The Stanley Parable PC

8.0

1. Dec 31, 2013
    Even though I bought this in the sale I have to admit it's not even worth the sale price. This should be about £1.99 at most. Buying this was my second biggest mistake of 2013 that stinking pile of crap 'Takedown: Red Sabre', being the first.

At best this 'game', if you can call it that, is patronising and boring. There is no original, high brow, intellectual message within and I am baffled as to how it scored so highly. Steam really needs to implement some form of refund system.
  2. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but inThis is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but in 2013, being a narrative-driven "interactive experience" just isn't very impressive, and the title doesn't really have anything else to offer. I think it very much has the same problem as Spec Ops: The Line: if you make a bad meta-game (or meta-non-game, I guess) to prove a good point, the player is still stuck playing (or not playing) a bad game (or non-game). It does, however, look pretty good and even maxed out runs at 200+ fps on my sh*tty old PC, so at least technically it's good. In the end, The Stanley Parable exists not to entertain you but to make you think, so if you want to save some money and time, you can watch a let's play and get straight to the thinking part without having to wander around a mostly non-interactive office for an hour or two. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never Expand
  4. Oct 22, 2013
    First off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would haveFirst off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would have you believe. Overall it has its merits and if you enjoy games such as gone home or dear esther it could be worth a purchase but as of now asking $15 for this is simply insulting. Highly recommend either getting it in a steam sale or the inevitable indie bundle that will contain it Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2014
    I can see that this game is a clever piece of art however, it is not a game at all. It is more of a statement of someone who thinks they are more clever and witty than everyone else. I tried hard to like this but, instead I just felt really bad for anyone who actually paid money to play it for an hour.
  6. Oct 22, 2013
    An absolutely piece of game. It claims to be a parable, and while it is insultingly stupid there's no profound lesson here for you to learn. Other than a series of arbitrary choices. Ultimately you'll only enjoy this if you want to play a comedy game with dull oh-so-witty humour from the British narrator. Don't play this. Also it pisses me off that this doesn't get the same "Is it reallyAn absolutely piece of game. It claims to be a parable, and while it is insultingly stupid there's no profound lesson here for you to learn. Other than a series of arbitrary choices. Ultimately you'll only enjoy this if you want to play a comedy game with dull oh-so-witty humour from the British narrator. Don't play this. Also it pisses me off that this doesn't get the same "Is it really a GAME?" criticism that Gone Home did when this is much worse and insultingly shallow. Expand
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave this game a zero to help bring the score down (really deserves a 7 imho) Listen carefully fellow gamers when all these other reviewers tell you its 2-3 hours long at best. What breaks the game for me is there is nothing in the game to actually figure out. Each ending is discovered by exploration only, never by interacting with the world and solving any kind of puzzle or dilemma. REALLY was enjoying the game until the point I was "stuck" couldn't figure out what to do next to advance the story. Went online for a hint only to discover Id already discovered about 90% of the game and there wasn't anything more to the game. Bottom line is I too fell ripped off for listening to all the high reviews that just said AWESOME trust me buy it! Its a $2-3 experience. I bought Bioshock Infinite on Steam recently for $13..bought this for $15. Lesson learned about wise allocation of limiting gaming funds. Expand
  8. Oct 20, 2013
    The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore.The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore. Unfortunately the game is very short. It'll take you a couple of hours to try every "wrong" turn from the storyline. And one more hour to explore what you missed after reading forums. But that's the only flaw of this game. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2013
    Why is this game on Steam? It is literally a Half-Life mod that isn't funny. Why pay money for it? It's not even a good mod. All it is is lame jokes, 100 endings that all run together and walking forward. There's no game here.
  10. Oct 17, 2013
    With its almost endless playability and great writing, I think I'll be playing this game for a LONG time. You can make millions of choices that completely affect the end of your game. The narrator has made me laugh so many times, and I haven't even gotten to the ACTUAL story yet.
  11. Oct 18, 2013
    Very entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-LifeVery entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-Life 2, but it is an enjoyable and intelligent work that is worth your attention. Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2013
    Well I'm sorry but this isn't a game. You basically run around trying to find the story of the game with a narrator helping you do so. The point of it is to show you the limitations of gaming, maybe even of your life but in all honesty, ppl who think about "life" or "games" know that already and don't need this software.

So, if you want a real game a piece of entertainment then avoid

So, if you want a real game a piece of entertainment then avoid this title but if you want to experience what game design is all about then feel free to buy this and run around in circles for an hour.
  13. Dec 15, 2013
    Do not buy it.

The demo (that is free) is awesome.

The game itself is not a game, is extremely mean and pointless. I feel sorry for the money I spent on it.

Do not make the same mistake.
  14. Mar 4, 2014
    considering how good the reviews are for this game, i got easily bored and felt cheated even though i got it on a steam sale. yes it was fun hearing the 'witty' things the narrator said. at first. then i did all the endings and figured out that it is boring and generic and mundane.
  15. Apr 16, 2014
    First of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively becauseFirst of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively because I know that ignorant hipsters love to highlight the marvelous qualities that this vacuum does not contain. But, as it does not contain anything (quite the same as the modern art painting) you can put there whatever a tortuous mind of a pseudo-intellectual wants to. Expand
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't get what is so special about this game
    multiple endings,game restarts,tried n deleted
    got a few endings and unendings

save time and watch all possible endings on YouTube or sth
  17. Oct 30, 2013
    you have to be joking this is a pile of crap don,t wast your money

and why the hell have people been scoring hi :O the content lasts for 10 min
    yes it dose change a bit when you do different things but bottom line rubbish
    i can,t think of anything good to say at all so i will say no more
  18. Dec 21, 2013
    [spoiler] The Stanley Parable is a ticking time bomb to boredom. The game relies on the players curiosity to be any fun, and as the mystery quickly erodes, it is only a short matter of time before that is gone.

Once the novelty of the concept wares off, you are literally just playing the same brief moments over and over, in hopes you might find something new. Unfortunately, it is easy to stop caring about what you might have missed.

It is certainly an interesting gaming experience, and I can't say I didn't enjoy my initial time toying with The Stanley Parable. That doesn't stop it from being overrated, though.
  19. Jan 7, 2014
    The first thing I wanted to do after playing through this thing was come on here and read the inevitable zero-rating reviews from people who need to be famous as memes. You guys are gold!
  20. May 29, 2014
    You guys think that you are really intelligent or happy? Oh, really? Okay then, play this game and after we gonna talk.
    This isn't a game at all. Because games allowed us to play the game. But now, things changed my friends. This is something new. This is a philosophy, this is a psychology, this is a funny joke, this is our job... Actually this is our life. This is one of the best thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life.
    So my advice; don't play this game if you don't love to talk with your friends meaninglessly about 2 hours.
  21. Oct 22, 2013
    A game like this is very hard to describe due to how original it is. It's also hard to describe without spoiling anything. So I'll try to be general but still descriptive enough. It's intelligent and classy yet paradoxical and zany. It's a game that will always leave you curious and always thinking while maintaining rather simple styles of gameplay. Very worthy the money.
  22. Nov 3, 2013
    The content within the experience is extremely enjoyable. However, the game was slightly too short for my liking. Getting the vast majority of the endings, it took me 5 hours.
  23. Oct 23, 2013
    After playing this for 20 hours I am still trying to find new endings and secrets. I am searching for discussions on the Steam forums that have solutions for getting new secrets and achievements. I will say it is worth every cent I paid for it and I hope you guys also will buy it because you will have good times playing it.
  24. Mar 10, 2014
    For all the hype surrounding this game I was severely underwhelmed at the lack of seriously witty dialogue and deep meaningful gameplay. It was almost as if you asked someone who wasn't that clever to try and be clever. It just didn't work for me. Maybe you will like it though.
  25. Nov 11, 2013
    The game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hoursThe game is hard to explain really, other than the fact that it contains choices. That's all I can say. With an intelligent narrator that comes with hundreds upon hundred of phrases, I don't think I've played a more sophisticated game in my life. Hours and hours, with countless endings, you can just keep on playing. I do admit it can get boring, so I wouldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time. Totally worth the $15. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this a video game? I'd say it's more of an adventure through the brain. This game got me mindblown, the narrator makes you understand how everyone is... Wake up, eat, work, eat, sleep and restart this routine everyday. Very deep story.
    Visually clean, nothing superfluous in the environment.
    The game is fun for the 2 first hours but when you have gone through every ways you can go, there's not much thing to do. Really cheap price for the experience it gave me. I would definitively recommend this game to everyone.
  27. Oct 22, 2013
    Confusing, revealing, profound, stupid, sad and hilarious.

Loved it.

Your review must be at least 150 characters long. Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  28. Oct 22, 2013
    This is not like any other game I have ever played. I highly recommend playing the demo first, then the game. The only downside is, it's a fairly short game.
  29. Nov 15, 2013
    Stanley Parable isn't a game for everyone. A lot of people missed the aim of the game...it is inadvertently funny, crazy and confusing...It is short...that the proposition of this game. If you expect something different...don't buy it. For those who likes mindless killing everything that moves, this is not the game...but if you're looking for an unique experience, this is the game for you.
  30. Feb 15, 2014
    why does everybody like this pice of **** its terrible. it cant even be considered a game. i take what jontron said at magfest on his pannel. if i talk to you in a slightly british accent and said stanley went to do something stupid that is the whole **** game.
  31. Apr 13, 2014
    A unique game that every intelligent gamer should play.
    Unique and intelligent humour in every turn, voice acting so good I doubt an another game even comes close to the emotional undertones of the narrator.
  32. Oct 20, 2013
    In not trolling and ive never given 1 out of 10 to any game in my life. Im serious at how much a waste of money this game is. Game incorrect- interactive narrative. Therefore it shouldn't even be in this section. The gameplay is 3 thing walk, click maybe 5 buttons, listen to the narrator and endings. No matter which way you go that's all you get. Gameplay 1 out of 10. Sound 2-3 tracks ofIn not trolling and ive never given 1 out of 10 to any game in my life. Im serious at how much a waste of money this game is. Game incorrect- interactive narrative. Therefore it shouldn't even be in this section. The gameplay is 3 thing walk, click maybe 5 buttons, listen to the narrator and endings. No matter which way you go that's all you get. Gameplay 1 out of 10. Sound 2-3 tracks of music and then rest is the narrators rants reused sound effects 2 out of 10. Graphics are terrible texture are blank and bad 1 out of 10.
    Story their is no story, its just like listening to a man ranting about life and everything about gameplay. Honestly its boring beyond its meaning 1 out of 10. This comes to an average of 1/10 If you include the time played and complete an average ending is 15mins. Replay ability you wish it wasn't. Buy heavy rain thats how you make a interactive narrative into a game. Demo was better than the game.
  33. Oct 21, 2013
    Not a perfect game. This site deserves to at least be broken or realize that it is broken. Rant rant rant rant ran....................................
  34. Oct 21, 2013
    The Stanley Parable was somewhat amusing, but barely meets the requirements to actually even be called a game. Would have been better not to spend money on it, and watch someone play it on youtube, since all you do in the game is watch, anyway. Or better yet, not do that.
  35. Dec 28, 2013
    This is not a game, and shouldn't be rated as one. This is a graphic novel with poor graphics and an OK story. Nothing to go all excited about at all in my opinion. I'm not joining the bandwagon because I'm not a sheep. I'm not warning others away from this product though, you might quite possibly like it. But it's very short.
  36. Jan 5, 2014
    How this pile of rubbish rates an 8 is beyond me. Apparently the game is about freedom and choice. I found myself frequently wandering an utterly linear path, unable it interact with anything in particular listening to the (well spoken) narrator droning on about how I was wandering down a path. The truth is, there are very few choices to make in this "software" (I refuse to call it aHow this pile of rubbish rates an 8 is beyond me. Apparently the game is about freedom and choice. I found myself frequently wandering an utterly linear path, unable it interact with anything in particular listening to the (well spoken) narrator droning on about how I was wandering down a path. The truth is, there are very few choices to make in this "software" (I refuse to call it a game). Lacklustre graphics (even for the source engine) reduce this to a full on 0 for me. A total waste of money and time.. Expand
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is considerably less intelligent than it thinks. Although it's difficult to communicate the philosophical ideas it conveys without spoiling the entire game (which, for the record, is rather short indeed), they are not new, and they are not 'mind-blowing' as many seem to be screaming excitedly. The ideas it explores have been explored as far back as 400BC. So please,The Stanley Parable is considerably less intelligent than it thinks. Although it's difficult to communicate the philosophical ideas it conveys without spoiling the entire game (which, for the record, is rather short indeed), they are not new, and they are not 'mind-blowing' as many seem to be screaming excitedly. The ideas it explores have been explored as far back as 400BC. So please, take note, if you see somebody exclaiming 'OMG SO CLEVER SO NEW' It isn't. Not at all.

So, given that this all sounds terribly negative, why did I give it a seven? Although its content isn't particularly revolutionary, it is extremely well executed. All narration is superb, and for the most part, the environmental design is appropriately bland and well-crafted. It's also fairly unpredictable, with some genuinely impressive moments of timing and narrative shifts.

However, frankly, the fact that this game is being sold at £7.99 is absolutely absurd. You can see all the game has to show you in about an hour, if not, about seventy minutes. It's a nice little experience, but to charge any more than £3 is fairly criminal.
  38. Jul 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I understood the meaning of the game and almost the 80% of the secrets and clues on the museum. I am a gamer, and I like to play videogames, not a paranoid reasoning about videogames or the development of them. This game it’s simply boring, not intractable (you can transmit the same idea, letting the player interact more with the context), or even making a book to transmit your thinking. It’s made for people that needs to get unique experience to get realized. And what means the museum? It’s like: “Oh, see!! What a huge d*** I got!! I have made this for this reason, u see?” It’s really not a good game… Expand
  39. Nov 4, 2013
    Calling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The DemoCalling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The Demo for the game is excellently designed as well. Getting the point across what the game is about, without spoiling it (it has its own story). If people are complaining about being disappointing at how its not a game then they haven't played the demo and should look up the "Raphael Parable" video that was made by the developers Expand
  40. Oct 20, 2013
    This is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you areThis is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you are obsessive enough to find all of the possibilities, clearly the message has missed you! Expand
  41. Dec 27, 2013
    A refreshing indie game with an ironic view on first person adventure games. At least it isn't a linear storytelling like Dear Eshter or the controversial Gone Home. It was fun, has many endings you can explore. Still, it felt a little bit overpriced when it came out.
  42. Feb 22, 2014
    If you enjoy storytelling, get this game. If you enjoy puzzles, get this game. If you... whatever.. GET THIS GAME. So clever, inspired, witty and awesome. This game will leave a lasting impression on you.
  43. Oct 29, 2013
    The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable.The Stanley parable is a wonderful game. far from perfect, but wonderful. It has witty and humorous narration, it's fantastically confusing, and it's weird and unique. It naturally has it's issues, it's far too linear, each area of gameplay is too short, and sometimes gets repetitive. This is, however, a game everyone should try. Just remember though, you can't finish the Stanley parable. Not even Stanley can. Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a unique experience! The Stanley Parable it's completely unpredictable and captively. The game makes you think about many things, things really strange for just a game, like "what really matter in your life", "what is freedom". Have a great narrator and there were no bugs while I was playing.
  45. Oct 22, 2013
    Another non-game like Gone Home or Dear Esther. I don't rate that negatively though, as The Stanley Parable is an enjoyable interactive story. It plays with your head and plays on your choices, the writing is fun and there's enough there to merit a few playthroughs.
  46. Jan 31, 2014
    Very few times do I come out of a sequel thinking differently of it than its predecessor. The original Stanley Parable was nothing more than a fun little excursion; a little 40 min. blurb to sink my teeth into of decent narration and storytelling. The Stanley Parable that you can get now on Steam is so much more. The game is still essentially the same game as before: choices>endings, butVery few times do I come out of a sequel thinking differently of it than its predecessor. The original Stanley Parable was nothing more than a fun little excursion; a little 40 min. blurb to sink my teeth into of decent narration and storytelling. The Stanley Parable that you can get now on Steam is so much more. The game is still essentially the same game as before: choices>endings, but with literally three times the content and some kick*ss narrative. The game is, for the most part, a serious game, with a well-raveled plot and some excellent themes. However, the game constantly makes fun of itself, delivering hilarious lines from the perfectly-cast Kevan Brighting. This is a game worth sinking lots of time into to find all of its secrets, yet there isn't a single collectible, no enemies, no real achievable goal. If you prefer to play games with more "playing" involved, this isn't your game. If you love a good narrative and some witty jokes, don't pass this one up! (a tip: take a right at the doors, a left to the maintenance section, and down the elevator to find my favorite ending :D) Expand
  47. Dec 23, 2013
    One of the most irritating circlejerks I've ever experienced. Its a funny game with creative narration, but isn't entertaining after the first 45 minutes. If its not on sale don't buy it.
  48. Mar 20, 2014
    Played it for an hour or so got bored and quit. Very boring game with an annoying narrator. I have no idea what is supposed to be so interesting about this game. Complete waste of my time.
  49. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to create an account on Metacritic just to review this game. After all the high scores, it sounded promising even though I couldn't really tell what the game was about. Well, don't waste your time. The entire game is wandering around like one of those old "create your own story" books where you kept flipping to different pages depending on your choices. The reload wait times and the slow, boring narrator made this game the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a "game." Expand
  50. May 20, 2014
    Clearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven'tClearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven't bought a Computer game in a couple of years and after this I doubt if I will again for a long time. Don't get sucked in by the demo either. You feel like the demo is leading you somewhere! Challenging you to solve some subtle and challenging puzzle but there is nothing; And you feel drawn in, you need to get the full game to go on to solve the mystery but the game ends in nothing too! That's what this game is nothing. Dull and boring beyond belief. Zero out of 10 Don't buy it! Expand
  51. Nov 21, 2013
    this game wants to eventually give you the idea that you choice is important it is actually all about making choices but unfortunately with no gameplay at all you'll be interested to replay it and see the other choices but in the end i didn't enjoy as much as i expected it to do
  52. Oct 24, 2013
    My 14 y/o son downloaded this game for me and asked me to play it because he loved it. I played the demo for about 30 minutes and I couldn't stand it. Sorry...not my style for a game. I must be an old fart.
  53. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is too damn short. If it weren't just 10 minutes of gameplay I would have given this a good review, but no. This game has some definite good moments but they don't raise the bar.
  54. Dec 1, 2013
    As stated by my fellow reviewers, this is more of a walking simulator than a game. I purchased this expecting a videogame that would show a new face of the industry, a true experiencie that could match its appealing and daring title. But none of it had a solid reason The Stanley Parable's joke doesn't lie in its narrator's annoying voice, but in the fact itself of the customers spendingAs stated by my fellow reviewers, this is more of a walking simulator than a game. I purchased this expecting a videogame that would show a new face of the industry, a true experiencie that could match its appealing and daring title. But none of it had a solid reason The Stanley Parable's joke doesn't lie in its narrator's annoying voice, but in the fact itself of the customers spending up to 15 in an experience that can last some ridiculous 4 minutes.

There is no plot whatsoever. There is no gameplay. There is no replayability. The developers thought they had discovered the ultimate, true meaning of life and tried to make the statement in the shape of a videogame they could, why noy, charge an abusive price for.

Truth be told, if you are slightly intelligent and have spent some hours along your life wondering about existence, its meaning and the approach our society has taken to it, this "game" turns bold and useless. Doing some research on YouTube's walkthroughs will try to teach you the same obvious facts while being free of charge; thus I encourage you to disregard this piece of software.

Play the mod if you can't help it, but don't support this degree of laziness which I fear could easily extend to future games. And maybe that way we will prevent developers from taking themselves as the new men of Renaissance, something they are clearly not.

Uninstalled.
  55. Mar 23, 2014
    Original crap is still the crap. No game world, no game-play, no story, nothing... The whole application is not a game but a lie, and it does even try to hide it.
    Unfortunately (for our civilization) most people are willing to be deceived...
  56. Nov 25, 2013
    Very interesting game that allows players to play for hours on end to only reach the inevitable ending that is respawning and doing the same thing over and over again. Even though this game is only a 4-8 hour play through it is still a very fun game to play. This game is just to short to give it a high rating, with the factor that the games plot is always the same so you lose interest very fast.
  57. Oct 22, 2013
    Less of a game, more of an interactive novel, you don't really play the game, you simply experience it. One of the most limiting games ever, it makes an attempt to appear deep, often over analyzed by the gaming community, this game is not that deep, it does not break any new walls, it simply is very restrictive and meta.

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get achievements in the game. If you are actually looking for a game to "play", The Stanley Parable is not it.
  58. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Create an interactive experience that challenges preconceived notions of free will and player choice in video games as well as in life.

Graphics: Simple, but not poor.

Sound: The narration is witty and amusing as often as it is spoken- which is the entire time. You should enjoy it at first, even if it does get old later on. The experience is too short for it to become horrendously annoying.

Playability: Basic at best. Point, move, click, interact, slide. Simple.

Entertainment: The majority of the entertaining qualities come from each ending once you discover them, and the branching choices of each path as well.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.0
  59. Nov 3, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is a unique and satisfying experience you won't find in another game. The game is very, very appealing and I can hardly find something bad about it. TSP is a must-play! You must try it! Trust me!
  60. Oct 22, 2013
    i was disappointed when playing the new Stanley parable as i believe that they have really just taken money off of the people who by the game when it isn't really any different to the original version which was free. and this was disappointing due to the cost of it. The free version was fun and entertaining to play, however playing the new remake was poorly interactive and i didn't feeli was disappointed when playing the new Stanley parable as i believe that they have really just taken money off of the people who by the game when it isn't really any different to the original version which was free. and this was disappointing due to the cost of it. The free version was fun and entertaining to play, however playing the new remake was poorly interactive and i didn't feel involved or interested in the story because i had played it before for free. if you want to try this game don't buy it play the free version don't waste your time or money. Expand
  61. Oct 23, 2013
    this game is just like the mod. do not waste your money on this game. do you think you should buy a game that you can beat in 4 minute 22 second? I don't think so.
  62. Jan 14, 2015
    This is my first review on metacritic and will probably be my one and only one, but I really felt I had to share this. I have a deep hunch that this game is all about how FAKE RATINGS can make a person like myself buy a totally crap game. I cannot believe how ridiculous this "game" is: totally linear, no empathic connection whatsoever to the character or the environment, and no directionThis is my first review on metacritic and will probably be my one and only one, but I really felt I had to share this. I have a deep hunch that this game is all about how FAKE RATINGS can make a person like myself buy a totally crap game. I cannot believe how ridiculous this "game" is: totally linear, no empathic connection whatsoever to the character or the environment, and no direction at all. This game is a proof of how low the gaming industry can go. I'm "glad" I bought this game for about 3 euros, but knowing what I know now, I would want to be paid a LOT of money to spend even five more minutes on it. A total market scam (check all those 10/10 marks and read the text, they're quite implausible. Stay miles away and don't even spend one cent on this one. Expand
  63. Nov 3, 2013
    This gamne is very gud. My favourite charcter is called Stanley. He is very good person. My Compuper ma bob dosn't alwasys run Stanley game. This makes me very sad......

But! I liek it!
  64. Nov 10, 2013
    It really is pretty neat game. had some fun playing it a few times. Honestly, the premise reminds me of the movie Stranger than Fiction which isn't a bad thing.
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    I just created an account because I think this game....game?...not sure it is the right definition ...it is more an April fool than a game. Forget all the positives reviews here. Young people think they discovered the true by trying to play this but in fact it is just what most of us already know and don't want to ear again and think again. Get the cash, do your best and pay your bill. WeI just created an account because I think this game....game?...not sure it is the right definition ...it is more an April fool than a game. Forget all the positives reviews here. Young people think they discovered the true by trying to play this but in fact it is just what most of us already know and don't want to ear again and think again. Get the cash, do your best and pay your bill. We bought games to relax and forget about the job not to remain us how our life can suck or how to see the life in a way that is total negativity. It is a good way to become tired of everything and start to forget how life can be great Just compare us to the rest of the planet. People are so whimsical and selfish ..please don't feed the moron's brain with that kind of stuff. LoL
    In short ... Download the demo.. play it.. If you can't catch the joke you not gonna like the game and even if you catch it and find it funny you're not gonna have a game if you buy the full release just the repetition of what you have found in the demo. Don't worth a penny to me since you gonna waste your precious time and money at thinking how your life can suck without doing anything constructive. It is a game killer. If you want to stop playing games ..good for you
  66. Oct 18, 2013
    pretty poor game really. i know i only spent £8 on it but in 16 and i could have spent it on vanity items for a game i dont even play and still have more use than this game. from the way everyone was hiding its story i thought the game would have been more in depth and longer. i played 84 mins most of which was trying to understand what i had spent my money on. i dont like to criticizepretty poor game really. i know i only spent £8 on it but in 16 and i could have spent it on vanity items for a game i dont even play and still have more use than this game. from the way everyone was hiding its story i thought the game would have been more in depth and longer. i played 84 mins most of which was trying to understand what i had spent my money on. i dont like to criticize indie games and i try to appreciate them for what they are. but i just cant appreciate some thing that i could put together in a weekend. Expand
  67. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What do you say about Stanley Parable......IT AWESOME! The narrator is funny, always wants you to hear his next words, and tells you were to go. If you don't he points his finger at and makes funny comments telling you that you're a waste to society well not that mean.) So if you want to laugh and if you want to hear his beautiful words then buy this game. Also there is no game play in this game. Expand
  68. Nov 6, 2013
    I do not understand the appeal behind this game. It's not a good game in any logical sense. It's very dull and lacks many features a game should have, not to mention the narrator's annoying voice.
  69. Jan 6, 2014
    This is not a game. This is a just a voice which says what you have to do. Finally you do not have a lot of possibilities in this "game". It is just like somebody who tell you a story...
  70. Oct 24, 2013
    It's not an FPS, it's not an adventure, it's an experience, a brand new genre, probably like those in Dear Esther or somekind. I never played those kind of games BTW, but Stanley Parable got great reviews everywhere and it kinda intrigue me, so why not.

At first I thought it was something like Portal, but no. Probably the closest comparison to Stanley Parable are text game adventures back in the DOS, or way back to Apple era, where you choose different choices, but now they actually visualize it with Source Engine. One very memorable game I remember was Mickey's Space Adventure. Yep, probably that's the closest comparison.

It start of simple, just an ordinary, average 9-5 employee working in his room. Then you choose what to do. The story grows, and grows. It is said that there're tons of possibilities in this game, so far I only found few. And the game actually tickle your curiosity so you will guaranteed coming back for more.

It's definitely not for everyone, but the story truly made me think about "choices". Specially choices I made in my real life.

And also it's a warm welcome and breath of new fresh air among those popular, mainstream "me too" horror, FPS, war, etc games.
  71. Jun 26, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a very strange but very interesting game. It is very short - about 2-3 hours in terms of total content - but the game can be "beaten" within ten minutes. The important thing to recognize is that "beating" the game isn't the point - the game has north of a dozen endings, and rather than diverging only at the end, the entire GAME changes between them.

The thing to

The thing to recognize about this game is that it is a humor-based game which is also a meta-commentary on other video games, choice in video games (or the illusion thereof), and many other things. Ironically, it has more actual choice than almost any other video game has.

Explaining why the game is great pretty much is a huge spoiler for the game; if you watch the trailers for the game and think they're intriguing, then you're going to enjoy the game. If you don't think the trailers are interesting, then the game will annoy you. And because the trailers are legitimately entertaining in their own right, you aren't wasting your time by watching them.

A word of warning though - the game IS quite short. It has about 2-3 hours worth of content, which is right for what the game is, but you should be aware of that when you buy it. While it is a high quality piece of entertainment, I would say that most people will sit down and go through all the content in a single evening and then likely never touch the game again. So, be aware of that when you buy it, and consider its price accordingly. Still, it is a great game for what it is, though goodness knows what one really calls a game like this - there aren't really any other games which are quite like it.
  72. Oct 23, 2013
    Another game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling andAnother game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling and interactive. this is you best bet. GOTY, possibly (well as GTA V isn't on PC i couldn't say) but PC GOTY. hell yes. Expand
  73. Jan 14, 2014
    Don't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I wasDon't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I was thoroughly entertained. My only complaint was that there wasn't that much content, but if you treat it like a movie, then it was fairly priced and I got a good deal.

PS: Voice work was 10/10
  74. Oct 21, 2013
    This is not a game. It's a lousy experiment with a pricey tag. There are better (and, actually, you know) GAMES than this for the price. Wild Games Studio ask too much.
  75. Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I was scared the whole time I played this. I'm so accustomed to violent super serious games that every corner I feared that there was some jump scare or zombie awaiting me. But once I played it a million times over I knew I had nothing to worry about. The game is almost perfect.
  76. Nov 25, 2013
    Very witty, clever, engaging, thought provoking and detailed. But... £10 for 2 hours played? If you don't mind spending £10 or whatever that is where you are on a movie that is very good, but you won't watch again, then this is probably a good game for you. If it had been half the price I would give it a 10/10.
  77. Oct 24, 2013
    As awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looksAs awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looks fine, it is just an indie adventure game the graphics fit perfectly with all thats needed for your enjoyment from this game. The narrator is fantastic as well. Definitely play this game when you get the chance, if you're patient just buy on some steam sale like always. But if you're a major gamer like me it's worth a pickup of $15 bucks! Expand
  78. Oct 21, 2013
    While this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playingWhile this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playing portal 2, then you have a lot to look forward to here. Saying any more would be a spoiler, play the free demo if your are not convinced. Expand
  79. Jan 4, 2014
    Great game, I've never played something like this before, it's not a traditional "finish it and move on game". I compare it to Portal without the puzzles, just the story.
  80. Jan 18, 2014
    A fascinating and fresh game. At first it may seem it will be an awful experience, because there's no guns or explosions. But you'll quickly understand why this game deserves such high ratings.
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    Along with your walking there will be a funny, interesting and humorous narrator. You make the story with your decisions, you change the
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    You make the story with your decisions, you change the course of the game with the paths you take, and the narrator always has an opinion on everything you do.
    And the voice actor... OHH, the voice actor. A majestic voice that will make you shed a tear with every sentence.
    You have a lot of paths you can take, and the game has a lot of endings and secrets!
    I wasted around 2-3 hours playing and re-playing the game, trying to get all the endings. I still missed 1
    or 2 "secret endings, but nothing major.
    Anyways, this game is a great experience and it's different from anything out there right now.
    I don't give it a 10/10 because after completing the game it has 0 re-playability, and the game starts getting a little repetitive after your 100th try, but it quickly hides it with the new narrator lines.
    Go buy it, you will not regret it.
  81. Dec 30, 2014
    Disappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there areDisappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there are alternate looping paths through the game, but knowing the ending I'm really not that interested. Expand
  82. Oct 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a game, this is simply piece of art. The whole time you are exploring different paths trying to figure out what is the meaning of the game trying to find an "answer" ...where are the employes, what is goin on?
    And the real answer is by my understanding that there is no answer ...and that the "employes" are other players before you who have played and realized that the game itself is "mind controlling" you into playing over and over again trying to find that goal and that really ...you are Stanley in real life siting behind your desk playing a game that really is not a game. :D
  83. Oct 20, 2013
    Really funny game I couldn't put it down. Just keep wanting to play it but that's about the only down side I have to it is that it's short. Have to say my fav part is the line one in how it just keeps going and going and going till you get the real" ending.
  84. Jan 23, 2014
    A game that is both fun and interesting and I can guarantee that it will make you think outside the box. The Narrator is what makes this game great and thanks to his priceless comments, you'll end up doing the weirdest things just to see his reaction to it :-)
    One of the greatest things about this game is that you can never quite finish it. There'll always be a few things you've missed here and there, and even though I've played it for quite a while now there's probably still 1 or 2 endings I haven't found yet.
    In any case this is a great game and I'll recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor :D
  85. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is amazing! Well worth the 12$ price tag. I've been playing for the past 2 hours and a half and there was always something new and interesting! Almost perfection
  86. Oct 31, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant. It's like Antichamber meets Bastion meets The Fight Club. Note that it's closer to an interactive storytelling than to a game per se, however the branching and numerous quirks are so complex that no other media besides games can offer the same experience.
  87. Nov 12, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is one of the greatest examples of how an indie game can be so good and so well done and creative with few tools.When looking at the game's core, the entire experience of playing can be defined by one word:creativity; whilst the game itself can be defined by another:choice.

The game's intense metalanguage can make you think for hours, and the way it is played can't be compared by any experience since it's such a unique game.It is quite short and can digress form it's own plot at times, even if at others this is it's main intention, going from the philosophic to the comic, yet it's an amazing work of art developer's wise, embracing the true power of games.
  88. Oct 23, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to live your life narrated by a wonderfully voiced British man? Than Stanley's Parable is perfect for you, whether your adventure takes your to a Broom closest or a blue or red door, this game is pretty awesome. All in all, I had a great time and laughed more than once throughout my, Stanley's, journey.
  89. Jan 28, 2014
    There has been three indies in 2013 that stole my heart. Gone Home, Papers Please and The Stanley Parable. The three are my addiction, my gems, my precious golden rings.
    But somehow, The Stanley Parable is the one I most enjoyed. Maybe because I never know what to expect, because each playthrough is completely different. Maybe because I have never played the Half Life mod so I don't actually know how the original is, and still, find this incredibly good. It is darkly funny, confusing and dazzling. It may not have the best visuals and the gameplay is pretty simple. But the amount of freedom (Or not) in this game is outstanding.
    First of all, some of the best writing is here. Even the achievements are funny (Take a look at them). You are Stanley and a narrator is sort of telling you what to do. You can obey him or disobey him and this can take you through a lot of different endings and situations. I love decision-based games, and this the motherload as you must discover the decisions. And it is not knowing what will come next what makes the game so exciting.
    The visuals are good. They will not make your eyes overload with exuberant beauty, but they are not clunky. In fact, play it in a powerful PC, and you have a damn pretty game. It is a game you have to experience with as little knowledge as possible to enjoy its fully potential. The Stanley Parable is one of this year's best Indies. But remember, THISISNEVERTHEEND.
  90. Oct 23, 2013
    Really fun to play, the game relies on the interaction between the narrator and the player. It is somehow extremely satisfying to see that every action you could think of has been anticipated. The Stanley parable explores some interesting topics and is a very "meta" type of experience (video game hipsters please enjoy). On the somewhat less gleeful side, you do see everything after 5-6Really fun to play, the game relies on the interaction between the narrator and the player. It is somehow extremely satisfying to see that every action you could think of has been anticipated. The Stanley parable explores some interesting topics and is a very "meta" type of experience (video game hipsters please enjoy). On the somewhat less gleeful side, you do see everything after 5-6 hours, which is completely fine but still a bit short as it involves a certain amount of repetition. Expand
  91. Jan 11, 2014
    The game is unique and awesome. I dont want to spoil, but I reccomend anyone who plays not only dumb-style CS games, but some games actually makes you think at least a little. This reminds me of Portal games (Portal is better obv.) This game is very short and it is not actually a game after all, thats why I cant rate it maximum, but believe me, you gonna enjoy it!
  92. Oct 21, 2013
    Lots of Re-playability. Hilarious Narrator and Nice Graphics. This game will keep you coming back to try and find every ending possible. At such a low price this is definitely a game to pick up!
  93. Jan 16, 2014
    Engaging and interesting. The intelligence and interactivity with the narrator in regards to actions effecting the story telling is a lot of fun to be honest. Thorough enjoyable.
    I also love games that are a viable "I only feel like playing for 20-30 minutes before I have to do something" game, as it can be as short or as long as you want. Good game.
  94. Jun 20, 2015
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you It makes you want to play a real game I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you
    It makes you want to play a real game

I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I could find.
    And that's really my biggest issue with the game: I have no clue what goes and what not. I fear it's really just about bruteforcing different routes.
  95. Oct 21, 2013
    It one of the most epic game ive ever played just wow it made me so hard laughing than no other game.
    its humor is damm brilliant and there is just nothing like that out there!!!
    the worst part is that it is so short but i had NEVER fun like that before by just playing a video-game!
  96. Oct 21, 2013
    It's basically a chose your own adventure book meets video game, but breaks the fourth wall more than necessary, and blows your mind. Every turn brings a new adventure, completely different than the last. Worth every penny.
  97. Jan 3, 2014
    Incredibly diverse... that is one particularly fitting way to describe this game.
    Never before have I had the pleasure of putting so much time into a pointless game.
    Most likely because it is not a game... it's an experience.
    One that I recommend to everyone... and don't be shy to pick up a walk trough at the end to see what you have been missing!
  98. Oct 21, 2013
    I'm only writing this to hopefully convince someone to ignore the 0 score trolls writing reviews when they obviously missed the point of the game.

NOTE: This game is best played knowing nothing. Question nothing about the extraordinary premise, or wonderful voice acting, or amazing plot(s). Just go buy the thing. Go on, I'll be waiting here when you get back if you insist on some (light) spoilers to convince you that you've made the right choice.

Are you now the proud owner of the Stanley Parable? Good. Read on.

Born from the humor and wit of Portal and its sequel, The Stanley Parable sets out to tell a story (quite a few of them, in fact) and challenge everything you think you know about games as a medium. While it is most definitely not gameplay intensive, it contains some of the hardest puzzles I've seen in a while (but I'm sure Rcj8993 or Dcruize didn't take the time to find the final boss battle with the narrator, or back out of the boss's office as the doors close, locking you out and sending you to an entirely different ending). Answer the phone to pick up your order of 100 cardboard boxes. Escape the office via the first window on your left. Reach ascension by pressing all of the "Awaiting Input" computers. These are just a few of the many endings this game has to offer, but that said there's probably many more that nobody has found yet. The dynamic between Stanley (mute but expressive) and the Narrator (awe-some in the truest sense of the word).
  99. Oct 22, 2013
    Awesome Too Awesome If you're interested in a Mind game Then The Stanley Parable is the choice for you some parts is confusing but fun some funny moments like one of the endings but it's just Awesome. Can't say anymore.
  100. Apr 1, 2016
    Buying this game is like buying Flappy Bird or any other **** game. Spoilers? Nothing to spoil, the game is crap. Basically all you do is walk around and you see crazy **** crap as you do or don't listen to the voice narrating where you go. I guess people have no real will in real life and think that "hay, if I can go against my story, my will, my repetitive life, in this game, I won atBuying this game is like buying Flappy Bird or any other **** game. Spoilers? Nothing to spoil, the game is crap. Basically all you do is walk around and you see crazy **** crap as you do or don't listen to the voice narrating where you go. I guess people have no real will in real life and think that "hay, if I can go against my story, my will, my repetitive life, in this game, I won at life! Yay!".
    No. The game is **** and unworthy of purchase at above 1$

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]