8.4

1. Aug 24, 2017
    The Void is a game I hold close and dear to my heart. Let me first start off by saying, this game is not for everyone. You will either not like it, or fall in love with it, as you can tell from most of the reviews. There has been a lot of times I check the negative reviews on games I enjoy and go "Wtf are they talking about". This, however, is not the case. Everything mentioned in theThe Void is a game I hold close and dear to my heart. Let me first start off by saying, this game is not for everyone. You will either not like it, or fall in love with it, as you can tell from most of the reviews. There has been a lot of times I check the negative reviews on games I enjoy and go "Wtf are they talking about". This, however, is not the case. Everything mentioned in the negative reviews is quite accurate. This game does not hold your hand, or tell you how to you should play your game, and for good reason. There are multiple endings, which is partly why you are not given a direct "this is what you do". The second reason probably has to do with the Russian to English translations? The only negatives I can say are there for this game is:

- Lack of direction
    - Difficulty
    - Glyphs are sort of hard to draw sometimes
    - You walk way too slow

Where this game falls short it comes back in everything else in spades. This is a world that leaves you with an uncomfortable undertone of dread, and you the main character literally breath life back into it. Although the story is not clear at the beginning, through interactions with the different characters, things start to piece together, if you pay attention. I find it odd the people have said that the story isn't there... it is, it is just not obvious. The story is provided to you in a sorta Dark Souls style of way, you have to search, and piece things together, but most importantly, make connections that are not obvious or out right told to you. The game's strongest points are without a doubt in its art style, environment, and its unique story. The gameplay its self is pretty slow and not as engaging as it could be, but the gameplay oddly enough is not really the focus of the game. Essentially you take color into your body to keep you alive, but you also need to feed color into the world. You will find multiple dead plants in several zones where you can put 1 type of color into each plant in order to farm more. At the end of each cycle, the plants will be harvestable and you continue doing this until you have enough color to feed to the sisters you want to in order to open up more zones. People critic this game for having a time limit, which is definitely an outdated game technique. With that being said, this game has another name called Tension, which really defines what this game is about. This game is hard and will leave you frustrated at times, but upon completing it, you will realize that it was worth it, and you will feel extremely accomplished, but most importantly, you will be wanting more. This game will change you, I swear.
  2. ave
    Feb 11, 2015
    A quality you must acknowledge about The Void, is that the game innovates in many fields : context, challenges, controls, you name it.

You begin your journey after your death, and enter the void, a kind of limbo you may stay in as long as you can harvest colours. Your first steps are kindly suggested by a Sister, that provides you with your first survival objectives and understanding of the place.

And then you die by colour depletion, without even trying. Quite quickly I might add. So, what's next except restarting the whole game?

But in one hand you have a slow paced game about (presumably) death, and in another hand the necessity of grokking the whole thing and acting quickly. Since I found the controls too cryptic, the first attire of the underworld turned into a complete lack of interest.

I love innovation in games, but it is always dangerous to innovate in every field at the same time without any sort of volatility control. The Void could have been a great adventure game but the neverending addition of novelty ruined it for me.
  3. Dec 25, 2014
    This game truly shows a purgatory, both for the main character and for the players. This is a mesmerizing game, a beautiful game, a hard game, an unforgiving game, a philosophical game, a charming game and I said earlier it is the essence of purgatory, there will be moment when you will feel like at heaven's gates and there are moments when you will feel like you are falling towards hell.This game truly shows a purgatory, both for the main character and for the players. This is a mesmerizing game, a beautiful game, a hard game, an unforgiving game, a philosophical game, a charming game and I said earlier it is the essence of purgatory, there will be moment when you will feel like at heaven's gates and there are moments when you will feel like you are falling towards hell. When I first entered it, I was intrigued, after that I was captivated by it. In the start I failed at it miserably and I was annoyed, but slowly I learned, and the more I learned the more I loved it. This should be considered art, not just a game. Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2014
    Very unique atmosphere that will make you want to explore more. This is above all a resources management game, where you will have to constantly anticipate the next step, and so you will have to Save & Load a lot.. There is some actions part but it's not the best feature. The learning curve is really steep, I recommend you read the basic mechanics of the game on one of few guides on theVery unique atmosphere that will make you want to explore more. This is above all a resources management game, where you will have to constantly anticipate the next step, and so you will have to Save & Load a lot.. There is some actions part but it's not the best feature. The learning curve is really steep, I recommend you read the basic mechanics of the game on one of few guides on the internet (there is not that much to know, but it will save you a lot of time when playing the game). I highly recommend to try this game as it will leave you with an unforgettable experience. Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    You'll scratch your head the whole way through this game thinking "WTF", but it is worth the journey. Although there is gameplay, it is really much more of an artistic experience than a goal-oriented game. It boasts a gesture-based skill system, tons of skill unlocks, intense resource management, a dozen or so unique boss battles (which may not be intense gameplay, but are fascinatingYou'll scratch your head the whole way through this game thinking "WTF", but it is worth the journey. Although there is gameplay, it is really much more of an artistic experience than a goal-oriented game. It boasts a gesture-based skill system, tons of skill unlocks, intense resource management, a dozen or so unique boss battles (which may not be intense gameplay, but are fascinating regardless), and a great deal of surreal, disturbing, and frequently unclad imagery.

The endings (there are many to choose from) seem dissapointing and unfinished compared to the fullness of the rest of the game. Don't expect to feel satisfied when you reach one. But the journey getting there is a strange, twisted, and worthwhile roam. Set aside some time and give it a try if you're in the mood for some contemplative enjoyment.

Oh, and be warned that you Will be reverting to earlier save files and/or restarting at some point, so just accept that this is par for the course. Although not rushed, the resource management is brutal, and you'll want to come back and try different things out at times just to see what else could have happened.

Good luck!
  6. Mar 14, 2014
    Perfect game! But not everyone will be able to understand it as it is, in its form is more philosophy)
    sorry, that is not the full version in Steam.
    I do not advise people who only like shooters and murder
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    The concept artist of this game deserves a nobel. Seriously. It's a beautiful game full of immersion and deep thinking. When I first entered Uta's room... God.
    It's hard to learn, you need to read some guides, but in the end it's an enjoyable experience, very far from what "indie games" pretend to be instead of the overpriced and incomplete sketchs they are. I look foward for other games of this company.
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    Once in a while, a game will come along that is shrouded by an enigmatic setting, unique gameplay and ambient music. This game is one of them. Would've given it an 8, but it's actually a very difficult game.

Check this game out if you are:

1. Bored of your average types of games
    2. Liked the Myst series
  9. Nov 13, 2013
    More challenging than fun to get through a few sisters. The mechanics really suck so don't expect any freebies in the void ever!!! Some may call this frustrating and I may never get through the void, but at least it wasn't boring. The story is very interesting. The alien landscape stylized. The npc models are incredibly realistic and deserve applause. Makes you wanna play it over and overMore challenging than fun to get through a few sisters. The mechanics really suck so don't expect any freebies in the void ever!!! Some may call this frustrating and I may never get through the void, but at least it wasn't boring. The story is very interesting. The alien landscape stylized. The npc models are incredibly realistic and deserve applause. Makes you wanna play it over and over again to see what happens. How powerful you become. This because the game play is so relentless. I give an 8 because no perfect but 7 is just too low. Expand
  10. Jan 18, 2013
    As people have said the game is quite unforgiving, and it's pretty much impossible to complete it on your 1st try. The worst thing you can do is to keep this from playing because you are going to miss an unique masterpiece. The game is more of a work of art than regular video game like CoD. It's actually not hard at all once you know the mechanics behind game world. To truly enjoy thisAs people have said the game is quite unforgiving, and it's pretty much impossible to complete it on your 1st try. The worst thing you can do is to keep this from playing because you are going to miss an unique masterpiece. The game is more of a work of art than regular video game like CoD. It's actually not hard at all once you know the mechanics behind game world. To truly enjoy this game I'd suggest you read beginning of a faq to understand the basic mechanics - it won't spoil any of the story and it will make the game much more enjoyable experience.

Other than that, the game is absolutely awesome. It's definitely not for cod kids of your average gamer, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than 20. I wouldn't call the gameplay bad, but the strongest points of the game are it's music, story and atmosphere. You HAVE to use your brain while you play this game, not to win but to understand what the **** is going on. If you play it like brainless fps you'll be missing 90% of what makes the game awesome. If you don't like it you're probably too shallow person to appreciate it's deepness.
  11. Jan 8, 2013
    An absolutely amazing game. It is not just a game, it is a work of art. The story, while sometimes confusing due to potentially randomized phases of storytelling based on which path you took, is genius and can keep you theorizing for hours, and that's one of the best things. Unlike all the commercial garbage these days, this game doesn't serve you everything on a silver plate. You need toAn absolutely amazing game. It is not just a game, it is a work of art. The story, while sometimes confusing due to potentially randomized phases of storytelling based on which path you took, is genius and can keep you theorizing for hours, and that's one of the best things. Unlike all the commercial garbage these days, this game doesn't serve you everything on a silver plate. You need to try to understand the story your own way, as there is no theory that can be proven true. It keeps a dark and melancholic atmosphere thanks to beautiful and surreal environments and an even better, largely electronic, soundtrack. Gameplay is, at it's core, resource management and the game is unforgiving of mistakes. You will feel mortal, you will feel the need to rationally spend your resources and if you make mistakes, you will die. Maybe in a couple of minutes, maybe in several hours of playtime. Some people may hate this, but I love how hard and engaging the game is. It is a game you will love for it's artistic quality and hard gameplay, or you will hate it because of that. It's entirely up to the player. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2012
    This game has two main factors to consider when reviewing it. One of these you may love, and the other you may hate. Whether you love or hate this game depends largely on what you think of these two things.

First, the game can "break" saves. They don't get corrupted or deleted or anything like that, but it's possible to use up all your Color (magic), save, and then get stuck when you have no plausible way to get more Color on that save.

Second, the game is a work of art. The lighting is gorgeous, the environments are at once forboding and alluring, and a lot of inspiration and care went into everything. Just about everything walks the line between creepy and beautiful, and I don't know what engine they used, but the gameplay is silky smooth on any decent card. An HD 6850 or a GTX 460 will max the game at 1080p at 60fps, and it still looks perfect due in part to the minimalist style. The gameplay is unique, and the developers clearly weren't shy about showing off the human body (of both sexes), which is a welcome change of pace from the usual prudish T-rated filler with no artistic direction and no depth.

In general, (and I'm sure there will be some exceptions), whether you love the game or hate it will depend on how seriously you take both of the above points. If you can usually back up your saves and don't mind being careful, you probably won't have any problems in that regard. If you like mysterious, art and lore driven games, you'll probably love this.
  13. Aug 13, 2012
    The Void is a resource strategy game pretending to be something else, but it is so unique and beautiful that you'll force yourself to play it even after you realize that you're planting "color" and farming trees.

By design, you must play the game through several times and deduce the economics of "color". Like a classic adventure game from the 1980s, an early mistake on the first level will kill you much later, and you'll have no idea why.

Needing to rotate game saves and spend a day learning game mechanics is boring, and drawing the glyphs is too hard and just not fun. Ice-Pick could have had a blockbuster in the The Void if they did some basic play testing.
  14. Aug 8, 2012
    The Void is a very strange and atmospheric game. It definitely demands patience and careful planning, but in return it lets you explore a surreal purgatory full of haunting scenery and intriguing characters. The metaphor of Color profoundly ties you to the experience. You can literally fill your heart with anger to prepare for a large battle, and the battle will literally leave youThe Void is a very strange and atmospheric game. It definitely demands patience and careful planning, but in return it lets you explore a surreal purgatory full of haunting scenery and intriguing characters. The metaphor of Color profoundly ties you to the experience. You can literally fill your heart with anger to prepare for a large battle, and the battle will literally leave you drained. You have to give up a part of yourself every time you want to take an action in the world, and this makes you care that much more about everything you do, and everybody you meet.

The writing, voice acting, and art direction are superb. The music is probably the weakest part of the artistic side. As far as gameplay is concerned, it's really quite unique and involved for how simple the game really is. The original Russian name for the game is Tension, and indeed you spend the entire game trying to balance forces from all sides. The game is definitely manageable, but prepare to spend some time learning how everything works, and then trying again from the beginning.

The Void is so different and original that you should definitely give it a shot.
  15. Jun 26, 2012
    The game is beautifully atmospheric and very innovative. There's an awful lot I loved about it. I can't give it a good score though because the gameplay was so frustrating that I gave up after a few desperately frustrating evenings in which everything happened excruciatingly slowly. I normally have so much patience it is almost a mental abnormality, but I didn't have enough patience for this.
  16. Dec 2, 2011
    Come and have a go if you think your hard enough.

You will either adore this game, or you will tear it from your computer and smash it with a hammer. You have to be patient and you have to expect the unexpected. Nothing makes sense, it is chaotic and other-worldly, but not understanding it is how you enjoy it. The Void has no time for people who arent willing to take it seriously. Don't
    Come and have a go if you think your hard enough.

The Void has no time for people who arent willing to take it seriously. Don't get stuck, because this game gives you no mercy. You will die. This is outside-of-the-box thinking and innovation in the extreme. Its worth playing just to say you have played it.

Good luck from me, because the void doesn't give a **** about you.
  17. Oct 20, 2010
    Refreshing in its approach, yes, nerve-wrecking in its approach, a BIG YES. No real explanation of the system, constantly asking of you to balance resources without telling you any details about what kind of balance you should seek and very, very unforgiving of mistakes. I can really recommend this game only to the hardest of hard core adventure? gamers who like it the hard way -Refreshing in its approach, yes, nerve-wrecking in its approach, a BIG YES. No real explanation of the system, constantly asking of you to balance resources without telling you any details about what kind of balance you should seek and very, very unforgiving of mistakes. I can really recommend this game only to the hardest of hard core adventure? gamers who like it the hard way - constantly reloading, saving, making mistakes, replaying and on and on and on. Somebody wrote that it reminds him/her a lot of the old Sierra adventures that were incredibly punishing in their approach to gameplay dynamics. I agree, but without the excellent storyline. Expand
  18. MichaelJ.
    Jan 31, 2010
    While it does have design problems from the lack of information to the player at the beginning. The atmosphere in this game is like no other from the character design of the brothers to the desolate beauty of the levels.
  19. StevenR.
    Jan 30, 2010
    This game had great potential. The graphics were great and the environments you move around in are really interesting. That being said, the game play sucks. I hear a lot of people say, "If you like a challenge, this game is for you." I say, "If an annoying game that you have to play 50 times over from the beginning just to get to the end is what you like, then this game is for you." There This game had great potential. The graphics were great and the environments you move around in are really interesting. That being said, the game play sucks. I hear a lot of people say, "If you like a challenge, this game is for you." I say, "If an annoying game that you have to play 50 times over from the beginning just to get to the end is what you like, then this game is for you." There is something to be said for a games re-play value if you get something different out of it the times you replay it. This game is not like that. It will take you a few hours just to get used to it. Then you will have to restart because you are a dead end. And then, ten hours into it, when you think you get the hang of it, you'll realize that yet again something went wrong and you have to restart, from the beginning and have to the same things all over again, with the NPCs saying the exact same things over again. It isn't very innovative at all. It's a time / resource management game that has sharp game terminations. You have no physical body in the game, so you have to draw symbols ( "glyphs" ) with your precious recourses ( "Color" ) in order to interact with the world. That is. Nothing too amazing there. As a matter of fact it far too annoying an tedious for what it has to offer. Expand
  20. KimS
    Jan 19, 2010
    This is the breath of fresh air from cliche games, that some of us may have strived for. Definite 10 for innovativeness, that shines so hard, it let's us overlook some of the games flaws.
  21. AnonEMouse
    Jan 13, 2010
    A great achievement. The learning curve is steep, but once over that, you find a beautifully crafted world filled with epic monsters and innovative gameplay. Color being used as the universal resource is very interesting and forces the player to think in a new way. Attempting to play this like any other survival type game will get you killed. Repeatedly. Once past this however, the true A great achievement. The learning curve is steep, but once over that, you find a beautifully crafted world filled with epic monsters and innovative gameplay. Color being used as the universal resource is very interesting and forces the player to think in a new way. Attempting to play this like any other survival type game will get you killed. Repeatedly. Once past this however, the true depth of the game shows itself and it's very hard to put down. Buy it from steam when it goes on sale, and give it a chance. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  22. PedroR
    Jan 6, 2010
    I give this game a 10! It is simply amazing. You will fall in love with the surrealism and the amazing characters. You will also freak out a lot. If you are a trigger-happy, action fan, then no, you won't like. If you love a good story, then yes.
  23. PaulM
    Dec 24, 2009
    Its amizing game. No it not a game more like art i was amazed of this surrealistic image, gamplay. Its not like another stupid game its something more. But not for everyone. hah Polish version are in stores from year dalay to eastern countries are funny. Im glad to live in Poland :P
  24. LachlanS
    Dec 23, 2009
    Amazing genre-breaking gameplay experience that will keep you coming back for more. The Void is a journey of constant learning and discovery. It's a bit frustrating until you realize that the game won't hold your hand, that you have to figure out a lot of things yourself. In the end though, you'll feel more free than in any "sandbox" game(like GTA4 or Oblivion) and yet Amazing genre-breaking gameplay experience that will keep you coming back for more. The Void is a journey of constant learning and discovery. It's a bit frustrating until you realize that the game won't hold your hand, that you have to figure out a lot of things yourself. In the end though, you'll feel more free than in any "sandbox" game(like GTA4 or Oblivion) and yet you'll rarely feel lost or aimless. I consider The Void to be the best "experimental" game of the year. Its gameplay is like nothing you've ever seen before and yet it doesn't feel broken or poorly put together. It's a solid experience that will change the way you look at mainstream games. Expand
  25. GregB
    Dec 21, 2009
    This is the Demon's Souls of adventure games. So if you like a super duper challenge, reloading games, repeating the same content over and over when it becomes apparent that you've hit a dead end, this is the game for you. Interesting atmosphere and story? Yes. Interesting enough to bash my head into a concrete wall trying to figure out the resource management? For me, no. Watch This is the Demon's Souls of adventure games. So if you like a super duper challenge, reloading games, repeating the same content over and over when it becomes apparent that you've hit a dead end, this is the game for you. Interesting atmosphere and story? Yes. Interesting enough to bash my head into a concrete wall trying to figure out the resource management? For me, no. Watch Yahtzee's review of the game Demon's Souls on Zero Punctuation. It fits for this game as well. Collapse
  26. DanielC
    Dec 17, 2009
    My game of the year, and Zachrid W.'s criticism are legitimate but I would like to point out that everything which he complains about in the game was a deliberate choice. You have to figure thing's out for yourself, most of what is fun and interesting about this game is learning and exploring and gaining an understanding of you surroundings and figuring how the game works. Most My game of the year, and Zachrid W.'s criticism are legitimate but I would like to point out that everything which he complains about in the game was a deliberate choice. You have to figure thing's out for yourself, most of what is fun and interesting about this game is learning and exploring and gaining an understanding of you surroundings and figuring how the game works. Most games are essentially just about following instructions. Designers tell you what to do and you do it and that's supposed to be fun, well that's not how The Void works, you have to think and experiment and you probably wont do it right at first but that's cool, you get to figure stuff out. When approached properly the game is fascinating. It's kind of an adventure game but it's totally not point and click. It's all about gathering information about you environment and using it. Figuring out what works and doing it. These are the thing's that I enjoy about games. The chance to explore and learning about new worlds so I love this game Expand
  27. Collic.
    Nov 4, 2009
    Everyone should at least try this game. You won't have played anything like it before.
  28. ZachridW.
    Nov 3, 2009
    I may be writing this a little bit soon, but this game has the potential to frustrate you seriously. I really admire games in which you start with a 'WTF'-expression on your face and then have to figure out what you are supposed to do. "Penumbra: Overture" was a great game that way. The problem is, that there is no concrete feedback for your actions and so you can easily I may be writing this a little bit soon, but this game has the potential to frustrate you seriously. I really admire games in which you start with a 'WTF'-expression on your face and then have to figure out what you are supposed to do. "Penumbra: Overture" was a great game that way. The problem is, that there is no concrete feedback for your actions and so you can easily navigate yourself into a dead end and waste a couple of savegames, without even realizing it. For instance, you always need to keep some of the "collected color" (yeah, you collect color here) inside your body, while you are on the map-screen, otherwise you die. Easy enough, but you are always processing this color, you put into you body from your stock, into "color you can use" - meaning that you always have to refill the color-chambers inside of you and keep an eye on your stock. The color only respawns at the beginning of each "cycle", so if you are making the mistake to process too much color at one point, you may not have enough to to survive the rest of the circle - because you already have collected evey drop throughout the map. The next thing is: I always got an audio message when I did something wrong, but I never had an idea how serious the impact of my actions was. So I just made my thing, tried to survive the circles, do the quests, collect as much color as possible and donate some of it to NPCs, so I could get access to more areas... but suddenly, at the beginning of a new circle I got attacked by a boss, because "I overdone it" or something like that. I didn't even got the option to flee and so I was out of color (= Life, Ammo, Mana) and in the middle of a bossfight. I could neither attack him, nor survive his attacks or even had a idea how to beat him. I didn't had a any chance to rethink my actions, because the punishment killed me at the end of the cycle and not at the moment I gone to far. Besides, the only thing I did wrong in my eyes was wasting color, and this just because the game often didn't recognized what spell I wanted to cast. So my whole turn was in vain and perhaps don't know how may turns before that one too. Another thing is, that a NPC asked me for green and golden color so I could access more levels, not knowing this in the first place I used that up for spells. But the real problem was, that within the next cycles every other color spwaned, but not the two I needed. So I was struck for a few circles in the first few chambers without being able to do anything useful. ...did I mention that this game has only 35 circles? Yeah, It has a fricking timelimit for the whole game. This game is a blance act, but without you having any sense of balance. It gives you only vague directions, but is unforgiving if you break one of it's rules. It's like one of the old Sierra Adventures: Eat the pie at the beginning of the game and you will never defeat the yeti at the end of the game. This could have been a GREAT and atmospheric game, but like this, it is just frustrating - without a decent walkthrough you will have to start it over A LOT to find out how you have to beat it ... and this is not how games are supposed to work these days. Expand

1. The Void has its fascinating sides, lucid colors on dull grey, bizarrely warped beings, floating bodies and bare breast. Surrealism plays a huge role in this otherwise quite simple game. Using an out-of-date function like time limits is simply annoying. But the game manages to surprise from time to time and is still worth giving it a try, despite the weaknesses.
  2. A solid "A" for innovation and delivering it in the highest professional manner.
  3. Titled as an action-adventure, this game is not typical. The best way to describe it, is like a modern art picture. You’ll find bizarre and beautiful elements and it his hard to understand, what the game is telling the player. The plot takes place between life and death and the melancholical spoken dialogues are good performed. So if u like to play around with uncommon gameplay, the void is a nice try.