everyone has an idea own 'unique' about 'personal fulfillment'. (note that just because we
    Our life itself is following the rules, and we are completely controlled.

(note that just because we follow the narrator already conveys the idea that our life is a'' story'')
  27. Feb 20, 2014
    Is impossible not to give this game a 10/10. This game redefine what means a story in a video game, and redefine what is a game, is very hard to explain why this game is so extraordinary, you need to play it to see how good is it.
  28. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It was one of the most enjoyable game experiences of 2013 for me. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but this is a game definitely worth checking out. Saying anything else would spoil the game. 10/10.
  29. Oct 17, 2013
    First of all this review does not contain any information about the story. The best way to go into the Stanley Parable is to know as little as possible about it beforehand, but while I will say some actions have similar outcomes to the original mod, they are redone and everything is mostly new. And for people like me who have played the original mod it doesn't taint the experience. In factFirst of all this review does not contain any information about the story. The best way to go into the Stanley Parable is to know as little as possible about it beforehand, but while I will say some actions have similar outcomes to the original mod, they are redone and everything is mostly new. And for people like me who have played the original mod it doesn't taint the experience. In fact I'll just say it right now; if you enjoyed the original Stanley Parable, go and buy this game immediately. But anyway, I have waited for this game since I heard of it over a year ago. I went in with my expectations high and was not disappointed. People seem to be up in arms though on the community hub right now about a certain achievement for completing the game in 4 minutes, and others are calling it another walking simulator like Dear Esther. Firstly, The Stanley Parable will give you as much playtime as you will let it. You CAN storm through the game and get the main ending in four or five minutes, but there are so many choices to make, there is so much dialogue to hear and so many outcomes to discover. Granted, if you compare it to other games it is quite short I've been playing it for 90 minutes and I'm starting to run out of different things to do but it's quantity over quality, really. For instance, Saints Row 4's story lasted about 8 hours but to me it was sooooo repetitive and dragged out. This reminds me greatly of the original Portal. Beautifully made, thought-provoking and so little that I would want to change about it. Secondly, I am someone who very much dislikes Dear Esther. The Stanley Parable is nothing like Dear Esther. mkay. In short, the Stanley Parable is, to me, a truly brilliant game and I would implore you go and purchase it. Expand
  30. Oct 17, 2013
    This is easily one of the most well written and enjoyable games I have ever played, and was so good that I was compelled to write a review about it. It is a crime to not enjoy this game, and I urge any person unsure of whether or not to purchase it to download the demo and watch the trailers, because none of them are related to the main game, and they are all related to the main game.
  31. Oct 18, 2013
    Just giving a review of this game would spoil the fun of the game, diving in headfirst and not expecting anything from it will give you the best experience in The Stanley Parable. Stop reading the reviews now and just go buy the game for yourself and play, I promise it won't be disappointing.
  32. Oct 18, 2013
    This game is beautiful. You play as Stanley, a man whose thoughts and actions are constantly voiced by the Narrator. You can chose to follow the narrators instructions, or disobey. I can't really say more without spoiling the game. If you dislike games based on story, this game isn't for you. For everyone else, this game will finish with you questioning what it means to exist.
  33. Oct 20, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you'reThe Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you're controlling Stanley, not the narrator.

There are many, many choices in this game, and they all have interesting consequences. I'm not going to spoil any choices (beyond the first), because the magic of The Stanley Parable is figuring it out yourself. It also helps that the humor in this game is great.

This game's demo is free, and you should play it. Seriously. Even if you plan to get this game, play the demo first, because the content is entirely different from the main game, and there's at least one joke from the demo that is referenced in the game. If you want more, check out the original Stanley Parable, which is also free. This game is a remake of that game with much more content.

This isn't much of a "game", but as a piece of interactive storytelling, it's wonderful. If you're curious, try the demo, and if you liked that, you'll love the main game. For me, it was definitely worth $15 and I would definitely recommend it. If I were to rate this game from one to ten, it would get an EIGHT! EIGHT! EIGHT!
  34. Dec 12, 2013
    Not worth paying for. This is a fun diversion for an hour. Good voice acting. That's it. I feel duped for having paid for it based on the positive reviews and nondescript game description. If I could complain and return it I would.

You could watch a video on youtube covering the complete game play in about 30 minutes and save yourself the cash for an actual game. How this got

How this got rated so well I'll never know. Maybe I'm just still bitter about having spent money on it.
  35. Oct 24, 2013
    Now that the corporate game producers have mastered the art of marketing to ignorant tasteless masses, indie developers are starting to catch on. Wreden's inability to craft a branching yet cohesive story is called upon ironically when the game is less interactive and more linear than titles from the early 90s, and excused by apologist fans as being intentional. Essentially what theNow that the corporate game producers have mastered the art of marketing to ignorant tasteless masses, indie developers are starting to catch on. Wreden's inability to craft a branching yet cohesive story is called upon ironically when the game is less interactive and more linear than titles from the early 90s, and excused by apologist fans as being intentional. Essentially what the Stanley Parable is is a software allegory for the hot new annoyance in the video game industry: that a game can be almost entirely empty, uninteractive, $5 or more per hour of gameplay (as high or higher than the favored "movie ticket" that fanboys usually mention), and can, in fact, be nothing more than a map pack for a first person shooter that would have been a free download back in the Quake days, and yet make at least hundreds of thousands of dollars. The "game" earns one point for the delivery of the narrator, who sounds like the male voice from Xtranormal, which almost makes me laugh. Expand
  36. Oct 19, 2013
    I will tell you about The Stanley Parable and I will not tell you about The Stanley Parable.
    This is the kind of game that heavily relies on breaking your expectations, and cutting right through that cynicism of "games not having comedic potential outside of parody" mentality a lot of people have this day. Because TSP will make you laugh. It will also make you cringe with confusion and looming uncertainty. It will also leave you wanting to play more of a brilliantly written and designed visual narrative like this!

I strongly urge anyone curious about this game, to try out the free demo first. It is a stand-alone product, and it's only purpose is to explain precisely what TSP is all about.
  37. Oct 17, 2013
    This game is the most brilliant piece of pure wonder I have ever played. So many choices to make, so many branches to find, it is just wonderful. The humor is absolutely spot on and to those that say it lacks emotion, I feel they have not explored enough of the possible areas/events that can take place nor have they actually tried to reflect on said events. The choices, as in anythingThis game is the most brilliant piece of pure wonder I have ever played. So many choices to make, so many branches to find, it is just wonderful. The humor is absolutely spot on and to those that say it lacks emotion, I feel they have not explored enough of the possible areas/events that can take place nor have they actually tried to reflect on said events. The choices, as in anything except for real life, are entirely laid out for you to find; obviously there is no true choice, as with any other game. So once you realize that truth then the 'choices' you make in The Stanley Parable actually seem quite momentous in how much they can effect the world. I also highly recommend playing the demo first as it is also a masterful little piece, and it gives nothing of the game away, and it is quite correct not to do so. Expand
  38. Oct 17, 2013
    Is this a game, a story, a parable, a fable, a life philosophy, or just a mind-screw? There are no answers in this game only questions, you interpret their meaning.
  39. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A brilliant game! I enjoyed every second of the game, especially based on how the office would change and the paths would change after you've done them before, like how the narrator would be like "Bla..Bla...Bla... You've done this before. Alright. Let's go." Or how when you answer the phone at one point there will be boxes EVERYWHERE next time you restart the game. Fantastic. Expand
  40. Oct 19, 2013
    Nice!!!!!Very fun unexpected, something interesting, did not expect it.....a game for most but not for all.Give it a try, Do it I tell ya, And God Bless!
  41. Oct 19, 2013
    We absolutely need more games like this one. One of those rare games where you find yourself laughing with tears. I haven't had so much fun in a game since Portal 1. Very witty and creative.
  42. Oct 19, 2013
    Any information about this game would pretty much ruin it. You explore an office looking for your co-workers and you are presented with simple decisions like which door to take. It's very enjoyable and there are tons of alternate endings and hidden easter eggs. Not a game in the traditional sense but a great experience.
  43. Oct 20, 2013
    This game is made by a narrative genius. The only way to describe the story is "Mind f*ck". The controls are quite simple even though I am disappointed there was no sprinting option. The only problem with this game is the story is a double edge sword. On one side it is brilliant in every way but it is also endlessly running around taking different routes which get tiring after an hour. IThis game is made by a narrative genius. The only way to describe the story is "Mind f*ck". The controls are quite simple even though I am disappointed there was no sprinting option. The only problem with this game is the story is a double edge sword. On one side it is brilliant in every way but it is also endlessly running around taking different routes which get tiring after an hour. I suppose it depends on what kind of person you are really, but I recommend buying it since it is so cheap anyway. Expand
  44. Nov 7, 2013
    0 because this is not a game. Sorry, but why would anyone buy this? I refuse to accept this as the future of gaming, because games should be games. Skyrim is a game, Democracy 3 is a game, Minesweeper is a game, this is not. It would be ok if it's 1 or 2$ but 15? Seriously? For this? It's fun for 10 minutes, after that it's annoying as hell.
  45. Nov 4, 2013
    Magnificent. Sophie's World for gamers. Simply no doubt this is a 10/10, after only an hour or two. If you have a curious mind, don't investigate this game. Just get it.
  46. Oct 20, 2013
    I loved this game as a mod and it is even better now. Yes, it is a bit shorter than most games. This is reflected in the price which is much lower than most games. This has everything the mod had and much more. three times more script according to the developers, and much more polished and up to date as well. This game achieved perfectly what it set out to do. This game is exactly what iI loved this game as a mod and it is even better now. Yes, it is a bit shorter than most games. This is reflected in the price which is much lower than most games. This has everything the mod had and much more. three times more script according to the developers, and much more polished and up to date as well. This game achieved perfectly what it set out to do. This game is exactly what i love about indie games in that it brings a new concept of what a game can be to the mainstream. Often these indie games fail, but occasionally a gem will sort itself out of the rest. This is one of those gems. Of course, not all games are meant for everyone. This is one of those games that you ether love or hate. I happen to think it is fantastic. Especially the broom closet ending. Expand
  47. Oct 21, 2013
    One of the most powerful game experience of all time. If you are not a cod kiddy and have half a brain (having an entire one and maybe some understanding of narrative won't hurt) download the demo, gaze and wonder, than pick up the game.
  48. Oct 28, 2013
    So, I bought this "game" for $15 during a Steam sale I regretted my decision almost immediately.

This game has a great user rating (which means far more to me than any critic rating) and after watching the trailers and reading some reviews, I decided to take a chance. Now to be fair, I knew this wasn't your typical game, but touted as rather a "movie-type" game that you really

Now to be fair, I knew this wasn't your typical game, but touted as rather a "movie-type" game that you really navigated through; however, the payoff was to be amusing, twisted, deep, though-provoking and every other type of adjective your typical hipster would throw at a game like this.

I found this game to be none of that, albeit slightly amusing at moments. The narration is awesome; however, it, along with the games "jokes" wear thin pretty quick and make the game tedious and boring.

After about three hours of playing and approximately 2.5 hours of boredom and disinterest, I finally shut the game off and watched the walk-thru on You Tube. It was literally the same experience as "playing" the game, only more convenient and free. After watching all the possible endings I just shrugged my shoulders and immediately uninstalled.

Now quick disclaimer: I love developers who take chances with games, and on that note, I totally give these guys props; however, taking chances does not a good game make and this game, on any level, is not good. Save your money and just watch the walk-thru on You Tube.
  49. Nov 8, 2013
    This isn't really a game. All you do is either listen to a narrator and go through a passage or don't listen to him and go through the other passage, that's it. Unless you like going through doors in a game and listening to a person telling you to go through a bunch of specific doors, this game isn't really worth it.
  50. Dec 19, 2013
    I believe that whoever rated the game so highly is because either he's afraid of being called "dump" and criticized for not understanding a so-called "smart" game (similarly to the trailer of the game where the narrator faces a supposable critic called raphael with irony and derision) or his lack of intelligence makes him consider this game as ****

You expect it to be all complexed

You expect it to be all complexed and clever but in fact is boring and makes you wonder why are you still playing. It's so unintereresting and a total waste of time.
  51. Oct 25, 2013
    Metacritic reviews make me hate humanity.
    I was disappointed to find that there isn't all that more narrative content than the original mod, but the quality of the new content is amazing, I still believe the adventure line will lead me to freedom.
  52. Oct 21, 2013
    Incredible proof that games, can indeed be art. Easily one of the best narrative focused games to come out this year. A must play for all mature gamers.
  53. Apr 20, 2014
    To sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quiteTo sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quite interesting to find out for yourself... but with all these good things, there is a downside... It's repetitive. And I don't think you'll be playing this for more than 2 hours. 6/10 Expand
  54. Apr 16, 2014
    First of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively becauseFirst of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively because I know that ignorant hipsters love to highlight the marvelous qualities that this vacuum does not contain. But, as it does not contain anything (quite the same as the modern art painting) you can put there whatever a tortuous mind of a pseudo-intellectual wants to. Expand
  55. Nov 5, 2013
    It's really surprising, frankly, to see the infinitely positive reviews centered around "ITS FUNNY CAUSE ITS IRONIC THO". Even if it is a joke, I still payed $15 dollars for what is, not only a walking simulator, but an ironic walking simulator that has less gameplay than Heavy Rain. It's charming and witty, but to call it a "good game" is a bit of a stretch. Heck, to call this a "game" isIt's really surprising, frankly, to see the infinitely positive reviews centered around "ITS FUNNY CAUSE ITS IRONIC THO". Even if it is a joke, I still payed $15 dollars for what is, not only a walking simulator, but an ironic walking simulator that has less gameplay than Heavy Rain. It's charming and witty, but to call it a "good game" is a bit of a stretch. Heck, to call this a "game" is a stretch. What people seem to forget is that, even if it's to convey comedy or a theme, input is not equal to good gameplay. If that were true, then my Inspector Gadget 2 Interactive DVD Segment would be up for game of the year. Expand
  56. Dec 3, 2013
    Unblvbly overrated. Humans just forgot how really free games looks like. Unblvbly overrated. ZERO re-playability. ZERO creativity. ZERO fun. ZERO smarts. Pffff hate it.
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    Clever game that really made me laugh and interest me. I would recommend the game to anyone whose a fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Really great voice acting also.
  58. Mar 11, 2014
    This game genuinely made me feel like I was wasting my life. I actually felt suicidal while playing, wishing I could somehow cause the game to end entirely by having my character kill himself. Going through this game is tedious and somewhat torturous. I wasn't entirely bored by it, it was interesting enough and amusing enough to keep me playing for a few hours. But make no mistake, this isThis game genuinely made me feel like I was wasting my life. I actually felt suicidal while playing, wishing I could somehow cause the game to end entirely by having my character kill himself. Going through this game is tedious and somewhat torturous. I wasn't entirely bored by it, it was interesting enough and amusing enough to keep me playing for a few hours. But make no mistake, this is a legitimate walking simulator with less gameplay functions than the new Amnesia. It's a game for people with limited perspective. If you're impressed by psuedo-intellectual ramblings you'll enjoy this far more than me. This was nothing new, nothing groundbreaking, nothing smart, nothing innovative. It was none of these things to me.

If I had to describe it in one sentence it would be this: It's like portal except there's no challenge and you wonder when your character will fall down and expire so you can move on with your life.

Also the broom closet ending was f**king cash.
  59. Dec 15, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound messageOne of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound message backed by a brilliant and intriguing soundtrack. An altogether beautiful game. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2013
    The game is interesting for about an hour, after that repetition, repetition with minor twists. Not enough to keep me satisfied in any case.

With all the good reviews here I really expected more.
  61. Oct 31, 2013
    This is a game that isn't a game. It is an adventure that isn't an adventure. It is a oxymoron that isn't an oxymoron.

This is a game where there is no action, this is a narrative story. If you look for all the little secrets, it'll take you about 4 hours. If you rush through every ending and don't bother with any of the funny little hidden things, maybe about 2 hours. If you look at the achievements and then decide not to buy the game because the game can be sped run in less than 4 minutes and 22 seconds, just remember how Mario Bros. can be finished in less than 5 minutes.

If you like the narrator you will love it, if you hate the narrator you will hate it. End of story, personally I liked him and his humor so this is a 9/10 for me. If you don't like him you'll probably rate it anywhere from a 0-3.
  62. Jan 7, 2014
    An amazingly unique game which is more an experience than an actual game. In a similar vein to Dear Esther the narrative and story are quite amazing and while it lacks some replayability the limited time you will spend in Stanley's world (or the narrators?) is quite amazing and touching.
  63. Dec 17, 2013
    I don't know why anybody would play this for more than an hour. To explore a drab office and drab corridors with no characters? To find the many endings? Sure there are many endings but I don't care about them and I don't see why anybody would as I don't find them rewarding. The game is a bit pretentious and tries to make a point about life/video game playing. Sure, I don't dispute itI don't know why anybody would play this for more than an hour. To explore a drab office and drab corridors with no characters? To find the many endings? Sure there are many endings but I don't care about them and I don't see why anybody would as I don't find them rewarding. The game is a bit pretentious and tries to make a point about life/video game playing. Sure, I don't dispute it makes those points but...again, I don't care because it was not entertaining or captivating. I do like the tone, very similar to Portal but not nearly as good. Watch it on youtube if you are curious. Don't buy it. Expand
  64. Oct 27, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is indeed a fun experience. One cannot say much about it without spoiling some of its effectiveness, but it's sufficient to know that it's a first person exploration game which revolves around the relationship between the player, the videogame character, the story and game design, as well as the illusion of choice and other such themes.

The atmosphere and

The atmosphere and voice-acting are great, incurring a mixture of mystery and mild discomfort, definitely reminiscent of Portal in that regard, while the gameplay and graphics are extremely simple and functional.

I would recommend it unconditionnally were it not for its price, I consider 12€ a bit steep for something that, all things considered, is an experience rather than a game, and a pretty short one at that. But if that's not a barrier for you, then go ahead, it's a satisfying little trip.
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    I have never laughed so much playing a game as I did playing The Stanley Parable. I've played for over an hour and i have yet to see every ending and easter egg. While i don't think it is quite worth the full price, any sale price would make this game well worth the price.
  66. Oct 22, 2013
    So I read some of the reviewers who gave this game a 0. Are you kidding me? Oh it's boring. Oh it's a story about breaking the 4th wall. Oh your choices don't affect anything. That's not the point of the game you idiots!!

The game questions life and how your choices impact the world. It reminds people how they should live their life and ask themselves if their choices are even valid or significant? Perhaps my interpretation is wrong, but I wonder why people whine about wasting money on this game when they could have played the original mod free on Moddb. It's technically the same game except this new version is somewhat HD and has more "choices" and "endings."

This game won't be interesting to all, but giving this game a 0/10 is truly biased and idiotic. The graphics in this game was pretty low. You can't call this an "HD" remake without HD textures. As for game-play, it's not repetitive if you're smart enough to make check-point saves throughout your gameplay. Please think of this game as a book... in a videogame format. The main menu and pause screens needs work.

With all that, I give this game a 7/10. I hope you enjoy my simple review.
  67. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is very interesting,i have played the half life 2 mod before that,and some endings are the same.
    I enjoyed how the world was changing or repeating when i walked trough a door,and how the voice told some "rude" things like "you don't listen" or "you are doing all this for the achievement?" and i really couldn't stop laughing when he said something to me.
  68. Oct 28, 2013
    With it's 'Create Your Own Story' aspect, the witty and hilarious narration provided by Kevan Brightin, and it's all around sense of wonder, The Stanley Parable is shaping up to be one of the best games of the year.
  69. Oct 29, 2013
    Fun. Intelligent. Brilliant. Inonvative. Like Dear Esther this is one of those games which shows you video games can be much more than shooting bad guys and realistic graphics. If you want to try something new, enjoy a little intelligent comedy and great voice acting; this sure is your game.
  70. Oct 31, 2013
    A great game. Just trust me. I cannot spoil anything. The 2011 mod was amazing, so is this one. A little short however. Just amazing. You can but it on steam for $15.
  71. Dec 17, 2013
    First of all, this is not a real game. While the idea behind the "game" is quite interesting, the design and the why it carries out is quite boring. I got a good headache from this game just by doing the same thing over and over again.
    It's not worth the 2+ hours of play and not the 15$ price tag.
  72. Nov 8, 2013
    I am delighted to see people saying t is isn't a real game because that shows their sheer lack of understanding of this game. It is a game, perhaps not the kind that "they" are used to. This is a situation much like Inception; the people who did not "get it" did not like it.
    So, The Stanley Parable, is above all else highly unique. It is also thought provoking, witty, charming, eerie, and funny all in but a few hours, well done.
  73. Dec 2, 2013
    Bought this "game" in a sale... and glad I didn't pay full price.

Played for a total of 52 minutes, completed the game and quit... found myself yawning throughout.

Like many people I really don't know how the hell this got such a high score.

Really disappointing!
  74. Nov 11, 2013
    I know this number seems very harsh, especially given the outstanding reviews that cover this game like sweet barbeque over a nice rack of ribs, but bear with me. The game is -amazing- in that it breaks the trend so hard and delves you into the world of choices and different outcomes of those choices that puts many games to shame. What's the point in your choices in games if not to affectI know this number seems very harsh, especially given the outstanding reviews that cover this game like sweet barbeque over a nice rack of ribs, but bear with me. The game is -amazing- in that it breaks the trend so hard and delves you into the world of choices and different outcomes of those choices that puts many games to shame. What's the point in your choices in games if not to affect the ultimate outcome, right?

It's an amazing chance to show off the fact that games should HAVE this. The ability to break from the mold and create something with the player's choice that isn't just the cookie cutter 'good or evil' 'did you finish enough achievements' endings. It should be about the decisions you've made, and if nothing else, the Stanley Parable shines so hard, it could bleed out the eyes of the blindest man.

But that's where the core of the gameplay fails, as well. See the game gives you choices, but no actual gameplay. You have options, yes that's nice, you have multiple endings, a shining example of what newer games with the extra space in them with the newer formats to put them in should have. But what effort did you put in? The most effort you put into the game is to do the 'door click' achievement or the 'white board' ending, which is less of a task and more of a time burner.

So I guess the end result is that it's a game of choices and endings, rather than of travel and triumph. I guess you could say that, while the game has done some amazing things, even getting the replay value that few games could ever compare to, it also falls short in that there's nothing lost in doing anything as you always start over and just try the whole world over again along another path that took you the same thirty seconds as before.

This game does some AMAZING things right, but the glaring issue of it being (ultimately) one giant ending rather than an actual game hurts. Sure it's nice to always have that cake at the end of a game, but what's the point if you get cake every time no matter what you do, only to go back to the beginning and try ANOTHER cake within five minutes? Sure it tastes amazing, but after you've had five other cakes back to back, you start to worry that you're scarfing down those tasty tasty pixels just a bit too fast.

The whole game can actually be fully explored in the space of an hour and a half, and fun as it is, it can be a bit tedious when you've heard the same line time. But then again, the Narrator has such a nice voice, even if it does eventually get old, and they do a good job of mixxing up the dialogue when it's obvious that the same lines over and over could burn a hole through your head.

For the mixxing up of the world, bringing a deep philosophical point, making a clear and straight forward game with many endings, the Stanley Parable would get an eight or nine... Except for one problem. There's no challenge or difficulty. You see, a story is a great -story- because of the philosophy, clear goals, and strong endings, but a good game challenges the player and gives them a reason to want to go back in, something to overcome, and most importantly... A reward for achieving something that you had to put effort into.

As a game, the Stanley Parable feels much like Mirror's Edge in that it's a stepping stone to something so much greater, but by itself feels like it's wanting or slightly off kilter. I admire and love the team that made this game and look forward to any work they ever create, and applaud them til my hands bleed for creating this, but it's still lacking in 'gameplay' despite the amazing job it does. For that it sits at an eight out of ten. A reluctant eight. The kind that I do simply because I enjoyed the game so much, even if it didn't feel like a game at the time.
  75. Nov 19, 2013
    I played this game straight for about 4 hours. It was an incredible experience that is definitely worth the money. My only gripe is that it is a little bit on the short side but its still an enjoyable adventure.
  76. Dec 17, 2013
    This is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with aThis is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with a superb voice acting performance and brilliant creativity, and what have you got? The Game of the Year. Expand
  77. Dec 24, 2013
    The Stanley Parable. This will resonate in my head for a very long time. I'm not a difficult customer demanding something special. But this... I don't understand why the 'game' has been rated so high. After 10th restart of a story I gave up. I can strongly recommend to watch a bit of the game on youtube and then decide, if you'll spend your money on this 'product'. I'm actually upset IThe Stanley Parable. This will resonate in my head for a very long time. I'm not a difficult customer demanding something special. But this... I don't understand why the 'game' has been rated so high. After 10th restart of a story I gave up. I can strongly recommend to watch a bit of the game on youtube and then decide, if you'll spend your money on this 'product'. I'm actually upset I spent any money on this game. I'm giving it one point, because the game actually starts up without crashing. Everything beyond this point is a rubbish. Expand
  78. Jan 1, 2014
    The game was semi-interesting for about 45 minutes. At that point I had about a third of the endings and was left with no desire to experience the others. No replayability to it at all.
  79. Feb 5, 2014
    Listen. This is both for the people panning this game, and the people who don't know the point of it, or if you just want to know what this game is about. Firstly, this game is great in its own way. Although short, and with limited, but many endings that give this game I'd say about a 10 hour play-through (with countless more getting the achievements) this game is proving the point thatListen. This is both for the people panning this game, and the people who don't know the point of it, or if you just want to know what this game is about. Firstly, this game is great in its own way. Although short, and with limited, but many endings that give this game I'd say about a 10 hour play-through (with countless more getting the achievements) this game is proving the point that games are in itself linear. It doesn't matter what you do, it's the end result that almost always is the same. Choices are meaningless. This game attempts to reject that, and say "make your own decision" by saying "Don't make your own decision". In this game, choices matter and you get a drastically different result depending on the simplest of decisions such as going through the left door or the right door. Secondly, if I said anything about the actual game besides the fact you can make the rare interaction with objects and go left right forwards and backwards, it would be a spoiler.

To all of your panning this game, think of it more as a statement, not a game. Besides, what is a game? In my opinion, it's anything that can be interacted with. So this game meets that category. This game is a statement that video games tropes need to change. Choose a path. That path is different than the main one, and just as interesting. This is the true meaning of the Stanley Parable. Think on it.
  80. Apr 14, 2014
    i was expecting for more endings... but anyways, i had to try all 18 and it was soo much fun!! just try, keep on trying til you know you completed all of the endings. an original game which guarantee you some fun! 9/10 :)
  81. Jun 25, 2014
    Bought game on sale for ~$8. Thought I was getting a bargain. Was expecting hours of gameplay, dozens of endings and a well thought out ending to tie the game together.....if you have similar expectations, I want to warn you in advance.
    The game can be played through most endings (without being too pedantic) in an hour or so. There are no puzzles to solve here. The game is very linear in that there aren't really that many endings and 99% of objects aren't interactable.
    Only time I smiled was when I wondered if it was possible to fall onto something and found out I could, and the narrator reacted to my action. But that one moment was pretty much the only good moment in the game. I thought the game would be clever and make me think. I think what the game tries to do is criticise the linearity of certain games. But I am a GTA / Just Cause fan, where the worlds are 100x more open world than the Stanley Parable, so from my point of view it didnt really make me think.
    This game is marketed as a mystery. What is the Stanley Parable you might ask? It is a mystery people are buying into..thats pretty much it
  82. Oct 18, 2013
    Speechless. You can complete the game in like 1,5 hours but jeez... I've played for like 6 hours so far and it still amazes me.
    NOTE: If you are into hardcore FPS/MMO and just dont give a abut indie games, don't bother
  83. Oct 17, 2013
    This game is just absolutely brilliant. It combines the perfect amount of comedy, confusion, and detail to the just the right amount. They use confusion to keep the player guessing, comedy to keep the player the amused, and detail to show just how awesome this game is. There are literally a ton of hidden jokes that you cannot find with one playthrough. And of course they break the 4th wallThis game is just absolutely brilliant. It combines the perfect amount of comedy, confusion, and detail to the just the right amount. They use confusion to keep the player guessing, comedy to keep the player the amused, and detail to show just how awesome this game is. There are literally a ton of hidden jokes that you cannot find with one playthrough. And of course they break the 4th wall at just the right time. The only people I don't recommend this to are achievment hunters, and morons who don't understand a true game wheen they see one. Expand
  84. Oct 19, 2013
    The Stanley Parable (TSP) is a wonderful exploration of video games mechanics, narrative devices and agency. Without spoiling anything, it subtly addresses mainstream games for lazy design and uninspired game play while also touching issues such as the susceptibility of an individual to false authority, routine, bad habits, or even propaganda.

All that in an amazingly voice-acted

All that in an amazingly voice-acted package full of Easter eggs, good humor, and sarcasm, which also breaks the fourth wall on multiple occasions.

The mere fact that the original free HL mod got enough attention to warrant this excellent HD remix, is a confirmation that we can expect more quality from games to come. I'm sure that TSP will influence some gamers to demand less of mindless action and linearity in games they play and I'm also convinced that TSP will inspire some game developers to handle the gravity of choice and illusion of choice in their games more realistically, thus improving gaming experience for all.

For this and for a ton of new content delivered in professional quality, I believe the highest grade for TSP is well deserved.
  85. Oct 17, 2013
    From the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´tFrom the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´t know that this game is based on 2011 source mod, with same name. If demo was not enough try that and you will be sure that you want this game. For game at this price point the graphics is very good and does its job, game runs under almost 10 years old source engine, which shows its age. I´m able to give this game 10/10 for amazing branching story, epic amount of fun and superb narration. I want to see what will Galactic Cafe do next. Expand
  86. Oct 17, 2013
    Stanley Parable. Steam PC. Score 10. Demo is a gem. So are you. This review is 150 characters because I love you; and steam; and my cat; I shaved my c
  87. Oct 20, 2013
    People that are giving it low ratings are just hating on the game. This game is completely original in many ways. Which is hard to come by now these days.

This game has numerous choices and many outcomes. You will spend lots of time figuring out each ending and every choice you can make. I've spent 7 hours so far playing it and I'm still finding new choices. A 10/10 must buy for those that want to have fun and choose what you want to do while playing.
  88. Oct 18, 2013
    A game about breaking the fourth wall that's about as subtle and complex as the Three Stooges.

If you want to play an actually complex and subtle game about breaking the fourth wall, play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
  89. Oct 19, 2013
    It's been so long since a game surprised me with it's originality and satisfied my curiosity. The game is about following the narrator's story, and how much you want to deviate. It's a constant narrative between the player and the narrator, and in the end the game plays you as much as you play it.
  90. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Stanley Parable is the best game ever created, I played it as much as it played me... The Stanley Parable is about [Insert Here]. Yes, the [Insert Here] is really great in this game and it's very much like how the [Insert Here] is in real life. Don't be fooled, [Insert Here] is real and is used by the [Insert Here] to [Insert Here] the masses... 10/10/10 Expand
  91. Oct 21, 2013
    Whenever I complete a game, I ask myself "would I have been content watching someone else play this game?" The Stanley Parable is one of those few games along side with Gone Home, Dear Esther, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs that I have answered "Yes" to that question. In the barest form, the Stanley Parable is a walking simulator with an interactive choice driven audio book attached toWhenever I complete a game, I ask myself "would I have been content watching someone else play this game?" The Stanley Parable is one of those few games along side with Gone Home, Dear Esther, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs that I have answered "Yes" to that question. In the barest form, the Stanley Parable is a walking simulator with an interactive choice driven audio book attached to it. Whenever I started watching YouTube videos on the first Batman Arkham game to decide if I wanted to buy it or not, I had to desire to play the game. I wanted to overcome the challenges myself and after getting 100% on Asylum and City, I can say that I achieved that. I beat the Joker, Penguin, Bane, Thug #427, and the Riddler. I stopped Hugo Strange! I overcame those challenges not someone else. I had to deal with the consequences of failing a particular section. The Stanley Parable presents no challenges, no reason to play the game after you have experienced every ending, and no way to fail the game besides not at least getting one ending. The only reason I can see why you would want to play the game versus watching someone else play is the inquisitive thought you will have when the person takes one choice over the other. You will ask yourself what would happen. However, I did not feel any sort of accomplishment playing this game. I felt the same hollow feeling when I played Dear Esther, Gone Home, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs as I asked the game as if It would talk back "is this it? Is this all you have to offer?". I felt like I had wasted money, that I had fallen into the trap of my friends proclaiming the game's greatness and brilliance, that I had given into the hype of the game. Expand
  92. Oct 30, 2013
    You'll only like this game if you like running in circles or like to see the same stuff you just past but then come across it a hundred more times.. I don't understand one bit of it, is no storyline at all to it and i don't think its really all that fun(making circles), however the puzzling is pretty fun. All i have left to say is, i am 100% happy that i did'nt pay for this peace of crap.You'll only like this game if you like running in circles or like to see the same stuff you just past but then come across it a hundred more times.. I don't understand one bit of it, is no storyline at all to it and i don't think its really all that fun(making circles), however the puzzling is pretty fun. All i have left to say is, i am 100% happy that i did'nt pay for this peace of crap. $15 to watch yourself make all kinds of loops, just like listening to a broken record player. You can get to outside less than half an hour but then if you choose next time to go a totally different route then the game lasts much longer, i dont understand that at all. Would NOT recommend. Expand
  93. Oct 30, 2013
    This is a game you will love completely or hate completely. I enjoyed the game a lot but I can see how others would not like the game, very story driven but not much action (but for a game like this it shouldn't have much)
  94. Oct 18, 2013
    I'll be brief: I usually enjoy games like this, or, "interactive experiences". It was definitely thought-provoking and immersing, but I feel that, while it did not necessarily need to be, nor am I LOOKING to 'kill time' or anything, I felt somewhat disappointed whilst playing it. I would get to a certain part of the game feeling as if I only just scratched the surface of what's to come, asI'll be brief: I usually enjoy games like this, or, "interactive experiences". It was definitely thought-provoking and immersing, but I feel that, while it did not necessarily need to be, nor am I LOOKING to 'kill time' or anything, I felt somewhat disappointed whilst playing it. I would get to a certain part of the game feeling as if I only just scratched the surface of what's to come, as if the game's title would again re-appear, as if I'd secretly been just playing a tutorial, only to realize instead that, it's just that length. Perhaps I'm simply bias via expectations, and I liked the concept, but I feel that there was a lot of room here to explore that, could have perhaps been explored more. Either way, a sequel sure would do the trick! Expand
  95. Nov 16, 2013
    This game is unbelievable in the realm of video game design. Very cleverly thought out, with endings that will leave you either amazed or laughing, this short 1 and a half hour game is a must play if you don't require combat in order to have a great time.
  96. Dec 31, 2013
    Even though I bought this in the sale I have to admit it's not even worth the sale price. This should be about £1.99 at most. Buying this was my second biggest mistake of 2013 that stinking pile of crap 'Takedown: Red Sabre', being the first.

At best this 'game', if you can call it that, is patronising and boring. There is no original, high brow, intellectual message within and I am baffled as to how it scored so highly. Steam really needs to implement some form of refund system.
  97. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but inThis is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but in 2013, being a narrative-driven "interactive experience" just isn't very impressive, and the title doesn't really have anything else to offer. I think it very much has the same problem as Spec Ops: The Line: if you make a bad meta-game (or meta-non-game, I guess) to prove a good point, the player is still stuck playing (or not playing) a bad game (or non-game). It does, however, look pretty good and even maxed out runs at 200+ fps on my sh*tty old PC, so at least technically it's good. In the end, The Stanley Parable exists not to entertain you but to make you think, so if you want to save some money and time, you can watch a let's play and get straight to the thinking part without having to wander around a mostly non-interactive office for an hour or two. Expand
  98. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never Expand
  99. Oct 22, 2013
    First off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would haveFirst off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would have you believe. Overall it has its merits and if you enjoy games such as gone home or dear esther it could be worth a purchase but as of now asking $15 for this is simply insulting. Highly recommend either getting it in a steam sale or the inevitable indie bundle that will contain it Expand
  100. Dec 29, 2014
    I can see that this game is a clever piece of art however, it is not a game at all. It is more of a statement of someone who thinks they are more clever and witty than everyone else. I tried hard to like this but, instead I just felt really bad for anyone who actually paid money to play it for an hour.
  101. Nov 8, 2013

Parable: A simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]