8.0

1. Aug 11, 2017
    8/10 (Keep it)

8/10 (Keep it)

The Stanley Parable is first-person narrative driven game in which the player's choice has drastic changes on the story being told. I will not go into much detail on the ins and outs of the game, as it is spoilers, and much more fun to discover everything yourself, whether its accidental or not. There are many great secrets and hidden parts to this game to be discovered, and the story and dialogue are genuinely funny, even at times fourth wall breaking. While the game is fairly limited content wise, the narration and witty humor will keep you coming back for more, even if you already discovered every ending.
  2. Jun 26, 2017
    The Stanley Parable was originally a Half-Life 2 Mod, But now Valve has remade it on the Valve's Source engine, also adding new endings and features. The Stanley Parable is a very well made game, that is designed a lot like a single-player Valve game, with very little story being conveyed through cut-scenes, and a massive chunk of it being presented through gameplay. The graphics andThe Stanley Parable was originally a Half-Life 2 Mod, But now Valve has remade it on the Valve's Source engine, also adding new endings and features. The Stanley Parable is a very well made game, that is designed a lot like a single-player Valve game, with very little story being conveyed through cut-scenes, and a massive chunk of it being presented through gameplay. The graphics and environments are very detailed and well done, the voice acting is very genuine and emotive, and the game manages to stay investing and worth playing without flashy action sequences or huge explosions. However, this game is definitely not worth a full 60, 30, or even 20$. For 10$ or below, this game is definitely worth it, but no more than that. Good game, but make sure you get it at the right price. Expand
  3. May 10, 2017
    Trying to define this, even using the word "game" is really not cutting it. The Stanley Parable is daring, revolutionary, humorous and smart. At least those are the traits that I look for in an indie game.
  4. May 7, 2017
    Interesantísimo y divertido videojuego experimental. Una especie de experimento sobre la narrativa y la libertad en los videojuegos. Una experiencia inolvidable.
  5. Apr 30, 2017
    An evil game that uses subliminal messages in the demo to convince you to buy the game. AVOID THE GAME. THIS ALONE SHOULD CONVINCE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM THESE MANIPULATIVE PEOPLE'S HORRID GAME.
  6. Apr 29, 2017
    It is a great game with infinite possibilities for its ending, but I gave it 3 days max, than I get bored. It is worth to try, though, sometimes you don't even know why you are compelled to keep going...
  7. Apr 4, 2017
    "I just told you a joke, now I will tell a hundred variations for it".

"I just told you a joke, now I will tell a hundred variations for it".

At the beginning of the game, you are given a choice. The choice is, two doors. The narrator tells you to take the door on left, but the obvious choice is taking the door on right. Because you know that you are playing a game, and whatever happens, it won't have major consequences because it is just at the beginning and you can just restart the game. I'm just guessing, 95% of you took the door on right, yeah? Whatever, I went right, then the game started to feel obnoxious. Throwing me the same sarcastic jokes over and over again. OK dude, I get it, it is because I "broke" the rule how this is meant to be played, and I'm getting punished by dumb restarts and jokes. I tried some variations but they were all pretty disappointing. Then I said, **** it, then I did everything the narrator wanted. The game finished in like a minute. Nothing was explained, bad ending. Then I said to myself, "this doesn't feel right, there must be something in this game". I went to the console at the end, pressed ON. I did that probably about 10 times. If you haven't played the game, the facility enters a self detonation state after you press the button. Then in a nearby room, everything gets intractable, and you have 2 minutes before everything explodes and then you die and restart the game. I thought this was a puzzle, but narrator clearly said there was nothing I could do, but he is full of **** so I tried and tried again until I "solved" the puzzle. But just like narrator said in that segment, "you will die, again and again, happily ever aft-", so I did ****ing die, every ****ing time. I got super frustrated and did some online research. After learning there was nothing I could do, I learnt that there were around 20 endings. I did some of them, not really enjoying my time, then I quieted the game entirely.

I mean, who would've thought attempting suicide had the best ending? "Are you sick of this game?", **** yeah I'm sick of this **** Then there is this, when I was pressing F5 to quicksave the game, the game was freezing a bit like it was saving. The game has no save, I was like, "what?". Then I looked at the controls, guess what, F5 stands for screenshot. OK, that was a pretty good 9gag le trolled xd moment. Then there is that broom closet which is funny. Other than those, nothing really stands out.

You may argue that this game is not about jokes or fun, that it is breaking the 4th wall and it is a masterpiece. You mister, are ****ing retarded and probably should kill yourself. See what I did there? That was the game, and not the game. I just broke that 4th wall, now choke on my dick you nerd. No, I'm not serious, at all.

If you haven't played this game yet, you don't have to play it because I just spoiled the best parts of it, and the game itself just makes as sense as my last paragraph. If you like to play tech demos or you're a sucker of bland English humor, go ahead and torrent it. No, I'm not checking the spoiler box, the game itself gives you spoilers if you go right. Yeah, that was a spoiler too. **** this game.
  8. Feb 18, 2017
    Game: The Stanley Parable
    Genre: Adventure
    Publisher/Developer: Galactic Cafe System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 74/100 Value Score: 7.4/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 6/10 • Length: 3/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 7/10 -Very Short -Barely any music and to the ones available not very memorable
    Game: The Stanley Parable

• Length: 3/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 7/10

-Very Short
    -Barely any music and to the ones available not very memorable
  9. Jan 1, 2017
    It's worth about 1,5h of your time. Surprising, kinda funny, there were moments I was bored but I decided to give a few more shots and it didn't turn out to be a waste of time. I even got the "click on door 430 5 times" achievement. Try it when summer discount kicks in.
  10. Dec 30, 2016
    Oyun orijinal bir düşünceden yola çıkarak hazırlanmış olsa da yapmak istedikleri şeyi tam olarak yaptıklarını düşünmüyorum. Çünkü gerçek anlamda bu oyunda hiç bir şey yapmıyorsunuz. Hiçbir şey. Bir labirentin içinde gibi sürekli farklı yerlere uğrayarak hikaye anlatıcının konusmalarını dinliyorsunuz. Bu kadar.
  11. Dec 29, 2016
    Bottom line: The Stanley Parable is an awesome piece of video gaming,
    A little tip - play the demo BEFORE playing the full game. The demo is not acctually a part of the game, but more like a standalone introductory chapter to the game, and it will give you the taste of what this game is all about.
    Bottom line: The Stanley Parable is an awesome piece of video gaming,

Which is necessary, because The Stanley Parable is probably unlike any other game you've played before.
    Not much puzzles in here, not much action, not much of a big, complex story. Not much characters, not much music, and not much of anything you'd expect from a standard video game.

Without spoiling the experience too much (although, if you haven't played the game yet and reading through those reviews you're probably already spoiled!), I'd tell that the Stanley Parable explores the concepts of choices and consequences and narration in video games. And it does so very wittingly and and elegantly.

The game has many secrets and things for you to reveal and find out, and therefore the experience is based mainly on your will to explore and try out new things. And while you can "complete" the game within 10 minutes or even less, each gameplay can and probably will look completely different.

I've played the game for about 5 hours in total which I spread across many short "sessions" of playing the game, and I feel I haven't revealed the entire content of the game (even when using a walkthrough).

Technically, there's not much to say, the game is built with the Source engine used in the famous HL games, which is highly stable and still looks good even after aging quite a bit. You'll find out that the game has plenty of "atmospheres" throughout the different paths you can take, and it seems there was much thought put into every detail of the game, It plays fantastically, but as I said before, this is not a usual game.

I highly recommend it for anyone which can appreciate something a bit different, where the center is about how the story is told rather than the story itself, or rather than who's the next target to shoot
  12. Dec 26, 2016
    The Stanley Parable is an amazing game with a good massage that really makes you think. You play as Stanley and you find out that all your co-workers are missing and I will not dare spoil the few endings of this game just take my work that it's amazing.
  13. Oct 31, 2016
    Like an artsy movie the game tries to make a statement about other games and their lack of choice. In the end it succeeds quite well at this, but spending 3 hours wandering around an office to have pointed out to me all the ways games are flawed is not really my idea of fun. I got the joke, such that it was, after the first 30 mins.
  14. Sep 4, 2016
    Very refreshing experience. This is obviously not a traditional game, but nonetheless it is absolutely recommended for everyone even slightly interested in video games (as a medium, not just in playing them).

Witty, no longer than they needed to tell what they wanted. My only advice: after you feel you are done with it (don't want to spoil it) find a guide so you can see what you

Witty, no longer than they needed to tell what they wanted.

My only advice: after you feel you are done with it (don't want to spoil it) find a guide so you can see what you have missed, there will be one or two surprises yet for you.
  15. Jun 14, 2016
    I'm not always giving 10/10, but when I do, it's worth it. This game is simple and genius, just like AK-47. You just walk, hearing what The Narrator is saying and sometimes you just do everything to prove him, that you're not following this. In this simple game, there is a very complex message, but it's up to you to find it.
    I truly can recommend this game, it will give you a lot of fun
    I truly can recommend this game, it will give you a lot of fun and laughs.
  16. Jun 4, 2016
    It was a good game with a good message sent out and the story changed after how you played it. The game was however shorter than my dick, I litteraly finished the game after 10 minutes.
  17. May 31, 2016
    The thing about The Stanley Parable is that it is, after all, a parable. It's preaching about a thing in the form of a story designed to illustrate its point.

And that's fine as far as it goes. The problem lies in the fact that the thing the game preaches about is how bad games are for people and wouldn't it be better if we all went outside. There is a wry humor to the game,

There is a wry humor to the game, certainly and the weird feeling you get as you try to find out how the game works is certainly effective, but it becomes obvious to anyone who's been gaming for decades that the story is all about the idea that gaming on the whole is bad and somehow stifles human creativity.

And that's all there is.

Don't waste your money or your time with this. There are better pieces of interactive fiction available.
  18. Apr 18, 2016
    the game itself is bad during my play session at most it offers is 2 hours its main selling point is because of the graphic the make the narrative soooo long that it bores me out it suck don't waste a pretty 15 bucks at this game play fallout new Vegas or better yet go play cs-go rests the mind than this cluster f-ck of a mess some people praise this game but I despise it.
  19. Apr 16, 2016
    perfecta narracion, muy buenos giros y grandes solpresas hacen de este un videojuego diferente, único, centrado en otro enfoque nuevo y unico en el mundo de los videojuegos. una verdadera obra de arte
  20. Apr 1, 2016
    Buying this game is like buying Flappy Bird or any other **** game. Spoilers? Nothing to spoil, the game is crap. Basically all you do is walk around and you see crazy **** crap as you do or don't listen to the voice narrating where you go. I guess people have no real will in real life and think that "hay, if I can go against my story, my will, my repetitive life, in this game, I won atBuying this game is like buying Flappy Bird or any other **** game. Spoilers? Nothing to spoil, the game is crap. Basically all you do is walk around and you see crazy **** crap as you do or don't listen to the voice narrating where you go. I guess people have no real will in real life and think that "hay, if I can go against my story, my will, my repetitive life, in this game, I won at life! Yay!".
    No. The game is **** and unworthy of purchase at above 1$
  21. Mar 15, 2016
    tHIS IS, I SWEAR, THE BEST WALKING SIMULATOR IVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE OH MY GOD IM ITS BIG FAN REALLY, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY YOU WONT BE REGRET BEST GAME EVER U KNOW
  22. Feb 2, 2016
    The Stanley Parable is such an interesting look at the game culture... I did enjoy the constant mind screw the game offers to the players.

I can see why the game got negative reviews but really for what it IS this game is damn near perfect. If the Graphics aren't your thing, play it for the dark and dry humor.
  23. Jan 25, 2016
    A fan-made mod witch was made into a game? A fan-made game? That can never be bad, right? Yeah, I was corect. Stanley Parable is a GREAT game. But after finding all the endings and laughing, theres nothing to do.
  24. Jan 23, 2016
    With The Stanley Parable you will have an awesome experience, the game will elapse according to what you do. You don´t play this game, the game play with you.
  25. Jan 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Indie trash without a real game. It's wannabe philosophical, lasts as long as a movie, but is an order of magnitude less interesting than most movies. There were a couple of good jokes that made me smile but it lacks content. The choices you had could have been made so much more interesting than just "go left, go right", replicated 8 times. Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2015
    A game about how/why we play games but without any engaging gameplay and plenty of meandering one-sided dialogue to sit through instead. I read a while back before I ever played The Stanley Parable that it breaks the fourth wall continuously but it unfortunately doesn't... It would be more accurate to say that it BREACHES the fourth wall and it does so with all the subtlety of a CoD spA game about how/why we play games but without any engaging gameplay and plenty of meandering one-sided dialogue to sit through instead. I read a while back before I ever played The Stanley Parable that it breaks the fourth wall continuously but it unfortunately doesn't... It would be more accurate to say that it BREACHES the fourth wall and it does so with all the subtlety of a CoD sp campaign setpiece.

The writing is so on the nose and lacks any nuance, this is the kind of dialogue you would expect to hear at a children's pantomime show though I doubt musings on the perils of a virtual reality existentialist crisis would make for great entertainment in practice, especially for them chilluns. I respect the fact that the team tried to do something different but Christ alive this is some weapons-grade pretentiousness. I love games and gaming and you probably do too but if you want to discuss these facets of gaming then make a goddamned documentary not a mod with a bizarre voiceover harping on at you.
  27. Dec 13, 2015
    Firstly, you need to understand the "gameplay" available in TSP. You walk down branching corridors, and you choose whether to go left or right, through door A or door B. This leads to another corridor, etc. Imagine a tree, with numerous branches. The "game" lets you walk to the end of each branch, then locks you in a room, and gives you 10 mins of "funny" (not really) narrative. Then itFirstly, you need to understand the "gameplay" available in TSP. You walk down branching corridors, and you choose whether to go left or right, through door A or door B. This leads to another corridor, etc. Imagine a tree, with numerous branches. The "game" lets you walk to the end of each branch, then locks you in a room, and gives you 10 mins of "funny" (not really) narrative. Then it restarts you at the beginning. *This is the game*. If, as was the case for me, you don't find the narrative amusing, then this game has *nothing* for you. Not even a single puzzle. It's the "game" equivalent of those "make your own adventure" books, that I hated as a kid. I was too busy reading real novels to be interested in that gimmicky rubbish. Same deal here. Get yourself a good book, or play a real game. This is a waste of time. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2015
    A pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator'sA pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator's nerves.

There isn't all that much content in the game, and I kind of wish it had more, but what is there is certainly worth experiencing. The game is both funny and thought-provoking. "Now, Stanley, let's go and find the story." :D
  29. Nov 9, 2015
    It's one of those games where you walk around, but it's much more interactive than most. It responds to all your choices, and the main fun of the matter is taking things in unexpected directions to see if the game is ready for it. Most of the time, it is, and has a new story branch to go right along with it. They thought of almost everything. There are a great deal of possible endings toIt's one of those games where you walk around, but it's much more interactive than most. It responds to all your choices, and the main fun of the matter is taking things in unexpected directions to see if the game is ready for it. Most of the time, it is, and has a new story branch to go right along with it. They thought of almost everything. There are a great deal of possible endings to discover and a few hours of pure comedy to enjoy. If you're not into meta-comedy or mocking the basics of game design in general, you won't find much to laugh at, but as someone who enjoys this sort of thing, it's irresistibly clever, made better by its wonderful narrator. Expand
  30. Oct 24, 2015
    The Stanley Parable is an interactive storytelling video game designed by Davey Wreden. The game originally released on July 27, 2011 as a free modification for Half-Life 2. A high-definition stand-alone remake, including new story elements, was again designed by Davey Wreden together with Source engine modeler William Pugh, under the Galactic Cafe studio name.
  31. Oct 23, 2015
    El juego en sí, es genial, está planteado muy bien. Pero tiene una duración de risa... Es un juego paradójico en ese aspecto. No puedo crear un gran juego a a partir de un mod con un precio que ni de risa da de juego.
  32. Oct 17, 2015
    I'll simply say this, being disobedient and being chewed out for it is hilerious fun. Play this game and discover the many ways you can anger the narrator. Or don't, it's entirely up to you, but it's much more fun to be disobedient in this game, trust me.
  33. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Some of the best voice acting gaming has ever seen
    + Defends itself from criticism by being overly self-aware of its every design and narrative feature
    ? Unclear to players whether or not it's actually a game
    - Not actually as self-aware of its every design and narrative feature as it appears at first
  34. Sep 11, 2015
    I have no doubts giving this game a 9 out of 10.
    It's amazing how was I truly surprised and confused, toyed-with and helped by this game. For me this game is pure genius and I had an insane amount of enjoyment playing it.
    I have no doubts giving this game a 9 out of 10.
    Still I won't recommend it to everyone, because a lot of people may find this game meaningless and boring (If you enjoyed portal, you may like this, even if it's quite more "deep").
  35. Sep 1, 2015
    While The Stanley Parable may be unique, it is far from anything amazing. The game is basically based off of making decisions and seeing how it effects the multiple endings. Because of this, you will want to see all the events that can happen, and all the endings that there are, which can make the game a massive grind after a short while. The story is fairly basic, but has some interestingWhile The Stanley Parable may be unique, it is far from anything amazing. The game is basically based off of making decisions and seeing how it effects the multiple endings. Because of this, you will want to see all the events that can happen, and all the endings that there are, which can make the game a massive grind after a short while. The story is fairly basic, but has some interesting twists and turns, but still nothing remarkable. Expand
  36. Aug 31, 2015
    Entertaining, that's how I would explain this game if I had one word and one word only.

Love the voice of the narrator, he is the all of the game, if it wasn;t for him the game wouldn't even be called a game.

Had a good 2 hours with it.
  37. Aug 23, 2015
    In the beginning, the game was intriguing. The dialogue from the narrator was condescending but I thought it was hilarious and found myself responding to his dialogue through the choices I made. At one point he pissed me off enough that I refused to listen to any of his directions and that gave me a rather interesting ending. That is, in my opinion, the essence of the Stanley Parable:In the beginning, the game was intriguing. The dialogue from the narrator was condescending but I thought it was hilarious and found myself responding to his dialogue through the choices I made. At one point he pissed me off enough that I refused to listen to any of his directions and that gave me a rather interesting ending. That is, in my opinion, the essence of the Stanley Parable: making a decision whether to obey or disobey. In a way, the game challenges not only the existence of Stanley but it also forces you to consider how your own life is similar to the way this game is played. It is at once both unnerving and impressive that a game can force so much philosophical, existential dogma down your throat while you listen to the same intro time and time again.

I personally enjoyed finding all the different endings and to see which one I liked best. That being said, the frustration and mental exhaustion is real. Never has a game actually made me feel so mentally exhausted due to repetition and tedium. While the narrator was hilarious, his dialogue got more and more irritating as I got more tired. I would highly recommend to play this game in one sitting. If you are someone who loves to explore and seek out the unknown then I would highly suggest you try this game out. If you are someone who is impatient and needs instant gratification then you may struggle with this game.
  38. Aug 5, 2015
    I really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtfulI really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtful philosophical observations built into the game. I've played about 5 1/2 hours so far trying to find different hidden elements of the game and have found alot of them, but there are still more.

If this even sounds halfway interesting to you play it. I haven't played anything quite like it, and found it totally worth the exploration.
  39. Jul 29, 2015
    Great game that is a fast pace run of the mill AAA MLG title, just a good relaxing game to play on your down time. only con is the game is really short and you can beat this in a few hours.
  40. Jul 28, 2015
    The Stanley Parable is a short but perfectly formed experience, great comedy and a wonderful narrative. It'll make you think but it won't be for long.
  41. Jul 10, 2015
    This game is amazing. Basically, the narrator tells you what to do and you can choose whether to do something else or listen to him. when you think that the game's over, you find another ending. The story is short, but you replay it, and make different desicions to get a different ending. some endings go over multiple restarts. and believe me, there are some cool, weird and creepy endings.This game is amazing. Basically, the narrator tells you what to do and you can choose whether to do something else or listen to him. when you think that the game's over, you find another ending. The story is short, but you replay it, and make different desicions to get a different ending. some endings go over multiple restarts. and believe me, there are some cool, weird and creepy endings. there are a lot of dark areas, with little sound. it makes you feel alone, but don't worry, no jumpscares. there are some awesome things you can find *SPOILER* like Portal and Minecraft.
    Even one of the endings is supposed to seem like a glitch. I even tried sv_cheats to see if i got an ending, and sure enough, i got a lecture by the narrator about not cheating. He remembers choices you made previously too (only if you don't die or if you restart manually). Another thing i have to point out is that the game will start again from the beginning if you don't save before quitting, for instance, he wont comment on previous endings. the save feature can be turned on in the options, along win an achievement :). I love how the office can change and that the narrator says some different things each time, and if you keep making the same decisions each restart, he gets impatient.

I loved the illusion of there being endless possibilities, and even though there are not, there are loads of secrets and endings to find. i still haven't gotten all of the endings. I got one called the escape pod ending, and believe me, it is really hard to find. (hint/spoiler: it involves backtracking.)

I love this game, it is a great remake, and i love how they kept kevan brighting as the narrator. he is perfect for this game. along with the old stuff, they have added more dialog, textures that were not taken from half life 2 and way more endings. I really recommend this game. that said, this game is more expensive than half life 2, and even though this has a lot of content, i think this game should be 10 dollars instead of 15. Still, worth paying that much for it.

The game is just a little short, and I would have liked it if they allowed workshop support and updated the game to have more stories/outcomes. It's like buying Battlefield and only getting 1 map with no more coming out.
  42. Jul 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I understood the meaning of the game and almost the 80% of the secrets and clues on the museum. I am a gamer, and I like to play videogames, not a paranoid reasoning about videogames or the development of them. This game it’s simply boring, not intractable (you can transmit the same idea, letting the player interact more with the context), or even making a book to transmit your thinking. It’s made for people that needs to get unique experience to get realized. And what means the museum? It’s like: “Oh, see!! What a huge d*** I got!! I have made this for this reason, u see?” It’s really not a good game… Expand
  43. Jun 25, 2015
    Some games are weird and/or experimental just for the sake of it. This is not one of those games. I thoroughly enjoyed looking for alternate ways to get through the story, for different ending that most of the time weren't even there.

I see people talking about the message of this game. Well if there is a message I certainly didn't care for it. Just give it a shot - there's a demo - and enjoy yourself.
  44. Jun 24, 2015
    "This is the story about a man named Stanley" - The Strange Narrator

The first words I hear when I play this amazing first person narrative game. It is one of the best narrative games I have played in a while. With confusing endings to really crazy achievements. This game is really satisfying in what it does. I highly recommend getting this game while you can.
  45. Jun 20, 2015
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you It makes you want to play a real game I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I
    After grinding it for quite a few hours it dumbs down to this:
    The narrator makes it worthwhile trying different routes
    The game makes fun of you
    It makes you want to play a real game

I was hoping there would be more problem solving, for instance the On-Button-Scenario, where I could actually through some means change the outcome. Maybe it's even possible but there was nothing I could find.
    And that's really my biggest issue with the game: I have no clue what goes and what not. I fear it's really just about bruteforcing different routes.
  46. Jun 14, 2015
    I did not expect to be a pretty good game. It is really funny and very fun .
  47. May 7, 2015
    i played this game without knowing anything about it and i strongly suggest you do the same. extremely weird in a good way and it makes you play it over and over.
  48. Apr 28, 2015
    Very good game. Its fun and peculiar. Don't play it while on acid. This game will screw with your head so much that it will make you question your own existence.

10/10 for the biggest "WUT!?" in the history of gaming so far
  49. Feb 12, 2015
    Really wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this at all, and my initial impression wasn't good either if I'm honest.

Glad I gave it more than five minutes though, because it's really good. Give it a whirl!
  50. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Even if the total play time is quite short (about 2 / 3 hours to reach the supposed end) the game succeeds in proposing an original and unsettling experience. Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of game itself. And it's here where it really shines.

One critical aspect of all adventure games is plot and dialogue. Here the plot is as mysterious as you could imagine, and the narrator perplexity in what you do funny as well. After a while, you just enjoy the simple act of doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do, exercing free will, enjoying a strange feeling of agency even if it leads to the brutal death of the brave Stanley.

The game even reach the point of developing beyond the Stranger than Fiction plot (if you happen to know the movie) for a moment of sheer delight.

Really, The Stanley Parable does something powerful in the game world : instead of being a little of everything that works in different genres (like Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing), it does not try to be strong where it's weak and focuses all its strengh on what it's great at!

And the developers should be praised for that :)
  51. Jan 24, 2015
    You like fast paced games with tons of replayability but zero clue of why you are shooting those guys or some other characters in the game,go play something else.You want a slow,subtle or memorable game?Go play this.The bottom line that I saw from observing low scores vs. high scores is that the ones who rated this low are the shooter type of gamers,the ones who wants the action fast andYou like fast paced games with tons of replayability but zero clue of why you are shooting those guys or some other characters in the game,go play something else.You want a slow,subtle or memorable game?Go play this.The bottom line that I saw from observing low scores vs. high scores is that the ones who rated this low are the shooter type of gamers,the ones who wants the action fast and short without a single memory of it,while the ones who rated it high are the diverse ones who likes any genre as long as it is decent,and liked this because of the witts and tricks in it,and also some message.The point is,the fast paced gamers is trying to rush everything like a deranged weeaboo and not remembering the past things the Narrator said.In these types of games you won't get a single enjoyment if you like things fast,you don't enjoy it by what the low raters say replayability,you enjoy it by it's quality,every,single,low scorer tried to rush replay it as fast as they can to get all the endings but didn't payed attention so they didn't enjoy it,it's like sex,it's not how many times you can thrust that little stick of yours,it's how memorable each of those slow thrusts are.If you want to see 10/10,go with the flow of the game and make personal decisions,this isn't your CoD shooter where you shoot random yet generic guys aimlessly without any kind of compelling reasons and you don't even know why you are shooting them except because they are the ones infront of you who doesn't dress like you.but if you wanna see 0/10 you can see it by trying hard and replaying it as fast as you can,remember,forcing something isn't always gonna work,do not force the fun out of this game because the more you force it the lesser you get,take it calmly to enjoy it,there is nothing more than a good game and a peaceful atmosphere,yes,even for shooters,you can't really play anything if the people around you are rampaging the hell out of the house or your room. Expand
  52. Jan 17, 2015
    Games developers these days are becoming more self-aware. They are utilising those perceptions from inside and outside the gaming community, using sarcasm and wit to incorporate them into their games. Think back on Borderlands 2; half of the quests are a parody of quests and ideas from other games.

The Stanley Parable makes a mockery of choice, and the illusion of it in most games. The Narrator (with hilarious dialogue) tells you to go one way. You may want to go the other. Instead of blocking you from doing so, The Stanley Parable thrives on this, with about 20 possible endings to choose from. And because the play-throughs are so short, you'll want to find them all, and see how snarky you can make the Narrator.

Go on, buy it. You don't have a choice.
  53. Jan 14, 2015
    This is my first review on metacritic and will probably be my one and only one, but I really felt I had to share this. I have a deep hunch that this game is all about how FAKE RATINGS can make a person like myself buy a totally crap game. I cannot believe how ridiculous this "game" is: totally linear, no empathic connection whatsoever to the character or the environment, and no directionThis is my first review on metacritic and will probably be my one and only one, but I really felt I had to share this. I have a deep hunch that this game is all about how FAKE RATINGS can make a person like myself buy a totally crap game. I cannot believe how ridiculous this "game" is: totally linear, no empathic connection whatsoever to the character or the environment, and no direction at all. This game is a proof of how low the gaming industry can go. I'm "glad" I bought this game for about 3 euros, but knowing what I know now, I would want to be paid a LOT of money to spend even five more minutes on it. A total market scam (check all those 10/10 marks and read the text, they're quite implausible. Stay miles away and don't even spend one cent on this one. Expand
  54. Dec 30, 2014
    Disappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there areDisappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there are alternate looping paths through the game, but knowing the ending I'm really not that interested. Expand
  55. Dec 29, 2014
    I can see that this game is a clever piece of art however, it is not a game at all. It is more of a statement of someone who thinks they are more clever and witty than everyone else. I tried hard to like this but, instead I just felt really bad for anyone who actually paid money to play it for an hour.
  56. Dec 20, 2014
    Even though The Stanley Parable is a game priced at $14.99, it still is not worth it. There really isn't much going for it except the charm, which wears off quickly. Sure, some of the jokes are mildly amusing, but most of the narration is bland. I forced myself to play an hour of it, and I will not be returning. This game lacks gameplay, which is not an issue with certain games, but in TheEven though The Stanley Parable is a game priced at $14.99, it still is not worth it. There really isn't much going for it except the charm, which wears off quickly. Sure, some of the jokes are mildly amusing, but most of the narration is bland. I forced myself to play an hour of it, and I will not be returning. This game lacks gameplay, which is not an issue with certain games, but in The Stanley Parable it is. When all I am doing in a game is walking through bland environments and listening to a bland narrator, I will surely want my fourteen dollars and ninety nine cents back. I don't understand the praise for this game. It is simply dull. Expand
  57. Nov 14, 2014
    Original concept, works great and doesn't require much of a computer. If you get it at 6$ its a 8, but if u got it for 3$ like me I would give it a 10. Not the longest game but if u get it cheap it'll be worth it.
  58. Nov 14, 2014
    Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game Best game ever but it aint a game
  59. Nov 11, 2014
    You will love this game. I promise. I will lick my shoes if you don't. How can you not like such an original game? It's so empty, yet rich with dialogue and personality and humour.
  60. Oct 27, 2014
    It's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way toIt's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way to describe this game. Expand
  61. Oct 26, 2014
    STANLEY PARABLE IS A GREAT GAME THAT TELLS YOU NOT JUST A STORY,BUT A GREAT AND FUNNY ONE.
    +Great Narrator/Funny Narrator
    +Great Endings/Funny Endings
    +Great Graphics
    +Great Story
    +Awesome Easter Eggs
    However...
    -I think there should be an update with more endings.But this doesn't change nothing,it's still a...
    10/10.
  62. Oct 9, 2014
    -Snip-
    ...............................................................................................................................................
  63. Oct 3, 2014
    This game plays with your brain and alter your minds, none game is similar like this. The game developers should be like this developers and make games like this
  64. Sep 21, 2014
    I'm not usually a big fan of the genre known as "walking simulators" but The Stanley Parable, despite it's short length, has won me over thanks to its hilarious Douglas Adams style of writing with several laugh-out-loud moments. The game also plays a bit like a first person version of a visual novel, which means multiple endings aplenty.
  65. Sep 18, 2014
    Warning: it's not a game. It's not even a story.
    You wander around what is intended to be a humorously narrated but bland world with occasional decision points which at best result in .. more wandering around with no payoff.
    Warning: it's not a game. It's not even a story.
    No game mechanic, no skill, no test, no interest and ultimately no satisfaction. I was ultimately left feeling cheated out of a game as I waited for something which never happened.
    Very disappointed.
  66. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good, interesting, intelligent and intriguing game, It's very different than many action-oriented games, but that doesn't mean it's boring, quite the opposite, it's very different and that is good.
  67. Sep 3, 2014
    Idea is original, game is interesting, but paying 15 bucks for a "1 Hour to Complete" game is bad. Moreover, that 1 hour was actually boring. Most of that 1 hour passes by listening the narrator. Even 5 $ seems a lot for this game.
  68. Aug 31, 2014
    I'm not sure why this game ever got such good reviews really. It's mostly a passive experience, listening to some guy droning on and on forever as you just walk about. It has very simplistic graphics, built on the old Half Life source engine. It's been cut down though, so you can't jump, open doors, or do anything much, apart from interact with about 1 item in every 10 rooms. I was boredI'm not sure why this game ever got such good reviews really. It's mostly a passive experience, listening to some guy droning on and on forever as you just walk about. It has very simplistic graphics, built on the old Half Life source engine. It's been cut down though, so you can't jump, open doors, or do anything much, apart from interact with about 1 item in every 10 rooms. I was bored of wandering around the same office after about 20 minutes - there's really only a handful of rooms, and most are totally non-interactive. I don't think the author should be encouraged to make anything else like this, it's just terrible.

I don't recommend it to anyone, unless they have trouble sleeping, and want to nod off with this droning in their ears!
  69. Aug 22, 2014
    Not a terrible game, just quite frankly... boring. If you want a game that gives you a good feeling each time you accomplish a task, defeat a difficult enemy, or solve a challenging puzzle, look elsewhere. This is more of an interactive comedy movie, albeit a comedy movie where the the comedy is thin and where the movie has no plot.

The entertainment value of the game relies solely on

The entertainment value of the game relies solely on its ability to generate humour through a cheery-voiced Brit making observations about Stanley's directions and though I had a few chuckles at the beginning, it got tedious fairly quickly. In fact, I imagine the people who were mostly amused were the developer's themselves.

The overriding feeling of pointlessness becomes evident the moment you realise there's no actual story; just a series of introductions and endings. If the humour was clever and witty, I could appreciate it. More often though, I'm sitting waiting for the narrator to hurry up and finish his next rant or remark so we can move on, despite knowing full well the game isn't go to go anywhere.

In the end, I came to realise that the game had never really left where it started, only it's the player sitting there pushing the buttons as the computer spits out orders. It's just a pity I coudn't find the 'refund' button anywhere..
  70. Jul 22, 2014
    A very entertaining and funny indie game. I can't really say much about it without spoiling it for those who haven't played it yet. If you are curious pick it up and experience it yourself, i highly recommend it.
  71. Jul 22, 2014
    A walking simulator to the core, this game utterly lacks ANY player interaction whatsoever, being an on-rails experience where you just move from point A to point B as soon as the game's narrator allows you to after a random rant. The scenery is incredibly bland and really shows the game's roots as a mod. While it's an interesting experience for the way it mocks videogames as a medium,A walking simulator to the core, this game utterly lacks ANY player interaction whatsoever, being an on-rails experience where you just move from point A to point B as soon as the game's narrator allows you to after a random rant. The scenery is incredibly bland and really shows the game's roots as a mod. While it's an interesting experience for the way it mocks videogames as a medium, it's not something that deserved the money i spent on it. Its theme is not even original, having been tackled years prior by MGS2. Expand
  72. Jul 17, 2014
    I'm giving this a 10 because it's one of the games that makes me happy to be a PC gamer. Because it's built so powerfully around humour, your experience may vary considerably from mine. It's not like Portal 2, where if Wheatley and GlaDOS's script left you cold (you monster) then at least you had the excellent puzzle action. This game is for anyone who loved Portal 2's writing, for fans ofI'm giving this a 10 because it's one of the games that makes me happy to be a PC gamer. Because it's built so powerfully around humour, your experience may vary considerably from mine. It's not like Portal 2, where if Wheatley and GlaDOS's script left you cold (you monster) then at least you had the excellent puzzle action. This game is for anyone who loved Portal 2's writing, for fans of Douglas Adams, for fans of British TV comedy. It's going to occupy you for a limited amount of time - maybe 3 hours or so, possibly more if you go through the Wikia to find all the secrets - so you'll have to decide if you think that's worth it. I and many thousands of others did, and we regret nothing. Expand
  73. Jun 29, 2014
    I bought this game on a sale and I thank god for that, for if I didn't, I would feel ripped off badly.
    Some people call "Artsy Games" games that have little to no gameplay and focuses on story alone. The Stanley Parable doesn't have a gameplay nor a story. So what is it? Just a walking simulation about breaking the 4th wall. It's not a game, it's basically a lecture.
    I played for about 1
    I played for about 1 hour and I had laughs here and there but that's it. There's no nothing more to the game, which boggles my mind seeing so much good reviews, I don't even know if I played the same game as those.
    And don't get me wrong, I love "Artsy games", like To The Moon, but I wouldn't call The Stanley Parable "Art" whatsoever.
  74. Jun 28, 2014
    When I first read about all these reviews, I was pretty excited to try the game out. I was hyped for the so-called message that this game was said to give out and "inspire you to think". Not to mention how a lot of people were saying that the humor is great, some stating that it is on par with Portal 1 and 2.

The game felt really interesting during it's first hour, but it really didn't

The game felt really interesting during it's first hour, but it really didn't spark that much thought in me. The game that makes you "think about life" and "philosophy of video games" didn't spark anything inside my mind. Maybe I'm just not that philosophical or I missed something. After the first hour, it started to feel like the game is just repeating it's message and it starts to get rather annoying, even with it's different outcomes. In the end, I was just trying to look at all the nooks and crannies, and I hoped I would get some mindblowingly thought-provoking ending (if there even is an end), but I was hugely disappointed not to find one.

The voice acting and narration is good, but the humor? There were a few moments which gave me a chuckle or two, but I just didn't find it nearly as funny as Portal games.

Overall, you shouldn't play this game for it's gameplay. You should check out some of the trailers and see if you find the games humor and message to your liking, then by all means buy it. I honestly think the game is tad overrated, but it isn't bad at all.
  75. Jun 26, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a very strange but very interesting game. It is very short - about 2-3 hours in terms of total content - but the game can be "beaten" within ten minutes. The important thing to recognize is that "beating" the game isn't the point - the game has north of a dozen endings, and rather than diverging only at the end, the entire GAME changes between them.

The thing to

The thing to recognize about this game is that it is a humor-based game which is also a meta-commentary on other video games, choice in video games (or the illusion thereof), and many other things. Ironically, it has more actual choice than almost any other video game has.

Explaining why the game is great pretty much is a huge spoiler for the game; if you watch the trailers for the game and think they're intriguing, then you're going to enjoy the game. If you don't think the trailers are interesting, then the game will annoy you. And because the trailers are legitimately entertaining in their own right, you aren't wasting your time by watching them.

A word of warning though - the game IS quite short. It has about 2-3 hours worth of content, which is right for what the game is, but you should be aware of that when you buy it. While it is a high quality piece of entertainment, I would say that most people will sit down and go through all the content in a single evening and then likely never touch the game again. So, be aware of that when you buy it, and consider its price accordingly. Still, it is a great game for what it is, though goodness knows what one really calls a game like this - there aren't really any other games which are quite like it.
  76. Jun 25, 2014
    Bought game on sale for ~$8. Thought I was getting a bargain. Was expecting hours of gameplay, dozens of endings and a well thought out ending to tie the game together.....if you have similar expectations, I want to warn you in advance.
    The game can be played through most endings (without being too pedantic) in an hour or so. There are no puzzles to solve here. The game is very linear in that there aren't really that many endings and 99% of objects aren't interactable.
    Only time I smiled was when I wondered if it was possible to fall onto something and found out I could, and the narrator reacted to my action. But that one moment was pretty much the only good moment in the game. I thought the game would be clever and make me think. I think what the game tries to do is criticise the linearity of certain games. But I am a GTA / Just Cause fan, where the worlds are 100x more open world than the Stanley Parable, so from my point of view it didnt really make me think.
    This game is marketed as a mystery. What is the Stanley Parable you might ask? It is a mystery people are buying into..thats pretty much it
  77. Jun 18, 2014
    Aw man. Don't read about it, don't do anything more. The less you know, the better! I'll just say this: keep an open mind, and enjoy what might be on of the most important games in terms of storytelling!
  78. Jun 9, 2014
    I was a bit disappointed for one reason ; The length of the game. I bought this game 15$ on steam and finished all the endings in 2 hours. If you can get it on sale for 3$ than it worth it!

On the other hand, it is a totally original game that makes you a part of an unfinished story! You work out with the narrator to find your way to the end! I hope there will be some DLC's to extend the playtime because this game could be gold!
  79. Jun 1, 2014
    This game is very mental. Whatever you do, like walking, choices, do what the narrator calls or do, everything was well thought out to confuse the player.
  80. May 29, 2014
    You guys think that you are really intelligent or happy? Oh, really? Okay then, play this game and after we gonna talk.
    This isn't a game at all. Because games allowed us to play the game. But now, things changed my friends. This is something new. This is a philosophy, this is a psychology, this is a funny joke, this is our job... Actually this is our life. This is one of the best thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life.
    So my advice; don't play this game if you don't love to talk with your friends meaninglessly about 2 hours.
  81. May 20, 2014
    Clearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven'tClearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven't bought a Computer game in a couple of years and after this I doubt if I will again for a long time. Don't get sucked in by the demo either. You feel like the demo is leading you somewhere! Challenging you to solve some subtle and challenging puzzle but there is nothing; And you feel drawn in, you need to get the full game to go on to solve the mystery but the game ends in nothing too! That's what this game is nothing. Dull and boring beyond belief. Zero out of 10 Don't buy it! Expand
  82. May 17, 2014
    You probably already roughly know what the Stanley Parable is about. You play a character called Stanley and a narrator more or less says what Stanley will do next, what he feels, thinks, etc. You sometimes have the choice to follow that or do something entirely different altogether...and as a very, very faint spoiler, the whole thing loops.

The fun mostly comes from exploring the tree

The fun mostly comes from exploring the tree of choices, playing around with the absurd situation and listening to the excellent narration.
    Now, all games with choice trees have the problem that you have to consult a chart at some point to make sure you haven't missed anything. And while exploring that tree is fun, it isn't particularly large. You can be done with the game before the three hour mark.
    Also, while there is a certain ending that is supposed to be the end (you also get an achievement for it), it feels extremely bleak, unrewarding. Not cathartic so to say.

In the end the biggest problem with The Stanley Parable is the surprising lack of content. What is there is absolutely great, but it doesn't feel enough.
  83. May 2, 2014
    I bought this game on sale (3$). I'm very glad to have tried it. It's not much fun but it makes you thinking about what a video game is. I can describe it with just a word: mind-blowing.
  84. May 1, 2014
    If there ever was a game that deserved LESS to be said about it, this is it. You really need to dive in head first and try it. Completely original and entertaining. Especially if you've ever worked in an office.
  85. Apr 20, 2014
    To sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quiteTo sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quite interesting to find out for yourself... but with all these good things, there is a downside... It's repetitive. And I don't think you'll be playing this for more than 2 hours. 6/10 Expand
  86. Apr 16, 2014
    First of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively becauseFirst of all this is not a game, so I shouldn't even be trying to review it in this section. What is it? It's a kind of a pedantic, arrogant, self-inflated bag of air done by would-be artists. It's provokes the same revulsion in my stomach that modern art which consists in a stroke of black paint on white canvas. It shouldn't be sold. As a free product I would review it negatively because I know that ignorant hipsters love to highlight the marvelous qualities that this vacuum does not contain. But, as it does not contain anything (quite the same as the modern art painting) you can put there whatever a tortuous mind of a pseudo-intellectual wants to. Expand
  87. Apr 14, 2014
    i was expecting for more endings... but anyways, i had to try all 18 and it was soo much fun!! just try, keep on trying til you know you completed all of the endings. an original game which guarantee you some fun! 9/10 :)
  88. Apr 13, 2014
    A unique game that every intelligent gamer should play.
    Unique and intelligent humour in every turn, voice acting so good I doubt an another game even comes close to the emotional undertones of the narrator.
  89. Apr 7, 2014
    A witty and self-referential game about games. What impresses me the most is that each time I return to this game I have encountered something new and found myself ginning and laughing both at the game and myself.
    For those who have grown up gaming, this is a must-have title that should afford some light relief around a form of entertainment that is often taken all-too seriously.
  90. Apr 3, 2014
    Stanley Parable was a mod to Garry´s Mod, the mod was getting so popular, that it got its own game. And it was worth the money. Stanley Parable is not a normal game like another First Person game, it has its own shelf, its own category, the best way to say it short, its a fantastic special game. The game has really many different endings, and feels like, you´re in a commentary, or even aStanley Parable was a mod to Garry´s Mod, the mod was getting so popular, that it got its own game. And it was worth the money. Stanley Parable is not a normal game like another First Person game, it has its own shelf, its own category, the best way to say it short, its a fantastic special game. The game has really many different endings, and feels like, you´re in a commentary, or even a book written on the choices you choose. The game is not the best graphics game that you´re gonna see, but its really easy to run, and you´re not gonna think about the graphics, but about the story you´re making. The game isn´t an action game, its a relaxing game, you can sit when you´re bored. You can´t really tell anything about the story, or the game itself, without its a spoiler. The game has a really, really good telling, even when im played the game, and i made sometimes the sad endings or something, i felt like, i was touched.
    Final word: Buy the game if you like relaxing Indie Games, and you love where you interact to the choices, and even make your own story.
  91. Apr 2, 2014
    I've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most excitingI've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most exciting "game". Nor is there any notion of GAMEPLAY. However, this piece of art illustrates the problem of having no gameplay altogether. It's weird and wonderful. It's repetitive yet different every time. It's easy to understand yet infinitely complex. The game can be interpretted in so many ways, and there is so much to discover behind its seemingly shallow exterior, I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for something that will entertain you in ways you couldn't have imagined. What is perhaps most commendable about The Stanley Parable isn't the whole "game within a game within a game" concept, but its presentation. The slick narration combined with sharp graphics and incredible attention to detail as well as a whole host of secrets, twists, pathways and endings to discover make it feel longer than it actually is. You might get bored of it after a few hours, but those first few crucial moments are something that can't be experienced anywhere else. It's a rich experience but one that isn't so muddled that it's difficult to make progress. Exploration of what seems to be an extremely linear game is very rewarding because the narrator speaks to you personally. The comedy value as well as the unique concept make The Stanley Parable a stand-out piece of entertainment that can't be expressed through any other medium. Expand
  92. Apr 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. is the game worth it's $15 price tag?
    i can't make that judgement, buy it and see if the game provides a $15 experience.
    or wait until the steam summer sales come along and see if you cant get it at a discount price.
  93. Mar 30, 2014
    This is not a game it is an experience you control stanley thats the only thing i'm going to say of story there are so many secrets and endings and the demo it has a own story just play it and experience it for yourself
  94. Mar 30, 2014
    This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really.This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really. I still have to say that this game surely has many small great details. E.g. the whole Power Point slides sequence in the meeting room is just amazing. And the whiteboards. And the rooms where they tell which pieces of the game looked how before the release. But certainly this game isn't worth its price or any price at all, or maybe something like $1. Since it isn't a game at all, it shouldn't have been created or sold as a game - instead it could be a cartoon or maybe a movie.
    I still give it a rather high score (4) and not 1 or 0 because it does give some fun, even if it's not a lasting one. This product still offers a bit of gameplay - and strangely this kind of gameplay reminds me a typical RPG where you would explore every branch of dialogs with NPCs. Here you explore corridors and doors instead.
    The closest game to this one that comes to mind is Antichamber. However, Antichamber is way way better, there you have diverse puzzles, each with an unexpected solution. Here it's just talking and talking, like in a book/radio/TV show. This game doesn't really feel as if it were made for players and to entertain players but instead to entertain the developers - much like 2010's "Rubber" movie was fun to the director but boring to the audience.
    This app certainly is a fresh innovative attempt, but it's not really a successful attempt. Frankly, I'm not sure that the whole idea for such a game could have resulted into anything playable. Strange that they actually decided to spend effort into developing this stuff.
  95. Mar 30, 2014
    It´s hard to say something about this awesome game, not spoilering something.

But when a game completely convinces you without having graphics like Skyrim or action as in CoD/Battlefield or whatever, there is something making it really special. I can´t really tell what this is, but Stanley Parable has it :D
  96. Mar 26, 2014
    It is a very good and well thought through game.
    However, it does lack a bit in content, which gets very noticeable after playing it for about 20h.
    In total, it is very amusing.
  97. Mar 25, 2014
    Real nice game,have to say most unique game i have played to date,its mysterious,hilarious and totally worth the time,only thing i would have liked though was if there were more levels
  98. Mar 25, 2014
    "Stanley Parable isn't a game for everyone. A lot of people missed the aim of the game...it is inadvertently funny, crazy and confusing...It is short...that the proposition of this game. If you expect something different...don't buy it. For those who likes mindless killing everything that moves, this is not the game...but if you're looking for an unique experience, this is the game for"Stanley Parable isn't a game for everyone. A lot of people missed the aim of the game...it is inadvertently funny, crazy and confusing...It is short...that the proposition of this game. If you expect something different...don't buy it. For those who likes mindless killing everything that moves, this is not the game...but if you're looking for an unique experience, this is the game for you."

This review hit EXACTLY, what this game is supposed to be.
  99. Mar 23, 2014
    Original crap is still the crap. No game world, no game-play, no story, nothing... The whole application is not a game but a lie, and it does even try to hide it.
    Unfortunately (for our civilization) most people are willing to be deceived...
  100. Mar 22, 2014
    I just created an account because I think this game....game?...not sure it is the right definition ...it is more an April fool than a game. Forget all the positives reviews here. Young people think they discovered the true by trying to play this but in fact it is just what most of us already know and don't want to ear again and think again. Get the cash, do your best and pay your bill. WeI just created an account because I think this game....game?...not sure it is the right definition ...it is more an April fool than a game. Forget all the positives reviews here. Young people think they discovered the true by trying to play this but in fact it is just what most of us already know and don't want to ear again and think again. Get the cash, do your best and pay your bill. We bought games to relax and forget about the job not to remain us how our life can suck or how to see the life in a way that is total negativity. It is a good way to become tired of everything and start to forget how life can be great Just compare us to the rest of the planet. People are so whimsical and selfish ..please don't feed the moron's brain with that kind of stuff. LoL
    In short ... Download the demo.. play it.. If you can't catch the joke you not gonna like the game and even if you catch it and find it funny you're not gonna have a game if you buy the full release just the repetition of what you have found in the demo. Don't worth a penny to me since you gonna waste your precious time and money at thinking how your life can suck without doing anything constructive. It is a game killer. If you want to stop playing games ..good for you
  101. Oct 18, 2013
    It's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up soIt's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up so that's why I know that I missed two easter eggs. Overall the narrator was great. the gameplay nonexistent, but the experience humorous and interesting. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind shorter experiences with no replay value. Once you have seen all the paths and endings there is no reason to ever play again as you discovered everything there is and then it just repeats itself. Good game, but nowhere near 'OMG best game eva, GOTY 2013!' as many silly fan boys make it out to be. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]