8.8

1. May 31, 2013
    Thank you so much for such a masterpiece! The swapper is a game for your ears, your eyes, oh and even for your brain too. If you´re going to play The Swapper, you really have to turn off the lights and put on your Headphones now you´re ready to dip into one of the most atmospheric Games in this Genre!
  2. May 30, 2013
    This is a very good puzzle platform game with a fun little manic. It is stunning, it doesn't drown you with music and puts it where its needed. It is a bit creepy not scary but otherwise its very good!
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    There have been some amazing games over the past few months with indie titles making the cream. This 'The Swapper' is one of those such titles. It overloads the atmosphere and at the same time is a calming experience. The puzzles are entertaining, graphics excellent, controls simple, music (the best feature) is simply stunning. Well worth buying and grab it on Steam now as it's 25% off!!! As someone else said, turn off the lights and play with headphones to really appreciate this gem. Expand
  4. May 31, 2013
    Such an amazing game, the developers did a fantastic job at creating an immersive and atmospheric world, with rich gameplay mechanics & puzzles that challenge you to think. I hope you produce more amazing games like this one.
  5. Jun 9, 2013
    Could this game have been any better? I doubt it.
    Well written, great gfx and sounds, good rythm, everything fits nicely together.
    The mechanics are fresh and even though some riddles make you think a while and try out a few things, they are all fair and can be logically solved.
    Great job, one of this years highlights!
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    I don't understand why this game has such a ridiculously high review. It's a mildly entertaining puzzle game, different than, but not as fun as Portal in my opinion. Not worth ten dollars.

A mediocre score for a mediocre game.
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    Beautiful and astonishing puzzle. Every detail contributes to the atmosphere of loneliness and cold darkness of a space station. Puzzles are not very difficult, but challenging enough to get satisfaction. The music is marvellous also. Though the narrative is not unique we understand most of the events by reading logs the plot is very interesting, with allusions to Solaris and Moon. Wish there were more games like this and hope to see more games from this studio. Expand
  8. May 31, 2013
    Brilliant combination of puzzles and high concept science fiction. It engages the same part of your brain as Portal 2 using completely different mechanics. When you do solve a puzzle, it's always a great payoff and you can't wait for the next one. The story that unfurls is compelling stuff about consciousness and self that will make you think. The Swapper is a one-game refutation to anyone who says video games are just mindless violence. My one complaint is that the title of the game doesn't do it justice. Such an elegant game deserved a more elegant title. Expand
  9. Jun 1, 2013
    This game is amazing! Since braid I've been looking for a good indie puzzle game, and this must have been the best one yet (I'm not comparing it to braid though, they're both amazing but in their own ways)! The art style is amazing and the story really sucks you in and makes you want to explore deeper and deeper into the game (Unlike other games in which the exploring gets boring and it gets to the point where you just play to finish the game). The mechanic is fairly simple and yet it gets you thinking are those clones living creatures? What happens when they die? What happens when they get left behind? All of these really add to the overall creepy, mysterious theme of the game. Expand
  10. May 31, 2013
    Awesome game. Deeply immersive with great background music. Sucks you into the narrative very early on. Great puzzle solver. Comparable and going against "Limbo" with it's indie spirit.
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    A gorgeous and cerebral game that looks to be created by mostly one guy/a few people over the span of 3.5 years! Easily worth double what I paid for it. I still can't believe the set was hand-crafted from clay. Excellent soundtrack worthy in its own right. Get this and spread the word!
  12. Jun 3, 2013
    No, it's not RTS. No, it's not turn based strategy. Yes it is of the quaint side scroller genre. Yes, it is intriguing. No, it's not a masterpiece but it sure uses some clever ideas to stir the grey matter.

It sent me to the coffee-pot many times to give my brain time to ponder how the heck was I going to do that bit?? At times it made me think I was a hamfisted mouse user until I
    realised it was a hamfisted brain that prevented me from getting through any given puzzle.

A clever piece of work.
  13. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! Fantastic atmosphere, great puzzles, imaginative graphics, good controlls feel, quaite a few iconic moments, and intriguing story although I had to look up some explanations cause not everything was clear to me). Soundtrack not too bad although nothing memorable. Great game for couple of evenings.
  14. Jun 5, 2013
    A hybrid of Moon and Space Odyssey in terms of environment mood, atmosphere, setting and story.

Excellent design of puzzles will make you feel smarter and feel the joy of discovery (and you can't find this in many games!).

It has to be noted that the game does a great job at connecting its story with gameplay and mechanics. Every individual element of the game creates one core feel
    and sense that's pushed by its philosophical storytelling. Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    While I don't think the critic reviews are fake, I strongly feel this game is over-hyped. The dark atmosphere and even darker story, do well. But the puzzle element and even the gameplay are more than just coincidentally reminiscent of Limbo. So while 'The Swapper' offers a nice puzzle gimmick, it doesn't warrant a perfect 10. Mainly because this Indie just isn't as original as we would love it to be. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the money, even at just 5 hours of gameplay. The atmosphere is great and the puzzles are interesting and diverse. They could have chosen to drag it out to 10 hours, but it would probably grow stale without more mechanics, so I approve of the decision to keep it short and fun.
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    Great game, original, nice design and music. The puzzles can be quite tough but still very satisfying when finally solved. Gave me a similar feeling than with Portal somehow... Only criticism would be that it's a bit short, finished in a few hours. But still, don't regret buying it, it's worth it.
  18. Jul 19, 2013
    A very good 2D puzzle game. Like Portal series, it uses a special device. In this case it generates up to four copies of yourself and swaps each other of the original and the copies. It has a creepy atmosphere like Portal series. The puzzle is very intriguing and keeps you playing to the end. As the background of the game, there are some science fiction-like motives about meanings of 'mind and body' and the morality of usage of such devices, which is interesting on its own. Overall I found it to be something like a 2D version of Portal 2 (which is a 3D game). I finished the game in about 10hrs. Therefore it is a bit short. But highly recommended for puzzle game lovers. Expand
  19. Aug 26, 2013
    This is a fun puzzle game with both interesting mechanics and an interesting story. The visuals and sound combine to to create an atmospheric experience. High production values. Good puzzles that are fair. My playing time on it was about 7 hours playing leisurely, and I got stuck on a couple puzzles that took me a while to figure out. The story while interesting is not really all that in my opinion. The story makes an interesting backdrop for working your way through the puzzles and uncovering what's happening on the space station, but it's still a puzzle game at it's core. I thought the ending was a bit flat, but many have found it thought provoking. Still, 8 is a good score for a good game. The production qualities and mechanics elevate this above most other puzzle-type games I've played. Expand
  20. Nov 3, 2013
    If you liked Braid or Limbo, you'll like this game also, and should get it for that reason alone, it is of the same high quality. It has the engine/art ambience novelty value that makes it fun to play, and quite addictive once you start. Puzzles are easy bar about 3, which jump vastly in difficulty. It is short enough, and may have no replay value also, so keep to the $10 or less price range. It gets an 8 because though the sound is great, the music is almost indiscernible. And whilst I like obtuse story lines, I'm not sure this one needed it. For me, it would have worked better as a more realistic escape+rescue storyline, with each room to rescue a survivor. But those minor quibbles aside, recommended still. Expand
  21. Oct 20, 2013
    This is a puzzle game unlike any other. The clay animations are really well done and the whole concept of creating clones to solve puzzles, is a really neat idea. Add in the ability to swap between these clones and things become very interesting.

You'll get about 4-5 hours out of this game depending on how good you are with the puzzles. They are varied and challenging in the later
    stages as you become more comfortable with the gameplay.

The atmosphere is really moody, with a full spectrum of white light to pitch darkness. They really do a good job to make you feel like you're in space and completely isolated.

The Swapper is a genre defining leap for puzzle platformers. The developers have shown originality and passion, which are the first two things I look for in any game.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    I really can't explain why, but this is one of my all time favorite games and for me it beats every AAA high budget modern video game experience. Perhaps a combination of it having a fun original mechanic, incredibly detailed claymation art style, incredibly thought provoking story, haunting yet beautiful music, metroid esque side scrolling, and many other plusses just seemlessly fit together so well in this case. Can't recomend it enough. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    The swapper is a very good 2-d puzzle platform game. It has art created from photographs of clay sculptures, so it has a claymation look to it. The puzzles revolve around making clones of yourself and swapping yourself with them. The puzzles start easy and get harder and harder. There is a science fiction story that develops as you progress in the game. The story was ok, kind of inspired by "2001" although a bit hokey at times. Some of the story is relayed to you by a narrator who is talking to you over a noisy radio. This means that it can be hard to understand the narrator, so in retrospect it would have been better to turn the subtitles on so I could understand the narrator. I am not a great puzzle-solver, so it took me a long time to solve some of the puzzles, and one puzzle I had to read a walkthrough to solve. My overall playing time was 11 hours, which includes at least two hours spent stuck on a few puzzles. This is decent playing time for an indie title and a very good deal for what I paid for. I would say this game is excellent but falls a little short of my all-time favorite puzzle-platfrom game Vessel. Some of the puzzle solving involved a lot of trial and error in addition to pure deduction. It took me a while to figure out that the right button does not stop the game, it just slows it down a lot. All it all I can strongly recommend this game. Expand
  24. May 31, 2013
    Really good indie title that has some fantastic atmosphere. I love how the animations were done with clay, very unique. The story is interesting and you want to learn more about 'the watchers.'

In practice the game is a puzzle game. For a good chunk of it I was happy with the challenges other than a handful of puzzles i'm still trying to figure out how they are possible with the
    mechanics...

All in all I still likely have a few hours left with it (after 6 hours played) and it's one of my top 5 or 6 indie games of all time already.
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    So, The Swapper. Simple looking little thing at a reasonable price. I found this game well worth its price very early in, and held the feeling all the way through.
    I highly recommend this investment into some fun braingymnastics
  26. Jul 3, 2013
    I was initially attracted to this game because of the art style. I absolutely love a game that can stand out from the rest in terms of aesthetics, and The Swapper definitely is a beautiful game. Aside from the visual uniqueness, the ambiance is there as well... the music, the setting, the pacing.

The entire game took me about 8 hours to complete, taking my time to listen to all of the
    audio, read all of the "logs", and explore every nook & cranny of the game. When everything finally drew to a finish, the game still left me thinking back to the early parts of the game and how it all tied together with the ending. In many other 2D platformers, stories seem to be tacked on, but I can confidently say that the story in The Swapper is intriguing, creative, and masterfully takes center stage.

Since The Swapper is considered a puzzle platformer, the puzzles in this game certainly don't disappoint. They were ingeniously designed, and nowhere in the game do you feel like your hand is being held. The game cleverly eases you into the "Swapper mindset" at the start, and progressively gets more difficult as the story advances. It never feels like you're doing the same puzzles over and over, nor are any of the puzzles bang-your-head-against-the-desk-difficult.

Conclusion: I truly believe that this game is a wonderful balance of story, gameplay, and art. In the same way that the later puzzles in the game make you rub your chin, the story in The Swapper is also a "puzzle" in and of itself, to be pondered long after the credits have rolled. One criticism is that the price is a tad too expensive. All in all, a wonderful experience.
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    A miracle of game...

Not a puzzle game, or a pure adventure one... simply the best game of 2013, impeccable and fascinating story, innovative puzzles, moral choices (and the way is only one...)!

Skyrim is a great game, this is simply part of gaming history...
  28. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely AMAZING!! Puzzles are challenging and rewarding, but not impossible. The music was awesome, the atmosphere was seriously incredible. This is a MUST HAVE for every Steam collection.
  29. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think the biggest problem with the Swapper is not what it is, but what it COULD have been. As many others have said, its beautifully atmospheric, hauntingly lonely, and satisfyingly challenging both in terms of its puzzles and narrative. But the problem i have with it is that, in terms of its narrative and puzzles, they seem to be kept in separate rooms (metaphorically).

Its clear that the puzzles weren't designed with the narrative in mind, as they each have there own room with little to no story explanation of why they exist in the first place. (I have read all of the logs in game, and only one even hinted towards them at all.)
    This lack of connection is noticeable, but not so obvious it intrudes the game. Unfortunately, later in the game, the support characters are persuading you to hurry up with getting all the orbs you need to proceed, seemingly ignorant or completely oblivious that you need to solve puzzles to obtain them, making this disconnect even more apparent. This spoiled the narrative for me somewhat, and it really hurts the game as a whole.

Don't let this review stop you from buying this game, it is excellent. But I at least understand it isn't flawless and I am ready and willing to admit that despite how much I truly love this game.
  30. Jun 20, 2013
    honestly..i donno why some reviewers give it 7 or 8..?!?!?
    its New Fresh game..New Idea ..game is Creepy..really creepy with
    most Difficult Puzzles ever..this game should never get less then 9..
    ppl comparing it with Portal and bla bla..its totally different

every hardcore players should grab this..its the Best 2D puzzle game ever

A puzzle platformer that won't frustrate nor bore you. The puzzles complete a solid story, which is unique even for an indie game. [Issue#234]
  2. Oct 7, 2013
    The Swapper is a first-rate puzzle platformer that boasts a gorgeous atmosphere as well. The story doesn't quite live up to its potential, though, but it's not a major issue. [Aug 2013]
  3. Sep 30, 2013
    Puzzle platformers have discovered a new direction. Swapper philosophizes, pines over, drools, but the main thing is hidden in its gameplay. Swapper is able to clone people. And that is fun.