8.0

1. Dec 15, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound messageOne of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound message backed by a brilliant and intriguing soundtrack. An altogether beautiful game. Expand
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    As awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looksAs awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looks fine, it is just an indie adventure game the graphics fit perfectly with all thats needed for your enjoyment from this game. The narrator is fantastic as well. Definitely play this game when you get the chance, if you're patient just buy on some steam sale like always. But if you're a major gamer like me it's worth a pickup of $15 bucks! Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    This is a game that isn't a game. It is an adventure that isn't an adventure. It is a oxymoron that isn't an oxymoron.

This is a game where there is no action, this is a narrative story. If you look for all the little secrets, it'll take you about 4 hours. If you rush through every ending and don't bother with any of the funny little hidden things, maybe about 2 hours. If you look at the achievements and then decide not to buy the game because the game can be sped run in less than 4 minutes and 22 seconds, just remember how Mario Bros. can be finished in less than 5 minutes.

If you like the narrator you will love it, if you hate the narrator you will hate it. End of story, personally I liked him and his humor so this is a 9/10 for me. If you don't like him you'll probably rate it anywhere from a 0-3.
  4. Dec 29, 2013
    I have never laughed so much playing a game as I did playing The Stanley Parable. I've played for over an hour and i have yet to see every ending and easter egg. While i don't think it is quite worth the full price, any sale price would make this game well worth the price.
  5. Nov 19, 2013
    Perfect. There is no other words to describe this game.

You can't talk about this game without giving it spoilers, so I'll just say: play it. Is a full experience, you can choose everything, but at the same time, the game will choose for you. Even if you think to have broke the game, is all part of the game. I'm in love with Kevan Brighting voice, the narrator. Is simply perfect.
    Perfect. There is no other words to describe this game.

I'm in love with Kevan Brighting voice, the narrator. Is simply perfect.

Really, but it, is just 10$ or something like that. Money really well spend.
  6. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is very interesting,i have played the half life 2 mod before that,and some endings are the same.
    I enjoyed how the world was changing or repeating when i walked trough a door,and how the voice told some "rude" things like "you don't listen" or "you are doing all this for the achievement?" and i really couldn't stop laughing when he said something to me.
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    Wonderful Satire.

Wonderful Satire.

A great alternative name for this game should be "A Parody of Choice". Not much can be said about the game without ruining some of the best surprises, but I can say that the game involves a Narrator and your refusal/willingness to follow his narration. The puzzles are silly and usually revolves around making fun of video game tropes. It will require a lot of listening because the humor all comes from the Narrator. I found myself giggling the entire time I played and would explore places just to hear the narrator complain about my deviation from his prescribed plan. I recommend this game heavily to anyone who is a fan of Stephen Fry or Douglas Adams or even Monty Python. You don't need to be a gamer to understand the tropes but it helps. If silly British satire is something you don't find funny, then this game is NOT for you. If you were a fan of all those 'choose your own adventure' books, if your favorite part about Portal was the humorous characters, if you like satire at all, then this game is for you.

My only /real/ piece of criticism is that this game feels more like an interactive movie than a game, like those Walking Dead TallTale games. They are incredibly entertaining... but there's not much 'challenge' to the game, you're just kinda going along for the ride and story. This game is like that too.

ALSO, Play the free demo, the demo is completely separate from the main game and is worth playing on its own even if you have no intention of buying the full game. I was convinced about 5 minutes into the 45 minute demo that I was going to purchase the game.
  8. Oct 28, 2013
    I think it's great. Amazing really, such creativity is what makes the world of gaming special. Of course, when you've been playing this game for af couple of hours, it isn't that fun anymore, but that's not the point of the game. The point of the game is to go beyond games, analyse and maybe question the game-Hollywood-model.
    Brilliant.
  9. Oct 28, 2013
    With it's 'Create Your Own Story' aspect, the witty and hilarious narration provided by Kevan Brightin, and it's all around sense of wonder, The Stanley Parable is shaping up to be one of the best games of the year.
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    Fun. Intelligent. Brilliant. Inonvative. Like Dear Esther this is one of those games which shows you video games can be much more than shooting bad guys and realistic graphics. If you want to try something new, enjoy a little intelligent comedy and great voice acting; this sure is your game.
  11. Oct 31, 2013
    A great game. Just trust me. I cannot spoil anything. The 2011 mod was amazing, so is this one. A little short however. Just amazing. You can but it on steam for $15.
  12. Nov 8, 2013
    I am delighted to see people saying t is isn't a real game because that shows their sheer lack of understanding of this game. It is a game, perhaps not the kind that "they" are used to. This is a situation much like Inception; the people who did not "get it" did not like it.
    So, The Stanley Parable, is above all else highly unique. It is also thought provoking, witty, charming, eerie, and funny all in but a few hours, well done.
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    I know this number seems very harsh, especially given the outstanding reviews that cover this game like sweet barbeque over a nice rack of ribs, but bear with me. The game is -amazing- in that it breaks the trend so hard and delves you into the world of choices and different outcomes of those choices that puts many games to shame. What's the point in your choices in games if not to affectI know this number seems very harsh, especially given the outstanding reviews that cover this game like sweet barbeque over a nice rack of ribs, but bear with me. The game is -amazing- in that it breaks the trend so hard and delves you into the world of choices and different outcomes of those choices that puts many games to shame. What's the point in your choices in games if not to affect the ultimate outcome, right?

It's an amazing chance to show off the fact that games should HAVE this. The ability to break from the mold and create something with the player's choice that isn't just the cookie cutter 'good or evil' 'did you finish enough achievements' endings. It should be about the decisions you've made, and if nothing else, the Stanley Parable shines so hard, it could bleed out the eyes of the blindest man.

But that's where the core of the gameplay fails, as well. See the game gives you choices, but no actual gameplay. You have options, yes that's nice, you have multiple endings, a shining example of what newer games with the extra space in them with the newer formats to put them in should have. But what effort did you put in? The most effort you put into the game is to do the 'door click' achievement or the 'white board' ending, which is less of a task and more of a time burner.

So I guess the end result is that it's a game of choices and endings, rather than of travel and triumph. I guess you could say that, while the game has done some amazing things, even getting the replay value that few games could ever compare to, it also falls short in that there's nothing lost in doing anything as you always start over and just try the whole world over again along another path that took you the same thirty seconds as before.

This game does some AMAZING things right, but the glaring issue of it being (ultimately) one giant ending rather than an actual game hurts. Sure it's nice to always have that cake at the end of a game, but what's the point if you get cake every time no matter what you do, only to go back to the beginning and try ANOTHER cake within five minutes? Sure it tastes amazing, but after you've had five other cakes back to back, you start to worry that you're scarfing down those tasty tasty pixels just a bit too fast.

The whole game can actually be fully explored in the space of an hour and a half, and fun as it is, it can be a bit tedious when you've heard the same line time. But then again, the Narrator has such a nice voice, even if it does eventually get old, and they do a good job of mixxing up the dialogue when it's obvious that the same lines over and over could burn a hole through your head.

For the mixxing up of the world, bringing a deep philosophical point, making a clear and straight forward game with many endings, the Stanley Parable would get an eight or nine... Except for one problem. There's no challenge or difficulty. You see, a story is a great -story- because of the philosophy, clear goals, and strong endings, but a good game challenges the player and gives them a reason to want to go back in, something to overcome, and most importantly... A reward for achieving something that you had to put effort into.

As a game, the Stanley Parable feels much like Mirror's Edge in that it's a stepping stone to something so much greater, but by itself feels like it's wanting or slightly off kilter. I admire and love the team that made this game and look forward to any work they ever create, and applaud them til my hands bleed for creating this, but it's still lacking in 'gameplay' despite the amazing job it does. For that it sits at an eight out of ten. A reluctant eight. The kind that I do simply because I enjoyed the game so much, even if it didn't feel like a game at the time.
  14. Nov 19, 2013
    I played this game straight for about 4 hours. It was an incredible experience that is definitely worth the money. My only gripe is that it is a little bit on the short side but its still an enjoyable adventure.
  15. Dec 17, 2013
    This is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with aThis is THE game of 2013, I'll probably be the only one to say that, but it's true. There is no other more unique, provocative, bizarre experience this year will bring us, not GTA 5, not The Last of Us, THIS, this is the game of this year. A satire of video games within a video game, a stinging commentary about the supposed choice we have, and bitingly funny, topping it all off with a superb voice acting performance and brilliant creativity, and what have you got? The Game of the Year. Expand
  16. Feb 5, 2014
    Listen. This is both for the people panning this game, and the people who don't know the point of it, or if you just want to know what this game is about. Firstly, this game is great in its own way. Although short, and with limited, but many endings that give this game I'd say about a 10 hour play-through (with countless more getting the achievements) this game is proving the point thatListen. This is both for the people panning this game, and the people who don't know the point of it, or if you just want to know what this game is about. Firstly, this game is great in its own way. Although short, and with limited, but many endings that give this game I'd say about a 10 hour play-through (with countless more getting the achievements) this game is proving the point that games are in itself linear. It doesn't matter what you do, it's the end result that almost always is the same. Choices are meaningless. This game attempts to reject that, and say "make your own decision" by saying "Don't make your own decision". In this game, choices matter and you get a drastically different result depending on the simplest of decisions such as going through the left door or the right door. Secondly, if I said anything about the actual game besides the fact you can make the rare interaction with objects and go left right forwards and backwards, it would be a spoiler.

To all of your panning this game, think of it more as a statement, not a game. Besides, what is a game? In my opinion, it's anything that can be interacted with. So this game meets that category. This game is a statement that video games tropes need to change. Choose a path. That path is different than the main one, and just as interesting. This is the true meaning of the Stanley Parable. Think on it.
  17. Apr 14, 2014
    i was expecting for more endings... but anyways, i had to try all 18 and it was soo much fun!! just try, keep on trying til you know you completed all of the endings. an original game which guarantee you some fun! 9/10 :)
  18. Oct 18, 2013
    Speechless. You can complete the game in like 1,5 hours but jeez... I've played for like 6 hours so far and it still amazes me.
    NOTE: If you are into hardcore FPS/MMO and just dont give a abut indie games, don't bother
  19. Oct 17, 2013
    This game is just absolutely brilliant. It combines the perfect amount of comedy, confusion, and detail to the just the right amount. They use confusion to keep the player guessing, comedy to keep the player the amused, and detail to show just how awesome this game is. There are literally a ton of hidden jokes that you cannot find with one playthrough. And of course they break the 4th wallThis game is just absolutely brilliant. It combines the perfect amount of comedy, confusion, and detail to the just the right amount. They use confusion to keep the player guessing, comedy to keep the player the amused, and detail to show just how awesome this game is. There are literally a ton of hidden jokes that you cannot find with one playthrough. And of course they break the 4th wall at just the right time. The only people I don't recommend this to are achievment hunters, and morons who don't understand a true game wheen they see one. Expand
  20. Oct 19, 2013
    The Stanley Parable (TSP) is a wonderful exploration of video games mechanics, narrative devices and agency. Without spoiling anything, it subtly addresses mainstream games for lazy design and uninspired game play while also touching issues such as the susceptibility of an individual to false authority, routine, bad habits, or even propaganda.

All that in an amazingly voice-acted

All that in an amazingly voice-acted package full of Easter eggs, good humor, and sarcasm, which also breaks the fourth wall on multiple occasions.

The mere fact that the original free HL mod got enough attention to warrant this excellent HD remix, is a confirmation that we can expect more quality from games to come. I'm sure that TSP will influence some gamers to demand less of mindless action and linearity in games they play and I'm also convinced that TSP will inspire some game developers to handle the gravity of choice and illusion of choice in their games more realistically, thus improving gaming experience for all.

For this and for a ton of new content delivered in professional quality, I believe the highest grade for TSP is well deserved.
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    From the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´tFrom the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´t know that this game is based on 2011 source mod, with same name. If demo was not enough try that and you will be sure that you want this game. For game at this price point the graphics is very good and does its job, game runs under almost 10 years old source engine, which shows its age. I´m able to give this game 10/10 for amazing branching story, epic amount of fun and superb narration. I want to see what will Galactic Cafe do next. Expand
  22. Oct 17, 2013
    Stanley Parable. Steam PC. Score 10. Demo is a gem. So are you. This review is 150 characters because I love you; and steam; and my cat; I shaved my c
  23. Oct 20, 2013
    People that are giving it low ratings are just hating on the game. This game is completely original in many ways. Which is hard to come by now these days.

This game has numerous choices and many outcomes. You will spend lots of time figuring out each ending and every choice you can make. I've spent 7 hours so far playing it and I'm still finding new choices. A 10/10 must buy for those that want to have fun and choose what you want to do while playing.
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    It's been so long since a game surprised me with it's originality and satisfied my curiosity. The game is about following the narrator's story, and how much you want to deviate. It's a constant narrative between the player and the narrator, and in the end the game plays you as much as you play it.
  25. Oct 30, 2013
    This is a game you will love completely or hate completely. I enjoyed the game a lot but I can see how others would not like the game, very story driven but not much action (but for a game like this it shouldn't have much)
  26. Nov 16, 2013
    This game is unbelievable in the realm of video game design. Very cleverly thought out, with endings that will leave you either amazed or laughing, this short 1 and a half hour game is a must play if you don't require combat in order to have a great time.
  27. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never Expand
  28. Oct 20, 2013
    The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore.The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore. Unfortunately the game is very short. It'll take you a couple of hours to try every "wrong" turn from the storyline. And one more hour to explore what you missed after reading forums. But that's the only flaw of this game. Expand
  29. Oct 17, 2013
    With its almost endless playability and great writing, I think I'll be playing this game for a LONG time. You can make millions of choices that completely affect the end of your game. The narrator has made me laugh so many times, and I haven't even gotten to the ACTUAL story yet.
  30. Oct 18, 2013
    Very entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-LifeVery entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-Life 2, but it is an enjoyable and intelligent work that is worth your attention. Expand
  31. Jan 7, 2014
    The first thing I wanted to do after playing through this thing was come on here and read the inevitable zero-rating reviews from people who need to be famous as memes. You guys are gold!
  32. May 29, 2014
    You guys think that you are really intelligent or happy? Oh, really? Okay then, play this game and after we gonna talk.
    This isn't a game at all. Because games allowed us to play the game. But now, things changed my friends. This is something new. This is a philosophy, this is a psychology, this is a funny joke, this is our job... Actually this is our life. This is one of the best thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life.
    So my advice; don't play this game if you don't love to talk with your friends meaninglessly about 2 hours.
  33. Oct 22, 2013
    A game like this is very hard to describe due to how original it is. It's also hard to describe without spoiling anything. So I'll try to be general but still descriptive enough. It's intelligent and classy yet paradoxical and zany. It's a game that will always leave you curious and always thinking while maintaining rather simple styles of gameplay. Very worthy the money.
  34. Nov 3, 2013
    The content within the experience is extremely enjoyable. However, the game was slightly too short for my liking. Getting the vast majority of the endings, it took me 5 hours.
  35. Oct 23, 2013
    After playing this for 20 hours I am still trying to find new endings and secrets. I am searching for discussions on the Steam forums that have solutions for getting new secrets and achievements. I will say it is worth every cent I paid for it and I hope you guys also will buy it because you will have good times playing it.
  36. Nov 11, 2013
    The game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hoursThe game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time. Totally worth the $15. Expand
  37. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this a video game? I'd say it's more of an adventure through the brain. This game got me mindblown, the narrator makes you understand how everyone is... Wake up, eat, work, eat, sleep and restart this routine everyday. Very deep story.
    Visually clean, nothing superfluous in the environment.
    The game is fun for the 2 first hours but when you have gone through every ways you can go, there's not much thing to do. Really cheap price for the experience it gave me. I would definitively recommend this game to everyone.
  38. Oct 22, 2013
    Confusing, revealing, profound, stupid, sad and hilarious.

Loved it.

Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  39. Oct 22, 2013
    This is not like any other game I have ever played. I highly recommend playing the demo first, then the game. The only downside is, it's a fairly short game.
  40. Nov 15, 2013
    Stanley Parable isn't a game for everyone. A lot of people missed the aim of the game...it is inadvertently funny, crazy and confusing...It is short...that the proposition of this game. If you expect something different...don't buy it. For those who likes mindless killing everything that moves, this is not the game...but if you're looking for an unique experience, this is the game for you.
  41. Apr 13, 2014
    A unique game that every intelligent gamer should play.
    Unique and intelligent humour in every turn, voice acting so good I doubt an another game even comes close to the emotional undertones of the narrator.
  42. Nov 4, 2013
    Calling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The DemoCalling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The Demo for the game is excellently designed as well. Getting the point across what the game is about, without spoiling it (it has its own story). If people are complaining about being disappointing at how its not a game then they haven't played the demo and should look up the "Raphael Parable" video that was made by the developers Expand
  43. Dec 27, 2013
    A refreshing indie game with an ironic view on first person adventure games. At least it isn't a linear storytelling like Dear Eshter or the controversial Gone Home. It was fun, has many endings you can explore. Still, it felt a little bit overpriced when it came out.
  44. Feb 22, 2014
    If you enjoy storytelling, get this game. If you enjoy puzzles, get this game. If you... whatever.. GET THIS GAME. So clever, inspired, witty and awesome. This game will leave a lasting impression on you.
  45. Oct 29, 2013
    The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable.The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable. Not even Stanley can. Expand
  46. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a unique experience! The Stanley Parable it's completely unpredictable and captively. The game makes you think about many things, things really strange for just a game, like "what really matter in your life", "what is freedom". Have a great narrator and there were no bugs while I was playing.
  47. Oct 22, 2013
    Another non-game like Gone Home or Dear Esther. I don't rate that negatively though, as The Stanley Parable is an enjoyable interactive story. It plays with your head and plays on your choices, the writing is fun and there's enough there to merit a few playthroughs.
  48. Jan 31, 2014
    Very few times do I come out of a sequel thinking differently of it than its predecessor. The original Stanley Parable was nothing more than a fun little excursion; a little 40 min. blurb to sink my teeth into of decent narration and storytelling. The Stanley Parable that you can get now on Steam is so much more. The game is still essentially the same game as before: choices>endings, butVery few times do I come out of a sequel thinking differently of it than its predecessor. The original Stanley Parable was nothing more than a fun little excursion; a little 40 min. blurb to sink my teeth into of decent narration and storytelling. The Stanley Parable that you can get now on Steam is so much more. The game is still essentially the same game as before: choices>endings, but with literally three times the content and some kick*ss narrative. The game is, for the most part, a serious game, with a well-raveled plot and some excellent themes. However, the game constantly makes fun of itself, delivering hilarious lines from the perfectly-cast Kevan Brighting. This is a game worth sinking lots of time into to find all of its secrets, yet there isn't a single collectible, no enemies, no real achievable goal. If you prefer to play games with more "playing" involved, this isn't your game. If you love a good narrative and some witty jokes, don't pass this one up! (a tip: take a right at the doors, a left to the maintenance section, and down the elevator to find my favorite ending :D) Expand
  49. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Create an interactive experience that challenges preconceived notions of free will and player choice in video games as well as in life.

Graphics: Simple, but not poor.

Sound: The narration is witty and amusing as often as it is spoken- which is the entire time. You should enjoy it at first, even if it does get old later on. The experience is too short for it to become horrendously annoying.

Playability: Basic at best. Point, move, click, interact, slide. Simple.

Entertainment: The majority of the entertaining qualities come from each ending once you discover them, and the branching choices of each path as well.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.0
  50. Nov 3, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a unique and satisfying experience you won't find in another game. The game is very, very appealing and I can hardly find something bad about it. TSP is a must-play! You must try it! Trust me!
  51. Jan 22, 2014
    There is very little reason why I should give this game a 10.

There is probably the least replayability of a game since Phoenix Wright, some mechanics are a little choppy and glitchy, there are a couple story loopholes that got me stuck in a room and forced a reboot, and many times I felt the game just made me frustrated. But after playing this game, I can't even be sure that
    There is very little reason why I should give this game a 10.

But after playing this game, I can't even be sure that Galactic Cafe didn't want me to be frustrated. Of course, I'm joking, but the narrative genius that this game displays makes me feel just that. It dares, and sometimes forces you to challenge the game, challenge the plot diagram of the story along with the uncouth, witty narrator and even sometimes question what you want from the game. While forcing emotions is detrimental to other games, the Stanley Parable encourages it. I constantly got an eerie sense that the game always knew what the next choice I would make was. When betraying the story leads you to a dark parking garage, the narrator's voice sounding as chilly as ever, your mind leads nowhere but "Oh f**k, I messed up." But then you turn around, the door you just came out of is now closed. Everything that would seem like a cheap trick in another game is played to a forte here, utilized just to shape the player into feeling an emotion.

And knowing this alienates you, since this game is all about choice anyway. None of your choices were of consequence anyway, and the game knew this all along. And that's what's great about the Stanley Parable- you can look as deeply or superficially into it as you want, and it still retains what makes it unique- a avant-garde, difficult look at storytelling.
  52. Nov 3, 2013
    This gamne is very gud. My favourite charcter is called Stanley. He is very good person. My Compuper ma bob dosn't alwasys run Stanley game. This makes me very sad......

But! I liek it!
  53. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What do you say about Stanley Parable......IT AWESOME! The narrator is funny, always wants you to hear his next words, and tells you were to go. If you don't he points his finger at and makes funny comments telling you that you're a waste to society well not that mean.) So if you want to laugh and if you want to hear his beautiful words then buy this game. Also there is no game play in this game. Expand
  54. Oct 24, 2013
    It's not an FPS, it's not an adventure, it's an experience, a brand new genre, probably like those in Dear Esther or somekind. I never played those kind of games BTW, but Stanley Parable got great reviews everywhere and it kinda intrigue me, so why not.

At first I thought it was something like Portal, but no. Probably the closest comparison to Stanley Parable are text game adventures back in the DOS, or way back to Apple era, where you choose different choices, but now they actually visualize it with Source Engine. One very memorable game I remember was Mickey's Space Adventure. Yep, probably that's the closest comparison.

It start of simple, just an ordinary, average 9-5 employee working in his room. Then you choose what to do. The story grows, and grows. It is said that there're tons of possibilities in this game, so far I only found few. And the game actually tickle your curiosity so you will guaranteed coming back for more.

It's definitely not for everyone, but the story truly made me think about "choices". Specially choices I made in my real life.

And also it's a warm welcome and breath of new fresh air among those popular, mainstream "me too" horror, FPS, war, etc games.
  55. Jun 26, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a very strange but very interesting game. It is very short - about 2-3 hours in terms of total content - but the game can be "beaten" within ten minutes. The important thing to recognize is that "beating" the game isn't the point - the game has north of a dozen endings, and rather than diverging only at the end, the entire GAME changes between them.

The thing to

The thing to recognize about this game is that it is a humor-based game which is also a meta-commentary on other video games, choice in video games (or the illusion thereof), and many other things. Ironically, it has more actual choice than almost any other video game has.

Explaining why the game is great pretty much is a huge spoiler for the game; if you watch the trailers for the game and think they're intriguing, then you're going to enjoy the game. If you don't think the trailers are interesting, then the game will annoy you. And because the trailers are legitimately entertaining in their own right, you aren't wasting your time by watching them.

A word of warning though - the game IS quite short. It has about 2-3 hours worth of content, which is right for what the game is, but you should be aware of that when you buy it. While it is a high quality piece of entertainment, I would say that most people will sit down and go through all the content in a single evening and then likely never touch the game again. So, be aware of that when you buy it, and consider its price accordingly. Still, it is a great game for what it is, though goodness knows what one really calls a game like this - there aren't really any other games which are quite like it.
  56. Oct 23, 2013
    Another game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling andAnother game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling and interactive. this is you best bet. GOTY, possibly (well as GTA V isn't on PC i couldn't say) but PC GOTY. hell yes. Expand
  57. Jan 14, 2014
    Don't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I wasDon't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I was thoroughly entertained. My only complaint was that there wasn't that much content, but if you treat it like a movie, then it was fairly priced and I got a good deal.

PS: Voice work was 10/10
  58. Oct 21, 2013
    This is not a game. It's a lousy experiment with a pricey tag. There are better (and, actually, you know) GAMES than this for the price. Wild Games Studio ask too much.
  59. Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I was scared the whole time I played this. I'm so accustomed to violent super serious games that every corner I feared that there was some jump scare or zombie awaiting me. But once I played it a million times over I knew I had nothing to worry about. The game is almost perfect.
  60. Oct 21, 2013
    While this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playingWhile this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playing portal 2, then you have a lot to look forward to here. Saying any more would be a spoiler, play the free demo if your are not convinced. Expand
  61. Jan 4, 2014
    Great game, I've never played something like this before, it's not a traditional "finish it and move on game". I compare it to Portal without the puzzles, just the story.
  62. Jan 18, 2014
    A fascinating and fresh game. At first it may seem it will be an awful experience, because there's no guns or explosions. But you'll quickly understand why this game deserves such high ratings.
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    Along with your walking there will be a funny, interesting and humorous narrator. You make the story with your decisions, you change the
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    You make the story with your decisions, you change the course of the game with the paths you take, and the narrator always has an opinion on everything you do.
    And the voice actor... OHH, the voice actor. A majestic voice that will make you shed a tear with every sentence.
    You have a lot of paths you can take, and the game has a lot of endings and secrets!
    I wasted around 2-3 hours playing and re-playing the game, trying to get all the endings. I still missed 1
    or 2 "secret endings, but nothing major.
    Anyways, this game is a great experience and it's different from anything out there right now.
    I don't give it a 10/10 because after completing the game it has 0 re-playability, and the game starts getting a little repetitive after your 100th try, but it quickly hides it with the new narrator lines.
    Go buy it, you will not regret it.
  63. Oct 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a game, this is simply piece of art. The whole time you are exploring different paths trying to figure out what is the meaning of the game trying to find an "answer" ...where are the employes, what is goin on?
    And the real answer is by my understanding that there is no answer ...and that the "employes" are other players before you who have played and realized that the game itself is "mind controlling" you into playing over and over again trying to find that goal and that really ...you are Stanley in real life siting behind your desk playing a game that really is not a game. :D
  64. Oct 20, 2013
    Really funny game I couldn't put it down. Just keep wanting to play it but that's about the only down side I have to it is that it's short. Have to say my fav part is the line one in how it just keeps going and going and going till you get the real" ending.
  65. Jan 23, 2014
    A game that is both fun and interesting and I can guarantee that it will make you think outside the box. The Narrator is what makes this game great and thanks to his priceless comments, you'll end up doing the weirdest things just to see his reaction to it :-)
    One of the greatest things about this game is that you can never quite finish it. There'll always be a few things you've missed here and there, and even though I've played it for quite a while now there's probably still 1 or 2 endings I haven't found yet.
    In any case this is a great game and I'll recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor :D
  66. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is amazing! Well worth the 12$ price tag. I've been playing for the past 2 hours and a half and there was always something new and interesting! Almost perfection
  67. Oct 31, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant. It's like Antichamber meets Bastion meets The Fight Club. Note that it's closer to an interactive storytelling than to a game per se, however the branching and numerous quirks are so complex that no other media besides games can offer the same experience.
  68. Nov 12, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is one of the greatest examples of how an indie game can be so good and so well done and creative with few tools.When looking at the game's core, the entire experience of playing can be defined by one word:creativity; whilst the game itself can be defined by another:choice.

The game's intense metalanguage can make you think for hours, and the way it is played can't be compared by any experience since it's such a unique game.It is quite short and can digress form it's own plot at times, even if at others this is it's main intention, going from the philosophic to the comic, yet it's an amazing work of art developer's wise, embracing the true power of games.
  69. Oct 23, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to live your life narrated by a wonderfully voiced British man? Than Stanley's Parable is perfect for you, whether your adventure takes your to a Broom closest or a blue or red door, this game is pretty awesome. All in all, I had a great time and laughed more than once throughout my, Stanley's, journey.
  70. Jan 28, 2014
    There has been three indies in 2013 that stole my heart. Gone Home, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. The three are my addiction, my gems, my precious golden rings.
    But somehow, The Stanley Parable is the one I most enjoyed. Maybe because I never know what to expect, because each playthrough is completely different. Maybe because I have never played the Half Life mod so I don't actually know how the original is, and still, find this incredibly good. It is darkly funny, confusing and dazzling. It may not have the best visuals and the gameplay is pretty simple. But the amount of freedom (Or not) in this game is outstanding.
    First of all, some of the best writing is here. Even the achievements are funny (Take a look at them). You are Stanley and a narrator is sort of telling you what to do. You can obey him or disobey him and this can take you through a lot of different endings and situations. I love decision-based games, and this the motherload as you must discover the decisions. And it is not knowing what will come next what makes the game so exciting.
    The visuals are good. They will not make your eyes overload with exuberant beauty, but they are not clunky. In fact, play it in a powerful PC, and you have a damn pretty game. It is a game you have to experience with as little knowledge as possible to enjoy its fully potential. The Stanley Parable is one of this year's best Indies. But remember, THISISNEVERTHEEND.
  71. Oct 23, 2013
    Really fun to play, the game relies on the interaction between the narrator and the player. It is somehow extremely satisfying to see that every action you could think of has been anticipated. The Stanley parable explores some interesting topics and is a very "meta" type of experience (video game hipsters please enjoy). On the somewhat less gleeful side, you do see everything after 5-6Really fun to play, the game relies on the interaction between the narrator and the player. It is somehow extremely satisfying to see that every action you could think of has been anticipated. The Stanley parable explores some interesting topics and is a very "meta" type of experience (video game hipsters please enjoy). On the somewhat less gleeful side, you do see everything after 5-6 hours, which is completely fine but still a bit short as it involves a certain amount of repetition. Expand
  72. Jan 11, 2014
    The game is unique and awesome. I dont want to spoil, but I reccomend anyone who plays not only dumb-style CS games, but some games actually makes you think at least a little. This reminds me of Portal games (Portal is better obv.) This game is very short and it is not actually a game after all, thats why I cant rate it maximum, but believe me, you gonna enjoy it!
  73. Oct 21, 2013
    Lots of Re-playability. Hilarious Narrator and Nice Graphics. This game will keep you coming back to try and find every ending possible. At such a low price this is definitely a game to pick up!
  74. Jan 16, 2014
    Engaging and interesting. The intelligence and interactivity with the narrator in regards to actions effecting the story telling is a lot of fun to be honest. Thorough enjoyable.
    I also love games that are a viable "I only feel like playing for 20-30 minutes before I have to do something" game, as it can be as short or as long as you want. Good game.
  75. Oct 21, 2013
    It one of the most epic game ive ever played just wow it made me so hard laughing than no other game.
    its humor is damm brilliant and there is just nothing like that out there!!!
    the worst part is that it is so short but i had NEVER fun like that before by just playing a video-game!
  76. Oct 21, 2013
    It's basically a chose your own adventure book meets video game, but breaks the fourth wall more than necessary, and blows your mind. Every turn brings a new adventure, completely different than the last. Worth every penny.
  77. Jan 3, 2014
    Incredibly diverse... that is one particularly fitting way to describe this game.
    Never before have I had the pleasure of putting so much time into a pointless game.
    Most likely because it is not a game... it's an experience.
    One that I recommend to everyone... and don't be shy to pick up a walk trough at the end to see what you have been missing!
  78. Oct 21, 2013
    I'm only writing this to hopefully convince someone to ignore the 0 score trolls writing reviews when they obviously missed the point of the game.

NOTE: This game is best played knowing nothing. Question nothing about the extraordinary premise, or wonderful voice acting, or amazing plot(s). Just go buy the thing. Go on, I'll be waiting here when you get back if you insist on some (light) spoilers to convince you that you've made the right choice.

Are you now the proud owner of the Stanley Parable? Good. Read on.

Born from the humor and wit of Portal and its sequel, The Stanley Parable sets out to tell a story (quite a few of them, in fact) and challenge everything you think you know about games as a medium. While it is most definitely not gameplay intensive, it contains some of the hardest puzzles I've seen in a while (but I'm sure Rcj8993 or Dcruize didn't take the time to find the final boss battle with the narrator, or back out of the boss's office as the doors close, locking you out and sending you to an entirely different ending). Answer the phone to pick up your order of 100 cardboard boxes. Escape the office via the first window on your left. Reach ascension by pressing all of the "Awaiting Input" computers. These are just a few of the many endings this game has to offer, but that said there's probably many more that nobody has found yet. The dynamic between Stanley (mute but expressive) and the Narrator (awe-some in the truest sense of the word).
  79. Oct 22, 2013
    Awesome Too Awesome If you're interested in a Mind game Then The Stanley Parable is the choice for you some parts is confusing but fun some funny moments like one of the endings but it's just Awesome. Can't say anymore.
  80. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is brilliant. You don't play the game, they game plays you. The game is also full of jokes, easter eggs and much more. A game hasn't intentionally made me laugh in years! So this is an amazing game.

P.S.
    The end is never the end...
  81. Oct 21, 2013
    In an attempt to not spoil the game, I will refrain from saying any actual in-game points. The game play of the game is actually very good! You are told the story of a man named Stanley, and you are told what Stanley does; the thing is, you play as Stanley, and you can choose to follow what the narrator says. The narrator reacts to what happens, usually with some comedic value.
    Even
    Even though it doesn't take long to play through the entire game (as it appears on the surface), there are many smaller things (like the achievements for example) that add to the replay value. not only are there many different endings readily available to you, you can go back through and see what jokes you missed before. The game isn't perfect, however, and it does run out of content quickly, though the content in the game is well polished and flows perfectly.
  82. Oct 21, 2013
    An elegant yet subversive exploration of player agency in gaming. The Stanley Parable effortlessly peers into the relationship of free will in a simulated interactive experience, in a knowing self referential manner AAA titles like Metal Gear Solid 2 or BioShock could only dream of.

Not only has the original game mod been a landmark for the use of in-game narration inspiring the likes of Bastion and Thomas Was Alone, but has also opened up a brave new chapter for self reflection in gaming's young medium doing exactly what Don Quixote did for literature. Bravo.
  83. Oct 21, 2013
    I had to admit. It was amazing, shocking, brilliant.
    Actually, writing this review is kind of joke in this game. But, I think someone who read this review, metacritic should play this game.
    Totally worth it.

ps. The less you know, The more you can find fun in this game.
  84. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is phenomenal and well written but short: which is expected and is of sufficient value for its discount pricing. It definitely left me wanting more. I hope the success of this game leads to a sequel or an expansion pack.
  85. Oct 21, 2013
    Fantastic game, very original. Go into it with an open mind. The only drawback is the cost ($12 on steam currently). I've played about 3 hours and am considering myself "done" with the game; there's also not much replay value once you've "finished" it, aside from showing your friends.
  86. Oct 22, 2013
    This is an absolutely amazing game. The attention to detail is truly astonishing.

Everything you try to do has a consequence, even if you think it couldn't possibly be true. Try to exploit this game, it gives you even more answers. I highly recommend this game, especially if you are familiar with the Source engine (eg. know what the console is) or if you are a programmer. There's

I highly recommend this game, especially if you are familiar with the Source engine (eg. know what the console is) or if you are a programmer. There's much more fun to be had besides the usual gameplay.
  87. Oct 22, 2013
    A game "An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime". Ok, we have cleared up the fact that this is, indeed, a game. The very point of this is to challenge what you perceive a game to be, and it does so in spectacular fashion. It's witty, intelligent and purposeful. The more you play, more is revealed, and your environment is constantly changing in subtle ways. This game isA game "An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime". Ok, we have cleared up the fact that this is, indeed, a game. The very point of this is to challenge what you perceive a game to be, and it does so in spectacular fashion. It's witty, intelligent and purposeful. The more you play, more is revealed, and your environment is constantly changing in subtle ways. This game is a beautiful creation, and as a game developer, I would be truly proud of. Those of you who are rating this poorly, I'm afraid just don't understand or appreciate it, which is a shame. If you find the lack of shooting things in the face and getting high scores a disappointment, then you just clearly can't comprehend the message here, which carries a form of entertainment beyond what other games can offer. Expand
  88. Oct 22, 2013
    IMPORTANT NOTE
    this is much less a game, and more of philosophical material.
    IMPORTANT NOTE
    this is much less a game, and more of philosophical material.

less important, I don't know what people mean when they say no emotions are conveyed in this game. I felt: Sadness, adventuress, fear, rebelliousness, happiness, concern, self-pity, horror, forgetful, neglectful, accomplished, pondered, misunderstood, helpless, mocked, anger, confused, anxious, and humored. It may not have your traditional emotional response, but emotions are still conveyed.
  89. Dec 27, 2013
    Simple, Complex, Short, Long, this game is a mystery, almost open world one, you play, you decide or you don't? I don't know neither, that is why you should play it, Its almost the same as the Half-life 2 mod.
  90. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a masterpiece.
    It is not about gameplay there are no interesting gameplay features.
    It is not about the graphics there is no hard work on it.

The Stanley Parable is a story, story of choice and its meaning. Perfect voice actor work helps you to come deep into this game, feel all the emotions this game provides. Perfect.

For me it is the game of the year..
  91. Jun 18, 2014
    Aw man. Don't read about it, don't do anything more. The less you know, the better! I'll just say this: keep an open mind, and enjoy what might be on of the most important games in terms of storytelling!
  92. Jan 18, 2014
    It´s such a great "Game" for the price. I even kept the Demo because I love how the "Game" plays me ;)
    It´s a little short but you can play it over and over and over and over.....
  93. Jan 28, 2014
    Я никогда раньше не видел столь великолепной игры. Тонкий юмор и великолепный голос рассказчика, насмешка над концепцией видеоигр, багами в них. Everyone must play this great game.
  94. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. is the game worth it's $15 price tag?
    i can't make that judgement, buy it and see if the game provides a $15 experience.
    or wait until the steam summer sales come along and see if you cant get it at a discount price.
  95. Apr 29, 2017
    It is a great game with infinite possibilities for its ending, but I gave it 3 days max, than I get bored. It is worth to try, though, sometimes you don't even know why you are compelled to keep going...
  96. Dec 3, 2013
    All I can say about this game is that you should buy it. If I say anymore, I'll risk spoiling the plot and it wont be anywhere near as enjoyable as I found it. It's not a game that you will be playing over and over again, but it is a game that you will be playing over and over again.
  97. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Even if the total play time is quite short (about 2 / 3 hours to reach the supposed end) the game succeeds in proposing an original and unsettling experience. Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of game itself. And it's here where it really shines.

One critical aspect of all adventure games is plot and dialogue. Here the plot is as mysterious as you could imagine, and the narrator perplexity in what you do funny as well. After a while, you just enjoy the simple act of doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do, exercing free will, enjoying a strange feeling of agency even if it leads to the brutal death of the brave Stanley.

The game even reach the point of developing beyond the Stranger than Fiction plot (if you happen to know the movie) for a moment of sheer delight.

Really, The Stanley Parable does something powerful in the game world : instead of being a little of everything that works in different genres (like Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing), it does not try to be strong where it's weak and focuses all its strengh on what it's great at!

And the developers should be praised for that :)
  98. Nov 11, 2015
    A pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator'sA pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator's nerves.

There isn't all that much content in the game, and I kind of wish it had more, but what is there is certainly worth experiencing. The game is both funny and thought-provoking. "Now, Stanley, let's go and find the story." :D
  99. Mar 2, 2014
    Quite an experience. This is a must play for everyone. Hilarious duologue, and a huge branching narrative will have you coming back again and again looking for every detail in the "story". Just when you think you have found everything, the game throws you a curve ball and you go for another wild journey with the narrator.
  100. Dec 29, 2013
    By far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing aroundBy far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing around trying out the different ways to get through the game.

The narrator offers funny, interesting and hilarious commentary, and the game is completely based around it. If you don't like listening to a lot of funny narration then this game is not for you, and you need better tastes.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]