8.7

1. May 31, 2013
    Thank you so much for such a masterpiece! The swapper is a game for your ears, your eyes, oh and even for your brain too. If you´re going to play The Swapper, you really have to turn off the lights and put on your Headphones now you´re ready to dip into one of the most atmospheric Games in this Genre!
  2. May 30, 2013
    This is a very good puzzle platform game with a fun little manic. It is stunning, it doesn't drown you with music and puts it where its needed. It is a bit creepy not scary but otherwise its very good!
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    A gorgeous and cerebral game that looks to be created by mostly one guy/a few people over the span of 3.5 years! Easily worth double what I paid for it. I still can't believe the set was hand-crafted from clay. Excellent soundtrack worthy in its own right. Get this and spread the word!
  4. Jun 5, 2013
    A hybrid of Moon and Space Odyssey in terms of environment mood, atmosphere, setting and story.

Excellent design of puzzles will make you feel smarter and feel the joy of discovery (and you can't find this in many games!). It has to be noted that the game does a great job at connecting its story with gameplay and mechanics. Every individual element of the game creates one core feel

It has to be noted that the game does a great job at connecting its story with gameplay and mechanics. Every individual element of the game creates one core feel and sense that's pushed by its philosophical storytelling.
  5. Nov 16, 2013
    Great game! Fantastic atmosphere, great puzzles, imaginative graphics, good controlls feel, quaite a few iconic moments, and intriguing story although I had to look up some explanations cause not everything was clear to me). Soundtrack not too bad although nothing memorable. Great game for couple of evenings.
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    So, The Swapper. Simple looking little thing at a reasonable price. I found this game well worth its price very early in, and held the feeling all the way through.
    I highly recommend this investment into some fun braingymnastics
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    I was initially attracted to this game because of the art style. I absolutely love a game that can stand out from the rest in terms of aesthetics, and The Swapper definitely is a beautiful game. Aside from the visual uniqueness, the ambiance is there as well... the music, the setting, the pacing.

The entire game took me about 8 hours to complete, taking my time to listen to all of the audio, read all of the "logs", and explore every nook & cranny of the game. When everything finally drew to a finish, the game still left me thinking back to the early parts of the game and how it all tied together with the ending. In many other 2D platformers, stories seem to be tacked on, but I can confidently say that the story in The Swapper is intriguing, creative, and masterfully takes center stage.

Since The Swapper is considered a puzzle platformer, the puzzles in this game certainly don't disappoint. They were ingeniously designed, and nowhere in the game do you feel like your hand is being held. The game cleverly eases you into the "Swapper mindset" at the start, and progressively gets more difficult as the story advances. It never feels like you're doing the same puzzles over and over, nor are any of the puzzles bang-your-head-against-the-desk-difficult.

Conclusion: I truly believe that this game is a wonderful balance of story, gameplay, and art. In the same way that the later puzzles in the game make you rub your chin, the story in The Swapper is also a "puzzle" in and of itself, to be pondered long after the credits have rolled. One criticism is that the price is a tad too expensive. All in all, a wonderful experience.
  8. Jul 19, 2013
    A very good 2D puzzle game. Like Portal series, it uses a special device. In this case it generates up to four copies of yourself and swaps each other of the original and the copies. It has a creepy atmosphere like Portal series. The puzzle is very intriguing and keeps you playing to the end. As the background of the game, there are some science fiction-like motives about meanings of 'mindA very good 2D puzzle game. Like Portal series, it uses a special device. In this case it generates up to four copies of yourself and swaps each other of the original and the copies. It has a creepy atmosphere like Portal series. The puzzle is very intriguing and keeps you playing to the end. As the background of the game, there are some science fiction-like motives about meanings of 'mind and body' and the morality of usage of such devices, which is interesting on its own. Overall I found it to be something like a 2D version of Portal 2 (which is a 3D game). I finished the game in about 10hrs. Therefore it is a bit short. But highly recommended for puzzle game lovers. Expand
  9. Aug 22, 2013
    I really can't explain why, but this is one of my all time favorite games and for me it beats every AAA high budget modern video game experience. Perhaps a combination of it having a fun original mechanic, incredibly detailed claymation art style, incredibly thought provoking story, haunting yet beautiful music, metroid esque side scrolling, and many other plusses just seemlessly fitI really can't explain why, but this is one of my all time favorite games and for me it beats every AAA high budget modern video game experience. Perhaps a combination of it having a fun original mechanic, incredibly detailed claymation art style, incredibly thought provoking story, haunting yet beautiful music, metroid esque side scrolling, and many other plusses just seemlessly fit together so well in this case. Can't recomend it enough. Expand
  10. Aug 26, 2013
    This is a fun puzzle game with both interesting mechanics and an interesting story. The visuals and sound combine to to create an atmospheric experience. High production values. Good puzzles that are fair. My playing time on it was about 7 hours playing leisurely, and I got stuck on a couple puzzles that took me a while to figure out. The story while interesting is not really all thatThis is a fun puzzle game with both interesting mechanics and an interesting story. The visuals and sound combine to to create an atmospheric experience. High production values. Good puzzles that are fair. My playing time on it was about 7 hours playing leisurely, and I got stuck on a couple puzzles that took me a while to figure out. The story while interesting is not really all that in my opinion. The story makes an interesting backdrop for working your way through the puzzles and uncovering what's happening on the space station, but it's still a puzzle game at it's core. I thought the ending was a bit flat, but many have found it thought provoking. Still, 8 is a good score for a good game. The production qualities and mechanics elevate this above most other puzzle-type games I've played. Expand
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    This is a puzzle game unlike any other. The clay animations are really well done and the whole concept of creating clones to solve puzzles, is a really neat idea. Add in the ability to swap between these clones and things become very interesting.

You'll get about 4-5 hours out of this game depending on how good you are with the puzzles. They are varied and challenging in the later stages as you become more comfortable with the gameplay.

The atmosphere is really moody, with a full spectrum of white light to pitch darkness. They really do a good job to make you feel like you're in space and completely isolated.

The Swapper is a genre defining leap for puzzle platformers. The developers have shown originality and passion, which are the first two things I look for in any game.
  12. Nov 3, 2013
    If you liked Braid or Limbo, you'll like this game also, and should get it for that reason alone, it is of the same high quality. It has the engine/art ambience novelty value that makes it fun to play, and quite addictive once you start. Puzzles are easy bar about 3, which jump vastly in difficulty. It is short enough, and may have no replay value also, so keep to the $10 or less priceIf you liked Braid or Limbo, you'll like this game also, and should get it for that reason alone, it is of the same high quality. It has the engine/art ambience novelty value that makes it fun to play, and quite addictive once you start. Puzzles are easy bar about 3, which jump vastly in difficulty. It is short enough, and may have no replay value also, so keep to the $10 or less price range. It gets an 8 because though the sound is great, the music is almost indiscernible. And whilst I like obtuse story lines, I'm not sure this one needed it. For me, it would have worked better as a more realistic escape+rescue storyline, with each room to rescue a survivor. But those minor quibbles aside, recommended still. Expand
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the money, even at just 5 hours of gameplay. The atmosphere is great and the puzzles are interesting and diverse. They could have chosen to drag it out to 10 hours, but it would probably grow stale without more mechanics, so I approve of the decision to keep it short and fun.
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely AMAZING!! Puzzles are challenging and rewarding, but not impossible. The music was awesome, the atmosphere was seriously incredible. This is a MUST HAVE for every Steam collection.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    The swapper is a very good 2-d puzzle platform game. It has art created from photographs of clay sculptures, so it has a claymation look to it. The puzzles revolve around making clones of yourself and swapping yourself with them. The puzzles start easy and get harder and harder. There is a science fiction story that develops as you progress in the game. The story was ok, kind of inspiredThe swapper is a very good 2-d puzzle platform game. It has art created from photographs of clay sculptures, so it has a claymation look to it. The puzzles revolve around making clones of yourself and swapping yourself with them. The puzzles start easy and get harder and harder. There is a science fiction story that develops as you progress in the game. The story was ok, kind of inspired by "2001" although a bit hokey at times. Some of the story is relayed to you by a narrator who is talking to you over a noisy radio. This means that it can be hard to understand the narrator, so in retrospect it would have been better to turn the subtitles on so I could understand the narrator. I am not a great puzzle-solver, so it took me a long time to solve some of the puzzles, and one puzzle I had to read a walkthrough to solve. My overall playing time was 11 hours, which includes at least two hours spent stuck on a few puzzles. This is decent playing time for an indie title and a very good deal for what I paid for. I would say this game is excellent but falls a little short of my all-time favorite puzzle-platfrom game Vessel. Some of the puzzle solving involved a lot of trial and error in addition to pure deduction. It took me a while to figure out that the right button does not stop the game, it just slows it down a lot. All it all I can strongly recommend this game. Expand
  16. Jun 3, 2013
    This game is amazingly beautiful with a well told science fiction story. The mechanics of the game are very simple and yet the puzzles can be complex and thought provoking. I suggest this game to anyone who enjoys a quick play through with dark undertones of the dark reaches of space.
  17. Jun 8, 2013
    Swappedy swap! Fun game. Good bank for the buck ($11 for me). I finished it in 9 hours but I am deeply stupid and most can probably complete it in under 6. I was also way too mouth-breathingly dumb for the plot, which is an existentialist sci-fi headslapper and I couldn't quite piece together the answers.

My Petty Gripes: (1) I wish the lighting was a little bit brighter so we could see the Claymation details better. (2) I wish the voices weren't garbled at times. (3) Why is everyone in this future parallel universe British?
  18. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love games like this where have the Aha-effect when you finished a part(like portal)
    The Idea with these clones is really cool and a mechanics in the game ist not to easy even really difficult like Portal. And the game is easy t play and the design is awesome its looking like they build everything by hand
    Really great game. For Portal-Fans a must have!
  19. Jun 15, 2013
    An extremely good game for what it is. Has great atmosphere, great music and great puzzles. Unfortunately the game is somewhat short. But if you like puzzles this is a game for you.
  20. Jun 22, 2013
    What a fantastic game, every night I became excited to sit down and play this game before bed. It's short but sweet. Very well polished game. I encountered zero bugs, and I feel that is rare when I play. If you like a great atmospheric game, a unique art style from clay, puzzles that make you think out of your original scope, then this game is a must have. If you liked the movie Moon, thenWhat a fantastic game, every night I became excited to sit down and play this game before bed. It's short but sweet. Very well polished game. I encountered zero bugs, and I feel that is rare when I play. If you like a great atmospheric game, a unique art style from clay, puzzles that make you think out of your original scope, then this game is a must have. If you liked the movie Moon, then check this game out. Expand
  21. Jul 18, 2013
    I didn't care much about the story. Despite that I still find it's fun to play this game. The atmosphere feels good. A number of puzzles are well designed though some are not well ordered according to the difficulty. I don't give it a 10 because I think the play style lacks variety. There's noting more complicated or more interesting in the latter part of the game except for the reverse gravity.
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    I love this game, but in the last rooms I went almost crazy for the difficulty.
    One thing that I do not understand is that you can choose the end. Is this necessary?
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    An beautiful game that features hand drawn art, a suitably desolate atmosphere and a fascinating story. The mechanics are simple and the puzzles are interesting. Draws on experiences from some classic sci-fi movies and games.
  24. Jul 31, 2013
    An amazing atmospheric game which is clever, smooth and truly grasps the concept of feeling completely alone in an environment. The ambient soundtrack and lighting really polishes this game, a definite for those who simply love solving puzzles.
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    Having become a tad enamored with intelligent indie games in the last couple of years, it is still quite amazing when I come across one as well made, thoughtful and intelligent as The Swapper.
    The Swapper's premise is simple. You are a person that found themselves in a seemingly abandoned space station or space ship. Armed only with a cloning gun, a device that allows you to create (and swap to) up to four copies of yourself, you traverse rooms in search of orbs that open doors.
    During the increasingly difficult puzzles, you start encountering different colored light sources in the rooms, each of which has a different affect to your gun's beam. Blue will let you swap but not create a clone in it's light. Red will let you create a clone but blocks your swapping beam. And so on.
    There is a thin story in the background that carries you forward, but the juice of the game are the puzzles. And the majority of them are a delight to solve. It does get a bit too difficult towards the end, but the game lasts about five or so hours, which is a perfect length for it.
    Great graphics, atmospheric piano music and intelligent gameplay. The Swapper is an excellent puzzler that deserves a place in your games collection.
  26. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the very best and most atmospheric puzzlers I have ever played. The art style is amazing, the music is great. The difficulty of the puzzles is almost perfectly balanced with a rather easy start and a challenging end. It is inspiring to see how such a fantastic game can be created using such "simple" yet genius mechanics. I hope to see more puzzle games of this quality in the future.
  27. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is the best puzzle game since Portal 2, i like the puzzle this game offer, the story is also good but it is too simple, they need more emotion and more complex storyline.
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    Got this game because I was bored and it sounded interesting. It really is a great game for what it is, the puzzles are sometimes hard but it is balanced so it's not boringly easy or frustratingly hard. The general feel of the game is awesome and original and makes you think about...life.
  29. Oct 24, 2013
    Lovely looking game with a unique & enjoyable game mechanic (the swapping). In general, this is an excellent game which I highly recommend. However, it does have a downside in that there is a fair amount of backtracking involved at times with little to no motivation besides completing the game. This won't be a problem for others but I find the lack of any special reward for backtrackingLovely looking game with a unique & enjoyable game mechanic (the swapping). In general, this is an excellent game which I highly recommend. However, it does have a downside in that there is a fair amount of backtracking involved at times with little to no motivation besides completing the game. This won't be a problem for others but I find the lack of any special reward for backtracking (e.g. to get an upgrade of some sort or unlock some new mechanic) makes retreading areas very dull and occasionally frustrating. Expand
  30. Dec 22, 2013
    One of the most haunting, mysterious, thought provoking games in awhile. Explores the mind, body, soul, and consciousness and the meaning of existence. Very stimulating material. The atmosphere is excellent....great lighting and particle effects. The voice acting, and subtle music and sound immerse you fully into the experience. Would totally recommend for someone who enjoys philosophicalOne of the most haunting, mysterious, thought provoking games in awhile. Explores the mind, body, soul, and consciousness and the meaning of existence. Very stimulating material. The atmosphere is excellent....great lighting and particle effects. The voice acting, and subtle music and sound immerse you fully into the experience. Would totally recommend for someone who enjoys philosophical discussions and challenging puzzles! Expand

1. Aug 4, 2014
    The game is not about death or life but about the soul leaving the body and heading someplace new. It’s about the brief moment it spends flying.
    A puzzle platformer that won't frustrate nor bore you. The puzzles complete a solid story, which is unique even for an indie game. [Issue#234]
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    The Swapper is a first-rate puzzle platformer that boasts a gorgeous atmosphere as well. The story doesn't quite live up to its potential, though, but it's not a major issue. [Aug 2013]