8.3

1. Sep 27, 2012
    This is a good game with good graphics and an up-to-date kind of Sherlock Holmes, not like the ones in the older movies, but not quite as rude as the one in A Game of Shadows or the movie before it. You get to experience a new side of Holmes as well as Watson. You can literally become Sherlock Holmes, the greatest detective ever. You will not feel left out or like you got ripped of. I really think this game is worth the forty dollars that you have to pay to buy it. It is a game set in a time and place you will not forget guaranteed. No doubt. If you like Sherlock Holmes, you will LOVE this game. It is a deep game with many conflicts that puts you on the edge of your seat like a movie does. If you don't like Sherlock Holmes, or you don't know about him,give it a try and watch his movies. I just have to tell you one thing. Don't be overwhelmed at how bada** he is. You have been forewarned... Expand
  2. Jan 31, 2013
    Being somewhat a seasoned adventure gamer and having enjoyed Conan Doyle's works in my youth, I must say that I had great expectations for this game and fortunately, it met and sometimes exceeded them. Considering the numerous and most of the time awful adaptations of Sherlock Holmes out there, I must say that this is one that truly nailed the original stories character and ambiance; they got their details right. Aside from the details, something that really sets this game apart from other adventure games, is the attention given to the deduction process. In most adventure games, once you found the appropriate clues the conclusion is outright given to you while in this game, you must put these clues together and logically deduce the right conclusion. While somewhat limited, this process really gives you some sense of actually solving the case. Another good design decision is the general absence of pixel hunting: most of the relevant items will become highlighted when you pass next to them. As for the puzzles, I must say that this is one aspect of the game that truly shines: they are realistic, logical, not too easy nor too hard or tedious. It's really been a long time since I appreciated that much a game for the consistence of it's puzzles (I guess the last one I had so much fun was Braid). As for the story, it is a really enjoyable, credible Sherlock Holmes case perhaps not as subtle as the original stories but enjoyable in it's own merit. Technically, the graphics are superb are I would place The Testament of Sherlock Holmes amongst the few games that achieved a 3D adventure game without it being awkward in some way. The voice acting is flawless and the music, while being a little bland, still manages to create the right atmosphere.

As for the bad points, it is to notice that the character animations (lip sync and such) is often a little off and you have to compensate with your imagination. As for the controls, if I remember correctly, the game offers 3 different ways to control the characters but unfortunately, they all get a little tedious at some point (although, I really don't know how they could have done better than offering those 3 different ways (FPS, Third person, and point and click).

In all, if you're sick of toy games such as Botanicula (where clicking at random can lead you to finish the game in approximately 4 hours), if you appreciate the Sherlock Holmes novels/stories, and happen to enjoy puzzles, then The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is a game you'll surely like.
  3. Sep 30, 2012
    This is a amazing game. If you want a challenge try the puzzles in this game. The Testament of Sherlock Holmes have a very nice graphics and a good history, the scenarios are marvelous. If you are a Sherlock Holmes games' fan... check this game, you will enjoy every minute.
  4. Feb 18, 2013
    Good point It has brilliant puzzles, Excellent Deduction board system, Good voice act attractive character making. I feel detective's emotion. It was cool experience to me. Bad point Funny Motion ((like a Sherlock's running motion), Not comfortable controller input lack in Menu deduction board. some puzzles are very hard without no clue or too search hard.

"The Testament of
    Sherlock Holmes" is well made adventure game for Sherlockian adv game fan.

Do you want to play the detective thing? purchase solve it.

If you korean then visit this review article http://goo.gl/epJ7p This is my formal review and written by korean language.
  5. ABG
    May 16, 2013
    I've read the entire Sherlock Holmes story collection, and played the entire series of Sherlock Holmes games from this publisher, and this game was the pinnacle of the lot. Its plotting was solid, its characters engaging, and the scenery and set pieces were top notch. Some of the characters were recognizeable from previous games, but were put to good use in the game. Others were used as active background scenery, turning their heads to watch you as you pass them in the street.

I just can't get over the Victorian color of this game. The abandoned amusement park was a sight to behold, and I loved Holmes' comment about the slide ride.

The Toby sequence was a fun surprise, and the game yanked my chain twice with surprise plot twists.

The puzzles were not cruel. I did a little more than half of them, and fell back on a walkthru occasionally for an item I had failed to spot.

Item management was well done, dropping items you no longer needed. You don't have to go far or carry a boatload of red herring items to find what you need to the next puzzle.

Video hardware requirements were not too bad, and an autosave feature is handy, kicking in when you enter new areas.

I played the game thru Steam, and the game never asked for the key code that Steam displayed.

I play adventure games as a haven from high-twitch shooters. This game was particularly kind-hearted toward its players, giving them a chance to enjoy all branches of a funny conversation tree or to poke their head out and be spotted by a guard without penalty.

I'm glad I got the game.
  6. Jul 22, 2013
    This is a puzzle-based game. So if you expect some actions in this game, you will be disappointed. All the games from Sherlock Holmes series by Frogware are puzzle-based games. So the fans of this series should know it very well. If you don't like puzzle games, do not try this game. You will get frustrated. Most of the puzzles are interesting enough although some of them are a bit mediocre. However, even the mediocre ones are good enough for brain stimulation. The clues to lead you to the right points for clicking are plenty. So you really don't need to search for clicking points all over. This is a very good thing. For puzzles and other gaming functions, I would give it 8 out 10. However, the strongest aspect of this game is actually the story. The story might have some holes. But overall the story is very original and interesting so that it will keep you going to the end because you want to know what will happen next. I would give the story of this game 10 out of 10. As a whole, therefore, I will give 9 out of 10. Expand
  7. May 29, 2013
    Certainly one of the better adventure games I have played in recent years with the only criticism being it is perhaps a little too easy even on hard difficulty (check the options). The length of the game is longer than usual for these games as well meaning you get good value. Miked007 shouldn't blame a game if he is a complete thicko. This game is easy compared to some adventure games.
  8. Dec 2, 2012
    So after finishing the game I thought I make a decent, unbiased review of this great game, because nobody cared to manage it up to this date... For me this game was one of the best games of this year. The game of the year for me was still Skyrim (its of last year, but I played for many dozens of hours in 2012), the second was Dishonored, for me the best of the year. And the 3rd runner up is the Testament. I always loved to play adventure games, I've played all the great ones and many not so great, but I rarely had so much fun with a game as with this one. I've enjoyed from the 1st minute to the last. It's sad that no adventure game can score above 80 nowadays. And it's not always the game's fault. The developing costs are much smaller than a blockbuster games... I think Frogwares managed to break this with the Testament. This is an A-game. There were only a few things I didn't like, let's go through them, maybe some of the developers show up here and read it :)
    1. It was short. OK, not THAT short, but I could have played it for many-many hours more, and I was sad that it ended, because I grew to like the Holmes-Watson team. And that is a good sign, the characters were living.
    2. Setting - kids telling the story - not again, please! A bit of creativity needed. I understand why: the story needed it, but this narrative frame ended soo cheesy, like a Hollywood blockbuster, Saving private Ryan or Independence day... This game had so much in it, beyond Holly-clichés.
    3. Sherlock isn't voiced by Jeremy Brett... Just dreaming.
    4. No tutorial. I realized almost at the end, how the 6th sense stuff worked exactly. I rarely used it, only to check if I've missed something, but still. We don't need an exhaustive one (how to move, click, etc), because you know that from other games. Teach us the stuff that's different here.
    5. Glitches in the design. Without giving away anything: I needed to cut glass, I clicked many times on everywhere on window, for no avail, than run around to find anything, any clue to help me. Than after a while came back and clicked on the spot where I needed to, exactly to cut it. I understand, OK, but I've been given the diamond and the glass, I didn't have to think, no riddle, no enigma, my life was only made harder for nothing. This is one thing I always hated in adventure games - they make our lives harder to make the game longer. But do it with riddles please, not with task like this. And there were some like this in the game, if not many. The other was a padlock somewhere, where you had to place the opening tool and click exactly in the middle, if not, you might thing there's another solution - running around again...
    6. Translation I've seen some videos of the game on youtube and the english version is far more superior than the french (I used). In the Arsene Lupin game the french version's riddles were simple as brick, while the english versions had irony, malice and intelligence in them. It felt a different game, with a different vile ( a more intelligent, more aggressive one). The breach isn't so wide in the Testament but it's still there. So this game needs no tricks, no brushed up or false reviews. It's one of the best of its genre. I'm hoping that Frogware in the meantime is making another 2-3 games of the same vein and level (or better), and they be releasing them in a few months. In a flush I bought the whole series on Steam, even though I've had 2 of them already, as a hommage if you like. Those games are mostly very far from the Testament, the latter 2 are quite good, the Ripper was the best, but the oldest ones are almost unplayable... Frogwares come a long way. Hopefully many gamer buy the Testament and prove that classic adventure games can be A-games, too. Far-far worse projects than this get millions of dollars on Kickstarter ...

In the older games I sometimes felt left alone, not knowing what to do, and sometimes looking up the walkthrough. Not because I couldn't solve a riddle but because of missing a line in a book or in conversation... Hopefully not in the Testament. And can't thank enough that Frogwares forgot the riddles where I had to type in the solution (that always had to be typed otherwise... (french translation)).

I hope there will be more FPA (First Person Adventure) games like this, or not like this, in other settings, but at least on the same level as the Testament. Because the glitches I gave a 9, but that leaves room to develop for the next Sherlock game. On that I would happily give a 10. The 75 of the critics reviews is a joke, and there are only a few user reviews (real user reviews even less).
  9. Jun 5, 2013
    This is perhaps the best Sherlock Holmes game so far. Frogwares has indeed taken into consideration all the negative criticisms that their previous installments of the series received from players. In particular, the player now has the opportunity to choose between three perspectives (first person, third person, and classical point'n'click). This is a very user-friendly feature which I haven't seen elsewhere, regarding that the first person view may cause sea sickness in a lot of players.

The graphics is extremely good, as is the voice acting. But the strongest point of the game is what we are after in adventure games: puzzles. They usually present a true challenge for the player while not being overly hard and frustrating. Frogwares even was so kind as to include a "skip" button which appears after a series of futile attempts by the player, which is ideal for those not wishing to turn to walkthroughs when faced with a challenge beyond their capabilities.

Another strong feature of the game (at least for me) is that the dialogs are spiced with humor while conforming in eloquence and wording to what is expected from the two educated Victorian protagonists.

The only reason I gave only 9 out of 10 is that the ending seems (to me) slightly out of tune with the personality of Holmes. But, of course, that might not bother others.

All in all, this is a good (and sufficiently long) game which is definitely worth your money and time.
  10. Nov 3, 2013
    "The Testament of Sherlock Holmes" is an adventure game with a pleasant plot, overall well designed and built, with unexpected elements that appear on several occasions and a Gothic atmosphere pleasantly surprising.

Personally, I also found the puzzles entertaining and understandable.

Much has already being said, and I finish saying: this game deserve a big rating.
  11. Feb 19, 2014
    Good story, challenging gameplay (if you consider games of today), a few interesting features and beautiful Victorian England.
    I won't spoil the story, but it's classic - Holmes solves a mystery with Watson's little help. The puzzles can be fun at times, but the real deal here is the deduction board. It's something that I would like to see in every game involving a mystery. It really
    forces you to fully understand the events, consequences, and motives. Shame that it only happens three times in the game.
    The same goes with switching from Holmes to Watson. It could've been done more often that twice during the gameplay. I played it after The Raven and liked it a lot more. It's finished and bug-less for a start. Definitely worth playing.

The authentic Sherlock Holmes, never uttered the phrase ‘Elementary, dear Watson’. Instead he said ‘when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth’. Thusly, when after six games, Frogware refuses stubbornly to acknowledge the fact that Sherlock Holmes’s character and nature fits perfectly in a traditional adventure game, the truth is that, as a studio, it cannot, or does not know how to, create correct puzzles. [January 2013]
  2. Dec 7, 2012
    All I can say is if you're a maniac for Sherlock Holmes stories or adventure games, then there's going to be something here for you. I'm not sure what I'd call it, but it's definitely something.
  3. Nov 22, 2012
    Despite complaints, it's a compelling story with some standout moments and surprising twists. Even more surprising is that the narrative does make sense in the end; a Sherlock Holmes story needs to be tight and logical, which this game manages to pull off overall.